PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brisbane Airshow
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2022, 06:24
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
I'd tend to agree with you Woo, a very similar program seems to be the norm no matter where held, and while I guess it makes it simple for his staff to organise - for the majority of fliers once you've seen it once, there's little to attract you to watch the aeros a second time.

Even something from RAAus, a Drifter or Bantam highlighting the low-and-slow end of the spectrum could do wonders, showing off affordable aviation to the punters. Not everyone wants to, or can afford, an Extra or Pitts, but a Thruster or other rag-and-tube machine can be within the reach of the majority of attendees. An aerobatic demo from an RV or something at home along with appropriate commentary "Here we have Biggles in his RV-7 coming in from the west. Biggles built his RV in his garage from a kit, like a big Meccano set! and has flown it all over Australia! Not bad for something that you too, can build and fly!"

Fancy flying is great to watch...once... but airshows need to be more than that. Certainly if we want to keep GA alive in Australia we need to entice more people to fly, and omitting the lawn-darts with their displays, RAAus / HGFA / ASRA or the SAAA seems to me to be a lost opportunity to do that.