Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions
Reload this Page >

Melbourne stage 4 lockdown and GA

The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Melbourne stage 4 lockdown and GA

Old 23rd Aug 2020, 00:20
  #141 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 485
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
What you didn’t know was that the virus responsible for this problem was a single strain until I passed that on to you on 5 August.
Unless you read it in the news weeks earlier e.g. ABC 20 July:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-...ourne/12471916

The Age 3 July:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...03-p558og.html
andrewr is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 00:24
  #142 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 358
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
My advice was (a) it was a single strain, and (b) it was a shocker as far as transmission went.
Again, nobody disagreed that it may be (a), which has been proven correct due to a family of 4 at Rydges being the single point source of the current outbreak in Vic.

Your theory of (b), this variation being the most infectious, has been doing the rounds with scientific institutes since the pandemic began. This theory can never be proven - it's not ethical to test the virulence of different pathogenic strains on humans. Anecdotal evidence is not enough to determine virulence.

I'm not a virologist either - I did work for DHHS for around 10 years in Brett Sutton's Public Health Branch. I no longer work there.
Stickshift3000 is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 01:03
  #143 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,039
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunfish, peer reviewed doesn't mean, "an unqualified person on an anonymous pilot forum is certain that this will pass muster"

Surely you would have learned critical reading and paraphrasing before you did your PhD on epidemiology?

There is nothing in the abstract or title of this preprint, (which was done on sample n=903 about three months before the quarantine breach) that indicates "Latest advice is that the Melbourne outbreak is caused by a mutation that makes its C19 strain the most infectious so far on the planet."
Clare Prop is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 01:37
  #144 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,512
Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts
Itís clear youíre here for some kind of self gratification.

Facebook would be much better for you to use, because you can see how many likes you get live and you donít have to keep posting back saying how you were right and waiting for everyone to agree with you. You can also see who pressed like.

Plus your warning about how this is the worst mutation in the world would have reached a larger audience, rather than just a few pilots on a forum.
Squawk7700 is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 02:34
  #145 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700 View Post
Itís clear youíre here for some kind of self gratification.

Facebook would be much better for you to use, because you can see how many likes you get live and you donít have to keep posting back saying how you were right and waiting for everyone to agree with you. You can also see who pressed like.

Plus your warning about how this is the worst mutation in the world would have reached a larger audience, rather than just a few pilots on a forum.
Squawky don't send Sunny away he's amusing the masses-)
machtuk is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 03:27
  #146 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: moon
Posts: 3,522
Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Do you think I made it up Squawk?
Sunfish is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 06:13
  #147 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,512
Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Do you think I made it up Squawk?
I donít care in the slightest if you made it up or not, but it seems weird that you allegedly know someone who works in the industry and youíre happy to take his/her messages and pass them on to an anonymous forum in some attempt to enhance your credibility or standing here and thus possibly jeopardise their position of trust and possibly their employment.
Squawk7700 is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 08:14
  #148 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just close this thread, it's just Sunfish demonstrating his over inflated sense of self worth, and the trouble when you fight with an idiot is they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
UnaMas is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 09:48
  #149 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: moon
Posts: 3,522
Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Squawk and others, So we start with disbelief. Then we attack the message. Then we attack the credibility of the messenger. Then lastly at #147 we do an absolute backflip and say I’m jeopardising the employment of someone who told me something?

‘Mate, doesn’t that completely contradict what you said earlier? Since I’m obviously (according to you) talking BS, exactly whose employment could I be compromising?

I don’t particularly care if I am regarded as an unreliable source, I am not a virologist. However I can be trusted to report what I was told, along with four other people.

Sunfish is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 10:03
  #150 (permalink)  
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,109
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back on thread please.
Charlie Foxtrot India is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 10:24
  #151 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 358
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
However I can be trusted to report what I was told, along with four other people.
Mate, I'm not particularly interested in the hypothesis, nor your hearsay.

An absolute fact is that your sources can't ever prove that the predominant strain currently in Melbourne is more infectious than any other. To say say it is (whether you're simply passing on hearsay or not), is disingenuous.
Stickshift3000 is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 11:31
  #152 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,512
Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
However I can be trusted to report what I was told, along with four other people.
Oh, well that changes things markedly if you say we can trust you!
Squawk7700 is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 11:56
  #153 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,064
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
Who are the four other people that you are nominating to be trusted?
Lookleft is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.