Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > North America
Reload this Page >

ICAO to FAA CPL

North America Still the busiest region for commercial aviation.

ICAO to FAA CPL

Old 31st May 2021, 12:31
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: FL370
Age: 35
Posts: 188
ICAO to FAA CPL

Hello. Been going around the internet to find information regarding the license conversion from ICAO To FAA. After researching online, I have a few questions that need some insight. I have 1500 Hrs TT, with 1250 on FBW jets (Only 250 TT on SE piston)

1. A lot of information is available online for the traditional piston to piston conversion for but for a jet pilot who has logged more hours on FBW jets than pistons, going back to piston engines and appearing for a check ride seems to be a bit difficult. Would anyone know if a simulator can be hired to carry out the check ride?

2. Any FTOs that have a good reputation when it comes to assisting in the conversion process?

3. A rough idea on the estimated timelines would be appreciated.

Any other information is also welcomed !

TIA !
Ilyushin76 is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 13:48
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,680
-76,

I'm far from an expert on these matters but I'll kick off the discussion. If you Google "a320 faa type rating miami" (For discussion purposes, I'm assuming your FBW time is an A320), you'll get the names of a few organizations providing type ratings.

Unless something has changed, you'll have to take the ATP-CTP course before being allowed to take the FAA ATP written. I don't know if the Miami organizations provide the ATP-CTP course because I didn't dig that deeply into it.

And you'll need the FAA-required flight time breakdown for things like PIC and cross country, etc. Start reading here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.153


Some actual experts will come along to fill in the blanks in my attempt to provide info.

Last edited by bafanguy; 31st May 2021 at 14:28.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 14:41
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 505
Unfortunately conversation to CPL FAA can't be done in a simulator. Some aerobatic maneuvers are required as well as some map navigation. You will also need to do an IR test too.

​​​​​​ICAO ATPL to ATP is the only one that can be done in a simulator.
Climb150 is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 16:17
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,680
Ah so....I misunderstood since he's got 1500 hours mostly in an air carrier airplane I thought he was considering an FAA ATP.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2021, 16:26
  #5 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: FL370
Age: 35
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by Climb150 View Post
Unfortunately conversation to CPL FAA can't be done in a simulator. Some aerobatic maneuvers are required as well as some map navigation. You will also need to do an IR test too.

​​​​​​ICAO ATPL to ATP is the only one that can be done in a simulator.
Makes sense !Many thanks everyone for your replies !
Ilyushin76 is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2021, 20:16
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,680
Originally Posted by Ilyushin76 View Post
Makes sense !Many thanks everyone for your replies !
Just out of curiosity, what will an FAA CPL do for you ?
bafanguy is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2021, 21:06
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 505
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
Just out of curiosity, what will an FAA CPL do for you ?
Probably provides a licence that is much easier to keep current than an EASA one.
Climb150 is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2021, 21:30
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,680
Originally Posted by Climb150 View Post
Probably provides a licence that is much easier to keep current than an EASA one.

Yes, that's true. But then what does he do with a current FAA CPL ? He hasn't offered enough detail about his current status and future plans.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 19:31
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 263
Originally Posted by Climb150 View Post
Unfortunately conversation to CPL FAA can't be done in a simulator. Some aerobatic maneuvers are required as well as some map navigation. You will also need to do an IR test too.

​​​​​​ICAO ATPL to ATP is the only one that can be done in a simulator.
He could go straight to an ATP and bypass the ATP if he meets ATP experience mins in part 61.
havick is offline  
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 23:50
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,853
The problem with doing anything in a sim is the training center can only do what they have approved course syllabuses for. In theory you could do a VFR commercial type rating in a sim but I doubt any training center has a course for it. I'm thinking the "aerobatic maneuvers" Climb references are the chandelles and Lazy 8s but they are only required for a SE commercial. There is also the requirement to hold a FAA PVT to qualify for a commercial. You could get a 61.75 "based on" PVT but it's another hoop to jump through.
MarkerInbound is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 08:03
  #11 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: FL370
Age: 35
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
Yes, that's true. But then what does he do with a current FAA CPL ? He hasn't offered enough detail about his current status and future plans.
Apologies for not furnishing any details. I am currently flying as a first officer on the A320F. I hold an ICAO CPL (Not EASA). Almost done with 1500 hrs TT. 1000 + are on the A320F.

Most of the jobs I've applied to in places like central and east Asia prefer the FAA / Transport Canada and EASA license for jobs. It seems their check pilots are authorized to conduct flight checks on these licenses only. Could be another reason that I am unaware of.

A universally accepted license such as the FAA would allow me to hop around in Asia and gain some good experience.

From what I have been told by a FSDO based in NY state, I would have to go through the CPL / ATP course on light aircraft in the US to get my license converted. Immediate conversion is only possible to the FAA PPL. That option is a bit unfeasible for me in terms of finances and time. Transferring the rating to the FAA license is additional cost. Quite steep if you ask me.

EASA is far too expensive to convert as well although they do facilitate the conversion process via simulators.

Suggestions for an economical conversion would be welcomed though. Someone suggested Maldives and Phillippines but I do not know the reputation of those licenses.

Many thanks !
Ilyushin76 is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 08:04
  #12 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: FL370
Age: 35
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by MarkerInbound View Post
The problem with doing anything in a sim is the training center can only do what they have approved course syllabuses for. In theory you could do a VFR commercial type rating in a sim but I doubt any training center has a course for it. I'm thinking the "aerobatic maneuvers" Climb references are the chandelles and Lazy 8s but they are only required for a SE commercial. There is also the requirement to hold a FAA PVT to qualify for a commercial. You could get a 61.75 "based on" PVT but it's another hoop to jump through.
Agreed. It is quite complex and tedious. My father also converted his ATP back in 1982. Things were much simpler then
Ilyushin76 is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 10:42
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,680
Originally Posted by Ilyushin76 View Post
Most of the jobs I've applied to in places like central and east Asia prefer the FAA / Transport Canada and EASA license for jobs.

A universally accepted license such as the FAA would allow me to hop around in Asia and gain some good experience.
Understand. There's no easy or inexpensive way to do this. Good luck with your plan...hope it goes your way.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 21:26
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 263
Originally Posted by Ilyushin76 View Post
Apologies for not furnishing any details. I am currently flying as a first officer on the A320F. I hold an ICAO CPL (Not EASA). Almost done with 1500 hrs TT. 1000 + are on the A320F.

Most of the jobs I've applied to in places like central and east Asia prefer the FAA / Transport Canada and EASA license for jobs. It seems their check pilots are authorized to conduct flight checks on these licenses only. Could be another reason that I am unaware of.

A universally accepted license such as the FAA would allow me to hop around in Asia and gain some good experience.

From what I have been told by a FSDO based in NY state, I would have to go through the CPL / ATP course on light aircraft in the US to get my license converted. Immediate conversion is only possible to the FAA PPL. That option is a bit unfeasible for me in terms of finances and time. Transferring the rating to the FAA license is additional cost. Quite steep if you ask me.

EASA is far too expensive to convert as well although they do facilitate the conversion process via simulators.

Suggestions for an economical conversion would be welcomed though. Someone suggested Maldives and Phillippines but I do not know the reputation of those licenses.

Many thanks !
Read part 61. If your meet the experience requirements for an FAA ATP you can go straight to and ATP as part of a type ride or type renewal in the sim.
havick is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 22:58
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,680
Originally Posted by havick View Post
Read part 61. If your meet the experience requirements for an FAA ATP you can go straight to and ATP as part of a type ride or type renewal in the sim.
He may be deterred by the money it'd take to get an FAA ATP with A320 type rating. It's probably a bundle when you throw in ATP-CTP course, ATP written, hotel/food cost, etc.

bafanguy is offline  
Old 4th Jun 2021, 08:11
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 263
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
He may be deterred by the money it'd take to get an FAA ATP with A320 type rating. It's probably a bundle when you throw in ATP-CTP course, ATP written, hotel/food cost, etc.
If the intent is to bounce around Asia as contract expat then itd probably be worthwhile getting a common type on their FAA certificate combined with an ATP ride.
havick is offline  
Old 7th Jul 2021, 08:10
  #17 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: FL370
Age: 35
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
He may be deterred by the money it'd take to get an FAA ATP with A320 type rating. It's probably a bundle when you throw in ATP-CTP course, ATP written, hotel/food cost, etc.
That I agree I am. The associated costs are far too high.
Ilyushin76 is offline  
Old 7th Jul 2021, 08:12
  #18 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: FL370
Age: 35
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by havick View Post
Read part 61. If your meet the experience requirements for an FAA ATP you can go straight to and ATP as part of a type ride or type renewal in the sim.
I will most definitely look into that. Many thanks sir !
Ilyushin76 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.