PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO to FAA CPL
Thread: ICAO to FAA CPL
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 08:03
Ilyushin76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
Yes, that's true. But then what does he do with a current FAA CPL ? He hasn't offered enough detail about his current status and future plans.
Apologies for not furnishing any details. I am currently flying as a first officer on the A320F. I hold an ICAO CPL (Not EASA). Almost done with 1500 hrs TT. 1000 + are on the A320F.

Most of the jobs I've applied to in places like central and east Asia prefer the FAA / Transport Canada and EASA license for jobs. It seems their check pilots are authorized to conduct flight checks on these licenses only. Could be another reason that I am unaware of.

A universally accepted license such as the FAA would allow me to hop around in Asia and gain some good experience.

From what I have been told by a FSDO based in NY state, I would have to go through the CPL / ATP course on light aircraft in the US to get my license converted. Immediate conversion is only possible to the FAA PPL. That option is a bit unfeasible for me in terms of finances and time. Transferring the rating to the FAA license is additional cost. Quite steep if you ask me.

EASA is far too expensive to convert as well although they do facilitate the conversion process via simulators.

Suggestions for an economical conversion would be welcomed though. Someone suggested Maldives and Phillippines but I do not know the reputation of those licenses.

Many thanks !