Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Can Wigston survive the onslaught?

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Can Wigston survive the onslaught?

Old 29th Sep 2022, 15:49
  #281 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Temporarily missing from the Joe Louis Arena
Posts: 2,133
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
There are certain things that only Officers know, such as the secret handshake, and they need to be taught these things.
The essentials that used to be taught on the "vicars and tarts course"?
The Helpful Stacker is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 29th Sep 2022, 17:45
  #282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: not scotland
Posts: 362
Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by charliegolf
Then why waste a day at Cranwell. Give them a uniform and say, at 2359 you are an officer. On your way.

CG
Perhaps they wanted their day to celebrate their promotion. Much as any Officer would rather have had their graduation parade and ball rather than getting their ranks thrown to them and being told to get on their way.

I was at the College during Covid and all graduating cadets were upset at the mandatory changes due to the virus.

The former WOs don’t wear the bands on their headdress because only Officer Cadets wear them. WOs on the CWOC are not Officer Cadets.



Last edited by Toadstool; 29th Sep 2022 at 17:57.
Toadstool is offline  
Old 29th Sep 2022, 17:50
  #283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: York
Posts: 630
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by The Helpful Stacker
The essentials that used to be taught on the "vicars and tarts course"?
Originally Posted by MPN11
There are certain things that only Officers know, such as the secret handshake, and they need to be taught these things.
oh we knew that, just led you to think at least you had one thing over us 😉
dctyke is offline  
Old 29th Sep 2022, 18:10
  #284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Often in Jersey, but mainly in the past.
Age: 79
Posts: 7,844
Received 150 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by dctyke
oh we knew that, just led you to think at least you had one thing over us 😉
No problem … Officer Cadet in both RN and RAF taught me humility! 😎
MPN11 is offline  
Old 30th Sep 2022, 10:41
  #285 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Darling - where are we?
Posts: 2,580
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Just This Once...
That politicians are foolish?

Wiggy may have wanted to be a CO but the RAF decided otherwise. He may have wanted to be an AOC but the RAF made the decision to appoint others instead. Wiggy's sponsors may have got him to 2-star but he only got the conciliation prize of a mediocre joint appointment before he limped to 3-star. Neither the RAF or MOD pushed him further but the then Secretary of Defence (the one that told Russia to 'go away') ignored the candidate list for CAS and pushed Wiggy into the job instead.

Outside of being a squadron boss (technically an OC post only), Wiggy's stint as CAS is his first proper command tour. That choice has aged like fine milk.
I would have thought that Tornado Force Commander and Commander British Forces Cyprus would have been command appointments?
Melchett01 is offline  
Old 30th Sep 2022, 11:40
  #286 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Inverness
Posts: 79
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Melchett01
I would have thought that Tornado Force Commander and Commander British Forces Cyprus would have been command appointments?
A further twist in the tale is that he is now the Senior Duty Holder for all aircraft in the RAF but he's never been a Delivery Duty Holder nor an Operating Duty Holder.

In DSA01.2 Chapter 2 available via Gov.uk it says : The ODH and DDH should be able to demonstrate that: a) they have the ability to manage the RtL for which they are accountable by having appropriate authority and influence to implement agreed mitigation, including the necessary budgetary involvement; b) they are suitably qualified and experienced to undertake their delegated responsibilities;

How has he demonstrated his ability for the current post in this regard when the two preceding steps for SDH SQEP have not been trodden?
Nil_Drift is offline  
Old 30th Sep 2022, 13:18
  #287 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: where-ever nav's chooses....
Posts: 834
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Nil_Drift
A further twist in the tale is that he is now the Senior Duty Holder for all aircraft in the RAF but he's never been a Delivery Duty Holder nor an Operating Duty Holder.

In DSA01.2 Chapter 2 available via Gov.uk it says : The ODH and DDH should be able to demonstrate that: a) they have the ability to manage the RtL for which they are accountable by having appropriate authority and influence to implement agreed mitigation, including the necessary budgetary involvement; b) they are suitably qualified and experienced to undertake their delegated responsibilities;

How has he demonstrated his ability for the current post in this regard when the two preceding steps for SDH SQEP have not been trodden?
we’ve been through this - that entire point of the SDH having a Senior Operator and Senior Engineer is to provide that SQEP.
alfred_the_great is offline  
Old 30th Sep 2022, 13:40
  #288 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Their Target for Tonight
Posts: 582
Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alfred_the_great
we’ve been through this - that entire point of the SDH having a Senior Operator and Senior Engineer is to provide that SQEP.
In addition, Haddon-Cave was clear that these should be dedicated 2-star positions. That is not the case for either post.
Red Line Entry is offline  
Old 30th Sep 2022, 16:48
  #289 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Up Narf
Posts: 452
Received 174 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Just This Once...
That politicians are foolish?

Wiggy may have wanted to be a CO but the RAF decided otherwise. He may have wanted to be an AOC but the RAF made the decision to appoint others instead. Wiggy's sponsors may have got him to 2-star but he only got the conciliation prize of a mediocre joint appointment before he limped to 3-star. Neither the RAF or MOD pushed him further but the then Secretary of Defence (the one that told Russia to 'go away') ignored the candidate list for CAS and pushed Wiggy into the job instead.

Outside of being a squadron boss (technically an OC post only), Wiggy's stint as CAS is his first proper command tour. That choice has aged like fine milk.
He was CO of 903EAW out in Basrah. Group Captain post you will find that was. I know as I was out there when he was.
Diff Tail Shim is offline  
Old 30th Sep 2022, 16:53
  #290 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: W. Scotland
Posts: 659
Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Line Entry
In addition, Haddon-Cave was clear that these should be dedicated 2-star positions. That is not the case for either post.
I think the recommendation only said "senior rank". With other posts being downgraded maybe these were too?
dervish is offline  
Old 1st Jan 2023, 22:50
  #291 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nevada, USA
Posts: 1,647
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Latest on D&I from CAS, 1SL and CGS:

RAFEngO74to09 is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2023, 16:54
  #292 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nevada, USA
Posts: 1,647
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Coming up live - CAS 1 Feb 03 Committees - UK Parliament
RAFEngO74to09 is offline  
Old 27th Jan 2023, 12:26
  #293 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GMT
Age: 53
Posts: 2,098
Received 200 Likes on 78 Posts
Popcorn at the ready.
minigundiplomat is offline  
Old 27th Jan 2023, 13:07
  #294 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baston
Posts: 3,318
Received 780 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat
Popcorn at the ready.
Let us hope the inquisitors are well briefed.
langleybaston is offline  
Old 27th Jan 2023, 20:53
  #295 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Gloucs
Posts: 41
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes. .
Stratnumberone is offline  
Old 27th Jan 2023, 21:21
  #296 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 836
Received 119 Likes on 53 Posts
So, what questions would we ask CAS if we were on the Defence select committee?

Apart from the obvious training pipeline question.

My starter is; “ What is the NATO minimum flying hours per month for a fast jet pilot and how many RAF fast jet pilots achieve that”.

And if the answer involves synthetic training;

” How many Typhoon training devices reflect the current software and mod state of the aircraft”


Timelord is offline  
Old 28th Jan 2023, 00:42
  #297 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Alles Über
Posts: 382
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Timelord
My starter is; “ What is the NATO minimum flying hours per month for a fast jet pilot and how many RAF fast jet pilots achieve that”.

And if the answer involves synthetic training;

” How many Typhoon training devices reflect the current software and mod state of the aircraft”
Is there a NATO FOB prescribing such a currency? If not, should there be as per the budget best effort?

Keeping in mind no two hours are the same, are they quality hours over quantity hours?

We've all got in the sim fires burning doing the perceived important stuff, but how many errors/mistakes are made on start up, take off, landing, shut down for example, that just aren't practiced in the sim yet are inescapable in live flying?
trim it out is offline  
Old 1st Feb 2023, 15:01
  #298 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Carterton
Posts: 27
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Not a great advert, is he!
Atlasisrubbish is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 1st Feb 2023, 15:20
  #299 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baston
Posts: 3,318
Received 780 Likes on 269 Posts
Dreadful lack of eye contact, looks shifty ...................
Too much hand-waving. Sit on your hands, look them in the eye, take charge for God's sake.

How not to impress in an interview context

Very high blink rate.

Would you buy a car from him?
langleybaston is offline  
Old 1st Feb 2023, 15:31
  #300 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Ibstock
Posts: 67
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
And he’s the best of the best!
A dark day for a once great RAF.
Countdown begins is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.