Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Joining Qatar airways (Master thread)-2

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Joining Qatar airways (Master thread)-2

Old 2nd Nov 2022, 10:10
  #641 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Qatar
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have LPJ QA Gouge subscription still valid for more than 6 months as I bought for 1 year. If anyone interested to buy hit me up in the inbox.
theflyingbunny is offline  
Old 2nd Nov 2022, 10:53
  #642 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: .
Posts: 168
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DHC-7 View Post
G’day gents,

Are they picky on the “recent and current on type within 12 months” requirement? Not a hum heard since applying many months back, except for the automated reply confirmation receipt of application. 8,000 hrs total of which 2,500 hrs plus on the A330 and others flown as well. Just not current/recent since being packed off, due to the pandemic.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but, the QCAA requires license currency for conversion. It used to be 6mo remaining validity on date of joining. Getting a sim check to bring your currency up to date would be required.
WrldWide is online now  
Old 3rd Nov 2022, 13:07
  #643 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: around the corner
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WrldWide View Post
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but, the QCAA requires license currency for conversion. It used to be 6mo remaining validity on date of joining. Getting a sim check to bring your currency up to date would be required.

Many thanks. Much appreciated.
DHC-7 is online now  
Old 3rd Nov 2022, 15:19
  #644 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: ??-ask crewing
Posts: 165
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you need six months. Just be current at interview. I think. Onboarding is entirely DIY, and Kafkaesque, to the point I wouldn't bother.
Sick is offline  
Old 14th Nov 2022, 10:46
  #645 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Philippines
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
been around 5 weeks since i did my PSA. status still says "invited for PSA." did it take this long for anyone else too?
pilota320pilot is offline  
Old 18th Nov 2022, 03:16
  #646 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: India
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good evening
Does Qatar has non poaching agreement with any Indian airlines?
Kill2Fly is offline  
Old 19th Nov 2022, 07:38
  #647 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Max Cont Thrust
Posts: 52
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indigo
FalseGS is offline  
Old 19th Nov 2022, 20:59
  #648 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Doha
Posts: 25
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm hearing things are slowing down with recruitment after the World Cup, seems like they might have gotten what they need due to more imminent groundings of A350.
Camel herder is offline  
Old 20th Nov 2022, 12:04
  #649 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oscar87 View Post
Hi everyone,I got email from “ propel İnternational “ today.gave me 7 days to do.inform after doing👍🏻
​​​​​​​I got two emails, one from Qatar Airways and another from Propel. Former email says to complete test in 3 days, whereas propel says validity is 7. Which one is it?
CaptainGrizzly is offline  
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 21:39
  #650 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brexland
Posts: 206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions!

Got sent the tests in August, did them out of curiosity and have been invited to interview every month since but haven't been able to accept any of the dates as they were all within 4 - 6 weeks notice. Boeing Capt applying for Boeing FO.

Right... interview booked end of January. I have a raft of questions if anyone can help out as I am looking for some advice:

I've got a cushy number right now, LHS, 40 days AL plus 40 days off at my request, £140k for 500 hrs a year but it is going to expire at some point in the next 2 years forever and what awaits is LCC hell for eternity.

So, I'm going to go and sus this place out and see how I feel after.

1) Whats an FO getting into their hand on average
2) 5 to 6 years back to command isn't a deal breaker but ideally I wouldn't accept a start date until late 2023 but how much would I be screwing myself over by delaying. Mid 30s right now.

3) how much out of the take home is going to go on schooling, 3 kids

4) Wife is up for it so that is fine but while it might sound mad the main thing holding me back is my middle daughter is a bit of a sports star, she loves football and I couldn't bring her anywhere she couldn't join a team and do what she loves, do these things exist for expats? Like proper weekly leagues for girls etc, I'm super sceptical and while it might seem crazy to base career decisions on stuff like that I love my daughter and would go fly rubber dildos out of Hong Kong before I'd stop her playing football.

5) Anyone going in Jan feel free to PM me

6) Provident fund, what are the actual figures, I've tried asking this in the Emirates thread and here before but never get any concrete numbers, I've got 40k a year going into my pension right now including personal contributions, is it at least on par?

thanks for the help
Whitemonk Returns is online now  
Old 24th Nov 2022, 20:47
  #651 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1: 22575 basic, 300 transport allowance, 33 telephone, 1500 utilities, 13000 housing (if not in company housing) 105 per actual block hour.
2. 5 to 6 years in your dreams. if you join now it will be at least 10+ years. FO's who are doing their command now are 7-8 years in the company, and many joined after them.
3. you get 125.000, if you want a good school, count on 70.000 per kid. Unless you put them in the Oryx school, together with lots of non western kids.
4. There are no weekly leagues in Qatar. Just some clubs who do training like twice a week. Occasionally they schedule a match against someone, but this is on like a friendly basis.
6. if you decide to join the investment fund, you put 5% of your basic, QR puts 10% basic. You can do another 10% on a voluntarily basis.

Originally Posted by Whitemonk Returns View Post
Got sent the tests in August, did them out of curiosity and have been invited to interview every month since but haven't been able to accept any of the dates as they were all within 4 - 6 weeks notice. Boeing Capt applying for Boeing FO.

Right... interview booked end of January. I have a raft of questions if anyone can help out as I am looking for some advice:

I've got a cushy number right now, LHS, 40 days AL plus 40 days off at my request, £140k for 500 hrs a year but it is going to expire at some point in the next 2 years forever and what awaits is LCC hell for eternity.

So, I'm going to go and sus this place out and see how I feel after.

1) Whats an FO getting into their hand on average
2) 5 to 6 years back to command isn't a deal breaker but ideally I wouldn't accept a start date until late 2023 but how much would I be screwing myself over by delaying. Mid 30s right now.

3) how much out of the take home is going to go on schooling, 3 kids

4) Wife is up for it so that is fine but while it might sound mad the main thing holding me back is my middle daughter is a bit of a sports star, she loves football and I couldn't bring her anywhere she couldn't join a team and do what she loves, do these things exist for expats? Like proper weekly leagues for girls etc, I'm super sceptical and while it might seem crazy to base career decisions on stuff like that I love my daughter and would go fly rubber dildos out of Hong Kong before I'd stop her playing football.

5) Anyone going in Jan feel free to PM me

6) Provident fund, what are the actual figures, I've tried asking this in the Emirates thread and here before but never get any concrete numbers, I've got 40k a year going into my pension right now including personal contributions, is it at least on par?

thanks for the help
wing-man is offline  
Old 25th Nov 2022, 11:38
  #652 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brexland
Posts: 206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wing-man View Post
1: 22575 basic, 300 transport allowance, 33 telephone, 1500 utilities, 13000 housing (if not in company housing) 105 per actual block hour.
2. 5 to 6 years in your dreams. if you join now it will be at least 10+ years. FO's who are doing their command now are 7-8 years in the company, and many joined after them.
3. you get 125.000, if you want a good school, count on 70.000 per kid. Unless you put them in the Oryx school, together with lots of non western kids.
4. There are no weekly leagues in Qatar. Just some clubs who do training like twice a week. Occasionally they schedule a match against someone, but this is on like a friendly basis.
6. if you decide to join the investment fund, you put 5% of your basic, QR puts 10% basic. You can do another 10% on a voluntarily basis.
Cheers for this, 10 years is a non starter, I'd be better off staying where I am and coming as a DEC
Whitemonk Returns is online now  
Old 25th Nov 2022, 12:15
  #653 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Europe
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whitemonk Returns …Just to add to what wing-man said (which, by the way, 100% accurate)…to answer your 1st question about what an FO takes home in hand, it does vary a lot depending on whether they are in company accommodation or not and how much they contribute to the International Savings Plan (pension), but approximately:

Short haul on housing allowance : approx 42k - 45k qar / month (before rent etc.) at around 65/70 hrs a month
Long haul on housing allowance : as much as 50k qar / month with around 90-100 block hours a month
If in company accommodation : just take off approx 13,500 qar (they charge a bit for bills now)

this is based on the 1st yr FO salary as stated above, plus all allowances (transport, utilities, flight pay + layover allowance) but NOT including kids schooling allowance (I don’t know how that works tbh).

just for the ISP as well, so if you contributed 5% ( of basic salary) and company puts in 10%, you would receive about 3,386 qar / month…the plans tend to have a good return, but of course it can change!

hope it all helps. All the best.
CPL27 is offline  
Old 25th Nov 2022, 13:27
  #654 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,673
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Whitemonk Returns View Post
Got sent the tests in August, did them out of curiosity and have been invited to interview every month since but haven't been able to accept any of the dates as they were all within 4 - 6 weeks notice. Boeing Capt applying for Boeing FO.

Right... interview booked end of January. I have a raft of questions if anyone can help out as I am looking for some advice:

I've got a cushy number right now, LHS, 40 days AL plus 40 days off at my request, £140k for 500 hrs a year but it is going to expire at some point in the next 2 years forever and what awaits is LCC hell for eternity.

So, I'm going to go and sus this place out and see how I feel after.

1) Whats an FO getting into their hand on average
2) 5 to 6 years back to command isn't a deal breaker but ideally I wouldn't accept a start date until late 2023 but how much would I be screwing myself over by delaying. Mid 30s right now.

3) how much out of the take home is going to go on schooling, 3 kids

4) Wife is up for it so that is fine but while it might sound mad the main thing holding me back is my middle daughter is a bit of a sports star, she loves football and I couldn't bring her anywhere she couldn't join a team and do what she loves, do these things exist for expats? Like proper weekly leagues for girls etc, I'm super sceptical and while it might seem crazy to base career decisions on stuff like that I love my daughter and would go fly rubber dildos out of Hong Kong before I'd stop her playing football.

5) Anyone going in Jan feel free to PM me

6) Provident fund, what are the actual figures, I've tried asking this in the Emirates thread and here before but never get any concrete numbers, I've got 40k a year going into my pension right now including personal contributions, is it at least on par?

thanks for the help
My advice…stay where you are.
SOPS is online now  
Old 27th Nov 2022, 16:49
  #655 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Doha
Posts: 25
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the company accommodation like and is the living out allowance still available? Can you reject the company accommodation or is that verboten?
Camel herder is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2022, 17:44
  #656 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Down the road
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Company accommodation varies a lot, some really poor ones near construction or in the middle of nowhere but also an occasional nice one such as the pearl. You can request to move out or move accommodation. Waiting times vary up to a few years and seems random.

Command upgrades for Boeing are well above 10 years now for new joiner in Qr , flying over 1000 hours each year many will struggle to do that health wise, you're better off joining as a Dec in Qr if you really want to try it. Dec have easier assessments than internal upgrades and only about 5-10% of the pilots are internal upgraded captains. It's not a good job for First Officer career progression. You'll also likely find yourself landing nearly every return sector in Cavok Doha and with a max wind of 15kts as most captains are too afraid to give outbound flights. Its good for money if that's the only thing you're looking for but I'd suggest to upgrade or stay wherever you are until you need the Dec requirements.

Nicknamechosen is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2022, 18:14
  #657 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Asia
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it true they are choosing certain nationalities to join there fleet?
Flyinghigh320 is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2022, 18:56
  #658 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pilota320pilot View Post
been around 5 weeks since i did my PSA. status still says "invited for PSA." did it take this long for anyone else too?
​​​​​​​Did you get a date for Doha assessment? I have done my PSA online test but been a week, heard nothing. A friend of mine had a response within a week.
CaptainGrizzly is offline  
Old 29th Nov 2022, 08:03
  #659 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: EUROPE
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normally means you are in. They will call u to offer you a position, but when it depends on what date course the will put you in and how much notice period you should give to your company.
flyer787 is offline  
Old 29th Nov 2022, 08:15
  #660 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyer787 View Post
Normally means you are in. They will call u to offer you a position, but when it depends on what date course the will put you in and how much notice period you should give to your company.
Hey. I think you misread. Awaiting a response to the online test and subsequent invitation to Doha...
CaptainGrizzly is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.