Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)

Old 11th Apr 2018, 08:15
  #4441 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 38
Sorry, my bad:
13 XX
4 Rest Days where we're getting back around midnight.
So, pretty pleased tbh.

March had 10 XX, and got one flight I bid for.
Not good, but not terrible either


Originally Posted by mmmbop View Post
17 XX days, or 10 XX days and 7 Rest days?

Ek-or-bust, if you want any credibility list the XX days off you've had for each of the last 24 months flying, not an anomalously good one-off roster (which was in a month where the system failed and everybody's bids were ignored. Maybe you should be a good fellow pilot and give your roster to the pilots in top/second bid group who got screwed with 8 XX days....... )

EK-or-bust is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2018, 12:28
  #4442 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: India
Posts: 1
Inputs on roster & life

Hey everyone ! I cleared the Emirates recruitment process and have a joining in September on the A380. I still haven't made up my mind whether to join since I wanted to know how the roster is and also if my wife and our 1 month baby will be able to adjust there when I'm out on Ultra long hauls. Have read about the 777 soo inputs on 380 will be really appreciated ! Thanks in advance, cheers !!
A320boy is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2018, 15:23
  #4443 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 2,915
Originally Posted by A320boy View Post
Hey everyone ! I cleared the Emirates recruitment process and have a joining in September on the A380. I still haven't made up my mind whether to join since I wanted to know how the roster is and also if my wife and our 1 month baby will be able to adjust there when I'm out on Ultra long hauls. Have read about the 777 soo inputs on 380 will be really appreciated ! Thanks in advance, cheers !!
You have gone through the process, got accepted..but not done the homework? I will sit back and watch this with interest.
SOPS is offline  
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 02:07
  #4444 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Got an invite for assessment. Got a few questions who are up to date with the current interview process.

Has the multi-day process changed at all from the most recent posts? I have gotten bits and pieces of the interview process but still trying to gather everything that happens on Day 1 to Day 3. Anyone know what the typical sim profile is? Is it done in 777 sim or some other Boeing type sim?

Any suggestions will help me tremendously.
flyckfly is offline  
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 16:18
  #4445 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mars
Posts: 521
Schnowzer is offline  
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 18:36
  #4446 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: uk
Posts: 254
schowzer,

Best post of the year...
Laker is offline  
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 16:59
  #4447 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 67
Telfer, EK just imposed what is essentially a 150% tax on any alcohol you bring into Dubai from a layover. Before you waste your precious time and brain cells on trying to impress these idiots, think is this the sort of crap you want to put up with for the next 5+ years?

Good luck
dustyflightdeck is offline  
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 17:07
  #4448 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 2,915
Originally Posted by dustyflightdeck View Post
Telfer, EK just imposed what is essentially a 150% tax on any alcohol you bring into Dubai from a layover. Before you waste your precious time and brain cells on trying to impress these idiots, think is this the sort of crap you want to put up with for the next 5+ years?

Good luck
And that is just one thing, in a long long list. Its the classic "Bait and Switch" con. They promise things and then take them away. What the job I went to compared to the job I left had only thing in common..I flew aircraft. Had they told me at the interview, what I was been offered now would change into what I had 8 years later, I doubt I would have gone in the first place.
Buyer Beware!!!!
SOPS is offline  
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 17:23
  #4449 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 67
Originally Posted by SOPS View Post
And that is just one thing, in a long long list. Its the classic "Bait and Switch" con. They promise things and then take them away. What the job I went to compared to the job I left had only thing in common..I flew aircraft. Had they told me at the interview, what I was been offered now would change into what I had 8 years later, I doubt I would have gone in the first place.
Buyer Beware!!!!
I agree with you SOPS. I have only been here 2 years but in that time this place has taken a sharp turn for the worse. I knew it wasn't going to be great when I joined but this..... EK is no longer in a steady descent..... they have lowered the gear and deployed the speed brake. It has become so bad I am starting to speculate if they are trying to clean house entirely and start from scratch????
dustyflightdeck is offline  
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 17:25
  #4450 (permalink)  

Dog Tired
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: uk
Posts: 1,663
From what I have read here, all you have to do is turn up and you'll get the job.
fantom is online now  
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 17:36
  #4451 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by fantom View Post
From what I have read here, all you have to do is turn up and you'll get the job.
Yes because the most accurate information is always found on this site.
Failure rate at the assessment stage is between 60-70%. That is the FAILURE rate.

FYI, I went through the process within the last 4 months. 2 out of 8 made it to day 2 in my batch. the day before 1/7 and they day after me 3/8.
IBE8720 is offline  
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 19:13
  #4452 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by IBE8720 View Post
Yes because the most accurate information is always found on this site.
Failure rate at the assessment stage is between 60-70%. That is the FAILURE rate.

FYI, I went through the process within the last 4 months. 2 out of 8 made it to day 2 in my batch. the day before 1/7 and they day after me 3/8.
That possibly/probably says more about the type of applicants they’re able to attract at the moment, rather than the difficulty of the process itself
zero/zero is offline  
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 20:38
  #4453 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Campinas, BR
Posts: 12
Question Should I apply?

Hey guys, I have a question for you based in my situation at the moment. I'm 23, ATPL, and I work for a LC in Brazil, flying an Embraer 190/195 for almost 3 years. I'm moving for the A320 (in the same airline) in the next couple months and VERY LIKELY I might improve to the LHS in the next year...but in an ATR 72. Or I could just seat back in the A320 or A330 and wait for a direct entry as a captain at the ERJ, what would take about 3 years to happen.
I'm thinking about applying for the EK. My wages right now are about 2500 USD after taxes, which is not as good as it should be, but considering Brazil insn't Europe I can have a average+ life quality around here, flying 65h/month. As a captain in ATR, would earn about 4200 USD, improving as we move from equipment. Top salary if a career is build up here at this company would be about 6350 USD (after taxes) at the LHS of the A320, which I would guess is 8-10 years away from me. I know this salary is considerably low comparing to worldwide wages, and I`m really considering to build a career outside my country to improve my professional status and start saving a real amount of money.

I know a lot of guys from the forum are unhappy at the EK, but in my situation, shouldn't I give a try? I can't say Im unhappy at the airline, and I really can have a normal life with a standard car/standard apartment in my country, but I'm always afraid I will never be able to become a realized professional once aviation in Brazil doesn't offer us jobs in big carriers as EK or QR could provide me...I've been thinking about this subject over and over in the last months, and I'd like to listen to other people too!
ERJ190 is offline  
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 20:47
  #4454 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 6
Emirates Pilot Assessment

Hi,

Does anyone have any up to date information on the EK pilot assessment process? i.e level of difficulty and % success ratio, also are EK presently hiring guys with just the minimum requirements (200hrs 20T+ jet time).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
GSFlyer1 is offline  
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 23:05
  #4455 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sandy Beach
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by zero/zero View Post
That possibly/probably says more about the type of applicants they’re able to attract at the moment, rather than the difficulty of the process itself
Back in 2006 yours truly was 1/8 to get the offer. Four of us made it through the process and I was sure the others would make it if I did. Appeared it was not the case. Hats off for our recruitment team for fighting an uphill battle for a long time now 👍
OBOGS is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2018, 04:36
  #4456 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 67
Originally Posted by ERJ190 View Post
I know a lot of guys from the forum are unhappy at the EK, but in my situation, shouldn't I give a try? I can't say Im unhappy at the airline, and I really can have a normal life with a standard car/standard apartment in my country, but I'm always afraid I will never be able to become a realized professional once aviation in Brazil doesn't offer us jobs in big carriers as EK or QR could provide me...I've been thinking about this subject over and over in the last months, and I'd like to listen to other people too!
ERJ190,
It sounds like you are considering EK for the money. My only advice is, do your research! On paper the package looks very good, and it would be if it were not for the sky rocketing cost of living in Dubai. When I came for my interview 3 years ago, I did my research and look at food prices, petrol, etc. And considering that the package looked good. But what I did not account for was the sudden and extreme price rises that they like to do in Dubai for almost no reason whatsoever. 5% VAT, more like 25% in some places! Fees on everything that have ridiculous names, like when you pay your electric bill for instance. New EK 150% alcohol tax for crew. These things add up quickly. You need to think very long and hard about what sort of life you are after. Do you have a wife and kids? Will wife be working? Does she want enormous 4WD car? These things are expensive in Dubai. Suddenly your FO pay check is much smaller. You can save money here, I do, but not as much as I would like despite my efforts. it gets harder every year to keep saving the same amount. Every time I think I am finally getting it right, another enormous cost comes flying in my front door. Everything in Dubai goes UP UP UP, but paycheck stays the same! Simple maths!!!!

Read my previous post here about everything else. You are not a "professional" here, you are a child and will be treated as such. New 150% alcohol tax for EK crew only! Wow, I sure feel like a highly respected Boeing 777 pilot. Thanks EK! Maybe right now you think you don't mind these things, but trust me after 1-2 years you will. There is no escaping it.

Come and do the interview, check out Dubai and see it all for yourself
Best of luck to you
dustyflightdeck is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2018, 04:49
  #4457 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sandpit
Posts: 419
The tax isn't just for alcohol. If you're bringing any items back with you they are subject to VAT and also to the 75 Aed charge for bringing them into the UAE.
felixthecat is online now  
Old 24th Apr 2018, 05:34
  #4458 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 67
Join latest pilots jobs, everything you need to know is there
dustyflightdeck is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2018, 07:13
  #4459 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Campinas, BR
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by dustyflightdeck View Post
ERJ190,
Read my previous post here about everything else. You are not a "professional" here, you are a child and will be treated as such. New 150% alcohol tax for EK crew only! Wow, I sure feel like a highly respected Boeing 777 pilot. Thanks EK! Maybe right now you think you don't mind these things, but trust me after 1-2 years you will. There is no escaping it.

Come and do the interview, check out Dubai and see it all for yourself
Best of luck to you
Thanks for the answer! But I can affirm you that this is not only because of the money. I really do not know much about the EK or Dubai, maybe thats the reason why Im that interested. But I would surely do the research before taking this giant step in my personal life.
Besides the money (which is considerably lower than it should be right now for me), one thing that makes me want to move forward is that in the company I work for, even that the environment is friendly and its growing a lot, won't give me the career I've always dreamed of, and that is a wide body captain. But maybe EK is not the answer. Shot in the dark!
ERJ190 is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2018, 09:36
  #4460 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: United Arab Emirates
Posts: 57
Someone in the know told me it's personality online now, and then your full psych in Dubai on the interview day. So after sim and compass.
GillEx737 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.