Fragrant Harbour A forum for the large number of pilots (expats and locals) based with the various airlines in Hong Kong. Air Traffic Controllers are also warmly welcomed into the forum.

This Friday?

Old 12th Oct 2020, 00:38
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cesspit
Posts: 317
Originally Posted by unitedabx View Post
STW, I admire your optimism but I feel it is misplaced and you are in for a huge shock. (let us hope I am wrong ).
The SwireCX Board do not meet until 2nd November and I am told this is a zoom briefing on proposed restructuring.
Then there is scheduled a Full Board Meeting in London ( not HKG due quarantine requirements ) the following Monday at which time the decision will be made.
The stock exchange in HKG must be briefed before any announcement and that is always in the SCMP the day before in the business/stock announcements section.

So, you do the maths but I have heard the new contracts must be in place before 1st December to avoid having to pay KA their 13th month.
I think you’re a little out of touch old boy.

The days of the minority shareholder dictating to the other 60% how CX will be run is over. How many board members is Swire down to? 6? Out of 17. 19 if you include the 2 non-voting directors appointed by the Hong Kong government who are required to attend and observe every board meeting. I highly doubt they’ll be traveling to London to meet in the offices of a minority share holder, and I certainly doubt the Beijing based directors will go there.

You’re fellow drinkers in Essex may well know what angle some directors of the board are taking, but unlike in the days of old, their influence over the CX board is now proportional to their numbers.
Progress Wanchai is online now  
Old 12th Oct 2020, 01:14
  #22 (permalink)  
hyg
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: hong kong
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by Progress Wanchai View Post
I think you’re a little out of touch old boy.

The days of the minority shareholder dictating to the other 60% how CX will be run is over. How many board members is Swire down to? 6? Out of 17. 19 if you include the 2 non-voting directors appointed by the Hong Kong government who are required to attend and observe every board meeting. I highly doubt they’ll be traveling to London to meet in the offices of a minority share holder, and I certainly doubt the Beijing based directors will go there.

You’re fellow drinkers in Essex may well know what angle some directors of the board are taking, but unlike in the days of old, their influence over the CX board is now proportional to their numbers.
I don't think he's familiar with the Chinese business structure.

Regardless of what business it is, any 'strategic' business that the CCP has a hand must have a 'Party nominated secretary'. This position has more power than anyone in a company, including the guy who allegedly owns it, ask the owner of Wanda Group, Alibaba, Tencent etc....the truth is, the Swires will have a say, but only after they get the nod from the party nominated secretaries...
hyg is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2020, 06:27
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Great White North of the 49th
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by hyg View Post
I don't think he's familiar with the Chinese business structure.

Regardless of what business it is, any 'strategic' business that the CCP has a hand must have a 'Party nominated secretary'. This position has more power than anyone in a company, including the guy who allegedly owns it, ask the owner of Wanda Group, Alibaba, Tencent etc....the truth is, the Swires will have a say, but only after they get the nod from the party nominated secretaries...

What a bloody sham that is. Good grief. The ChiComms are vermin and will destroy everything “free market”. China is nobody’s friend, just eh enemy firmly planted in a hell hole.
Drc40 is online now  
Old 12th Oct 2020, 11:52
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: uk
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by hyg View Post
I don't think he's familiar with the Chinese business structure.

Regardless of what business it is, any 'strategic' business that the CCP has a hand must have a 'Party nominated secretary'. This position has more power than anyone in a company, including the guy who allegedly owns it, ask the owner of Wanda Group, Alibaba, Tencent etc....the truth is, the Swires will have a say, but only after they get the nod from the party nominated secretaries...
IAG taking decisive action replacing Cruz with Doyle to clear the decks and restructure BA. Meanwhile, CX hasn't done a single thing. Speaks volumes.
unitedabx is offline  
Old 13th Oct 2020, 08:09
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Back of Beyond
Posts: 412
Originally Posted by Drc40 View Post
What a bloody sham that is. Good grief. The ChiComms are vermin and will destroy everything “free market”. China is nobody’s friend, just eh enemy firmly planted in a hell hole.
Can't argue with that.
Flying Clog is online now  
Old 14th Oct 2020, 03:25
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: LAX
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by Drc40 View Post
What a bloody sham that is. Good grief. The ChiComms are vermin and will destroy everything “free market”. China is nobody’s friend, just eh enemy firmly planted in a hell hole.
When was the last time you visited China? I mean visited, not just flew there for an overnight.
Nowadays, a lot of news fed to us was what they wanted us to hear/read.
taobao is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2020, 10:48
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 852
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by taobao View Post
When was the last time you visited China? I mean visited, not just flew there for an overnight.
Nowadays, a lot of news fed to us was what they wanted us to hear/read.
He/she doesn't need to visit. It's all on Fox, CNN, ABC, BBC, etc. The media would never lie to us. Right?
Shoebox is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2020, 13:47
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: All over
Posts: 261
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
He/she doesn't need to visit. It's all on Fox, CNN, ABC, BBC, etc. The media would never lie to us. Right?
If no one reads anything I've ever written I might hope they would read this. You can trust NOTHING -- repeat ABSOLUTELY NOTHING -- you read, see, or hear unless the source is well known to you personally and is credible (I realize the irony of this as someone typing on a semi-anonymous Internet forum).

The ONE thing that has expanded exponentially is the volume and sheer amount of absolute informational propaganda just about everywhere (from EVERY source). There MAY be a fact or half-truth in there somewhere, but we've been subjected to nothing but a bombardment of parrots hearing something and squawking at each other over the last couple of decades. Nothing even remotely related to facts or truth. This shapes perception amongst the unwary and can cause real harm.

It's almost like that old game of "telephone" but the words and phrases are moving in both directions.

I'm getting kinda older and have been around the block a few times. But I've never seen anything like this in what passes for news and media these days.

What do I use as a barometer ? Coercion. If something has to be coercive in nature, chances are it's the wrong path and the argument is incapable of standing on its own merit or real facts. Lockdowns, mandates, etc. all fall into this category.
Slasher1 is online now  
Old 14th Oct 2020, 14:20
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: one country, one system
Age: 52
Posts: 72
That is a very common perception. But is it true?

Name one example of an orchestrated global media lie.
Sam Ting Wong is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2020, 14:58
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: England
Posts: 583
Iraq has weapons of mass destruction.
Kitsune is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2020, 15:06
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Here
Posts: 339
The Christopher Steele Dossier on Trump
Threethirty is online now  
Old 14th Oct 2020, 16:40
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 68
“The media” concocted neither. “The media” certainly didn’t coordinate among themselves to lie to the public.
jriv is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2020, 17:58
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Posts: 41
Sure. Watch the liberal media on any given day. They mysteriously all begin using same new 'catchphrase' of the day. Or they all decide to not give any air time to the new bombshell report about Joe and Hunter Biden and their epic corruption scandal with Burisma. I could go on, but there are a certain percentage of people who refuse to accept fact. On Nov 3rd however there will be no getting away from that fact. Counting the days. Oh, and btw...regarding our issue: it will be Monday.
mngmt mole is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2020, 18:09
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: All over
Posts: 261
Originally Posted by Sam Ting Wong View Post
That is a very common perception. But is it true?

Name one example of an orchestrated global media lie.
I don't know to what extent it's 'orchestrated' but I do know it's 'parroted'. And been parroted for decades. And always advocates some form of regulation under the force of law and imprisonment to coerce. Completely abandoning the concept that if it was such a good idea people might make the choice to do it in the first place rather than have some Hobbesian stormtroopers come in to execute it.

You can add to the previous the Russian Collusion scam, The Flynn persecution scam, The man-made CO2 global warming myth (and it's close brother the so-called 'green energy' scam--there IS no form of energy which doesn't have externalities nor is there a zero emission anything), the chlorinated flourocarbons-ozone scam (which was decades ago; when it was debunked and found these had no effect they were changed to 'greenhouse gases' in a perverse face-saving move), the lockdown myth (which interestingly enough has prompted a CDC reversal -- in a no shiite sherlock moment -- in that it causes more harm than good and has little effect on spread), and the mask myth.

If you want to get into economics you can also delve into the minimum wage myth (if a minimum wage ever has any effect, which it often doesn't because prevailing labour rates are usually above it in most labour markets, it's always destructive. First year economics student stuff).
Slasher1 is online now  
Old 14th Oct 2020, 21:08
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: one country, one system
Age: 52
Posts: 72
All the above topics have been extensively discussed by global media, often highly controversely. In some cases for years.

I am not an expert in US media, but the fact that I can't listen to the likes of Hannity or Tucker without deep revulsion tells me both sides of the political spectrum are well represented.

Unfortunately we all suffer from confirmation bias, we want to read or watch what we believe in already.


Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 14th Oct 2020 at 21:46.
Sam Ting Wong is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2020, 22:43
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 417
Unfortunately we all suffer from confirmation bias, we want to read or watch what we believe in already.
Yes, to a degree. I find that those like Slasher have a better understanding of both sides, primarily because we are assaulted by the MSM on one side, but go out of our way to look for other sources. A lot of people (seemingly most) are happy to get their "information" from the left-wing media and facebook alone.
OK4Wire is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2020, 02:16
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Posts: 41
STW. The fact that you denigrate Tucker Carlson is a very revealing insight to your mindset. As he is the most clear thinking and insightful commentator on television is something that his record viewership numbers speak to. Your opinion is of course welcome.
mngmt mole is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2020, 03:25
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: All over
Posts: 261
I guess instead of ‘parroted’ I might have said ‘engaged in a systemic pattern of agenda based groupthink propagandizing’.

But parrot sounds better and those big words are a bit too high class for the likes of me anyway.
Slasher1 is online now  
Old 15th Oct 2020, 03:36
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by mngmt mole View Post
STW. The fact that you denigrate Tucker Carlson is a very revealing insight to your mindset. As he is the most clear thinking and insightful commentator on television is something that his record viewership numbers speak to. Your opinion is of course welcome.
mngmt mole. The fact that you see Tucker as the most clear thinking and insightful commentator on television is a very revealing insight to your mindset. As he is the most ridiculous, self conceited nitwit out there(although Jaenine is giving him a good run for his money). At least he got rid of his silly bow-ties. Your opinion is of course welcome.
Piet Lood is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2020, 03:56
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: one country, one system
Age: 52
Posts: 72
Mngmt Mole, I did not denigrate Tucker. I said I personally can't listen to him.

You guys prove my point. The very fact that we discuss which anchormen or media outlet is right or wrong shows the diversity and open debate culture. There is no such thing as the media. We have state, left and right wing media, millions of bloggers and self-declared journalists, chat groups, youtube channels etc.Then you have twitter and presential debates, no filter at all. Thousands of press briefings, interviews etc. At no point in the history of mankind have so many people engaged in political debates. There is no dominance of "liberal" media. Tucker has high viewing numbers, you said it yourself. So does Breitbart. Facebook is just an advertising company, you get get to see the ads that match with your profile and whoever pays for you to see them. As far as I recall it was Trump who most successfully used FB during the last election with the help of Cambride Analytika. It is beyond me why anybody would use FB as news source, and again shows the vital and essential role proper news media have.

Slasher, your claim everybody is parotting or part of a system is baseless. Just because politics don't follow your opinion the public isn't necessarily manipulated. The idea there is a shadow power in control of everything and only you see it is text book conspiracy theory. You clearly have extreme right wing opinions, and that is ok, but the controversial discussion we are having right now shows we are not all parotting, or we would not disagree. All you said, from minimum wage to global warming I disagree with. I would go as far as to say we live in different worlds. But it is in places without a debate, without an ugly fight about the truth where one should be much more concerned.

The division proves the freedom and diversity of our society, but is a problem as well, I won't deny that. It shows in here and in politics. But what is the alternative? I take a divided and polarized society over China or Russia any day.There you have people really parotting the state media. That's the difference.

Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 15th Oct 2020 at 08:24.
Sam Ting Wong is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.