Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

rex Celebrating 20 Years

Old 8th Aug 2022, 08:05
  #61 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 936
Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Regardless of their pax figures increasing/decreasing and the desire to bring more frames how do they solve the biggest problem of all,

Slots into Sydney?

Bonza will struggle also with this. I can’t see QF,JQ and VA giving any up.
SHVC is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 08:52
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Weltschmerz-By-The-Sea, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,339
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Yeah, and gates, and lounges, and FF etc. I thought that the slots Rex are using currently were only available until international traffic returns to 2019 levels
Australopithecus is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 09:02
  #63 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,834
Received 245 Likes on 103 Posts
Tigerair had about 13,000 slots per half year. Last season Rex had access to half of these. Certainly will have problems if Virgin get them all back. But the SY-ML flights are empty so who cares, perhaps focus on another part of the country.

I recall Bonza have already said they tried Mascot but no slots. Perhaps next March. Can you imagine the $hitstorm should Bonza get allocated some Tigerair slots with Rex. Sharpy will go into meeellltdown.
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 11:28
  #64 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Weltschmerz-By-The-Sea, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,339
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Before I comment on this thread again I am going, against all that is holy, to buy a couple of J class tickets* on Rex and report back.


*because no bueno for QF staff travel on desired dates. But it sounded good, right?
Australopithecus is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 11:35
  #65 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: tossbagville
Posts: 795
Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts
Rex's 737 product is quite good, but **** all people are using it, meaning that their advertising and marketing is shot. It's hard spending money with them when Sharp is involved though.
tossbag is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 11:44
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Weltschmerz-By-The-Sea, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,339
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Yeah, you’re right. Y class it is.
Australopithecus is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 12:05
  #67 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 971
Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Australopithecus
Before I comment on this thread again I am going, against all that is holy, to buy a couple of J class tickets* on Rex and report back.


*because no bueno for QF staff travel on desired dates. But it sounded good, right?
I'd give them a go myself but they don't fly out of MCY. They almost certainly have a better than half decent product. Their roll out strategy, however, has been two large servings of half-arsed.

They launched a new product into a market that they traditionally had no real exposure to, cut their marketing budget just to be sure that no one heard about it, botched their market placement, sent mixed messages to the market and straight out lied to the ASX, and then whinged incessantly that all their woes were of someone else's doing. If the rejected take-off they had out of Sydney in the first week of their launch had have gotten full media attention they probably would have been DOA.

They've managed 875 paying pax over ten flights SYD-MEL today for a just sub-50 percent load factor, the only consolation being they're managing to get bums on J seats.

Despite all of those balls ups they're still in there with half a chance largely due to QF's and VA's problems.
MickG0105 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2022, 02:40
  #68 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sunny Coast
Posts: 338
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Some of todays numbers

658 MEL OOL 146 + 7 = 153
437 MEL ADL 73 + 7 = 80
489 MEL ADE 74 + 0 = 74
202 MEL BNE 87 + 8 = 95
258 MEL BNE 125 + 5 = 130
540 SYD OOL 67 + 8 = 75
616 MEL CBR 39 + 5 = 44
42 MEL SYD 77 + 4 = 81

Average 91.5
Business doing well 5.5 from 8 average

Sorry PopaJo but your predictions of a reality check this week ain't looking so good, even you would have to admit that these numbers are solid and trending up and at over 50% full, if this trend continues it won't be long before 70% will be achieved
What's QF/JQ got left in their arsenal ? Throw a couple of Q400s at Parkes, Narrandera or Moruya ?
Deano969 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2022, 03:32
  #69 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 971
Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Deano969
Some of todays numbers

658 MEL OOL 146 + 7 = 153
437 MEL ADL 73 + 7 = 80
489 MEL ADE 74 + 0 = 74
202 MEL BNE 87 + 8 = 95
258 MEL BNE 125 + 5 = 130
540 SYD OOL 67 + 8 = 75
616 MEL CBR 39 + 5 = 44
42 MEL SYD 77 + 4 = 81

Average 91.5
Business doing well 5.5 from 8 average

Sorry PopaJo but your predictions of a reality check this week ain't looking so good, even you would have to admit that these numbers are solid and trending up and at over 50% full, if this trend continues it won't be long before 70% will be achieved
What's QF/JQ got left in their arsenal ? Throw a couple of Q400s at Parkes, Narrandera or Moruya ?
Business doing well?! If by "busy doing well" you mean continuing to lose money, then yeah, for sure. Week to now, they are averaging 43.5 percent loads between Sydney and Melbourne, and just over 50 percent for the overall jet network. That's loss making.
MickG0105 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2022, 04:03
  #70 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: On my V Strom
Posts: 329
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get a life, all of you
Trevor the lover is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2022, 04:30
  #71 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 3,721
Likes: 0
Received 109 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Icarus2001 [img]images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/img]
Lets be kind and say 90 pax for break even. How many break even flights in the last six months?
What pointless question.
The question is very to the point. In fact the whole point of any business.
Icarus2001 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2022, 05:22
  #72 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,834
Received 245 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Deano969

Sorry PopaJo but your predictions of a reality check this week ain't looking so good, even you would have to admit that these numbers are solid and trending up and at over 50% full, if this trend continues it won't be long before 70% will be achieved
What's QF/JQ got left in their arsenal ? Throw a couple of Q400s at Parkes, Narrandera or Moruya ?
No I donít think 18 months into the operation with corresponding numbers is a solid outcome.
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2022, 05:32
  #73 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 2,136
Received 196 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Deano969
Some of todays numbers
Why just some of the flights? You need to compare all of them over at least a week (to a bound for daily variations) to judge current performance.

Business doing well 5.5 from 8 average
Using the Australian Frequent Flyer Forums as a source (Internet rumours but they seem fairly intelligent on that site) the J class upgrades are being given out for free to random passengers at the gate near boarding time as a promotional incentive to get more people aware of the J product. Very few if any Rex J passengers actually pay the price for a J ticket.

Sorry PopaJo but your predictions of a reality check this week ain't looking so good, even you would have to admit that these numbers are solid and trending up and at over 50% full, if this trend continues it won't be long before 70% will be achieved





dr dre is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2022, 05:33
  #74 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sunny Coast
Posts: 338
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Icarus2001
The question is very to the point. In fact the whole point of any business.
Point being
Looking forward is important, not looking back
Why do you think they needed $150m to get up and running
Sure, they were trying to do a VB when Ansett collapsed and had to reimagine what plan B was when VA was reborn
If VA failed that $150m would have gone a very different direction, towards funding a massive surge in growth, but that did not happen
So implement plan B
Slower growth, prove the point of reliability, honesty, service and price. Build that and they will come
Slowly they are coming....
Flyers will happen upon REX either at their price point or if QF/JQ and VA are booked out or if a flight get canned
But, do they come back?
Totally get that they are not selling out just yet and the corks are still in the champagne bottles
But, if I owned REX, I'd be relatively pleased with with the way things are trending
Again, October or November I predict 70% give or take

Remember Icarus, it's not all about how your loads are in the first few months, it's where they are long term and sustained
REX have always held their own against Link in the past on shared routes like ex SYD to Wagga, Dubbo, Albury, Armidale etc so I have never had any doubt that the would match it up on mainline

Deano969 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2022, 05:36
  #75 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sunny Coast
Posts: 338
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PoppaJo
No I donít think 18 months into the operation with corresponding numbers is a solid outcome.
You must be getting forgetful
Coronavirus
Lockdowns
Boarder closures
Fleet groundings

Seriously it was 1 false start in 2021 then really only kicked off in Feb 2022

You are grasping at straws Poppa
Deano969 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2022, 05:40
  #76 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 3,721
Likes: 0
Received 109 Likes on 53 Posts
Remember Icarus, it's not all about how your loads are in the first few months, it's where they are long term and sustained
Thanks for stating the bleeding obvious.

18 months in, not six months.
Icarus2001 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2022, 06:00
  #77 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 971
Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
Using the Australian Frequent Flyer Forums as a source (Internet rumours but they seem fairly intelligent on that site) the J class upgrades are being given out for free to random passengers at the gate near boarding time as a promotional incentive to get more people aware of the J product. Very few if any Rex J passengers actually pay the price for a J ticket.
I'm not familiar with said forum but there's certainly something off with the J loads we're seeing. Comping a punter or two here and there would be one explanation. That can be a pernicious practice.
MickG0105 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2022, 06:05
  #78 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 971
Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Icarus2001
Thanks for stating the bleeding obvious.

18 months in, not six months.
And let's not forget that no-one put a gun to their head. Their foray into jets was at the time of their choosing. I seem to recall someone from Rex telling anyone who'd listen that 'there has never been a better time to launch into the domestic aviation market in Australia.'
MickG0105 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2022, 06:30
  #79 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sunny Coast
Posts: 338
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MickG0105
And let's not forget that no-one put a gun to their head. Their foray into jets was at the time of their choosing. I seem to recall someone from Rex telling anyone who'd listen that 'there has never been a better time to launch into the domestic aviation market in Australia.'
VA put a gun to their head when they went busto
Did REX not interline on VA ?
Take VA away and Link would have had a massive advantage
Deano969 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2022, 06:32
  #80 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 971
Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Deano969
VA put a gun to their head when they went busto
Did REX not interline on VA ?
Take VA away and Link would have had a massive advantage
What a load of nonsense. Do you think this stuff up yourself?
MickG0105 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.