PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   rex Celebrating 20 Years (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/648116-rex-celebrating-20-years.html)

Stationair8 2nd Aug 2022 04:06

rex Celebrating 20 Years
 
Full page advertisement in todayís The Australian celebrating Rexís twenty years of service to the Australian community.

Even PM Albanese gets in on the Rex backslapping.


Deano969 2nd Aug 2022 08:49

And another 737 due and 2 more before Christmas
I don't think they are going to pull jet opps any time soon, they must be seeing some potential...

MickG0105 2nd Aug 2022 10:44


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 11271625)
And another 737 due and 2 more before Christmas
I don't think they are going to pull jet opps any time soon, they must be seeing some potential...

Rex do not have a good track record of following through on fleet planning announcements.

This is what they said in an ASX announcement at the end of June last year ,


REX SECURES TWO ADDITIONAL BOEING 737-800NGs

Rex today announced it had signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) with a lessor for the lease of two Boeing 737-800NGs.
The two aircraft are expected to arrive in late August, increasing the 737 fleet to eight, and are scheduled to enter service on Rex's domestic network in September.
...
"We hope to lease another two aircraft to take our fleet size to 10 before the end of this year as foreshadowed in our plan announced last September."
And what happened was ... nothing.

Ladloy 2nd Aug 2022 10:46


Originally Posted by MickG0105 (Post 11271685)
Rex do not have a good track record of following through on fleet planning announcements.

This is what they said in an ASX announcement at the end of June last year ,



And what happened was ... nothing.

Hey remember when they said they were getting ATRs?

PoppaJo 2nd Aug 2022 14:54


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 11271625)
I don't think they are going to pull jet opps any time soon, they must be seeing some potential...

You are writing what you want to hear.

The numbers today are nothing short of grim. Absolutely horrendous. The thing is dead and died months ago.

Deano969 2nd Aug 2022 18:09

Poppa
Care to share numbers rather that your opinion?
Do you have data, a spreadsheet or even any actual numbers?
I get it, you are dearly wanting REX to fail and you totally love where you work and don't want competition to effect your conditions, so you spot a couple of flights with low numbers of pax getting on or off and extrapolate those numbers to every flight
You see QF JQ and VA with close to full as they regularly cancel flights and amalgamate loads, obviously REX don't have that option, well not yet....

Lets look logically
If, for example, REX jet was performing so badly one would assume
1) They would not be adding more 738s
2) They may sit on current numbers and chase some FIFO work out west and move existing frames over to the west

However
If things look promising one would assume
1) More frames for greater frequency
2) More frames for more destinations and multi sector sales eg Perth to Gold Coast via Sydney or Melbourne
3) REX may well understand that to be competitive in jet opps, they will need a fleet of 20+ to cover destinations and frequency

And let's be honest, the last point scares the pants off you....

VH-MFM is due shortly...

TimmyTee 2nd Aug 2022 20:58

Flew on Rex to Sydney yesterday, 12 total. Never disembarked off a 737 so peacefully!

MickG0105 2nd Aug 2022 23:48


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 11271904)
Lets look logically
If, for example, REX jet was performing so badly one would assume
1) They would not be adding more 738s

Let's look factually, Rex has been talking about adding to its jet fleet for well over a year and nothing has changed. They've had the same size fleet since March 2021.


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 11271904)
2) They may sit on current numbers and chase some FIFO work out west and move existing frames over to the west

Is that not now a live option given their recent involvement in acquiring Cobham's FIFO operations?


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 11271904)
However
If things look promising one would assume
1) More frames for greater frequency

They could achieve greater frequency now with their existing fleet. Their current "frame" utilisation is ordinary, to say the least.


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 11271904)
3) REX may well understand that to be competitive in jet opps...

​​​​​​By what convolution of English do you arrive at two 'p's when contracting the word 'operations'?


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 11271904)
VH-MFM is due shortly ...

Do you have a date for that?

MFM is not currently an assigned registration and the hex code quoted in that Planespotters entry is for a GA-8 Airvan. ​​​​​​

Deano969 3rd Aug 2022 01:10

Mick
1) Why add frames during the height of the pandemic?
Perhaps if VA were gone, but that did not happen

2) I was referring to growing Cobham

3) In your opinion the utilization is low, they may well have a strategy with a significant uptick with increased frames, to my knowledge they have no 737s parked, can we say the same for VA / QF?

4) Stop being pedantic opps ops whatevs

5) I suggest you have a second look on Planespotters

morno 3rd Aug 2022 01:17


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 11272066)
Mick
1) Why add frames during the height of the pandemic?
Perhaps if VA were gone, but that did not happen

2) I was referring to growing Cobham

3) In your opinion the utilization is low, they may well have a strategy with a significant uptick with increased frames, to my knowledge they have no 737s parked, can we say the same for VA / QF?

4) Stop being pedantic opps ops whatevs

5) I suggest you have a second look on Planespotters

There is still no registration on the CASA database for MFM

MickG0105 3rd Aug 2022 03:01


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 11272066)
1) Why add frames during the height of the pandemic?
Perhaps if VA were gone, but that did not happen

WTF are you talking about now? Rex have been talking about increasing their fleet for well over a year. The world has known that Virgin weren't going anywhere for nearly two years now.

Around this time last year Rex told the ASX that they were adding two aircraft in late August, and increasing their 737 fleet to eight by September last year. Between that announcement and now domestic pax movements have quadrupled. And nothing happened to Rex's B737 fleet.

If they didn't/couldn't add aircraft during that sort of surge in demand what makes now a good time to be adding capacity?


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 11272066)
3) In your opinion the utilization is low ...

Their utilisation rate is 20-30 percent below QF/VA. I don't know whether they have some form of religious observance policy in place, maybe they all get together and pray for better times (or a grant), but on Sundays half their fleet is still on the ground come mid-morning.


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 11272066)
3)... they may well have a strategy with a significant uptick with increased frames, ...

WTF does that mean? They can't put enough bums on seats now to warrant flying their fleet at the rate they should be. What strategy would allow them to conjure up more pax by adding capacity? Magic? Wishful thinking?


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 11272066)
4) Stop being pedantic opps ops whatevs

Try writing as though English was your first language. All this "opps", "frames", "strategy with significant uptick" nonsense has all the hallmarks of someone who has heard of few aviation terms and then throws them around trying to look like they understand the business.


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 11272066)
5) I suggest you have a second look on Planespotters

Why? Did you just send through an update? That hex code, 7C3D80, is for an Airvan and -MFM isn't on the register. What else am I meant to be looking at?

PoppaJo 3rd Aug 2022 03:18


I get it, you are dearly wanting REX to fail and you totally love where you work and don't want competition to effect your conditions, so you spot a couple of flights with low numbers of pax getting on or off and extrapolate those numbers to every flight
You see QF JQ and VA with close to full as they regularly cancel flights and amalgamate loads, obviously REX don't have that option, well not yet....
Your claims are just opinions and lies. Nobody asked Rex to start a 737 operation. Nobody asked Bonza to start some fantasy 737 operation. Serving a market that does not exist. I am not about wanting to see players fall over, Iím not about wanting to see operators doing bad, Iím all about a sustainable path forward for this profession. The most sustainable way for this profession over the next few decades is QF/VA/JQ and the regionals/charters. You could say that Iím anti competitive, wrong, simply the market isnít big enough for more players, the proof is in the history. At the end of the day, what pisses me off is flight crews being screwed over. Thatís all these time wasters achieve.

You will find the others are actually already full when they cancel flights. Thatís the current issue at the moment, itís not load related but operations related. Regardless, I havenít had anything cancelled on my roster or at my base for the last fortnight. The last 3 days not a single seat available.

Deano969 3rd Aug 2022 06:06


Originally Posted by PoppaJo (Post 11272093)
Your claims are just opinions and lies. Nobody asked Rex to start a 737 operation. Nobody asked Bonza to start some fantasy 737 operation. Serving a market that does not exist. I am not about wanting to see players fall over, Iím not about wanting to see operators doing bad, Iím all about a sustainable path forward for this profession. The most sustainable way for this profession over the next few decades is QF/VA/JQ and the regionals/charters. You could say that Iím anti competitive, wrong, simply the market isnít big enough for more players, the proof is in the history. At the end of the day, what pisses me off is flight crews being screwed over. Thatís all these time wasters achieve.

You will find the others are actually already full when they cancel flights. Thatís the current issue at the moment, itís not load related but operations related. Regardless, I havenít had anything cancelled on my roster or at my base for the last fortnight. The last 3 days not a single seat available.

So you are not wanting to see players to fall over, you just don't want them too start in the first place
News flash, the 2 airline agreement ended decades ago.....
You say Australia is not big enough for 3 players (QF, Link, JQ are all one and the same as far as I am concerned)
Australia has some of the busiest trunk routes on the planet
Thinner routes are served in Asia, the US and Europe by 4 5 6 airlines with 2-4 flights daily
And if you are worried that a bit of competition will see you conditions suffer, you should be more worried about JQ and Network

Wizofoz 3rd Aug 2022 07:26

Seems like the three new -800s are a thing
Rex Brings In More Boeings On Back Of A Bumper July Performance (simpleflying.com)

PoppaJo 3rd Aug 2022 09:05


Originally Posted by Deano969 (Post 11272143)
Australia has some of the busiest trunk routes on the planet
Thinner routes are served in Asia, the US and Europe by 4 5 6 airlines with 2-4 flights daily
And if you are worried that a bit of competition will see you conditions suffer, you should be more worried about JQ and Network

Busiest routes so that means guaranteed success? Not how it works buddy. Triangle is largely corporate which drives the numbers, all heavily skewed towards Qantas and Virgin with associated huge networks, international feed, corporate deals and so on. Jetstar has the low cost stuff, the other two play for the corporate traffic and premium leisure. All bases are covered, what market is Rex actually going for?

Now to waste 2 mins of my time and prove a point, a good example is this evening in the main trunk run. Virgin is no less than 95% full between 4-6pm. Rex is 20%. Later on tonight it appears the numbers sink further. Again, why do we need a third and fourth airline?

Can you explain to me in detail how this player with a few NGs is going to result in my pay being cut? Are you trying to say they are going to get 30 machines, rip the traffic away from the others, resulting in my employer and others reducing capacity and cutting conditions? Are you on drugs?

Wizofoz 3rd Aug 2022 09:13


Originally Posted by PoppaJo (Post 11272218)
Busiest routes so that means guaranteed success? Not how it works buddy. Triangle is largely corporate which drives the numbers, all heavily skewed towards Qantas and Virgin with associated huge networks, international feed, corporate deals and so on. Jetstar has the low cost stuff, the other two play for the corporate traffic and premium leisure. All bases are covered, what market is Rex actually going for?

Now to waste 2 mins of my time and prove a point, a good example is this evening in the main trunk run. Virgin is no less than 95% full between 4-6pm. Rex is 20%. Later on tonight it appears the numbers sink further. Again, why do we need a third and fourth airline?

Can you explain to me in detail how this player with a few NGs is going to result in my pay being cut? Are you trying to say they are going to get 30 machines, rip the traffic away from the others, resulting in my employer and others reducing capacity and cutting conditions? Are you on drugs?

Where do you get your numbers, Poppajo?

Paragraph377 3rd Aug 2022 09:25


Originally Posted by Wizofoz (Post 11272225)
Where do you get your numbers, Poppajo?

Iím not speaking on behalf of Poppajo, but I think he/she has a prime viewing position from the pointy end of his/her jet parked next to the REX machines.

Mr_App 3rd Aug 2022 09:33

Thought Iíd join to educate a few on the topic. Is a few online platforms you can use. Not sure which one the poster is using above however if you have a subscription to Nexus, ExpertFlyer, KVS availability, you can see loads. How it works is these companies buy the data from the GDS (as do agents with full access ), they make a business from subscriptions.

Having a quick look I can see Rex loads on Nexus and ExpertF. I cannot see Jetstar or Qantaslink. Qantas is very patchy due to awards. Rex is a simple airline, the numbers are accurate. You can get a free subscription to the second one however I think they restrict viewing. The numbers are good post departure for accuracy with award seats you wonít get accurate data for some carriers. You use these platforms for award planning which can become a very useful tool. For example, Expert Flyer is giving a load for the now departing Melbourne to Sydney of around 30 people. A Sydney to Brisbane flight looks busy. A Melbourne to Adelaide flight about a third. The figures are the same on Nexus, so nothing wrong with the numbers. EDIT- Expert flyer seems to offer a free subscription but limits the amounts of searches to about half dozen flights a day. So anyone can go and suss out loads. I assume this is where the journalist and posters on this site get the loads from.

transition_alt 3rd Aug 2022 13:02

Iím excited to see a select few proven wrong when VH-MFM arrives from Europe mid this month.

brokenagain 3rd Aug 2022 13:34


I’m excited to see a select few proven wrong when VH-MFM arrives from Europe mid this month.
Maybe so, but it’ll just be another 737 flying around with loads that wouldn’t fill a Saab.


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:41.


Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.