Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Project Winton- Airbus

Old 30th Jun 2022, 02:20
  #181 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,749
Both EBAs donít expire for another 12-18 months, and then negotiations usually take a year, so finalised deals wonít be voted on for another 2-3 years. A different environment will exist then.

Plus a smart negotiating team can technically comply with a wage freeze policy but find smart ways to reach a deal the pilot group can find palatable. Just requires some time.
dr dre is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2022, 02:42
  #182 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Whanganui, NZ
Posts: 240
And you're only looking back 20 years.
If you go back to the 1970s & 1980s, inflation was much, much higher than recently
kiwi grey is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2022, 01:45
  #183 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 30 Seconds to Mars
Posts: 4
Snoop

Originally Posted by dr dre View Post
Plus a smart negotiating team can technically comply with a wage freeze policy but find smart ways to reach a deal the pilot group can find palatable. Just requires some time.
Meanwhile in 2022:
United (Mainline) Pilots get 14.5% pay raise - Business Insider
American Airlines (Mainline) Pilots offered nearly 17% pay raise - CNBC
Hawk Circle is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2022, 05:14
  #184 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Dog House
Posts: 31
CPI dosen't take into account the sky rocketing real estate market (existing dwellings) either... take a look at 1900-1980 vs 2000-2020 for the J curve. And the shortage of rentals for the younger ones near most bases is becoming an issue.
Pedalz is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2022, 05:17
  #185 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Somewhere better soon
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by Hawk Circle View Post
Meanwhile in 2022:
United (Mainline) Pilots get 14.5% pay raise - Business Insider
American Airlines (Mainline) Pilots offered nearly 17% pay raise - CNBC

I hear the United union arenít pleased with 14.5% in light of the better offer made to AA
Thumb War is offline  
Old 4th Jul 2022, 09:11
  #186 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 807
QF and group better pick their act up quick smart otherwise there will be no punters left to fly on them. Pi$$ing so many ppl off each day the latest, knowingly departing Sydney for Wellington then diverting to Christchurch because of curfew. Telling lax to grab a couch and get comfy. Hope AJ holiday is most excellent.

Not hearing such from VA pax must be running smoothly there.
SHVC is offline  
Old 4th Jul 2022, 11:55
  #187 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,749
Originally Posted by SHVC View Post

Not hearing such from VA pax must be running smoothly there.
BITRE on time departure data for May had VA group at 64% OTP vs QF group at 61.5%. Not ideal and should be doing better but VA had a similar fall in OTP compare to QF.

Photos from Sydney T2, pretty chaotic and it mostly seems to be at the VA check in. A quick perusal of the VA FB page shows lots of angry comments regarding flight delays, cancellations, baggage issues, call centre wait times, overbooking etc.

And a perusal of news sites shows cancellations and delays all across the northern hemisphere this summer. This isnít making any excuses for whatís happening atm, I think all airlines need to do better, but itís not a problem confined to just one airline in one country.

I remember in 2011 everyone was saying that would be the end of QF too, everyone would flock to VA. What ended up happening?

dr dre is offline  
Old 4th Jul 2022, 13:02
  #188 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Parliament
Posts: 34
Not only the punters are leaving Qantas, there is currently a max exodus of pilots from the group headed to the USA.
JoeTripodi is offline  
Old 4th Jul 2022, 15:07
  #189 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Somewhere better soon
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by JoeTripodi View Post
Not only the punters are leaving Qantas, there is currently a max exodus of pilots from the group headed to the USA.
They should all be applauded. Employees voting with their feet is the only thing that makes airline management think about coughing up a few more dollars
Thumb War is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2022, 03:41
  #190 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kichin
Posts: 651
Originally Posted by Thumb War View Post
They should all be applauded. Employees voting with their feet is the only thing that makes airline management think about coughing up a few more dollars
A few more dollars? When companies like Atlas are throwing numbers around that would give AJ heartburn, itís clear that there will need to be HUUUUGE incentives.
gordonfvckingramsay is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2022, 04:05
  #191 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: tossbagville
Posts: 407
Huge numbers leaving? Really?
tossbag is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2022, 07:27
  #192 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by JoeTripodi View Post
Not only the punters are leaving Qantas, there is currently a max exodus of pilots from the group headed to the USA.
Would I be right in guessing that's mainly from non-mainline group entities with a few less-senior S/O's from Longhaul?

I believe most US operators wont take an ex-Qantas group pilot unless they resign; that is not acceptable if on LWOP.
C441 is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2022, 14:01
  #193 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,749
Originally Posted by C441 View Post
Would I be right in guessing that's mainly from non-mainline group entities with a few less-senior S/O's from Longhaul?

I believe most US operators wont take an ex-Qantas group pilot unless they resign; that is not acceptable if on LWOP.
I havenít heard of a single current mainline pilot resigning to go to a US regional (legacy carriers only on offer for those with green cards). Even if there were it would be a single digit number only.

I suspect a few who took VR may have taken up a contract to fly for Atlas for a couple of years, but only after a VR package, and pretty much everyone who took VR had less than 5 years to go to retirement anyway. Thereís certainly no ďexodusĒ.
dr dre is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2022, 14:57
  #194 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Somewhere better soon
Posts: 43
Know of 1 mainline S/O currently going through the process. I think as said by a previous poster it would more likely be from other group companies.
Thumb War is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 02:42
  #195 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 133
Originally Posted by Thumb War View Post
Know of 1 mainline S/O currently going through the process. I think as said by a previous poster it would more likely be from other group companies.
Have heard from buddies over there now that there are indeed a number of QF S/Os jumping from the rat to a few different US regionals, I guess they like to actually fly airplanes. Wouldn't be shocked if a bunch of expats are bouncing back to oz as well though.
LostWanderer is online now  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 02:57
  #196 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SYD
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by LostWanderer View Post
Have heard from buddies over there now that there are indeed a number of QF S/Os jumping from the rat to a few different US regionals, I guess they like to actually fly airplanes. Wouldn't be shocked if a bunch of expats are bouncing back to oz as well though.
If they want to "actually fly airlplaes" then it's a very quick path to becoming a 737 F/O in mainline and able to make ~180-200k on comfortable hours. Seems a lot better than flogging around for a second tier US carrier.
Vindiesel is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 03:08
  #197 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by Vindiesel View Post
If they want to "actually fly airlplaes" then it's a very quick path to becoming a 737 F/O in mainline and able to make ~180-200k on comfortable hours. Seems a lot better than flogging around for a second tier US carrier.
Nope. Theyíll make more at the regionals over there and have better conditions than Qf 737. Cancellation pay - youíre paid a minimum of what your initial roster is published at. Duty and trip rigs. Four hotels a month if you commute. Bonuses. Better flying. More destinations. Far better atc and procedures. List goes onÖ.

But this is probably more appropriate on the thread for US regionals.
stillcallozhome is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 05:43
  #198 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NZ
Posts: 53
A220/B717 CPT @ DL on $350K/AUD... maybe $100K more than what QF will pay NJS?? Multiplied by X number of years... that's a lot of beer

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/...lta_air_lines#
SIDS N STARS is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 06:34
  #199 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by SIDS N STARS View Post
A220/B717 CPT @ DL on $350K/AUD... maybe $100K more than what QF will pay NJS?? Multiplied by X number of years... that's a lot of beer

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/...lta_air_lines#
Not really applicable as thatís a legacy and wonít take E3 applicants. Speaking more to the regionals that are offering over $150p/h for 1st year FO with huge bonuses up to 60k on top. I believe these were introduced with an August 2024 expiry so would suit well to go for a brief period. Regionals over there are rarely career destinations anymore. More a stepping stone to legacy or fedex/ups etc.
stillcallozhome is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 07:13
  #200 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Outer Marker hut
Posts: 213
Originally Posted by SIDS N STARS View Post
A220/B717 CPT @ DL on $350K/AUD... maybe $100K more than what QF will pay NJS?? Multiplied by X number of years... that's a lot of beer

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/...lta_air_lines#

I believe the data on the NJS salary is incorrect. NJS pilots are not on $100k less than $350k. They donít even crack $200k
bazza stub is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.