Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

REX to transition to ATRs, start domestic jet ops

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

REX to transition to ATRs, start domestic jet ops

Old 6th Mar 2021, 22:23
  #801 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a box
Posts: 283
Article recently mentioned that Paul Scurrah was on the attendee list for Rex's inaugural flight party..... Interesting. He has worked for Rex before. Early days.

Would have thought that there would be no compete clauses thrown around. Or are they not a thing in the inner circle of mates that are airline companies in Australia.
Servo is offline  
Old 6th Mar 2021, 22:28
  #802 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 3,059
Would have thought that there would be no compete clauses thrown around.
How is being on the inaugural flight competing with VA?

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/arti...y-back-to-rex/
Icarus2001 is offline  
Old 6th Mar 2021, 22:48
  #803 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Asia
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Servo View Post
Article recently mentioned that Paul Scurrah was on the attendee list for Rex's inaugural flight party..... Interesting. He has worked for Rex before. Early days.

Would have thought that there would be no compete clauses thrown around. Or are they not a thing in the inner circle of mates that are airline companies in Australia.
I really don’t think Bain give two shits about all these ex useless Virgin Managers and who they work for.

They are all clueless. They will all just rock up at Rex Virginise it. Worked well for Tiger.
wheels_down is offline  
Old 7th Mar 2021, 00:11
  #804 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Age: 68
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by wheels_down View Post
I really don’t think Bain give two shits about all these ex useless Virgin Managers and who they work for. They are all clueless. They will all just rock up at Rex Virginise it. Worked well for Tiger.
In fact, if I was the VA CEO I would be pleased to see the former VA deadwood and deadbeats turning up at other airline functions as that means that the dross might take their uselessness and introduce it to the opposition airline, and that would be a good thing for VA.
Paragraph377 is online now  
Old 7th Mar 2021, 00:41
  #805 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Equatorial
Age: 48
Posts: 782
Originally Posted by Paragraph377 View Post
In fact, if I was the VA CEO I would be pleased to see the former VA deadwood and deadbeats turning up at other airline functions as that means that the dross might take their uselessness and introduce it to the opposition airline, and that would be a good thing for VA.
Is that in the same vein as an ex JQ CEO now CEO?
Global Aviator is offline  
Old 7th Mar 2021, 01:18
  #806 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NSW
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by Global Aviator View Post
Is that in the same vein as an ex JQ CEO now CEO?
Australia all over! The gene pool for executives revolves around recycling hazbeens and I guess lezbeens in all areas of this society starting with politicians and others....
TBM-Legend is offline  
Old 7th Mar 2021, 03:22
  #807 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a box
Posts: 283
Originally Posted by Icarus2001 View Post
How is being on the inaugural flight competing with VA?

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/arti...y-back-to-rex/
I was more thinking along the lines of Paul might be stepping into the CEO job or COO position at Rex, is all. Sorry.

But others have clarified it is very common, Andrew David, Miss Jayne etc etc.

Paul would still have some knowledge of the new direction Bain is going, some of which would not be common knowledge.
​​​​​​When talking about dross, Miss Jayne knows a thing or two or was that five...... Strategic pillars that one can print out and put in their bathroom to remind you how lucky you are and how it will make a VA successful.

Still a lot of dross at VA.
Servo is offline  
Old 7th Mar 2021, 03:42
  #808 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Asia
Posts: 1
I think everyone is underestimating the power that VA and QF hold and how weak ZL actually is. Weaker than Tiger.

Yes Virgin has problems being worked through which will take 12-24 months to get the basics right. Qantas has debt issues and will exit with a shitload of it.

I’m just trying to work out what passenger Rex is actually trying to target with this now ‘on and off’ schedule that Sharp pointed at last week. Even Tiger held a firm seasonal schedule.

Rex has a online Check-in which does not work, it has a website that resonates with the year 2005, its ‘change your booking’ platform has been offline since mid December. I can change a Virgin booking on the app in about 60 seconds, even then they claim their Digital platforms are not adequate, and are investing more in Digital over the next 5 years than Rex is injecting into its 737 dream.

It’s clear who is going to be left behind next year and it’s not Jayne or Alan. Watching Scurrah tinker with Rex and it’s 737s will be quite amusing.
wheels_down is offline  
Old 7th Mar 2021, 07:55
  #809 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 407
So with the last Rexjet flight for the first week just departing Sydney, what’s the verdict ?
Someone must have been looking at loads and OTP. Todays loads might be an aberration following the SCC show last night.
I still reckon six months might be an overestimate for survival despite the PR blurb about route expansion.
On eyre is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2021, 02:12
  #810 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 407
Originally Posted by On eyre View Post
So with the last Rexjet flight for the first week just departing Sydney, what’s the verdict ?
Someone must have been looking at loads and OTP. Todays loads might be an aberration following the SCC show last night.
I still reckon six months might be an overestimate for survival despite the PR blurb about route expansion.
Wow - not a word - is the thread being censored ?
On eyre is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2021, 02:50
  #811 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 3,059
I am guessing that people feel one week of operation is too short a time frame to declare a "verdict". I know I do.
Rex have set themselves a huge task and it is pretty clear they did not expect VA to still be operating.
Best of luck to the boys and girls and I hope it works for them. We are all better off by having more jet operators in this country, both as pilots and as consumers.
Icarus2001 is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2021, 03:01
  #812 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 407
Originally Posted by Icarus2001 View Post
I am guessing that people feel one week of operation is too short a time frame to declare a "verdict". I know I do.
Rex have set themselves a huge task and it is pretty clear they did not expect VA to still be operating.
Best of luck to the boys and girls and I hope it works for them. We are all better off by having more jet operators in this country, both as pilots and as consumers.
Appreciate that - I wasn’t looking for a verdict on survival but rather some indication of the first weeks performance - should have worded it a bit differently.
On eyre is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2021, 10:01
  #813 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by Icarus2001 View Post
We are all better off by having more jet operators in this country, both as pilots and as consumers.
To a point, maybe, providing those jet operators remain solvent.

I don’t think pilots or consumers are better off by endless repetitions of jet operators going under, only to be replaced by the next entrepreneur offering even lower pay and conditions.

And when they are “successful”, they tend to get swallowed up by one of the two majors anyway - ala Impulse, Skywest, Network. QF is already making inroads into Alliance.

I can’t see Rex jets being successful on a large scale in their own right, unless they make some very smart decisions. This would involve offering a better product than VA and JQ on a lower cost base, and persuading the customers of this. They will also need deeper pockets than a quick $150M from a Singaporean investor.

Bain may at some point be interested in making Rex an offer they can’t refuse, and Rex jet replaces Tiger, and Rex regional compliments VARA. If Bain’s exit strategy is to sell VA for more than they paid for it, this could be on the cards. Back to the old duopoly.

Have Rex actually permanently employed any ex-VA pilots, or have they only taken them on via short-term contracts while they train up cadets? Only asking because I saw their advertisement for short-term contract 737 trainers.
Derfred is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2021, 03:05
  #814 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Hotel Quarantine
Posts: 7
Some heads must be exploding along Baxter road this morning with the announcement of the government package to assist domestic aviation.

With at least three of the new Rex routes (Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney to the Gold Coast) being eligible for a government subsidy but only to Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin (as a route needs to of been flown for at least two years to qualify) Rex will be struggling to fill seats even more now.

Even funnier is that Adelaide to Kingscote which Rex have served for years is an eligible route but is also one they are exiting at the end of this month after spitting the dummy about competition. I wonder if they’ll reverse that decision now?

The screeching howls of unfairness will be echoing all weekend.

But why should Rex be given a similar opportunity to the rest?

They have arguably received more government assistance as a proportion than any other airline in Australia and even posted a 10 million dollar profit last year. They had no problem raising 150 million dollars to fund an expansion. On top of this there shouldn’t be any barrier to them increasing their intrastate flights as border restrictions haven’t affected travel within each state as much as between the states.

Are they still keeping the majority of their Saab crews on minimum flying hours?

Rex will need to be careful how they spin this because any cries of unfairness will quickly be shot down by especially their regional customers as it is they who are being ignored while the company chases the dream of shiny jets.
Bull_Shark is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2021, 22:10
  #815 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Age: 68
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by Bull_Shark View Post
Some heads must be exploding along Baxter road this morning with the announcement of the government package to assist domestic aviation.

With at least three of the new Rex routes (Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney to the Gold Coast) being eligible for a government subsidy but only to Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin (as a route needs to of been flown for at least two years to qualify) Rex will be struggling to fill seats even more now.

Even funnier is that Adelaide to Kingscote which Rex have served for years is an eligible route but is also one they are exiting at the end of this month after spitting the dummy about competition. I wonder if they’ll reverse that decision now?

The screeching howls of unfairness will be echoing all weekend.

But why should Rex be given a similar opportunity to the rest?

They have arguably received more government assistance as a proportion than any other airline in Australia and even posted a 10 million dollar profit last year. They had no problem raising 150 million dollars to fund an expansion. On top of this there shouldn’t be any barrier to them increasing their intrastate flights as border restrictions haven’t affected travel within each state as much as between the states.

Are they still keeping the majority of their Saab crews on minimum flying hours?

Rex will need to be careful how they spin this because any cries of unfairness will quickly be shot down by especially their regional customers as it is they who are being ignored while the company chases the dream of shiny jets.
REX relies heavily on Mr not-so-Sharp’s political connections, and his tears. Rather than formulating business strategies that are commensurate with REX size, aircraft type and scope of operation, Messrs Sharp and Lim seem to obviously sit daily in the boardroom and on Zoom tugging on their carrots while dreaming about becoming a behemoth like United Airlines. They need to stop sooking and stop trying to be breastfed from the Infrastructure Minister and National party’s nipples. Somebody, please anybody, when they wake up from their sticky mess can you please tell them that the universe doesn’t revolve around REX?



Last edited by Paragraph377; 12th Mar 2021 at 00:57.
Paragraph377 is online now  
Old 11th Mar 2021, 22:45
  #816 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: space
Posts: 380
Sticky mess...great image right there! Gold!
zanthrus is offline  
Old 12th Mar 2021, 07:18
  #817 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Asia
Posts: 1
Forget Scurrah. Sharpie on the ABC said he does not pay his executive team more than 200k each. It’s all about keeping costs down. Scuz will want that mill.
wheels_down is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2021, 23:10
  #818 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: MEL
Posts: 141
Well Scurrah reportedly landed a very good payout after being booted by Bain, contingent on him making a quiet and graceful exit, and apparently he's on a full year of gardening leave instead of six months, so by all accounts he's pretty set and in no rush to return, at least not to an airline. But I suspect that if he did return to Rex as MD or CEO then part of his plan would be to develop the airline to the point where it gets bought by Bain either in full or as an equity plat to become the new Virgin Regional, given that Virgin can't rely on Alliance with Qantas sandboxing ALliance's E190s and eager to increase its own 20% stage in Alliance to maybe full ownership. So maybe Scurrah would be okay to slum it on $200k if he was given an equity stake in Rex so that in the even of a Bain buyout he walks away with a lot more.
MelbourneFlyer is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2021, 23:12
  #819 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: MEL
Posts: 141
Rex looks to add more Boeing 737 jets, more destinations: https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...e-destinations

Rex being quite up front now about wanting cities to show an "expression of interest" aka $$$ for being next on its Boeing 737 list. BNE still a front runner you'd think, can't see PER being part of this, and not HOB given the mid-year timing.
MelbourneFlyer is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2021, 00:50
  #820 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Asia
Posts: 1
Adelaide and the Gold Coast has always been the most active when it came to incentivizing carriers to come.

Canberra, Cairns, Hobart will probably appear soon.

Id expect a deal to run to Darwin for the peak season.
wheels_down is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.