PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX to transition to ATRs, start domestic jet ops
Old 8th Mar 2021, 10:01
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Icarus2001
We are all better off by having more jet operators in this country, both as pilots and as consumers.
To a point, maybe, providing those jet operators remain solvent.

I don’t think pilots or consumers are better off by endless repetitions of jet operators going under, only to be replaced by the next entrepreneur offering even lower pay and conditions.

And when they are “successful”, they tend to get swallowed up by one of the two majors anyway - ala Impulse, Skywest, Network. QF is already making inroads into Alliance.

I can’t see Rex jets being successful on a large scale in their own right, unless they make some very smart decisions. This would involve offering a better product than VA and JQ on a lower cost base, and persuading the customers of this. They will also need deeper pockets than a quick $150M from a Singaporean investor.

Bain may at some point be interested in making Rex an offer they can’t refuse, and Rex jet replaces Tiger, and Rex regional compliments VARA. If Bain’s exit strategy is to sell VA for more than they paid for it, this could be on the cards. Back to the old duopoly.

Have Rex actually permanently employed any ex-VA pilots, or have they only taken them on via short-term contracts while they train up cadets? Only asking because I saw their advertisement for short-term contract 737 trainers.