Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Old 5th Aug 2021, 02:17
  #1541 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In the soup
Posts: 213
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
https://whnt-com.cdn.ampproject.org/...www.google.com

The salient points of this article being that summer travel is at 80% of 2019, and a mad scramble for more pilots is starting to kick off. Given that there is now precedent for current E3 pilots being sponsored onto EB3 visas (green cards), I hope soon everyone can find somewhere to jumpstart their career again.
DropYourSocks is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2021, 22:04
  #1542 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: AU
Posts: 49
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Given that there is now precedent for current E3 pilots
There is?

All I hear are vague rumours at best
VH-RME is online now  
Old 10th Aug 2021, 22:14
  #1543 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 971
Received 88 Likes on 40 Posts
Well for us Aussies it does matter, our government is keeping us hostage. We’re not allowed to leave this Effing island.
SHVC is offline  
Old 11th Aug 2021, 05:32
  #1544 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US via Oz, Honkers & Blighty.
Posts: 362
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SHVC
Well for us Aussies it does matter, our government is keeping us hostage. We’re not allowed to leave this Effing island.
My missus just told me about this change as I’ve now not seen my family for 2 years. Can anyone explain a logical reason why they’re now requiring Australian citizens who reside outside of Oz, to apply to leave? If you don’t live in Oz, you’d essentially be homeless, if you can’t get out.
Kenny is offline  
Old 11th Aug 2021, 05:37
  #1545 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Around
Posts: 89
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Theres no logical reason. Australia has the harshest lockdowns in the world and as far as I'm aware is the only country restricting it's citizens (and permanent residents) from leaving. Check the inside page of your Australian passport, it specifically states freedom of movement.
BO0M is offline  
Old 11th Aug 2021, 10:15
  #1546 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Dunda
Posts: 159
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny
Can anyone explain a logical reason why they’re now requiring Australian citizens who reside outside of Oz, to apply to leave? If you don’t live in Oz, you’d essentially be homeless, if you can’t get out.
They’re doing so expats think twice about coming back. Plenty can afford to take 6 weeks off work 2 weeks in quarantine, visit family for a month and leave again. I assume 99% of requests will be approved but I’m sure the government noticed some cancelled bookings after word spread.
patty50 is offline  
Old 11th Aug 2021, 11:20
  #1547 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: The World
Posts: 17
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi DropYourSocks just wondering what airlines in the USA have sponsored Aussie pilots on the EB3 Visa to get the Green Card?
KBNA is offline  
Old 11th Aug 2021, 16:38
  #1548 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,351
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by VH-RME
There is?

All I hear are vague rumours at best
I don't know anything about the visa-green card process but saw this statement. Perhaps more opinion than legal foundation but it's at least on the subject...I think:

https://www.overseasmanpower.com/sin...nterest-Waiver

bafanguy is offline  
Old 11th Aug 2021, 18:59
  #1549 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 454
Likes: 0
Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by KBNA
Hi DropYourSocks just wondering what airlines in the USA have sponsored Aussie pilots on the EB3 Visa to get the Green Card?
Commutair put out an internal memo recently asking any Aussies that take an upgrade, they will sponsor their green card from E3 status.
havick is offline  
Old 11th Aug 2021, 22:05
  #1550 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US via Oz, Honkers & Blighty.
Posts: 362
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by patty50
They’re doing so expats think twice about coming back. Plenty can afford to take 6 weeks off work 2 weeks in quarantine, visit family for a month and leave again. I assume 99% of requests will be approved but I’m sure the government noticed some cancelled bookings after word spread.
Patty,

Not always the sharpest tool in the shed but I must be missing something with that. So what, if expats come back; everyone has to do the 2 weeks quarantine, so it’s not as if there will be a massive COVID outbreak.
Kenny is offline  
Old 11th Aug 2021, 22:49
  #1551 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Queensland
Age: 40
Posts: 102
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny
Patty,

Not always the sharpest tool in the shed but I must be missing something with that. So what, if expats come back; everyone has to do the 2 weeks quarantine, so it’s not as if there will be a massive COVID outbreak.
I believe it may be more a (over)reaction to the claims that some people are clogging up the hotel quarantine system with multiple trips leaving and returning. A couple of premiers were carrying on about it when they wanted the arrival caps halved. So if you can't leave Australia there's no risk that you'll come back and take another quarantine slot, regardless of whether you intend to or not.

Pity it wasn't brought in before a certain delegation (made up of state, federal and local government officials) left the country to "secure" an Olympic bid of which they had no competition and you know, clog up that same hotel quarantine system on return that had just been halved.
Check_Thrust is offline  
Old 11th Aug 2021, 23:00
  #1552 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Dunda
Posts: 159
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny
Patty,

Not always the sharpest tool in the shed but I must be missing something with that. So what, if expats come back; everyone has to do the 2 weeks quarantine, so it’s not as if there will be a massive COVID outbreak.

They want to get all the “stranded aussies” home and then we can have a bare minimum quarantine.
Expats on short visits are wrecking the system and taking the quarantine place of “stranded aussies”.

For some irony the most vicious attacks against expats coming home come from expats wanting to come home or people who left hoping they’d be back soon.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/67877 2906045295/

I think if you’re overseas out of it, all hard to see just how stupid the whole thing has become. Personally I’d stay away if I was jabbed and had a job. No point coming back here.
patty50 is offline  
Old 11th Aug 2021, 23:15
  #1553 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 547
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There’s also been some chatter that to get an exemption to leave you must make a statutory declaration you will be outside the country for at least 3 months and not rely on consular assistance to get home. Bit risky for older family,
DUXNUTZ is offline  
Old 12th Aug 2021, 00:10
  #1554 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US via Oz, Honkers & Blighty.
Posts: 362
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by patty50
They want to get all the “stranded aussies” home and then we can have a bare minimum quarantine.
Expats on short visits are wrecking the system and taking the quarantine place of “stranded aussies”.

For some irony the most vicious attacks against expats coming home come from expats wanting to come home or people who left hoping they’d be back soon.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/67877 2906045295/

I think if you’re overseas out of it, all hard to see just how stupid the whole thing has become. Personally I’d stay away if I was jabbed and had a job. No point coming back here.
Patty and Check Thrust, thanks for the replies……Jesus, what a sh!t show. If it wasn’t happening in glorious real-time, technicolor, you’d think it was a bad comedy show.

If I could stay away and leave the comedy act to work itself out, I would. However, as I said, 2 years without having seen the family and I’ve got an 86yo father who’s just had a leg removed and possibly the other. So probably not much time left.

The irony is, I can be in SYD as working crew next month but no point as I’ll be stuck in a hotel room.

Kenny is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2021, 17:15
  #1555 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Equatorial
Age: 50
Posts: 1,041
Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by DUXNUTZ
There’s also been some chatter that to get an exemption to leave you must make a statutory declaration you will be outside the country for at least 3 months and not rely on consular assistance to get home. Bit risky for older family,
When you go through immigration there is a screen where you scan your passport.

Something along the lines of - it is extremely hard to get back to Australia at the moment with limited flights and cost can be very high.

Click a box that you understand this to proceed.

Straya... the lucky country...
Global Aviator is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 03:33
  #1556 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 971
Received 88 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeta_Reticuli
I will be leaving Australia as soon as I can!
Out of curiosity, where would you? Australia is messed up beyond belief but, at least you know your kids wont get shot going to school, one of the better health care systems and there is financial support if you're ever unemployed.
SHVC is offline  
Old 15th Aug 2021, 07:33
  #1557 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North of Perth
Posts: 52
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
This country is slowly but surely doing my absolute head in. With all the states, territories and federal government completely misaligned I can't foresee it getting better any time soon either.

I'll be contacting Expressjet and Commutair shortly.. any others you can think of that either are looking at or will be looking at E3s in the near future?

Ta.
ZebraFlyer is offline  
Old 15th Aug 2021, 08:15
  #1558 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 454
Likes: 0
Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ZebraFlyer
This country is slowly but surely doing my absolute head in. With all the states, territories and federal government completely misaligned I can't foresee it getting better any time soon either.

I'll be contacting Expressjet and Commutair shortly.. any others you can think of that either are looking at or will be looking at E3s in the near future?

Ta.
Express jet closed its doors a while back and only now is rising from it’s ashes of it’s former self as a stand alone regional brand.

I don’t think XJT is accepting E3 applicants and I wouldn’t put too much stock in them being around even if they do get off the ground.

Commutair is a dumpster fire but the place to be for Aussies, especially after they offered a path to a green card.
havick is offline  
Old 15th Aug 2021, 15:49
  #1559 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,351
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ZebraFlyer
I'll be contacting Expressjet and Commutair shortly.. any others you can think of that either are looking at or will be looking at E3s in the near future?
ZFlyer,

My observation has been that many regionals hiring Aussies on an E3 don't publicly advertise that fact. So word of mouth is needed for intel.

My advice would be to contact and/or apply to every one of them regardless of their reputation or negative news about them.

(havick's news about Commutair and their Aussie pilots is encouraging)

The general theme regarding regionals is that many are in bad shape in recruiting and retaining pilots yet they all appear to be operating normally. So it's hard to say how hard up they are for new pilots.

Good luck in the hunt.

Last edited by bafanguy; 15th Aug 2021 at 19:29.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 15th Aug 2021, 20:03
  #1560 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North of Perth
Posts: 52
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
That's great information, thanks havick and bafanguy.

Fingers crossed for the hunt!!
ZebraFlyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.