Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Old 9th Mar 2020, 14:41
  #1341 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Perth
Posts: 305
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
VH,

Glad it worked out for you. Just to round out the story for your fellow Aussies, in general terms, how difficult was it to get your FAA type rating added to your Australian license ?
It wasn't that difficult; just needed to get this limitation removed on the FAA ATP certificate which says "This certificate is subject to pilot-in-command limitations". Our CASA licensing authority didn't like that on the license and their argument was that all type ratings issued by CASA are 'command type ratings' so the FAA one had to be of the same standard.

Removal of that PIC limitation was easily done by logging 25 hours of 'PIC under supervision' (which was merely any PF sector flown by myself), recorded and signed off by the Captain. That log plus logbook were then taken to the FAA office for the reissue of a new FAA ATP without that limitation. Once that was done, CASA was almost happy. They were only completely happy once I completed my company IPC and had it recognised by a CASA approved Flight Examiner.
VH DSJ is offline  
Old 9th Mar 2020, 15:26
  #1342 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,431
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by VH DSJ
It wasn't that difficult; just needed to get this limitation removed on the FAA ATP certificate which says "This certificate is subject to pilot-in-command limitations". Our CASA licensing authority didn't like that on the license and their argument was that all type ratings issued by CASA are 'command type ratings' so the FAA one had to be of the same standard.

Removal of that PIC limitation was easily done by logging 25 hours of 'PIC under supervision' (which was merely any PF sector flown by myself), recorded and signed off by the Captain. That log plus logbook were then taken to the FAA office for the reissue of a new FAA ATP without that limitation. Once that was done, CASA was almost happy. They were only completely happy once I completed my company IPC and had it recognised by a CASA approved Flight Examiner.

VH,

Cool. That sounds minimally painful.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 12th Mar 2020, 09:33
  #1343 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sydney
Age: 44
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted by AP3XS the other week "The only options you have are GoJet, ExpressJet, Mesa and CommutAir."

This information is still correct & current ? Anyone know ?

Skywest no more , TSA were but closing up shop as is Compass

Of the four outlined by AP3XS , which is most efficient in terms of getting people through IOE & least amount of time on reserve (assuming you will live in any base)
Telfer86 is offline  
Old 12th Mar 2020, 09:36
  #1344 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Tracking to intercept
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Telfer86
Posted by AP3XS the other week "The only options you have are GoJet, ExpressJet, Mesa and CommutAir."

This information is still correct & current ? Anyone know ?

Skywest no more , TSA were but closing up shop as is Compass

Of the four outlined by AP3XS , which is most efficient in terms of getting people through IOE & least amount of time on reserve (assuming you will live in any base)
Think we are down to just ExpressJet, GoJet and Commute now. I saw Air Wisconsin put an ad up, but not sure if anyone has gone there.

ExpressJet is definitely the pick of the bunch.
Captain.Crunch is offline  
Old 12th Mar 2020, 10:08
  #1345 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Telfer86
Posted by AP3XS the other week "The only options you have are GoJet, ExpressJet, Mesa and CommutAir."

This information is still correct & current ? Anyone know ?

Skywest no more , TSA were but closing up shop as is Compass

Of the four outlined by AP3XS , which is most efficient in terms of getting people through IOE & least amount of time on reserve (assuming you will live in any base)
TSA & Compass were/are Trans States Holdings Companies as is GoJet. The owner of TSH is Hulas who is in his mid 80's and has been trying to sell the airlines for a while because his kids have no interest in running/owning the company. Go to GoJet at your own risk. I believe the reserve time there is fairly short, maybe 3-4 months.

ExpressJet is probably the safest option at the moment since United owns 49.9% of the company. Got the following information directly from an ExpressJet recruiter who was pretty honest:
Reserve Times: (I may kick myself in the butt for this one but I promised honesty in this group so here it is...)
a. IAH – CA: 12 years FO: 6 months
b. EWR – CA: 8 years / FO: 8 months
c. ORD – CA: 14 years / FO: 6 months
d. CLE – CA: 7 years / FO: 5 months (Supposed to be closing this base but just received information that it’ll stay open for now)
e. TYS – CA: NA / FO: NA
(Keep in mind, these change on a month to month basis. The more aircraft and flying is awarded to each domicile the reserve time will decrease... Also, sitting reserve at XJT isn't a bad thing either, even our reserve pilots are averaging anywhere between 75-95hrs a month, so you are not sitting around in a crash pad or the airport!!)

I know a few Aussies currently in the US who have been trying to get in contact with Mesa for a few weeks and have received no reply. I don't know anything about CommutAir except their sign on bonus is $22k. Skywest have agreed to take on Aussies who were already on an E3 Visa at TSA but I don't think they are opening it up to everyone.

Personally I'm leaving the US and returning to Australia. I'm sure with the travel ban that Trump put in place today some of the airlines are going to have no choice but to furlough pilots. Being at the bottom of a seniority list in the US doesn't sound like a great idea to me. Plus the bonuses used to be about $50-60k in the first year and they are down to about $10-20k. Each to their own though, but I would seriously weigh up the pros and cons. Also keep in mind that if you come to the US your health insurance won't kick in for a couple months - something to consider at the moment.



AP3XS is offline  
Old 12th Mar 2020, 10:28
  #1346 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne
Age: 35
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome info AP3XS and welcome home! @ Expressjet how is fleet allocated? Any Aussies on the 175 and was that the fleet allocated to them from the word go?
Alex3008 is offline  
Old 12th Mar 2020, 10:31
  #1347 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex3008
Awesome info AP3XS and welcome home! @ Expressjet how is fleet allocated? Any Aussies on the 175 and was that the fleet allocated to them from the word go?
ExpressJet is losing all of their 175's to Skywest. They will be a E145 only fleet by the end of the year (probably earlier).
AP3XS is offline  
Old 12th Mar 2020, 11:21
  #1348 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,431
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain.Crunch
I saw Air Wisconsin put an ad up, but not sure if anyone has gone there.
Captain.C,

When/where did you see an AW ad ? And was it addressing the E3 applicants ? I can't find one. AW is said to be reducing its April schedule.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 12th Mar 2020, 17:49
  #1349 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Tracking to intercept
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
Captain.C,

When/where did you see an AW ad ? And was it addressing the E3 applicants ? I can't find one. AW is said to be reducing its April schedule.
It was an Instagram sponsored ad a few months ago and yes was specifically for E3 Australian applicants. But as mentioned I haven't heard of anyone actually starting with them.

Only one's I have heard of recently are ExpressJet, GoJet and Commute. Mesa don't seem to be taking on any more E3s at this time.
Captain.Crunch is offline  
Old 12th Mar 2020, 19:01
  #1350 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,431
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain.Crunch
It was an Instagram sponsored ad a few months ago and yes was specifically for E3 Australian applicants. But as mentioned I haven't heard of anyone actually starting with them.

Only one's I have heard of recently are ExpressJet, GoJet and Commute. Mesa don't seem to be taking on any more E3s at this time.
Captain.C,

Thanks. There is a bit of uncertainty here at the moment.

There's this about Commutair from another forum posted today:

"According to an update from our CEO today, CommutAir will keep hiring as well. We will continue to hire pilots and mechanics 'for the foreseeable future without pause.' "

And this on their pilot employment website. Worth asking them about it ?:

https://www.flycommutair.com/e-3-visa/

Last edited by bafanguy; 12th Mar 2020 at 21:42.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 13th Mar 2020, 15:33
  #1351 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Location
Posts: 67
Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AP3XS
TSA & Compass were/are Trans States Holdings Companies as is GoJet. The owner of TSH is Hulas who is in his mid 80's and has been trying to sell the airlines for a while because his kids have no interest in running/owning the company. Go to GoJet at your own risk. I believe the reserve time there is fairly short, maybe 3-4 months.

ExpressJet is probably the safest option at the moment since United owns 49.9% of the company. Got the following information directly from an ExpressJet recruiter who was pretty honest:
Reserve Times: (I may kick myself in the butt for this one but I promised honesty in this group so here it is...)
a. IAH – CA: 12 years FO: 6 months
b. EWR – CA: 8 years / FO: 8 months
c. ORD – CA: 14 years / FO: 6 months
d. CLE – CA: 7 years / FO: 5 months (Supposed to be closing this base but just received information that it’ll stay open for now)
e. TYS – CA: NA / FO: NA
(Keep in mind, these change on a month to month basis. The more aircraft and flying is awarded to each domicile the reserve time will decrease... Also, sitting reserve at XJT isn't a bad thing either, even our reserve pilots are averaging anywhere between 75-95hrs a month, so you are not sitting around in a crash pad or the airport!!)

I know a few Aussies currently in the US who have been trying to get in contact with Mesa for a few weeks and have received no reply. I don't know anything about CommutAir except their sign on bonus is $22k. Skywest have agreed to take on Aussies who were already on an E3 Visa at TSA but I don't think they are opening it up to everyone.

Personally I'm leaving the US and returning to Australia. I'm sure with the travel ban that Trump put in place today some of the airlines are going to have no choice but to furlough pilots. Being at the bottom of a seniority list in the US doesn't sound like a great idea to me. Plus the bonuses used to be about $50-60k in the first year and they are down to about $10-20k. Each to their own though, but I would seriously weigh up the pros and cons. Also keep in mind that if you come to the US your health insurance won't kick in for a couple months - something to consider at the moment.
Apex, im just wondering what it is that you are basing your decision to move home so hastily? Whereabouts are you on the timeline e.g. in training, line holder etc. Any judgment aside I'm genuinely curious as someone going through the E3 process getting ready to go over shortly. And curious how you have planned your move. Do you have a job lined up back in Aus or are you leaving a job with potential uncertainty and coming back to guaranteed uncertainty?

My understanding is that even if XJT were able to hire their targeted 840 pilots for the year, there was still going to be a net loss of a couple hundred pilots by the year's end. This will obviously change as all the mainline carriers freeze hiring across the board and slow attrition, but there was still a lot of retirements and the fact that we're 3 months into the year and they are nowhere near on track to hire their targeted 840. Combine this with the 30 jets they have parked and the 36 they're about to acquire, it's difficult to imagine that anyone will be given the boot so swiftly. Been doing a lot of research and the regionals tend to fair better than the mainlines in times of crises. XJT furloughed pilots in 2008 due financial issues related to oil prices, unrelated to any global crisis. Skywest have never furloughed, just as a couple of examples.

I may just be trying to sell myself on the idea that it will still be ok to go, but just very curious on your decision making process given that you're making the significant decision to leave and come home.
plotplot is offline  
Old 13th Mar 2020, 16:51
  #1352 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US via Oz, Honkers & Blighty.
Posts: 375
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Plotplot,

A bit more info for you.

Delta are parking 300 aircraft. A schedule reduction of 40%
AA are parking the remaining 757/767 aircraft.
UAL management have said that they see this as worse than 9/11 and planning for a worst case of 18 months for loads to return pre COVID-19 levels.
No plans as yet for parking aircraft at UAL but it won’t be a surprise if the older P&W 75’s are parked.

I need to check it out but there may well be a flow-back clause in the UAL contract, which would mean that if UAL pilots are furloughed, they can go to express carriers. Again, I’m not sure but I received an email form UAL ALPA a few days ago and this was mentioned.

There is unlikely to be any hiring at UAL, DAL or AA for the rest of the year. My personal opinion but not unlikely. Any retirements will simply offset the need to furlough. So the forecast need and attrition at the regionals is probably no longer valid.

If I was in Oz and waiting to come over or thinking about it, I’d sit it out for 3-6 months to get a better idea. We’re in completely uncharted waters here and no one knows how long this mess will take to stabilise.

Last edited by Kenny; 13th Mar 2020 at 17:30.
Kenny is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2020, 02:13
  #1353 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 161
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny
Plotplot,

A bit more info for you.

Delta are parking 300 aircraft. A schedule reduction of 40%
AA are parking the remaining 757/767 aircraft.
UAL management have said that they see this as worse than 9/11 and planning for a worst case of 18 months for loads to return pre COVID-19 levels.
No plans as yet for parking aircraft at UAL but it won’t be a surprise if the older P&W 75’s are parked.

I need to check it out but there may well be a flow-back clause in the UAL contract, which would mean that if UAL pilots are furloughed, they can go to express carriers. Again, I’m not sure but I received an email form UAL ALPA a few days ago and this was mentioned.

There is unlikely to be any hiring at UAL, DAL or AA for the rest of the year. My personal opinion but not unlikely. Any retirements will simply offset the need to furlough. So the forecast need and attrition at the regionals is probably no longer valid.

If I was in Oz and waiting to come over or thinking about it, I’d sit it out for 3-6 months to get a better idea. We’re in completely uncharted waters here and no one knows how long this mess will take to stabilise.
Crazy times... just heard from a mate still in the US that GoJet are looking like they are heading the way of Compass and are just about to lose all Delta flying significantly earlier than planned and one of their bases as well, Furloughs expected any day. And Compass who furloughed 300 crew yesterday apparently, TSA who will be lucky to survive til May and word is Mesa may cut back pilots soon after losing a large amount of their flying. So sad to see things have gone from jobs for everyone to lucky to have a job by the end of the week.

You are spot on, 3-6 months is a good bet. It really is a terrible time to be sitting at the bottom of any seniority list right now in the US - or anywhere really. There is going to be some painful times for some of us Aussies who are still in the US in the coming weeks. I would expect when this bloodshed is over there will only be a handful of regionals left.

Hoping for the best for all of you, the stress this virus is causing staff in the industry is unbearable.
LostWanderer is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2020, 02:50
  #1354 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In the soup
Posts: 215
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Just to correct one of Kenny's points, there is no "flow back" for mainline UA pilots, as there is no flow. Some regionals, like CommutAir, allow pilots that leave to come back within 3 months and keep their seniority, but as every UA Express carrier is its own entity, there is no provision for mainline UA to displace Express pilots.

American is a different kettle of fish, as they do have a dedicated flow program, which works in both directions if necessary.

Commutair is still recruiting and expanding, albeit at a slower pace.
DropYourSocks is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2020, 03:57
  #1355 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plotplot
Apex, im just wondering what it is that you are basing your decision to move home so hastily? Whereabouts are you on the timeline e.g. in training, line holder etc. Any judgment aside I'm genuinely curious as someone going through the E3 process getting ready to go over shortly. And curious how you have planned your move. Do you have a job lined up back in Aus or are you leaving a job with potential uncertainty and coming back to guaranteed uncertainty?

My understanding is that even if XJT were able to hire their targeted 840 pilots for the year, there was still going to be a net loss of a couple hundred pilots by the year's end. This will obviously change as all the mainline carriers freeze hiring across the board and slow attrition, but there was still a lot of retirements and the fact that we're 3 months into the year and they are nowhere near on track to hire their targeted 840. Combine this with the 30 jets they have parked and the 36 they're about to acquire, it's difficult to imagine that anyone will be given the boot so swiftly. Been doing a lot of research and the regionals tend to fair better than the mainlines in times of crises. XJT furloughed pilots in 2008 due financial issues related to oil prices, unrelated to any global crisis. Skywest have never furloughed, just as a couple of examples.

I may just be trying to sell myself on the idea that it will still be ok to go, but just very curious on your decision making process given that you're making the significant decision to leave and come home.
PlotPlot, it's not a hasty decision, but unfortunately a forced one. I am one of the pilots at TSA so I was going to be out of job by the end of the year however a memo was sent out yesterday that due to the reduction in United flying there will not be as much need for regional flying and as such I'd be surprised if TSA is around by May/June.

As for why I am not going to other companies:
CommutAir - $22k sign on bonus which is nice however only have EWR and IAH as bases. I have no interest in living in either of those places and I really don't want to commute.
ExpressJet - Basically have put hiring on hold, will have to retrain all 175 pilots on the 145 slowing training significantly, also reserve times are going to blow out to 12 months or more. I think you may be being very optimistic with your XJT outlook.
Mesa - Not hiring E3's at the moment it seems, no one can get a hold of anyone in recruiting.
GoJet - About to start cancelling FO classes and beginning to furlough pilots.
Skywest - Not hiring Aussies on E3's, only those currently at TSA.

On top of all this United have reduced all their regional flying by at least 25%, Delta by 40%, pilots are not moving on because no one is hiring so you won't move up seniority very quickly at all. Earning a $35k per year salary as an FO with very little in the way of bonuses, not much flying and a high chance of being furloughed if you're at the bottom of the seniority list, doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Perhaps I get a job in Aus and perhaps I don't but even if I don't, I'm going to be in Aus where I get free health care and can do any job, i'm not just limited to one company like you are with an E3. It's just a big risk at the moment to go over there, especially if you're leaving a stable job in Aus.

For those willing to take that risk, they will be in a good spot when this does all blow over in 6-18 months because they would be on the seniority list - kudos to you. I just can't afford to be out of a job for an extended period and I don't want to be stuck in the US when that does happen.
AP3XS is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2020, 04:09
  #1356 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Location
Posts: 67
Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AP3XS
PlotPlot, it's not a hasty decision, but unfortunately a forced one. I am one of the pilots at TSA so I was going to be out of job by the end of the year however a memo was sent out yesterday that due to the reduction in United flying there will not be as much need for regional flying and as such I'd be surprised if TSA is around by May/June.

As for why I am not going to other companies:
CommutAir - $22k sign on bonus which is nice however only have EWR and IAH as bases. I have no interest in living in either of those places and I really don't want to commute.
ExpressJet - Basically have put hiring on hold, will have to retrain all 175 pilots on the 145 slowing training significantly, also reserve times are going to blow out to 12 months or more. I think you may be being very optimistic with your XJT outlook.
Mesa - Not hiring E3's at the moment it seems, no one can get a hold of anyone in recruiting.
GoJet - About to start cancelling FO classes and beginning to furlough pilots.
Skywest - Not hiring Aussies on E3's, only those currently at TSA.

On top of all this United have reduced all their regional flying by at least 25%, Delta by 40%, pilots are not moving on because no one is hiring so you won't move up seniority very quickly at all. Earning a $35k per year salary as an FO with very little in the way of bonuses, not much flying and a high chance of being furloughed if you're at the bottom of the seniority list, doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Perhaps I get a job in Aus and perhaps I don't but even if I don't, I'm going to be in Aus where I get free health care and can do any job, i'm not just limited to one company like you are with an E3. It's just a big risk at the moment to go over there, especially if you're leaving a stable job in Aus.

For those willing to take that risk, they will be in a good spot when this does all blow over in 6-18 months because they would be on the seniority list - kudos to you. I just can't afford to be out of a job for an extended period and I don't want to be stuck in the US when that does happen.
Very sorry to hear that you were among the unlucky group at TSA. Such a horrible corner to be backed into and I wouldn't wish that on anybody. And yes I agree I was looking through some rose-tinted glasses there regarding movement. Definitely staying put where I am for the moment and see what happens in 6-12 months, though my best guess at this point is nothing good. Best of luck to you and to anyone that decides to take the risk.
plotplot is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2020, 05:47
  #1357 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US via Oz, Honkers & Blighty.
Posts: 375
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DropYourSocks
Just to correct one of Kenny's points, there is no "flow back" for mainline UA pilots, as there is no flow. Some regionals, like CommutAir, allow pilots that leave to come back within 3 months and keep their seniority, but as every UA Express carrier is its own entity, there is no provision for mainline UA to displace Express pilots.

American is a different kettle of fish, as they do have a dedicated flow program, which works in both directions if necessary.

Commutair is still recruiting and expanding, albeit at a slower pace.
Not so fast, mate. Firstly, there doesn’t need to be flow, for a flow down. Gojets had an agreement with UAL for furloughee’s to slot right in as Captains, at one point when UAL furloughed in the noughties. I wasn’t necessarily talking about displacing current Express pilots

And secondly, as I did say I wasn’t sure but here you go, straight from the UAL contract.
  1. LOA 12-09 United Express Job Opportunities for Furloughed United Pilots
This LOA requires express carriers operating 70/76 seat jets to offer new hire jobs at second year pay to furloughed mainline pilots
Kenny is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2020, 05:57
  #1358 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 465
Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny
Not so fast, mate. Firstly, there doesn’t need to be flow, for a flow down. Gojets had an agreement with UAL for furloughee’s to slot right in as Captains, at one point when UAL furloughed in the noughties. I wasn’t necessarily talking about displacing current Express pilots

And secondly, as I did say I wasn’t sure but here you go, straight from the UAL contract.
  1. LOA 12-09 United Express Job Opportunities for Furloughed United Pilots
This LOA requires express carriers operating 70/76 seat jets to offer new hire jobs at second year pay to furloughed mainline pilots
Aren’t the only UAX E170/175 carrier now Skywest and Mesa? The rest have 50 seaters. At the very least EJT and AWAC are safe from this clause.
havick is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2020, 06:04
  #1359 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US via Oz, Honkers & Blighty.
Posts: 375
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Not sure, didn’t think i was going to have to think about it. Don’t Gojets have the 70 seat CRJ?
Kenny is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2020, 08:30
  #1360 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne
Age: 35
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks mate. Any idea which regional (currently), E3 applicants can go direct on 175's?
Alex3008 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.