Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Old 6th Apr 2023, 23:04
  #2821 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 441
Likes: 0
Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny
Double edged sword, though. That experience is only worth it with the right attitude. Given the Australian propensity to be incapable of not letting everyone how much they know, Iíll take the Regional RJ new hires Iím currently training on the 777 at UAL, over some Oztranaught checkie with a chip on his shoulder.
Have to agree with Kenny on this one.
havick is online now  
The following users liked this post:
Old 7th Apr 2023, 00:09
  #2822 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eden Valley
Posts: 2,099
Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts
Hang on. We all should be averse to Oztronauts but they arenít typical of the Australians I know venturing Stateside.

I often thought it a mental illness when and Australian pilot, say out of a low cost Aussie, pay for your job outfit, starts throwing their opinions about in brash fashion.
Gnadenburg is offline  
The following 4 users liked this post by Gnadenburg:
Old 7th Apr 2023, 00:31
  #2823 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 441
Likes: 0
Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnadenburg
Hang on. We all should be averse to Oztronauts but they arenít typical of the Australians I know venturing Stateside.

I often thought it a mental illness when and Australian pilot, say out of a low cost Aussie, pay for your job outfit, starts throwing their opinions about in brash fashion.
Lets step back a minute and reflect upon the fact that US airlines and other operators donít particularly care as much about how much time a person has in X type, or C/T experience etc.

Literally anyone with a pulse right now can get into just about any legacy carrier.
havick is online now  
Old 7th Apr 2023, 21:36
  #2824 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,249
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by havick
Lets step back a minute and reflect upon the fact that US airlines and other operators don’t particularly care as much about how much time a person has in X type...
From my observations, that seems to be a difficult fact to get across to people outside the USA. When a person goes to work for a US carrier, he'll go through a school on a particular type as if he'd never set foot in one...even if he has thousands of hours as PIC/check airman/sim instructor in that same airplane.

The previous experience might get one hired but not shortcut the training process/program once he gets on the payroll.

And once out of school, it's SENIORITY...SENIORITY...SENIORITY for literally everything else that comes with the job.

And that is also a very difficult concept to get through to people.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2023, 23:25
  #2825 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Posts: 4,756
Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
From my observations, that seems to be a difficult fact to get across to people outside the USA. When a person goes to work for a US carrier, he'll go through a school on a particular type as if he'd never set foot in one...even if he has thousands of hours as PIC/check airman/sim instructor in that same airplane.

The previous experience might get one hired but not shortcut the training process/program once he gets on the payroll.

And once out of school, it's SENIORITY...SENIORITY...SENIORITY for literally everything else that comes with the job.

And that is also a very difficult concept to get through to people.
To be fair, it's often equally difficult to convince Americans other places work differently!
Wizofoz is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2023, 23:49
  #2826 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,249
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wizofoz
To be fair, it's often equally difficult to convince Americans other places work differently!

wiz,

We're aware there are other systems. I was merely commenting on how those from non-US systems seem to puzzle about ours. I make no claim one system is better than another (and feel no need to defend ours). But since there seem to be quite a few people trying to get over here, I thought I'd try to clear up the confusion.
bafanguy is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by bafanguy:
Old 8th Apr 2023, 21:49
  #2827 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wellington
Age: 38
Posts: 62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone had success with a EB2 visa? apparently its the "go to" visa now
Jbrownie is offline  
Old 8th Apr 2023, 23:01
  #2828 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So where did everyone end up going ? or to quote an Au tourism ad - "So where the bloody hell are you"
Certainly the US of A is probably well subscribed with antipodeans by now...Just curious to note where some went (not looking for an actual headcount)

Atlas - From reading Pprune .....Probably the most significant (I could be wrong)
Spirit - Did a roadshow in multiple Au cities but don't know how many actually turned up for groundschool
Frontier - Still advertising on Airline apps for E3 ....but no takers?
Red Wings - they Were holding late night (Au east coast) early morning online seminars followed by online interviews. (I know of one who accepted but didn't go)
PSA - Phone/skype interviews etc.
Go Jet - Phone/skype interviews etc. (I know of two who accepted but didn't go)
Piedmont - Phone/skype interviews etc.
National Air cargo ??
Kalitta ??

or...due to the large wait times foe the E3 at the various consulates, perhaps found other jobs locally.
wlshwzd is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2023, 00:20
  #2829 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Posts: 4,756
Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
wiz,

We're aware there are other systems. I was merely commenting on how those from non-US systems seem to puzzle about ours. I make no claim one system is better than another (and feel no need to defend ours). But since there seem to be quite a few people trying to get over here, I thought I'd try to clear up the confusion.
Wasn't in any way a dig at you Bafanguy, just an anecdote- I've worked with a lot of US pilots, and quite a few have been astounded that things don't work the same elsewhere as they do in the USA.

Then, to be even FAIRER, I've seen exacttey the same thing with AUSSIE pilots when confronted with the idea things can be different elsewhere.
Wizofoz is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2023, 13:43
  #2830 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,249
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wizofoz
Wasn't in any way a dig at you Bafanguy...

No offense taken...
bafanguy is offline  
Old 10th Apr 2023, 05:45
  #2831 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Annecy
Posts: 84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbrownie
Anyone had success with a EB2 visa? apparently its the "go to" visa now
I haven't, but my wife and I did successfully obtain EB-1 visas (self-filed), and subsequently green cards. This was not aviation related.

The application was extraordinarily complex and time-consuming. The application weighed several pounds. A quick look at the EB-2 requirements suggests that it would be similarly difficult.
Bellthorpe is offline  
Old 10th Apr 2023, 11:00
  #2832 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 135
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
EB2

Originally Posted by Bellthorpe
I haven't, but my wife and I did successfully obtain EB-1 visas (self-filed), and subsequently green cards. This was not aviation related.

The application was extraordinarily complex and time-consuming. The application weighed several pounds. A quick look at the EB-2 requirements suggests that it would be similarly difficult.
How long did it take you to get it right before filing and for the green card to be granted? As you said EB2 should b3 quite similar.
TinFoilhat2 is offline  
Old 10th Apr 2023, 12:44
  #2833 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NZ
Posts: 69
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TF2 - Each individual case is different. After your initial application is lodged with USCIS you should receive a response within 4 months, but that is not when the they issue you with a green card. There is an immigration lawyer registered here on this website. I suggest you ask him if you have any questions about it and he can give you answers specific to your situation
SIDS N STARS is offline  
Old 11th Apr 2023, 02:52
  #2834 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In the soup
Posts: 205
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SIDS N STARS
TF2 - Each individual case is different. After your initial application is lodged with USCIS you should receive a response within 4 months, but that is not when the they issue you with a green card. There is an immigration lawyer registered here on this website. I suggest you ask him if you have any questions about it and he can give you answers specific to your situation
Out of curiosity, who is this immigration lawyer?
DropYourSocks is offline  
Old 11th Apr 2023, 07:31
  #2835 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wellington
Age: 38
Posts: 62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few of my mates are getting into US mainline carriers with the EB2. 5 years renewable, able to apply for green card. FAA license not required. From the website the requirements dont seem to complicated.
https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the...ViaGuQDYDazkmU
Jbrownie is offline  
Old 11th Apr 2023, 07:35
  #2836 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,249
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbrownie
A few of my mates are getting into US mainline carriers with the EB2. 5 years renewable, able to apply for green card. FAA license not required.
Jbrownie,

Are you able to reveal which carriers those are ? And I assume your friends are from New Zealand ?

Last edited by bafanguy; 11th Apr 2023 at 12:43.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 11th Apr 2023, 09:39
  #2837 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Annecy
Posts: 84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TinFoilhat2
How long did it take you to get it right before filing and for the green card to be granted? As you said EB2 should b3 quite similar.
If I recall correctly we took about six months of preparation. We paid for expedited processing, which meant that a response was required in 14 days. We were successful. No USCIS interview. Self sponsored, so no employer involvement.

We applied for green cards ('adjustment of status') at the same time as our EB-1 visas. It took three months to approval. I don't know if you can do that with EB-2.

Good luck !
Bellthorpe is offline  
Old 11th Apr 2023, 13:39
  #2838 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Doomadgee
Posts: 258
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
For info -
If you are going for your Green Card and are currently flying on international ops, you are unable to leave the US while they are processing you. One of my mates has be restricted to domestic ops only for the past 9 months.
Capn Rex Havoc is online now  
Old 11th Apr 2023, 22:18
  #2839 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wellington
Age: 38
Posts: 62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American has taken a few of them on. I dont believe you have to take a E3 visa. Some brazilians and kiwis
Jbrownie is offline  
Old 11th Apr 2023, 22:26
  #2840 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,249
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbrownie
American has taken a few of them on. Some brazilians and kiwis
Wow...so mainline American Airlines and not their wholly-owned regionals ?

I'm surprised that hasn't gotten more public attention. It's a bit of a seismic shift in events when a US legacy carrier takes time-limited visa holders.
bafanguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.