Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

NATS interview process

ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

NATS interview process

Old 12th Oct 2018, 07:35
  #10761 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor Hannant
There isn't really anything you can do for FEAST and DART - don't be tempted to pay for phone apps etc. The best advice I can give is read the instructions carefully and don't start the tests themselves until you're happy that you understand the instructions.
Yeah I second this - all I did to prep for Stage 2 was play some of the games on their website and completed sudoku on the train to work to keep my logical reasoning sharp. And then on the day I just did prep specific to me, so I know I need to sleep and eat properly to be at my best, I took a lucozade in case I could feel myself getting tired by the tests etc. Honestly I think the apps/programs arenít worth it.

As for Stage 3, on the day youíre specifically told not to share any info on social media otherwise youíll be in trouble. So all I can really do is share the prep I did.

I had two real interviews for other roles in my current field, one of which I had no intention of taking at all regardless of the outcome, in order to get me back into the swing of things as I knew my interview skills would be rusty. I also asked my poor boyfriend to interview me a couple of times too!

I visited my local airport with FISOs rather than ATCOs (so not a NATS airport), the set up is paired back but still useful. I learnt the material we needed to learn by creating flash cards as I know they work for me.

My approach has always been, if you think youíre prepared enough, keep preparing. It works for me and gives me confidence but honestly everyone is different so itís about doing what will keep you at your best.

Last edited by Lemonair; 12th Oct 2018 at 08:00.
Lemonair is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2018, 12:51
  #10762 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Exeter
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm booked in for Stage 2 at CTC on the 22nd Oct. Anyone else? Very nervous, been wanting this since I was about 5...
Alias M is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2018, 18:20
  #10763 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was accepted through to Stage 3 having just sat the Stage 2 computer tests today (Friday 12th October). Five out of twelve in our group went through to the DART test in the afternoon. Did anyone else from today get through?
geoffedinburgher is offline  
Old 13th Oct 2018, 08:50
  #10764 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Devon
Age: 23
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffedinburgher
I was accepted through to Stage 3 having just sat the Stage 2 computer tests today (Friday 12th October). Five out of twelve in our group went through to the DART test in the afternoon. Did anyone else from today get through?
Congratulations I was sat next to you and I've been accepted to stage 3 as well! Do you know when you're aiming to do stage 3? At the moment I don't have any options for dates so I suppose we'll just have to wait for more to be added.
leclerc16 is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2018, 06:42
  #10765 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys, any of you who have recently done the stage 2 testing, I would really like to hear from! Just a few questions. Shoot me an email at [email protected]
Thanks!
simba090 is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2018, 09:24
  #10766 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Spain
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your answers Trevor Hannant and Lemonair!

Hopefully I will do well in stage 2 and get through to stage 3! Fingers crossed!
AndreaCass is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2018, 15:05
  #10767 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leclerc16
Congratulations I was sat next to you and I've been accepted to stage 3 as well! Do you know when you're aiming to do stage 3? At the moment I don't have any options for dates so I suppose we'll just have to wait for more to be added.
​​​​​​Congratulations to you too! I have booked stage 3 for November 1st. I'm sure more dates will be released soon. I am eager to get it over and done with so I could start in January/February. How about you?
geoffedinburgher is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2018, 15:09
  #10768 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

Can anyone who has got through to the end stage 2 recently advise me on what time the day finished? I know it says 5pm on the invite but from what I've read it is usually quite a bit before then. Just looking at booking trains to the airport/ flight home (I've assume 5pm finish but that leaves me with a lot of running to do!).
RadHead is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2018, 15:12
  #10769 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simba090
Hi guys, any of you who have recently done the stage 2 testing, I would really like to hear from! Just a few questions. Shoot me an email at [email protected]
Thanks!
Stage 2 is basically as it says on the website. Learn the booklet as much as you can for the first test. There are questions on almost every section. For the computer tests, it's mainly down to aptitude but you could practice IQ test type questions i guess. I had a good go at the games on the NATS website which help a little for FEAST and more for DART.
geoffedinburgher is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2018, 15:18
  #10770 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RadHead
Hi all,

Can anyone who has got through to the end stage 2 recently advise me on what time the day finished? I know it says 5pm on the invite but from what I've read it is usually quite a bit before then. Just looking at booking trains to the airport/ flight home (I've assume 5pm finish but that leaves me with a lot of running to do!).
We finished the day by 3.30pm. I was on a train at 4.30pm from Swanwick. It does depend on how quickly the others in the group finish the tests though. Both in the morning and the afternoon you have to wait til everyone finishes the computer tests. If I had taken my time more I could have added maybe 30 mins to the day, for example. Hope that helps
geoffedinburgher is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2018, 16:01
  #10771 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Devon
Age: 23
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffedinburgher
​​​​​​Congratulations to you too! I have booked stage 3 for November 1st. I'm sure more dates will be released soon. I am eager to get it over and done with so I could start in January/February. How about you?
Can you clear your inbox so I can reply to your pm?

**might be easier if you pm me your email?

Last edited by leclerc16; 15th Oct 2018 at 18:27. Reason: Spelling
leclerc16 is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2018, 18:38
  #10772 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Devon
Age: 23
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias M
I'm booked in for Stage 2 at CTC on the 22nd Oct. Anyone else? Very nervous, been wanting this since I was about 5...
Good luck! Nice to see someone else applying from Devon
leclerc16 is offline  
Old 16th Oct 2018, 09:13
  #10773 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffedinburgher
We finished the day by 3.30pm. I was on a train at 4.30pm from Swanwick. It does depend on how quickly the others in the group finish the tests though. Both in the morning and the afternoon you have to wait til everyone finishes the computer tests. If I had taken my time more I could have added maybe 30 mins to the day, for example. Hope that helps
Ahh that's great thank you!
RadHead is offline  
Old 16th Oct 2018, 10:57
  #10774 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Southampton
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arg1203
I know this thread is about the interview process but just wondered if anyone has any suggestions on best places to live whilst at the college? Been trawling online and not a fan of places in Whiteley/Fareham so far. Seen quite a few nice places in Portsmouth - is this close enough or will traffic be an issue? I've heard bad things about the M27??? I live in a small-ish city just now and traffic has never been a big issue for me, so don't want to find myself sat in traffic for hours per week!

I live in suburbs of Southampton - my personal experience is that the M27 can be pretty hellish, I tend to avoid it where possible anywhere around rush hour. It can sometimes be slow around rush hours but if there's an accident (which happens too regularly for my liking) then you can be a bit stuck. Depends whether you want to deal with that, otherwise I'd suggest looking closer to CTC or even Burseldon / Swanick direction. I personally wouldnt want to commute from central Portsmouth if i had the option of somewhere closer but it's your choice! The hours currently at college are 8-4 so that will help a little with the traffic.
Boa06 is offline  
Old 16th Oct 2018, 12:11
  #10775 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Manchester
Age: 35
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else from yesterday's (15th of oct) stage 2 get their email yet? I passed, so now I get to join the wait for stage 3 spots to open
Nicthecanadian is offline  
Old 16th Oct 2018, 19:14
  #10776 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Down South
Posts: 299
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boa06
I live in suburbs of Southampton - my personal experience is that the M27 can be pretty hellish, I tend to avoid it where possible anywhere around rush hour. It can sometimes be slow around rush hours but if there's an accident (which happens too regularly for my liking) then you can be a bit stuck. Depends whether you want to deal with that, otherwise I'd suggest looking closer to CTC or even Burseldon / Swanick direction. I personally wouldnt want to commute from central Portsmouth if i had the option of somewhere closer but it's your choice! The hours currently at college are 8-4 so that will help a little with the traffic.
Leaving CTC/Whiteley at 4 is hellish. It's already jammed up by then, likewise at 8 in the morning. It's queueing before 7.30 in the mornings - that's been my experience on the few times I've needed to be there for day shifts
The Many Tentacles is offline  
Old 17th Oct 2018, 09:17
  #10777 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffedinburgher
​​​​​​Congratulations to you too! I have booked stage 3 for November 1st. I'm sure more dates will be released soon. I am eager to get it over and done with so I could start in January/February. How about you?
I have my stage 3 booked for November 1st too, as well as another guy from my stage 2 day- will probably see you there!
TTTom is offline  
Old 17th Oct 2018, 22:01
  #10778 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Devon
Age: 23
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booked my stage 3 for November 19th (No email from NATS saying they had availability so if you're waiting for a slot keep refreshing that link, I just checked on the off chance they'd have something). Good luck to everyone with whatever stage you're on currently and let me know if I'll see you there
leclerc16 is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2018, 08:55
  #10779 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all. I've got my Stage 2 on Monday (22nd October). I was originally not hopeful but after reading about it (here and elsewhere) I think I'll be disappointed if I don't get through to at least take the DART in the afternoon. Anything can happen from there, I guess. See some of you on Monday!
zucchini is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2018, 17:34
  #10780 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Carlisle
Age: 37
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys
I'm new here. Well, I joined a few years ago but haven't been active for a while.
First of all, congratulations to all of you who passed any of the stages. I passed Stage 2 about a month ago and a few days ago booked Stage 3 at Prestwick on 6th December. Is anyone going there?
Niki86 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.