Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

NATS interview process

ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

NATS interview process

Old 23rd Aug 2018, 18:17
  #10661 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its okay. Got the email to say I passed stage 0. I was worried about the verbal part because english is not my first language!
Princeofpersia is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2018, 14:48
  #10662 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nats experience controller

Is the interview procedure same for experienced controller as well
sandy66 is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2018, 05:32
  #10663 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Thessaloniki
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LyanRewis
Just been called and was told I was successful! Over the moon and booked on to the course starting in Feb at Jerez (as long as medical and security clearance is fine!) Really wasn't expecting to be told so quickly!
hey man, congrats.....i was just informed that i am also on for the date february at jerez. Do u know any forum for the guys that study there??
babis is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2018, 10:27
  #10664 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sandbach
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
February Jerez

Received an email yesterday, was originally told Iíd start in Jerez in January but itís been pushed back to February.

Someone with the wizardry should start one of them group chat things up. I donít even have Facebook haha but sort it on WhatsApp I think?
Richjonesy is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2018, 20:16
  #10665 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been a creeping lurker for a while on this forum. I have my stage 2 test in September and just wanted to say hello to all the hopefuls in my shoes, and well done to all those whose shoes I one day hope to be in!
Fortunatalie is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2018, 23:21
  #10666 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fortunatalie
I have been a creeping lurker for a while on this forum. I have my stage 2 test in September and just wanted to say hello to all the hopefuls in my shoes, and well done to all those whose shoes I one day hope to be in!
welcome to the forum. I have been lurking on this forum too. Wish you all the best next month.
Princeofpersia is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2018, 05:31
  #10667 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Thessaloniki
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Venyx
Congrats- it is nice having a firm date now isn't it!

Am I wrong in thinking we will have a Facebook page set up to chat before starting...?
Hi, any insight from jerez for us starting on february?? Please share information or a group if you have one
babis is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2018, 05:32
  #10668 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Thessaloniki
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stupotk
Hi mashman,

I have also been given this course.
I was told they have courses in Whiteley/Coventry in the coming months so itís completely voluntary to do a course in Jerez.

Personally, Jerez suits me better due to accommodation and food being provided - less expenses during the initial training!

Maybe see you in June!

Stu
any news form jerez ?? Please share info from there
babis is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2018, 08:35
  #10669 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Princeofpersia
welcome to the forum. I have been lurking on this forum too. Wish you all the best next month.
Thanks! I see you're from sunny Glasgow too. What stage in the process are you at yourself?
Fortunatalie is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2018, 11:52
  #10670 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Manchester
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerez - FEB 2019

Hi Everyone,

I would just like to start by saying that this forum has been great whilst I was going through the application process at NATS. If you haven't already guessed I've been lucky enough to be offered at place at FTE Jerez in Spain starting Feb 2019. I just felt like since I've gained so much off this thread, I thought I'd give details of my experience for those currently going through the process or thinking about it.

My application started at the very end of last year when I sat Stage 0 online, now this was a long time ago and I don't remember much except it was a fairly standard aptitude test. A few days later I got sent a link for Stage 1 (online), similarly in my opinion a slightly more advanced aptitude test (again, this was a longggg time ago) - something to note is that they give you quite a strict time constraint by which you need to complete the next stage.
N.B. The links expire if you begin and leave, you then can't go back to the test.

I think again it was only a few days after that I received an email saying I was successful and to get myself booked onto Stage 2. I booked in for around mid-feb, this stage is based in CTC Whitley. Before arriving you are expected to study a booklet that they give you on air traffic control, nothing too daunting, don't worry! The day begins at 08:00 if I recall correctly, first test being a multiple questionnaire on the booklet. Then straight onto the FEAST test, this was a few hours, then a short break. I strongly advise you take a packed lunch, I took cash expecting some sort of shop but all there was were vending machines. Finally, the DART test and then home, can't remember what time the day finished - apologies.

Another email a few days later with a congrats and a link to book onto Stage 3, these are now based at several places; Swanwick or Prestwick I believe. I waited and booked mine for the end of August due to university; I always stayed at The Solent when I travelled down, its a five min. walk to CTC. I was told to arrive at 10:30 for my interview and I was finished by 12:30. Unbelievably I received a phone call the next day saying I would start a course in Feb 2019 in Jerez!* Over the moon!

*This is based on passing security and medical...

So, that was my experience I thoroughly enjoyed the process and wish anyone els the best of luck!
AQ121253 is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2018, 14:11
  #10671 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just failed the stage 1 tests because of unnecessary stress tbh. Will yhere be an opportunity for me to try again next year?
Princeofpersia is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2018, 19:25
  #10672 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Moray
Age: 51
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attended CTC for Stage 2 Assessments yesterday. After a 90 minute delay in starting (thanks for the free Costa though!) thanks to an update to FEAST taking the whole thing down, 11 of us eventually got started.

No real nerves, which I was a little surprised at, as we sat in the room. Written paper was fairly straight forward IF you've read the document you're told to read and learn - although make sure you get some Distance/Speed/Time calculations practised also! Onto FEAST itself and thought I'd done OK with the exception of one part which I thought I'd royally screwed up. The nerves only kicked in when the results were brought into the room. However, name not called out which saw a massive wave of relief shoot through...

6 of us then left to do FEAST-DART. Felt OK until the final of the 6 tests here. Again, really thought I'd screwed it up when I realise I'd read instructions for one element of the final test wrong!:

NOTE TO OTHERS - RTFI AND READ THEM AGAIN AND AGAIN!!

Thanks to the delayed start (and someone having an unfortunate "incident" on a rail line somewhere), missed my flight home last night so got myself booked into a hotel. Back into room from brekkie and the wait was over - congratulations email in my inbox telling me to expect a further email to book in for a Stage 3 interview! So much for 15 working days, only just over 15 hours!!

So to those who've left tips, hints and advice - I thank you. For others yet to attend CTC and Stage 2, really really take your time and read the instructions!

Now, where's my last competency based interview notes...
Trevor Hannant is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2018, 08:59
  #10673 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor Hannant
Attended CTC for Stage 2 Assessments yesterday. After a 90 minute delay in starting (thanks for the free Costa though!) thanks to an update to FEAST taking the whole thing down, 11 of us eventually got started.

No real nerves, which I was a little surprised at, as we sat in the room. Written paper was fairly straight forward IF you've read the document you're told to read and learn - although make sure you get some Distance/Speed/Time calculations practised also! Onto FEAST itself and thought I'd done OK with the exception of one part which I thought I'd royally screwed up. The nerves only kicked in when the results were brought into the room. However, name not called out which saw a massive wave of relief shoot through...

6 of us then left to do FEAST-DART. Felt OK until the final of the 6 tests here. Again, really thought I'd screwed it up when I realise I'd read instructions for one element of the final test wrong!:

NOTE TO OTHERS - RTFI AND READ THEM AGAIN AND AGAIN!!

Thanks to the delayed start (and someone having an unfortunate "incident" on a rail line somewhere), missed my flight home last night so got myself booked into a hotel. Back into room from brekkie and the wait was over - congratulations email in my inbox telling me to expect a further email to book in for a Stage 3 interview! So much for 15 working days, only just over 15 hours!!

So to those who've left tips, hints and advice - I thank you. For others yet to attend CTC and Stage 2, really really take your time and read the instructions!

Now, where's my last competency based interview notes...
Well done, Trevor! I'll be taking on board your RTFI instruction...this is usually my downfall as I try to read them too fast to save time.

Good luck with Stage 3!
Fortunatalie is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2018, 20:45
  #10674 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Moray
Age: 51
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fortunatalie
Well done, Trevor! I'll be taking on board your RTFI instruction...this is usually my downfall as I try to read them too fast to save time.

Good luck with Stage 3!
Thanks Natalie!

There's a good amount of time with the last one so taking an extra few minutes won't do you any harm at all. Obviously can't say what you need to be careful of however reading and understanding the instructions for Part 6 of DART will save an awful lot of trauma/worry...
Trevor Hannant is offline  
Old 6th Sep 2018, 16:30
  #10675 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone, I sat the Stage 2 last week and I was just wondering if anyone else had too and if they'd heard if they were successful or not yet? I passed FEAST but DART was an absolute nightmare for me so I'm not expecting to pass but I wasn't actually expecting to pass FEAST so you never know...!
natswannabe is offline  
Old 6th Sep 2018, 21:33
  #10676 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the Stage 3 interviews now being conducted in Prestwick as well as at CTC (and possibly Belfast I believe), I have heard that interviewees did not have to do the final Eurocontrol Computer based assessment to keep a level playing field as this can only be done at CTC and not Prestwick.
Does anyone know if this decision is being applied across all Stage 3s now, even if on certain days the only Stage 3s being conducted are at CTC?
chips1 is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2018, 07:28
  #10677 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what I was told at the end of my stage 2 in July at the CTC, got my stage 3 with them in October.
Lemonair is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2018, 09:51
  #10678 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was also at stage 2 in July and was told there would be no Eurocontrol assessment. I've got stage 3 at Prestwick in October.
Arg1203 is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2018, 10:00
  #10679 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Moray
Age: 51
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by natswannabe
Hey everyone, I sat the Stage 2 last week and I was just wondering if anyone else had too and if they'd heard if they were successful or not yet? I passed FEAST but DART was an absolute nightmare for me so I'm not expecting to pass but I wasn't actually expecting to pass FEAST so you never know...!
What day/date were you at CTC?
Trevor Hannant is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2018, 11:12
  #10680 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London
Posts: 70
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all. I failed the DART test on my Stage 2 some time back; does anyone know the current situation regarding re-applying? It used to be a 2 year wait.
Flamin_Squirrel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.