Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

NATS interview process

ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

NATS interview process

Old 25th Jul 2018, 20:59
  #10621 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Scotland
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Venyx


hey guys,

your basic will be 6 weeks out here. Well, exams in the 6th week. Then you have a couple of weeks of sims, a break, then you go in to the specialisation. You finish in Spain with a Spanish student licence (but you donít need to speak Spanish...!) then when you go back to the UK you have a conversion course at CTC before going to unit.

5 months of basic would be soul destroying!

Look forward to to meeting you guys in October.
Useful information, thanks for that!
DistinctlyPlain is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2018, 10:48
  #10622 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: London
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 2

Hi everyone!
I just registered here.

I took the FEAST and DART tests last 7th June.
I passed FEAST, with other 2 our of 5 people there, but, after 2 weeks of long waiting, I was notified I did not pass DART.

All the official information I had was: 'once you have applied, you can not apply again', then I read somewhere that you can apply after 2 years, and they I just read again that is 12 months. Someone can clarify this? I understand that whenever I apply again, I should retake FEAST again too even if I passed this time, am I right?

And what about applying in other companies/countries? Can I apply now lets say in Ireland if I just failed the DART test in NATS?

Anyone can help?

Thank you!
ChrisF87 is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2018, 11:46
  #10623 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: West Yorkshire
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisF87
Hi everyone!
I just registered here.

I took the FEAST and DART tests last 7th June.
I passed FEAST, with other 2 our of 5 people there, but, after 2 weeks of long waiting, I was notified I did not pass DART.

All the official information I had was: 'once you have applied, you can not apply again', then I read somewhere that you can apply after 2 years, and they I just read again that is 12 months. Someone can clarify this? I understand that whenever I apply again, I should retake FEAST again too even if I passed this time, am I right?

And what about applying in other companies/countries? Can I apply now lets say in Ireland if I just failed the DART test in NATS?

Anyone can help?

Thank you!
From my understanding, you have to still go through FEAST and DART (or their equivalents) whenever you apply to any ANSP - even if you passed FEAST I previously. What is confusing is that those particular tests are tied to your personal information, so I'm not quite sure exactly how it all works. Perhaps you can only take FEAST once a year? Some ANSPs don't use the Eurocontrol standardised tests, but it would be difficult to find those ANSPs in Europe.

But with regards to NATS, HR told me at my stage 3 that it is now every 12 months.
Prototoes is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2018, 11:19
  #10624 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Southampton
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Received the dreaded email yesterday saying I was unsuccessful at stage 3 interviews, so much preparation but it was not to be. Sent a reply to nats thanking them for the opportunity, I think that was the right thing to do. Good luck with everyone who has yet to hear back or who is yet to go through the process
Caged_phoenix is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2018, 04:20
  #10625 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenATC
Hi TaelS,

Yes it's now been over one month since I did my Stage 3. We were told we'd hear back within 15 days yet nothing so far.

I emailed HR one week ago; it was the same person I had contact with previously and it was their direct work email address rather than an [email protected] for example.

Bizarre and a little disappointing really. It takes a lot of effort and commitment to prepare and actually get down to the interviews and for them to not reply within their own 15 working day timeframe is somewhat unprofessional, particularly after sending a follow-up email.

Mickmac2018 - I can empathise with you! No idea how they haven't responded to you. I did my Stage 2 in May and heard within 5 days. Something isn't quite right within NATS' recruitment.

Timpsi - I'm with you, man.

Cheers,

GreenATC

UPDATE: Received a phone call to tell me that they had a problem with their computers or something and they are going through the applications again. They said that is why no-one has apparently heard anything. But good news, I've been given a conditional offer

Congratulations on the offer mate. Without wanting to pry too much, what do you mean by conditional offer? They want you to meet certain criteria? Sounds more like what you'd expect when applying for university.

I passed the Stage 2 assessments in July, unfortunately I was unable to book any of the Stage 3 dates as they clashed with me working away, but I am checking daily & hoping new Stage 3 dates will be released soon.

Well done to everyone else who has passed and received the course details.
chips1 is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2018, 09:12
  #10626 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: London
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys, I hope you're all doing well. This is my first post here, I've been reading your replies for a couple of weeks, they helped me understand the process.

I have a few questions for those who passed stages 0 and 1. So, I first applied for the TATC position a week ago. When they accepted my application they sent me the links to stages 0 and 1 by email. But when I passed stage 1 , The email I received is very short and is text only , doesn't contain any links or attached documents. It says : Congratulations on passing our Stage 1 Online Assessments! The next stage of the process will be to attend a Stage 2 Assessment Day at our Head Office in Fareham, Hampshire. We will send you an invitation to self-register onto an available date very shortly, please book in as soon as possible.

That's all it contains, and this was about 5 days ago. I am wondering how long it will take them to send me the invitation to self-register for stage 2.

And I know that stage 2 will be a combination of ATC knowledge, FEAST and DART. But this email I received doesn't mention anything about a study pack being sent to me nor any other information. I'm sure it's nothing but I'm a bit worried.

Can someone who went through this fairly recently share their experiences with me please ?

Also any advice regarding FEAST and DART would be really appreciated, there isn't too much info on how NATS does it out there.

Thanks for your help guys!!
riadh199 is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2018, 18:49
  #10627 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Scotland
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chips1
Congratulations on the offer mate. Without wanting to pry too much, what do you mean by conditional offer? They want you to meet certain criteria? Sounds more like what you'd expect when applying for university.
The conditional offer means you've passed all the assessments and it now comes down to giving them your references to check, getting your security clearance and passing your medical to obtain the Class 3 certificate.
DistinctlyPlain is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2018, 18:58
  #10628 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Scotland
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arg1203
hi all,

Heading down for Stage 2 tomorrow & got my email confirmation yesterday with a start time of 10am.

I was down for stage 2 down back in 2016 when there was no knowledge test and it had a start time of 8am. Just wondering if the FEAST/DART sessions arenít as long anymore? As now there are 3 parts to the day but in a shorter time period?

Just wondering if anyone knows more?

Also anyone whos been down recently is it pretty much finished by 5pm? I have a flight back to Scotland and hoping I can make it!

Thanks
I had my stage 2 back in February and the 3 parts to the day were all finished by 1330. The person in charge of us for the day basically said that they tell you it'll be finished by 5pm in the event of a fire alarm as that takes a lot of time out of the day because of all the security measures around the building.

For FEAST/DART you have to wait until everyone in your session is finished. In my group I think we all finished FEAST a little early. Chances are you'll be finished by 2pm though.
DistinctlyPlain is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2018, 19:50
  #10629 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DistinctlyPlain
I had my stage 2 back in February and the 3 parts to the day were all finished by 1330. The person in charge of us for the day basically said that they tell you it'll be finished by 5pm in the event of a fire alarm as that takes a lot of time out of the day because of all the security measures around the building.

For FEAST/DART you have to wait until everyone in your session is finished. In my group I think we all finished FEAST a little early. Chances are you'll be finished by 2pm though.

thanks for the reply! I vaguely remember from when I was down the first time that we finished early than the 5pm, just wasnít sure what timings would be like with the later start and extra knowledge test. Should hopefully be fine for my flight home then, providing I make it past the knowledge test/FEAST test again this time round.

In regards to the knowledge test, is there a lot of aircraft specific questions? Not sure if I should spend time knowing these from the booklet if thereís only going to be one question on it type thing?

Thanks for any advice.
Arg1203 is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 11:25
  #10630 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sandbach
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
January Jerez

Has anyone been offered a place in Jerez starting in January?
Richjonesy is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 18:21
  #10631 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been offered a place on the Jerez course in October. I was told it was the last one so I'm hoping there will be a few folk on here that have also been offered this course? Happy to exchange details etc.
scottishstevie is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 19:58
  #10632 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Scotland
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scottishstevie
I've been offered a place on the Jerez course in October. I was told it was the last one so I'm hoping there will be a few folk on here that have also been offered this course? Happy to exchange details etc.
I'm also looking to start in Jerez in October but they never mentioned it was the last one to me.
DistinctlyPlain is offline  
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 13:30
  #10633 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DistinctlyPlain
I'm also looking to start in Jerez in October but they never mentioned it was the last one to me.
I only found out a couple of days ago. If yours was offered before that then thats probably why. Completely over the moon to have been offered a place though, cant wait to get started.
scottishstevie is offline  
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 16:46
  #10634 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Leeds
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted a while back about them giving me a 2nd chance at stage 3...but a year later. So just a lil update for you all on it

Finally got the email through and I'm booked onto the stage 3 interviews in a few weeks time, can't wait for my 2nd chance just hope I ace the interview this time round!
yux5 is offline  
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 17:57
  #10635 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yux5
Posted a while back about them giving me a 2nd chance at stage 3...but a year later. So just a lil update for you all on it

Finally got the email through and I'm booked onto the stage 3 interviews in a few weeks time, can't wait for my 2nd chance just hope I ace the interview this time round!
Congratulations and good luck! Did you go back into the process straight to stage 3 or did they make you start from the beginning?

Last edited by hunteruk; 3rd Aug 2018 at 20:58. Reason: typo
hunteruk is offline  
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 20:37
  #10636 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Leeds
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hunteruk


congratulations and good luck! Step you go back into the process straight to stage 3 or did they make you start from the beginning?
I got to go straight back in at stage 3, they said I would have got it last year but they didn't think I had enough life experience and what not back then so they decided a year would help me develop the right skills to do better in the competency interview.
Just gotta hope I put this last year to good use!
yux5 is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2018, 16:54
  #10637 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yux5
I got to go straight back in at stage 3, they said I would have got it last year but they didn't think I had enough life experience and what not back then so they decided a year would help me develop the right skills to do better in the competency interview.
Just gotta hope I put this last year to good use!
Thatís great, best of luck to you
hunteruk is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2018, 16:55
  #10638 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sweden
Posts: 56
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scottishstevie
I've been offered a place on the Jerez course in October. I was told it was the last one so I'm hoping there will be a few folk on here that have also been offered this course? Happy to exchange details etc.
It's not the last course. Maybe for this year though as I have been offered a course in Jerez starting in January.
Timpsi is offline  
Old 5th Aug 2018, 15:57
  #10639 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody know if the assessment centre days are only held Mon-Fri or do the hold them on Saturdays also?
hunteruk is offline  
Old 6th Aug 2018, 22:35
  #10640 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timpsi
It's not the last course. Maybe for this year though as I have been offered a course in Jerez starting in January.
I think he meant the last place on that course.

Hi all, I've recently received my verbal offer after passing Stage 3. Just awaiting my medical - a 5 week wait unfortunately.

Due to family reasons and having a long notice period for my work I requested to be loaded onto a CTC course. I'm hoping I get loaded onto one at the start of 2019 fiscal or thereabouts.

Slightly envious of everyone heading off to Spain for the first part of their courses, much less time to wait and a bit of an adventure!
pm11 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.