Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

NATS interview process

ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

NATS interview process

Old 31st Jul 2017, 13:38
  #10281 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: southampton
Posts: 214
Originally Posted by whitelighter View Post
Depends - there are some things that might require further investigation, though even in this instance I'd exiect training to be suspended pending the outcome.

If it is a fail on something that can't be mitigated then your training contract would be terminated. No point training someone who could never hold a license.
Not quite. Training is continued as you don't need a medical to do that but you would be removed from the course it proved to be more serious. It is seen as better to continue training and then be removed than have to find a training slot on a later course if the problem is easily mitigated
1985 is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2017, 18:19
  #10282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: High Wycombe
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by aspiringatco93 View Post
Hi! I can't answer your first question as i haven't got that far myself yet but with regards to your second question.. If i remember, the questions on the diagrammatical test can ask you either for the input, operator or output with increasing difficulty.
Hope everything goes well for you when you can reapply!
@aspiringatco93 Thanks for your response

Does anyone know the answer for my 1st question by any chance?

Thanks in advance.
emiliete1990 is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2017, 19:43
  #10283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Kirsteneg View Post
Wow, well I hope I get my medical before November. It would really suck to fail it after you start and get chucked off the course...

All the best anyway!
Hey Kirsten,

I see you're a fellow Scot! I also read that you've been accepted and are due to start with NATS soon - congratulations! I too have applied and I'm awaiting the email to book my assessment day. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also, I read in the email that they send you a pack before the assessment for you to study? Whats this like?

Best wishes,
Jonathan
jonathanhere is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2017, 07:34
  #10284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by jonathanhere View Post
Hey Kirsten,

I see you're a fellow Scot! I also read that you've been accepted and are due to start with NATS soon - congratulations! I too have applied and I'm awaiting the email to book my assessment day. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also, I read in the email that they send you a pack before the assessment for you to study? Whats this like?

Best wishes,
Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks, the waiting to get a starting date/medical sorted seems to be the longest part of the process.

You should receive that email fairly soon. The document is about 30 pages long with various bits of information that you should learn. The motivation test in stage 2 will ask you about anything included in the booklet so learn as much as possible. You will also need to know this booklet for stage 3.

Any other questions feel free to ask, although I can't discuss the tests in much detail. Good luck with your application!
Kirsteneg is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2017, 12:07
  #10285 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Dorset
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by emiliete1990 View Post
2. how is the diagrammatical test? does it ask you for the correct output ALWAYS? or does it ask you for the correct input, operator or output?

Thanks in advance and good luck for those ones taking the assessments soon!
I recently done my stage 2 (and passed). The diagrammatical tests can ask for input, output or process. You have roughly 30s to figure it out. The thing is you have something like 8 lots of 4 questions (2min to do 4 questions). And the operators change on every question. Sometimes it's shapes that affect it, sometimes it's letters. Sometimes it mirrors the shapes, sometimes changes size, or colour.
ns92 is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2017, 16:55
  #10286 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: High Wycombe
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by ns92 View Post
I recently done my stage 2 (and passed). The diagrammatical tests can ask for input, output or process. You have roughly 30s to figure it out. The thing is you have something like 8 lots of 4 questions (2min to do 4 questions). And the operators change on every question. Sometimes it's shapes that affect it, sometimes it's letters. Sometimes it mirrors the shapes, sometimes changes size, or colour.
Hi ns92.

Thanks a lot

So if you have passed stage 2 (the first 2 online tests from home are stages 0 & 1), you must have done the divided attention test, dinamic radar test, planning test..., etc.

Did this stage included the collision avoidance test?

Kind Regards
Emilio
emiliete1990 is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2017, 21:26
  #10287 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Kirsteneg View Post
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks, the waiting to get a starting date/medical sorted seems to be the longest part of the process.

You should receive that email fairly soon. The document is about 30 pages long with various bits of information that you should learn. The motivation test in stage 2 will ask you about anything included in the booklet so learn as much as possible. You will also need to know this booklet for stage 3.

Any other questions feel free to ask, although I can't discuss the tests in much detail. Good luck with your application!
Hi Kirsten,

Thanks for getting back to me - much appreciated.

That's excellent that you're through and just waiting on the start date - wishing you the best of luck for your career!

I do have one other question - how long is the assessment day? Is it a full day? Travelling from Scotland, could I fly down and up on the same day or do you reckon it's more of an overnighter?

Appreciate that the finer details can't be disclosed - wouldn't expect you to reveal anything more than what you already have. Thanks again!

Best wishes,
Jonathan
jonathanhere is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 06:54
  #10288 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by jonathanhere View Post
Hi Kirsten,

Thanks for getting back to me - much appreciated.

That's excellent that you're through and just waiting on the start date - wishing you the best of luck for your career!

I do have one other question - how long is the assessment day? Is it a full day? Travelling from Scotland, could I fly down and up on the same day or do you reckon it's more of an overnighter?

Appreciate that the finer details can't be disclosed - wouldn't expect you to reveal anything more than what you already have. Thanks again!

Best wishes,
Jonathan
There's 3 stages to the assessment day, you have to pass each one to progress to the next. If you fail the first one for example you could be done by 9am. If you get through to the final test you'll likely be finished by 3 pm.

Where in Scotland are you travelling from? I found it was much cheaper to fly to Gatwick and get the train through. The first time I went down my partner and I stayed a couple nights in Southampton to make the most of it. I would say you would have to stay a night but depends when the latest flight out is.
Kirsteneg is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 10:59
  #10289 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Kent
Posts: 2
Advice

Hi,

Only just discovered this thread and I've got my stage 2 next week.

I was just wondering, is the first test a multiple choice or a written answer?

I've googled it and different sites say different things.

Thanks
tom0121 is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 12:20
  #10290 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Dorset
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by emiliete1990 View Post
Hi ns92.

Thanks a lot

So if you have passed stage 2 (the first 2 online tests from home are stages 0 & 1), you must have done the divided attention test, dinamic radar test, planning test..., etc.

Did this stage included the collision avoidance test?

Kind Regards
Emilio
Sorry, facepalm!! I mixed up stage 1 and 2. I passed my stage 1. I forgot that there is a stage 0 whilst I've been waiting for my dates So of no help haha
ns92 is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 15:08
  #10291 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: High Wycombe
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by ns92 View Post
Sorry, facepalm!! I mixed up stage 1 and 2. I passed my stage 1. I forgot that there is a stage 0 whilst I've been waiting for my dates So of no help haha
hahaha ok. no problem

good luck on stage 2!
emiliete1990 is offline  
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 16:19
  #10292 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 15
Hi all,

I'm heading down for stage 3 on September 13th so fingers crossed!

Does anyone know how much emphasis they place on multi-pass? Most of the people overseeing my stage 2 seemed to think it was just a formality as opposed to having much say in the final outcome.

Also what were the interviews like? Is it mainly motivation and competency based or do they dig into the personality questionnaire that much?

Cheers!
Daleboy93 is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2017, 13:36
  #10293 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Torbay
Posts: 5
Help with stage 2!

Originally Posted by Daleboy93 View Post
Hi all,

I'm heading down for stage 3 on September 13th so fingers crossed!

Does anyone know how much emphasis they place on multi-pass? Most of the people overseeing my stage 2 seemed to think it was just a formality as opposed to having much say in the final outcome.

Also what were the interviews like? Is it mainly motivation and competency based or do they dig into the personality questionnaire that much?

Cheers!

Well done for getting to stage 3! I have my stage 2 in a couple of weeks, how did you find it? how much prep did you do?!

I'm actually super nervous for it as I dont know what to expect!
aliceniamh is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2017, 14:23
  #10294 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by aliceniamh View Post
Well done for getting to stage 3! I have my stage 2 in a couple of weeks, how did you find it? how much prep did you do?!

I'm actually super nervous for it as I dont know what to expect!

Congrats It's an intense day!

Just make sure you're really familiar with the booklet. If you know that inside out there will be absolutely no issue.

You really can't practice or prepare for FEAST other than having a go at the games on the website and similar online stuff, just stay focussed and try not to let little mistakes or problems throw you off.

Just get a good rest and try not to get too nervous and I'm sure you'll be fine!
Daleboy93 is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2017, 14:25
  #10295 (permalink)  
Igi
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by aliceniamh View Post
Hey guys!

This thread has been super helpful so far! I got the email to book onto an assessment day this morning!

I've booked onto the 17th August!

Anyone else looking at that one? I'm travelling from Devon so have booked a hotel for the night before!

Other than reading all the information, are there any tips to help pass the other assessments? Read a lot about 'cubes'...is there any where these can be practiced?!

Thank you in advance!
Hey aliceniamh,

I've done my stages 0&1 last week and just booked stage 2 on 17th of August as well!

I see you booked quite some time ago, having a lot of time for preparation.

Matching those airlines with aircraft is giving me a bit of a hard time and it's making me slightly nervous, but I guess it will be fine as time goes. How are you getting on?

I also booked a room to stay there the night before due to early start.

Hope all goes well for all attending on 17th!
Igi is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2017, 18:39
  #10296 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: High Wycombe
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by Daleboy93 View Post
Hi all,

I'm heading down for stage 3 on September 13th so fingers crossed!

Does anyone know how much emphasis they place on multi-pass? Most of the people overseeing my stage 2 seemed to think it was just a formality as opposed to having much say in the final outcome.

Also what were the interviews like? Is it mainly motivation and competency based or do they dig into the personality questionnaire that much?

Cheers!
Hi Daleboy93.

Congratulations! Can you please advise how the stage 2 is? are the collision avoidance and strip management tests still being taken?

Regards
Emilio
emiliete1990 is offline  
Old 5th Aug 2017, 09:40
  #10297 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Essex
Posts: 1
2nd Stage Assessment - 11 August

Hi,

I'm attending the Stage 2 Day on 11 August - anyone else going to be there?

How much emphasis is put on the aircraft description section in the document NATS send you for the 1st test? Is the test all multiple choice?

Thanks in advance.
FatManc is offline  
Old 5th Aug 2017, 20:58
  #10298 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 15
How much emphasis is put on the aircraft description section in the document NATS send you for the 1st test? Is the test all multiple choice?
Don't get super stressed over the booklet. Yes, you need to know it all because it's an even spread of questions but it's a very small part of the day and by the end of FEAST you'll be so fried you've forgotten the contents entirely.

Can you please advise how the stage 2 is? are the collision avoidance and strip management tests still being taken?
I can't really disclose any info on the tests. If you pass FEAST you move onto DART which I presume is the collision avoidance you're talking about Emilio?

The only thing you can prepare is the booklet, it doesn't matter how much you know about the tests before you go into them because you can't practise.

Hope that helps
Daleboy93 is offline  
Old 6th Aug 2017, 07:45
  #10299 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: High Wycombe
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by Daleboy93 View Post
I can't really disclose any info on the tests. If you pass FEAST you move onto DART which I presume is the collision avoidance you're talking about Emilio?

The only thing you can prepare is the booklet, it doesn't matter how much you know about the tests before you go into them because you can't practise.

Hope that helps
No problem. I was asking because I heard about that test separately from the DART. I was confused because DART already assesses you on separation and collision avoidance.

So they don't make you take additional tests on stage 2, right? Just FEAST and DART?

Thanks for your help.
emiliete1990 is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2017, 14:32
  #10300 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Dorset
Posts: 7
Can I have someone's advice? I will be cycling 5 miles between my home and train and NATS for my stage 2. But the dress code is smart? What should I wear? I'm a woman by the way. Should I speak to recuritment about this? haha
ns92 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.