PDA

View Full Version : Stansted-4

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Paulesx
16th Jun 2023, 09:44
Seems Hi Sky will be launching new KIV - STN flights 2x p/w effective 25 July , however have seen a few false launches from Hi Sky previously, perhaps replacing some of the Air Moldova flights as these seem to have stoped recently.

H70411 KIV 07:15 - 0840 (Tue)
H70411 KIV 19:30 - 20:55 (Thu)

H70412 STN 09:40 - 15:00 (Tue)
H70412 STN 21:55 - 03:15 (Thu)

source @seanm1997

davidjohnson6
16th Jun 2023, 09:48
Air Moldova went bankrupt over a month ago

pamann
20th Jun 2023, 15:16
Switching from LTN to STN.

Thanks to SeanM1997

Seljuk
24th Jun 2023, 07:33
There will be 'Oktoberfest flights' with Lufthansa to Munich from 15/09-01/10 on THU/FRI/SAT/SUN
MUC 18:05 - STN 19:05 - 19:55 - MUC 22:45 (LH 2494/LH 2495)

ATNotts
24th Jun 2023, 07:51
There will be 'Oktoberfest flights' with Lufthansa to Munich from 15/09-01/10 on THU/FRI/SAT/SUN
MUC 18:05 - STN 19:05 - 19:55 - MUC 22:45 (LH 2494/LH 2495)
If I was looking to fly to MUC I would be avoiding these services light the proverbial plague, especially if they are marketed as Oktoberfest Specials, given the English relationship with booze!

Keanaga
24th Jun 2023, 10:04
Walk then.

ATNotts
24th Jun 2023, 10:36
Walk then.
Bit far! Probably choose an alternative routing which wasn't being promoted as a method of getting to a pee-up!

Seriously, its a shame LH haven't considered something more long term, though they have only just dipped their toe back into the LGW market.

pabely
24th Jun 2023, 10:36
If I was looking to fly to MUC I would be avoiding these services light the proverbial plague, especially if they are marketed as Oktoberfest Specials, given the English relationship with booze!
I take it you have never been to an Oktoberfest then and Lufty are going to allow a minority if people to travel worst for wares! You could say the same statement about any Ibiza or Benidorm flight where booze on holiday is high on the agenda!

JW95
24th Jun 2023, 11:43
Nice to see another new airline at STN and the return of LH after many years, although shame it is only short term/seasonal. Wondering whether there is a chance they would consider extending it to permanent/year round? MUC hasn't been served from STN since EZY cut the route, and of course there is now a gap for a service to FRA since FR closed their Frankfurt base.

Sotonsean
24th Jun 2023, 17:58
Whilst we're on the subject of Lufthansa.

I've seen a few videos uploaded recently on YouTube of recent movements and noticed a Lufthansa Cargo Boeing 777F at London Stansted on some of the footage.

Can anyone confirm if Lufthansa Cargo have resumed flights to London Stansted?

Keanaga
24th Jun 2023, 18:25
No they were special polo pny flights from Buenos Aires.

Regards.

pamann
25th Jun 2023, 11:55
Any idea of a/c type? I’m assuming A320?

Coincidence that Lufthansa own 50% of SunExpress?

Sotonsean
25th Jun 2023, 13:05
No they were special polo pny flights from Buenos Aires.

Regards.

Many thanks for the reply and the information provided.

commit aviation
3rd Jul 2023, 16:35
Plans announced to extend terminal building (stanstedairport.com) (https://mediacentre.stanstedairport.com/plans-announced-to-extend-terminal-building/)

Looking like feedback from previous ideas has been taken into consideration. Will be interesting to see feedback and hopefully planning permission won't be too much of a challenge. Fair point - who am I kidding!

JW95
3rd Jul 2023, 17:10
Plans announced to extend terminal building (stanstedairport.com) (https://mediacentre.stanstedairport.com/plans-announced-to-extend-terminal-building/)

Looking like feedback from previous ideas has been taken into consideration. Will be interesting to see feedback and hopefully planning permission won't be too much of a challenge. Fair point - who am I kidding!

With these plans, I take it the terminal extension will effectively replace the (now scrapped?) arrivals building?

_aax1
3rd Jul 2023, 17:50
Great news, much better idea than a separate shed. RIP TTS…

pamann
3rd Jul 2023, 17:58
Great news, much better idea than a separate shed. RIP TTS…

Yes. I just zoomed in and it looks like it will be replaced with walkways (I’m assuming from that pic).

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1020x2000/548f0ad2_3152_4986_b4a9_472243795f05_dced489cdeb98fa54d8db66 a2a627a7ee6a2836d.jpeg

commit aviation
3rd Jul 2023, 18:08
Based on some internal comms I have been shown the TTS is going.
I also recall a comment about completing the shoreline check-in desk conversion work which will please many.

JW95
3rd Jul 2023, 18:28
Based on some internal comms I have been shown the TTS is going.
I also recall a comment about completing the shoreline check-in desk conversion work which will please many.

If the TTS is going, this will be similar to what happened with the original transit at LGW, which connected the South Terminal to the satellite in the 80s before being replaced by a walkway around the early 2000s. This will mean a long walk for passengers using satellite 1!

Skipness One Foxtrot
3rd Jul 2023, 18:34
How do you get to Sat 1 without the TTS?

commit aviation
3rd Jul 2023, 19:14
If the zoomed in picture above is correct, there appears to be a walkway planned to Sat 1.

Sotonsean
3rd Jul 2023, 19:45
The terminal could also be extended out as far as the current transit rail tracks. The pier connection to satellite 1 will be two storey for arriving and departing passengers. The area below what is now the transit area could be a lower link directly from piers satellites 1 and 2 to immigration and the baggage hall.

So am I correct in assuming the plan remains the same as regards to the original extension plans. The new extension will be for arrivals similar to the original plans for the block extension. Is the current arrivals area moving to the new extension or just being enlarged. If the arrivals area is indeed moving to the extension will the departure lounge be extended into what is now the arrivals area.

No mention of a satellite 4 which I'm really surprised about. But otherwise I like the idea of extending the current terminal rather than adding an ugly block extension. I personally think that having a pier connection to satellite 1 will be a good thing and will potentially eleviate bottlenecks during peak periods. Only downside is, it will more than likely be quite a long walk to and from satellite 1.

Unless the transit does remain in situ but purely for arriving passengers. Which I don't think would happen but just putting it out there just in case 😉

When the terminal was last extended in around 2008 I can vividly remember the difference in the colour of the ceiling compared to the rest of the building. The smoke ban had been in place for several years before that last extension and you can clearly see the difference in the colour of the ceiling. I can remember visiting STN shortly after the opening of the terminal in 1991 and being impressed with how bright, white and gleaming the entire building was.

The whole ceiling if at all possible due to it's material needs a complete clean and makeover. My eye's always seem to immediately stare at the state of the terminal ceiling whenever I enter the building. The difference is going to look even more obvious with a further extension to the terminal. I always thought that the during the time of the pandemic it would have been an ideal time to have had the opportunity to have cleaned the ceiling.

Sotonsean
3rd Jul 2023, 19:50
If the TTS is going, this will be similar to what happened with the original transit at LGW, which connected the South Terminal to the satellite in the 80s before being replaced by a walkway around the early 2000s. This will mean a long walk for passengers using satellite 1!

The TTS at LGW was replaced in the early 2000s with the current two level walkway because of circumstances not necessarily through choice.

STN406
3rd Jul 2023, 20:39
The TTS will be going. A proposed date has been said to be around 18 months before decommissioning starts.
Heavy bussing operations will then take place to get passengers to the SATS.

AirportPlanner1
3rd Jul 2023, 22:01
Would it be easily possible to open up access to the entirety of Sat 2 from the terminal to avoid the need for buses?

FRatSTN
3rd Jul 2023, 22:22
The new extension will host a bigger departure lounge, extended immigration and baggage reclaim and the shoreline check-in completed along the front. The domestic arrivals reclaim I guess will give way to the expanded security area and move into the extension. There was a plan some years back I recall that they'd do away with the domestic passenger route and instead all domestic arrivals be bussed, making Satellite 2 a full length international pier. Those that don't know, the domestic lounge (Gates 80-88) in Satellite 2 is actually on the arrivals level of the building. The departures level up in the green glass area above is dead space. If they're building a split level skylink they'd surely have to do something with that space as it would be impossible to get to the main level international (Gates 20-39) without the TTS. Not to mention it's also by far the shoddiest part of the airport. I agree also with the earlier comments about the ceiling in the main terminal, it's been in dire need of deep cleaning for years. You can see on the forecourt where it's much cleaner as part of it was replaced following that unfortuneate incident with the bus fire a few years back. The whole terminal in general needs a good spruce up, it's miserably old and dreary nevermind hatefully overcrowded. Certainly not what Norman Foster originally designed. Hopefully this is the investment it finally needs.

Skipness One Foxtrot
3rd Jul 2023, 23:43
Those that don't know, the domestic lounge (Gates 80-88) in Satellite 2 is actually on the arrivals level of the building. The departures level up in the green glass area above is dead space.
Why's it deadspace? I know you can boad international flights from 80-88 so I guess they never board them from upstairs? Has that always been the case?

davidjohnson6
4th Jul 2023, 04:34
Any estimates for how long an approval process might take, assuming nothing goes terribly wrong ?
Are there any sort of timescales for construction, once approved ?

VickersVicount
4th Jul 2023, 06:42
a bigger busier STN…? thats all we need, its horrific as it is thank you

Keanaga
4th Jul 2023, 08:18
Don't use it then Mr Viscount there are many others in the London/South East area to chose from.

STN406
4th Jul 2023, 08:42
Why's it deadspace? I know you can boad international flights from 80-88 so I guess they never board them from upstairs? Has that always been the case?

The dead space known locally at Stansted as the non fit out area is the overhead space above gate 81-88. Originally planned to be fitted out and used fully by BAA but never done for numerous reasons. MAG then also has not look to fit out the area to. In the last plans for Stansted along with the arrivals terminal SAT2 would have had a total refit and would have looked something like SAT1. Albeit with a new bridge connected to the main terminal.
If you look at this space from SAT1&3 you can actually see the shells of the escalator that would have been fitted into the building.

STN406
4th Jul 2023, 08:44

Agree with another comment if you don’t like using Stansted then don’t. With Stansted ready to face it’s busiest summer ever I’m sure 1 less passenger won’t effect this. Also why bother commenting on a Stansted post if you don’t like it!

STN406
4th Jul 2023, 08:45
Any estimates for how long an approval process might take, assuming nothing goes terribly wrong ?
Are there any sort of timescales for construction, once approved ?

We have been told internally that the TTS will beginning to be decommissioned in around 18 months. This is before they have got planning approval and got concrete plans and designs.

STN406
4th Jul 2023, 08:49
Would it be easily possible to open up access to the entirety of Sat 2 from the terminal to avoid the need for buses?

It is very easy to do this already. If the TTS is done for what ever reason then a contingency route to gate 29-39 is set up via gate 87 which has an internal staircase taking you up stairs to gates 29-39.

From what some have been informed internally the it might not be possible to do this while the initial works goes on as the current bridge to gate 81-88 would need to be removed.

pabely
4th Jul 2023, 11:29
Go and enjoy the superior Terminal experience at SEN while you can!

LTNman
4th Jul 2023, 13:08
While it pains me to say, the Stansted terminal is in a different league to the tat provided at Luton, at least Stansted’s terminal got finished off.

pamann
5th Jul 2023, 17:08
Would be good to see more detailed plans along with proper artist’s impressions rather than sketches. It reminds me a bit of Manchester’s terminal 2. coincidence?
I’m guessing the satellite buildings will become piers once they’ve been connected via walkways to the terminal. That extension will certainly bring the terminal within spitting distance of satellite 2.

Great news that the shoreline check-in concept will finally be finished.

_aax1
5th Jul 2023, 18:22
I’m hoping the leadership take this opportunity to take STN to a new chapter, rather than the plaster approach taken to date.

The whole place needs knocking down inside, cleaned and rebuilt in a way which gives a better experiance, whilst keeping operating costs down. If they get it right, I think more airlines will come here.

Does this mean they will knock down that awful extension out the front too?

daz211
5th Jul 2023, 19:57
That’s a hell of a walk from the far end of Satellite One to Baggage reclame.

JW95
5th Jul 2023, 20:57
Approximately when will the shoreline check in be fully completed and the remaining zones (A-F) be decommissioned? Meanwhile, the plans for the terminal extension sound promising and make sense (a far better idea than what was proposed initially with the arrivals building). It'll be interesting to see how this will impact passenger through-flow going forward, particularly with regards to walking distances to/from satellite 1; I'm guessing MAG will just install multiple travelators just to speed walking times up a bit? LHR for example have this in place from Terminal 2 to the B satellite.

Also, with satellite 2 set to get a new sky bridge once the TTS is phased out, are MAG planning on upgrading the satellite as originally intended? Presumably some re-configuration work on the satellite will be needed at the very least once new walkways to the international level are installed?

davidjohnson6
6th Jul 2023, 07:02
Norwegian are buying Wideroe. I'm wondering if Wideroe will still be flying Bergen - STN in a year's time

STN406
6th Jul 2023, 18:13
Norwegian are buying Wideroe. I'm wondering if Wideroe will still be flying Bergen - STN in a year's time

If you look at the information on the announcement. They are purely buying them off the current owners.

‘Norwegian will acquire Wideroe from WF Holding, with the airline continuing to operate as a separate company with its own brand, organisation and headquarters in Bodo’

Quote above from Business Traveller.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2023/07/06/norwegian-to-acquire-regional-carrier-wideroe/

Buster the Bear
21st Jul 2023, 18:16
Last paragraphs states a series of Lufthansa flights. https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/lufthansa-schedules-special-ski-flights-from-heathrow

pamann
21st Jul 2023, 19:42
Last paragraphs states a series of Lufthansa flights. https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/lufthansa-schedules-special-ski-flights-from-heathrow

These flights were announced a couple of weeks back and are to add capacity for Oktoberfest.

JW95
21st Jul 2023, 19:58
With STN's passenger numbers rising substantially again this summer, and with the check in area becoming very crowded especially during peak times, I wonder if MAG did make the right decision in relocating the security area from its original central area to where it is now at the far left of the terminal and getting rid of zones J&K? Certainly didn't feel as congested then as it can be now. I presume that where the old security area was is now part of the departure lounge? Assuming the terminal extension gets the go ahead, it'll be interesting to see what MAG's plans are- would be nice if they were to roll back on the shops a bit in favour of more areas for passengers to sit down, as STN's problem now is that it has become almost chocked by the retail outlets MAG have managed to cram in. The terminal definitely felt more spacious even in the last few years of BAA ownership :(

VickersVicount
21st Jul 2023, 20:45
on the shops a bit in favour of more areas for passengers to sit down,
I think we all know there is zero chance of that when its even more all about revenue streams now… People never walk with their feet and are quite willing to line up to queue in their masses, complaining when often they've paid less than £100 round trip and bought nothing in any any of the shops.

pamann
22nd Jul 2023, 00:48
I think we all know there is zero chance of that when its even more all about revenue streams now… People never walk with their feet and are quite willing to line up to queue in their masses, complaining when often they've paid less than £100 round trip and bought nothing in any any of the shops.

Also the terminal layout before security was relocated, those extra check-in zones were rarely used and were often empty like a ghost town. Even less now I’d say (if changes hadn’t been made) with more of Stansted’s customers using hand luggage only. But the shore-line check-in area will be well received once finished. The old check-in areas do feel dated and cramped as they’re no longer the ‘island style’ of Sir Norman Foster’s design.

JW95
22nd Jul 2023, 10:39
Also the terminal layout before security was relocated, those extra check-in zones were rarely used and were often empty like a ghost town. Even less now I’d say (if changes hadn’t been made) with more of Stansted’s customers using hand luggage only. But the shore-line check-in area will be well received once finished. The old check-in areas do feel dated and cramped as they’re no longer the ‘island style’ of Sir Norman Foster’s design.

I'm surprised you say that, because I remember seeing zones J&K being frequently used by FR prior to being knocked down? Their check in zones always seemed to be busy (more so now anyway!). I do remember reading in the STN press release notes that MAG had identified less pax using check in just prior to the terminal redevelopment, but it now feels as though the check in area is too small and more people are using it during peak times. I agree with you RE. the shoreline check in though, zone 500 definitely stands out as looking smart and modern compared to zones A-F. Is there a timeline for when it will be fully completed?

STN406
23rd Jul 2023, 04:51
I'm surprised you say that, because I remember seeing zones J&K being frequently used by FR prior to being knocked down? Their check in zones always seemed to be busy (more so now anyway!). I do remember reading in the STN press release notes that MAG had identified less pax using check in just prior to the terminal redevelopment, but it now feels as though the check in area is too small and more people are using it during peak times. I agree with you RE. the shoreline check in though, zone 500 definitely stands out as looking smart and modern compared to zones A-F. Is there a timeline for when it will be fully completed?

No timeline at this stage officially. Probably won’t get anything put out until the extension proposal gets accepted. Even then I’d imagine it won’t be the first project taken on.
But works to expand security begin later this year with the entrance to security moving forward to give more space for the new security lanes and to add more queuing space.

JW95
25th Jul 2023, 16:28
No timeline at this stage officially. Probably won’t get anything put out until the extension proposal gets accepted. Even then I’d imagine it won’t be the first project taken on.
But works to expand security begin later this year with the entrance to security moving forward to give more space for the new security lanes and to add more queuing space.
Good news RE. security, where is the new entrance going? Hopefully it'll look better than the current one- the white hoarding looks poor. I think MAG must've redesigned the entrance at least twice since the security area was relocated in 2013-14.

FRatSTN
29th Jul 2023, 10:16
Lufthansa look to be extending their ad-hoc STN-MUC service over Oktoberfest with several dates now available over Christmas/New Year and Feb half-term periods.

Paulesx
29th Jul 2023, 12:27
Indeed and with better timings, see they are loaded for double daily on some periods with 1 operated by Lufthansa and 1 operated by Eurowings.

No doubt it would work very well as a year round addition, as would a flight to CDG with AF and a flight to AMS with KLM for both the stand alone and Hub connection opportunities

pabely
29th Jul 2023, 16:24
I think you are thinking of 2015-2017 with Eurowings, RYR are much stronger now. As for AF & KLM, slots are almost impossible to get and risk diluting LHR.

Paulesx
29th Jul 2023, 17:42
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/980x2000/img_9466_ad23e166caa33880046bac538f9e225e8d3a9672.jpeg
Well it varies , Friday 22 dec example here is one eurowings and one Lufthansa.
saturday 23rd shows two operated by Lufthansa

JW95
29th Jul 2023, 17:56
Indeed and with better timings, see they are loaded for double daily on some periods with 1 operated by Lufthansa and 1 operated by Eurowings.

No doubt it would work very well as a year round addition, as would a flight to CDG with AF and a flight to AMS with KLM for both the stand alone and Hub connection opportunities

I second that- it would be fantastic for STN if LH did convert this to a year round operation - connections wise, especially long haul, Munich has it covered well :) Plus MUC hasn't been served for some time since EZY cut the route, so its about time we had a year round connection again :) As far as AMS/CDG are concerned, I agree with you there also. AMS would work fantastically well as a feeder route with KLM, although there is an argument that this could potentially cannibalise loads on the NWI, LCY and LHR routes. Similar scenario with CDG, which hasn't been served from Stansted since EZY cancelled it. Surely MAG should be able to attract at least one of these airlines as a feeder operation to STN? I also can't see FR ever responding with their own STN-AMS/CDG services.

STN406
4th Aug 2023, 14:43
Sent out to MAG colleagues today. More insight into the terminal expansion. ‘London Stansted Airport has submitted a planning application to extend the back of the terminal by 16,500m2.

This scheme will provide increased terminal space to cater for additional passengers and provide a great experience at each stage of the passenger journey, from check-in through to immigration.

The scheme includes:

Replacing the existing check-in islands with a shoreline configuration, providing a more spacious environment, enhanced technology and additional queuing space.
Expanding our security hall, providing additional security lanes fitted with next-generation security equipment.
Extending the departure lounge, providing more space for passengers to relax before their flights with a wide variety of shops, bars and restaurants.
Constructing new ‘skylink’ walkways to directly link the terminal to the satellites.
Increasing the capacity of our immigration hall and baggage system, including additional reclaim belts.

Following an extensive review of design options, the extension provides the space and capacity we need, where we need it in the most timely and efficient manner. Subject to receiving planning approval, work on the extension is expected to begin next year.’

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/724x527/img_5978_99d1726aaea14ed68bf16c1b177bc1dc73102a5b.jpeg
No plans or applications has been uploaded to the local council’s planing application page as of yet. Would imagine it would come on after the weekend now.

pamann
4th Aug 2023, 15:33
Sent out to MAG colleagues today. More insight into the terminal expansion. ‘London Stansted Airport has submitted a planning application to extend the back of the terminal by 16,500m2.

This scheme will provide increased terminal space to cater for additional passengers and provide a great experience at each stage of the passenger journey, from check-in through to immigration.

The scheme includes:

Replacing the existing check-in islands with a shoreline configuration, providing a more spacious environment, enhanced technology and additional queuing space.
Expanding our security hall, providing additional security lanes fitted with next-generation security equipment.
Extending the departure lounge, providing more space for passengers to relax before their flights with a wide variety of shops, bars and restaurants.
Constructing new ‘skylink’ walkways to directly link the terminal to the satellites.
Increasing the capacity of our immigration hall and baggage system, including additional reclaim belts.

Following an extensive review of design options, the extension provides the space and capacity we need, where we need it in the most timely and efficient manner. Subject to receiving planning approval, work on the extension is expected to begin next year.’

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/724x527/img_5978_99d1726aaea14ed68bf16c1b177bc1dc73102a5b.jpeg
No plans or applications has been uploaded to the local council’s planing application page as of yet. Would imagine it would come on after the weekend now.

Overall I’m pleased as it’s about time some money was spent by MAG on improvements at Stansted.

One thing to note however

Relax clearly doesn’t include more seating. This is what’s desperately needed. Relax in MAG’s terms is to fleece the passenger of their dosh with more shops and restaurants. Stansted resembles a shopping mall as it is. What is also needed is more lounge options. The current lounge is woeful and lacks any feeling of exclusivity. It feels like you’re in a canteen in some factory basement.

SWBKCB
4th Aug 2023, 15:40
Overall I’m pleased as it’s about time some money was spent by MAG on improvements at Stansted.

Relax clearly doesn’t include more seating. This is what’s desperately needed. Relax in MAG’s terms is to fleece the passenger of their dosh with more shops and restaurants. Stansted resembles a shopping mall as it is. What is also needed is more lounge options. The current lounge is woeful and lacks any feeling of exclusivity. It feels like you’re in a canteen in some factory basement.

Ah, the standard response - hard to believe, but people actually like bars, restaurants and shops in airports, and it gives the airport operators chance to make up for the low fees airlines pay. I'm sure that if fares and fees went up the airports would be happy to shuffle people through the terminal as quickly as possible, with minimum investment.

pamann
4th Aug 2023, 15:42
Ah, the standard response - hard to believe, but people actually like bars, restaurants and shops in airports, and it gives the airport operators chance to make up for the low fees airlines pay. I'm sure that if fares and fees went up the airports would be happy to shuffle people through the terminal as quickly as possible, with minimum investment.

Maybe it’s a standard response because it’s true 👍🏻

davidjohnson6
4th Aug 2023, 15:46
People are too addicted to the low headline fare for airport fees to be raised significantly. We see the "fly somewhere far away for pennies" advert, and it's only when we get to the airport that we remember the whole experience.

JW95
4th Aug 2023, 17:05

I agree. Whilst I don't mind the prospect of a few more shops/restaurants in an enlarged departure lounge at STN, the primary (and urgent) focus now needs to be additional seating provision. Currently, general seating is well below what it should be, resulting in many people having to sit on the floor- I've witnessed long lines of people sat on both sides at the beginning of the walkway from the departure lounge en route to satellite 3 several times. This will undoubtably continue to get worse until it is properly addressed, especially as STN has become the fastest recovering London airport as far as pre-pandemic passenger numbers are concerned. Also agree RE. airport and airline lounges, I don't think MAG will install any additional lounges in the terminal, but there is ample (and unused) space in satellite 1 and satellite 2 which could definitely be used for this purpose.

davidjohnson6
4th Aug 2023, 17:09
JW95 - if you're looking for spare seats, you should probably be going down the escalator near Itsu towards gates 90+ - there's a quiet seating area hidden away which usually has plenty of space.
It was refurbished a few months ago and the type of seats changed - so it no longer has the scruffy feel of a homeless shelter

JW95
4th Aug 2023, 17:13
JW95 - if you're looking for spare seats, you hould probably going down the escalator near itsu towards gates 90+ - there's a quiet seating area which usually has plenty of space.
It was refurbished a few months ago and the type of seats changed - so it no longer has the scruffy feel of a homeless shelter

Good shout! I have been down there a few times on my last few visits to STN- but going into the long term, this (along with the seating area en route to satellite 3) won't be enough to cope with rising passenger numbers at STN, which are increasing substantially vs LHR/LGW/LTN.

ATNotts
4th Aug 2023, 17:22
Good shout! I have been down there a few times on my last few visits to STN- but going into the long term, this (along with the seating area en route to satellite 3) won't be enough to cope with rising passenger numbers at STN, which are increasing substantially vs LHR/LGW/LTN.
Isn't the truth that passengers sitting down aren't spending money unless they've taken out a mortgage to pay for food and drink at a concession.

The cynic in me says that the longer check-in times these days are as much to do with maximising ancillary spend per passenger as they are to do passenger processing.

Asturias56
4th Aug 2023, 17:39
exactly - you see less and less seats in any airport - often the best place is actually near the gate where shopping opportunities are restricted by low number s and timing

JW95
4th Aug 2023, 17:43
exactly - you see less and less seats in any airport - often the best place is actually near the gate where shopping opportunities are restricted by low number s and timing
Agreed. Satellites 1 and 2 actually have plentiful seating. Satellite 3 however lacks it, so could definitely do with some more near gate areas.

davidjohnson6
4th Aug 2023, 18:23
The Ryanair satellite often has plenty of empty seats at the far end - approx gate 52 or 54... but don't go down the escalator to the standing-room-only dungeon unless and until absolutely necessary - there be dragons there

STN406
5th Aug 2023, 01:21
The Ryanair satellite often has plenty of empty seats at the far end - approx gate 52 or 54... but don't go down the escalator to the standing-room-only dungeon unless and until absolutely necessary - there be dragons there

For reference Gate 52 or 54 are down stairs. Only gates 40-50 are upstairs.

STN406
5th Aug 2023, 01:28
I agree. Whilst I don't mind the prospect of a few more shops/restaurants in an enlarged departure lounge at STN, the primary (and urgent) focus now needs to be additional seating provision. Currently, general seating is well below what it should be, resulting in many people having to sit on the floor- I've witnessed long lines of people sat on both sides at the beginning of the walkway from the departure lounge en route to satellite 3 several times. This will undoubtably continue to get worse until it is properly addressed, especially as STN has become the fastest recovering London airport as far as pre-pandemic passenger numbers are concerned. Also agree RE. airport and airline lounges, I don't think MAG will install any additional lounges in the terminal, but there is ample (and unused) space in satellite 1 and satellite 2 which could definitely be used for this purpose.

SAT1 hasn't got that much space during peak departures. There are plans to look to get better gate usage out of the gates in SAT1 for next summer as its near capacity most mornings and afternoon peaks. Possibly splitting boarding gates up. For example LS1577 to HER and LS1511 to KGS both leaving at 0600 could both be boarding from the same gate area 11/12 which currently are joint together.
The Emirates lounge will be fitted out shortly in SAT1 and should be open to the back end of the year. Though this will only be usable by Emirates passengers.

SAT2 would have some space if they repurpose the small Weatherspoon's in the area. But this wouldn't be beneficial until a new link bridge to SAT2 is done as once your upstairs at the gate area its not the easiest to be able to get back if your flights leaving from elsewhere.

JW95
5th Aug 2023, 10:40
SAT1 hasn't got that much space during peak departures. There are plans to look to get better gate usage out of the gates in SAT1 for next summer as its near capacity most mornings and afternoon peaks. Possibly splitting boarding gates up. For example LS1577 to HER and LS1511 to KGS both leaving at 0600 could both be boarding from the same gate area 11/12 which currently are joint together.
The Emirates lounge will be fitted out shortly in SAT1 and should be open to the back end of the year. Though this will only be usable by Emirates passengers.

SAT2 would have some space if they repurpose the small Weatherspoon's in the area. But this wouldn't be beneficial until a new link bridge to SAT2 is done as once your upstairs at the gate area its not the easiest to be able to get back if your flights leaving from elsewhere.

Many thanks for the info and updates STN406 :) Once the terminal extension gets the go ahead, do you know if there will be any reconfigurations done to satellite 2, considering that there will eventually be a new skylink in place to replace the existing TTS route? It would be nice to see it modernised and in line with satellite 1.

Paulesx
5th Aug 2023, 11:33
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/920x2000/img_9803_cbdc3662706761e84426ac30f153d5b9d46a47e9.png
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/920x2000/img_9804_93f06f7f80abcb2439c389f94df340a5f1942bf8.png
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/920x2000/img_9805_ae1a9fdca0bbf6ad5048150fc228f4df0a412757.png

pabely
5th Aug 2023, 12:49
Two of those are the same flight, the Tailwind flight number is FR24 doing a bit of AI and getting it wrong. I hazzed a guess a charter getting guys home after training with UK services. Don't think FlyOne is sheduled for a Saturday yet, currently 4 weekly and did Thursday & Friday. Next flight should be Sunday. Chisinau Airport web site shows no departure. The overspill flights from Luton as they could not secure extra slots at Luton.
Usual thing with FR24, just because a flight plan has been made, doesn't mean it will actually run.

SWBKCB
5th Aug 2023, 13:17
Two of those are the same flight, I hazzed a guess a charter getting guys home after training with UK services.

Shakhtar Donetsk to play Spurs on Sunday

Sotonsean
5th Aug 2023, 14:07
The airports Escape Lounge currently has windows overlooking a semi view of the apron or at least part of the transit.

With the planned extension of the back of the terminal will this particular lounge remain in situ.

With the planned extension to the back of the terminal surely it wouldn't be too difficult to build some new purpose built lounges on the lower level.

I for one would never pay to use the current Escape Lounge, it's absolutely soulless.

Building a satellite 4 would alleviate some of the issues with seating in the main terminal.

I for one and many others agree, there's no issues with shopping and catering outlets. If you enjoy using them, well use them. If you're a boring old sole who doesn't enjoy them, well you can sit on the floor. I have never been in a position where I have had to sit on the floor at STN. I've always found there's somewhere to sit if needed. But personally I'm the sort of person who prefers to stand up. I don't necessarily feel the need for a seat whilst I'm at the airport unless I'm using one of the many catering outlets.

Checking in online, arriving at the airport about 60 to 70 minutes before my flight has always been ample enough. I've only missed two flights in my entire life and I've taken hundreds of them. One in 1986 (LHR) and one in 2010 (LGW), none from STN.

Who actually checks in three hours or more before their actual flight?

Unless you're in a large group or with young children I personally don't understand that regardless of what the airport or airline suggests.

Sure when I was younger and a keen spotter I would arrive at the airport really early, but that was in the early 1980s. As I'm usually a single traveller arriving at the airport 60 to 70 minutes prior to my flight is ample enough.

pabely
5th Aug 2023, 14:23
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Spurs on Sunday
I first thought that with the particular livery aircraft being booked but they played all their Home fixtures in Warsaw last year so thought they had setup ship their, although the contract was to use stadium for 1 year so perhaps they are based in another Polish city this year.
Perhaps the guys off training went on the Air Tanker A330 earlier.

JW95
5th Aug 2023, 19:54
[QUOTE=Sotonsean;11479846] Building a satellite 4 would alleviate some of the issues with seating in the main terminal.

I'm also surprised that there has been zero mention/indication of satellite 4 at STN, considering this has been floated about for years. If ever there was a need for it, I'd definitely say it would be now, considering how quickly STN has been recovering from the pandemic. Although, I'm wondering if MAG are planning to increase satellite 2 utilisation first prior to satellite 4 coming into the works? Compared to satellite 1 and satellite 3, sat 2 does feel very under used with the occasional Ryanair, Lauda and easyJet departures.

STN406
6th Aug 2023, 17:19
[QUOTE=Sotonsean;11479846] Building a satellite 4 would alleviate some of the issues with seating in the main terminal.

I'm also surprised that there has been zero mention/indication of satellite 4 at STN, considering this has been floated about for years. If ever there was a need for it, I'd definitely say it would be now, considering how quickly STN has been recovering from the pandemic. Although, I'm wondering if MAG are planning to increase satellite 2 utilisation first prior to satellite 4 coming into the works? Compared to satellite 1 and satellite 3, sat 2 does feel very under used with the occasional Ryanair, Lauda and easyJet departures.

SAT2 underused ? Not sure how or why you think this. First wave every stand is used same as SAT1 and 3 then thought-out the day it’s used just as much as the other two. The only exception would be the gates 81-88 are used a little less than gates 29-39.

Until plans are shared of the full extent of the extension it won’t be clear to see what’s happening in terms of changes to the SAT’s. In the last project for expansion pre covid. A new link bridge to SAT2 was going to happen and a full renovation to SAT2 was planned to have a similar design to SAT1. You’d imagine this would be the same to make the most of gate to stand availability during peak hours.

JW95
7th Aug 2023, 15:28
[QUOTE=JW95;11479994]

SAT2 underused ? Not sure how or why you think this. First wave every stand is used same as SAT1 and 3 then thought-out the day it’s used just as much as the other two. The only exception would be the gates 81-88 are used a little less than gates 29-39.

Until plans are shared of the full extent of the extension it won’t be clear to see what’s happening in terms of changes to the SAT’s. In the last project for expansion pre covid. A new link bridge to SAT2 was going to happen and a full renovation to SAT2 was planned to have a similar design to SAT1. You’d imagine this would be the same to make the most of gate to stand availability during peak hours.

Could just be the time of day maybe? (most flights I've boarded from SAT2 have been in the afternoon), and it does feel noticeably quieter around that time, whereas SAT 1&3 appear busier during the same time. Definitely looking forward to seeing the plans when they are released though, and I am hopeful that now MAG are investing into STN once more, some of this will be directed towards a full SAT2 renovation. There's a great design mock up showing what MAG had intended SAT2 to look like prior Covid, I'm hoping something like this will be back on the cards soon, as it definitely could do with some modernisation work:

https://www.westonwilliamson.com/projects/stansted-airport-satellite-2-modernisation

davidjohnson6
8th Aug 2023, 09:43
HiSky (or CA HiSky SRL to be formal) is an airline based in Moldova that flies commercial scheduled passenger flights. It is part of the same group of companies as HiSky Europe, a Romanian airline.
When flying between Moldova and Israel, one often sees an aircraft registered to the Moldovan airline and on the Moldovan register operating the flight. When flying between Moldova and Stansted, one sees ONLY aircraft registered to the Romanian airline and on the Romanian register operating the flight.
How do they get away with this from the CAA ? Don't they have to at least make a reasonable attempt at following nationality rules ?

JW95
8th Aug 2023, 14:32
MAG have updated the airport website to confirm that the planning application for the terminal extension has now been formally submitted. Hopefully it won't be too long before we hear more :)

SWBKCB
8th Aug 2023, 14:36
Moldova is part of the EU's common aviation area, does this give them the same rights as an EU operator? and if it doesn't, do you know there hasn't been an agreement with the CAA?

davidjohnson6
8th Aug 2023, 14:56
Moldova is part of the EU's common aviation area, does this give them the same rights as an EU operator? and if it doesn't, do you know there hasn't been an agreement with the CAA?
I tried looking for the UK-Moldova Air Services agreement on the web - but it seems to have been removed. I've raised a Freedom of Information request to the UK Dept for Transport to see the wording but in the meantime am hoping somebody here might have good knowledge.

The UK-Iceland Air Services agreement does NOT allow EU airlines to fly between the UK and Iceland - hence Niceair being unable to charter Maltese airline HiFly to fly between Iceland and the UK and Niceair eventually going bankrupt. Iceland is more closely integrated with the EU than Moldova (part of Schengen, etc...). More surprising is that HiSky Moldova specifically uses an H7 (HiSky Moldova) IATA code for Moldova-UK and Moldova-Israel flights, but H4 (HiSky Romania) for everything else... which suggests there's a specific need for the Moldovan (and not Romanian) company to be flying to the UK (and Israel)

sewushr
8th Aug 2023, 16:23
You're over complicating things DJ6. It is a wet-lease, pure and simple.

No different to what another Moldovan carrier (Fly One) is doing. All of their flights are operated by wet-leased aircraft of Jordan Aviation, SkyUp and Fly One's Romanian subsidiary.

And, in the year or two before their demise, the majority of Air Moldova's flights to Stansted were operated by a wet-leased Romanian aircraft of Aerro Direkt.

You cannot compare this situation with the proposed Nice Air/HiFly services as there was no wet-lease involved in that arrangement.

davidjohnson6
9th Aug 2023, 20:52
New airline, new route - SkyAlps to Bolzano
https://italiavola.com/2023/08/09/skyalps-aprira-i-voli-bolzano-londra-da-meta-dicembre-atterrera-a-stansted/

BHX5DME
10th Aug 2023, 14:11
July 2023

Manchester – 2,996,690 up 14.8%

Stansted – 2,807,150 up 13.5%

East Midlands – 495,214 up 18.7%

Rolling 12m end 31.07.23

Stansted – 26,835,667

Manchester – 26,617,362

East Midlands – 3,600,428

Manchester Airports Group ‘s (MAG) focus on delivering maximum choice and value to passengers drove a strong performance in July, as figures show London Stansted became the first major UK airport to reach pre-pandemic passenger levels.

The airport saw 2.8m passengers pass through its terminal, which was equivalent to 102% of levels seen in July 2019. Last month was the busiest July the airport had ever seen, and the third busiest month in its history.

London Stansted serves more European destinations than any other airport in the UK, offering passengers the choice they look for when booking their summer breaks, business trips or to visit friends and family. It serves as important gateway for visitors to the capital.

This breadth of choice and value is seen across MAG - which also owns and operates Manchester and East Midlands Airports. MAG served 6.3m passengers across the month. Manchester Airport served 2.9m passengers, equivalent to 94% of pre-pandemic levels, and East Midlands Airport served 495,000 passengers, representing 87% of traffic seen in July 2019.

The rolling 12-month passenger total for the Group is now more than 57 million passengers – up 51% on last year.

All three of MAG’s airports have maintained their high levels of service as the summer season has continued. In July 100% of passengers at East Midlands Airport passed through security in 15 minutes or less, the figure was 97% at London Stansted and 96% at Manchester.

In the CAA’s annual Airport Accessibility Report published in July, all three of MAG’s airports received the highest possible ‘very good’ rating from the regulator. The official ratings saw Manchester and London Stansted improve their performance, while East Midlands Airport maintained its rating which saw it rated the Europe’s top-performing airport at The Ozion Accessibility Awards last year.

pamann
10th Aug 2023, 14:25
Rolling 12m end 31.07.23

Stansted – 26,835,667

Manchester – 26,617,362

East Midlands – 3,600,428

So if my eyes are not deceiving me, Stansted has become the U.K’s third busiest airport. Pushing back Manchester (just) to fourth place.

JW95
12th Aug 2023, 11:03
This is a significant milestone for STN, and I believe this marks the first time Stansted ranks as the UK's third busiest airport after LHR and LGW since 2007/8? Well done MAG!

RE. the terminal extension, I wonder if MAG plan to (finally) install an airside transit security area? Hopefully they would have the space to do this with the departure lounge set to get bigger.

Rutan16
12th Aug 2023, 11:28
This is a significant milestone for STN, and I believe this marks the first time Stansted ranks as the UK's third busiest airport after LHR and LGW since 2007/8? Well done MAG!

RE. the terminal extension, I wonder if MAG plan to (finally) install an airside transit security area? Hopefully they would have the space to do this with the departure lounge set to get bigger.

Stansted tends to fall back a little over the full calendar year .

That said combined the MAG estate is a success for sure enough.

Think Manchester currently has more movements and the rate of recovery has been remarkable especially in the current wider economic malaise.

Given there are no network carriers present, UK screening and re screening border and security demands, why invest in airside transit facilities , who would use them and pay for their upkeep ?

JW95
12th Aug 2023, 11:53
Stansted tends to fall back a little over the full calendar year .

That said combined the MAG estate is a success for sure enough.

Think Manchester currently has more movements and the rate of recovery has been remarkable especially in the current wider economic malaise.

Given there are no network carriers present, UK screening and re screening border and security demands, why invest in airside transit facilities , who would use them and pay for their upkeep ?

RE. absence of network carriers - I believe this is something MAG are targeting, in addition to further long haul, aside from Emirates to DXB, so an airside transit facility, even if small, could be beneficial in achieving this. Also, I know that FR did start to launch connecting flights a few years ago from BGY and FCO, and given that STN is their largest base, as well as the fact that passengers do "self connect" from Stansted, this further adds weight for the need for a transit facility, even if it is just a small one. Would certainly save passengers the hassle of having to clear customs and passport control and re-enter the terminal. The current 'flight connections' signage is pretty misleading because of this.

Rutan16
12th Aug 2023, 16:58
RE. absence of network carriers - I believe this is something MAG are targeting, in addition to further long haul, aside from Emirates to DXB, so an airside transit facility, even if small, could be beneficial in achieving this. Also, I know that FR did start to launch connecting flights a few years ago from BGY and FCO, and given that STN is their largest base, as well as the fact that passengers do "self connect" from Stansted, this further adds weight for the need for a transit facility, even if it is just a small one. Would certainly save passengers the hassle of having to clear customs and passport control and re-enter the terminal. The current 'flight connections' signage is pretty misleading because of this.

Again don’t dispute Harp customers self connect at both MAG airports, however the demands of GB Government Border and security make for an exceptionally poor and very expensive experience to the operator (MAG) to provide the requisite facilities for relatively small numbers when compared to almost any Schengen airport facility. This is compounded by the lack of a genuine hub and spoke carrier that Dublin (none Schengen but CTA )can also deliver.

Whether Lufthansa Group return for a longer stay or an additional desert based carrier enters the fray it remains unlikely to change the balance in any meaningful way.

And for whatever reasons MAG Groups record on TALC carrier retention has been particularly weak in the last few years.

One of the central policies of MAG Group and partner IFE is the maximisation of retail and concessions across Group Businesses in the UK , Australia and the US.
That effectively means generating as much value from each square foot of terminal space.

Whilst it wouldn’t necessary preclude transit facilities it would suggest they are of lower priority in strategic planning, and opportunity cost/investment considerations.

Consider those optics , and the threshold barely reaches “nice to have” territory.

All passengers transiting a UK airport must to be reprocessed to UK Border standards to board an onward flight by statute.

Rutan16
12th Aug 2023, 18:59
New airline, new route - SkyAlps to Bolzano
https://italiavola.com/2023/08/09/skyalps-aprira-i-voli-bolzano-londra-da-meta-dicembre-atterrera-a-stansted/

Is this actually going to operate unlike the abortive Gatwick service ?

Keanaga
12th Aug 2023, 19:07
Well it's on sale.

Rutan16
12th Aug 2023, 19:34
Well it's on sale.

So was Gatwick

No disrespect It might be an ideal flight for the place due south especially if they had secured the Saturday extension .

Bolzano, Trentino Alto and Sarentino are spectacular however far from cheap !

JW95
14th Aug 2023, 11:36
Just came across a report on STN's proposed terminal extension. It confirms what a lot of us already know, including the decommissioning of the existing TTS (interestingly, it mentions that it will only be partially demolished). As well as this:

The current bus gate building (gates 90-93) will be removed;
The existing walkways connecting satellite 2 (gates 81-88) and satellite 3 will be demolished in favour of 3 new 'skylink' walkways equipped with travelators that will connect the extended terminal to the 3 satellites;
A new baggage handing facility will be built to the lefthand side of the terminal building.

So far, nothing mentioned on any other work, including satellite modernisation, however, no doubt this will become clearer once MAG receive planning approval.

According to the report, this is what the proposed terminal reconfiguration will look like upon completion:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1130/screenshot_2023_08_14_at_12_12_54_8d1ab271ca58d524c7bf5444bf a6dbf0777b0f77.png

STN406
14th Aug 2023, 11:43
Just came across a report on STN's proposed terminal extension. It confirms what a lot of us already know, including the decommissioning of the existing TTS (interestingly, it mentions that it will only be partially demolished). As well as this:

The current bus gate building (gates 90-93) will be removed;
The existing walkways connecting satellite 2 (gates 81-88) and satellite 3 will be demolished in favour of 3 new 'skylink' walkways equipped with travelators that will connect the extended terminal to the 3 satellites;
A new baggage handing facility will be built to the lefthand side of the terminal building.

So far, nothing mentioned on any other work, including satellite modernisation, however, no doubt this will become clearer once MAG receive planning approval.

According to the report, this is what the proposed terminal reconfiguration will look like upon completion:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1130/screenshot_2023_08_14_at_12_12_54_8d1ab271ca58d524c7bf5444bf a6dbf0777b0f77.png

Yeah most as mentioned before.
The new baggage handling building to the left was new for most people. No mention or rumours of this prior. It will also handle the domestic arrivals within it too.

I doubt any word on changes to the satellites will come until this project gets approved.

Obviously the plans for now are very basic but I’m sure better and clear images will be provided in due course.

If plans are accepted MAG intends to start works from the end of the year.

JW95
14th Aug 2023, 12:55
Yeah most as mentioned before.
The new baggage handling building to the left was new for most people. No mention or rumours of this prior. It will also handle the domestic arrivals within it too.

I doubt any word on changes to the satellites will come until this project gets approved.

Obviously the plans for now are very basic but I’m sure better and clear images will be provided in due course.

If plans are accepted MAG intends to start works from the end of the year.
What surprised me is that it mentioned that the TTS will only be partially demolished, what use would the remainder have if the system is going to be replaced with the 3 new skylinks? Hopefully planning permission will be secured soon, as it'll be interesting to see more concrete plans and designs. One thing is for sure- STN is going to need a heck of a lot of buses once the TTS is decommissioned and the existing walkways to SAT2 and SAT 3 are demolished.

STN406
14th Aug 2023, 13:46
What surprised me is that it mentioned that the TTS will only be partially demolished, what use would the remainder have if the system is going to be replaced with the 3 new skylinks? Hopefully planning permission will be secured soon, as it'll be interesting to see more concrete plans and designs. One thing is for sure- STN is going to need a heck of a lot of buses once the TTS is decommissioned and the existing walkways to SAT2 and SAT 3 are demolished.

Yes at this stage of the planning it would only be the track directly from in front of the terminal that will be removed. This is likely to do with environmental concerns and it’s easier to get planning approval for a small demolition and they tackle the rest later down the line when it’s not in use.

Undoubtedly there will be a huge amount of bussing going on for a duration. No idea how this will be done. One of the walkways to SAT2/3 and the APV (Gates 90-93) would probably have to remain for a duration to allow for bussing.

JW95
15th Aug 2023, 16:04
Yes at this stage of the planning it would only be the track directly from in front of the terminal that will be removed. This is likely to do with environmental concerns and it’s easier to get planning approval for a small demolition and they tackle the rest later down the line when it’s not in use.

Undoubtedly there will be a huge amount of bussing going on for a duration. No idea how this will be done. One of the walkways to SAT2/3 and the APV (Gates 90-93) would probably have to remain for a duration to allow for bussing.

Agreed. On the plus side, the removal of the transit will also finally put an end to passengers getting 'trapped' in satellite 2 due to mistakenly misreading gate information when their flight is boarding from SAT3 for example. I've seen this happen a few times, so it will definitely allow for more flexibility once the new skylink bridges open. However, undoubtably this is also going to result in longer walking times, especially to/from satellite 1. The walk to SAT 3 MAG states is 10 minutes minimum, so I expect this to be longer for SAT1. I wonder what MAG intend to do with the space currently occupied by the transit stations in SAT1 and 2?

STN406
15th Aug 2023, 16:32
Agreed. On the plus side, the removal of the transit will also finally put an end to passengers getting 'trapped' in satellite 2 due to mistakenly misreading gate information when their flight is boarding from SAT3 for example. I've seen this happen a few times, so it will definitely allow for more flexibility once the new skylink bridges open. However, undoubtably this is also going to result in longer walking times, especially to/from satellite 1. The walk to SAT 3 MAG states is 10 minutes minimum, so I expect this to be longer for SAT1. I wonder what MAG intend to do with the space currently occupied by the transit stations in SAT1 and 2?

Don’t really get trapped. They can get escorted back to the departure lounge easy enough.
Also if passengers can’t read the signage now to their gates (Which is clear) then what’s gonna stop them doing it in the future.

terrain safe
15th Aug 2023, 20:25
I have seen a pax run from Sat2 to Sat1 across the apron with their carry-on bag while an aircraft had pushed back at the bottom of the Bravo apron. Needless to say they didn't get on their aircraft and spent a few hours in a cell!

_aax1
15th Aug 2023, 21:20
Don’t really get trapped. They can get escorted back to the departure lounge easy enough.
Also if passengers can’t read the signage now to their gates (Which is clear) then what’s gonna stop them doing it in the future.

The signage is a mess.

davidjohnson6
15th Aug 2023, 21:30
It puzzles me why there cannot be a couple of screens by the entrance to the transit next to itsu / Wetherspoons listing just the flights departing from gates serviced by the transit, along with a sign in English and a few other languages saying "Only flights from transit gates are listed here. If your flight is not shown, please see the main screens behind you". It seems very possible to have a screen listing just flights from gates 81-89 just before entering that pier...

Alsacienne
15th Aug 2023, 21:46
My experience is that it is not just the signage that is a mess, but because the gate allocation is relatively short to the departure time of the incoming aircraft, it is stressful to make sure you get there ... especially in the case of Ryanair flights from their terminal because they close the gate at departure time -30 mins, and the gate only shows up at departure time -40 mins. Of course, you can try to beat the system by going to the Ryanair wing 'early' and hoping that your flight will depart from there, with a relatively quiet café and plenty of seating ... but if you get it wrong, it's like the Grand National to get back to the departure lounge and start again on a transit ....

JW95
16th Aug 2023, 09:01
It puzzles me why there cannot be a couple of screens by the entrance to the transit next to itsu / Wetherspoons listing just the flights departing from gates serviced by the transit, along with a sign in English and a few other languages saying "Only flights from transit gates are listed here. If your flight is not shown, please see the main screens behind you". It seems very possible to have a screen listing just flights from gates 81-89 just before entering that pier...

I completely second this! For example, there are screens in the walkway en route to gates 81-88 displaying flights for those gates only, yet there have never been any for gates 1-39, even when BAA owned the airport. As far as the transit signage is concerned, I do think this is clear, as it does advise passengers that it stops at gates 1-19 and 20-39 only, but having a screen near the entrance displaying gate information for flights departing from those gates would help and perhaps minimise the risk of passengers accidentally boarding the transit.

JW95
16th Aug 2023, 09:08
My experience is that it is not just the signage that is a mess, but because the gate allocation is relatively short to the departure time of the incoming aircraft, it is stressful to make sure you get there ... especially in the case of Ryanair flights from their terminal because they close the gate at departure time -30 mins, and the gate only shows up at departure time -40 mins. Of course, you can try to beat the system by going to the Ryanair wing 'early' and hoping that your flight will depart from there, with a relatively quiet café and plenty of seating ... but if you get it wrong, it's like the Grand National to get back to the departure lounge and start again on a transit ....

I thought MAG had reversed this and now display gate information 1 hour prior to departure? I get where you're coming from though, considering the majority of FR flights leave from SAT3, and this will probably only get worse once the transit is taken out of service and the new skylink walkways built. Maybe MAG could have screens indicating which SAT a flight would be leaving from and could save the stress of passengers accidentally going to the wrong satellite. Then again, they'd probably just prefer to have passengers in the departure lounge for as long as possible to spend ££s.

Alsacienne
16th Aug 2023, 10:42
......... and it would be good to have enough 'floating' MAG staff in each satellite to help those who took the transit wrongly or got off at the incorrect stop to get to where they should be ... and as quickly and efficiently as possible ....

STN406
16th Aug 2023, 11:31
They don’t have gate information on the TTS platform as it would attract all passengers to look here and would inevitable get more passengers riding the TTS that don’t need to.

If you use your brain then the signage is good especially above TTS it’s clear the direction to each gate area. I flew through the south terminal at Gatwick in January and signage there is not good at all.

Yes the airport does display the gates 1 hour before departing flights. Some flights are displayed before this. Gate 90-93 and Gates 51-59 for example are displayed prior to an hour before departure.

I agree stansted should have some signage in other languages. But not many UK airport do. I know a project to upgrade the PA systems at Stansted is in the works which will allow for any announcements to be translated in any language.

davidjohnson6
16th Aug 2023, 11:45
New route - Ryanair to Poprad-Tatry for winter 2023-24

Droidd
20th Aug 2023, 01:10
Turkish Airlines moving to Skytanking from the 30th of September.

Unsure if this is for Cargo as well, I don’t think Skytanking can handle widebodies.

JW95
20th Aug 2023, 08:21
Turkish Airlines moving to Skytanking from the 30th of September.

Unsure if this is for Cargo as well, I don’t think Skytanking can handle widebodies.

I didn’t know that Turkish Airlines had resumed regular passenger flights to STN?

Keanaga
20th Aug 2023, 09:02
Yep they do through Anadolu jet,big coup big loss for respective handedness.

Regards.

Keanaga
20th Aug 2023, 09:03
Handerlers even

STN406
20th Aug 2023, 09:20
I didn’t know that Turkish Airlines had resumed regular passenger flights to STN?

Obviously haven’t seen AnadoluJet, Turkish Airlines subsidiary flying to Stansted multiple times a day for years or the multiple weekly Turkish Airlines cargo flight either.

Alsacienne
20th Aug 2023, 10:58
Many thanks for the update about showing the gate number one hour before departure! I will be far less stressed than before next time I fly out of STN. However, the gate change situation in the FR wing is still reminiscent of a herd of wildebeest charging across the plains of the Serengeti !!!

STN406
20th Aug 2023, 12:13
Many thanks for the update about showing the gate number one hour before departure! I will be far less stressed than before next time I fly out of STN. However, the gate change situation in the FR wing is still reminiscent of a herd of wildebeest charging across the plains of the Serengeti !!!

Believe that’s the same at any airport when a gates gets changed last minute and not just a Stansted related issue though.

JW95
20th Aug 2023, 21:52
Obviously haven’t seen AnadoluJet, Turkish Airlines subsidiary flying to Stansted multiple times a day for years or the multiple weekly Turkish Airlines cargo flight either.
just to clarify- I’ve been aware that AnadoluJet have been flying to STN multiple times daily for some time now, in addition to TK Cargo. I wasn’t aware that TK Mainline had been flying to STN in place of some of the AnadoluJet services 🙂

Keanaga
21st Aug 2023, 04:28
Hi I think it's the whole brand changing handling company not the colour scheme of the plane.

Regards

STN406
21st Aug 2023, 05:11
just to clarify- I’ve been aware that AnadoluJet have been flying to STN multiple times daily for some time now, in addition to TK Cargo. I wasn’t aware that TK Mainline had been flying to STN in place of some of the AnadoluJet services 🙂

No one mentioned mainline. They mentioned Turkish Airlines which is the company that controls AnadoluJet and Turkish Cargo. All arrangements for these two airlines is done by Turkish Airlines not them as individuals.

As mentioned Turkish Airlines is looking to make AnadoluJet independent shortly which would cause them to take control of the ground handling contracts.

STN406
21st Aug 2023, 05:26
Jet2 will start two new routes to stansted on a limited seasonal basis for Christmas markets in Prague and Vienna. Beginning 30th NOV and 23rd NOV respectively both until the 17th DEC.
Flights are on sale now. Nice little addition for Jet2 hopefully they can add these permanently and compete with Ryanair alike the Athens and Rome flights recently added.

Prague:
Thursday Flight:
LS1581 STN 0915-1205 PRG
LS1582 PRG 1255-1350 STN
Sunday Flight:
LS1581 STN 1510-1800 PRG
LS1582 PRG 1845-1940 STN

Vienna:
Thursday Flight:
LS1583 STN 0930-1245 VIE
LS1584 VIE 1335-1500 STN
Sunday Flight:
LS1583 STN 1400-1715 VIE
LS1584 VIE 1805-1930 STN

Kiltrash
21st Aug 2023, 19:07
We flew into Stansted at 7pm yesterday, and once through passport control thought the check in area was a bit busy and even a group of 6 Police monitoring the area I thought, hmm has there been a incident. Then noticed what appeared to be more 'helpers' for passenger queries. Went to our pick up area and our driver told us it was much busier than normal.
Further research told the story. A Fire Alarm at the Station had knocked out the signalling system at 3pm ish and there were no trains till at least 11pm. They were doing Bus replacement to Bishops Stortford and National Express etc to London. So no doubt chaos was reigning supreme.
I expect people had struggled to get to the airport and had missed their flights and were looking to re book, so explaining the check in area...
Oh the joys of flying....

pabely
21st Aug 2023, 20:12
I was surprised this was not reported here at the time. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/stansted-airport-power-cut-delays-b2396306.html

tartan 201
22nd Aug 2023, 18:12
I see Emirates are advertising for a 'Lounge Supervisor': https://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/search-and-apply/387522

STN406
23rd Aug 2023, 03:43
I see Emirates are advertising for a 'Lounge Supervisor': https://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/search-and-apply/387522

Yes as mentioned numerous times before Emirates are taking the unfitted out area between gates 5/6 and 11/12. Should be open towards the end of the year.

AirportPlanner1
23rd Aug 2023, 07:26
Other than it looking like the route will be staying for a while does this give any clues as to future intentions? Eg increase to 3x daily, A380? What is the normal threshold for this type of appointment elsewhere in their network?

STN406
23rd Aug 2023, 14:39
Other than it looking like the route will be staying for a while does this give any clues as to future intentions? Eg increase to 3x daily, A380? What is the normal threshold for this type of appointment elsewhere in their network?

Don’t understand your first point. What has given indications that they wouldn’t stay at Stansted ?
Pre-covid Emirates had agreed that they would go up to 4 daily flights within a set time period can’t remember what this was exactly but it was over a couple of years. But this had certain parameters for MAG. I remember these being the capacity for a lounge, a double airbridge and the airport having a porter service for the first and business class passengers, they had other requests but can’t remember what they where now.

JW95
31st Aug 2023, 14:12
Don’t understand your first point. What has given indications that they wouldn’t stay at Stansted ?
Pre-covid Emirates had agreed that they would go up to 4 daily flights within a set time period can’t remember what this was exactly but it was over a couple of years. But this had certain parameters for MAG. I remember these being the capacity for a lounge, a double airbridge and the airport having a porter service for the first and business class passengers, they had other requests but can’t remember what they where now.
I'd agree with STN406- EK certainly have done very well at STN since launching here in 2018 and I am confident that they are here to stay- as has been indicated previously, I wouldn't be surprised to see additional frequencies being added to the existing 2 daily 77W operation. On the question of the A388 coming to STN, it certainly is possible, now that MAG have the necessary infrastructure (dual jet bridges) in place to cater to the aircraft. Perhaps EK would first opt to add an additional 77W frequency and then upgauge one of the 2 existing flights to the A380? Time will tell :)

STN406
3rd Sep 2023, 06:35
Heard from a friend in Airfield Ops last night, that last nights FX34 to CDG would be the last time FedEx would operate the type to Stansted on scheduled operations.
Same if this is the case. Do love seeing the MD11’s.

pabely
3rd Sep 2023, 10:31
Heard from a friend in Airfield Ops last night, that last nights FX34 to CDG would be the last time FedEx would operate the type to Stansted on scheduled operations.
I believe the airport fire services gave it a water salute on departure.

pamann
3rd Sep 2023, 14:47

Not many three engined beauties in the skies these days. I noticed the other day how the wing mounted engines on the MD-11 look so small compared to the more modern twin engined aircraft of similar size.

STN406
3rd Sep 2023, 14:55
I believe the airport fire services gave it a water salute on departure.

I would have expected them to have done.

Droidd
3rd Sep 2023, 15:47
https://twitter.com/picsthomasgg/status/1698073399442989390

Pictures of the water salute.

Flightmech
4th Sep 2023, 10:14
It's off the schedule for now (replaced by the 777) but I wouldn't say STN will never see one again......

_aax1
5th Sep 2023, 07:29
Both Geneva and Zurich appearing on easyJet website as new seasonal routes

davidjohnson6
18th Sep 2023, 20:01
Both Maastricht and Vaxjo disappear from the schedules during winter 2023-24. I'm aware that S24 schedules are not fully published, so not possible to infer 100% from the FR website what will and won't be flown next year. Anyone able to say definitively if these routes are coming back or not ?
TBH - I'm surprised that STN-Orebro is being flown in W23/24 but not STN-Vaxjo - unless there's a big pile of "marketing subsidy" cash somewhere

STN406
21st Sep 2023, 15:24
QR are upgrading to a B748 for 3 flights in October on the 12th/19th/26th (QR8446/7 DOH-STN-OSL).

Sotonsean
21st Sep 2023, 16:53
QR are upgrading to a B748 for 3 flights in October on the 12th/19th/26th ⁹ DOH-STN-OSL).

Regarding cargo at London Stansted.

I've viewed some recently uploaded footage on YouTube over the last few weeks from Stansted showing various cargo movements. Several of those cargo movements I viewed got my attention.

Have Martinair KLM resumed regular cargo flights?

Are the Air Belgium/Hongyuan Group B74F flight's operated on a scheduled basis?

Have the CMA CGM A330F flights been operated on behalf of the Hongyuan Group or just ad-hoc cargo flights.

I would be very interested if there was a full and complete updated cargo schedule for London Stansted to view or download.

London Stansted has quite a variety of scheduled cargo flights from various carriers including the following.

Asiana
ASL
Cargolux
China Cargo Airlines
China Southern Airlines
DHL
FedEx
Qatar Airways Cargo
Silk Ways Airlines Cargo
Turkish Airlines Cargo
Turkmenistan Airlines
UPS
West Atlantic

Are there any other scheduled cargo carrier's currently operating to London Stansted that I have missed on the above list?

In the past London Stansted has seen various scheduled cargo flights operated by quite a variety of airlines including the following.

Aeroflot Cargo
Aerologic
Air France Cargo
Astral Aviation
British Airways World Cargo
Cathay Pacific Airways Cargo
Dragonair Cargo
Egyptair Cargo
Emery Worldwide Airlines
Etihad Cargo
GSS Global Supply Systems
Hong Kong Airlines Cargo
Korean Air Cargo
Japan Airlines Cargo
Lufthansa Cargo
Martinair Cargo
MK Airlines
NCA Nippon Cargo Airlines
Singapore Airlines Cargo

Are there any carrier's that previously operated "scheduled" cargo flights to London Stansted that have I missed on the above list?

Looking towards the future, are there any possible new cargo entrants to initiate service to London Stansted?

Maybe the following carrier's could be possible contenders. All suggestive more than anything else.

Air Canada Cargo
ANA Cargo (NCA Nippon Cargo Airlines recently been bought out by ANA)
Ethiopian Airlines Cargo
Latam Cargo
Saudia Airlines Cargo

All of the above airline's are currently expanding their worldwide cargo operations both with new aircraft and new routes. None of the above airline's currently serve the UK market with "dedicated and scheduled" cargo flights.

STN406
21st Sep 2023, 17:10
KLM/Martinair have not returned. Don’t believe they have had scheduled service since pre covid.

Air Belgium have been operating three times a week using B748’s and A332’s.

ASL and West Atlantic operate on contracts with Royal Mail, DHL and FedEx. Both have occasional charter flights but nothing scheduled themselves.

CMA CGN operates for Turkish Airlines and flying under Turkish flight numbers.

Also to note Ethiopian Cargo does go into LHR plus a number of the other airlines you’ve mentioned will use belly freight space on their own passengers operations.

Sotonsean
21st Sep 2023, 17:23
KLM/Martinair have not returned. Don’t believe they have had scheduled service since pre covid.

Air Belgium have been operating three times a week using B748’s and A332’s.

ASL and West Atlantic operate on contracts with Royal Mail, DHL and FedEx. Both have occasional charter flights but nothing scheduled themselves.

CMA CGN operates for Turkish Airlines and flying under Turkish flight numbers.

Many thanks for the very quick response 👍

I know that I shouldn't have really added ASL and West Atlantic to the list. I added them knowing full well that they operate on behalf DHL, FedEx and the Royal Mail.

So the Air Belgium/Hongyuan Group flights are indeed scheduled flights.

Many thanks for quickly responding and sharing the information, it's much appreciated.

In the various footage I've recently viewed on YouTube I've seen a couple of KLM Martinair B74F movements.

I've also noticed that there have been some recent KLM Martinair B74F flight's at London Stansted on flightradar24. Those flights have been operated by a B74F and usually been on a Sunday if I remember correctly.

All of the above was the reason to ask if KLM Martinair had actually resumed dedicated scheduled cargo flights to London Stansted.

Obviously I'm well aware of airlines taking "under belly" cargo including those particular airlines I mentioned.

I wasn't aware of the fact that Ethiopian Airlines operate "dedicated scheduled cargo" flights into London Heathrow. Regarding the other potential airlines I mentioned, none of them don't hence why I added them as possible contenders.

pabely
21st Sep 2023, 21:29
I think the KLM Martinair B74F movements are for racehorses so irregular.
Ethiopian Airlines might find spare slots at LHR hard to get hold of soon, so they might need a new home.

Sotonsean
21st Sep 2023, 22:15
I think the KLM Martinair B74F movements are for racehorses so irregular.
Ethiopian Airlines might find spare slots at LHR hard to get hold of soon, so they might need a new home.

Thanks for the added information regarding the recent KLM Martinair movements at STN. I should imagine that they were probably racehorse related.

I too was thinking exactly the same regarding Ethiopian Airlines. Hence why I added them to my list👍

STN406
25th Sep 2023, 15:24
SunExpress will add two more routes to join Izmir (Starting this winter) and Antalya (starting in the summer).
These will be Adana and Gaziantep. Adana seasonal and Gaziantep year round.

Adana – London Stansted 24MAY24 – 13SEP24 1 weekly 737-800
XQ1612 ADA1630 – 1920STN 73H 5
XQ1613 STN2030 – 0255+1ADA 73H 5

Gaziantep – London Stansted eff 02APR24 1 weekly 737-800 (Schedule below effective 22MAY24)
XQ742 GZT1530 – 1820STN 73H 3
XQ743 STN1930 – 0200+1GZT 73H 3

*information from Airline Routes

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230925-xqns24

Good to see SunExpress further expand before starting the new two new routes. Hopefully more to come. Also two destinations not been served at Stansted on a regular schedule since KTHY I believe.

sewushr
25th Sep 2023, 15:28
There has been one KLM Cargo (Martinair) flight to Stansted this year and, as posted previously, it was a one-off horse charter. FR24 has a habit of showing flights that don't exist!

Also, Turkmenistan Airlines has not (yet) operated any cargo flights to Stansted this year.

davidjohnson6
25th Sep 2023, 19:56
Will SunExpress really fly to Adana... or is it more likely to be to the (soon to be completed) Cukurova airport nearby instead ?
I'm wondering if Trabzon or Kayseri might also see non-stop 1x or 2x weekly to the UK in 2024

LTNman
27th Sep 2023, 18:50
https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2023/09/27/plan-in-for-stansted-airport-terminal-extension/

Manchester Airports Group has submitted plans to extend the iconic Norman Foster-designed terminal at Stansted Airport.

pabely
27th Sep 2023, 21:36
Wasn't this covered from the post #1094?

Sotonsean
27th Sep 2023, 21:51
Wasn't this covered from from post #1094?

Yes I believe it was fully covered in previous post's including the one you have quoted.

But, plans were officially submitted by MAG this week. The previous post's mentioned that outline planning permission would be submitted at the end of September..

The previous post's discussed the vague plans and child like drawings of the proposed terminal expansion.

Now that the official plans have been submitted we just have to wait and see. But I have no doubt that planning permission will be granted.

STN406
28th Sep 2023, 11:08
Yes I believe it was fully covered in previous post's including the one you have quoted.

But, plans were officially submitted by MAG this week. The previous post's mentioned that outline planning permission would be submitted at the end of September..

The previous post's discussed the vague plans and child like drawings of the proposed terminal expansion.

Now that the official plans have been submitted we just have to wait and see. But I have no doubt that planning permission will be granted.

Planning application was submitted to local authorities in early august and has been available for all to view since then. Don’t know where you got last week from ?

Sotonsean
28th Sep 2023, 11:12
Planning application was submitted to local authorities in early august and has been available for all to view since then. Don’t know where you got last week from ?

Thanks for the clarification. To be honest i don't know where I got last week from 🤔

Sotonsean
28th Sep 2023, 17:00
Obviously a lack of knowledge and research then. Guess this explains why you said it would be rejected.

No where in ANY of my posts have I mentioned or suggested that it would be rejected.

If you could find any remarks relating to that in any of my posts I'd appreciate you posting it for all to see.

I stated in my earlier post this comment "I have no doubt that it will be granted".

Your tone was totally uncalled for in my opinion and seems to become the norm of late. What happened as it never used to be like that. Your reply was obviously you being flippant but I take it you know the difference between "granted and rejected" 🤔

As far as "lack of knowledge and research"! What type of comment is that!

We share our information here on pprune in a civilised manner. I'm obviously not local to STN but it's an airport I've always taken a lot of interest in since my first visit in 1980.

As far as research is concerned, I usually do but it was obviously a mistake on my part thinking the application was submitted last week. Oh silly me, it certainly fluttered your feathers.

Stanstedinsider24
19th Oct 2023, 16:31
Jet2 to add Marrakesh and Agadir from next October.
Nice to see Jet2 starting a new country. Hopefully more to come.

Stanstedinsider24
21st Oct 2023, 02:56
Southwind will start as a new airlines to Stansted next year adding flights to AYT from 29/03 at 4 weekly and going up to daily 10/05. Also looks like DLM will also be added.
Nice addition and another new airline. Fingers crossed for some more new airlines/routes to be added soon 🤞🏻

Stanstedinsider24
21st Oct 2023, 06:49
Another nice addition for SUM24. Aurigny will resume STN from GCI 3 times a week!
Great to have Aurigny back and seeing GCI on the boards again!

Sotonsean
23rd Oct 2023, 13:20
London Stansted Airport currently has two long haul airline's serving two long haul destinations.

London Stansted is to lose Turkmenistan Airlines as the airline has announced that their London flight will move to London Heathrow.

From the 04 November 2023 Turkmenistan Airlines will operate Ashgabat to London Heathrow Airport replacing it's existing service to London Stansted.

T5427 ASB 12.00 LHR 14.00 73H 6
T5428 LHR 15.20 ASB 02.30+1 73H 6

Turkmenistan Airlines last served London Heathrow until February 2019.

It's a shame to see yet another long haul airline leave London Stansted but in my opinion this latest news is not totally unexpected.

davidjohnson6
23rd Oct 2023, 13:36
Turkmenistan Airlines is very unlikely to provide any sort of significant growth or strategic connectivity for STN... it's very much not a tourist destination (unless like me, you're interested in the obscure). Doesn't seem like an airline loss that STN should worry about.

inOban
23rd Oct 2023, 13:40
This may not be the best thread but is prompted by the previous post.
The Seasonal Agricultural labour force is now, I understand being increasingly supplied from the -Stans, replacing Eastern Europe who now have no surplus labour How are they getting here?

Sotonsean
23rd Oct 2023, 14:09
Turkmenistan Airlines is very unlikely to provide any sort of significant growth or strategic connectivity for STN... it's very much not a tourist destination (unless like me, you're interested in the obscure). Doesn't seem like an airline loss that STN should worry about.

It's an airline loss in the fact that it's another long-haul airline and long haul destination to leave London Stansted.

Turkmenistan Airlines flying between Ashgabat and London was not about significant growth or strategic connectivity, regardless of what London airport the airline serves.

You're obviously aware of the country by your comments, so I don't need to explain anything further. (FYI, you're not alone in being interested in the obscure)

I don't think anyone is worrying either.

But I don't think that Stansted Airport management would have wanted to lose Turkmenistan Airlines from their airline portfolio and route network.

It might have only been a weekly flight flown by a national carrier to an obscure country. But it was a long haul flight from a national carrier, something of which Stansted Airport managemnent have stated in the past that they are keen on attracting.

No one is probably worrying, so no need to worry yourself, disappointed maybe, probably especially STN management, but they are more than likely not worrying.

Keanaga
23rd Oct 2023, 14:18
They been using a B777 on the flight at Stn which was much fuller in the belly than in the cabin only gonna use a B737 at Lhr so not much freight uplift there. They do hold slots for thier cargo at Stn Sundays I think but not sure its turned up yet maybe it will after the pax flight goes.

Regards.

vectisman
23rd Oct 2023, 15:39
I wonder how profitable a once weekly flight to and from Heathrow, that is far more expensive than Stansted, will be for the airline.

pamann
23rd Oct 2023, 15:48

Agreed.

Pax figures are often single figures from what I’ve seen. It won’t be profitable at Stansted (from the pax deck). It certainly won’t be profitable at Heathrow.

Keanaga
23rd Oct 2023, 16:18
During the summer jul/Aug it had a couple of weeks with 100/200 on the flights hut as said normally in 20's tn 50's.

Regards.

Skipness One Foxtrot
23rd Oct 2023, 18:18
They been using a B777 on the flight at Stn which was much fuller in the belly than in the cabin only gonna use a B737 at Lhr so not much freight uplift there. They do hold slots for thier cargo at Stn Sundays I think but not sure its turned up yet maybe it will after the pax flight goes.

Regards.
It was a long time LHR flight that ended up at STN when they were banned from EU airspace and the slots were (I assume) lost. The B77L was not uncommon at LHR back in the day. No strategic damage to STN I would say.

AirportPlanner1
23rd Oct 2023, 19:22
Probably also worth nothing that using LHR will be a matter of pride. Profit/loss will likely be secondary given its Government ownership. Not sure what fares they charge but I’d imagine the agricultural workers (who are spread thinly round the country) will be taking the cheap way home even if it’s 2+ stops on Ryanair, Wizz, Pegasus etc

GayFriendly
24th Oct 2023, 10:23
Turkmen prior to COVID and then being banned from airspace served both LHR and BHX and did so for many years starting off with 737, then 757 and 777 (the latter only occasionally seen at BHX). The BHX service was 4 X weekly and had very high LF's. The reason: they operated ASB-ATQ and DEL which filled the flights from BHX

I can't speak for LHR but AI arrived at BHX and have seemingly mopped up on the BHX-ATQ and DEL routes since resuming flights post COVID, although they both co-existed at BHX happily enough before 2020.

T5 don't fly onward to either ATQ or DEL anymore hence the lack of pax from STN and I assume now LHR. BHX without a connection to ATQ will never return and even if it did, AI are now dominant on the route.

A 1 X weekly LHR service is but a shadow of what they operated to/from the UK prior to 2020.

pabely
1st Nov 2023, 11:03
Fully approved by Gov https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-67279365

JW95
4th Nov 2023, 22:11
Fully approved by Gov https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-67279365

Excellent news, and certainly a positive step in the right direction for STN :) Having just flown from STN over half term, it is now very clear that the terminal can no longer cope with current passenger through flow (that is also continuing to increase), so hopefully the extension will alleviate overcrowding in the departure lounge and arrivals hall. Having used the TTS multiple times, I'll be a bit sad to see this go, as this helped cut journey times to/from the satellites for years, hopefully walking times won't be too bad once the new skylinks open. Are MAG set to begin work on the project imminently? Now that planning permission has been secured, hopefully it won't be long before more detailed design plans become available :) Hopefully this time MAG will also be investing in modernising SAT 2 and possibly SAT 3.

pabely
5th Nov 2023, 01:19
Probally a few years of misery though, but arn't most airports now.

daz211
5th Nov 2023, 06:42
Probally a few years of misery though, but arn't most airports now.
I think most of the work can be done outside in, with the joining up at the end with minimal inconvenience.
The walk way can be built and also joined up practically overnight, with no need to stop the TTS.
I have witnessed 2 terminal extensions over the years and from in side the terminal you wouldn’t even know work was going on.

MANFAN
6th Nov 2023, 11:19
Why aren’t there electronic barriers at the airport’s train station? Twice I’ve used Stansted in the past few months and queues to have your ticket manually checked by 1 or 2 people is horrendous!

Stanstedinsider24
6th Nov 2023, 16:43
Why aren’t there electronic barriers at the airport’s train station? Twice I’ve used Stansted in the past few months and queues to have your ticket manually checked by 1 or 2 people is horrendous!

Nothing to do with the airport. Greater Anglia the train operator controls the area. Airport management has little to do with its operation.

Paulesx
6th Nov 2023, 17:56
Have it from a reliable source , EK will be 3x daily from stansted from 1 April , along with opening of an EK loungue @ STN

JW95
6th Nov 2023, 20:44
Have it from a reliable source , EK will be 3x daily from stansted from 1 April , along with opening of an EK loungue @ STN

Excellent! :) I'm assuming the 3rd flight will also likely be on the 77W with the new F cabin?

strawberry Ribena
7th Nov 2023, 08:58

logically it will be EK69/70 arriving 0700-0800 departing around 9:30-10am

Buster the Bear
9th Nov 2023, 19:28
https://aviationsourcenews.com/airline/skyalps-to-launch-bolzano-london-stansted-route/

Sotonsean
9th Nov 2023, 20:36
https://aviationsourcenews.com/airline/skyalps-to-launch-bolzano-london-stansted-route/

A new route as well as a new airline to London Stansted. But this was originally announced on aeroroutes.com on 23rd August 2023.

A few people on here including myself discussed it at the time. It's even been listed on the London Stansted Wikipedia page since it was first announced. It seems a lot of other outlets are late to the game regarding this new airline announcement.

Hopefully this new route will be a success and not end up the same way as so many ill fated routes previously attempted from secondary airports in Switzerland.

Keanaga
9th Nov 2023, 23:28
Hi it's in Italy.

Regards.

Sotonsean
9th Nov 2023, 23:35
Hi it's in Italy.

Regards.

You are absolutely one hundred percent correct 👌

I put my hands up for making such a mistake.

I don't know what was going on in my mind when I was thinking that Bolzano was in Switzerland. The city of Bolzano situated in northern Italy in the South Tryol is actually closer to the Austrian border than it is to Switzerland.

jensdad
10th Nov 2023, 01:38
I don't know what was going on in my mind when I was thinking that Bolzano was in Switzerland.
Thinking of Bellinzona maybe? That's a nice little place in the Ticino region of Switzerland.

davidjohnson6
10th Nov 2023, 01:59
The market for SkyAlps on London-Bolzano is similiar to Skywork on London-Bern

Stanstedinsider24
13th Nov 2023, 19:05
CSA Czech Airlines will begin a limited run of charters in January.

‘9 round-trip flights are scheduled on board Airbus A320 aircraft. The following schedule only covers 01-07JAN24.

OK648/QS8648 PRG1200 – 1250STN 320 01JAN24 / 02JAN24
OK648/QS8648 PRG1745 – 1835STN 320 07JAN24

OK649/QS8649 STN1335 – 1620PRG 320 01JAN24 / 02JAN24
OK649/QS8649 STN1920 – 2205PRG 320 07JAN24’

Information from Aeroroutes.

davidjohnson6
14th Nov 2023, 09:31
CSA Czech Airlines are coming back to STN... briefly
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/231113-oknw23stn

Stanstedinsider24
21st Nov 2023, 12:17
A very nice addition. Hopefully they will continue into the summer schedule.

Royal Jordanian in March 2024 schedules additional service to the UK, including flights to London Stansted and Manchester, based on schedule listing.

Amman – London Stansted 03MAR24 – 27MAR24 2 weekly A319/320
RJ113 AMM1015 – 1240STN 319 7
RJ113 AMM1030 – 1255STN 320 3

RJ114 STN1400 – 2155AMM 319 7
RJ114 STN1415 – 2210AMM 320 3

Information from Aeroroutes

JW95
21st Nov 2023, 15:48
Anyone know if there is any further information/images of STN's upcoming terminal extension programme, now that the airport has formally been granted planning permission? (other than the sketches that are featured on the STN website under the public consultation page). I also wonder if any satellite upgrades will be included?

CabinCrewe
21st Nov 2023, 17:23

Royal Jordanian in March 2024 schedules additional service to the UK, including flights to London Stansted and Manchester, based on schedule listing.

Will watch the longevity of that one with interest….

ATNotts
21st Nov 2023, 17:51
Will watch the longevity of that one with interest….
With the current instability just over the Jordanian border I'm not sure summer 2024 is a good time to launch these routes. Time will tell.

Stanstedinsider24
21st Nov 2023, 20:04
Anyone know if there is any further information/images of STN's upcoming terminal extension programme, now that the airport has formally been granted planning permission? (other than the sketches that are featured on the STN website under the public consultation page). I also wonder if any satellite upgrades will be included?

Nothing has been made public. Staff should be shown further plans in due course. Management would like works to begin in December. But find this unlikely, unless its basic ground works.

pabely
21st Nov 2023, 21:19

Don't understand this unless 787s in for maintenance in March so loss of capacity on LHR & MAN routes?
They are already feeling the pinch with Wizzair on London route.

chaps1954
22nd Nov 2023, 13:02
Doesn`t seem a problem with a320 to CDG, FRA,AMS so why should STN or MAN

Paulesx
27th Nov 2023, 14:02
Don't understand this unless 787s in for maintenance in March so loss of capacity on LHR & MAN routes?
They are already feeling the pinch with Wizzair on London route.

so seems the RJ flights are now loaded and bookable in the GDS , below example being Apr based on mix of 320/ 319 / 321 4 x p/w Tue / Thurs / Fri / Sun

Outbound
02APR TUE STN/Z‡1 AMM/‡2
1RJ 114 J9 C9 D9 Z9 I9 Y9 B9*STNAMM 1545 2235 320 S 0 TF /E
P9 H9 W9 K9 R9 M9 L9 V9

04APR THU STN/Z‡1 AMM/‡2
1RJ 114 J9 C9 D9 Z9 I9 Y9 B9*STNAMM 1545 2235 319 S 0 Q /E
P9 H9 W9 K9 R9 M9 L9 V9

05APR FRI STN/Z‡1 AMM/‡2
1RJ 114 J9 C9 D9 Z9 I9 Y9 B9*STNAMM 1545 2235 320 S 0 TF /E
P9 H9 W9 K9 R9 M9 L9 V9

07APR SUN STN/Z‡1 AMM/‡2
1RJ 114 J9 C9 D9 Z9 I9 Y9 B9*STNAMM 1545 2235 321 S 0 S /E
P9 H9 W9 K9 R9 M9 L9 V9

Return
02APR TUE AMM/Z‡3 STN/-2
1RJ 113 J9 C9 D9 Z9 I9 Y9 B9*AMMSTN 1115 1420 320 S 0 TF /E
P9 H9 W9 K9 R9 M9 L9 V9

04APR THU AMM/Z‡3 STN/-2
1RJ 113 J9 C9 D9 Z9 I9 Y9 B9*AMMSTN 1115 1420 319 S 0 Q /E
P9 H9 W9 K9 R9 M9 L9 V9

05APR FRI AMM/Z‡3 STN/-2
1RJ 113 J9 C9 D9 Z9 I9 Y9 B9*AMMSTN 1115 1420 320 S 0 TF /E
P9 H9 W9 K9 R9 M9 L9 V9

07APR SUN AMM/Z‡3 STN/-2
1RJ 113 J9 C9 D9 Z9 I9 Y9 B9*AMMSTN 1115 1420 321 S 0 S /E
P9 H9 W9 K9 R9 M9 L9 V9

pabely
27th Nov 2023, 16:55
Doesn`t seem a problem with a320 to CDG, FRA,AMS so why should STN or MAN
Wasn't saying it was a issue for the aircraft, was this because 787 unavailable for LHR so no longer 287 seats from there. Time will tell if a reduction in equipment occurs at LHR during April.

Paulesx
27th Nov 2023, 17:12
Wasn't saying it was an issue for the aircraft, was this because 787 unavailable for LHR so no longer 287 seats from there. Time will tell if a reduction in equipment occurs at LHR during April.

GDS currently showing daily LHR - AMM flight still operating with 787,( of course things can change ) so looks like the STN - AMM is either extra capacity or has been put in to scrap it out against the Wizz LTN -AMM flights

chaps1954
27th Nov 2023, 17:16
Why should they downgrade the LHR flights, they have been planning a MAN flight for a couple of years now and STN is because no more slots available at LHR so any expansion has to be either LGW or STN, the same situation arises with Ethiopian who do MAN and LGW

pabely
27th Nov 2023, 18:41
The original post showed this as March 2024 only - if this is a permanent route then that is a different story.

Stanstedinsider24
28th Nov 2023, 01:47
Internal airport flight schedule system is showing 4 weekly flights through out March but no flights loaded for April. All flights are showing as A319’s

chaps1954
28th Nov 2023, 08:33
The Manchester route which was posted at same time is starting in March 1 weekly then April 2 weekly and then October 3 weekly A320 so I guess STN will work the same way

Keanaga
29th Nov 2023, 15:23
Hi Ryanair to offer Dubrovnik and Sarajevo from next April 3 and 6 a week respectively.

Regards .

Stanstedinsider24
5th Dec 2023, 05:43
Looks like RJ will be staying throughout the summer. Hopefully Stansted can retain this route and keep it going.

Royal Jordanian in last week’s schedule update extended schedule listing for its planned Amman – London Stansted route, scheduled from 03MAR24. Previously reported, the oneWorld member initially operates 2 weekly flights with Airbus A319 aircraft.

This has since been expanded to 3 weekly, with 4th weekly flight scheduled from 31MAR24. During Northern summer 2024 season, A320 aircraft operates this route, although certain dates will see A319 or A321 operating.

Following schedule is effective 16JUL24 – 31JUL24.

RJ113 AMM1115 – 1420STN 320 x136
RJ114 STN1545 – 2235AMM 320 x136

Info from Aeroroutes:
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/231204-rj1q24stn

nguba
11th Dec 2023, 19:52
Have seen reports elsewhere that BA CEO Sean Doyle announced at a media event tonight that BA CityFlyer will return to Stansted, launching Florence, Ibiza and Nice.

Markushillman
11th Dec 2023, 20:24
Have seen reports elsewhere that BA CEO Sean Doyle announced at a media event tonight that BA CityFlyer will return to Stansted, launching Florence, Ibiza and Nice.

Correct, credit to SeanM1997 on X

Rutan16
12th Dec 2023, 04:50

Direct consequence of the failure of City to secure extended Saturday operating hours one presumes

LGWAlan
12th Dec 2023, 11:50
NCE-STN Saturday 1120-1220 BA2332
STN-NCE Sunday 0835-1135 BA2333

IBZ-STN Saturday 1135-1305 BA7308
STN-IBZ Sunday 1500-1825 BA7309

FLR-STN Saturday 1615-1730 BA7016
STN-FLR Sunday 0755-1110 BA7017

Amadeus timetables has the above listed

Downwind_Left
12th Dec 2023, 11:55
Direct consequence of the failure of City to secure extended Saturday operating hours one presumes

I think it’s more likely to be capacity removed from the SOU market as a reduction in routes/capacity for S24 there was made a few weeks back. I don’t think anyone expected LCY opening hours to be extended anytime soon.

There is already a 190 in STN at the weekend for the Calvi charter, so these flights avoid the need to position that aircraft in as happened in S23, plus I guess there’s scope for other flying if felt viable.

Rutan16
12th Dec 2023, 19:24
I think it’s more likely to be capacity removed from the SOU market as a reduction in routes/capacity for S24 there was made a few weeks back. I don’t think anyone expected LCY opening hours to be extended anytime soon.

There is already a 190 in STN at the weekend for the Calvi charter, so these flights avoid the need to position that aircraft in as happened in S23, plus I guess there’s scope for other flying if felt viable.

Not true the application to the local councils was specifically for summer 2024

Thats simply the same scenario Southampton operates largely during the City curfew times . And from a staffing point of view probably more economical to bus them up the M11 than overnight Scottish crews in Southampton.

Harrych
19th Dec 2023, 15:11
Emirates

I’ve noticed since the 1st Dec that Emirates have stopped operating their 777’s with the Game Changer First Class to STN does anyone know if this is permanent as I thought this was one of the ways they marketed first class from STN?

Jet Set Willie
21st Dec 2023, 07:06
Not true the application to the local councils was specifically for summer 2024

Thats simply the same scenario Southampton operates largely during the City curfew times . And from a staffing point of view probably more economical to bus them up the M11 than overnight Scottish crews in Southampton.

Not been any Scottish crews since Covid I'm afraid. You are right though that the 30 mins run up the M11 is much better than the god awful 4 hour drive to SOU on a Friday afternoon. Looks like they will save a few pennies on their hotel bills with this compared to SOU.

davidjohnson6
22nd Dec 2023, 17:05
SkyAlps started their route to Bolzano a little over a week ago. Does anyone have a rough idea of loads or how it's doing ? Preferably without using the cliche about loads being above expectations :-)

Keanaga
23rd Dec 2023, 02:48
Last Wednesday can't remember the inbound but outbound was 55.

Regards.

Stanstedinsider24
24th Dec 2023, 06:47
Passenger loads listed below.

13/12 BZO-STN 28 Pax
13/12 STN-BZO 19 Pax
17/12 BZO-STN 17 Pax
17/12 STN-BZO 43 Pax
20/12 BZO-STN 21 Pax
20/12 STN-BZO 52 Pax

AirportPlanner1
24th Dec 2023, 12:46
Passenger loads listed below.

13/12 BZO-STN 28 Pax
13/12 STN-BZO 19 Pax
17/12 BZO-STN 17 Pax
17/12 STN-BZO 43 Pax
20/12 BZO-STN 21 Pax
20/12 STN-BZO 52 Pax

The route probably started a week too early

Stanstedinsider24
30th Dec 2023, 10:18
Lufthansa will begin regular operations to Munich in the summer schedule. Flights to operate 5 times a week from 01/04/24 to 26/10/24 Schedule below.

LH 2494 07:20 Mon A
LH 2495 08:15 Mon D
LH 2494 18:30 Thu A
LH 2495 19:10 Thu D
LH 2494 07:20 Fri A
LH 2495 08:10 Fri D
LH 2494 08:25 Sat A
LH 2495 08:55 Sat D
LH 2494 17:25 Sun A
LH 2495 18:30 Sun D

Flights are not available to book yet but slots showing on 'Chroma AODB' at Stansted.

ericlday
30th Dec 2023, 10:22
Lufthansa will begin regular operations in the summer schedule. Flights to operate 5 times a week from 01/04/24 to 26/10/24 Schedule below.

LH 2494 07:20 Mon A
LH 2495 08:15 Mon D
LH 2494 18:30 Thu A
LH 2495 19:10 Thu D
LH 2494 07:20 Fri A
LH 2495 08:10 Fri D
LH 2494 08:25 Sat A
LH 2495 08:55 Sat D
LH 2494 17:25 Sun A
LH 2495 18:30 Sun D

Flights are not available to book yet but slots showing on 'Chroma AODB' at Stansted.
To where are they flying in Germany ?

Keanaga
30th Dec 2023, 14:22
Munich

Regards

davidjohnson6
30th Dec 2023, 22:24
I understand the new terminal at Kayseri airport in Turkey is due for opening "soon" - although I am not sure when "soon" is. The new terminal will apparently have capacity for 8 million pax per year.
I'm wondering if Pegasus or SunExpress are looking at a Stansted-Kayseri route...

JW95
20th Jan 2024, 11:06
Any updates/news on what is happening with the terminal extension at STN, now that planning permission has been secured?

pamann
29th Jan 2024, 10:55
Reading on another forum that Juneyao Air may be launching soon from Stansted?

Certainly no stranger to Stansted having operated some charters previously in 2022.

One to watch.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x714/img_5294_e1ddf28297941793dddbbde4ce417fbccb780db0.jpeg

Sotonsean
29th Jan 2024, 15:13
Reading on another forum that Juneyao Air may be launching soon from Stansted?

Certainly no stranger to Stansted having operated some charters previously in 2022.

One to watch.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x714/img_5294_e1ddf28297941793dddbbde4ce417fbccb780db0.jpeg

Any idea as to where Juneyao Air would potentially be flying from in China if they are indeed actually considering operating scheduled flights to London Stansted.

BA318
29th Jan 2024, 15:14
Any idea as to where Juneyao Air would potentially be flying from in China if they are indeed actually considering operating scheduled flights to London Stansted.

Their international routes have usually been to and from Shanghai. They planned PVG-HEL-MAN and possibly EDI before the pandemic but it never happened.

Sotonsean
29th Jan 2024, 15:45
Their international routes have usually been to and from Shanghai. They planned PVG-HEL-MAN and possibly EDI before the pandemic, but it never happened.

I assumed that it would probably be from Shanghai PVG, considering their operations at that hub.

Although I'm aware of there previous intentions on operating PVG-HEL-MAN I wonder if MAG have approached them in considering starting MAN as well as STN from Shanghai PVG.

Juneyao Air would make a great addition to the London Stansted airline network and route portfolio.

On a another note.

Frontier Airlines from the USA had previously mentioned last year that they are looking at opportunities with their upcoming fleet of Airbus A321XLR. One of the possibilities mentioned was that Frontier Airlines would consider transatlantic flights from one of their hub airports such as Newark or Philadelphia. With the competition at LGW on transatlantic flights Frontier Airlines could well be a future contender at STN.

I also wonder if at some point, Qatar starting a service from Doha to complement their existing cargo flights at STN.

In the next 12 months or so it would be great to see the following at STN.

Emirates...Dubai
Frontier Airlines...Newark
Juneyao Air...Shanghai
Qatar...Doha
Royal Jordanian Airlines...Amman

And any other potential medium to long haul airlines would be great additions at STN.

Travel24
29th Jan 2024, 15:54
Qatar have three daily slots at Gatwick imo never ever going to stansted.

Sotonsean
29th Jan 2024, 16:16
Qatar have three daily slots at Gatwick imo never ever going to stansted.

Never ever!

I'm afraid that going from your recent post's here on pprune I'm not going to take any notice of your prediction.

Keanaga
29th Jan 2024, 16:32
The Qatar freight flights at STN are on behalf of BA cargo,not there own flights, they have the odd Horse/Livestock flight on there own.

Regards.

Sotonsean
29th Jan 2024, 17:22
The Qatar freight flights at STN are on behalf of BA cargo,not there own flights, they have the odd Horse/Livestock flight on there own.

Regards.

Although the Qatar freight flights were originally operated on behalf of BA Cargo I was under the impression that the current STN flights were for Qatar Cargo. I was under the impression that the current Qatar freight flights into LHR were operated on behalf of BA Cargo.

But I stand corrected if that is the case. But nonetheless, Qatar in one way or another is already well established at STN. It therefore would not surprise me if Qatar Airways at "some point" in the future started passenger operations from Doha to STN. I can forsee "at some point" in the future Qatar Airways serving all three of Londons major airports in the same way as Emirates does.

airhumberside
29th Jan 2024, 17:50
One of the possibilities mentioned was that Frontier Airlines would consider transatlantic flights from one of their hub airports such as Newark
Frontier pulled out of Newark around 2 years ago due to high costs. They have a very limited New York area presence now

pabely
29th Jan 2024, 17:58
And Frontier quoted as talking to SNN so probably would run fights from strongholds in Denver, Dallas and Pheonix. They won't be getting XLRs until 2026 to a way off anyhow.

Sotonsean
29th Jan 2024, 18:01
Frontier pulled out of Newark around 2 years ago due to high costs. They have a very limited New York area presence now

If that's the case and Frontier do eventually decide to go transatlantic it'll more likely be from their Philadelphia then. Philadelphia was actually mentioned in the article that I had read. Newark on the other hand was a bit of an artistic speculation on my part. So as you have pointed out, without any significant presence at Newark I can't see them going transatlantic from there then.

Sotonsean
29th Jan 2024, 18:09
And Frontier quoted as talking to SNN so probably would run fights from strongholds in Denver, Dallas and Pheonix. They won't be getting XLRs until 2026 to a way off anyhow.

In the particular article that I read, it actually stated SNN. But even with the extra range of the Airbus A321XLR, I don't think that any of those US destinations you listed are within the aircrafts range from SNN. It'll more than likely be from their east coast hub at Philadelphia with connections to destinations such as those listed. I stand corrected if an Airbus A321XLR can actually fly non-stop from SNN to Dallas, Denver, or even Phoenix. I very much doubt the latter.

Keanaga
30th Jan 2024, 05:26
Still BA freight.

Regards.

BIZZYBOY
30th Jan 2024, 06:10
Although the Qatar freight flights were originally operated on behalf of BA Cargo I was under the impression that the current STN flights were for Qatar Cargo. I was under the impression that the current Qatar freight flights into LHR were operated on behalf of BA Cargo.

But I stand corrected if that is the case. But nonetheless, Qatar in one way or another is already well established at STN. It therefore would not surprise me if Qatar Airways at "some point" in the future started passenger operations from Doha to STN. I can forsee "at some point" in the future Qatar Airways serving all three of Londons major airports in the same way as Emirates does.

Qatar already operate many adhoc VIP movements at STN and the FBO which is used to serve extra commercial charter flights. So a relationship exists albeit MAG will want them south side of course.

Rutan16
30th Jan 2024, 06:54

BA/IB have a merged cargo operation as IAG Cargo and partnership with Qatar (for reasons) are their preferred suppliers of all plane capacity , along with EAT and Cygnus Air .
The entire capacity is marketed via both parties to the agreement, primarily via Liege , London , Zaragoza and Madrid .

JW95
30th Jan 2024, 16:50
Anyone know how well Emirates are doing at STN? When this route originally first started, both flights to DXB were operated by the "Game changer" 777-300ER, featuring the airline's new First class cabin. However, towards the end of last year to date, I've noticed that these are no longer featured featured on STN flights which is a shame. Is this a case of lower demand for F at STN? I'm aware that EK are now using the 77W with new F on 1 of their LHR sectors until March, so I'm wondering whether the STN equipment change is just temporary? Also seeing on Airliners.Net that a third daily flight is likely to launch this year :)

pabely
30th Jan 2024, 20:23
Qatar already operate many adhoc VIP movements at STN and the FBO which is used to serve extra commercial charter flights. So a relationship exists albeit MAG will want them south side of course.
Not sure Qatar Executive can be linked to Qatar Airways to MAG in that way. Isn't the point of a FBO that you only pay them and then your pay the airport on your behalf?
You are just as likely to see Qatar Executive aircraft at Luton and Farnborough. They just go where the business hirer wants them to go.
I'm sure if Qatar Airways want more London capacity they just approach their alliance Partner who will lease them more LGW slots.

pamann
30th Jan 2024, 21:09
I'm sure if Qatar Airways want more London capacity they just approach their alliance Partner who will lease them more LGW slots.

Same could have been said about EK a few years ago.

Then look what happened.

Time will tell I guess.

FRatSTN
30th Jan 2024, 22:02
Qatar was supposedly looking at a STN launch initially for 2020 but it got pushed back to a potential 2021 launch, then of course after Covid hit never happened. I think they will launch eventually but maybe not now till STN-TP is delivered.

pabely
30th Jan 2024, 23:10
Same could have been said about EK a few years ago.

Then look what happened.

Time will tell I guess.
EK does it's own thing, QR being part of OneWorld can lease BA Slots at LGW. Same way Star & Skyteam do at LHR.
I and not doubting EK will launch one day, just the fact of Cargo & Executive units at STN will have no baring on this.

Sotonsean
30th Jan 2024, 23:16
EK does it's own thing, QR being part of OneWorld can lease BA Slots at LGW. Same way Star & Skyteam do at LHR.
I and not doubting EK will launch one day, just the fact of Cargo & Executive units at STN will have no baring on this.

Or not doubting Qatar will launch one day for that matter :)

Keanaga
31st Jan 2024, 20:36
Ryanair to add Olbia from May.

Regards.

davidjohnson6
6th Feb 2024, 21:56
SkyAlps moving their Bolzano route from Stansted to Gatwick from mid April 2024
https://italiavola.com/2024/02/06/skyalps-atterrera-a-londra-gatwick-da-meta-aprile/

JW95
20th Feb 2024, 11:26
Supposedly the designs for the terminal extension programme at STN are being finalised now according to the recent press release. Hopefully it won't be much longer before we find out, looking forward to seeing images :) Also hoping some of the satellite and gate areas will (finally) receive a well needed upgrade!

Paulesx
28th Feb 2024, 13:57
So just stumbled across this online

seems they will be operating a series of flights from Stansted to Cape Verde , can’t find any schedules etc though

https://www.krioulaexperience.com (https://www.krioulaexperience.com/blank-2)

pamann
28th Feb 2024, 15:12
So just stumbled across this online

seems they will be operating a series of flights from Stansted to Cape Verde , can’t find any schedules etc though

https://www.krioulaexperience.com (https://www.krioulaexperience.com/blank-2)

Can’t see this actually happening unless Cabo Verde Airlines launch a scheduled service and they buy in seats. Otherwise I’d put money on it not happening with this unknown tour operator.

Paulesx
28th Feb 2024, 15:44
Might be right , although this shows on their website, sure will find out soon enough , perhaps they have an allocation series for the charter.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1100x2000/img_7825_5a0cbf7c26877076ea8f50eb88962ffd6e2a84c9.jpeg

Sotonsean
29th Feb 2024, 01:52
Might be right , although this shows on their website, sure will find out soon enough , perhaps they have an allocation series for the charter.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1100x2000/img_7825_5a0cbf7c26877076ea8f50eb88962ffd6e2a84c9.jpeg

If this all goes to plan it will actually be a resumption of service by TACV at London Stansted. TACV operated a short lived scheduled service from Praia to London Stansted in 2007, operated on a weekly basis with a B757.

TACV only have two aircraft in their fleet and their route network is rather stretched. But it'll be nice for London Stansted to regain a link to Cape Verde.

LGWAlan
29th Feb 2024, 12:14
It actually operated on a leased Travelservice 737-800. The pax load when I flew outbound on a famm trip with the old TACV was 10 - of which 7 of us were on the fam trip. A grand total of 3 paying passengers.

Sotonsean
29th Feb 2024, 23:19
It actually operated on a leased Travelservice 737-800. The pax load when I flew outbound on a famm trip with the old TACV was 10 - of which 7 of us were on the fam trip. A grand total of 3 paying passengers.

Although to be fair the Cape Verde islands have become more of a popular tourist destination since 2007, which is 17 years ago.

LGWAlan
1st Mar 2024, 13:06
Fair comment - although none currently go to Praia. Having been to both Praia and Sal I can see why! Sal is by far the more tourism oriented island. Praia is very much the "working" island of the archipelago.

Skipness One Foxtrot
1st Mar 2024, 20:56
There's an enormous sign in security that says "If in doubt, take it out", as we all know, so that large electronic equipment can be clearly seen on the scanners .
There was also an increasingly angry old guy yelling at everyone at the new security machines to stop taking large electronics out as they were slowing down the new process. The AI also couldn't figure out my laptop was a laptop cos it ended up beneath two books in my enforced rush to chuck everything in one tray as demanded by shouty man.

Of course I got a secondary. The right hand really needs to meet the left hand.....

Stanstedinsider24
9th Mar 2024, 09:43
Royal Jordanian have now completed 3 flights into Stansted and so far passenger numbers are good. You'll see them below. The A319 that has been used so far holds 120 passengers, so some figures a only just over half full. Hopefully figures stay consistent going forward. Great to see another airline at Stansted and starting well. Hopefully the aviation team can get some for airlines on the ground this year. Unfortunately we will see Sky Alps to Gatwick (Seems they must be letting all airlines land and park for free) and Widroe appears to be stopping all flying to London from the 8th April which is a shame.

03rd March
Arrival 93 Departure 99
05th March
Arrival 107 Departure 63
07th March
Arrival 90 Departure 71

Sotonsean
9th Mar 2024, 13:45
It's a shame to lose Widroe at London Stansted but with Norwegian recently being given approval to buy the airline I guess that it was rather inevitable.

As one airline leaves London Stansted another arrives as in the case of Royal Jordanian and Widroe. Its a shame but that's why the amount of airlines serving the airport always remain around the same figure.

On another note...Are Lufthansa returning to the airport at some point. There was a post a while back regarding seasonal service from Munich in addition to the Octoberfest flight's.

pabely
10th Mar 2024, 13:24
Has Stansted missed out on Turkmenistan Airlines this summer season, see they are starting at LGW?

Sotonsean
11th Mar 2024, 08:14
Has Stansted missed out on Turkmenistan Airlines this summer season, see they are starting at LGW?

Are you getting confused with Uzbekistan Airlines?

Uzbekistan Airlines has recently announced a weekly flight from Tashkent to London Gatwick for the summer. This is in addition to its existing two weekly flights from Tashkent to London Heathrow. The London Gatwick flight will be using the same flight numbers as the additional weekly flight that operated into London Heathrow last summer.

As far as I'm aware, Turkmenistan Airlines are remaining at London Heathrow and have fairly recently announced a second weekly flight from Ashgabat.

I've personally seen no mention of Turkmenistan Airlines relocating from London Heathrow to London Gatwick.

If Turkmenistan Airlines has to eventually leave London Heathrow at some point, then hopefully, the airline will make a return to London Stansted.

BHX5DME
11th Mar 2024, 08:28
Are you getting confused with Uzbekistan Airlines?

Uzbekistan Airlines has recently announced a weekly flight from Tashkent to London Gatwick for the summer. This is in addition to its existing two weekly flights from Tashkent to London Heathrow. The London Gatwick flight will be using the same flight numbers as the additional weekly flight that operated into London Heathrow last summer.

As far as I'm aware, Turkmenistan Airlines are remaining at London Heathrow and have fairly recently announced a second weekly flight from Ashgabat.

I've personally seen no mention of Turkmenistan Airlines relocating from London Heathrow to London Gatwick.

If Turkmenistan Airlines has to eventually leave London Heathrow at some point, then hopefully, the airline will make a return to London Stansted.

Turkmen move from LHR to LGW on 3 April