PDA

View Full Version : Stansted-4

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

pabely
12th Jan 2023, 19:33
Is Luton really viable for a flight to India taking maybe 9 hours, and a not-particularly-long runway ? And yes, with all the extra luggage (and weight) that flights between the UK and India seems to attract. Would you put business class pax through Luton, particularly if your flight is a mix of economy and premium class pax ? It's not the same as an business-class-only aircraft with just 100 seats all of whom are paying a premium fare. Since Tata took over, they will want to get rid of the cr*ppy perception that Air India has sometimes had in the past
If Air India is to open a base other than LHR... then LGW, STN, or growing BHX seem to me the strongest contenders.

Note - before this degenerates into a Luton v Stansted war and I'm accused of being anti-Luton.... I flew through Luton over 20 times in 2022
No, no. I wasn't suggesting any sort of routes by a 321XLR from Luton. I doubt the terminal or runway would be suitable but courting them at STN before they get a stronger hold at LGW. Linking to the Middle East will come first for them as they haven't been too successful in the bucket & spade sunshine routes yet.

terrain safe
12th Jan 2023, 21:18
Air india will be flying from Stansted this summer.

BA318
12th Jan 2023, 21:28

to where? They just announced 4 routes from LGW and increased frequencies from others at LHR but nothing about STN.

pamann
12th Jan 2023, 21:30

Really?

BA318
13th Jan 2023, 11:09
Emirates go twice daily from 1st May.

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/1613866928325410818?s=20&t=PbprwY6OCfS35YL4ju1edA

pabely
13th Jan 2023, 11:21
At last some brighter, but expected news.
Emirates upscaling at BHX & GLA as well so nearing pre-covid levels.

Paulesx
13th Jan 2023, 12:07
flight in the GDS already from 1 May, but no classes loaded as yet on new flights

OUTBOUND
01MAY MON STN/Z¥1 DXB/¥3
1EK 66 F4 A0 J7 C7 I7 O7 H0*STNDXB 1455 0100¥1 77W M 0 /E
Y9 R9 M9 B9 U9 K9 Q9 L9

XEK 68 F A J C I O H *STNDXB 2110 0710¥1 77W M 0 /E
Y R M B U K Q L

INBOUND
01MAY MON DXB/Z¥4 STN/-3
1EK 65 F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O7 H0*DXBSTN 0850 1325 77W M 0 /E
Y9 R9 M9 B9 U9 K9 Q9 L9

2EK 67 F0 A0 J0 C0 I0 O0 H0*DXBSTN 1415 1845 77W M 0 /E
Y0 R0 M0 B0 U0 K0 Q0 L0

STN406
16th Jan 2023, 07:37
Flights now on sale. First, business and economy are available to book.

G-APDK
16th Jan 2023, 09:06
Both Vietnam Airlines (B787) and China Cargo Airlines (CK/CKK) (B777F) have requested slots at Stansted for the summer, with the latter 3 days per week. Source from staff at the airport

STN406
16th Jan 2023, 20:21
Both Vietnam Airlines (B787) and China Cargo Airlines (CK/CKK) (B777F) have requested slots at Stansted for the summer, with the latter 3 days per week. Source from staff at the airport

I have heard similar as well. I have also heard from a duty manger in the terminal that Vietnam reps were being shown around the airport over the past week.

FRatSTN
20th Jan 2023, 08:14
New service to Bergen 2x weekly starting 26th March 2023. Will operate in addition to their BGO-LHR route.

Not a big addition but nice to have nonetheless.

STN406
20th Jan 2023, 09:48
New service to Bergen 2x weekly starting 26th March 2023. Will operate in addition to their BGO-LHR route.

Not a big addition but nice to have nonetheless.

This is on sale.

Friday:
BGO 17:10-1800 STN
STN 18:40-2130 BGO
Sunday:
BGO 1135-1225 STN
STN 1310-1600 BGO

Been flown on a E295.

JW95
20th Jan 2023, 12:54
This would be a very interesting move by Vietnam Airlines if they did decide to enter STN, especially given that they already operate at LHR, and had previously tried LGW before consolidating at Heathrow - how likely would a dual STN/LHR operation be? Either way, it would be great to see long haul expand from STN alongside Emirates.

Also, does anyone have any further information or updates regarding the STN transformation programme? IIRC, something was mentioned about MAG supposedly scrapping the arrivals terminal in favour of a new terminal 2?

Skipness One Foxtrot
20th Jan 2023, 13:48
They have seven daily slots at LHR but they're in financial trouble. It may well be a fire sale of the slots? Unless they're not even their own slots in which case I am talking nonsense again.....

JW95
20th Jan 2023, 14:13
They have seven daily slots at LHR but they're in financial trouble. It may well be a fire sale of the slots? Unless they're not even their own slots in which case I am talking nonsense again.....

Certainly would be a great catch for STN and MAG if that were to happen - although I would have thought they'd be taking a look at reinstating LGW first before STN? (No doubt GIP would be willing to offer them a good deal).

STN406
20th Jan 2023, 19:37
This would be a very interesting move by Vietnam Airlines if they did decide to enter STN, especially given that they already operate at LHR, and had previously tried LGW before consolidating at Heathrow - how likely would a dual STN/LHR operation be? Either way, it would be great to see long haul expand from STN alongside Emirates.

Also, does anyone have any further information or updates regarding the STN transformation programme? IIRC, something was mentioned about MAG supposedly scrapping the arrivals terminal in favour of a new terminal 2?

In terms of the Stansted Transformation Project. A lot has been discussed. The most recent has been a new terminal towards the blue car park with a direct connection to a new SAT4 and link to SAT3. SAT1&2 would then be the current terminals satellites.
No plans or anything official has been announced. But a lot of movement in upper MAG management into new projects and transformation roles.

pamann
20th Jan 2023, 21:06
In terms of the Stansted Transformation Project. A lot has been discussed. The most recent has been a new terminal towards the blue car park with a direct connection to a new SAT4 and link to SAT3. SAT1&2 would then be the current terminals satellites.
No plans or anything official has been announced. But a lot of movement in upper MAG management into new projects and transformation roles.

It would at least be nice to see them progress with the shoreline check in theme as originally planned.

FRatSTN
21st Jan 2023, 07:57
It would at least be nice to see them progress with the shoreline check in theme as originally planned.
Yes, except most of the desks they've built so far look s***!

Paulesx
25th Jan 2023, 16:03
Loganair to increase its City of Derry - London Stansted route from 7 April 2023, operating 19x weekly flights Triple daily flights - Weekdays Double daily flights - Weekends

source, twitter page @SeanM1997

STN406
25th Jan 2023, 16:22
Loganair to increase its City of Derry - London Stansted route from 7 April 2023, operating 19x weekly flights Triple daily flights - Weekdays Double daily flights - Weekends

source, twitter page @SeanM1997

Been mentioned to happen a few times before. Hopefully it’ll go ahead this time.

davidjohnson6
26th Jan 2023, 08:57
Air Corsica have removed STN from their website for ticket sales. No idea if this is a temporary blip or permanent

pamann
26th Jan 2023, 13:59
Air Corsica have removed STN from their website for ticket sales. No idea if this is a temporary blip or permanent

As far as I’m aware they are charter flights for one of the Corsican tour operators. They haven’t been scheduled flights since pre-Covid.

BIZZYBOY
27th Jan 2023, 22:35
https://northofstansted.co.uk/timeline/ 😳

Uttlesford District Council approves industrial estate next to Stansted Airport (https://www.bishopsstortfordindependent.co.uk/news/approval-for-cutting-edge-sustainable-development-next-to-9296006/?fbclid=IwAR2OQTwOlCmu0wEGwdc0jG1i-BnYzcIElDT5x7H78y-gaY1TcBOPpEqPaIw)

Proposed areas for demolition;
Stansted House MT
Titan Hangar
BIP
Swissport
Valet co
Wren Kitchens
Workshops & yard Worskshop
Stores and ancillary Offices, crew and maintenance Inspection post
Van storage.

Where is the new BIP going to be relocated.

Most impacted is Titan Airways, where will they end up going, There are no plans for a new hangar anywhere, surely they will need to relocate away from STN?

pabely
27th Jan 2023, 23:36
Where indeed for Titan. I can also see objections from Fayair & Universal with the loss of aircraft parking. We may never see such a gathering of Heads of State aircraft in UK as we did last year in one place - which will be a headache for security in the future.
As with Luton, Bizjets will eventually get squeezed out.
Who is going to be the next Farnborough........
Cranfield, Oxford......?

BIZZYBOY
28th Jan 2023, 06:42
Where indeed for Titan. I can also see objections from Fayair & Universal with the loss of aircraft parking. We may never see such a gathering of Heads of State aircraft in UK as we did last year in one place - which will be a headache for security in the future.
As with Luton, Bizjets will eventually get squeezed out.
Who is going to be the next Farnborough........
Cranfield, Oxford......?
The loss of stands is puzzling as I agree these are vital for when large events occur but also utilised a lot during the spring/summer as the large private operators park up. Space for aircraft parking will be at a premium and there are not a lot of alternative airports to accommodate these.
Interestingly the areas in red on the map that Columbia Threadneedle owns cover a lot of Inflite Hangar 1 area so this too is at risk of change.

STN406
28th Jan 2023, 07:42
It’s all because MAG only see the money they’ll make from selling it. But that’s not surprising MAG have always used Stansted as a cash cow really to support the growth and development of Manchester and their back pockets.
This move to sell all this land hasn’t gone down well with a lot of people.

I know for all the airport departments northside they are being moved to an area near the catering facilities along long border road. I know the motor transport team will be moving to their new facility very soon.

I did hear some time ago Titan where looking at acquiring hanger space in Malta to go with their Maltese registered division. Not sure what happened to this idea?

SWBKCB
28th Jan 2023, 07:54
The loss of stands is puzzling as I agree these are vital for when large events occur but also utilised a lot during the spring/summer as the large private operators park up.

Not exactly a compelling business case when there's jobs on offer.

commit aviation
28th Jan 2023, 12:26
Looking at the north of stansted website, it was sold back in August 2020. Maybe to bring in revenue during the pandemic.
From what I hear, Fayair won't be objecting. I would imagine that passenger & freight is where the money is so the loss of some north side GA parking is probably not seen as a huge loss.

pabely
28th Jan 2023, 12:39
I hear, maybe just a rumour, that Amazon would be a major user of the warehouse space. Would it be logical that they would want parking for ASL & Primeair aircraft close to that? If so even less space for FBOs outside their own dedicated aprons. Bye bye A7- & A6- big biz.....

BIZZYBOY
28th Jan 2023, 16:31
Looking at the north of stansted website, it was sold back in August 2020. Maybe to bring in revenue during the pandemic.
From what I hear, Fayair won't be objecting. I would imagine that passenger & freight is where the money is so the loss of some north side GA parking is probably not seen as a huge loss.

Fayair is no more and there is no objections from Harrods even though they have just purchased the FBO and soon to have a fence line across the east side of their apron so will affect what they can park in the future.

The HAP will have to go aswell so will MAG want to relocate or will we need slots for helicopters

commit aviation
28th Jan 2023, 16:51
Didn't know if Fayair was public knowledge.
HAP - a couple of options up for debate I heard but runway slots should not be ruled out.

pabely
28th Jan 2023, 17:14
Fayair is no more and there is no objections from Harrods even though they have just purchased the FBO and soon to have a fence line across the east side of their apron so will affect what they can park in the future.

I assume the ex Fayair Hanger is safe but access will be only from airside via Harrods existing entry point.

BIZZYBOY
28th Jan 2023, 17:26
Didn't know if Fayair was public knowledge.
HAP - a couple of options up for debate I heard but runway slots should not be ruled out.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2023-01-12/harrods-buys-rival-fbo-london-stansted-airport?amp

Buster the Bear
28th Jan 2023, 20:22
MAG no longer own the site. Sold to Columbia Threadneedle Investments in 2020.

rog747
30th Jan 2023, 06:03
New low-cost carrier from Iceland Play will be doing flights from Stansted and Liverpool to Hamilton Toronto YHM (90 minutes drive from Toronto)

5 flights a week from June 22 from Stansted, and 2 flights a week from Liverpool -- all go via a KEF Reykjavik stop. Snack/Drinks are BoB
You can connect there and go on to BOS BWI IAD and also to New York, SWF, Stewart International Airport, 60 miles north of Manhattan.

Play's initial fleet consisted of three Airbus A321neo aircraft, all of which were formerly operated by defunct Mexican airline Interjet.
In September 2021, the airline announced its first fleet expansion with orders for three Airbus A320neos and a fourth A321N for early 2023.
The airline also signed a letter of intent in August to receive two more A320neos.
Play specified that an Airbus A321neo it was due to receive in anticipation of its recently announced Orlando route would be the A321NX/LR variant, for delivery during May 2022.
Play decided to delay delivery of it and cancel the planned Orlando MCO route due to rising fuel costs.
The airline instead replaced the A321LR with an A320neo, thereby planning to operate a fleet of five A320neos and three A321neos for summer 2023, the airline's A321neos began seating reconfigurations to increase their capacity from 192 to 214.

STN406
4th Feb 2023, 15:07
In an email sent out to MAG staff at Stansted. The airport will begin soon two new projects after gaining approval from the business planning department. One is the Emirates lounge in SAT1 and the other is a new drive through facility on Thremhall Avenue. This will include a coffee and fast food outlet and an electric charging point for vehicles in a parking area.
Both were projects planned for pre covid.
Also brand new CT X-Ray machines will slowly be rolled out within security after successful trials in the security forecourt extension.

strawberry Ribena
4th Feb 2023, 15:36
[QUOTE=STN406;11379917] One is the Emirates lounge in SAT1

Expect a 3rd daily flight to be announced- my guess around 10am-ish

From my Emirates induction/training they only open their own lounges when there’s a minimum of 3 flights a day.

pamann
4th Feb 2023, 16:30

From my Emirates induction/training they only open their own lounges when there’s a minimum of 3 flights a day.

Stansted is in desperate need of some alternative lounge options. Whilst functional, The Escape Lounge is small and lacks its own washrooms/shower facilities.

A third daily EK flight is still a way off IMO seeing as the second daily hasn’t yet started. More likely that one of the two daily flights would be switched to A380 before we see further increase in schedules.

VickersVicount
4th Feb 2023, 16:32

Yet Glasgow had one with First section when only 1-2 daily

STN406
4th Feb 2023, 17:33

Pre covid the lounge was gonna go in with only two daily flights. And I know they have many lounges at airports around the world that don’t have 3 daily flights. Perth, Hamburg and Boston for example.

strawberry Ribena
4th Feb 2023, 18:15
[QUOTE=strawberry Ribena;11379935]

Pre covid the lounge was gonna go in with only two daily flights. And I know they have many lounges at airports around the world that don’t have 3 daily flights. Perth, Hamburg and Boston for example. you are very right. My bad.

_aax1
4th Feb 2023, 18:16
In an email sent out to MAG staff at Stansted. The airport will begin soon two new projects after gaining approval from the business planning department. One is the Emirates lounge in SAT1 and the other is a new drive through facility on Thremhall Avenue. This will include a coffee and fast food outlet and an electric charging point for vehicles in a parking area.
Both were projects planned for pre covid.
Also brand new CT X-Ray machines will slowly be rolled out within security after successful trials in the security forecourt extension.

Are they planning to knock down that eyesore extension?

davidjohnson6
5th Feb 2023, 10:17
FR to add more flights on STN-Rimini route in S23
https://italiavola.com/2023/02/05/piu-voli-tra-rimini-e-londra-nellestate-2023/

ATNotts
5th Feb 2023, 10:59
FR to add more flights on STN-Rimini route in S23
https://italiavola.com/2023/02/05/piu-voli-tra-rimini-e-londra-nellestate-2023/
I think I read some while ago that the resorts around Rimini were popular with (or perhaps overrun by) Russians so probably the local tourism industry is looking to lure Brits back. It used to be a popular destination from the UK in the 1960s and '70s.

Paulesx
7th Feb 2023, 19:17
Some interesting notes when looking at the STN ACL S23 5% slot hand back data for carriers holding STN slots this coming S23 season, should they all come to fruition of course

Enzis Air ( MG) 186 slots

Southwind Airlines (2S) 382 slots

BA Cityflyer (CJ) 88 slots

Freebird ( FHY) 264 slots

Balkan air ( BGH)

African Eagle (H7) 184 slots

Turkmenistan Airlines (T5) 114 slots

Tus Air (U8) 434 slots

China cargo airlines (CK) 372 slots

Vietnam Airlines (VN) 434 slots

EL AL ( LY ) 310 slots

source as below

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/S2023-Permitted-Slot-Returns-as-per-the-UK-slot-Regulation.pdf

davidjohnson6
7th Feb 2023, 19:32
Who's chartering flights with Southwind between Stansted and Turkey ? While registered in Turkey and officially a Turkish airline, they have rather strong ties to Russia...

pamann
7th Feb 2023, 20:16
Who's chartering flights with Southwind between Stansted and Turkey ? While registered in Turkey and officially a Turkish airline, they have rather strong ties to Russia...

Maybe Tui. They are currently showing their Friday Dalaman as ‘other carrier’. Though it could be Freebird?

pabely
7th Feb 2023, 22:37
Some interesting notes when looking at the STN ACL S23 5% slot hand back data for carriers holding STN slots this coming S23 season, should they all come to fruition of course
Balkan air ( BGH)
Tus Air (U8) 434 slots
EL AL ( LY ) 310 slots
source as below
https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/S2023-Permitted-Slot-Returns-as-per-the-UK-slot-Regulation.pdf
Should any come to fruition more like.
Can't find any flights on booking engines I have checked so far for the full service Airlines.

nt639
8th Feb 2023, 05:47
STN is showing on the list of London airports on the El Al Website, but no flights loaded as of yet

pabely
8th Feb 2023, 12:08
STN is showing on the list of London airports on the El Al Website, but no flights loaded as of yet
Done some test bookings around Jewish holidays and fares are not stupid prices from LHR or LTN so very unlikely to be needed as just dilutes fares. El Al have added occasional x3 day to Luton in the past anyhow.

AirportPlanner1
8th Feb 2023, 12:42
El Al were supposed to have operated in 2020, I believe it went on sale but willing to be corrected.

davidjohnson6
8th Feb 2023, 12:51
Are LTN slots at times suitable for El Al really that difficult to obtain ?

Sotonsean
8th Feb 2023, 13:09

Balkan air ( BGH)

Tus Air (U8) 434 slots

EL AL ( LY ) 310 slots

source as below

The two airlines on that list that got my attention were.

African Eagle H7,

The Ugandan freight carrier currently operate a small fleet of prop aircraft on regional routes from Entebbe.

Enzis Air MG,

A Mongolian charter airline based in the capital Ulan Bator. The airline currently have two aircraft in it's fleet, an Airbus A333 and a Boeing 738.

As others have pointed out, El Al were scheduled to resume flights to STN from Tel Aviv in 2020, but due to the pandemic this did not materialise. Hopefully STN will see the resumption of flights by El Al from Tel Aviv at some point in the future.

sewushr
8th Feb 2023, 14:45
H7 is more likely to be HiSky of Moldova (despite what the ACL report says!)

pabely
8th Feb 2023, 18:01
Are LTN slots at times suitable for El Al really that difficult to obtain ?
Yes, very hard. Until they extend parallel taxiway and do fast exit slips it is very constrained in Summer. There are limits on terminal capacity as well so there might be a runway slot but no room for pax.

davidjohnson6
8th Feb 2023, 19:33
H7 is more likely to be HiSky of Moldova (despite what the ACL report says!)
HiSky were meant to fly to the UK at the start of 2022. In the end they flew on maybe a couple of dates, with the rest of their schedule cancelled. I'll believe they are coming to STN when I see wheels touch the ground

sewushr
9th Feb 2023, 05:06
HiSky have never operated to Stansted (or anywhere in the UK) as far as I'm aware.

Personally I think the Romanian offshoot is more likely, given the demise of Blue Air, rather than a 3rd carrier from Moldova operating to London, but who knows?!

FRatSTN
9th Feb 2023, 09:00
From what I can make out it looks like El Al have lost their historic late evening slots at LTN this summer.

The initial co-ordination report for LTN shows El Al having been allocated only 12 slots per week (6 pairs), increasing to 16 from late June. Total 422 slots. - They requested 22 slots per week (11 pairs) which they're selling tickets for.

The STN slots are 10 per week (5 pairs) for the full season operating late evening. Total 310 slots.

That still appears to be the case: S2023-Permitted-Slot-Returns-as-per-the-UK-slot-Regulation.pdf (acl-uk.org) (https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/S2023-Permitted-Slot-Returns-as-per-the-UK-slot-Regulation.pdf)

I imagine they're hoping to secure the remaining slots at LTN, or else I guess we may end up seeing some of them at STN.

pabely
9th Feb 2023, 11:57
A test booking late May still shows late evening at LTN.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/900x2000/screenshot_20230209_125354_chrome_5d6ca0249f194b03b996800142 cbec1af0db8c12.jpg
They have in the past run x3 day from LTN, 777 + x2 737 so that might be the overflow which will end up at STN.

Paulesx
9th Feb 2023, 19:51
Well appears the slots, albeit a small amount for BA CityFlyer will be actually be utilised with BA operating a weekly Stansted - Calvi service for S23

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/corsica-specialist-secures-ba-flight-charter-for-summer-2023-38436

STN406
9th Feb 2023, 23:14
Well appears the slots, albeit a small amount for BA CityFlyer will be actually be utilised with BA operating a weekly Stansted - Calvi service for S23

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/corsica-specialist-secures-ba-flight-charter-for-summer-2023-38436

Interesting I had seen a twice weekly PMI flight loaded for the summer. Sat and Sun flights.

FRatSTN
10th Feb 2023, 05:04
A test booking late May still shows late evening at LTN.

My original post does acknowledge that. Just because they're selling tickets doesn't necessarily mean they have the slots confirmed.

With only 422 total slots allocated at LTN across the season post handback it's evident actually they don't. Sure there's a good chance they will still get allocated them before March, but looks like that's why they're still holding out for STN.

AirportPlanner1
16th Feb 2023, 11:06
Ryanair are adding Ouarzazate 2x weekly from the end of March. I’d absolutely recommend it having been although no more than a short break is needed. It’s a top place for film fans as it’s home to Atlas Studios and the stunning town of Ait Benhaddou is half an hour or so away.

I don’t think this route will last too long however, I think it’s a bit too random and I’m guessing very few would have heard of it. When I went the only international route was a 1x weekly to Paris.

davidjohnson6
16th Feb 2023, 11:58
Wahey... finally we get a completely unexpected new airport being linked to London for summer 2023... something has to be comparable to last year's opening of a route to Örebro

AirportPlanner1
16th Feb 2023, 19:50
something has to be comparable to last year's opening of a route to Örebro

To be fair I suspect Orebro and its catchment has decent inbound demand. And the route is still going. Can’t imagine many Brits use it, but even major cities like Oslo and Stockholm have in my experience been majority Scandinavians on board.

rog747
17th Feb 2023, 03:28
Interesting I had seen a twice weekly PMI flight loaded for the summer. Sat and Sun flights.

PMI - Not apparent as yet on BA.com for the high season - maybe this was dropped like some of the SOU routes?,
or could be a charter, but I am not aware of any Tour Operators taking a series on BACF from STN.

Calvi is a SUN charter for Corsican Places Holidays (who in the past have used Titan)

BACF have a charter program from SOU to Palma flying for TUI Holidays with 2 x weekly (TUE & SAT)
plus the 3 x weekly scheduled PMI flights.

BACF also fly weekend summer charters from JER, GCI and IOM to Palma, IBZ, AGP, FAO.

Droidd
22nd Feb 2023, 11:39
HiSky have never operated to Stansted (or anywhere in the UK) as far as I'm aware.

Personally I think the Romanian offshoot is more likely, given the demise of Blue Air, rather than a 3rd carrier from Moldova operating to London, but who knows?!

It's HiSky from KIV, operating H7461, TUE, THU, SUN IN 2030, OUT H7462 2125.

davidjohnson6
25th Feb 2023, 07:55
Stansted website showing regular flights to Ashgabat in Turkmenistan.
I've been and would not recommend for a holiday unless you fancy seeing a milder version of North Korea

Paulesx
25th Feb 2023, 09:07
That’s certainly and interesting one , I found a reference to once a week flights from 20 March on a Russian language site but could find no flights for sales on the Turkmenistan airlines website or in the GDS, also saw nothing in the Stansted website, you happen to have the link / source ?

davidjohnson6
25th Feb 2023, 10:37
https://www.stanstedairport.com/flight-information/departures/itinerary/?id=T5422-20230405D

Droidd
25th Feb 2023, 11:18
That’s certainly and interring one , I found a reference to once a week flights from 20 March on a Russian language site but could find no flights for sales on the Turkmenistan airlines website or in the GDS, also saw nothing in the Stansted website, you happen to have the link / source ?

SeanM on twitter has posted about it, I can’t link yet

Paulesx
25th Feb 2023, 11:23
Ok nice so found the below link which will need to be translated

https://turkmenportal.com/blog/58416/londonskii-aeroport-stansted-opublikoval-raspisanie-reisov-turkmenskih-avialinii-v-ashhabad

According to the Stansted airport schedule looks like Wednesday flights after an initial Monday flight

T5421 arriving @ 15:50
T5422 departing @ 17:50

no idea on equipment though, I will have to give that one a try :)

STN406
25th Feb 2023, 13:08
This is scheduled to start from the 29th of March with the passenger service on a B777-200LR running Wednesdays, but a cargo joins as well during May and the passenger service moves to operating on a Monday with the cargo taking the Wednesday slot on a A330-200F. The flight numbers will change with the cargo flight taking TF431/432.
Very much hope both services will begin, think the cargo service is more likely.

Paulesx
25th Feb 2023, 13:14
Thanks for the Info, you have a source?
777 will be a good addition, nice to get some more long haul equip in , imagine the 777 passenger flight will actually also be able to offer 10 ton of ad hoc cargo sales space too.

As for the A330, again a nice addition, i remember when they used to operate an IL76 in for cargo on an ad hoc basis

STN406
25th Feb 2023, 13:17
Wont be able to share the source as its of the airports flight display system.

Paulesx
25th Feb 2023, 13:18
Ahh no worries, thanks for the info

LGS6753
25th Feb 2023, 18:53
Turkmenistan applied for slots (and I think operated) some winter flights from Luton pre-Covid. Equipment was (to be) a 737-800.

pabely
25th Feb 2023, 21:56
Turkmenistan applied for slots (and I think operated) some winter flights from Luton pre-Covid. Equipment was (to be) a 737-800.
Did indeed, see https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/288010/turkmenistan-airlines-removes-london-luton-schedule-from-dec-2019/
I would think the route would have been via Ukrainian airspace which is obviously not available currently and they found it hard to fill a 737-800.
A 777 with a big belly makes more sense as I cannot see pax demand being too high.

davidjohnson6
25th Feb 2023, 22:07
I'm struggling to think of what cargo might be travelling between Ashgabat and London.... never mind thinking about pax now that T5 closed their routes to India. The UK and Turkmenistan have very limited cultural links between each other. UK exports to Turkmenistan are minimal. Turkmenistan's main export is gas via pipelines. Tourism to Turkmenistan is difficult and small in numbers

GayFriendly
26th Feb 2023, 08:00
These T5 flight numbers are the same used on its long running BHX - ASB route that started in the late 90's , stopped briefly after 9/11 then stopped again in 2020 due to the pandemic. It was operated up to 4 times weekly (using 737 initially, then 757 and 777) and survived almost solely on connecting pax to ATQ and DEL. If T5 have no onward connections to India from ASB anymore as reported, I really don't see how this will work for T5 unless it's primarily for cargo. Having said that, with AI starting at LGW and rumours of a second daily service at BHX, if T5 were to start offering India connections again, STN would be a good choice to avoid the might of a resurgent AI, although they did happily co-exist at BHX for a number of years.

Paulesx
26th Feb 2023, 09:40

Balkan air ( BGH)

Tus Air (U8) 434 slots

EL AL ( LY ) 310 slots

source as below

well so from the above airlines

BA confirmed starting calvi route

Turkmenistan - starting Ashgabat- london service

EL AL - kept their eve slot at LTN so staying there

Vietnam - loaded their S23 at LHR staying at Heathrow

H7 - hi sky, not african Eagle , starting chisinau

Freebird - doing some stn - Turkey flights for other operators

any updates on the others ? Enzis looks interesting from Mongolia

MARK 101
26th Feb 2023, 15:28
These T5 flight numbers are the same used on its long running BHX - ASB route that started in the late 90's , stopped briefly after 9/11 then stopped again in 2020 due to the pandemic. It was operated up to 4 times weekly (using 737 initially, then 757 and 777) and survived almost solely on connecting pax to ATQ and DEL. If T5 have no onward connections to India from ASB anymore as reported, I really don't see how this will work for T5 unless it's primarily for cargo. Having said that, with AI starting at LGW and rumours of a second daily service at BHX, if T5 were to start offering India connections again, STN would be a good choice to avoid the might of a resurgent AI, although they did happily co-exist at BHX for a number of years.
Wasnt the main reason for BHX stopping that the EU banned Turkmenistan for a period of time. They were,as you say loyal to BHX,but without the Indian connections they will struggle. Guess BHX is not a viable option for ASB only

sewushr
26th Feb 2023, 16:52
Correct. Operators from Turkmenistan were included on the EU Safety List and were therefore banned from flying to the EU, including the UK. That is no longer the case.

Interestingly, Moldova is on the UK's Safety List with (currently) only Air Moldova, Fly One and AeroTrans Cargo exempted from the ban.

Paulesx
27th Feb 2023, 09:04
This is scheduled to start from the 29th of March with the passenger service on a B777-200LR running Wednesdays, but a cargo joins as well during May and the passenger service moves to operating on a Monday with the cargo taking the Wednesday slot on a A330-200F. The flight numbers will change with the cargo flight taking TF431/432.
Very much hope both services will begin, think the cargo service is more likely.

so seems the 20 Mar is loaded as a 777 as below

120MARASBLON
20MAR MON ASB/Z¥5 LON/-5
1T5 423 C I D R J B O *ASBSTN 0900 1050 77L 0 M
Z E Y H T Q S W
1T5 424 C I D R J B O *STNASB 1250 0005¥1 77L 0 M
Z E Y H T Q S W

from the 29 march moves to a Wednesday service but looks to be a 737 which is a shame

29MAR WED ASB/Z¥5 LON/-4
1T5 421 C I D R J B O *ASBSTN 1300 1550 73H 0 W
Z E Y H T Q S W
2T5 422 C I D R J B O *STNASB 1750 0400¥1 73H 0 W
Z E Y H T Q S W

weirdly enough LHR still showing in the system albeit with 0 availability on a 757 so this I assume will soon be removed once availability is loaded for STN

29MAR WED LON/Z¥1 ASB/¥4
1T5 424 C Y D T Q G LHRASB 1835 0445¥1 752 0 W
2T5 423 C Y D T Q G ASBLHR 1410 1650 752 0 W

davidjohnson6
9th Mar 2023, 14:22
Hadn't seen this mentioned on this thread - Ryanair to reopen their route to Osijek in north east Croatia on 2 June 2023, flying Mondays and Fridays
https://www.exyuaviation.com/2023/03/ryanair-returning-to-osijek.html

daz211
9th Mar 2023, 19:21
One of FlyPOP’s A333’s is currently en route BYJ - STN.

flying under Hi Fly HFM450P.
Reg 9H-PTP.
Eta 20.49 local time.
Not sure how long it will be on the ground, or the reason for its visit, or for that matter where it will be heading next.

Has anyone at STN heard anymore Regarding Scheduled operations starting in the near future.

SWBKCB
9th Mar 2023, 19:59

Reg 9H-PTP.
Eta 20.49 local time.
Not sure how long it will be on the ground, or the reason for its visit, or for that matter where it will be heading next.

Has anyone at STN heard anymore Regarding Scheduled operations starting in the near future.

Have they got a UK AOC or permission from the Indians?

AircraftOperations
9th Mar 2023, 21:22
One of FlyPOP’s A333’s is currently en route BYJ - STN. flying under Hi Fly HFM450P.Reg 9H-PTP.Eta 20.49 local time.Not sure how long it will be on the ground, or the reason for its visit, or for that matter where it will be heading next. Has anyone at STN heard anymore Regarding Scheduled operations starting in the near future. ​​​​​​​FR24 suggests a loaded sector as HFM to YEG tomorrow morning. Perhaps a charter for military personnel?

STN406
10th Mar 2023, 08:24

Reg 9H-PTP.
Eta 20.49 local time.

Its purely a coincidence that Hifly have sent one of the FlyPop planes to Stansted for its charter to Edmonton

daz211
10th Mar 2023, 16:27
Its purely a coincidence that Hifly have sent one of the FlyPop planes to Stansted for its charter to Edmonton
Still nice to see it at its home base.

goldeneye
14th Mar 2023, 10:28
Admin please delete.

Been told it’s common knowledge.

STN406
14th Mar 2023, 10:32
EK to bring double daily back this summer.

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/emirates-to-run-119-uk-dubai-flights-a-week-this-summer

Yes! We all know. This was reported quite some time ago!

Droidd
14th Mar 2023, 12:49
any updates on the others ?

Tus air (U8) on their way from LCA now.

5B-DDP

STN406
14th Mar 2023, 13:19
Tus air (U8) on their way from LCA now.

5B-DDP

It’s a charter for AEK Larnaca. Playing West Ham on Thursday night.

JW95
21st Mar 2023, 12:36
With the flurry of announcements at LGW over the last week concerning new airline deals and route launches, MAG must be furiously wringing their hands together that they have not managed to tempt some of this away from LGW towards STN. The news that Emirates will be reinstating double daily 77W flights to DXB this summer is of course welcome, however, it is a shame that MAG haven't been able to expand long haul beyond this - will they ever be able to, after all of the investment they've put into Stansted since taking over in 2013? No doubt they must be especially annoyed with the fact that Air India have chosen not to return to STN in favour of an expanded operation at LGW.

SWBKCB
21st Mar 2023, 12:47
What does the flurry of announcements at LGW represent in terms of terminal throughput?

AirportPlanner1
21st Mar 2023, 13:37
Some of what LGW has picked up I don’t think would have come to STN anyway, I doubt for example Sky Express would have gone up against FR.

Air India has already been discussed. Saudi was a bit of a surprise and it’s disappointing they couldn’t have been tempted given they already operate to MAN.

daz211
21st Mar 2023, 15:29
Some of what LGW has picked up I don’t think would have come to STN anyway, I doubt for example Sky Express would have gone up against FR.

Air India has already been discussed. Saudi was a bit of a surprise and it’s disappointing they couldn’t have been tempted given they already operate to MAN.

There is still FlyPOP to look forward too, they must be pretty close at a launch date.

Sotonsean
21st Mar 2023, 23:53
There is still FlyPOP to look forward too, they must be pretty close at a launch date.

Are you really edging your bets towards a launch date for FlyPOP or was it just a humorous comment.

If so I believe any announcement might be made on Saturday 01 April 2023.

Sotonsean
22nd Mar 2023, 01:54
With the flurry of announcements at LGW over the last week concerning new airline deals and route launches, MAG must be furiously wringing their hands together that they have not managed to tempt some of this away from LGW towards STN. The news that Emirates will be reinstating double daily 77W flights to DXB this summer is of course welcome, however, it is a shame that MAG haven't been able to expand long haul beyond this - will they ever be able to, after all of the investment they've put into Stansted since taking over in 2013? No doubt they must be especially annoyed with the fact that Air India have chosen not to return to STN in favour of an expanded operation at LGW.

I totally agree with you on all counts as you have made some good points.

MAG could come to a deal and persuade Singapore Airlines to operate from London Stansted. My personal opinion would be for Singapore Airlines to operate Singapore to Houston via London Stansted rather than via Manchester. London Stansted would have two major carriers with Emirates and Singapore Airlines and this could persuade other long haul airlines to consider London Stansted for future expansion possibilities.

The US carrier Frontier Airlines are receiving the first of a fleet of Airbus A321neoXLR in 2024 and have recently stated on various aviation and travel outlets that they are considering flying transatlantic routes, initially from their Philadelphia hub. With London Stansted currently lacking any transatlantic connections then Frontier Airlines could be a possibility. Frontier Airlines might prefer to have the market to themselves rather than try and fight it out with other carriers at London Gatwick.

I wouldn't totally overlook American Airlines in resuming London Stansted again some time in the future, for a third attempt I may add. I can easily forsee a possible New York JFK flight with their incoming fleet of A321neoLXR.

Hopefully London Stansted can be successful in regaining service from El Al again at some point in the future. The Israeli airline Israir are looking to expand their European presence, perhaps they could be a future possibility.

With the success of Emirates at STN and the ever expanding Qatar Airways perhaps they might consider a DOH-STN service sometime in the future to compliment it's current freighter operation at the airport. Both airlines could then claim that they offer flights to Dubai and Doha from all of London's three major airports.

Turkish Airlines are hopeful of spinning of it's short haul brand Anadolujet as a stand alone company. If and when this occurs it would be good to see Turkish Airlines operate their own flights to London Stansted from IST to compliment it's current freighter operation at the airport.

In recent weeks we have seen the recent expansion from Saudia to the UK. The airline is expanding service to London Heathrow as well as opening up service to Birmingham and London Gatwick.

With the new national carrier for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia commencing operations within the next two years there might be an opportunity for the Saudi low cost operator Flynas to resume operations to London.

Flynas previously served JED-LGW and a very brief RUH-LGW service several years ago. With a modern fleet of a mix of A320neo and A321neoXLR on order and with the airline recently expanding operations further into Europe perhaps Flynas could be a future possibility for London Stansted.

The privately owned Tajikistan airline Somon Air have previously ordered and cancelled wide body orders for Boeing 767 (2016) and Boeing 787 (2019). The airline has recently announced that they are again considering ordering wide body aircraft with a potential order for three Boeing 787 aircraft. Somon Air have expansion plans and have recently expanded into Europe with a connection between the Tajikistan capital of Dushanbe and Munich in Germany.

With Turkmenistan Airlines recently commencing flights to London Stansted from the region, flying from the Turkmenistan capital of Ashgabat, perhaps there could be a possibility that Somon Air could announce a Dushanbe to London Stansted route at some point in the future.

Before the pandemic Air Senegal announced a Daker to London Stansted route. This never occurred for obvious reasons but perhaps they might take another look at the airport if they do eventually decide in serving London. Although I suspect that if Air Senegal do finally get around to announce Dakar to London again it'll more than likely be to Gatwick rather than to Stansted.

I'm sure at some point TUI will resume long haul leisure flights again from London Stansted. A huge market that is now totally overlooked from the airport. The most obvious destination being Melbourne (Orlando), possibly Cancun and a long shot a return to Las Vegas and Montego Bay. As well as a winter series of flights to Barbados in connection with P&O Cruises fly cruise operations based in the region.

If TUI don't resume long haul from London Stansted in the coming years I'm sure that Jet2 will probably announce something similar in the future.

​​​​​​I would love to see the airport secure more long haul airlines destinations and most importantly regain a transatlantic link to North America. But in the short term I can't think of how long haul could really expand at London Stansted other than from what I have mentioned above.

Although I'm not local to London Stansted but I've always had a very close affection for the airport along with London Gatwick. It's for that reason that I want both to be successful airports especially when it comes to gaining long haul airlines.
​​​​​​​

davidjohnson6
22nd Mar 2023, 02:04
I am dubious about any airline flying between Tajikistan and the UK... it seems like a significant security risk. I would expect any aircraft, cargo and passengers flying from Dushanbe to the UK to be required to be rescreened somewhere en route.

Sotonsean
22nd Mar 2023, 03:58
I am dubious about any airline flying between Tajikistan and the UK... it seems like a significant security risk. I would expect any aircraft, cargo and passengers flying from Dushanbe to the UK to be required to be rescreened somewhere en route.

To a certain extent I fully agree with you but is there any real difference regarding any significant security risk in the same as way as with Iran Air flying direct between Tehran and London Heathrow.

Iran and Tajikistan are two countries that are under the control of authoritarianism governance and both are conceived as a security risk. Even Turkmenistan is classed as a high security risk and the country is under the control of a totalitarian hereditary dictatorship. But Turkmenistan Airlines have just commenced a direct flight between Ashgabat and London Stansted. Iran Air are able to fly direct from Tehran to London Heathrow so I can't see why Somon Air couldn't be able to do the same flying between Dushanbe and London Stansted.

davidjohnson6
22nd Mar 2023, 14:19
Iran has a highly effective security apparatus able to deal with threats from neighbouring Afghanistan. While the Tajik-Afghan border is officially closed, I am not sure the Tajik Govt is able to deal with groups based in Afghanistan that wish to make trouble. Turkmenistan has buckets of cash from gas reserves; Tajikistan is poor and relies on opium/heroin smuggling from Afghanistan
The UK Govt has additional security controls for some flights from Antalya in Turkey to the UK. I just can't see the UK Govt allowing nonstop flights from Dushanbe to any UK airport, whatever Somon Air may promise.
Stansted's business development team need to look at other airlines.

pamann
22nd Mar 2023, 16:19
I'm sure at some point TUI will resume long haul leisure flights again from London Stansted. A huge market that is now totally overlooked from the airport. The most obvious destination being Melbourne (Orlando), possibly Cancun and a long shot a return to Las Vegas and Montego Bay. As well as a winter series of flights to Barbados in connection with P&O Cruises fly cruise operations based in the region.

There are massive gaps in Tui’s short haul offering from STN that needs addressing before any long haul considerations. Routes not currently featured include some of the most popular tourist destinations; Lanzarote, Fuerteventura, Faro, Agadir, Cape Verde, Enfidha (Tunisia), Hurghada, Larnaca, Bodrum, Santorini, Skiathos, Kos, Dubrovnik and Naples. They don’t even feature any mainland Spanish airports such as Reus, Alicante or Malaga. A third based short haul aircraft is desperately needed in the summer months for a more diverse offering. Their current offering is very limited to say the least.

daz211
22nd Mar 2023, 16:39
There are massive gaps in Tui’s short haul offering from STN that needs addressing before any long haul considerations. Routes not currently featured include some of the most popular tourist destinations; Lanzarote, Fuerteventura, Faro, Agadir, Cape Verde, Enfidha (Tunisia), Hurghada, Larnaca, Bodrum, Santorini, Skiathos, Kos, Dubrovnik and Naples. They don’t even feature any mainland Spanish airports such as Reus, Alicante or Malaga. A third based short haul aircraft is desperately needed in the summer months for a more diverse offering. Their current offering is very limited to say the least.
I don’t think there is much room for TUI short Haul, Bucket and Spade flights.
Jet2 and Ryanair have the pretty much covered.
in the future I see Jet2 launching Orlando, and a few other transatlantic holiday routes, but not in the next few years.
Im also thinking Aer Lingus may mirror the Manchester routes once they launch a few more from Manchester.

Travel24
22nd Mar 2023, 16:57
in the future I see Jet2 launching Orlando, and a few other transatlantic holiday routes, but not in the next few years.
Im also thinking Aer Lingus may mirror the Manchester routes once they launch a few more from Manchester.

I think the future of Longhaul travel at Stansted is either at least a few years away or will be very limited. Airlines like Aer Lingus doing longhaul at Stansted is 0 percent, Jet 2 doing longhaul is around 10 percent, they will start longhaul at Manchester first. Since Covid we have definitely seen the pecking order of london airports for airlines. 1st heathrow 2nd Gatwick then whoever.

Tunisair has completely abandoned Stansted now they have picked up more slots at Gatwick. Im sorry but if your airports biggest airline is Ryanair your not going to attract the renowned airlines apart from when Heathrow and Gatwick are completely full which they both were precovid which is why air india announced flights there. As soon as turkmenistan airlines get slots at these two airports they will be gone too.

At this moment of time I don't see any other longhaul carrier staying permanently at Stansted apart from Emirates which if anything goes wrong will ditch it too. I would be hugely surprised if TUI ever did any longhaul route from Stansted.

I might be wrong of course but that just seems the trend at this moment of time.

pamann
22nd Mar 2023, 16:59

Not quite. Hurghada, Tunisia and Cape Verde would have no competition whatsoever. Dubrovnik could connect with their cruises programme, like it does from other U.K. airports. All the destinations they currently feature are up against Jet2 and Ryanair and appear to hold their own, most likely helped by their exclusive products/branding such as Sensatori, Robinson and Tui Blue etc. Definitely scope for improvement, but with Tui it does seem their focus is on the big three; LGW/BHX/MAN and to a degree BRS which actually supports a pretty good offering from all four; TUI, Jet2, Easy & Ryanair. So there’s definitely room for three at STN with an expanded offering.
Don’t forget that before Jet2 turned up, people on here said the same back then about them showing up on Ryanair’s turf. Look at how that’s turned out.

daz211
22nd Mar 2023, 17:05
Not quite. Hurghada, Tunisia and Cape Verde would have no competition whatsoever. Dubrovnik could connect with their cruises programme, like it does from other U.K. airports. All the destinations they currently feature are up against Jet2 and Ryanair and appear to hold their own, most likely helped by their exclusive products/branding such as Sensatori, Robinson and Tui Blue etc. Definitely scope for improvement, but with Tui it does seem their focus is on the big three; LGW/BHX/MAN and to a degree BRS which actually supports a pretty good offering from all four; TUI, Jet2, Easy & Ryanair. So there’s definitely room for three at STN with an expanded offering.
Would TUI expanding at STN require a reintroduction of a Base.
I also heard a last week that Tunisair may be coming to STN in the very near future.

pamann
22nd Mar 2023, 17:05
Would TUI expanding at STN require a reintroduction of a Base.
I also heard a last week that Tunisair may be coming to STN in the very near future.

They have a base at STN.

Tunisair have pulled their proposed STN flying this summer.

FRatSTN
22nd Mar 2023, 17:38
TUI have operated at STN with 2 aircraft I think going all the way back to 2009. Before that it was First Choice Airways. I'm not sure Thomsonfly as was had a base at STN, only the odd W-pattern, but Britannia had a couple of 757's based prior to that. The regular long-haul programme only operated for Summer 2016 and 17.

Until Covid at least, TUI's growth at most regional UK bases like CWL, EMA, NCL, previously DSA, had been still fairly modest but all out-paced STN.

The clear change to the STN offering at least has been a reduction in destinations offered but better frequencies on those that have remained to allow 10 & 11 night durations to package holidays. Other than SSH (no competition) every destination is served at least 2x weekly during the summer. Until 2019 they were still serving I think BOJ, EFL, FAO, KGS, LCA, LPA, TFS and ZTH all with just 1 weekly flight.

STN would seem a prime place for at least a third aircraft to re-instate some of those destinations alongside the better frequencies. Whilst they've reduced LTN to just 1 aircraft it's clear their primary focus is LGW. That said they sell a lot of packages using EasyJet flights, so their package holidays offering from STN is comparitively limited.

As for long-haul, they've probably got about the right balance now, but EMA first, then probably STN would seem best placed for those.

JW95
22nd Mar 2023, 18:27
I totally agree with you on all counts as you have made some good points.

MAG could come to a deal and persuade Singapore Airlines to operate from London Stansted. My personal opinion would be for Singapore Airlines to operate Singapore to Houston via London Stansted rather than via Manchester. London Stansted would have two major carriers with Emirates and Singapore Airlines and this could persuade other long haul airlines to consider London Stansted for future expansion possibilities.

The US carrier Frontier Airlines are receiving the first of a fleet of Airbus A321neoXLR in 2024 and have recently stated on various aviation and travel outlets that they are considering flying transatlantic routes, initially from their Philadelphia hub. With London Stansted currently lacking any transatlantic connections then Frontier Airlines could be a possibility. Frontier Airlines might prefer to have the market to themselves rather than try and fight it out with other carriers at London Gatwick.

I wouldn't totally overlook American Airlines in resuming London Stansted again some time in the future, for a third attempt I may add. I can easily forsee a possible New York JFK flight with their incoming fleet of A321neoLXR.

Hopefully London Stansted can be successful in regaining service from El Al again at some point in the future. The Israeli airline Israir are looking to expand their European presence, perhaps they could be a future possibility.

With the success of Emirates at STN and the ever expanding Qatar Airways perhaps they might consider a DOH-STN service sometime in the future to compliment it's current freighter operation at the airport. Both airlines could then claim that they offer flights to Dubai and Doha from all of London's three major airports.

Turkish Airlines are hopeful of spinning of it's short haul brand Anadolujet as a stand alone company. If and when this occurs it would be good to see Turkish Airlines operate their own flights to London Stansted from IST to compliment it's current freighter operation at the airport.

In recent weeks we have seen the recent expansion from Saudia to the UK. The airline is expanding service to London Heathrow as well as opening up service to Birmingham and London Gatwick.

With the new national carrier for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia commencing operations within the next two years there might be an opportunity for the Saudi low cost operator Flynas to resume operations to London.

Flynas previously served JED-LGW and a very brief RUH-LGW service several years ago. With a modern fleet of a mix of A320neo and A321neoXLR on order and with the airline recently expanding operations further into Europe perhaps Flynas could be a future possibility for London Stansted.

The privately owned Tajikistan airline Somon Air have previously ordered and cancelled wide body orders for Boeing 767 (2016) and Boeing 787 (2019). The airline has recently announced that they are again considering ordering wide body aircraft with a potential order for three Boeing 787 aircraft. Somon Air have expansion plans and have recently expanded into Europe with a connection between the Tajikistan capital of Dushanbe and Munich in Germany.

With Turkmenistan Airlines recently commencing flights to London Stansted from the region, flying from the Turkmenistan capital of Ashgabat, perhaps there could be a possibility that Somon Air could announce a Dushanbe to London Stansted route at some point in the future.

Before the pandemic Air Senegal announced a Daker to London Stansted route. This never occurred for obvious reasons but perhaps they might take another look at the airport if they do eventually decide in serving London. Although I suspect that if Air Senegal do finally get around to announce Dakar to London again it'll more than likely be to Gatwick rather than to Stansted.

If TUI don't resume long haul from London Stansted in the coming years I'm sure that Jet2 will probably announce something similar in the future.

​​​​​​I would love to see the airport secure more long haul airlines destinations and most importantly regain a transatlantic link to North America. But in the short term I can't think of how long haul could really expand at London Stansted other than from what I have mentioned above.

Although I'm not local to London Stansted but I've always had a very close affection for the airport along with London Gatwick. It's for that reason that I want both to be successful airports especially when it comes to gaining long haul airlines.

Not that I am disagreeing with you at all my friend, as I too had previously had an affection for, and use STN occasionally, but what makes you think that SIA, of all full service airlines would be tempted to relocate the SIN-MAN-IAH route to Stansted? Granted, MAN and STN are now under the same ownership (MAG), but as amazing as it would be for STN, I find it difficult to see Singapore Airlines wanting to operate from an airport that has become over-dominated by Ryanair. Plus, there is the question of lounges to consider. MAG have so far only invested into one lounge (Escape) in the main terminal, which is often subject to over-crowding and long queues to get in. SIA would probably request and expect access to a higher quality lounge for its business class customers, which would presumably need to be subsidised by MAG and would go into satellite 1. A big investment; would MAG be willing to spend this money? Believe me, I would love something like this to come to fruition for the airport, as STN has long been too overly dominated by FR, which has gradually pushed other airlines, both full service and low cost away to other rival airports, such as LGW - but I think it would be unlikely to see an SIA A350 at STN any time soon sadly :(

Looking into the transatlantic side, I still believe that there exists some scope for STN-US services, particularly now with the emergence of new, smaller long-ranged aircraft that simply did not exist when American Airlines, EOS and MaxJet were here during 2005-2008, namely the A321-NEO. I see potential in JetBlue branching out to STN once they have suitably covered both LHR and LGW as far as slots are concerned, perhaps with a daily STN-JFK service, but sadly I think this is some way off yet. If and when they were to enter STN, no doubt American would watch closely and may decide to make a 3rd attempt at STN. What worries me is that they may be quick to jump ship yet again if it didn't work out (a la the 2008 exit). Back then, I remember AA were seemingly interested in sticking it out at STN for the long run, and were even readying for their own, purpose built executive lounge in satellite 2 (I think where Weatherspoons Express is now?).

Qatar Airways - they have 193 new aircraft on the books now, so may seek to imitate the EK strategy by opening up a third London airport (STN) with either the 787-8 or A350-900. Again, I believe QR will only consider STN in the event that no further long-term slots are available at both LHR and LGW.

Sotonsean
22nd Mar 2023, 22:02
JW95
Again I agree with you and you made some good points that I had completely overlooked, in particular a lounge facility for any possible Singapore Airlines operation.

UnderASouthernSky
22nd Mar 2023, 22:56
I understood that one of the reasons that MAN originally won the SQ IAH flight was the ability to feed transfer pax to aid loads - with particular reference to O&G industry pax from ABZ.
Would STN be available to offer a comparable angle? Certainly no transfer option at STN as it stands.

Skipness One Foxtrot
23rd Mar 2023, 01:58
Emirates are remarkably exceptional, they even offer a daily B77W to NCL. So having Emirates doesn't really mean there's scope for that much more long haul IMHO. And there's nothing wrong with being dominated by Ryanair, STN has way more European destinations than LHR, on modern and efficent Boeings.
I can't see MAN losing their MAN-SIN service of 30+ years just to open up another London airport for SIN. It's not like the longstanding MAN-SIN traffic is going to use STN.

Keanaga
23rd Mar 2023, 08:30
Hi
Long haul but cargo,China cargo commence 3 weekly on Sunday 26th March.

B777 .

Regards.

JW95
23rd Mar 2023, 11:10
Given the long history of STN-Istanbul flights, It would be great to have Turkish Airlines back at Stansted, who I think last served the airport in 2009/10, whereupon they moved to LGW. There has also been an increase with LCCs serving the main airport of Istanbul, such as Wizz Air's upcoming services from both LTN and LGW, leaving STN as the only major London airport without a service to IST (not counting the existing services to SAW). Hopefully MAG can convince TK to re-open STN, as this would be a major win for the airport in terms of the vast amount of short and long haul connections available via IST.

The other airline I'm thinking of is Aegean, who are no stranger to STN, having originally initiated their London operations from here prior to their move to LHR. With Sky Express joining the likes of Wizz and EasyJet against Aegean's (seasonal) service to ATH, could they be tempted to move to Stansted where there is far less competition on the same route? Granted, FR stepped in not long after Aegean left STN, however, they only serve the route once daily, and I'd imagine that there would be many more connections available if one were to fly with Aegean versus FR.

Keanaga
23rd Mar 2023, 11:47
Jet2 start this route next week I think 3 a week.

Droidd
23rd Mar 2023, 15:21
TK did run extra flights from STN to IST in the run up to Christmas last year in Turkish Airlines livieried AC.

I suspect that at the moment they don't want to serve the two airports from STN, as many people will just chose the cheaper SAW flights, unless going to IST for the connections.

There is talk of Anadolu Jet being seperated from Turkish so I don't think that we will see IST and SAW served from STN until that happens.

JW95
23rd Mar 2023, 16:55
TK did run extra flights from STN to IST in the run up to Christmas last year in Turkish Airlines livieried AC.

I suspect that at the moment they don't want to serve the two airports from STN, as many people will just chose the cheaper SAW flights, unless going to IST for the connections.

There is talk of Anadolu Jet being seperated from Turkish so I don't think that we will see IST and SAW served from STN until that happens.

That is a very good point- I'd definitely agree that there will be much higher chances of TK resuming STN-IST on a permanent basis once Anadolu Jet is sold off.

On a different note, is there anything significant planned this year as far as the STN transformation programme is concerned? Last I heard was that the arrivals building has now been scrapped in favour of a second terminal and new satellite, unless this has also changed? Also, does anyone think MAG will ever invest some ££ in re-commissioning the jet bridges on satellite 2? I am aware there are only 2-3 that are operational, but the remainder have been untouched and unused for many years.

STN406
23rd Mar 2023, 18:22
That is a very good point- I'd definitely agree that there will be much higher chances of TK resuming STN-IST on a permanent basis once Anadolu Jet is sold off.

On a different note, is there anything significant planned this year as far as the STN transformation programme is concerned? Last I heard was that the arrivals building has now been scrapped in favour of a second terminal and new satellite, unless this has also changed? Also, does anyone think MAG will ever invest some ££ in re-commissioning the jet bridges on satellite 2? I am aware there are only 2-3 that are operational, but the remainder have been untouched and unused for many years.

In terms of development at Stansted the front of security will be redesigned with new and frequent fresh look. Also new CTX X-ray machines will be retrofitted into security. Otherwise nothing major is happening at all. No plans to be spoken of or real idea of what’s to come in terms of a transformation project.
Many ideas have been rumoured but I’m a recent MAG colleague briefing given the current state is nothing is planned for now. Which is in my eyes very poor. We were told of plans for development at MAN and EMA (No specifics given) but nothing for Stansted.
Smaller works new escalators and lifts are been fitted slowly. The lounge area in sat1 is due to be fitted out for Emirates last I heard completion was due for summer. Continued runway and taxiway works over nights. Full over night closures finished on time last night and the new stage of reduced distance length begins in the coming weeks.
Off airport a new £5 million drive thru is going to be built off Thremhall Ave.

pamann
23rd Mar 2023, 19:13
In terms of development at Stansted the front of security will be redesigned with new and frequent fresh look. Also new CTX X-ray machines will be retrofitted into security. Otherwise nothing major is happening at all. No plans to be spoken of or real idea of what’s to come in terms of a transformation project.
Many ideas have been rumoured but I’m a recent MAG colleague briefing given the current state is nothing is planned for now. Which is in my eyes very poor. We were told of plans for development at MAN and EMA (No specifics given) but nothing for Stansted.
Smaller works new escalators and lifts are been fitted slowly. The lounge area in sat1 is due to be fitted out for Emirates last I heard completion was due for summer. Continued runway and taxiway works over nights. Full over night closures finished on time last night and the new stage of reduced distance length begins in the coming weeks.
Off airport a new £5 million drive thru is going to be built off Thremhall Ave.

You’d think they would finish off the half finished check-in area.

davidjohnson6
23rd Mar 2023, 19:26
STN406 - would it ever be possible for MAG to apply a coat of paint to the walls (and perhaps put in arm rests on the benches so it doesn't feel like an area for the homeless to sleep) in the downstairs quiet seating area underneath itsu, and maybe also re-cover the cushions on some of the benches in the (general) departures area ? I know these get heavy wear-and-tear, but some parts of the airport feel distinctly scruffy

SWBKCB
23rd Mar 2023, 20:00
Just a reminder - the last three years weren't a fever dream, there's a way to go to get back to 2019 and start to make up losses.

Sotonsean
23rd Mar 2023, 20:15
Emirates are remarkably exceptional, they even offer a daily B77W to NCL. So having Emirates doesn't really mean there's scope for that much more long haul IMHO. And there's nothing wrong with being dominated by Ryanair, STN has way more European destinations than LHR, on modern and efficent Boeings.
I can't see MAN losing their MAN-SIN service of 30+ years just to open up another London airport for SIN. It's not like the longstanding MAN-SIN traffic is going to use STN.

The conversation was regarding the possibility of SIN-MAN-IAH routing via STN instead of MAN.

The conversation was not regarding the long standing SIN-MAN service of 30+years.

Any possible SIN-STN-IAH routing could be an advantage for Singapore Airlines in serving another London airport. The routing would give STN a North American link to the west and one heading east to Southeast Asia. Singapore Airlines would be a great addition to STN if the airline ever did operate from the airport. Singapore Airlines would probably do well on cargo on the route. Singapore Airlines Cargo have previously although very briefly operated from STN in the past.

The NCL comparison is strange. STN as you are fully aware of is London's third largest airport serving 25 milion passengers a year. It's not NCL, a large regional city in the northeast of England serving a far smaller market. NCL is extremely fortunate to have a daily EK B773 to Dubai.

But as London's third largest and busiest airport then STN theoretically should have more than one long haul airline serving it. Having Ryanair as the dominant airline at STN shouldn't be a reason for long haul airlines to overlook the airport. As you stated, nothing wrong with that.

​​​​​​At least STN has a variety of long haul cargo airlines serving the airport and hopefully we might see some future expansion in that area.

​​​​​​​BUT
From all of the comments and for all of the points made from not only my own personal posts but from others, I think that we can come to the conclusion that this scenario regarding a possible SIN-STN-IAH will probably never occur for reasons others have pointed out. After all it was only meant as a hyperthetical question.

Sotonsean
23rd Mar 2023, 20:29
Hi
Long haul but cargo,China cargo commence 3 weekly on Sunday 26th March.

B777 .

Regards.

Do have a source or a link that you can attach as I've searched online but didn't come across anything related to your comments.

What particular airline are you referring to.

Is it China Cargo Airlines from Shanghai or China Airlines Cargo from Taipei, or even Air China Cargo?

On a side note.

Can you or anyone else confirm as to whether Silk Way Airlines have resumed their freighter flights between GYD-STN. As their aircraft have been noticed at STN on several occasions during the last few weeks or more.

SWBKCB
23rd Mar 2023, 20:33
NCL is extremely fortunate to have a daily EK B773 to Dubai.

Sometimes, the harder you work, the luckier you get...

The point SOF was making is that EK is not your normal long-haul airline and can make things work where others can't (A380's into GLA! ;)). So just because EK works at STN, doesn't mean others will

The routing would give STN a North American link to the west and one heading east to Southeast Asia.

And would remove from MAN a link to the west, and one to the east. Why would MAG want to do that? Clearly they would want SQ at STN, but surely not at the expense of MAN.

davidjohnson6
23rd Mar 2023, 20:48
Many on here will be aware of the importance of oil/gas to Houston and Aberdeen. I'm not sure people are aware of how much an oil trading hub that Singapore is

Travel24
23rd Mar 2023, 21:04
Honestly I love Stansted however hearing people say Singapore airlines might operate at the airport is laughable.

Having Ryanair as the main airline of an airport no matter how good it is, is going to put prestige airlines off.

the only carrier other than emirates that maybe will serve Stansted in the next year could be Qatar airways if it cannot find enough slots at Heathrow or Gatwick!

_aax1
23rd Mar 2023, 22:45
The above is just fantasy, the airport couldn’t even keep easyJet let alone Singapore.

I hope MAG start cleaning the toilets, invest in facilities, improve access and knock down that shed outside the front.

Unless they invest and find a USP, it will continue to be the sick man of London airports with solely Ryanair as its customer.

Keanaga
24th Mar 2023, 05:28
China cargo airlines Airport source.
Solway have commenced one a week on a Thurs from Baku.
Regards.

Keanaga
24th Mar 2023, 05:29
Silkway that is sorry too early.

AircraftOperations
24th Mar 2023, 10:10
Unless they invest and find a USP, it will continue to be the sick man of London airports with solely Ryanair as its customer.

Think you're underplaying the importance of Jet2 to STN and STN to Jet2.

Cazza_fly
24th Mar 2023, 10:40
Think you're underplaying the importance of Jet2 to STN and STN to Jet2.

And underplaying how powerful and popular Ryanair is.

JW95
24th Mar 2023, 12:43
STN406 - would it ever be possible for MAG to apply a coat of paint to the walls (and perhaps put in arm rests on the benches so it doesn't feel like an area for the homeless to sleep) in the downstairs quiet seating area underneath itsu, and maybe also re-cover the cushions on some of the benches in the (general) departures area ? I know these get heavy wear-and-tear, but some parts of the airport feel distinctly scruffy

I have to agree to this one. There are several areas in the terminal and the satellites that are looking very worn, which surprises me, considering the terminal was revamped not too long ago. The current state of the quiet seating area, for example is appalling, and generally gives off a very tired and dreary impression. Same goes for some of the seating areas in satellite 3: it looks very tired and should have been replaced and at least reupholstered. Satellite 2 in general is looking very dated and looks as if it has never been refurbished since it was opened in the 1990s. Granted, Covid-19 has impacted things at STN (as well as the vast majority of airports and businesses around the world), and measures to cut losses have of course been a necessity. However, now that air travel is well and truly recovering and passenger through flow increasing, I hope that MAG can begin finishing up on projects that had been started pre-pandemic, such as the shoreline check in design that has been mentioned. I think what would be a shame is if MAG decided to focus more on MAN and EMA and ignore STN as far as investment is concerned, as this would almost be a replay of what was happening under BAA ownership at STN.

inOban
24th Mar 2023, 12:47
Presumably the problem is that ryanair doesn't want to pay the level of fees which would fund this work .

Paulesx
27th Mar 2023, 21:29
So some interesting notes here

ITA with 1200 slots for FCO and LIN operation starting around 29 May 4 flights per day with 319/320

Royal Jordanian 2x p/w to AMM with 319

Turkmenistan there as is common knowledge but day 5 added with a 330 cargo aswell

Royal Air Moroc a few slots TNG, 2x p/w with 320/737 max from 19 June

sun air starting flights to MAN and GOT 3x pw with an FRJ

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiY2IxNDg3OTUtNmE1Mi00ZWZiLWJkOWItZjZhNjE3MThjN jhmIiwidCI6ImJhNzNmYjViLWM1ZWUtNGNiNy04NzFjLWU4YjI0NWQwYjY3Y iJ9

Travel24
27th Mar 2023, 21:44
Interesting RoyaL air Moroc have slots at Stansted to start a tangier route, however they have just announced Gatwick so thats not happening.

ITA airways also have loads of slots but i doubt they will use them at Stansted.

The Royal Jordanian one is very interesting however I think they will go to Gatwick too. It's sad to see!

pabely
27th Mar 2023, 23:23
Remember Royal Air Maroc & Royal Jordan are part of One World so I doubt they would want to take any interlined traffic away from small potential there might be at LGW.

STN406
28th Mar 2023, 04:43
All very interesting. Had Tunisair and Air Algerie last year so hearing some other regular LHR operators having slots is really good to hear.
I don’t agree with the statement that they would go LGW as they can interline due to oneworld. Just as an operator is in an alliance doesn’t mean they will interline or codeshare on every flight at another operators base.
As all ways it will be a wait and see.
I have seen ITA slots loaded on the flight display system for the summer holidays so could possibly happen but then again Air India slots were showing for this week up till a week ago.

Sunair from GOT/MAN I see the most likely to happen. Have operated to CBG for a while on charters so it’s possible.

pamann
28th Mar 2023, 11:09
All very interesting. Had Tunisair and Air Algerie last year so hearing some other regular LHR operators having slots is really good to hear.
I don’t agree with the statement that they would go LGW as they can interline due to oneworld. Just as an operator is in an alliance doesn’t mean they will interline or codeshare on every flight at another operators base.
As all ways it will be a wait and see.
I have seen ITA slots loaded on the flight display system for the summer holidays so could possibly happen but then again Air India slots were showing for this week up till a week ago.

Sunair from GOT/MAN I see the most likely to happen. Have operated to CBG for a while on charters so it’s possible.

I might be imagining this; but didn’t Alitalia operate some kind of limited schedule from the airport in the 00’s? We have seen Lufthansa and SAS at times during the last 20 or so years, so it is possible. But would it last is a better question?

Sun Air; doesn’t this operate from CBG for the pharmaceutical companies located near by? BA used to sell seats to GOT from CBG above the allocation taken up daily by said companies. I’m not up to speed on the recent goings on at CBG but perhaps their venture is coming to an end?

JW95
28th Mar 2023, 11:27
I think, with Jet2 launching STN-FCO, I can see potential for ITA Airways to launch STN as a competitive response to LS, particularly if they wish to expand their London operations and presently cannot do so, due to slot limitations at LHR. In a way, I am surprised that FR haven't reacted to this already by launching their own STN-FCO service as a replacement of, or compliment to the existing STN-CIA route, considering that they have built up a large base at FCO

JW95
28th Mar 2023, 11:46
With air travel now nearing pre-pandemic 2019 levels, what are the chances that EZY would re-open their former STN base? Granted, I know that they will be primarily focusing on maximising on LGW, which has always been their biggest UK base by far, and to a lesser extent, LTN. Would they ever expand beyond their 4 routes from STN? I fear that their peak at STN has been and gone, especially with LS having replaced them as the number 2 carrier at STN, but it would be nice to see some more variety.

pamann
28th Mar 2023, 12:58
With air travel now nearing pre-pandemic 2019 levels, what are the chances that EZY would re-open their former STN base? Granted, I know that they will be primarily focusing on maximising on LGW, which has always been their biggest UK base by far, and to a lesser extent, LTN. Would they ever expand beyond their 4 routes from STN? I fear that their peak at STN has been and gone, especially with LS having replaced them as the number 2 carrier at STN, but it would be nice to see some more variety.

Doesn't necessarily need a base. Could do with a few more routes from other bases such as Malaga and Geneva.

davidjohnson6
28th Mar 2023, 13:04
I think, with Jet2 launching STN-FCO, I can see potential for ITA Airways to launch STN as a competitive response to LS, particularly if they wish to expand their London operations and presently cannot do so, due to slot limitations at LHR. In a way, I am surprised that FR haven't reacted to this already by launching their own STN-FCO service as a replacement of, or compliment to the existing STN-CIA route, considering that they have built up a large base at FCO
Assuming Lufthansa will take over ITA... would a Stansted-Rome route be a priority from Lufthansa's point of view, given that none of LH, LX, OS or SN have routes to STN ? If you were an employee of ITA, would you sign off on opening a route to STN right now, or would you choose routes that would make you look good as an employee in Lufthansa's eyes ? Once LH take over ITA... management will likelt be looking for cost-saving synergies - ie cutting the number of employees

SWBKCB
28th Mar 2023, 13:15
Assuming Lufthansa will take over ITA... would a Stansted-Rome route be a priority from Lufthansa's point of view, given that none of LH, LX, OS or SN have routes to STN ? If you were an employee of ITA, would you sign off on opening a route to STN right now, or would you choose routes that would make you look good as an employee in Lufthansa's eyes ? Once LH take over ITA... management will likelt be looking for cost-saving synergies - ie cutting the number of employees

Presumably if a new route is to launched, it already has a sound business case?

Skipness One Foxtrot
28th Mar 2023, 13:49
Presumably if a new route is to launched, it already has a sound business case?
From experience it's often done by the patented airliners.net magical dartboard of drunken route planning. It seems someone broke the Magic 8 Ball.... Not everyone obvs, but way too often it's like this :

Leader : "I have had a most brilliant idea and I need you to find some supporting data."
Analyst : "There isn't much and it's not robust enough to support your business case."
Leader : "Then I am truly a visionary. Proceed"
Analyst ; Despairs (again)

See flybe (original and zombie versions), Eastern, recent BA shenanigans.

FRatSTN
28th Mar 2023, 16:02
They'd have a hard time reopening the base now as they've given away all their previous first wave slots.

Only way it could happen is if either Ryanair or Jet2 cut back on based aircraft (unlikely) or additional capacity added which is still some years away.

An increase in in-bound flying is the best they can do now.

pabely
28th Mar 2023, 17:19
More of a chance of a SEN base now.

AirportPlanner1
28th Mar 2023, 17:23
Loganair appear to be leaving at the end of April as they have slots for LDY at LHR. This has been on the cards since BE collapsed.

Paulesx
29th Mar 2023, 11:36
So seems Turkmenistan airlines flights are now operating to Heathrow as opposed to stansted, wow that was really short lived , literally 1 flight before it got switched over T5421 now on its way to LHR

daz211
29th Mar 2023, 12:15
ICELANDAIR 757-200 Due in this evening.
FI1042 LYR - STN.
ETA 19:20.

AirportPlanner1
29th Mar 2023, 13:15
ICELANDAIR 757-200 Due in this evening.
FI1042 LYR - STN.
ETA 19:20.

How have they managed that one, as a third country operator?

SWBKCB
29th Mar 2023, 13:29
Aren't Iceland part of the European "Open Skies"? Either that or no British operator capable/willing to do it?

davidjohnson6
29th Mar 2023, 13:34
I thought one-off charters have a more liberal regime ? I can't see London-Svalbard in March being a regular route... I'm wondering who on earth needed to charter an aircraft for the flight - army for winter training is the only thing I can think of; it's too far north to see the northern lights, and tourists typically go around July

STN406
29th Mar 2023, 14:09
So seems Turkmenistan airlines flights are now operating to Heathrow as opposed to stansted, wow that was really short lived , literally 1 flight before it got switched over T5421 now on its way to LHR

Whats your proof. Flightradar ??

Paulesx
29th Mar 2023, 14:27

yes Flightradar24 showing as flight due to touch down into LHR, nothing showing up on Flightradar24 for Stansted despite the Stansted website saying it’s a scheduled arrival today

https://www.stanstedairport.com/flight-information/arrivals/

https://www.stanstedairport.com/flight-information/arrivals/itinerary/?id=T5421-20230329A (https://www.stanstedairport.com/flight-information/arrivals/)

pamann
29th Mar 2023, 14:54

And looking at FR it looks like it’s about to join the approach into Stansted any minute now…

Today’s lesson… FR isn’t always right :ok:

pamann
29th Mar 2023, 15:01
And here she is on the approach…

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1242x1999/1e7b1c4e_9e4a_4783_961d_4a4115ea4572_1ae9407b50c794ffcbba8fa 2e654915cf610b88c.jpeg

Paulesx
29th Mar 2023, 15:07
And here she is on the approach…

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1242x1999/1e7b1c4e_9e4a_4783_961d_4a4115ea4572_1ae9407b50c794ffcbba8fa 2e654915cf610b88c.jpeg
mmm ok fair enough, it’s a weird flight as not even viewable or bookable on their website , when you look in a GDS both Heathrow and Stansted are loaded to view but classes all blocked out and when you look at ACL summer report they have LHR and STN slots allocated so , yea def a weird one

daz211
29th Mar 2023, 19:27
Well what ever ICELANDAIR was doing, it landed and is heading to the Northside.

ClearedToNowhere
29th Mar 2023, 20:42
Well what ever ICELANDAIR was doing, it landed and is heading to the Northside.

National Geographic charter flight from Svalbard, handled by Harrods.

STN406
30th Mar 2023, 06:52
A great start for Jet2 this morning on the new routes to ATH and FCO. 186 passengers on the ATH and 187 on the FCO.
good to see these routes starting so well for Jet2. Hopefully they continue for them and for Stansted.

Additional Stansted will have 40,431 departing passengers today and 37,333 arriving.

Flying Wild
30th Mar 2023, 21:11
G-SUNB due for delivery to EMA on 1st April. Let hope it's no joke :)

pabely
31st Mar 2023, 11:46
G-SUNB due for delivery to EMA on 1st April. Let hope it's no joke :)
Why is that news for Stansted, is it due to be based?
EZY are just about to get 2 new build 320NEOs originally for Viva Air Columbia and should arrive at LGW soon, should we post on Luton thread as EZY are a Luton based airline?

davidjohnson6
3rd Apr 2023, 15:36
It seems there is a rational for Turkmenistan Airlines flying to the UK...
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230403-t5del

Paulesx
3rd Apr 2023, 16:38
It seems there is a rational for Turkmenistan Airlines flying to the UK...
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230403-t5del

If part of their plan to boost load factor on their London flight is based on taking london - Delhi traffic via Turkmenistan then would help if their Delhi flights connected, from what I see the Ashgabat - Delhi flight is on a Sunday, with their London Stansted - Ashgabat flight being on a Wednesday.

https://www.azernews.az/region/207363.html

https://www.flightconnections.com/flights-from-asb-to-del

inOban
3rd Apr 2023, 16:52
An increasing number of our seasonal agricultural workers are coming from that direction. Tajikistan was mentioned on TV last night. (Simon Reeve return to Cornwall ) Maybe that's the market?

Buster the Bear
3rd Apr 2023, 20:21
16th Jet2 airframe to be based this summer. https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/jet2-further-hikes-summer-stansted-capacity

AirportPlanner1
4th Apr 2023, 05:37
An increasing number of our seasonal agricultural workers are coming from that direction. Tajikistan was mentioned on TV last night. (Simon Reeve return to Cornwall ) Maybe that's the market?

I watched that. Don’t recall that one being written on the side of a bus.

JW95
4th Apr 2023, 10:03
16th Jet2 airframe to be based this summer. https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/jet2-further-hikes-summer-stansted-capacity
Great news! I would not be surprised to see a 20 a/c base at STN at some point given their expansion at STN in recent years. How does this compare to EasyJet's peak capacity at STN when they had a base here?

I'm also wondering whether we may eventually see some of the new A320/21-NEOs based at STN at some point?

chaps1954
4th Apr 2023, 16:47
The number they have on order I would think so but not this year maybe next year or year after.as they will operate the Canary Islands and longer haul heavy lift flights.
One of the older A321ceo has already moved to BHX as G-SUNB is due in MAN on Thursday from EMA where it is having stencils put on

pabely
4th Apr 2023, 17:34
More of a reason to keep them up North for the longer legs and the NEO engines are still less reliable than the CEO models.
Are their many first wave slots available for increasing the number if based frames to 20? Wouldn't make business sense if you can't get them earning money before 9AM.

pamann
4th Apr 2023, 19:37
Great news! I would not be surprised to see a 20 a/c base at STN at some point given their expansion at STN in recent years. How does this compare to EasyJet's peak capacity at STN when they had a base here?

I'm also wondering whether we may eventually see some of the new A320/21-NEOs based at STN at some point?

I’m pretty sure EZY’s base consisted of around 6-8 based units, with a lot of inbounds from BFS, GLA & EDI similar to what happens now.

Skipness One Foxtrot
4th Apr 2023, 23:42
Fantastic news, and how wrong I was thnking they couldn't compete in Fortress Ryanair.

davidjohnson6
5th Apr 2023, 13:55
Last summer, Niceair chartered an A319 from Hi Fly Malta to fly STN to Akureyri in Iceland. They managed to operate a couple of flights before the CAA told them to sod off because the UK-Iceland bilateral doesn't allow EU carriers
Niceair said they would return. They won't - Icelandic news reports Niceair are shutting down
https://www.ruv.is/frettir/innlent/2023-04-05-niceair-aflysir-flugi-og-gerir-hle-a-starfsemi

pamann
5th Apr 2023, 14:17
Last summer, Niceair chartered an A319 from Hi Fly Malta to fly STN to Akureyri in Iceland. They managed to operate a couple of flights before the CAA told them to sod off because the UK-Iceland bilateral doesn't allow EU carriers
Niceair said they would return. They won't - Icelandic news reports Niceair are shutting down
https://www.ruv.is/frettir/innlent/2023-04-05-niceair-aflysir-flugi-og-gerir-hle-a-starfsemi

I’ve seen some niche routes in my time and that was certainly one of them. No real surprise.

AirportPlanner1
5th Apr 2023, 15:23
I’ve seen some niche routes in my time and that was certainly one of them. No real surprise.

It’s a shame, the area around Akureyi is pretty incredible and quite distant from Reykjavik. It’s got good potential but really needs someone like EZY dropping in a couple of times a week from their bigger bases, the cost of running a dedicated airline is always going to be an uphill battle. Transavia have served it for a few seasons, Egilsstadir to the east had German package flights in the past.

pamann
6th Apr 2023, 10:59
Looks like SunExpress may be moving their London ops from Luton to Stansted come October?

Thanks to SeanM1997 on Twitter.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1240x2000/d2a44426_8222_4240_927a_60df4cf5f00e_cd3f7ca89e6dbb9ebb66acc 2e88e4e9abd900a99.jpeg

pabely
6th Apr 2023, 12:59
As they are owned jointly by Lufthansa & Turkish Airlines it was a little of an odd ball for Luton but I think TUI used to block book seats. Perhaps TUI have decided to use someone else so the need to use Luton has disappeared? Pure speculation.
My thought is Wizzair will be itching to connect more Turkish airports at Luton anyhow once Blue Air slots become available for bidding by the administrators.

ea200
6th Apr 2023, 13:32
Competing with Pegasus on that route. Not very convenient flight times either.

Paulesx
6th Apr 2023, 16:34
Looking at the Sun Express website, seems their Luton - Antalya service is also not available to book for the winter 23/24 period, so no LTN flights at all, possibly been moved to Gatwick or potentially also switching to STN ??

What would really work would be TK mainline coming back on the STN - IST route, filling the Atlasjet void and enabling their IST
hub to pick up so much potential for onward traffic to the likes of CIS and Asia / Far East, demand is def there, same can be said for KLM reintroducing their AMS route as an onward hub.

Buster the Bear
6th Apr 2023, 18:36
Sun Express only operate around Christmas and New Year at Luton due lack of slots apparently.

LGS6753
7th Apr 2023, 09:14
Sun Express have been constrained by lack of slots at Luton, hence the move.

WHBM
7th Apr 2023, 10:07
Fantastic news, and how wrong I was thInking they couldn't compete in Fortress Ryanair.
I don't think Jet2 from Stansted (who I used this last week) are directly competitive with Ryanair, despite their northern background they are now a national brand whose only operation from London/South East is from Stansted. Their base load is from their package holiday side. I suspect their market would follow them whichever London airport they used. It was however a sensible choice for them, I suspect if they could get slots at Gatwick they would operate parallel flights from there.

Rutan16
7th Apr 2023, 14:48
I don't think Jet2 from Stansted (who I used this last week) are directly competitive with Ryanair, despite their northern background they are now a national brand whose only operation from London/South East is from Stansted. Their base load is from their package holiday side. I suspect their market would follow them whichever London airport they used. It was however a sensible choice for them, I suspect if they could get slots at Gatwick they would operate parallel flights from there.

MAG Group discounts will play a significant part in Jet2 and Harp decisions

That said Jet2 do operate block charters from Gatwick

Agreed they aren’t a direct head on competitor of either Ryanair or Easy being very much a hybrid tour company with airline attached business with limited back fill from sales largely targeted at the second home and Airbnb crowd.

JW95
13th Apr 2023, 09:29
Looking at the Sun Express website, seems their Luton - Antalya service is also not available to book for the winter 23/24 period, so no LTN flights at all, possibly been moved to Gatwick or potentially also switching to STN ??

What would really work would be TK mainline coming back on the STN - IST route, filling the Atlasjet void and enabling their IST
hub to pick up so much potential for onward traffic to the likes of CIS and Asia / Far East, demand is def there, same can be said for KLM reintroducing their AMS route as an onward hub.

I think there could be a reasonable chance of TK resuming its STN-IST service once AnadoluJet is spun off into an independent airline - as you rightly say, there is wealth of connection opportunities available from the main Istanbul airport with TK that currently aren't accessible via STN.

As far as KLM is concerned - this has been previously flagged up, and discussed earlier in the thread. With just 2 flights available to AMS with EZY, this is a far cry from when KLM, and later Buzz served the STN-AMS route, which I believe at its peak stood at 6 daily? KLM UK had a hub at STN back in the early 2000s and even had its own dedicated lounge in satellite 2 for business class passengers. Certainly they would be a welcome addition to STN for MAG I'm sure, especially given KLM's vast network from AMS. However, no doubt KLM would be mindful of how a return to Stansted might influence its passenger through flow from LHR and LCY. I'm doubtful we would ever see a return to a 6 daily service to AMS, but perhaps they could make a double-daily AMS flight work to begin with and adjust accordingly?

jdcg
13th Apr 2023, 11:20
As far as KLM is concerned - this has been previously flagged up, and discussed earlier in the thread. With just 2 flights available to AMS with EZY, this is a far cry from when KLM, and later Buzz served the STN-AMS route, which I believe at its peak stood at 6 daily? KLM UK had a hub at STN back in the early 2000s and even had its own dedicated lounge in satellite 2 for business class passengers. Certainly they would be a welcome addition to STN for MAG I'm sure, especially given KLM's vast network from AMS. However, no doubt KLM would be mindful of how a return to Stansted might influence its passenger through flow from LHR and LCY. I'm doubtful we would ever see a return to a 6 daily service to AMS, but perhaps they could make a double-daily AMS flight work to begin with and adjust accordingly?
It would probably also cannibalise their Norwich route so all in all, fairly unlikely

JW95
13th Apr 2023, 11:24
It would probably also cannibalise their Norwich route so all in all, fairly unlikely

Difficult to say RE. Norwich - as Norwich has been a well-established route for many years, and was being flown at the same time KLM UK flew STN-AMS at 5-6 daily in the early 2000s. So who knows? It would be nice to have them back, as I can't see EZY ever expanding beyond the current 2 daily flights to AMS, as they more-or-less gave up on STN in favour of LGW and LTN in 2020.

pabely
13th Apr 2023, 11:42
With AMS movements restrictions / reductions coming soon subject to EU courts I can't see any scope for anything new from STN, even for 2/day are any prized early morning / late tea time slots available other than the Loganair ones currently?

Buster the Bear
13th Apr 2023, 20:05
https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/stansted-gears-up-from-summer-as-march-numbers-hit-94-of-pre-covid-levels

JW95
17th Apr 2023, 19:04
Sad to see Logan Air leaving STN for LHR next month :(

pabely
17th Apr 2023, 19:26
Sad to see Logan Air leaving STN for LHR next month :(
Not sure the people of Londonderry would agree, opens the world up to them and saves travel to Belfast to catch other flights.
Ryanair do Manchester so they might jump in as Ryanair UK feeder?

Keanaga
17th Apr 2023, 20:02
Flights always full to Stansted those people didn't want the world to open up for them,purely a prestige decision by the airline.

JW95
17th Apr 2023, 21:22
Not sure the people of Londonderry would agree, opens the world up to them and saves travel to Belfast to catch other flights.
Ryanair do Manchester so they might jump in as Ryanair UK feeder?
I was thinking more that the loss of one of STN's airlines to LHR will equate to slightly less airline diversity and choice at Stansted which is a shame :(

Skipness One Foxtrot
17th Apr 2023, 21:52
Flights always full to Stansted those people didn't want the world to open up for them,purely a prestige decision by the airline.
Prestige? There are two really clear reasons to try this from LHR.
1. It's actually in London, on the Tube with red buses, Oyster and now the Elizabeth line so getting to your final destination will likely become much easier.
2. Even without the expected BA codeshare, the amount of people now able to make a one stop connection from long haul to City of Derry is now greatly enhanced. It's a driver of INBOUND tourism, the same reason Inverness were so supportive of BA relaunching LHR.

The spoiler here might be Ryanair UK looking at STN-LDY once more which would kill Loganair's LHR business case at birth.

davidjohnson6
17th Apr 2023, 22:34
For years, people complained that UK airports in economically struggling regions were not linked to the UK's main hub airport and thus found it harder to attract trade. This was even one of those "after Brexit this will be solved" claims.
DND and LDY have now got what they needed. It seems unreasonable for STN fanboys to complain that the regions get what they really need.

Disclaimer - I've flown to or from STN over 300 times, far more than any other airport - I am not anti-STN.

cavokblues
18th Apr 2023, 06:40
How exactly are PSOs funded? Are Loganair paid a set fee regardless of how many pax they fly or is it a set figure per pax?

Does flying to Heathrow potentially allow them to maximise profits by charging travelling pax extra for the privilege?

SWBKCB
18th Apr 2023, 07:49
Or does flying to Heathrow potentially allow them to maximise profits by flying passengers to actually where they want to go? Remember the aim of the PSO is to maximise access so it makes sense to operate to the airport with the biggest global reach.

DC3 Dave
18th Apr 2023, 08:07
Or does flying to Heathrow potentially allow them to maximise profits by flying passengers to actually where they want to go? Remember the aim of the PSO is to maximise access so it makes sense to operate to the airport with the biggest global reach.

I cannot disagree with your statement, but Loganair won the PSO operating LDY-SEN where it started from. Clearly global reach wasn’t uppermost on their minds at that time.

SWBKCB
18th Apr 2023, 08:32
I cannot disagree with your statement, but Loganair won the PSO operating LDY-SEN where it started from. Clearly global reach wasn’t uppermost on their minds at that time.

No - the PSO was for London, and they took what was available.

cavokblues
18th Apr 2023, 08:46
Cheers.

I thought the PSO were more about just a link to London for 'social and economic reasons' but that's quite vague so I guess could easily also include access.

AirportPlanner1
18th Apr 2023, 10:33

Actually it started at STN, got taken over by Logan after the demise of BMI, shifted to SEN, came back to STN in early Lockdown 1 because it made no sense for SEN to open the place for a handful of daily passengers, and stayed at STN.

Of course the PSO itself started following FR withdrawing from the London route, which was also a long-standing STN route. Sometime prior to that the old Jersey European also did STN-LDY, but there was a gap in service between.

JW95
18th Apr 2023, 10:49
Something I've never really understood at STN is the gate numbering system. I remember flying from Stansted many times when it was under BAA ownership, and swear the signs to security (which was in a landlocked, central location at the time, which I think is now part of the departure lounge, unless I'm wrong) all had "gates 1-99" on them. I've never understood this, as I'm sure there were/are nowhere near that number of gates split across the 3 satellites, and I also don't recall the APV being in use either. Similarly, gates 20-39 are marked as satellite 2 gates, but again, when departing from here, I only recall ever seeing signs for gates 29-34, and 36-38, so that makes only 9 gates total. Anyone know why this is?

JW95
18th Apr 2023, 11:34
A very interesting read from Weston Williamson & Partners regarding a project to revamp and modernise Satellite 2. Anyone know if this is actually happening/what the progress is on this?

Link :https://www.westonwilliamson.com/projects/stansted-airport-satellite-2-modernisation

STN406
18th Apr 2023, 12:22
A very interesting read from Weston Williamson & Partners regarding a project to revamp and modernise Satellite 2. Anyone know if this is actually happening/what the progress is on this?

Link :https://www.westonwilliamson.com/projects/stansted-airport-satellite-2-modernisation

These plans sound similar to what was planned pre-covid when MAG were going to add the new arrivals building, redesign the current building and upgrade SAT2 and SAT3. No plans are currently in place for anything like this unfortunately.

JW95
18th Apr 2023, 12:33
These plans sound similar to what was planned pre-covid when MAG were going to add the new arrivals building, redesign the current building and upgrade SAT2 and SAT3. No plans are currently in place for anything like this unfortunately.
Ahh, a shame :( :( unfortunately there is no date anywhere on the webpage as to when these plans relate to, so it isn't clear if this project was intended pre-pandemic or not, and to be honest, I don't recall having seen this pre-covid. They look great through, and I must say, a long overdue upgrade for SAT 2 if it comes to fruition.

pamann
18th Apr 2023, 13:05
Something I've never really understood at STN is the gate numbering system. I remember flying from Stansted many times when it was under BAA ownership, and swear the signs to security (which was in a landlocked, central location at the time, which I think is now part of the departure lounge, unless I'm wrong) all had "gates 1-99" on them. I've never understood this, as I'm sure there were/are nowhere near that number of gates split across the 3 satellites, and I also don't recall the APV being in use either. Similarly, gates 20-39 are marked as satellite 2 gates, but again, when departing from here, I only recall ever seeing signs for gates 29-34, and 36-38, so that makes only 9 gates total. Anyone know why this is?

I can’t remember the gate numbers ‘back in the day’ at SAT1, or if they have changed? But I can confirm that the transit system (APV) has been there and in use since the current terminal opened in 1991. It never used to go as far as SAT2 however. That addition came later.

JW95
18th Apr 2023, 13:24
I can’t remember the gate numbers ‘back in the day’ at SAT1, or if they have changed? But I can confirm that the transit system (APV) has been there and in use since the current terminal opened in 1991. It never used to go as far as SAT2 however. That addition came later.

Ahh sorry, my mistake, I meant that I never recall seeing gates 90-93 being in use under BAA. These were only brought back into use by MAG in 2016. So never got why BAA had signs quoting gates 1-99.

davidjohnson6
18th Apr 2023, 13:28
Would a big sign saying "Gates 1-99" be an effective way of communicating to passengers who speak little English "go this way to your gate, and don't ask questions" ?

STN406
18th Apr 2023, 15:57

The Track Transit System (TTS) and Advance Passenger Vehicle (APV) are two separate things. The TTS takes you to Gate 1-19 and 20-39 and the APV is Gates 90-93.

STN406
18th Apr 2023, 15:59
Ahh, a shame :( :( unfortunately there is no date anywhere on the webpage as to when these plans relate to, so it isn't clear if this project was intended pre-pandemic or not, and to be honest, I don't recall having seen this pre-covid. They look great through, and I must say, a long overdue upgrade for SAT 2 if it comes to fruition.

It’s definitely not current as MAG has no plans in the pipe line that are confirmed let alone plans being made. Most of the plans are all going at at MAN with the money made by STN and EMA

pamann
18th Apr 2023, 17:03
The Track Transit System (TTS) and Advance Passenger Vehicle (APV) are two separate things. The TTS takes you to Gate 1-19 and 20-39 and the APV is Gates 90-93.

So APV or advance passenger vehicle = bus?

STN406
18th Apr 2023, 19:09
So APV or advance passenger vehicle = bus?

No APV means APV it’s a building type. For stansted it’s the building you get a bus to your gate.

Skipness One Foxtrot
18th Apr 2023, 19:34
Why do you need a bus to Gates 90-93? Aren't they accesible via the walkway?

FRatSTN
18th Apr 2023, 19:39
Why do you need a bus to Gates 90-93? Aren't they accesible via the walkway?
They mean its the gates where you get a bus from which takes passengers to the remote stands in the Echo apron

Skipness One Foxtrot
18th Apr 2023, 21:53
Ah thanks FRatSTN, makes sense.

FRatSTN
21st Apr 2023, 11:56
Tui UK adds 1.1 million seats for summer 2024 | Travel Weekly (https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/tui-uk-adds-1-1-million-seats-for-summer-2024)

"30,000 seats added to and from Stansted"

Sadly not an awful lot compared to other airports and remains at 2 a/c. I assume additional morning slots would be tricky to obtain even if they wanted to add additional air frames.

Changes for S24 compared to S23 include additional PFO and RHO on a Tuesday and DLM on a Thursday, all seemingly replacing AYT services which remain on sale with duplicate times. Tuesday DLM switches to a third party operator. I assume AYT will also be changed to another operator in due course, can't see that route being cancelled.

Falcon666
21st Apr 2023, 17:48
Tui UK adds 1.1 million seats for summer 2024 | Travel Weekly (https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/tui-uk-adds-1-1-million-seats-for-summer-2024)

"30,000 seats added to and from Stansted"

Sadly not an awful lot compared to other airports and remains at 2 a/c. I assume additional morning slots would be tricky to obtain even if they wanted to add additional air frames.

Changes for S24 compared to S23 include additional PFO and RHO on a Tuesday and DLM on a Thursday, all seemingly replacing AYT services which remain on sale with duplicate times. Tuesday DLM switches to a third party operator. I assume AYT will also be changed to another operator in due course, can't see that route being cancelled.

Looks highly likely these will be the Sun Express transfer from Luton?

pamann
21st Apr 2023, 18:25
Looks highly likely these will be the Sun Express transfer from Luton?

I’d say more likely whole charters using one of the many Turkish outfits. This summer’s Friday Dalaman is moving from Tui metal to Freebird Airlines. I’d expect more of this next year.

davidjohnson6
3rd May 2023, 00:55
Air Moldova suspending operations (again)
https://www.airmoldova.md/news-records-ro/air-moldova-anunta-restructurarea-accelerata-a-companiei/

JW95
4th May 2023, 11:07
Air Moldova suspending operations (again)
https://www.airmoldova.md/news-records-ro/air-moldova-anunta-restructurarea-accelerata-a-companiei/
Hoping it won't go down the same route as Blue Air did and disappear :( Would be a shame for STN too.

JW95
9th May 2023, 16:19
I have a feeling that FR is set to become quite a bit busier at STN going forward following todays order for the new 737-MAX10. It'll be interesting how this will be handled going forward, particularly boarding 228 passengers from the smaller gates with limited/no seating. Can we assume that satellite 4 is in the pipeline?

STN406
10th May 2023, 13:43
I have a feeling that FR is set to become quite a bit busier at STN going forward following todays order for the new 737-MAX10. It'll be interesting how this will be handled going forward, particularly boarding 228 passengers from the smaller gates with limited/no seating. Can we assume that satellite 4 is in the pipeline?

Planes aren’t arriving till 2027! Yes Stansted is going to get busier but it’s not going to be solely due to these planes arriving in 4 years.

BHX5DME
12th May 2023, 13:05
April 2023 pax

STN – 2,350,679 down 1.6% on Apr 2019

MAN – 2,176,450 down 8.9% on Apr 2019

EMA – 312,361 down 20.6% on Apr 2019

Manchester Airports Group (MAG) served 4.8 million passengers in April, as passenger operations continue to ramp-up towards the peak summer season.

MAG, which owns and operates Manchester, London Stansted and East Midlands Airports saw year-on-year passenger numbers increase by 16.4%.

London Stansted and Manchester Airport both served more than 2 million passengers each, totalling 2.4m and 2.2m passengers respectively. Stansted’s overall figure was up 16% on last year, with Manchester’s increasing by 15% year-on-year.

East Midlands Airport saw the highest overall percentage increase for the month of April, serving more than 300,000 passengers – up 25% on 2022.

MAG’s rolling 12-month passenger total to April 2023 stood at 54.8 million passengers – up 123% on the total to April 2022.

Service levels across all three airports remain strong, with 99% of passengers at East Midlands Airport getting through security in under 15 minutes. At London Stansted the figure stood at 98%, and at Manchester Airport the figure was 96%.

In April, MAG welcomed the publication of Sustainable Aviation’s (SA) updated Decarbonisation Roadmap. Formally launched at the Sustainable Skies Summit at Farnborough, the Report set out the progress the UK aviation industry in making in the roll out of low and zero emission flight technologies. The Road-Map also explained how the UK could position itself as a world leader in aviation decarbonisation, but that increased support from the UK Government is needed to ensure this opportunity is not lost.

The Government’s Jet Zero Council, of which MAG is a founding member, also convened for its latest meeting at the Sustainable Skies Summit to discuss the industry’s progress towards net zero by 2050.

JW95
14th May 2023, 12:47
Well, that didn't last long. Looks like FR's route to Catania will be ending at the end of the summer season, having only launched in winter 22. This will also be coinciding with the cessation of all FR routes to/from Catania from late October, apparently owing to a row regarding airport fees.

Paulesx
14th May 2023, 20:44
So have heard EK will be opening a lounge @ STN, makes perfect sense considering they are now double daily and with their F and J product on the 777, anyone else heard this or have any update on this ?

Could never understand why the no 1 Lounge shut down or why in fact the airport only has just the one mediocre lounge

JW95
15th May 2023, 09:36
So have heard EK will be opening a lounge @ STN, makes perfect sense considering they are now double daily and with their F and J product on the 777, anyone else heard this or have any update on this ?

Could never understand why the no 1 Lounge shut down or why in fact the airport only has just the one mediocre lounge

That'll be a big boost for STN when it happens. I'd also agree that the current Escape Lounge pales in comparison to other London airport lounges, and I'd also say that the fact that STN, as the third busiest UK airport only has the one lounge is poor- LGW for example has multiple lounges and has a large LCC presence.

Also, prior to MAG taking over STN, didn't the airport have airline lounges in each of the 3 satellites? I can understand why there would no longer be any in satellite 3, given that this is exclusively FR territory, but I think it is a shame there aren't any in satellites 1 and 2, as there is the space available for them.

Droidd
15th May 2023, 12:51
Have heard this also, will be located in Sat 1 departures in the void space overlooking stands 12 and 13 near whsmiths. Due to the size of the space I have heard it will only be for F pax.

Sotonsean
15th May 2023, 13:49
Have heard this also, will be located in Sat 1 departures in the void space overlooking stands 12 and 13 near whsmiths. Due to the size of the space I have heard it will only be for F pax.

If you guys need to be kept upto date there are numerous sources of information online.

For example.

MAG announced way back in January on their LinkedIn page that an Emirates lounge was going to be put in place in Satellite 1 at Gate 12.

This topic has also been previously discussed on pprune a few months ago after it was originally announced.

Regarding lounges.

I was only watching a YouTube video the other day with a walk-through of the current premium lounge facility at Stansted Airport.

Premium 🤔 I've seen better facilities and decor in an IKEA restaurant. It looks more like Premier Inn rather than a Premier lounge. I certainly would not pay to use such a bland and boring looking facility. A lounge with more of an actual premium attached to it is what Stansted Airport needs. If the airport is going to attract more of a diverse airline portfolio it needs to have the appropriate lounges.

davidjohnson6
15th May 2023, 13:59
Is there space at STN for any more lounges beyond the Emirates one ? The checkin, security screening, departures, immigration hall and baggage collection areas each seem rather full at their respective peak times. I'm expecting peak summer 2023 to be as busy as 2019. And no, I don't expect the retail area to be sacrificed as it brings in far too much money. Is there perhaps structural strength in the departures area to build lounges on top of the retail units ?
The only other place I can think of, is the quiet seating area under Itsu near gates 90+
Or maybe the plans for a new arrivals terminal need to be dusted off again and a new application made to the council ?

CabinCrewe
15th May 2023, 14:28
can’t see the Do You Know Who I ams entertaining First Class only lounge… will cause lounge agents no end of problems turning all the redemption J’s away. Would probably be the first of that sort of restriction across their network.

JW95
16th May 2023, 11:05
Is there space at STN for any more lounges beyond the Emirates one ? The checkin, security screening, departures, immigration hall and baggage collection areas each seem rather full at their respective peak times. I'm expecting peak summer 2023 to be as busy as 2019. And no, I don't expect the retail area to be sacrificed as it brings in far too much money. Is there perhaps structural strength in the departures area to build lounges on top of the retail units ?
The only other place I can think of, is the quiet seating area under Itsu near gates 90+
Or maybe the plans for a new arrivals terminal need to be dusted off again and a new application made to the council ?

As far as space in the terminal is concerned, not much left unfortunately since MAG have crammed the departure lounge to the gills with retail, F&B. However, there are heaps of space in the satellites, which seem sparse in comparison to the main terminal. Satellite 2, for example has lots of potential for a lounge, and has previously had airline lounges there. I think it is just WHSmith and Wetherspoon's Express in there now?

pamann
16th May 2023, 18:23
The Escape lounge isn’t the best. It’s down some stairs next to the main toilets. Not really a great setting. Plus if you need the loo you’ve got to leave and use the main toilets. At least with the Number 1 Lounges at Gatwick they have their own toilets and shower facilities. Whilst I’m no fan of Number 1 it makes a big difference. The Escape Lounge at Stansted certainly doesn’t have a ‘Premium’ feel to it.

Luton has the Aspire Lounge above their retail outlets. If MAG management read this page (doubt it) please consider something similar.

AirportPlanner1
16th May 2023, 21:32
The Escape lounge was really poor. I’d liken it to the buffet at a Beefeater which serves a Premier Inn combined with the bar from a wedding venue. It mostly gets excellent reviews online, so I can only assume these people have never used a lounge anywhere else.

PAXboy
17th May 2023, 11:06
My partner has to take her mother STN-BFS on EZY this week. We have booked assistance for her mother, do they request at the check in desk?
Thanks.

davidjohnson6
17th May 2023, 11:12
You need to get a boarding card (eg with web checkin) with a bar code or QR code which can be scanned. Once you have this, go first to the special assistance area who can start to provide help. Without the bar or QR code, special assistance will send you to the queue at the checkin desk.

STN406
17th May 2023, 12:11
My partner has to take her mother STN-BFS on EZY this week. We have booked assistance for her mother, do they request at the check in desk?
Thanks.

As long as you’ve requested help with Easyjet then it will automatically be assigned to the boarding card. If you’re checking online just go straight to the special assistance desk no need to go to check in.

PAXboy
18th May 2023, 01:21
Brilliant. Thanks very much. I'll tell Mrs PAXboy that. Most helpful. We did request assistance at time of booking online. So I trust that the BAR code has it.

Paulesx
21st May 2023, 16:58
So it seems in addition to the current weekly 777 Stansted - Ashgabat passenger service there will also now be an additional Turkmenistan airlines weekly A330 Stansted - Ashgabat ( then onto Vietnam) cargo service launching.

https://airwaysmag.com/tt-meridian-first-all-cargo-uk-vietnam/

Sotonsean
21st May 2023, 17:18
So it seems in addition to the current weekly 777 Stansted - Ashgabat passenger service there will also now be an additional Turkmenistan airlines weekly A330 Stansted - Ashgabat ( then onto Vietnam) cargo service launching.

https://airwaysmag.com/tt-meridian-first-all-cargo-uk-vietnam/

This is not necessarily a recent announcement by the airline but welcome news nonetheless.

Turkmenistan Airlines quoted several weeks ago when they first announced service to STN that they intended to operate a weekly cargo flight with an A330F. Turkmenistan Airlines had previously announced that it would run alongside the current weekly passenger flight to STN from Ashgabat.

Great to see that the Turkmenistan Airlines cargo flight is actually happening.

London Stansted Airports cargo airline portfolio is growing and hopefully will see further growth in the future.

PAXboy
22nd May 2023, 13:39
Just to say that the assistance desk worked fine. Whilst they had wheelchairs - there was a wait for pushers. So daughter pushed mum and it was fine. They also arranged the Lift truck for them and two other wheelchairs. All good.

JW95
24th May 2023, 09:40
Does anyone know anything about the design specs for the upcoming Emirates lounge at STN? This will no doubt be a welcome addition to STN when it comes to fruition, considering STN only has one lounge currently.

I'm also wondering if there is a reasonable chance we can expect to see one of the 2 daily STN-DXB services upgraded to the A380 in the future, especially with the dual jet bridge now in place at gate 12?

sergy2k
1st Jun 2023, 11:35
TAP A339 inbound from Lisbon, due in at 14:10. Not sure why, I guess football related?

pabely
1st Jun 2023, 12:28
TAP A339 inbound from Lisbon, due in at 14:10. Not sure why, I guess football related?
Sure there was another one a few weeks ago for Spanner work in the Diamond Hangar.

Droidd
1st Jun 2023, 12:34
Sure there was another one a few weeks ago for Spanner work in the Diamond Hangar.

I believe their whole A330 NEO fleet is going through the diamond hangar for maintenance checks.

G-APDK
1st Jun 2023, 16:11
Today's arrival CS-TUN is the 10th TAP A330-941 to visit Diamond Hangar, three in 2022 and the rest this year.

Paulesx
8th Jun 2023, 14:40
Seems a bit of competition coming in the winter for air Albania and co as Ryanair planning to launch double daily Stansted - Tirana flights, although suspect this is aimed more at targeting the Wizz Air LTN market

https://www.fly4free.com/flight-deals/europe/ryanair-launches-with-17-new-routes-from-albania/

davidjohnson6
8th Jun 2023, 14:54
London-Tirana for £10 return in a price war ?

STN406
9th Jun 2023, 08:00
Flight will be double daily. Stansted based Ryanair UK planes leaving at 06:30 and 16:00 everyday. Prices start at £24.99 one way.

STN406
9th Jun 2023, 14:55
Pegasus will have their largest ever summer schedule from Stansted. 55 weekly flights to 5 destinations. Antalya, Ankara, Dalaman, Istanbul SAW and Izmir. Pegasus's CEO flew in yesterday for a media op along with Stansted MD.