PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle-10

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Jamesair1
6th Mar 2023, 15:01
To be fair LH is having huge problems with Union strikes at it's Airports in Germany at the moment....Fri flights are being particularly hit by cancellations

jensdad
6th Mar 2023, 22:40
Strangely, there's quite a few Germans use this route too.
Not a criticism of you, Lambton Worm, but it says a lot about NCL, and the North East in general that we regard it as strange that a route from one post-industrial city in Germany to another post-industrial city in the UK, attracts folks from the one in Germany.
You're right, though. I went through NCL last week and as always, the overwhelming majority of accents I heard were from the North East. Which contrasts slightly with the Newcastlegatesheadalloneword people's assertions that Tyneside is some sort of world-class tourist destination. I wonder where NCL stands in any league table of UK airports' outbound/inbound ratios?

sunshine79
7th Mar 2023, 18:10
FR just announced NCL-BCN twice weekly from April. Looks like a/c is BCN based given the timings.

NorthEasterner
7th Mar 2023, 19:15
FR just announced NCL-BCN twice weekly from April. Looks like a/c is BCN based given the timings.

BCN in not a new route - however looks to have been made a year-round route after launching last December for the Winter 22/23 season.

Travel Agent
8th Mar 2023, 16:38
BCN - Its been on sale for ages, I booked some friends well before Christmas for June - Just more press release for free advertising...

HH6702
9th Mar 2023, 09:40
Tui adds SSH from November 2023

thanks to Sean on twitter for update

HH6702
9th Mar 2023, 14:15
SID also added

finally a new destination
Cape Verde

SJL26779
9th Mar 2023, 16:24
SID also added

finally a new destination
Cape Verde
what dates? Can't see anything on sale

SWBKCB
9th Mar 2023, 16:33
Winter 23/24

In the TUI press release

https://www.tui.co.uk/press/tui-launches-biggest-ever-winter-programme-with-150000-more-seats/

SJL26779
9th Mar 2023, 16:40
Winter 23/24

In the TUI press release

https://www.tui.co.uk/press/tui-launches-biggest-ever-winter-programme-with-150000-more-seats/

They mustn't be on sale just yet.

N707ZS
15th Mar 2023, 08:21
How are the freight figures on the 737 freight flight?

SWBKCB
15th Mar 2023, 08:36
Which one?

The FedEx is averaging about 50t inbound and 50-100t outbound per month.

The West is presumably a private charter - no CAA stats available yet, but so long as the client is happy...

P330
15th Mar 2023, 09:19
They mustn't be on sale just yet.

Now in the system. Flights run November-April. Cape Verde is Tuesday. Egypt is Wednesday.

SJL26779
15th Mar 2023, 14:25
Now in the system. Flights run November-April. Cape Verde is Tuesday. Egypt is Wednesday.

Thank you yes can see them now.

N707ZS
15th Mar 2023, 18:58
Which one?

The FedEx is averaging about 50t inbound and 50-100t outbound per month.

The West is presumably a private charter - no CAA stats available yet, but so long as the client is happy...
The schedule FedEx was the one of interest. No particular reason.

GrahamK
16th Mar 2023, 08:22
Looks like Air France are no longer increasing flights to CDG up to 14 weekly, instead, until August at least, they will operate 6/7 weekly.
Edit, suspect they are in the process of updating schedules

ash666
16th Mar 2023, 08:27
Looks like Air France are no longer increasing flights to CDG up to 14 weekly, instead, until August at least, they will operate 6/7 weekly.

That's a shame. It means for my trips they are still unusable.
I don't trust 90 min connections!

SJL26779
16th Mar 2023, 09:56
That's a shame. It means for my trips they are still unusable.
I don't trust 90 min connections!

I have flights booked in May to Return in June. Both AC downsized from A319 to E70 and E90s both now operated by hop.

L66MBD
23rd Mar 2023, 15:52
Just noticed one of my FR flights in April to ALC is a Max, any idea if Newcastle or Alicante based?

highwideandugly
26th Mar 2023, 17:26
Have KLM stopped the night stopping Amsterdam? See Teesside still have it?

Strange times!

GrahamK
26th Mar 2023, 17:45
KLM schedule seems all oer the place. Nightstopper returns tue/wed though.

ash666
26th Mar 2023, 19:50
Today is the start of the summer schedule for KLM so maybe changes now/soon.

LiamNCL
26th Mar 2023, 20:42
Have KLM stopped the night stopping Amsterdam? See Teesside still have it?

Strange times!

No was there last night when i arrived from ALC, Looks like for some reason its been pulled tonight and tomorrow but is back from 28th

Looks like GLA hasnt got a nightstop either tonight and MAN doesnt have one on the 1st so must just be a KLM issue.

SWBKCB
29th Mar 2023, 19:36
Is this news, that Sun Express will operate through the winter?

Due to high demand, SunExpress has also announced it will further expand its services to operate beyond summer and during the winter 2023-24 period with flights now on sale.

https://www.newcastleairport.com/news-and-reporting/latest-news/sunexpress-takes-off-from-newcastle-international-airport-with-even-more-flights-added-for-2023/

SJL26779
29th Mar 2023, 23:02
Is this news, that Sun Express will operate through the winter?

https://www.newcastleairport.com/news-and-reporting/latest-news/sunexpress-takes-off-from-newcastle-international-airport-with-even-more-flights-added-for-2023/

Yes flights are already on sale. 1 x per week on a Saturday with an extra flight for Easter 2024

JonnyH
30th Mar 2023, 11:49
I’ve seen lots of comments and feedback both from friends and family as well as seeing it on social media about how expensive both TUI and Jet2 are this year.

There’s certainly no denial everything across the board is going up but I will be interested to see passenger numbers and loads at NCL over the next few months as some of the fares are eye watering.

This isn’t just at NCL, either, but perhaps we are affected more with less competition on a lot of routes asides from your ALC, AGP etc.

i, for one, will be hoping RYR can add to the base in the coming years and that we can see an unlikely return of EZY. It’s only going to help in the long term.

LGWAlan
30th Mar 2023, 11:50
Not quite - the SunExpress stops mid November until mid February apart from 4 rotations over Xmas/New Year

GrahamK
14th Apr 2023, 06:35
Good to see the Airport has added a main deck cargo loader

highwideandugly
14th Apr 2023, 18:54
Good to see the Airport has added a main deck cargo loader

Is that speculative, or something planned?

SWBKCB
14th Apr 2023, 18:58
A Champ 140 Main Deck Loader has recently been added to the cargo handling fleet located at Newcastle International Airport, increasing opportunities to facilitate a wider range of cargo aircraft at the Airport.

The Champ 140 is capable of raising 14 tons of cargo to a height of 5.6m, reaching the main deck of wide-bodied freight aircraft, facilitating larger scale cargo operations and increasing the scope of the Airport’s freight capacity.

It's been on site for a couple of months I believe

https://www.newcastleairport.com/news-and-reporting/latest-news/new-cargo-equipment-ramps-up-freight-capacity-at-newcastle-international-airport/

Falcon900LX
14th Apr 2023, 22:34
Is that speculative, or something planned?

Something is planned, however now it seems less and less likely it'll come to fruition.
You can also load 2 PMC's on the bottom bed instead of just 1 with your regular HiLos (Commander/Ranger) - Which are the other two types NCL has.
Serious bit of kit. But it was ex DSA equipment.

N707ZS
15th Apr 2023, 06:10
Hope its not something that was going to go in the empty shed at Teesside.

Jamesair1
18th Apr 2023, 08:06
Jet2 expanding its Reykjavik flights for Winter 23/24 by adding a further 7 flights.

P330
21st Apr 2023, 09:05
5th aircraft to be based for Summer 24, with Cape Verde and Egypt becoming year round.

The Dreamliner will also operate on some short haul routes.

https://www.newcastleairport.com/news-and-reporting/latest-news/tui-launches-biggest-ever-programme-from-newcastle-international-airport-for-summer-2024/

GrahamK
21st Apr 2023, 09:10
Yeah, base looks to be 2 x 738, 2 x 7M8 and 1 x 787 for S24. Good news

ash666
21st Apr 2023, 09:14
I would go to Naples but not if I had to stay for a week.
Why no Barcelona flights as an alternative to Ryanair?

LiamNCL
21st Apr 2023, 14:59
There is 5x 737s and a 5/6 day 787 operating CUN MLB and DLM & AYT on Sunday

VickersVicount
22nd Apr 2023, 11:09
Not sure I understand the usefulness of an ABZ-NCL Loganair BA codeshare when it has to be part of a connection- where might you be connecting to on BA? (when you can go from both direct to LHR) ?

Jamesair1
22nd Apr 2023, 15:18
A possible use would be a passenger from either LHR or ABZ stopping over in NCL for business meetings buying a through ticket using NCL as the connection point

Asturias56
22nd Apr 2023, 21:02
"A possible use would be a passenger from either LHR or ABZ stopping over in NCL for business meetings"

yup A passenger - about one a month would be my guess............................

highwideandugly
23rd Apr 2023, 16:26
Loads more holding traffic over the ‘premier’ north east airport due no ATC…is this acceptable?

Send them to Teesside…no issues there!

SWBKCB
23rd Apr 2023, 16:29
Is that because there are more flights in the hold than scheduled into MME today?

Due to staff sickness - seems somebody else is feeling a bit green as well!

N707ZS
23rd Apr 2023, 16:36
Short of parking at Teesside.

highwideandugly
23rd Apr 2023, 17:27
Is that because of parting out aircraft..and maintenance?

pabely
23rd Apr 2023, 17:43
Is that because there are more flights in the hold than scheduled into MME today?

Due to staff sickness - seems somebody else is feeling a bit green as well!
Probably went to the football earlier and still partying!

highwideandugly
23rd Apr 2023, 19:52
Seriously though..an airport with potential 5 million passengers…having to hold aircraft to land ..because of lack of ATS staff? Am I missing something here?

Great planning guys!

SWBKCB
23rd Apr 2023, 20:10
As I mentioned earlier, staff sickness.

Doesn't seem to be putting airlines off - TUI the latest to announce additional flights and an extra based a/c for next summer.

jensdad
23rd Apr 2023, 23:56
Teesside / Tyneside banter aside, it is pretty poor.

Jamesair1
24th Apr 2023, 07:39
There must surely be 'stand-by' ATS staff available when situations like this occur.

Asturias56
24th Apr 2023, 10:08
Clearly not

Diff Tail Shim
24th Apr 2023, 13:07
Seriously though..an airport with potential 5 million passengers…having to hold aircraft to land ..because of lack of ATS staff? Am I missing something here?

Great planning guys!
I know one of the ATS has short notice leave as of today. His wife is have their first child today. All airports have lack of ATS like all the airlines that have a shortage of pilots, cabin crew and engineers. You are missing a lot.

GrahamK
24th Apr 2023, 13:09
Say if you were to employ a trained ATCO from DSA, for example, how long would it take before they could work at NCL. Obviously they would need to learn the different routings and so forth etc etc. A few months, or more? Up to a year potentially?

Diff Tail Shim
24th Apr 2023, 13:10
Clearly not
Because it takes eons to train up replacement staff in ATC, more than Pilots. ATC is like LAEs. Not made overnight. Like pilots and LAEs, small pool of staff and wage offers are taking people away from smaller airports.

highwideandugly
28th Apr 2023, 19:51
Are there any airport infrastructure plans?

Me thinks mainly apron space and southside hanger development..like Teesside?

A runway extension would be nice, as per many previous master plans..but unlikely?

SWBKCB
28th Apr 2023, 20:09
No - apron space demand not yet back to the previous peak, no space southside for any 'industrial' development. Can't see a business case for a runway extension.

Jamesair1
28th Apr 2023, 21:02
They might need more apron space with two more based aircraft next year TUI/Jet 2 and we don't know the Ryanair plans for S24.

Diff Tail Shim
28th Apr 2023, 23:23
Are there any airport infrastructure plans?

Me thinks mainly apron space and southside hanger development..like Teesside?

A runway extension would be nice, as per many previous master plans..but unlikely?
You have never been airside bar as a passenger have you?

highwideandugly
29th Apr 2023, 07:41
You have never been airside bar as a passenger have you?

Is that a good or bad experience?

ash666
29th Apr 2023, 07:44

Free bucket and spade with every pint.

ash666
30th Apr 2023, 05:32
I'm looking at flights for mid-August and the normal KLM 9.30am hop to AMS says, "Operated by German Airways".
Never seen that before. Anyone know anything about them?
Even a codeshare would normally say KLM.

SWBKCB
30th Apr 2023, 05:49
They must be leasing in German Airways EMB-190's for the summer. Believe there are issues getting engine spares for the new EMB-295's so might be that. Operating under KLM flight numbers, doubt you will notice much difference from your normal flight.

ash666
30th Apr 2023, 05:57
They must be leasing in German Airways EMB-190's for the summer. Believe there are issues getting engine spares for the new EMB-295's so might be that. Operating under KLM flight numbers, doubt you will notice much difference from your normal flight.

Ok, thanks.

N707ZS
30th Apr 2023, 06:25
The shed needed a makeover last year.

mmeteesside
30th Apr 2023, 10:14
I'm looking at flights for mid-August and the normal KLM 9.30am hop to AMS says, "Operated by German Airways".
Never seen that before. Anyone know anything about them?
Even a codeshare would normally say KLM.
Presumably shortage of aircraft and they’re leasing in German Airways to cover. It’s what used to be WDL, now operating E190s these days.

ash666
30th Apr 2023, 10:19
Presumably shortage of aircraft and they’re leasing in German Airways to cover. It’s what used to be WDL, now operating E190s these days.

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure I've used E190s in the past and no problem putting a cabin bag in the overhead locker.

Diff Tail Shim
30th Apr 2023, 23:30
because you haven't got a clue on what the land is like inside the airport perimeter. Most of it is a bog.

SWBKCB
5th May 2023, 19:33
The North East Economic Forum (NEEF) launched the Saudi – North East England Trade and Investment Dialogue on April 30, building upon significant Saudi investment in the North East and Tees Valley. Alan Donnelly, the executive chairman of sovereign strategy and chair of NEEF, who is hosting His Royal Highness Prince Khalid bin Bander al Saud, Ambassador of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia at a business leaders’ dinner in Durham today, is set to announce the new bilateral relationship.
He commented: “Saudi Arabia is building a significant relationship with the North East of England through its investment in Newcastle United, the new direct flights from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to Newcastle Airport and Alfanar and SABIC’s investments in Teesside. The North East of England has always had a global footprint through international partnerships in business, education and culture - this deepening relationship with Saudi Arabia is an incredible opportunity for our small and medium business community, our universities and colleges and for our tourism industry.

I'm assuming this is a mistake...

https://bdaily.co.uk/articles/2023/05/02/north-east-businesses-to-attract-saudi-inward-investment-with-new-business-group

jensdad
5th May 2023, 20:21
I'm assuming this is a mistake...

https://bdaily.co.uk/articles/2023/05/02/north-east-businesses-to-attract-saudi-inward-investment-with-new-business-group

Sounds about as believable as when they tell you NUFC isn't controlled by the Saudi government...

Jamesair1
6th May 2023, 07:29
They must be mixing up Manchester with NCL where there is a new service.

SWBKCB
6th May 2023, 07:30
They must be mixing up Manchester with NCL where there is a new service.

New? Are you mixing up Manchester with Birmingham?!

ATNotts
6th May 2023, 08:20
New? Are you mixing up Manchester with Birmingham?!
Or they might not be. BHX was a surprise, it is entirely possible that an airline which is there as much a soft power organ of the government as a commercial enterprise might want to muscle in on the Dubai transit market.

HH6702
6th May 2023, 09:51
Or they might not be. BHX was a surprise, it is entirely possible that an airline which is there as much a soft power organ of the government as a commercial enterprise might want to muscle in on the Dubai transit market.

agree BHX was a surprise for most.
they are wanting to grow tourism and grow Saudi to a big hub. Only time will tell.

2x weekly could work on a narrow body maybe but not sure if they have the inwards connections that the north east would require yet

HH6702
6th May 2023, 09:55
Saudi will it happen ?

Did anyone see Aegean coming on Athens.?

Tui increasing to 5 aircraft isn’t much of a surprise

still think there will be some surprises over the next few years

laviation
6th May 2023, 09:56
Think it could be Riyadh Air instead of Saudia

SWBKCB
6th May 2023, 10:02
Think it could be Riyadh Air instead of Saudia

Based on what?

VickersVicount
6th May 2023, 10:03
I don’t think it will be either TBH. Tui and Aegean are well trodden reliable leisure expansion with minimal risk. Saudia on mid haul when locals have never heard of them or destination is a whole different story unless dirt cheap connections. Just wait til they hear the alcohol rules. I understand NCL alcohol consumption on EK to DXB is one of the highest on network.

SWBKCB
6th May 2023, 10:07
I don’t think it will be either TBH. Tui and Aegean are well trodden reliable leisure expansion with minimal risk. Saudia on mid haul when locals have never heard of them or destination is a whole different story unless dirt cheap connections. Just wait til they hear the alcohol rules. I understand NCL alcohol consumption on EK to DXB is one of the highest on network.

I agree - the Saudi's might well want to expand, but plenty of other lower hanging fruit.

Jamesair1
9th May 2023, 16:07
Ryanair is currently loading up the NCL winter schedules......only two missing at the moment GDANSK and RIGA

Changes so far are.....ALICANTE 4 (UP FROM 3) MALAGA 2 (DOWN FROM 3) PAPHOS 2 (NEW FOR WINTER) SHANNON 2 (REPLACING CORK), TENERIFE 3 (UP FROM 2)

HH6702
10th May 2023, 10:17
Ryanair is currently loading up the NCL winter schedules......only two missing at the moment GDANSK and RIGA

Changes so far are.....ALICANTE 4 (UP FROM 3) MALAGA 2 (DOWN FROM 3) PAPHOS 2 (NEW FOR WINTER) SHANNON 2 (REPLACING CORK), TENERIFE 3 (UP FROM 2)

still looks like more to come as 1 aircraft isn’t being currently used on Tuesday and Wednesday

Dispatchdude
11th May 2023, 07:14

Certainly interesting that they are commiting to the Shannon route as the pax figures are diabolical compared to when Cork was operated.

More routes to Germany would be awesome although I see more bucket and spade routes first.

JonnyH
11th May 2023, 20:51
still looks like more to come as 1 aircraft isn’t being currently used on Tuesday and Wednesday

Same happened last winter, didn’t it?

GrahamK
12th May 2023, 12:55
Aegean flights now operating until the end of October rather than half way through September, good news!

HH6702
12th May 2023, 14:56
Aegean flights now operating until the end of October rather than half way through September, good news!

great news didn’t think it would happen in season 1

highwideandugly
14th May 2023, 11:44
See KLM still not night stopping next couple of nights..therefore no early morning departures.Wonder if the airport has any input?
Folk can still fly from Teesside though..
Is this a shift of operations policy I wonder from KLM ?

GrahamK
14th May 2023, 12:35
Possibly something to do with the engine problems that KLM are having on their E195-E2s?
The schedules are a bit of a mish mash, most days 3 or 4 flights a day, with wednesday? only having 2 flights a day. Not helped by the fact that AF are not back at thei full 3 flights a day yet either

Jamesair1
15th May 2023, 13:28
I note that todays Belfast City, Aer Lingus has been cancelled.

JonnyH
15th May 2023, 19:14
I note that todays Belfast City, Aer Lingus has been cancelled.

Due to a tech issue.

TheLambtonWorm
16th May 2023, 14:29
Interesting.

Budapest Airport is also seeking to expand opportunities in France, Germany, Spain and the UK. Jandu's team has been actively working to establish routes to Lyon, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Glasgow and Newcastle. Despite challenges posed by Brexit, the UK remains Budapest Airport's largest market, with traffic recovering but not yet having reached 2019 levels.

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/airports-networks/new-budapest-airport-ceo-kam-jandu-unveils-ambitions

Jamesair1
16th May 2023, 15:12
A route that used to be served by EASYJET....if my memory serves me correctly

HH6702
16th May 2023, 16:07
Interesting.

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/airports-networks/new-budapest-airport-ceo-kam-jandu-unveils-ambitions

Ryanair ??
maybe nice to see Wizz try ?

laviation
16th May 2023, 16:21
Wizz to Budapest would be an interesting addition due to all the insanely cheap connection possibilities down into the Middle East.. One-way Luton to Riyadh with a stop off in Budapest was going for £30 a few weeks ago..

Jamesair1
25th May 2023, 08:13
Newcastle United's success last week should mean very good news for the airport.....with big numbers of charter flights in and out next year.

highwideandugly
25th May 2023, 12:19
Wonder if they have the stands? Usually full overnight at moment?
Also Wonder if any plans afoot to expand the tarmac space!
Been no developments on that side for many many years?
Must be lots of latent demand from NUFC supporters..5/10k to Italy or Spain?

DC3 Dave
25th May 2023, 12:37
Newcastle United's success last week should mean very good news for the airport.....with big numbers of charter flights in and out next year.

Short term problem :O

RA85684
25th May 2023, 13:35
More than just the charters, I'm hoping for more international, long term recognition of Newcastle and the North East, more flights, especially with the Ryanair base, and more inbound traffic to complement the majority outbound market. It's a long shot, but a larger and more established ryanair presence, with more based aircraft and more routes for next year could massively help, especially if the routes just happen to go to high demand football destinations.

I do feel that NCL is on a roll at the minute! I hope it keeps up.

Jamesair1
25th May 2023, 15:47
The German market could be a prime target for inbound traffic....Aida the big German Cruise Line has hugely increased its calls at Port of Tyne, this year and next so giving many German passengers a chance to sample what the NE has to offer, some of these could return for longer visits.

Diff Tail Shim
25th May 2023, 15:54
Short term problem :O
Indeed. Specials for some fans maybe. Do Newcastle have to play any qualifying games for the Group stages? Could be very short term. I hope not mind.

SWBKCB
25th May 2023, 16:34
Indeed. Specials for some fans maybe. Do Newcastle have to play any qualifying games for the Group stages? Could be very short term. I hope not mind.

No qualifiers, straight to the group stages, so minimum of 6 games, 3 home and 3 away. Games from 19/09 to 13/12, so outside peak summer season (for those worried about parking :rolleyes:)

Jamesair1
27th May 2023, 07:49
Eastern seem to have abandoned the planned second daily flight to ABZ following LM's entry on to the route.

GrahamK
28th May 2023, 07:43
No qualifiers, straight to the group stages, so minimum of 6 games, 3 home and 3 away. Games from 19/09 to 13/12, so outside peak summer season (for those worried about parking :rolleyes:)

Does anyone remember all the flights for Barcelina away? Think the airport almost seen the whole Monarch fleet 🤣

laviation
28th May 2023, 10:42
More than just the charters, I'm hoping for more international, long term recognition of Newcastle and the North East, more flights, especially with the Ryanair base, and more inbound traffic to complement the majority outbound market. It's a long shot, but a larger and more established ryanair presence, with more based aircraft and more routes for next year could massively help, especially if the routes just happen to go to high demand football destinations.

I do feel that NCL is on a roll at the minute! I hope it keeps up.

Sadly, NCL has found itself firmly in the new inbound EDI catchment.

VickersVicount
28th May 2023, 10:44
Never used to be and no reason why it should remain that way…

ATNotts
28th May 2023, 13:00
Never used to be and no reason why it should remain that way…
Its the 'inbound' factor here. Edinburgh has grown on the back of the higher international profile that being a capital city / seat of government has given it. This has given the impetus to open routes to Edinburgh and they will undoubtedly have sucked some of the oxygen from route development at NCL.

On a different scale NCL suffers with EDI in the same way BHX suffers from the scale of MAN.

SWBKCB
28th May 2023, 15:24

Can you expand? What's an inbound catchment would be a good start :ok:

ATNotts
28th May 2023, 16:01
Can you expand? What's an inbound catchment would be a good start :ok:
Catchment clearly doesn't apply so much when talking about inbound leisure travel, where the priority is how far you need to travel to the departure airport. If it wasn't nobody in their right mind would fly to Melbourne (MLB) to visit Orlando theme parks!

What's more, a case could be made for making the drive through the borders to reach a final destination ariund, say, Hexham part of a holiday.

Perhaps turning your question around, if EDI wasn't drawing otherwise NCL destined business, why doesn't NCL hoover up more inbound business. After all the Newcastle hinterland and Scottish Borders have so much commending them for an inbound tourist.

Asturias56
28th May 2023, 17:20
EDI also is a starting point for the Highlands - I'll bet 75% of foreign tourists go north and west rather than south and east from Edinburgh.

It has a world wide reputation that Newcastle (and Glasgow) don't

It has the various Festivals as well

Plus it's the Capital of Scotland

jensdad
28th May 2023, 22:30
EDI also is a starting point for the Highlands - I'll bet 75% of foreign tourists go north and west rather than south and east from Edinburgh.

It has a world wide reputation that Newcastle (and Glasgow) don't

It has the various Festivals as well

Plus it's the Capital of Scotland

Interestingly, Northumberland benefits from 'northwestwards drift' from the ferry terminal at North Shields. I work at a heritage site in Northumberland, and our second-biggest foreign nationality is Dutch - quite a few of them popping in on their way to Scotland from Shields. I've often considered how a Benelux-Rosyth or Leith ferry service could blow a hole in our visitor numbers.

highwideandugly
29th May 2023, 09:43
See more holding due no ATC again..how much longer will this go on for I wonder?

Suggest not a good advert for the airport!

SWBKCB
29th May 2023, 09:48
See more holding due no ATC again..how much longer will this go on for I wonder?

Suggest not a good advert for the airport!

Controller training should be completed in the coming months - it's a long process.

highwideandugly
29th May 2023, 10:37
Coming months? Just in time for the quiet winter season!

Diff Tail Shim
29th May 2023, 16:57
Coming months? Just in time for the quiet winter season!
As said before, it takes time. Try a Licenced Engineer. Even longer, years longer.

highwideandugly
30th May 2023, 11:27
Looks to be a big problem all over..Teesside just listed similar closures , and no training !

Diff Tail Shim
30th May 2023, 15:51
Looks to be a big problem all over..Teesside just listed similar closures , and no training !
They are training. One of our people has left to do so.

highwideandugly
30th May 2023, 16:03
Aircraft..not staff !

Jamesair1
31st May 2023, 15:39
Interestingly EDI losing TUI longhaul in Summer 24 in addition to BRS.......so there might be downward drift of pax to NCL from EDI or Westwards to GLA for TUI longhaul flights, TUI concentrating on 5 long haul routes and Ad Hoc flights.

cr. SEAN M

I also note that LM have put back the expansion to 3 daily to SOU from 29th May to 17th July.

nighthawk117
1st Jun 2023, 08:48
I think TUI longhaul out of Edinburgh will be mopped up by Virgin and the various other transatlantic options from Edinburgh.

Diff Tail Shim
8th Jun 2023, 08:56
Just seen an Envoy with what must be a charter T3 J41 with it land at NCL and go to the dark side. No Royals up here today on the circular and it aint the PM? Anyone know?

s_insania
8th Jun 2023, 15:28
Just seen an Envoy with what must be a charter T3 J41 with it land at NCL and go to the dark side. No Royals up here today on the circular and it aint the PM? Anyone know?

Outbound charter to Luton, positioned in from Aberdeen

Jamesair1
13th Jun 2023, 15:55
EXPANSION FROM JET 2....early season 2024

IZMIR AND GERONA season now starts in APRIL

extra flights to:-
REUS...APR/MAY
DUBROVNIK....MAY
IBIZA.....MAR
RHODES.....APR
TENERIFE...APR

HH6702
13th Jun 2023, 16:44
EXPANSION FROM JET 2....early season 2024

IZMIR AND GERONA season now starts in APRIL

extra flights to:-
REUS...APR/MAY
DUBROVNIK....MAY
IBIZA.....MAR
RHODES.....APR
TENERIFE...APR

fantastic news let’s hope more to come

Jamesair1
14th Jun 2023, 08:14
First flight today for the new AEGEAN route to ATHENS

Jamesair1
14th Jun 2023, 15:36
EASTERN AIRWAYS to terminate its ABERDEEN - NEWCASTLE route on 30th June. 23.

cr. Sean M.

N707ZS
15th Jun 2023, 05:19
And in a local rag.
Eastern Airways scraps Newcastle Airport to Aberdeen flights | The Northern Echo (https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/23590105.eastern-airways-scraps-newcastle-airport-aberdeen-flights/)

Jamesair1
15th Jun 2023, 07:31
Just a matter of time once LM returned to the route.

Jamesair1
16th Jun 2023, 08:37
RYANAIR....SHANNON seems to be cut to 1 weekly for W23/4

GAXLN
16th Jun 2023, 14:13

It may be waiting for schedule at the other end of the route to be loaded. Shannon at one a week would never work.

OltonPete
16th Jun 2023, 14:24

The second flight shows in the APP on a Thursday 16:25-19:30 Newcastle based aircraft - currently shown as sold out.

Just a timetable change and these are massive across the network for winter.

Usual rule of thumb, it it was previously on sale at these times it is likely to be in the process of being cut or if it was never at these times it is likely it is being loaded into the system and will be released in one to two weeks. I have no idea which is the case for this particular route but it does appear that the winter schedule is far from finalised.

Pete

milhouse999
17th Jun 2023, 10:30
-200 series 777 from Emirates into NCL today for those interested, don't often see these.

JonnyH
17th Jun 2023, 21:13
FR having a nightmare today. Let’s hope they don’t choose bases based on profitability after delays.

Diff Tail Shim
17th Jun 2023, 22:13
Just a matter of time once LM returned to the route.
Not disappointed.

HH6702
18th Jun 2023, 22:36
looking at what I had worked out when winter 23 first went on sale and what it looks like now there seems to be a load of changes.
mostly operational day changes which fills in the gaps and makes a little more sense

It may be waiting for schedule at the other end of the route to be loaded. Shannon at one a week would never work.

Jamesair1
20th Jun 2023, 15:28
SUN EXPRESS

ANTALYA.....flights increasing to 5 weekly for Summer 24.

cr. Sean M

HH6702
20th Jun 2023, 21:54
Rumours of more routes to come too so we may get something else from them

QUOTE=Jamesair1;11454027]SUN EXPRESS

ANTALYA.....flights increasing to 5 weekly for Summer 24.

cr. Sean M[/QUOTE]

RA85684
21st Jun 2023, 12:03
Quite astounding growth to Turkey over the last few years really. And it's a pretty big jump up to 5 weekly as well!

Fingers crossed for more from them, being based in Izmir, it would be nice to see them go in on a twice weekly NCL-ADB next year.

All we need now is for Turkish to show up, can't be far away now, surely!

Can anyone confirm whether Corendon has dropped Dalaman for S24? Antalya is on sale, but Dalaman isn't. Shame if they have

Jamesair1
21st Jun 2023, 15:50
RYANAIR.......SHANNON....website now showing 2 flts weekly...Thurs and Sun

JonnyH
21st Jun 2023, 21:47
Early days, I know, but any ideas on what the loads have been like on the first few Aegean flights?

I’m interested to know instead of waiting a little while for the data!

HH6702
22nd Jun 2023, 02:43
Early days, I know, but any ideas on what the loads have been like on the first few Aegean flights?

I’m interested to know instead of waiting a little while for the data!

not sure but must have exceeded expectations as the flights have been extended until end of October from early September.

lm guessing the route will be on sale shortly for summer 24 maybe 3x weekly or a longer season again.

Jamesair1
23rd Jun 2023, 15:43
PACKAGE FREIGHT FLIGHTS
Have I missed something? Wikipedia now shows that COLOGNE/BONN, EDINBURGH and LEIGE are now served. What happened to PARIS? and what is the new timetable?

GrahamK
23rd Jun 2023, 16:16
The FedEx/ASL flights now operate as NCL-LGG-CDG-CGN-NCL instead of NCL-EDI-CDG-EDI-NCL

Jamesair1
24th Jun 2023, 15:40
The LM return to the ABZ route has had a major impact of the pax figures with
APRIL showing 1,831 far above MME (1092) ......which has always had good numbers on their route.....this shows a huge pent up demand for this underserved route from NCL.

Asturias56
24th Jun 2023, 17:16
don't think 60 pax a day is a "huge demand" I'm afraid - it would be two flights a week with a proper airliner

SWBKCB
24th Jun 2023, 17:34
don't think 60 pax a day is a "huge demand" I'm afraid - it would be two flights a week with a proper airliner

Yeah - that's how it works, put a proper plane on twice a week :rolleyes:

JonnyH
24th Jun 2023, 20:24

It’s still higher than MME and you’ve also got to remember there’s been a significant number of flight cancellations recently with LM. The last few weeks, especially, they’ve had some bad days.

They’ll have to improve to make it work long term still IMO but LM make the majority of their profit off charters for the football etc anyways.

Diff Tail Shim
24th Jun 2023, 20:53
It’s still higher than MME and you’ve also got to remember there’s been a significant number of flight cancellations recently with LM. The last few weeks, especially, they’ve had some bad days.

They’ll have to improve to make it work long term still IMO but LM make the majority of their profit off charters for the football etc anyways.
shame there are no manufacturers building decent regional airliners now to replace an EJR or new SAAB 2Bob. Flybe wad dead before the pandemic. Covid was the final nail. I wish the government would ditch the 261 bull****. Biggest killer to air travel.

SWBKCB
24th Jun 2023, 21:05
The only new build aircraft around is the ATR - take it yr not impressed?

mmeman
24th Jun 2023, 22:58
Just to put a bit of perspective on the Aberdeen passenger figures, there were 3 times the amount of deprtures from Newcastle than Teesside, but no where near 3 times the passenger numbers. (or 2.5 more as it was an Eastern J41!) The fares being charged from Newcastle because of the Eastern competition were sometimes as low as £75.99, Teesside fares were never lower than around £147 and normally over £197 one way - just look at the fares on the 2 routes for the next week to back this up. Also June to November last year Teesside had over 2000 passengers each month to Aberdeen with no competition only 2 dpeartures a day and at the higher prices too. I would assume that many people who flew from Teesside now have to use Newcastle, and at a fare much less than what is being charged at Teesside even with the taxi to Newcastle, which does raise the question of the catchment area of the 2 airports being quite interchangeable - dont know if that is a good or bad thing. Not meant as a our airport is better than yours post, more just to add to the discussion.

ash666
25th Jun 2023, 03:25
When the anti-fossil fuels (oil & gas) regulations kick in the Aberdeen flight will get by with a 2 seater.

Jamesair1
25th Jun 2023, 08:14
I was really making the point that the arrival of LM seems to have released a pent up demand on the route. An unknown factor is the numbers travelling on to OSLO (which I hope at some stage becomes a non-stop route of its own).
It will be July before ABZ becomes a single operator route.

***does anyone have any idea how many pax travel through to OSLO on this service?

Asturias56
25th Jun 2023, 08:14
Well half the catchment area for each is County Durham and you can get to either airport in pretty much the same time so yes there is considerable overlap. I suspect flights to Aberdeen are almost all work/business related and so aren't terribly price sensitive. Timing is far more important. The size of the market is driven by the state of the offshore oil and gas (and now renewables) industry - it was pretty dire from 2013-2021.

No-one is building a new regional aircraft because no-one is buying them - in W Europe anyway. Just about every destination can take a 737 or A 320 these days and they wipe out anything smaller. In places, such as parts of N America, Africa etc, Far East something like the ATR makes sense as you are more dependant on regular air travel to small airports. In most of W Europe you have good train and highway access

SWBKCB
25th Jun 2023, 08:26
I suspect flights to Aberdeen are almost all work/business related and so aren't terribly price sensitive.

A lot of the traffic is lads going to/from the rigs who have to pay their own way, so it is hugely price sensitive between MME, NCL, road and rail. There isn't huge pent up demand, it just switches between the different choices.

Go into almost any pub in the northeast and mention the word Aberdeen, and you will find somebody who will explain how the working man gets screwed on travel, in detail and at great length, including the train and road options - 'good' won't feature in the discussion.

Diff Tail Shim
25th Jun 2023, 10:05
The only new build aircraft around is the ATR - take it yr not impressed?
The older ones are dinosaurs. The newer ones are not much better. True they burn a lot less fuel. But take twice as long to get to a place.

Asturias56
25th Jun 2023, 11:49
A lot of the traffic is lads going to/from the rigs who have to pay their own way, so it is hugely price sensitive between MME, NCL, road and rail. There isn't huge pent up demand, it just switches between the different choices.

Go into almost any pub in the northeast and mention the word Aberdeen, and you will find somebody who will explain how the working man gets screwed on travel, in detail and at great length, including the train and road options - 'good' won't feature in the discussion.

but they still take the jobs - which are generally pretty well paid cp working at home.

HH6702
28th Jun 2023, 14:30
Jet2 expands again

Iceland flights now go 2x weekly.

I’m sure there must be demand for flights all year round

Asturias56
28th Jun 2023, 15:22
"True they burn a lot less fuel. But take twice as long to get to a place."

but on most short haul you spend as much time in security, checkin, waiting... waiting ...... waiting ..... as you do flying Flight time isn't really very critical

And for small airlines on regional routes a turboprop is a godsend

Jamesair1
28th Jun 2023, 16:10
Maybe PLAY the Icelandic airline are making a note of all this activity. They are said to be looking at expansion of UK services.

Diff Tail Shim
28th Jun 2023, 16:35
"True they burn a lot less fuel. But take twice as long to get to a place."

but on most short haul you spend as much time in security, checkin, waiting... waiting ...... waiting ..... as you do flying Flight time isn't really very critical

And for small airlines on regional routes a turboprop is a godsend
If they don't break. Personally I hate the bloody things to work on.

Asturias56
29th Jun 2023, 08:08
well the choice maybe working on a turboprop or not working on anything at smaller airports

Could be a DC-3..................

jensdad
29th Jun 2023, 20:03
Jet2 expands again

Iceland flights now go 2x weekly.

I’m sure there must be demand for flights all year round
It absolutely amazes me that more people want to go to Iceland in winter than in summer. Some of the most beautiful scenery on Earth (well, the most unique scenery I've ever seen anyway - Faroes and Spain are probably equally as beautiful) and folks want to go when you can only see it for four hours a day!

Asturias56
30th Jun 2023, 08:29
Northern Lights?? And it does rain a lot in summer

Jamesair1
8th Jul 2023, 08:07
I flew back with BA from Thessaloniki to London this week and coincidentally the JET 2 flight to NCL was due to leave at roughly the same time. I was very impressed by the smartly uniformed reception team waiting at the entrance to the terminal to meet JET2 passengers arriving for the flight.

Diff Tail Shim
12th Jul 2023, 00:03
I flew back with BA from Thessaloniki to London this week and coincidentally the JET 2 flight to NCL was due to leave at roughly the same time. I was very impressed by the smartly uniformed reception team waiting at the entrance to the terminal to meet JET2 passengers arriving for the flight.
Herding the sheep from Greggs? The sausage rolls are always cold.

Jamesair1
12th Jul 2023, 07:37
Not a Greggs in sight!!! waiting of the coaches from the beach areas.......just thought it all looked a very efficient organisation. Thessalonika Airport has one of those "no view" internal lounges I hate.

Diff Tail Shim
14th Jul 2023, 19:48
Not a Greggs in sight!!! waiting of the coaches from the beach areas.......just thought it all looked a very efficient organisation. Thessalonika Airport has one of those "no view" internal lounges I hate.
No different to what you see at NCL. Just not Geordies.

SWBKCB
14th Jul 2023, 21:04
What exactly is the link to NCL here?!?

Wallsendmag
14th Jul 2023, 22:12
What exactly is the link to NCL here?!?
Greggs

Jamesair1
15th Jul 2023, 07:53
SWBKCB.....I was checking in at Thessaloniki for a London flight at the same time as a NCL flight by JET2 was due for departure. It was just a complementary comment on how impressed I was with the Jet2 arrangements there. The NCL pax would have been impressed......sorry if I have offended you in some way.

SWBKCB
15th Jul 2023, 08:53
Not offended in anyway, but baffled by the tenuous link. Might have been more appropriate on the Jet2 thread.

GrahamK
15th Jul 2023, 10:03
Disappointing ti see AF have reduced CDG to 7 x weekly until the end of October

SWBKCB
15th Jul 2023, 10:17
Checked a few days in September and still selling 2-3 flights a day?

10 DME ARC
17th Jul 2023, 06:34
AF we were on a morning flight returning to NCL in November, flight was fairly full as I remember when I reserved seats but flight cancelled and left with a 12hr wait in CDG! So changed all flights to KLM the next day just to get decent connections!! We had only moved to AF when KLM cancelled the outbound longhaul flight!:ugh:

ash666
17th Jul 2023, 06:38
I have had timing problems with both AF and KLM.
And KLM even tried to throw me out of my very carefully chosen seat when I already had my boarding pass from checking in my suitcase, ie when I was in the lounge waiting to board. I didn't let them get away with that.

highwideandugly
17th Jul 2023, 17:55
In the early days of Nissan..all, Or most cargo flights operated through Newcastle ..I’m sure it was something to do with how much the local authorities were subsidising the airport.
I notice now all..or most cargo flights for Nissan appear to be operating through Teesside.

Is there a reason for this? I know the airport (Teesside) has invested a large amount of money in the freight handling side of the airport and Newcastle seem to concentrate on the Passengers.. But are the local councils ok with that?

Bit like the Saudis buying up all the players from the premier league and helping other teams develop rather than Newcastle 😀😀 !

SWBKCB
17th Jul 2023, 18:14
Bit over thinking going on here - the amounts of cargo involved are tiny. It's for more likely that the operators/agents are more significant, maybe even the fuel price. Note that at the end of last year when MME was getting flights from Gyor, NCL was getting Nissan flights from Toulouse

highwideandugly
17th Jul 2023, 18:25
From small acorns….however..it’s a fact Teesside are getting more dedicated “ freight charters” now than Newcastle..so must be doing something right? Maybe the freight investment down here is slowly starting to pay off?
Don’t think Newcastle have invested anything major on that side for years, management blinkered maybe?

SWBKCB
18th Jul 2023, 06:51
Just putting this down carefully then standing back well back - Newcastle 6th in the list of the 10 least stressful airports in Europe...

https://www.cntraveller.com/article/least-stressful-airports-in-europe

ash666
18th Jul 2023, 06:54
With the highest car parking charges

SWBKCB
18th Jul 2023, 07:06
From small acorns….however..it’s a fact Teesside are getting more dedicated “ freight charters” now than Newcastle..so must be doing something right? Maybe the freight investment down here is slowly starting to pay off?
Don’t think Newcastle have invested anything major on that side for years, management blinkered maybe?

This is getting silly now, but I'll bite, although a look at the CAA monthly stats will put this to bed. Do the Nissan charters even use the new freight facility at Teesside, isn't it literally "man and a van" stuff?

https://www.caa.co.uk/Documents/Download/10280/650d4267-5248-4ad3-91b9-8415d7927dcb/6047

Recent investment in freight at Newcastle from April this year

https://www.newcastleairport.com/news-and-reporting/latest-news/new-cargo-equipment-ramps-up-freight-capacity-at-newcastle-international-airport/

NCL's FedEx service has also grown from ATR-72 to B.738F recently

Jamesair1
18th Jul 2023, 07:42
Absolutely, spot on.

JKKne
18th Jul 2023, 09:02
With the highest car parking charges

While the car parking isn't the cheapest (I'd imagine anyone in Tyne and Wear or South Northumberland is better off in a taxi...) I've managed to get 2 weeks in the premium meet and greet (which involves no meeting or greeting these days) for £101 for 2 weeks which isn't too horrendous a price, though out of season in late November

highwideandugly
18th Jul 2023, 19:12
Re the freight..
If you guys aren’t concerned, well that’s ok!

I would think the airport management might be starting to think otherwise?

Lots more to come down here though!

My original query..was…Nissan has become established and still subsidised to some degree by the local authorities(business rates etc)… so why are their freight flights going to a competitor? Any revenue..which in turn would fill Sunderland Council and the rest’s coffers..going to the Tees Valley and Ben?

Maybe I’m missing something?

Just seems odd!

Diff Tail Shim
18th Jul 2023, 20:17
This is getting silly now, but I'll bite, although a look at the CAA monthly stats will put this to bed. Do the Nissan charters even use the new freight facility at Teesside, isn't it literally "man and a van" stuff?

https://www.caa.co.uk/Documents/Download/10280/650d4267-5248-4ad3-91b9-8415d7927dcb/6047

Recent investment in freight at Newcastle from April this year

NCL's FedEx service has also grown from ATR-72 to B.738F recently
No covid anymore. The aircraft I believe is based at NCL but it goes to CDG for FEDEX and I wager it does a couple of UK stops on the way. I only see one or two pallets ever. CDG is the hub for FEDEX European ops.

GAXLN
19th Jul 2023, 07:12
No covid anymore. The aircraft I believe is based at NCL but it goes to CDG for FEDEX and I wager it does a couple of UK stops on the way. I only see one or two pallets ever. CDG is the hub for FEDEX European ops.

No UK tour for the FedEx 737-800 as it flies first to Liege, then Paris CDG and finally Cologne before returning to Newcastle. And to think it all started with an ATR-42 based in Glasgow which dropped into Newcastle in both directions just on its way to Paris CDG.

SWBKCB
19th Jul 2023, 07:53
And to think it all started with an ATR-42 based in Glasgow which dropped into Newcastle in both directions just on its way to Paris CDG.

Think it was a EMB-120 originally on the GLA-NCL-CDG

GrahamK
19th Jul 2023, 19:30
Good to see Aegean have added flights to Athens over the Xmas period, seems to be a popular flight.

jensdad
20th Jul 2023, 02:45
Just putting this down carefully then standing back well back - Newcastle 6th in the list of the 10 least stressful airports in Europe...

https://www.cntraveller.com/article/least-stressful-airports-in-europe
Quite a selective bunch, Conde Nast travellers - they obviously haven't been to North Ronaldsay :)
Joking aside, good to see NCL on a list that we want to be on.

Jamesair1
20th Jul 2023, 15:45
HOLIDAY BEST...using SOUTHWIND AIRLINES for charter flights to TURKEY for the 2024 SUMMER SEASON.

cr SEAN M

Beatts
20th Jul 2023, 19:28
https://bdaily.co.uk/articles/2023/07/20/newcastle-international-airport-prepares-to-welcome-over-13-million-passengers-this-summer

"complete refurbishment of all of the catering outlets within the next 18 months."

N707ZS
21st Jul 2023, 05:52
Hope the couches are laid to rest in the shed.

Jamesair1
28th Jul 2023, 15:31
SUN EXPRESS....SUMMER 24

ANTALYA flights to be increased from 3 to 5 wkly. Flights also become year round operating 1 wkly DEC/JAN/FEB/MAR

cr.NCL airport
Sun Express

GrahamK
30th Jul 2023, 08:34
First visit of a Jumbo Jet for a few years tonight. Last one was either BA or the UAE?

Jamesair1
30th Jul 2023, 15:13
It's B744 of ATLAS AIR due in from New York at 2111......almost certainly carrying NUFC home.

Beatts
31st Jul 2023, 14:53
https://bdaily.co.uk/articles/2023/07/31/newcastle-international-airport-announces-further-klm-investment-with-new-flights

Jamesair1
31st Jul 2023, 15:14
Good news indeed...up to 5 x daily....especially as it goes against the constant cutting of slots at Schipol. Must be a profitable route for KLM

Asturias56
31st Jul 2023, 16:08
Lot of feeder traffic to long haul I 'd guess. - certainly better than LHR

SWBKCB
31st Jul 2023, 16:10
As usual, intersting use of the word 'new' - this is a restoration to 5. Hasn't it been up to 6?

Beatts
31st Jul 2023, 17:40
TUI flight from Newcastle to Mexico diverted to Glasgow due to 'weather conditions'

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/tui-flight-newcastle-mexico-diverted-27431663#comments-wrapper

Yeehaw22
31st Jul 2023, 17:48
TUI flight from Newcastle to Mexico diverted to Glasgow due to 'weather conditions'

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/tui-flight-newcastle-mexico-diverted-27431663#comments-wrapper

​​​​​Think some journalists need to understand the difference between a divert and a tech stop :ugh:

N707ZS
31st Jul 2023, 18:15
Has Newcastle fitted new scanners or do you still need your clear plastic bags for security.

CabinCrewe
31st Jul 2023, 22:21
Has Newcastle fitted new scanners.
Nope.

CabinCrewe
31st Jul 2023, 22:23
odd that TUI NCL-Cancun 788 did a fuel stop in GLA ?
stop press:
”Unfortunately, due to weather conditions at Newcastle Airport affecting the performance of the aircraft, the flight was forced to make a stop at Glasgow in order to pick additional fuel for the onward journey.

SJL26779
31st Jul 2023, 23:18
odd that TUI NCL-Cancun 788 did a fuel stop in GLA ?
stop press:
”Unfortunately, due to weather conditions at Newcastle Airport affecting the performance of the aircraft, the flight was forced to make a stop at Glasgow in order to pick additional fuel for the onward journey.

Not sure what "weather" conditions we had that would affect this

The Flying Stool
1st Aug 2023, 08:44
A combination of a short, wet runway, slack winds, low air pressure and a heavy aircraft. It hasn't been explained properly but basically it can take off, just not with enough fuel to get all the way to Cancun. Glasgow may have had higher air pressure, a more favourable headwind and the runway is longer. This happens regularly at Newcastle. It can even happen on Cyprus or Canary Island flights from Newcastle. Nobody is making stuff up here.

Smudge's Lot
1st Aug 2023, 08:44
Wet runway/low pressure/not enough headwind component all balanced against passenger load/fuel required for the flight(usually overall headwind component going westbound)
It's a HUGE balancing act and the decision to go somewhere else for more fuel has to be taken early.

Smudge's Lot
1st Aug 2023, 08:45
Ha, we crossed!

SWBKCB
1st Aug 2023, 08:53
A combination of a short, wet runway, slack winds, low air pressure and a heavy aircraft. It hasn't been explained properly but basically it can take off, just not with enough fuel to get all the way to Cancun. Glasgow may have had higher air pressure, a more favourable headwind and the runway is longer. This happens regularly at Newcastle. It can even happen on Cyprus or Canary Island flights from Newcastle. Nobody is making stuff up here.

Yes, it's not unusual to see flights to the far Med or the Canaries go off 07 when weather conditions allow, when the rest of the traffic pattern is 25. 07 has fewer obstacles so allowing departures at higher weights.

LW940
1st Aug 2023, 09:26
Ryanair’s route to Shannon seems to be a bit of a slow starter

23% load factor; 44 pax for May!

Jamesair1
2nd Aug 2023, 07:33
Not sure why they changed Cork for Shannon......Cork always seemed to have reasonable loads.

AVGEEK7812
2nd Aug 2023, 08:33
Not sure why they changed CORK for SHANNON,,,,CORK always seemed to have reasonable loads.

your posts are incredibly annoying to read. Why are some words in CAPITAL letters? Shannon & Cork is so much easier to read than all caps

Jamesair1
2nd Aug 2023, 15:29
Just force of habit....no wish to cause nervous breakdowns...I have mended my ways.

VickersVicount
2nd Aug 2023, 16:44
Ryanair’s route to Shannon seems to be a bit of a slow starter

23% load factor; 44 pax for May!
A youtuber showing an empty cabin. Another for the bin I suspect. 189 seats on that is ridiculous.

GrahamK
2nd Aug 2023, 18:22
A youtuber showing an empty cabin. Another for the bin I suspect. 189 seats on that is ridiculous.
Have to agree, why they canned Cork , which was doing a lot better, and replaced it with an airport in the middle of nowhere. Was never going to be a popular choice, even with Ryanairs low fares

AVGEEK7812
2nd Aug 2023, 18:49
Have to agree, why they canned Cork , which was doing a lot better, and replaced it with an airport in the middle of nowhere. Was never going to be a popular choice, even with Ryanairs low fares

Airport in the middle of no where? I think not. Its near Limerick and Galway. Very popular cities. Also near loads of tourist attractions in Clare. It has a tonne of business’ in the region with numerous on its door step in Shannon Ind estate.

Loads of routes work out of SNN including BHX, MAN, EDI, LPL. It has more routes to the US than NCL.

Great for a ‘Airport in the middle of no where’

N707ZS
2nd Aug 2023, 21:20
Could do with more none bucket and spade routes.

JKKne
2nd Aug 2023, 21:36
Airport in the middle of no where? I think not. Its near Limerick and Galway. Very popular cities. Also near loads of tourist attractions in Clare. It has a tonne of business’ in the region with numerous on its door step in Shannon Ind estate.

Loads of routes work out of SNN including BHX, MAN, EDI, LPL. It has more routes to the US than NCL.

Great for a ‘Airport in the middle of no where’

Clearly your passionate about the airport which is good to see. I imagine Newcastle would sustain a US route if it had US pre clearance element to it and of course, Ireland and the US have long and rich cultural links which Newcastle could never replicate.

Limerick and Galway have a combined population of under 200,000 - Sunderland (no airport) has 150,000 more. Newcastle handles millions more passengers than Shannon

But alas, as a hereditary Irish passport holder - I really don't get the defensive nature on this forum sometimes. Your local airport offers what you need and does a job, mine does the same. We all want more and better!

Asturias56
3rd Aug 2023, 08:46
"Newcastle would sustain a US route if it had US pre clearance element to it"

you'd be paying the US to station several Immigration officers at NCL for one or two flights a day - get real................

SWBKCB
3rd Aug 2023, 09:32
"Newcastle would sustain a US route if it had US pre clearance element to it"

you'd be paying the US to station several Immigration officers at NCL for one or two flights a day - get real................

Like Shannon you mean? Just a comparison, not a serious suggestion.

AVGEEK7812
3rd Aug 2023, 09:50
Like Shannon you mean? Just a comparison, not a serious suggestion.

Shannon has numerous jets stopover daily and they use CBP as well.

Asturias56
3rd Aug 2023, 16:21
And its in Ireland - US rules are different for the Irish

N707ZS
4th Aug 2023, 11:22
Shannon has numerous jets stopover daily and they use CBP as well.
Aren't quite a number of these bizz movements.

AVGEEK7812
4th Aug 2023, 13:31
Aren't quite a number of these bizz movements.

Yes but some also stop to use the CBP. It was extended in Shannon to allow this

Jamesair1
6th Aug 2023, 17:04
Air France winter 23/24 to Paris CDG appears to operate...M/Tu/W/F 2x daily Th/Sa/Su 3 x daily.....17 weekly....numerous connections via AMS shown

Wallsendmag
6th Aug 2023, 21:38
Air France winter 23/24 to Paris CDG appears to operate...M/Tu/W/F 2x daily Th/Sa/Su 3 x daily.....17 weekly....numerous connections via AMS shown
Is the connection by plane or train?

ash666
6th Aug 2023, 21:50
Plane.
Remember AF and KLM are joined now so you can mix and match, eg I will soon fly out east with AF out and KLM back. Very handy.

fl dutchman
6th Aug 2023, 22:58

I think what is meant is that there are 17 non stop flights per week from NCL-CDG. In addition there are several other flights to CDG from NCL connecting at AMS with KLM.( plane)

Jamesair1
7th Aug 2023, 07:25
Exactly...all via AMS ...KLM ....17 weekly is a cut from the 3 daily we have been used to on the route.

Asturias56
7th Aug 2023, 09:22
IIRC KLM are under pressure to cut flight totals at AMS

Asturias56
7th Aug 2023, 09:27

Much the same time end to end - years ago I took the early morning flight out of Paris to AMS - packed with business folk.

They announced that as part of the AF current promotion there was prize for a passenger - 2 envelopes waved in the air - one handed to the guy in 1C to announce the prize. It was 2 Concorde returns to NY - which certainly woke everyone up - I've never seen an inflight announcement awaited by 100% of the passengers before. The lady in 1 D opened the winning seat number - some guy in 38G went ape.....................

certainly made the time pass quickly

SWBKCB
7th Aug 2023, 10:05
IIRC KLM are under pressure to cut flight totals at AMS

KLM are going back to five a day this Winter, so probably neutral overall

https://www.newcastleairport.com/news-and-reporting/latest-news/klm-increase-to-five-flights-a-day-from-newcastle-airport-to-amsterdam-schiphol/

Jamesair1
8th Aug 2023, 07:38
Loganair Winter schedule seems to be:
Aberdeen.....10 wkly. Exeter....3 weekly. Southampton.....18 wkly. Stavanger..... 4 wkly,

Diff Tail Shim
8th Aug 2023, 16:05
Loganair Winter schedule seems to be:
Aberdeen.....10 wkly. Exeter....3 weekly. Southampton.....18 wkly. Stavanger..... 4 wkly,
Similar to last winter with the additions of ABZ? NQY is not profitable between Nov and Mar. Nor Bergen. Fact of life. Of course Footie and other Charter work from NCL is possible.

Jamesair1
8th Aug 2023, 16:59
Plus SOU operating 3 x daily....up from 2 daily last winter, so will be a good overall increase in NCL ops

highwideandugly
8th Aug 2023, 20:10
Yet more delays continue as aircraft hold due ATC ? Breaks..I can’t remember in past years this ever happening..is there a specific reason this year..new rules etc? Can’t believe the companies too happy though?

And yes..I know the closures are published!

Diff Tail Shim
8th Aug 2023, 22:47
Yet more delays continue as aircraft hold due ATC ? Breaks..I can’t remember in past years this ever happening..is there a specific reason this year..new rules etc? Can’t believe the companies too happy though?

And yes..I know the closures are published!
External issue. Try some idiot flying something in controlled airspace illegally

Diff Tail Shim
9th Aug 2023, 00:10
Plus SOU operating 3 x daily....up from 2 daily last winter, so will be a good overall increase in NCL ops
Not an NCL based aircraft. Maybe in the winter. You know more than I.

fl dutchman
9th Aug 2023, 10:38
Loganair. Still 2 Based aircraft for winter. The third SOU rotation (mid afternoon) however is a SOU aircraft on a W pattern.

Jamesair1
9th Aug 2023, 15:30
It provides a SOU - NCL - ABZ one stop service

Diff Tail Shim
9th Aug 2023, 19:31
It provides a SOU - NCL - ABZ one stop service
If everything works to plan perhaps.

NorthEasterner
14th Aug 2023, 09:10
It's a shame that EXT never returned to daily since the Flybe 1.0 days. Presumably the market has changed post COVID.

Jamesair1
14th Aug 2023, 12:58
The route carried 1,382 pax in April and 1,458 in May.... if it continues to increase numbers, you never know.

GBYAJ
20th Aug 2023, 16:44
Ryanair - hi, does anyone know if all routes from
NCL are now on sale for summer 2024? Looking for Milan Bergamo but only bookable until end Of March.

ash666
20th Aug 2023, 16:49
I don't know but if you are going for a city break stay in Città Alta rather than Milan. Very easy transfer, beautiful walled town on a hill looking over Bergamo and more to see than Milan which has the Duomo and shopping arcade and not much else and is an easy 1 hour train ride anyway.

GBYAJ
20th Aug 2023, 18:17
[QUOTE=ash666;11488170]I don't know but if you are going for a city break stay in Città Alta rather than Milan. Very easy transfer, beautiful walled town on a hill looking over Bergamo and more to see than Milan which has the Duomo and shopping arcade and not much else and is an easy 1 hour train ride anyway.

thanks for the recommendation! Have just returned from Lake Garda (via TUI and Verona ) so am looking into next year now.

ash666
20th Aug 2023, 18:21
Feel free to pm me if you have questions

Asturias56
20th Aug 2023, 19:35
however if you are on business Milan is ... unavoidable

LW940
21st Aug 2023, 12:46
Another poor month for the NCL-SNN route for June.

25% LF; 49 pax

Still strange to why they moved from ORK as it achieved much better numbers

ash666
21st Aug 2023, 20:47
What happened to Air France today?

RA85684
21st Aug 2023, 21:50
Yeah it's a shame to see SNN not performing very well, and the flights are dirt cheap! I know the breakeven numbers will be relatively low for it but I highly doubt that 25% is gonna cut the mustard.

In an ideal world it would be lovely to see SNN, ORK and DUB coexist, but I doubt we're going to see that happen unless SNN starts pulling some impressive numbers and profitability at x2pw.

It would be nice to see SNN swapped back to ORK if the route does get discontinued, I'd be very surprised if ORK wasn't turning at least a little bit of profit for FR.

I hope we might see a bit of a response to LS and BY's expansion for S24 - FR have stagnated at NCL the last few seasons, there are a handful of quite obvious unserved routes that I think FR would be a good fit on out of NCL, as well as frequency increase - the likes of Malaga and Barcelona could sustain at least a couple of extra weekly flights.

Lets see what happens.

GAXLN
22nd Aug 2023, 12:48
I think Ryanair should seriously consider Malta for their route mix. Underserved and high seat only yields evidenced by jet2.com fares.

ash666
22nd Aug 2023, 12:54
I think Ryanair should seriously consider Malta for their route mix. Underserved and high seat only yields evidenced by jet2.com fares.

Agree

SWBKCB
22nd Aug 2023, 13:44
FR have stagnated at NCL the last few seasons

​​​​​​​They only opened the base in March 2022!?