PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth-4

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

southender
19th Oct 2019, 08:03
Barcelona - not a place to visit at the moment though

rog747
19th Oct 2019, 10:22
Seems there is a Pprune rumour about Jet 2 and BOH.............I know nothing...

yeo valley
19th Oct 2019, 11:20
All the GRO flights this summer (Mon, Wed, Fri ,Sat) were operated by the BOH based aircraft. All of the Summer 2020 flights for the based aircraft have been loaded except for GRO. It will be interesting to see what happens.
You looking at what I posted wrong. The only GRO flights will be STN. No GRO flight,and it wont be added later. I cant say it much more clear than that.GRO dropped and lets hope they add some thing to replace it.

Sharklet_321
20th Oct 2019, 14:13
Flights now on sale on Tue and Sat for Paphos in S20. Annoyingly someone has edited Wikipedia showing flights incorrectly ending 4Nov’19.

MARKEYD
20th Oct 2019, 14:56
It’s rather slow work in progress with Ryanair 2020
At the moment I think they are re jigging the schedule as still 4 gaps left from the defunct Gerona route and remains to be seen if they fit a Palma rotation or indeed a new destination ( Pisa or Barcelona would be good )

I also think LPA has gone for the summer as no room in the schedule to fit that long sector in

shamrock7seal
21st Oct 2019, 15:13
Apparently Lauda are operating from several UK airports to Palma next year on behalf of Ryanair. Not yet clear if this includes BOH but may explain why currently only Tues and Weds flights are on sale.

Sharklet_321
21st Oct 2019, 17:18
New route being revealed tomorrow

Dropoffcharge
21st Oct 2019, 18:03
New route being revealed tomorrow
With Ryanair??

BOHEuropean
21st Oct 2019, 19:35
With Ryanair??

Bournemouth Airport's Facebook page shows: "We're going where the sun shines brightly, we're going where the sea is blue...a new destination route from Bournemouth Airport is unveiled here tomorrow. Find out where, and with what carrier, from 10am Tuesday, 22nd October."

Buster the Bear
21st Oct 2019, 20:07
Well according to Cliff Richard, he ended up in Athens.

GayFriendly
21st Oct 2019, 22:44
Lauda have already announced that they are operating some PMI-BHX, EDI and NCL flights in 2020 so I would say this is highly likely for other UK airports including BOH.

Be aware though that Lauda flights are not always operated by Lauda metal, I flew FUE-TXL in December advertised as Lauda but was operated on an FR 738.

BOHEuropean
22nd Oct 2019, 07:05
On Friday's, from 1st May 2020 - 25th September 2020, TUI will operate to Skiathos

07:10-12:25 BOH-JSI
13:25-14:55 JSI-BOH

However, that now means there are three departures on Friday mornings, all listed as TUI Airways on the TUI site:

06:00-11:15 BOH-CFU
07:10-12:25 BOH-JSI
07:50-10:55 BOH-REU

Still only two departures in the afternoons on Friday's:

14:25-20:20 BOH-HER
16:00-20:05 BOH-TFS

Interesting that the aircraft will presumably position down every Friday, rather than operating a W pattern into the airport for the weekend.

As a side note, Freebird will be operating the AYT again next summer but only on Wednesday, 20th May - 23rd September

09:30-15:50 BOH-AYT
06:00-08:30 AYT-BOH

fanrailuk
22nd Oct 2019, 07:53
Lauda have already announced that they are operating some PMI-BHX, EDI and NCL flights in 2020 so I would say this is highly likely for other UK airports including BOH.

Be aware though that Lauda flights are not always operated by Lauda metal, I flew FUE-TXL in December advertised as Lauda but was operated on an FR 738.

You are correct. These new routes and changes were released last week and updated yesterday.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/287005/lauda-s20-new-routes-as-of-18oct19/

MARKEYD
22nd Oct 2019, 08:07
Great news about Skiathos being added a very popular choice and should sell well

Not sure how the aircraft pans in though as like has been discussed 3 TUI flights now depart Friday am

Good to see an increase in Antalya flights with TUI operating on Sat and now an extra service on Wed with Freebird no doubt

Wondering now if TUI will share the second based aircraft with Exeter as they now have a second based aircraft Mon - Wed

Sharklet_321
22nd Oct 2019, 10:26
Lauda will be operating in S20 to Palma from BOH

rog747
23rd Oct 2019, 07:02
Great news about Skiathos being added a very popular choice and should sell well

Not sure how the aircraft pans in though as like has been discussed 3 TUI flights now depart Friday am

Good to see an increase in Antalya flights with TUI operating on Sat and now an extra service on Wed with Freebird no doubt

Wondering now if TUI will share the second based aircraft with Exeter as they now have a second based aircraft Mon - Wed

I think BOH benefits from a LTN based a/c for 0.5 a week, and then EXT gets the other half of the week for a second aircraft there.

ROC10
23rd Oct 2019, 12:31
I think BOH benefits from a LTN based a/c for 0.5 a week, and then EXT gets the other half of the week for a second aircraft there.

Correct TUI are sending a LTN based 737 next Summer to spend the half the week at EXT then over to BOH for the rest of the week it seems.
So EXT and BOH both see 1 and a 1/2 737NG's based for them each week.

Back in the early 70's LTN had around 10 Court Line 1-11 500's and 2 Tristars
BMA usually had one or two 1-11 500's operating on IT's.
Dan Air had 5 LTN based 1-11 300/400 (tel:1-11 300/400)'s plus the Comets and 727-100's coming in on W patterns for longer routes.
Monarch had both a handful of Brits and a handful of 720B's based
and Britannia had about a dozen or so 737-200's on the fleet by then

It’s not a LTN-based 737 though if it’s spending the whole week out of LTN? LTN only had one based aircraft this summer (757) and will have at least one for S20 (not sure which type). The original thoughts were that a LTN a/c would spend Mon-Thurs there and then work from BOH Fri-Sun. It now looks like a single a/c will operate from EXT Mon-Thurs and BOH Fri-Sun, meaning the a/c is clearly not LTN-based.

rog747
23rd Oct 2019, 12:34
Maybe the 738 was intended for LTN base and has now been redeployed - No worries - Just happy we have some more stuff and hols from down here in our local patch

Bournemouthair
23rd Oct 2019, 19:24
So is the second TUI Aircraft based a fixed schedule from summer 2020

MARKEYD
23rd Oct 2019, 19:48
Yes i think that’s actually been confirmed from some time now and has been in discussion for a while

Friday to Sunday based

MARKEYD
24th Oct 2019, 08:10
TUI have removed Reus from sale on a Friday now which clears up the issue of 3 departures on Friday am
Remains to be seen if its brought back on sale on another day that better fits in , but at the moment its been removed

Dropoffcharge
24th Oct 2019, 12:39
I guess this will be rescheduled where there is a gap as was a new route wasn't it?

MARKEYD
25th Oct 2019, 15:05
August passenger figures are finally out and worth the wait again

August saw 97 , 311 passengers up a huge 21 %

Looks like the TUI passenger figures are more reliable this month , will just publish a few of the new destinations , the rest of the TUI operation was about 98 % full , given Aug is there top month

Heraklion 1821 pax average about 182 per flight
Kefalonia 1475 pax average of about 184 per flight
Antalya. 1703 pax average about 170 per flight

Ryanair also had a good month with high load factors on most of the Spanish routes

Dublin 5933 pax , average of about 165 per flight
Prague. 2820. pax , average of about 157 per flight
Krakow 3202 pax , average of 178 per flight

Palma of note saw 18 , 367 use this route between TUI and Ryanair , quite incredible

Hopefully Ryanair should finish off there summer 2020 soon . I think they are tinkering around with the missing gaps for Gerona so may see Palma in there or even better a new destination

MARKEYD
30th Oct 2019, 17:15
Ryanair continue to load the summer 20 flights with Palma now showing as operating daily and has already been confirmed that Lauda will operate 5 of these flights on a A320 ( nice to see a new airline at BOH )

There is still 4 gaps in the operation at the moment so it is still possible that Gerona will continue to operate as they did last year and given that Southend today are operating to Gerona as a new destination using a SEN based aircraft its quite probable , or else a new destination is going to be offered

yeo valley
30th Oct 2019, 18:56
Ryanair will fly to Gerona from 1 UK airport next summer,and that airport will be STN,all rotations to Gerona will finish end of winter season with the exception of STN.
The airline Lauda is wholely owned by Ryanair,as they bought the remaining shares to own the airline.

Sharklet_321
30th Oct 2019, 19:03
I would expect Ryanair to announce a new route or two sooner or later

ROC10
30th Oct 2019, 19:16
I think you guys mean Girona, Spain and not Gerona, Italy...

I would expect Ryanair to announce a new route or two sooner or later

Both are acceptable spellings, Gerona is actually more correct as it is the Spanish, Girona is the anglicised version. I believe you might be thinking of Genoa? I don’t think there’s a place in Italy called Gerona? Not a large place anyway.

Fly757X
30th Oct 2019, 19:27
Both are acceptable spellings, Gerona is actually more correct as it is the Spanish, Girona is the anglicised version. I believe you might be thinking of Genoa? I don’t think there’s a place in Italy called Gerona? Not a large place anyway.

Certainly sounds like a mash of "Verona" and "Genoa" I'd say. But mistakes happen, after all they're there to be made!

MARKEYD
30th Oct 2019, 20:08
[QUOTE=yeo valley;10606823]Ryanair will fly to Gerona from 1 UK airport next summer,and that airport will be STN,all rotations to Gerona will finish end of winter season with the exception of STN

So how come Southend is on sale today as a new destination

Just be careful with your pushy statements , Ryanair are renowned for changing there minds at the eleventh hour , guess they have made a new deal with them

shamrock7seal
30th Oct 2019, 23:00
When will the lauda services be on sale? They’re loaded in the system and showing as sold out online, but not unlocked for sale yet.

Le Tirer
30th Oct 2019, 23:25
Both are acceptable spellings, Gerona is actually more correct as it is the Spanish, Girona is the anglicised version.

Yes, both are correct. Gerona is the Spanish version, Girona is actually the Catalan version.

ROC10
30th Oct 2019, 23:41
Yes, both are correct. Gerona is the Spanish version, Girona is actually the Catalan version.

Thank you for correcting me, I overlooked that, it is therefore of course very accurate. It does seem to be the preferred English spelling too though. Regardless, I think we’ve established Gerona is very much in Spain.

rog747
31st Oct 2019, 06:36
Gerona Airport GRO was it's name from when the airport opened in the mid 1960's for Costa Brava holidays.

In more recent times with the strong Catalan Independence movement the local name used now and is Girona, and as mentioned Girona is now widely used by tour companies and airlines alike.

Like at IBZ Ibiza - the locals call it Aeroport d'Eivissa, and this is displayed on the Terminal building in big letters, as is at Girona, Costa Brava.

Hope this link works - some nice old photos of Gerona Airport 1960's

https://en.todocoleccion.net/postcards-planes/aeropuerto-girona-p16595~x56303120#sobre_el_lote

rog747
31st Oct 2019, 06:41
Verona would be a nice summer addition to BOH - Popular for Lake Garda holidays (Inghams, Citalalia, TUI all have strong markets there and have own flights from BRS (Neos 738)
and SOU, but have FlyMaybe just ditched SOU-VRN for S20?
-- unless Inghams are doing their own BE charters as they show holidays selling SOU-VRN on both WEDS & SATS for S20

toledoashley
31st Oct 2019, 07:00
When will the lauda services be on sale? They’re loaded in the system and showing as sold out online, but not unlocked for sale yet.

It doesn’t look like it is an actual Lauda service, it has a Ryanair flight number. So maybe Lauda are just operating some services for them given the aircraft situation, and they have excess 320’s?

yeo valley
31st Oct 2019, 07:52
Lauda is owned by Ryanair and they have transferred a couple of rotations to Lauda at BRS on the PMI servixe. At BOH they wont transfer routes to Lauda and dilute Ryanair rotations,so if Lauda operates PMI then Ryanair will drop the routes. Nothing gained really unless FR are to operate something else from BOH,and I hope they do.Also be good to see a fresh airline in BOH AS in A320 aircraft in Lauda colors.

Flitefone
5th Nov 2019, 08:59
Lauda is owned by Ryanair and they have transferred a couple of rotations to Lauda at BRS on the PMI servixe. At BOH they wont transfer routes to Lauda and dilute Ryanair rotations,so if Lauda operates PMI then Ryanair will drop the routes. Nothing gained really unless FR are to operate something else from BOH,and I hope they do.Also be good to see a fresh airline in BOH AS in A320 aircraft in Lauda colors.

it looks like the lack of Max aircraft has led to confirmed use of Lauda capacity by Ryanair for Summer 20 on BOH/PMI

RYR results announced this week make clear that Lauda facing profit headwinds in Austria and Germany, good to see the capacity redeployed to more profitable use on the BOH market.
FF

MerchantVenturer
5th Nov 2019, 09:51
it looks like the lack of Max aircraft has led to confirmed use of Lauda capacity by Ryanair for Summer 20 on BOH/PMI
RYR results announced this week make clear that Lauda facing profit headwinds in Austria and Germany, good to see the capacity redeployed to more profitable use on the BOH market.
FF
One of the Ryanair Bristol-Palma rotations each week next summer will be operated by a Lauda aircraft, albeit under a FR flight number.

Conversely, Lauda's Vienna-Bristol route next summer will see one of the rotations each week operated by a Ryanair aircraft with an OE flight number.

MARKEYD
5th Nov 2019, 12:23
Ryanair have added an extra flight to Palma again on a Thursday this time through from June - Oct operated by Lauda
This makes 12 flights a week to Palma with Ryanair , Lauda and TUI

Captcargo
14th Nov 2019, 11:21
Flybe to ditch Southampton summer routesFlybe, rebranding as Virgin Connect next year, has scrapped eight summer routes from Southampton in a blow to the regional airport.

Malaga, Alicante, Palma, Faro, Biarritz, Nantes, Bordeaux and Bastia in Corsica will not operate in summer 2020.

The airport said the decision reflects the need for it to have a longer runway so it can accept a wider range of aircraft. It recently submitted plans to extend its runway.

While Southampton services have been reduced, Flybe is adding seven new routes from London Southend and one from Manchester.

It will launch flights for the first time from Southend to Belfast City, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle, Isle of Man and Jersey. It already flies from Southend to Caen, Groningen, Newquay and Rennes.

It is also introducing flights from Manchester to Stuttgart.

Seats will go on sale this week for Flybe's 2,500 flights a week across the UK and regional mainland Europe next summer.

Additional summer routes will be announced shortly, it said.

Southend Airport is owned by the Stobart Group, one of its new co-owners. It will offer 214 flights a week on 10 routes from the London airport.

The Southend flights will be operated by three of Flybe's own 78-seat De-Havilland Q400 turboprops based in Belfast City, Edinburgh and Glasgow alongside two 70-seat ATR aircraft based at Southend.

SWBKCB
14th Nov 2019, 11:35
You forgot to mention the increases from SOU...

SOUTHAMPTON
o Increased frequency – Edinburgh (to 5 daily with new early morning departure); Newcastle (to 4 daily); Paris Charles de Gaulle (to 3 daily Mon-Fri and twice daily on Sundays)

MARKEYD
14th Nov 2019, 11:47
I think the above 2 posts are on the wrong thread for a start

September passenger figures are finally out and Bournemouth handled 93 , 391 passengers up a huge 23 %

TUI had near full loads on all there flights including new destinations Heraklion and Kefalonia which finished the season with an average of 183 pax per flight

Ryanair as expected also did well with high load factors especially the usual Spanish destinations

Prague , new this year saw an average load of 170 pax per flight and Dublin about 151 pax

Ryanair still have 4 gaps to fill on the summer schedule and still dont seem to have filled the gap left by Gerona
Obviously at the moment LPA is also ending at the end of March with the base closing so unlikely to be filled now as the BOH based aircraft is fully committed

Captcargo
14th Nov 2019, 13:52
Sorry about that, how to start a new thread isn't exactly clear on the page. Being so close to BOH will this encourage Ryanair to increase its capacity on some, not all of these 'sunshine' destinations?

Wycombe
14th Nov 2019, 15:36
Sorry about that, how to start a new thread isn't exactly clear on the page

The BOH and SOU threads have been running for years on here, so not sure why a new one is needed?

shamrock7seal
23rd Nov 2019, 09:53
BOH will need to compete even more seriously in the coming years if SOU gets its runway extension approved. If not, Bournemouth could end up with a carbon copy of 'Southend' on its doorstep. Southend seems to be very comfortably cruising to 10million passengers a year with Ryanair, easyJet and Wizzair operations.

RW20
23rd Nov 2019, 14:05
BOH will need to compete even more seriously in the coming years if SOU gets its runway extension approved. If not, Bournemouth could end up with a carbon copy of 'Southend' on its doorstep. Southend seems to be very comfortably cruising to 10million passengers a year with Ryanair, easyJet and Wizzair operations.
Southend is effectively another London airport with increasing demands for more routes etc,it is limited to its runway length,but the owners and management were able to see this,and implement airside improvements in recent years,thus resulting in a viable flourishing airport. SOU should have done the same in recent years,and would probably be in the same flourishing position as Southend by now. However we know this hasn't happened,and the question is, have SOU owners left it to late with the environment issues dominating decisions.

​​​​​​

Plane mad 134
26th Nov 2019, 15:39
Aer Lingus will be announcing Dublin-Bournemouth soon as I have just checked the ACL initial coordination report where it says Bournemouth will be a new route!

Ryanair will also Increase Dublin service too!

MARKEYD
26th Nov 2019, 15:54
I am sorry but i very much doubt if Aer Lingus will return to BOH , Ryanair will wipe the floor with them , there is just not the demand here for 2 carriers on the same route
They have already tried the route but unsuccessful a few years ago

I think that Ryanair will however make adjustments to some of the summer schedule soon as they have an aircraft sat on the ground 4 days of the week for over 5 hrs between flights ( ex Gerona route )

FRatSTN
26th Nov 2019, 17:03
Aer Lingus
Aer Lingus will be announcing Dublin-Bournemouth soon as I have just checked the ACL initial coordination report where it says Bournemouth will be a new route!

Ryanair will also Increase Dublin service too!

Don't take what you see in the ACL reports as gospel, especially at this stage. There's an awful lot of provisional and tactical slot booking that goes on between airlines or across multiple airports.

Sharklet_321
26th Nov 2019, 19:28
Agreed - it’s far more likely that they are using Bournemouth as a holder for Southampton. Southampton airport will be doing everything they can to move away from reliance on Flybe

yeo valley
27th Nov 2019, 05:47
Aer Lingus wont be doing a service to BOH. As stated they ran DUB service a few years back and could not make the route work,and no Ryanair on the same route then not like now.

FFHKG
27th Nov 2019, 08:30
Maybe they see it as a feeder to their transatlantic routes..... remember, Dublin has pre-clearance, unlike LHR, so could very well be attractive to both the VFR and business markets. Additionally, you can avoid the chaotic "shopping mall" experience of LHR.

Dropoffcharge
27th Nov 2019, 09:30
Maybe they see it as a feeder to their transatlantic routes
This surely would be the only explanation for it, could prove to be a great move and a nice addition to BOH if happened.

MARKEYD
27th Nov 2019, 10:01
Really don’t want to be downer on this one but they tried all of this a few years ago now , even launched the pre customs clearance and sold onward flights to the States . It just didn’t happen and loads were poor on the ATR s

I cant really see what has changed , Ryanair hate to say it are the winners on this route and there is no room for another carrier

Sharklet_321
27th Nov 2019, 11:11
Aer Lingus is the wrong airline for Bournemouth. It’s perfect for Southampton along with all the other regional or full service carriers. Bournemouth’s future can and should be low cost.

SWBKCB
27th Nov 2019, 12:09
It’s perfect for Southampton along with all the other regional or full service carriers.

And could be added to the long list of such airlines that have tried SOU

Sharklet_321
27th Nov 2019, 16:50
Two new destinations to be revealed tomorrow

Plane mad 134
27th Nov 2019, 16:57
I believe Aer Lingus will be one of those to Dublin.

Dropoffcharge
27th Nov 2019, 17:05
source being??

Badgermanuk
27th Nov 2019, 17:23
From the Airport Facebook page

We've got two winter warmers for you for this time next year - destination announcements here tomorrow (Thursday).

Devil in the Detail ? Doesn't say New, so assuming a old route revisited but wouldn't put Dublin (rumoured ) in a Winter Warmer category !

PDXCWL45
27th Nov 2019, 18:02
From the Airport Facebook page

We've got two winter warmers for you for this time next year - destination announcements here tomorrow (Thursday).

Devil in the Detail ? Doesn't say New, so assuming a old route revisited but wouldn't put Dublin (rumoured ) in a Winter Warmer category !
May be TUI related.

Le Tirer
27th Nov 2019, 18:45
We will have to wait a bit longer to find out as they have now changed their Facebook page to say the announcement will be on Friday!

Dropoffcharge
27th Nov 2019, 18:49
We will have to wait a bit longer to find out as they have now changed their Facebook page to say the announcement will be on Friday!

All sounds very comical, maybe is no actual announcement at all.

MARKEYD
27th Nov 2019, 18:55
I have a feeling its with TUI and i suspect its Sharm el Sheik and Cape Verde

The TUI aircraft has 2 days a week its non working , Wed and Sat so possibly those days and destinations !!

Flitefone
27th Nov 2019, 19:34
Agree with Markeyd, Cape Verde has been rumoured for a while. As regards Aer Lingus, Their strategy is connecting Europe to US, reaffirmed recently by IAG. I agree its unlikely EI at BOH but not impossible. I always thought RYR would end up feeding EI Long haul, so more likely to see frequency increase to DUB by RYR

FF

FFHKG
27th Nov 2019, 19:55
Ryanair to EI is self transfer and involves going landside to collect bags, then transfer to T2 and check them in again, whilst EI operate from T2 so far less hassle. Self-transfer carries risks if there are weather or operational delays..... not good if you are on a basic fare and miss the EI flight

ROC10
27th Nov 2019, 20:32
I have a feeling its with TUI and i suspect its Sharm el Sheik and Cape Verde

The TUI aircraft has 2 days a week its non working , Wed and Sat so possibly those days and destinations !!

I thought the additional aircraft was EXT Mon-Thu and BOH Fri-Sun? Or has this changed?

Le Tirer
27th Nov 2019, 20:48
The additional aircraft shared with Exeter is for Summer 2020. 'Winter warmers' suggest we are talking about new routes for Winter 2020/21. The TUI aircraft is doing Paphos on Wednesdays this winter and I thought it positioned to Gatwick on Friday night to carry out Saturday flights from there. I guess this could change for next winter.

ROC10
27th Nov 2019, 22:36
The additional aircraft shared with Exeter is for Summer 2020. 'Winter warmers' suggest we are talking about new routes for Winter 2020/21. The TUI aircraft is doing Paphos on Wednesdays this winter and I thought it positioned to Gatwick on Friday night to carry out Saturday flights from there. I guess this could change for next winter.

Apologies, I missed that it was winter. Yes, you’re right with that, PFO on Wed and is idle on Sat, but will possibly go to LGW again when the ski season kicks in.

The aircraft won’t be free on Wednesdays as PFO will still operate and unlikely a new destination will be added when it takes a break from Dec-Feb.

MARKEYD
28th Nov 2019, 08:31
More good news from TUI is the return of Sharm el Sheik

This will be operated on a Saturday throughout the winter 2020 / 21 period

Not sure what the other destination will be but its great to see some steady growth appear each year

Le Tirer
28th Nov 2019, 10:01
Bournemouth Airport Facebook page has posted this morning a Ryanair flyer stating "12 summer 2020 routes".
Alicante, Malaga, Palma, Murcia, Tenerife South, Faro, Malta, Paphos, Prague, Krakow and Dublin make 11. What is the 12th? Girona appears as a destination on the website and App but still no flights showing.

Dropoffcharge
28th Nov 2019, 10:24
Girona appears as a destination on the website and App but still no flights showing.

Think the Girona flights will be loaded on the RYN site soon, its due to operate Apr-Oct 20

Le Tirer
29th Nov 2019, 10:03
Airport Facebook page now changed again to say new destinations will be announced on Monday! Is this just a ploy to get people to keep visiting the page or simply incompetence?

Dropoffcharge
29th Nov 2019, 13:50
Airport Facebook page now changed again to say new destinations will be announced on Monday! Is this just a ploy to get people to keep visiting the page or simply incompetence?

Probably the latter, the social media department does seem to be somewhat lacking compared with other airports.

shamrock7seal
2nd Dec 2019, 10:56
Still no announcement... how irritating!

stewyb
2nd Dec 2019, 14:51
Lets face it, BOH social media presence is almost non existent. Not much of an announcement in any case as one route already confirmed as Sharm!

Le Tirer
3rd Dec 2019, 15:20
The long awaited announcement has now been posted. In addition to the TUI flights to Sharm el Sheikh that we already knew about, they have announced additional Winter 2020 flights to Tenerife also on a Saturday. This means BOH goes from having no Saturday TUI flights this winter to having two next Winter. With the Sharm flight departing at 09:00 and not returning until 21:10 presumably another aircraft will need to be brought in to operate to TFS. It has yet to appear on their timetable!

LT

ROC10
3rd Dec 2019, 15:29
The long awaited announcement has now been posted. In addition to the TUI flights to Sharm el Sheikh that we already knew about, they have announced additional Winter 2020 flights to Tenerife also on a Saturday. This means BOH goes from having no Saturday TUI flights this winter to having two next Winter. With the Sharm flight departing at 09:00 and not returning until 21:10 presumably another aircraft will need to be brought in to operate to TFS. It has yet to appear on their timetable!

LT

Sounds like it may be operated using the TFS based aircraft.

MARKEYD
3rd Dec 2019, 15:44
Thats got to be good news , 3 TUI flights to TFS plus the Ryanair flight shows just how popular it is down that area !!
Would have been nice to see Fuerteventura instead but TUI knows their market well

I suspect that it is indeed a TFS based aircraft though , as EXT has the same issue on a Wednesday next winter with SSH and TFS both operating on a Wed

MARKEYD
11th Dec 2019, 09:08
Ryanair have finally added Gerona back on to the network using a BOH based aircraft 4 times a week , same as last year

This means LPA is the only casualty on a Sat which was operated by a LPA based aircraft , with the base closed this will not now happen next summer
Not bad really considering how many cuts have been made throughout the network

Le Tirer
11th Dec 2019, 11:00
You looking at what I posted wrong. The only GRO flights will be STN. No GRO flight,and it wont be added later. I cant say it much more clear than that.GRO dropped and lets hope they add some thing to replace it.

Pleased to see GRO back. It always seemed likely to me despite what others were saying!

LT

Sharklet_321
17th Dec 2019, 20:03
BOH handled 80,686 pax in Oct-19 19% up versus the previous Oct which was 67,637

BOH is now handling 782,000 pax for the rolling 12-month period

Biggest gainers were on Paphos, Malaga, Lanzarote and Palma (which was almost 15,000 in October). Growth was seen on Ibiza, Girona, Faro, Malta and Rhodes.

Prague was very strong at 3,293 pax.

Krakow unusually saw a slight reduction in pax during Oct’19.

CAA didn’t release figures for BOH to Turkey or to Heraklion so the numbers could still rise.

SWBKCB
17th Dec 2019, 20:05
CAA didn’t release figures for BOH to Turkey or to Heraklion so the numbers could still rise.

More likely that BOH didn't provide numbers...

loopylee
17th Dec 2019, 20:56

That’s due to no Turkey or HER in Oct as they finish at the end of Sept!

Sharklet_321
17th Dec 2019, 21:10
That’s due to no Turkey or HER in Oct as they finish at the end of Sept!

Thanks for clearing that up loopylee. I was confused because in 2020 those routes appear to continue into October.

MARKEYD
19th Dec 2019, 14:03
TUI have put on sale the extra TFS flight which is operated on a Sat now using a BOH based aircraft , at the moment there is also the SSH flight , as well that departs on a Sat , so a second aircraft will be required from the UK somewhere to operate this
The TFS based aircraft has been used to go to NWI on a Sat where an extra flight has been added there

yeo valley
19th Dec 2019, 17:52
Le Tirer
I made the post as was told be a person that works for FR. Is it bookable yet. Some thing changed to offer GRO again.

MARKEYD
19th Dec 2019, 20:14
I absolutely agree .. Yeo valley
We all make “ posts “ but yours I have to say was very condescending in every level

None of us are ever armed with all the facts , we all
make judgment calls on what we think are right but just be careful before we post

I have done it myself, made quick calls back and have been proven wrong

This is a great forum for everyone to participate in who respects and contributes to , just be aware of everything, and that does also include some very and rather vocal ridiculous postings on Southampton Airport as well

Its not a competition, seriously

RW20
19th Dec 2019, 20:34
Clarify what you mean by ridiculous? Just because points are made that you don't agree with don't make them anymore irrelevant then your own comments.

Flitefone
20th Dec 2019, 11:22
The latest pronouncements of further delay to LHR R3 is good news for BOH, and for that matter SOU. I subscribe to the view that R3 will never see the light of day. Overspill throughout southern England is simply a matter of time.

FF

MARKEYD
31st Dec 2019, 13:10
As we move into a new decade hopefully Bournemouth will continue to flourish and expand under there new owners Rigby who seem to have really come up trumps so far

New for 2020 so far is mostly coming from TUI where as 2019 was Ryanair

Zante and Skiathos are new destinations with TUI while Corfu sees an extra flight as does Antalya with Freebird , Barbados cruise flights also upgraded to a TUI B 789

A 2 aircraft base also starts in May when 2 TUI B738 will operate Fri - Sun

In the winter 2020 /21 TUI are re introducing SSH and an extra TFS flight is also added to 3 a week

Ryanair continue with exactly the same schedule as summer 19 except the LPA service which is seasonal now due closure of the base . This could have been much worse though considering some other Ryanair bases and routes axed

Finally its the airports top priority to see a business lounge built ready for the start of the summer season

Sharklet_321
7th Jan 2020, 19:55
The airport announced a series of open days for public consultation on modernising the airspace. This includes moving entirely to satellite based airspace management by 2024. Pretty good news by the sound of it. Hope it results in reduced distances for approaches and departures.

stewyb
7th Jan 2020, 20:07
The airport announced a series of open days for public consultation on modernising the airspace. This includes moving entirely to satellite based airspace management by 2024. Pretty good news by the sound of it. Hope it results in reduced distances for approaches and departures.

Isn't this something like SOU had installed on R02 approach?

Flitefone
8th Jan 2020, 06:50
Isn't this something like SOU had installed on R02 approach?

its a national programme, part of a global modernisation of airspace structure & management. Terrestrial Navigation aids (VOR/DME, NDB) are being withdrawn. All UK airports will be obliged by govt to participate. Southern England is first. More details here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/airspace-modernisation

Using satellites for precision navigation guidance where ILS is not available is a big step forward, but unlikely to replace CAT III ILS for a long while yet.

FF

Sharklet_321
12th Jan 2020, 12:00
Is lauda happening in summer 20? Wikipedia listed it as a new airline and then it was deleted. But the Ryanair site seems to indicate pretty much all the BOH-PMI flights being operated by Lauda

PDXCWL45
12th Jan 2020, 12:43
Is lauda happening in summer 20? Wikipedia listed it as a new airline and then it was deleted. But the Ryanair site seems to indicate pretty much all the BOH-PMI flights being operated by Lauda
Operating on behalf of Ryanair I believe.

FFHKG
12th Jan 2020, 16:52
Lauda is a low cost airline that is now a subsidiary of Ryanair. Ryanair are also partners in another low cost airline Malta Air based in Malta. I think flights for both of these are booked through the Ryanair web site

yeo valley
12th Jan 2020, 18:15
Lauda is a low cost airline that is now a subsidiary of Ryanair. Ryanair are also partners in another low cost airline Malta Air based in Malta. I think flights for both of these are booked through the Ryanair web site
Ryanair also own Buzz which they bought from KLM years back.Apart from Lauda which operate A320 aircraft,Buzz and Malta air have B738 transferred over from Ryanair main fleet.

Buster the Bear
13th Jan 2020, 10:20
Lauda infilling the capacity lost at Ryanair by the MAX debacle.

MARKEYD
14th Jan 2020, 12:51
TUI have added another flight to Dalaman this summer using Freebird A320 on a Thursday evening
This now means there are 2 services to Antayla and 2 to Dalaman throughout the summer a big increase !!

Sharklet_321
14th Jan 2020, 19:23
Great news MARKEYD. For BOH to achieve growth from TUI and stability from Ryanair despite all the Boeing MAX issues is very reassuring. Hopefully 2021 will be even more rewarding.

Sharklet_321
18th Jan 2020, 09:07
Need to get to Geneva in February and searched for flights from BOH. One way fares were between £308 and £456 (depending which Saturday outbound flight you take) !

Needless to say it’s doing well

MARKEYD
18th Jan 2020, 09:13
Its actually school half term week so all the Easy jet flights along with all other airlines are " eye watering " prices for Feb from any UK airport not just BOH , so not really an indication

shamrock7seal
18th Jan 2020, 09:52
Finally the CAA statistics have been released for Bournemouth.

Seems like it grew 40% to 38,489 with year-to-date standing at 794,000.

Asturias56
18th Jan 2020, 11:24
Need to get to Geneva in February and searched for flights from BOH. One way fares were between £308 and £456 (depending which Saturday outbound flight you take) !

Needless to say it’s doing well

You have to remember that its by charging a fortune for flights when they can it keeps the route open in the (many) quiet days with less than a full 'plane.

MARKEYD
18th Jan 2020, 12:44
Good increase in passenger numbers for Nov up over 40 %

Mainly down to the continuation of Prague and Dublin with Ryanair into a year round service

Prague averaged load factors of 89 % and Dublin lower at 65 %

Krakow continues to perform really well at 93 % and could well do with another flight now but i think any expansion is on hold with Ryanair until the 737 max issue is sorted out

TUI was back on track with good loads on all their services and next winter will see further expansion with another flight to TFS taking it to 3 a week and the re introduction of Sharm

rog747
19th Jan 2020, 07:20
Quote: Originally Posted by Sharklet_321
Needless to say it’s doing well.
Asturias56 replies
You have to remember that its by charging a fortune for flights when they can it keep the route open in the (many) quiet days with less than a full 'plane.

The EZY BOH (and SOU) - GVA only really operates as a SKI flight during the winter months (Very short flying season and sees high prices on some of the few days a week it goes, plus Xmas/NY & half term)
Historically SKI flights were always on weekends only - but now with a say FRI and a MON added for skiers to go for long weekends.

EZY have upped their BOH-GVA frequency to 4 or 5 flights a week so it must be doing very well.

Le Tirer
19th Jan 2020, 08:59
EZY have upped their BOH-GVA frequency to 4 or 5 flights a week so it must be doing very well.
It's actually 6 flights a week - Mon, Thu, Fri, Sat x2, Sun

LT

MARKEYD
7th Feb 2020, 16:28
Ryanair are back to operating most of the Palma flights this summer

Lauda air are now operating the 2nd Palma flight on a Thursday and a Sunday flight

Confirmed that Freebird A 320 will operate the flights to AYT and DLM on a Wed and Thu on behalf of TUI holidays

Le Tirer
10th Feb 2020, 15:26
Finally the December CAA statistics have been released for Bournemouth.

There was a 27% increase over December 2018 to 44,293 giving an annual total of 803,307. This is the first year since 2009 that they have broken the 800,000 mark and 19% up on 2018. Hopefully similar growth again next year.

LT

Sharklet_321
10th Feb 2020, 19:31
Bournemouth-Kraków grew by 23% with over 3,800 pax. Faro too. I believe there were additional flights over the Christmas period to these destinations in particular.

Given the additional flights in 2020, we could see around 825,000-830,000 annual pax this year.

[Edited as I didn’t realise Le Tirer had beat me to it with the update on Dec pax]

shamrock7seal
22nd Feb 2020, 18:27
EasyJet seem to have operated double daily services to Geneva From Bournemouth over the half term and into the ‘shoulders’. Is this unique to BOH or across the GVA network?

MARKEYD
22nd Feb 2020, 19:01
Not quite sure where you have got that info from apart from a tech glitch on FR 24 ?

Usual Easy jet schedule of 6 flights a week

MARKEYD
28th Feb 2020, 16:56
Ryanair have loaded their winter schedule from BOH into the system but not yet on sale for 2020 / 21

Keeping the based aircraft again for the winter and its pretty much the same as this winter with the only flight missing is LPA . It was operated by the BOH based aircraft on a Sat this year so remains to be seen if it will be added again .

( Exeter also sees the same schedule of ALC and AGP twice a week but MLA has yet to be added )

Lauda air are now operating only 2 flights on behalf of Ryanair this summer on the A320 on a Sun and the second flight on a Thu

Sharklet_321
5th Mar 2020, 06:20
For the first time in a long time there are more flights (or is it passengers?) from BOH than there are from SOU

AirportPlanner1
5th Mar 2020, 06:45
For the first time in a long time there are more flights from BOH than there are from SOU

Is that important? Perhaps leave time for the body to cool...

Wycombe
5th Mar 2020, 06:55
For the first time in a long time there are more flights from BOH than there are from SOU

Well it didn't take long for the entirely inappropriate gloating to commence :-(

PDXCWL45
5th Mar 2020, 06:56
Wrong. There should be 13 departures from SOU 7 from BOH.

Sharklet_321
5th Mar 2020, 07:34
Apologies - my point is not to gloat!

It's more the irony of the situation that i'm focusing on. I don't know how the ground handlers at those airports will cope with the sudden drop in pax number.

Knife-Edge
5th Mar 2020, 07:41
He perhaps should have said more ‘passengers’.

Sad day for the region and the staff of FlyBe but there is demand and so I am sure that there will backfill at SOU by the smaller regionals. I think that there also is the potential for either Ryanair or EasyJet to take up the Scottish (and perhaps Manchester) routes. Easy could select either BOH or SOU. If Ryanair that would have to be BOH.

yeo valley
5th Mar 2020, 09:02
Is that important? Perhaps leave time for the body to cool...
I must agree the comment made by sharklet 321 is not sensative with Flybe staff will be looking for jobs. In this situation who cares which airport handles more pax than another one. Times like this must be to the Flybe staff that are about to be put out of work.All the best to the Flybe staff. Thoughts are with you all.

Sharklet_321
5th Mar 2020, 15:38
Ryanair just stated on national TV that they will never go into SOU as their aircraft are too big for the airport

rog747
5th Mar 2020, 16:15
Ryanair just stated on national TV that they will never go into SOU as their aircraft are too big for the airport

I posted that on the SOU page lol

MARKEYD
18th Mar 2020, 10:04
Easy jet have put on sale a month early there Geneva service for 2020/21

Good news is that it stays the same as this year with 6 flights a week with 2 flights operating again on a Saturday all to be operated by A320

TUI as expected have cancelled all there services until mid April at the moment . Flights are operating just inbound bringing back passengers to BOH

Captain Cargo
21st Mar 2020, 13:24
Great news. I suggested Krakow as a possible destination a couple of years ago and it was dismissed at the time by others. Nice to be proven right.

A twice a week winter Murcia (RMU) on a W basis by the Alicante originator would offer at least a 95% load factor.

MARKEYD
21st Mar 2020, 13:34
Sorry what are you talking about ?

Dropoffcharge
23rd Mar 2020, 13:39
5x BA aircraft now at BOH for storage by the looks of it, with more on the way?? This could prove to be a great move by the management in the current situation, extra parking fees and some GA will undoubtedly help the bank balance.

Alex321
23rd Mar 2020, 15:52
5x BA aircraft now at BOH for storage by the looks of it, with more on the way?? This could prove to be a great move by the management in the current situation, extra parking fees and some GA will undoubtedly help the bank balance.

11 arriving today and a further 10 tomorrow as things stand.

davidjohnson6
23rd Mar 2020, 16:04
I'm guessing that BOH offered a very reasonable price to BA for long term parking if they are to store 21 aircraft

dixi188
23rd Mar 2020, 16:27
Shades of the 1970s when Hurn used to fill up with diversions.

Dropoffcharge
23rd Mar 2020, 16:45
I'm guessing that BOH offered a very reasonable price to BA for long term parking if they are to store 21 aircraft
Some sensible business decisions by RCA, which could make a big difference to the airports survival long term, making use of the vast underutilised space they have seems a no brainer.

Buster the Bear
24th Mar 2020, 01:22
I was told, no way of confirming, that the charge is £250 per airframe per day.

Flitefone
24th Mar 2020, 08:02
Shades of the 1970s when Hurn used to fill up with diversions.

One of those distant days saw 28 arrive, Tridents, 1-11s and Comets, a few years later SAS MD80s and A300s appeared too..

Jetscream 32
24th Mar 2020, 09:37
I was told, no way of confirming, that the charge is £250 per airframe per day.
Bit different to the £150 a week I was paying for the L-1011 a few years back....

dixi188
24th Mar 2020, 11:41
One of those distant days saw 28 arrive, Tridents, 1-11s and Comets, a few years later SAS MD80s and A300s appeared too..
Remember going to work one morning and counting 35 diversions. No more space to park aircraft.
Disused runway and 17/35 full, north side taxiways full, some on BAC site and a Vanguard by the tower blocking that taxiway.
All of Courtlines 1-11s, Lufthansa 727s and 737s, Dan-Air comets, TMAC CL-44, Tridents, Viscounts, Vanguard, Alitalia DC-9.
Happy days.

Dropoffcharge
24th Mar 2020, 13:23
6 more BA flights due to arrive this afternoon. Arrival times: 1322, 1422, 1514, 1559, 1644 and 1729.
Also a couple of Virgin A340's by the looks of it.

EXEL1966
24th Mar 2020, 20:36
3 x Virgin A340-600s should have arrived from PIK

and BA are sending 40 a/c to BOH. More to arrive in the next 2 days.

Sharklet_321
25th Mar 2020, 21:50
BOH saw some impressive growth in Jan’20 up 22% on Jan’19 with over 43,500 pax during the month. Year to date figure stands at over 811,000.

Significant growth on Faro, Kraków and Las Palmas. Geneva was up 11%. Strong growth on Malta & Barbados.

Oddly, some declines seen on Spain (ALC & AGP) and Canaries (TFS & ACE)

shamrock7seal
26th Mar 2020, 11:17
Bournemouth will probably only see 250,000 or 350,000 this year assuming flights resume in July.

Travel will undoubtedly come back but it's probably reset aviation by around 15 years or more. Who knows if a full recovery will be seen in 2021.

Captain Cargo
26th Mar 2020, 11:25
The payloads of Ryanair to Krakow.

Sharklet_321
28th Mar 2020, 19:16
Final month before the COVID-19 distortion:

February 2020 saw a 23.6% rise to 42,354 pax or 818,920 year to date (20.1% increase on year before)

Biggest growth seen on Las Palmas up 129%, but big gains on Faro, Malta, Alicante, Malaga and Geneva. Dublin did well as did Krakow but Prague seemed to struggle a little with only 2,453 pax. Decline of 3% seen on Tenerife. Huge decline seen on Paphos as Ryanair moved to summer seasonal only.

Such a shame that this positive growth story has now been stopped dead in its tracks by COVID-19 but everyone is in the same boat. Will be interesting to see how much of it comes back after the crisis is over. I believe that leisure travel will come back in a big way but UK domestic may struggle.

stewyb
28th Mar 2020, 19:51
Final month before the COVID-19 distortion:

February 2020 saw a 23.6% rise to 42,354 pax or 818,920 year to date (20.1% increase on year before)

Biggest growth seen on Las Palmas up 129%, but big gains on Faro, Malta, Alicante, Malaga and Geneva. Dublin did well as did Krakow but Prague seemed to struggle a little with only 2,453 pax. Decline of 3% seen on Tenerife. Huge decline seen on Paphos as Ryanair moved to summer seasonal only.

Such a shame that this positive growth story has now been stopped dead in its tracks by COVID-19 but everyone is in the same boat. Will be interesting to see how much of it comes back after the crisis is over. I believe that leisure travel will come back in a big way but UK domestic may struggle.

why will UK domestic struggle, people and businesses still need to travel nationwide!

The Nutts Mutts
28th Mar 2020, 20:32
why will UK domestic struggle, people and businesses still need to travel nationwide!
You know why Stewy- because that's what SOU does.
Even in this time of global crisis people still seem unable to resist trying to get a dig in at their local rival.

stewyb
29th Mar 2020, 12:06
[QUOTE=The Nutts Mutts;10731373]You know why Stewy- because that's what SOU does.
Even in this time of global crisis people still seem unable to resist trying to get a dig in at their local rival.[/QUOTE

Rivals to some maybe but let’s not forget these are ridiculously tough times for all and one thing is for certain, I believe both south coast airports will survive this and come back stronger in the months ahead!

Wycombe
29th Mar 2020, 14:32
I believe both south coast airports will survive this and come back stronger in the months ahead!

Really! That seems a somewhat diluded view.

BOH will get it's (mainly) holiday/owners abroad destinations back with RYR and TOM
SOU will get some of it's trunk routes back with lower frequencies on (mainly) smaller aircraft
(based upon what we have seen so far before CV-19 took hold)

I think that's the reality we are facing, which I don't see as coming back stronger.

BAladdy
30th Mar 2020, 00:31
5 BA 747’s due to be flown from LHR for storage on 31st March. The aircraft planned to be stored at BOH are:

G-BNLY (Landor Livery)
G-BYGF
G-CIVC (Oneworld Titles)
G-CIVU
G-CIVW

LTNman
30th Mar 2020, 04:53
Bournemouth will probably only see 250,000 or 350,000 this year assuming flights resume in July.

Travel will undoubtedly come back but it's probably reset aviation by around 15 years or more. Who knows if a full recovery will be seen in 2021.

Predictions of recovery take no account of the fact that most people will come out of this crisis financially poorer. When people are poorer the first thing to go are holidays. I am only one week into this and I have already taken a massive financial hit. Remaining prepaid holidays will be taken for this year if allowed but next year I will be curbing my travel plans to save money and will continue to do so in the following years I fear.

As Bournemouth is almost a pure leisure airport it relies on discretionary spending.

easyflyer83
30th Mar 2020, 06:19
I’m not saying this time round will be the same but during the last downturn there was strong evidence that people actually ring fences money for an holiday and that the main holiday was increasingly being seen as more of a necessity as opposed to a luxury.

kcockayne
30th Mar 2020, 09:08
I’m not saying this time round will be the same but during the last downturn there was strong evidence that people actually ring fences money for an holiday and that the main holiday was increasingly being seen as more of a necessity as opposed to a luxury.
But, this time round is totally unprecedented. Who can have even an inkling of what will happen ? Whatever happens, we will be faced with changes of cataclysmic effect !

ATNotts
30th Mar 2020, 09:50

Totally off aviation, but you may not know that personal finance experts recommend that people have a savings cushion of three months in case something unexpected would happen. The reality is that most people don't have three weeks of cushion. Presently much of the population is going to wind up either on furlough, with just 80% of their income paid by the government, and another tranche will be working but with their income drastically reduced. The only groups that are likely to be unaffected and have the luxury of being able to stash some cash for a holiday are those on final salary pension schemes, or decent annuities, of those working in the public and vital industry sectors.

People aren't going to have the luxury of taking a (foreign) holiday after 6 months of this, and I really can't see it lasting just the three. Optimists really need to take a reality check!.

I can see the commercial aviation industry virtually going back to "ground zero", and the clock being completely reset, with a myriad of new carriers and tour operators rising up, run by senior managers, each in small market segments as we had in the 1960s and 1970, and that they will bit by bit be consolidated in larger, though perhaps not global players. I say this because after this crisis has run it's course there will be far more urgent calls upon government support than supporting leisure businesses; especially after they have been splashing the cash keeping people's heads above water during the crisis.

Gurnard
30th Mar 2020, 11:25
Totally off aviation, but you may not know that personal finance experts recommend that people have a savings cushion of three months in case something unexpected would happen. The reality is that most people don't have three weeks of cushion. Presently much of the population is going to wind up either on furlough, with just 80% of their income paid by the government, and another tranche will be working but with their income drastically reduced. The only groups that are likely to be unaffected and have the luxury of being able to stash some cash for a holiday are those on final salary pension schemes, or decent annuities, of those working in the public and vital industry sectors.

People aren't going to have the luxury of taking a (foreign) holiday after 6 months of this, and I really can't see it lasting just the three. Optimists really need to take a reality check!.

I can see the commercial aviation industry virtually going back to "ground zero", and the clock being completely reset, with a myriad of new carriers and tour operators rising up, run by senior managers, each in small market segments as we had in the 1960s and 1970, and that they will bit by bit be consolidated in larger, though perhaps not global players. I say this because after this crisis has run it's course there will be far more urgent calls upon government support than supporting leisure businesses; especially after they have been splashing the cash keeping people's heads above water during the crisis.

Eminently sensible comment relating to more than just BOH. Could you possibly post it on Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel?

davidjohnson6
31st Mar 2020, 10:18
I know Bournemouth and the surrounding area tends to be fairly peaceful. However there seem to be a large number of aircraft being stored at BOH, in a location rather close to a public road. Does BOH have sufficient security surveillance to ensure people don't try something late at night ?

shamrock7seal
31st Mar 2020, 10:42
Police and airport security are patrolling the area 24/7 and will now ask people to move on if hanging around.

CCTV would be a good addition though along that fencing just in case.

31st Mar 2020, 11:14
Third BA B747 airborne Heathrow for Bournemouth..(VC)

31st Mar 2020, 13:36
Next BA B747 taxying Heathrow for Bournemouth. BAW9157 showing as G-CIVP on FR24.

davidjohnson6
31st Mar 2020, 13:54
So what's the approx value of aircraft that BA are storing or are about to store at BOH ? Has it gone over £1bn yet ? You'd think that somebody would want stronger security than just a wire fence and a few coppers asking people to move along please...

AndrewH52
31st Mar 2020, 14:36
I’m puzzled that you seem to think people are going to be making a beeline for BOH with a view to either damaging or pilfering from the aircraft stored there?

ericlday
31st Mar 2020, 14:43
Yeah....come on lads lets take one for a spin !!!! Don't somehow think so......

SWBKCB
31st Mar 2020, 14:49
So what's the approx value of aircraft that BA are storing or are about to store at BOH ?

A damn site less than it was a month ago...

I'm a bit puzzled about the supposed vulnerability of BOH as opposed to lots of other places.

31st Mar 2020, 15:02
BAW9157 showing as G-CIVP B747 should be arriving 1615 roughly. WRONG

31st Mar 2020, 15:04
Damned predictive text!! BAW9158 G-CIVW corrected.

LTNman
1st Apr 2020, 12:34
BA 747’s landing at Bournemouth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWdvoLFTzT8&feature=youtu.be

Knife-Edge
3rd Apr 2020, 19:40
Drone footage of BA fleet storage at Bournemouth Airport:

https://youtu.be/qgPw1jWmdE4

racedo
4th Apr 2020, 09:54
I’m puzzled that you seem to think people are going to be making a beeline for BOH with a view to either damaging or pilfering from the aircraft stored there?

My concern is not of pilfering, lets face it taking an engine home in back seat of a Corsa will be noticed, even by Hampshire Constabulary.

it is more along the lines of people wishing to do something that creates permanent damage to generate news for groups in Mid East.

dixi188
4th Apr 2020, 10:01
Who is taking drone video in the no fly zone?

DaveReidUK
4th Apr 2020, 10:35

Shot with permission, as the video preamble makes clear.

TCAS FAN
4th Apr 2020, 10:49

Not a no fly zone, its a Flight Restriction Zone (FRZ).

Assuming that you are complying with the current "stay home" policy, here is some light reading to help keep the boredom at bay;

https://dronesafe.uk/restrictions/

ATNotts
4th Apr 2020, 12:21
Window blinds are closed on all passenger and flight deck windows. Is this to avoid fading of the furnishings and interior from sunlight?

BOHEuropean
4th Apr 2020, 22:10
I believe it's designed to prevent the cabin temperature getting too high from the sun shining through all day; the heat isn't good for the cabin. Just a small example; I was once on an aircraft that had come out of storage and every sticker on all of the cupboards (for example showing where all the equipment was stowed) were pealing and falling off, as the heat effects the adhesive so it required new stickers throughout the entire cabin.

Skipness One Foxtrot
5th Apr 2020, 03:56
So what's the approx value of aircraft that BA are storing or are about to store at BOH ? Has it gone over £1bn yet ? You'd think that somebody would want stronger security than just a wire fence and a few coppers asking people to move along please...
What a very strange agenda. Cardiff is much the same and BAMG haven’t had a widebody torched just yet.

EXEL1966
5th Apr 2020, 12:07
Window blinds are closed on all passenger and flight deck windows. Is this to avoid fading of the furnishings and interior from sunlight?

Standard practice for any aircraft. Even aircraft parked for a day or two will be treated this way in warmer climates and cockpit shields at all times anytime of the year.

Sunlight (even in winter) can cause extensive screen damage to a glass cockpit as well as cause condensation to build up which could lead to a multitude of problems or even cause fires due reflection from the surfaces.
Then there's protection to maintain value, a sun scorched faded interior will devalue an aircraft massively.

Mr A Tis
5th Apr 2020, 13:29
Tricky for Ryanair aircraft then, I understand they don't have window blinds.

pamann
5th Apr 2020, 13:54
Tricky for Ryanair aircraft then, I understand they don't have window blinds.

All the Ryanair flights that I’ve been on have including the new ‘Sky’ interior aircraft.

ROC10
5th Apr 2020, 15:44
Isn't it some (possibly many) of Jet2's older aircraft that don't have window blinds?

MARKEYD
5th Apr 2020, 18:58
Think this conversation needs to move on from possible terrorism from a mesh fence to aircraft window blinds now !!

yeo valley
5th Apr 2020, 19:16
Think this conversation needs to move on from possible terrorism from a mesh fence to aircraft window blinds now !!
I agree what you say. Perhaps put all energy into finding a cure for this cornavirus,rather than window blinds.

ATNotts
6th Apr 2020, 07:19
I agree what you say. Perhaps put all energy into finding a cure for this cornavirus,rather than window blinds.

Well yes, I imagine that finding a cure comes slightly ahead of which BA aircraft are parked where, and when a daily service will start between Bournemouth and New York too!! It is curious how threads shift tack simply as a result of a question (which I asked) simply because I sincerely didn't know. Thanks to those who enlightened me.

MARKEYD
11th Apr 2020, 14:13
TUI have dropped the re introduction of the Sharm el Sheik flight this winter on a Saturday , however an extra flight on Saturday to Tenerife continues , taking the service to 3 a week and Ryanair 1 flight a week

TUI have also dropped the extra services to DLM and AYT operated by Freebird this summer , just once a week operated by based TUI. aircraft now , no surprise at all

Things are going to take a heck of a long time to get back to normal

MARKEYD
25th Apr 2020, 10:20
Crystal ski have added Innsbruck back on to the list of departures for winter skiing ( tentatively i might add )

Flights are operated by the based TUI B 738 on a Saturday am before operating later now to TFS which is also an extra flight added for the winter

Sharklet_321
25th Apr 2020, 12:06
It's very encouraging to hear about Innsbruck for the winter 20/21 season. I am still hopeful - at this stage - that summer 21 will be similar to summer 20 prior to Coronavirus. This could change the longer it goes on, and i'm speaking specifically about BOH.

However, the summer 20 season is going to be pretty much a write off I think. I would be very surprised if any flying on any big scale returns before October - other than those VFR routes like Krakow and Dublin, possibly Alicante.

Flitefone
27th Apr 2020, 06:34
You tube image of the Former Virgin aircraft, now 9H-EAL with Thank you NHS titles departing BOH direct to Tianjin China yesterday. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MQJ0ClYtEtA

FF

Cloud1
27th Apr 2020, 20:49
You tube image of the Former Virgin aircraft, now 9H-EAL with Thank you NHS titles departing BOH direct to Tianjin China yesterday. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MQJ0ClYtEtA

FF

Coincidence I know but how fitting that the registration should end EAL - that being the previous name of European Air Charter who were based I believe in BOH. Just a pointless observation on my part.

LeeWes
28th Apr 2020, 06:24
Coincidence I know but how fitting that the registration should end EAL - that being the previous name of European Air Charter who were based I believe in BOH. Just a pointless observation on my part.
9HEAL A346. Is on it way back from ZBTJ

Gurnard
28th Apr 2020, 07:38
Not so pointless. European Aviation/European Skybus continues at BOH although the charter airline folded late in 2008. Aircraft are bought and sold on - older 737s and A340s.
Happy memories of European Aviation - EAL and EAC. Great shame the airline folded.

Dropoffcharge
22nd May 2020, 15:54
European Aviation/European Skybus continues at BOH
They seem to be doing alot with there A340 fleet atm, the 2x NHS livery A/C are back and forth with PPE on a weekly basis. BOH in general is quite a busy place some days, is a wide mix of aircraft using the airfield, all income which hopefully helps towards a good recovery once we see the back of covid.

Sharklet_321
22nd May 2020, 16:28
Ryanair looks like it has reduced its flying on BOH routes for the S20 period.

Frequency is now as follows:

Palma 4 weekly to Oct
Alicante 2 weekly, 3 in August to March 21
Girona 2 weekly to Oct
Malaga 3 weekly, 4 in August to October
Murcia 2 weekly, 3 in August to October
Tenerife 1 weekly
Dublin 2 weekly, 4 in August, back down to 2 for the rest of the S20 and then 4 again for W20/21
Malta 1 weekly, 2 in Aug onwards on to March 2021
Krakow 2 weekly
Faro 2 weekly, 3 weekly in Aug onwards, back down to 2 for W20/21
Prague 2 weekly
Paphos 1 weekly

MARKEYD
22nd May 2020, 18:40
It was always going to be a reduced schedule given the circumstances , in fact it’s a far better offering than from most other UK airports

Going into winter 20/21 it’s the same frequency as last winter but again all can change at any time, will have to see how this plays out as regards Ryanair moving it’s 1 aircraft out from BOH as they are still in consultations around the UK to closing bases

shamrock7seal
22nd May 2020, 19:07
If they close the base there is still considerable w-pattern flying to keep BOH above water.

MaRKEYD do we know what TUI’s intention is for the remaining summer season at BOH?

shamrock7seal
29th May 2020, 08:20
Apparently BA are rotating some of their stored fleet with the active fleet. Expect another 744 to fly down to BOH soon.

Skipness One Foxtrot
29th May 2020, 09:08
I think one has flown in the last month so “active” is pushing it. Heavy flying is restricted to Boeing twins and a single A350 flight at the moment. Possibly scheduled maintenance?

dixi188
30th May 2020, 12:18
The BEA liveried A319 landed this morning, presumably for storage.

Gurnard
30th May 2020, 12:43
The BEA liveried A319 landed this morning, presumably for storage.
Looks like a swap with G-EUPU going the other way.

Sharklet_321
1st Jun 2020, 13:04
Bournemouth handled 22,876 pax in March 2020 down 42%. Still managing to maintain a year to date figure of 802,377 in March 2020 which was a surprise.

Flitefone
6th Jun 2020, 09:34
Interesting overview of the PPE operation here: https://www.thetraveltrunk.net/european-aviation-covid19-ppe-supplies/

apparently the fleet increasing to 5 A340-600 dedicated aircraft, and expected to continue to the end of the year...

FF

poolebob
17th Jun 2020, 09:37
Interesting that Paul Stoddart speaks as though the A340 are operated by them and are their aircraft. Whilst indeed they are ex Virgin A340s, they are registered in Malta and operated by Maleth Aero

wanna
17th Jun 2020, 10:36
Interesting that Paul Stoddart speaks as though the A340 are operated by them and are their aircraft. Whilst indeed they are ex Virgin A340s, they are registered in Malta and operated by Maleth Aero

Operated by Maleth Aero on behalf of European? Like many companies using ACMI? Its probably a complicated way that European could step up so fast to provide the contract cover, Maleth already had a A340 on their AOC so adding further examples is straight forward, Maleth are also an ACMI specialist. Aircraft have to be registered where the AOC is based, hence the Malta regs, as Maleth have a Malta AOC... although I had always thought Maleth was in fact a British company using a Malta subsidiary for AOC purposes. Complicated, but easy?!

dixi188
17th Jun 2020, 11:14
All BA 747s now gone.

Gurnard
17th Jun 2020, 11:34
Operated by Maleth Aero on behalf of European? Like many companies using ACMI? Its probably a complicated way that European could step up so fast to provide the contract cover, Maleth already had a A340 on their AOC so adding further examples is straight forward, Maleth are also an ACMI specialist. Aircraft have to be registered where the AOC is based, hence the Malta regs, as Maleth have a Malta AOC... although I had always thought Maleth was in fact a British company using a Malta subsidiary for AOC purposes. Complicated, but easy?!
Note that Maleth's earlier A340 is 9H-PGS (=Paul G. Stoddart). They also had 9H-PSI (=Paul Stoddart 1) so European and Maleth are somehow connected.

Flitefone
18th Jun 2020, 05:49
While UK airports are still subject to a devastating loss of passenger traffic, dedicated cargo flights have increased. Only a handful of airports including EMA & SEN are likely to see more freight this year than has been usual. Its looking like one airport, Bournemouth, will break all freight records compared to its past performance because of the PPE flights, if these continue as currently planned, the record should be broken in the coming 2-3 weeks.

Who’d have predicted that!! I’m still stunned by the sight of the stored BA fleet at BOH, which even though diminished, is still substantial.

Crazy times

FF

yeo valley
18th Jun 2020, 17:09
The 747 arcraft went to CWL for storage.

adfly
18th Jun 2020, 22:31
Berlin Brandenburg is appearing in the drop down menu on the easyJet app when you select Bournemouth as a departure airport. Same thing is happening for Southampton (please see my post on that thread for more details). Could be interesting to watch...

mrshubigbus
21st Jun 2020, 15:34
TUI announces restart from 11th July but from only three UK airports and currently to only eight destinations!

Quote:- "Flights will be available from Gatwick, Manchester and Birmingham, with the company planning to fly from a further two airports by the end of July, as well as increasing the number of destinations offered to 19".

The "restart" plot thickens.

It's interesting that they give no idea when flights will resume from Bournemouth or many other regional airports.
Therefore that suggests to me that BOH pax booked on any summer flights currently have no aircraft to fly them anywhere!!!
This sounds like an interesting development just when you thought that some kind of normal service might resume shortly!

rog747
22nd Jun 2020, 06:58
Planning to operate, and ''if''....
mrshubigbus-
All very nice of course - and I see that the TUI Airlines thread has gone into meltdown with pontificates galore from our esteemed armchair CEO's but sorry no (that means no) package holidays will operate from anywhere until HM Govt's FCO travel advisory is removed...Wake me up when that gets lifted.

A poster on the TUI thread did state that when a charter aircraft arrives at say Palma with upwards of 200 pax on board, then parks on a remote stand so needs coaches to get to the the terminal, then the baggage claim scrum in the terminal - Do we really think that social distancing here will be at the forefront...Yes I can really see that.

MARKEYD
23rd Jun 2020, 09:54
Latest update

TUI

Now planning to only operate for the rest of the season to the following destinations, a full winter programme starts in Nov
Palma on Tue/ Sat
Lanzarote Thu
Corfu Fri
Dalaman Sun
Antayla Sat

Ryanair

Started today to Malaga and gradually building up to a small operation for the rest of the summer to 12 destinations
The winter schedule has been amended slightly with Malta just 1 service a week and Las Palmas cancelled . The summer 2021 is slowly being added now . Looks like BOH has escaped quite well given the scale of some cut backs with TUI and Ryanair at other UK airports but obviously things are still very fluid

CLEME1
8th Aug 2020, 11:01
Has nothing happened at Bournemouth since the last post in June was posted very strange.

Alteagod
8th Aug 2020, 12:55
The Beaches are full. Some pensioners probably passed away. Property prices I am sure went up. Someone probably won a best shed or Garden bloom competition. Other than that im sure Bournemouth is just ticking along like us all dealing with Covid19.

Flitefone
8th Aug 2020, 13:30
According to the boss of European, during a FlightGlobal Webinar on Cargo last week, among other things, the four former Virgin A340 will in addition to theIr established PPE flights to China and Malaysia, shortly begin regular cargo flights to the USA and Ghana. Https://www.flightglobal.com/on-demand-webinars/freight-expectations-how-air-cargo-can-adapt-to-a-new-reality/139159.article (https://www.flightglobal.com/on-demand-webinars/freight-expectations-how-air-cargo-can-adapt-to-a-new-reality/139159.article)

Expect to see the European B737 freighters also used in a feeder role at some point.

https://airwaysmag.com/interview/the-nhs-airbus-a340-interview-european-aviation-group/

All the 40 or so BOH stored BA fleet has also now returned to BA bases.

...and yes the entire area is flooded with tourists, significantly more than a normal summer.

FF

Gurnard
8th Aug 2020, 13:30
The Beaches are full. Some pensioners probably passed away. Property prices I am sure went up. Someone probably won a best shed or Garden bloom competition. Other than that im sure Bournemouth is just ticking along like us all dealing with Covid19.
Not forgetting the Maleth (ex Virgin) A340s almost daily with PPE supplies from China - but this is "the new normal". ;)

Buster the Bear
12th Aug 2020, 11:42
Ryanair up winter Tenerife to twice weekly.

MARKEYD
12th Aug 2020, 20:18
Good to see the extra Tenerife flight added using the based aircraft , would appear BOH has escaped any cuts at the moment , 4 UK bases were in doubt with Ryanair for the winter

Looks like Prague has gone off sale for the winter though , I guess most want to head for some winter sun

MARKEYD
19th Aug 2020, 09:38
Easy jet have dropped the Sunday service to Geneva leaving 5 flights a week for the season

Looking at other bases and flights to GVA it looks quite a cull they have had so hopefully between SOU and BOH they have fared somewhat better

richardwpprn
25th Aug 2020, 15:33
Has a feasibility study ever been carried out to consider connecting the airport terminal to the main railway line with a light rail or maglev style infrastructure?

MARKEYD
25th Aug 2020, 19:39
Not being rude but I am guessing you have come late to the party re BOH and public transport conversation’s over the years on this thread

In answer to your question is a big “ NO “ it’s been discussed and it’s not going to happen

BOH can’t even get a bus service that’s regular or reliable I am afraid
Sorry .....

dixi188
28th Aug 2020, 14:56
Has a feasibility study ever been carried out to consider connecting the airport terminal to the main railway line with a light rail or maglev style infrastructure?
There used to be a railway station at Hurn (now the Avon Causway pub), but unfortunately it closed in 1935 about 7 years before the airfield was built.

shamrock7seal
12th Sep 2020, 13:09
BOH handled 16,280 pax in July 2020. Obviously a massive fall from 95,320 the year prior.

Other airports handled much fewer than BOH including CWL at just 3,506 pax and SOU with only 7,594. EXT handled 2,150 for the month. Probably a reflection of the double hit caused by Flybe's collapse. Nonetheless a slight silver lining to the clouds for BOH.

MARKEYD
14th Sep 2020, 15:32
Ryanair are releasing their Summer 21 schedule slowly
At the moment everything is pre Covid 2020 , basically nothing has changed except the Dublin flights are only 2 a week as opposed to 4 and Prague is back on sale having moved to a summer only destination

TUI seem to be drip feeding there flights back for next summer but 7 destinations remain off sale

Tenerife
Dalaman
Antalya
Crete
Skiathos
Ibiza
Lanzarote ( only 1 flt at the moment)

There are gaps in the schedule but it looks like there is no 2nd aircraft from Fri - Sun
The same is with Exeter no 2nd aircraft Mon - Thu

Hopefully things will improve but everything is very fluid at the moment

MARKEYD
25th Sep 2020, 11:10
At the moment TUI seem to be having a bit of a cull at BOH and EXT with summer 2021
Ibiza
Crete
Tenerife
Skiathos
Dalaman
Lanzarote
Las Palmas
These are all off sale with Antalya going 2 x week at the expense of some other routes . All the flights have been brought in house with TUI , but no second aircraft base at the moment

rog747
1st Oct 2020, 17:53
More bad news - Turkey has just been added to the No-Go on your Hols list...
Guess TUI's DLM & AYT will get canned for OCT>?

That would leave just one TUI holiday flight a week to CFU... That's not gonna butter many crumpets is it.

I've never known anything like it in our Industry

Losing Turkey flights would also apply to TUI's Ops out of EXT and BRS in our SW area
FYI MARKEYD

ROC10
1st Oct 2020, 22:40
At this rate, the likes of TUI will have practically no flights for at least the first part of W20, maybe a handful of weekly departures from LGW/MAN. I can’t really think of what winter flights are going to be able to go ahead...

Edit: for now Cyprus seems to be okay but that’s about it, and it often isn’t available for the whole of winter outside of the big bases anyway.

tibbs87
1st Oct 2020, 23:49
It's a shame they haven't done more alternative destinations where covid has not been so prevalent, like Cape Verde destinations (Boa Vista & Sal), which are hot year round..

inOban
2nd Oct 2020, 00:00
I'm sure Cape Verde is also under quarantine because its infection rate is at least 50% higher than the uk

zantopst
2nd Oct 2020, 05:52
Can confirm Cape Verde is a no go. Was booked with TUI from Gatwick for late Jan 2021 and that has already been cancelled and refunded!

Nakata77
13th Oct 2020, 18:10
Interestingly BOH handled more passengers in August 2020 than SOU and EXT combined. 22,309 were processed through the terminal.

Nakata77
13th Oct 2020, 18:11
Interestingly, BOH handled more passengers in August 2020 than SOU and EXT combined. 22,309 pax were processed through the terminal.

MARKEYD
16th Oct 2020, 10:07
Bournemouth may well have handled more passengers in August than SOU or EXT but it will be short lived moving into winter

Unfortunately Ryanair have cut quite a few more flights leaving just a few services a week now

Flights suspended until March are

Malta
Prague
Dublin
Tenerife back down to 1 x week ( new Monday flt canx )

Flights still operating are

ALC x 2
AGP x 2
FAO x 2
KRK x 2
TFS. x 1

TUI are scheduling the usual TFS , ACE and LPA and PFO , PMI and AYT re start in March
Looking at next summer quite a big reduction at the moment with the following all off sale

IBZ , HER , TFS , LPA , DLM and JSI

To be expected and not surprising , BOH has probably fared a bit better than some airports this winter but still a big step back

shamrock7seal
16th Oct 2020, 22:35
European Cargo are rumoured to be launching a series of flights from BOH for Amazon with A340-600's, carrying mail and light weight packaging. Yesterday saw the launch of a flight from BOH to JFK rumoured to be part of the series. There are now 7 based A340-600's at BOH.

Will be interesting to watch this development.

yeo valley
17th Oct 2020, 04:51
Are all the a340 aircraft ex Virgin or they got some from else where.

Flitefone
17th Oct 2020, 05:29
Are all the a340 aircraft ex Virgin or they got some from else where.

European own 19 A340 according to their boss Paul Stoddart in media interviews over the summer. In addition to the former Virgin aircraft, they acquired the ten A346 previously operated by Etihad a couple of years ago. European’s principle business has been aircraft spares for about 30 years.

There are currently 7 Operational A346 at BOH, of which 5 are ex VS and 2 ex EY.

European will operate ‘about 10’ aircraft on cargo charters, PPE & Package work using the Maleth Aero AOC. It looks as though this will be 7 A346 & 3 B733, using the European Cargo brand. A Single 733F is currently operating a 5 per week BOH-BFS service.

Stoddart was expecting US and Africa work for the 346 when interviewed back in the summer. Rumoured that DHL/Amazon are the customer for the US.

One of several sources here: https://www.aircargonews.net/freighters-world/european-aviation-responds-to-pandemic-with-plans-for-a340-cargo-fleet/

FF

Alteagod
17th Oct 2020, 07:36
Ah I see, I wondered what that was on FR24 from BOH to BFS

LeeWes
17th Oct 2020, 07:40
9H-PPE. A346. DUE BACK FROM JFK AT 1900pm

SKOJB
17th Oct 2020, 08:29
Maybe an increased focus on cargo use at the airport with passenger traffic concentrated at SOU with its runway extension and better public transport links!

Dropoffcharge
17th Oct 2020, 22:18
Maybe an increased focus on cargo use at the airport with passenger traffic concentrated at SOU with its runway extension and better public transport links!

SOU doesn't even have its runway extension, let's see if it actually happens first.

shamrock7seal
18th Oct 2020, 09:33
Both airports in this part of the country are pretty cr*p to be honest. The reason both are pretty terrible is cos they are in such close proximity! We don't need two airports within 30 miles of each other. Please - one or the other needs to be developed to its maximum potential.

SWBKCB
18th Oct 2020, 09:38
And how is that going to happen?

Mr A Tis
18th Oct 2020, 10:46
Both airports in this part of the country are pretty cr*p to be honest. The reason both are pretty terrible is cos they are in such close proximity! We don't need two airports within 30 miles of each other. Please - one or the other needs to be developed to its maximum potential.

You could make the same argument re Liverpool vs Manchester, or East Midlands vs Birmingham.

There are too many airports close together in the UK. However, poor ground public transport to many airports don't make simplification easy. Too much reliance on milking pax on car parking charges.

I'd prefer Bournemouth's access to south coast over Southampton but BOH ground transportation links are non existent.

Dropoffcharge
18th Oct 2020, 10:46
And how is that going to happen?

Agreed, with great difficulty, SOU needs BOH's space, runway length and operational facilities, BOH needs SOU's transport links and its catchment.

Rivet Joint
18th Oct 2020, 11:46
Agreed, with great difficulty, SOU needs BOH's space, runway length and operational facilities, BOH needs SOU's transport links and its catchment.

And neither are ever going to happen. Both can co-exist and in my opinion and are moving in the right direction. SOU in growing its options for pax flights and BOH further diversifying with the cargo ops. BOH had around £40m thrown at it with the new terminal etc to become a pax airport, and the lowest ticket in town in FR. The truth is that no real growth has ever materialised and nor will it in my opinion. The best part of their catchment is on the other side of a national park that is never going to have a motorway put through it. Even a junction would be a multimillion investment at the tax payers expense which there will never be a strong enough business case for. Further diversifying their already varied business is a good move for BOH, and clearly a benefit when pax flights go through their regular downturns. It will be interesting to see if the cargo ops have a long term future or whether they are just PPE based. Stoddart is a bit of an opportunist as has been seen in the past.

SWBKCB
18th Oct 2020, 12:04
It will be interesting to see if the cargo ops have a long term future or whether they are just PPE based. Stoddart is a bit of an opportunist as has been seen in the past

And this just demonstrates some of the difficulties of these airport development debate - has BOH had any involvement in this diversification into cargo??

RW20
18th Oct 2020, 14:49
And neither are ever going to happen. Both can co-exist and in my opinion and are moving in the right direction. SOU in growing its options for pax flights and BOH further diversifying with the cargo ops. BOH had around £40m thrown at it with the new terminal etc to become a pax airport, and the lowest ticket in town in FR. The truth is that no real growth has ever materialised and nor will it in my opinion. The best part of their catchment is on the other side of a national park that is never going to have a motorway put through it. Even a junction would be a multimillion investment at the tax payers expense which there will never be a strong enough business case for. Further diversifying their already varied business is a good move for BOH, and clearly a benefit when pax flights go through their regular downturns. It will be interesting to see if the cargo ops have a long term future or whether they are just PPE based. Stoddart is a bit of an opportunist as has been seen in the past.
Absolute drivel from you again!,BOH continues as the South Coast airport simply because it can and will diversify due to its airside development. At best SOU will continue
for the time being,but the pandemic if it continues will put a massive constraint on its viability,the airport can't offer anything further,the runway application is becoming
increasingly irrelevant,simply because there will not be routes to attract Paxs.
​​​​​​

sambatc
18th Oct 2020, 16:12
Absolute drivel from you again!
​​​​​​

The irony...

Nakata77
24th Oct 2020, 09:23
Interestingly the table at the end of the article shows that Bournemouth to Spain/Portugal with Ryanair being way more profitable than SOU with Flybe despite the massive fare differences.

​​​​​​https://www.anna.aero/2020/10/23/flybe-had-15-international-routes-with-16m-profit-in-2019-rdcs-apex-shows-11-still-unserved/

Dropoffcharge
24th Oct 2020, 10:13
Interestingly the table at the end of the article shows that Bournemouth to Spain/Portugal with Ryanair being way more profitable than SOU

Facts that's have been discussed time and time again between this and the SOU thread. BOH is a bucket and spade airport, SOU business and regional, so not surprising data, also full 737-8's vs E195's will always be more profitable.

southside bobby
24th Oct 2020, 11:01
Really trying to bend an apple & pears comparison to fit a particular viewpoint.
Understood that generally so called "bucket & spade" routes operated at lower margin compared with higher end business routes.

stewyb
24th Oct 2020, 11:04
Facts that's have been discussed time and time again between this and the SOU thread. BOH is a bucket and spade airport, SOU business and regional, so not surprising data, also full 737-8's vs E195's will always be more profitable.

However, if a LCC operated from SOU post extension, it would be interesting to see how the profitability would compare versus RYR on the Med routes in particular!

Dropoffcharge
24th Oct 2020, 14:27
However, if a LCC operated from SOU post extension, it would be interesting to see how the profitability would compare versus RYR on the Med routes in particular!

Two camps on this subject, IF a LCC at SOU were to come in and take on RYN at BOH then the seat price war would commence, think I know who my money would be on to win that battle.

Rivet Joint
24th Oct 2020, 19:22
Two camps on this subject, IF a LCC at SOU were to come in and take on RYN at BOH then the seat price war would commence, think I know who my money would be on to win that battle.

No seat price war would be necessary. As has been pointed out time and time again by those with any sense, SOU and BOH are completely different and target a different audience. Both can and will continue to co-exist, even if a LCC appears at SOU. FR will never be the right fit at SOU with their 737s, so they will almost certainly remain the lowest ticket even if EZY opened a base at SOU. The problem the posters on this thread have always had is that they ignore one very important word in business, which is yield. It is arguably the most important column in that table, even more than the profit one. Whilst the table shows that the comparable routes are more profitable at BOH, it also shows that the yield is more than double for each route at SOU. In simple terms this means that SOU has a market where enough people are willing to pay more than double the ticket prices that BOH offer, to the extent that each route nearly has an 80% load factor. There are not many businesses that charge more than double their local competitor and manage to still make a healthy profit. I would argue that if EZY or someone else did come along at SOU, they would not even need to engage in a price war with BOH, they could still charge double and make a profit, as BE have proved. They could even charge just 50% more than BOH, and perhaps increase that circa 80% load factor even more, taking some of BOHs passengers in the process. As I have already said though, I fully expect FR to soldier on at BOH even if a LCC carrier appeared on the scene at SOU. BOH is not centered around pax flights like SOU is, so it should not fear SOUs growth in that area.

Nakata77
24th Oct 2020, 23:19
LOL

the point that’s missing here is that Flybe operated 78 seat Q400 on ALC for example so fares need to be double or they’d loose money completely. Plus I think you could operate a Q400 from pretty much any airstrip in the U.K. and get an 80% load factor... even competing with FR. A bigger aircraft then suddenly things look a lot more risky from SOU with its current weight limits. Unless of course the runway is extended...

ROC10
25th Oct 2020, 11:36
First TUI flight in over two weeks today – BOH-ACE.

MARKEYD
11th Nov 2020, 08:34
Just looking ahead at TUI planned 2022 operation from Bournemouth and only provisional ( anything can change at any time )

Looks like a 2 nd based aircraft will be operating for the summer with many gaps still to fill , 2nd aircraft was going to be shared with Exeter but no extra flights showing from that airport

At the moment 2 aircraft are required on a Monday , Thursday and Friday with missing destinations still being LPA and TFS and confirmed but not in the system yet is Rhodes going x 2 and extra services to ACE and DLM

Still a long way off but a good prospect

Next summer will see just how it all pans out

RW20
11th Nov 2020, 14:38
Good luck to Bournemouth,they seemed to be riding out Covid better then all the southern airports,indeed with SOU now closed on Saturdays,and limited operations on Wednesday,one could ask if it's viable for Southampton airport to continue?