Jet2 are releasing BOH flights imminently

PDXCWL45
25th May 2018, 09:14
For when? Will it be a base ?

MARKEYD
25th May 2018, 09:59

Your going to have to give us a little bit more information than that , as much as I want that to be true , it has been mooted about before a few times

If its true though , then it will be a game changer for Bournemouth , that s for sure !!

irishlad06
25th May 2018, 11:16

any proof to back this up?

Groundloop
25th May 2018, 17:04
Hopefully they won't try Belfast again!

Knife-Edge
25th May 2018, 19:14
Jet2 holidays and some new IT destinations would certainly be good news. TUI have had a monoply for too long and have been happy to just sit on fat routes with high load factors and take a significantly higher fare than the same holiday from other regional airports.

Bournemouthair
30th May 2018, 07:18
Hopefully with the great announcement from Gama and with the comments Rigby gave about progress. They will now allow av8 to build there new complex of hangars on the flying club land

RW20
30th May 2018, 12:59
Shamrock7seal
In view of the Jet2 announcement today that there will be no new bases in the UK for 2019,what news do you have on BOH jet 2 flights in the future?

MARKEYD
30th May 2018, 13:14
Bit to keen , and jumping the gun to be making comments like that on numerous threads in the first place with no credible source it would seem

PDXCWL45
30th May 2018, 13:29
To be fair to the poster but would Jet2 announce a new base via a site like TTG and he said Jet2 are releasing flights imminently so that could imply non based flights or possibly a charter for someone else.

MARKEYD
30th May 2018, 14:31
To be fair to the poster but would Jet2 announce a new base via a site like TTG and he said Jet2 are releasing flights imminently so that could imply non based flights or possibly a charter for someone else.

Yep , fair point , it is a rumour network after all !!

Flitefone
30th May 2018, 14:43
Bit to keen , and jumping the gun to be making comments like that on numerous threads in the first place with no credible source it would seem

To be fair, Jet2 (Steve Lee of Jet2 - who would know) hinted at flying from BOH in an article published by Travel Weekly about 6 months ago, when it referred, with a metaphorical twinkle in the eye, to the possibility of returning to the airline's roots on the south coast (the Channel Express operation from Hurn).

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/297656/a-look-back-at-15-years-of-jet2com

Jet2 also said this about airport capacity (published by Flight) in July 2017:Slot restrictions at London's airports have created an "interesting challenge" for Jet2 to expand in southeast England, the airline's head of regulation, compliance and resilience Andy Cooper has acknowledged.

Speaking at an Airlines UK seminar in London today, Cooper said that achieving two rotations a day was an increasingly difficult task for the leisure carrier as it required "two fundamentals: a slot-one departure time and almost certainly a late returning on your second rotation".

Cooper says there is "absolutely no chance" of getting this arrangement at London Heathrow as that airport is "full all day". At Gatwick, there was "no real practical chance of trying to get out on an early departure". Meanwhile, it is "not particularly practical" to operate from London City, and Luton "suffers from terminal constraints to some extent", he says.

This leaves Stansted as "probably the only real option in the southeast of England to actually grow as a point of departure for any UK-based carrier", Cooper argues. Leeds-based Jet2 entered the London market this spring when it opened a base at Stansted.

Cooper also warns of the potential impact on Jet2's operations of a current consultation on night flights at London's airports.

"At the moment, none of us have any idea of what the new [night flights] regime is going to look like,” he says. "So we have this strange situation of selling a [flight] programme without being absolutely certain we can operate them. We are relying on the fact that common sense will prevail"

Looking at the airline's past base and route press releases, new UK bases seem to be announced 5-9 months ahead of opening, whereas new routes from existing bases are released with a longer timeframe typically 9-12 months out.

So, that Jet2 will continue to expand is not really in doubt, read their company reports. That any new base will be south of Birmingham is also pretty clear. They are already established pretty much everywhere else. Of those southern airports potentially available, the airline seems to have ruled out LHR, LTN and LGW in the southeast. We know they are all full at peak times anyway. Beyond that, there are not too many airports in southern England (and Wales) with the runway length and slot capacity to cope with a full B738 to just about any of the Jet2 destinations... BRS, CWL, BOH, EXT, NQY. Then there is demand and competition to think about.

LCY, SOU and SEN are ruled out for the 738 on runway length and/or overnight aircraft parking availability.

If there is to be any announcement, using past precedent it should be timed no later than about end September this year for summer 2019, or by end of this June for the winter 18/19 timetable. So lets see what the next few weeks brings! It is at least an interesting rumour..

FF

pug
30th May 2018, 18:38
Nothing in that article suggests that Bournemouth is on the radar. That was the opinion of the author, nothing more.

stewyb
30th May 2018, 20:41
Nothing in that article suggests that Bournemouth is on the radar. That was the opinion of the author, nothing more.

i think you can all stand down for the time being, at least where a new jet2 base is concerned. Best hope would be for 1 or 2 non based routes although jet2 don't seem to operate this model!

Plane.Silly
31st May 2018, 06:40
i think you can all stand down for the time being, at least where a new jet2 base is concerned. Best hope would be for 1 or 2 non based routes although jet2 don't seem to operate this model!

Agreed. If they wanted to move in, they would have probably done it when BOH was under MAG ownership, since LS have big bases at these other airports.

Dropoffcharge
7th Jun 2018, 10:38
Maybe a good time for the new owners to look at the current drop off fee, to try and rebuild a few bridges with the locals, what with SOU upping there's recently and getting a slating in the press. Seems the BOMO site outside of the airport was also vandalised recently with some cars being damaged.

MARKEYD
7th Jun 2018, 11:39
Its a business now I am afraid , that has to make money , in order for the airport to survive in the winter as still very few flights going through it

The car park is a disgrace though , it really needs paving all over , not having sand / gravel to park on and not even a bus to pick you up at the far end , in the wilderness
A cheap metal multi story car park would have been the best alternative years ago when MAG were building the terminal

Badgermanuk
20th Jun 2018, 12:33
They are £30 for a week, I have just booked. They should see a nice increase in business.

or maybe not..speaking as one who got their fingers burnt on this one
Unofficial Car Park firm shuts suddenly (http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/16302405.300_car_keys_dumped_at_airport_as_off_site_parking_ firm_folds_with_no_warning_to_customers/)

Knife-Edge
20th Jun 2018, 23:08
Oh dear! Back to Hobson’s choice for parking and no competition, which is never a healthy situation.
I am booked in with them for next week, thankfully paid for on a credit card.

MARKEYD
29th Jun 2018, 08:52
Very late in the day for April passenger figures I am afraid

Bournemouth handled 64 , 431 passengers up 2 %

Ryanair started their summer schedule with loads in the 90 % on pretty much most of their flights

TUI as usual in the high 95 % figures

Easy Jet finished Geneva with 3956 passengers using the service finishing in mid April and loads roughly worked out at 132 pax

Southampton saw 2997 passengers between Flybe and Easy jet
Flybe 65 pax per flight then Easy 109 pax per flight
Flybe 75 pax per flight then Easy 100 pax per flight

Otherwise nothing much going on again , very quiet for the summer

The Nutts Mutts
30th Jun 2018, 07:52
Now that the CAA figures are in for the winter 17/18 season it's possible to get an idea of how EZY starting SOU flights has impacted the south coast market.

In Winter 16/17 (Dec-Apr ski season) SOU-GVA attracted 5858 pax, all of them on Flybe. In winter 17/18, this became 20397 pax between EZY and Flybe (up 14539, 348%).

In 16/17 BOH-GVA saw 33273 pax, all flying EZY. In 17/18 this route got 28986 pax (down 4287, 13%)

The total number of BOH & SOU pax in 16/17 was 39131 giving SOU a 15% market share and BOH 85%. In 17/18 49383 pax were carried from the two south coast airports, with SOU having a 40% share, BOH 60%.

Looking at that, it would appear that while Bournemouth's figures were obviously affected by the start of the EZY route from SOU, their passenger numbers haven't been cannibalised too much. Instead EZY seem to have stimulated demand from SOU itself and possibly stopped some leakage to LHR and LGW. Flybe pax numbers on the Geneva route were up 21% year on year, so they have seen a benefit too. The market has grown in size with SOU taking a bigger share than before. It will be interesting to see what happens this coming winter.

EZY average pax from SOU for April were 118 per flight, the Flybe loads dropped off towards the end of the season.

MARKEYD
26th Jul 2018, 16:09
Ryanair have added an extra flight this winter throughout the season to Alicante making a total of 3 services a week
Although it might not sound big news it's good news for the airport with a few more passengers added to the winter schedule taking in the new route with Ryanair to Paphos that's an extra 3 flights more than last year

Supebreak have upgraded there flights to Iceland , was a Titan 737 now it's an A321 this winter

Newmarket are returning next summer operating a charter to Bergamo using Albastar

FrequentlyFlying
26th Jul 2018, 20:20
There also appear to be 4 flights end Dec and beginning of Jan scheduled and loaded and not available.to book just yet. Excellent news.

Buster the Bear
27th Jul 2018, 20:20
I was told earlier this week that Bournemouth will become a Jet2 based for Summer 2019, if they can find additional used 737-800 airframes.

adfly
27th Jul 2018, 20:36
If true that could really shake things up for BOH! Looking at their other bases I would guess they would want to base 2-3 aircraft, as they have never really done single aircraft bases in the way that TUI and Ryanair seem happy to (even Blackpool was 2-3 aircraft when they flew from there).

FrequentlyFlying
27th Jul 2018, 20:58
Cheers ‘Buster’ that would really take the Southern pressure off and reliance on the new(ish) Stansted bass - if as adfly suggests they tend to go for 2-3 planes that is a mass of destinations - it’s also is a big statement - we will have to keep fingers crossed his happens / they get options on planes secured as summer 19 is already well and truly alive they will be missing their own boat.

Flitefone
27th Jul 2018, 21:18
Based on past precedent, a September announcement for the following summer would fit. I continue to think it likely (see my post #262). There is just not enough summer runway/aircraft parking capacity available elsewhere in the southeast.

FF

shamrock7seal
28th Jul 2018, 08:59
If it doesn't happen it will more than likely be caused by a lack of pilots rather than a lack of aircraft which are quite easy to source.

MARKEYD
31st Jul 2018, 08:49
Bournemouth handled 74 , 870 passengers in June , down 2 % due solely to the loss of 1 Las Palmas service operated by Ryanair . Other wise it was static basically as has been for several years now

All TUI flights operated out about 98 % full with Naples doing very well and as was the Dalaman service operated by Freebird A320

Ryanair had good loads although several flights were cancelled due to French ATC

shamrock7seal
31st Jul 2018, 09:07
Good result considering the weather. If loads are robust during so much uncertainty (economic conditions, world cup, brexsh*t) it shows that there is a strengthening foundation from which BOH traffic can really be built upon.

What's interesting is that SOU was showing a much sharper fall in both Flights (down 15%) and Pax (down 5.5%) even KLM has reduced frequency from double daily to single daily between July-Sep. Odd considering the route would be ideal for inbound tourism during those months if fares were reasonable - which they're not.

The Nutts Mutts
31st Jul 2018, 09:12
The KLM reduction is standard during the school holidays, they've been doing it since the route started. I believe they do it to other airports too, but don't quote me on that as I don't know for certain.

LAX2000
31st Jul 2018, 11:30
Bournemouth handled 74 , 870 passengers in June , down 2 % due solely to the loss of 1 Las Palmas service operated by Ryanair . Other wise it was static basically as has been for several years now

All TUI flights operated out about 98 % full with Naples doing very well and as was the Dalaman service operated by Freebird A320

Ryanair had good loads although several flights were cancelled due to French ATC

Surely its time for TUI to consider basing a 2nd aircraft. They seem to be achieving 90%+ loads all year, and it's not unusual to see their prices £100+ more there the equivalent flight from BRS or LGW.

I know they have already added Crete, Kefallinia and Antalya next year, which has resulted in Tenerife now being operated by Air Europa and Corfu is a W pattern from a Cardiff based aircraft.

Nakata77
31st Jul 2018, 13:39
What really gets me is that every travel agent in Bournemouth is advertising departures from London Gatwick in their shop windows; it's very rare to see a flight advertised that departs from Bournemouth even in Bournemouth town centre!

Groundloop
31st Jul 2018, 13:41
What really gets me is that every travel agent in Bournemouth is advertising departures from London Gatwick in their shop windows; it's very rare to see a flight advertised that departs from Bournemouth even in Bournemouth town centre!

I disagree. Hays Travel have a significant number of packages flying from Bournemouth in their windows. Yesterday I noticed Malta, Mallorca, Lanzarote, Tenerife and others I can't remember at the moment being advertised with Bournemouth departures.

Nakata77
31st Jul 2018, 13:45
OK not every travel agent - but a lot of them - just take a walk at lunchtime and you'll see them yourself, departures from LGW, LGW, LGW.

Hays is perhaps more locally focused

yeo valley
31st Jul 2018, 18:49
The KLM reduction is standard during the school holidays, they've been doing it since the route started. I believe they do it to other airports too, but don't quote me on that as I don't know for certain.

The reduction of flights to AMS is due to runway repairs resurface. The flight reductions are at a few UK airports as in Europe as well. I don't know how long repairs are going to be in operation.

shamrock7seal
31st Jul 2018, 20:44
Seeing lots of articles reviewing Bournemouth, one even referring to Bournemouth beach as the UK's Miami Beach. Given the potential of tourism to the region, is there any chance that routes from UK regions to Bournemouth would work? I don't mean daily services. I mean specifically package holiday and LCC-style flights that could be timed for seasonal (summer only) weekend travel. e.g Monday and Friday services to/from Newcastle/Leeds/Glasgow. Thoughts?

CabinCrewe
31st Jul 2018, 21:04
Hasnt BOH been tried from regions incl GLA in the past and dropped?
Bournemouth aint no Miami...

EGPO
1st Aug 2018, 10:26
Wasn't Flybe based in Bournemouth at one point or was it Air Southwest?.
Perhaps if Flybe were operating routes similar to other regional airports it may help.
After all is it not true that Southampton is constrained by runway length?.

rpmac
1st Aug 2018, 11:11
A few years ago I flew Prestwick to Bournemouth and back with Ryanair, I seem to remember that a 737 was reasonably full!

Groundloop
1st Aug 2018, 11:27
Quite a few UK destinations have been tried in the not-too-distant past from BOH - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Belfast - and all have been withdrawn. Draw your own conclusions.

MARKEYD
1st Aug 2018, 12:42
Bournemouth and domestic flights don't go together , end of

Regarding Ryanair to PIK yes they were full up , but charging £ 19 one way of course its going to be full

Leave the domestic schedules to Southampton and Flybe which they are good at and leave BOH to concentrate on the holiday , sun and IT packages which its good at

shamrock7seal
2nd Aug 2018, 11:54
The question was would a Holiday, Package, IT flight (with 737 or A320 sized a/c) from Newcastle, Glasgow or Leeds Bradford work only in the summer months bringing domestic stay-cation tourists from the North down to the South Coast - specifically for a summer beach holiday in Bournemouth?

Newquay seems to support this theory (albeit with Flybe) but Bournemouth has over 7m tourists (12m if you include Poole and surrounding area) a year mostly from domestic UK.

tibbs87
2nd Aug 2018, 15:20
The question was would a Holiday, Package, IT flight (with 737 or A320 sized a/c) from Newcastle, Glasgow or Leeds Bradford work only in the summer months bringing domestic stay-cation tourists from the North down to the South Coast - specifically for a summer beach holiday in Bournemouth?

Newquay seems to support this theory (albeit with Flybe) but Bournemouth has over 7m tourists (12m if you include Poole and surrounding area) a year mostly from domestic UK.

I think it's a possibility, but the council and Rigby Group would need to ensure better transportation links between the airport and key destinations like Christchurch, Bournemouth & Poole centres or train stations - that's the real flaw at the moment. But if they sorted out local infrastructure I think seasonal charter flights from Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow would work - we could even see charters coming in from Aberdeen, Belfast, Doncaster, Teesside & Norwich. It would be an amazing opportunity for local tourism, I would say they would need to perhaps implement smaller aircraft to test the market, ie Embraer jets or A319 sized aircraft & when the need arises upgrade to larger aircraft when the demand is there? :)

yeo valley
2nd Aug 2018, 15:23
With a NCL route nearly all the pax is one way.There would be to many rotations with not a lot of pax on them.

stewyb
2nd Aug 2018, 16:16
I think it's a possibility, but the council and Rigby Group would need to ensure better transportation links between the airport and key destinations like Christchurch, Bournemouth & Poole centres or train stations - that's the real flaw at the moment. But if they sorted out local infrastructure I think seasonal charter flights from Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow would work - we could even see charters coming in from Aberdeen, Belfast, Doncaster, Teesside & Norwich. It would be an amazing opportunity for local tourism, I would say they would need to perhaps implement smaller aircraft to test the market, ie Embraer jets or A319 sized aircraft & when the need arises upgrade to larger aircraft when the demand is there? :)

Are you serious, filling an A319 with 156 seats on domestic routes from BOU! :D

MARKEYD
2nd Aug 2018, 18:26
We have been down this particular road many many times before , it’s just not feasible

Delusionsional ideas again , sorry but it is

canberra97
3rd Aug 2018, 01:13
Wasn't Flybe based in Bournemouth at one point or was it Air Southwest?.
Perhaps if Flybe were operating routes similar to other regional airports it may help.
After all is it not true that Southampton is constrained by runway length?.

Air Southwest never operated from BOH and Flybe had a base at the airport for one season only a couple of years ago (it wasn't based there as Exeter is the home base of Flybe)

The runway at SOU does have it's constraints regarding runway length but this isn't a problem for the domestic routes that you have already mentioned.

You suggest seasonal IT flights from the regions to BOH, who do you suppose operated these as their are currently no domestic holiday companies offering internal holidays and flights combined.

The Newquay flights as a comparison are generally seat only and I'm certain that if we have summers like we are experiencing that in the coming years Bournemouth will become more ever more popular especially with the younger generation due to it's active nightlife and attractions but it's definitely no Miami although the beach at Bournemouth is far nicer than Miami Beach which to be honest is nothing to write home about :-)

tibbs87
4th Aug 2018, 02:37
Are you serious, filling an A319 with 156 seats on domestic routes from BOU! :D

I said from Embraer jets OR A319 sized aircraft, I didn't say should & I'm not talking about scheduled domestic flights from Bournemouth, rather inbound seasonal (Summer) charters to BOH. It's not delusional at all, especially with Brexit on the horizon, there may be more Brits taking holidays to domestic destinations, so not delusional at all considering the current climate.

tibbs87
4th Aug 2018, 02:46
You suggest seasonal IT flights from the regions to BOH, who do you suppose operated these as their are currently no domestic holiday companies offering internal holidays and flights combined.

On the contrary British Airways offers domestic flights with hotels & car hire, also Expedia offer similar services for domestic UK flights, there's no 'all inclusive' domestic holiday firms, but perhaps that may become more frequent in the future if the demand becomes apparent - never say never ;)

shamrock7seal
9th Aug 2018, 01:29
tibbs87: This would be perfect for a Jet2 operation for example:

Friday night NCL to BOH with the a/c night-stopping. Saturday morning the aircraft could do BOH to the Med and back to BOH a couple times then the same on Sunday and then Sunday night or early Monday morning back to NCL. Definitely could fill a plane of 189 seats with people from Newcastle wanting a Hen or Stag Night weekend in BOH!

rog747
9th Aug 2018, 06:56
tibbs87: This would be perfect for a Jet2 operation for example:

Friday night NCL to BOH with the a/c night-stopping. Saturday morning the aircraft could do BOH to the Med and back to BOH a couple times then the same on Sunday and then Sunday night or early Monday morning back to NCL. Definitely could fill a plane of 189 seats with people from Newcastle wanting a Hen or Stag Night weekend in BOH!

good god please don't blight poor old Bournemouth anymore with plane loads of drunken skanks and tarts - we are trying to get over that image which has damaged the town

Plane.Silly
9th Aug 2018, 15:06
I'm seeing 2 problems with this

1. People from NCL would likely have a few drinks beforehand, meaning half of them would be unfit to fly, if it ever gets off the ground to begin with (delays)
2. 1 less A/c in NCL for Sat/Sun, where there is proven demand for the flights/ holidays

MARKEYD
9th Aug 2018, 20:52
Like I said some very strange delusional comments from some posters recently , very school boy wishes
Lets get back to normal posting on here , thanks

shamrock7seal
10th Aug 2018, 01:33
Like I said some very strange delusional comments from some posters recently , very school boy wishes
Lets get back to normal posting on here , thanks

Come on MARKEYD we have to be a bit delusional in order to keep positive... nothing else is happening at BOH

Nakata77
15th Aug 2018, 08:11
Exeter and Flybe are now doing 4 daily flights to MAN, double daily to CDG and 11 a week to AMS. How can BOH still, in 2018, be without services to these hub cities? Bournemouth is three times the size of Exeter!

PDXCWL45
15th Aug 2018, 08:25
Exeter and Flybe are now doing 4 daily flights to MAN, double daily to CDG and 11 a week to AMS. How can BOH still, in 2018, be without services to these hub cities? Bournemouth is three times the size of Exeter!
Because those routes are covered by SOU for the area and I'm pretty sure AMS and CDG are only daily flights for both routes from EXT and MAN is 3 daily.

Nakata77
15th Aug 2018, 08:40
They just announced increased frequencies

FrequentlyFlying
15th Aug 2018, 09:52
Southampton can’t do LC bucket and spade v well but it can do small plane regional and city very well - the distance between the two is minimal - They should actually compliment each other and not canabalise each other as ones strengths literally is the others weakness - fingers crossed for Jet2 and increases in TUI FR winter sun from BOH - almost perfect for all - someone to get hold of Flybe and shake it and cites and regional increases from Southampton - not sure how a Palma flight by EZY will be the saviour of Sou - it will just underline the restraints on it - runway/infrastructure/curfew - they will hardly see the prospects of a airport they can’t get back after delays to at night or with a stacked 320 being unable to take off - leaving them with no flexibility but the 319 - more Buckets to BOH please!

Dropoffcharge
15th Aug 2018, 11:48
The truth of the matter is however, BOH could in fact be very successful at both markets (as proved for the short time while flybe were operating from there) while SOU really does seem to be that one trick pony so to speak. With Exeter now getting an increase in frequency, maybe it's time for the new owners of BOH to offer flybe a great (and no doubt better than SOU) deal at there big sister airport.

SWBKCB
15th Aug 2018, 11:59
BOH could in fact be very successful at both markets (as proved for the short time while flybe were operating from there)

So why did BE stop operating?

Tagron
15th Aug 2018, 12:20
- not sure how a Palma flight by EZY will be the saviour of Sou - it will just underline the restraints on it - runway/infrastructure/curfew - they will hardly see the prospects of a airport they can’t get back after delays to at night or with a stacked 320 being unable to take off - leaving them with no flexibility but the 319 - more Buckets to BOH please!
This is not correct. An A320 will offer a greater take off range at full payload from a limiting runway such as SOU than the EZY A319-111. The engines of the -111 variant are in effect derated which means it is not optimised for operating from short runways . Other variants of the A319 have higher rated engines.The EZY A320 does not suffer from this drawback so is less affected.

Dropoffcharge
15th Aug 2018, 14:09
So why did BE stop operating?
Maybe was just a toe in the water, or more than likely a ploy to get a better deal out of SOU signed (which initially may have worked) also am sure MAG offered them a free term, so why wouldn't they give it a try. Now under RCA ownership, with BE already operating put of there other airports, who knows what could be in the pipeline.

SWBKCB
15th Aug 2018, 14:19
So how can that be classed as proof that they were "very successful"?

RW20
15th Aug 2018, 16:08
With the distinct possibility that jet 2 will open up a base at BOU in 2019,the chance of Easy operating any sun routes from SOU must be very remote indeed.Its Bournemouth time to expand,they have the runway and airside capabilities ( unlike Southampton) and carriers must be looking to use capacity available.

Dropoffcharge
15th Aug 2018, 20:19
So how can that be classed as proof that they were "very successful"?

​​​​​Bit of research into the pax loads during the time they operated from BOH is proof.

shamrock7seal
28th Aug 2018, 09:50
After all the rumour and noise about Jet2 it seems this has gone cold due to lack of aircraft and crew.

This seems to be confirmed by Andrew Bell CEO of Regional & City Airports who when speaking with the Echo tried his best to say that it would be next year and the year after next year that things in the pipeline will come to fruition. Basically the only thing he could confirm was that they are asking local people in surveys to tell them where they want to fly to.

Pretty disappointing given 9 months already under new ownership.

Ryanair 2019 programme STILL NOT YET ON SALE

SWBKCB
28th Aug 2018, 10:28
Pretty disappointing given 9 months already under new ownership.

Meanwhile, back in the real world..... :rolleyes:

MARKEYD
28th Aug 2018, 10:40

You might have been a bit premature in that statement perhaps .....

shamrock7seal
28th Aug 2018, 13:11
Yes you’re right. Usually my sources are reliable. This time not... apologies

MARKEYD
28th Aug 2018, 13:29
Shamrock7seal , no worries goodness we have all done it !!

Bournemouth handled 74 , 453 passengers in July down nearly 7, 000 passengers on last year
Not sure really why , but a reduction in flights from Las Palmas and Malaga this year with Ryanair is the main reason I think
Otherwise as usual , healthy figures on all the schedules

Ryanair are always late on putting on sale Summer flights from BOH , should hopefully be added next month

shamrock7seal
28th Aug 2018, 13:30
Could be cos the weather was stunning. Why would anyone leave Bournemouth!?

interesting that SOU was also down 8% for July

Captcargo
4th Sep 2018, 10:33
This is the latest news courtesy TravelMole.Jet2.com and Jet2holidays have announced a big recruitment drive offering over 3,000 jobs across the UK and Europe for a variety of positions to support the company's growth.

More than 2,000 jobs are located across the company's nine UK bases - in flight deck, cabin crew and ground operations roles - and a nationwide roadshow will support a huge recruitment drive to fill the roles, giving jobseekers the opportunity to meet with staff to find out more.

The announcement comes as the airline continues its growth strategy, on the back of summer 2018, which saw its biggest programme so far of flights and holidays.

Next summer, the company will increase capacity by another 12%, with over 12 million seats on sale.

To support this growth Jet2 is looking to fill 100 flight deck, 1,000 cabin crew and 1,000 ground operations positions in the UK alone.

On top of these UK roles, there are more than 1,000 positions available across Europe.

Jet2 CEO Steve Heapy said: "This is our biggest ever recruitment drive, and once again demonstrates our commitment to investing in our customers and in people's careers."

This is the latest news from TravelMole.

rog747
4th Sep 2018, 12:46
Sorry but no recruitment drive for BOH?
(No base there either - as yet?)

Some nice jobs though all over UK and abroad on the Jet2 careers website. (both Jet2 and Jet2 Holidays)

MARKEYD
4th Sep 2018, 16:37
Next summer will still see an increase of at least 5 new flights adding another 47 , 000 passengers hopefully to the schedule

TUI to Kefalonia. , Antalya and Heraklion
Ryanair to Paphos x 2

Hopefully we will see the same Ryanair schedule as this summer , still to be released although the likes of BRS , BHX , STN etc been on sale for a while now

Captcargo
7th Sep 2018, 10:30
Pug. Although not written in stone the possibility exists through this statement: So, that Jet2 will continue to expand is not really in doubt, read their company reports. That any new base will be south of Birmingham is also pretty clear. They are already established pretty much everywhere else. Of those southern airports potentially available, the airline seems to have ruled out LHR, LTN and LGW in the southeast. We know they are all full at peak times anyway. Beyond that, there are not too many airports in southern England (and Wales) with the runway length and slot capacity to cope with a full B738 to just about any of the Jet2 destinations... BRS, CWL, BOH, EXT, NQY. Then there is demand and competition to think about.

shamrock7seal
10th Sep 2018, 05:17
Next summer will still see an increase of at least 5 new flights adding another 47 , 000 passengers hopefully to the schedule

TUI to Kefalonia. , Antalya and Heraklion
Ryanair to Paphos x 2

Hopefully we will see the same Ryanair schedule as this summer , still to be released although the likes of BRS , BHX , STN etc been on sale for a while now

But is Paphos actually confirmed for S19 yet? Ryanair haven't released anything for BOH beyond March 19.

Nakata77
10th Sep 2018, 10:07
TUI was on sale 6 months ago for Sumer 2019 flights from BOH.

Surely they will be taking customers off the market that could otherwise have considered flying with Ryanair.

What is going on?

FrequentlyFlying
10th Sep 2018, 10:52
Lots of Winter 19 being launched - less than 6 months seems a bit unnecessarily risky. Maybe the Jet2 rumours and new management have caused some delays looked back here in 12 months ago and nothing in fact winter launches talked about .... hmmmm

MARKEYD
10th Sep 2018, 10:59
Ryanair are always late in loading there schedules from smaller UK airports , BOH is no exception

Last year they started to load there Summer 18 schedule on 9th Sept as was looking back out of interest

Ryanair have loaded Krakow for next summer which stays at 2 flights a week

EasyJet don’t start to load there summer schedule until mid Oct and then it’s only until about June 19
so I don’t think anyone needs to be duly worried

inOban
10th Sep 2018, 11:46
Actually Easyjet release early summer on 20th September and the peak season a week later.

Holiday companies release their holidays over 12 months ahead hoping to get customers to rebook as soon as they return from this year's.

shamrock7seal
11th Sep 2018, 10:44
Knew something was up with Ryanair - they just announced flights from Exeter ... not sure how this will go for BOH since the catchment of both airports overlap

FrequentlyFlying
11th Sep 2018, 12:04
Boh owners Rigby also run Exeter - so likely Rigby have done some deal ? It’s all a bit odd though to release Exeter flights and not BOH still .... hmmmmm (again) ... Caliing MarkyD for an explanation to settle us BOH frequent flyers!

MARKEYD
12th Sep 2018, 13:25
Not sure if I know the answer to that one !! Lol

Ryanair have released the Malta schedule now for summer 19 , same as this year . Think they are just drip feeding the schedule for 19 as most other smaller UK airports that Ryanair operates from are in the same position as BOH

I would imagine that Ryanair is testing the water a bit regarding EXT for next summer as the likelihood of Flybe not operating a summer sun schedule from 2020 looks possible , so easy for them to takeover

We will just have to wait regarding what the plan for BOH actually is , but hopefully with the incumbent MD leaving at the end of this month hopefully a more dynamic MD will be able to takeover and announce what the future plan might look like at BOH

MARKEYD
13th Sep 2018, 14:53
Article in the local rag today confirming from Ryanair

1 ) Don’t see Exeter Airport as a threat to BOH in starting operations from their

2 ) Finalising the summer schedule still and will release it in the next few weeks

3 ) Must all be true !!!

FrequentlyFlying
13th Sep 2018, 20:54
Yes read it in me local rag to, it’s always the same old crap in the comments column, not a clue about business and whining on about 2.50 which they clearly don’t ever use as it’s 3 quid! That’s less than priority bags with FR and happily pay it - maybe they should call it a convenience charge, still be happy to pay it! Great little airport could easily handle 2 or 3 more based aircraft - whether Rigby manage to get FR to expand or Jet2 in remains to be seen - but it’s waiting - the constant whining about road links is a red herring too - not much worse than some of the approaches to a lot of airports.

shamrock7seal
14th Sep 2018, 02:58
People drive from the West Country and Western Dorset to BOH to take Ryanair to Malaga and Malta. The more services that open up at EXT the more that western catchment for BOH will dry up surely?

FrequentlyFlying
14th Sep 2018, 06:31
Bournemouth , Exeter and Bristol are like a triangle - almost equdistance in a map - not sure how that doesn’t impact catchment but I suppose whilst Southampton remains infrastructure and more importantly time restricted the corridor of catchment to Bournemouth is still large with what in effect is two small cities - Southampton & Bournemouth /Poole /Xchurch On irs doorstep - so guess we will see first at the release for BOH and secondly and numbers and (guess) yield at both - don’t forget BOH has (currently) slots and plane parking facilities which aren’t in huge supply elsewhere. Time..... as they say... still think FR are being cagey in the press release about BOH something is stirring.

Flitefone
14th Sep 2018, 06:32
Several points to note regarding the posts about the RYR announcement re a handful of Exeter flights.

1. Competition with Flybe

Flybe do not serve Malta or Naples and with the withdrawal of E195 and concentration on a Q400 fleet, even the future of Malaga for the airline is doubtful. Flybe is not pursuing routes that compete with low cost carriers, because by their own assessment, they cannot compete in those markets with their fleet.

2. Catchment

Exeter and Bristol serve Cornwall, Devon and West Dorset, RYR already serve Newquay and Bristol, but EZY is the biggest carrier by far for the west country with its BRS base. It makes sense for RYR to take a bigger bite of that proven market. It will be the EZY market at BRS that looks the juiciest for RYR.

3. Overlap with BOH

The road travel time from BOH to EXT, LGW, and BRS is almost identical. Heathrow is actually closest from an average journey time standpoint. The leakage from the south coast to the London airports (esp. LHR/LGW) is much greater, which also provides a market opportunity for BOH, BRS and EXT. That’s the opportunity that RYR (and EZY/Jet2) will be after.

4. RCA

It seems to me that RCA have done a good job in securing RYR for Exeter, and there are also signs that they are making progress at BOH. The GAMA announcement was a significant milestone. From what I hear expect more route development news.

5. Jet2

The biggest market in the UK is London, the company has said it wants to grow London and the south east, and is adding 3 aircraft at STN for 2019. So the only major population not living within 90 minutes drive of an existing Jet2 airport are still those many millions living south of London and Bristol. BRS, BOH and EXT will be on the radar as potential options as part of that strategy for Jet2 at some point and the company will likely roll out in that order. With Gatwick later when and if it can find the slots - which is more of a challenge.

FF

Badgermanuk
18th Sep 2018, 08:16
Look likes RYR have started to load Summer 19 schedules, at first quick look, no major changes or new destinations, the LPA flight timings have changed -LPA-BOH-LPA so an early evening arrival in Las Palmas, and Paphos stops at end of March

MARKEYD
18th Sep 2018, 08:46
Looks like a carbon copy of this years schedule at the moment

There is a large gap on Saturday am now as the LPA flight is not based so it may be a Paphos service is slotted in or something else possibly

Super Break holidays are using Germania on the outbound Funchal flight in October and Travel Service on the return and Santa Holidays are now using Thomas Cook as well as Titan to Ivalao in Dec for their 3 flights

Ryanair have added there usual extra flights over the Christmas period to ALC and AGP in addition to the extra ALC service this winter on a Thursday , now to 3 a week

FrequentlyFlying
18th Sep 2018, 10:01
It’s good to see stability confirmed - actually for someone who uses FR at BOH a lot it’s a huge relief. The room for expansion is clear there when/if Jet2 decide on it 2020, but other developments before with such strong expansion might change that, but at least Rigby seem to be working on a relationship with FR, LCC and buckets and spades will remain the best/only course for BOH.
phew!

shamrock7seal
19th Sep 2018, 12:46
Bad news for BOH

SOU getting a runway extension, terminal extension and new apron parking stands for what seems like 11 A320/737 sized aircraft

They are projecting 4m pax per annum just 9 years from today

Nakata77
19th Sep 2018, 13:36
I’m sorry but Rigby has done nothing fro BOH apart from persuading a BOH customer airline to go into EXT.

TUI have been expanding everywhere and I doubt Rigby are especially credited with that.

BOH needs to work MUCH harder now if it is to compete with a runway extension at SOU. No reason now why Ryanair, Jet2 and EasyJet wouldn’t consider massive expansion at SOU to the total detriment of BOH

MARKEYD
19th Sep 2018, 13:52
Southampton is only getting 4 stands that have been tinkered around with that can take A320 / 737 aircraft , the rest are the same , leaving 13 stands in total . This would include Flybe probably using the 9 stands along the front of the main apron

Rigby have plans no doubt for further expansion , a new MD starts at the beginning of October so may have some news then from him / her ?

Cant believe 5 minutes ago everyone thought BOH was on a role with Jet2 and SOU was doomed now its seems a role reversal , just wait and see guys , its not over yet !!

stewyb
19th Sep 2018, 14:45
Southampton is only getting 4 stands that have been tinkered around with that can take A320 / 737 aircraft , the rest are the same , leaving 13 stands in total . This would include Flybe probably using the 9 stands along the front of the main apron

Rigby have plans no doubt for further expansion , a new MD starts at the beginning of October so may have some news then from him / her ?

Cant believe 5 minutes ago everyone thought BOH was on a role with Jet2 and SOU was doomed now its seems a role reversal , just wait and see guys , its not over yet !!

SOU will go with a EZY expansion surely!

SWBKCB
19th Sep 2018, 14:57
Don't think that's SOU's decision to make.

TCAS FAN
19th Sep 2018, 15:05
SWBKCB

SOU are not going to shell out mega bucks unless there is a probability that someone is going to take advantage of it. By comparison SEN have the same width runway, with ILS on runway, similar TORAs (when extension added SOU should have more on 20) and LDAs less than SOU, I'd say that orange may be the new black at SOU!

SWBKCB
19th Sep 2018, 15:27
You might be right but SOU haven't spent anything yet. Let's wait and see once the planning permissions granted and the concrete's poured.

Flitefone
19th Sep 2018, 15:27

Spot on MarkeyD - SOU has done a good job with the Masterplan, but its a twenty year plan most of which is at least ten years away. It will not have a near or even a mefium term impact for BOH. Masterplans are nothing more than forecasts and plans, which are notoriously flakey - take a look at the SOU 2006 plan compared with what happened since. Delivering the new SOU plan will take years. As regards impact to BOH - it is unlikely that there will be any material effect for at least 5 years. The LGW masterplan due out later this year will likely have more impact to the prospects for both the south coast airports. But again this is still years away.

The near/medium propects for BOH are good, and so far as I can see the management teams at both airports are doing a good job.

MARKEYD
19th Sep 2018, 17:02
Thanks FF

Question , Do all UK airports have to produce a Masterplan for future development or is it just for airports that have over a certain amount of passenger numbers
I haven't seen or heard of anything from say , EXT , BOH , NWI , INV , HUM , NQY etc .....

I know BOH had one back over 10 yrs ago but do they have re produce one now

Cheers

Flitefone
19th Sep 2018, 19:06
Thanks FF

Question , Do all UK airports have to produce a Masterplan for future development or is it just for airports that have over a certain amount of passenger numbers
I haven't seen or heard of anything from say , EXT , BOH , NWI , INV , HUM , NQY etc .....

I know BOH had one back over 10 yrs ago but do they have re produce one now

Cheers
Markey, so far as I am aware there is no national obligation for airports to produce masterplans, but local governments may apply different rules. Government nationally is currently reviewing the UK Aviation Strategy and will publish a Green Paper (the draft aviation strategy) around the end of this year. One of the topics being addressed by government is 'making the best use of existing airport infrastructure in the UK' but especially in the south of England, where capacity will be outstripped by demand soonest. Government says it is particularly keen to support sustainable growth in this geographical area. Without question this is in part because the prospects for actually delivering R3 at LHR before the capacity crunch hits are still low.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/714069/making-best-use-of-existing-runways.pdf

The airport masterplans will quantify for government what airport capacity might be available elsewhere (other than LHR) and when, if the necessary investment is made available, and if planners can be convinced to agree with the proposals. A quick read through any older forecasts and masterplans will quickly highlight that the long term forecasts they contain have become wide of the mark by a large margin. Take a read of either the most recent BOH plan or the 2006 SOU plan to see what I mean. The forecasts of the airports commission are no better, in just a few years the fallibility of even the best forecasters is already clear.

But masterplans are necessary, and as can be seen from the document just published for Southampton, clarify in detail how the airport could develop. Government has also made clear that it will be placing greater emphasis on the environmental sustainability (noise/air quality) of any growth, one reason why current restrictions are unlikely to be relaxed, whether for London airports or elsewhere.

So, expect a number of airports to release updated masterplans in 2018 to support their pitch to government for the national strategy, but don't expect all the plans to come to fruition, and don't expect anything to happen soon.

FF

SWBKCB
19th Sep 2018, 19:22
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/153776/aviation-policy-framework.pdf

Airport master plans
Currently over 30 airports across the UK have adopted master plans. They do not have a statutory basis, but the primary objective of master plans is
to provide a clear statement of intent on the part of an airport operator to enable future development of the airport to be given due consideration in
local planning processes. They also provide transparency and aid long-term planning for other businesses.

shamrock7seal
20th Sep 2018, 03:02
According to Daily Echo, Rigby have said they are targeting 1.5m pax by 2023.

Hardly the expansion that BOH is capable of. And this doesn't seem to indicate a large Jet2 base either. 1.5m is very small and well below BOH's ultimate potential, which in my opinion is 2.5m.

Look at BRS with 8/9m. BOH & SOU have the same catchment size and population as BRS. Between BOH and SOU they should be at least 6m combined by now.

LTNman
20th Sep 2018, 04:07
Good public transport links are key for airport expansion. BOH might as well be on the moon at the moment. The airport will need to attract inbound passengers who don’t want to catch a taxi to escape the delights of the terminal.

shamrock7seal
20th Sep 2018, 04:12
Absolutely agree LTNman.

Apparently there is a rumoured monorail being touted to connect the airport with the main interchange. This can't happen soon enough to be honest to relieve traffic pressure between the town centre and JP Morgan/Hospital/Castlepoint. The extension from Castlepoint to the airport is almost unhindered with open farm land between it and the airport.

However, the airport can't seem to even sustain an hourly bus service which is probably a fraction of the cost of a monorail!!!

MerchantVenturer
20th Sep 2018, 11:07
Look at BRS with 8/9m. BOH & SOU have the same catchment size and population as BRS. Between BOH and SOU they should be at least 6m combined by now.
Bristol is projecting 10 mppa by 2021 and 12 mppa by 2025 with 20 mppa the target by the early 2040s. So yes, you make a valid point about the SOU/BOH catchment.

BRS's runway at 2011 metres is not that much longer than SOU's, and BRS has no plans to extend it in the current round of consultations re the preparation of its new master plan. One major difference between SOU and BOH is likely to be in the actions of the BRS owners (and ownership has varied in the past 20 years). Since BRS was part privatised in 1997 and fully privatised in 2001 its various owners have spent well over £300 million on infrastructure expansion with much more planned both imminently and in the near future.

FrequentlyFlying
20th Sep 2018, 12:20
2023 isn’t too far off and I would think growth to 1.5million would be a shot at realism - Jet 2 base looked likely but is no given things change fast so best to not get carried away - steady growth is better than none or fairy tales - had they put 10million because of
new light railway everyone would have said ‘b@ll&cks!’ This is BOH after all - in reality the combined mega local authority may well
start planning something big once they start up ... I’d rather reality than ‘dreams’ in a masterplan

MARKEYD
20th Sep 2018, 13:38
The Bournemouth Echo today has a great photo of the terminal and surrounding apron and runway with nothing on it !! Don't realise how much space Bournemouth actually has ....

They have also started a BOH vs SOU article with many of the usual uniformed comments gunning for BOH again

pug
20th Sep 2018, 15:41
When did a Jet2 base look likely?

Plane.Silly
21st Sep 2018, 08:28
When did a Jet2 base look likely?

Nothing was ever confirmed. It's all speculation in that they've almost saturated their Northern markets and are expanding further south.
BOH stood out as the company first started at BOH and had some head office facilities until around 2005/2006. It also makes the most operational sense as they can't realistcally enter BRS/SOU and LGW, but can still capture a significant chunk of the southern market.
It would then only leave a couple extras in the likes of BRS/CWL/EXT/NQY and they'd have the whole country covered in some form

Buster the Bear
21st Sep 2018, 18:47
As I have said before, a Hurn base for 2019 was dependant upon Jet2 taking enough additional used Boeing 737-800s (and additional crew)

pug
21st Sep 2018, 22:59
I’m really not sure Jet2 have ever looked at a passenger base at BOH. I could be wrong, and I’m certainly not privy to such information, but it just doesn’t seem to be somewhere that would be on their radar. Growth with Jet2 will most likely be centred upon maximising their new bases, and trying to acquire even more slots at their destination airports. Possibly even opening more crew bases at their busier destinations with ‘brexit’ in the near future. The only source for this BOH rumour that I can find is an article including an interview with their former commercial director which was taken widely out of context.

Nakata77
22nd Sep 2018, 05:54
It’s no secret that Jet2 were targeted big time by Rigby. takes two to tango however.

regarding Ryanair S19 I would be very surprised if Ryanair doesn’t sell PFO

By the way: Southampton city centre to Bournemouth took me 51minutes with traffic today but only 1hour 9mins to Heathrow a few days ago! If BOH has any hope of attracting the Southampton and Portsmouth catchment they urgently need to address the infrastructure and road networks.

MARKEYD
26th Sep 2018, 13:07
Thats brilliant news and a welcome return of that particular destination , albeit that it stopped in 2008 when Thomsonfly 737 300 last operated the service

Its a Prague based aircraft that will operate the route .

Still a gap on Saturday morning so hopefully the Paphos service will slot in to that , summer 2019 shaping up nicely now

FrequentlyFlying
26th Sep 2018, 13:40
Great news to see some city destinations, if the yields work then fingers crossed for some German routes and maybe Sweden!
Great to see BoMo quietly rebuilding routes despite not having a fanfared masterplan launch - it’s real routes and bookable now that matter, fingers crossed Paphos is added shortly! The adiditional winter Alicante flight (making 3 weekly) came alive quietly after being unbookable for a while, excellent value seats to grab, not sure word is out that they are life! £70 returns atm, I just bought one! Great city break if you haven’t been and Tram let’s you explore all the way up
to Altea and Calpe in a day trip!

shamrock7seal
26th Sep 2018, 14:23
Excellent news. Just booked. Hopefully Brexit won't muck everything up as there is some nice growth going on at BOH now. Over the next couple of weeks perhaps more FR routes will be released for BOH.

Sharklet_321
27th Sep 2018, 01:33
Even if Paphos is not released for sale, so far it looks like BOH could process around 720,000 pax in 2019 which is the highest since 2010 when 751,000 were handled.

shamrock7seal
28th Sep 2018, 02:57
MARKEYD can you confirm if the TUI flights to Corfu are being operated by a 757 next year?

Also when will the carrier be confirmed for Antalya and Dalaman, it still says 'TBA'

rog747
28th Sep 2018, 06:31
MARKEYD can you confirm if the TUI flights to Corfu are being operated by a 757 next year?

Also when will the carrier be confirmed for Antalya and Dalaman, it still says 'TBA'

I guess if CFU is a 757 then it may be flying a W pattern - you can tell from the flight times - If the inbound arrives BEFORE the outbound then you know it has come in from CFU, and would have flown out from say LGW, then go back to CFU then return to LGW.
Have a look at LGW or say BHX/MAN - CFU flights on the same day and see if that seems obvious.
Or it may position into BOH from say LGW but that is a costly business to do those empty flights.

Turkey flights may well be given to Freebird to operate for them again as per this year, and increasingly from the outstations...

shamrock7seal
28th Sep 2018, 07:23
rog747, yes it is a W flight arriving BOH from CFU at 13:25 and departing at 14:40. It seems to be a 757 from the seat types online being offered.

rog747
28th Sep 2018, 07:55
rog747, yes it is a W flight arriving BOH from CFU at 13:25 and departing at 14:40. It seems to be a 757 from the seat types online being offered.

Cool, well done for sleuthing !

It will be a 757 from one of the 757 bases...I think BRS lose theirs for S19 so LGW or MAN?

BTW how do you check the seat plan before you book? Or have you booked already?

Cheers

shamrock7seal
28th Sep 2018, 08:26
I didn't see the plan but it was prompting me to opt for extra 2'' legroom seats (which they have on the 757 and not the 737) and also extra space seats which don't get prompted on the 738 services. It is also the only in-bound turn with 1hour 15mins on the ground which they allocate to larger aircraft. All the 737 and 320 flights have turns of 60 mins.

rog747
28th Sep 2018, 08:31
I didn't see the plan but it was prompting me to opt for extra 2'' legroom seats (which they have on the 757 and not the 737) and also extra space seats which don't get prompted on the 738 services. It is also the only in-bound turn with 1hour 15mins on the ground which they allocate to larger aircraft. All the 737 and 320 flights have turns of 60 mins.

Ah! thank you Mr Poirot....:)

stewyb
28th Sep 2018, 10:11
Ah! thank you Mr Poirot....:)

according to the TUI thread, it’s being operated by a 737, nobody knows! 😂

PDXCWL45
28th Sep 2018, 10:31
Cool, well done for sleuthing !

It will be a 757 from one of the 757 bases...I think BRS lose theirs for S19 so LGW or MAN?

BTW how do you check the seat plan before you book? Or have you booked already?

Cheers

The aircraft will be CWL based and I'd be very surprised if they based 757 at CWL so it should be a 737.

MARKEYD
28th Sep 2018, 13:30
Sorry to disappoint but its a 737 based at CWL as previously discussed

TUI do indeed have 9 extra legroom seats which are 2 " more on their 737 aircraft rows 2 / 3 / 4 DEF

The 1 hr 15 min turnaround is to allow for a longer crew change from another base

caaardiff
28th Sep 2018, 13:41

The 737 and 757 have extra space and extra legroom seating. It's rows 3DEF-5DEF (extra legroom) and 2 overwing exits (extra space) on the 737.

adfly
7th Oct 2018, 21:55
As usual, here is a summary of the coming Winter's flights (W18/19, ignore the title!), please let me know of anything (operators or flights) that I may have missed.

Canterbury Travel

Enontekio (New) - (16/12, 17/12)

Crystal Ski

Turin - 1 weekly TUI 738

easyJet Switzerland

Geneva - 5-6 weekly 319/20

Hurtigruten

Bergen - (20/11, 16/02, 27/02)

Newmarket Holidays

Lapland - 16/12 (Santa Trip)

P&O Cruises

Barbados - TUI 767/787 (02/11 (inbound only), 05/01, 26/01, 15/03)

Ryanair - (1 based 738)

Alicante - 3-4 weekly 738
Faro - 2 weekly 738
Krakow - 2 weekly 738
Malaga - 2 weekly 738
Malta - 2 weekly 738
Paphos (New) - 2 weekly 738 (from 29/10)
Tenerife South - 1 weekly 738

Santa's Lapland

Lapland - (28/11, 01/12, 08/12)

Super Break

Akureyri - 07/01, 04/02

TUI - (1 based 738)

Arrecife - 2 weekly 738
Kittila - 19/12
Las Palmas - 1 weekly 738
Paphos - 1 weekly 738 (until 14/11 and 27/02-)
Tenerife South - 2 weekly 738

Transun

Lapland - (08/12, 20/01, 14/03)

Overall

Average of between 26 and 28 weekly departures or 4 per day. ( W17/18 - 23 and 27 weekly departures, or 3-4 per day so there is some small growth overall)

stewyb
8th Oct 2018, 10:47
As usual, here is a summary of the coming Winter's flights (W18/19, ignore the title!), please let me know of anything (operators or flights) that I may have missed.

Crystal Ski

Turin - 1 weekly TUI 738

easyJet Switzerland

Geneva - 5-6 weekly 319/20

Hurtigruten

Bergen - (20/11, 16/02, 27/02)

Newmarket Holidays

Lapland - 16/12 (Santa Trip)

P&O Cruises

Barbados - TUI 767/787 (05/01, 26/01, 15/03)

Ryanair - (1 based 738)

Alicante - 3-4 weekly 738
Faro - 2 weekly 738
Krakow - 2 weekly 738
Malaga - 2 weekly 738
Malta - 2 weekly 738
Paphos (New) - 2 weekly 738 (from 29/10)
Tenerife South - 1 weekly 738

Santa's Lapland

Lapland - (28/11, 01/12, 08/12)

Super Break

Akureyri - 07/01, 04/02

TUI - (1 based 738)

Arrecife - 2 weekly 738
Kittila - 19/12
Las Palmas - 1 weekly 738
Paphos - 1 weekly 738 (until 14/11 and 27/02-)
Tenerife South - 2 weekly 738

Transun

Lapland - (08/12, 20/01, 14/03)

Overall

Average of between 26 and 28 weekly departures or 4 per day. ( W17/18 - 23 and 27 weekly departures, or 3-4 per day so there is some small growth overall)

Very informative as ever adfly, look forward to SOU analysis!

shamrock7seal
10th Oct 2018, 16:50
Bournemouth airports new brochure seems to indicate that the Ryanair Paphos flights are year-round but Ryanair has yet to release these flights for S19, anyone know more?

MARKEYD
11th Oct 2018, 08:02
Liverpool hasn't been loaded past March for Paphos as well as BOH

There is still a gap from BOH for a Saturday am flight which is long enough for a PFO rotation or something else perhaps

PPRuNeUser0176
11th Oct 2018, 10:11
FR resume DUB next summer.

MARKEYD
11th Oct 2018, 10:17
Dublin anyone , again !!!

Flights will operate 4 times a week

Tuesday , Thursday , Saturday and Sunday

Brilliant news that this is being offered again after all these years with Ryanair , next summer is shaping up very well now with Kefalonia , Heraklion and Antalya with the TUI group and Prague , Dublin and hopefully Paphos continuing , all adding to the summer schedule for 19 .

FrequentlyFlying
11th Oct 2018, 13:59
Can only see Dublin being extremely popular and a huge success for BOH and FR - given its 4 flights means then are confident on filling them and all importantly that BOH overall yields are improving - anyone mathematical work out what x4 full Dublin flights for summer will add to the PAX totals ?
looks like Rigby and FR are building are a good working relationship and rewards as such.

FrequentlyFlying
11th Oct 2018, 14:17
Answers already via press here
https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/16976381.ryanair-will-launch-a-new-route-from-bournemouth-to-dublin-next-year/

Flitefone
11th Oct 2018, 14:39
Dublin should add about 52k pax in 2019, (70k in a full year per the article). Prague should be about 26k in 2019, & Paphos 35k on the same basis. Taking the TUI growth into account, with luck 2019 should see the airport achieve the RCA goal of 20percent pax growth for the full year.

FF

shamrock7seal
11th Oct 2018, 16:09
MARKEYD it seems that the Ryanair flight to Dublin on Sundays is operated by a BOH based aircraft - but there is no space on Sundays with the single based aircraft? Does this mean we can assume there is more to be announced from BOH???

MARKEYD
11th Oct 2018, 17:36
Plenty of room on Sunday for it to be operated
The BOH based aircraft operates to Malta early then to Alicante in the afternoon
No reason why it can’t fit in the Dublin rotation after Malta mid afternoon then off to Alicante early evening and still arrive back late evening ( 2300 ish )

bob1810
11th Oct 2018, 18:11
Great news fingers crossed for more destinations.

Sharklet_321
12th Oct 2018, 16:42
New MD Stephen Gill.

Great that he is bringing some experience from Doncaster Sheffield which has been doing very well recently and has a sizeable Wizzair operation along with significant TUI services. However his management of Durham Tees Valley isnt something that fills me with confidence - that airport is seriously in trouble having lost pretty much all it’s annual pax and is hanging on by a thread to its KLM service and some oil business flights.

Dropoffcharge
13th Oct 2018, 14:30
6 new/more routes, plus an experienced replacement MD, not bad going, RCA seem to have started well since there take over of BOH, hopefully the momentum will continue.

MARKEYD
21st Oct 2018, 12:44
Have a feeling that Ryanair are only operating the Paphos route until end of March as winter only destination , same with Liverpool

I would have thought by now they would have continued the flight into summer if they were continuing with the route , there is still however a gap on Saturday morning with nothing planned yet so something may well go into its place

FrequentlyFlying
21st Oct 2018, 13:44
What are the thoughts on maybe Flight times of 4.5 hours each way to Paphos may make it not practical for the base plane and so unless winter were spectacular using a non BOH plane in summer may not add up - so winter works better logistically? Dublin / Prague is a nice short flight - maybe the return of Ibiza could work for the slot you identify MarkeyD? FR wI’ll have the data from a couple of years ago where it went right and more importantly where it went wrong for it to be dropped!

shamrock7seal
21st Oct 2018, 16:52
I'd love Ryanair to try the following routes from Bournemouth:

Seville
Verona
Venice
Barcelona (main)
Warsaw
Almeria
Berlin
Belfast
Glasgow (main)
Inverness

Ryanair's Previous destinations:

Ibiza weekly
Fuerteventura weekly
Chania weekly
Wroclaw 3 weekly
Shannon 3weekly
Nantes 3 weekly
Limoges 3 weekly
Carcassonne 3 weekly
Madrid 3 weekly
Pisa 3 weekly
Milan Bergamo 3 weekly
Paris Beauvais 3 weekly
Prestwick 12 weekly
Edinburgh 12 weekly
Marseille 3 weekly
Reus weekly
Valencia 3 weekly
Frankfurt Hahn Daily

Any of the previous destinations that could see a come back? a 2 weekly frequency may be better for routes like Madrid, Pisa, Milan etc.

Sharklet_321
22nd Oct 2018, 19:04
A perfect storm may well be brewing at Southampton which could potentially benefit Bournemouth in the years to come

stewyb
22nd Oct 2018, 19:50
A perfect storm may well be brewing at Southampton which could potentially benefit Bournemouth in the years to come

wouldn't bet on it and think we all need to take a little step back!

Planespeaking
23rd Oct 2018, 11:30
wouldn't bet on it and think we all need to take a little step back!
Yes I would agree with that, it's becoming a bit like a feeding frenzy on the SOU page. However we must acknowledge that SOU is sufferering from a severe lack of airside investment including runway constraints which limits it's commercial appeal to operators. Unless that changes we could be witnessing it's decline.

BOH has none of those problems with an ample runway,a modern underused terminal, but very poor surface access. At least BOH has the ability to grow providing investment is available to open it up to local infrastructure.

Groundloop
23rd Oct 2018, 16:50
However we must acknowledge that SOU is sufferering from a severe lack of airside investment including runway constraints which limits it's commercial appeal to operators. Unless that changes we could be witnessing it's decline.

So have you not heard about the upcoming planning application for a runway extension at SOU?

Planespeaking
23rd Oct 2018, 17:33
So have you not heard about the upcoming planning application for a runway extension at SOU?
Yes I have but there is a long way to go between a wish list and spades in the ground. Look how long it took between the applications, hearings and judicial reviews before SEN added another 1000 ft.

RW20
23rd Oct 2018, 18:28
Planespeaking
A very valid point,SOU should have moved forward when they published there 2005 master plan,but as usual nothing materialised,and so have they left it to late?
There's no guarantee that they will get planning permission,and the timescale might be academic if Flybe go under.I would say that the next few months will be critical to SOU future.

stewyb
23rd Oct 2018, 19:15
Honestly, there are some bed wetters on this forum!!

TCAS FAN
23rd Oct 2018, 19:48
RW20/Planespeaking

From what I recollect of the 2005 Masterplan it was focussed on the insane intent to build a second Terminal Building in the northeast corner with no mention of runway extension. The current airport operator has at last apparently recognised that business development is not going to be possible catering for 70 seat turboprops.

shamrock7seal
31st Oct 2018, 13:03
Bournemouth passenger statistics:

August 2018 80,517 down 6%
September 2018 76,101 down 3%
Rolling 12-months 672,000 down 3.4%

Not terrible results - the decrease is a result of less peak 'additional' flights by FR and some strike related cancelations.

Southampton seeming to be in a lot more trouble with August falling by 9% and September 6%.

Interestingly Doncaster Sheffield (where our new CEO has come from) was showing falls of 11% in August.

Exeter continues to do well growing 2% in August and 3% in September and with new double daily services to CDG and AMS this winter and 6 new routes next summer should be well ahead of BOH performance most likely breaking through 1m pax in 2019.

Dropoffcharge
31st Oct 2018, 13:35
Unless BOH plan to go longer haul and direct in the future, they themselves badly need the likes of CDG and AMS as hub routes just like Exeter.

Nakata77
31st Oct 2018, 13:53
If you look in more detail BOH-PMI did very well in September 2018 with just shy of 18,000 pax handled. Massive volumes for a single route and beat CWL-PMI.

Re CDG & AMS, I think an LCC serving these destinations a few times a week would suffice given the services from SOU-AMS. I think where BOH could excel could be on routes like Doha, Abu Dhabi & perhaps Istanbul for global connections.

MARKEYD
31st Oct 2018, 16:42
Following on from the August / Sept passenger figures , they were all down indeed to Ryanair only , not operating any extra flights in those months to Faro , Malaga and Las Palmas which made a big difference to the figures
All down to no extra aircraft available

Those flights that did operate saw high load factors as usual except the TUI " Corfu " route for some resaon which was down a bit .
Palma as already mentioned saw a wopping 18 , 000 passengers use it , just proves the demand is there

Still no sign of Ryanair continuing the Paphos route passed April at the moment , the first flight out last week went full . A gap still exists on Saturday morning though , which no doubt will be filled soon

Titan Airways are much in evidence this winter operating a lot of Santa flights in December and have also bagged the contract to operate for Hurtigruten tours to Bergen with 3 flights operating in place of Germania

Finally great to see the first BA 747 at BOH in for maintenance for a few weeks with " Gama " ( G-CIVX was seriously damaged at JFK recently in a ground accident and is being looked at here )

Captain Cargo
1st Nov 2018, 14:51
I wonder if anyone can help please.

Ryanair still show Murcia flight operating, and taking bookings, to San Javier MJV even for flights after it's closure on the 15th January when flights transfer the new Murcia International Airport (Corvera) RMU.

Wednesday the 30 October was the deadline for winter flightslot requests from airlines to be finalised, yet nothing has been published from Ryanair.

Has anyone heard anything about this and does missing the flightslots deadline mean that Ryanair are now unable to fly to Murcia?

MARKEYD
5th Nov 2018, 11:52
Ryanair have added another flight throughout the summer to Palma on a Thursday taking the route to 7 a week plus 4 flights a week from TUI

This year the only extra flights to Palma were in Aug / Sept

Thats now 7 extra flights for next summer with Ryanair , quite considerable growth from them

Noticed that Liverpool now have Paphos on sale from April with 1 flight a week using a based LPL aircraft so fingers crossed this happens from BOH on the vacant Sat am slot as well

Good to see a first visit of a TUI 787 900 series on the inbound charter from Barbados at the weekend

Dropoffcharge
6th Nov 2018, 09:00
Certainly all seems to be heading in the right direction, as mentioned, filling the Sat am slot would be a further improvement. Anyone know if is any strength behind the rumour of a jet2 announcement in Jan 19 for a 2020 base?

Falcon666
6th Nov 2018, 09:47

Ryanair still show Murcia flight operating, and taking bookings, to San Javier MJV even for flights after it's closure on the 15th January when flights transfer the new Murcia International Airport (Corvera) RMU.

Wednesday the 30 October was the deadline for winter flightslot requests from airlines to be finalised, yet nothing has been published from Ryanair.

Has anyone heard anything about this and does missing the flightslots deadline mean that Ryanair are now unable to fly to Murcia?

https://murciatoday.com/favourable-environmental-report-for-corvera-airport_706904-a.html

Might be an idea to follow this link if you haven’t already.

Captain Cargo
6th Nov 2018, 12:02
Thanks Falcon666. I do keep in touch through all the reports here in Murcia, but nothing had been confirmed by Aena or Ryanair,

shamrock7seal
7th Nov 2018, 03:06
MARKEYD the additional FR Palma flight is actually 1st June to 26th September not the full summer schedule season of April-October. Granted it's an increase but only of two months. I would prefer to see them adding an additional Palma flight on Sunday to make the service daily.

Nakata77
8th Nov 2018, 06:16
Ryanair seem to have loaded the BOH-PFO flights for S19 as follows:

Tuesdays DEP PFO 13:55 ARR BOH 16:40 // DEP BOH 17:05 ARR PFO 23:50
Saturdays DEP BOH 06:30 ARR PFO 13:15 // DEP PFO 13:40 ARR BOH 16:25

Tuesday uses a Paphos based aircraft, Saturday fills the 'gap' that existed on the BOH based aircraft

Sharklet_321
8th Nov 2018, 06:43
Excellent news!

Also to 'shamrock7seal' above: Ryanair have read your post and added a Sunday Palma service using a Palma based plane (!) for the same period as the extra Thursday flight so now 8 flights per week to and from Palma with Ryanair Jun to Sept.

MARKEYD
8th Nov 2018, 06:50
Ryanair have indeed added an extra Palma flight on Sunday now making the service daily

This now takes Palma to 8 flghts a week and TUI 4 flights a week , 12 in total

At the moment as it stands Bournemouth has an additional 13 flights a week from next summer and 6 new or reintroduced destinations

TUI have launched there winter and summer programme today , as it looks there are no new destinations at the moment just a carbon copy of next summer , although the Paphos service continues throughout the winter now , with just a short break in January for 6 weeks

Nothing to worry about as I am sure if 2019 sell well then new destinations could be added

All moving in the right direction

FrequentlyFlying
8th Nov 2018, 07:36
Real growth, expansion of routes and new/re-introduced destinations.

As a regular user of BOH, my perception is there has been a change to a larger uptake of the inflight sales / drinks etc on FR flights - used to be just a few years back, foil wrapped rolls appearing from bags with a shared bottle of water immediately after take off, now the tea trolley takes a bloody age to get to me :)

Be interesting to know if this is a reality - inflight sales increases on top of the ‘optional’ pre flight extra sales on BOH flights.

The demographic changes in Bournemputh have been huge - decreasing population age - one of only a handful in country - universities becoming massive - that maybe that change from blue rinse flights to a lower average age is brining changes ... any insiders be interesting to know if I’m just drinking too much caffeine or the routes look to be generating more for FR?

shamrock7seal
8th Nov 2018, 09:28
If no other additions for 2019 then the airport could be looking at around 815,000 passengers for the full year, a nice increase on 2018.

FrequentlyFlying
14th Nov 2018, 18:32
anyone know what the A330-34 was doing flying so low over my house in Bournemouth? EC LXA EVE072P - it was bloody noisy and low - followed it as thought it really odd as we generally don’t have anything flying that low apart from airshow as we are not on the landing run. Looked it up said 2000 feet so probably just it was larger jet but it stayed at that height and swung round the new forest.? Looked up say a it’s Evelop!! Air https://www.evelop.com/

possibleconsequences
15th Nov 2018, 09:37
As you say.it's a matter of perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4XFUc6175k

shamrock7seal
15th Nov 2018, 11:42
FrequentlyFlying: it was a charter flight that positioned in from Lisbon but details in terms of where it went and how many pax perhaps someone else could share more info?

canberra97
15th Nov 2018, 22:34
As you say.it's a matter of perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4XFUc6175k

Did you have to post a video of what has to be one of the worst ''so called'' comedies ever to air on television!

Now I'm taking a wild guess that you also enjoy the equally hideous ''Mrs Browns Boys'' :-)

pug
15th Nov 2018, 22:40
Maybe off topic. But quite how ‘canberra97’ can compare the excellent Father Ted, to the atrocious ‘Mrs Browns Boys’ is beyond me.

On topic: BOH appears to be doing very well for a small regional airport, long may it continue. Still not sure where the jef2 rumours came from.

FrequentlyFlying
16th Nov 2018, 08:04
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x1136/8b072c42_3f05_4d21_a545_675ea3579a2b_a9a86d5449426d424db9113 a2764954d9aca16f0.png
https://www.facebook.com/291279951855/posts/10155668656281856/

adfly
16th Nov 2018, 08:41
Good find! Jersey looks to be Mon/Fri/Sat and Guernsey Sat only, both operated by an E135. Presumably w patterns off the existing NWI/GLA/EDI flights.

Dropoffcharge
16th Nov 2018, 08:57
Great news this, pure coincidence, what with the current flybe issues, or more to it?? Maybe more announcements of possible routes to the likes of EDI, GLA and ABZ in the future perhaps??

shamrock7seal
16th Nov 2018, 08:58
Embraer jets will be a welcome alternative to the turboprops at Southampton

SWBKCB
16th Nov 2018, 09:13
Great news this, pure coincidence, what with the current flybe issues, or more to it?? Maybe more announcements of possible routes to the likes of EDI, GLA and ABZ in the future perhaps??

Rather than being a strategic move against BE, I think this is more a tactical move to fill up the schedule of the new jets

Sharklet_321
16th Nov 2018, 09:29
Bournemouth seems to be on a roll right now. Rigby are starting to prove themselves.

Southampton will most likely double down to try and secure some kind of LCC operation with all this news and the uncertainty of Flybe.

MARKEYD
16th Nov 2018, 14:24
Great news to get Jersey back again and to have Guernsey which hasn’t been operated since Dan Air / JEA days !!

Its definitely the right sized aircraft for the route , Flybe had loads around 40/45 so with some good marketing ( already got Jersey travel service selling hotels and flights ) it should work

This will take the number of new destinations or reinstated services next year to 8 , incredible going in such a short space of time

Well done Rigby group

possibleconsequences
16th Nov 2018, 15:05
Pug.. i concur entirely about the comedy.

Great news about the flights too

Jerbourg
16th Nov 2018, 17:27
[QUOTE=MARKEYD;10312900]Great news to get Jersey back again and to have Guernsey which hasn’t been operated since Dan Air / JEA days !!

(/QUOTE]

Blue Islands used to op Jetstreams on the GCI/BOH route...

jetstream7
16th Nov 2018, 18:35
FrequentlyFlying: it was a charter flight that positioned in from Lisbon but details in terms of where it went and how many pax perhaps someone else could share more info?

Left Bournemouth to Islamabad as E9573, before heading back to the UK (Gatwick) via Baku as E9574, then positioning to Madrid as EVE075P.

canberra97
16th Nov 2018, 21:30
Maybe off topic. But quite how ‘canberra97’ can compare the excellent Father Ted, to the atrocious ‘Mrs Browns Boys’ is beyond me.

On topic: BOH appears to be doing very well for a small regional airport, long may it continue. Still not sure where the jef2 rumours came from.

Might be off topic but there is a comparison as the same production company are involved in both of those atrocious programmes, and the use of ''excellent'' in reference to Father Ted, I think not as it's just as atrocious and painful to watch as the other example!

Back on topic

Good news regarding Loganair and Bournemouth although it's not going to have much of an impact to the current Blue Islands schedule at SOU especially as it's only a very limited summer schedule using aircraft on a W pattern from the Channel Islands but nonetheless a great addition to the network profile from Bournemouth.

Blakedean
17th Nov 2018, 19:34
Might be off topic but there is a comparison as the same production company are involved in both of those atrocious programmes, and the use of ''excellent'' in reference to Father Ted, I think not as it's just as atrocious and painful to watch as the other example!

Back on topic

Good news regarding Loganair and Bournemouth although it's not going to have much of an impact to the current Blue Islands schedule at SOU especially as it's only a very limited summer schedule using aircraft on a W pattern from the Channel Islands but nonetheless a great addition to the network profile from Bournemouth.
Next you’ll be saying Keith Lemon is a comedy genius.....

shamrock7seal
18th Nov 2018, 03:16
Despite all the rumours about TUI adding additional aircraft for S20 including new 787 services nothing has been announced. However EXT has announced a new W19 service and DSA has announced a new S20 787 service already.

canberra97
18th Nov 2018, 04:54
Next you’ll be saying Keith Lemon is a comedy genius.....

Absolutely not he is totally hideous and not funny in the slightest.

To quote you when you say ''Next you'll be saying''.....I haven't said anything other than my total dislike for the programmes that I have already mentioned.

With suggestions like that your coming across as the comedian and not a very good one at that.

But in saying that and your determination to continue this conversation isn't the phrase ''going off topic'' relevant in this case!

rog747
18th Nov 2018, 07:00
Despite all the rumours about TUI adding additional aircraft for S20 including new 787 services nothing has been announced. However EXT has announced a new W19 service and DSA has announced a new S20 787 service already.

The only TUI long haul from BOH are the few cruise ship charters on P&O for Hays Travel (1 or 2 a year) - certainly up to end 2020
They were planning a Xmas shopping 4 night package to NYC but with the dire £ v $ exchange rate that was canned.
Hays have not got the stomach to try things like Palmair/Bath Travel once successfully did in the past such as the day trips to Cairo Rome and Prague (These trips pretty much sold out as soon as they became on sale)
A few summers ago Hays did some package holiday and Cunard cruise charters from BOH to PMI VCE and BCN using BA Cityflyer and Titan but lack of advertising saw them not selling well - never to be repeated

BOH is not going to see TUI 787 short haul ops -

more flights from regions for some TUI packages have been given over to 3rd party airlines such as Freebird Air Europa Norwegian Volotea and Alba Star

FrequentlyFlying
18th Nov 2018, 07:58
Given the current climate of uncertainty and exchange fluctuations/risks Rigby are clearly doing something right in their relationship with FR or the yields have been improving for them to retry or reopen routes and long may it continue, well done to all concerned. Maybe TUI are just not in the place to expand as thought atm, the Jet2 ‘story’ is the only real unevent and that isn’t Rigbys fault more a whisper being megaphoned on here, am as guilty as anyone for turning hope into belief. Loganair announcement is probably more something to encourage further small announcements and of course keep working FR for some more slow steady growth.
Been a good first year for Rigby!

MARKEYD
18th Nov 2018, 13:35
Where has the rumour come from about TUI and extra aircraft for 2020 , bit like the Jet 2 one I think !!

TUI have only put a carbon copy of 2019 on sale or help future bookings and I doubt very much they will add anything to any UK airport until they see how the destinations added to a lot of regional airports fare for next summer first

Egypt sold very well from Exeter a few years ago but not so much from BOH for some reason , and indeed they pulled the programme half way through the winter season as it was that bad for sales

However things do change in booking trends with the public , look at TUI pretty much going full season to Paphos next winter

Hopefully the airport may consider a lounge being added in the not to distant future in the terminal , plenty of space
I would hope though first , Rigby group have a look at the car park and get some gypies in to tarmac the whole lot , dreadful to walk through all that mud , holes and wet grass with your luggage . Better still build a cheap metal multi storey over the winter when it's quiet ( wishful dream I know ! ! )

shamrock7seal
18th Nov 2018, 14:22
There is a Facebook movements group where the rumours originated for both Jet2 and TUI long haul.

According to the airport website the car park is undergoing ‘improvement work’ whatever that means.

Also, there appears to be some sort of construction going on in between the departures and arrivals halls where currently there is just a brown field site. Perhaps this is for the executive lounge?

rog747
19th Nov 2018, 06:16
The one thing SOU has is the train station and decent road links - BOH has neither, the airport is approached by a country lane and continues to shaft its passengers by charging them a drop off/pick up fee which is not only a rip off but obstructive in my view to airport development and easy access which imho is off putting and crass.
BOH could usurp SOU in getting rid of this drop charge.

I would say at this time with no mainline carriers at BOH that a Lounge would benefit.
Would the likes of FR and TOM pax pay for Lounge access?
Some maybe would as a treat for their Hols but I doubt it would be taken up by that many to be viable.
I would say the airport needs to sort out its infrastructure, car parks etc rather than toy with vanity projects.

Re the BOH-SSH canx flights - I recall was this was the first season to fly there from BOH to Egypt? but sadly coincided with the effects of the Revolution and the downfall of the successive MBH Govt.
Since the MetroJet crash no SSH flights from the UK at all.

Dropoffcharge
19th Nov 2018, 08:02
The one thing SOU has is the train station and decent road links - BOH has neither, the airport is approached by a country lane and continues to shaft its passengers by charging them a drop off/pick up fee which is not only a rip off but obstructive in my view to airport

BOH could usurp SOU in getting rid of this drop charge.

Likewise Bristol has neither to speak of also, so although desirable to have, not essential it seems.

Think you'll find the drop off charge for 30mins at SOU is in fact more than at BOH anyway.

rog747
19th Nov 2018, 08:36
Likewise Bristol has neither to speak of also, so although desirable to have, not essential it seems.

Think you'll find the drop off charge for 30 mins at SOU is in fact more than at BOH anyway.

Thanks - I have only used the train at SOU which is a superb link as long as SWR is running (but not very well today!)

tibbs87
19th Nov 2018, 15:26

Think you'll find the drop off charge for 30mins at SOU is in fact more than at BOH anyway.

You are correct the drop off fees at Southampton are £2 up to 15 mins, £3.50 for 15-30mins & £5.50 for 30mins to an hour :o ! Although you can get free drop off in the long stay car parks up to 30 mins, it's more of a distance to the terminal. So people saying they'd rather go to Southampton over BOH's £3 are going to lose money (especially with the extra fuel cost and hassle getting onto the often congested M27...). It's a no brainer to go via Bournemouth.

Gulf Julliet Papa
19th Nov 2018, 16:25
Both Bristol and Southampton offer viable alternatives (public transport!!!!) to paying a drop off fee. Bournemouth doesn't, therefore the drop off fee is effectively unavoidable and people feel more ripped off

Dropoffcharge
19th Nov 2018, 16:37
Both Bristol and Southampton offer viable alternatives (public transport!!!!) to paying a drop off fee. Bournemouth doesn't, therefore the drop off fee is effectively unavoidable and people feel more ripped off

Bristol''s "viable" option is no different to Bournemouth''s.....train to town centre, then bus shuttle to the Airport, it's also actually a quicker transfer than Bristol''s option as well.

Gulf Julliet Papa
19th Nov 2018, 16:46
Bristol''s "viable" option is no different to Bournemouth''s.....train to town centre, then bus shuttle to the Airport, it's also actually a quicker transfer than Bristol''s option as well.
​​​​​​
Bournemouth Station > Bournemouth Airport = 45 minute journey, one bus every two hours
Bristol TM Station > Bristol Airport = 25 minute journey, one bus every 10 minutes

Not sure how you can claim that BOH is better

stewyb
19th Nov 2018, 17:06
​​​​​​
Bournemouth Station > Bournemouth Airport = 45 minute journey, one bus every two hours
Bristol TM Station > Bristol Airport = 25 minute journey, one bus every 10 minutes

Not sure how you can claim that BOH is better

Because a few new/returning routes have been announced and all of a sudden its the best thing since sliced bread in certain peoples eyes! True BOU has things going for it but also will never compete with BRS & SOU on others!

MARKEYD
19th Nov 2018, 17:18
The drop off fee i am afraid was the only thing that helped kept the airport active and substainable when Ryanair suddenly pulled the plug for 3 / 4 months during the winter period a few years ago now

There were days when there were no flights at all . Of course its not a perfect situation charging to drop customers off i absoultly agree on that one , but the airport has to make money its not a charity for Mother Teressa , and has bills to pay like every UK airport thses days
Who knows , if more flights and revenue come in then it could be possible they drop the charge a little ( it wont go away , thats for sure )
The airport is not blessed with transport links , never has been , and i would imagine the bus service is the next item to be looked at hopefully !!

Regarding the Sharm flights they started back in the hey day of summer 2010 with Thomson and did very well , operating throughout winter and summer until end of winter 2013 . The service re started very briefly in winter 2014 but only lasted for a very short season , loads dropped off and that was that

Sharklet_321
20th Nov 2018, 01:05
There is a plan which is being actively investigated by BCP council to link up with Chinese investment to develop a monorail between Poole, Bournemouth City Centre (Lansdowne/Interchange area), JP Morgan HQ & RB Hospital, Castlepoint, Bmth Uni and then the Airport (for park & ride & business park). But how soon this can be provided will be the key to unlocking the public transport links the airport really needs.

Given the current passenger throughout, public transport to the airport is not viable. But linking up with a park and ride scheme for the 4,000 staff at JP morgan and the airport business park which employs 2,000 staff, it would start to look more interesting.

Groundloop
20th Nov 2018, 16:14
There is a plan which is being actively investigated by BCP council to link up with Chinese investment to develop a monorail between Poole, Bournemouth City Centre (Lansdowne/Interchange area), JP Morgan HQ & RB Hospital, Castlepoint, Bmth Uni and then the Airport (for park & ride & business park).

This will no doubt turn out to be yet another of Bournemouth Council's fantasy projects that will never materialise. The cost for a route of that length would be astronomical.

stewyb
20th Nov 2018, 16:40
There is a plan which is being actively investigated by BCP council to link up with Chinese investment to develop a monorail between Poole, Bournemouth City Centre (Lansdowne/Interchange area), JP Morgan HQ & RB Hospital, Castlepoint, Bmth Uni and then the Airport (for park & ride & business park). But how soon this can be provided will be the key to unlocking the public transport links the airport really needs.

Given the current passenger throughout, public transport to the airport is not viable. But linking up with a park and ride scheme for the 4,000 staff at JP morgan and the airport business park which employs 2,000 staff, it would start to look more interesting.

Is it April 1st?

The Nutts Mutts
20th Nov 2018, 17:22
They've teamed up with a consultant called Lyle Lanley. He's sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook, and by gum it put them on the map!

I for one can't wait to see it in action.

canberra97
20th Nov 2018, 20:27
They've teamed up with a consultant called Lyle Lanley. He's sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook, and by gum it put them on the map!

I for one can't wait to see it in action.

Your post has absolutely made my day it definitely made me laugh and even more so because I bet half the people reading it haven't a clue what your referring to LOL

Monorail, Monorail, Monorail, say that in your head with the appropriate voices and it makes you laugh even more!

Now do excuse me as I'm off to visit YouTube so that I can see that classic episode again :-)

FrequentlyFlying
20th Nov 2018, 20:54
To be fair to BBC it is usual one particular Councillor who has these er visions ... the vast majority of the Council ignore him for what his comments are ... ice rinks, this is the 3rd monorail and no, not sure if he watched the simpsons but hey they predicted the unlikely future president of the USA back in 2000 would be Donald T Rump! Basically when news is in short supply the Echo go this person for some er stories.:::: the rest of the people of Bournemouth think it would be more advantageous to work on the Bus Companies to time a service to meet the very few flights that take off or land each day as well as serve the ppopular business park - it isn’t rocket science - it’s quite simple and for them to travel on the road that is already in position.

Captcargo
21st Nov 2018, 13:54
Probably when hell freezes over.

shamrock7seal
21st Nov 2018, 13:56
Hahaha never heard anything more ridiculous than this. A monorail to the airport when even a regular bus service isn’t in place ...

Buster the Bear
21st Nov 2018, 23:06
Jet2 rumour was true. The problem is, that until Stansted becomes saturated, further bases in southern England will just have to wait.

Falcon666
22nd Nov 2018, 13:03

Ryanair have added Murcia International now from mid January

southside bobby
22nd Nov 2018, 15:18
"STN saturated"...well that is now after 2035 as STN gained approval last week with a cap removal to go to 43m pax per year & one of the airport partner supporters was Jet2 looking toward facility growth to support their own planning & future with confidence at STN...so someways to go yet perhaps.

southside bobby
27th Nov 2018, 14:04
Jet2 CEO today states no short to medium plan to open new bases "strategy to grow existing bases...Fleet to be at least 103 a/c for Summer`19".

shamrock7seal
1st Dec 2018, 11:14
Rumour on the SOU thread that their KLM service is going after 26th March. This must be quite a blow to SOU particularly when they have just released their master plan.

Its no secret that Rigby wanted an Amsterdam service from BOH in competition with SOU so this will be a major blow to those plans. If SOU can’t sustain the route it will be more difficult to attract any service from BOH to AMS surely.

Sharklet_321
1st Dec 2018, 14:31
Poor transfer traffic traveling from SOU to AMS: very unlikely to be better from BOH despite its inbound potential for tourism and foreign students

Nakata77
1st Dec 2018, 15:36
Maybe they’re switching to BOH from SOU?

TCAS FAN
1st Dec 2018, 16:18
Nakata77

No chance, if KLM cannot make SOU pay, no way will BOH. I still remember Eurodirect ATPs,BOH/AMS, on a good day 5 PAX!

MARKEYD
1st Dec 2018, 20:19
With due respect Eurodirect demise was over 23 years ago , so much has changed since then , fast forward the Internet and the way people book flights ,
5 pax was quite possible then but Bournemouth was hardly even talked about or even heard about

Flybe were the last to try Amsterdam and loads were reasonably ok but we all no they were never serious about BOH

I very much doubt KLM would appear at Bournemouth given what’s just happened

Rigby group seems to be doing a pretty impressive turn around of the airport and are concentrating quite rightly on key areas of growth , let’s wait and see

Nakata77
2nd Dec 2018, 12:01
Eurodirect! Theres a blast from the past... Their fares were something extortionate though even at todays prices. Something like GBP140 one-way, and that was the cheapest possible. No wonder only a handful of customers on each flight.

Knife-Edge
2nd Dec 2018, 21:08
Well I recall travelling to Amsterdam from BOH and back in a pretty full ThomsonFly B737-300 in 2005. If the memory serves me right they were operating about 3 rotations per week(?).

KLM, through their subsidiary Buzz, were due to fly Amsterdam (amongst several other routes) from Bournemouth in 2003.... before being taken over Ryanair who promptly dropped the plans.

Dropoffcharge
3rd Dec 2018, 01:46
If SOU can’t sustain the route it will be more difficult to attract any service from BOH to AMS surely.

Could it be posiible that SOU's operating hours, with it's restrictions is not working out ideal for KLM?? AMS would require an early morning departure and late evening return would it not??

shamrock7seal
3rd Dec 2018, 08:05
If that is the reason for the poor schedule then if I was BOH airport I would be bending over backwards to entice them to switch. Surely the catchment area of BOH and SOU needs KLM.

They withdrew from LPL after two years also due to lack of onward connections and competition from easyJet after a little google research.

Sharklet_321
3rd Dec 2018, 08:14
Surely Rigby can do a deal with KLM at Norwich (they have a large engineering facility there) to get KLM to consider fly from Exeter and Bournemouth?

If they can make Inverness work they can damn sure make BOH work it has a million overseas tourists every year.

shamrock7seal
13th Dec 2018, 01:01
October 2018 Passenger Performance:

67,637 down 2% versus previous year
Rolling 12-months 671,000 versus 696,000 (Just 0.2% of total UK air passengers)

Biggest gainers:

Paphos up 32%
Alicante up 15%
Ibiza up 21%
Mahon up 5%
Tenerife up 6%

Biggest losers:

Malta down 14%
Faro down 10% (SOU down 20%)
Naples down 2%
Malaga down 7% (SOU down 10%)
Murcia down 3%
Palma down 3% (SOU down 24%)
Lanzarote down 15%
Las Palmas down 6%

MARKEYD
13th Dec 2018, 12:30
November / December passenger figures should see an increase finally with the addition of

Ryanair

Paphos x 2 flights a week new
Alicante x 1 extra a week

Extra 3 Lapland flights

TUI have changed the carrirer to Tenerife next summer from Air Europa to Norwegian using B 738 aircraft

Sharklet_321
13th Dec 2018, 12:52
Will be good to see a regular Norwegian movement.

What about the Turkish flights?

rog747
15th Dec 2018, 14:55
Will be good to see a regular Norwegian movement.

What about the Turkish flights?

Not so good if TUI are doing more and more of their flights out to 3rd party airlines - Turkey is Freebird - makes me wonder if the BOH TUI base will continue

MARKEYD
15th Dec 2018, 15:16
TUI have always had a certain amount of there work subbed out to 3 rd party carriers at all UK airports

Look at LGW for example, 2 Norwegian aircraft are permanently doing a lot of there work this summer and indeed next year as well , they just don’t have enough aircraft in the summer months , hence Sunwings of Canada being used at some of there bases in the summer months

Looking at the BOH base , the based aircraft is fully committed next summer as usual , with a CWL aircraft also operating on a W pattern on one day

TUI only have 3 flights subbed out next year to Turkey and Tenerife and this was down to an expansion of the operation out of BOH
Hardly a sign of pulling out , in fact I would say the opposite

PDXCWL45
15th Dec 2018, 15:33
Not so good if TUI are doing more and more of their flights out to 3rd party airlines - Turkey is Freebird - makes me wonder if the BOH TUI base will continue
It's actually a good thing as it means they are using those aircraft to expand and eventually if the business case is there they'll look to expand the base and add an aircraft. That's what they did at CWL used 3rd party carriers to expand and then added a 3rd based aircraft from next summer. Also for spotters it provides a bit of variety.

sealo0
21st Dec 2018, 16:59
BOU seems to be getting very poplar diverts from LGW

Mike

Jn14:6
22nd Dec 2018, 09:11
Diverting to Bourges???
Or did you mean BOH?

MARKEYD
9th Jan 2019, 21:07
Very interesting article in
“. anna.aero “. ( sorry can’t seem to get a link ) with the new MD and his asperations for Bournemouth in the next few years

Key points made were 2019 should see an extra 150,000 passengers pass through the airport due to the new routes starting this year

Double the passenger numbers in the next 5 yrs

Bulk of new growth however thinks will come in 2020

Looking at Amsterdam and Paris again , Dublin starts this year

Reintroduction of cargo flights

All looked a well balanced plan and nothing to ambitious I think , good luck

shamrock7seal
10th Jan 2019, 09:58
MARKEYD when does the CAA release their Nov and Dec stats. BOH seems to be late in turning in their data all the time.

SWBKCB
10th Jan 2019, 16:15
Looking at Amsterdam...

He'll need to shake the "Magic slots" tree...

AeroSpark
10th Jan 2019, 17:07
Looking ay holidays for October half tem, TUI/First Choice websites show the Lanzarote flights outbound and in both at the same time. Is this a website glitch or are they operating two aircraft this year?

yeo valley
10th Jan 2019, 17:36
The stats from BRS is a lot slower than BOH stats.

Sharklet_321
10th Jan 2019, 20:11
The article on anna.aero seems to show that SG can certainly articulately talk about BOH's potential. I feel good about him.

rog747
11th Jan 2019, 08:03
Looking ay holidays for October half tem, TUI/First Choice websites show the Lanzarote flights outbound and in both at the same time. Is this a website glitch or are they operating two aircraft this year?

In Oct after half term possible switch to a W pattern for winter series? (Thus flight home arrives before the departure)

LGWAlan
11th Jan 2019, 12:21
In Oct after half term possible switch to a W pattern for winter series? (Thus flight home arrives before the departure)

Just the change from the summer to the winter timetable

Flitefone
16th Jan 2019, 17:08
More from ANNA on RCA, worth the read:

https://www.anna.aero/2019/01/14/one-to-one-with-william-pearson-cco-regional-city-airports/?utm_source=anna.aero+newsletter&utm_campaign=529fb20414-anna_nl_160119&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ecdbf41674-529fb20414-86860489#respond

MARKEYD
16th Jan 2019, 20:10
Looks like more interesting developments happening for 2019

New Premium lounge opens 1 June airside

Self handling of flights starts in April

New retail outlets like Costa and Navigation pub opening to bring them in line with Norwich airport , probabaly though a change of branding from the current restaurant

Have to say though Rigby group are certainly making there mark at BOH very quickly far more than the MAG ever did and to have a dynamic MD will most definatly help

Sharklet_321
16th Jan 2019, 20:58
This new MD has good connections with Wizzair. Fingers crossed they return.

MARKEYD
23rd Jan 2019, 12:32
Still no November passenger figures in , however, December have just been published

Bournemouth saw 34 , 770 passengers use the airport up finally by 9 % !!

Strange set of figures as all the Canaries are well down averaging about 64 % or 123 passengers per flight , wondering if these are possible wrong figures ?

Ryanair new service to Paphos averaged about 145 passengers per flight which was twice a week , while Alicante and Malaga performed very well with an extra flight added to the ALC service this season

Geneva with Easy jet saw just over 4 ,000 use the service in Dec , down slightly on last year but nothing to worry about , can't compare with SOU as no figures available yet

No figures available for all 7 Santa charters either, which could also push the numbers up a bit

Other news is that Hays travel is operating 2 day trips to Venice in April using a TUI B 738 , although not unusual, this is being organized by Stephen Bath of Bath Travel who sold out to Hays 3 years ago. He is testing the water again this time in cooperation with Hays travel themselves who are selling the seats . If this proves popular, which i don't doubt, more flights could be operated in the Autumn and next year . In the hay day of day trips from BOH over 7,000 passengers booked in a season

Hays have also added a Barbados cruise charter again for Jan 2020 using a TUI B 787 , this year's trip sold out within 4 months of going on sale

FFHKG
23rd Jan 2019, 13:29
Flew BOH to ALC last Saturday and was very impressed with the airport despite the sprint to the aircraft in the rain. Facilities are impressive for the size of the airport, and staff were helpful and cheerful. Security was a real pleasure compared to MAN. Certainly deserves to develop a wider range of destinations.

sealo0
24th Jan 2019, 08:06
Hi

I see the Bath family is at it again with a day trip to Venice at Easter with a 737-800. Best of luck to him.

Mike

Dropoffcharge
24th Jan 2019, 09:39
Certainly deserves to develop a wider range of destinations.
Hopefully this will indeed happen, the future looks alot more promising now, unlike the seemingly stagnating days under MAG ownership. RCA together with the airports new MD have made a good start on things since its take over. BOH has a massive potential for growth in all areas of aviation, which will be tapped into by RCA, time will obviously tell but things are slowly heading in the right direction at the moment.

DoC

rog747
24th Jan 2019, 14:06
Hi

I see the Bath family is at it again with a day trip to Venice at Easter with a 737-800. Best of luck to him.

Mike

Wicked - thanks for posting otherwise I would not have noticed this sooner - just booked 3 seats as a family surprise - awesome !!

Last time with Bath/Palmair we did Cairo and Luxor day trips - good old days on a Monarch 757 - This time a 738 of TOM but hot brekkie and hot dinner both ways included - Bath are selling 175 seats out 189 on both flights - I guess the other seats are for Bath Family/staff, tour guides and Press etc....

bbear737
7th Feb 2019, 21:04
Dropped the folks off at the airport today and 3 of the 5 flights for the day were all scheduled to depart within 5 minutes of each other. Fairly predictably there were long queues for security and supposedly a 15 minute wait on the apron in the wind before being able to board. Surely spreading the departure times would suit all- pax, crew and the airport.
Logic and reasoning- it’ll never catch on.

N707ZS
7th Feb 2019, 21:09
Possibly only employing the staff for a short period of time works out cheaper than staff all day.

bbear737
8th Feb 2019, 07:42
N707ZS I understand having the flights grouped so as to be able to focus the staff requirement but two flights at 1220 and one at 1225 when you only have 5 flights all day is a little excessive.

FFHKG
8th Feb 2019, 09:43
Yes, it makes thhings simple for staffing at BOH, but if flights were originating elsewhere (Geneva for example) it may well be down to efficient aircraft utilization and European slot availability. If BOH want the business, they need to meet the needs of the aircraft operators even if it creates pressure in security screening area. Just be thankful that the airport is open and can accommodate the the airlines.