PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham-7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

xanda_man
19th Mar 2020, 11:20
* A message from Birmingham Airport *

Those of you living in communities close to the airport will have noticed the unprecedented reduction in aircraft activity resulting from the situation surrounding the coronavirus pandemic. This is expected to last for some time yet. However, I did want to draw your attention to two requests we have received as a result of the current situation:

1. As part of a contingency programme to enable patients to be rapidly transferred to hospitals within the region, the military will have a force of Puma helicopters available for such duties.
In poor weather conditions, helicopter pilots will need to undertake what is known as a ‘cloud break’ procedure, where the aircraft needs to safely descend until the pilot has visual contact with the ground. For helicopters en-route to local hospitals, that procedure will involve using the standard approach procedures for Birmingham Airport – effectively following the ILS approaches until visual contact is made with the ground, at which point they will fly directly to their destination hospital.

The military has requested that training flights be undertaken within the next few days so that pilots can practice these procedures.

2. With airlines having grounded their majority of their fleets, opportunities for pilots to undertake the required number of flying hours needed to maintain their licences are severely reduced. Some of our airline partners have therefore requested that a number (as yet unknown) of training flights be permitted to facilitate this. We expect the numbers of both types of operations to be very small in comparison to normal operations, but given that normal flying operations have virtually ceased, they may well be more noticeable to residents than would ordinarily be the case. We would be grateful if you were able to make this information available to the communities you represent. Please do get in touch of you have any questions.

Thank you for your co-operation in these extraordinary times.

Have seen this doing the rounds of social media however can anybody cite an official source? I see no press release from BHX nor anything on their official channels.

Think people are jumping on the 'scare-mongering' bandwagon but I happy to be proven wrong. I live within 2 miles of BHX and have seen nothing yet

ROC10
27th Mar 2020, 17:24
Mortuary being built at BHX

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-temporary-mortuary-being-built-at-birmingham-airport-11964675

davidjohnson6
27th Mar 2020, 17:30
If the NEC potentially becomes a field hospital and there is to be a morgue on the grounds of BHX, will it still be possible for BHX to continue to function as a commercial airport with even a few flights per day ?

ATNotts
28th Mar 2020, 08:50
If the NEC potentially becomes a field hospital and there is to be a morgue on the grounds of BHX, will it still be possible for BHX to continue to function as a commercial airport with even a few flights per day ?

Can't see why not. As far as I know they're talking about using a hangar, and the NEC (I assume the Area hall) isn't in any way connected to the airport. However by the time those facilities are needed, I really can't see which, if any regular scheduled services may be operating at all.

ssflyer
11th Apr 2020, 13:23
Emirates are planning a daily A380 flight from 1st May, according to this list.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/290747/emirates-planned-01may20-31aug20-operations-as-of-0300gmt-11apr20/?fbclid=IwAR1gSZTHVHmRzXmbr2KdDiqtbRSKX6dz1COsh-fZznnI4lN0-VyGGidSM9w
Hopeful.me thinks
SS

BHX5DME
11th Apr 2020, 13:27
Emirates are planning a daily A380 flight from 1st May, according to this list.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/290747/emirates-planned-01may20-31aug20-operations-as-of-0300gmt-11apr20/?fbclid=IwAR1gSZTHVHmRzXmbr2KdDiqtbRSKX6dz1COsh-fZznnI4lN0-VyGGidSM9w
Hopeful.me thinks
SS

It says BHX 2 X Daily from 01.05.20
Very little chance in my opinion !

spacedog
11th Apr 2020, 16:11
It says BHX 2 X Daily from 01.05.20
Very little chance in my opinion !

Very lucky to get 1 flight a day by 1st May.
Firstly we will still be under lockdown. The government advice on travel is no no no.
When the lockdown is lifted EK will resume services to the main hubs firstly LHR then Man followed by one of the two in Scotland. Remember it takes a lot of people to fill a A380 or 777-300. Emirates would rather fly 3 full 380 into LHR than 5 or 6 1/4 full aircraft to the regions.

BHX5DME
11th Apr 2020, 16:31
Firstly we will still be under lockdown. The government advice on travel is no no no.
When the lockdown is lifted EK will resume services to the main hubs firstly LHR then Man followed by one of the two in Scotland. Remember it takes a lot of people to fill a A380 or 777-300. Emirates would rather fly 3 full 380 into LHR than 5 or 6 1/4 full aircraft to the regions.

Maybe Tim Clark likes to commute from his local airport (BHX) rather than go South or North :-)

Flying Wild
11th Apr 2020, 19:40
I wonder if they'll use the quiet time to finally fix the ILS GP on R33...

Navpi
12th Apr 2020, 06:39
Things in my view will not be the same until we have a vaccine and people are 100% confident to fly knowing they are not going to end up up on a ventilator within 3 days of arriving at their destination. That is now years away.

There is then the economic aspect which is absolutely dire.

If you take Dubai as an example yes there will be some travel but this will surely be discretionary for people having no option but to travel for work or possibly to sort out personnel affairs.

IMO we are facing an economic earthquake.

Assuming you still have a job or indeed your business hasnt gone bust why on earth would you then take a chance of sitting in a metal tube with 500 other passenger in close proximity with a high likelihood that at least a dozen have got Covid that will then be circulated via the air con system ?

This isnt going away. The measures we have in place are simply to ensure the NHS isnt swamped with patients this virus will be doing the rounds for months.

JET2 TUI and RYR will "apparently" restart in June.

Where on earth are they going to fly to Spain , Italy!
SERIOUSLY ?

ATNotts
12th Apr 2020, 08:16
Things in my view will not be the same until we have a vaccine and people are 100% confident to fly knowing they are not going to end up up on a ventilator within 3 days of arriving at their destination. That is now years away.

There is then the economic aspect which is absolutely dire.

If you take Dubai as an example yes there will be some travel but this will surely be discretionary for people having no option but to travel for work or possibly to sort out personnel affairs.

IMO we are facing an economic earthquake.

Assuming you still have a job or indeed your business hasnt gone bust why on earth would you then take a chance of sitting in a metal tube with 500 other passenger in close proximity with a high likelihood that at least a dozen have got Covid that will then be circulated via the air con system ?

This isnt going away. The measures we have in place are simply to ensure the NHS isnt swamped with patients this virus will be doing the rounds for months.

JET2 TUI and RYR will "apparently" restart in June.

Where on earth are they going to fly to Spain , Italy!
SERIOUSLY ?

The data suggests that many European countries are getting the thing under control, bad news is that so far as I can see the UK is still far from out of the woods, so much as Brits may want to travel again, and resort destinations open up gradually to foreign tourists, there may be the very real prospect that those destinations will not be open to Brits because of where the UK is with regard to controlling the outbreak.

Emirates starting again on 1st May to me is pure pie in the sky, perhaps a better chance of the leisure carries restarting mid June. We are driving on holiday in June, or at least hoping to, but for as long as the French won't allow Joe public to enter the country unless returning home or working in essential services we have two hopes - Bob Hope and no hope!!

CEJM
12th Apr 2020, 11:58
The data suggests that many European countries are getting the thing under control, bad news is that so far as I can see the UK is still far from out of the woods, so much as Brits may want to travel again, and resort destinations open up gradually to foreign tourists, there may be the very real prospect that those destinations will not be open to Brits because of where the UK is with regard to controlling the outbreak.

At the moment it is to early to tell if the government is getting this thing under control or not. It takes between 2 and 3 weeks from lockdown before the curve should start to flatten. So realistically we should start seeing the results of the lockdown in the next week or so.

Scottie Dog
12th Apr 2020, 13:05
Duplicate post

CEJM
12th Apr 2020, 13:17
If you compare the UK to Spain and Italy then they both saw the curve starting to flatten between 2 and 3 weeks in lockdown. However the lockdown regulation in the UK are less stringent then in both those countries, which will have an impact.

My reply to ATNotts was based on his assumption that we are far from out of the woods yet. With only barely three weeks in lockdown it is difficult to draw a conclusion if cases will start to fall in the next couple of days.

Just to add that I only fly airplanes for a living so far from an expert on Covid-19!

Pistonprop
12th Apr 2020, 15:31
My thoughts are basically the same as Navpi's. The virus will be around for quite sometime yet. When people eventually begin to travel it will initially be to domestic destinations, i.e. not too far from home just in case! Hotels and restaurants will slowly begin to trade again but catering mainly to a domestic market. The airlines, I fear, may have to wait a great deal longer.

jon01
15th Apr 2020, 09:15

Emirates restart now put back to 2nd June

ATNotts
15th Apr 2020, 09:20
Emirates restart now put back to 2nd June

No surprise there then! I wonder how much additional cash flow that false start of 1st May has bought them.

GayFriendly
15th Apr 2020, 17:34
I doubt EK or QR will be back at BHX for the foreseeable future, if at all. They rely on filling their planes with connecting pax. With borders all over the world closed or at best restricted for a long time to come, I just don't think they'll be able to fill a 380 or 777. Not saying nobody will be flying over the summer but there will be nowhere near the numbers to make it economical from anywhere except London.

Nobody can predict what is going to happen but if I was forced to make a prediction for BHX, I think the best we can hope for (making major assumptions that the virus has peaked and travel is permitted into Europe without too many restrictions and there is no second wave of infection here or abroad) is a small Jet2 programme, limited EI, FR and Wizz, limited LH/KL/AF and some domestics if LM, GR etc survive, others like LX, SK, may come back 2021.

If the virus cannot be bought under better control over the next month or two, maybe no flying at all from BHX and the vast majority of UK airports until the autumn?

BHX5DME
15th Apr 2020, 18:56
I doubt EK or QR will be back at BHX for the foreseeable future, if at all. They rely on filling their planes with connecting pax. With borders all over the world closed or at best restricted for a long time to come, I just don't think they'll be able to fill a 380 or 777. Not saying nobody will be flying over the summer but there will be nowhere near the numbers to make it economical from anywhere except London.

Nobody can predict what is going to happen but if I was forced to make a prediction for BHX, I think the best we can hope for (making major assumptions that the virus has peaked and travel is permitted into Europe without too many restrictions and there is no second wave of infection here or abroad) is a small Jet2 programme, limited EI, FR and Wizz, limited LH/KL/AF and some domestics if LM, GR etc survive, others like LX, SK, may come back 2021.

If the virus cannot be bought under better control over the next month or two, maybe no flying at all from BHX and the vast majority of UK airports until the autumn?

EK now saying daily from 1 May with 380 and second flight a month later
we shall see

Pistonprop
15th Apr 2020, 21:11
People talk about the virus being brought under control. Just explain to me how? Don't kid yourselves, it will be around for a long time yet. If people start to travel again before there's either an effective vaccine, or medication to combat the virus if you catch it, it will take no time at all for a second wave to strike.

crewmeal
16th Apr 2020, 06:30
we shall see

EK seem to be changing their schedules every day.

I agree with GayFriendly, I can't see the the airport picking up anytime soon. Regarding EK I feel LHR will have the majority of flights with MAN being next. Remembering the last thing of folk's minds is travel. Many are furloughed or even worse will lose their jobs. This may even have an effect on Christmas travel.

eggc
16th Apr 2020, 20:21
This may even have an effect on Christmas travel.

I don't have any doubt about that. Many things in life will get nowhere near like we are used to until a vaccine is found, and that wont be in 2020 :(

Pistonprop
16th Apr 2020, 21:29
Did you know that vaccines for existing flus only work for an average of 44% of those who take it? It's more effective for the young (but still only about 65%) and less effective for the elderly (about 16%). Interesting that.

ATNotts
17th Apr 2020, 08:30
Did you know that vaccines for existing flus only work for an average of 44% of those who take it? It's more effective for the young (but still only about 65%) and less effective for the elderly (about 16%). Interesting that.

It's well known that as the seasonal flu virus mutates constantly the annual vaccine is a "best guess" for the upcoming winter based upon the experience of the southern hemisphere winter, and i guess vice versa. Covid-19 may, or may not behave in the same way. However eventually public policy will have to become less risk averse, and this will probably come about through the development of anti-viral treatments rather than necessarily through vaccines.

Whatever it's all but inevitable that life will change medium to long term, and an indication of that, for the commercial aviation industry, is the forecast that those areas of the country, such as Crawlry that are very dependent upon commercial aviation will suffer economically worse than many other areas.

peterhr
17th Apr 2020, 14:04
It's well known that as the seasonal flu virus mutates constantly the annual vaccine is a "best guess" for the upcoming winter based upon the experience of the southern hemisphere winter, and i guess vice versa. Covid-19 may, or may not behave in the same way. ...
There are already three flavours of Corvid-19 (A, B & C). Interesting the USA is suffering with A, Canada and most of europe has B ... I did see a world map somewhere...

I'm just wondering if it's going to just kill off those who are most susceptible to the infection ... yet another little evolutionary step.

inOban
17th Apr 2020, 14:25
The three variants are very similar
Just two mutations separate A and B, and one more to C, which reached Europe via Singapore. It seems more stable than flu and I'm sure that the scientists will create a vaccine which blocks all them.

bhxboy
29th Apr 2020, 15:00
Additional flights from September 2020.
Edinburgh & Glasgow increase to 3 daily (except Saturday 2) - 20 flights per week.
Belfast International increases to Sunday 4, Monday 4, Tuesday 3, Wednesday 4, Thursday 4, Friday 5, Saturday 3 - 27 flights per week.
Further increases for the winter, from the 25 October, to Belfast International:
Sunday remains 4, Monday increases to 6, Tuesday increases to 4, Wednesday increases to 5, Thursday remains 4, Friday increases to 6, Saturday remains 3 - 32 flights per week.
All away based aircraft!

ib26uk
29th Apr 2020, 20:40
BHXBOY,

great news about easyJet - Aside from Naples, Do you know of any other proposed new routes into BHX from easyJet ?

Thank you

bhxboy
29th Apr 2020, 21:14
ib26uk,

I have no knowledge of any new easyJet routes - like many, I live in hope and wait!

jon01
1st May 2020, 08:06
Airport hours reduced again

08:00 - 23:59 until 30th June

Flying Wild
1st May 2020, 09:46
Airport hours reduced again

08:00 - 23:59 until 30th June
But will they finally use this time to fix the glidepath on R33?

Gentle Climb
1st May 2020, 11:34
I'm not sure that there is any great need to do it. The Rnav approach is normally good enough, the Loc/Dme is available. Many aircraft have integrated approach navigation that turns these in to virtual ILS anyhow. The minima is higher than a cat 1 ILS but when the visibility is bad enough for it to be an issue then a switch to RW15 with a small tailwind is considered. I have done that a few times.
How many aircraft have failed to get in to BHX since the G/P became u/s? I don't know but I cant think it is that many.

ATNotts
1st May 2020, 13:15
I'm not sure that there is any great need to do it. The Rnav approach is normally good enough, the Loc/Dme is available. Many aircraft have integrated approach navigation that turns these in to virtual ILS anyhow. The minima is higher than a cat 1 ILS but when the visibility is bad enough for it to be an issue then a switch to RW15 with a small tailwind is considered. I have done that a few times.
How many aircraft have failed to get in to BHX since the G/P became u/s? I don't know but I cant think it is that many.

That sounds very reasonable, after all when vis. is low, then the wind is generally light and switching to RW15 should be no great issue. One wonders therefore why BHX doesn't put the RW33 ILS on Ebay, and just retain the facility on '15'? Being a bit facetious there perhaps!

OltonPete
1st May 2020, 22:00

Without having any actual stats I would say the number of diversions due to the lack of 33 ILS is still in single figures but whether this is just luck rather than judgement I can't say but in my opinion most issues arise around the non-based airlines which is understandable.

There have been many delays, go-arounds and holding and certainly enough to ask questions why it hasn't been resolved and I don't like BHX's attitude to when it is mentioned either but that is another story.

Wizz restart Budapest tomorrow twice weekly which should make it a busy day with KLM, Ryanair Dublin and an Aegean repat flight assuming they all operate.

Pete

bhxboy
3rd May 2020, 09:14
Looks like Naples has been withdrawn.

Flying Hi
3rd May 2020, 11:25
Wizz restart Budapest tomorrow twice weekly which should make it a busy day with KLM, Ryanair Dublin and an Aegean repat flight assuming they all operate.

Pete[/QUOTE]

All incoming Pax checked in country of origin, tested and found to be virus free?
Oh look Ma, here comes the Second Wave.
Forget Safety, show me the money!

inOban
3rd May 2020, 12:54
Compared with the amount of disease circulating in this country, any arriving now is trivial. I assume that most coming from eastern Europe are agricultural workers, and will be living on site, so automatically quarantined.

ATNotts
3rd May 2020, 15:26
Looks like Naples has been withdrawn.

Surprising? I think not. What would be surprising is if anything but a handful if leisure orientated services are back up and running before September. I hope to be surprised, however I'm not holding my breath.

eggc
3rd May 2020, 21:40
Surprising? I think not. What would be surprising is if anything but a handful if leisure orientated services are back up and running before September. I hope to be surprised, however I'm not holding my breath.

I am not sure we'll see that ! Rumblings are 2 week isolation when anyone, including Brits, return to the UK. If other countries do it you'll have to spend 2 weeks in your hotel room before you can go near a beach or bar. A two week holiday would take 6 weeks ! Who an earth is going to leave the country ? or be prepared to go another country faced with isolation on arrival ? We need some sort of health passport to remove these potential measures.

Buster the Bear
3rd May 2020, 22:14
End game is a vaccine passport.

ATNotts
4th May 2020, 07:04
End game is a vaccine passport.

Without wishing to have this thread drift towards another covid-19 one, a vaccine, despite Trumps claims, is unlikely to be available for the general population for a long time, if immunity through antibodies is proven, then an immunity passport may be more likely in the short term. If some really effective drugs are found that treat patients and keep them out of ICUs that could also help re-open travel. On a more positive note, watching and reading the German media there are moves towards re-opening borders more widely, not just restricting movement to essential workers in several European countries, and the UK ought to follow that lead, though obviously with a time lag as we're not a the same stage in the trajectory of infections.

I just can't see how package holidays by air can really work if some of the social distancing rules aren't relaxed. Even if they were relaxed, can you imagine the cost of travel insurance for healthy passengers, let alone for people with co-morbidities?

jon01
16th May 2020, 08:59
Airport hours increased slightly to allow a nightly freight flight to Munich, new hours are 08:00 - 01:15 between 17 May - 27 May

FTL631 departs to Munich at 01:15 and returns at 08:00 using a Flightline Spain SW4

davidjohnson6
16th May 2020, 14:54
Ryanair's route from Birmingham to Girona is no longer on sale - possibly has been cancelled

jon01
17th May 2020, 09:10
we shall see

Not looking so good now:

Emirates to Permanently Decommission 40% of Airbus A380 Fleet (https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2020/05/17/exclusive-emirates-to-permanently-decommission-40-of-airbus-a380-fleet-axe-nearly-a-third-of-cabin-crew-and-pilots/)

'Emirates will resume regularly scheduled passenger flights to just nine destinations on May 21 but has walked back plans to restart services to as many as 150 cities by mid-July. All flights are being operated by Boeing 777 aircraft and Sir Tim has said the future for Emirates’ fleet is the Airbus A350 and Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft.'

Navpi
17th May 2020, 15:43
Looking Grim....

SWBKCB
21st May 2020, 15:34
The 'old' Monarch hangar to be used to convert the RAF's 737 'Wedgetails'

Announcing the selection on 20 May, Boeing said the narrowbodies will be prepared for military service using a hangar at Birmingham airport which was previously occupied by Monarch Aircraft Engineering (MAEL). “This work will provide good jobs for the many skilled aerospace engineers and mechanics in and around Birmingham,” says Boeing Defence UK managing director Anna Keeling. STS expects to employ around 90 new personnel in support of the activity, which will also involve Boeing staff with experience of prior Wedgetail conversions performed for Australia, South Korea and Turkey.

https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/boeing-picks-sts-for-uk-wedgetail-conversions/138461.article

Rutan16
21st May 2020, 17:06
The 'old' Monarch hangar to be used to convert the RAF's 737 'Wedgetails'

https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/boeing-picks-sts-for-uk-wedgetail-conversions/138461.article

And the MOD will royally screw up a competent platform by going the usual bespoke route with so called UK IT and management systems rather than the tried and tested Australian, Indian and Turkish models

Expect cost overruns late entry and numerous problems and incompatibilities !

Oh and lack of compatible inflight refuelling as our Voyagers haven’t been fitted with a flying boom system as a “cost saving” by the MOD .

Even those three ancient RC135S acquired at great and unspecified cost remain totally reliant of the US and France for extended task operations - Classic

crewmeal
24th May 2020, 07:58
Apart from the current based a/c have there been any flown in for storage? BOH MAN PIK SEN NWI all seem to be full up. Or has BHX missed the boat?

BHX5DME
24th May 2020, 08:45
Apart from the current based a/c have there been any flown in for storage? BOH MAN PIK SEN NWI all seem to be full up. Or has BHX missed the boat?

Nothing at all stored at BHX

OltonPete
24th May 2020, 11:59

Perhaps nobody asked especially if they prejudged due to BHX's reputation.

It would have certainly looked empty if the Flybe aircraft had ben returned to the lessor.

Update

Emirates - July removed from sale now August (mAN & GLA remain July the last time I looked)

Wizz - Most routes revised to week 1 of June but Budapest continues

Eurowings - Dussledorf pushed back again now 5th June three a week (Fr, Sun & Mon)

Lufthansa - Frankfurt 15 June but showing 3 daily was daily. No doubt that won't happen

Turkish - 10 June now - seems to be on a rolling basis

Air France - Friday 12 June HOP 190 (Mon, Wed, Fri & Sun) - hopefully this one might happen

easyjet - No change Tue, Thu, Sat BFS 16 June

KLM - no change 6 or 7 weekly as now

Ryanair - no change 4 a week Dublin until the end of June when ALC & AGP showing

Occasional flights

AI113 operates today from Delhi as a Boring 77W which is a repat flight

Nordwind 77W en route from CAN via SVO and due again tomorrow which I assume is PPE

Pete

jon01
25th May 2020, 07:09
Adding to the above list

Loganair - Aberdeen from 01 June (4 x weekly)

jon01
26th May 2020, 16:14
The £500 million expansion programme for Birmingham Airport has been put on hold (https://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport/2020/05/26/birmingham-airports-500-million-expansion-work-put-on-hold/)

OltonPete
26th May 2020, 20:15
Adding to the above list

Loganair - Aberdeen from 01 June (4 x weekly)

Another one - realistic again, Brussels Airlines won't be back until at least September and should be on the Airbus which is not a surprise having dumped Cityjet

Pete

wanna
27th May 2020, 09:22
Dont forget Blue Islands, operating the BHX - JER services daily from the 29th June.

crewmeal
1st Jun 2020, 15:52
Turkish airlines -

Antalya – Birmingham eff 10JUN20 2 weekly 737-800, new route (Previously scheduled from 03JUN20)

(Courtsey of Routesonline - How can this be if the UK govt still advise against all travel abroad?

jon01
9th Jun 2020, 05:48
Turkish airlines -

Antalya – Birmingham eff 10JUN20 2 weekly 737-800, new route (Previously scheduled from 03JUN20)

(Courtsey of Routesonline - How can this be if the UK govt still advise against all travel abroad?
This route and Istanbul will not be starting on 10 June

Airline updates:

Aer Lingus Dublin and Cork from 1 August, Shannon from 3 September

Air India planning to restart on 16 July

Aurigny Guernsey showing from 1 September

Austrian from 14 July

BH Air from 2 July

Blue Islands Jersey was from 20 July, now from 31 Aug

Brussels Airlines from 1 September

easyJet Glasgow from 1 July, Edinburgh from 2 July and Geneva showing 3 p/w from 7 September. Naples bookable from 17 May 2021

Emirates showing a daily B777 from 1 August, 2 x daily A380 from 1 September

Jet2 from 15 July

Lauda Vienna from October

Loganair Inverness from 24 July, gradual increase to daily from 3 August

Lufthansa showing Munich from 1 August

Qatar showing from 25 October

Ryanair restart 1 July to most destinations with a much reduced 'summer' schedule. Some Spanish flights start earlier

SAS showing from 16 August

Swiss showing from 1 September

TUI from 11 July

Turkish Istanbul from 16 July, Antalya from 8 August

Turkmenistan from 26 July

Vueling showing from 13 July

Wizz Air operating more routes from 3 July, but Romania not open to UK flights until 16 July at the earliest. Poznan removed from booking

Already operating: Air France 4 p/w E190 Paris increasing mid July, easyJet Belfast 3 p/w, Eurowings DUS 2 p/w, Ryanair one daily DUB & limited Alicante, Barcelona & Malaga, KLM 1 daily, occ PIA, Lufthansa Frankfurt 5 p/w, Wizz Air Budapest 2 p/w and Loganair 2 p/w Aberdeen (via Bristol)

All subject to change, there will be changes!

jon01
11th Jun 2020, 08:05
The airport will be back to 24 hour ops from 30 June 06:00

Navpi
13th Jun 2020, 19:42
The frequencies here are appalling 3 /4 a week as opposed to daily. Doesn't look great.

Fly757X
13th Jun 2020, 20:40
The frequencies here are appalling 3 /4 a week as opposed to daily. Doesn't look great.

That's the same across the board, apart from the smaller regionals such as LDY (Which in all honesty, didn't have much to lose anyways.)

ATNotts
14th Jun 2020, 07:33

What exactly do you expect???? Where have you been for the last 12 weeks?? The UK has quarantine in force, most of Europe is only just opening up, and even then business travel will be limited, hubs quiet as much of the world still have restrictions on arrivals. NZ for example bans them.

chaps1954
14th Jun 2020, 11:58
I think what you will find is that most operators will start at 25% to 50% and build as traffic does as it will at most airports.

OltonPete
19th Jun 2020, 10:44
This route and Istanbul will not be starting on 10 June

Airline updates:

Austrian from 6 July

BH Air from 17 July

Blue Islands Jersey from 20 July

easyJet Glasgow from 1 July, Edinburgh from 2 July and Geneva showing 3 p/w from 6 July, but more likely from September. Naples bookable from 17 May 2021

Emirates showing a daily A380 from 1 August

Jet2 from 15 July

Lauda Vienna from 1 August

Loganair Inverness 3 p/w from 10 July

Lufthansa showing Munich from 6 July

Ryanair restart 1 July to most destinations with a much reduced 'summer' schedule. Earlier starts for Alicante from 21 June, Barcelona 23 June and Malaga from 22 June

Swiss showing from 1 September

TUI from 11 July

Turkish Istanbul and Antalya from 1 July

Turkmenistan from 3 July

Wizz Air operating more routes from 3 July, but Romania not open to UK flights until 16 July at the earliest. Poznan removed from booking

Already operating: Air France limited E190 Paris, easyJet Belfast 3 p/w, Eurowings DUS 2 p/w, Ryanair occ DUB, KLM 1 daily, occ PIA, Lufthansa Frankfurt 3/4 p/w, Wizz Air Budapest 2 p/w and Loganair Aberdeen (Some via Bristol)

Wizz Poznan was bookable last Saturday for Tuesday of this week but was removed from sale last Sunday until 4th July and then a few days later it was removed completely.

This route was always optimistic after ending once before as it operated Wroclaw - BHX - Poznan - BHX - Wroclaw.

Without any delay Wroclaw times and days of operation (July only Mo/Fr) also changed so it seems at least this route return on 3rd July rather than 4th but Poznan has gone for good. Cluj still showing for next Wednesday but who knows.

Lauda/Ryanair Vienna per Airlineroute now cancelled to 25 October

The more surprising routes restarting at the moment are Ryanair Alicante on Sunday, Malaga on Monday and Barcelona on Tuesday as I expected them to get pushed back a few weeks.

Pete

valefan16
19th Jun 2020, 10:48
Wizz Poznan was bookable last Saturday for Tuesday of this week but was removed from sale last Sunday until 4th July and then a few days later it was removed completely.

This route was always optimistic after ending once before as it operated Wroclaw - BHX - Poznan - BHX - Wroclaw.

Without any delay Wroclaw times and days of operation (July only Mo/Fr) also changed so it seems at least this route return on 3rd July rather than 4th but Poznan has gone for good. Cluj still showing for next Wednesday but who knows.

Lauda/Ryanair Vienna per Airlineroute now cancelled to 25 October

The more surprising routes restarting at the moment are Ryanair Alicante on Sunday, Malaga on Monday and Barcelona on Tuesday as I expected them to get pushed back a few weeks.

Pete

Ryanair are operating the first EMA flight also this weekend from Alicante. Doesn't Spain open on Sunday which may be the reason.

GayFriendly
19th Jun 2020, 21:30
Sorry if this has been reported already, Lauda flights to Vienna due to be operated by Ryanair from BHX this summer have been cancelled. They are currently due to restart on 25th Oct with Lauda flight numbers.

Liverpool the same as BHX, Edinburgh and Stansted operate from 2nd July and throughout next winter.

Hopefully OS will return to BHX so the VIE route stays

OzzyOzBorn
20th Jun 2020, 01:55
Isn't the Laudamotion VIE base being closed down entirely? Reports suggested this at the end of May.

chaps1954
20th Jun 2020, 13:23
No change of mind and aircraft returning to VIE

OltonPete
20th Jun 2020, 14:11
Sorry if this has been reported already, Lauda flights to Vienna due to be operated by Ryanair from BHX this summer have been cancelled. They are currently due to restart on 25th Oct with Lauda flight numbers.

Liverpool the same as BHX, Edinburgh and Stansted operate from 2nd July and throughout next winter.

Hopefully OS will return to BHX so the VIE route stays

Austrian - 29th September daily per their booking engine.

BHX shows up now but all sold out until 29th Sept.

Loganair - Aberdeen reducing to 2 a week for a couple of weeks and still outbound via Bristol. Inverness delayed to 24 July.

Blue Island - Jersey won't be starting 29th June - 31st Aug by the look of it

Pete

Drive4it
28th Jun 2020, 17:48
Tui 17th/24th July 2020 BHX/CFU removed from tui website today. Any ideas?

Thanks

jon01
29th Jun 2020, 09:35
Airline updates:

Aer Lingus Dublin, Cork and Shannon from the winter schedule

Air India One weekly Amritsar from 18 Sep

Aurigny Guernsey from 12th October

Austrian from March 2021

BH Air due to return 21st May 2021

Brussels Airlines from 25th October

easyJet Geneva from 27th October. Naples bookable from 17 May 2021

Lauda Vienna from 25th October

PIA TBC

Qatar showing from 25th October

Swiss showing from 25th October

Turkmenistan from 30th September

Wizz Air Poznan and Bucharest removed from booking

Already operating:
Aer Lingus Commuter: Belfast City
Air France
Blue Islands: Jersey
easyJet: Belfast, Glasgow & Edinburgh
Emirates: Reduced B77W service
Eurowings Dusseldorf
Jet2
KLM
Loganair: Aberdeen & Inverness
Lufthansa: Frankfurt & Munich
Ryanair: Base restarted 1 July to most destinations with a much reduced 'summer' schedule. Some Spanish flights started earlier
SAS
TUI: Restarted 11 Jul to some destinations, Spanish flights were halted soon after though
Turkish: Limited IST
Vueling: Operating a reduced Barcelona service
Wizz Air: All routes except Poznan. Hungary flights suspended from 5 Sep

OltonPete
1st Jul 2020, 22:04
Airline updates:

Austrian from 14 July

BH Air from 17 July

Blue Islands Jersey was from 20 July, now from 31 Aug

easyJet Glasgow from 1 July, Edinburgh from 2 July and Geneva showing 3 p/w from 7 September. Naples bookable from 17 May 2021

Emirates showing a daily B777 from 1 August, 2 x daily A380 from 1 September

Jet2 from 15 July

Lauda Vienna from October

Loganair Inverness from 24 July, gradual increase to daily from 3 August

Lufthansa Night-stopping FRA returns 1 July. Munich from 1 August

Ryanair Base restarts 1 July to most destinations with a much reduced 'summer' schedule. Some Spanish flights start earlier

Swiss showing from 25 October

TUI from 11 July

Turkish Istanbul from 16 July, Antalya from 8 August

Turkmenistan from 26 July

Already operating: Air France 4 p/w E190 Paris increasing mid July, easyJet Belfast 3 p/w, Eurowings DUS 2 p/w, Ryanair one daily DUB & limited Alicante, Barcelona & Malaga, KLM 1 daily, occ PIA, Lufthansa Frankfurt, Wizz Air Budapest 2 p/w and Loganair 2 p/w Aberdeen (via Bristol)

Excellent day today nearly 60 movements but a low key start to the new easyjet Glasgow although going by the seat-maps pax barely made double figures but at least Belfast is leading the way.

Kyiv flight today with UAI and Nordwind 77W departed after a night-stop as well as the Ryanair base staring up again.

Mixed in with some freight and GA it was certainly a decent start to the month.

Up next tomorrow is the first easyjet Edinburgh - BHX

Drainage work at the 33 end was supposed to start Monday to sort the ILS problem which is positive.

TUI Greek flights prior to 15th July seem to have been removed as expected.

Pete

OltonPete
11th Jul 2020, 12:06
Excellent day today nearly 60 movements but a low key start to the new easyjet Glasgow although going by the seat-maps pax barely made double figures but at least Belfast is leading the way.

Kyiv flight today with UAI and Nordwind 77W departed after a night-stop as well as the Ryanair base staring up again.

Mixed in with some freight and GA it was certainly a decent start to the month.

Up next tomorrow is the first easyjet Edinburgh - BHX

Drainage work at the 33 end was supposed to start Monday to sort the ILS problem which is positive.

TUI Greek flights prior to 15th July seem to have been removed as expected.

Pete

TUI - 06:40 Palma departed 06.58 this morning the first regular flight in nearly 4 months for them at BHX but is the only flight today as Kos had to be cancelled as well as Heraklion on Sunday

Next Flights are Tuesday Palma, Wednesday Rhodes, Thursday Arrecife, Friday bonanza time, Palma, Tenerife and Corfu. Kos starts Saturday week, Heraklion Sunday week.

A bit of a gap but Saturday 25 will see Alicante and another Rhodes, Sunday 26th will see Zante and Malaga, Monday 27 July Las Palmas then Friday 31st a third Palma.

Veuling - Next Monday and Friday lunchtime twice a week and Sunday added in August

Jet2 - They restart with an excellent Wednesday schedule (15th) but more enforced reductions - Faro, Funchel, Paphos, Larnaca, Burgas and Reus all cut for July or longer. The first 4 all planned for the first week in August. Burgas and Reus have gone until next May.

Turkish - Back this Thursday coming with the afternoon service and the same time Friday and then Saturday and Monday morning. Antalya has been pulled from sale

Aegean - Harsh but BHX has completely been removed from the booking engine.

Aer Lingus - All delayed with Dublin now 17 August and Cork 20 August and Shannon September

Loganair - Inverness now 31 August and Aberdeen remains twice a week.

Austria - delayed now winter as it stands

Air France - Still no Wednesday service and this Sunday has none but two flights Sunday week but next Friday is back to one

Ryanair - Bratislava and Malta showing next Thursday and Chania and Corfu Saturday week

easyjet - - no change until Edinburgh going daily Monday week.

KLM - Next Friday a 738 is showing and Monday week but remains daily at the same times with Hopper on Tuesday and Wednesday

Lufthansa - Frankfurt double daily remains in the week

Emirates - Remains 1st September

Over 80 movements Thursday but boosted by priority freight for JLR.

Pete

OltonPete
19th Jul 2020, 11:25
TUI - 06:40 Palma departed 06.58 this morning the first regular flight in nearly 4 months for them at BHX but is the only flight today as Kos had to be cancelled as well as Heraklion on Sunday

Next Flights are Tuesday Palma, Wednesday Rhodes, Thursday Arrecife, Friday bonanza time, Palma, Tenerife and Corfu. Kos starts Saturday week, Heraklion Sunday week.

A bit of a gap but Saturday 25 will see Alicante and another Rhodes, Sunday 26th will see Zante and Malaga, Monday 27 July Las Palmas then Friday 31st a third Palma.

Veuling - Next Monday and Friday lunchtime twice a week and Sunday added in August

Jet2 - They restart with an excellent Wednesday schedule (15th) but more enforced reductions - Faro, Funchel, Paphos, Larnaca, Burgas and Reus all cut for July or longer. The first 4 all planned for the first week in August. Burgas and Reus have gone until next May.

Turkish - Back this Thursday coming with the afternoon service and the same time Friday and then Saturday and Monday morning. Antalya has been pulled from sale

Aegean - Harsh but BHX has completely been removed from the booking engine.

Aer Lingus - All delayed with Dublin now 17 August and Cork 20 August and Shannon September

Loganair - Inverness now 31 August and Aberdeen remains twice a week.

Austria - delayed now winter as it stands

Air France - Still no Wednesday service and this Sunday has none but two flights Sunday week but next Friday is back to one

Ryanair - Bratislava and Malta showing next Thursday and Chania and Corfu Saturday week

easyjet - - no change until Edinburgh going daily Monday week.

KLM - Next Friday a 738 is showing and Monday week but remains daily at the same times with Hopper on Tuesday and Wednesday

Lufthansa - Frankfurt double daily remains in the week

Emirates - Remains 1st September

Over 80 movements Thursday but boosted by priority freight for JLR.

Pete

Emirates September reduced from double daily to 5 a week A380 - does not operate Tuesday and Thursday. This is a recent change as Airlineroute reported Glasgow, Gatwick and Manchester reductions last night but not BHX

Some changes but not a huge amount until August

easyjet - Edinburgh is now daily and some time changes to Belfast in the week but nothing in terms of frequency changes

Wizz - No new flights but some day changes - Warsaw changes Monday and Friday 18.35 inbound from this Monday and Bucharest Monday, Wednesday and Friday and slightly earlier inbound 20.15. Wroclaw and Krakow stay Monday and Friday and Budapest now in the evening Tuesday and Saturday 19.10 inbound. Cluj remains Wednesday and Sunday leaving Thursday without Wizz.

Lufthansa - the change to Cityline seems to be for the foreseeable future - as it is showing the same double daily in the week, Saturday morning outbout and two inbounds on a Sunday and this is the same for August. Munich still daily CRJ9 in August although the first flight was showing Air Dolomitee

Jet2 - They do add some flights next weekend, Heraklion and Arrecife Saturday with Dalaman Sunday

TUI - Heraklion starts today and Rhodes next Saturday (4 flights) then Malaga and Zante Sunday Week, Las Palmas Monday Week, Tenerife Tuesday week and Palma Friday week.

Ryanair - Not noticed anything other than Bratislava next Thursday but a Monday Ibiza in August has been added making 3 a week and a Wednesday Arrecife making 3 but no sure how long they have been bookable but Ibiza has never operated on a Monday in previous years.

Air France - Two today and next Friday both HOP but still no Wednesday service

KLM - No change although the 738 is showing the next two Mondays

Loganair, Vueling, Turkish appear to be the same although Turkish Antalya bookable next year from June

Air India was showing for 1st August but not holding my breath on that one

Pete

Navpi
19th Jul 2020, 15:05
Re clarification of Emirates where Manchester was referenced.

Reported earlier that its 3x A380 a day Ex MAN from Sep1st due high load factors.

OltonPete
19th Jul 2020, 15:20
Re clarification of Emirates where Manchester was referenced.

Reported earlier that its 3x A380 a day Ex MAN from Sep1st due high load factors.

Airlineroute (https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/292549/emirates-sep-2020-mar-2021-service-reductions-as-of-2215gmt-18jul20/)

The above link does not mention BHX or Newcastle but is timed at 23.30 and was probably not in GDS at that time.

BHX double daily in September when compared to the UK Governments list of recommended countries where you can visit simply didn't add up unless something significant changed worldwide.

Added info although Manchester still shows 2 daily in September BHX has been restored to double daily every day but I still think this is unlikely to happen unless something drastically changes for the good. Another case of website jitters?

Pete

OltonPete
12th Aug 2020, 20:02
Emirates September reduced from double daily to 5 a week A380 - does not operate Tuesday and Thursday. This is a recent change as Airlineroute reported Glasgow, Gatwick and Manchester reductions last night but not BHX

Some changes but not a huge amount until August

easyjet - Edinburgh is now daily and some time changes to Belfast in the week but nothing in terms of frequency changes

Wizz - No new flights but some day changes - Warsaw changes Monday and Friday 18.35 inbound from this Monday and Bucharest Monday, Wednesday and Friday and slightly earlier inbound 20.15. Wroclaw and Krakow stay Monday and Friday and Budapest now in the evening Tuesday and Saturday 19.10 inbound. Cluj remains Wednesday and Sunday leaving Thursday without Wizz.

Lufthansa - the change to Cityline seems to be for the foreseeable future - as it is showing the same double daily in the week, Saturday morning outbout and two inbounds on a Sunday and this is the same for August. Munich still daily CRJ9 in August although the first flight was showing Air Dolomitee

Jet2 - They do add some flights next weekend, Heraklion and Arrecife Saturday with Dalaman Sunday

TUI - Heraklion starts today and Rhodes next Saturday (4 flights) then Malaga and Zante Sunday Week, Las Palmas Monday Week, Tenerife Tuesday week and Palma Friday week.

Ryanair - Not noticed anything other than Bratislava next Thursday but a Monday Ibiza in August has been added making 3 a week and a Wednesday Arrecife making 3 but no sure how long they have been bookable but Ibiza has never operated on a Monday in previous years.

Air France - Two today and next Friday both HOP but still no Wednesday service

KLM - No change although the 738 is showing the next two Mondays

Loganair, Vueling, Turkish appear to be the same although Turkish Antalya bookable next year from June

Air India was showing for 1st August but not holding my breath on that one

Pete

Two bits of hopeful news from press releases today. Emirates confirming 1st September restart on EK39 four times a week Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday on the 77W - Emirates press release and Air India despite cutting several European routes BHX will remaim.

Jet2 - Still many unknowns due to the position with Spain, Portugal & Cyprus but Palma & Ibiza are listed next Sunday and then Mahon and the Canaries. They have issued a press release stating Cyprus will restart next week

However they have added extra Greek and Turkish flights last week and more this week with next Friday seeing an extra Dalman and Zante, Saturday Skiathos and Kos and Sunday Antalya. Heraklion on Monday started this week adding to the extra Antalya and Dalaman from the previous Monday.

The downside Murcia and Almeria have moved to 2021 rather than mid August. They have also removed 4 Christmas Market destinations from sale - Cologne, Copenhagen, Nuremburg and Strasbourg. However Newark and Berlin remain as does the increases in Reykjavik, Krakow, Budapest and Prague. Vienna also remains.

easyjet - Glasgow increased Monday to 2 daily Monday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday which matches Edinburgh.

TUI - A bit like Jet2 waiting on Spain & Cyprus but in the meantime the second Monday Corfu continues and an Antalya has popped up on a Monday for at least 2 weeks but I have not found anything additional beyond that for this month.

Ryanair - Dublin goes double daily except for Wednesday. Other than the known frequency cuts on the original schedule I haven't seen anything new for August. They are still persisting with two Barcelona flights Monday and Friday, the extra Monday Ibiza and Wednesday Arrecife.

KLM - Although this was positive last week with the 3 daily flights, including the night-stopper, but still E175's appearing as well as 190's although the 73G is in the schedules on one of the three flights but I think this is week of the 17th.

Air France - Still no real pattern although they are daily now with the second flight turning up some Fridays and Sunday (16th). Air France mainline showing for 31st

Lufthansa - No noticeable change, Cityline on both services Frankfurt the 190 twice a day in the week and CRJ9 on Munich daily

Eurowings - Still 6 a week

Loganair - Aberdeen was showing two weekly in September but Inverness staring on 31-08 5 a week but that could change. No sign of Isle of Man as rumoured

Wizz, Vueling, Turkish - Nothing of note of difference

Blue Island and Aurigny - Still the last day of the month

Aer Lingus - Dublin mid September still and Shannon & Cork in winter plus Belfast City mid September

Pete

jon01
13th Aug 2020, 05:26
Blue Island and Aurigny - Still the last day of the month

Pete

Aurigny now from 21st September

jon01
13th Aug 2020, 07:08
Air India will be operating inbound 'Evacuation Flights' on 23rd & 30th August using B788 / AI113

All names taken
13th Aug 2020, 11:00
Air India will be operating inbound 'Evacuation Flights' on 23rd & 30th August using B788 / AI113

Wow - that strikes me as a great way to start a local outbreak of Covid. The word 'evacuation' sums it up nicely.:ooh:

ATNotts
13th Aug 2020, 11:17
Wow - that strikes me as a great way to start a local outbreak of Covid. The word 'evacuation' sums it up nicely.:ooh:
Agree 100%. Of course all the PAX will be placed in closely monitored quarantine won't they? Thought not!

pabely
13th Aug 2020, 11:51
There are currently 5 VT biz sitting at Luton, don't seem to be in any rush to go home, maybe the operators think it is safer to stay in UK!

BHX5DME
14th Aug 2020, 09:18
Twice a week from 18.10.20

BHX5DME
19th Aug 2020, 11:18
Another week and another Wizz route BHX-Vilnius now from late October

3pw

GayFriendly
20th Aug 2020, 16:22
8 routes from BHX with Wizz this winter and up to 4 departures on some days. Not bad going considering the current climate. One to watch for potentially more routes in 2021? MXP would be nice, they have a base there I think?

Blue Air are also returning BHX-OTP from March 2021.

Obviously all subject to change.

I flew FR BHX-VRN last week, BHX was the quietest I have ever seen in my 20+ years of travelling through it during all hours and seasons. The departures board was more like it was in the early 90's with hefty time gaps between flights. My flight itself however was quite well loaded I'd say 75% full. Just goes to show how tough times are and are likely to be for a while which is why it's nice to see the new Wizz routes.

jon01
23rd Aug 2020, 05:44

The Air India evacuation flights and the PIA flight with Hi Fly have all been cancelled

BHX5DME
24th Aug 2020, 14:13
BHX July PaxBHX - 135,145 pax

Others

LHR – 866,655 down 89%

STN – 468,318 down 83%

LTN – 465,000 (approx.)

MAN – 332,158 down 90%

LGW – 280,475 down 94%

EDI - 168,976 down 89%

LPL – 81,890 down 83%

EMA – 79,447 down 86%

NCL – 49,623 down 92%

SEN – 12,653 down 97%

LCY – 12,653 down 97%

ROC10
24th Aug 2020, 21:15
Just out of curiosity, are the airports towards the bottom of this list (below EDI) busier than BRS/GLA/BFS/ABZ?

BHX5DME
24th Aug 2020, 21:49
Just out of curiosity, are the airports towards the bottom of this list (below EDI) busier than BRS/GLA/BFS/ABZ?

No figures yet for BRS/GLA/BFS or ABZ

ROC10
24th Aug 2020, 22:21
No figures yet for BRS/GLA/BFS or ABZ
I see, thank you for that.

MARK 101
25th Aug 2020, 11:36
What percentage is BHX down out of interest. I am guessing it is on a par with the others. Amazing that LTN is so high , even higher than MAN. I am guessing this is the effect of WIZZ and Ryanair who seemed to go back to flying a lot quicker than other carriers

BHX5DME
25th Aug 2020, 11:40
What percentage is BHX down out of interest. I am guessing it is on a par with the others. Amazing that LTN is so high , even higher than MAN. I am guessing this is the effect of WIZZ and Ryanair who seemed to go back to flying a lot quicker than other carriers

BHX down 90%

Yes LTN is the clear winner here with LGW / LCY the biggest losers.

With MAN behind STN but ahead of LGW

BHX5DME
25th Aug 2020, 12:20
Another way of looking at June Pax is market share - Jun 20 v Jun 19

Market Share Jun-20 Jun-19

LHR 50.2% 25.4%
LTN 9.1% 5.9%
STN 8.5% 9.3%
ABZ 6.1% 0.9%
MAN 5.7% 10.4%
LGW 4.1% 15.8%
EDI 2.7% 5.0%
BFS 2.1% 2.1%
BHX 1.9% 4.4%
GLA 1.6% 3.2%
LPL 1.1% 1.7%
NCL 0.7% 2.0%
BRS 0.6% 3.2%
EMA 0.2% 1.9%
CWL 0.1% 0.7%
LCY 0.1% 1.6%

OltonPete
31st Aug 2020, 17:03
[QUOTE=BHX5DME;10870022]BHX down 90%

Some green shoots at least on the last day of month.

Loganair Inverness started today on the ER3 but move to the ER4 or that is the plan and will be 5 a week in general. Aberdeen going 6 a week from 14 September and the AT72 showing Friday and Sunday

Blue Island Jersey started today 4 a week

KLM increased to 4 daily which I didn't see coming but not sure when that changes as I was convinced it was showing 3 on Saturday

Lufthansa - Cityline finish on the Frankfurt with the Airbus coming back with the Tuesday night-stop cancelled but back to double daily at the weekend. Munich continues at 6 a week

Eurowings - Double daily in the week in general from tomorrow

Emirates - Back tomorrow 4 a week with the 77W

Ryanair - I will include this in the positive news despite the reduction in flights but BHX can't complain as it is still a significant schedule just planned cuts to IBZ, ACE & DUB with extra odd frequency cuts on ALC, BCN & PMI

SAS - Still bookable from the 14th 3-4 a week

Jet2 - Covered on other threads but the Balerics have gone for summer, Pula gone and Budapest delayed before Hungary announced they were closing their borders. Spanish mainland and Canaries now delayed until at least the week commencing 13 September. On the positive side there have regular additions - Faro 7 to 11 a week. Heraklion 3 - 5 a week, Dalaman is now 7 a week and Antalya 6. Rome and Krakow have restarted but Prague is the end of September (possibly), Lisbon, Venice and Barcelona now late October

TUI - Faro restarted yesterday and the Thursday flight has been reinstated as well from this week. Enfidha due to start Friday has been removed for summer and winter I believe. Egypt has moved back to mid-month with Hurghada x 2 and 1 x Sharm. Paphos and Larnaca are due to start the weekend. It appears the extra Monday Corfu and Antalya might end today. All Spanish seems to be bookable still from mid-month

The not so good

easyjet - Glasgow varies between 4 a week to 6 week during September down from 2 daily at times, Edinburgh between 7 or 8 a week again down from double daily on certain days. Belfast to 10 a week from 13 and packed virtually every flight.

Aer Lingus - Taking advantage of the easyjet Belfast reduction - oh no and they have cut the new BHX frequencies before it starts with Tuesday and Wednesday in September just daily - I assume poor forward bookings? Now 3 a day Monday and Friday, 2 a day Thursday and Sunday and one daily the rest but probably sensible in such times. Dublin delayed until late September which is not a surprise andh Cork and Shannon remaining winter..

Air France - All over the place - 2 HOP today but none tomorrow with Air France seemingly be back on Saturday on the A319 but most flights are still HOP. One change for the winter is the bringing forward of the night-stop aircraft from summer but not an extra frequency just a replacement.

Brussels Airlines - Delayed until the end of the month

Swiss - just 5 a week from winter

Al subject to change but overall pretty good considering

Pete

Matt995
1st Sep 2020, 23:27
Vueling appear to be taking a sabbatical from Birmingham for the month of October, last Barcelona flight is showing 28th September, and the next one is currently showing as 1st November.

No real surprise with the current situation with Spain, of course subject to change!

MARK 101
2nd Sep 2020, 10:02
Vueling appear to be taking a sabbatical from Birmingham for the month of October, last Barcelona flight is showing 28th September, and the next one is currently showing as 1st November.

No real surprise with the current situation with Spain, of course subject to change!
Given that November is always the worst month for business in a normal year ,think that that could well change again

OltonPete
14th Sep 2020, 22:05

Vueling is December at the earliest now.

Excellent day to day with Aer Lingus Belfast City starting. SAS Copenhagen back although only twice a week (Mon/Fri) , F1 charters today by BA CityFlyer and TUI Belgium plus a couple yesterday (WDL & Sun Air). An even rarer visitor possibly tomorrow a TUI MAX reported on several sites due from Tenerife via Malaga. Quite a few GA today making around 130 movements.

Aer Lingus - back today on the new Belfast City route.

The schedule is not as originally planned but should change as the service gets established.

Monday will see three flights 08:05, 15:45 & 19:20 (inbound times) but just one on Tuesday and Wednesday (afternoon), two on Thursday (morning & afternoon) three on Friday, one Saturday late morning and two Sunday (afternoon and evening).

Not such good news on their Dublin, Cork and Shannon Routes. The latter two now 1st November back a further few days and Dublin 19 October.

Loganair - Aberdeen goes 6 a week from Monday and the ATR drops in on Friday and Sunday (Aisle seats showing blocked) and Inverness continues 5 a week

Aurigny - I am sure this was due to start this week or next week but now Monday 12 October

Air France - This week showing twice daily all week but there are future dates are showing just one or even none some days. The A319 is schedule on AF1164 next Saturday again.

KLM - Best to say 3 or 4 a day with KL1431 operating Monday & Tuesday only this week with mainline still on KL1421/2 except Sunday

Lufthansa - No noticeable change with 13 a week FRA and 6 Munich. Cityline showing back on the Frankfurt next month

Eurowings - No noticeable change with 10 a week double daily Monday - Thursday a mix of A319's and A320's

Brussels Airlines - Monday 28 September still 4 a week (M, Th, Fr & Su)

Swiss - remains winter 5 a week

Air India - Trying again next Friday for around 6 weeks at once a week - inbound 17.20 a night-stop and out 20.00 Saturday. Showing as ATQ/DEL

Turkish & Emirates - no change 4 a week and TK showing all 737's at present next week and EK showing a daily A380 in December. Qatar remains bookable in winter

Wizz - No Change but Budapest remains bookable in October and the recently ended Wednesday Warsaw is bookable in winter making it 3 a week

Ryanair - Not too many changes if any - 10 remains 10 a week, the second Friday Alicante is still bookable, Verona ends before October half-term returning Christmas. Although today's Palma shows operated by Lauda I have not found any others.

Jet2 - With a week a way I have lost track and some surprises with Kefalonia starting next Sunday - yep a new service with just 4 flights. A 4th Corfu flight a week is added operating next Saturday, Dalaman and Antalya are now 7 a week, neither operating on a Wednesday but two Saturday flights. The Canaries, Malaga & Alicante remain bookable from the last few days of this month. Crete and Zante end at the end of this new week. Rhodes remains 3 a week and Skiathos 2 but they end soon. Faro in the timetable also still shows 11 a week. Prague remains 30 September. The rest seems unchanged

easyjet - No change for September (10 x BFS, 7 x EDI & 4-5 GLA a week )but winter has been scaled back to sensible levels

TUI - Skiathos has ended despite Jet2 carrying on until the end of the month. Sunday Crete still shows bookable although not Thursday. Dalaman shows 2 next Sunday for one week making 5. Antalya Monday seems to end this week making it 4 a week but is now bookable all through November which I think is a first for TUI. Kos drops to weekly after next Saturday. Looking into October - Sharm and Hurghada are bookable still but Boa Vista isn't. Could there be a return to long-haul as Montego Bay reamins bookable and due to start in a few weeks although the others have been removed until November.

Any additions or corrections welcome.

Pete

Gurnard
15th Sep 2020, 08:09
Aurigny - I am sure this was due to start this week or next week but now Monday 12 October

Any additions or corrections welcome.

Pete

Pax arriving in Guernsey require a 14-day quarantine. This will explain the delayed start of the service. However don't hold out too much hope for the 12th October. Guernsey isn't showing any signs of relaxing its Covid-19 controls.

MARK 101
15th Sep 2020, 09:37
Aurigny ATR operated last Saturday and Sunday .Not sure if theses were one offs ,or maybe weekends only at the moment

Gurnard
15th Sep 2020, 10:55
Aurigny ATR operated last Saturday and Sunday .Not sure if theses were one offs ,or maybe weekends only at the moment
It was a one off charter but as there were spare seats on the a/c flights were available for the general public.

toledoashley
18th Sep 2020, 11:45
BlueAir adding Bucharest, twice weekly on Monday's and Thursday's from the 21st December - 10th January

BHX5DME
18th Sep 2020, 17:55
248,155 down 82%

Other airports can be found here ………….

https://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/CAA/Content/Standard_Content/Data_and_analysis/Datasets/Airport_stats/Airport_data_2020_08/Table_09_Terminal_and_Transit_Passengers.pdf

ssflyer
20th Sep 2020, 12:53
EK
Figures of 180-200 pax have been quoted for the BHX flights since they restarted
Can anyone confirm this or have % (OP?)
SS

Scottie Dog
20th Sep 2020, 14:00
I'm not privy to the EK BHX loads, however based on a B77W - 356 seats - that would mean just under 60pc, which would be just a could of points below what Manchester has been averaging at and so would make sense.

Hope that helps.

MARK 101
20th Sep 2020, 14:14
I'm not privy to the EK BHX loads, however based on a B77W - 356 seats - that would mean just under 60pc, which would be just a could of points below what Manchester has been averaging at and so would make sense.

Hope that helps.
Spoke to crew member a couple of days last week who said 190 and 170 so definitely seems to be there or thereabouts. Believe freight is doing well

OltonPete
20th Sep 2020, 17:11
EK
Figures of 180-200 pax have been quoted for the BHX flights since they restarted
Can anyone confirm this or have % (OP?)
SS

I have heard the same as Mark 101 and thus far only 2 x 360 seat aircraft used and the other 10 flights have been two class 428 seat so load factor around 50% based on what people are saying.

Strange update from Emirates in the last few days with Edinburgh and Newcastle back on sale at 7 a week and 5 a week respectively in December and BHX has changed to just 4 a week with the A380 removed and all 77W, yet locally reported forward bookings are not too bad.

I suppose plenty of time to change

Pete

VickersVicount
20th Sep 2020, 20:02
Strange update from Emirates
I think we all know those updates are essentially ‘place holders’ and will bear no resemblance to ops in a few months time.

FFHKG
21st Sep 2020, 11:39
Yes, whilst EDI is scheduled at 7 p/w, Glasgow is only 4 p/w. Thinks sen the change with EK schedules on a weekly basis presumably on the basis of forward reservations. Even LHR saw a reduction in daily flights on last week's update.

Matt995
24th Sep 2020, 22:45
Wizz Air appear to have delayed the new Riga and Vilnius flights until at least 4th/5th December.

BHX5DME
26th Sep 2020, 09:05
Both twice weekly

Craiova (Romania) begins 24th October.
Iaşi (Romania) begins 23rd October.

Bucharest also goes 4 weekly for a couple of weeks in October too.

Matt995
26th Sep 2020, 11:02
Both twice weekly

Craiova (Romania) begins 24th October.
Iaşi (Romania) begins 23rd October.

Bucharest also goes 4 weekly for a couple of weeks in October too.

times are showing as:-

Birmingham – Craiova W6 3766 16:05-21:15 Tue/Sat
Craiova – Birmingham W6 3765 14:00-15:25 Tue/Sat

Birmingham - Lasi W6 3684 20:50-02:05* Wed/Sun (& a one off flight on Fri 23/10)
Lasi - Birmingham W6 3683 18:35-20:05 Wed/Sun (& a one off flight on Fri 23/10)

good news adding 2 new unserved destinations, but a lead in time of only a month is very tight for new flights, I wonder if these might get delayed a bit like the new Riga & Vilnius?

OltonPete
26th Sep 2020, 15:04
times are showing as:-

Birmingham – Craiova W6 3766 16:05-21:15 Tue/Sat
Craiova – Birmingham W6 3765 14:00-15:25 Tue/Sat

Birmingham - Lasi W6 3684 20:50-02:05* Wed/Sun (& a one off flight on Fri 23/10)
Lasi - Birmingham W6 3683 18:35-20:05 Wed/Sun (& a one off flight on Fri 23/10)

good news adding 2 new unserved destinations, but a lead in time of only a month is very tight for new flights, I wonder if these might get delayed a bit like the new Riga & Vilnius?

Just to add on the negative side Qatar now 29 March at the earliest and Ryanair Vienna the same. Although Austrian Vienna is not due back to the same date their website has it loaded from 2-11-2020 with prices but if you try to book it shows sold out - just maybe a final decision has not been made? Brussels Airlines is another thought not to be due back until summer still have 4 a week bookable from 12 October. Swiss rumoured to be 4 or 5 a week in winter are still showing 12 bookable in November.

Ryanair have cut around 23 flights a week in October which could have been a lot worse. Dublin down to 5 a week (from 10) and Palma 2 (down from 7) oddly the same as Reus (no change) both believed to carrying few unsurprisingly.

Jet2 although pushed back the city breaks other than Rome and Krakow which are operating now continue to add Antalya and Dalaman flights ending up 9 a week by the end of October and both increased to 8 a week from this weekend. Kefalonia remains the strangest, a new route for 2020 but canned only for it to start last week for 4 flights. They also added a 4th Corfu a week the extra starting today but of course it is the end of season and they all end mid October

Pete

OltonPete
1st Oct 2020, 22:51
Just to add on the negative side Qatar now 29 March at the earliest and Ryanair Vienna the same. Although Austrian Vienna is not due back to the same date their website has it loaded from 2-11-2020 with prices but if you try to book it shows sold out - just maybe a final decision has not been made? Brussels Airlines is another thought not to be due back until summer still have 4 a week bookable from 12 October. Swiss rumoured to be 4 or 5 a week in winter are still showing 12 bookable in November.

Ryanair have cut around 23 flights a week in October which could have been a lot worse. Dublin down to 5 a week (from 10) and Palma 2 (down from 7) oddly the same as Reus (no change) both believed to carrying few unsurprisingly.

Jet2 although pushed back the city breaks other than Rome and Krakow which are operating now continue to add Antalya and Dalaman flights ending up 9 a week by the end of October and both increased to 8 a week from this weekend. Kefalonia remains the strangest, a new route for 2020 but canned only for it to start last week for 4 flights. They also added a 4th Corfu a week the extra starting today but of course it is the end of season and they all end mid October

Pete

Ups - 33 drainage work is finished and the calibration aircraft has been here the last two days although it was reported it went tech at one point.

Fantastic day for freight with another smoky Joe just arrived (AN12) but also loads of other freight aircraft as well............and for the bad news and it was grim before the Turkey and Poland announcement

SAS Copenhagen ends 9th October

Brussels Airlines delayed 18 January 2021 once daily

Swiss delayed to 1st February - 4 a week increasing

Jet2 Faro ends Sunday planed to restart at the end of October

Jet2 Paphos reducing from 4 a week to 3 9th October. Potentially in November Jet2 will have twice weekly Rome, Venice for a few weeks and the Cypriot flights but LCA end mid month anyway, all of course if current restrictions remain and other city breaks don't start.

Airlineroute posted the Aer Lingus schedule for October and BHX was not listed for Dublin but the schedule has changed on their website and the 19 October is still showing as on sale but once daily at 21.00 departure but going double daily the following week

Loganair Aberdeen is now 5 a week with Wednesday the latest cut

Ryanair cuts started today

No doubt more to come over the next few days

Pete

LessThanSte
9th Oct 2020, 17:14
Random question - please feel free to move somewhere more appropriate.

Whilst twiddling my thumbs at work today, stumbled onto Google Maps' 3D setting. After exploring my golf course, and house, and estate, i navigated over to BHX. About 2 minutes later i spotted that there were precisely zero aircraft anywhere at the airport, with the exception of one GA plane over on the Elmdon apron. There did however appear to be a reasonable amount of cars parked up, both at the airport, the train station and at the NEC.

I'm curious - is BHX ever that quiet or is it a doctored image of some form (i.e. to remove 'adverts' by showing aircraft liveries)? When might such a picture be taken?

Even during covid times, presumably a few aircraft have been parked up. Timing wise, the images look to have been taken a year or so ago when major works were going on in the city centre. Interestingly, MAN is also almost empty, though LHR is packed to the rafter.

SWBKCB
9th Oct 2020, 17:39
Google have started removing images of aircraft on airports in Maps

tubby linton
14th Oct 2020, 08:30
The RWY 33 ILS LOC AND GP DOWNGRADED TO CAT 1 again, have the old problems returned or is it something else?

ATNotts
14th Oct 2020, 09:07
The RWY 33 ILS LOC AND GP DOWNGRADED TO CAT 1 again, have the old problems returned or is it something else?

I'd have thought having an ILS at all on RW33 was a step forward, given the issues of the past few years!

Matt995
14th Oct 2020, 09:16

The 33 GP has been out of service since January 2018, over the last few months work on the drainage issues at the airfield have hopefully been resolved and on Friday 2nd October the 33 ILS was re-turned on at Cat 1 only. After 300 hours of it radiating and with no issues it will be up graded back to Cat IIIb standards

Navpi
17th Oct 2020, 14:41
Does anybody think the raft of VIRGIN flights from Manchester will effect Air India from Birmingham.

Whilst fares may be cheaper, quality of service, higher frequency and certainty of timings may well be a game changer.

MARK 101
17th Oct 2020, 14:57
Does anybody think the raft of VIRGIN flights from Manchester will effect Air India from Birmingham.

Whilst fares may be cheaper, quality of service, higher frequency and certainty of timings may well be a game changer.
Interestingly Air India did operate a Manchester service which was dropped. Traditionally the Indian market has always been BHX based and Manchester has a bigger Pakistani market. I think with the problems at PIA , I cant see them coming back to BHX but hopefully Air India can still make a go of it despite Virgins competition

BHX5DME
17th Oct 2020, 17:59
Air India loads at BHX have always been excellent, so I don't see an issue with Virgin at all.

Turkish will use a B787-900 every Monday starting 19th - currently bookable every Monday into December.

Great News

ATNotts
17th Oct 2020, 19:52

I don't see any issue with certainty of timings, AI operated a schedule pre-covid that was pretty stable, and the principal destination from BHX is Amritsar. Two different markets I think, and if I had to back a winner between VS at MAN or AI at BHX on balance, post covid I'd choose the latter.

chaps1954
18th Oct 2020, 08:36
The plans are for through connections to US which when things start to get back to normal will be a winner for VS and Jet when they operated averaged over 200 pax

ATNotts
18th Oct 2020, 10:27
The plans are for through connections to US which when things start to get back to normal will be a winner for VS and Jet when they operated averaged over 200 pax

I really don't think that "plans" count for much at the moment!!

BHX5DME
18th Oct 2020, 10:30
I think it just a case of Virgin starting to fly East as they cannot go West anytime soon.
Good move by them to boost income.
Lets hope they survive.

chaps1954
18th Oct 2020, 13:05
They were planning an east network before Covid and I am hearing further routes to follow

God_of_Fire
18th Oct 2020, 13:20
Hopefully the current crisis will lead the owners of BHX to reassess their pricing structure and reduce their hefty passenger fees. It's been too expensive an airport to sustain a decent low cost scheduled operation for the past twenty years. The councillors I charge think that BHX should be on a par with MAN but it's not.

ATNotts
19th Oct 2020, 06:46
Hopefully the current crisis will lead the owners of BHX to reassess their pricing structure and reduce their hefty passenger fees. It's been too expensive an airport to sustain a decent low cost scheduled operation for the past twenty years. The councillors I charge think that BHX should be on a par with MAN but it's not.

With respect, unless you're on the inside, then all you know is what the tariff is. What you don't know, unless of course you're in the inside and from the perspective of a carrier looking to open services to BHX is what the actual rate offer is, following the usual commercial negotiations.

I honestly don't believe that BHX could attract that much more regular business if the published rates were 50% of Manchester's, where BHX might score in such a scenario could be on ad hoc movements - charters, both passenger and freight, and of course diversions which, thanks to modern technology are not such a factor as they were say, 30 years ago. The main drivers for new services are going to be commercial viability from a yield standpoint, and we already know that BHX has never been able to sustain enough font end traffic even to encourage Emirates or a transatlantic carrier to successfully offer a first class product.

Kicking the airport over it's fees misses the point. That being the wealth of the region it serves, and it's proximity to Manchester and the London airports, not to mention the dilution of passenger demand by having two passenger airports within 80km of each other. The current crisis and it's aftermath may actually encourage airport businesses to play hardball with those carriers paying uneconomic rates so that they can maximise revenue and at the same time reduce staffing numbers - working smart rather than hard, or in other terms, stop being busy fools.

OltonPete
20th Oct 2020, 22:17
Air India loads at BHX have always been excellent, so I don't see an issue with Virgin at all.

Turkish will use a B787-900 every Monday starting 19th - currently bookable every Monday into December.

Great News

Turkish - Last Friday service this week and it goes 3 a week but the sweetener is the 789 on a Monday - It is scheduled to the last Monday in December but 26 October already showing as the 739. From the first week in November Thursday and Saturday should be A321's.

Wizz - big update across the network. Craiova still appears to start next Saturday twice a week with Tuesday the other day from 27-10. Bucharest operates again this Sundays before dropping to twice weekly for November with the Wednesday service returning in December.

Cluj ends Friday 30 October for a month at least

Iasi delayed to 16 December

Krakow has ended and pencilled in for 17-11 twice a week

Wroclaw and Warsaw remain weekly until the week of 16 November when they could go back to twice weekly

Riga and Vilnius remain the first week in December.

Budapest remains 18 November for a return.

Ryanair - They have updated winter but added a new route for two weeks starting Saturday - Heraklion!

Alicante - was daily in winter and now 4 a week in general

Barcelona - was to be daily now 3 a week

Fuerteventura, Arrecife, Oporto, Murcia, Gdansk, Katowice, Modlin - 2 no change

Las Palmas - was removed but back in weekly on a Saturday (day change from Friday)

Madrid - ends tomorrow with no return date

Malaga - was to be 6 a week now 3

Tenerife - reduced from 4 to 3

Bratislava - ended yesterday

Faro - 2 a week from 3

Bydgoszcz - reduced from 3 to 2 weekly

Krakow - from 3 to 4 to 3

Malta - 3 a week to 2

Verona - no change restarts Christmas weekly

Dublin - Originally around 36 a week down to 14 and now 5

Sofia - Was 3 then removed completely but just for day changes and back to 2 weekly with Friday on a based aircraft

Around 44 flights 3 based still but some days the based on operate a couple of flights

Jet2 - Rome has ended for at least month and they have pushed back Venice to February but reinstate Heraklion next weekend operating Saturday and Sunday for 2 weeks and after that Saturday continues to 14-11. Rhodes has a third Saturday flight added this week for two weeks and continues once a week until 14 November. Berlin and Vienna Christmas Market flights appear to be cancelled, which is understandable. Dalaman is now next year but will restart Antalya if given the green light. The Canaries remain bookable from next Sunday

TUI - Restarted Zante in a blink of an eye. Crete hasn't though but Rhodes is back on sale until 14-11 (Tuesday & Saturday) and double daily on a Saturday for the next 2 weeks. Finally Montego Bay has been delayed and removed for October but still showing for November. Hurghada is due to start Friday.

easyjet - oh dear. Glasgow and Edinburgh appear to be suspended from 9th November to 3rd December and in the same period Belfast reduced to 6 a week

Blue Island - Jersey seems to be ending 1st November until 21st December

Air France - This coming week Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday and Sunday 17.40 departure - Monday 26 06.15 departure & same on Friday week. The schedule changes daily and some days there are none but Monday and Friday often twice daily.

KLM - This has changed again with next week just 2 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday and winter it is 3 daily on Sunday, Monday and Friday and 2 the other days

Lufthansa - No change with Munich allegedly double daily in winter some A319's CRJ9's and E195's, Frankfurt remains Cityline

Aer Lingus - Dublin still down to start Friday Daily early morning except Sunday which is afternoon. Cork unfortunately has been put back until December. Belfast City non-ops this Wednesday but double daily in winter apart from Saturday.

Loganair, Eurowings Emirates, Air India - no changes noticed.

Some positives are priority freight (JLR & COVID related) and GA movements as well as Football (Domestic, European and International) and GP charters (Aurigny and Cityflyer today)

Pete

Navpi
2nd Nov 2020, 13:54
Any news on EK A380s, i noticed there some adhoc flights into Manchester and Heathrow.

Navpi
13th Nov 2020, 14:22
Three UK’s airports have had their credit ratings downgraded by Moody’s as the pandemic continues to hammer global air travel.

Heathrow , Gatwick and Birmingham.

Manchester retained its status ahead of LHR AND LGW.

Scottie Dog
13th Nov 2020, 14:35
Three UK’s airports have had their credit ratings downgraded by Moody’s as the pandemic continues to hammer global air travel.

Heathrow , Gatwick and Birmingham.

Manchester retained its status ahead of LHR AND LGW.

To be fair that should refer to Manchester Airport Group and not just Manchester airport.

BHX5DME
18th Nov 2020, 09:24
Emirates back to daily from BHX from 28th November

Navpi
18th Nov 2020, 09:53
Will the new Wizz base at Manchester impact Birmingham traffic. Interesting that Wizz have seen an opportunity and gone straight to a mainline base rather than away based units.

ATNotts
18th Nov 2020, 09:58
Will the new Wizz base at Manchester impact Birmingham traffic. Interesting that Wizz have seen an opportunity and gone straight to a mainline base rather than away based units.

Now I may turn out to be wrong, but given that Covid-19 isn't going anywhere for the time being, and even the most optimistic don't believe there will be mass vaccination before Q4/2021, I would suggest that all there new based units promised by Ryanair and new bases by Aer Lingus and Wizz could just turn out to be so much thin air.

However Wizz UK clearly sees an opportunity, and how it plays out, and which routes they eventually choose to operate will depend upon how much of an impact their "base" has on BHX. It's all pure conjecture at the moment, and these slot allocations / applications pure works of fiction.

chaps1954
18th Nov 2020, 11:03
May not turn out quite as hoped but I think airlines want to be in a position to get started and get some cash flow before others jump in.

ATNotts
18th Nov 2020, 11:25
May not turn out quite as hoped but I think airlines want to be in a position to get started and get some cash flow before others jump in.

I think that's very true, especially at airports which may be tight on terminal and / or runway slots.

pabely
18th Nov 2020, 11:32
Did I miss something, new Manchester base?

iwak
18th Nov 2020, 15:18
I hear summer 21 slot allocations are out anyone picking up the knock route??
This route route has been previously operated by Aer Lingus , my Travel lite, BMI baby , Aer Lingus Regional and more recently Flybe until their demise.

GayFriendly
18th Nov 2020, 17:34
Whether these slot applications, new FR routes and new EI and Wizz bases ever materialize at MAN remains a point of conjecture .

What isn't a point of conjecture is that said airlines have not (to our knowledge) applied for slots or to set up new bases at BHX.

Whatever happens with the pandemic and how it affects aviation over the next 12-24 months, it's clear that one thing hasn't changed and that is that airlines see far better returns and prospects to grow at MAN than at BHX. In the potentially lean times ahead for airlines, revenue and growth prospects surely must be of paramount importance.

I have read that (allegedly) MAN have offered both FR and EZY exclusive use of T1 and no landing fees for 4 years so perhaps both airlines declarations to greatly increase base units and routes is not such pie in the sky.

I think the best BHX can hope for is continued Jet2 loyalty with a small FR base and the hopeful return of EZY to EDI and GLA.

On the bright side, we do have EK going daily again and of course new routes starting fingers crossed from.Wizz. - you have to keep that glass half full!

BHX5DME
18th Nov 2020, 20:10

Yes 4 X 321 base - slots are in but far from confirmed yet.

The96er
18th Nov 2020, 20:11
Yes 4 X 321 base - slots are in but far from confirmed yet.

1 x A333 and 3 x 321.

ROC10
18th Nov 2020, 20:35
1 x A333 and 3 x 321.
A333? Are they planning to acquire some of those prior to S21?

I have read that they’ve applied for 4 x A321 bases at EDI and MAN.

The96er
18th Nov 2020, 20:43
A333? Are they planning to acquire some of those prior to S21?

I have read that they’ve applied for 4 x A321 bases at EDI and MAN.

Nothing planned for EDI and the A333 would be sourced from within the fleet, likely to be mix of A332/333 to suite demand if everything comes to fruition.

GrahamK
18th Nov 2020, 21:02
Nothing planned for EDI and the A333 would be sourced from within the fleet, likely to be mix of A332/333 to suite demand if everything comes to fruition.
Getting mixed up with Wizz and Aer Lingus

Sioltach Dubh Glas
18th Nov 2020, 21:11
Definitely some cross talk here. New EI to base 3 A321 and an A333 at MAN plus Wizz looking to have 4 x A320/321 there as well.
Of course this all has nothing to do with BHX!!

Navpi
19th Nov 2020, 06:39

Just to reaffirm yes it is a new MAN base, not just 4 routes.

Manchester is not particularly well served to Eastern Europe. On that basis there may well be some duplication of routes which operate out of BHX. ( and indeed liverpool) as Wizz look to aggressively exploit that market.

With major expansion also about to take place with EASYJET at Bristol, BHX may find itself struggling to rebuild back to 12m, although of course all airports are going to have a gargantuan task.

With market share remaining fragile for 2 +3 years those larger airports will be flexing their muscle to capture what limited traffic there is.

marko1
19th Nov 2020, 07:56
Just to reaffirm yes it is a new MAN base, not just 4 routes.

Manchester is not particularly well served to Eastern Europe. On that basis there may well be some duplication of routes which operate out of BHX. ( and indeed liverpool) as Wizz look to aggressively exploit that market.

With major expansion also about to take place with EASYJET at Bristol, BHX may find itself struggling to rebuild back to 12m, although of course all airports are going to have a gargantuan task.

With market share remaining fragile for 2 +3 years those larger airports will be flexing their muscle to capture what limited traffic there is.

easyjet major expansion - is this something I’m not aware of ?

SWBKCB
19th Nov 2020, 07:59
Think it should be Jet2 - of the other things being discussed (Wizz, AerLingus, etc), this is the only expansion that has been formally announced. The rest is based on slot allocations, which may or may not be taken up.

BHX5DME
19th Nov 2020, 08:20
Think it should be Jet2 - of the other things being discussed (Wizz, AerLingus, etc), this is the only expansion that has been formally announced. The rest is based on slot allocations, which may or may not be taken up.

Why are we talking about Manchester and Bristol on the Birmingham thread ????

MANFOD
19th Nov 2020, 09:03
Why are we talking about Manchester and Bristol on the Birmingham thread ????

To be fair, I think what's happening, or potentially planned, at competitor airports is a legitimate issue for debate.
I've done this myself on Manchester threads on this and other forums. It's particularly relevant where catchment areas overlap. However, in this instance, there were extra posts because of confusion between slot applications for EI and Wizz at MAN.

Navpi
19th Nov 2020, 09:38
If a catchment area overlaps and might impact a particular airport I would have thought it reasonable?

No different to LGW and LHR.