PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham-7

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

chaps1954
28th Oct 2018, 08:52
More like end of school half term as there were a couple in Manchester last week and then again this week.

OltonPete
28th Oct 2018, 14:05
ACL Winter 2018/19 Report - BHX (https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/BHX-W18-SOS.pdf)

The winter season report shows an increase in seats of 329,502 over the previous winter (I have removed the Primera seats)

It confirms the new services by Corendon Europe to Marrakesh from Feb (1,500 seats) and Air Arabia to Agadir (15,000 seats)

Notable increase in seats by:
Eurowings
Jet2.Com
Ryanair
Thomas Cook
TUI Airways

Notable decreases in seats by:
Blue Air
Brussels Airlines
easyJet

It looks like they have made an error with the Air India slots, which is 6pw, not 3pw as shown

Total movements up by a total of just over 1000 for the season

Not a bad prospect after all the doom and gloom recently

2018/9

Nothing too surprising although I suppose the scale of Ryanair might have gone a bit unnoticed without the usual hype of how they saved the West Midlands from turning into a wasteland (no jokes please), However it is noticeable that there is some steady growth from Ryanair and that all routes seem to be preserved (Vilnius not bookable next summer).

easyjet have dropped Grenoble so their loss is understandable and Geneva slightly reduced as well but Belfast by February will be at record levels 3 daily except Saturday.

Blue Air dropped Cluj which operated 2-3 weekly and who knows what Brussels Airlines are doing but they fill the 319 drop it back to the SU95 - fill that and put the 319 back on it this month for it to return to the SU95. No doubt capacity readjustment by Lufthansa

The Titan ski flight is flybe this year and they have the Lleida back from EMA Jet2 which flatters Flybe's operation but Titan still showing around 14 return flights which will be interesting to know what they are unless they are car industry related and ad-hoc.

Air India of course still have the Friday Delhi removed from the schedule affecting their figures.

Swiss is also interesting as seats are down but movements up and regular A220-300 flights start today with 145 seats but I suppose a fair few 320's operated last winter at times

Eurowings increase Dusseldorf tomorrow to 4 daily in the week with the lunchtime DH8D and noticeably more Airbus flights due at present than last winter.

Pete

Pete

ssflyer
28th Oct 2018, 14:09
More like end of school half term as there were a couple in Manchester last week and then again this week.

The post specified 18th December
SSF

davidjohnson6
30th Oct 2018, 19:55
Fly Car will not be operating their winter charter route between Birmingham and Arvidsjaur over the winter 2018-19 season. Their routes from Germany to Arvidsjaur will however go ahead

OltonPete
30th Oct 2018, 22:40
Fly Car will not be operating their winter charter route between Birmingham and Arvidsjaur over the winter 2018-19 season. Their routes from Germany to Arvidsjaur will however go ahead

Thank you David - No surprise as the ACL report indicated a change of mind and the last time I looked on their website BHX was mentioned but the timetable was missing.

Air Arabia - Maroc - First flight has been and gone to Agadir and fingers crossed this one works as it is an excellent destination (soon to be joined by TUI) but BHX's record with away based non-UK LOCO's is not the best outside of Vueling and Iberia Express.

What is the betting of a passenger number press this for October (November 2017 is the last one I can find) now that BHX should be back in positive territory?

Pete

GayFriendly
31st Oct 2018, 09:13
I am booked onto this in Jan, worryingly I booked about 6 weeks ago for £98 return, however I am travelling on Tuesdays, the Friday fares were more expensive but not excessively so....it is an excellent destination, suited to those who want to fly and beach flop as well as those (like me!) who want a bit of adventure. I do hope this one works and that they stick around longer than the usual 18 months....

I think a route to Marrakesh might attract more attention from the travelling public.

As for the pax figures, after 12 months of serious decline dare we bet on an increase in Nov? In terms of pax figures alone BHX is definitely into the third league with GLA and BRS as LTN and EDI have streaked ahead - although it will be interesting to see how EDI fares this winter with a some route and airline consolidation happening,.

I see they have managed to 'replace' the loss of DY next summer with DL to Boston. If BHX were as quick to 'replace' lost routes and carriers like this, we wouldn't be faring quite so badly.

ATNotts
31st Oct 2018, 09:27
I see they have managed to 'replace' the loss of DY next summer with DL to Boston. If BHX were as quick to 'replace' lost routes and carriers like this, we wouldn't be faring quite so badly.

Edinburgh is a totally different kettle of fish to Birmingham. The former is now a "real" capital city, since devolution, and thanks to events like the Edinburgh Royal Tattoo, and Edinburgh Festival has a very high profile for inbound tourism. Add to that North Americans who love to claim their Scottish ancestry and visit the old country, and you have all the ingredients to ensure the airport grows based on inbound governmental, business and leisure traffic in a way few airports away from London can do.

I can honestly only see two non London airports in UK getting real international / long haul traffic growth in the next decade or so, Edinburgh and Manchester. That's not to say the rest will stagnate, but they'll carry on doing what they do, shipping bucket and spaders to the usual places to toast for 2 weeks in the sun, and ferry business travelers via major European and middle eastern hubs.

nwoody2001
31st Oct 2018, 10:56
Its interesting that you people put Birmingham into a 3rd league with LTN and EDI now leaving us behind, but with the exception of pax figures, I would never put LTN and EDI into the same league. You have the likes of EDI which does have a great range of airlines (35 on wiki) and a good list of TATL connections but is massively variable with regard to seasonal routes. Of its 7x TATL routes:

Air Canada -Toronto (Seasonal)
American - Philadelphia (Seasonal)
Delta Airlines - Boston (Seasonal), JFK (Seasonal)
United - Chicago (Seasonal), Washington (Seasonal), Newark
…Only United's Newark service is year Round, all others are seasonal. Ok, don't get me wrong, I would love BHX to have all of the above, but seasonal routes are only of use to the tourist market, and market that BHX doesn't have with regard to inbound tourism. These routes simply wouldn't work in that form out of BHX.

With regard to other long-haul routes, the only other EDI has is daily Dubai, daily Doha and 2x weekly Beijing, which compared to our 2x daily Dubai, daily Doha, 6x weekly Dehli/Amritsar , 3x weekly Islamabad, 5x weekly Turkmenistan, plus TUI Long-haul, BHX isn't doing too bad.

With regard to Luton, this is an airport that doesn't have a single TATL route, and only has 11 airlines, which, with the exception of El Al (very random) and a season Iberia Express link to Vigo, all other airline and routes are either LCC or Holiday airlines. Yes the capacity they have some of their European routes are stunningly impressive, again, a fraction of which I would love to see at BHX, but alas, I wouldn't trade off our long-haul routes for that…

Just an interesting perspective. Both LTN and Edi are doing well, but both have major shortfalls in what we would like out of BHX. BHX also have elements in their route portfolio that I suspect both EDI and LTN would love to have but alas the markets between BHX, LTN and EDI are so varied they almost can't be compared!

BHX5DME
31st Oct 2018, 13:25
Sept Pax = 1,254,986 down 7.8%

I estimate October to be 1,150,000 - a record October

sixchannel
31st Oct 2018, 13:54
Having endured the sky high (loll) car parking charges, constant long security queues and packed to the rafters Airside facilities for far too long we have jumped ship to EMA for 2019s flights. Can't be any worse. Much lower profile airport for sure and not full of Bling shops and maybe thats a good thing.
But it begs the question - is BHX actually over capacity in its ability to support its current throughflow of Pax, let alone chase after more? Where they going to put them? I daresay the runway and tech facilities can cope with more movements but those extra folks have to go 'somewhere'.
Chasing ever bigger numbers might get the Upper Echelons their praise and bonuses but BHX is, in the end, a Service Industry. So serve what you can handle.

Hotel Tango
31st Oct 2018, 14:10
sixchannel, having once a property close by, I travelled to BHX (from my permanent residence in NL) on a regular (10x per annum average) basis for some 40 years. On the whole BHX improved over those years until, that is, it became a shopping mall and no longer an airport! Furthermore, in more recent years it has become an increasing hassle to use. Fortunately, with that UK property now gone I no longer have to make as many trips as in the past. I will however still travel to the area from time to time and I too have been considering using EMA. For this reason I would be grateful if you keep us in the loop with your experiences of EMA.

nwoody2001
31st Oct 2018, 14:39
The terminal is indeed at capacity during the summer peak where it handles between 1.25-1.50million pax per month. This is the reason for the terminal expansion which is being carried out with work starting in February. I understand that it will be a 18-24 month build process...
In addition to expansions, the airport appears to be making constant investments, having this year expanded the outbound security area to cope with demand.

The issue here, as with many other private airport its that with airlines and passenger demanding ever lower fees, the airlines themselves generate very little revenue to run the airport. I believe in an article with PK before he left, he stressed that airline fees represented only 35% of the airports income. It is now rent of retail, consumer spending, car parking and property development (hotels etc) is left to cover the remaining 65%...

obviously in countries where airports are nationalised, this isn't an issue, but as all UK airports are privates, this isn't a shock.

as has been said in other discussions, if pax were willing to pay the fare cost for flying, this wouldn't be an issue. people are happy to pay £9,99 for a ticket on Ryanair to spain, but are not willing to spend 2 hours in a tent/airport to get there.....

inOban
31st Oct 2018, 18:20
You can't compare BHX and EDI without pointing out that EDI has nearly 6 million domestic passengers - it's UK's busiest domestic airport. It was only this year that Intl exceeded Domestic even in February, with all the growth in recent years being in International flights.

chinapattern
2nd Nov 2018, 22:43
Marsa Alam added from November 19 with Agadir continuing into next winter as a year round destination. Orlando goes x2 weekly from April 2020.

GayFriendly
2nd Nov 2018, 23:35
Finally - an increase for Orlando!! About time!

Good news about AGA as well, I hope Air Arabia stick on the route as well

GayFriendly
3rd Nov 2018, 00:01
Have checked a variety of dates March -June 2019 and the vast majority of flights to/from BHX scheduled to operate on RJ85 some A319''s mainly Mondays and Fridays. According to Pprune, SSJ100 being phased out hy City jet by March 19 to be replaced by RJ85 then CRJ900 in longer term.

The RJ85 or variants of were once a very common sight at BHX in AF, LH, LX, SN, EI and JY/BE colours

jon01
6th Nov 2018, 06:05
The draft Master Plan (http://www.bhxmasterplan.co.uk/full-master-plan/)

'The aim is to be handling 18 million passengers a year by 2033 – a 40 per cent increase on the current traffic of around 13 million a year.'

'As part of the aim to handle more passengers, the airport will change the layout of its existing aircraft stands – the parking bays for passenger jets while they load and unload passengers and cargo – and build additional new stands, taking the airport from 58 operational stands today to 69 by 2033. But there will be no second runway.'

Plans show an additional parallel taxiway between the runway and the aprons to improve the flow of traffic around the terminal area. Also, the grass area between the aprons and the old cross runway is filled in to provide additional remote parking

A number of public exhibitions will take place throughout the West Midlands from November 12 to January 22, 2019, and the consultation period ends on January 31, 2019.

The final version of the master plan will be published early next year.

Interesting that in the 2007 Master Plan, the forecast passenger total for 2030 was 27.2 million - how things have changed!

ATNotts
6th Nov 2018, 07:00
Interesting that in the 2007 Master Plan, the forecast passenger total for 2030 was 27.2 million - how things have changed!

Going from unrealistic optimism, to a healthy dose of reality. Back in 2007 the new runway at LHR was not seriously on the table, HS2 wasn't a reality, and MAN hadn't come close to becoming the global hub that it now is. I think there is a realisation that the effect of HS2 will be to draw passengers towards LHR, rather than the reverse effect of enabling BHX to effectively become LHR's third runway.

Of course, politically, not going for massive expansion and a 2nd runway makes it far easier to get past the NIMBY councillors sat in Solihull too!

sixchannel
6th Nov 2018, 08:23
No mention of improving/ expanding things for the poor old sardine-crammed Pax I see.
We've already given up on BHX and its cramped facilities its already expensive car parking and wall to wall retail and have jumped ship to EMA for 2019. Our airline of choice flys from both to our destinations at similar prices and often better timings.
Only time will tell if we've done a wrong 'un.

Navpi
6th Nov 2018, 08:37
Only 6m added ?

Have to say I'm really surprised at the lack of vision here.
Adding just 6m over 15 years seems to be setting the bar a bit low ?

​http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westmidlands/news/2023225-airport-unveils-500m-investment-plands?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WestMidlands_6th_Nov_2018_Daily​​​​​​

All names taken
6th Nov 2018, 11:17
uumm...that's still a 50% increase.
You make it sound so easy - perhaps they should put you in charge.

GayFriendly
6th Nov 2018, 18:58
Sixchannel - I look forward to hearing how you get on. I agree that car parking is stupidly expensive at BHX however cramped facilities? I'm guessing you're one of those pax that dumps themselves on a seat in the dark no natural light departure lounge as soon as they have exited the shopping mall chicane? Next time, take a short walk up to the gates and you will have a huge airy pier with great views of the airfield mostly to yourself, a lovely quiet Costa and loads of seating.

I have nothing against EMA but in my experience if there are more than a few flights boarding around the same time, the security queue is huge and there is absolutely nowhere to sit once through their version of a shopping mall.....

gergra
6th Nov 2018, 19:43
Sixchannel.....No mention of improving/ expanding things for the poor old sardine-crammed Pax I see.

If you believe that you have not read the masterplan or looked at the artist impression of the expanded departure lounge which they are due to start work on Q1 2019.

As GF says, take a walk down the international pier. Nice and quiet and seats to sit on and a great view of the goings on.

ATNotts
7th Nov 2018, 08:24
I have nothing against EMA but in my experience if there are more than a few flights boarding around the same time, the security queue is huge and there is absolutely nowhere to sit once through their version of a shopping mall.....

That is the experience of EMA that Mrs ATN reports on her regular commutes between EMA and GLA. Security queues designed to force / encourage PAX to use the (paid for) express lane. Not much different to most airports I would suggest.

Falcon666
7th Nov 2018, 09:45
Blueair

Looks like Larnaca route dropped for S19 from BHX and LTN.( not bookable at present)
Seems strange given the frequency of this route from both airports.

Navpi
7th Nov 2018, 11:46
uumm...that's still a 50% increase.
You make it sound so easy - perhaps they should put you in charge.

What an imbecilic comment.

I'm pretty sure PK would wince at that glacial growth target as it equates to a meagre 1.85% growth per year.

it's barely one new based 737 a year !

I'm all for not overegging the pudding but that seems incredibly low.

Is it possible they are factoring in a massive loss of demand due to HS2 ?

GayFriendly
7th Nov 2018, 12:57
A great pity if true. I flew this route in March and the flight was excellent both ways - including free drinks and a hot meal! Just like flying in days gone by - I'm wondering if they are having a route and aircraft shuffle at LCA in response to the loss of Cobalt.

We are left with just one Blue Air route to OTP, although they are increasing the frequency I seem to remember reading?

I guess it will have to be Jet2 next time....the Jet2 juggernaut rolls on.....

OltonPete
7th Nov 2018, 20:23
A great pity if true. I flew this route in March and the flight was excellent both ways - including free drinks and a hot meal! Just like flying in days gone by - I'm wondering if they are having a route and aircraft shuffle at LCA in response to the loss of Cobalt.

We are left with just one Blue Air route to OTP, although they are increasing the frequency I seem to remember reading?

Jet2 - I certainly expect LCA to increase anyway but don't we have this debate every year as Blue Air put LCA on sale late compared to other routes? While on the subject of Jet2 - Christmas Shopping flights and Northern Lights 2019/20: -Vienna twice weekly Monday and Friday from 22 Nov 2019 - 3/1/2020 (13 flights up 7)Prague - from 2 to 4 a week 2-12-2019 - 3-1-2020 (10 extra flights)Reykjavik - odd dates 7-11-2019, 11-11-2019, 5-3-2020, 9-3-2020, 30-03-18 & 13-4-2018 (up 4)

Masterplan - Not often you say these types of plan fall into the realistic category although the 15 Million by 2023 could be taken as a lack of ambition rather than being realistic. Although it does say there are plans if more stands are required if there is better than expected growth.

Ryanair - A second Tuesday Palma added for summer 2019

Emirates - A rumour a few months back was EK39 in November was to be a 77W then the rumour changed to 3 class A388 for 3 weeks and the reality is a few 3 class on both services but much better than first feared.

TUI - Two 787's currently based Monday and Fridays (actually in most the week but one parked) as well as 4 short-haul which should all help towards a record November barring weather etc.

Pete

crewmeal
8th Nov 2018, 06:11
Does the 'masterplan' include updated baggage and immigration facilities for arrivals?

golf yankee one one
8th Nov 2018, 13:32
I have a thought about the "masterplan" which I would only ever share annonymously.

If HS2 and the Birmingham Interchange do happen as planned it is predicted that the journey time to London Euston may fall to as little as 38 minutes. This would make BHX an attractive option for some people travelling to central London, and BHX would, in a way, become one of London's airports.

The airport and the city and the region would then have two options, either to market that new connectivity in some way, or to continue to market BHX solely as a gateway for Birmingham and the midlands region.

sixchannel
8th Nov 2018, 13:39
I have a thought about the "masterplan" which I would only ever share annonymously.

If HS2 and the Birmingham Interchange do happen as planned it is predicted that the journey time to London Euston may fall to as little as 38 minutes. This would make BHX an attractive option for some people travelling to central London, and BHX would, in a way, become one of London's airports.

The airport and the city and the region would then have two options, either to market that new connectivity in some way, or to continue to market BHX solely as a gateway for Birmingham and the midlands region.

Wonder what they'd call it? London (Birmingham) perhaps or maybe London (Midlands)? 😀
Rail link to London post HS2 - A lot of work would need to be done to Birmingham "International' railway station to posh it up. Its a draughty old hole at the best of times.

RealFish
8th Nov 2018, 13:57
Wonder what they'd call it? London (Birmingham) perhaps or maybe London (Midlands)? 😀
Rail link to London post HS2 - A lot of work would need to be done to Birmingham "International' railway station to posh it up. Its a draughty old hole at the best of times.

Birmingham Interchange, built (IIRC) to the east of International, will be a completely new station dedicated to HS2 lines with a new people mover to BHX.

''Consultant Arup is carrying out both the architectural and engineering design (https://www.newcivilengineer.com/business-culture/arup-and-wsp-land-70m-hs2-station-design-deals/10027736.article?search=https%3a%2f%2fwww.newcivilengineer.c om%2fsearcharticles%3fqsearch%3d1%26keywords%3darup+birmingh am+interchange) for the Interchange Station alongside the design of HS2’s London terminus, Euston Station in a deal worth £60M to £70M.
The design for Interchange is now in the detailed design phase with station building plans to be submitted early next year, for a request for approval under Schedule 17 of the Act to the local planning authority''

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/exclusive-hs2-birmingham-interchange-design-change-knocks-year-off-construction/10036869.article

Navpi
8th Nov 2018, 18:23
The master plan is 15 years, 2033 NOT 2023 !
Hence my comment.

The difficulty with the flights ex BHX will be cost, we all know any directs to BHX will attract a premium fare and low frequency. If you are flying to London do you choose multiple frequency and lower cost OR the prospect of a direct to BHX ?

bycrewlgw
9th Nov 2018, 04:14

it would be comparible to Gatwick and quicker than Heathrow if travelling via the Piccadilly line.

The marketing team could be clever in selling the airport as a London terminal but that would surely annoy people in the midlands.

another factor would be the cost of travel on the new trains. Price it too highly and it will be carrying air.

I know that you can purchase rail air fares from wherever to London Euston via BHX so wonder if airlines worked with the rail companies more, more people would fly via BHX. However the uptake of these fares are low. I’ve never seen one.

38 mins is nothing. At the moment the train takes 1hour10 mins and there are A LOT of season ticket holders travelling between these stations and a few who use BHX as their airport of choice.

(I now work for the railway hence in the know)

cheesebag
9th Nov 2018, 14:59
it would be comparible to Gatwick and quicker than Heathrow if travelling via the Piccadilly line.

The marketing team could be clever in selling the airport as a London terminal but that would surely annoy people in the midlands.

another factor would be the cost of travel on the new trains. Price it too highly and it will be carrying air.

I know that you can purchase rail air fares from wherever to London Euston via BHX so wonder if airlines worked with the rail companies more, more people would fly via BHX. However the uptake of these fares are low. I’ve never seen one.

38 mins is nothing. At the moment the train takes 1hour10 mins and there are A LOT of season ticket holders travelling between these stations and a few who use BHX as their airport of choice.

(I now work for the railway hence in the know)

London Birmingham Airport.... has a ring to it...….

All names taken
9th Nov 2018, 15:39
Hey, here's an idea, let's just rename Britain 'London' and have done with it. It would save all those knowledge poor Americans having to worry themselves that the two things are actually different.

''Hi - where are you from?''
''I'm from England''
''Cool. What part of London do you live in?''

ATNotts
9th Nov 2018, 18:01
Hey, here's an idea, let's just rename Britain 'London' and have done with it. It would save all those knowledge poor Americans having to worry themselves that the two things are actually different.

''Hi - where are you from?''
''I'm from England''
''Cool. What part of London do you live in?''

I love it!!

peterhr
11th Nov 2018, 15:08
[snip]

If you believe that you have not read the masterplan or looked at the artist impression of the expanded departure lounge which they are due to start work on Q1 2019.

As GF says, take a walk down the international pier. Nice and quiet and seats to sit on and a great view of the goings on.

Absolutely essential, they are out of room to introduce more retail in the main lounge and must do something.

sixchannel
11th Nov 2018, 18:28
Absolutely essential, they are out of room to introduce more retail in the main lounge and must do something.
And here's me thinking it was an Airport and not an extension of Merry Hill.
Still, I understand why its Profit before Comfort.
Given that the actual business profit to do with the aircraft themselves is , apparently, so poor, they might be forgiven for closing the runway and building a Superstore on the land.
End of cynical Sunday.

ATNotts
12th Nov 2018, 06:50
And here's me thinking it was an Airport and not an extension of Merry Hill.
Still, I understand why its Profit before Comfort.
Given that the actual business profit to do with the aircraft themselves is , apparently, so poor, they might be forgiven for closing the runway and building a Superstore on the land.
End of cynical Sunday.

Your assessment could, I suspect, be applied to most airports in UK. Looks as though the adage of how to mark a small fortune (run an airline and start with a large fortune) now applies to airports that seek to make money from aviation activities!!

SWBKCB
12th Nov 2018, 09:47
Much as we like to denigrate them, many people actually like airport shops (somebody I work with memorably said "I don't feel my holidays started until I've bought a new handbag"). With airlines looking to relentlessly cut costs, the airports have to make money some how

crewmeal
12th Nov 2018, 09:50
I see Morrison's are selling litre bottles of Bailey's at £12 this week, plus other offers on booze. Can the airport shops match that?

TSR2
12th Nov 2018, 20:55
Sainsbury's also sold 1 litre Baileys for £12 for almost one month. Back to £20 now.

sixchannel
12th Nov 2018, 21:10
Sainsbury's also sold 1 litre Baileys for £12 for almost one month. Back to £20 now.
I'm waiting for the Christmas offer from any of them to match Jet2's 1ltr Gordon's 47% proof Gin or especially the delighful Captain Mrgans Spiced Rum - both effectively at 12 bottles a pound! Hic! Lol!

Plane.Silly
13th Nov 2018, 07:17
Any chance we could get back on track? things seem to have 'tippled' over here

I'll try to help...Jet2 recently launched their Xmas 19-20 city programme. Still keeping EWR off the cards, but plenty more for Iceland and Northern light flights,
Also an increase of flights to VIE and PRG, with BUD and KRK new additions as well (albeit for a limited series)

GayFriendly
14th Nov 2018, 12:42
Well we might all be turning to supermarket spirits with today's news that BE is more than likely going up for sale. Too early to tell what will happen and not fair on anyone to speculate as nothing confirmed but not looking good. Just over a year on from the Monarch collapse I really fear for the staff and BHX in general. At best I think we will see a much slimmed down airline and yet more BHX routes chopped. Fingers crossed they find a buyer and it's not private equity. Trouble is - who will buy?

SWBKCB
14th Nov 2018, 12:58
Well we might all be turning to supermarket spirits with today's news that BE is more than likely going up for sale. Too early to tell what will happen and not fair on anyone to speculate as nothing confirmed but not looking good. Just over a year on from the Monarch collapse I really fear for the staff and BHX in general. At best I think we will see a much slimmed down airline and yet more BHX routes chopped. Fingers crossed they find a buyer and it's not private equity. Trouble is - who will buy?

A great job at not speculating there, GF! :ok:

potash
14th Nov 2018, 16:25
No mention of improving/ expanding things for the poor old sardine-crammed Pax I see.
We've already given up on BHX and its cramped facilities its already expensive car parking and wall to wall retail and have jumped ship to EMA for 2019. Our airline of choice flys from both to our destinations at similar prices and often better timings.
Only time will tell if we've done a wrong 'un.
Well good luck at ema gave up there years a go, i just hope it is not raining on departure or when you return and find your are queuing out side in the rain waiting for customs que just to get inside,
jp

sixchannel
14th Nov 2018, 16:44
Well good luck at ema gave up there years a go, i just hope it is not raining on departure or when you return and find your are queuing out side in the rain waiting for customs que just to get inside,
jp
No different then to the good old Monarch days at BHX. Parked out on the apron, rain or shine.
And FWIW out of 3 Jet2 trips this year LS1229/1230 BHX - FUE - BHX, the Airbridge was only used twice, once outbund and once on Arrival. The other 4 times were via the good old bus or walk - just lke EMA will be, I guess.

GayFriendly
14th Nov 2018, 22:12
A great job at not speculating there, GF! :ok:
Sorry! Not quite sure how I msnaged to go from not speculate then speculate in a few words. I blame my jetlag....

Whatever the case is worrying times for BHX management, lets hope the outcome is a positive one for all concerned.

ssflyer
15th Nov 2018, 08:11
There has been negative comment about baggage handling for EK
My experience off EK37 on Tuesday evening was fine,the only complaint was the escalator down to Passport Control was,as usual,taken out of action and there was a queue for the tiny lift.
Once in the hall we were through in less than 3 minutes (3 aircraft in) and our luggage was already on the belt.
Long may it continue...
SS

sixchannel
15th Nov 2018, 08:28
There has been negative comment about baggage handling for EK
My experience off EK37 on Tuesday evening was fine,the only complaint was the escalator down to Passport Control was,as usual,taken out of action and there was a queue for the tiny lift.
Once in the hall we were through in less than 3 minutes (3 aircraft in) and our luggage was already on the belt.
Long may it continue...
SS
Lucky you! Our experience of EK39 was dreadful but I guess in hindsight it WAS Midday ''rush hour" and BHX can't be expected to deal with this every day event.

OltonPete
15th Nov 2018, 21:27

Blue Air schedule currently being loaded 4 a week same as last year until mid June then a new Wednesday service making 5 a week - in the end better than expected.

Diversions the overnight closures are not holding BHX back too much this week

Five from Southampton Wednesday

At least seven tonight - Bristol. Southend (2), London City (2) Stansted (2) - The Netjets seemed to be going to Stansted and then Luton but broke off on finals and headed north to BHX

Six from Bristol last Friday as well.

Pete

OltonPete
23rd Nov 2018, 21:44
BHX Press Release (https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/media-information/news/2018/11/birmingham-airport-experiences-best-october-on-record/)

After months of negative figures an impressive turnaround as the Monarch decreases work themselves out.

The bit to take out of these is "record October". 1,141,864 was the final figure and November should also be a record and the % increase greater.

Fairly quiet week a few Bristol diversions today but these are getting routine these days. However not much noted route news wise although Emirates operated both flights on 3 class aircraft but it is November.

Pete

GayFriendly
25th Nov 2018, 03:39
Pete,

A great set of figures indeed and a welcome move to positivity!

It is amazing to think it is already one year since the collapse of ZB, it only seems like minutes to me!

With increases for S19 from Jet2, TCX and TUI, lets hope it is a much brighter year for BHX than 2018. The cloud on the horizon of course is what will happen to BE, whatever does happen will see big changes for BHX, lets hope these are for the positive although I worry that both parties rumoured to be interested (IAG & Virgin) are looking at BE as an opportunity to feed traffic into LHR (and for Virgin MAN), I am not sure how BHX, SOU, EXT etc would fit into either parties current route networks, unless we see a return of something like BA Regional or Virgin Little Red (neither of which in previous incarnations were very successful).

Of course we also have a host of lost routes and carriers, now that BHX is perhaps in a more 'sustainable' place and assuming we now see some continued growth in pax, perhaps some of these routes will re-appear, one can only but hope as always with BHX....

BHX5DME
25th Nov 2018, 07:21
Pete,

A great set of figures indeed and a welcome move to positivity!

It is amazing to think it is already one year since the collapse of ZB, it only seems like minutes to me!

With increases for S19 from Jet2, TCX and TUI, lets hope it is a much brighter year for BHX than 2018. The cloud on the horizon of course is what will happen to BE, whatever does happen will see big changes for BHX, lets hope these are for the positive although I worry that both parties rumoured to be interested (IAG & Virgin) are looking at BE as an opportunity to feed traffic into LHR (and for Virgin MAN), I am not sure how BHX, SOU, EXT etc would fit into either parties current route networks, unless we see a return of something like BA Regional or Virgin Little Red (neither of which in previous incarnations were very successful).

Of course we also have a host of lost routes and carriers, now that BHX is perhaps in a more 'sustainable' place and assuming we now see some continued growth in pax, perhaps some of these routes will re-appear, one can only but hope as always with BHX....

TCX in S19 is down on this year
Jet 2 and TUI will hopefully be the main growth drivers
Hopefully BHX can back up to 13m but FlyBe is the big concern and they have well over 2m seats pa ex BHX

crewmeal
26th Nov 2018, 05:23
Turkish Airlines in last week’s schedule update extended schedule listing into winter 2019/20 season, on/after 27OCT19. In preliminary schedule filing, additional routes to be served by 737 MAX 9 was filed, but not covered on Airlineroute.

Planned 737 MAX 9 service in W19 as follows.
Istanbul – Birmingham eff 28OCT19 4 weekly

Nice to see a 737 MAX on a regular schedule into Brum (courtesy of airlineroute)

OltonPete
28th Nov 2018, 18:56
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1438x753/screenshot_4__9c00eb1ff0ef351ef4474d3f7831efcec4ba82ab.png
Obviously you can see I haven't finished but I picked out the important/easy ones.

Qatar -OMG and it goes to show it doesn't matter how good loads are it means nothing in terms of yield otherwise Delhi would not have been slashed.........or there again we are on about Air India, Overall not too bad but of course the Monarch figures are filtering out although still some loads heading in the right direction or like Vienna just getting worse. Source: CAA for the passenger figures, FR24 for the rotations and aircraft types - Load Factors are estimated based on best estimates from various sources. You have to remember a lot of routes have the business class section moveable so you can never get an accurate load factor on Lufthansa, Air France etc. There must be diversion pax in some routes as Gdansk and Katowice would be over 100% as I don't think there were any extras

Special Credit: Scottie Dog for giving me an idiots guide and this one followed it!

Jet2 started their short season Ivalo today which I think is twice a week

Pete

ZULUBOY
17th Dec 2018, 10:05
Nick Barton previously of Luton

ATNotts
17th Dec 2018, 10:17
Nick Barton previously of Luton

Cue the bar room HR directors popping up to say why he is the wrong person for the job!!!:ugh:

LTNman
17th Dec 2018, 13:18
From the Luton Thread

Nick Barton is leaving Luton and will join BHX in January after four years with Luton and eight at Stansted, where he was managing director.
At Birmingham, he will oversee a £500 million upgrade and expansion. It is planned to grow the facility from the current 13 million passengers a year to 18 million.

At Luton he oversaw expansion from 12 million passengers to 18 million at a cost of £160 million. Watch the guy carefully as he might well cut the plans to the bone with a low rent finish like he did at Luton.

LGS6753
17th Dec 2018, 16:43
Well, Brum will be spending £500m on what cost Luton £160m!

ATNotts
17th Dec 2018, 16:50
Well, Brum will be spending £500m on what cost Luton £160m!

I imagine that this disparity may well have something to do with BHX looking to cater for full service carriers that expect some sort of level of service for passengers who have paid dearly for their business class tickets, whereas LTN caters pretty well exclusively for no frills carriers, who's customers might want, but won't get full service facilities - or at least I guess that is the thinking.

GayFriendly
17th Dec 2018, 19:15
Well he oversaw a huge growth at LTN in both pax figures and flights, I think he will be exactly the shot in the arm BHX needs to pull it out of its slumbers.

Yes, it will be a difficult act to balance the needs of full cost and loco airlines in terms of expansion (or the needs that we on this forum perceive them to be) but EDI have managed pretty well to do so with long haul, full service and loco (an FR base that serves over 50 destinations in summer, not to mention a big EZY base as well!) there is no reason why BHX can't keep its full service carriers happy whilst encouraging much needed growth in loco service destinations and frequency and who knows maybe some new long haul (OK that's probably too much to hope for...).

Will he chase after EZY, who knows?

I wish him all the best and I do think it is positive and exciting news for BHX, if only to see what direction he eventually takes the airport in once he has settled into the role

ATNotts
18th Dec 2018, 07:14
Yes, it will be a difficult act to balance the needs of full cost and loco airlines in terms of expansion (or the needs that we on this forum perceive them to be) but EDI have managed pretty well to do so with long haul, full service and loco (an FR base that serves over 50 destinations in summer, not to mention a big EZY base as well!) there is no reason why BHX can't keep its full service carriers happy whilst encouraging much needed growth in loco service destinations and frequency and who knows maybe some new long haul (OK that's probably too much to hope for...).

EDI isn't 2 hours down the road from the two principal UK gateways for longhaul travel, and is a capital city with a big inbound tourist market. BHX does have a good business base however, and hopefully the new CEO won't lose sight of this in a dash to grow the "discounter" segment of the market. Not every passenger wants Aldi and Lidl service, some prefer Sainsburys and Waitrose. I'm sure he's bright enough not to!

GayFriendly
19th Dec 2018, 07:24
BHX will never replicate the hugely expanded network at EDI as you rightly point out they are in different markets and locations in terms of other airports.

My point is that EDI have mostly managed to allow legacy and low cost to flourish alongside each other. So has MAN who were IMO even later than BHX to wake up to the need to attract loco carriers but have done so very successfully.

Their business models must be flexible enough to do so. BHX needs to adapt its business model likewise to grow (faced with such intense competition for pax from MAN, LTN and perhaps BRS) as like it or not, growth at most UK regional airports in the past decade has been mostly loco

BHX needs to further look at its cost base and become more commercially attractive to airlines across all spectrums to enhance its network and hence attractiveness to pax.

crewmeal
20th Dec 2018, 06:02
BHX needs to further look at its cost base and become more commercially attractive to airlines across all spectrums to enhance its network and hence attractiveness to pax.

Why BHX needs to charge such exorbitant fees to carriers is beyond me. Lets hope the new MD will look at this and do something about it.

OltonPete
23rd Dec 2018, 14:12
Why BHX needs to charge such exorbitant fees to carriers is beyond me. Lets hope the new MD will look at this and do something about it.

You would hope this was made clear at interview. He might have conceded no major change of business model as part of the job or hopefully he can use his own ideas.

November 2018 - BIRMINGHAM.....824,531...... up...….7.44%

Highlights.....most core routes up although one that was down was actually good compared to other UK airports and one that was up was terrible still and no guesses where I am going with this.

Dubai....53489...……….446 pax….77% (18 3 class varying 489-519 seats) down 5%
Qatar.....8633...……….144 pax…..57% up 8%

Obviously not a great month for either but: -

STN-DXB...…...15385...…….256 per flight...……...72%...……. 354 seats
EDI-DXB---------11084...…….252 per flight...……...70%.........360 mainly with some 354 seats
GLA-DXB...…….32490...……272 per flight...……...76%
MAN-DXB...…...74346...…….413 per flight...……...75%...……Manchester load factor might be slightly higher depending on how many 489 seat config operated
NCL-DXB...…...18104...…….302 per flight...…….. 74%,,,,,,,,,,mix of 360/428 mainly the latter
BHX-DXB...…...53489...… .446 per flight..............77%

Qatar are grim everywhere with Cardiff 119 per flight 47%, BHX, 144 er flight 57%,, EDI 175 per flight 60% and Manchester 173 per flight 61%.

Turkish at BHX up 8% 10164 121 per flight around 75%.

Pete

SWBKCB
23rd Dec 2018, 14:28
Manchester load factor might be slightly higher depending on how many 489 seat config operated

Apologies for going off topic, but always a bit baffled by these sorts of comments. We know that load factor isn't particulary relevant, but surely it should be calculated based on what the route is sold as rather than what actually turns up on the day i.e. the load factor of a poorly selling route is artificially inflated if a smaller/alternatively configured a/c is usedp?

OltonPete
23rd Dec 2018, 15:21
Apologies for going off topic, but always a bit baffled by these sorts of comments. We know that load factor isn't particulary relevant, but surely it should be calculated based on what the route is sold as rather than what actually turns up on the day i.e. the load factor of a poorly selling route is artificially inflated if a smaller/alternatively configured a/c is usedp?

I do see your point but it is really to add a bit of context to show that often the expected aircraft has been changed. There is absolutely no way of knowing what seats were actually on sale although in respect of BHX, the 2 class A380 was changed 18 times over the two flights in November and these were known about months in advance and it was clear some flights were capped at 519 or 489 but I have no idea of how many. Same for Glasgow where I am sure they had a 98% load factor based on what was due but again no idea how many were planned at 428 two class rather than three class.

Pete

sparkie320
23rd Dec 2018, 16:00
Has anyone got any news on the Cityjet Superjets operations
was planning a trip to BHX between Xmas and New Year to grab couple of shots of one
before they go in march
when best day and times operate please

thanks
mark

diffident
23rd Dec 2018, 18:21
Sky News are reporting that flights at Birmingham are suspended because of an ATC problem... not a lot of detail though.

BHX5DME
23rd Dec 2018, 18:33
Sky News are reporting that flights at Birmingham are suspended because of an ATC problem... not a lot of detail though.

Been closed 90 mins now with Air India to LHR & Emirates to MAN
Others to EMA

inOban
23rd Dec 2018, 18:36
Failure of the electronic flight plan system, according to the spokesperson quoted on the BBC

BHX5DME
23rd Dec 2018, 18:43
Failure of the electronic flight plan system, according to the spokesperson quoted on the BBC

Now open and EK388 on approach

VickersVicount
23rd Dec 2018, 19:50
Oh I had no idea the UK QR loads were as poor as they are across the board. Why all the upgauging then? We were once told it was all about J class loads and cargo.
I presume LHR does well though

chaps1954
23rd Dec 2018, 23:41
The thing is both EDI and MAN have had impressive increases in Oct and November figures compared to last year which was due to the restrictions that Saudi and UAE placed on
the airline

Ian

OltonPete
24th Dec 2018, 13:35
The thing is both EDI and MAN have had impressive increases in Oct and November figures compared to last year which was due to the restrictions that Saudi and UAE placed on
the airline

Ian

Not sure where you are going with this one. Manchester in November 17 carried 22281 on 136 sectors at 164 per flight at 65% load factor and it makes good business sense to end up with a brand new aircraft operating and you reduce load factor to 61%. Sure there are more business seats and you might cover your costs if these are sold at full fare but the chances are you have trashed prices to compete with the competition and made less money. EDI to be fair has increased pax per flight and load factor but only going from really bad to bad.

In my opinion the Qatar decision is based on the political situation in the ME and having to utilize shiny new planes elsewhere that might have on the DXB-DOH(10 daily) or Jeddah/Riyadh - okay a slight exaggeration as not many if any 359's would have been allocated to these routes but they did have some widedodies plying these route and it was quite possible that a couple of 359's would have been taken up on them.

None of us know the yields from any of their routes but based on industry norms, not may mid to long-haul operators increase routes based on 55-65% load factors.

Pete

Scottie Dog
24th Dec 2018, 17:39
I think he was just referring to Manchester having had increases of 13% in October and 21% in November, in comparison with the same months in 2017, on the Doha route - which is reasonable.

chaps1954
24th Dec 2018, 21:05
Thanks Scottie, that is exactly what I meant. Would have replied earlier but just finished a very busy day at work and I`m knackered

Hope every one has a wonderfull Christmas

Ian

OltonPete
24th Dec 2018, 22:15
Thanks Scottie, that is exactly what I meant. Would have replied earlier but just finished a very busy day at work and I`m knackered

Hope every one has a wonderfull Christmas

Ian

Crossed wires and I will leave it there. Passenger figures from the CAA and my estimates for average pax per flight and load factors, Vienna is Eurowings only and will need adjusting if the Jet2 Vienna are included but the figures are low. Agadir although new surely can't last and although Doha was up as previously mentioned it is still awful. I did have a compare on 2017 load factors but didn't copy across. Flybe were mainly lower in 2017 and a clear change of fewer flights and more bums on seats and hopefully BHX is making money now and certainly the Christmas extras were a surprise and they would be a great loss with over 100 movements some days.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1837x723/screenshot_7__43beb3f2a880b2dad76d835dc9c5cdd4bc864763.png
Pete

BHX5DME
6th Jan 2019, 15:43
IndiGo to start Delhi-Istanbul daily flights from April; Birmingham and Moscow on the cards .. Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/67406378.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/67406378.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst)

CabinCrewe
6th Jan 2019, 16:19
wasnt there a similar newspaper article last year? Or was it MAN rather than BHX then?
Would be surprised if this came to anything (this year anyway)

Rutan16
6th Jan 2019, 16:28
Looks like they are going to try to do something similar to the Air Blu fiasco one stop narrow body flexible fares and limited connectivity - Competing with a much larger incumbent flying larger and more frequently directly to their Sub continent Hub with extensive regional connections beyond.

Oh and their preferred UK Airport is already known and it’s on the Surrey and Sussex fringes and subject to gaining sufficient and useful slots.

I think the sales team at Birmingham would be better placed in pressuring Air India into restoring Delhi to daily nonstop at the earliest opportunity imho.

They could also do well in targeting further sandpit operators specifically either or both of Oman or, Gulf Air - they are about to recommence some long haul expansion I believe - One to win over Manchester imho.

There are still issues at a political level in India that kibosh meaningful international expansion from their flexible fares and low cost business model carriers beyond the opensky’s migrant worker sand pit routes.
This is combined with antiquated seating capacity limits instilled in many of their bilateral agreements rather the frequency limits.

BTW this has a nasty habit of back fireing because each time an Indian carrier ups their seating offerings into the UAE , Emirates matches it pulling even MORE of the valuable long haul market via their desert hub !

Final thing UK -India has a high level of imports in the belly of those Widebodies that simply can’t be carried in the 321LR or 738 maxes.

I think those are better used and were designed for use within inter Asia and US transcontinental operations and as a sideline shorter EU/UK - Eastern Seaboard routes. They really aren’t suited to Sub continent- Western Europe imho , though will reduce costs across the northern Indian Ocean routes without doubt.

GayFriendly
6th Jan 2019, 20:28
Great post Rutnan16 and couldn't agree more re. AI. Get DEL back to daily rather than an operator with no long haul experience and who would probably up sticks to LGW as soon as the slots are available...... Gulf Air are rumoured to be looking at long haul expansion as are Saudi. Both have potential at BHX (indeed Gulf Air very nearly arrived at BHX in the form of Gulf Traveller using 767''s to AUH but pulled out at last minute). Not so sure about Oman, they have struggled with MAN loads although they are improving now.

Off the wall, I wonder if Scoot would work to SIN? Surely enough leisure traffic to go round despite SQ ops at LHR and MAN?

OltonPete
6th Jan 2019, 21:48
Great post Rutnan16 and couldn't agree more re. AI. Get DEL back to daily rather than an operator with no long haul experience and who would probably up sticks to LGW as soon as the slots are available...... Gulf Air are rumoured to be looking at long haul expansion as are Saudi. Both have potential at BHX (indeed Gulf Air very nearly arrived at BHX in the form of Gulf Traveller using 767''s to AUH but pulled out at last minute). Not so sure about Oman, they have struggled with MAN loads although they are improving now.

Off the wall, I wonder if Scoot would work to SIN? Surely enough leisure traffic to go round despite SQ ops at LHR and MAN?

I agree, good post as ever Rutan16 but I must admit pressurizing AI made me smile a little, can you imagine trying to deal with anything to do with aviation in India!!!!!!!!! Also I don't think BHX need any encouragement to talk to anyone in the long-haul business (although not too successfully recently), they seem to forever on the road but I get the impression short-haul they are not so keen.

Anyway tomorrow sees a new broom and will he (Nick Barton) sweep clean or just tow the shareholders line more than ever. The good news is at least someone is in the hot-seat and what a hot-seat it is - MAEL gone, Flybe up for sale let alone the B word. There should be some interesting staff meetings in the next few days and I am sure his feet will not touch the ground this month.

Indigo at first glance don't offer much if it is a one-stop Delhi where if any destination is needed it would be Mumbai. I am also not so sure any other Gulf flights are required and as long as Qatar stay, I am sure restoring the early morning Emirates will be a priority although 2 x 615 seat A380's seem to fit perfectly at the moment.

The real tough one is convincing any airline to go west especially a summer Toronto which is inexplicable and the old boring argument that it is a dying market s in my opinion a far too simplistic excuse or due the offering to the north and south of BHX. It is a tough ask to persuade an airline to operate BHX-YYZ but with the new, more efficient narrow-bodies it should be possible, difficult, but possible.

In other news, BHX seems to have come off fairly reasonably with the latest TUI changes from one of BHX's star airlines although the loss of Madeira is a shocker and as it was a Monday flight, tomorrow sees as many long-haul as short-haul flights (2 each), as it has not been replaced. Note, it has gone permanently leaving a gap in summer 2019 as well but still get an extra based aircraft but some further changes .

In keeping with past years Agadir is chopped before it starts this summer although it is bookable in winter 2019/20. The Thursday slot is replaced by Fridays Antalya which I think was Freedbird. The summer 2019 Monday Enfidha which is new now operates back into EMA so out for the day but overall still a stunning schedule. There are also some cuts in the next few weeks until February half-term which were late but understandable.

The aircraft CRJ-1000 (CRX's) are bountiful from tomorrow with Brussels Airlines now using these and SAS Copenhagen on the evening flight.

Qatar have moved the Friday flight from morning to afternoon for summer which I presume is for connection purpose.

Wizz Poznan finished Saturday and the route is now not served and no sign of the Harps taking this one but at least Cluj is up and running.

Flybe start their reduced schedule tomorrow but still a creditable 48 flights and no doubt Mr Barton will be keeping a close eye on what happens with them.

In really will be after the Lord Mayors show for the next 5 weeks after a fantastic holiday period with TUI 789's and the 744 on the Friday Cancun, extra based Ryanair, Newquay and Nantes operating for Flybe plus masses of extra Jet2 and even Thomas Cook joined the party. However most have now ended although FR are still 4 based tomorrow but Thomas Cook has just one flight outbound.

Pete

ATNotts
7th Jan 2019, 07:34
wasnt there a similar newspaper article last year? Or was it MAN rather than BHX then?
Would be surprised if this came to anything (this year anyway)

Frankly I'm as likely to believe an aviation story emanating from The Times of India as I would a forecast of a heat wave or arctic cold spell from the Daily Express!!

GayFriendly
7th Jan 2019, 09:11
In keeping with past years Agadir is chopped before it starts this summer

Hopefully this means Air Arabia will stay on this route over the summer although I have my doubts going on their loads

Anyway tomorrow sees a new broom and will he (Nick Barton) sweep clean or just tow the shareholders line more than ever.

Sadly I fear the latter, although will be delighted to be proved wrong. Things would be quite different at BHX if it was owned and managed by a private company instead of county councils - not all would be positive of course but I think it would be punching at as opposed to below its weight.

The real tough one is convincing any airline to go west especially a summer Toronto which is inexplicable

I hope this is very high up on Mr Barton's to do list

The fly in the ointment for 2019 for BHX (as many other airports in the UK) is BE. A case of waiting and seeing but I fear for sure changes are ahead that will have a big effect on BHX.

Frankly I'm as likely to believe an aviation story emanating from The Times of India as I would a forecast of a heat wave or arctic cold spell from the Daily Express!!

Very true! Mix in the politics of aviation in India and I think we have a non-story re: Indigo. Personally I would be inclined to believe any Times of India story over any of the vile bile spouted out by the Express!!

ATNotts
7th Jan 2019, 11:06
Sadly I fear the latter, although will be delighted to be proved wrong. Things would be quite different at BHX if it was owned and managed by a private company instead of county councils - not all would be positive of course but I think it would be punching at as opposed to below its weight.

If I'm not mistaken, the majority of shares in BHX are private not public. The councils make up on 49%. Might be wrong on that. Manchester however contrived to keep a majority of their airport in the hands of the local authorities, albeit at arms length. Hasn't done them much harm. At the end of the say the CEO's job is to return value to the shareholders, and BHX has been pretty successful at that in recent years.

Personally I would be inclined to believe any Times of India story over any of the vile bile spouted out by the Express!!

I agree absolutely, but I was thinking more of their silly weather stories, and twisted stuff on health, Maddie and Dianna that get plastered over the front page!

GayFriendly
22nd Jan 2019, 18:27
Interesting article in TTG Online about Jet2 and the delivery of its 100th aircraft.

It states no planned new routes for 2020 and if they do, it will be one or two only. It also firmly states no new bases and they want to make sure existing bases grow. the 100th aircraft will be used to help bolster frequencies on existing routes.

The good news is that it specifically states BHX (and STN!) as their fastest growing bases and these are central to any future growth.

They also say they have a lot of cash in the bank and are not adversely worried by Brexit.

After such a difficult couple of years at BHX with airlines disappearing at a rate of knots (and with the future of BE still very much 'up in the air' pardon the pun) it is reassuring to know that Jet2 are committed to BHX and although cautious have obviously long term plans for sustainable growth of the base. Whilst we may not see new routes, I think they will continue to bring in more pax year on year as they grow frequencies on existing ones, which actually number of 40 this summer, not to be sniffed at!.

If only BHX could attract a carrier that could fill some of the 'city break' gaps that have left a big hole in its schedules, that would be just great!

Plane.Silly
23rd Jan 2019, 11:09
Interesting article in TTG Online about Jet2 and the delivery of its 100th aircraft.

It states no planned new routes for 2020 and if they do, it will be one or two only. It also firmly states no new bases and they want to make sure existing bases grow. the 100th aircraft will be used to help bolster frequencies on existing routes.

The good news is that it specifically states BHX (and STN!) as their fastest growing bases and these are central to any future growth.

They also say they have a lot of cash in the bank and are not adversely worried by Brexit.

After such a difficult couple of years at BHX with airlines disappearing at a rate of knots (and with the future of BE still very much 'up in the air' pardon the pun) it is reassuring to know that Jet2 are committed to BHX and although cautious have obviously long term plans for sustainable growth of the base. Whilst we may not see new routes, I think they will continue to bring in more pax year on year as they grow frequencies on existing ones, which actually number of 40 this summer, not to be sniffed at!.

If only BHX could attract a carrier that could fill some of the 'city break' gaps that have left a big hole in its schedules, that would be just great!

NO doubt BHX will be on their radar for additional aircraft and routes. From 4 to 8 and now to 10 for S19, the growth has been huge. Could very easily see another 2/3 added to that.
Depends which city breaks you're referring to, they already serve several: FCO, KRK, PRG, PSA, VRN. Plenty more opportunity i'd imagine

GayFriendly
24th Jan 2019, 08:50
Yes they do some city routes but I was thinking of Lisbon, Nice, Athens primarily, all routes I doubt they will launch in the short term at least. Other routes (not necessarily cities) that would be nice although probably only seasonal: Seville, Marrakesh, Stockholm, Valencia, Marseille plus Sardinia, Sicily, even the Azores....

Going on load factor alone they could do with higher frequency on FCO outside the summer months.

I don't think cities or 'out the box' routes feature highly in their plans as they seem to only ever launch new routes from multiple UK bases so I doubt we would ever see BHX-LIS or BHX-OLB launched as stand alone routes for example. I don't know who else would apart from EZY and we all know that's never going to happen.

However great to have a strong and focused airline at BHX flying many of the key routes that the local catchment seem to be content flying to n a regular basis.

jon01
25th Jan 2019, 18:24
Corendon Airlines Europe

Schedule for the forthcoming Marrakesh charter series:

10:45 / 12:15 B738 XR8845 / XR8846 RAK - MAN Day 4 (Thu) 14 Feb - 25 Apr 2019 (FORTNIGHTLY)

OltonPete
26th Jan 2019, 10:46
[QUOTE=GayFriendly;10369167

Going on load factor alone they could do with higher frequency on FCO outside the summer months.

I don't think cities or 'out the box' routes feature highly in their plans as they seem to only ever launch new routes from multiple UK bases so I doubt we would ever see BHX-LIS or BHX-OLB launched as stand alone routes for example..[/QUOTE]

Jet2 Rome must be either availability of reasonable slots or they just make more on BHX sun routes as the you are right, the stats point to a requirement for more frequencies. I believe the lack of Nice might be slots and Lisbon must be close but realistically only I can only see LBA or BFS as the only other bases needing an LIS flight or perhaps Stansted but that would be up against FR.

Ryanair- They have either found a Palma slot or gap in the Palma based schedule as the summer 19 Saturday flight has been restored in the afternoon making 10 a week. They have an extra Dublin next Friday and Sunday no doubt for the six Nations- 14 consecutive inbounds full from next Saturday evening. Cheltenham week is still a bit disappointing with only two extra flights on the Friday although ten intotal on the Tuesday. Still on track to lose a Ryanair destination in absolutely ages with Vilnius not bookable after the end of March.

easyjet - Getting close to the Belfast increase 5th February 3 daily except Saturday and for a Tuesday it has never been 3 daily ever.

Lufthansa - LH952/3 returns Monday from its annual break which is a bit earlier than some years.

Thomas Cook winter 2019/2020 - Still showing back to two based but in line with other bases and looks good compared to some.

TUI - Per the TUI thread the extra aircraft next summer is a 757 which I didn't see coming to actually to get more 757's when some are leaving the fleet.
Pete

ssflyer
27th Jan 2019, 08:33
OP/Jet2
" I believe the lack of Nice might be slots"
I am told the driver is Jet2 Holidays (50%-65% of pax,depending on who you talk to) and until hotel packages are put in place the flights won't happen-slots are not an issue(?)
SSF

OltonPete
30th Jan 2019, 22:32
OP/Jet2
" I believe the lack of Nice might be slots"
I am told the driver is Jet2 Holidays (50%-65% of pax,depending on who you talk to) and until hotel packages are put in place the flights won't happen-slots are not an issue(?)
SSF

Must have prioritised Stansted over BHX though as no problem with frequencies from there.

Ryanair - Another away based Palma added this time a second Thursday from June. 6 Nations extra Dublin Saturday out and Sunday in . Next available outbound seat on FR Dublin 12.15 Saturday (13 consecutive full flights) and nothing inbound from FR668 Saturday night to FR670 Tuesday.

Diversions

More quality than quantity today with the Etihad 789 and Emirates A380 off-loading and night-stopping. Also a reminder what United look like with a TUI 788 and Swiss A223 making up the numbers. Quite an unusual day as quiet on one hand with just 2 Jet2 flights although 2 more than some bases, only around 35 Flybe but in the end with GA, freight and diversions it turned out well although a gap did appear between FR749 at 14.16 and FR1449 at 15.39 on the inbound front. A bizarre airport at times with around 250 movements but includes 3 A388's, a couple 789's (EY & NAX), a few 788's (2 x TUI, QR & AI) and an AN26.

MAEL - As mentioned above one of the 789 movements was the Norwegian 789 finally leaving at 15.33 for Oslo leaving just the Air Malta A320 which apparently was hangered at some point.

Pete

jon01
4th Feb 2019, 05:24
Turkmenistan

This will affect flights to Birmingham for the time being:

EASA has temporarily banned Turkmenistan Airlines from operating flights to the EU (https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkmenistan)

ATNotts
4th Feb 2019, 07:20
Turkmenistan

EASA has temporarily banned Turkmenistan Airlines from operating flights to the EU (https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkmenistan)

If this is more than a very short term technical / documentation issue I can see the likes of Air India, Turkish, Emirates and Qatar all benefiting handsomely from this situation. It comes just ahead of the half term holidays and there will surely be a lot of bums looking for seats to the Sub Continent.

Navpi
4th Feb 2019, 16:03
Given the enormous upheaval to passengers, "Benefiting Handsomely " is possibly not the most appropriate way to describe the situation.

Whats the phrase silk purse, sow's ear ?

ATNotts
4th Feb 2019, 16:59
Given the enormous upheaval to passengers, "Benefiting Handsomely " is possibly not the most appropriate way to describe the situation.

Whats the phrase silk purse, sow's ear ?

The benefit, if any, will be to the airlines not to the passengers who will often be making trips of a lifetime, and in many cases have had to have scrimped and saved to buy their tickets. (I'm not inclined to add stuff about thoughts and sympathies so beloved of the internet these days. They are pointless platitudes).

davidjohnson6
4th Feb 2019, 18:03
Turkmenistan Airlines is usually not a carrier of choice between the UK and India if you have plenty of cash - it's likely to be chosen by those who are struggling financially - very much those who have scrimped and saved to buy their tickets. I would imagine that many people who have bought tickets with T5 will not be able to afford to pay for new tickets with another airline until (at the very least) they get a refund on their existing tickets. Given the rather odd ticket sales structure for T5, I imagine it might take a bit longer than usual for refunds to be processed

OltonPete
4th Feb 2019, 20:17
Turkmenistan

Not heard anything detrimental from the BHX end about this airline, few tech delays and virtually no cancellations. Amritsar fog seems the most troublesome aspect of the BHX operation and AV Herald shows a very unremarkable history compared to some airlines. I suppose matters might come to light now but still a bit of a surprise after all these years..

easyjet

Tomorrow sees Belfast increase to 19 a week - the first time Tuesday is up to 3 daily. Seat maps show inbound from BFS 130/156, 130/156, & 125/156 and outbound 72/156, 138/156, & 156/156so not too bad.

Pete

chinapattern
5th Feb 2019, 05:38
There have been rumours over the past few years of Uzbekistan returning - I wonder if now is their opportunity?

Also would Turkmenistan be able to keep hold of their LHR slots until a time when the ban is lifted?

jon01
6th Feb 2019, 17:09
Wamos Air will be operating the Turkmenistan flights with an A330-200 from 06 Feb

David Sharpe
8th Feb 2019, 11:23
Not sure if it has been mentioned anywhere previously, but it looks like Ryanair have also increased their Summer schedule to both Alicante and Malaga.

I think both were previously showing 11 x weekly, but are now running at 13 x weekly, with additional services added from early June.

OltonPete
11th Feb 2019, 18:33

Jet2 - Seem to be loading in a second A321 for summer as rumoured. I only found two on a Saturday in the seating map (DBV/IBZ) but it is hard work on my PC but no doubt will be clearer in a few days.

December 2018 - 825754 up 4.37% - some disappointing individual route figures but will post them another day and still below December 2016

2018 - 12,457,031 down 4% on 2017 (12,990,300)

Pete

LBAflyer22
11th Feb 2019, 19:14
Jet2 - Seem to be loading in a second A321 for summer as rumoured. I only found two on a Saturday in the seating map (DBV/IBZ) but it is hard work on my PC but no doubt will be clearer in a few days.

Pete

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/282870/jet2com-updates-planned-a321-network-expansion-in-s19/

Highlights the latest A321 network on top of what is already planned (BHX DLM, BHX AGP, BHX TFS et.al).

OltonPete
13th Feb 2019, 18:40
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1470x624/screenshot_8__2dec87b079609d7659bce05585db64318d3dcded.png
Pete

OltonPete
13th Feb 2019, 18:53
December 2018 - 825754 up 4.37% - some disappointing individual route figures but will post them another day and still below December 2016

2018 - 12,457,031 down 4% on 2017 (12,990,300)

Pete

Credits: CAA for the actual passenger figures, Flight radar 24 for the rotations (from my paid subscription) and various sites for configs to get an idea of load factors,

Some good figures and some bad plus many average. Amsterdam over 60000 on 11 daily weekday flights but this drops to 10 in summer when flybe reduce to 5 and KLM add one to five but one less than last summer but mainline operates lunchtime for part of the season.

Vienna includes the Jet2 few flights and pleasing to see Turkish and PIA up. Fewer Air India pax as it is now 6 a week but a decent load factor. Flybe are similar load factors to 2017 with Qatar and Dubai down as they were like for like in terms of rotations. Obviously load factors are subjective as a lot of airlines with two class configurations will not sell 100% of the aircraft keeping the middle seat free in business.

Pete

Adrian68
14th Feb 2019, 11:05
Updated Turkmenistan Timetable

15FEB 01MAR ....5.. BHX ASB 1350# 0110 T5 426 332 N
17FEB 03MAR ......7 BHX ASB 1715# 0435 T5 430 332 N
26FEB .2..... BHX ASB 2120# 0830 T5 420 332 N

16FEB 02MAR .....6. ASB BHX 1225 1405 T5 427 332 N
18FEB 04MAR 1...... ASB BHX 1550 1740 T5 417 332 N
27FEB ..3.... ASB BHX 1930 2120 T5 421 332 N

05APR ....5.. BHX ASB 1430# 0050 T5 426 77L N
07APR ......7 BHX ASB 1815# 0435 T5 430 77L N
31MAR 31MAR ......7 BHX ASB 1815# 0435 T5 430 752 N
01APR 1...... BHX ASB 2000# 0620 T5 418 752 N
02APR .2..... BHX ASB 2130# 0750 T5 420 752 N
03APR ..3.... BHX ASB 2230# 0850 T5 422 77L N

05APR ....5.. ASB BHX 1010 1300 T5 425 77L N
31MAR 31MAR ......7 ASB BHX 1325 1615 T5 429 752 N
07APR ......7 ASB BHX 1325 1615 T5 429 77L N
01APR 1...... ASB BHX 1550 1830 T5 417 752 N
02APR .2..... ASB BHX 1720 2000 T5 419 752 N
03APR ..3.... ASB BHX 1820 2100 T5 421 77L N

Can change and probably will

Fried_Chicken
28th Feb 2019, 12:18
Is there any news on the old MAEL hangar, is a new tenant lined up yet?

FC

OltonPete
1st Mar 2019, 11:50
Is there any news on the old MAEL hangar, is a new tenant lined up yet?

FC

MAEL HI FC absolutely nothing heard but I believe the Gainjet 734 is inside.

January 2019

Source: CAA - January 2019 781258 +5%...….2018... 746609...……2017.....776646...…..2016...….667733.

Only slighlyt above 2017 and I hope the CEO focusses on that rather than the increase year on year.

These figures are okay but nothing compared to Luton and Edinburgh and a couple of points below Manchester.

Will he be happy with his lot or show ambition as more and more friends and work colleagues head north and south travelling to such exotic locations as Lisbon, Florida, Nice etc

Pete

ATNotts
2nd Mar 2019, 08:11
Source: CAA - January 2019 781258 +5%...….2018... 746609...……2017.....776646...…..2016...….667733.

Only slight above 2017 and I hope the CEO focusses on that rather than the increase year on year.

His primary focus will be delivering profit for shareholders; that will probably require organic, rather than meteoric growth.

GayFriendly
2nd Mar 2019, 12:54
EDI and LTN are now streets ahead of BHX in terms of pax numbers, growth, routes etc and will now always be. I'm sure their shareholders are happy enough so I don't know why BHX should settle for organic growth to keep theirs happy.

The strong point BHX has is it's portfolio of legacy carriers and appeal of these to business/frequent fliers for both short and long haul connections which LTN and BRS (despite their much stronger European networks) don't have.

Perhaps the new CEO should rename it London-Birmingham.....Has worked a treat for Luton and now give or take a couple of hiccups for Southend. Might put us back on airline marketing teams radar again. After all it's around 1hr 20 mins to Euston with Virgin from International as opposed to nearly an hour from Southend on a local commuter train.

I'll get my coat.....

virginblue
2nd Mar 2019, 13:13
Interesting figures above. There are some details that caught my attention, e.g. that Dusseldorf is such a strong destination from BHX (and als MAN) compared to other German airports including the two much larger airports of MUC and FRA. And what also strikes me is the extreme seasonality of Palma as a destination from the UK. You have dozens of daily flights to Palma from German airports in winter, so holiday patterns obvioulsy are very different (from the UK mostly beach goers, from Germany lots of holiday home owners etc.).

OT: No sure why everybody is so obsessed with the travel time from SEN to central London. The train to central London from STN is approx. 5 minutes quicker and that time is easily made up by not having to use a people mover and take an extended walk to the station, queue at immigration/security etc.

sixchannel
2nd Mar 2019, 13:27
EDI and LTN are now streets ahead of BHX in terms of pax numbers, growth, routes etc and will now always be. I'm sure their shareholders are happy enough so I don't know why BHX should settle for organic growth to keep theirs happy.

The strong point BHX has is it's portfolio of legacy carriers and appeal of these to business/frequent fliers for both short and long haul connections which LTN and BRS (despite their much stronger European networks) don't have.

Perhaps the new CEO should rename it London-Birmingham.....Has worked a treat for Luton and now give or take a couple of hiccups for Southend. Might put us back on airline marketing teams radar again. After all it's around 1hr 20 mins to Euston with Virgin from International as opposed to nearly an hour from Southend on a local commuter train.

I'll get my coat.....
"LONDON - MIDLANDS'(LMA?) has a certain ring about it if Long Marston has done with it ;-)

OltonPete
2nd Mar 2019, 14:47
[QUOTE=virginblue;10404835]Interesting figures above. There are some details that caught my attention, e.g. that Dusseldorf is such a strong destination from BHX (and als MAN) compared to other German airports including the two much larger airports of MUC and FRA. And what also strikes me is the extreme seasonality of Palma as a destination from the UK. You have dozens of daily flights to Palma from German airports in winter, so holiday patterns obvioulsy are very different (from the UK mostly beach goers, from Germany lots of holiday home owners etc.).

For BHX the links between the Midlands and Ruhr manufacturing bases have remained strong but in general BHX has always edged Manchester on the DUS route although even that has changed recently and Flybe seem to be redirecting the night-stop service to Manchester. Below is the January route analysis - usual credits CAA for the passenger figures, FR24 paid subscription for the rotations and load factor is estimated using various seat-map and airline websites.

Agadir and Vienna are ones that stand out ones for the wrong reasons but overall for January these are very good. I have added last years figures from my spreadsheet as well to compare and around two thirds see increased load factors but of course whether this improved yields we will probably never know.

Obviously probably a bit early to comment on the Flybe figures but some of these would have been booked after the press release of the intention to sell but only a few after the Virgin sale was announced.

Note. Found an error in Turkish and should have been obvious to me as the load factor was way high - average 116 pax 75%. No idea how I got to that figure.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1612x706/screenshot_9__da22b739f82e101b045e0faa8e169ee7542886d7.png
Pete

inOban
2nd Mar 2019, 15:00
I would have thought that BHX's big plus is not its links to London but it links by frequent train or by motorway to more of the UK than any other airport.

Fairdealfrank
2nd Mar 2019, 19:51
"LONDON - MIDLANDS'(LMA?) has a certain ring about it if Long Marston has done with it ;-)

….or London-Elmdon (BHX)?? The country is littered with examples: London-Oxford (Kidlington) and London-Ashford (Lydd) are two examples. Wasn't Bournemouth going to be renamed "London-West" in the FR style of Weeze, Hahn, Charleroi, etc.?

I would have thought that BHX's big plus is not its links to London but it links by frequent train or by motorway to more of the UK than any other airport.

Quite right, it's not the train journey time to/from London that is the issue, the Birmingham conurbation is too big for its airport to be yet another "London" airport.

OltonPete
6th Mar 2019, 20:37
Airlineroute reporting that Turkish will use the 7M9 from late May and indeed booking engines showing an all MAX operation most days - the morning is a 7M8 and afternoon the 7M9.

Obviously this summer sees the restoration of double daily and probably a seat increase as the 7M9 offers up to 169 seats although last summer did see several 739;s with the same capacity but the schedule was only 12 a week.

Ryanair loading winter 2019/20 with the only possible surprise is that Porto is bookable for most of the winter. It has operated in winter before and had moderate loads and allegedly rubbish yields and vanished completely for a few years. Of the few flights bookable the frequencies are the same as this winter although Verona showing just weekly.

Pete

ZULUBOY
10th Mar 2019, 17:33
Due to fly next Saturday from BHX to LPA via BRU on the 6.20am flight . I can see the last two 6.20 flights have been cancelled and tomorrow's flight is as well. Should I be worried?

BHX5DME
10th Mar 2019, 18:26
Due to fly next Saturday from BHX to LPA via BRU on the 6.20am flight . I can see the last two 6.20 flights have been cancelled and tomorrow's flight is as well. Should I be worried?

Just bad weather in Europe

GayFriendly
10th Mar 2019, 18:27
Don't know about the other days you mentioned but today's SN cancellations are weather related, both arrivals cancelled today (meaning tomorrow's 06.20 is) as well as a BE110 from AMS due 18.20. I see the Jet2 Grenoble diverted away from BHX as well and a whole host of flights this afternoon and evening are delayed due to earlier strong winds.

I don't know of any other reasons why there have been so many SN cancellations recently, I can only assume it's related to the CR9 whereby the knock on effects of disruption are more difficult to catch up with than with the SN mainline fleet. SN are treating BHX with the shabby end of the stick for a route that always shows consistely high fares and has good LF's.

I'm guessing your on a mileage burn trip or are there no LPA flights on the day you want to fly?

ZULUBOY
10th Mar 2019, 18:55
Need to get to a wedding at 5pm and the first direct flight arrives at that time on Saturday. Wife is a teacher so we can't go the day before. Thanks for the replies . It puts my mind at rest a little

jfy1999
11th Mar 2019, 14:15
Impressive growth again.
Budapest (2pw) carries on from winter and new routes are Nice (3pw), Murcia Corvera (2pw) and Kefalonia (1pw)

I haven't had time to plough through the schedules on the likes of ALC/PMI, but I've found the following frequency increases:
Antalya from 4 to 6 weekly
Dalaman from 5 to 6 weekly
Burgas, Corfu, Dubrovnik, and Pisa 2 to 3 weekly
Chania, Izmir and Verona from 1 to 2 weekly
Lanzarote from 6 weekly to daily
Split is 2 weekly all summer instead of just July-August
Larnaca from 3 to 4 weekly

Only real disappointment as far as I can see is no growth on Rome or Venice

chinapattern
11th Mar 2019, 17:02
Sending an A350 on 2nd April - heard two versions as to why, the first to celebrate the third anniversary of ops (even though it started 30 March?). The second version is to test out for a permanent upgrade.

BHX5DME
11th Mar 2019, 17:29
Sending an A350 on 2nd April - heard two versions as to why, the first to celebrate the third anniversary of ops (even though it started 30 March?). The second version is to test out for a permanent upgrade.

Lets hope the later !

OltonPete
12th Mar 2019, 21:39

Qatar - Not found any other A359's in GDS other than 2nd April.

Turkish - Already showing as an A333 tomorrow no doubt bring back the MAX pax which never quite made it.

Jet2 2020 - Appears to 12 based at least in June so up 2 aircraft on 2019 but gaps on some days.

Pete

BA318
13th Mar 2019, 17:21
According to Twitter- Air India are suspending Birmingham-Delhi and Amritsar due to the longer routing caused by the closure of Pakistani airspace. The link isn't showing but user is SeanM1997.
https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/1105878708097830912

OltonPete
13th Mar 2019, 20:54
According to Twitter- Air India are suspending Birmingham-Delhi and Amritsar due to the longer routing caused by the closure of Pakistani airspace. The link isn't showing but user is SeanM1997.
https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/1105878708097830912

To put some contaxt to this decision without going into conspiracy theories as Heathrow has not been affected.

BHX - Amritsar pre Pakistan Airspace restrictions between 8.02 flying time to 8.37 and since the restrictions 11.14 - 11.41 - it also most drops as far south as Mumbai before turning west.

Delhi pre restrictions 8.27 - 9.03 and with restrictions 10.48-11.13 (today)

Credit: FR24

I can't believe many airlines even AI could take that hit for much longe on what is to be fair a secondary destination like BHX.

Proof in the pudding will be how quick they return when it is all sorted...………..if of course it does get sorted.

Unfortunate really with Turkmenistan not operating either.

Air India DEL-MAD also suspended so not just BHX.

Pete

Navpi
13th Mar 2019, 21:42
And bad news "yet again" for Birmingham.

It does seem odd that LHR are operating ok.

crewmeal
14th Mar 2019, 06:21
LHR slots (https://simpleflying.com/the-story-behind-london-heathrows-ghost-flights/)

With LHR if you don't operate a flight for a certain period might you loose the slots? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that.

VickersVicount
14th Mar 2019, 08:47
What is BHX left with in terms of any longer haul nowadays? Theyve never had a great record at holding routes Indian airspace issues or not

ATNotts
14th Mar 2019, 09:46
What is BHX left with in terms of any longer haul nowadays? Theyve never had a great record at holding routes Indian airspace issues or not

On the contrary. BHX has had problems holding on to long haul westbound. Heading east BHX has held on to PIA (aside of political issues) for 20+ years, Turkemistan for a similar period, Emirates for a in excess of 10 years, and Qatar, despite all the political problems, for 3 years now. AI has been on / off mostly for operational and political reasons (AI is overtly a political football in India). This latest suspension is geopolitical, with the closure of Pakistani airspace to Indian carriers.

Westbound, I'm very pessimistic about, can't see anything viable on the horizon, and the more Manchester expands and becomes a magnet for long haul carriers, the less likely it becomes that BHX will get much more in the way of new higher frequency long haul. It was bad enough being too close to LHR, even worse now it's "too close" to what has become the UK's second most important airport for long haul!!

OltonPete
14th Mar 2019, 21:21

Depends on what you mean by long-haul but if you count the Middle East then today

EK39 A388 Dubai 11:25
QR33 B788 Doha 12:25
PK791 B772 Islamabad 15:15
TOM493 B788 Langkawi 16:55
AI117 B788 Amritsar 17:15 delayed 20:51 - 11:36 flight time
EK37 A388 Dubai 18:45

Rubbish really just two flights on the worlds biggest passenger airliner in high config, a triple seven and a TUI flight from Malaysia etc etc.

By the way Air India are selling tickets from 1st April which is a bit surprising a day after the flight was suspended and very naughty if they haven't got a solution to their problems. Whether crew shortages/aircraft are part of the issue, not many airlines could add over two hours on to a flight time and still expect to make money flying between a regional airport in India (ATQ) to a regional airport in the UK (BHX) when your main customer bases is VFR. Also I would want to be the Air India executive that made the decision when the Punjabi politicians come knocking on the door.

Ryanair

Alicante to become double daily from July - Second Wednesday flight added.

Pete

ZULUBOY
16th Mar 2019, 06:32

Well we got a message at 9pm last night saying flight would be delayed by 3 hours this morning thus missing our connection to LPA. They have rebooked us LHR to LPA with BA so we are now on the train to Heathrow at our own expense. Interesting that the plane we were due to take this morning landed on time from Brussels last night for the night-stop so not sure what the issue is

OltonPete
16th Mar 2019, 12:57
Well we got a message at 9pm last night saying flight would be delayed by 3 hours this morning thus missing our connection to LPA. They have rebooked us LHR to LPA with BA so we are now on the train to Heathrow at our own expense. Interesting that the plane we were due to take this morning landed on time from Brussels last night for the night-stop so not sure what the issue is

They will probably claim weather causing knock-on crewing issues and of course when you sub out a route to another airline operating a mini-fleet at the hub (Air Nostrum/Cityjet BRU) the service is at risk to disruption but this is avoidable with planning by Brussels Airline but I suspect their masters across the border are pulling the strings in respect of cost-savings

More to cheer you up - A Brussels Airlines A319 is currently flying for Swiss Geneva - Dublin so the parent airline is not short of aircraft if they can sub them out. Looking at this thread and Bristol - Brussels discussion on the Bristol thread it seems chaos is the way to describe them but not helped by the weather.

Just to rub salt in, the other SN Air Nostrum CRJX operated on time into Brussels this morning and most of the SN network is on time today other than your original aircraft running late back into Manchester. Therefore weather does not appear to be the main problem today but more likely crew hours or tech. Of course the crew hours might have been caused by the weather. The early morning departure crew I think normally arrives the day before on SN2047 which yesterday was not a CRX but an ex SAS Cityjet CRJ9 so I assume this is the issue. I doubt you can fly an Irish Registered CRJ9 one day and then a Spanish registered CRJX the next but could be wrong and maybe there wasn't a dead-head crew available (doubt there would be room on the flight for spare crew).

Air India - It was the last day today but cancelled. Still bookable from April and fares in May are normal.

Pete

crewmeal
16th Mar 2019, 13:22
It was the last day today but cancelled. Still bookable from April and fares in May are normal.

I doubt whether anyone would be foolish enough to book flights with Air India from BHX until the Kashmir situation is resolved.

Rutan16
16th Mar 2019, 18:42
They will probably claim weather causing knock-on crewing issues and of course when you sub out a route to another airline operating a mini-fleet at the hub (Air Nostrum/Cityjet BRU) the service is at risk to disruption but this is avoidable with planning by Brussels Airline but I suspect their masters across the border are pulling the strings in respect of cost-savings

More to cheer you up - A Brussels Airlines A319 is currently flying for Swiss Geneva - Dublin so the parent airline is not short of aircraft if they can sub them out. Looking at this thread and Bristol - Brussels discussion on the Bristol thread it seems chaos is the way to describe them but not helped by the weather.

Just to rub salt in, the other SN Air Nostrum CRJX operated on time into Brussels this morning and most of the SN network is on time today other than your original aircraft running late back into Manchester. Therefore weather does not appear to be the main problem today but more likely crew hours or tech. Of course the crew hours might have been caused by the weather. The early morning departure crew I think normally arrives the day before on SN2047 which yesterday was not a CRX but an ex SAS Cityjet CRJ9 so I assume this is the issue. I doubt you can fly an Irish Registered CRJ9 one day and then a Spanish registered CRJX the next but could be wrong and maybe there wasn't a dead-head crew available (doubt there would be room on the flight for spare crew).

Air India - It was the last day today but cancelled. Still bookable from April and fares in May are normal.

Pete

Brussels have been operating a Saturday Geneva -Dublin rotation for Swiss for much of the winter already.

LH Group are becoming masters of cross fleeting these days with Air Dolimiti flying for parent from Munich, whilst Austrian flying for Swiss near daily and indeed operating a few long haulers from Munich l

I have little simpathy with Zulu on his problems choosing to go via Brussels to The Canaries . There are a host of UK options available, and it’s ironic he ends up going from Heathrow at the expense of LH group on Oneworld carrier !

OltonPete
16th Mar 2019, 21:15
Brussels have been operating a Saturday Geneva -Dublin rotation for Swiss for much of the winter already.

LH Group are becoming masters of cross fleeting these days with Air Dolimiti flying for parent from Munich, whilst Austrian flying for Swiss near daily and indeed operating a few long haulers from Munich l

I have little simpathy with Zulu on his problems choosing to go via Brussels to The Canaries . There are a host of UK options available, and it’s icronic he ends up going from Heathrow at the expense of LH group on Oneworld carrier !

Yes SN A319 each Saturday on GVA-DUB this winter and it would have been planned way before the recent problems with Cityjet/Nostrum at BHX, no doubt partly blamed on the SU95 removal although ironically the service seemed to be way more reliable with them.

A bit harsh on Zulu although I know what you mean but at BHX especially if restricted to the weekend then there is not a lot of choice, Jet2 today was sold out a while ago, TUI is basically an IT (today also) and that is it and nothing tomorrow. if you can fly weekdays then not too bad as FR and LS are usually reasonable and Thomas Cook have restated as well. In winter Personally I would try and avoid some hubs in winter with SN struggling, CDG blighted by random strikes and multi-runway AMS having cancellations due cross-winds, which I believe is due to imposed restrictions.

Terminal and airfield works

Contract awarded and includes he Elmdon site and airfield reconfiguration. MAEL hangar formally up for sale as well

BHX Press release (http://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/media-information/news/2019/03/atkins-appointed-as-lead-designer-and-project-manager-for-birmingham-airport-terminal-transformation/)

Pete

ZULUBOY
17th Mar 2019, 09:48
Thanks Pete. Yes as stated earlier we had to get to a wedding by 5pm. No other flight from BHX would have got us there on time on Saturday. Why would we fly from another airport Rutan when you expect your plane to arrive on time? Brussels switched us to BA as well after initially trying to route us via Frankfurt and Madrid

kfsimpson
17th Mar 2019, 11:19
I doubt whether anyone would be foolish enough to book flights with Air India from BHX until the Kashmir situation is resolved.
Waiting for the Kashmir dispute to be resolved will likely be a very long wait, beyond most of our lifetimes! I fear that simply waiting for Pakistan to allow Indian aircraft to use their airspace, which is the current problem, could be a lengthy wait.

j636
20th Mar 2019, 11:30
New x3 weekly Wizz to Krakow and Ryanair to Vienna.

BHX5DME
20th Mar 2019, 13:20
So long waiting for a new route and then two come along together !

Wizz - Krakow 3pw making this route 8pw in total on three airlines

Laudamotion - Vienna 3pw making this route daily on two airlines

Good news

nwoody2001
20th Mar 2019, 17:11
A good day for BHX...

GayFriendly
20th Mar 2019, 19:47
In light of the complete lack of route news in the last 12 months yes a good news day for BHX.

Slightly worrying that we will have 3 airlines on a leisure/VFR focused price sensitive route and 2 on another with very variable loads. Hopefully they have all done their homework!

Maybe Jet2 can leave KRK to FR and Wizz and reroute the aircraft to LIS instead....here's hoping!

But yes good news and nice to see a new airline grace BHX in 2019!

OltonPete
20th Mar 2019, 21:40
In light of the complete lack of route news in the last 12 months yes a good news day for BHX.

Slightly worrying that we will have 3 airlines on a leisure/VFR focused price sensitive route and 2 on another with very variable loads. Hopefully they have all done their homework!

Maybe Jet2 can leave KRK to FR and Wizz and reroute the aircraft to LIS instead....here's hoping!

But yes good news and nice to see a new airline grace BHX in 2019!

History shows that three scheduled airlines on one route at BHX never lasts but at least the totally weekly services only amount to 8 on Krakow.

The Vienna at least is bookable on FR and again it only makes it a total of daily. Eurowings have been superb in letting the route have time to bed in but passenger figures have been low and it has suffered many cancellations or days where it normally operates but was non-ops.

If Eurowings decide to call it a day few could complain as they gave it a good go but maybe it could stimulate demand giving the option on flying one-way on each airline.

Pete

ATNotts
21st Mar 2019, 08:59
The Vienna at least is bookable on FR and again it only makes it a total of daily. Eurowings have been superb in letting the route have time to bed in but passenger figures have been low and it has suffered many cancellations or days where it normally operates but was non-ops.

Do Eurowings interline with Austrian at Vienna? If so, perhaps their reason for being on the route is more to do with that, than shipping weekend breakers to eat exorbitantly priced Apfel Strudel and coffee in the Austrian capital.

GayFriendly
21st Mar 2019, 09:51
Do Eurowings interline with Austrian at Vienna? If so, perhaps their reason for being on the route is more to do with that, than shipping weekend breakers to eat exorbitantly priced Apfel Strudel and coffee in the Austrian capital.

Yes they do. BHX-VIE has OS codeshare flight numbers. I flew TXL-VIE-BHX booked on Expedia, ticketed on an OS ticket and was through checked at TXL for both sectors (TXL-VIE was OS, VIE-BHX of course EW). This partly explains why they have stayed on the route for so long with such variable loads (my flight on 26th Dec was just over half full).

Will be interesting to see how Lauda Motion do as it will only really suit P2P traffic unless they also offer through ticketed connections? They do operate to a fair few destinations from VIE. We all know LF's need to be high year round for a true LCC carrier to stay on a route and that's without thinking about yield. We can only assume Lauda Motion have done their homework.

Flight times suggest they are not going for the traditional weekend break market as flights are Tues/Thurs/Sat. VIE is a big land and air transport hub and it's easy to get to a lot of cities by train (both in Austria and other countries), of course a huge amount of Danube cruises depart from VIE as well so there's a lot more to the city than just being a weekend break!

ATNotts
21st Mar 2019, 10:56
I was being a tad cynical regarding the strudel - but it is overpriced, but you can hardly blame the Viennese for milking the tourists!

As you say, there's a lot more to Vienna than weekend breaks, but the clientele for river cruises are likely to look for somewhat higher quality travel options than Ryanair Group to get to their cruise ships. River cruising is very expensive. I'd say, especially with the (unpleasant) prospect of a fall in sterling were things to go badly wrong next Friday, there'd be a good inbound market, for shopping, if nothing else.

Hotel Tango
21st Mar 2019, 14:54
Speaking of Eurowings, I was pleasantly surprised at the load on the lunch time DHC-8 BHX-DUS service last Thursday. 70 pax total. Having experienced relatively mediocre loads on their 3x weekday Airbus flights I was somewhat skeptical regarding their decision to introduce a 4th rotation. Of course it might have been something to do with the NEC and not a regular occurrence, I don't know. Many of the pax flew on to other destinations from DUS.

BobBHX
22nd Mar 2019, 11:28
They are supposed to do through connections with OS, HOWEVER....

I was booked BHX-ZRH-BKK-VIE-BHX last September with a lengthy connection in VIE, but the SEN lounge is not a bad place to wait. Then they retimed the VIE/BHX from lunchtime to very early morning, making the connection impossible. I was re-booked on LH via FRA but I had to suffer LH C class long-haul, something any sane solo traveller should avoid - fine if you’re flying with a close friend, but I do not like playing footsie with a complete stranger for 12 hours.

OltonPete
22nd Mar 2019, 12:59
Speaking of Eurowings, I was pleasantly surprised at the load on the lunch time DHC-8 BHX-DUS service last Thursday. 70 pax total. Having experienced relatively mediocre loads on their 3x weekday Airbus flights I was somewhat skeptical regarding their decision to introduce a 4th rotation. Of course it might have been something to do with the NEC and not a regular occurrence, I don't know. Many of the pax flew on to other destinations from DUS.

Cheers HT interesting comments and my first thought when it was announced was why? However as you have alluded to BHX is still affected by trade shows at the NEC and indeed FR Dublin, EI Dublin, Flybe Amsterdam, easyjet Belfast operate more frequencies than summer which for short-haul regional routes you would think would be unusual. However there is a chance of filling them during trade shows although outside of these events some loads can be horrendous but some haven't the luxury of Lufthansa or SAS where an A319 can be reasonably quickly upgraded to an A321.

I know the popular assumption is that BHX is a low-yielding, seasonal outbound market but it is not as straightforward as that and there is money to be made in winter even during school-term. BHX is not the lame-duck some allude to which is often fuelled by what seems to be the constant long-haul struggles.

On the subject of Dussledorf, ironically next week is the last week of the Eurowings extra Dash 8 service yet they have been given the early inbound market on a plate by Flybe moving their first inbound Dash 8 flight to Manchester and this should improve load factors at least on the first inbound Eurowings A319/A320.

Pete

jon01
24th Mar 2019, 07:45
Turkish Airlines s19

Turkish have been forced to cancel 15 BHX services in April 2019, due to issues with the airport move at Istanbul and the 737 MAX grounding

This occurs between 5 - 20 April 2019

On 6, 10 & 11 April, there will be no services

Services on some days during the above period have been upgraded to A321 aircraft

OltonPete
24th Mar 2019, 10:43
Turkish Airlines s19

Turkish have been forced to cancel 15 BHX services in April 2019, due to issues with the airport move at Istanbul and the 737 MAX grounding

This occurs between 5 - 20 April 2019

On 6, 10 & 11 April, there will be no services

Services on some days during the above period have been upgraded to A321 aircraft

Obviously nothing much can be done on the MAX issue but BHX can't catch a break at the moment. I make it 2000 seats lost on Saturday 20th April which is part of the Easter break this year and nothing to do with BHX - One EK cancelled due the Dubai Runway works, Air India cancelled due to the Pakistani airspace issue and one Turkish cancelled.

Turkish at Manchester seems to be around 6 cancellations ending on the 14th and Heathrow around 25 cancellations.

Pete

Hotel Tango
24th Mar 2019, 12:28
jon01, I'm not so sure it has anything to do with the airport change but more to do with shortage of aircraft equipment.

crewmeal
25th Mar 2019, 15:23
Surprise surprise Air India have extended the closure of the routes. I'd be surprised to see them back anytime soon.

Delhi – Amritsar – Birmingham Reservation for 3 weekly service closed until 30JUN19
Delhi – Birmingham Reservation for 3 weekly service closed until 30APR19

GayFriendly
25th Mar 2019, 23:47
AI - if at all. From daily 787 and 4 x weekly Turkmen connections to.no scheduled India flights. Pax will have to get used to the M40.....

Just 3 scheduled long haul routes and destinations left at BHX S19 - Dubai, Doha and Islamabad.

Where next for long haul at BHX? Answers on back of a postage stamp please!

ATNotts
26th Mar 2019, 08:26
AI - if at all. From daily 787 and 4 x weekly Turkmen connections to.no scheduled India flights. Pax will have to get used to the M40.....

Just 3 scheduled long haul routes and destinations left at BHX S19 - Dubai, Doha and Islamabad.

Where next for long haul at BHX? Answers on back of a postage stamp please!

The way I read the AI situation is that they have suspended DEL-BHX until the end of April, and ATQ until the end of June. That shows a very clear intention to return to BHX. It would have been much easier to have suspended the routes, then quietly dropped them, which they clearly haven't done.

Turkmenistan have been banned by the EU on safety grounds. Surely when they have sorted out those issues they will be back, they have been a fixture at BHX for donkey's years and especially were AI to really kill off ATQ from BHX would come back stronger.

Turkish have been a victim of the 737MAX debacle, and again there is no sign of them drastically cutting back, they had planned to return to twice daily.

What I am saying that it's easy to be depressed by recent events, but AI is geopolitical situation, Turkmenistan a technical issue, and Turkish again a safety thing. All, I feel sure will be back. When all is said and done, BHX has a deal more long haul than most UK airports, and definetely airports that are so close to LHR and MAN.

If our "leaders" continue to play canute and / or fiddle while Rome is burning, BHX and many other UK airports could have much more to worry about that temporary suspensions of long haul routes.

OltonPete
27th Mar 2019, 23:42
The way I read the AI situation is that they have suspended DEL-BHX until the end of April, and ATQ until the end of June. That shows a very clear intention to return to BHX. It would have been much easier to have suspended the routes, then quietly dropped them, which they clearly haven't done.

Turkmenistan have been banned by the EU on safety grounds. Surely when they have sorted out those issues they will be back, they have been a fixture at BHX for donkey's years and especially were AI to really kill off ATQ from BHX would come back stronger.

Turkish have been a victim of the 737MAX debacle, and again there is no sign of them drastically cutting back, they had planned to return to twice daily.

What I am saying that it's easy to be depressed by recent events, but AI is geopolitical situation, Turkmenistan a technical issue, and Turkish again a safety thing. All, I feel sure will be back. When all is said and done, BHX has a deal more long haul than most UK airports, and definetely airports that are so close to LHR and MAN.

If our "leaders" continue to play canute and / or fiddle while Rome is burning, BHX and many other UK airports could have much more to worry about that temporary suspensions of long haul routes.

Pakistani airspace reopened and Air India Delhi bookable from Sunday 3 days a week.

Not so confident re Amritsar as that stays canned until 30 June but maybe AI are not so confident about the airspace that far north.

Jet and AI Delhi Heathrow today still avoided Pakistani airspace but I suppose it will take a few days to get back to normal but plenty of other airlines are well and truly using it.

Pete

jon01
28th Mar 2019, 06:39
S19 ACL Slot Allocations

The ACL Summer season report is now out

It shows an increase in seats of 717,041, but this will depend on Turkmenistan restarting and Amritsar returning. This figure also includes slots held by Spicejet and Indigo to Amritsar, which will not start until later in the year, if at all

Jota have no slots showing, but the JLR Bratislava flight series is operating into the summer

Pakistan showing an increase, this might be slots for the rumoured Sialkot service

In terms of capacity, Ryanair are Birmingham's biggest airline during the summer months, with 75,000 more seats available than s18, followed by Jet2 and then Flybe

What makes this interesting is that Ryanair only have 4 based aircraft for the summer, with many visits by away aircraft. Jet2 have up to 11 and TUI 9 based

Lots of increases and decreases, overall nothing too exciting. I think we have to wait until 2020 for everything to settle down, normality to resume and hopefully no more cutbacks

The full report is here: BHX Summer 19 Season report (https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/BHX-S19-Start-of-Season-Report.pdf)

Good news to see Delhi resuming this Sunday

BobBHX
29th Mar 2019, 13:21
Jet and AI Delhi Heathrow today still avoided Pakistani airspace but I suppose it will take a few days to get back to normal but plenty of other airlines are well and truly using it.

Pete

I flew on KL from Bangkok yesterday and that flight diverted to avoid Pakistani airspace.

simoncorbett
2nd Apr 2019, 09:34
Today’s Qatar is A359 ....pretty sure a first visit of this type & only time not a Dreamliner?
Noticed stand 54 yesterday had stop bar for 359 written on it

BHX5DME
2nd Apr 2019, 18:31
Now bookable weekly from S20

jon01
3rd Apr 2019, 05:56
Now bookable weekly from S20

There appears to be a trend here

Already Jet2 have replaced Flybe on the Sunday ski flight to Lleida next winter, the Jet2 Preveza parallels the Flybe Sunday flight for s20 (which is still showing at the moment) and Jet2 are starting Kefalonia in s20, which could also be used instead of the weekly Flybe on this route

So are Flybe pulling out of charters because of all the changes happening with the company and Jet2 taking advantage?

LGWAlan
3rd Apr 2019, 12:18
These will be for Jet2Hols in their own right. The current charters to EFL and PVK on BE are for Ionian Island Holidays as a charterer. Who knows - If Ionian decide there may still be a second BHX-PVK

jon01
3rd Apr 2019, 14:09
These will be for Jet2Hols in their own right. The current charters to EFL and PVK on BE are for Ionian Island Holidays as a charterer. Who knows - If Ionian decide there may still be a second BHX-PVK

The Jet2 flights to Lleida are for Neilson Ski, who have chartered the Jet2 aircraft

Ionian and Sunvil could still take seats on the new Jet2 services to Greece, we shall see

jon01
11th Apr 2019, 18:00
A new series of charter flights went on sale today to Dubrovnik. Unusually they run weekly on Sundays from 9th Feb 2020 until 3rd May 2020 for cultural holidays in Croatia and Montenegro. Flights are expected to be operated by Croatia Airlines routing via Manchester

OltonPete
12th Apr 2019, 17:03
Credits: CAA for the monthly provisional passenger figures. Number of rotations: my own records and FR24 paid subscription and load factors - various seat map websites.

Note only four routes lost over Feb 2018 but not sure if that is good or bad as the overall list of destinations is average. Obviously these are just estimates base don the above and is only an indication of how the routes are doing.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1204x613/screenshot_11__b30b890cb41a64e4af447de1b888e4db80999883.png
Pete

virginblue
12th Apr 2019, 21:58
Interesting that of all the 5.000+ pax/month routes DUS (together with OTP) appears to have had the biggest growth with more than 30 per cent more pax - and that it is BHX 5th biggest route after DUB, AMS, DXB and CDG.

ATNotts
13th Apr 2019, 11:22
Interesting that of all the 5.000+ pax/month routes DUS (together with OTP) appears to have had the biggest growth with more than 30 per cent more pax - and that it is BHX 5th biggest route after DUB, AMS, DXB and CDG.

And that despite Vienna loads being absolutely dire, Laudamotion are joining the fray. Can't see Agadir lasting unless something fundamental changes either.

jon01
14th Apr 2019, 06:29
Ryanair have added 18 extra flights and Aer Lingus 2 to cope with demand for this Rugby Champion's Cup semi, there are also some private charters and GA flights

Maleth Aero B733:
19 April Shannon - Birmingham 11:00 (Team charter)

Aer Lingus A320/AT76:
19 April Dublin - Birmingham 22:10
20 April Cork - Birmingham 11:00
20 April Birmingham - Cork 21:15

Ryanair B738:
19 April Cork - Birmingham 08.10 & 11.30
19 April Shannon - Birmingham 15.15 & 18.35
19 April Dublin - Birmingham 20.10 & 20.30
20 April Cork - Birmingham 06.40
20 April Dublin - Birmingham 06.55 & 09.00
20 April Shannon - Birmingham 10.00
20 April Birmingham - Cork 20.00
20 April Birmingham - Shannon 23.20
21 April Birmingham - Cork 07.00 & 10.20
21 April Birmingham - Shannon 14.05 & 17.20
21 April Birmingham - Dublin 19.45 & 20.40

GayFriendly
14th Apr 2019, 21:24
[Wizz doing great on their new Cluj route, far better than Blue Air ever did. What a pity they're so dominant and big at Luton, I think a Wizz Base at BHX would go great guns. Still, with Luton becoming so busy and slot constrained at peak times,,perhaps we will continue to see new routes from Wizz in addition to krakow

crewmeal
15th Apr 2019, 06:31
I think a Wizz Base at BHX would go great guns.

Don't forget BHX is one of the most expensive airports to operate from so it would be difficult for a smaller loco to base themselves there. That and the ridiculous £3 for 5 minutes to drop off is not an incentive to fly from BHX these days.

Hotel Tango
15th Apr 2019, 14:37
I got just as annoyed about those drop off charges when they were only a pound. I got my taxi to drop me off at the International station and I took the free Air-Rail link. I also discovered that taxis from the station were cheaper than from the airport (where they have to pay a surcharge!

sixchannel
16th Apr 2019, 21:05
I got just as annoyed about those drop off charges when they were only a pound. I got my taxi to drop me off at the International station and I took the free Air-Rail link. I also discovered that taxis from the station were cheaper than from the airport (where they have to pay a surcharge!
That only works during sensible hours.
Those enduring stupid o'clock second rotation arrivals will find the Air-Rail link closed and no taxis at the station anyway.

OltonPete
16th Apr 2019, 21:56
That only works during sensible hours.
Those enduring stupid o'clock second rotation arrivals will find the Air-Rail link closed and no taxis at the station anyway.

I was less than impressed when arriving back on a Sunday 21.30 in mid-October to find only one working and 100's of pax but the BHX website claims it runs long hours and then a bus operates when out of action.

BHX website quote (http://tinyurl.com/y2cogldp)

TUI - Summer 2020 changes but not gone through them all - Thessaloniki doubled with Thursday added but the Thursday Palma, Malaga Agadir and Tenerife have all gone per the flight only which seems a bit of a change! Agadir still bookable in winter

Ryanair winter - Dublin reduced to 4 daily Tuesday and Wednesday. Porto remains bookable but Las Palmas and Verona just weekly still.

Pete

jon01
17th Apr 2019, 06:23
There appears to be a trend here

Already Jet2 have replaced Flybe on the Sunday ski flight to Lleida next winter, the Jet2 Preveza parallels the Flybe Sunday flight for s20 (which is still showing at the moment) and Jet2 are starting Kefalonia in s20, which could also be used instead of the weekly Flybe on this route

So are Flybe pulling out of charters because of all the changes happening with the company and Jet2 taking advantage?

Another Flybe charter has gone, the Sunday Chambery ski flight for w19/20 is now on an Enter Air B738:

12:35/13:35 ENT271/ENT270

ATNotts
17th Apr 2019, 07:30

I have some sympathy (not a lot!) for airports with regard to these "hidden" extra costs for passengers, be it drop off, trolleys, fast track through security or any others I have overlooked.

Airlines no longer, and have not for some years, accepted that it is they who should pay for the services they require directly. So the airport has to make a decision, play hardball with airline customers, present or future, or hit the passenger directly to get the revenue that they can't extract from the carrier.

So far as BHX is concerned, the urban myth is that it's charges to airlines are way higher than those charged by other airports. That may well be the case for headline "full tariff" rates, but i guess that we may never know, or never be party to, what the airport offers in the way of incentives. It is to be hoped that the increased (exorbitant) drop of charge may go some way to allow the airport more flexibility to offer more competitive rates to carriers to encourage them to move in, or improve the range of routes / frequencies on offer.

Fried_Chicken
26th Apr 2019, 13:04
There is a rumour that the ex MAEL hangar may have been acquired by TUI to expand there maintenance facilities, this may have been fuelled by the fact that two of the airlines B738s have visited the facility this week.

OltonPete
26th Apr 2019, 16:51
There is a rumour that the ex MAEL hangar may have been acquired by TUI to expand there maintenance facilities, this may have been fuelled by the fact that two of the airlines B738s have visited the facility this week.

Not heard about anything permanent but the Administrators were pretty clear that they would listen to requests for short-term leases until a buyer is found.

Needless to say if it was to become permanent it would be fantastic news.

On the negative side, Air Maroc Arabia is no longer bookable next winter - I am told it was a few weeks ago.

Pete

ATNotts
26th Apr 2019, 17:36
On the negative side, Air Maroc Arabia is no longer bookable next winter - I am told it was a few weeks ago.

Given the loads you reported I don't think that's any surprise. They ought really to have looked for an IT operator to buy seats on the service; perhaps they did.

southside bobby
26th Apr 2019, 17:54
TUI have leased short term engineering/mods space in the "Diamond Hangar" at STN for B738 & B788`s previously.

OltonPete
26th Apr 2019, 18:13
TUI have leased short term engineering/mods space in the "Diamond Hangar" at STN for B738 & B788`s previously.

I suppose the Administrators are happy to get whatever money they can get.. Flybe apparently have used it and the Gainjet B734 has been inside for ages.

ATNotts

Agadir is not having the best of time of it from BHX, TUI have cancelled it 3 times before it even started although it is looking good for next winter as it remains bookable but summer 2020 it has gone already.

Pete

Guest 112233
26th Apr 2019, 19:35
Pete: What's happening over the RWY 33 ILS Saga ? I have not heard details of any progress in the matter.

CAT III

OltonPete
26th Apr 2019, 22:39
Pete: What's happening over the RWY 33 ILS Saga ? I have not heard details of any progress in the matter.

CAT III

CAT 111-NDB If you are as old as me and remember the phrase from the Fawlty Towers German guests sketch "don't mention the war". Well it seems the new millennium version in BHX is "Don't mention the 33 ILS".

I am sure it is extremely complicated and well above my old head but the way it has been handled publicly is disappointiing and the vibes I get internally is even worse but that is only my interpretation and it might be way off-beam. Not so much touchy feely 21st century management more 1960's politburo but as I say I might be on the wrong lines.

I actually took it further but not as a single item and I don't want to go into this any further as there is little point but put it like this, a good analogy is with football and the North West Region, Premier League and Championship thinking and I don't need think that needs explaining any further although I hope the new BHX CEO will sort certain matters out take BHX up a division if you see what I mean.

Pete

Guest 112233
27th Apr 2019, 19:52
CAT 111-NDB If you are as old as me and remember the phrase from the Fawlty Towers German guests sketch "don't mention the war". Well it seems the new millennium version in BHX is "Don't mention the 33 ILS".

I am sure it is extremely complicated and well above my old head but the way it has been handled publicly is disappointiing and the vibes I get internally is even worse but that is only my interpretation and it might be way off-beam. Not so much touchy feely 21st century management more 1960's politburo but as I say I might be on the wrong lines.

I actually took it further but not as a single item and I don't want to go into this any further as there is little point but put it like this, a good analogy is with football and the North West Region, Premier League and Championship thinking and I don't need think that needs explaining any further although I hope the new BHX CEO will sort certain matters out take BHX up a division if you see what I mean.

Pete

Message understood: OP. I was a "blue nose" during that all to brief period when the "Gypsy’s Curse 11" looked like a team with a secure premiership future.

BHX5DME
27th Apr 2019, 21:45
CAP1778: CAP 1778 Birmingham International Airport Standard Instrument Departures from Runway 33: CAA decision (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=9052)

CAP1398a: CAP 1398a Birmingham International Airport Northbound Standard Instrument Departures from Runway 15: CAA decision (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=9053)

Guest 112233
27th Apr 2019, 22:20
CAP1778: CAP 1778 Birmingham International Airport Standard Instrument Departures from Runway 33: CAA decision (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=9052)

CAP1398a: CAP 1398a Birmingham International Airport Northbound Standard Instrument Departures from Runway 15: CAA decision (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=9053)

Thanks I will digest (in part) those links tomorrow. Many thanks

CAT III

RogueOne
28th Apr 2019, 14:06
Pretty scandalous that the 33 ILS is down. Still. Nobody seems bothered about fixing a Precision 3D approach, for a preferred runway, at a major international airport.

If this was LHR or MAN it would have been fixed with a snap of the fingers.

Meanwhile it's RNAV, Overlay, Visual or Raw unless the weather craps out and there isn't a performance restricting tailwind on 15.

Wish I knew who to write to and complain.

Guest 112233
28th Apr 2019, 15:33
Pretty scandalous that the 33 ILS is down. Still. Nobody seems bothered about fixing a Precision 3D approach, for a preferred runway, at a major international airport.

If this was LHR or MAN it would have been fixed with a snap of the fingers.

Meanwhile it's RNAV, Overlay, Visual or Raw unless the weather craps out and there isn't a performance restricting tailwind on 15.

Wish I knew who to write to and complain.

I think that a collection of local councils hold a minority shareholding in the facility so a Freedom of Information request (FOI) might be appropriate. Reasons for the request must be valid and not vexatious. I've followed this embarrassment since its inception and I'm not sure if its the 33 LOC (unlikely as the ILS on 33 predates the 15 installation ) or the GS or a combination of both or a more complex interaction between the installation and its environs.

CAT III

jon01
30th Apr 2019, 21:01
Olympus Airways A321 SX-ABY (Ex G-MARA of Monarch) is positioning in on Wed 01 May to be based for TUI until the 737 MAX issue is sorted out

11:45 TOM902P A321 SXABY

PPRuNeUser0176
1st May 2019, 18:04
Cityjet will operate a daily service to DUB in place of A320 from 15 May until late August.

jon01
2nd May 2019, 18:04
Jet Time B738 OY-JZK arrives Thu 02 May to be based for TUI until the 737 MAX issue is sorted out

18:20 TOM9005 B738 OYJZK

First flight for this aircraft is to Chania on Fri 03 May

crewmeal
3rd May 2019, 05:20
According to the TUI schedules shown elsewhere on this forum there were no 737 Max aircraft due to be based in BHX. How come therr are these leases then?

Matt995
3rd May 2019, 18:05
According to the TUI schedules shown elsewhere on this forum there were no 737 Max aircraft due to be based in BHX. How come therr are these leases then?

It was rumoured that a 737 Max was going to be based at Brum from June, before the groundings. I'm guessing as TUI were basing 5 737s here it makes sense to pinch 2 of them to operate from the other bases where the Max's was due to be, so at least airports such as Glasgow/Edinburgh still have an aircraft in TUI colours, rather that a totally sub-leased fleet in different colour schemes!

OltonPete
3rd May 2019, 19:55
Cityjet will operate a daily service to DUB in place of A320 from 15 May until late August.

Still not seeing this in any booking engine other than the Saturday service which starts tomorrow and then the evening service for high summer.

Is this definite as daily?

Pete

PPRuNeUser0176
3rd May 2019, 22:17
Still not seeing this in any booking engine other than the Saturday service which starts tomorrow and then the evening service for high summer.

Is this definite as daily?

Pete

I was also refering to 21.35 ex BHX starting 15 May.

OltonPete
4th May 2019, 10:34
I was also refering to 21.35 ex BHX starting 15 May.

Cheers, I didn't consider they would ever cut capacity on the last one other than high season when the aircraft can make better money elsewhere. That is one huge capacity drop in the space of two weeks - 5 daily flights to four and then one of the four reduced from 174 seats down to 90 odd. My word Dublin must have really been over-capacity. Obviously it is yields and not load factors and there was me worrying that the Stobart 195's would be dumped on the route (before the KLM tie-up) and it is in fact it is even worse. Difficult to believe your last inbound and outbound from BHX can only fill 90 odd seats even up against you know who on the route.

Pete

jon01
4th May 2019, 11:04
Jet Time B738 OY-JZK arrives Thu 02 May to be based for TUI until the 737 MAX issue is sorted out

18:20 TOM9005 B738 OYJZK

First flight for this aircraft is to Chania on Fri 03 May

It is expected that Titan will take over from the Jet Time B738 from Sun 05 May, B752 G-POWH is positioning in from Stansted the night before

Stanstedeye
4th May 2019, 12:33
Todays aircraft at STN are Titan 320 GOWK, & 738 GFDZZ transferred in from LGW.

PPRuNeUser0176
4th May 2019, 18:17
Cheers, I didn't consider they would ever cut capacity on the last one other than high season when the aircraft can make better money elsewhere. That is one huge capacity drop in the space of two weeks - 5 daily flights to four and then one of the four reduced from 174 seats down to 90 odd. My word Dublin must have really been over-capacity. Obviously it is yields and not load factors and there was me worrying that the Stobart 195's would be dumped on the route (before the KLM tie-up) and it is in fact it is even worse. Difficult to believe your last inbound and outbound from BHX can only fill 90 odd seats even up against you know who on the route.

Pete

LGW loses daily flight as well. I think BHX yields do better than many think. International station can make it worthwhile as a London alternative. The only options were BHX or MAN for WX ops. Stobart cannot operate anything over 100 seats for EI at the moment.

OltonPete
4th May 2019, 19:18
LGW loses daily flight as well. I think BHX yields do better than many think. International station can make it worthwhile as a London alternative. The only options were BHX or MAN for WX ops. Stobart cannot operate anything over 100 seats for EI at the moment.

Thank you again for the information and hopefully it wasn't an easy decision. Ryanair outbound after 7pm from BHX will have 378 seats available against 95 and it is going to be interesting to see how this pans out. I think the pill would have been easier to take if EI3274/5 the AT76 had remained around 17.30 rather than ending last week.

The overall Aer Lingus increases which were expected next month when Cork goes 3 daily 4 times a week are now wiped out by this change.

Pete

jon01
5th May 2019, 09:47
It is expected that Titan will take over from the Jet Time B738 from Sun 05 May, B752 G-POWH is positioning in from Stansted the night before

An AlbaStar B738 is positioning in on the afternoon of 6th May to continue ops for TUI

OltonPete
6th May 2019, 19:04
So few changes if GDS is correct other than some odd timings and frequencies such as no Berlin on Monday. Milan changing times depending on the day of week and the Isle Man based aircraft does a BHX flight before returning to IOM.

AMS, EDI, GLA & BHD all remain 7 daily on certain days and can we assume BHX was not contributing to the Flybe losses as the schedule virtually mirrors 2018-19.

Pete

jon01
7th May 2019, 16:21
Olympus are due to start A321 ops for TUI on 12 May

jon01
9th May 2019, 08:19
Jet Time B738 OY-JZJ arrives Thu 09 May pm for TUI, to take over from the Alba Star B738 from 10 May

Titan Airways B752 G-ZAPX also arrives on 09 May to op for TUI on 10 May

jon01
10th May 2019, 21:45
Olympus will now commence A321 ops for TUI on Sat 11th May to Verona and Paphos

Titan will also continue to be operating for TUI with a B752

The Jet Time B738 positions out late Fri night

jon01
11th May 2019, 17:51
The second A321, SX-ACP, will position in on the morning of Sunday 12th May from Manchester for TUI

A321 SX-ABY is also operating on Sunday for TUI

Jon

OltonPete
13th May 2019, 17:56
Source: CAA Provisional stats

March 2019 passengers 903425 up 2.7% compared to 2018 (879517).

Pete

GayFriendly
15th May 2019, 11:33
Not as bad as many feared? Nothing new but no major cuts or destinations dropped either. BHX is now their biggest base in terms of destinations alone this winter (23, MAN 21, SOU 15). I am hoping this indicates a more positive future for them at BHX? It will now be interesting to see how the new owners approach Summer 2020 and the seasonal French routes as I'm sure some of these must be borderline for yields even if LF's are OK in Jul and Aug. I still think there is some re-shaping to come but perhaps more positivity that BHX might still play a role in their future network plans?

Alteagod
15th May 2019, 11:49
A note of caution all round really. Yes FLYBE have issued a flying program but when they become Virgin whatever, Virgin can cull routes as it's now Virgin and just refund the BE passengers on routes VS decided not to operate. I would be cautious to assume it's a carry on regardless program around the network.

PDXCWL45
15th May 2019, 12:07
A note of caution all round really. Yes FLYBE have issued a flying program but when they become Virgin whatever, Virgin can cull routes as it's now Virgin and just refund the BE passengers on routes VS decided not to operate. I would be cautious to assume it's a carry on regardless program around the network.
Assuming it actually does become Virgin? Have they set a date?

Alteagod
15th May 2019, 14:08
I tip my hat to you. Indeed fair point

bycrewlgw
15th May 2019, 19:54

mot could they have plans for a midlands hub? Offer a few long haul flights with connections. It could work

BHX5DME
15th May 2019, 20:03
This one is gathering momentum …………….

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/uk-mayor-starts-petition-for-air-india-mumbai-birmingham-flight/articleshow/69316716.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

https://www.change.org/p/air-india-we-need-a-direct-flight-to-mumbai-from-birminghamhttps://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/uk-mayor-starts-petition-for-air-india-mumbai-birmingham-flight/articleshow/69316716.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

ATNotts
15th May 2019, 20:08
mot could they have plans for a midlands hub? Offer a few long haul flights with connections. It could work

I wish I could share your optimism!! I think more realistically, the core routes to business between BHX and UK and Europe are actually some of the more profitable parts of FlyBe, and may escape relatively unscathed. No so sure about how the (very) seasonal French routes might fair in any further cull in the drive for profitability though.

OltonPete
15th May 2019, 20:29
Sources: CAA. FR24 and various airline websites and my records. Load factor and average per flight are only estimates.

Pretty much as you were other than the Turkmen and Air India issues, Vienna and Agadir continue to mystify in their lack of their improvement but long-haul s are (or were) getting better load factors with PIA probably close on if not one the best months recorded (Not pax just load factor). These figures are pretty good considering Easter was late this year and you can see by some flights which normally start in the last week of March didn't this year.

Flybe don't seem to have been affected greatly at BHX with all the turmoil if you consider most of those bookings would have been January - March.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1360x709/screenshot_13__2cb9428cab99224818ba9f0f78f17f06de7517e6.png
Pete

Pete

jon01
17th May 2019, 06:10
On Fri 17 May, the following are operating for TUI:

EC-ISY B752 (Reus)
SX-ABY A321 (Corfu & Enfidha)
G-TUIC B788 (Mahon)
G-POWD B763 (Positions in from St Athan)

OltonPete
17th May 2019, 09:48
BHX Press Release (https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/media-information/news/2019/05/birmingham-airport-april-passenger-figures/)

Following on from the March stats these are again excellent.

With the loss of Amritsar, Turkmen, several Turkish cancellations, reduced Emirates I could not see it getting to a million and at one point I thought it would only just be up.

Ironically the press release mentions India which of course was savaged by the loss of Amritsar but boosted by good loads on TUI Goa which actually ended yet again and is not coming back next winter.

The TUI long-haul schedule in April was excellent at times and moving on to today and the amount of sub-ins are incredible but they have 17 flights today in an ever expanding network.

Brussels Airlines showing A319's/A320's next winter which will come as a relief but really needed now. March shows Brussels well down but 80% load factor, yesterday cancellations and delays on the Cityjet CRJ and they also manged to be a couple of hours late on their first flight on EI276. What Aer Lingus were thinking adding the RJ85 on the last flight of the day up against a couple of Ryanair services is beyond me.

Pete

jon01
21st May 2019, 17:31
Turkish Airlines

Turkish will now run a reduced schedule in June 2019, due to the 737 MAX issue

There are 15 cancellations in June, but also some upgrades on certain flights to an A321

The service will be once-daily instead of twice-daily on; Mon 3, Tue 4, Fri 7, Sat 8, Mon 10, Tue 11, Thu 13, Fri 14, Mon 17, Thu 20, Fri 21, Mon 24, Tue 25, Thu 27, Fri 28 June

The full twice-daily service resumes on 29 June

jon01
22nd May 2019, 05:54
Olympus A321 SX-ACP arrives on Wed 22 May to operate for TUI alongside SX-ABY, departing back to Manchester after a Kos rotation

B752 G-POWH also arrives on 22 May for TUI

jon01
23rd May 2019, 18:58
Wamos A332 EC-LNH is arriving Thu evening to operate for TUI on Fri 24 May

A332 CS-TQW is positioning in for TUI on the afternoon of May 24th

B752 G-POWH is positioning out on the 24th May

Balkan Holidays are using 29 year old MD82 LZ-ADV on their Fri 24th May service, due to a shortage of aircraft

jon01
28th May 2019, 14:35
SAS Oslo & Stockholm

SAS will operate a short season of direct flights to Oslo and Stockholm over Xmas and New Year 19/20 using A320 & B737-700

jon01
30th May 2019, 06:42
Flights to Madrid will see some upgrades to larger equipment due to the football. Iberia Express are expected to use A321s on 30 & 31 May

jon01
31st May 2019, 19:56
Wamos Air B744 EC-MDS is positioning in on Fri 31 May, operating for TUI over Saturday and Sunday

jon01
1st Jun 2019, 09:58
Wamos Air B744 EC-MDS is positioning in on Fri 31 May, operating for TUI over Saturday and Sunday

First departure is to Las Palmas at 13:55 Saturday 01 June, returning at 23:35

Reminder: This info is not to be copied to other forums without permission or at least quoting the source - Thank you!

diffident
1st Jun 2019, 17:54

Reminder: This info is not to be copied to other forums without permission or at least quoting the source - Thank you!

That's an awfully large aircraft for cover isn't it?? Surely it'll only be half-loaded?

CabinCrewe
1st Jun 2019, 19:02
This info is not to be copied to other forums without permission
Without personally owning this information, I think it would be unlikely you could tell where the source originated. I'm guessing there are others privvy to this info who would be equally entitled to post it elsewhere (wherever that may be) :confused:

ATNotts
1st Jun 2019, 19:27
That's an awfully large aircraft for cover isn't it?? Surely it'll only be half-loaded?

Have perhaps two flights been consolidated? It's certainly a possibility, and I bet there'll be a few disgruntled passengers "taking to social media" if they have been.

ssflyer
1st Jun 2019, 21:33

It flew over my house, so it is not secret, and I plotted it on flight radar24
SS

Guest 112233
1st Jun 2019, 21:47
Have perhaps two flights been consolidated? It's certainly a possibility, and I bet there'll be a few disgruntled passengers "taking to social media" if they have been.

Looking at Fr24 its over the Bay of Biscay at FL400 tracking towards Caen ? Cherburg - ETA Brum about Midnight. GS 480 Knots - At a guess routing to Kathy (Isle of White ) and a bit before the FR24 Estimate (updated arrival time 23.55- Complex Systems ? )

OltonPete
1st Jun 2019, 22:36
Without personally owning this information, I think it would be unlikely you could tell where the source originated. I'm guessing there are others privvy to this info who would be equally entitled to post it elsewhere (wherever that may be) :confused:

A sad indictment of this forum at times and often people do have an over-inflated opinion of their own importance or just sometimes we don't get their humour. I know of a few people on various BHX forums that would have access to the Wamos information and some don't seem to be able to accept the fact others working at BHX do post on various forums or share information.

The strange thing that possibly one specific post on one other forum (I am not a member but view) seemed quite a light-hearted rebuke but personally I thought the poster actually would have known about this flight unless referring to other posts on other forums. However on the Wamos flight, I agree there are plenty of databases and source this could have been sourced from and it is just a case of who was first :mad:

Oh by the way if anyone wants to repeat the rubbish I post on here - feel free :ok:

Back to BHX, difficult week at times with Jet2 suffering some delays (see Jet2 thread) and again Flybe targeting Friday for cancellations with two Glasgow's resulting in just 3 inbound flights (out of 7) as two other flights seem to have been non-ops beforehand as well one Edinburgh cancelled.

Pete

jon01
2nd Jun 2019, 04:55

Next flight for the Wamos B744 is to Malaga on Sunday 02 June, 07:00/13:55

jon01
2nd Jun 2019, 09:26
Next flight for the Wamos B744 is to Malaga on Sunday 02 June, 07:00/13:55

After Malaga, the B744 will be operating the Larnaca flight, departing at 15:35

jon01
3rd Jun 2019, 05:21
TUI update 03 June

A321 SX-ACP has positioned in to join SX-ABY and operates to Dalaman at 07:00

SX-ACP replaces Wamos Air B744 EC-MDS

cheesebag
3rd Jun 2019, 13:59

I flew a few weeks ago from MAN to ACE on a 789 covering a Max8, I upgraded to premium, only 12 of us in the cabin

cheesebag
3rd Jun 2019, 14:00
A sad indictment of this forum at times and often people do have an over-inflated opinion of their own importance or just sometimes we don't get their humour. I know of a few people on various BHX forums that would have access to the Wamos information and some don't seem to be able to accept the fact others working at BHX do post on various forums or share information.

The strange thing that possibly one specific post on one other forum (I am not a member but view) seemed quite a light-hearted rebuke but personally I thought the poster actually would have known about this flight unless referring to other posts on other forums. However on the Wamos flight, I agree there are plenty of databases and source this could have been sourced from and it is just a case of who was first :mad:

Oh by the way if anyone wants to repeat the rubbish I post on here - feel free :ok:

Back to BHX, difficult week at times with Jet2 suffering some delays (see Jet2 thread) and again Flybe targeting Friday for cancellations with two Glasgow's resulting in just 3 inbound flights (out of 7) as two other flights seem to have been non-ops beforehand as well one Edinburgh cancelled.

Pete

Any idea which Glasgow is cancelled? Wife is due out on the 06-55 Friday

jon01
3rd Jun 2019, 18:03
TUI update 03 June

A321 SX-ACP has positioned in to join SX-ABY and operates to Dalaman at 07:00 and then the afternoon Palma

SX-ACP replaces Wamos Air B744 EC-MDS

The Wamos B744 positions out to Madrid at 20:15 Mon 03 June

OltonPete
4th Jun 2019, 20:29
Source: CAA Provisional stats April 2019 1004085 up 4.3% from 962715 in April 2018 but April 2017 was 1063571

Obviously April was an interesting month for mid and long-haul going east due to the Turkish MAX, Dubai runway maintenance, Turkmenistan ban and Pakistani airspace issues affecting India. On the positive side it has resulted in very good load factors on what did operate -

Dubai down 10% but I think a BHX record (probably not far off world record) average of 538 per flight at 87% load factor.
Qatar as expected gained by Emirates cancellations at 12448 pax up 13% 207 per flight or 81% load factor (1 x A359),
Pakistan 7699 up 13%, 296 per flight at 85%
Air India down massively but 229 per flight at 89% load factor.
Turkish was down around 1000 at 11983 averaging 127 pax or 81% - possibly slightly disappointing considering the number of cancellations.

Usual disclaimer re the above - I used FR24 for the number of rotations and we know how risky that is although still an excellent source even if you do have to pay for that little bit of extra information.

How many routes around the world average 538 per flight for a whole month (Manchester was over 500 as well - I made it around 521).

Note - if you download the Excel version of the International Route Analysis it gives you the March figures but the PDF version is fine, This is for BHX and I haven't checked other airports.

Pete

OltonPete
7th Jun 2019, 12:11
As in previous years the 4th based aircraft is activated from Thursday 19 December until Monday 6 January and extras to around the 8th.Some routes are more straightforward than others:

Thursday - RMU (Murcia) based and Krakow but 26th and 2nd away based. Modlin away based 19/12 & 2/1
Friday - BZG & TFS based plus Alicante away based
Saturday - MAD & MLA based
Sunday - KTW and an extra Gdansk basd making two departures within an hour
Monday - BZG
Tuesday - AGP (24 & 31) Arrecife 24th & 31st, Verona on the 31st only
Wednesday Verona on the 1st and Madrid restarts on a Wednesday

Madrid which is reduced this winter for the first time ever to three a week during off-peak" but is up to 5 a week over Christmas and New Year and the Saturday extra is a fist I think on a BHX based aircraft.

It is possible I might have missed some as there are gaps but all looks pretty similar to the last few years.

Pete
Pete

OltonPete
8th Jun 2019, 19:21
Source: CAA for the passenger figure and some rotations for 2018 (2018 average pax should be accurate) and FR24 for 2019, which will mean some inaccuracies. For load factors I used various aviation and airline websites. Note, these are Schedule routes only but include Thomas Cook and not TUI, which is not my choice just the way the CAA process the figures.

The 2017 figures are also shown and as you can see some routes such as Lisbon and Gibraltar remain vacant. Some 2018 load factors have not been calculated as aircraft types (configs) are not known on certain days.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1775x731/screenshot_15__587941bc1dc3e1b88c19fb53348cbb53f50915de.png
Some explanations needed as some big swings on certain routes.

Vienna, not much change but disappointing in as much as fewer frequencies and low factor not reflecting the change as hoped.

Brussels is a huge difference as it was the A319 the year before and only a 3% improvement in load factor so no problem filling the A319 but no doubt cheaper on the CRJ9.

As for Star Alliance European routes, Munich has seem more capacity via bigger aircraft, Frankfurt steady but Copenhagen shrinking. Zurich is a mystery as there were a few non-ops flights - so pre-planned cancellations which would explain for some loss of pax.

I think Amsterdam saw a reduction of one Flybe and one KLM daily flight although more seats on existing services for the latter but a remarkable load factor.

Not really much comment on the FR and Jet2 routes although a few seem to able to take more capacity but again I suppose why risk yields if you can fill them at current prices.

Flybe again seem not be affected by the takeover too much and although some routes were down, overall they look fine - superficially of course.

easyjet ended daily GVA at with the beginning of April rather than mid-April and hence the reduction but load factors improved (and hopefully yields) although prices went south in late April which is no surprise.

Wizz loads seem generally okay if not spectacular as I believe their network wide load factor is a bit higher (May was 93%).

Long-haul/medium-haul was excellent considering what went on although perhaps it might have been hoped that Qatar would gain more from the Dubai runway closure. Turkish you could say is not moving that much but hampered this year by the MAX problems.

Pakistan is still below 2017 in terms of passenger figures but better load factors.

Dublin, Shannon and Cork were affected by the rugby semi-final at the Ricoh with no doubt some light inbound and outbound legs at times.

Pete

alm1
12th Jun 2019, 18:56
Wizz Air changed winter schedulles and now 6 hours will separate Wroclaw - Birmingham and Birmingham - Wroclaw. Most likely they will announce a new route to an airport that is not their base to be operated as out of base rotation with this Wroclaw based aircraft.

OltonPete
12th Jun 2019, 19:52
Wizz Air changed winter schedulles and now 6 hours will separate Wroclaw - Birmingham and Birmingham - Wroclaw. Most likely they will announce a new route to an airport that is not their base to be operated as out of base rotation with this Wroclaw based aircraft.

Well spotted missed that one and I have heard of nothing rumoured but to be fair I never have with Wizz. If I have calculated it is around 2.15 flying time with 30 minutes turnoaround - lands 16.00 departs 16.30 to destimation x arrives 18.45 and then departs 19.15 arriving BHX 21.30 and leaves for Wroclaw 22.00.

This would mean a new route surely rather than one of the other services retimed?

Air India

Now put back until Tuesday 17 September, which I assume reflects what is still going on with their neighbours :(

Pete

jon01
16th Jun 2019, 12:01
Turkish July 2019

Less cancellations and quite a few upgrades, including one widebody:

Thu 4th am A321
Wed 10th am A320
Fri 19th pm A321
Wed 24th am Cnx
Sat 27th am A321
Sun 28th am A321 pm A321
Mon 29th am A321 pm A333
Tue 30th pm A321
Wed 31st pm Cnx

OltonPete
16th Jun 2019, 13:07
Reported on another forum there isn't any winter flights showing to Larnaca

I can't say I always remember to check Blue Air but OTP is bookable.

I seem to remember summer 19 was put on sale reasonably late.

Coincidentally Larnaca now 5 a week for the first time with Wednesday operating until mid September.

Winter is looking threadbare to Larnaca as Jet2 and TUI operate for a few weeks only.

Pete

Rutan16
16th Jun 2019, 19:30
Larnaca has very poor winter service from the whole of the UK; These days most of the charters and quasi schedules go into Paphos catering for the villa owner market especially near Christmas.

THE EASTERN COAST RESORTS ARE DEAD AFTER THE END OF SEPTEMBER !

Indeed from November through to April the weather isn’t exactly brilliant either .

Spent the entire month of February in Dekalia some years ago on a construction project for the MOD and it was seriously cold and wet . Indeed went up Trudos on one weekend skiing !

Cyprus isn’t a winter sun resort island !

OltonPete
16th Jun 2019, 21:57
Larnaca has very poor winter service from the whole of the UK; These days most of the charters and quasi schedules go into Paphos catering for the villa owner market especially near Christmas.

THE EASTERN COAST RESORTS ARE DEAD AFTER THE END OF SEPTEMBER !

Indeed from November through to April the weather isn’t exactly brilliant either .

Spent the entire month of February in Dekalia some years ago on a construction project for the MOD and it was seriously cold and wet . Indeed went up Trudos on one weekend skiing !

Cyprus isn’t a winter sun resort island !

Agreed not a place for mass or moderate tourism in winter and even March is hit and miss.

However I have gone back as far as December 2000 and BHX has maintained some kind of service and I even remember Cyprus Airways schedule running all winter but with abysmal loads and perhaps just a sign of the times.

I am sure if there was money to be made Jet2 would extend the season and they clearly draw the line at mid November.

I even seem to remember several years ago (pre-Loco) an article suggesting a proposal to close Paphos for January and February let alone Larnaca, of course this didn't come to pass..

Pete

jon01
20th Jun 2019, 13:46
TUI update 20 June

B787-9 G-TUIL is operating to Malta and return 14:22/21:10

jon01
20th Jun 2019, 20:07
TUI update 20 June

B787-9 G-TUIL is operating to Malta and return 14:22/21:30

This is only temporary cover, G-TUIL will position back to Gatwick at 05:00 21 June