PDA

View Full Version : Jet2 Autumn 2014

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Wodka
2nd Sep 2014, 16:18
Selection has opened again for type rated 737 or 757 FO & CP.

Anyone on the inside know if they are planning on any Non-Type rated recruitment this year?

galwaypilot
2nd Sep 2014, 18:26
I'd imagine rated guys get 1st preference! Financially it makes sense...

SHUNT
2nd Sep 2014, 18:51
Enough 75/73 rated Brits wanting to get back to the UK... I doubt there will be any NTR recruitment this time around IMHO.

Win94
5th Sep 2014, 17:29
whats the money like at Jet2?

Flying Wild
5th Sep 2014, 18:20
Pretty much as per PPJN

Aluminium shuffler
6th Sep 2014, 12:38
PPJN gives a good idea of how the money is calculated, but that's not much help without knowing how many miles a pilot is going to cover each duty. Does anyone know what the typical annual gross earnings for average line FOs and Capts on the two fleets are?

rumour mill
9th Sep 2014, 10:48
Does anyone know roughly how many if any non type rated pilots were taken over the past year? I was placed in the pool last year and sat stagnant for a year without word. I was wondering if that was the common experience among other individuals. I hope if they are about to start looking at non type rated recruitment they will look at those already treading water.

acepilotmurdock
9th Sep 2014, 10:52
We have lots from my current company in the pool as well as friends from another airline who is saying the same. I did hear a rumour and it was only rumour that they might not take non typed this year :ugh:

fa2fi
9th Sep 2014, 13:29
I've heard no NTR this year also. :{

4Screwaircrew
9th Sep 2014, 14:36
Yes NTR were taken on and I'm sure they will continue to do so, the pool of current and qualified candidates is a shallow one.

Sean Dillon
9th Sep 2014, 20:11
And lots of folk still intending/are heading to more grown up pastures! So don't lose hope...

rumour mill
11th Sep 2014, 11:55
Well that's good to hear but I am afraid the only certainty is likely to be Jet2's poor communication.

Fg Off Kite
12th Sep 2014, 21:12
Antonio, believe me, you're better off without them:ugh:

A and C
13th Sep 2014, 17:07
I guess that there will soon be an abundance of non type rated positions with JET2 as soon as the long awaited Norwegian base oop north is announced.

Onisar
14th Sep 2014, 12:16
Hi guys,

Good news for low hour's guys with at least 500TT.
Jet2 is now recruiting !
There is an online assesment to complete , same as NAS.

Good luck and wish you happy landings.
Unfortunalty iv got only 220TT. :((

Is Any other Airlines recruiting for low hours pilot?

SCINHead
14th Sep 2014, 13:56
Non-TR'd recruitment now live! :ok:

harry-seaside
14th Sep 2014, 16:10
Are they asking everyone to make the assessments straight after filling out the long,long application form?

sk8erboi
14th Sep 2014, 17:49
Dear A and C

Let it go!!

Sean Dillon
14th Sep 2014, 20:08
Hahaha! If you listen carefully, you can hear all B737 Training Captains jumping for joy at the prospect of Summer 2015!!

Fg Off Kite
14th Sep 2014, 21:00
Haven't they just opened a simulator facility in Bradford? Perhaps this could be an ideal opportunity to make some money out of young hopefuls. Are they charging for the type rating at all?

Tullster
15th Sep 2014, 13:06
Hi Just completed application. Anyone have info on online assessments you have to do after application. Numerical/verbal reasoning etc. thought I'd get a heads up before starting. Anyone competed them yet?

Thanks

harry-seaside
15th Sep 2014, 13:42
Math: Graphs and percentages calculations

Verbal Reasoning: Little bit of text with a sentence given where you have to reply true,false or unable to find in text. (pretty easy, only 20something questions with enough time to spare)

Personality quiz: 230 standard questions with the same old agree-neutral-not agree answer.

Same as any other company you apply for nowadays. I guess it's easy for H&R to filter out pilot's if you have a :mad: load of applications to go through...

acepilotmurdock
15th Sep 2014, 16:36
I logged out without doing the online bit thinking I could do it a bit later as I had just finished work......... Seems I can't get back on to do it, can anyone help? It's ok I have figured it out ;)

ITFC1
16th Sep 2014, 11:00
Tried to save near the end of the application, for me it didn't work, so have to do the whole lost again.

Just in case anyone else thinking of doing the same.

has anyone else had issues uploading licenses etc, mine just says not recognized and the program crashes and i have to start all over again

harry-seaside
16th Sep 2014, 12:55
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who did that....:ugh:

Aluminium shuffler
16th Sep 2014, 17:26
I did the same thing. I phoned their HR department, explained the problem and they reset the test later that day. I'm sure they're quite used to it! It didn't count in any way as a black mark - I did the assessment day about a fortnight later.

ps007
17th Sep 2014, 12:00
my application gone and I can log back in to do online tests ok.

aloa326
17th Sep 2014, 13:17
Very unpleasant the online test...got stuck hundreds time....emailed to HR and waiting for reply.

Wodka
18th Sep 2014, 11:23
looks like the job listing has closed already/been taken down.

Good luck to all who applied.

ProFly
22nd Sep 2014, 13:01
Anybody else had any rejections yet?

saladdodger
22nd Sep 2014, 13:16
Anybody called for an assessment day yet?

harry-seaside
22nd Sep 2014, 14:11
ProFly; did you get a rejection email?

ProFly
22nd Sep 2014, 14:23
Harry: Nothing Yet, no feedback. Application still stated Received with Job Status Open.

Was wondering whether the aptitude tests sent the automated response upon failing / non-completing.

aloa326
22nd Sep 2014, 18:00
Hi folks,

rejected as expected....no fullfill the requirements...was just a try.

next time....maybe...maybe

WX Man
23rd Sep 2014, 13:09
Was there a time limit in which to do the online tests?

Aluminium shuffler
23rd Sep 2014, 15:26
The tests were about 20 minutes each, with more questions than you can complete in the allotted time. I only answered about half the maths questions - they didn't seem overly relevant to flying, more to commerce, but it's just a filter after all.

pilots
24th Sep 2014, 23:18
Did the tests last weekend, indeed approx 20 minutes each. With some quick calculations i completed all math questions with 2 minutes left (no idea how many correct but the answer was most of the time in the multiple choice options). Had more problems with the verbal reasoning...

harry-seaside
29th Sep 2014, 12:18
Did anyone already got some reply from Jet2?
My status just says "under review"

ITFC1
29th Sep 2014, 12:59
Mine says the same

saladdodger
30th Sep 2014, 10:48
I hear that there are quite a few in a hold pool following last year's recruitment. Have those treading water not heard anything yet?

rumour mill
30th Sep 2014, 17:59
I have been swimming since my sim assessment and heard practically nothing until I recently received an email from recruiting stating that my scores from last year would be kept and I would be considered in this round of recruiting as well. It was good to get some comms as I was about to restart the whole application process again. Hopefully Jet2.com spending some money on a sim check and coming out of it relatively well will stand for something. However, I assume due to the number of more qualified individuals and type rated guys looking to join I would be lucky to get anything more than rejection letter in the coming weeks. They did mention they would hope to respond in 4 weeks or so. Although, a few weeks did turn into months last year!

babisiliop
1st Oct 2014, 13:28
Could anybody tell me,whether or not Jet2 provides air ticket as well as accommodation for the assessments?

Cheers

Honiley
1st Oct 2014, 13:50
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No!

dondino
2nd Oct 2014, 13:26
Might be lucky if you dont pay the ride on the sim.....:E

Aluminium shuffler
3rd Oct 2014, 12:12
Sim is free, as is the coffee and tea, but you have to make your own way there. There is a hotel 200 yards away that isn't badly priced, though I was bitten by something in the bed!

Capt_Sensible
3rd Oct 2014, 12:32
Has any NTR FO's had a call from them regarding assessments recently?

Fg Off Kite
3rd Oct 2014, 14:30
Don't expect any free travel if you're successful either!!

4redsyourdead
4th Oct 2014, 08:17
Has anybody actually heard anything? I applied almost a month ago. 1000+ 737NG and completed the online assessments. My application has been under review for 3 weeks.

Fatigued Fred
4th Oct 2014, 08:23
I wonder if Blackpool airports rumored closure has Jet2 rethinking its recruitment plans. Does it have much of an operation there?

Aquafina1
9th Oct 2014, 04:47
Received this yesterday afternoon. Applied and did online tests in early September. Many of these sent out yesterday?

Good afternoon

Thank you for your interest in Jet2.com and your application for our Non Type Rated First Officer vacancies. Due to a very high level of interest in this vacancy, we have not yet processed your application, but you are still under consideration.

We are working through all applicants as quickly as possible and expect to be able to respond to your application in the next 4 weeks.

Thank you once again for your application to become a Pilot with Jet2.com.

The Jet2.com Recruitment Team

Wodka
9th Oct 2014, 12:04
Yeah I got one too. The job advert was only open for a few days so I wonder how many applications they are dealing with... ?

dondino
9th Oct 2014, 12:09
Same here,
Same tought as Wodka, how many appications you should have with only 2 days available?and some of the candidates already phased out!

seven3
10th Oct 2014, 08:23
Same here.

but you are still under consideration.
Is it only to give hope or there is a waiting list ?

Honiley
10th Oct 2014, 09:21
Jet2 will be taking what suits them best! Make no mistake, if enough type-rated folk apply, you non-type rated will be binned!

They are simply hanging on...

Speaking to old colleagues who joined early 2014, "despondent" and "far from friendly" we're 2 comments. You may be in for a lucky escape!

galwaypilot
10th Oct 2014, 09:30
Honily. I wouldn't say "unfriendly"... However I would say completely unorganised and totally reactive not proactive. That goes from their hourly updates on revisions to their manuals, SOP's and above all their rosters. All very unorganised. Very much a flying club mentality still. A lot of chiefs too few Indians, so everyone has a say thus decisions go back and fourth for awhile before being made. Hence I'm looking to leave!

taxi_driver
10th Oct 2014, 10:02
They know a fair % of pilots will be leaving, just not exact numbers, fleets, seats or bases. Its all very fluid. They have had problems with training capacity, no point recruiting more than they can reasonably train, type rated needs less training, recruiting a direct entry skipper reduces the training needed, but annoys the hell out of internal command applicants.

From old colleagues who work there, if you get a base close to home it can be an "Ok Job", but I haven't spoke to anyone flying there with a good word to say about the company culture. Everything is done on the cheap, and that is not always best value in the medium and long term.

Johnny F@rt Pants
10th Oct 2014, 10:52
It's such a shame that their are such myths that get over exaggerated more often that not. I have worked at Jet2 now for 11 years, so I've seen the growth and the growing pains, it's never perfect, but where is?

Everything is done on the cheap, and that is not always best value in the medium and long term. - they obviously haven't been to the new sim centre yet then, they'll soon pipe down when they see the quality of what has been created.

but annoys the hell out of internal command applicantsThe internal candidates all get their shot, I can't think of anybody that hasn't been given the opportunity of proving themselves whilst DEC's have been taken, I might be wrong, but if I am it will certainly be the vast minority, and there were probably underlying reasons.

Speaking to old colleagues who joined early 2014, "despondent" and "far from friendly" we're 2 comments. You may be in for a lucky escape!They haven't given it long have they?? "Despondent"?? Did they say what about?? "Unfriendly"?? You have got to be kidding, it is without a doubt a very friendly place to work. There is more than a trickle who have left over the years who either have returned or are looking to do so, they found out that the grass really isn't any greener over the fence.

So, to those of you that want to join, good luck, the process can be somewhat disjointed, but the selection process is marching on (I've seen the sim schedule)

Honiley
10th Oct 2014, 11:23
Johnny!

I'm afraid you fall into the few categories that will always support and by all accounts the opinion of which is taken with a bucket of salt:

Long term Phillip Meeson employee straight from previous career/airforce/ex CHANNEX/never experienced another culture!
Ex Brookfield Ryanair contract
Need a job!
Second Officer/Pilot Apprentice!

I do understand the sim centre is good, probably just as well considering the pilot turnover! I wonder where those that left that wish to return went to?!?

Johnny F@rt Pants
10th Oct 2014, 16:05
Honiley

In the words of the most excellent P.I.L., (slightly altered) "you could be wrong, you could be right"

I don't think that I am always as "company" as you make out, however having been here for the time that I have I believe that I am more than qualified to make comments that are based on far more experience of the good, the bad and the indifferent than someone who hasn't managed 12 months yet.

Of your descriptive phrases you have me on one of them, but then I think we'd all fall into one of those categories,

Long term Phillip Meeson employee straight from previous career/airforce/ex CHANNEX/never experienced another culture!Nope, worked for 2 other airlines prior to Jet2, one UK and one European.

Ex Brookfield Ryanair contractNope, never been anywhere near them on any contract.

Need a job!Well I suppose I did, although I was flying for another airline that I left to join Jet2.

Second Officer/Pilot Apprentice! Nope, joined as an F/O.

I do understand the sim centre is good, probably just as well considering the pilot turnover!Makes it sound like they are leaving in droves, well of the almost 600 I can think of less than half a dozen that have left over the last year or so. I think that there will be some more move on this winter, but it's nowhere near the exodus that your language would make people believe.

I wonder where those that left that wish to return went to?!?Emirates & Fly Dubai off the top of my head without thinking very hard at all.

Maybe I do look at it through slightly rose tinted glasses, but it suits me to a tee. I'm home most of the time, I live where I want, the company has consistently paid my salary every month without fail for the last 11 years and I haven't had any inclination that my position has been under any sort of doubt, there's not many airlines that I could have been employed by that could say that in the UK, and that security is worth quite a lot.

As I said quite openly, it's not perfect, but where is these days?

Rank_Ace
12th Oct 2014, 09:47
Anyone from the hold pool last year hear anything new yet. Other than the we hope to let you know in 4-6 weeks email from about 6 weeks ago.

silverhawk
12th Oct 2014, 13:35
I'll support JFP on what he says.

I used to work for Jet2. Really enjoyed it. 5 good years. Not perfect, but very good. You could talk to the top man openly and honestly. I did often.

You won't get rich in a hurry but you will have stability. That level of security is a valuable asset.

As for the friendly aspect, well let me tell you this. To the pax, the crew really enjoy playing host and looking after the customers. Better than that, internally, the Staff are excellent at looking after one another. There really is a great family atmosphere. That is why it hurt so much when I left in 2009. Also why there are so many tears at Blackpool now as the airfield closes.

If I was taking a job in UK and had a choice of carrier to fly for it would be Jet2.

Check Mags On
12th Oct 2014, 21:45
I think you need to post that comment about "far from Friendly" in the relevant section of the airline you are talking about.
As I do not recognise it as the airline that I work for.
Jet2 is without doubt the friendliest place I have ever worked. Inside and outside of aviation. I am based at Manchester which is the largest base and the atmosphere in the crew room is always warm and friendly.

CB_dodger
13th Oct 2014, 17:02
Hi All.

I've got a few questions regarding Jet2 I was hoping you might be able to help me with;

● What is the average take home for a First Officer?
● What are the chances of a command upgrade?
● Are you on half salary until you've completed line training?
● How is morale in general?
● What is a average summer/winter roster in the GLA and EDI bases?
● Is it possible to progress onto the 75 from the 73?

I really appreciate your feedback guys and galls.

MrHorgy
13th Oct 2014, 21:39
Dodger,

1) Average take home will vary with seasonality. FO takes maybe £3100 after pension and a good month, SFO maybe £3400. Winter will be less.

2) Command requirements are 3000 factorised hours, 6 months post Final Line Check and 300 hours on Jet2 aircraft. If you're coming with hours, then pretty good, however it can take time when you're only doing 550 hours a year (although seems to be more nowadays)

3) Yes. Although apparently it's been capped now so if it takes an unreasonable amount of time due to no fault of your own you will go to normal pay.

4) Good-ish. Summer is hard work, expect 6 on, 2 off. Some duties separated by less than 62 hours (quarter day off payment for your trouble - DOP for FO is £250, Capt £400 before tax). Aircraft seem to have their fair share of tech problems, meaning some work out of other bases, and the inevitable Airport Standby messing about. Otherwise a friendly place to work with a good range of experience and nice crews.

5) GLA is 800 only on the 737, EDI is 300. EDI does night mail, GLA does the longer flights, so it's 6 and 2 x 3. Longer flights mean more duty hours = can't do as many flights. However we worked hard in the more southerly bases this summer (see above)

6) Probably. Company has stated the 757 will hang around a bit, and rumour is they are leaving NCL to go to LBA and the 800's are going the other way. Long term I think the plan is to get more 800's.

Good luck to you. The recruitment gears may drive slowly, but you should get an answer eventually!

CB_dodger
13th Oct 2014, 22:48
Thanks MrHorgy,

Cheers for the info. I guess in the summer during 6/2 you'll have a couple of standby days? You mentioned airport standby?

Sounds like all hands on deck for summer. So how is the winter?

Serria Romeo
17th Oct 2014, 07:24
Can someone in the know provide the details of Jet2 increments for LTC's / TRI's and TRE's.

Serria Romeo
17th Oct 2014, 10:33
They are advertising at the moment for direct entry TRI's on a fixed term contract.

Mister rigsby
17th Oct 2014, 10:34
Why post a statement like that? It's not a strange question - Jet2 often take direct entry trainers, loads from bmibaby.

CB_dodger
18th Oct 2014, 09:42
Hi All,

If there is any pilots North of the wall that wouldn't mind having a quick chat with me, pls pm me.

Really appreciated.

nick14
18th Oct 2014, 13:36
One assumes that they won't be interested in FO TRIs?

thrustidle74
19th Oct 2014, 06:37
Hi all,

Very recently we made the decision to move to the UK (wife is Scottish), I've always heard good things about Jet2 from my colleagues who previously worked for them.

My problem at this stage is I'm on a non-EU passport with eligibility to get a work/residence visa.

I tried to email the recruitment team on the email address provided on the online application but got no response. I have a switch board number but I doubt they'll pass me to the recruitment team.

I got EASA license, lots of Boeing/medium-heavy/ Left Seat experience.

We are primarily looking for life style change, don't care what/where I fly, just need to get out of Middle East.

I appreciate any info/feedback on my passport issue (even a direct phone no for recruitment team), please feel free to reply publicly or via PM.

Cheers

jpboy
21st Oct 2014, 19:20
thrustidle74,

Did you attempt to apply for a Type Rated Captain/FO application on the website and encounter an issue? If not applications are still invited on the Jet2 website;

Career Search (http://www.jet2careers.com/career-search?searchKeyword=Pilot)

If it lets you through the system given your unique experience and personal circumstances you will be given a candidate reference/identification number. Any dealings with HR will be much easier once you can quote that number.

Good luck.

Trossie
22nd Oct 2014, 09:00
... I'm on a non-EU passport with eligibility to get a work/residence visa.Go flat out to get that 'work/residence visa'. 'Eligibility' won't get you a job, the actual visa in you passport will be a very good start for any job.

thrustidle74
22nd Oct 2014, 13:07
JP & Trossie,

Many thanks for your tips & advice.
I figured visa process takes 8 weeks or so. I'll try to get that done in my busy roster and in the mean time I've emailed a set of JET2 recruitment emails to see if I could have a chance for an interview before the whole visa process.

Wodka
27th Oct 2014, 13:53
At the risk of sounding like a old broken scratchy warn out record, does anyone know what is going on?!

Aluminium shuffler
28th Oct 2014, 08:01
Before I applied, I spoke with the recruitment team to try to get some details to see if applying was going to be worthwhile. I didn't get all the details I was after, but they did give me a lot of them, and were very friendly as they did so. I don't think you'd have any problem going through the main switchboard to speak to them - that's what I did.

horsebox
28th Oct 2014, 11:40
Recruitment is very fluid. A recent base closure and re-jigging of routes. Removal of 75's from Ncl and an unknown number of leavers all mean it changes day by day...

Scott_T
28th Oct 2014, 17:06
I applied as soon as recruitment opened rated experienced 737 FO I have completed all the online tests,application still under review,when I initially called I was told interviews would be mid October yet I have not heard a peep, has anyone been contacted for interview? however it was the same situation last year, although I am pretty sure I had completed the first interview at this stage.

overclock25
29th Oct 2014, 09:23
@Scott, the same for me, my application is still "under review" and the last update was the 21st of october. We will see....
type rated FO

Scott_T
31st Oct 2014, 08:43
Just got the rejection e-mail despite being promised an interview...

ProFly
31st Oct 2014, 10:05
PFO

510TT
280ME

ITFC1
6th Nov 2014, 13:38
Just got my PFO.

3000 TT
1000 jet
1200 turbine
UK, Europe, Middle East, Asia and USA experience.

Stabalised737
7th Nov 2014, 11:39
Applied on day one. Still haven't heard a word. Does anybody know if you can join and go directly onto the SFO pay scale and what the requirements are. I've got over 1500 hours

heliusac
11th Nov 2014, 13:13
Also, unlike some other airlines, SFO is an not an automatic upgrade after 6 months regardless of previous experience. Even as a time served FO you have to apply for SFO when you have the relevent experience within Jet 2 and then be assessed. Direct SFO doesn't normally happen.

mikehammer
11th Nov 2014, 19:48
Good thread this. I've heard nowt so I'm thinking no news leaves hope. Been here before though and once again I'm up against many with far better qualifications and experience than I have. 3000 hrs no jet time 500 pic on single eng only (survey stuff no instructor qualifications), rest just turbo prop co pilot. Gis a job man! Please!

Firestorm
13th Nov 2014, 17:15
PFO e-mail received today. If it was a letter at least I cold use it to light the fire....

mikehammer
22nd Nov 2014, 15:39
Spoke to soon. PFO received today. Gutted.

Honiley
23rd Nov 2014, 17:32
From what I hear, the amount of resignations inbound in the New Year, quite a few things will change, if you're that desperate!

homerj
24th Nov 2014, 09:55
Hi, does anyone know what the simcheck is like.is it done on a 737 300.? Any info appreciated.

Lord Spandex Masher
24th Nov 2014, 09:57
It's been on the 800 recently, no idea what the profile is these days though.

Station_Calling
24th Nov 2014, 22:03
From what I hear, the amount of resignations inbound in the New Year, quite a few things will change, if you're that desperate!

Yep. Those rumours have been going on for 3 years now from a select few. Never materialised in any great defections though.

Big Tudor
25th Nov 2014, 08:02
Honiley seems to have a massive chip on the shoulder about Jet2. Fair enough it is not for everyone, but to spread your bitterness does you no favours. Time to move on I think.

Global_Global
25th Nov 2014, 08:59
7 oct 2010:

I too have been invited for an "assessment" on the 14th..

I'm type-rated with lots of jet time and to put it simply, I don'y have a 70% mortgage...so won't be able to do anything other than a full-time contract...we'll see what they offer!

I guess that Honiley didnt make the "assessment " in 2010 :D

Stabalised737
28th Nov 2014, 14:52
Anybody been for interview and heard any word back? Cheers

itsnotwhoyouknow
28th Nov 2014, 21:10
Far from Honiley having a chip on his/her shoulder, Jet2 have a serious problem with morale across many bases. There are many with applications elsewhere, and should the mass exodus not happen then its not for the want of trying. Its a good place to be home based, but a career airline it is not.

Honiley
28th Nov 2014, 23:15
I don't actually have a chip on my shoulder, I chose not to join this company because I see it for what it is, and talking to all my ex-colleagues who joined this year, turns out I was right! Regret seems to be a common phrase, but it's hilarious to listen to all those "Jet2ers" who I hear have little airline experience and their so easy to wind up...and they just keep biting!

And in all serious (and IMHO), just to throw in the firework, those ex-colleagues are totally unconvinced about job security due to a business plan that got it started 10 years ago, hasn't evolved, backed into a corner with an ageing, inadequate fleet with no "real" cash reserves and somehow thinks it's re-invented the package holiday!

Leave it to Pilot Apprentices! I think that's all its suited for!

Mr Angry from Purley
29th Nov 2014, 09:20
Grass is green job, maybe Honiley should tell us where all his ex colleagues worked..............:\

Big Tudor
29th Nov 2014, 09:54
Honiley

Your previous 'expert' analysis of airline business models has been proved to be less than accurate so you will have to excuse me if I take your critique of Jet2 and its future with a pinch of salt.

Secondly, you were critical of peoples comments regarding BA during their financial troubles and the impact these comments would have on employees, yourself in particular. And yet you are free and easy with your own damning comments with little regard for the impact on staff, and with apparently little knowledge of the company in question other than hearsay and speculation.

Jet2 are increasing in size and are providing employment opportunities for experienced captains and for young hopefuls starting their flying careers. Four additional B738's joining the fleet this winter, and I would guess the 300's will start to disappear in the coming years. The company is not for everyone; I challenge any airline to say that all of their pilots are totally happy and content. Read some of the threads in Fragrant Harbour about Cathay Pacific to hear how bad things can get

I have no idea if Jet2 will last 2 years or 20, but I could say the same for many airlines. The reality at the moment is they are there, they are employing, they have been giving pay rises and they are making money. Just not good enough for some though!

Facelookbovvered
29th Nov 2014, 20:44
I know plenty of people who work at Jet2 and most are happy with their lot, the issues are mainly around roster stability and that seems to be a summer issue. Its run by an individual who is hands on for better or worse and that can mean what is said one day changes the next, but thats not new either in the airlines, they still seem to have a planning issue, i know of 3 pilots (all Captains) that have been through the interview/sim loop this fall, all passed all awaiting starts dates that have heard nothing from them for weeks and have now excepted DEC with Ryanair, i think there will be a real shortage of 737 skippers this next summer, enough of s shortage to result in flight cancellations

Penworth
2nd Dec 2014, 11:17
And is being based overseas with Ryanair going to be any better? Yes, I know they have a fixed roster, but if 2 of those days off are spent commuting after being blasted for 5 days doing 4 sector days, are you really going to have a better home life? I guess if you eventually get back to the UK then it might not be so bad, but there's no guarantee of that.

The interesting thing is how uneven the rosters seem to be. At my recurrent ground school, there were some guys talking like Gorter, who had had enough with the constant changes. But there were a few, like myself who had been worked pretty hard all summer, had been bouncing off 100 hours in 28 days, but due to relatively few changes to our rosters didn't feel that things had been too bad.

i think people do like to moan, and admittedly this has been my hardest summer of 8 years flying commercially, but I'd be surprised if the number or resignations is as high as is being suggested.

taxi_driver
2nd Dec 2014, 12:26
Have heard close to 20 resignations in November? Including a few off to Ryanair, who for all the negatives, offer a roster that is concrete and predictable. Most J2 people I know regard it as an OK job, but a rubbish employer. The trump card is being home nearly every night, if roster stability collapses, and you are to tired to enjoy home life people will walk.

INeedTheFull90
2nd Dec 2014, 12:56
Is that a guaranteed 9 days leave in summer?

galwaypilot
2nd Dec 2014, 14:23
Yup! Might not be the 9 days you want though! There's a bidding system. Three groups and A B C. One group gets the bid first. Then the second then the third. They rotate the first bidding group every year I think to make it fair!

Facelookbovvered
2nd Dec 2014, 16:00
All of the above accurately reflects what i'm hearing from a good number of crews, nursing knackered aircraft around to get the job done, getting stitched by crewing and screwing with your family life, thats the one thats making people leave,just because its a duty day doesn't mean your Messons bitch, a modern Britain means that Dad's have have family responsibilities too, unless you wan't to join the line at the local park with Dad's on a Weekend enjoying visiting rights.

Ryanair are offering UK bases to DEC right now on direct Ryanair contracts, it might not be perfect, but neither is a Summer of CWP 'we have changes to your roster' V 15 at week two.

INeedTheFull90
2nd Dec 2014, 16:33
Well for those of you who think the grass is greener on the other side, I've had no summer leave, actually no leave for eight months, hammered in summer with many changes and roster only just got quieter toward end of November and it'll be back to carnage when our Ski Flights start up in a few weeks.

With guaranteed summer leave, virtually a winter shut down and a regional base I can't see why anyone would give that up to go abroad!

Honiley
2nd Dec 2014, 18:20
The one thing Jet2 cannot afford, in financial terms as well as everything else, is cancelled flights and expensive ad-hoc operators to cover the programme due not enough crew! Quite frankly, management incompetence! Will Jet2 survive a Ryanair type "summer 2014 Brick-Wall" where a big re-think is required? Especially given its very seasonal nature, even after 10 years! But KEF, MIR and AYT are new routes - push the limits!

Just where is this company going?! Interesting few years ahead, could be a real winner for those sticking out the pain...or not! Interesting gamble!

Even if they decide to crew any one of the 3 standby 757's, given the guys leaving/deals done from that fleet, do you think you could seriously recruit type rated guys?!? I think the "news" is out in my company, even East German based guys no longer interested!

Pilot Apprentice pool it is then...40 sectors+...seasonal....

taxi_driver
2nd Dec 2014, 19:48
They do seem to make a bit of a dogs breakfast of recruitment every year. Always a big splash on adverts in flight, nice fancy on line recruitment system, lots of people herded in, then silence.... No one hears anything for ages. Prime candidates drift off elsewhere, and new starters left with a bad taste on day one.

The local base, home most nights was the main attraction, but that sounds like its slipping away. Doing everything on the cheap is not always best value.

galwaypilot
2nd Dec 2014, 19:58
Guys all well and good. And all points made above are valid.

Jet2 isn't a rubbish airline to work for. Where I gained with the Jet2 contract I lost something else e.g 5/4 roster and a free commute. But no where is perfect. I believe the perfect airline is where you as an individual finds yourself based where you want and you're happy. Albeit on a 737 or an ATR etc.

Any airline for example FR, Jet2, BA etc all have their pluses and minuses. I Believe the next 5 years and especially the next 10. You're going to see a huge transformation in the European market. Leaded by FR and EZY etc. Ryanair seems to be pumping a mass volume of money into data collection and really getting into the minds of their potential consumers and shaping the company to facilitate their needs. This will include package holidays in the future and that combined with a new customer image and by then new planes and a sharp and comfortable interior with hundreds of destinations to choose from, I really think Jet2 & co should really stand up and take notice. Ryanair will be competing directly with Jet2 and TUI etc but with a much lower cost base.
At least TUI recognise this some what and have made an order on new aircraft. My concerns for Jet2 is that the company' mentality is too reactive to stand a chance against a machine like FR. I do accept Jet2 have a great brand and an awareness to it's customers for the most part. I feel jet2 needs to do what FR and Flybe are doing right now. Which is accepting who they are and forget what they think they are and work from there to streamline their imagine.

The fleet, management attitude, management structuring ( lots more chiefs then Indians!), Operational decision making, operational costs, crewing and rostering all need to be rejigged. If they can't be honest with themselves. How can they be honest with their staff and customers?

Artie Fufkin
2nd Dec 2014, 20:12
With guaranteed summer leave, virtually a winter shut down and a regional base I can't see why anyone would give that up to go abroad!
A point well worth considering. One of the individuals gorter refers to as giving up home base to work abroad for RYR was a tre and one of, if not the, most senior pilots in the company.

Do you hear alarm bells?

galwaypilot
2nd Dec 2014, 20:29
All in my humble opinion of course.

Lafyar Cokov
3rd Dec 2014, 12:18
I just went for the interview etc and - talking to the guys there - and others - it actually doesn't seem like a bad place to work at all. Yes - the summers are crazy busy and the aircraft are not exactly 'just out of the box' to put it mildly... but the one thing I came away with was an ethos of actually treating their crews as people (albeit people who are there to make them money) rather than just a number on a roster.....just a shame I cocked up the sim!

Ivan aromer
3rd Dec 2014, 13:00
Lafyar Cokov
sorry to hear about the sim, you are in good company it is alleged that the DFO failed to pass too.

Aluminium shuffler
3rd Dec 2014, 16:58
I have to say I was impressed with the attitudes displayed at the sim/selection day, and from the conversations I've had with those crew members I have met, their morale is certainly higher than in some o the other competitors mentioned. I was quite disappointed to have to decline the job offer because once I could work out the total pay, which had to be based on a few assumptions because they were a little coy, it became apparent I couldn't afford both the pay cut and the costs of digs in the base offered. They responded to my declining the offer with good grace, too, which is more that I expect from many employers. I think if you want to live in the north, you could probably do a lot worse than Jet2. I can't say what their roster is like in real life, but while I'm sure that they're tiring, please don't think the 5/4 RYR offer is any less so - the RYR pilots hit 100 hrs every month in summer on mostly 4 sector rather than 2 sector days, so the same number of flight hours but more turnarounds and more time in the crew room and commuting to and from work. Swings and roundabouts, guys - it was doing longer two sector days that was one of the appeals to me, though some might consider that a negative. Horses for courses and all that, but just because it doesn't suit you, it doesn't make the company a bad employer. If nothing changes, I would consider them again in the future when my personal costs and responsibilities change.

Mr Angry from Purley
3rd Dec 2014, 17:52
The point is that well educated, very well paid, respected Pilots make decisions to join Jet 2.
There is enough internet info, crew room banter to know exactly what your getting before you join. To start moaning after one season when there are Staff in the Office (and in the air) giving their all to ensure the airline prospers, many on low salaries just makes me so angry I could throw the phone down :\

A and C
3rd Dec 2014, 19:07
Jet2 just as their former incarnation Channel Express did, do just enough to keep most people, they are masters at the home life / work balance and offer a package that is not that attractive on a global scale but if you live near one of their bases and want a home life it is not worth upping sticks for more money.

Providing things stay the same oop north and no new airlines move ito town the remuneration package will not change, should the situation change Jet2 will after a few resignations undoubtedly up their game on pay and conditions.

4th Dec 2014, 08:30
Shuffler.
Not a pay cut going from FR to LS.
Not unless:
1: you weren't paying tax (they'll catch up with you)
2: you were getting relief for the type rating (short termist and not like-for-like)
3: you were STN or DUB and it suited you.
You can't claim one way or the other until you've had pay packets from both.

Aluminium shuffler
4th Dec 2014, 16:31
16024, are you suggesting you know what each and every pilot in RYR earns and what their tax liabilities are to be able to determine my gross and net pay? Unfortunately, you are wrong. I wish you weren't, but you are, to the tune of about £15k. Oh, and by the way, I'm on PAYE, so no, I'm not a tax evader. Nor do I get any training relief - I was never a RYR cadet. There are some people in RYR who earn a reasonable wage, not as much as the managers and PR folk state, but enough that wages are not one of our personal issues. The company has a multitude of different contracts and pay scales, and most bases don't know what each others' deals are, so don't assume you know just because of what you read or heard about a few bases. It's an illustration of how they divide and conquer and a part of why I want to leave - not because of what I earn, but because how badly paid and treated many colleagues on different deals are. I'd like to see everyone find a better job and leave them high and dry. So, while I appreciate that for many RYR pilots it'd probably give a pay rise, it doesn't for me.

Stabalised737
4th Dec 2014, 17:02
As a Ryanair UK employee. The salary at Jet2 for me would be around the same as my current Ryanair contract. What Jet2 offer me is a better base and more pleasant working environment.

Above The Clouds
8th Dec 2014, 17:53
Do they have a max age limit to join.

Johnny F@rt Pants
9th Dec 2014, 12:46
Contrary to Gorter's assumption Jet2 can afford to be extremely choosy, there appears to be no shortage of highly qualified and experienced candidates coming for the selection procedure. Many of these do not make it through for whatever reasons, so that doesn't come across as Jet2 not being anything other than choosy.

Honiley
9th Dec 2014, 15:45
And the Trainers keep peddling the nonsense! Good one JFP! Jet2's "brick wall" getting ever closer....

Above The Clouds
9th Dec 2014, 15:49
Is the recruitment process an on going process or is there a closing date for the current advertised NTR 737 positions ?

@Honiley
And the Trainers keep peddling the nonsense!

Did you fail a sim check given your general beef with the company ?

jpboy
9th Dec 2014, 18:37
And the Trainers keep peddling the nonsense! Good one JFP! Jet2's "brick wall" getting ever closer....

Honiley,

What is your issue?

I've heard people speak more fondly of their ex-partners after toxic divorces than you do about Jet2.

For those seeking a more balanced view, Aluminium shuffler #121 has summed it up nicely.

9th Dec 2014, 19:48
Shuffler

The company has a multitude of different contracts and pay scales

Which were mostly posted on the crew room wall!

If you are on that good a contract, I'd say you've made the right choice. You would definitely miss that 5/4.

Some of my friends on the old old contract, or the floaters did very nicely, but I was assuming you we're on the new old, or even the new new deal. Also, if you weren't a cadet you're probably a captain by now, so not facing a base change. All these things turn it into a judgement call. I'm a lot better off: only a little below the industry average. So I can't complain. Still do, though!

itsnotwhoyouknow
9th Dec 2014, 20:49
Those wanting to get in.

People who post negative things about Jet2 are not unhappy cos they failed. They're unhappy cos they've had to deal with the lies and betrayal of the senior members of the company. It's a good job to be based at home. But that pleasure won't last long when you see the way the company works on the inside. Feel free to join. But don't complain when your morale is low and you've wondered why you've joined on a 70% contract to be sat with no chance of upgrade due to company politics.

Jolly Foreigner
10th Dec 2014, 05:28
For anyone interested in a NTR DEC position, J2 only offer a 70% contract which 'should' be made up to a 100% contract at around 14-16 months after your start date. This is to cover the cost of the type conversion I was told, yet a 14.5k training bond was imbedded in the contract when it arrived! There was no mention of the 70% contract as being the only option to NTR guys at the assessment day.

:=

Trossie
10th Dec 2014, 07:11
@Honiley
And the Trainers keep peddling the nonsense!He must be 'puffing' that stuff again together with that dragon that lives near him! It does make him rather bitter, doesn't it? That autumn mist does seem to 'fog' his views somewhat! Do you think that he ever worked there or is it just that he didn't get in?

Johnny F@rt Pants
10th Dec 2014, 15:15
Honiley, you appear to know me, I don't hide behind a cloak here, everybody knows me and I'm happy with that. You appear to know little about the current recruitment however, as there was no nonsense in my statement.

I see many pilots coming for selection, from all backgrounds, many trying to return to Jet2 having tried the water elsewhere. Many of those that come for the assessment do not get through for one reason or another, they are from all backgrounds, not just inexperienced pilots, they are type rated, or flying other jets both considerably larger to somewhat smaller, to turbo-prop pilots to zero commercial experience at all. So if we can't be choosy we wouldn't be showing the door to so many experienced pilots would we?

Jet2 evidently isn't/wasn't for you, you obviously have a far better life, contract, T's & C's than those of us at little old Jet2, so enlighten us all Honiley, what is the name of this land of milk and honey airline that you are working for that permits you to Lord it about Jet2 so that we might be able to take a "balanced" view of your opinions?

heliusac
11th Dec 2014, 09:58
14.5k training bond
It was 28K over 3 years for the last lot. Starts after FLC and does not reduce for first year. If it's only 14.5k now that's a big reduction.

They also told the 70%'ers that they would be offered 100% after first season but the 16 months is much more realistic representation of the real timescale to 100%.

Turnberry
11th Dec 2014, 10:32
14.5k is if you qualify for ZFT (Zero Flight Time) Training.

In other words, it can all be done on the sim and no expensive aircraft circuits.

UK019
11th Dec 2014, 11:52
To back up Johnny FP’s comments, it’s surely a question of “one man’s meat .. etc etc”

I spent a great 10 years at Jet2, and only left because the law doesn’t allow aged old f*rts to transport the general public. Being completely ‘up front’ I was in pilot management and training there and so you’ll understand that my views will inevitably be coloured by that fact. Nevertheless, it gave me a very good overview of how the company works.

I would venture to suggest that no airline is perfect, and one must take the posts about Jet2 in the context of comments on this forum about other airlines. These are direct cut-and-pastes from PPRuNe:

BA CityFlyer: “Go in with your eyes very much open... Morale at an all time low... mass exodus underway (at last)”

Norwegian Air Shuttle: “Norwegian is disgusting, Speaking as a current Norwegian pilot / former Ryanair pilot. My only advice is to stay away from Norwegian at all cost. Unless that is you enjoy to be terminated with one month notice ..”

Qatar Airways: “The training is generally of a very low standard and it's also fear driven with very little positive feedback or encouragement, parrot fashion regurgitation of the ops manual is encouraged, using your brain to think laterally and solve problems is not. Get used to saying "yes captain I see captain" a lot, even when the guy is an ignorant third world buffoon, they can make your life hell if you disagree with them.”

Ryanair: Where do I start? How about: “Sadly Ryanair do not value experience in the flight deck, nor anywhere else within the company. I have never met such a bunch of morons as the management there.”

I could go on with airline after airline with identical sentiments. I would point out that in each case above there are at least an equal number of posts expressing a precisely opposite opinion. It seems that no airline is lauded by 100% of the workforce, some like where they are and some don’t - and of course there will always be those who permanently sport a face like a slapped bum and will never be satisfied anywhere.

It’s all down to what suits you personally. I know Johnny FP and I think that he speaks honestly, and with the majority voice. For me, Honiley’s view doesn’t match mine by a long way – and let me say that the airline has the lowest twit to good bloke (girl) ratio I’ve ever come across; in 10 years I only encountered one person who I really didn’t like flying with. The current Chief Pilot (now Deputy DFO) is an absolute gent and is honourable and decent, and the training is first-class.

I miss it.

Facelookbovvered
11th Dec 2014, 12:31
I'm sure UK109 is close to the mark, there are good and bad experiences in all airlines, a lot really does come down to personal circumstances and crucially how the roster fits your home life, we would all like zero roster disruption but thats not realistic and in Summer Jet2 are very very busy and delays and changes are a fact of life when working older aircraft very hard. On the positive side winters are a breeze provided your on a 100% contract.:ok:

galwaypilot
11th Dec 2014, 13:34
Agreed... Every where has it's pros and cons! Back onto topic for the people trying to get in. Jet2 can be better and it could be worse. Do what makes you happy :)

Aluminium shuffler
12th Dec 2014, 18:32
16024, now you get it - different deals all over FR. My contract is old enough at 10yrs, and as DEC I havent had to put up with the base transfer shennaingans. It best not to make assumptions about what deal someone has until you have all the facts. I have one of the best line shag contracts in RYR and am well aware of the few benefits we have, but still want to move on. Jet2 offered me a 100% contract right off the bat, and if I could have made the figures work, I'd have taken it because I felt them to be more humane. That is a big issue for some of us.

no sponsor
14th Dec 2014, 18:26
There's nothing humane about Jet2. They are ruthless and will screw you over to save a pound. I've been there and got the t-shirt.

It sounds like roster stability is still as bad as it was five years ago, so there's no reason to think it won't be just as bad in another five years.

heliusac
14th Dec 2014, 18:38
On the positive side winters are a breeze provided your on a 100% contract.:ok:In that case winters are a gale force wind on 70%, only downside is being skint and the wife thinking you have actually been sacked but have neglected to tell her!!!

Honiley
15th Dec 2014, 15:36
As long as word still keeps creeping out about the reality of this gutter airline, then hopefully it will be forced to change, a win for those wishing to join and those employed

Johnny F@rt Pants
15th Dec 2014, 18:06
HON

I would firstly like to reiterate my question as to where you work, still no reply I see.

Secondly, whilst I won't dispute your awareness that 2 pilots intend to resign during this week, I would have to question the motives that you have cited :-

Job security - consistent profit making airline that has, and continues to grow steadily.

Boredom - really puzzled, bored of what exactly? 50 odd routes to a varied and diverse set of destinations, combined with ad hoc charters, so I don't think its that. Sitting at home quite a bit in the winter, perhaps, but having had a busy summer it should be a bit of a relief.

Jet2 will never be able to compete with the likes of BA or the desert, but there appears to be many looking to return from the latter.

Station_Calling
15th Dec 2014, 20:16
... agree with you, and I think there may be a few more resignations to boot.

The only bit I disagree on and agree with Hon on (A first, as I think he is a bitter twisted person who failed J2) is on boredom.

The B757 fleet don't have the diversity, but do have a lot of sitting around in an office all day - not what pilots want to do. It has a big impact.

bluepilot
15th Dec 2014, 20:40
JFP.

Honiley is a frustrated DHL pilot, not happy with his lot there.

I believe he was not successful with the Jet2 selection process on 2010, what is DHLs loss is Jet2's gain!

Station_Calling
15th Dec 2014, 21:00
LSM - really? Not what I hear. They either want to fly or be at home, but not stuck in never never land.

Lord Spandex Masher
15th Dec 2014, 21:28
SC, when the 757 was in NCL there were no complaints;)

I guess it's changed now they're all sitting in Cheese House.

21st Dec 2014, 16:04
best not to make assumptions about what deal someone has until you have all the facts.

Well, no. As this is a thread for people who might want to try to move to J2 from somewhere else, I think they'd be more interested in hearing that 90+ % would be better off than about one guy on a special deal who was still having to weigh it up.

I have no particular axe to grind here.

captplaystation
21st Dec 2014, 20:58
Had (yet another) unsolicited call from that nice lady in Zenon a couple of days ago, asking (maybe because I live in Spain ) if I fancied a job flying the "Classic" in ALC.

Apparently, the contract is now all year round, and "promised" ;) as ongoing, I have heard all the bad news, but, if I wasn't otherwise engaged I would have been open to it, as one devoted to remaining in "Sunny Spain".

Folks for strokes & all that, but, for some at least, this is a little "oasis" totally alien to life in LBA, that may be attractive to some ? (or am I missing sumfink bl**dy obvious ? )

Flying Wild
21st Dec 2014, 21:51
From what I hear, those based down there permanently are enjoying the lifestyle. Not much flying though, but plenty of time sitting at the airport. Maybe a good chance to do an Open University course...

EverHopeful
5th Jan 2015, 12:24
Could anyone who went for assessments in Nov or Dec let me know (either on here or via PM) if you have heard anything yet....just wondering if I'm the only one still waiting.....:bored:

Facelookbovvered
5th Jan 2015, 17:04
You may be the only one still waiting, which is positive for you because i know of 4 who have heard nothing and in the meantime have signed with another 737 operator...............hang in there a good outfit if you do get the call.

seven3heaven
5th Jan 2015, 17:21
Still waiting. Received an update email mid December to say my application is still being considered and that they would be in touch the following week. Nothing since.

taxi_driver
5th Jan 2015, 21:00
Rumours that the Pilot Manager has or is in process of leaving? I don't know if that might be why job offers are slow to go out?

They have made the mistake in previous years of thinking that a big pile of applicants means that there is no rush to recruit. Finding out the hard way when making offers, that crew have already secured jobs elsewhere.

Stabalised737
5th Jan 2015, 22:47
I was interviewed in November and singed my contract a few weeks ago starting in a few months time. My friend also received the good news. Both of us are type rated. I received the same email in mid December saying they would be in contact the next week and received the call and contract exactly a week later.

arctic monkey
13th Jan 2015, 10:59
Is the recruitment process still ongoing or is it finished for the moment?

Callsign Kilo
13th Jan 2015, 13:57
Call and ask, they are an approachable bunch in my experience. There has been offers of 100% contracts to 737 rated bods (both seats) prior to Christmas. They start mid April. You would assume these are the main courses prior to summer; but I'm only speculating.

Wodka
14th Jan 2015, 10:10
Just received my PFO! Luckily had been offered a job elsewhere in the 4 months between applying and today, so this concludes my interest in Jet2 for the foreseeable.

A shame as I really wanted to work for them at one stage, but right now I have no idea what they are looking for! Good luck to the rest to of you still in the 'process' :E

max_drift
14th Jan 2015, 11:37
PFO for me today for non-TR FO (2000TT on TP). Had tried to get bit of inside track on recruitment and was keen for a base in Weegie-town, but made no difference in the end. Can't say I'm surprised given the probable volume of applications and availablity of TR'd folk. Suppose there's maybe next year...

Best of luck to anyone still in the process.

arctic monkey
14th Jan 2015, 13:39
PFO for me today too. Next time maybe. Good luck to those still in the running.

A and C
17th Jan 2015, 09:40
Yesterday I got my annual phone call from an agency that supply's pilots to Jet2.

So from this I gather that they are looking for pilots.

captplaystation
17th Jan 2015, 17:54
Same boat, they were offering ALC base, and said it was "ongoing" rather than "seasonal". . . that was a surprise.

A and C
17th Jan 2015, 19:10
I bet you told the lady the same thing as I did !

You really don't want to spend most of your life at ALC sitting around Jet2's version of the QRA shed.

4Screwaircrew
17th Jan 2015, 20:11
Interesting A and C, the recruitment department is saying that they have all that they require for the year. I watch from a distance these days, it seems to be the best way.

Honiley
17th Jan 2015, 20:28
Many within Low Quality House, Training Department and The Mint very much in a "Jet2 world" of their own, they'll spin what they want out there! The reality is a lucky many leaving for better options and "quality" flight crew options are slim pickings!

Better delve into that Pilot Apprentice pool again!

Ooooo, the "Weekly Presentation"...

bluepilot
18th Jan 2015, 10:41
I believe that Jet2 have just about filled all the perm slots, they always have a bunch of Zenon contractors due to the flexibility this offers for the summer season.

Sean Dillon
20th Jan 2015, 15:01
I was told upto 20 of those Pilot Apprentice Sprogg types joining in 2015! So that's how we're filling all those leavers!? I suppose it fits with the "pound foolish" culture!

How long before the CAA make an enquiry into the experience levels?!? :ugh:

maxed-out
20th Jan 2015, 16:58
Sean Dillon,

That doesn't seem to worry the CAA wrt CTC and Easy!

SR-22
20th Jan 2015, 17:00
PFO received, 4600TTL, rated and current on both B737(3100 hours on type) and B757/767(1000 hours on type) applied for both.

But got a better paid gig months ago

captplaystation
20th Jan 2015, 20:50
(Sounds like) a Lucky Escape !

Sean Dillon
21st Jan 2015, 17:27
Maxed-Out,

easyJet training department is VERY experienced, VERY established and not focussed on "niff-naff and trivia" like Jet2 (because they have no experience levels!)

And I KNOW they don't have the number of (in fact, nobody does!) "Significant Events" that Jet2 does!

Positively driving out/down the experience...

SR-22: Glad you got a better offer, although not that difficult, don't look back - Jet2 is for "losers and locals"

Facelookbovvered
21st Jan 2015, 20:24
Ouch don't hold back say what you mean..............

Station_Calling
21st Jan 2015, 21:32
Sean,

20 Apprentices is less than 5% of the total - not the biggest dilution in reality is it? And some of them are good - very good! If you don't like it, just leave. Or did you fail BA selection?

Burpbot
22nd Jan 2015, 00:37
I respect them for the apprentice system! Giving the newbies a chance to learn the industry and get flying. Much better than just profiteering from the rich kids like most scummy locos, the Orange one included!

May even produce a pilot that can understand the Atc slot system!

Sean Dillon
22nd Jan 2015, 09:19
It was a harsh post I know, but I stand by it, it's a very odd place, although not unsurprising the more you learn and understand about the gentleman at the top, who is still in-control, despite any rumours of having a "back-bench"! Most of the issues unnecessary and it WILL have to change - good, experienced pilots come...and then go, leaving...well...don't want to upset anyone else!

Interesting assumptions from those within like Station_Calling that we are all at this airline because we have "failed" to get out elsewhere! Really doesn't say much about what we all generally think does it?! Something to think about on ASBY eh SC?!

JB007
22nd Jan 2015, 09:24
Advert for 757 Captains & FO's has now appeared!

Mr Good Cat
22nd Jan 2015, 09:51
Where has this advert appeared?

Type-rated only, or NTR invited?

Is it permanent positions or just contract agency stuff?

silverknapper
22nd Jan 2015, 10:51
How long before the CAA make an enquiry into the experience levels?!?

What utter rubbish. If this were the case Ezy would be grounded long ago.

JB007
22nd Jan 2015, 11:19
is it permenant positions or just contract...

As my annual "Jet2/Zenon" email just arrived, sounds like contract or at the VERY best, 70%/50% salary for the first few months and add a 3 year bond if non type rated Big swerve and DELETE!

Mr Good Cat
22nd Jan 2015, 14:06
Ah well, fair enough.

I would need 100% permanent and non-rated.

No go for me.

Thanks for the info.

Station_Calling
22nd Jan 2015, 21:52
Dunno Sean,

too busy flying and being a loser at the moment it would seem. Not saying it was because you failed to get out, more probably you are in because your last airline failed with you in it. Still, never bite the hand that feeds you and pays your mortgage eh?

J2 has its faults, like every other company under the sun and it needs to improve, but just slagging it off publicly from within isn't going to help is it?

Cliff Secord
22nd Jan 2015, 22:07
You sound one bitter angry person "Sean Dillon". I've worked at an overseas operator with a far worse reputation on here than Jet2, far worse. It wasn't as bad as pprune would have you believe. It wasn't great and had faults but still, nice people. No matter which, I would never see myself so twisted and angry as to jump on here and call my own colleagues losers for remaining in employment within a company.

We are all just trying to carve out a groove in life, earn and support families and lifestyles that are in the fringe. Jeez. You must have had some bad crap happen to make you so bitter even towards your cohorts. Pick on the the management but don't :mad: on your fellow soldiers.

Busbo
23rd Jan 2015, 21:42
Sean Dillon. I normally just read in amusment the ongoings on pprune, wondering if its really the same company that I work for that I'm reading about. However your posts show a level of contempt for the company and its staff unusual even for here.

Station Calling did not suggest that we are ALL in this company because we failed to get out, only you. It seems logical that with strength of feeling you clearly have against Jet2 you would have tried to seek employment elsewhere. As it seems all pastures are greener in your eyes, people would be justified in assuming that the pastures turned you down.

As someone happy with my base I can at least sleep easier knowing that I am labelled a local rather than a loser. I'm not quite sure what makes the rest of your colleagues who get the pleasure of your company losers, but I'm obvisouly missing something.

Big Tudor
24th Jan 2015, 09:21
It's when I read posts from the likes of Sean Dillon and Honiley that I realise the first 'P' in the title of this website does not stand for Professional'. :rolleyes:

Vmike
24th Jan 2015, 10:10
I was there from the Channex days and stayed for over 10 years. I really liked it - up until my last year or two. The training was really good, the rosters, while they weren't 5/4 stable, gave plenty of variety and the pay was great. Ops, rostering and engineering were all fine and even the management were good.

The big change came when they pushed out RB as DFO and replaced him with TWE, the biggest mistake PM ever made IMHO.

Almost overnight the atmosphere changed for the worse. Treatment of staff, particularly pilots, went downhill fast and the race to the bottom started.

Just the fact that a hell of a lot of ex-Jet2 pilots are now to be found in Ryanair tells you all you need to know!

It's a shame, it used to be a great company to work for. :ugh:

Callsign Kilo
24th Jan 2015, 11:40
Just the fact that a hell of a lot of ex-Jet2 pilots are now to be found in Ryanair tells you all you need to know!

This comment can be reversed. Plenty of FR drivers from both seats are in Jet2 now. I know numerous who wouldn't look back. Horses for courses I suppose. If you can join FR at the base you want and get over the 'contractor' crap then it's fine. Plenty have joined Jet2 to get away from the BRK/STM debacle and the fact that they are or potentially could be based a million miles from home. I can understand the arguments for joining either airline.

A and C
25th Jan 2015, 09:53
I can understand that ! In all my dealings RB I arrived at the conclusion that he was one of the very best people in the industry.

mach79
30th Jan 2015, 23:52
Never heard anything nice about Jet2 to be honest-full of ex-forces clique apparently who aren't to be trusted even amongst themselves.

finals24
1st Feb 2015, 18:16
Personally I cannot equate to all the negative comments about Jet2. Too many people with axes to grind I think. The Company is not perfect (show me one that is) but there is a genuine effort to improve things and progress. Standards are high (maybe that is some people's problem?) and virtually all the people I meet and fly with are high quality and excellent company from both a personal and professional perspective.
If you don't like it go somewhere else - you spend too long working to be so bitter and twisted!

retrosgone
1st Feb 2015, 18:20
Mach 79. As an ex forces person, who served my country with a pretty fair degree of dedication and loyalty for 25 years, and now working at Jet2, I would like to know how exactly is it that I am not to be trusted? There are a fair number (still a smallish minority) of ex military pilots within Jet2, but I know of no cliques or funny handshakes, and I certainly have not had any preferential treatment as a result of my background or experience. What makes you - apparently an expert judge of people's moral character - able to pronounce so firmly on people you have no direct knowledge of. It is true that we as a group tend to get on with things and not complain a lot - which is not to say we don't maintain standards or question authority. We are just used to being bu####ed around by professionals in the services, so the many annoyances in civil aviation seem somewhat trivial by comparison.Please remember that hiding behind the anonymity of the internet does not entitle you to spout spiteful garbage. I am sure you don't want to be labelled a troll do you?

Sean Dillon
1st Feb 2015, 19:14
The thing is with pilots in Jet2 is they fall into a number of categories:

#Cadets...lots of them! Or have only done Jet2 - Not a problem, but haven't a clue what's good or bad!

#Ex Airforce! Point above totally proved by retro! Haven't a clue what a good airline is!

#First 'Big Jet' - lots of ex BMI Regional who wouldn't have a clue what a quality charter airline is all about!

#Ex Turbo-Prop, first Jet! Most ex Eastern, then to Jet2! Haven't even come close to seeing a good employer yet!

Talk to all those in the crew room who have experienced quality employers/management, all are "it'll do until something else..." Sums up Jet2 to a tee!

So, how many new managers/Directors this week?!?

Lord Spandex Masher
1st Feb 2015, 19:36
Sean you do talk out of your arse. You've missed some categories off your list too.

itsnotwhoyouknow
1st Feb 2015, 19:51
That about sums Jet2 up for me. To the guy on the last page, label me a troll, there are problems with jet2, no doubt about it, but it pays the wages and is good for locality. But, many at the company have had a problem with certain people that can be construed as a clique. I wish it was different but its poisoned in ways.

DADDY-OH!
3rd Feb 2015, 22:59
Yeh, Sean, I'm a Jet2'ie & it suits me. I mean, home every night, paid on time, a package of £95K/yr for <400 hrs/yr ain't too bad a gig after nearly 30 years in the job....

And just for the record, I ain't ex-MIL, ex-Cadet, ex-BMI or any other regional.

I'm me, I've been around & have a little bit of experience & I'm very happy at Jet2, thanks very much

SCINHead
4th Feb 2015, 09:16
I'm ex-mil, and enjoying Jet2. However I'm now a bit worried as no one has invited me to join a clique :hmm:

With mates flying for a lot of different airlines I am under no doubt that our package is not as good as some, but way better than others. My experience on the flight deck has been thoroughly enjoyable, and the guys I have flown with have all had great stories to share and been thoroughly professional.

It takes a fair bit for me to raise my head above the parapet on here - but some of the extreme negative views simply do not chime with my experience. I look forward to flying with our new hires and hearing their stories soon.

Check Mags On
4th Feb 2015, 09:57
Sssssshhhh

The first rule about the Jet2 Clique, is do not talk about the Jet2 Clique.

Sean Dillon
4th Feb 2015, 11:42
ultimately will cause your own downfall when the HR police finally close in...

What a strange comment to make from Scratchingthesky! But there you have it, a wonderful and damning insight into the childish and 'interesting' culture that is Jet2! Thank you Scratchingthesky...and you're a happy one!

JB007
12th Feb 2015, 18:15
Don't the resignation numbers, on both fleets, speak for themselves so far this winter?!?

INeedTheFull90
12th Feb 2015, 19:24
Well there's been quite a bit movement in the industry. Not just LS who have people moving on. With a fleet of 50+ there will always be larger numbers moving on.

Honiley
12th Feb 2015, 20:58
20+ flight crew resignations in 3 months is certainly not normal or good! That never happened in Leipzig! And no Brits left in that little potential "pool" as DADDY-OH so arrogantly tried to start a discussion about 12 months ago! Interesting what those that made the move think now...

Nice update from "The Plog" - said nothing as usual...wet leases an answer to appalling roster management, that's an interesting business decision!!!!

Mr Good Cat
13th Feb 2015, 05:52
Any actual confirmed resignations this month though?

Facelookbovvered
13th Feb 2015, 07:01
There has been a lot of revolving doors this past few months amongst the main 737 operators, the main beneficiaries seem to have been Ryanair who have offered direct employment in your home (where you want to live) base and no Brookfield crap at least for DEC's

The most recent OCC's at FR have had DEC's from NAS/J2

Roster stability or more accurately lack of is the most common complaint about J2 some of the disruption is off the back of aircraft reliability, but most is poor planning, so unless you live close to a J2 base most find commuting very difficult.

How long FR's charm offensive keeps up is anyones guess.

After NAS botched winter crew reductions and forced base changes a few have voted with their feet, mainly to FR, yesterday's reported €100m+ loss at NAS won't help either.

I have already had several Zenon e mails about J2 Summer contract this past 10 days, hmmmm should i consider the red n silver room of pain?? in the end all will screw you

goaroundnow
13th Feb 2015, 11:59
It's really not that bad here and Honiley paints a ludicrously inaccurate picture.

As with most "review" sites, the people that take the time to comment have normally had a "bad" experience and the disproportionate number of poor-rated contributions do not reflect the real picture - PPRUNE seems to be no different (in this respect).

Penworth
13th Feb 2015, 13:07
I agree with goaroundnow. The negativity seen on pprune re jet2 is far worse than that that I've experienced on the line. I've worked for another major uk airline so do have a baseline with which to compare jet2 to. While there are issues, notably with rostering, it's generally a nice place to work. Friendly crews, almost always 2 sector days, and about 750 hours per year (a lot less if you're on the 757). The vitriol on here really does surprise me and is just not necessary. We should be wanting all uk airlines to be successful and expanding. I just don't get why people waste all their energy being negative, it's just not worth it - if you don't like something, just ignore it (or in the case of those working for Jet2, apply somewhere better).

taxi_driver
14th Feb 2015, 14:14
There is a High court hearing soon between J2 and Balpa regarding "rostering". If they really are losing a lot of crew and roster patterns/lifestyle are part of the issue, it all seems a bit odd.

Balpa maintain that this is part of Pay, Working Hours, and Holidays scope, and the company should negotiate with it about pilots rosters. J2 disagree and a High court hearing will decide the matter.

12 employment cases for 2015- Publications - Eversheds International (http://www.eversheds.com/global/en/what/articles/index.page?ArticleID=en/Employment_and_labour_law/The_12_employment_cases_for_2015)

Aluminium shuffler
14th Feb 2015, 17:35
Kilo, I agree - it's not just the 5/4 they're screwing about with (shifting some folks' patter back and forth or implementing 5/3 in any base that doesn't ask how high when they say jump), but bases - at least 15 bases have pilots (permanent staff, not just contractors) being sent to other bases repeatedly for a week at a time, principally STN and DUB (but not exclusively). They say it's a one-off for this winter, but every time they they try something of this nature and get away with it, it becomes the norm. My bet is that it's a gradual move to doing away with base allocations entirely and they'll move people around at their whim.

So, J2 guys, be glad you just have rostering issues!

Flying Wild
14th Feb 2015, 18:46
Jet2 seem to be very adversarial towards their crew, both flight deck and cabin. We're seen as an expensive necessity. We are literally Human Resources to be used and abused. Turnover isn't high just at the coal face, but in the back office too, meaning you have a spotty youngster telling a grizzled skipper the way of the world. You can imagine how that goes down!
Jet2 could do themselves a world of good by actually listening to and dealing with their crew in an adult and professional manner.

LNIDA
16th Feb 2015, 08:01
From what i have heard from a good few J2 crew there is zero chance of that happening anytime soon, comes from working for someone who is regarded as a rude foul mouthed MOL wannabe, least MOL is funny with it!!

captplaystation
16th Feb 2015, 11:53
LNIDA, "rude foul mouthed MOL wannabe" From what I have heard about NPU negotiations in the past , that accusation could probably be applied to someone "closer to home" for us :} (looks like the same head of teeth here ! )

Mr Good Cat
14th Mar 2015, 08:44
Any updates on Jet2's plans for permanent positions? Is it only temp contract crew until next season?

Stabalised737
14th Mar 2015, 10:25
From what I have heard and experienced , most of the guys that are joining or have joined in the last six months have all been offered a permanent 100% contract. I'm starting soon and can't actually wait. Having just done a tour of the Middle East airlines over the last few weeks , Jet2 seems like my best option for me to make the most of a working life balance. Being at my home base , a reasonable package and more importantly being able to see my kids grow up and walk the dog. Whilst all my friends at the yellow harp are off to Emirates and such , Jet2 for me offer the perfect package five minutes from my house.

bluepilot
14th Mar 2015, 10:30
Trading Statement
Fri, 13th Mar 2015 07:00
RNS Number : 3374H
Dart Group PLC
13 March 2015

13 March 2015

Dart Group PLC ("the Group")

Trading Statement 13 March 2015

Dart Group PLC, the Leisure Travel and Distribution & Logistics group, is pleased to give the following update on trading.

The Board believes that Group underlying operating profit(1) for the year ending 31 March 2015 will be ahead of current market expectations and broadly in line with last year (2014: £49.2m), as a result of lower than anticipated winter losses.

Looking ahead to the year ending 31 March 2016, forward bookings in the Leisure Travel business for summer 2015 are encouraging, with over 50% of the season having already been sold, which is ahead of where we were at this stage last year.

The Distribution & Logistics business, Fowler Welch, continues to focus on growing its revenue pipeline and developing existing and new business opportunities.

The Group intends to further develop and grow its businesses and expects further progress in the year ending 31 March 2016.

A and C
14th Mar 2015, 11:06
While being a bit of a volatile character when the heat is taken out of the situation you will find him a great deal more resonable than you would think by reading these pages.

In my experience if you are in the right if you stand up to him he will respect you for it and not hold a grudge.

LNIDA
14th Mar 2015, 20:52
No not met the man.

But have heard enough stories from crew that been bawled out for running the APU & seem to recall an incident in MAN again bawling out sub contracted employee's that resulted in the Police been called.

But no doubt he is a very reasonable man when/if you can stand up to him

fa2fi
29th Apr 2015, 21:32
So to resurrect this old thread but any chance of NTR recruitment recruitment any time soon?

B737900er
30th Apr 2015, 15:07
Next recruitment will be for Airbus I believe :}

qwertyuiop
30th Apr 2015, 17:32
If Jet 2 are going Airbus, given some clever timing, they can recruit all the Monarch pilots and Monarch can recruit all the Jet 2 bods.

Mr Good Cat
30th Apr 2015, 17:50
Recruitment for NTR will most likely start in the autumn ready for the 2016 summer season I would say.

They're still looking for short-term contract guys with ratings via Zenon.

squarecrow
1st May 2015, 05:07
I read Jet2 had applied to wet lease an A330 late last year from Malaysia,
Air Asia X I guess.

mini-jumbo
1st May 2015, 11:07
@squarecrow - Correct, they were, but it got canned.

@B737900er - One of many rumours. Perhaps the 3rd weekend in June will yield some answers

@fa2fi - As Mr Good Cat says, most definitely autumn for recruitment to open again. The last 2 courses from this years recruitment are running just now.

fa2fi
1st May 2015, 11:22
Thanks for the updates.

B737900er
1st May 2015, 16:25
Mini-Jumbo

An Airbus representative told me personally its a go, but then again if Boeing pull through it might get canned.

galwaypilot
1st May 2015, 19:22
How many are jet2 likely order?!

max_drift
21st May 2015, 12:34
I see PPJN is reporting details of the Airbus order and the BBC are carrying a story of Edinburgh expansion for summer 2016.

Does anybody know where the 'buses are going? Is non-TR recruitment likely to any fleet?

Pretty much my career dream now. I love my TP job, but not enough for another 30+ years of it and given the choice I'm approaching the stage of selling my granny for the Jet2 gig! (Me and almost every other TP pilot who doesn't want to move south, I know...)

Lord Spandex Masher
21st May 2015, 17:19
There is no order.

HeartyMeatballs
5th Jul 2015, 17:18
Looks like NTR recruitment is included in their latest recruitment drive. Anyone know if your are bonded or is it a SSTR? Anyone know how their NCL or LBA bases are fairing these days?

greenedgejet
5th Jul 2015, 18:23
If you have sufficient experience then traditional bond for B737.

Not the highest payers in the industry but not the worst and they seem to appreciate folk with good grounding in flying like ex-mil and TP operators unlike competitors with their woefully paid subcontracted out cadet schemes.

HeartyMeatballs
5th Jul 2015, 18:51
Thanks for the reply. I have looked at PPJN and if the figures are correct then I could quite happily live with it. It's less than what I earn now but if I get a home base I'll be quids in anyway as I'll be saving £600-£700 a month is commuting and accommodation.

Update to say PPJN now show it to be a three year bond.

gorter
6th Jul 2015, 07:24
Don't forget to factor in the half pay during training and the likelihood that you will be stuck on a 70% contract for your first year/s and any "best endeavours" to put you on a 100% contract are pretty meaningless

Lord Spandex Masher
6th Jul 2015, 08:38
Actually the likelihood is a 100% contract these days.

But, hey, never let the facts get in the way of your bias.

Narrow Runway
6th Jul 2015, 09:21
Actually, I think you are displaying significant bias Lord Spandex Masher.

As someone who expressed an interest in jet2.com, I attended selection in late 2013. I passed day 1 as a NTR DEC. They asked me if I would be interested in 757, I said yes. Then what happened was a ridiculous dance around being able to organise a sim slot. Then it all went dead. I withdrew my interest.

I decided to consider it again in late 2014. I was asked to come back and do all those tests again - and it was pointed out that I would be a NCL recruit on a 70% contract. I declined to attend.

An experienced, current UK based captain. 70% and a family move?

Dream on.

Sean Dillon
6th Jul 2015, 09:53
Beware the Reverend Meeson Coolaid Drinkers on here! Totally deluded!

Plan on 3-4 months on 50% salary, maybe more with the folk leaving. Over 100 pilots leaving in 8 months is not down to basing, that's "internal spin "Take Me There" utter rubbish - ask more questions and try to find a few opinions of working for this company.

With regards its financial state, the turnover is a massive amount of money through the company, the profit compared to it, is embarrassingly small! The bank balance reserves is only £200m, forward holiday bookings and ABTA insurance! No great cash reserves!

The business model got them started over 10 years ago, cargo-thinking - old aircraft, minimum hours! It's now completely trapped in a corner with no money for new airframes and still a seasonal flying program! Ask most of the non-Coolaid drinkers with a background of good employers, most if not all, will confirm it simply can't continue! I would suggest will probably be sold at some point, it's far too temporary with little infrastructure!

Think carefully, to be at home is great - to work for Jet2 is not! It's the worst of everything you will ever encounter in the UK aviation market...over 100 pilots have left.....!!!!!

Good luck!

speedrestriction
6th Jul 2015, 10:25
Good post Sean,

To me it seems that there is no prospect of the company generating enough profit to perform a re-fleet with new airframes. The seasonality is the biggest brake on the company being able to move forward and the eventual rise in crude oil prices will hammer it's summer profitability given the fleet age.

Short term there is no reason why it won't remain a modestly profitable airline but If I were an investor, I would have questions over how it is going to ensure it will still be trading in 15 years time.

SR

Lord Spandex Masher
6th Jul 2015, 12:38
Actually, I think you are displaying significant bias Lord Spandex Masher.

As someone who expressed an interest in jet2.com, I attended selection in late 2013. I passed day 1 as a NTR DEC. They asked me if I would be interested in 757, I said yes. Then what happened was a ridiculous dance around being able to organise a sim slot. Then it all went dead. I withdrew my interest.

I decided to consider it again in late 2014. I was asked to come back and do all those tests again - and it was pointed out that I would be a NCL recruit on a 70% contract. I declined to attend.

An experienced, current UK based captain. 70% and a family move?

Dream on.
Strange. As an experienced, current UK based captain I was offered and given a 100% contract - as was everyone else on my course.

This year the majority of new starters are on a 100% contract. That's a fact not a delusion or bias by the way.

Perhaps the selection process works huh?

Sean Dillon
6th Jul 2015, 13:59
This year the majority of new starters are on a 100% contract. That's a fact not a delusion or bias by the way

I think that's also called desperation! With its present business model, I'm sure they would have offered 70% if they could get people - which they no longer can!

There is a "Brick-Wall" approaching!

Paddingtons wellies
6th Jul 2015, 14:25
Sean Dillon - is that the brick wall BA have also hit??? They are struggling with numbers as well?

I grant you some good people are currently leaving, but we are also managing to get rid of a fair few of the whingers and whiners to BA!!

As an aside actually look at the Dart Group accounts, look at the net cash position statement, that reflects around 10% margin. A target Willie Walsh has set for IAG. The 'profit' figure may be nearer the 4% mark, but the one that counts and keeps the doors open is the net cash position.

And no, I don't drink coolaid.

Lord Spandex Masher
6th Jul 2015, 14:38
I think that's also called desperation! With its present business model, I'm sure they would have offered 70% if they could get people - which they no longer can!

I think it's called business.

Strangely you appear to be unhappy that most people are getting 100% contracts now whilst you've previosuly derided the company's employment practices.

How's the M25 and your commute?

Jet2_320
6th Jul 2015, 18:51
Lord Spandex Masher I appreciate being in a lower management role within Jet2 you have to tell the company line. Hence why your views might slightly differ from us, the normal line pilots.

For all the new guys joining us, after a few years when the shine wears off, when your realise a 6on2off roster doesn't work for your private life, when flying maximum hours in the summer and you have to arrange last minute childcare because of the 10th last minute roster change within the week, when you get another empty promise from the mint and you have been grounded again for something which wouldn't even justify an ASR in any other airline. That is when you appreciate why so many pilots are leaving.

It's nice to hear you are enjoying Jet2 and for sure your view is shared by all the new joiners. We do have great people indeed to work with on a day to day basis. However somebody in your position must understand with so many people leaving, as Sean Dillon says, something must be fundamentally wrong.

Narrow Runway; Reading the latest PLOG (pilots newsletter) from the 73 new pilots recruited a fair amount got offered 70% contracts this year.

Wodka
6th Jul 2015, 23:21
Wow how time flies - is it already time for another silly season of... Apply, hear nothing for months, receive a cryptic email around November to tell you how lucky you are to still be in the running before the glorious Feb PFO!

Nah, I'll give it a miss this year thanks

gorter
7th Jul 2015, 00:01
A 70% contract is 100% summer and then get lost for a few months in the winter paid 70% of a full time salary all year round (except for during training when it's 50% of 70%). For those very few that do it, commuting is a struggle on any fleet.

Lord Spandex Masher
7th Jul 2015, 06:39
Narrow Runway; Reading the latest PLOG (pilots newsletter) from the 73 new pilots recruited a fair amount got offered 70% contracts this year.

Yep, 61 permanent contracts out of 73 new pilots. That's about 84%. Some of can actually read and comprehend.

The rest of your post is similarly inaccurate.

Lord Spandex Masher
7th Jul 2015, 07:38
I'm sure you're more than capable of working it out for yourself even though I missed out an 'us'?

The rest is just simple mathematics. Do you need me to explain that for you as well?

taxi_driver
7th Jul 2015, 09:28
This mob remind me of Orion, the hybrid charter tour operator come scheduled carrier from the 80's.

After a steady period of growth and modest success they reached critical mass. Wild fire rumours of bigger better aircraft, a couple of big airbus pitched up. Within two years they were taken over by Brittania.

Honest Fr@nk
7th Jul 2015, 09:40
Children children....My train set is better than your train set!! My trains are better than your trains!! I can play with my trains more often you you can!! Ner ner ner ner ner. Choose the train set you want to go and play with and go and play with it! If it wasn't as good as the picture on the box then go play with another. Simple.

Prophead
7th Jul 2015, 09:50
Exactly, this airline would suit me for many reasons. I could live where I want to be based and have a skill from a previous career I could use if I was not flying through the winter.

As for rosters etc. you should see what I work now in a non flying job.

I will be applying.

Sean Dillon
7th Jul 2015, 11:10
The Legend that is Honest Frank - when he was in the Training Department, Jet2 was worth working for...

tonker
7th Jul 2015, 11:12
The problem is, there are simply much better deals out there now.

I've been here a decade and like everywhere, the company does some things brilliantly, some not so much. I've had more roster changes this year, than in the previous 9.

The Easyjet captain coming the other way is on about £1,300 per month net more than I, has staff travel, a pension worth £900 per month more, crew meals, newer aircraft and a better uniform policy. All from a company that's 4 times bigger, but makes 10 times the profit.

Virtually all those I know who have left, were northerners either going to Ryanair or BA, but were intending on staying in the north. This isn't so much of a southerners exodus as it once was.

If things don't change rapidly on the T&Cs front I think they will struggle next year, and do feel the management recognise this and will subsequently react. I just hope on so many levels they do it properly and promptly for so many reasons.

This is a good company to work for, but with some fairly obvious changes and some small tweaks could be a great company.

DjerbaDevil
7th Jul 2015, 12:12
This mob remind me of Orion, the hybrid charter tour operator come scheduled carrier from the 80's.

After a steady period of growth and modest success they reached critical mass. Wild fire rumours of bigger better aircraft, a couple of big airbus pitched up. Within two years they were taken over by Brittania.

Horizon Travel, Holiday Tour Operator, created Orion, their in-house airline. Both traded very successfully and were eventually sold to the Thomson Travel Group, who own their own in-house airline, Britannia, all of which is now owned by TUI.

The JET2 "mob" are as successful as the foregoing companies, acccording to their published public company accounts. Furthermore JET2 did not lay off 100+ pilots in the last economic crisis, as did Thomson/Britannia.

gorter
7th Jul 2015, 13:50
As successful or not that jet2 are, if people don't want to work for you you're doing something very wrong. 15%+ attrition is not sustainable for any employee group, particularly one that has such long lead in times as pilots. As management well know people leaving now have wanted out for a very long time. Jet2 lost them last year or even earlier. No amount of tinkering will change the minds of anyone who has decided they want to out.

6 on 2 off and hitting every single limit of cap 371 as several of my friends who are still there (but are also waiting to hand in their notice) are doing will not help that situation.

People working in the cargo bases have always been slightly protected because the Royal Mail business was the holy sacred cash cow that could not be late or disrupted. Historically they have always been over crewed and generously rostered with a very light programme. With the reduction of the first class mail guarantee and a fully privatised business, how long do you think the mail will be willing to pay 10 times rail or road fare for a first class letter?

That's when the seasonality of the business and jet2's incapability of securing any significant winter business will really bite. Coupled with new expensive aircraft. Good luck chaps and chapesses.

Big Tudor
7th Jul 2015, 14:42
hitting every single limit of cap 371
A Jet2 pilot has hit 900 hours in 12 months? That's gotta be some achievement!!

gorter
7th Jul 2015, 15:55
Ok mea culpa. That's the only one missing. But again that's because of the company's inability to find winter work.

JB007
7th Jul 2015, 19:04
As an upside to all of this and the possible potential for a company to evolve, if they "grow up" and remove the OAP at the top who clearly knows nothing else, for those that wish to stick out the bad times, it could all come very right for T&C's IF LFFH changes its tack!?!

Just a thought!

Big Tudor
7th Jul 2015, 19:23
Ok mea culpa. That's the only one missing. But again that's because of the company's inability to find winter work.
The 'only one' gorter? You now saying LS pilots are operating to max FDP on each duty with min rest between and are hitting the 14 day, 28 day and 12 month duty hour limits as well? Or do you mean they are knocking on the door of 100 block hours in 28 days? Pretty sure there will be TOM, TCX, MON pilots who will be on similar hours (there certainly was when I was there in the 'good' old days).

Mr Angry from Purley
7th Jul 2015, 20:18
Horizon Travel, Holiday Tour Operator, created Orion, their in-house airline. Both traded very successfully and were eventually sold to the Thomson Travel Group, who own their own in-house airline, Britannia, all of which is now owned by TUI.

O the good old days report for duty, take the handover and go down the flying club for a few sherberts and oggle at the DAD's (Dan Air Dogs * a well known group of crew on temp assignment to EMA * non PC statement, nice bunch of lasses really).
Crews worked hard, played hard, none of this us and them bollixs, never heard the F word once. None of the it's all about me moaning Nigels (sorry Giggler) O I've had my roster changed 3 times in the last hour (the curse perhaps of e-crew access to rosters, in the old days the rosters changed just as much just the crews never knew it!!)
Somebody transport me back there please. Now days its all too much like hard work...:\:\

JB007
7th Jul 2015, 20:49
It's ok, Dani will tell you I've never forgotten my roots! Will never say 'no'!