PDA

View Full Version : Thomson recruitment.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Toast30
21st Mar 2016, 14:48
The 7k in year 1 is taken before tax in the same way pension contributions are so you get some tax relief on it. It also won't make any difference to your gross P60 figure, just your net take home.
If you do a full year on PPY then expect around £55k gross. That's what I did. I am now full time and it's significantly higher. I only did one year on PPY.

Deano777
21st Mar 2016, 15:35
Toast30, so did Thomson cancel your PPY50 then? We were told that ours would remain in status but full time could be offered as and when they need it. Our year 1 is full time leaving just 4 years to do at 81%.

Bravo Zulu
21st Mar 2016, 15:59
Just to aid anyone's "fag packet calcs" if you are thinking of applying (whilst we're on the topic)

My year one PPY gross was 60k
year two full time gross 73k

Toast30
21st Mar 2016, 16:02
Sorry perhaps I was unclear. First year I completed a full year on PPY. My second year was full time because I took a winter detachment. Those that didn't take the detachment in winter 15/16 were offered winter work anyway and subsequently full time. So some people never actually did any time on PPY, some like me did 1 year. I suspect those figures quoted earlier are full time figures.

xollob
21st Mar 2016, 17:06
... Also unlike other airlines no fear factor of making a mistake, being delayed etc.. We have a very just culture and are treated like professionals.

The professional comment is debatable, all depends on your bench mark :)

eaglescout
22nd Mar 2016, 00:52
Hello all,
I have applied to Thomson in hope of a shot at my first jet job. Been flying since 2004 when I obtained my PPL, decided to have a go at commercial via modular route in 2006 which took me till 2011 when I achieved my MCC. Been a instructor , ferry pilot , corporate pilot on MEP to a British baronet, took the attitude fly anything, anywhere, anytime and this year completed my B737 TR. I am keeping current by volunteering as pilot monitoring for LST and LPC in the sim. I have 2500tt about 70hrs in level d 737-8 sim am I in with a chance or dreaming ............ Thanks for replies and advice in advance.

Matey
23rd Mar 2016, 00:25
Just by way of a personal observation, without wishing to enter into the debate around the rights or wrongs of current TOM recruitment terms other than to say that they have proved to be rather more flexible than what recent joiners have signed up too....I have never regretted for one moment joining the Company more than 30 years ago. The aircraft are well maintained with very few deferred defects, the routes are varied and the pay is good and reliable. Add into that the other benefits such as loss of licence, share scheme, private healthcare, death in service benefit, Thomson holiday discount scheme etc, and thanks to the constant efforts of the BALPA Company Council the overall package is hard to beat in the UK. Many pilots who have only recently joined are now flying long haul on the B787, so a varied operating lifestyle is available. Add to that quality training and excellent colleagues it is not hard to see why in recent years, without exception, all the recent joiners I have come into contact with either in a training environment or on the line have no regrets about joining. Yes the roster can be fairly punishing during the peak months, but no worse, I suspect, than at other comparable operators. The Company Council are engaged in a continuous dialogue over innumerable issues with the Company, and some outcomes such as pension contribution rates are not ideal, but overall they achieve a great deal in mitigating the more zealous ambitions of the management.

No I am not a management pilot, just someone who has had a long and varied career with this Company and who would encourage anyone thinking of joining to look beyond initial financial considerations and play the "long game."

Iver
23rd Mar 2016, 18:50
Like BA, Thomson offer both shortish/medium haul and long haul options. It is always nice to have that choice.

Questions: what is the seat-lock time for those who change from 737 to 757/767 or 787? Also, when will we start seeing the MAX arrive?

Matey
23rd Mar 2016, 22:56
Type freeze only applies to new pilots joining the Company and is for 3 years from the date of joining the Thomson seniority list. Other than that no freezes, and there have been many cases of pilots "flip flopping" from one type to another and back again to satisfy seasonal imbalances. The MAX is scheduled to begin arriving in 2018 I believe, gradually replacing the 757 and then NG fleets.
There is also the (rather tortuous) introduction of "One Aviation" within the group airlines across Europe. This has suffered delays, but already pilots from the UK fly services from Scandinavia regularly on long haul routes, and there are winter detachments to Sunwing in Canada flying mainly down to the Caribbean and Mexico on the 737. This has been a source of continued employment year round for the recent PPY joiners.

BShute
25th Mar 2016, 11:15
Hello,
Just looking for some advice on whether or not you feel I should get an application in.

I currently work for a well known Q400 operator in the UK, I'm sitting at about 700 hours total with around 400 on type. I know the falls short of the 1000 total time, and 500 on a turboprop/jet, but By October, which i believe it says the positions will be for,I will certainly meet this requirement.

Do you think applying now is a quick way to get myself to the bottom of the pile with a 12 months freeze on applying again, or do you think its worth a shot if I explain in a covering letter etc?

Regards,
B

Matey
25th Mar 2016, 23:37
The vacancies have been significantly oversubscribed in the past with the result that criteria have been stringently applied. What, however, have you got to lose by applying other than the time required to complete the application? Changes to the numbers required has also led to the application list being revisited at a later stage, by which time you would have met the requirements.

beamer
29th Mar 2016, 09:44
BShute

Don't ask - don't get, so get your application into the system. Thomson need a lot of pilots and there are other options out there for experienced pilots so finding the right numbers is not going to be so easy. You may be very inexperienced but the training system is good.

McBruce
29th Mar 2016, 23:47
I would certainly echo the above. I done the same when applying to airlines in the past with borderline experience.

As for working with TOM, it's a great place to work. Fantastic all around, it has its niggles but show me a place which doesn't. The negatives are wildly discussed and mostly on the financial side with OCC/Type costs. That being said I surprisingly made more than I expected including year one, the figures discussed above are accurate for myself too. On paper it looks poor, that's the guranateed return, but in reality most have been surprised with the additionals. It's a great gig overall and I'm glad I made the switch.

BWSBoy6
30th Mar 2016, 00:16
I've got my fingers crossed but not too hopeful. I've applied with a frozen ATPL and very low hours. Ground school was avg 85% so middling but managed a great MCC/JOC and passed CPL and IR first time. Not sure if they'll even give me a glance but sounds like a good outfit to work for.

Stable500
3rd Apr 2016, 08:58
I have an application in but just wondering what you guys think about the assessment days being spread over only four days? It's too late in my current employment to guarantee these days off, or even request them for that matter, so should I really just be accepting that although I may get called to interview I may not be able to make it and that's the end of it?

Boeing 7E7
4th Apr 2016, 19:59
Perhaps, Stable500 you'll find that you were sick a bit more than you normally are that month which, oddly enough allowed you to go to the assessment days...

Harry palmer
13th Apr 2016, 09:45
Has anyone been invited to the assessment day yet?

SpannerInTheWerks
17th Apr 2016, 18:16
Has anyone been invited to the assessment day yet?

I presume you haven't received the e-mail from HR that was sent out at the end of March by all accounts?

Intheclouds
19th Apr 2016, 20:02
What was the email regarding?

SpannerInTheWerks
19th Apr 2016, 21:17
Apparently it stated that Thomson were no longer accepting applications and that the roles were now closed.

The rest of the e-mail set out the timescales for the screening of applications, assessment days and sim sessions.

It seems the whole process will be completed by the end of May.

The Cleaner
20th Apr 2016, 10:21
Email said invites to assessment would be w/c 18th i.e this week. Take it no ones got a call yet, or willing to say so??

Harry palmer
20th Apr 2016, 10:32
Nothing heard! As you say the week commencing the 18th was a hear by so a bit tight. May be heavy work sorting the applications. Would imagine there was a good level of interest.

All the best

321abc
20th Apr 2016, 12:19
Am I correct in believing that the TR assessment does not include a sim check?
Any one that has been to one recently, a PM with some info on the day would be highly appreciated.
Also, anyone with experience/knowledge with regards to leaving a large irish airline and making the change.
Thanks a lot

Harry palmer
20th Apr 2016, 13:06
Do you have an assessment date?

The Cleaner
20th Apr 2016, 13:15
So, have you been invited to assessment 321??

Harry palmer
20th Apr 2016, 14:11
Hope its not PFO Friday then! :-(

The Cleaner
20th Apr 2016, 14:30
Shan't be holding breath by the sounds of it :-(

Harry palmer
20th Apr 2016, 15:24
Feeling the same mate? Thought a few mat have piped up If assessments had been offered.

stella di mare
20th Apr 2016, 16:11
I've received a confirmation this afternoon.

Harry palmer
20th Apr 2016, 16:21
Nice one. Are you Rated or Non Rated?

321abc
20th Apr 2016, 17:54
I also have for end of May, type rated

The Cleaner
20th Apr 2016, 21:52
Got an invite to assessment! 1500 hrs NTR. Should've been more patient

Harry palmer
21st Apr 2016, 07:25
Still nothing :-( 3000 hours NTR

micky771
21st Apr 2016, 08:17
8500 Hours NTR still nothing

Harry palmer
21st Apr 2016, 08:38
PFO! 3000 jet NTR.

highjinx77
21st Apr 2016, 17:08
Any info on the technical test for the interview?

Stable500
21st Apr 2016, 17:24
I would like to echo the above for any advice on the technical assessment. I would really appreciate a point in the area of topics to cover. The ATPL syllabus is a big one to cover everything!

Deano777
22nd Apr 2016, 06:52
The test is nothing to fear. If you are in current airline flying then you'll have no issues at all. It's multiple choice and dare I say it, even quite relevant, as is the whole process with Thomson, which cannot be said about a certain "cruise ship group exercise" with a UK major.
Know your Thomson stuff as there's a couple of questions in there about that, and know your aircraft variants inside out. None of it is tough so I wouldn't bother reading your 14 ATPL subjects from cover to cover.

fagolo
24th Apr 2016, 09:01
Type rated with 400h 737. Declined

micky771
24th Apr 2016, 14:12
8500h NTR PFO

chinny
27th Apr 2016, 19:30
Hi all.

Bit of clarification please after reading most of previous posts.

PPY? presume part time contract.
7k? deduction even if type rated? how do they justify that?
assessment day? tech quiz info-can any body elaborate a bit more on DEANO777's info please.
no sim assessment for TR?

thanks for any and all help

DooblerChina
27th Apr 2016, 21:15
PPY = permanent part year (although max 5 year and now everyone who joined before last month can now bid for full time on the 787 due to significant expansion on that fleet and lack of volunteers)

7k is for line training, unjustifiable to most but it is what it is.

Can't comment on the recruitment process.

hope that helps.

Deano777
27th Apr 2016, 23:50
chinny, why does my post need elaborating on? Are you expecting someone to give you all the questions? There's nothing to elaborate on, it really is how I've described it and if you are in current airline flying and you can't pass the tech quiz then you shouldn't even have a license, let alone be near an aircraft full of passengers.

chinny
28th Apr 2016, 06:45
DooblerChina-thanks very much for that.

Deano- no i don't want the questions and answers and i agree with you.however, i also want to collate as much info as i can-failure to prepare is preparation to fail!!

dum dum pacheco
29th Apr 2016, 15:46
Which is the reapplying policy? How long to wait?
Thanks

Alexgv1
23rd May 2016, 17:10
12 months and you have to reapply from fresh.

six-sixty
23rd May 2016, 18:42
The test is nothing to fear. If you are in current airline flying then you'll have no issues at all. It's multiple choice and dare I say it, even quite relevant, as is the whole process with Thomson

I've no dog in this fight whatsoever, but I've certainly heard different feedback from that! Here's an example, if the formula for VAquaplaning is something I should be using day to day and not have to look up then I'm certainly not in the right job.

Deano777
23rd May 2016, 21:24
Yeah but you're taking it too literally. I'm talking about the whole process - generally speaking. If you want to pull apart everything to the nth degree then yes you'll find bits that questions the veracity of my statement.

xollob
24th May 2016, 17:08
Which is the reapplying policy? How long to wait?
Thanks

You never know, in that time they may have got rid of the £7000 bond etc, could be a blessing in disguise.

Pin Head
25th May 2016, 07:15
If not successful this time I believe that the future looks relatively bright here after ten years of limited movement. The command review board are looking at guys who joined in 2005 now, so that just over ten years for a command. That with the maybe an increasing number of departures at the top end due pension cap of £1million and enough is enough may create opportunities.

Thoughts people?

Mr Angry from Purley
30th May 2016, 19:45
Pension cap of a million and enough is enough sounds almost contradicting !
Give me a million and I'd be happy with any enough is enough . what's the difference between a pilot and a jet engine springs to mind....

The Mixmaster
31st May 2016, 11:28
Try planning your future without a pension cap and then having to factor it in. Reflecting on your comments, the phrase ignorance is bliss springs to mind.

MackTucker
7th Jun 2016, 10:13
What is the current time to 787 at Thomson?

Bravo Zulu
8th Jun 2016, 06:02
I believe it to be less than 3 months from joining to a confirmed bid onto 78.

Matey
8th Jun 2016, 22:43
The most junior pilot to succesfully bid for the 787 joined Thomson in March 2013

Bravo Zulu
9th Jun 2016, 17:04
I think you mean joined in 2016 Matey?

EPRman
9th Jun 2016, 18:48
The most junior pilot to successfully bid onto the 787 joined at the end of February this year.

There is persistent talk of the possible need to recruit externally onto the 787. Make of that what you will.

Matey
9th Jun 2016, 22:46
I stand corrected and suitably humbled. :)

Iver
10th Jun 2016, 02:16
The most junior pilot to successfully bid onto the 787 joined at the end of February this year.

There is persistent talk of the possible need to recruit externally onto the 787. Make of that what you will.

Can someone elaborate as to what might cause this? Are the 787 routes/schedules objectionable? Are we talking about 5-6 flights per month to Sanford, Cancun, Barbados, Punta Cana or Male? For those of us who don't have the option to fly Dreamliners to hot, sandy beaches, any insight/opinions would be appreciated...

PMs also welcome.

Smudge's Lot
10th Jun 2016, 07:00
it's just the first Captains on the fleet are now rapidly approaching retirement, the first F/Os on it are all getting their commands on the 737, the fleet expands by 1 this year, 1 next year and another in 2018, and the lifestyle doesn't suit everyone, those with young famillies appreciate being home every night, and currently, the 787 is ONLY based at MAN and LGW so if you are not based at those 2 bases, you will not get on it. And believe me, we have tried, but the Co only want 787 pilots based at MAN and LGW.
I don't believe it's a negative lifestyle (my own personal opinion), it's not that people are leaving it in droves, just a requirement for more pilots!!!!

EPRman
10th Jun 2016, 10:00
Iver,

For many it's a lifestyle issue. And long haul flying is mind-numbingly boring!

Regards.

Pin Head
10th Jun 2016, 11:23
It's great for the first six months.

hec7or
10th Jun 2016, 18:12
It's great for the first six hours.......

oceanhawk
11th Jun 2016, 13:13
Smudge sums it up in part. The fact that the 787 has gone down to the bottom of our seniority list speaks volumes . Make of it what you will.

Iver
11th Jun 2016, 17:19
At least your airline offers a choice of longhaul vs short haul. After a few years traveling the long, boring oceans to sunny beaches go back to busy intra-Europe flying.

coalencanth
12th Jun 2016, 15:07
Iver having seen your posts for a number of years, you seem to have a considerable case of 'shiny jet syndrome' - although I'm not part of Thomson I know the lifestyle well, and I know the outfit has much more to offer than Dreamliners. It's fair to say for many of the boys and girls it isn't their main motivation for joining and some of the above posters have given you some very good reasons why not!

Matey
12th Jun 2016, 22:09
Indeed, the variety of flying at TOM is a great advantage. The 757/767 fleet was great with a mixture of short and long haul flying. The 787 was introduced as a purely long haul aircraft, but is already going the same way with short haul flights as well. True, you have to be at a "787 base," ie LGW or MAN, but many have gone for a commuting life, being based at one of the two, but continuing to live near their previous base. The introduction of short haul to the fleet has put something of a spanner in the works for them, as commuting was achievable on a long haul roster, but more complicated with short haul in the mix. Personally, after many years of flying long haul on the 767, I elected to pass on the 787 to return to the 737 NG in order to have more home time. I now work a part time short haul roster and it is great for me in my declining years! Part time working was, until recently, also not on offer on the 787. A significant number of others have done the same, or are unwilling to move base just to fly the 787, hence the progress a long way down the seniority list to attract takers. The flying itself is not particularly "objectionable " as you put it Iver, it's pretty straightforward really. What I found wearing in the end was all the hassle having arrived overseas. Hot bedding of hotel rooms leading to having to wait for your room on arrival, and long duty days positioning from your original arrival point to a different departure point, often on overbooked scheduled services, and trying to shepherd 13 crew through Miami without losing anyone in the airport Malls took the shine off it somewhat! Every other flight an unacclimatised night sector, and then being a rat bag at home for a couple of days whilst returning to UK time. Aah the glamour... Mind you, a night Bodrum doesn't tickle either! Horses for courses I guess.

hec7or
13th Jun 2016, 05:47
trying to shepherd 13 crew through Miami without losing anyone

It's like herding cats

DooblerChina
13th Jun 2016, 08:36
Then don't do it, I gave up years ago, they are all grown men and women and should be able to position.

Anyway back to the subject, I love the 78 lifestyle, June roster is two bullets (48 hour trips) one week of reserve (which I didn't get called on) and three shorthaul flights. Meaning this month I'll have 21 days off. July is three bullets and another reserve so probably 19-21 days off. Plus several of those work days, involve getting into bed at 8am so I consider that a day back after a quick sleep.

Comparing my roster to the short haul roster of the 757 days and I would hate to go back now.

H44
13th Jun 2016, 13:11
DooblerChina that 787 summer roster sounds great. I'm hoping to go on the 787 soon, so was wondering if you would be able to give me an idea of a 787 winter roster which I guess is all long haul with a bit of poitioning to/from Scandinavia? Are the trips longer or are there still bullets?

On the subject of the differing lifestyles on the various fleets, what's people's thoughts on the 787 once the 75's and 76's are finally retired. Is there a chance the 787 could do even more of a mix of short and long haul like the 756 used to before the 787s introduction?

pudoc
13th Jun 2016, 15:47
What are bullets?

Skyhigh86
13th Jun 2016, 17:04
a LH flight with around 24hrs off downroute.

Simple premise but often out of one base and back into another, expect lots of faffing at either end.

Horses for courses, it suits some people for sure and others not so much.

MackTucker
13th Jun 2016, 18:21
Any word on the numbers recently recruited?

Interesting reading about the 78 thanks.

DooblerChina
13th Jun 2016, 19:39
DooblerChina that 787 summer roster sounds great. I'm hoping to go on the 787 soon, so was wondering if you would be able to give me an idea of a 787 winter roster which I guess is all long haul with a bit of poitioning to/from Scandinavia? Are the trips longer or are there still bullets?

Trips longer in Winter, January gave me four trips, 1 was a bullet, the other three were 4-5 days long. visited Scandinavia once. 13 rostered days off plus two arriving in bed by 8. Feb was 1 bullet, one longer trips of 4-5 days a ferry and a sim block. Same days off as Jan.

StevieW
14th Jun 2016, 03:29
Any longer trips at all in the summer (to the lessor served destinations - MRU/LIR/VRA etc) or is it all scheduled flights and taxis to other ports to return home?

DooblerChina
14th Jun 2016, 09:38
Yes but only for LGW based pilots, they have a week stay in Mauritius.

I'd estimate 60% of my trips involve some kind of positioning this could be taxi to BHX, taxi back from EDI or scheduled service Cancun to Puerto Vallarta via Mexico City. I use own way travel when I can for example I can get to BHX for 10 quid on the train so do that and go late at night and claim the cash back from the company. To some it's a hastle but considering I'll position two or three times a month, compared with the average commute I can handle it.

767 scheduled for Dubai and Barbados this Winter, when it leaves the fleet is anyone's guess, I think the latest plan is 2018/19 with the 75 around till maybe 2022 but it changes every year. They are great workhorses and the lease rates on the 76 is cheap compared to the 78, so it always seems to pick up extra work.

737James
28th Jun 2016, 21:46
I have recently been a passenger on a few Thomson flights mainly due to the kids liking the Family Life and holiday village hotels.

All the crew both flightdeck and cabin crew seemed happy to work for the company and had mostly positive things to say when I chatted to them during slot delays.

I am wondering when they have the next round of recruitment whether Thomson could be an option for me to consider as already type rated 737-NG Currently based in the Midlands so easy and be happy to be based at EMA,BHX,LTN or maybe DSA

What are the shift patterns like on the 737 fleet during the summer, do you get back to back longer sector days/nights e.g PFO Sat,LCA Sun and DLM Mon.

Looks to me that most of the deep nights are mostly PMI,IBZ and BOJ flights

Do you get many down route aircraft swaps ( This may not be regular but happened in both directions on recent holiday causing us to miss slots)

The fleet seems quite modern and generally reliable which is good and do crew have good relationship with Ops and engineering ?

I am not sure if I would be interested in the Canadian contract in winter due to family is there any pressure to do so.

Boeing 7E7
29th Jun 2016, 14:17
I have recently been a passenger on a few Thomson flights mainly due to the kids liking the Family Life and holiday village hotels.

All the crew both flightdeck and cabin crew seemed happy to work for the company and had mostly positive things to say when I chatted to them during slot delays.

I am wondering when they have the next round of recruitment whether Thomson could be an option for me to consider as already type rated 737-NG Currently based in the Midlands so easy and be happy to be based at EMA,BHX,LTN or maybe DSA

What are the shift patterns like on the 737 fleet during the summer, do you get back to back longer sector days/nights e.g PFO Sat,LCA Sun and DLM Mon.

Looks to me that most of the deep nights are mostly PMI,IBZ and BOJ flights

Do you get many down route aircraft swaps ( This may not be regular but happened in both directions on recent holiday causing us to miss slots)

The fleet seems quite modern and generally reliable which is good and do crew have good relationship with Ops and engineering ?

I am not sure if I would be interested in the Canadian contract in winter due to family is there any pressure to do so.

Back to back long sectors? Yes absolutely. But so to might you get back to back short sectors e.g UK to MAH, IBZ, PMI etc. More often it will be a mixture of short and long sectors with around 14 flying duties a month in the summer. In the winter significantly fewer.

The aircraft are excellent. While the B757s are a bit old and need a bit of tlc, they are well maintained. The B737 all fairly new and well equipped and the airline start delivery of the MAX in 2018. B787 very nice indeed - just whether you want long haul or not.

Aircraft swaps? Sometimes. Is this a big deal??

Canada is purely voluntary! It is significantly oversubscribed in FO rank and undersubscribed in Capt rank. This is no doubt due to many reasons but probably include demographics and family commitments to name just two.

737James
29th Jun 2016, 22:30
Thanks Boeing 7E7 for the reply and it all seems quite positive so far, In the summer you don't get any problems then with back to back longer night sectors with duty hours. I presume at present on the 737 the longest days are the LCA & PFO sectors although I am sure SSH will be back soon. What happens with the Cape Verde flights are they a stop over sectors ?

No down route aircraft swaps are not a problem if organised correctly and not done at the last minute like on my recent flight where all the bags were loaded and then decided to do the swap or like at my previous employer do an aircraft swap with an aircraft you know is running 1hr30mins late already.

At present I am not to fussed about the long haul and Canada would be ok for a few weeks but not for the whole winter with family life.

All in it looks quite appealing I will keep my eyes open for the next recruitment drive and see what position I am in then.

seen_the_box
29th Jun 2016, 22:50
No down route aircraft swaps are not a problem if organised correctly and not done at the last minute like on my recent flight where all the bags were loaded and then decided to do the swap or like at my previous employer do an aircraft swap with an aircraft you know is running 1hr30mins late already.

I just like to read threads like this to see what's going on in the industry. I have to wonder: is this really something that people are looking at when considering a potential employer? I can't think of anything less relevant.

Pin Head
30th Jun 2016, 04:08
To alleviate any fears on an a/c swop.

FO leaves the rest of the crew on the a/c to go to the new a/c.
Vice versa on the other a/c.

That way someone always on board to catch that APU Fire and all PPP and CDU preflight can be compeleted before the rest of the team arrive.

Simple!

737James
30th Jun 2016, 10:39
Aircraft swaps would never put me off applying for a job just so much better when planned well.

I have just had bad previous experience with another employer who would quite regular plan these and know before you have even left the UK that the aircraft they want to swap and for you to bring back to UK has a couple of hours delay on it and can assure you not much fun waiting around on the ground waiting for your inbound aircraft when you should be nearly home.

I am pleased to hear that this does not seem to be the case with Thomson and things look rather positive

rjay259
31st Aug 2016, 15:49
Thomson are opening recruitment again sometime in September.

pickers
9th Sep 2016, 12:22
This just arrived in the company e-mail....Good luck, guys and gals!

Good afternoon

We are preparing to launch our second pilot recruitment campaign of the year and we will be accepting online applications from Monday 12th September for two weeks to join Thomson Airways as 737, 757, 787 and Non-Type Rated pilots at bases across the country.

The links to apply will be going on to Crew Portal on Monday for you to share with any interested colleagues and associates or alternatively refer them to Find your next career in travel with TUI Jobs UK (http://www.tuijobsuk.co.uk) our company careers page where they can review the job description and apply for the roles.

Superpilot
9th Sep 2016, 12:51
OOI, Part year contracts to begin with?

rjay259
9th Sep 2016, 19:48
Oh bugger, we started him off again!!

Iver
10th Sep 2016, 02:41
Are they still not getting enough internal pilots bidding the 787 that they need newhires for it?

oceanhawk
10th Sep 2016, 08:35
Iver,
It's true to say ,quite junior pilots have successfully bid on to the fleet.

The lifestyle is not for everyone.

McBruce
10th Sep 2016, 15:25
It doesn't help that you need to based at either of the big two. Quite a lot of pilots would opt for the fleet if base options where considered. A lifestyle enhancement perhaps?

recall_checked
12th Sep 2016, 10:49
deleted. Found the answer myself.

uchy
12th Sep 2016, 14:27
Any idea of an average salary and a typical monthly roster for a FO on B787?
Thanks

rjay259
12th Sep 2016, 17:01
Last few months about £4400 take home. Three day sim and five shorthaul and one bullet long haul last month. This month two short haul one bullet long haul and two weeks leave. Average is four long haul a month unless a long month and I've been here 11 yrs.

DooblerChina
12th Sep 2016, 18:46
4.5k a month without overtime, three or four long hauls a month depending if the trips are bullets i.e. 24 hours downroute or longer ones. (Some trips are 8 days long) Only a bit of shorthaul in Summer but for me literally only 4 shorthauls this year. Overtime is a mixed bag, I got loads last year, dried up a bit this year but that's the nature of the beast. Interestingly, I've picked up 5 days overtime this month making my take home in excess of 6k. Can't really comment on take home on the new contract but that only affects basic pay, duty rig and hourly pay is the same as new joiners making each bullet worth between 4-500 quid. Four of them a month and variable pay is well in excess of 20k a year. Add in annual pilot bonus (not guaranteed but the company is doing really well so for now we expect it) usually around 1700 quid paid in December pay, holiday pay of 600 paid each June and share options that add a couple of grand in free options plus decent staff travel which you can add to tax free! discounts at every retailer under the sun it seems and finally 42 days leave with the ability to add 15 gold days (days off you can choose) and it's a top place to be. Oh and I forgot, my roster means my roster, it's rock solid and never changes unless I add overtime.

Still think it's the best gig in town although the part time contract will put lots of people off (understandably) and new joiners are offered an inferior pension contribution. Also factor in 10+ years to command, not something that bothered me as I joined at 25, but someone joining in their 40s is faced with a much bigger predicament.

Good luck to those who take the plunge and I would say see you on the line but as I see a crew room twice a month on the 78, maybe I won't... cheers

uchy
12th Sep 2016, 19:15
Thanks guys for the quick replies!
It does not seem bad at all...
Just the last questions: how many days off/month? Any chance to get some of them consecutive in order to commute?

rjay259
12th Sep 2016, 19:51
If it's just a LH roster it's easy very nearly always three days (in general) off after a trip. Not really less. A few pilots I know of commute to France Channel Islands up further north.

Pin Head
13th Sep 2016, 03:52
Whats the latest please with the commands? Are more people looking to retire now?

DooblerChina
13th Sep 2016, 06:05
Forget coming to Thomson for a command, they are currently running at 13 years and although we have a decent retirement bulge coming, (70 within 3 years) that still only takes it to those who joined 11 years ago. after that, pretty steady at 20-30 a year, and new joiners are around 400 off the most junior Captain.

Black Pudding
13th Sep 2016, 09:00
If a new joiners joins the offered terms, what would be the average monthly take home pay

This position is a Permanent Part Year contract which means full time working between May and October (peak period) and 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off from October through until May. The salary for this is 81.3% of the Full Time Equivalent Salary and is spread equally across 12 months. Pension contributions are based on actual salary.
For the first 3 years a payment of £7,000 is deducted from monthly salary prior to tax / NI deductions for training costs.

busybee123
13th Sep 2016, 21:15
On the 75/76. Started a couple of years ago on PPY50, took home about 3500 / 3600 after tax an pension contributions. Got made full time after a few months now net about 4000-4200. With a little bit of overtime I've often reached low 5000's. With a busy month of say three overtime flights it's been more like 6000. The overtime pays well as most of the time you get two day off payments for one flight as they often report before 0600 or get back after midnight. Yearly hours vary from base to base. Some bases only do about 550. Others 850ish.

Delta Wun-Wun
14th Sep 2016, 14:11
Busybee, were you charged £7000 pa trauning costs?

rjay259
14th Sep 2016, 15:02
Hopefully attached is my august payslip. 11yrs 78 fo, not quite the 5/6000 some are spouting.

H44
14th Sep 2016, 15:29
He did say "with a little bit of overtime"....

I only joined this year, and despite having my OCC (£7k pa) reduction, and my reduced salary (for 5 years) I took home the same as rjay259 - thanks to a single overtime flight (double flexi). Assuming no overtime, I would say £3500-3800 is realistic, in the summer at least.

For those worried about the PPY - we were offered full time for our first winter within a couple of weeks of joining, and if you bid to go on the 78 you'll be full time automatically. So no guarantees but there's a chance you might not have to be on PPY at all.

Deep and fast
14th Sep 2016, 16:26
Non typed, got an e mail today saying no more required. Typed 73/75 on going.
Or just a polite PFO?

osuldavid
14th Sep 2016, 16:47
Got the "no NTR now required" email also. And the NTR & 787 adverts from the site have been removed. Quiet odd as it's only 2 days since the opening.

Dragonite
14th Sep 2016, 17:15
Same here for the NTR. Agreed osuldavid, it doesn't make sense to me. I would have preferred a 'thanks, but no thanks'.

busybee123
14th Sep 2016, 17:51
Rjay259

Your payslip of £4600 net doesn't include any overtime. Plus your paying £150 into the share scheme.

You'd almost certainly be into the 5k's with one extra overtime flight including hourly sector/duty pay.

busybee123
14th Sep 2016, 17:56
Delta wun wun

Yes that 3500/3600 included the one year 7k deduction. Don't forget that its taken out before tax so its 7k you would of paid 40% tax on, so really your only paying back 4200 for one year (or three years if not type rated). Still cant say I agreed with it however.

POT NOODLE HORN
14th Sep 2016, 19:40
7000hrs 737, 500hrs 787

Got my PFO today ☹️️

Dragonite
14th Sep 2016, 19:57
Forgive me I'm new, but what does PFO stand for?

rjay259
14th Sep 2016, 20:04
Busy bee I will be able to let you know in a couple of weeks. The flexi will only work out at about £200 take home (for one payment that is) and the £150 into the share scheme would only be £80. So in reality still only a little bit closer. Not the £5/6000 that others had mentioned.

ManUtd1999
14th Sep 2016, 20:09
Does anybody know if there's any appetite within Thomson to open a cadet scheme in the future? They're one of the larger UK airlines not to have one at present....

uchy
15th Sep 2016, 05:51
Sounds a bit strane this process ...

McBruce
15th Sep 2016, 09:11
We got some comms out this morning which highlighted the recruitment U turn. Mainly our own internal pilot bid filled the 787 slots.

The bid has changed our recruitment need for S17 and so in addition to the 61 pilots already joining us between now and March 2017, we will be recruiting a further 20 – 25 pilots in early November.

I am pleased to advise that we have filled our 787 requirement internally and therefore decided to reconsider our plans to recruit directly onto the fleet and have therefore suspended the 787 recruitment and have emailed the small number of pilots who had already applied to advise them of our decision. We will keep their details on file and should we open this in the future.

Due to the smaller number of additional recruits needed at this current time, we are confident that we will be able to cover this with Type Rated candidates and so for this year we have also stopped the Non Type Rated advert that opened on Monday. Again we have written to the applicants and will also keep their details on file.

We realise that to open recruitment and then close it in this way is not ideal however please be assured that those impacted have been contacted directly and we have acknowledged the time and effort they have spent in completing the application form on line. These decisions are never taken lightly, they are based on our current and predicted operational requirements which are subject to change.

magicmick
15th Sep 2016, 09:36
Hi ManUtd1999

It is my belief that Thomson have operated cadet schemes in the recent past but they were not 0 to CPL MEIR or 0 to MPL type courses.

They only accept applications from those those who already have CPL MEIR.

These cadet courses were never publicly advertised but were only open to CPL MEIR holders who were already working for the company in other roles ie cabin crew, engineers, ops etc.

I have no idea whether or not they are operating that scheme this year (they don't operate it every year).

ManUtd1999
15th Sep 2016, 20:24
Yeah I've heard rumours of them taking internal fATPL candidates, admirable :ok:

I guess with relatively low recruitment numbers a full cadet scheme is unnecessary

xollob
15th Sep 2016, 21:37
work on the figures without overtime and you won't be sorely disappointed. Overtime (known as flexi) has dried up big time with the large recruitment numbers, year on year it has dropped for most I know, especially this year (FO's).

asteroid01
21st Sep 2016, 16:44
Can anyone state / verify what the 737 F/O pay scale / ladder is so that I can evaluate the opportunity? I know its 81.3% for a max of 3 years but am unsure of the ladder.

PPJN quotes the following full time rates:
Year 1 £59,290
Year 2 No info
Year 3 No info
Year 4 No info
Year 5 £64,991
CR £70,688

I will be grateful for any info or verification.

xollob
21st Sep 2016, 18:10
The salary is the same for the first 5 years (not 3) so it's £59,290 X .813 =£48,202 less the £7k for one year if rated. = £41,202,
with UK average tax code that's £2,621 a month, add say £1000 productivity pay in the summer months (not winter) means a take home of about £3,326 for those summer months, excluding any overtime (not much about now). Last year a 3 year pay deal was struck 2% per annum from memory,

There are productivity pay elements that can be found by reading this whole thread.

The company doesn't have to offer full time work until been there 5 years, though they might based on requirments on an annual by annual
basis.

VxVy
22nd Sep 2016, 19:11
Can I get an idea of how much flying you do during those two weeks on in the winter season? is it Like one or a couple trips a week? (assuming you not off to canada, but you're at a UK regional base)

xollob
22nd Sep 2016, 20:44
no trips. the odd flight here and there and lots of standby(737)

DooblerChina
22nd Sep 2016, 22:12
xollob, are u on the 737?

The Red Knight
24th Sep 2016, 18:03
Can anyone provide info on what MAN 73 summer rosters are like?
Thanks in advance.

H44
26th Sep 2016, 20:19
I'm on the 73 at Manch. This summer I've done 12 flights in May, 13 in June, 15 in July and 9 in August (due to 10 days leave). Mix of earlies, lates and deep nights, but mainly earlies as that is what I bid for in the bidding system. Variety of destinations from 2 hour salzburg's and gerona's to 4.5 hour turkey and canaries. Almost all home base flying apart from a couple of trips to Leeds and Newcastle, but again you can express a preference for this one way or the other if desired. No standby in any of those months so all my other days were days off or quasi days off - ie. blank days. Hope this helps.

GA F15
6th Oct 2016, 07:14
Hi all,

I've been lucky enough to be invited for interview. Part of the process requires me to document a full 5 year employment history with agreement for them to contact my employers for references, and this must be submitted at the interview.

Do they contact your current employer prior to offering you a position? I would prefer for my current employer not to know I had applied, and for me to be able to tell them myself if I am offered the job.

Thanks

DooblerChina
6th Oct 2016, 12:34
I would think its all done after any job offer, it's pretty standard for companies to offer you a job subject to successful referencing. Also it's just a check that you have worked at these places, and haven't made anything up, your previous employers can't offer opinions on you anymore.

JW411
6th Oct 2016, 16:48
"Your previous employers can't offer opinions on you anymore".

Well, not in writing anyway.

Twiglet1
6th Oct 2016, 17:00
Or if you haven't coughed any bond up..........

JW411
6th Oct 2016, 17:30
The flying game, even in the 21st century, is still a pretty small mafia.

I retired in 2006. At that time, I knew and swallowed ale with four of my old friends in the industry who were then currently Flight Ops Directors in UK airlines. I also had aviation friends in many other countries from Bangladesh to the USA.

Would it surprise anyone in this industry to realise that the professionals talks to one another in the pub?

Even in writing, such a phrase as this could be construed as unhelpful to your future career:

"When FO Bloggs turned up for work, the result was usually to a satisfactory standard".

If it is at all possible, try very hard to leave your present airline in as nice a way as is possible. You might want to go back there one day.

G1991
10th Mar 2017, 20:11
For those that are still interested in TOM, the company and BALPA announced today the end of PPY for current pilots (who don't want it) and new recruits going forward for the foreseeable future. To change back it would have to be agreed again with the union.

Although I don't believe anyone who hasn't wanted PPY has been forced onto it for over two years now anyway...

hard_landing
19th Mar 2017, 10:33
What would be the chances of an EXT base?

Crandons
11th Apr 2017, 12:04
Recruitment open again.

Pilot Recruitment Thomson Airways (http://tuijobsuk.co.uk/work-at-tui-travel/thomson-airways/pilots/)

spacemonkeys
12th Apr 2017, 09:04
Only 300 on type required. Seems unusually low.

BoeingDreyevr
12th Apr 2017, 17:32
Has any Fo's from a well renowned European 737ng operator made the jump recently? Would like to hear you're thoughts and opinions with regards to the company and salaray differences?

DooblerChina
14th Apr 2017, 15:28
Loads of guys, i'm not one and wasn't going to reply but as no else has i thought i'd just post something. i've flown with quite a few who within a year or two have progressed into the 78, and they all seem really happy. Everyone (i believe) is full time now and the previous part time deal has been lifted. One ex 73 loco i flew with was taking home about 4-4.5k a month as the 78 generates lots of duty pay.

A big change however this time is that any 75/76 joiners will have to be based in Scandi land for Winter which will put lots off... maybe that's why the hours requirement is so low.

Cheers

GuinnessQueen
14th Apr 2017, 15:56
Thomson recruitment:
Can anyone post a sample roster for 757/767. Is the long haul roster commutable? I only ask as I'm fairly interested, however I live about 1:45hr away from a couple of the bases and I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for moving house for a job! (I'm already gainfully employed, but always worth considering other options).

Jack the rabbit
15th Apr 2017, 05:35
Loads of guys, i'm not one and wasn't going to reply but as no else has i thought i'd just post something. i've flown with quite a few who within a year or two have progressed into the 78, and they all seem really happy. Everyone (i believe) is full time now and the previous part time deal has been lifted. One ex 73 loco i flew with was taking home about 4-4.5k a month as the 78 generates lots of duty pay.

A big change however this time is that any 75/76 joiners will have to be based in Scandi land for Winter which will put lots off... maybe that's why the hours requirement is so low.

Cheers

Is that for definite and only 757/767? That would put me off having to live elsewhere in the winter.

What about the 737? I read the seasonal aspect is equalling out a little, are they flying more in the winter from the uk or is it still fairly quiet?

McBruce
15th Apr 2017, 09:02
The Scandi deal is a bit more expansive. On the 756 fleet it will be 767 work so all LH mostly (potential for some SH too, nobody really knows yet). You can choose to either be based there in which the company supply downtown accommodation and give a monthly allowance or you can choose to commute from your UK base in which you will get 5 days off between trips and you can expense your flights to/from upto a certain value as well as hotels the night before/after a trip. On the 76 its expected to be 4 day trips, so you will most likely do 3 trips per month with 15 days off albeit a few of those will need to be used to commute back/forward.

This was put out to our current pilot pool as a bid, the fact its going to recruits seems the uptake wasn't enough to satisfy the requirement. You can bid off it when your in the company.

captain.weird
16th Apr 2017, 12:36
Guys,

Are there any pilots with Thomson who commute from lets say France, Holland to their base? Is it do-able on the 787/767?

Jack the rabbit
16th Apr 2017, 19:18
Thanks McBruce

The description under 767 rated pilots reads to suggest you would be based in Scandinavia for the winter, it doesn't mention commuting from the UK so what you say makes it a little better if it does apply to anyone joining too on the 76.

I'm not 75 rated so was looking under the non rated job listing (which mentions recruitment onto 73/75/76). I take it they're looking for people on the 737 as well? I was keen to know what the winter months look like now on the 737? I know from a friend the summer can be hectic. I take it they're a lot busier over the winter as that forced ppy has been removed?

mcdonnst2
17th Apr 2017, 08:13
Does Thomson try to get you to your base preference? Would new recruits have an option to get a London base? Whats a 737 roster like?

Also, whats the time to command like?

Cheers

recall_checked
22nd Apr 2017, 17:24
In terms of commuting, there are a fair number of pilots who do so from all over Europe on the 737 fleet. I don't personally know any on the 787/756 who aren't part time but having seen the 787 rosters, yes it is possible. Generally 3 to 5 days off between trips. Perhaps a 78 driver can chip in here.

Winter on the 737 is very easy going. 200-250 hours over 6 months (November-end April). All Canaries or Cyprus, so really coming into work once a week sometimes less. Subject to change but nothing has been mentioned by the company about using the Thomson 737s in Scandi-land during the winter. So far the balancing of winter work is all done by the 767/787. Busy summers, but nothing harder than I did at my previous company.

London basing is quite easy at the moment judging by the latest bid results. Very junior pilots moving south. LGW is to have 2 more 737s for Summer 18 too. Company will do their best for you, but it's all down to seniority and where they need people.

Anyone thinking of jumping from an Irish LoCo will not regret it in the slightest. It's simply a brilliant company.

Snapper5
23rd Apr 2017, 05:07
How likely would it be for a new joiner to get BHX as a base ?

Vokes55
23rd Apr 2017, 07:01
I believe 95% of pilots are in their first base preference, and a good proportion of those who aren't are those that have left small, popular bases (EXT/BOH/BRS) for the command upgrade.

Time to command is hard to gauge. The latest upgrades are around 11-12 years in the company, however there was a six year gap in recruitment between 2007-13, so one assumes that time is going to come down significantly very shortly.

whitepark109
23rd Apr 2017, 09:07
Anyone able to give us an idea of a typical 75/6 roster? Any idea of how many pilots they are looking to take on this time around?
Cheers

DooblerChina
23rd Apr 2017, 15:10
No idea on numbers, my May 75/76 roster is 7 short haul flights three days standby and a cape verde night stop. So effectively 13 days work, 17 off.

whitepark109
23rd Apr 2017, 16:48
Sounds not bad at all, thanks for the info!

Jack the rabbit
23rd Apr 2017, 17:00
Any idea recall checked on if it's even Stevens recruitment for both 73 or 75 or majority 75? Just trying to gauge chances (if you passed!) that they'd offer 75 or 73. Although sounds like a cracking place to work the scandi thing wouldn't be at all for me so would be a non starter.

Jack the rabbit
23rd Apr 2017, 17:03
Actually is it midnight the 24th the non rated application closes?

recall_checked
23rd Apr 2017, 18:01
Any idea recall checked on if it's even Stevens recruitment for both 73 or 75 or majority 75? Just trying to gauge chances (if you passed!) that they'd offer 75 or 73. Although sounds like a cracking place to work the scandi thing wouldn't be at all for me so would be a non starter.

Don't know when it closes or anything about numbers either I'm afraid.

Solenoid
28th Apr 2017, 14:10
Hi guys, I've just been invited for an assessment, any info about the interview process?

Hi Solenoid,

Congratulations, we would like to invite you to attend an assessment day for the position of Thomson Airways Non Type Rated Pilot.

What is an assessment day?

Our assessment days are an opportunity for you to find out even more information about TUI Group and what it’s like to work for Thomson Airways as a Pilot. It also allows us to meet with you to assess if you are the person we are looking for, who can deliver exceptional service and go the extra smile.

The assessment day will consist of 2 stages; in the morning there will be a group activity, case study and a technical test which will last from 08.00 until 13.00. Your scores will be collated from these 3 activities and if you have met the criteria then you will be progressed to the 2nd stage of the day.

The 2nd stage of the day will consist of an individual competency based interview and will take place from 13.30 onwards, interviews are completed individually and so we anticipate all interviews being completed and the day finishing at 17.00.

What do I need to bring to the assessment?

To meet with our requirements we will need you to bring the following original items and photocopies to our assessment day:

• Valid EU or UK Passport & photocopy of the picture page
• Valid licence & photocopy
• Valid medical certificate & photocopy
• Log Book & photocopy of the last 3 pages
• Proof of residency in the UK & photocopy
• Proof of UK NI number & photocopy (if you already have this)
• Wet drill Certificate & photocopy (if relevant)

In addition to the above there is 1 attachment on this email which you will need to print off, complete and bring along with you on the day:

• Reference form

Please note that unfortunately we will be unable to assess you if you fail to bring any of the above documentation with you on the day.

The dress code for the assessment day will be smart office wear. To book into your assessment day, click on the following link where you will be able to choose from the dates available, please note that should you be successful through both stages of the day that the assessment day will last until approximately 17.00, please note all timings are approximate.

If you are unable to attend any of the dates listed please do not choose the option that states 'Sorry I am not available for the proposed dates' but instead please contact us on 0800 169 56 92 (Option 1) to find out what if any further dates we have available.

We're looking forward to meeting you!

Regards,

Thomson Airways Recruitment Team

Flocks
28th Apr 2017, 17:10
Hello.

Can I ask you what is your profile?

Primary Governor
28th Apr 2017, 18:09
PFO for me this eve.

31yr old, ATPL
2450TT
1700 on old TP <10T
440 on EFIS TP >20T (current type)
Remainder on piston.

Ah well, I'm used to PFOs at this stage! EI, Thomson etc. It never ends! At least I'm still flying something!

Good luck to all.

CraigyD
28th Apr 2017, 19:00
Received an invite. I'm non-rated, 30, ATPL, 2200tt, 1900 Airbus.

Anybody know what's tested on the technical exam?

mask14
29th Apr 2017, 07:30
Keep the faith Primary Governor
every interview is practice for the next one until it all comes together!

hungryhorse
29th Apr 2017, 09:16
Has anyone else not heard anything back from Thomson yet?

Ich Bin Solo
29th Apr 2017, 11:39
PFO for me too, but I wasn't expecting anything more, just trying my luck!

circa 900hrs A320, 23y/o.

Good luck to those invited to the assessment day!

Deep and fast
29th Apr 2017, 13:46
PFO for me.
5000hrs 3800 jet 20+tons

LewiiiD
29th Apr 2017, 22:55
NTR 28yr old, 1700 hours ezy Airbus....

Anyone know what to expect during the assessment day?

RandomBlah
30th Apr 2017, 15:25
I've been invited to an assessment day.

RAF, 3500 TT, non type rated.

mcdonnst2
2nd May 2017, 14:59
Also got called. 1700tt. 400hr over 40t.

Would like to know time to command.

What do FO's clear a month?

Is the dual base just first year or every year?

Boeing 7E7
2nd May 2017, 17:30
Don't join TOM if quick time to command is important. 2 years ago time to command was about 15 years. People getting their commands now have been in the company around 10 years. People getting their command in 2 years from now, may well have been in the company significantly less than 10 years. But who knows what is around the corner and these things can change overnight. Join the company you think you might be happy in and get your command when it comes around. Or join FR and a get a command pretty munch immediately.

recall_checked
2nd May 2017, 18:08
Also got called. 1700tt. 400hr over 40t.

Would like to know time to command.

What do FO's clear a month?

Is the dual base just first year or every year?

The average of my last 6 pay slips has been just below 4.2k take home. Lowest FO pay scale, short haul and 3 days overtime over the 6 months. Expect a bit more in the summer.

mcdonnst2
2nd May 2017, 18:27
Don't join TOM if quick time to command is important. 2 years ago time to command was about 15 years. People getting their commands now have been in the company around 10 years. People getting their command in 2 years from now, may well have been in the company significantly less than 10 years. But who knows what is around the corner and these things can change overnight. Join the company you think you might be happy in and get your command when it comes around. Or join FR and a get a command pretty munch immediately.

Thanks for that. You are correct. It's not everything but good to know. There is a reason some airlines have long time to command. People are happy there and wanna stay.

Thanks for the pay info too.

Any information on the dual base?

mcdonnst2
2nd May 2017, 18:29
The average of my last 6 pay slips has been just below 4.2k take home. Lowest FO pay scale, short haul and 3 days overtime over the 6 months. Expect a bit more in the summer.

Is that a FO base or a SO? Is this recruitment for FO starting base?

recall_checked
2nd May 2017, 19:18
FO.

Recruitment for people to sit in the right seat. Rank depends on your hours. I think it's 1500 hours including 500 on a jet, but don't quote me on that. Remember to deduct £7k for the OCC costs for your first year.

mcdonnst2
3rd May 2017, 06:48
Is there a bonded TR?

aceman18
5th May 2017, 14:11
Anybody else waiting for a response for the NTR role? Cutting it a bit fine if the assessments are in a week or so.

brucybungy
5th May 2017, 14:46
Send them an email asap, my girlfriend applied at the same time as me.. I got a PFO, she got nothing... So she emailed them yesterday and today she got an invite to assessment...

Good luck..

Let me know how it goes..

eaglescout
6th May 2017, 17:51
I emailed them as I had herd nothing and I got an assessment, any idea on what the study areas should be for the tech exam , any information would be gratefully received

aceman18
6th May 2017, 20:19
Who did you email? airline.recruitment?

corporaljones
7th May 2017, 12:38
Was wondering if someone could help me with a few questions.

- What are the chances of getting Gatwick as a base?
- What kind of work does the 757/767 do? Is it mostly there and back shorthaul?
- How long would it be until a successful 787 bid?
- How does the bidding system work?

Thanks

Boeing 7E7
8th May 2017, 12:25
- good
- mixture of long and short haul
- depends; but there are some very junior FO bids that have been granted.
- bidding system is a source of frustration. Think if it as purely a preferential system. Sometimes it delivers and sometimes it doesn't. But knowing just why it did or didn't delive remains a cause of frustration and confusion!

iburnthings
8th May 2017, 14:48
Got invited to an assessment day, type rated. Can anybody offer any insight to what happens on the day?

Thanks

mcdonnst2
9th May 2017, 05:58
Thanks for that information.

What is the 73 roster in London like in winter and in summer?

What are these gold and silver days on PJN?

corporaljones
9th May 2017, 07:26
Boeing 7E7 - thanks for the information

DooblerChina
9th May 2017, 09:35
Gold and Silver days are not 'extra days off however are a way of fixing your days off from 3 months for Silver up to 12 months for Gold days. They can be booked in pairs (or blocks of 3 on the 787). I generally use them for birthdays or maybe a bank holiday weekend. They can also be tagged on to leave days meaning 7 days of leave can be bumped up to 11 days off using a couple of golds and the automatic free days off we get around leave.

All leave and Golds/silvers are done online. There are various leave bids from the A bid (most points) down to the open bid. The A, B and C bid is done by expressing preferences and the leave desk closed for a couple of days each time to grant bids depending on a points based system. Those with the highest points are those who have had christmas or popular holidays off in the past and obviously the lowest points are those who don't care much about August/July/Xmas etc etc.

Then the bid is open on the C bid and what's left is cheap as chips point wise and if you are happy with weeks off outside of school holidays then there's usually plenty left so you can go online and get your leave. It's a live system so if it's there, it's confirmed instantly.

Hope that helps.

mcdonnst2
9th May 2017, 09:43
Thanks for that. And the normal roster pattern?

DooblerChina
9th May 2017, 09:46
The base bidding system is done by filling lots of boxes (or none if you are happy with your lot) and the bid is run periodically usually twice a year to fill in blanks in the basing. For example bid one might be 787 LGW so you would put a 1 in that box however you don't want to be based at LGW on the 73 so you might put a number 2 in the 787 MAN box. If after the bid you didn't get either of them and you would prefer to stay on your current fleet at your current base then the rest of the form would be left blank.

The bidding team sit down and chews over where the spaces are and fill them with the volunteers done solely on seniority order.

It's done in strict order which has some benefits however the obvious draw back is that there have been cases where someone has been waiting for a base (EXT and BOH or example) which have been full for years but when a slot comes up, a more senior person could put a bid in the day before the bid and get the slot.

This is pretty rare though and my last bid had 28 options as I was looking for a command and I got my first preference. In fact the vast majority got option 1.

Clear as mud?

DooblerChina
9th May 2017, 09:50
Rosters are completely random in a nut shell....

737 busy Summer, quiet Winter
756 busy all year round with some long haul and scandinavian work in the Winter
787 90% long haul and busy all year round, again some Scandinavian work in Winter.

Minimum 11 days off per month, generally get more as lots of blank and RT days which are rest days and don't count towards days off.

cdwhitsi
12th May 2017, 12:19
Just wishing everyone who has an assessment day the best of luck. I haven't applied yet but will apply in the next window for NTR.

garethkeenan
19th May 2017, 20:17
Anyone heard back yet after the assessment?

Al-Berr
22nd May 2017, 14:54
Anybody non-TR got a sim date or a call post interview?

Snr
22nd May 2017, 15:41
Also not heard anything, non-TR. Since sim dates were mentioned as being this Tuesday and Wednesday it's either not looking hopeful, or will be very short notice!

garethkeenan
22nd May 2017, 23:07
Also NTR and no call yet. A friend did get a call Friday though with a sim date. Quite a few 73 rated guys on my assessment in the afternoon though.

mattrbrown
24th May 2017, 08:36
I was at the assessment day last Monday and got an offer of sim assessment on the Thursday. Have the assessment today? Anyone know what it entails?

After_Burner
2nd Jun 2017, 09:22
Still heard nothing after the assessment day... anyone have any news?

A few people I know got a 'No' email last Thursday.

SeaBreeze1
2nd Jun 2017, 16:43
I was told during the interview that everybody would hear "by the end of June" - still a while to wait then!

SeaBreeze1
8th Jun 2017, 15:10
Stand by your phones guys, I just received an email to say I've been successful at the assessment and have been placed in the "pilot talent pool" and that they'll be in touch with "a further update" soon!

I'm 73 rated.

After_Burner
8th Jun 2017, 20:47
Same here... I'm 73 rated also.

Hopefully we all hear some news soon about timescales and basing.

prisoner24601
9th Jun 2017, 14:33
Anyone know of plans for 787 recruitment?

DooblerChina
10th Jun 2017, 10:26
Very unlikely for the foreseeable future, all positions can be filled internally.

SeaBreeze1
20th Jun 2017, 12:32
Has anybody heard anything since being placed in the "talent pool"? Anybody been offered a contract or base?

The original job add was for positions commencing late August - that's not looking too likely since most need a 3 month notice period.

Pin Head
21st Jun 2017, 02:36
Heard talk of a bit of a slowdown in the business? Some courses postponed?

Any back up to this?

DooblerChina
22nd Jun 2017, 01:45
pin head.... i don't know the answer specifically to your question... however i will say that Thomson has always and will always be a very conservative company regarding the economy. They (as in the management) do not like to over extend and tend to live life happy with steady returns with a long term outlook. When the economy is booming, they have added capacity slowly and when the economy is flat or contracting.... withdrew cautiously.

That is why they have been here for 50 years and in my opinion will continue to be here in 50 years time.

They work on a 5-10 year timescale not the 6-12 months other airlines do. Any minor changes to a few courses should be seen as just that... minor.

Hope that helps.

mattrbrown
23rd Jun 2017, 18:19
I believe august was the earliest for type rated pilots.
November for 757 then Jan for 737.

SeaBreeze1
21st Sep 2017, 05:39
What's the general consensus with commuting within the UK in TOM? Is it possible on the 73 fleet with the random roster? For example a new joiner who lives in the South East and gets offered a NE base - are days off paired together to make this doable?

Thanks in advance.

Boeing 7E7
21st Sep 2017, 08:15
Days off are usually paired together and we get 10 days off a month in the summer. More in the winter. You are required to live within 1.5 hours of your base though, so the company would expect you to abide by that when you are operating. The summers are very busy and therefore tiring and I believe some pilots do commute.

recall_checked
22nd Sep 2017, 14:55
Plenty of people commute around the country. Mainly those new commanders who relocated for a promotion or new FOs still waiting for their choice of base.

There are, however, a number of pilots (CPT + FO) on the 737 fleet, full time, that commute from various European countries and don't seem to have any issues doing so.

And yes, days off are paired nicely. I'm not sure if that's a rostering agreement or the way things work out on my roster. But I generally get 2-4 days off in a row in the summer. You can also bid to have your work in blocks.

SeaBreeze1
22nd Sep 2017, 17:52
Great info, thanks guys :ok:

Looking forward to joining in the new year!

monkey.tennis
8th Oct 2017, 19:24
Could anyone explain how the round the world charters are crewed? Does a single crew operate the whole trip or do they get swapped out periodically?

Beakor
8th Oct 2017, 21:04
Single crew for whole trip almost always. Very rarely FDP issues to meet the charterers schedule requires another crew. 2017/18 programme fully crewed and running now. Bids for 18/19 open early next year. At the moment about 5 years seniority on the B757 fleet gets you in the running for the single FO slot.

monkey.tennis
9th Oct 2017, 08:29
Thank you. And how long are the trips typically? Sounds like fun.

Beakor
9th Oct 2017, 09:39
Depending on trip, 3 to 4 weeks. About 10 per year, Oct to Mar. All subject to change though as the 757s leave and the 737 max arrives. No idea what the plan is.

Skyhigh86
9th Oct 2017, 13:45
If you are joining with an eye to jumping onto a round the world trip; you are probably wasting your time.

For the FOs bidding it has now gone down to the younger generation shall we say, for at least the next 2 years i would say it will be full up with those currently already in the airline.

After that if it goes to the 73-8 or Max then it will go majorly senior again as many long termers on the fleet will be clamouring for a trip.

Will Co
7th Nov 2017, 12:02
Hello there,
I just got an email inviting me to the assessment at East Midlands airport. The only available slots are next week and totally undoable. Does anybody know what happens if I don't book a date right now? Will they offer new dates later?

goaround737
8th Nov 2017, 12:01
Same, its pretty much take it or leave it. Disappointing given they only give a weeks notice.

Vokes55
8th Nov 2017, 12:53
It certainly wouldn't be their intention but personally, if you want a job badly enough, you'd make it doable.

plikee
8th Nov 2017, 13:28
Same, its pretty much take it or leave it. Disappointing given they only give a weeks notice.

Job advert said the group interview/exercises will take place between 13th and 17th of November. It wasn't a week notice.

Vwon
9th Nov 2017, 09:44
Presumable the NTR applicants will only be offered the 737/756, and 787 jobs will be filled internally? Any rough ideas about waiting time once 'in', for the 787?

Thanks

plikee
9th Nov 2017, 11:33
Presumable the NTR applicants will only be offered the 737/756, and 787 jobs will be filled internally? Any rough ideas about waiting time once 'in', for the 787?

Thanks

If you're NTR, you will be frozen on your initial type for 3 years. Go back some pages and you'll find your answer :ok:

Will Co
9th Nov 2017, 14:25
It is quite hard to comply with those dates with such a short notice because getting to East Midlands and back would require 3 days for me and one has a flying job to do. London would have been another thing. (I'm from Scandinavia and I was thinking that I could do this without commuting during winter). I guess it was not meant to be.

It certainly wouldn't be their intention but personally, if you want a job badly enough, you'd make it doable.

mikehammer
9th Nov 2017, 15:14

:mad: ................

goaround737
9th Nov 2017, 18:51
Job advert said the group interview/exercises will take place between 13th and 17th of November. It wasn't a week notice.

My sincere apologies plikee, are there any more hairs you’d like to split?

Vokes55
9th Nov 2017, 20:06
I don't understand what the problem is. The job advert said the interviews will take place between certain dates, and they're taking place between those dates. If you can't do those dates, why bother applying?

TUI do assessments over a week, they pull a specific set of pilots off the line to conduct them with the HR department. They're not going to add extra dates just for you, they have over 900 applicants for less than 50 jobs.

recall_checked
9th Nov 2017, 20:09

Thanks

As they advertised for 787 type rated, I wouldn't hold your breath for NTR 787.

Some chaps who got the 787 very recently haven't even been in the company 1 year. But as always, history isn't an indication of the future.

Vwon
9th Nov 2017, 20:43
My curiosity lies with why it went to junior guys. I hazard a guess that the lifestyle isn't for everyone. Thanks

recall_checked
9th Nov 2017, 21:16
I don't know enough about the 'behind the scenes' to give an accurate answer. Perhaps something to do with there only being 3 787 bases? The junior guys are taking a UK base in the summer and Scandi base in the winter. I guess the older FOs with families don't want that and are waiting for permanent UK slots to become available. I'm just guessing.

It's not a bad way of life at all. Very senior fleet for the LHS.

SeaBreeze1
10th Nov 2017, 12:49

I joined in the last intake. The first thing I did after applying is book 2 days annual leave during the stated assessment week JUST IN CASE I get invited.

Preparing for an interview isn't just about researching the airline's history - it's also about making sure you can attend!

plikee
10th Nov 2017, 16:40

Yeah, don't make false statements in the interview like you did here. And to don't be again disappointed, just read more carefully everything from now on. Good luck if you can make it.

dsmitt7
14th Nov 2017, 09:17
are they still advertising for B767 temp contracts?
what s the contact

A340rider
15th Nov 2017, 22:27
Seems a lovely place to work with friendly colleques like Pikee and Vokes...Imagine 10 hours on 787 with them...FR are still looking lol

DooblerChina
16th Nov 2017, 08:16
No temp contracts

dsmitt7
16th Nov 2017, 08:58
so they take permanent crews? any contacts

A340rider
16th Nov 2017, 21:45
I must have missed the 'L' out, didn't mean to sound derogatory.. I know a tattoo parlour where you can have the TUI Smile put on your skinny arm

Matey
16th Nov 2017, 22:47
Just by way of addressing some of the bickering that has crept into this thread, having just retired after 37 years with the company I think that I am qualified to observe that this is a very good employment opportunity. Great colleagues in all departments, excellent training,well maintained aircraft, a variety of lifestyles in long and short haul, good Ts and Cs. Yes of course the management are always knocking on the door to try and extract more, but the BALPA Company Council do an excellent job in keeping the wolf from the door as much as possible. Of all the UK based employment opportunities currently available I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it as a good career choice. Colleagues who, in recent years, have joined from other operators have in my experience been unanimous in their view that they made the right choice. I fully appreciate that it is not the same deal that I signed up to many years ago, but still worthy of very serious consideration. Right...back to my pipe and slippers!

G1991
16th Nov 2017, 23:09
Agreed. Without doubt one of the top three jobs in the UK. Offers some of the best pay and conditions of any UK airline, opportunity to live almost anywhere in GB (some 787 guys and girls live on the continent/islands in between!) , short and long haul dependent on your wants/circumstances, round the world trips, detachments, different part time contracts and many other lifestyle choices not available at many G-reg operators.

Is it what Britannia and Air Leisure were 20 years ago? No. But nowhere is. A comparatively strong union seem to keeping this one of of the best jobs out there. Good luck to those who applied!

dsmitt7
17th Nov 2017, 07:43
hi
does anybody have the contact for TUI? I hear they have 767 British crews flying out of Scandinavia or shall I contact the Swedes directly?
cheers

vrb03kt
17th Nov 2017, 08:15
It's not a contract position, and the recruitment is all done via advertised campaigns. The last of which closed a few weeks ago, so you've missed this time around. Perhaps there will be another round next year?

switch_on_lofty
18th Nov 2017, 19:39
Anyone able to describe the promotion to captain prospects for someone joining tui in the UK please? Is it on merit or time etc? How long would you be looking at?
Well done to all those recently recruited.

Matey
18th Nov 2017, 23:39
Seniority, suitability and personal choice re type, base etc

Boeing 7E7
19th Nov 2017, 07:51
Time to command is a difficult one to predict. Currently it is around the 10 year mark, but who knows by the time 10 years comes about....Based on past experience it is probably fair to say that it’s somewhere between 8-17 years.

captain.weird
4th Feb 2018, 11:21
Guys, how easy is it to commute on the 787 fleet? Is it do-able to commute from an European base?

Like guys who are flying for BA but living at FRA and commute for their flights from LHR..

Seems like a nice place.

recall_checked
7th Feb 2018, 04:46
Doable.

The 787 is a quiet fleet in the Summer, so definitely possible. And if you take a winter basing in Scandinavia (very junior bid at the moment) you get a minimum of 5 days off between trips if you pick the commuting option. You then pay/book for your flights back home yourself and the company reimburse that cost against receipts. That's your best option, and fortunately for you it's the easiest bid on the 787 to get.

I know one chap on the 787 commuting to mainland Europe. I'm sure there are others.

McBruce
7th Feb 2018, 12:45
As above but also consider that the 787 fleet will be increasing its SH exposure over the coming years, presently 2 frames do summer SH. This will increase which wont be commuter friendly.

bombaydude
23rd Mar 2018, 15:53
Hearing that tui airways is recruiting on all fleets.......any information anyone?

Gazeem
23rd Mar 2018, 17:37
Recruitment is open today until 6th April.

Looking for non-rated as well as 737, 7576 and 787 pilots.

See https://tuijobsuk.co.uk for more.

RAFAT
23rd Mar 2018, 23:18
Interesting to note that, even for type-rated candidates, you still have to pay £7k in the first year for "training costs." For NTR candidates it's £21k over 3 years as before.

olster
24th Mar 2018, 09:17
Caveat emptor. Thomson is not the Britannia Airways of yore. Little stunts like asking for 7k for tr training costs should give you a clue. This is symptomatic of flight ops management who I would not buy a used car from. There is a big push to drive costs down and no surprise, pilots are the target. Reduced pension contributions, ludicrous basing arrangements, reduced allowances etc, etc. Once a really great company, now not so much.

switch_on_lofty
24th Mar 2018, 17:26
I can't really get my head around many people who'd be willing to spend up to half the year (in the winter) in the Nordics on a permanent basis. And from the wording in the advert you don't even know if that will be the case with the contract until later on.

McBruce
24th Mar 2018, 17:39
switch, our management are currently out of touch at the moment. Hopefully due for a reset soon otherwise they will struggle to recruit and retain pilots, we've already had a few leave due to the constant onslaught. In the past few years affecting new joiners - Fixed term contracts, PPY50, pay to join, pensions reduced, dual basing, no bonus paid (which has 5% pension flex for new joiners) and a recent document explaining how we're not cost effective versus flybe/wizzair and we must all take a 20% cut to our lifestyle benefits/T&Cs.

The good news is an unprecedented response from the pilot work force currently going through the usual failure to agree processes, I guess we shall wait and see how this affects the current landscape. In all its a good company to work for, strong union representation and great staff, your just not appreciated by management, constantly fed spin/lies. I guess this is the current era of management. Most airlines in the UK have had their battles recently, this is our one.

G1991
24th Mar 2018, 17:48
Caveat emptor. Thomson is not the Britannia Airways of yore. Little stunts like asking for 7k for tr training costs should give you a clue. This is symptomatic of flight ops management who I would not buy a used car from. There is a big push to drive costs down and no surprise, pilots are the target. Reduced pension contributions, ludicrous basing arrangements, reduced allowances etc, etc. Once a really great company, now not so much.

I don't think that's all totally fair. it certainly doesn't have the benefits that Britannia of the 80's had but it's still well within the top three best carriers in the UK to work for (currently).

Looking past the ridiculous training cost arrangement which isn't popular with the work force in the slightest, AT THE MOMENT it's a great company to be at. People will compare it to what is was years ago and it certainly isn't that. If you want the option of living in "the regions", not commute and dabble with short and long haul then its the best airline in the UK to work for.

There are negotiations ongoing which have lets say, raised a few eye brows, but the airline has one of the strongest unions in the land and it's fair to say the workforce are severely pushing back on any changes that aren't positive, especially during the current recruitment climate and record company profits. I agree with Olster on a number of points he/she makes but none the less I believe it's still a great place to be with fantastic colleagues.

The Nordic operation is for 757/767 and 787 pilots. 737 will be UK based with the opportunity to go to Canada in the winter should you wish to bid. There is an accommodation option and and commuting option in Scandinavia (minimum 5 days off between trips - which you will need to commute during). All flights, trains, taxis etc are paid. It suits some and not others but if you're looking long term and are willing to do the Nordic op for a time period you can bid off at any point.

It's very hard to passionately say "apply!" because it's uncertain where the current negotiations will take the work force, but there's no harm in applying and going to find out what they have to say on the assessment day! I've been in the company a small number of years now and have loved every minute. Wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I hope it stays that way.

It was a great company, at the moment it's a great company (compared the vast majority in the UK despite cuts in Ts and Cs over the years). Time will tell if that remains to be the case...

switch_on_lofty
24th Mar 2018, 17:55
Thanks for those responses.

olster
24th Mar 2018, 18:12
Er, I am being spectacularly fair. In fact my views on your management would be interspersed with expletive deletives if I was not restricted by common sense on a public forum. This is because I am aware of their extremely dubious moral compass or basically complete lack of one. I worked for Britannia Airways from back in the late 70s and it was undoubtedly a great airline. It would be extremely unrealistic to expect that now. However, you can live in your cosy bubble but the truth is different. It is certainly not in the 'top 3' uk airlines but hey, that is just my opinion.

olster
24th Mar 2018, 18:42
However, also in fairness... I do agree that there are a lot of very good people in the workforce who do the job on a daily basis, pilots, crew etc. Ill served by the management unfortunately. When I was there Balpa struggled to deal with this brave new world of immoral management and the creeping Ryanairisation that is endemic in the industry. The previous 'partnership ' between reasonable managers and the pilot union has been ripped asunder. I don't want to be harsh to the guys / gals there now but it is disappointing to see where it has gone. A view shared by us old fogeys. Good luck anyway.

beamer
24th Mar 2018, 19:56
I left Tui/Thomson about eighteen months ago after a decent innings in the lhs on the 75/76. The outstanding terms and conditions created by the Britannia CC in days gone by have been under constant attack since the merger with First Choice; they were in reality quite unsustainable in current market conditions and potential new recruits should be under no illusion that what is on offer is very different from that enjoyed by senior pilots in the Company. That being said, TUI operates a varied fleet and is a significant UK operator of the 787 with an expanding longhaul programme not to mention the replacement of the 737 fleet with new for old in the not to distant future. Part-time working is a popular option for both individuals and the Company but make no mistake, you will be worked hard for your money ! The training department is very good despite their endless changes of SOP's. The Company Council fights hard to restrict the constant pressure from Board level management in both UK and Germany.

TUI is definitely worth serious consideration but go in with your eyes open.

Boeing 7E7
24th Mar 2018, 20:05
It’s an outstanding airline if you joined in the 70. A great airline if you joined in the 80s. A good airline in the 90s. Not bad compared to the low costs, if you joined in 00s. Probably better than the LCCs if you joined in the
10s. And what the company is proposing now, will put it on par with the LCCs ...but with a 15 year wait for a command. Oh and the chance of flying a B787.

25th Mar 2018, 00:41
Anybody can tell if is commuting Doable from UK bases to Canary Islands or Europe mainland on the 737 fleet ? What about on the 787 as well ?

Shooting_Star
25th Mar 2018, 05:30
Anyone would like to share how the rosters on 787 look like ? How many days youre in the uk ?

beamer
25th Mar 2018, 08:16
Air Uk

From what I understand the boys and girls in Scandiland do get home quite often but clearly it can get difficult with winter weather and the lack of direct flights to certain UK bases - you may get used to Schipol !

There are the odd one or two pilots who commute from the Low Countries and the Channel Islands but from what I have been told, its not easy and quite wearing. Not sure if the Company would be very enthusiastic to such a proposal from a new recruit.

The 767 is doing Far East trips from Scandi in the winter.

The 757 is slowly dying on the vine so I would not make too many assumptions about anything other than the 73 and 78.

Staff Travel when I left was not easy due to understaffing.

Working environment is very friendly despite one or two dinosaurs in the LHS who will bore you to death about the size of their FS pension pots.

Please accept a health warning on these comments as I am out of the loop but still in contact with some on the coalface.

MINself
25th Mar 2018, 19:46
Do any of the regional basing options include NWI? Thanks