PDA

View Full Version : DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 6

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

blackbeard1
10th Mar 2015, 20:16
SZD unsafe, this has been done to death, please check the facts, DVT said that, take a look back at post 392 and they had to admit they were wrong in post 369.
http://www.pprune.org/8760477-post392.html
http://www.pprune.org/8760581-post396.html

Stange DVT's last post was on 3 Dec 2014 and you joined 6 Dec 2014, any connection?

VentureGo
10th Mar 2015, 21:48
SZD unsafe, this has been done to death, please check the facts, DVT said that, take a look back at post 392 and they had to admit they were wrong in post 369.
DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 6 (http://www.pprune.org/8760477-post392.html)
DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 6 (http://www.pprune.org/8760581-post396.html)

Stange DVT's last post was on 3 Dec 2014 and you joined 6 Dec 2014, any connection?
Last edited by blackbeard1; 10th Mar 2015 at 20:43.
http://www.pprune.org/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=8896687) http://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/reply_small.gif (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=8896687&noquote=1)Colombo's been gone a while, Kojak- History! That guy on "Death in Paradise" is quite good - But Hey!! - What detective work!

for what it's worth imo.
(DTVA will close and become housing with retail park - so let's get modern infrastructure built now - Fast executive Train & Coach services to Newcastle Airport (or LBA) and link our whole region to a wider network and so attract more routes directly to the North East (albeit not DTV ..as it has ceased to be..."this is a dead parrot! - ref. Monty Python, Parrot Sketch.. for those not initiated!) - Crash helmet on!

Cautious Optimist
10th Mar 2015, 23:04
I'm not trying to hide anything - yes I was DTVAirport, and for quite some time I was concerned that I was being mistaken for some kind of official airport account/spokesperson or whatever you want to call it, so when I heard that the airport shared this concern, getting a new account became a no-brainer.

Thank you for reminding me of the previous discussion, I am of the belief there were still safety concerns as I've heard it too many times from too many different sources, like I mention in those posts, Brymon Airways said as much. But yes a lack of radar facilities was the primary reason for airlines pulling out of Sheffield City.

VentureGo - as myself and others have said hundreds of times - the land surrounding the airport is worth a hell of a lot more with an in-tact, operational, and busy airport bang smack in the middle of it, so anyone who thinks Peel only want the land - yes, they may well do - but it's in their best interests to do the best they can to grow the airport accordingly, and the increase in based aircraft and operators over the last few months is proof they are trying.

blackbeard1
10th Mar 2015, 23:46
Thank you for being honest, at least we know where we are with you.

pug
11th Mar 2015, 13:30
When did Brymon say it was unsafe? Who are you getting this rubbish from?

If it was deemed unsafe, then the airline simply wouldn't have flown from it.. Outside controlled airspace? A number of small commercial airports are.

Thing is 'cautious optimist' is that you come across as a part of some voluntary Peel PR machine, presumably you are not in their pocket financially? So it's a bit strange that you wilfully stick up for their every move on here, when if you really care about the airport then you should be more critical of what is, after all, part of a multi £billion organisation who make their money from redeveloping land. The fact you perpetuate their PR work for free is somewhat laughable, but each to their own..

Cautious Optimist
11th Mar 2015, 17:07
Pug - The airlines didn't fly from it in the end, they all left.

As I've always said I'll criticise without hesitation if I have reason to, which at the moment I don't.

Beafer, if Flybe started up Aberdeen, the likely scenario would be they undercut and force Eastern off the route then would likely leave themselves.

Robert-Ryan
11th Mar 2015, 17:09
Just reading the DTV Movements website, seems we're getting a 2nd Microlight school, this time fixed wing, Durham Aero Sports.

All good extra business. :D :ok:

SWBKCB
11th Mar 2015, 17:16
I wish them luck, but "number one flying school in the North East of England"? Have they operated a lesson yet? :eek:

GrahamK
11th Mar 2015, 17:32
As an airfield, DTVA has excellent prospects. As an International airport, none I'm afraid. Focus on keeping T3 and KLM, and build up GA is the only way to go Im afraid

Robert-Ryan
11th Mar 2015, 17:37
Exactly Graham K well said

SWBKCB
11th Mar 2015, 17:39
Is there enough money in GA (especially in the North East of England) to pay the bills?

pug
11th Mar 2015, 17:39
The airlines left, but they don't start flying from there in the first place if deemed as dangerous. So I would question your sources, and therefore the basis of your own opinions..

highwideandugly
13th Mar 2015, 03:34
Noticed on the DTV movements,a couple of tornadoes did approaches yesterday..just for discussion...if/when. Houses are built within half a mile of the runway..will these type of flights be discouraged from the noise point of view? I suppose buzzing micros and droning parachute aircraft can be a bit of a pain too?
I suppose worse case scenario is they are stopped to avoid upsetting the "new locals" and hence revenue from the aeronautical side might drop?

Welcome back DTVAIRPORT! Now all is clear!!:)

N707ZS
13th Mar 2015, 07:18
A couple of Tornado's now and then not really enough to make a big noise problem, might be just enough to make said local councilor piss her nickers as they pull away or god forbid put on a bit of after burner.

Mickey Kaye
13th Mar 2015, 07:38
Is there enough money in GA (especially in the North East of England) to pay the bills?

No but would it not help a little towards balancing the books?

Sadly Peel have done nothing but drive GA away from the place,

blackbeard1
13th Mar 2015, 08:02
A couple of Tornado's now and then not really enough to make a big noise problem, might be just enough to make said local councilor piss her nickers as they pull away or god forbid put on a bit of after burner.
You can't have ever lived in a village, the "newcomers" tend to complain about the noise and in turn make a lot of noise about it. Take a look at this report of a cockerel disturbing a quiet country village.
BBC News - Eyam cockerel's owners served with noise abatement notice (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-29625866)
You can even follow him on FaceBook

Beafer
13th Mar 2015, 11:17
North east might suffer due to this. DTV mentioned.

APD proposal rejected by MP's
Proposal to help North-East airports is rejected by MPs (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/11853998.Proposal_to_help_North_East_airports_is_rejected_by _MPs/)

SWBKCB
13th Mar 2015, 16:44
No but would it not help a little towards balancing the books?

Sadly Peel have done nothing but drive GA away from the place,

Hopefully Peels' recent initiatives are starting to put that right, but my point was that GA is part of the mix and not the answer. The answer for DTVA is to make the best of it's assets and to develop all of the different aspects of the airfield with this eventual aim (nicked from the BOH thread):

The level of clustering (of aviation businesses) is now beginning to appeal as an attractant in its own right and this is in no small part due to the ability to access a fully functioning airfield

The danger could be that some of the activities start to interfere with the success of the others - with the obvious example being housing and things like the parachute/microlight schools

Cautious Optimist
13th Mar 2015, 17:43
Noticed on the DTV movements,a couple of tornadoes did approaches yesterday..just for discussion...if/when. Houses are built within half a mile of the runway..will these type of flights be discouraged from the noise point of view? I suppose buzzing micros and droning parachute aircraft can be a bit of a pain too?
I suppose worse case scenario is they are stopped to avoid upsetting the "new locals" and hence revenue from the aeronautical side might drop?

Welcome back DTVAIRPORT! Now all is clear!!
I never left :) and air traffic will not be reduced or restricted in any way shape or form after the houses are built, they will try and continue to build on the marked increase we've seen of late.

Sadly Peel have done nothing but drive GA away from the place
They've realised this and practically managed to reverse it overnight.

Beafer
16th Mar 2015, 11:57
As posted on NCL thread.
A DTV mention regarding Northolt.
RAF base near Heathrow could connect Newcastle Airport to long haul network - Chronicle Live (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/raf-base-near-heathrow-could-8845882)

Cautious Optimist
16th Mar 2015, 13:18
Not a terrible idea but I can't see it happening.

Here is a more positive press article:

AIRPORT REPORTS INCREASE
IN ‘CORE BUSINESS’ SERVICES

Durham Tees Valley Airport chiefs say that the decision to reposition its operations and concentrate on business and general aviation services is starting to pay dividends.

Passenger figures for its ‘core business’ activities—which include scheduled services to Amsterdam Schiphol and Aberdeen as well as the summer service to Jersey and tour flights with Newmarket Holidays—showed a 3 per cent rise for 2014 compared to the previous year.

Total passenger numbers on these services rose from 136,397 in 2013 to 140,022 last year—demonstrating, says Managing Director Steve Gill that the strategy set out in the airport Master Plan is moving in the right direction.

He explained “When we took the decision to move away from mainstream charter programmes from 2014 we understood that, in the short term, this would affect overall passenger numbers, but that it was necessary for us develop a more viable business model to help safeguard the future of aviation activity.

“Central to the new approach was working to sustain our existing scheduled services and I am pleased to say that the increase in passenger numbers on this core business does show we are moving in the right direction.

“We will be continuing to work with our airline partners to maintain progress and the start of 2015 has seen the introduction of a number of important initiatives, including our new website and state-of-the-art parking system, a new Privilege Club offering more benefits for passengers, improved tariffs for general aviation users and a significant marketing programme for our scheduled services.

“We have also recently launched a major Business Travel Survey, seeking views on a wide range of factors aimed at gaining a better understanding of how the airport can help to meet business needs—and enabling us to demonstrate business demands in our discussions with both new and existing airlines.”

Amongst the major companies which makes great use of the airport’s worldwide links is Cummins. Says Plant Manager Des McMenamin “We are part of a global organisation with manufacturing, technical and service facilities across six continents. Durham Tees Valley Airport is literally on our doorstep and provides international connections to key destinations that support our business.”

Mickey Kaye
16th Mar 2015, 14:47
They've realised this and practically managed to reverse it overnight.

What and earth!

If the management have only just realized this then they should be shot. A huge amount of damage has been done and its going to take an awful lot of time to turn in around. But I do hope they mange to succeed.

highwideandugly
17th Mar 2015, 01:23
Amazing spin from Peel...which continues to take in some of the local enthusiasts.

Yet again appalling figures for February. Continuing this years trend!!

Looks like that Progress statement was ill timed and most definitely misjudged?:mad:

Cautious Optimist
17th Mar 2015, 13:46
The figures for last year are sound, but admittedly this year is not looking good so far.

NorthSouth
17th Mar 2015, 16:21
The figures for last year are sound:confused: Pax down 12% on 2013, compared to a drop of "only" 3% 2012-2013

Cautious Optimist
17th Mar 2015, 16:41
I meant on the Amsterdam and Aberdeen route as referred to in the article

SWBKCB
17th Mar 2015, 16:44
Independent National report? As I posted on the NCL thread:

Who decided to set up the Task Force?

Heathrow Airport Ltd (HAL) included the idea in their May 2015 Stage 2 Submission to the Airport’s Commission; both DfT and the Airports Commission showed interest in the proposal and so HAL approached Lord Shipley to help them establish the Task Force as an independent entity and then subsequently to Chair it.

The Chair and members of the Task Force will not be paid for their participation, but Heathrow Airport Ltd will cover their reasonable travel, accommodation and other expenses as part of its sponsorship of the Task Force’s Secretariat and the research programme it is leading. Heathrow Airport Ltd will have observer status at Task Force meetings, summary notes of which will be placed on the Task Force’s web site, but will not participate directly in the Task Force’s work or influence its conclusions.

Not my idea of independent... :=

Fairdealfrank
18th Mar 2015, 20:47
Airport chiefs welcome independent national report backing Teesside Heathrow link - Gazette Live (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/airport-chiefs-welcome-independent-national-8859786)

So they should, it's desperately needed. The airport went belly-up after BD ended the LHR-MME route.

SWBKCB
18th Mar 2015, 20:51
The airport went belly-up after BD ended the LHR-MME route

Oh no it didn't...

And why is it desperately needed with fast rail links to London and three times a day to AMS?

mmeman
18th Mar 2015, 21:39
Eastern Airways cant be too worried about the drop in passenger figures - looks like they are swapping the J41 for a Saab 2000 from the summer timetable, according to their website (Looks also like Newcastle flights to Aberdeen swapping to a J41 apart from some flights on the EMB145??). Good news if correct!

HH6702
18th Mar 2015, 23:21
Could the swap in aircraft type be a move before flybe comes in on the abz route?

A warning to flybe??

LEEDS APPROACH
18th Mar 2015, 23:26
Govt distorted demand. Watch this space.

Cautious Optimist
19th Mar 2015, 00:52
HH6702 - Flybe have not spoken to the airport regarding an Aberdeen route, so I can only assume it is some kind of publicity stunt on their part? Furthermore, they are axing Leeds-Aberdeen because they cannot compete, which has always been the outcome when they've gone up against Eastern on Aberdeen routes many times in the past.

EI-BUD
19th Mar 2015, 05:28
All well and good setting up a task force and discussing a Heathrow route. Similar has happened at Jersey, IOM, Newquay, Plymouth, Leeds (potentially?, Guernsey, Inverness etc. Few of these regional airports got a service reinstated. Jersey did temporarily but by that time the regular fliers were well and truly converted to LGW.

Equally, BA is the only show in town and with NCL so near, not going to happen.

SWBKCB
19th Mar 2015, 06:38
All well and good setting up a task force and discussing a Heathrow route. Similar has happened at Jersey, IOM, Newquay, Plymouth, Leeds (potentially?, Guernsey, Inverness etc.

The task force (which had strong links to LHR) has just reported...

Govt distorted demand

Do you mean the tax break in the budget for North Sea development? If so don't see how this adjusts demand between Newcastle and Teesside. I'm sure Eastern know this market far better than any on here, but there does appear to have been more cancellations out of MME recently than NCL, and almost universal reduction in capacity to ABZ from other UK airports

N707ZS
19th Mar 2015, 07:44
Fuss about North Sea oil, I see the price of petrol is slowly starting to go back up again at the petrol pumps.

Heathrow Harry
19th Mar 2015, 09:15
Well head price up from a low of $46 a Barrel in early January to $ 60+ a barrel now

A barrel is about 180 litres at the pump but tax is around 75% of the price

US $ has been rising against most currencies as well so that pushes the price up

Won't last - storage is getting full and once that happens it will be straight supply (high) against demand (low) and a further fall

Cautious Optimist
20th Mar 2015, 12:38
Looks like GW Microlights have had an accident on the runway, airport currently closed

Midland 331
23rd Mar 2015, 16:46
No, it's almost due south of the former British Chrome works, so well south of the 23 centreline, and not connected to the proposed "South Side" development at all, so I can make out.

The proposed housing is on the eastern side of the map you link to. This is even further away from the 23 centreline.

highwideandugly
24th Mar 2015, 19:46
any of you guys in the know explain why SSR has not been available for some time now and into the future...it's not a cost cutting measure surely?..:confused:

N707ZS
24th Mar 2015, 19:51
Its broken. No idea why its taking so long to fix though.

Robert-Ryan
24th Mar 2015, 19:54
Is that the old radar dish thing over on the south side? If so it allegedly leaks radiation and is close to being condemned so perhaps it has been? Problem here is when it does get condemned, rather than build a new one they'll likely resurrect the dreaded 'let's move radar to Liverpool' idea :=

highwideandugly
24th Mar 2015, 20:23
But what is broken?? I thought we imported it from the caa via a telephone line?? Something not right...maybe it is cost cutting as the airport must pay quite a lot for the feed and it would save a lot of money if not being used...not sure about flight safety though!!!!!!:=

N707ZS
24th Mar 2015, 22:08
Phone them up and ask them!

highwideandugly
25th Mar 2015, 07:50
I would but the phone line isn't working:ok:

purejets
25th Mar 2015, 09:06
DTVA use the SSR feed from Great Dun Fell radar on the Pennines. The radar has been taken out of service for planned maintenance - Expected back in use June 2015.
The PSR (The radar on the airfield) is fully working and is not leaking radiation, it's getting on a bit but still has some life left in it.

N707ZS
25th Mar 2015, 09:42
Thanks for sorting that out purejets. Nothing better than straight information to sort the knockers out on here.

Get me some traffic
25th Mar 2015, 19:25
Thought the agreement was if GDF was out for any length of time we'd get a feed from Claxby. Seem to remember the safety case being accepted by SRG. However, that was a long, long time ago!!

HeathrowDictator
25th Mar 2015, 19:39
GMST,

Good to see you active again buddy, long time no speak! I believe the Claxby was allowed whilst GDF was off for a significant length of time last time, but for some reason the goalposts have changed. I think they still have it available but it is the old "for information purposes ONLY". Must be annoying for the ATCOs and airlines alike as it impacts on service particularly in the VoY...get rid to the mil ASAP!

-HD-

Toadpool
26th Mar 2015, 10:19
It is correct that while the GDF SSR is out out service Teesside do have access to the Claxby SSR, which was used without incident for 9 months a couple of years ago.
Since then Teesside have moved from SaRGs central division to Northern. Apparently the senior inspector of the Northern division is not happy with the safety case that was used previously and will not allow the Claxby feed to be used.
It's obviously safer not to use SSR if the paperwork it not to this man's liking!:ugh:

Cautious Optimist
27th Mar 2015, 13:17
Yet more positive developments

Durham Tees Valley Airport bids for business boost (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/news/11881833.Durham_Tees_Valley_Airport_bids_for_business_boost/)

highwideandugly
28th Mar 2015, 16:40
Think you off the mark beefer.atc will ask the aircraft their height and the pilot will advise any change.
I suppose yes...the aircraft doesn't have to tell atc if he changes his height outside the airspace but would be prudent if other aircraft around?
If near the airport they have to keep atc informed?

Airport closed overnight so no need( /never has been)for 24/7 monitoring?

Finally. If SSR is available from claxby. It's a bit disconcerting that peel had the option to pay for that but chose not to? A real reduction in professional atc service?:confused:

SWBKCB
28th Mar 2015, 17:06
Regional Air Connectivity fund application submitted:

Durham TV - Belfast Links Air

Double daily return weekdays, single return Sunday 01/09/2015

Next stage is short list in May, with final decision in July.

N707ZS
28th Mar 2015, 18:08
Have Links got enough aircraft?

N707ZS
29th Mar 2015, 16:24
Something from the local rag, bit of electioneering from the local MP?

Plan to move a police helicopter from Teesside to Newcastle still up in the air (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/11887320.Plan_to_move_a_police_helicopter_from_Teesside_to_N ewcastle_still_up_in_the_air/)

SWBKCB
29th Mar 2015, 16:50
I thought the number of helicopters was being reduced, so it would go completely and not get moved?

SWBKCB
29th Mar 2015, 20:48
Beafer - I don't think you understand the purpose of airfield radar.

GrahamK
30th Mar 2015, 08:03
The AMS route appears safe now that KLM have chosen the replacement for the F70, the Embraer 175

kcockayne
30th Mar 2015, 10:30
Beafer

It is NOT the job of ATC to monitor aircraft heights - other than those to which it is controlling/providing an ATC service.
Nor does it keep an eye out for any "drugs runs" or other criminal activities.
Whether, or not, any other (non-ATC) agency does so, I do not know.

NorthSouth
30th Mar 2015, 11:33
if there is no DTV radar at night what stops people flying drugs around or coming across the north sea?The air defence radars at Brizlee Wood and Staxton Wold

tigertanaka
30th Mar 2015, 18:54
With the application to the regional connectivity fund for help in establishing a double daily to Belfast from MME, it seems that this route has been served before by BMI:

Passenger figures were as follows:

2003: 6,408
2004: 32,000
2005: 6,598

On the face of it, 32,000 a year doesn't seem bad for what potentially would have been a business orientated destination. Does anyone have any info on what planes they used, the frequency and why the route was pulled?

N707ZS
30th Mar 2015, 19:08
Those figures and Bmi don't sound right. Gill air and JEA sound more like it.

SWBKCB
30th Mar 2015, 19:09
bmiBaby, daily on the B737 - started in Nov 2003, dropped it in June 2005.

N707ZS
30th Mar 2015, 19:10
SWBKCB forgot they went to Belfast.

Cautious Optimist
31st Mar 2015, 01:29
Every time a route has had start-up funding it's been dropped once the funding has run out, what's to stop that from happening this time around assuming we're successful?

onion
31st Mar 2015, 14:56
CO, which routes have received the funding in the past?
If its routes like bmibaby to Belfast then its obvious that the aircraft was too large for the route on a single rotation a day. A J32 twice a day to Belfast is a different ball game as you would hope they would time it as a morning and early evening rotations. This would then cater for the business pax as well as the leisure/squaddie element. I do have somewhere the figures for the old Gill route to Belfast may have to dig them out. Generally that was flown by an ATR 42. I will have a look for them.

Cautious Optimist
31st Mar 2015, 16:00
Wizz Air was the prime example, at least one each of Ryanairs / Easterns old routes as well

GrahamK
3rd Apr 2015, 18:05
MOD flights seem to have restarted, BH Air A330 just about to land from Nairobi

SWBKCB
4th Apr 2015, 20:53
...and looks like Sycamore are back in the game - G-MONK inbound as MON757P.

Where will they put it - will it be in hangar 1 with the new GA?

Bradsim
4th Apr 2015, 21:14
Apparently going in H1 on Tuesday, however it is possible work will be carried out south side.

highwideandugly
5th Apr 2015, 08:33
CO. you were right to be a CO!! Sycamore,MOD Flights,bigger aircraft on schedules...don't suppose you know next weeks lottery numbers??:D

mmeman
5th Apr 2015, 09:23
Looks like back to J41 on the Aberdeen route on the Eastern Airways website from Tuesday..looking at the fire categories on the NOTAM's, I am not sure a Saab was planned to come (although it was on the website) I think you need CAT5 and was always CAT 4 last week at the Aberdeen scheduled times..

On the London City thread it says about a Saab operating for British Airways to Dusseldorf, has the Saab planned for here gone there instead?

Cautious Optimist
5th Apr 2015, 19:38
Seems the airport are unaware of any upgrade on the Eastern route, as mmeman says their website is showing a Jetstream again, so must have either been a typo or more likely tactics to warn off Flybe who's commercial director had publicly expressed interest in competing on the route.

SWBKCB
5th Apr 2015, 20:05
so must have either been a typo or more likely tactics to warn off Flybe who's commercial director had publicly expressed interest in competing on the route.

Really? Real interest or a response to the Facebook campaign?

Cautious Optimist
5th Apr 2015, 21:32
Both I think, can't find the article now but Flybe's commercial director went on record as saying they were considering it, despite axing Leeds-Aberdeen at around the same time because they can't compete with the more expensive Eastern.

N707ZS
7th Apr 2015, 15:08
Planes in hangar 2 might be better.

http://www.dtvmovements.co.uk/images/Imagesfromthepast/Page01.htm#5Y-A

EK77WNCL
8th Apr 2015, 01:21
So are the MOD flights back on? Bittersweet, I was looking forward to them at NCL, but I went down to MME on Sunday to see 'NK... Bloody hell it's depressing down their. Was there an ABZ flight? Because if there was I swear it had 1 pax... And the terminal was deserted, barriers up everywhere, not nice at all...

Beafer
13th Apr 2015, 14:56
This was in the local paper.
Have the plans for the 400 houses been submitted or left on the Peel shelf? Not taking off (From Darlington and Stockton Times) (http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/comment/letters/12873509.Not_taking_off/)

Bradsim
13th Apr 2015, 15:33
This was in the local paper.
Have the plans for the 400 houses been submitted or left on the Peel shelf? Not taking off (From Darlington and Stockton Times) (http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/comment/letters/12873509.Not_taking_off/)

Beafer that story was written by a man in redcar who clearly hasnt been kept up to date with info. Sycamore have restarted operations and would have done sooner if monarch had kept G-MONK servicible. According to FoDTVA and DTVmovements the housing developments is something to look out for in 2016.

SWBKCB
16th Apr 2015, 05:43
No - long gone.

LBIA
17th Apr 2015, 16:58
Bit of a kick in the back side for Durham Tees Valley. As the Local Football club has announced a new 2 year partnership with another Airport. http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/article/2014/middlesbrough-boro-leeds-bradford-airport-adam-clayton-2406279.aspx#bo9QpsZkKW6xWugl.99

Pain in the R's
17th Apr 2015, 17:51
A kick in the teeth by Middlesbrough FC and a fantastic result for Leeds Bradford Airport who know how to twist the knife into Durham Tees Valley. It will be a sight to see when the local football team are covered in the logos of Leeds Bradford

It is like Luton Town being in partnership with Stansted.

highwideandugly
17th Apr 2015, 17:53
Disgusting...why have Peel allowed this??
What are the PR guys doing?:confused:

Cautious Optimist
17th Apr 2015, 18:19
highwide...what do you mean why have Peel allowed this?? It's a private deal between LBA and MFC, therefore they've probably read it in the press like the rest of us? What could they have done??

It is embarrassing though and you can't help but wonder if this is MFC taking revenge over the wind turbine incident a couple of months ago.

N707ZS
17th Apr 2015, 18:38
At the end of the day we aren't actually losing anything as we have got nothing to offer in the first place! If anything Newcastle is losing.

highwideandugly
17th Apr 2015, 18:41
Ok...maybe a little harsh blaming peel..but what message does this send out to the average.."boro" punter?
It seems peel do need to give their PR guys a kick up the proverbial and start doing something to promote the airport as a going concern and not just a microlight or parachute centre,not get gazumped by of all paces a second rate airport like LBIA!! :ugh:

ILS32
17th Apr 2015, 19:37
highwideandugly I bet you just wish DTV was a second rate airport like the LBA

SWBKCB
17th Apr 2015, 20:02
It is unbelievable that DTVA were unaware that MFC we talking to LBA about a deal, but to be honest what do they have to offer against LBA.

It would have been a bit of a poisoned chalice for NCL, given the local rivalries - bit safer for Leeds, this bit did make me giggle our luxury Yorkshire Premier Lounge :O

For a Championship club, MFC do fly out of DTVA quite a lot - usually on Eastern - wonder if this deal will have an impact?

N707ZS
17th Apr 2015, 23:02
Don't think this has anything to do with the team travel or the fans if they ever go to another cup. At least they flew on Eastern and won tonight.

glans tomlinson
17th Apr 2015, 23:12
Nice kick in the teeth for the NV workers who stayed on an extra two hours for the Boro team plane from Norwich just landed on flight radar.!!! :D

Beafer
17th Apr 2015, 23:23
This is what the local Middlesbrough paper has to say about it.
Boro kick off two-year Leeds Bradford Airport deal with exclusive offers for fans - Gazette Live (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/business/business-news/boro-leeds-bradford-official-airport-9068011)
I wonder if anyone from the club approached Peel and maybe Peel weren't interested like the Thomson saga. Has anyone from the airport commented on this news or is it still being discussed down at the lodge?

tigertanaka
18th Apr 2015, 13:19
Lets get a bit of perspective on this. LBA want to attract holidaymakers living in the Teesside area into using their airport over NCL. MME is not presently a viable option as we are all aware.

At no point does this say that Middlesbrough will be using LBA for their flights and in fact they flew back to MME last night after winning at Watford. If Boro get promotion, it will probably be beneficial for MME with more overseas visitors (mainly foreign media) going to games at the Riverside.

N707ZS
18th Apr 2015, 14:07
tigertanaka, a number of premiership teams already arrive in the region at DTVA as they prefer the hotels down hear before a game at Sunderland or Newcastle. At one point the Sunderland owner used to fly into DTVA for the Sunderland games.

Cautious Optimist
18th Apr 2015, 14:41
A lot of the teams that play at Newcastle fly in to us and only get picked up at NCL, we've always done well with football flights.

As tigertanaka suggests, it isn't going to hurt passenger numbers, it's just downright embarrassing.

Robert-Ryan
18th Apr 2015, 14:43
There has been a noticeable reduction in flights by Aviation Beauport, who Steve Gibson is well known to use, since the turbine fiasco.

The Flying Stool
19th Apr 2015, 00:16
Turbine issues?can you tell us more?

SWBKCB
19th Apr 2015, 05:48
Riverside Stadium wind turbine developer set to launch multi-million pound legal action against Durham Tees Valley Airport - Gazette Live (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/riverside-stadium-wind-turbine-developer-8356542)

See post 422 also

mmeman
19th Apr 2015, 20:04
Like the tweet from the airport - proud to welcome Boro back late on Friday to their local airport after their win at Norwich! :D

Jamesair
19th Apr 2015, 21:27
Looks like Premier League again next season with plenty of money for charter flights to fixtures.

VentureGo
19th Apr 2015, 22:05
Could this support for LBA be partly due to ongoing dispute with Middlesbrough FC & Wind Turbine?

Boro kick off two-year Leeds Bradford Airport deal with exclusive offers for fans - Gazette Live (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/business/business-news/boro-leeds-bradford-official-airport-9068011)

N707ZS
20th Apr 2015, 05:56
Its groundhog day!

sam dilly
22nd Apr 2015, 15:44
for you spotters out there the Lourdes Flights are on 22 + 29 May
Both are full so 302 passengers through MME
22nd May
The Titan 757
Ferry from STN 07.30 depart 09.00
The Denim F100
Ferry from BHX 07.45 depart 09.15
29th May
Both arriving 13.15 +/-
Pity its not like this every Friday morning.

skyman771
23rd Apr 2015, 20:42
for you spotters out there the Lourdes Flights
The Titan 757 & The Denim F100 WOW !!!
Pity its not like this every Friday morning. Really ?;)

SWBKCB
25th Apr 2015, 05:40
Teesside skydiving firm Skydive St George announce expansion plans - and new jobs - Gazette Live (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/business/business-news/teesside-skydiving-firm-skydive-st-9104198)

Beafer
25th Apr 2015, 15:14
Peel have been blocked from building 600 houses in another council area.
Are they waiting for a new government before applying to build on DTV Airport land?
I thought the house building was the main part of their Master Plan.
Government BLOCKS Peel Group's controversial Worsley Greenway plan for 600 homes - Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/worsley-greenway-peel-group-blocked-8932233)

SWBKCB
25th Apr 2015, 15:26
Apart from the same company being involved what's the connection between the two developments?

N707ZS
25th Apr 2015, 16:11
The only connection is Beafer, must be too wet to walk the poodle today!
Development work is proceeding slowly up at the airport.

N707ZS
26th Apr 2015, 17:00
They have been working for months.

SWBKCB
26th Apr 2015, 18:01
I think Beafer meant doing what?!

N707ZS
26th Apr 2015, 18:13
Ground preparation on the North side, amazed he hasn't seen them.

N707ZS
30th Apr 2015, 15:24
Looks like the start of the Southside road groundwork's.

You don't half spend some time trawling the net for rubbish Beafer, anything in the Dandy or Beano?

N707ZS
1st May 2015, 07:17
Been on the Piiiis Beafer or is your keyboard stuck?

Trolling well pot kettle black comes to mind!

SWBKCB
7th May 2015, 05:40
Bit quiet so a couple of recent stories:

https://bdaily.co.uk/environment/06-05-2015/durham-tees-valley-airport-controversy-escalates-as-2000-signature-petition-takes-off/

Teesside air show returns - and here's what you can see (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/12933585.Teesside_air_show_returns___and_here_s_what_you_can _see/)

N707ZS
7th May 2015, 06:21
Andy Preston the guy who uses his parents house as his postal address whilst living in a mansion at Thirsk!

SWBKCB
13th May 2015, 15:31
Passenger numbers continue to fall at Durham Tees Valley Airport (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/news/12944138.Passenger_numbers_continue_to_fall_at_Durham_Tees_V alley_Airport/)

Cautious Optimist
13th May 2015, 16:54
The Echo have twisted those figures a bit, passenger numbers were up last month, only being down on the Aberdeen, why compare March to March? Something to do with the financial year? I thought annual passenger numbers were based on January to December?

Good to see the airport giving a lengthy and detailed quote for a change though, instead of just the usual couple of lines.

highwideandugly
13th May 2015, 17:13
I think that was the best month to quote as I'm sure the previous two months the airport figures were down.....and also the KLM Amsterdam figures? I might be wrong?

It's still not looking encouraging though which ever spin /month/day/route/plan you put on it?:{

adfly
13th May 2015, 17:37
That is what all airports do! As each month has different levels of demand so it makes to best comparison to show the figures against the same month in the previous year.

SWBKCB
13th May 2015, 17:44
It's also the way the CAA present the stats - don't expect a journo to actually have done any analysis themselves??

Cautious Optimist
13th May 2015, 17:55
adfly - I get that, but they're not comparing this March to the previous March, they're comparing the 12 months starting in March and finishing in March which I found odd? An airports annual passenger numbers are the ones between January - December, not March - March?

SWBKCB
13th May 2015, 18:30
The CAA present the stats on a rolling year basis - see below...

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data_prov/201503/March_2015_Provisional_Airport_Statistics.pdf

adfly
13th May 2015, 20:53
I see, I presume that will be financial year related then.

NorthSouth
14th May 2015, 17:00
No, it's so you can continuously compare the year to date with the previous year. Annual figures are useful because they average out all the month-to-month variations.

Nothing to do with financial years.

SWBKCB
14th May 2015, 18:04
Actual numbers:

AMSTERDAM 9,243 8,754 5.59
ABERDEEN 2,488 3,025 -17.75

N707ZS
15th May 2015, 20:35
With the trains on strike anyone fancy chartering some planes to go to Wembley?

compton3bravo
16th May 2015, 05:27
I am sure if Jet2, Eastern, Titan etc have any spare aircraft on the day they would be happy to oblige. Luton would be the obvious choice as no chance of getting into Heathrow. A number of teams supporters have done it before including Blackpool and Sunderland.

skyman771
16th May 2015, 16:31
Have you never heard of coaches ??
Obviously much more cost effective and in any event no one fly's direct to Wembly, so a coach is required in any event :ugh:
..A number of teams supporters have done it before including Blackpool and Sunderland.
Yes correct, low volume, high cost, executive packages!!

highwideandugly
2nd Jun 2015, 10:28
hi guys

Just checking to see if the airport is still open?

16 th May was the last input...obviously a hive of rumours and activity at the strip!!:)

TSR2
2nd Jun 2015, 10:43
Just checking to see if the airport is still open?

Sure is ....... and there are three more departures today :rolleyes:

LEEDS APPROACH
2nd Jun 2015, 20:25
The Middlesbrough to Northallerton line is in tier 1 for electrification (ie round about 2020). When it is complete it will take the train about 35 to 40 minutes to Leeds East Airport about 5 minutes more than it takes presently to get from Darlington to Leeds East Airport. So Leeds East Airport can potentially offer the people of Teesside a very quick alternative to taking the weekly train to Teesside Airport.

N707ZS
2nd Jun 2015, 22:16
ie round about 2020 is the word. Everything has been promised for 2020 as with vision I think we will need Specsavers!

They would be better re-instating the track curve at Darlington and electrifying the line past the airport.

pug
2nd Jun 2015, 22:49
Leeds approach, not content with filling the LBA thread with rubbish, now does so on the MME one. The mind does boggle. Are you in the pocket of a certain Mr Makin or something?

LEEDS APPROACH
3rd Jun 2015, 09:08
Leeds approach, not content with filling the LBA thread with rubbish, now does so on the MME one. The mind does boggle. Are you in the pocket of a certain Mr Makin or something?

I don't want to deviate from the Teesside thread but of course I am not in any way connected to Mr Makin. The only link between him and me is that we can see what an incredible prospect Leeds East Airport is.

What rubbish have I stated about Tees rail connection times then? The vast majority of Humberside, East Yorkshire and Teesside folk would agree that LEA will hugely help their travelling aspirations.

I challenge you pug to get behind this fantastic Yorkshire prospect.

Beafer
3rd Jun 2015, 09:50
Instead of waiting until 2020 the current accounts paint a worrying picture of the DTV ship being steered by Peel.
Director changes shown are probably due to council elections.
Looking at the figures it was more efficiently run when the councils owned it.

Current accounts show. Net worth £-1,275,566 Liabilities £7,199,867

DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT LIMITED. Free business summary taken from official Companies House information. Free Alerts. Registered as 02020423 (http://companycheck.co.uk/company/02020423/DURHAM-TEES-VALLEY-AIRPORT-LIMITED/company-summary)

pug
3rd Jun 2015, 09:57
Perhaps I'm being unfair to Makin, he is not intending to build an international airport at Church Fenton, I have that through people involved in GA in the area who know the man. He IS thankfully attempting to create a viable GA facility with many other potential non aviation revenue streams being explored.

You will have to face facts that no investor would plough money in to Church Fenton to the degree that you are fantasising about, there are too many stakeholders involved in the current Yorkshire/Humber setup for that to ever happen.

I fully support Mr Makin, as I fully believe that central Yorkshire needs a proper fully capable GA airfield for Biz-jets, training and club flying.. But an international/intercontinental airport it is not and never will be.

As for MME, whilst Peel call the shots, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything to change.

blackbeard1
3rd Jun 2015, 10:14
Compares quite favorably with DSA
Cash £606,781 Net Worth £-39,741,735 Assets £2,851,873 Liabilities £13,103,275

Read more at: DONCASTER SHEFFIELD AIRPORT LIMITED. Free business summary taken from official Companies House information. Free Alerts. Registered as 03693604 (http://companycheck.co.uk/company/03693604/DONCASTER-SHEFFIELD-AIRPORT-LIMITED)

SWBKCB
3rd Jun 2015, 15:30
He IS thankfully attempting to create a viable GA facility with many other potential non aviation revenue streams being explored.

He's been reading the MME Masterplan!

Cautious Optimist
3rd Jun 2015, 22:31
I know it's been quiet lately but is this the best we can churn out on this thread?

R.e. the accounts - yes not great but there aren't many airports that are better!! I believe we're up at the top of the league or thereabouts?

GAXLN
4th Jun 2015, 05:53
Near the top of the league? Of losses per passenger possibly but there are many airports with a far better financial performance. This performance and it also looks Doncaster's are not great and support the theory of too many airports and not enough passengers or income to support them all.

skyman771
5th Jun 2015, 16:40
This performance and it also looks Doncaster's are not great and support the theory of too many airports and not enough passengers or income to support them all.
Supports my theory though, i.e. Peel couldn't run a booze up in a brewery !

Cautious optimist
Nice try!:D, good to see not many taking bait, perhaps you need to resume your original ID :- DTVAirport ;)

Beafer
5th Jun 2015, 19:52
Peel have gone very quiet about the main part of the Master Plan (building houses). I haven't heard from Peels Robert spokesman for a while?

In light of the poor DTV financial accounts shown above and reducing pax numbers each year, can DTV Movements or Cautious Optimiser explain Who or what is going to fund the airport rebuilding etc without any money in the bank or houses being built?
Just curious. :confused:

SWBKCB
5th Jun 2015, 21:08
Beefer - remind me what Peel's main business is? If money is needed to earn a penny, sure it'll be found from somewhere else in the group.

One reason for not getting too excited by the accounts is it's relatively easy to shunt profit/debt around between different companies in the same group - look what happened at Blackpool!

blackbeard1
5th Jun 2015, 21:52
Who is Peel Holdings? Some years ago the Indi ran a story "The biggest company you have never heard of" The biggest company you've never heard of: Lifting the lid on Peel Group - the property firm owned by reclusive tax exile John Whittaker - Home News - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-biggest-company-youve-never-heard-of-lifting-the-lid-on-peel-group--the-property-firm-owned-by-reclusive-tax-exile-john-whittaker-8890201.html)

SWBKCB
6th Jun 2015, 19:25
Has Victor been let out? Seriously, the last thing the airport needs...

SWBKCB
6th Jun 2015, 19:35
The same Bradley Gosney?

Bradley?s got his eyes on skies at airport - Blackpool Gazette (http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/business/local-business/bradley-s-got-his-eyes-on-skies-at-airport-1-7107921)

highwideandugly
6th Jun 2015, 19:41
at last something to shout about!! The future looks bright at last with a new airline and destinations the Teesside public really want and will support!

This could be the start of something big and give the North East an airport to be proud of.

Yes..ok...nurse,I'm coming......:cool:

EK77WNCL
6th Jun 2015, 19:47
Quality outfit there, must say. Often with these pipe dream startups you find sketchy and flawed business plans, dodgy or unfinished websites with poor graphics, bad spelling, awkward grammar and an uncomfortable urge to convey a sense of professionalism which it is inevitably and tragically lacking... But no I found none of that. See you on the first flight to Blackpool :ok:

Wonder if they'll serve MME-NCL on account of the poor train service? Gotta be good for 10/20 people a week

N707ZS
6th Jun 2015, 19:54
Our news hound Beafer didn't spot this one. Do the 717s still operate out of Humberside?

airhumberside
7th Jun 2015, 15:26
Do the 717s still operate out of Humberside?
No. BA Cityflyer do the jetXtra charters now with Embraer's

N707ZS
7th Jun 2015, 17:05
They cannot even spell Teesside properly they only have one s.

Thanks airhumberside.

Beafer
10th Jun 2015, 10:51
Its nearly 2 years since Peel made this announcement and plan. What do Peel think of their plan since then?

Durham Tees Valley Airport master plan ready for take off (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10723027.Durham_Tees_Valley_Airport_master_plan_ready_for_ta ke_off/)

Cautious Optimist
14th Jun 2015, 19:32
I was delighted to hear KLM have opened an engineering base at DTVA as of last Tuesday. Good news!

Skipness One Echo
14th Jun 2015, 21:31
I was delighted to hear KLM have opened an engineering base at DTVA as of last Tuesday. Good news!
Go on........

Cautious Optimist
14th Jun 2015, 23:06
Skipness One Echo what do you mean "Go on........"? If you want me to elaborate all I can suggest is having on-site engineering is a massive attraction for potential operators of all kinds.

Skipness One Echo
14th Jun 2015, 23:40
As in a man in van to cover engineering for the existing operation or an attempt to do third party maintenance with perhaps a hangar like they do at Norwich?

Engineering cover is not a "massive attraction" it's an essential! If they're bringing it in house, who used to do it?

davidjohnson6
15th Jun 2015, 00:39
Would someone be able to point me to a source which mentions KLM opening something connected with engineering at DTVA ? Google doesn't have anything on this and (like Skipness), I'd like to understand better what exactly has opened

GrahamK
15th Jun 2015, 07:28
You'd think something like that would attract at least some press, so I'm afraid until I see a link, then I remain very sceptical...

highwideandugly
15th Jun 2015, 11:53
According to sources KLM Have moved their engineering base from Newcastle to DTV.. great news as any inward business must be good!!
Hopefully this is a sign of increased KLM activity and flights and sits in nicely with the master plan,which seems slowly but surely as being successful!! :ok:

Cautious Optimist
15th Jun 2015, 12:58
Thank you highwideandugly! Why people can't just accept good news is beyond me.

I do not know if it's man in a van or something more exotic, I've not heard of any previous company leaving so I assume it's in addition to what was in place prior. As for press, it may not have been announced yet, after all, Sycamore were on site for well over a year before they got announced, but it started last Tuesday so it cannot be dismissed as rumour!! :ugh:

EK77WNCL
15th Jun 2015, 16:58
KLM had an engineering base at NCL??? Learn something new everyday

But NCL sees Boeings and Embraers and no Fokkers, whereas MME sees Fokkers and no Boeings and Embraers...

SWBKCB
15th Jun 2015, 17:15
KLM do line engineering at most of their UK destinations, with MME being an exception up to now - at a guess the guys based at Newcastle have been asked to cover MME as well if it isn't a separate unit.

I'd be surprised if it is an actual shift of base from NCL, purely on the number of flights per day at NCL (would expect the engineers would cover all the short haul types, so don't think that would come into it)

Skipness One Echo
15th Jun 2015, 19:26
So there's no story is there, KLM are simply covering MME with NCL based staff I bet. If this is your saviour, well it's all very straw clutching.

Btw Ryanair have a new four bay hangar at PIK and just screwed the airport over to move half the operation to GLA. Base LAME cover is not the reason airlines are not flooding into MME(!)

So Cautious Optimist is actually DTV Airport with a new name? #odd

SWBKCB
15th Jun 2015, 19:54
It may not be much but as by far and away the airports major airline customer, any sign that KLM are looking to consolidate their presence at MME is to be welcomed (in a cautiously optimistic manner!).

Anyway, at the moment we're making bricks out of straw as there isn't really much solid info.

Logohu
15th Jun 2015, 21:41
I do not know if it's man in a van or something more exotic

Maybe its just me but I'm struggling to think what could possibly be more exotic than a man in a van :ooh:

As for press, it may not have been announced yet

Yes I can't wait to see how the media covers this one. I don't think I've seen so much pent up excitement on here since the terminal cafe got a new pie warmer :rolleyes:

Cautious Optimist
16th Jun 2015, 05:57
The key words were 'move' and 'base' so I doubt it's the NCL guys covering DTVA as well, but I will try and clarify the exact nature of last Tuesdays KLM start-up.

So Cautious Optimist is actually DTV Airport with a new name? #odd
See post #541

Skipness, I'm at a loss as to why you and others are so desperate to shoot down a little bit of positive - even if only minor - news?? Do you really hate DTVA that much??

GrahamK
16th Jun 2015, 06:33
Cautious, I don't think anyone hates DTVA, far from it. I just think folk are more realistic than what you're giving them credit for. If the KL engineering base/van has moved from NCL to MME, it makes no sense whatsoever, given the lower frequency and single a/c type used to MME. But I suppose strange things have happened before...

Cautious Optimist
16th Jun 2015, 07:05
I know realistic when I read it and this ain't it. Sarcasm is more accurate I would say. :rolleyes:

GrahamK
16th Jun 2015, 07:16
Sarcasm would be EK and UA moving their NCL ops to DTVA ;)

How is the Airshow coming along? I believe the Swedish Historic Flight are now planned?

clarkieboy
16th Jun 2015, 10:28
The KLM F70 requires weekly checks now and again, because this is scheduled maintenance it requires more back-up than a man in a van. Hence KLM uk have taken an office at MME. It will be manned from NCL. That's it in a nutshell.

mmeman
17th Jun 2015, 22:18
Surprised no one has mentioned this yet ;)

8.5% increase in passengers for May 2015 compared to May 2014! AMS up 6%but ABZ still down.

dgutte
26th Jun 2015, 08:06
Groupon has discounted tickets today for the airshow:

All Teesside Deals | Groupon (http://www.groupon.co.uk/browse/middlesbrough)

Robert-Ryan
30th Jun 2015, 12:46
Anyone know why Tees Valley Unlimited have deferred the £5m grant for the new access road?

highwideandugly
30th Jun 2015, 17:29
Groupon discounted tickets? Ok I will be accused of negativity but the current published line up is..well..appalling! They may have to discount further because with the best will in the world...it's not going to be very exciting..unless someone knows otherwise?:confused:

Cautious Optimist
1st Jul 2015, 01:57
As an air show line-up, it is poor yes, but having met with the organisers a couple of weeks back, it became clear that they've put maximum effort in and achieved all they can in the time they've had, for that they deserve full credit :D

If I was to pick fault, I would suggest they should have spent 16 months planning a 2016 event rather than four months rushing a 2015 one, or at the very least called it an Open Day or something other than an Air Show.

There are still more aircraft to be announced yet, and they've already started planning next years event which should be a belter as they should get RAF and other military assets etc.

This year was always a case of let's crawl before we walk, but no doubt there will be plenty of backlash.

highwideandugly
1st Jul 2015, 10:08
yes good points Cautious...you should have been advising!

The fear is the backlash..which will come and the "yet again" negative publicity surrounding the airport, does nothing to help the long term aims and ambitions of those that really care about the airport?:ugh:

If that's all there is..and probably wont be much more now..will people be refunded? Fishburn on a sunny day would be more exciting!

I remember the original air shows...which had to be interrupted to let the Tridents and schedules in..that's not even an added bonus now!

Cautious Optimist
1st Jul 2015, 23:01
Surprised no-one has picked up on this:

£10m scheme set to open up south side of Durham Tees Valley Airport for development - Gazette Live (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/10m-scheme-set-open-up-9568224)

P330
2nd Jul 2015, 05:53
Can anyone post the flying programme for the air show please?

N707ZS
2nd Jul 2015, 06:53
Cautious Optimist, interesting to note Beafer didn't pick it up, must be dog walking.

Upside Peel to put 5 million in.

N707ZS
9th Jul 2015, 21:49
I noticed the groundwork's crew on the site of the old hangar 5 have gone into overdrive this week with loads more machines. They're digging up any bits of concrete and feeding them into a crusher.

Robert-Ryan
25th Jul 2015, 00:04
Heard Peel have [finally] submitted an application for planning permission for the south side access road yesterday, can anyone confirm?

SWBKCB
26th Jul 2015, 09:12
Yes - case number 15/00677/FUL on the Darlington Council website. Appears to have been submitted earlier in the month.

PDoddy
27th Jul 2015, 08:03
Airport news release re the planning application was actually issued on July 2nd--it's on the website

N707ZS
28th Jul 2015, 15:38
Where's Beafer when you want a planning application link.

davidjohnson6
29th Jul 2015, 00:39
3 years ago, when CAA stats showed MME to have about 180,000 pax on a rolling 12 months, I thought time was up for MME and I'd better book myself a last flight before commercial air transport was moved solely to Newcastle.

Rolling year pax figures are now about 141,000 - and show a slight decline over the previous 12 months, despite the economy right now seeming to be in reasonably good health.

Peel are a commercial organisation, not a charity. So what's keeping MME open and still operational as an airport ?

SWBKCB
29th Jul 2015, 05:37
The potential for developing the surplus land.

Beafer
29th Jul 2015, 12:15
Beafer is watching from the sidelines waiting for the houses to go up :cool:

N707ZS
29th Jul 2015, 16:14
Thought you had fallen off of your perch!;)

Cautious Optimist
29th Jul 2015, 18:13
3 years ago, when CAA stats showed MME to have about 180,000 pax on a rolling 12 months, I thought time was up for MME and I'd better book myself a last flight before commercial air transport was moved solely to Newcastle.

Rolling year pax figures are now about 141,000 - and show a slight decline over the previous 12 months, despite the economy right now seeming to be in reasonably good health.

Peel are a commercial organisation, not a charity. So what's keeping MME open and still operational as an airport ?

The potential for developing the surplus land.
Emphasis on the word surplus.

The land is more valuable to them with an active and vibrant airport on it, so it's in their interests to put the effort in. At the end of the day they're well aware it would be a lot more profitable for them in the short term to just shut the place and save themselves four million per year, no-one is forcing them to inject that money. Like them or loathe them, without Peel we wouldn't have an airport today.

My only gripe these days is the bureaucracy and red tape, which is the only reason I can think of that it's taken from November 2013 (launch of the master plan) to July 2015 to apply for the first bit of planning permission. Then again, having worked for two local authorities in my time, I can say they're not even that bad when it comes to bureaucracy and red tape either!!

SWBKCB
29th Jul 2015, 19:44
Would imagine the delay is also due to seeking the match funding from Government for the south side link road.

While agreeing the gist of CO's comments, there is also a more cynical view - having an active airport will make it easier for them to get planning permission for a big sheds for "aviation related activity".

Then what happens, big sheds built but nobody wants them - We've tried our best nobody wants them, can we ease the planning restriction to "general use"?

Cautious Optimist
29th Jul 2015, 21:05
My understanding is they're not building them until they have tenants in place.

N707ZS
29th Jul 2015, 22:30
Hangar 1 is overrun with light aircraft there is not enough space for them now amongst the jet spare parts. A new general aviation hangar is desperately needed now.

Bradsim
30th Jul 2015, 06:37
Or make Sycamore move out of hangar 1 so more GA can move in. This would let Sycamore move into a new hangar southside which I believe they are due to do so.

Nfield750
7th Aug 2015, 18:26
As one who lives between LGW & LHR a trip to MME in April was beyond belief. I have seen some quiet airports but MME surely cannot remain open on a couple of KLM flights a day. The place is - literally with sycamore being there - a morgue. Depressing and horrible. And a death yard for some.:sad:

highwideandugly
7th Aug 2015, 20:16
Nfield750..all of this has been covered.yes you are right as far airports go its a morgue..or maybe intensive care with a glimmer of hope?
We all doubt Peels intentions(I think) to retain the airport as a going concern.
Its the land and always has been ,the land they are after.
The UK economy is starting to revive ..the DTV aviation side is not..so maybe they are right and we are living in hope?

A gambling man would say the airport will not be here in a few years time..or maybe not in its present format.
KLM will continue to operate as long as it stays open and it doesn't start costing them money.
Eastern who knows..they are not the happiest bunch and Aberdeen is treading water at the mo.
Passenger figures will be down again this year to 1970 ish levels..not good ?:ugh:

Cautious Optimist
7th Aug 2015, 22:04
Eden Flight Training have announced they're starting up at Durham Tees Valley Airport today.

Their website shows PA-28 G-FLAV which is currently registered to the Bagby Bodger plus an unknown PA-38.

Their website also has a couple of ridiculous statements, such as "We are the only Approved Training Organisation (by the Civil Aviation Authority) in the North East of England" - I don't think you are pal!! Also "It is our philosophy to bring affordable flight training in a safe, professional and friendly environment back to Durham Tees Valley Airport." - The others are very reasonable as well??!!

highwideandugly
8th Aug 2015, 20:05
See Newcastle are taking a lot of MOD flights recently..thought we had them back? Over to you cautious op. !!

I know we try to be positive..but really nothing at all to shout about?

Not sure who is looking for business....and do we really want them????:confused:

Cautious Optimist
8th Aug 2015, 23:00
Not sure, the airport "found a way to make them work" in line with the new business model, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean the MoD liked it?

Newcastle always had MoD flights of their own. Perhaps it's just a case of there are next-to-none now that Afghan / Iraq are over and done with?

VentureGo
16th Aug 2015, 12:05
Durham Tees Valley Airport development revealed | Insider Media (http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/north-east/145369-durham-tees-valley-airport-development-revealed/)

N707ZS
16th Aug 2015, 12:22
Interesting! Lets hope it comes off.

highwideandugly
16th Aug 2015, 17:42
Oh well...here we go again.

How many times have we seen this sort of announcement...don't hold your breath but we all watch with interest...

Cautious Optimist
17th Aug 2015, 00:54
Despite being an optimist even I know to believe it when I see it, though I remain confident.

In other news (and I'll leave it to others to decide whether this is bad or good), it appears we lost Gordon Wilson Microlights (aka Crash Gordon!) to Fishburn yesterday

Cautious Optimist
17th Aug 2015, 17:44
Skylive just announced the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight Draken and Viggen on both static and flying displays to replace the Gnat Display Team who understandably have had to pull out.

highwideandugly
22nd Aug 2015, 14:55
another tragic event at an air show today..our thoughts go out to all involved.

Wonder if recent events will impact on all future historic aircraft displays at all air shows?

On a separate note,latest notam from DTV advise limited ATC services on Sunday..schedules not affected!
Not the most professional and inspiring announcement for an airport trying to 'go forward' ..?:ugh:

highwideandugly
24th Aug 2015, 14:14
New restrictions just announced by the CAA regarding flights by historic jets,especially Hunters(which are grounded for now).

To be expected and quite right.
Not sure what impact this will have for the 29th?

Cautious Optimist
24th Aug 2015, 18:05
It's not "quite right" at all, after the crash at Farnborough Air Show in the 50s where 20+ were killed, they cleaned up the bodies and the wreckage and continued the show as if nothing had happened. Obviously, in this day and age, that would be completely unacceptable, but the point I'm trying to make is the CAA have over-reacted.

The show will continue as planned, it will still be a hell of a day out for Joe Public, it's mainly the likes of us that will be left a little underwhelmed.

In better news, the application for public funding for a Durham Tees Valley - Belfast City route with Links Air has made it to the next stage, we find out in November whether or not we've been successful.

highwideandugly
24th Aug 2015, 18:28
Sorry CO. You have lost the plot a little..it is quite right.In the aftermath caution has to be at the foremost..a lot of innocent people with no real interest or knowledge in or of aviation ,have lost their lives..hundreds more have been affected..questions have to be asked..and if it means a disruption to a small insignificant aeronautical display in the NE of England..and many other similar events..then so be it?

Well let's hope the Teesside ' Joe Public' as you put it enjoy their day out .
Over reaction...possibly, but a period of respect and rememberence must be allowed.

Cautious Optimist
24th Aug 2015, 18:35
Highwide, I can assure you I have not lost the plot, and I'm not disputing anything you have said about innocent people losing their lives / being affected, and my heart goes out to all of them.

There's an undercurrent of 'airport bashing' in your tone, and personally I think that's your real intent.

It's certainly not insignificant.

highwideandugly
24th Aug 2015, 19:30
Sorry which bashing of which airport? I'm talking about the dreadful events of the weekend..not any airport?
I'm talking about all airshows.

I said a small air show in the NE is of no real importance at the present time to the majority of people?
Enjoy your day out..:ugh:

Good news as you said about the Belfast route..fingers crossed.

Simplythebeast
24th Aug 2015, 20:48
With all the talk of flying a display in close proximity to roads after the Shoreham accident, I wonder how the CAA will feel about display flying with a railway passing the threshold of the runway at DTV?

virginblue
24th Aug 2015, 20:58
In better news, the application for public funding for a Durham Tees Valley - Belfast City route with Links Air has made it to the next stage.

"Public funding" is giving this a rather optimistic spin. Isn't the funding limited to reduced landing/handling fees and thus in the grand scheme of things just a drop in the ocean? Every little bit helps, of course, but we are not talking about PSO-style subsidies.

highwideandugly
25th Aug 2015, 16:14
Four days to go!! Weather looking good..maybe not the best display planned,but under the circumstances..ok for a start?

On Local news last night that 6000 tickets have been sold,with another 10000 available..not sure what,if anything is break even..or even what is expected? Never mind better than the Boro average crowd!!

Re the Belfast possibility..wonder where this fits into Peels master plan? Did they look and say..Oh no...or did they think..yep. Let's go for it..add the extra staff needed and see wher it takes us? Time will tell.

Any other news ? Cobhams seem pretty busy considering they have pulled out...Sycamore very quiet,para guys very busy,figures still down( but mainly due ABZ route crumbling due oil prices crumbling( or should that be leaking),
On the whole it seems like status quo,but I beg to be shot down!

SWBKCB
25th Aug 2015, 16:25
Re the Belfast possibility..wonder where this fits into Peels master plan? Did they look and say..Oh no...or did they think..yep. Let's go for it..add the extra staff needed and see wher it takes us? Time will tell.

My understanding of the Regional fund application is that it has to be initiated by the airport with an airline partner, so hopefully it does fit in with the MasterPlan (or are Peel so devious they will promote a service in the hope that it will fail and then say "look, we can't even operate flights with a Government subsidy"... :suspect::E)

Would it require any/many extra staff??

N707ZS
25th Aug 2015, 21:39
Cobham haven't pulled out, where did you get that from?

Sycamore is very busy, again where did you get that from?

What extra staff are needed for a J31? Its about time DTVA got some money for routes, other airports have had thousands over the years.

Only thing that's pulled out is Beafer!

GrahamK
26th Aug 2015, 19:07
Skylive cancelled :(

Toadpool
26th Aug 2015, 19:12
https://www.facebook.com/skyliveevents/posts/1607351192864870?fref=nf

LEEDS APPROACH
26th Aug 2015, 19:36
Ideal location to catch the Vulcan.

Simplythebeast
26th Aug 2015, 19:44
Not at all surprised at that news, I would imagine they are more than happy to cancel what would have been a loss making event and Shoreham has presented them with a great reason to do so and withdraw quietly.
They mention that new CAA regs would seriously affect two performances, the Vulcan and the swedish Historic flight.
The Vulcan display would not have been affected as it is not considered to be aerobatic so that leaves only the Swedes that would have been affected.
It was never going to happen as it was ill thought out and very poorly advertised from day one.

Bradsim
26th Aug 2015, 21:15
Technically its not cancelled it postponed till the 28th of May which hopefully give them time to get a better line up, a greatly improved advertising campaign and a website that actually works!

Cautious Optimist
26th Aug 2015, 22:55
They're going to have to put on a show second-to-none in May to restore faith and trust.

I'm just glad that (up to now) the general public appear to be understanding more than angry and realise it's Skylive to be held responsible and not Durham Tees Valley Airport.

jetstar.8
27th Aug 2015, 05:51
I would be surprised if it went ahead in May 2016

After all it was announceded on the 1st of April that they would be a Airshow on 29 Agust 2015 at DTVA

P330
27th Aug 2015, 09:09
According to BBC this morning, air shows across the country are going ahead this weekend with the exception of Durham.

Given there was so little flying, I can't help but think this is a convenient reason to cancel. Only yesterday I saw the Red Arrows perform brilliantly and the Dartmouth event just around the corner from me on holiday goes ahead with a full plan this weekend.

Such a shame. It may not be DTVA that is responsible, but DTVA have an uncanny knack of partnering with organisations that fail to deliver....

Let's hope it's 3rd time lucky for next year!

N707ZS
27th Aug 2015, 09:54
Someone might be able to explain better about the first air show attempt last year!

highwideandugly
27th Aug 2015, 11:37
Nothing those without blinkers didn't expect.
Social media having a field day and as usual DTV is associated with bad press.
Lots of official excuses being rolled out..but the real truth is ?

From all reports,organisation was poor,aircraft on show was poor,ticket sales poor,prices too high and sponsors too few..look forward to next years event.
I feel it's disingenuous and rather sad to blame it all on the CAA and new guidelines.

Someone said there are 11 other airshows planned for the weekend...that must tell us something?
Maybe Sunderland have got it right?

Robert-Ryan
27th Aug 2015, 12:27
The will was there, Skylive would have seen the event through and it would probably have been a very good day, but I've heard the local authorities stepped in as there wasn't suitable traffic/emergency management in place, I hear the emergency services were raising concerns...could of course be wrong but this is much more believable, given they blamed in part a restricted Vulcan display when just the day before the Vulcan announced they were unaffected by the restrictions!!!

P330
28th Aug 2015, 09:49
Some interesting quotes in the press this week.

1). Organisers took decision with the airport, so not an entirely Skylive decision.
2). Good plans to bring it back next year bigger and better with some big stars, maybe the red arrows and BofB.

The latter shows great aspiration and potential but also highlights that this year had not gone to plan and the Shoreham accident became a convenient excuse to cut losses and try again.

If they do it, then credit to them and people will forget the past but certainly question marks have to be raised about the story so far.

And as for DTVA, they are yet again associated with negative press and yet again what has gone wrong is not their fault - essentially the tag line to the airport and its history over the last 10 years....

Cautious Optimist
28th Aug 2015, 10:35
As much as it looks like an excuse, the Shoreham tragedy is a genuine reason as opposed to Skylive exploiting a tragedy as a convenient excuse, they are genuinely devastated. Though I suspect Robert may also be right as well.

SWBKCB
28th Aug 2015, 16:05
The Skydive St George's "Battle of Britain Boogie" also cancelled, but planning to move into larger premises.

Boogie | Skydive St George (http://www.skydivestgeorge.co.uk/boogie)

Simplythebeast
28th Aug 2015, 16:43
Skylive staff may be genuinely upset but they are significantly better off than if they had gone ahead with that poorly organised and poorly advertised event.

highwideandugly
5th Sep 2015, 20:00
Just looking around other venues..most,if not all air shows have gone ahead recently.The Swedes even turned up with 4 aircraft at Prestwick!!
Methinks a lot of previous doubter posts are correct..as expected ,the usual DTV shambles and bad press as expected.

Anyway to move on..Peel announced 25 Mil. Aviation Investment into Liverpool.I really would like to know exactly how much is being 'pumped' into here? And more to the point how much is actually upfront aviation investment??
Sorry CO if this sound a little negative!!:confused:

Beafer
5th Sep 2015, 21:52
Highwide, I think you'll find a lot of people have given up hoping for holiday flights ever flying out of Teesside again.
Peel will slowly run it down and and it will go the same way as Sheffield.
No point wondering about the master plan or plans. The money men have won this one. Last one out turn the lights out.

N707ZS
5th Sep 2015, 22:32
You two obviously haven't been up to the airport the last six months and seen what Peel have been spending their money on!

SWBKCB
6th Sep 2015, 05:40
Understand there's been some site clearance, so what else (particularly aviation related)?

N707ZS
6th Sep 2015, 07:16
At the moment it just seems to be site clearance but expensive clearance as they are removing any concrete, metal footings from the old hangar 5 and levelling the ground. I presume they will also remove the remains of hangar 4 flooring and footings.
Aviation wise there has never been as many resident light aircraft as there are now, there would possibly be more if there was more hangar space available.

Beafer
6th Sep 2015, 09:27
Site clearance is what Peel do best.
Does anyone really think the DTV airport can stay afloat on light a/c income?
How much is the place losing per year now?
The land will be used for other things, but it won't benefit the public.

The fact that Peel are moving into logistics and warehousing may be what they have had in mind for a long time. The houses will be just the icing on the cake for the billionaire chap.

It always gives me a chuckle to see the local 'lodge' chap spokesperson who likes the pies spouting about this and that on tv. Rumour has it that its losing a lot of money.
Time will tell and they will blame it on government taxes, or financial markets when it shuts the doors, but will be sitting on 250 acres of prime land.
How many staff are left at DTV?

blackbeard1
6th Sep 2015, 10:11
Like all companies the accounts are on line.
Try here and sign up for free DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT LIMITED. Free company accounts direct from Companies House. Download Accounts FREE (http://companycheck.co.uk/company/02020423/DURHAM-TEES-VALLEY-AIRPORT-LIMITED/financial-accounts#financials)
If my transcription skills without my glasses worked OK, The operating losses for 2104 were (£4,616,518) compared with 2013 losses (£3,622,874)
The full accounts of any business always make interesting reading.

N707ZS
6th Sep 2015, 10:54
blackbeard1, how big are the losses for the other northern airfields?

Site clearance is better than abandonment and decay in my mind.

skyman771
6th Sep 2015, 11:31
Blackbeard1
Your question is unfortunately largely irrelevant. "Durham Tees Valley Airport Limited" is actually part of a larger Peel group of companies, as such the extent of the loss is open to significant manipulation through transfer pricing & management costs & recharges.

blackbeard1
6th Sep 2015, 14:13
I am well aware of Mr Whittaker's empire, for those of you who are not, can I recommended reading this article from the Independent written in 2013. "The biggest company you've never heard of: Lifting the lid on the Peel Group"
The biggest company you've never heard of: Lifting the lid on Peel Group - the property firm owned by reclusive tax exile John Whittaker - Home News - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-biggest-company-youve-never-heard-of-lifting-the-lid-on-peel-group--the-property-firm-owned-by-reclusive-tax-exile-john-whittaker-8890201.html)

N707ZS
11th Sep 2015, 06:38
From the local rag:

'Secret' part of scheme to save Durham Tees Valley airport is still secret (From Darlington and Stockton Times) (http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/news/13713475._Secret__part_of_scheme_to_save_Durham_Tees_Valley_ airport_is_still_secret/)

Barnstable
11th Sep 2015, 19:19
I think Peel-owned DSA posted similar losses. The business plan proposed by Peel is similar to that being developed at DSA too

SWBKCB
13th Sep 2015, 10:32
Only to paranoid conspiracy theorists - restricting access due to "commercial sensitivity" is entirely normal, and such a secret meeting its reported in the local press? and good luck with keeping quiet with 6 councils involved...

My money's on the spaceport... ;)

N707ZS
13th Sep 2015, 10:36
It will be the first time something has ever been kept secret!!

Cautious Optimist
13th Sep 2015, 12:45
I think it must have been a slow news day. The likelihood is it's not a secret part of the master plan so much as a confidential and commercially sensitive meeting as has already been said.

I think Beafer may be part-correct though, if they've chosen to meet with Stockton before any of the other local authorities then it likely is south-side related.

Beafer
14th Sep 2015, 09:25
Pension demand by Peel. Opt out or else!
Durham Tees Valley Airport owner warns it could close unless councils agree to pension deal - Gazette Live (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/durham-tees-valley-airport-owner-10047118)

Looks like they are looking for any excuse to close the place. Was this part of the greater Master plan? Hmmm :yuk:

Cautious Optimist
14th Sep 2015, 12:47
Hmm, I think this has been rather sensationalised, the Gazette is historically a very anti-airport newspaper and a rag to boot, why isn't the Echo picking up on this if it's such a big story?

Just more cannon fodder for the conspiracy theorists.

Beafer
14th Sep 2015, 13:43
Cautious I think your living in Dream Land. The writing is on the wall. Peel are making a threat here. Give us our way or we close the airport.

The Northern Echo is the sister paper of the Evening Gazette.
Both are owned by the Trinity Mirror Group. At least the Gazette have told the public who used to own all of DTV.

The Peel pension news reminded me of the Maxwell pension saga of years ago. Didn't he want to change pensions to suit himself?

The silence from the local Labour MP's is deafening. They along with labour councillors were all in office when Peel was given the airport for a small sum of money.
Which councillors signed the airport sale contract to gift the place to Peel? Where is that contract now?
Why isn't is available? Something smells of insider dealings here.

Where is local MP Phil Wilson for a quote, and why isn't he pushing to recover the land? Counting his expenses maybe? :rolleyes:

SWBKCB
14th Sep 2015, 15:35
Interesting as to why it's just being raised now - Peel will surely have been aware when they took over and must have been reviewed since (particularly during the Masterplan process)

blackbeard1
14th Sep 2015, 16:02
Latest news, maybe.
" An ultimatum from the owners of Durham Tees Valley to release it from its pension liabilities or face losing the airport is likely to be accepted by Tees councils, The Gazette understands."
Durham Tees Valley Airport owner's pension ultimatum likely to be accepted by Teesside councils - Gazette Live (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/durham-tees-valley-airport-owners-10053603)

highwideandugly
14th Sep 2015, 16:25
Or....you give us the outstanding 11% of shares and we stay as we are with pensions??:ok:

SWBKCB
14th Sep 2015, 16:34
Gazette going to town on the story

Durham Tees Valley Airport staff shocked by pension scheme warning - Gazette Live (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/durham-tees-valley-airport-staff-10053614)

Gazette readers react with anger and dismay over latest proposals for Teesside's airport - Gazette Live (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/gazette-readers-react-anger-dismay-10052124)