PDA

View Full Version : SOUTHEND - 3 The new beginning

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

chaps2011
21st Apr 2012, 09:36
Hi guys I applaud what has happened at SEN and think that EZY have spotted a
niche where they have the playing field to them selves as RYR cannot go there
Being from Manchester I have watched the decline at Blackpool which to me is a very similar airport but perhaps not the catchment area as SEN, the difference
there is that the airport authority are putting anything in the way of Jet2 expanding and won`t spend any money on the simple things

Ian

LTNman
21st Apr 2012, 10:28
compton3bravo wrote

I shouldn´t get too over excited frostbite because I think you will find the new routes to Geneva and Venice will take the place of the non-operation and/or reduced capacity on services to Ibiza, Jersey, Palma and Faro. I would guess that it will still be a three aircraft operation.

Expressflight replied

I think it's a pity that some people have to sound so sour about the regeneration of SEN

I struggle to see why that comment could be viewed so negatively when it would appear to be a statement of fact. What is wrong with facts or do you think it is incorrect.:oh::oh::oh:

Expressflight
21st Apr 2012, 10:59
You don't have to be saying something that is incorrect to sound sour.

Of course some of the SEN Summer 2012 routes will be reduced in frequency or dropped for Winter 2012/13. Indeed it is so obvious that it hardly merits a mention in the context of a new route announcement.

In January 2011 that same poster said of SEN: ".....unfortunately I think you are going to have great facilities but very few people to use them." It doesn't look that way now does it?

There's nothing wrong with negativity when it's based on fact, rather than wishful thinking.

Barling Magna
21st Apr 2012, 13:36
Expressflight has a point. Mr C3B does seem to have a downer on SEN for some reason. For example, he was a little premature in May 2011 with his dismissing of the Aer Arann services to Southend when he said:

"Well most of us thought it wouldn't work at Southend and it looks after only two months we have been proved right. Some very expensive eggs on some people's faces. Your thoughts Expressflight please. "

The Waterford service is going well, and I'm sure the Dublin service will be a big success too. Lighten up C3B, the sun's shining in south-east Essex, and it's The Only Way, as I'm sure you know......

Ernest Lanc's
21st Apr 2012, 16:14
Being from Manchester I have watched the decline at Blackpool which to me is a very similar airport but perhaps not the catchment area as SEN, the difference

Decline in pax since 2006 - But not in routes. No comparison with SEN as BLK is a niche to a large extent for ex pats and second home owners -This is a strength in a way, as that market is unlikely to disappear.

Lots of good things happening at SEN, feels like BLK 2006 - What easy with new routes though..Jet2 pulled Mahan and Ibiza for no apparent reason, and BLK got Jersey in their place.

compton3bravo
21st Apr 2012, 16:40
Apologies gentlemen for the delay in replying to your comments (sorry Barling the sun has been shining here also on the CdeSol 26 degC and petrol just over a pound a litre down the road in Gib) Expressflight and Barling Magna. I am definitely not anti-Southend or any other airport, it is just the way I see it. I would have thought any aviation minded person would see that easyJet would commence new winter services to fill in the gaps where summer flights terminate. Good luck to Southend but let us see after the introductory very low fares and when Stobart wants to see a good return on its investment. Surely I am entitled to my opinion. Must dahs my partner has just opened a bottle of red which cost all of 1.25 Euros. Very welcome to share a glass if down this way. Adios!

Barling Magna
21st Apr 2012, 16:58
Enjoy your vino rojo, C3B. I'm about to have a nice cup of tea and dream of Southend United gaining automatic promotion to League One. Onwards and upwards.......

HZ123
21st Apr 2012, 19:12
That automatic promotion will require something special, Anything special at the airshow ?

Barling Magna
21st Apr 2012, 22:05
I don't think the programme has been announced yet, but with EZY sponsoring the event I'm hoping for something special. Just as I am hoping for something special from a football team near LGW and another near EXT - draws and defeats only will do for a team near SEN.

mikkie4
21st Apr 2012, 22:22
Come on you shrimpers,league one football and league one airport

Saxon_4Alpha
22nd Apr 2012, 05:54
some of the participants have already been announced. The Typhoon has been confirmed, along with several other regular participants.

8674planes
22nd Apr 2012, 16:33
List is here: Southend Air Festival - PREVIEW - Flightline UK (http://www.airshows.org.uk/2012/airshows/uk-airshows-2012-southend-air-festival-preview.html) keep visiting as it will be updated as we come closer to the show.

fatmed
23rd Apr 2012, 08:03
Southend Airport can double the size of its terminal (From Echo) (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/9663926.Southend_Airport_can_double_the_size_of_its_terminal/)

LondonCityBoy
23rd Apr 2012, 10:09
Just checked the website and the long stay car park is now open, unfortunately this has resulted in a large hike from the old prices from £6 a day to £10 a day (Long Stay, capped at £40 per week) and £15 a day for the short stay.

Unfortunately my 4 day break later this week is now going to cost me £40 instead of £24, which is a bit of a jump from 2 weeks ago.

Are there any off site parking options available yet?

xtypeman
23rd Apr 2012, 10:16
Use the train

LondonCityBoy
23rd Apr 2012, 10:20
...,flights too early.

Expressflight
23rd Apr 2012, 10:38
I do agree that it is disappointing that the Long Stay parking cost has increased significantly from last week.

I cannot quite see why there isn't more of a taper from the £10/day to the £40/week charge: it seeming rather unreasonable that you pay as much for four days as you do for seven. What happens if you park for 10 days? Do you pay £40 + £30 or is the weekly rate pro rata per day after seven days?

I also don't understand why Car Parks 1 & 2 (those directly in front of and each side of the station) are now both Short Stay. Surely that's far too much capacity to meet the needs of Short Stay parking. Leaving Car Park 1 as Short Stay and changing Car Park 2 to Long Stay would have seemed perhaps a better idea.

Lord Gumboil Jnr.
23rd Apr 2012, 11:36
I am sure that the Long Stay Car Park Notice Board states that the charge is £6 per day until July when it becomes £10 daily. The £6 has a line drawn across it with the note concerning July alongside. This is, of course, in contradiction to what the web-site states. To add confusion, the 'Pay Here' ticket machine in the car park has a sign above instructing drivers to 'Display' their ticket. How odd, seeing as it is not a Pay & Display car park and having paid, motorists will then be driving out!

I expect to be at the airport this afternoon, so will check and confirm the preceding.

LTNman
23rd Apr 2012, 14:52
Tariffs | LSA - Car Parking | London Southend Airport (http://www.southendairport.com/car-parking/tarrifs/)

It's how all airports make their money. If an airport gives airlines cheap rates then they must try and maximise their income from the passengers and parking is a good source of income.

maliyahsdad2
23rd Apr 2012, 15:04
Southend Airport Parking - Cheap Parking near Southend Airport | ParkatmyHouse (http://www.parkatmyhouse.com/uk/parking/essex/southend-airport/)

Ernest Lanc's
23rd Apr 2012, 15:18
LTNman

It's how all airports make their money.

"all"
Not at all - Excuse the pun intended..Parking is free at Blackpool up to 14 days. so even with the ADF - Parking is a bargain.

Barling Magna
23rd Apr 2012, 15:19
Ah, the benefits of private enterprise. Who said the airport wouldn't bring any money into Southend??:)

Barling Magna
23rd Apr 2012, 15:23
Finally the SEN website has a proper Arrivals and Departures Board. I'm looking forward to seeing that expand next week as Ibiza and Majorca services start.

Arrivals | LSA - Flight Information | London Southend Airport (http://www.southendairport.com/flight-information/arrivals/)

globetrotter79
23rd Apr 2012, 15:42
Just looks like someone this morning was getting their UTC and local times mixed up!

Barling Magna
23rd Apr 2012, 17:17
This rather lengthy document covers the information considered at the Rochford District Council meeting which approved the terminal expansion. It refers to the Viewing Centre in the original application. It would be good if Stobart could provide some sort of viewing facility for people just wanting to see the action - rather than having to peer through the mesh of fences. I do understand the security concerns, but it would be excellent public relations, and every airport needs to build its reputation with its local community.

http://mikehullbridge.files.wordpress.co....-april-2012.pdf (http://mikehullbridge.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/item-4-report_-schedule-of-planning-applications-to-be-considered_-development-committee-19-april-2012.pdf)

Lord Gumboil Jnr.
23rd Apr 2012, 18:03
London City Boy

I have re-checked the notice board at the entrance to the Long Term Car Park and the daily charge until July is definitely £6.

Daily Charge has £10 with a line though it with £6 alongside with the endorsement 'Until July'. Why there is nothing about this on the airport web-site is open to conjecture. However, it should be a nice surprise for those arriving to park before July.

I think that you can quite safely turn up and park without further concern.

I intend photographing the board, but probably not until Wednesday.

LondonCityBoy
23rd Apr 2012, 20:49
Cheers for the info Lord G

mikkie4
23rd Apr 2012, 22:29
passenger numbers up 1,299.2% on this time last year,wonder what they will be next year?.shame you cant see into the future:):):)

vulcanised
24th Apr 2012, 11:27
With regard to the Air Show, it would be nice to see a Chinook returning to the display.

Assuming there are any in the UK.

HZ123
24th Apr 2012, 13:07
It would be nice to see anything different ! Too much of the same. Remember the Harrier / Tornado / Nimrod pastimes ?

vulcanised
24th Apr 2012, 14:20
I'm old enough to remember the Vulcan in the display too.

Hence my handle.

mikkie4
24th Apr 2012, 15:11
easyjet to sponser southend united? maybe,with the new stadium being built good pr to be had

TSR2
24th Apr 2012, 15:20
easyjet to sponser southend united?

Not sure they would like to be associated with a team from the 4th tier of English football.

8674planes
24th Apr 2012, 15:49
F-86A Sabre added to airshow line up!

tws123
24th Apr 2012, 16:51
EasyJet sponser Luton Town in the conference! :hmm:

Expressflight
24th Apr 2012, 18:12
Just to get back to aviation matters for a moment......

The admin offices adjacent to the departures hall have been relocated to the new easyJet/admin block and the space released will enable the departures hall to be enlarged. This should be completed in time for the additional easyJet routes commencing next week.

Pain in the R's
24th Apr 2012, 18:23
Not all good news.

Here is a business traveller review who has tried Southend but will be sticking to London City

MarcusUK (http://www.businesstraveller.com/members/MarcusUK) - 16/04/2012 12:01 GMT

Having a residence in Amsterdam, the travels from London can vary much from LCY or LHR, using KLM, Cityjet, or BA.
Inquisitive regarding the new services started just a few weeks ago by Easyjet to Amsterdam, and the airport, and journey to it from North London, i took a flight on 13th April 2012.
Subject to the M25, the journey by car was less than an hour, plenty of space to park, with a 2 min walk to the terminal. Half an hour wait to check in apparently, but I had checked in on line. Security was busy, but staff polite and enthusiastic, appearing happy and creating a nice atmosphere, (compared to LHR where Prozac should be put in all drinks).
The airside of the terminal could not accomodate one full flight for a 737-800, there are simply not enough seats. One cafe, and a Duty Free no one was visiting. However, you entered to find it was a mass Bar, with 50% of passengers standing around drinking beer from bottles all around the terminal. A flight to Amsterdam and one to Faro were due within the hour.
The Aircraft arrived and within a few minutes boarding for Amsterdam announced, but then everyone expected to wait in a part closed glass frame corridor outside in a line for 15 minutes. "Speedy Boarding" was a complete waste of time, with 2 people paying £20 each, getting on first.
The aircraft was clean, relatively new, and i sat on the wing exit so no cramped seats, and around 75% full.
The behaviour of the people travelling was a different issue, but then i rarely fly low cost as i find they "are Not", compared to Airlines like KLM / Cityjet. I was quite shocked to see young guys carrying on 2-3 bottles of beer each, from the terminal onto the Aircraft, which they drank completely during the 40 minute flight! Others paid for more alcohol on board.
Flight took off 10 minutes late after waiting by the side of the unused runway, on time (http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/EasyJet-and-London-Southend-Airport#) into AMS.
Easyjet need to have some common sense, and restrict those bringing alcohol on board, so obviously carrying them in their hands. it became like a drunken football match during the flight, and I would be very surprised if the UK Authorities would agrea or allow this practice, with crews doing nothing.
The Airport and Easyjet need to set a standard regarding this practice.
Are there no imposed regulations regarding this?!!
The Airport is handy from London, £6 a day) and a 2 min walk, with the trains also alongside. Another terminal is being constructed. But current capacity with more than 2 flights in one hour, mean the facilities are full.
Still and interesting option, £75 return, compared to the Easter prices of £200 from LCY.
I will stay with my £90 returns from LCY and Cityjet / AF, but at least i know the dynamics of the Southend option.

rowly6339
24th Apr 2012, 19:02
It's not the end of the world, seems he was more bothered about the booze drinking youth's than anything else which can't really be blamed on the airport as it happens everywhere and the terminal once fully completed will sort out any overcrowding issues.

maliyahsdad2
24th Apr 2012, 19:02
I wouldn't say that was a bad report, He mainly didn't like the other passengers and their drinking.
Reading further he is fairly complimentry.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/EasyJet-and-London-Southend-Airport?page=1#52054

As an aside I believe they are already increasing the space available in the current (new) terminal for departures which will help while the extension is built .

(The extension has been given planning permission and has been bought forward a number of years as It is required a lot sooner than expected)

Phileas Fogg
25th Apr 2012, 00:22
How does Marcus know the aircraft was, quote, "relatively new"?

Captain_Caveman
25th Apr 2012, 03:44
The aircraft that "Marcus" flew on was 2 years 3 months and 3 weeks old on the date in question.....

vulcanised
25th Apr 2012, 19:43
Not seen any mention of the new hotel lately.

Anyone know how that's progressing?

Barling Magna
25th Apr 2012, 19:51
It looked well on the way to me, a couple of weeks ago. Should be opened a week before the first Olympic event.

Pain in the R's
25th Apr 2012, 19:56
The new terminal was constructed in readiness for the influx of traffic caused by the London 2012 Olympics, and has been built to be capable of handling 2 million passengers per annum by 2020. Construction of the extension is expected to get underway later this year.

With passengers reporting that it is standing room only with just 2 aircraft on the ground surely the terminal does not have a capacity of 2 million. Is this a misprint?

Barling Magna
25th Apr 2012, 20:00
Yes, the expanded terminal is intended to cope with 2 million ppa. The existing new terminal was for 800,000 I believe.

wetlanding
26th Apr 2012, 05:46
Does any one know the Pax on the turkey Flights for Ford

Expressflight
26th Apr 2012, 07:26
According the the CAA provisional stats the total number was 225 in March. I believe the route started on 12th March so giving an average of 38 pax per flight.

maliyahsdad2
26th Apr 2012, 07:46
Vulcanised, the hotel seems to be a lot further advanced on the inside than outside! though it looks like most of the glazing is complete and they are finishing the roof/restaurant areas and the curved glass. Looking here it seems that it won't be open for the olympics as they appear to be looking at August 2012.
Holiday Inn Southend (http://tinyurl.com/7mw5y4v)

Barling Magna
26th Apr 2012, 08:44
Christmas is only 256 days away, eh? Bluddy Hell....... :*

I notice that their Facebook page states in a message dated 20th April: "Artist impression to show the amazing stylish look that the 5th floor of the hotel will have when we open on the 27th July 2012". So they are still trying to meet that Olympic date.

vulcanised
26th Apr 2012, 11:35
Thanks for that link. Seems like it might be ready in time for the Olympics.

Nice to see the Laker connection - brings back memories.

Barling Magna
26th Apr 2012, 11:44
Yes, I thought that too. I was amusing myself thinking what other SEN related names they could use in the Hotel. "Aviation Traders" and "Superfreighter" don't sound too appealing, but "Carvair" or "Viking" might and "Viscount" or "Continental" certainly would. In terms of personalities, how about "The Keegan Suite", "The Pascoe Room", "The Jones Lounge" and "The Stephens Bar"? I don't think "The Batt Bar" would work though..... :)

I suppose they could hark back to WWII and have "The Spitfire Lounge", "The Defiant Room" or "The Dornier Landing"........

Expressflight
26th Apr 2012, 13:05
'The Keegan Suite' .... aaaagh!

Now 'The Keegan Bar'...... perhaps, but I won't elaborate on the types that would need to frequent it in order to provide the right period atmosphere.

The stories I could tell about dear old TDK, as no doubt could many others on here.

Barling Magna
26th Apr 2012, 13:12
Go on then. Surely one or two of your stories are non-libellous?

Expressflight
26th Apr 2012, 13:28
No, I don't think I'll risk it thanks all the same.

Some years ago a magazine asked me for some yarns involving Mike and I was rather horrified when I actually read them in print. The editor sent me a note thanking me for the stories saying "I'm sure Mike will see the funny side." I wasn't so sure myself. RIP Mike, life was rarely dull while you were around.

Phileas Fogg
26th Apr 2012, 13:35
Wasn't it a VC8 and a Shed 330 that BAF taxied in to each other for the insurance payout(s)?

Aero Mad
26th Apr 2012, 14:17
G-APIM, a Viscount, and a 330 collided back in '88 I think... only the former was written off but then only the former was getting a little older. Now at Brooklands Museum in Surrey.

Barling Magna
26th Apr 2012, 15:51
Er, I said non-libellous......

8674planes
28th Apr 2012, 10:53
London Southend to Ibiza flights begin today with the first departure at 17:00!

johnnychips
30th Apr 2012, 23:34
Something strange going on here with rail ticket sales from Southend Airport...

Southend Airport - RailUK Forums (http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64447)

rowly6339
1st May 2012, 00:08
Very interesting! would like to hear the airports reply to this.

mikkie4
1st May 2012, 00:27
just tried to leave a message on the SEN face book page,left 2 messages both got deleted,maybe they dont want people to know about this

rowly6339
1st May 2012, 03:26
Does sound a bit odd

Pain in the R's
1st May 2012, 05:06
Very mixed passenger reviews about the airport here.

Reviews of London Southend airport (SEN) (http://www.europe-airports.com/reviews/show-airport-reviews.php?code=SEN)

Pain in the R's
1st May 2012, 05:10
just tried to leave a message on the SEN face book page,left 2 messages both got deleted,maybe they dont want people to know about this

If you have copied and pasted from a word doc, which you have used as a spell checker, you will find your post will go.

jdcg
1st May 2012, 07:54
Seems like passengers not doing their homework properly. Surely you'd check on train times if you're arriving late at night?

Barling Magna
1st May 2012, 08:53
The point about no late rail services was made by LTNMan among others long ago, and it is something that must be sorted out quickly. If it's a true account, I have little sympathy with the airline or airport over this alleged treatment of a paying passenger - there should be warnings about the lack of public transport after 11.00 p.m. on their websites. On the other hand that reviewer has little idea of geography if he thinks Southend is closer to France than London - it isn't Manston or Ferryfield (there's a name for the older amongst us)! And just to save you searching for your atlas, it is 67 miles from SEN to the French coast, 35 miles to Central London.

The other reviews are excellent though and show how well the airport is operating during the hours that public transport is running. Stobart certainly have a success on their hands, but I hope they are reading forums such as Europe-Airports.com to help them iron out teething problems.

brian_dromey
1st May 2012, 10:22
I think people need to take responsibility for their own arrangements. It's the old addage "assumptions kill". I've herd good things about SEN from users, quick, easy and great car parking prices, although I understand that these will go up shortly.

EI-A330-300
1st May 2012, 14:56
A few of the DUB flights will be operated with a ATR72, not sure for how long but a number of flights have being changed for May at least.

rowly6339
1st May 2012, 18:20
I agree people should check out opening times for the airport and train times before travelling, it's called common sense :D

Expressflight
2nd May 2012, 06:35
I do feel that the SEN website should advise travellers of the earliest train times into SIA and the latest London-bound departure in the evening, if only because because rail access is being promoted as one of SEN's advantages. I agree that the savvy traveller will check on this for himself but not everyone fits into that category and some will make the assumption that the train serves all scheduled flights.

Ernest Lanc's
2nd May 2012, 07:37
I do feel that the SEN website should advise travellers of the earliest train times into SIA and the latest London-bound departure in the evening, if only because because rail access is being promoted as one of SEN's advantages

I don.t agree - Public transport is notorious for running late. SEN would get the blame every time pax had a lengthy wait.

BLK are the same - they boast the M55 and rail links, but we don't get a timetable.

People are not stupid, they know how to check train times.

Phileas Fogg
2nd May 2012, 08:00
Wherever in UK, for point to point schedules of buses, coaches, trains etc. then save this to your favorites:

Traveline - Your link to local public transport information (http://traveline.info/)

LEWIS APPLEBY
2nd May 2012, 08:14
I wonder if SEN management have considred getting airport arrivals onto the BBC digital ''Ceefax'' service, after all other quiet airports such as Norwich are on there.

JSCL
2nd May 2012, 08:15
I wonder if SEN management have considred getting airport arrivals onto the BBC digital ''Ceefax'' service, after all other quiet airports such as Norwich are on there.

I doubt too many people use this service anymore, would be a wasted expense for the airport. With the number of people NOT connected to the internet shrinking very fast, it makes no sense IMO.

maliyahsdad2
2nd May 2012, 08:31
Ceefax will finish in the next few months with the end of analogue tv!

LEWIS APPLEBY
2nd May 2012, 10:10
Maliyahsdad2, sorry I was talking about the digital red button replacement for Ceefax which is not on the analogue system.

And JSCL whilst you are right that about 75% of people have at least some access to computers if other airports consider it necessary to continue using the BBC service, which is extremely accurate and updated every few minutes, why not Southend. I take the point about the cost though.

LondonCityBoy
2nd May 2012, 16:09
Was on the 0700 BFS flight last Thursday, only had 14 PAX.

The route is not going to last very long at that rate.

Flights were cheap too, I only paid £33 return.

Finally, just a quick observation, there is no trolley provision in either the long or short stay car parks, meaning you have to walk to the terminal to get one (albeit not that far), and then bring it back afterwards which seems a bit of a waste of time.

sxflyer
2nd May 2012, 16:30
Interesting about BFS pax...will be interesting to see what overall figures are when the CAA release them. I don't think the choice of route is a bad idea, but it did always strike me as odd that a. It exists and EDI doesn't and b. it's not flown using a BFS based aircraft with a business-friendly arrival into SEN

LTNman
2nd May 2012, 17:10
I agree people should check out opening times for the airport and train times before travelling, it's called common sense

Was on the 0700 BFS flight last Thursday, only had 14 PAX.

Maybe potential passengers do have common sense and have noted that the only option is to drive to London Southend for a 7am departure.

I think Southend will establish itself as a new airport for London but it will not be as easy as some folk here think. Only 14 passengers on a 737 has to be viewed as bad news but it is still very early days.

New routes will come and some routes will fail but as long as the easyjet bean counters can see an eventual profit at the end of the tunnel they will stick with Southend.

8674planes
2nd May 2012, 18:01
Actually it's an A319 not a 737.

Barling Magna
2nd May 2012, 18:40
I think LTNman has it right, again. The flights to Alicante, Barcelona and Faro seem quite full. BFS is an unusual choice of destination. I'd have thought Edinburgh would have been better, especially with the large RBS presence in Southend (close to the foot of the runway, of course!).

April's pax figures will be interesting, but May's will be the first true test of the operation.

Buster the Bear
2nd May 2012, 19:12
Stobart Air no doubt will ensure easyJet do not lose out financially.

LTNman
2nd May 2012, 20:15
Actually it's an A319 not a 737.

I'm getting old and still haven't come to terms with easyjet getting rid of the 737.:eek:

Barling Magna
2nd May 2012, 22:02
I know what you mean. I can't get used to years that start with 20.. , surely years start with 19.. ? And easyJet still feels like a new airline to me. Whatever happened to Court Line and Channel Airways.........

Ernest Lanc's
2nd May 2012, 22:53
I think Southend will establish itself as a new airport for London but it will not be as easy as some folk here think. Only 14 passengers on a 737 has to be viewed as bad news but it is still very early days.

New routes will come and some routes will fail but as long as the easyjet bean counters can see an eventual profit at the end of the tunnel they will stick with Southend.

That's correct LTNman - Not all routes will be profitable..BLK lost routes to Prague and Amsterdam due to lack of interest, also Geneva went down the pan..

At BLK we lost Ibiza and MAH for no apparent reason, and got Jersey instead..

Regional airports are at the whim of the airlines..I am sure SEN will survive, there will be disappointments along the way...

BTW - I thought for some reason I was going on a 757 or 737 from Liverpool to Fuertaventura with eazy, turned out to be an A320 which I don't like.

Came back with FR on a 737-800, would rather have an old 757 any day for comfort.

TSR2
2nd May 2012, 23:15
At BLK we lost Ibiza and MAN for no apparent reason

Think you mean MAH Ernest.

2nd May 2012, 23:19
I would have thought that a Belfast route would work better with a Belfast-based aircraft. There's limited demand for early morning travel to Belfast and other London airports can satisfy that.

The figures and yields will get a nice boost in May from the Heineken Cup Final. It should probably guarantee 4 full Belfast flights each way. Although, realistically, Southend is about as handy for Twickenham as Southampton is.

Steviec9
3rd May 2012, 07:16
Looking at the SEN flight info pages for today, flights to/from LGW today (assume positioning) and MAD???

Also amused by a few stories in local press about SEN destroying people's lives with the new EZY flights. This despite the fact that older, noisier planes have been operating in/out for maintenance for years without them noticing. Methinks that a few people are thinking its a good way to get some 'compensayshun'. ;). General press coverage is positive, as are most locals it would seem. Just an odd (very odd) few who didn't appear to notice they lived under a live flight path until four weeks ago.

Expressflight
3rd May 2012, 07:20
LondonCityBoy

The trolley parks in the car parks should be finished within the next couple of days and will resolve that situation.

LTNman

An 0700 BFS departure may or may not be at a disadvantage currently due to the train timetable, but last Saturday morning 120 pax seemed to be able to arrive OK for their BFS flight.

I would agree though that the daily 0630 FAO would surely be more attractive if options other than arriving by car or taxi were available.

Ernest Lanc's
3rd May 2012, 16:35
Think you mean MAH Ernest.

Thank's for that TSR2 - I have edited the correct code in my post.

vulcanised
3rd May 2012, 16:57
Perhaps the Belfast ops will benefit from the ending of BMI services in June?

CabinCrewe
3rd May 2012, 18:31
Was there not a suggestion of EZY SEN-GLA ?

Fairdealfrank
3rd May 2012, 19:48
Quote: "The figures and yields will get a nice boost in May from the Heineken Cup Final. It should probably guarantee 4 full Belfast flights each way. Although, realistically, Southend is about as handy for Twickenham as Southampton is"

It's much easier to get to Twickenham from SOU than SEN: there's a railway station on the the airport with a frequent service, with just one change at Clapham Junction, (there's no need to faff around on the underground). By road it's straight up the M3.

However, SEN is easier than LTN and STN.

LHR is on the doorstep, so easiest of all.

mikkie4
3rd May 2012, 20:07
what were the pax numbers like on the belfast/heathrow flights with bmi baby?.maybe the easyjet flight to SEN could profit from those passengers wishing to fly to london

pabely
4th May 2012, 00:20
Did BMIBaby ever run belfast/heathrow, This is BMI Mainline? The comment was about the BFS/STN route.

Fairdealfrank
4th May 2012, 00:44
LHR-BHD is BD not WW.

LTNman
4th May 2012, 05:17
2011 annual passenger figures for both Belfast airports.

717,970 Heathrow
589,651 Gatwick
429,646 Stansted
225,063 Luton

1,962,913 Total
5393 per day

Maybe this is why Easyjet started a Southend service and perhaps why carrying only 14 passengers on a weekday service might be a cause of concern.

Yes this is very early days but then unlike many new routes by other airlines Easyjet have spent a lot of time, effort and money promoting Southend.

Would have thought though with nearlly 2,000,000 passengers flying between London and Belfast it can only get alot better for Southend on this route.

LTNman
4th May 2012, 05:40
It's much easier to get to Twickenham from SOU than SEN: there's a railway station on the the airport with a frequent service, with just one change at Clapham Junction, (there's no need to faff around on the underground). By road it's straight up the M3.

However, SEN is easier than LTN and STN.

LHR is on the doorstep, so easiest of all.

Average times now by train or Underground

Heathrow 45 minutes
Gatwick 58 minutes
Luton 1 hour 36 minutes
Southampton 1 hour 45 minutes
Stansted 1 hour 53 minutes
Southend 2 hours 2 minutes

Expressflight
4th May 2012, 07:53
It's pretty obvious that you wouldn't select SEN as your arrival airport if your final destination is Twickenham - reference to any map shows that.

LTNman's figures for the BFS-LON route are interesting and would suggest that SEN could support a double daily service. Perhaps it's more a matter of changing old habits as a large part of those pax numbers represent business travellers. As far as the figures for the route in its first month of operation are concerned, let's wait until the CAA provisional stats come out in 10 days or so before making a judgement. It would be as easy to quote the days when the load factor was over 90% as it is to quote a figure of 14 pax on another particular day, but that wouldn't give you an accurate indication either.

LTNman
4th May 2012, 14:36
Perhaps it's more a matter of changing old habits as a large part of those pax numbers represent business travellers.

Think you have hit the nail on the head with your clear thinking

LTNman
7th May 2012, 20:31
There are four departures between 6:30 and 7:30 tomorrow morning. I predict that not one passenger will arrive by train or any form of public transport, which is a big shame as these four departures represent almost one third of the whole days departures.

I also predict that unless these aircraft are almost empty the departure lounge will be severely overcrowded seeing that it can’t cope with 2 aircraft.

When will the expanded terminal be open? Is Southend growing too quickly and should Easyjet have waited until the expanded terminal had opened?

smallpilot
7th May 2012, 21:14
LTNMan, what is your problem with SEN? Every post is negative. Worried its taking biz away from your place. Maybe you should look at your own airports problems,- horrendous road access, the ridiculous charge for dropping-off pax, the lack of a rail station... Why dont you look at the positives at SEN and congratulate the huge investment that Stobart has made in terms of Runway, ATC, Terminal, rail station etc etc. Maybe when the terminal extansion is open (next year) then more flights might be tempted away from LTN?

rowly6339
7th May 2012, 21:21
To be fair he has a good point there, it will be very crowded in there but the airlines would have known this so there is nothing anybody can do until the extension is complete unless they cancel flights which clearly isn't going to happen, it won't be the end of the airport though one busy morning.

LTNman
7th May 2012, 21:50
LTNMan, what is your problem with SEN? Every post is negative

No they are not. Please read back on my posts and you will see very positive comments about Southend. The people here who don’t like my comments always go on the attack and have a pop at Luton. Well smallpilot I agree with everything you say about Luton. I agree with what most people say here about Luton so does it upset me? Well no actually.

The truth is Stobart has invested millions into the new Southend Airport so for a new airport the experience should be good for every passenger. Looking at some of the links here clearly it isn’t which should worry the keenest supporters.

Southend is here to stay so growth should be measured and not rushed. If you want to see how to cram in too many passengers into an airport then come to Luton. For much of the day it is a fine place to use but come at the wrong time and it is a place to avoid. The same goes with Southend.

I don’t see Southend as a threat and want it to succeed. If any airport is a threat to Luton it is Gatwick in my eyes. I want to see Southend get the most out of its investment and that is the truth. I want to see passengers have a good experience of Southend from day one and not one day next year. I also think there is more than enough demand to keep all of London’s airports busy.

FR-
7th May 2012, 21:55
No flights have moved from LTN to SEN, STN yes but not LTN. I dont think LTN has anything to worry about.

LTNman
7th May 2012, 22:13
Aer Arran moved to Southend from Luton but have been quietly increasing flights from Luton again in recent months due to demand. But that's my point. How many of those passengers tried Southend before the new terminal and station opened. They tried it and didn't like it so won't be coming back to use the new terminal. The same could happen with the new terminal. If someone has a bad experience they don’t always come back. Surely Southend would have been better with just two based aircraft for the first year with Easyjet operating W patens into Southend to spread the passengers more evenly throughout the day.

Key points that need to be fixed fast.

Why does the terminal close at night? There must be security in the terminal who are being paid so leave the doors open.

Bully the rail company into operating early trains out of London and late trains back into London. Not only would Southend benefit but every station along the route.

Walk before you run. Stobart wants the income from passengers now so let them pile into the terminal. The risk is some of those passengers might not come back. It’s not Stobart’s fault but easyjet should see the existing capacity of the terminal as a challenge and spread the flights out more evenly until next year.

FR-
7th May 2012, 22:15
Be interesting to know the loads for SEN/STN/LTN to belfast tomorrow.

fr-

Fairdealfrank
7th May 2012, 23:24
Quote: "Average times now by train or Underground

Heathrow 45 minutes
Gatwick 58 minutes
Luton 1 hour 36 minutes
Southampton 1 hour 45 minutes
Stansted 1 hour 53 minutes
Southend 2 hours 2 minutes"

There's no train/underground between Heathrow and Twickenham, LTNman, it's one or two buses, depending on terminal. If driving, 15-20 minutes.

LTNman
8th May 2012, 05:24
I allowed for bus travel to be included in the Heathrow time as per the Transport for London journey planner. In fact I should have said 50 minutes not 45 minutes but it is still the quickest way.

Barling Magna
8th May 2012, 07:28
As I see it LTNman has been at least neutral and often positive in his SEN posts over the past few months. However, I feel he was quite negative last year before the plans came to fruition. He's right in his recent posts. The terminal at SEN is crowded for short periods, but which airports aren't? Fortunately the throughflow of passengers is very rapid, as Stobart had promised. There isn't a lot to do in the terminal, but that shouldn't be a problem if you can at least get a cup of coffee and a newspaper. The real problem is when the Germania Ford charter flights and the early EZY schedules coincide - there are four or five A319s on the apron and their passengers in the terminal. At least the Ford pax don't dawdle at all.

The trains really do need sorting out. Perhaps the Olympic Games may prove to be the catalyst that wakes up the train company to possible profit? Or perhaps SEN should use that nice fleet of Mercedes mini-buses to ferry passengers outside the train operating times......?

Nobody expected SEN to be an instant 100% success, and it will take time to become accepted as a London airport. But all the ingredients are there, it just needs some tweaking of the recipe......

SENFLYER
8th May 2012, 07:50
Well said Barling Magna..

Ltnman is welcome to his opinion and I can't fault what he says most of the time. Southend does have it's teething problems especially rail :ugh: but SEN trains always were rubbish unless it's peak times. It's about time that changed. The terminal is small & does get busy at peak times plus there isn't a huge amount to do but then Stobart would never have got financial backing for a huge terminal first off, start small & extend when you have money/pax coming in. At the end of the day you choose where to go from: If you are looking for the holiday experience airport you go to Gatwick they cater for that. If you want fly cheap, pay the earth for food, parking and enjoy standing in pre-Imm' then go to Stansted. Luton sorry Ltnman but it's the last choice, exorbitant parking, station is a bus ride away, the terminal is awful and you don't move without paying for something. Like Barling Magna said if you want a coffee, paper and a short wait with a few other people, cheap parking and a quick getaway Southend is for you.

Expressflight
8th May 2012, 08:07
LTNman

I think you actually make some valid points, but I do feel it's true that you're still on the negative side of neutral in most of your posts. For example, where is your evidence that the departure hall "can't cope with 2 aircraft"? When I flew to AMS there was a FAO departure soon after and the hall was not at all crowded.

It isn't quite accurate to say there are no public transport links to SEN in the early morning. The first X30 from Chelmsford & Rayleigh arrives at 0527 and the first train from Southend town centre at 0505. The first train from Liverpool Street arrives at 0632 so some would use that for the 0730 departure to AMS. But I completely agree that there needs to be an earlier train from London and a later train to London in the evenings. Otherwise Stobarts should arrange a coach service - they could even do that with their own coaches perhaps.

It's obvious that easyJet were aware of the situation when they planned their SEN schedules and perhaps they feel that few people actually use the train at those times. Certainly they won't have been slow in coming forward with their thoughts on the subject.

As far as the terminal is concerned, again they knew its capacity so if their scheduling does cause congestion they cannot blame anyone else. I don't know if the additional departure area (with 100 seats) is yet in use, but that should result in there being a total of around 300 seats in departures, so it should be able to cope with at least 400 pax in departures at any one time without much discomfort. The possible maximums between 0630 and 0740 are about 550 pax and with three gates that should be manageable I would have thought.

I don't feel that SEN can be blamed for building a terminal of its present size (and it was always planned to extend it within a couple of years if necessary) because they couldn't know how successful it would prove. They've now moved to more than double its size as quickly as possible and in the interim to convert the admin office area into an additional 100-seat lounge, so they can't be accused of sitting on their hands. They also now have some experience of any shortcomings in the design of the current terminal and will make changes as necessary when building the extension.

Toxic Thrust
8th May 2012, 08:53
I recently travelled on on of the easyjet mid afternoon departures from the new terminal

On the whole I found a lot of positives. Check in was efficient, security were polite and thorough, all terminal concessions seem reasonably priced and friendly. I haven't seen as much brand new GSE in one place in years. New steps, Charlatte baggage tugs, Schopf F110 tugs, tow bars, bog carts, ambulifts, airport ops vehicles.

The issue of terminal size did strike me but purely from a persepctive of the depth of the building as 8 desks is sufficient for current volumes. We were on a mid afternoon departure and check in was no problem with 70 pax but at peak times it would be different. Similarly when they called our flight in departures and everone stood up we were qued back to WH Smiths. They then loaded us into the covered walkway outside to wait in there. I couldn't help feeling that there should be more depth to the terminal and the whole holding walkway effort should be inside.

I think the extensions in progress will give a roomier feel, although terminal depth will eventually need to be addressed sooner or later

On our return we really could have flown through the terminal and onto the London bound platform if that had been our method of travel The walk from stand 5 to the station is probably the quickest I have come accross and even closer than Southamptons platform. Having two handlers load onto the belt instead of one poor soul on his own would have made things just a little speedier. Only one arrival going on at that time so they need to throw in adequate staff resource at off peak as well as peak times

So for me a good experience.

TT

Tagron
8th May 2012, 10:05
I can't help feeling that this issue of congestion at SEN is somewhat overblown. Whilst accepting that there may be an issue with the early morning peak (and I don't know to what extent the newly released space will alleviate it) it should be clear enough from the arrivals/departures listing that for most of the day activity levels are still low. The perspective surely is that for many if not most passengers SEN will be a very uncrowded experience for some time to come.

Toxic Thrust's comments are worth noting. I tend to agree about the narrowness of the building. I was at Southampton recently, though on the landside only as at SEN. The greater depth of the landside area made for a much more roomy feel at SOU. I am not sure what SEN can do about this situation, if indeed they feel it needs to be addressed for the future. On the airside perhaps they could convert the start of the walkways to a gate lounge area, though I have to admit I can't assess the feasibility of such a change.

Toxic Thrust
8th May 2012, 10:37
It is all work in progress Tagron and I am sure the current early observations of travellers will be fixed.

Those comparing it to LTN etc are making pointless comparissons as SEN has never purported to be an airport that will handle anywhere near 10m pax per annum. They are ultimately pitching at 1 - 2m pax per annum and even that some years down the road and after much more work.

Another mistake people make is thinking that everyone is going to central London. Most of the people on my flight were from Southend and its environs. Just as many peops will come from Basildon, Billericay, Canvey, Brentwood, Romford etc. There is something very quaint and friendly about parking the car outside or getting off the train and taking a few steps to the aeroplane. Places like STN and LTN have lost all that long ago as you walk through a maze of tunnels and walkways. It reminded me of how air travel used to be

TT

Fairdealfrank
8th May 2012, 20:35
Quote: "There is something very quaint and friendly about parking the car outside or getting off the train and taking a few steps to the aeroplane. Places like STN and LTN have lost all that long ago as you walk through a maze of tunnels and walkways. It reminded me of how air travel used to be"

That is SEN's unique selling point, so would expect it to be a success.

mart901
9th May 2012, 14:29
EIR new service to Dublin commences tomorrow! Anyone any idea which aircraft is being based and what the crewing arrangements are, i.e. are Dublin based crew being over nighted?

Barling Magna
9th May 2012, 15:30
The Airport website shows an Aer Lingus Regional flight arriving at 1840 from Dublin this evening. Flight Number RE330P, which is presumably a positioning flight, so presumably the aircrew are going to enjoy the delights of the Essex Riviera tonight.....

j636
9th May 2012, 20:01
EI regional positioned an aircraft from DUB just after 19.00 ready to operate the new DUB flights which start in the morning.

mikkie4
9th May 2012, 21:16
will it be the same plane doing all the flights or will they change them?

EI-A330-300
9th May 2012, 22:38
most of the flights will be done with the same aircraft. A few flights on certain day/weeks are scheduled as a ATR 72 wihich will overnight in SEN the odd night.

Jack1985
9th May 2012, 22:52
most of the flights will be done with the same aircraft

Errmm No. The same aircraft type yes but certainly not the same aircraft they change around quite regularly.

EI-A330-300
9th May 2012, 22:56
I ment the same type of aircraft:ok:

Aer Lingus has also started running radio/newpaper adds over here have they done the same in SEN?

Shamrock350
9th May 2012, 22:58
Aer Arann rotate aircraft around different bases quite regularly, one aircraft will probably operate for a few weeks before being moved. It looks like an ATR 72 will operate the first few flights before switching to the ATR 42.

Aer Lingus have regular advertising campaigns in the UK, radio and newspaper adverts are almost constant and SEN has been included. There was a flashmob promoting the new route, the SEN YouTube account put a video up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKCHgwzMjhw

dc9-32
10th May 2012, 05:03
The Chavs looked impressed by it all :)

Tagron
11th May 2012, 16:51
In answer to the questions about EI Regional crewing arrangements, the following is now included in the statement on the SEN website about the DUB route inauguration::

10 May is also the official opening of a new Aer Lingus Regional base at London Southend Airport. A total of fifteen Aer Lingus Regional staff - including pilots and cabin crew – are now permanently located at London Southend.

GMIMA
11th May 2012, 23:42
Easyjet possibly hoping to add a CDG SEN rotation. South east England needs a connection to Paris

Phileas Fogg
12th May 2012, 01:27
"possibly hoping" doesn't sound very hopeful ... possibly :=

LTNman
12th May 2012, 05:36
It has always surprised me that Easyjet kept its Luton–Paris route after the Eurostar terminus was moved to St Pancras International, which is as little as 20minutes away from Luton by train if passengers catch the non stop service.

Southend–Paris could well work as the travel time from Southend to St Pancras is 1 hour 20 minutes away by train and tube. I would have thought that a Southend service would attract its passengers from the local catchment area rather than London based passengers but I could be completely wrong.

Expressflight
12th May 2012, 07:18
I feel there may be a few routes like CDG which easyJet might feel inclined to try from SEN. It's one of those for which it is really difficult to predict the results - obviously there is considerable demand for travel from SEN's core catchment area to Paris, but how much of that easyJet could attract is open to debate.

The April CAA provisional stats should become public on Monday and the debate here on what they show for SEN will be interesting. I'm not really sure myself.

Barling Magna
12th May 2012, 08:20
Yes, a nervous few days ahead for Southend - CAA stats early next week, and Southend United in the play-offs! I think I'll take a win on aggregate for both the stats and the play-offs.....

Expressflight
13th May 2012, 07:52
From reports I've had the SEN-DUB seems to have got off to a good start with all three daily flights achieving reasonable load factors. This week it's being operated by an ATR42 but next weekend will see an ATR72 back on the route for a few days.

mart901
13th May 2012, 08:16
Which aircraft have they been using? EI-CBK would be the best 42 to launch something I guess given its in full livery. Great that the routes gone live with 3 x daily frequency and looking at the schedules and gap in flight numbers it could easily be increased to 4 x daily, or maybe another route launched? NOC? SNN?

Expressflight
13th May 2012, 08:43
Yes, it was EI-CBK for the past couple of days.

There isn't sufficient slack in the schedule to operate an additional rotation to either of the destinations that you mention. I'm sure they'll leave it at 3 x daily SEN-DUB for the summer, with an ATR72 substituted when loads warrant it.

I believe there has been quite a bit of interest in through bookings to the US city destinations on offer via this route, with the SEN management stressing that no such service is available from either LTN or STN.

LTNman
13th May 2012, 09:54
Good passenger loads does not always mean a successful route but it helps. It’s what the passenger’s pay for their tickets that counts. 100 passengers paying an average of £40 before tax will earn the airline less than just 50 passengers paying an average of £85.

EI-BUD
13th May 2012, 10:36
Good passenger loads does not always mean a successful route but it helps.
It’s what the passenger’s pay for their tickets that counts. 100 passengers
paying an average of £40 before tax will earn the airline less than just 50
passengers paying an average of £85.

LTNman, I think everyone would understand this, but this is a brand new route and the focus at this time will be to bring attention to the new service, I think AerArann/Aer Lingus have done a good job of that. Yes they will want to make sufficient margin, the initial measures of success will certainly be around load factors.

Best of Luck to EIR on the new route... Will also be good to see Aer Arann getting a place on the busy Dublin / London market.

EI-BUD

EI-A330-300
13th May 2012, 12:34
with an ATR72 substituted when loads warrant it.

There will be a few ATR 72 flight over next weekend for the rugby match in London.

mart901
14th May 2012, 08:37
Anyone know why there was a positioning flight in today, landed 6.26am.

Expressflight
14th May 2012, 08:45
I believe it was to operate the 0700 DUB in place of the SEN-based aircraft which seems to be tech.

EI-BUD
14th May 2012, 15:04
First month of stats since SEN Easyjet service as follows:

Amsterdam 9779
Belfast Intl 8945
Faro 5947
Alicante 5777
Istanbul 333 (charter)
Cologne 124 (charter)
Waterford 2839
Total -------> 33,744
Annualised 404, 928...... not a bad start! Vis a Vis stated goal of 2M...
Not all routes (Scheduled) were flying from day 1

It would appear that STN figures on some of the routes were hit, e.g Faro, Amsterdam, Alicante, though Belfast STN did well overall, with Bmibaby seeing over 10k on the route and Easyjet taking a drop of 5K for the month over LY. Early days to draw conclusions..

EI-BUD

Expressflight
14th May 2012, 16:27
The full passenger total for April was 41,626.

Those routes not mentioned by EI-BUD:

Barcelona 7,446
Ibiza 100 (one flight)
Carmoli 145
Unknown 191

A rough calculation of load factor suggests:

AMS 65%
ALC 83%
BCN 82%
BFS 58%
FAO 71%
WAT 65%

The above may not be wholely accurate as flight frequencies changed over the month as a whole, but they probably give a rough approximation to reality.

vulcanised
14th May 2012, 16:45
I would suggest that those figures are very encouraging, especially given the time of year that they relate to.

Expressflight
17th May 2012, 07:10
I'm very surprised at the deafening silence that the April figures have produced on this thread.

Surely at least LTNman has an opinion on them.

mart901
17th May 2012, 08:17
Please spare us! I know its early days and long before CAA stats will come out but does anyone in the know have an idea what kind of loads are going on the DUB route? Its one I notice is available to book into winter.

JonEMA
17th May 2012, 08:31
Any airline can fill seats. Yield is what matters..!!

Aero Mad
17th May 2012, 08:51
Any airline can fill seats. Yield is what matters..!! Seems to be becoming rather clichéd on PPRuNe. Everyone who bangs on about yield is totally ignoring the fact that we do not have 'yields' figures, and CAA stats/load factors are the only way to gauge the success of a route or of an airport; it's either that or nothing. So every month when the stats come out, will you please not tell us that it is yield which matters - because we have no way of knowing what the yield might be :ugh:. Rant over but you get the message.

mart901
17th May 2012, 08:58
In the absence of load figures to critcise folk start shouting about yield and how easyjet have offered low fares - how many routes do easyjet launch without low fares, I thought that was the business model! When the flights launched atc problems caused delays and people we're slating it as a bad launch. Its all green eyed monster talk in the end.

Tagron
17th May 2012, 08:58
Maybe the reason for the lack of commentary is that with 397 SEN posts in the five weeks since the thread was started there is nothing new left to say.
FWIW EasyJet have expressed themselves publicly as "very pleased" with the start of operations at SEN. But then they would say that wouldn't they ?

pug
17th May 2012, 10:36
Everyone who bangs on about yield is totally ignoring the fact that we do not have 'yields' figures, and CAA stats/load factors are the only way to gauge the success of a route or of an airport; it's either that or nothing.

JonEMA is right, however I believe you can more accuractely judge the success of a low-cost flight through load factors than you could of a legacy carrier. I think it was Stelios that said, as a rule of thumb, they need a 70% load to break even. That was a while ago though and things may have changed.

JonEMA
17th May 2012, 13:16
.......EasyJet had avg LFs of around 90% whilst at EMA but still packed up and left complaining of low yield...

Chat about loads by all means but they are in no way an indicator of success.

pug
17th May 2012, 13:32
EasyJet had avg LFs of around 90% whilst at EMA but still packed up and left complaining of low yield

They were in direct competition with other operators, and I'm sure they also pursued a policy of minimum three aircraft at their bases? Either way I agree that yields are key to determine the financial success of any route.

LTNman
17th May 2012, 18:31
They were in direct competition with other operators

Yes but Easyjet are in competition with themselves from the services they already operate or could operate from other London Airports particularly Stansted. With BAA Stansted being sold the new operator will be looking at airports around it and seeing if they can offer a deal to attract business back to Stansted or new business that airports like Southend would be keen to get. When it comes to financial clout Sobart could find itself struggling for business if it goes head to head with the new owners of Stansted.

Luton was a victim of this many years ago when BAA enticed Ryanair and TNT to Stansted from Luton.

pug
17th May 2012, 18:43
With BAA Stansted being sold the new operator will be looking at airports around it and seeing if they can offer a deal to attract business back to Stansted or new business that airports like Southend would be keen to get.

One of the concerns that MAG have highlighted regarding STN is the over-reliance on the two main low-cost carriers.

Whether the easyjet operations impact, or are affected by, their STN flights remains to be seen.

tws123
19th May 2012, 08:44
New start-up airline hopes to create a new base at Rotterdam with several routes including SEN, using 2 based aircraft at Rotterdam (apparently F-50 or Jetstream 32 aircraft). Plans to put tickets on sale from 11th June 2012 with flights starting on the 17th September 2 x daily. Seems a bit more legit than other start-up airlines - but who really knows whether or not it is real or if it WILL actually start!? :hmm:
Take a look - Europort Express - connecting you to Europort (http://europortexpress.com)

dc9-32
19th May 2012, 11:54
reminds me of the "failed to get off the ground" NOW Airlines who were to be based at LTN.

Phileas Fogg
19th May 2012, 11:59
As I recall being informed at the time NOW were to go in to direct competition with EZY and, indeed, their initial aircraft were to be ex EZY B737's which EZY were to return to the lessor.

Well somewhat unsurprisingly EZY extended the leases on those B737's putting NOW up sh1t creek and without a paddle. :)

frostbite
19th May 2012, 12:14
Southend gain at the expense of Stansted?

Passengers choose Southend over rival (From Echo) (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/9712657.Passengers_choose_Southend_over_rival/)

dc9-32
19th May 2012, 13:04
How could NOW have made money selling seats to TFS at the same price as those to say AMS ?? Europort Express will be in the same boat surely...

Musket90
19th May 2012, 21:30
Frostbite
The Echo fails to mention that Easyjet have reduced the frequency of the routes out of Stansted and that this reduction is now being flown from Southend because the three based aircraft were previously at Stansted. So it doesn't necessarily mean passengers are choosing Southend over Stansted.
Having said that, Southend have gained at Stansted's expense having the three ex-Stansted aircraft now based.

Fairdealfrank
20th May 2012, 01:45
Quote: "Southend gain at the expense of Stansted?

Passengers choose Southend over rival (From Echo) (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/9712657.Passengers_choose_Southend_over_rival/)"

Not surprising, all things being equal, SEN has the advantages of a small, hassle-free, regional airport with a railway station attached.

crewmeal
20th May 2012, 05:42
Not surprising, all things being equal, SEN has the advantages of a small, hassle-free, regional airport with a railway station attached.

You only have to see why after that brilliant song by Fasinating Aida!

tws123
20th May 2012, 10:17
Cheap flights cheap flights!!

SteveCoops
20th May 2012, 23:33
I got back from Dublin visiting family this morning to Southend - living in Leigh it's so much better than going from Stansted as I used to, and I'll certainly be doing it again as it's a £10 taxi to home in Leigh.

I went Tuesday afternoon on an ATR42-300 (EI-BYO - this one in fact - Report: Aer Arann AT42 near Isle of Man on Oct 7th 2008, smoke in cabin (http://www.avherald.com/h?article=414e8285&opt=0)) and came back this morning on an ATR72-500 (EI-REM) with a very bouncy and not very straight landing :) I have never been on a prop plane before (well, a more than 2 seater one) and found the ATR72 a much quieter experience.

Just 14 people going and about 12 coming back.

tophat27dt
22nd May 2012, 12:04
I flew to Ibiza and back with the family last week for £50 each and have no complaints about Easyjet, but two other issues I did have. Mainly on returning to SEN at 2230 it was only 10C and yet the walk from the furthest stand to the "warmth" of the tiny passport control room was subjected to the cold wind because the south facing part of the covered walkway is not glassed. For my elderly parents it's was a poor end to the holiday. Why is there no glass on the side of this walkway? The second is issue was how slow the handling agents were in Ibiza.....some of us (140pax) were queueing for one hour! I remain 100% a Southend supporter.

mart901
22nd May 2012, 13:58
Steve -

Out of interest has ei-byo been painted in aer lingus colours yet and does it have the new leather seat interior? Last time I saw it it was in a modified aer arann colour scheme.

Barling Magna
24th May 2012, 11:27
SEN is now officially the jewel in Stobart's crown.

Southend Airport: The jewel in Stobart's crown (From Echo) (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/southend/9718423.Southend_Airport__The_jewel_in_Stobart_s_crown/)

.... why have Stobart got a crown, though.....? :)

Fairdealfrank
24th May 2012, 12:19
The Jewel in Eddie's Crown

Excellent news! CAX next?

Is this the template on how to get a small regional airport up and running d successful?

Barling Magna
24th May 2012, 13:16
Of course, Eddie's the King of Carlisle, isn't he.......

rowly6339
24th May 2012, 21:21
Stobarts are doing a great job at sen but if some of you worked for them you would be shocked at the treatment of staff, no doubt the people working for them at sen will soon find out for themselves.

mikkie4
24th May 2012, 23:01
do tell more

SWBKCB
25th May 2012, 04:53
Is this the template on how to get a small regional airport up and running d successful?

Is SEN a regional airport? Does have the advantage of being on the doorstep of the capital.

cjags
25th May 2012, 16:09
If anybody is off to the airshow tomorrow (Saturday) easyjet's 200th airbus is supposedly doing a low pass in the afternoon.

8674planes
25th May 2012, 16:59
I am going both days. Typhoons,Hawks,Tucano's and tutor are currently at Southend Airport

Fairdealfrank
25th May 2012, 17:05
Quote: "Is SEN a regional airport?"

YES

Quote: "Does have the advantage of being on the doorstep of the capital."

YES

Just like LCY, and maybe NHT one day (who can say)

GMIMA
27th May 2012, 11:57
Hi

I have now flown in and out of SEN, here is what I thought.

Clearly the facility is too small, security staff seem friendly, lady looking at boarding cards very slow indeed, causing back log. There needs to be someone stood at the bottom of escalator telling pax about fluids etc in clear bags as space is so tight upstairs causes a bottle neck.

On arrival. All the punters stood outside waiting to clear boarder control, great in summer, but in the winter, with elderly and babies, will be a different story.

More shops and facilities are required. Boots, costa or Starbucks, food village etc.

But apart from the above, it's a great airport to fly into and out off, it's defo my favourite over LGW, LTN, STN

mart901
1st Jun 2012, 07:44
Anyone know why germania are doing a Dublin flight tonight?

Expressflight
1st Jun 2012, 08:07
Positioning after the inbound Ford charter I believe.

SteveCoops
5th Jun 2012, 12:24
Steve -

Out of interest has ei-byo been painted in aer lingus colours yet and does it have the new leather seat interior? Last time I saw it it was in a modified aer arann colour scheme.

Sorry not been on this forum in a while - it was still white with Aer Arann logos on it.

http://www.steve-cooper.co.uk/ei-byo.jpg

mart901
5th Jun 2012, 13:16
Thanks Steve. That has had a respray and the under carriage is in EI grey. Whats the interior like? Does it have the new leather seats?

Phileas Fogg
5th Jun 2012, 13:26
Are we in "Spotters Corner"?

asdf1234
6th Jun 2012, 08:21
Phileas - I made a similar comment a few months back. Better luck with the response you get this time - last time my comments weren't welcome.

There is more to SEN than the colour of the aircraft using it. How about rumours on the next phase of development? What is to happen to the old terminal, the cargo shed and Viscount House? Why has all North Side development stalled? When will the Lancaster be asked to vacate to make room for a car park?

fatmed
6th Jun 2012, 09:56
Hope this article helps regards the future development of airport site.

4,000 jobs promised at Anglia Ruskin MedTech Campus near Southend Airport (From Echo) (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/southend/9725567.4_000_jobs_promised_at_Anglia_Ruskin_MedTech_Campus_ _near_Southend_Airport/)

8674planes
6th Jun 2012, 11:07
One of the waitresses in the Lancaster said that their safe where they are for 3 years. Stobart do not want them their as they are in the middle of their development work.

LEWIS APPLEBY
6th Jun 2012, 12:42
Any ideas why there were no ford flights on the airport arrivals or departures page today, have they finished?

8674planes
7th Jun 2012, 10:27
they only operate certain days of the week. Mostly during the weekend and on monday.

SteveCoops
8th Jun 2012, 13:40
Aren't they leaving the old cafe in the old terminal for now as some old folk like using it for an afternoon tea and cake? Stobart have no use so are leaving it for now.

LTNman
8th Jun 2012, 17:18
Thanks Steve. That has had a respray and the under carriage is in EI grey. Whats the interior like? Does it have the new leather seats?

Are we in "Spotters Corner"?

Take no notice.mart901 The usual suspects here would prefer no Southend posts for a couple of weeks at a time if the posts don’t meet their approval. If the aircraft operates into Southend what's the problem and what's the harm?

mart901
8th Jun 2012, 23:29
LTNman thanks mate but I'm too thick skinned lol! I won't either embroil myself in silly airport rivalry that goes on between posters - in the end every airport is in the same boat they are seeking to grow PAX and profit, period.

carlrsymington
9th Jun 2012, 00:21
Guys,
Be Nice....from a semi-retired spotter who went to Safend in 1981, all the way from Belfast (via Gravesend cousins)and & had their first ever McDonald's. I can understand why the spotters remark on one or two unusual movements but I'm also really pleased & interested to see Stobart & Easyjet making it happen and how it works out.
Now there is a another direct link between Belfast & Southend I might even go & visit the Gravesend cousins again.But this time I will give McDonald's a miss. After all it only took 15 seconds from placing my order to having it placed in my hand!!!!!! The confusion on my face must have been priceless.

Back to the more important theme of Southend & aircraft not McDonalds.

LTNman
9th Jun 2012, 07:42
The photo in post 430, was that taken at Southend? I seem to remember the radar as being from Southend but when I first saw the photo I thought I was looking at some hub airport due to the mix of aircraft in the background. I guess that might be one of the maintenance areas.

Taking of maintenance at Southend would the extended runway benefit any of these companies or is the aircraft size limit down to the size of the hanagars?

Barling Magna
9th Jun 2012, 08:37
Yes, that's the new SEN. Taken from the ramp outside the new passenger terminal, looking across to one of the spray and maintenance areas. The eclectic mix of types and colour schemes has always made SEN interesting. The extended runway might allow larger types to visit empty - that's a good point.

Phileas Fogg
9th Jun 2012, 10:08
But the runway width may eliminate wide-bodies except, perhaps, by authority dispensations!

Barling Magna
9th Jun 2012, 10:56
True enough. I remember a Tristar landing on the old runway, but it left in very small pieces.....they were different days. Perhaps an A330 will be able to land, and take off, from the extended runway - but they would need special permission.

Phileas Fogg
9th Jun 2012, 13:29
BM,

A certain SC5 operator, shortly before they went bankrupt, decided on a cost saving measure of performing A300-B4 maintenance at their SEN facility, well an A300 might be considered an old fashioned A330, the nonsense they had to go through, test landings in Manston, training Captain(s) only etc, before the CAA (Campaign Against Aviation) would allow them A300 ferry flights in/out SEN ... and due to SEN's runway width rather than length.

mikkie4
9th Jun 2012, 21:19
1,how wide is the runway? 2,how much wider would it need to be to take a wider bodied jet? 3,would it be possible to add the extra width to the present runway/taxiways without causing to much agro?

**777lover**
9th Jun 2012, 21:24
Rumour has it, a certain Kazakhstan operator is interested in using a large maintainence operator based at Southend on their 76's to join the rest of the fleet that has its maintainence undertaken at SEN. Main thing holding them back is the hanger size, not the runway length nor width.

frostbite
9th Jun 2012, 21:34
Always worth bearing in mind the thorn on the side which is the D138 complex.

It is unlikely to go away in the foreseeable future and it could restrict further growth.

Tagron
9th Jun 2012, 22:28
The Southend runway width is 37m. It cannot be widened due to limitations of the runway strip width requirement. The runway strip is already infringed by the church and there is a dispensation in place to take account of it.

An empty B767 positioning to or from maintenance would have no performance difficulties operating at SEN. Boeing recommended crosswind limits for a standard 45m runway are valid for runway widths down to 35m for a B767. The 06 turning circle looks inadequate for a 767-300 in which case a 06 departure or a 24 arrival would require the assistance of a pushback truck. This would close the runway while the operation was being carried out.

As regards hangar size some operators use movable enclosures that effectively increase the size of aircraft that can be accommodated, though I cannot say if this would be feasible at SEN due to site limitations.

LTNman
10th Jun 2012, 05:44
Also I believe that some of the taxiways are not the "standard width" so could not even handle a 737.

Barling Magna
10th Jun 2012, 08:05
Wow! Someone ought to tell Jet2 and Germania who have been operating 737-300s on the Ford services since January....... Maybe you mean 737-800s? I hope that's true, so that Ryanair won't be tempted intop SEN.

Barling Magna
10th Jun 2012, 09:21
Now here's some innovative advertising for the SEN to DUB schedule, following on from the flash dance (or whatever you'd call it) at Lakeside shopping centre:

Racecard | 16:00 Fly London Southend To Dublin Levy Board Handicap | Newmarket | Sky Sports Horse Racing (http://www1.skysports.com/racing/racecards/newmarket/09-06-2012/502767/fly-london-southend-to-dublin-levy-board-handicap)

Let's hope the load factors show this is money well spent.....

Tagron
10th Jun 2012, 10:56
The published taxiway widths at SEN are 15m for A and C, 27m for B. 15m is in accordance with airport Code 3C design parameters for all variants of the 737.

One issue that may arise with taxiway C is that the section parallel with the runway is less than the required separation from the runway centreline under Code 3C design criteria. Presumably this is not of great operational significance at present but maybe if and when traffic volume rises significantly from present levels Stobarts will wish to address it.

Expressflight
12th Jun 2012, 08:02
The airport Holiday Inn currently under construction is due to open in the last week of July, adding yet another key feature to SEN's redevelopment.

Barling Magna
14th Jun 2012, 10:03
Latest passenger fuigures, for May 2012, show:

Cologne 192
Dublin 3497
Waterford 3138
Amsterdam 11783
Faro 8253
Alicante 7138
Barcelona 7111
Ibiza 2975
Malaga 7010
Palma 3792
Istanbul 398

Difficult to believe the transformation in SEN's scheduled service fortunes since those quiet years, so recent in the memory, when only a flyBE Dash 8 disturbed the peace on a Saturday...... Brilliant!!!!

maliyahsdad2
14th Jun 2012, 10:04
Provisional passenger numbers for May SOUTHEND 66783
year so far 146294

Barling Magna
14th Jun 2012, 10:10
I forgot the two domestic destinations:

Belfast 7974
Jersey 3269

mart901
14th Jun 2012, 11:31
All good. Dublin only operated for 20 days so would be more like 5000 pax on a 30 day month and didn't affect Waterford which correct me if I'm wrong has never before topped 3000? I'm sure the other routes must be hitting Stansted. Now lets wait for the "they need to make yield" mob to start posting on here!

vulcanised
14th Jun 2012, 11:42
Really is getting impressive, and we're still not at peak times yet.

My only gripe is opposite to most folk - despite living only two miles from SEN (NW) I hardly see anything these days since the runway extension means they lift later. Used to have the ATRs overhead but don't see them now.

UN614
14th Jun 2012, 11:56
Does anyone have an idea on load factors for those routes? Particularly domestic and Ireland. I'm not familiar with the schedules so am struggling to get an idea.

PPRuNeUser0176
14th Jun 2012, 13:28
DUB had a LF of 55% for first 22 days of operation, Rugby match in London would of helped.

WAT had LF of 59% from what I can see.

Barling Magna
15th Jun 2012, 09:31
My rough calculations for load factors in May are as follows, assuming a 156-seat layout in the EZY mini-buses and that all flights operated as scheduled:

Faro 85% (v. 71% in April)
Alicante 75% (v. 83% in April)
Barcelona 74% (v. 82% in April)
Ibiza 74%
Malaga 72%
Amsterdam 71% (v. 65% in April)
Palma 69%
Belfast 61% (v. 58% in April)
Jersey 60%

Early days. And what about the yield I hear you ask.......... only time will tell when EZY review their services, but this seems a good start to me. Only surprise is the Jersey figure, but maybe the dreadful weather has affected travel decisions there. Roll on summer..........

Expressflight
15th Jun 2012, 11:14
I suppose the JER load factor is low partially due to the fact that the route didn't start until May, so the first few rotations wouldn't have had much SEN inbound traffic.

Regarding ALC and AGP I didn't think they operated daily until 18th of the month, so I make the load factors 88% and 80% respectively, although I'm open to correction on that.

Early days as you say, but quite promising I would suggest. The next peak season three months should give a better indication though.

Barling Magna
15th Jun 2012, 13:35
That's good news. Perhaps the information on start dates that I used was out-of-date. It was certainly printed several months ago.

I know that Stobart only used the Olympics as a touchstone, but I wonder if the Olympics really will cause a flood of visitors via SEN?

Steviec9
19th Jun 2012, 16:41
Noticed today that 'Trains for Southend Airport' has started appearing on tube car line diagrams for lines stopping at Liverpool Street and Stratford, to match the existing 'Trains for Heathrow/Luton/Stansted/Gatwick' at their interchanges.

Excellent. SEN is well and truly establishing itself. :D

Barling Magna
20th Jun 2012, 10:39
Yes, good news. If I read this Northern Irish article correctly, easyjet are proposing increasing the flights from BFS to SEN in October. There have been low load factors on that route, so its an interesting point. Maybe they are thinking about Aer Lingus' rumoured move to Belfast Harbour?

easyJet announces extra London flights - UTV Live News (http://www.u.tv/News/easyJet-announces-extra-London-flights/8c60afe0-2a2f-49a3-bfec-53d97699b26c)

Expressflight
20th Jun 2012, 12:22
I shall be very surprised if they do increase the frequency of the SEN-BFS flights at the end of October. I can see them adjusting the scheduling in the light of experience so far, but it's hard to see where an extra rotation could be usefully added.

Lord Gumboil Jnr.
20th Jun 2012, 22:22
What is required is an early morning out of Belfast with a BFS based aircraft.
No train connection problems then to London.

Expressflight
22nd Jun 2012, 07:56
The Department for Communites has decided not to call in the planning application for the extension of the passenger terminal at SEN, this having been provisionally approved by Rochford Council some weeks ago.

Presumably this means that construction work will begin in the autumn.

Captain_Caveman
22nd Jun 2012, 10:57
I see that Southend's runway was closed yesterday morning for a while due to cut grass clippings....

Aviation's version of leaves on the line !!!!

:D

tophat27dt
22nd Jun 2012, 13:54
Yes, after grass cutting, apparently a helicopter hover-taxied out and blew the grass onto the runway......so i assume this is a problem for the Airbuses? The turboprops were not affected. Anyway, the delay was only 45 minutes. Almost laughable, these modern ages!

fatmed
5th Jul 2012, 18:09
Taken directly from SEN website today. Seems like a good if not short term deal.

London Southend Airport is delighted to announce an exclusive new partnership with Landmark Aviation to handle business jets during summer 2012.

Landmark Aviation is one of the world’s largest fixed based operators of business jets. It has 52 bases across the USA, Canada and France and a strong reputation for safety and excellent customer service.

The partnership will see Landmark utilising the exclusive new business jet facilities at London Southend Airport, offering their customers unrivalled access to the Olympic Park at Stratford and the City of London.

pabely
5th Jul 2012, 21:05
Is this just an agreement for the Olympics? Sounds like just an agent for the current handling or am I reading the Press Releases wrong?

LTNman
5th Jul 2012, 21:54
The partnership will see Landmark utilising the exclusive new business jet facilities at London Southend Airport

So what facilities are these then?

Expressflight
6th Jul 2012, 07:06
LTNman

I'm surprised that you are asking that question, because I know you've been following that very discussion on the PPRuNe Biz-Jet forum recently, where I explained what has been done.

For others interested, the old terminal airside area has been re-developed to provide an up to date FBO handling facility. This offers five stands immediately in front of the facility with kerbside drop-off/pick-up in front of the building, using a separate aîrport entrance and with the 129-room Holiday Inn 100 metres away.

Landmark certainly sound enthusiastic about the facilities on offer in their statement and the two Luton-brigade posts here suggests they're not very happy about it, which is encouraging.

pabely
6th Jul 2012, 16:40
Sorry, I thought I was asking a decent question.
Shall I ask a different way, are Landmark leasing the facilties for a long period of time or just acting as agents for the current airport handling? The press release does not read as a new facility or taking over an existing operation. Note the 'exclusive' in the press release, wrong side utilising or am I just being too harsh?

I'm sure EGGS FBOs will be very worried after all the heavy VVIP will disappear!

Good luck to EGMC but if it was a golden oppertunity you would have thought one of the bigger FBOs would have marched in. If you need to call a Manager at Landmark you have to call France so this is just an agency hook-up? This is nothing to do with LTN vs STN vs SEN.

SWBKCB
6th Jul 2012, 17:38
From both the Southend Airport and Landmark websites, does appear to be only for the Olympics.

Expressflight
7th Jul 2012, 08:04
I think it's probably correct to say that the current deal is just to cover the next couple of months of increased bizjet activity/demand (if that actually happens), although whether both parties see it leading to a long term agreement I don't know. Possibly Landmark see an opportunity here to expand into the UK market.

The good news for SEN though is that they will now have a high quality, dedicated FBO facility and a major player in that market has endorsed that fact. I'm sure that Andrew Tinkler will have had a major say in the facilities that are being provided and I just cannot see him settling for second best in terms of quality - he knows what he expects elsewhere for his F900 handling.

It's all due for final completion in about 10 days time when, hopefully, some photographs will become available.

stluke
17th Jul 2012, 11:36
Any provisional stats for June yet?

maliyahsdad2
17th Jul 2012, 11:40
77580 passengers last month.

218586 passengers (rolling 12 months)

BELFAST INTERNATIONAL 10508
JERSEY 4263
SUNDERLAND 103 ???
CORK 67 ??
DUBLIN 4239
WATERFORD 2735
AMSTERDAM 11539
FARO 9635
ALBACETE 142
ALICANTE 8634
BARCELONA 8322
IBIZA 3153
MALAGA 8559
PALMA DE MALLORCA 4806
ISTANBUL (S GOKCEN) 333
COLOGNE BONN 212

plus 560 others not listed ??

Fairdealfrank
17th Jul 2012, 15:58
Quote: "SUNDERLAND 103"

Sunderland has an airport with scheduled flights!?

Or are these going through MME, NCL, etc.?

stluke
17th Jul 2012, 18:16
Thanks for the quick reply, on first glance the numbers look increasing impressive although the Irish routes could see some further improvement.

tax haven
17th Jul 2012, 19:29
easyjet from Jersey is not advertised well, and the flight times are poor!
need early morning flight would get lots of business passengers who travel to gatwick. been to southend lovely and easy airport will use again..

MARKEYD
26th Jul 2012, 16:36
Looks like Thomson / First Choice are going to be the first company entering into the Southend IT market next summer 2013 with the launch of good old Palma

Flights operate on a Tue and Sat using Germania Airlines A319 aircraft with a departure time of 0730 and return back at 1330 throughout the summer season

Expressflight
26th Jul 2012, 16:59
It's also reported that IATA have agreed to the official designation of SEN as London Southend and that it will be shown as such in future.

Does this amount to 'official' acceptance of SEN as London's sixth airport?

mart901
26th Jul 2012, 17:06
Nothing on Thomson website

Ernest Lanc's
26th Jul 2012, 21:14
Expressflight

The EZY website has Southend listed as "London Southend", on the dropdown list on their booking site.
London Southend Airport Guide | easyJet.com (http://www.easyjet.com/en/airport/London-Southend)

mikkie4
26th Jul 2012, 21:36
its been called london southend airport from day 1 (as far as i know)

Ernest Lanc's
26th Jul 2012, 21:48
On airline drop down menues?

It is listed as Southend here.

Cheap Holidays | Cheap Holiday Deals | Low Cost Holidays | icelolly (http://www.icelolly.com/?gclid=CNHX5J-puLEC****tAodKF4A1g)

mikkie4
26th Jul 2012, 22:02
what do you expect from these cheep holiday sites,they will soon have LONDON SOUTHEND on their dropdown menu,easyjet along with aer lingus have always called our airport LONDON SOUTHEND

Ernest Lanc's
26th Jul 2012, 22:07
Yep I know..I said two posts ago that EZY had SEN and London Southend.

I just wonder what these sites that differ, put on the travel documentation..London Southend, or Southend.

mikkie4
26th Jul 2012, 22:10
WITH THOMSON/FIRST CHOICE USING AN A319 FROM GERMANIA AIRLINES.WHAT OTHER CHARTERS USE A319 OR SMALLER BOEING 737s AS THERE STILL SEEMS TO BE SOME DEBATE STILL WETHER A FULLY LOADED 737-800 COULD USE SEN DUE TO ITS LENGTH OF RUNWAY?

LTNman
27th Jul 2012, 05:40
When Ryanair used to run a service from Blackpool to Stansted they used to have sections of seats roped off and that is only around 200 miles

Tagron
27th Jul 2012, 07:20
One reason for the apparently poor runway performance of the 738 is that Ryanair's aircraft (some, all, ? I don't know) are only rated at 24200 lbs take off thrust. Other UK operators use 27,300lbs rated engines. That would make a significant difference to payload/range capabilities off limiting runways.

Maybe there are some 738 operators reading this who could comment in more detail.

Expressflight
27th Jul 2012, 08:13
To clarify a couple of the points mentioned above:

The name that an airline gives to an airport in its commercial marketing is very much its own choice, so the use of London Southend by easyJet and others is simply making use of a marketing name. Similarly a number of airports add the prefix London (London Oxford I think is the most recent) for marketing purposes. The difference now for SEN is that throughout the world SEN/EGMC will appear in airline documentation and data sources as London Southend giving it very much greater profile in such areas as route and flight planning. One example would be client requesting an airline or broker for a charter to 'London' whereby SEN will now appear as one of the choice of six London airports on various databases from which the airline/broker will make their choice of destination.

As far as the 738 is concerned it is very unlikely that it could operate with sufficient payload from SEN to make it economically attractive to any airline. It's quite possible that SEN see this as an advantage as it keeps it out of the clutches of a certain large European airline and protects its customer airlines from that carrier's predatory tactics.

frostbite
27th Jul 2012, 11:35
The sign outside the airport has said London Southend for at least 20 years.

As Expressflight says, it's up to individual operators how they describe it.

Phileas Fogg
27th Jul 2012, 12:54
An excellent decision by SEN to extend the runway just long enough to keep the (Irish) B738 riff raff out :)

davidjohnson6
27th Jul 2012, 13:19
Is this the first time an airport in Europe has managed to selectively allow only their preferred airlines to operate by legal means while still being able to say that they are a public use airport ?
Would have thought that if a rival to Easyjet had wanted to operate and anything iffy was going on, the threat of issuing proceedings in court would have been made by now

vulcanised
27th Jul 2012, 14:21
Are you suggesting that SEN have actively blocked an airline?

Strange question.

tws123
27th Jul 2012, 16:28
I really don't think the airport would design its runway to keep certain airlines out. After all, the airport it trying to expand the number of flights not limit them, so if and airline like Ryanair came along, they wouldn't turn their noses up at them, that would be stupid and a large amount of business would be lost out on. :ugh: I'm sure the airport built the runway as a long as they could (or to what ever length made financial sense). I also think that the airport won't expand around EasyJet's demands. There is nothing wrong with competition even in a smaller airport! :ok:

Tagron
27th Jul 2012, 16:57
The length of the SEN runway extension and the declared distances are a function of the physical constraints of the site and the controlling legislation. The fact that this could keep a certain airline out is just a half-serious rationalisation, trying to put a positive spin on a negative situation.