PDA

View Full Version : Eurocontrol Testing and Interviews

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Rutele
26th May 2010, 17:52
Well, I guess it's good news then.. I will be 24 this September', so 25 next.. I can't find it back now but when I started looking last year I remember finding something like that: 'you must to be younger than 25 on 1st of October assuming that you start in September'. In such situation I would be 9 days too old :ugh:

Again, life is full of closed doors but you can always try getting through the windows... :p

Rutele
26th May 2010, 18:00
I found the sentence again under outdated FAQ of Eurocontrol:
'Not yet be 25 years of age on 1 October 2008.'

EUROCONTROL - Frequently Asked Questions on Air Traffic Controller Careers (http://www.eurocontrol.int/muac/public/standard_page/atco_careers_FAQ.html#10)

I mean, let's hope it was only for 2008 ..:)

Matichk
26th May 2010, 18:07
i think that age restriction is for those applying, if you apply before the age set, than it's ok, i think

d.hicks
27th May 2010, 22:24
@ Rutele: I think Matichk's right. You have to be under 25 in order to apply and they wouldn't accept your application in the first place, if your age would be an issue.

I will turn 24 too in September and my age is the last thing that bothers me right now regarding my application. It's strange though that you weren't prioritised to attend phase 1 in June.. Maybe you will be invited for Phase 1 in July?

FoxtrotCharlie7
28th May 2010, 18:34
Hello to all !
rutele: I'm 23 right now, turning 24 on September. We have the same problem. If we fail PHASE 1, imagine, in September, we won't be able to apply once again, because we will be too old then --> 2010 + 2 years (in order to apply again for FEAST)!!!! I'm trying to see ATC in Germany...
Cheers!

davidarmstrong1985
29th May 2010, 13:24
hey, the test in germany for the dfs is a lot!! harder then the test for eurocontrol.

i did the test and failed in the interview. only 2% pass all tests for the dfs and 6% for eurocontrol. (but only 20% fail during the training, eurocontrol = 40%)

on the first day, they are testing the same skills as in the feast test(and some other things like right/left, memorizing accoustic things, a long time reaction test and so on).

on the second day(if you are allowed to do it), you have to do the sdm and a very hard simulation(you have to control 5 or 7 airplanes and you have to do acoustic tasks at the same time).

if you pass all the tests(nearly 10%), then you are allowed to come back and do some grouptests. if you pass them, you have to do an english interview and after that the real interview. (then the medical)

i have some questions. i wanted to apply for eurocontrol.
does anyone know when the training will start next year? i think there are three courses,right?

and where will the basic training(not the otj training) take place? i've read, that the training was in luxembourg, but now the training is at langen, skyguide, toulouse, austrocontrol ?

so, where would it be? langen would be perfect, because it's only 40 kilometres away.

my plan was to apply for austrocontrol(plan b) and after i passed the first selection (feast test and some other tests), i wanted to apply for eurocontrol because then i could start with phase 2.
dou you think thats a good idea? when should i apply?

Rutele
30th May 2010, 10:52
Yeah.. I'm sending out aps for Dfs and Belgocontrol.. Eventually to NL as well.. Let's see where it gets us!

Guys, dont forget to let everyone know if you get invited for July Phase1!

Harbogast
3rd Jun 2010, 03:41
Hi guys! is there any person who has to take the first phase in maastricht from italy? I am waiting for the calling.. maybe this month or the next.
Good luck to all!!!
ciaoo

davidarmstrong1985
5th Jun 2010, 09:32
does anyone know, how many people apply and how many they give a job?

i've heard nearly 600 applicants and 40 jobs every year. is that right?

al.bundy
5th Jun 2010, 09:37
How many candidates pass the tests?

http://www.eurocontrol.int/gallery/design/content/spacer.gif The selection rate of a student controller recruitment campaign is about 6%. This means that we need to test 100 candidates to find 6 of them who meet our standards. Unfortunately, some of those six might not be accepted for medical reasons. Although this might sound a little discouraging, compared with selection rates for similar cognitively demanding jobs, this is not in fact particularly low. Knowing that cognitive requirements are the most important, a vast majority of applicants are tested (the ones who fulfil the basic requirements). In other kinds of competitions, the majority of applicants are eliminated at the level of the Curriculum Vitae. Only few people have the chance to be tested or interviewed.

Source : eurocontrol.int

piqla
5th Jun 2010, 15:29
hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you attented phase 1 on this week?

davidarmstrong1985
5th Jun 2010, 16:53
i thought in the second phase, you are in the top 12?

Victor L.V.
5th Jun 2010, 18:24
Hello guys,

I just got back from Maastricht. I took the morning tests but i failed at the strip display management test. We were 20 and 12 passed the morning tests... so we did better than the guys before us, they were only 7 that took the morning tests.
It was a pretty cool experience being there seeing the eurocontrol building and all that. So, don't be very dissapointed if you fail(as mrs....can't remember the name said) "You have it or you don't"...
I'll maybe try to apply at NATS or Austrocontrol...i don't know yet...

Cheers and good luck to all of you attending the 1st phase or whatever

GlobalJourney
5th Jun 2010, 18:29
If 30 people sit the FEAST test, and all 30 pass, then all of them will be invited to phase 2, and you would then be in the top 30...or would it be bottom 30? :bored:

What you need to remember in the selection process, is that you are not competing against everyone else like in a normal job application where there are only a finite number of positions available. You only have to show that you are suitable, and you will be accepted.

davidarmstrong1985
5th Jun 2010, 19:53
thats not right. what i've heard(people who passed all tests),the best ones of that month you did the test are invited for phase 2.

and everyone who pass phase 1,but is not one of the best ones is set on reserve list and they are invited if someone of the best ones has to cancel his phase 2.
so it's like competing against others.
thats difference between euro und the german dfs. in germany, you have to be better then the average and for euro have to be better then the rast.

jarchitect
5th Jun 2010, 22:22
Hi everyone, starting the course in September/October this year but STILL waiting on information from Eurocontrol as to the exact date and where the initial training will take place. Also waiting for a date for my medical... Anybody else in the same situation?? Have emailed them a few times but same reply each time, that they will be in contact soon with dates. Last email was nearly a month ago!

dre1990
8th Jun 2010, 13:27
Hi, How long does it take between the certificate of visual performance and a confirmation email from Eurocontrol ? ( I have sent the certificate about a month ago, and still no answer.)

greetings

FoxtrotCharlie7
8th Jun 2010, 13:42
Hello !
to dre1990: there is a waiting list. I waited since 23rd December until May 23rd for a DATE.
You have to be patient.
Cheers!

dre1990
8th Jun 2010, 14:41
I ment the confirmation email, that I must wait for a date.., not the mail with the date for the selections. Or Is there only a mail with the date for the next testing.
greetings

Rutele
8th Jun 2010, 14:59
to dre: I got the confirmation email (wait for a date) in few days but now am waiting since February for a date. You might want to write them just in case...

Rutele
9th Jun 2010, 14:38
I just got the invitation for Phase 1 - it will be on the 29th of June. Who else is in?

oscarlo
9th Jun 2010, 14:58
I have just received the invitation for the 1st stage and it is on the 28 of june. Somebody?

FoxtrotCharlie7
10th Jun 2010, 13:40
Hello !
Excellent both of you ! :{ :{:{I'm still waiting for a date to attend phase 1 after declining June 03rd :{:{:{
Does anybody here declined an invitation and went afterwards?
Would appreciate a response :ok:
Cheers

Harbogast
10th Jun 2010, 14:01
Hi guys!
to rutele: I have received the invitation for the 29th!!! how do you feel?
I had a first call for the 3rd of June but I wasn't free in that date, and yesterday Ms Imke wrote me again for the 29th!
Someone else in that date?
cheersss ale

FoxtrotCharlie7
10th Jun 2010, 17:53
Hello !!! Finally, I've been invited for 28th June !!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D
Cheers !:E

LessThanSte
14th Jun 2010, 10:54
I couldnt make 3rd June so was told i'd be invited to this next one at the end of June, that i cant make either, sigh. Imke has said that il be invited to one at the end of July/start of August, so i imagine i would hear something around the middle of July!

Rutele
15th Jun 2010, 13:45
Well, now all is let is to pass it:) That's how I feel :P

Denkoka
18th Jun 2010, 17:40
Hi everybody!
This is my first post!:O

I got the confirmation from Ms IMKE,telling me that i have completed the application procedure,and now i have to wait, for the date when i would be able to undergo PHASE 1 testing.I see that most of you have already passed it.I have two questions:
1.If they provide me an unsuitable date,can i postpone it?(as i am busy till 15 July-university examinations)
2.Is phase 1 testing difficult?How much does it last?

Thank you;)

Denkoka
18th Jun 2010, 20:29
thanx Evolv5

xnnfm
19th Jun 2010, 18:37
I did all the eurocontrol's tests... I'm from italy..

davidarmstrong1985
20th Jun 2010, 10:29
did you pass them all?

piqla
20th Jun 2010, 12:16
hey,

just sent a PM for you, please check it.

Cheers!

Mr.Floppy
22nd Jun 2010, 13:45
Hi everybody! Does anybody know how much relevance is ascribed to FEAST test, out of other parts of application proces?. In Czech it is second part (after English proficiency exam) and after it still 3 psycho-tests follow. I´ve heard that score reached in FEAST doesn´t correlate much with success during ATC training. Czech limits for passing FEAST are 6/4 or 5/5. How is that in your country? I´m just waiting, hopefully, to be invited to interview. Good luck anyone, who trys to get in!

Mr.Floppy
23rd Jun 2010, 06:54
Hallo! I just wondered if you or anybody know something about relevance of FEAST comparing it with other parts of application process? How many rounds did you have to pass? In Czech we have three more psychological sessions after it. I am asking about it because I passed FEAST but with not very good score (6/4) :{. I also heard that FEAST results don´t correlate much with success during training. (In Czech about half of trainees used to be fired). How was your situation? Many thanks for any reply.

Mr.Floppy
23rd Jun 2010, 07:45
Thanks. It seems you have little bit different application procedure. Age limit used to be in Czech too. First 24, then raised it to 26, 30 and finally they cancel it so I´m lucky they let me in. I´ve heard currently there are a few people over 30 in the training. So you are going to start training or already "in process"?

davidarmstrong1985
23rd Jun 2010, 12:51
yeah,but 60% isn't right. a friend of mine failed during the last test before the on the job training and he said only 30-40% pass the training.
the reason is,that the feast is not a good test. it's very easy and a lot of skills won't be tested(math,left,right,visual memory,multitasking,selective hearing).

the test in germany is a lot!!! harder then the feast, but in germany 80-85% pass the training.

Mr.Floppy
23rd Jun 2010, 15:35
Holy smokes! Doesn´t sound good. FEAST wasn´t easy at all for me. But as I said: sometimes people with excelent score are fired and those with worse results struggle until finish. I would say personal charcteristic could have played a role.:ooh:

davidarmstrong1985
23rd Jun 2010, 16:05
yeah,that's the problem of feast because it tests only a few skills.

maybe you are very good in the feast test,but you are not good in differentiate between left and right, than you will have big problems during training because it's so important for center controllers!

i am very sure that i will pass the training because i passed all tests in germany(but failed in the interview),passed all tests to become a military pilot and i passed the psychomotric tests for the lufthansa,but i still need an employment contract :{

i hope eurocontrol is my future.

davidarmstrong1985
24th Jun 2010, 07:43
I read that.

But in my opinion,that's not true.

The friend who failed in the last test before the otj said, that they had started with 12 trainees and only 5 passed all tests and could start with the otj.
In the course before,5/12 failed during the theoretical phase(in langen,dfs).
And i don't think this is a coincidence.

The feast is an easy test and there is no REAL visual memory test.

And the strip display managment test is also not a hard multitasking test. The DAC (dyadic air traffic control test) is 5 times harder than the SDM(i did both tests for the DFS).

I think the biggest problem of the feast is, that most tests are only multiple choice.
And in my opinion, it's very important to test left/right, because most female applicants have big problems with this skill(all female applicants failed during the first test for dfs,when i was there and normaly, 80%-90% of a dfs course are male).

davidarmstrong1985
24th Jun 2010, 10:04
i will do it next tuesday for austrocontrol.

of course, i don't know exactly, but tell me why most of the people who failed on the first or second day of the dfs test, pass the feast and are good enough to go to phase 2?

there are so many detractors of the feast test and so many fail during the training. in my opinion, it's not a good test.

and my criticism is ONLY against feast, not against phase 2 or 3!

LMX
24th Jun 2010, 11:37
Only about 40% of those who start training starting OJT is an accurate figure for most if not all of the courses since 2008, but whether to blame this on FEAST... well, you be the judge when you have some more insight into the training.

There are many more variables in how the training is conducted, for example, are students offered extra training if they are falling behind? Are there opportunities to be re-coursed to a later course? Can students who are not top-performers be sent to a less busy unit/sector? What happens if an exam (theoretical or practical) is failed - is a resit allowed at all?

Mr.Floppy
24th Jun 2010, 12:35
Well. I found link on german air traffic control pages with test practising THE APPLICATION (http://www.dfs.de/dfs/internet_2008/module/fluglotse_werden/englisch/becoming_an_air_traffic_controller/the_application/index.html) doesn´t seem to be such a hard one. The second part of FEAST is really hard multitasking comparing it to what I´ve seen here..

Rutele
24th Jun 2010, 18:55
Has any of you done aptitude tests for airline pilots and then feast? Is it comparable? I passed them yesterday and was wondering if that should give me some confidence for next Tuesday...

Also, IF one gets to the interview part, do you think beeing accepted to airline pilot training is a plus or should I better leave it out...?

just looking for opinions here...:confused:

davidarmstrong1985
24th Jun 2010, 21:05
lol,the tests on the homepage is only a joke ;)

if you apply, you get a link for tests which you can train for the real test.

i don't know if you know atc sim.com but it's a good foretaste for the dac.

i can say it in one week. i passed the airline test for lufthansa and for the german army.

Denkoka
24th Jun 2010, 23:39
Hi everybody!
I have a question.
If one manages to pass all tests and becomes a qualified Upper Area Controller,is he/she able to do the job of a controller for lower airspace (controlling from the cab of the tower)?

Thanks in advance

davidarmstrong1985
25th Jun 2010, 12:55
you have to do the whole on the job training again and i think some theoretical things.

Harbogast
27th Jun 2010, 11:37
this tuesday I'm in Maastricht for the firsts test!
ciaoooo
ale

AngelEyes
28th Jun 2010, 03:46
I have read on the EuroControl website that they reimburse travel expenses to their testing phases (should an application be successful). To what extent does this go, i.e flights from another country?

WanderingAround
28th Jun 2010, 23:02
Don't forget you have to be a citizen of a Eurocontrol member state. ;)

BeT
29th Jun 2010, 12:21
I dont often post in this thread but read it from time to time and feel the need to point out that most (if not all) of the things posted re: failure rates/reasons are simply not true and are being posted by people who seem to have no direct experience of the process.

Hearing 'things' from your friend for example is not likely to give a fair and balanced view if he has just been booted from the course.

FEAST is not a perfect test (and there never will be a perfect one) but its the one that Eurocontrol use, so tough. The training is hard and the exams pretty ruthless, this means that a lot of students dont make it - but thats the way it has to be.

A lot of prospective applicants take what is written on this board as the truth - and id urge all of you out there to please take it with a pinch of salt. Its been said before but ill emphasise it again: The BEST preparation for the FEAST test is to turn up fresh and alert with a good nights sleep behind you. If you make it to the interview wear a suit and know a bit of info about Eurocontrol - thats it..... playing ATC sims as some sort of practice is frankly a joke.

Ill also point out that identifying posters on this board is easier than you think - people have been identified and held to account about what they have written on here - as potential future employees id simply advise you not to stick your head above the parapet - this thread is widely read both at the training institute and the Maastricht UAC. Why bother making a reputation for yourself before you even start?

Unregistered12
29th Jun 2010, 20:00
hey, i did the feast test for austrocontrol. in most of the tests, i had 8 or 9 pints (9 is the maximum and 1 the minimum) and in the strip display managment test i had: 8 8 8 9 9 = 8,4/9

but i had only 4 points in the englishtest because i had some problems with the numbers i had to recognize.

does anybody know if it's possible, that i won't be invited because of english? i can speak it fluently, i only had this little problems(for austrocontrol, you have to have 5/9 in every test, that's the reason why i'm asking).

thanks!

Mr.Floppy
30th Jun 2010, 14:54
In my opinion, it could depend on total number of applicants. But I think that whole result matters more than a particular subtest. On top of which, You always can catch up and improve your English comprehension, which obviously isn´t case of cognitive abilities. :ok: I think you passed well.

Unregistered12
30th Jun 2010, 16:54
oh,cool,i hope so! :)

i haven't had real problems with the tests.

have you passed them?

Mr.Floppy
30th Jun 2010, 17:13
Yes but it was close call. I received 6/9 and 4/9. It was sufficient though because in Czech they count it on average : (6+4)/2=5 I underestimated sleep and my English skills weren´t very good either by that time. Normally, I think I could have obtained some more points, nevertheles, no way to take it again. This year I´m trying to get in training course again and they will recognise my last year results. I only repeated English test (and have done better) and now I´m awaiting one re-sit with a shrink. Hopefully, they are at least going to invite me to interview this time:}

Unregistered12
30th Jun 2010, 17:30
in which test have you reveived 6/9 and 4/9?

and you don't want to try eurocontrol?

Mr.Floppy
30th Jun 2010, 18:08
In FEAST. I haven´t considered apply to Eurocontrol yet bur who knows.. Frankly, I think I will be too old for them by the time of next selection procedure. I´m already 31. But still struggling:ugh:

Unregistered12
30th Jun 2010, 18:13
of course, but i meant which part of feast :) maybe the cubetest or english or so.

oh,hm,that's not good :(

Mr.Floppy
30th Jun 2010, 18:30
I don´t remember. It is summation of first and second (strip management) part.

Unregistered12
30th Jun 2010, 18:39
oh ok,then i think austrocontrol is a little bit different. they have a graph and you have to be as close as possible to a line.
and you receive for each task points(in my case for example: sorting strips 9,deleting strips 9,conflicts 8, radiomessages 8,overall 8)

Harbogast
1st Jul 2010, 23:41
I failed the firsts tests on tuesday morning!!! good luck to you!

Rutele
2nd Jul 2010, 10:04
Well... I just got an email that I passed phase 1 on Tuesday... comes a bit as a surprise though.. nice one of course..:}

Unregistered12
4th Jul 2010, 15:57
hey, congratulations!

how many conflicts have you found?

does anybody know how many phase 2 are in one year? i have heard that the best 18 applicants of one month are allowed to try it, but i don't know if every month a phase 2 is.

thanks!

Rutele
5th Jul 2010, 08:29
If i remember correctly, around 3-4 local and 5-6 opposite... can't really remember, but the list on the left was lamost full..

Unregistered12
5th Jul 2010, 08:53
Are you sure that you had so many opposites? I had 9 or 10 locals and 2 opposites

Rutele
5th Jul 2010, 15:11
Yes, cos i focused a little too much on them...:) But hey, it was a rather stressful situation that testing, maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.. not good for a possible future controler, huh?

gyku
19th Jul 2010, 13:32
Hi there! Is anyone attending phase 1 on 3rd of August? If yes,pls pm me.

Have a nice day!
Georgiana

Denkoka
19th Jul 2010, 13:53
I am invited at 4th of august.
Good Luck

Alex24690
20th Jul 2010, 10:29
Hey,

my name is Alexander and I am about to attend phase one of testing in the beginning of August. Although I have read the entire thread as well as I have talked to people who have taken the Feast already, I still have multiple questions.

1. There is a test including a grid and one is supposed to estimate distances from one point to another. Do you have to calculate the linear distance with the help of pythagoras´ theorem, i.e. if the two points are two squares apart vertically and three horizontally it is 360m, assuming a square is a 100m or do you just have to calculate with the length of the square. In my opinion it is hard to calculate that fast and precisely.

2. How did you like the test in which you have to find out about the order of planes approaching and stuff? I cannot find any information about this test and i don´t exactly know what it is all about.

Good luck to everyone taking the tests soon!
Regards, Alex

Unregistered12
20th Jul 2010, 18:54
Hey :)

you will learn it ;) it's not really hard and you don't need the pythagoras.

the approaching test is also not very hard. stay calm and you will make it :)

where do you come from?

Alex24690
21st Jul 2010, 06:30
Hey Unregistered12 and Evolv 5,

thank you for your replies. I was just wondering how to work that out while I read a description about FEAST on wiki. But I am comfortable with you guys making me hope;) Unregistered 12, I am from Cologne! Where do you come from?

Greets, Alex

Unregistered12
21st Jul 2010, 10:46
Oh, you are from germany? cool :)

i live near frankfurt. is that your first test? or have you already taken the selection tests for the dfs?
If yes, then be relaxed :) if you passed the pre selection test of the dfs, then you will also pass the feast ;)

Fagundo
21st Jul 2010, 14:08
hi guys!

I have the interview for Eurocontrol in 10 days. Could somebody tell me how is it, what kind of interview is? which kind of questions?

Thanks a lot!!!!

Fagundo
22nd Jul 2010, 00:37
thanks a lot :)

Alex24690
22nd Jul 2010, 13:14
hey guys,

just wanted to know what kind of english test is conducted by Eurocontrol? Does the test only consist of recalling numbers or is there also a part in which one is supposed to think about details given in a short story and synonymes?
alex

laki84
23rd Jul 2010, 09:43
But you can also use SKY TEST's preparation for FEAST! It costs around 70 euros and helps a lot! ;)

Unregistered12
23rd Jul 2010, 10:34
sure you can, but that is without any sense!

the feast test is not that hard and you do the test because you want to know, if you have the specific skills which air traffic controllers need.

if you train for it, you will pass it(maybe), but you don't know if you passed it because of your skills or because of your training.

laki84
23rd Jul 2010, 15:16
That's true, but you won't need all that test stuff once you become an ATCO!

Unregistered12
23rd Jul 2010, 15:50
hmm,...really?

so why do you think eurocontrol has tests for that skills? ;)

JennyJerren
26th Jul 2010, 18:44
Hey people!
I have also applied for the trainee ATC. They accepted my school leaving dips and visual performance test and I'm still waiting a reply from them. What will be the next step? The FEAST test?

About the feast test, do we have to pay for all the expenses? Or Eurocontrol does for us? :)

Thx in advance.

Jagohu
29th Jul 2010, 06:22
the feast test is not that hard and you do the test because you want to know, if you have the specific skills which air traffic controllers need.

if you train for it, you will pass it(maybe), but you don't know if you passed it because of your skills or because of your training.

Exactly. And then you only find out you're not for the job after 1-2 years of intensive training, wasting your own and everyone else's time as it turns out in many cases recently.
I think the FEAST test isn't easy, but the point is to test if you have the skills for the job. I know it's kinda difficult to understand from the "other side of the fence", but it is just the way it is.

Unregistered12
29th Jul 2010, 08:50
Hey, i'm invited for phase 2 next month! :)

Does anyone have tips for me?

Thanks!

LessThanSte
29th Jul 2010, 16:47
Il be there next Monday, see you all there, and best of luck :)

Jenny, Eurocontrol will pay expenses up to a certain amount, i think €500. Within 50km they dont pay anything, above 50km they pay train fare, above (i think) 500km theyll pay air fare and train fare, and if a see crossing is necessary (i.e. from the UK) theyll pay for most methods. I am travelling by plane to Amsterdam and trains to Maastricht, then trains to Brussels, London and Birmingham on the way home, works out around £200 all told. But they also say in the documentation to contact them if you are unsure BEFORE buying tickets.

Oh, they also say that you should go in a more or less direct route, and avoid high fares by booking early. You also cant go first class, etc.

Anyway, most questions are answered by the documentation they send when you confirm that you can make the test day youve been invited for!

blackcanon
29th Jul 2010, 20:12
A quick question for LessThanSte or anybody else who got an invite for phase 1.

After sending my online application and eye test, how long do i have to wait to get an reply/invite for phase 1.

Thank You

LessThanSte
30th Jul 2010, 00:17
After sending in my education certificates, it was about 2 weeks. This thread suggests though that that is by no means a definite, and can take much longer!

JennyJerren
30th Jul 2010, 18:13
LessThanSte, many kind thanks for your informative reply :)
Today,I've got a mail that I'll soon get an exact appointment soon.
I hope I can make it.
Wish everybody luck!

tsorin16
2nd Aug 2010, 15:19
I just found out that I passed the interview! http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/images/smilies/sm_08.gif

The training is said to begin sometime around may and the medical exam three months before that.

Unregistered12
2nd Aug 2010, 15:43
congratulations! :)

do you know where the basic cours will be? and do you know if the cours in january(i think it's january) is full? or was it your wish to start in may?

tsorin16
3rd Aug 2010, 11:36
Thanks.

The course in February is full. That's why I start in may.

They didn't know the exact location, but they said it will be one of the following: Luxembourg, Switzerland, France, Germany.

LessThanSte
5th Aug 2010, 11:20
Sweet, I passed Phase 1 and have been invited to Phase 2, which I believe is in a month or so.

With the benefit of experience, here is some info about the tests;

-----------------

Travel to Maastricht is very easy, the bus station is directly outside the train station, number 59 goes from stand G. It operates about once per hour. A single costs €4 but for €5.50 you can buy a day ticket that can be used on any route all day. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the airport, the Tulip Inn hotel is directly next to the airport building. The hotel is actually very nice, with the bar overlooking the runway. It isnt a busy airport, no flights after 11pm, but if you leave your window open you will get woken up by airport vehicles during the night. Breakfast and Lunch are provided at Eurocontrol.

After collection of your travel reciepts, part 1 commences. There are 3 tests, followed by a 10 minute break, followed by 3 more tests. For us, the order was; Coordinate system; English; Runway Instruction; Sorting; Ball-On-Wall; Cubes.

Coordinate system gives you a 5x5 grid with a load of points/aircraft marked on. You then have to deduce heading changes (turning left or right to a certain heading) and distances to various other points. This generally gets more tricky the further you go.

English comprehension is relatively straight forward if you speak English as a first language, and from talking to others, not to bad even if you dont. Listen carefully and answer based on what was actually stated, not what you may think otherwise. The numbers part is most tricky, just concentrate on all of the numbers.

Runway Instructions asks you to direct planes to a runway via a series of control points. Priorities are explained during the introduction, and should be followed exactly, unless stated otherwise by a message on screen. Remember to follow the rules explicitly!!!

Sorting test is designed to make you make mistakes, i guess they are more worried about how you react to those mistakes. If you can pull yourself together when you make a mistake then i assume you will be ok. Do not get angry with yourself, as you'll make more mistakes. You have to sort shapes/colours/numbers into certain boxes, with a further match item that overrides everything else. Also, messages pop up that require special functions to be completed. You have 2 seconds for each one, it is very quick-fire.

Ball on Wall simply gets you to press a relevant button (1, 2, 3 or 4) when the relevant ball intersects with the wall. Again its designed to make you panic. Its easy to start hitting the wrong buttons.

Cube test is exactly like the example on page 21 of this thread. I think this is one of the most important, and for some one of the hardest. I do think you can practice this, as i did the night before. On a piece of paper draw a net of a cube and insert some shapes on each face. Then, on a cube drawn underneath, draw one of the shapes from the net, and then try and figure out the other 2 sides. Do this lots, and you will soon start to figure out how the various cubes go together. Also cutting out a cube net and putting it together will help you to understand.

Then its time for lunch and for the chosen few, part 2 is the strip management test. For this there is a 1hour 30minute tutorial on what to do, and a brief practice test. You will be given a series of control fixes with flights going between them. You'll look for local conflicts (same control fix within 4 minutes and 3000 feet), opposite conflicts (travelling in opposite directions between fixes within 4 minutes and 3000 feet), strips that can be deleted when not relevant, strips that need updating when new oral instructions are relayed to you, and will also be tasked to sort strips by time order. There is a lot to do, do not concentrate on one task but spread yourself around, systematically working out one thing at a time. All tasks are given the same weighting. I assume it will also punish you for making mistakes more than once. The first time you make a mistake it will tell you, from then its best not to make another one.

I spoke to the person running the tests after about Phase 2. She said that the 18 best people from the 3 days of testing will be compared with those people on a reserve list, with the then best 18 or so going through to Phase 2. Also, from Thursday onwards (i.e. the day you recieve results) you can contact her for feedback on the tests, this is whether you passed them or not, which may be useful for future reference.

Hope this helps, and good luck to everyone taking the tests soon!

Unregistered12
5th Aug 2010, 11:56
very cool :) so maybe we will see us(if we have phase 2 at the same day).

i think the procedure is: first week phase 1 and third week phase 2. so phase 2 will be in 1 /2 weeks :)

LessThanSte
5th Aug 2010, 17:24
Well, as i said they invite 18 apparently, from this selection and from the reserve list. I dont know if you'll be in our one or not. If you did the 29th June tests i assume that you'd be on the reserve lists so maybe, maybe not. otherwise youll be with others from your selection period.

I know at least 2 of us from Monday's testing got through, dont know about the other 4 people.

Oh, i emailed Imke Willems about dates, as i go on holiday to the states on Sept. 20th, she said that phase 2 would be the week commencing Monday 6th September, with the date to be confirmed by letter in the next few days.

tsorin16
5th Aug 2010, 18:38
Congrats for passing Phase 1, LessThanSte!

And good luck on Phase 2 for both of you! :ok:

schneiderATC
6th Aug 2010, 09:07
Hello,
I was told to go to the first phase yesterday. Can anybody give me any advise?What's the first phase about?Are the exams so difficult as I've read from other forums?
Thank you

Unregistered12
6th Aug 2010, 09:10
three posts above your post...

you were right -.- phase 2 will be in september...

how did you know that it will be in one month? i really hope it will take place during the first week of september...

last update: phase 2 will be the week around the 13th of september...

levelD
6th Aug 2010, 15:44
Are we trying to make an impression here schneiderATC ? :ugh::hmm:

LessThanSte
6th Aug 2010, 21:32
schneider, my post and the blog a few pages back has all the information you need. Telling you anything else would be unfair on all those that researched for themselves. Also try the Eurocontrol website!

Unregistered, the dates ive mentioned is what I have been told by Imke Willems. I guess its subject to change, but i suspect not. Imke actually said week 36 which corresponds to w/c 6th September, though i havnt checked that is indeed the case!

blackcanon
10th Aug 2010, 16:25
i got an email telling me i will be called for phase 1. im just curious to know how long the waiting list to get called for phase 1 is...

Are we talking days, weeks or months away?

why i need to know this is.. if i dont succeed in the tests to be an air traffic controller i can always go do an extra year in college.. but i would need to know by mid September whether or not i go back to college.

i look forward to any helpful replies

thank you

Unregistered12
10th Aug 2010, 17:57
i think you have to wait at least 2 months. there will be a phase 2 in september(which was planned for august) , so i think there will no phase 1 in september.

but why so fast? the next course which is still not full starts in may. so it's not a big problem to go to college.

g0ten
11th Aug 2010, 19:27
Hi, sorry for bothering but I received the first e-mail with the link to the online application but It doesn't work. This message occurs: Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested Url: /Test4 2/Forms/LoginAssessment.aspx

what does this mean.. why I can't enter and fill in the application. Suggestions? ;ss

schneiderATC
11th Aug 2010, 21:18
Well, I'll try the eurocontrol exams, but in case of failing I'd like to go on a privated course in the UK with some of the two main companies. Do you know if it's hard to find a tower in England after you get the student license?Are there many many people waiting for a chance?
I'd be thankful if somebody could give an answer

LessThanSte
11th Aug 2010, 22:57
Schneider, have a look at the 'non NATS airport' thread in the ATC forum, that might help you.

Unregistered, im not sure if its been put off until September, more likely that they always planned it for September, at a time in which they would have enough people to come together after passing phase 1. It seems that Phase 1 runs about once per month.

Blackcannon, i got that email shortly after sending the eye certificate in, then got an email about phase 1 about 2 weeks later. Some people wait longer, some shorter, i dont know if theres any real criteria to base that on though.

G0ten, mine did that when i first registered, but it did work a couple of hours later. Maybe someone turned the database computer off or something. Worth checking that the link isnt screwed up (http://http://www. etc).

Finally, i got details about phase 2 today. Its September 15th, with plans for the interview to take place on September 16th if successful in phase 2. See you all there :)

Alex24690
12th Aug 2010, 06:57
Hey, I was invited for phase 2 on the 13th of September yesterday. Has anybody else gotten an invite for this date?
Good luck everyone

menix
16th Aug 2010, 16:56
Hi, im from Serbia and i've passed all tests for atco accept interview in my country,by the way my country is a member of eurocontrol. If i want to apply for eurocontrol do i need to do those tests again? i got european medical sertificate class 3 (for atco) too.

tsorin16
16th Aug 2010, 17:26
As far as I know, the FEAST tests are the only thing the agencies have in common when it comes to selection procedures.

This means that even if you passed the FEAST you will still need to pass the Phase 2 tests and the interview at Eurocontrol, since I'm guessing they're different than what the serbian agency uses.

I guess the medical examination, if standard, is valid.

Unregistered12
16th Aug 2010, 18:55
would be interesting to know why you want to apply for eurocontrol, although you passed it in your country.

menix
22nd Aug 2010, 13:20
I'm asking couse i didnt pass the interview and i really want to be a atco... u need very good connection to pass the final fase (interview) and as u can see i dont have it... := I'm asking you because i dont know should i mention to them (eurocontrol) that i did those tests in my country couse as i heard they are similar or the same.

LessThanSte
22nd Aug 2010, 14:28
I seem to remember a question on the application form about whether you had previously taken any selection tests, so it wont hurt to tell them. If you did the FEAST test and passed, Eurocontrol usually bump you through to stage 2 i believe!

Unregistered12
22nd Aug 2010, 14:52
hey menix, i don't want to offend you, but could you try to write in a more formal way?
this is only a bulletin board, but it would help if you could stop writing things like couse,u etc.

by the way. you have to mention (application form), if you have previously taken any selection tests to become an atco.

menix
22nd Aug 2010, 15:15
Thank you LessThanste and i apologize for my informal writing. I'll try to inform better on their website about application form.

flysuitup
25th Aug 2010, 19:21
does anyone know about the tests in phase II eurocontrol and if there is some site where u can practice some tests or something..
thanks

Unregistered12
25th Aug 2010, 19:28
phase 2 are grouptests. you can't practice teamwork on the internet ;)

tsorin16
25th Aug 2010, 21:17
does anyone know about the tests in phase II eurocontrol and if there is some site where u can practice some tests or something..
thanks
Did you read this thread? If you didn't, do so.
You are bound to stumble upon some useful information.

As Unregistered12 said, at phase 2 they test your teamwork skills and planning abilities.
My advice is to practice your English, so that you won't have problems speaking loud and clear.
Interact with your colleagues, tell them your ideas/solutions and ask them to do the same. It's a group discussion after all.
Don't be shy and don't be silent. If you bring nothing to the discussion, chances are that you will fail.

When you have to make the flight plan, study the instructions carefully.
I had colleagues that messed up pretty bad because they didn't pay attention.

Other than that, good luck!

E34M50
26th Aug 2010, 17:38
Received my invitation today for Phase 1 on the 23rd September. I began the application in June and have been waiting for around 6 weeks for the testing date.

Has anyone else been invited out for that date? I intend to travel out the day beforehand and stay overnight at the hotel suggested by Eurocontrol.

I am preparing myself to read through this entire thread for what seems like the seventh or eighth time to get my preparation sorted.

blackcanon
28th Aug 2010, 16:19
I also will be at phase 1 on that date.

JennyJerren
30th Aug 2010, 23:36
Me too! I'll be in Maastricht on September 23rd for the phase 1.

Willsoon
1st Sep 2010, 19:26
I will also be there for phase 1 on the 23rd. Where do all of you travel from and to? I dont know exactly how I will plan my trip down. To which airport should I go for the smoothes journey possible? Perhaps one that has trains departing from nearby.

Willsoon
1st Sep 2010, 19:37
I will also be there the 23rd. What route are you guys taking there? Which airport are you landing on and so on...? Im trying to figure out which route would be the smoothest. And perhaps some of us could hook up somewhere.

LessThanSte
1st Sep 2010, 22:07
There was a swedish chap at phase 1 last month (and indeed phase 2 in a few weeks time) who flew to Dusseldorf (presumably from Stockholm) and then got trains from there to Maastricht. Its a fiddly train journey, i think he said he took 4 trains. Its not actually that far, only about 80 miles i think, but multiple changes are needed. Remember to keep in mind that it will probably be much easier to fly back the following day. Airport to train station is about 20 minutes and then you obviously have a few hours of trains to catch so flying back on the evening of the tests would be a mission. Besides, you'll get the chance to go for a beer or 8 in Maastricht (theres some nice bars!)

Me, for phase 1 i flew to Amsterdam from Birmingham, then trains to Maastricht. Train is €25 each way, and takes about 2.5 hours (3 trains). Thats what im doing for phase 2 also.Flying to Maastricht direct is unlikely unless you have your own aircraft!

Willsoon
1st Sep 2010, 22:51
Oh, I hate having to switch trains that often! Oh well, gotta look into that more closely tomorrow!

tsorin16
1st Sep 2010, 22:55
@Willsoon

You can fly to Amsterdam or Eindhoven and take the train to Maastricht.
Check the train schedule here (http://www.ns.nl/cs/Satellite/travellers).

A: From Schiphol you can take a train to Amsterdam Centraal (~15 min.) and from there, a direct one to Maastricht (2h 26m).
B: From the Eindhoven airport you need to take the bus to the train station and from there, a direct train to Maastricht (1h 11m).

I tried both the above options and I didn't have any problems.

PS: When you arrive in the Netherlands, you should buy a Strippenkaart from a kiosk.
I found out that the Strippenkaart is a cheaper way to travel by bus than buying 2 journey tickets from the driver.

Willsoon
1st Sep 2010, 22:57
@Tsorin16

Thanks alot!!

LessThanSte
1st Sep 2010, 23:07
I only had to change once actually, at Utrecht. Took 2h44m in total.

Youve reminded me about buses too, better to buy a day ticket, it costs €5.50 or so compared to a maastricht - airport single which is €4 and allows you then to get any bus all day long, great if your going into town.

Oh and also, the bus time in the documentation is wrong (or at least was last month), make sure you ask at reception about the bus to get. There will be a group of you and youll probablyl all be on the same bus!

GlobalJourney
1st Sep 2010, 23:20
Agreed, flying into any of the German airports, such as Dusseldorf, Cologne, Weeze/Niederrhein etc, even though they are not far away in a straight line, they are all a complete nightmare for getting to Maastricht by public transport, which will take you hours and involve lots of changes from any of them.

If you are coming on the train from the north, from either Eindhoven or Schiphol (which only needs one change in Utrecht unless it is very late at night - Amsterdam Centraal is also possible but a longer journey), then it is possible to change onto the local train (stoptrein) in Sittard to get to the Beek-Elsloo station which is closest and also has a bus link to the airport. I'm not sure if it really saves much time.

All the bus links and transport connections can be researched on 9292ov.nl: OV-reisinformatie en routeplanner voor bus, trein, metro, tram en veerboot (http://www.9292ov.nl) The address of the airport which is the best way of finding it in the system it seems is Vliegveldweg 90.

Brussels Airport is also a good option, it is probably the easiest large airport to get to/from Maastricht. It also only needs one change on the train in Brussels-Nord (again unless it is late at night).

Many years ago KLM used to have 3 flights a day to Maastricht which was great, fly there directly, walk out of the terminal and you were in your hotel room.

tsorin16
1st Sep 2010, 23:40
I chose the "Schiphol- Amsterdam Centraal- Maastricht" route, so that I can take a stroll through Amsterdam.
It was my first time there and having 3-4 hours to kill I visited what I could before taking the train to Maastricht.

Although the Amsterdam Centraal-Maastricht is a direct train, one should pay attention to the wagons since half of them go to Heerlen and half to Maastricht.
Normally, the ticket controller will inform you whether you are in the right wagons or not.

LessThanSte
2nd Sep 2010, 08:57
that's if you see one....! I didn't on a 3 hour journey!

Willsoon
2nd Sep 2010, 20:02
Thanks for all the replys. Do I buy traintickets at the station or should I do it online? Thanks again all!

Willsoon
3rd Sep 2010, 11:00
I'm going to fly to Amsterdam and make it to Maastricht from there. Thanks for all the advice.

(Och tack för lyckönskningen ;))

Stelar
3rd Sep 2010, 12:55
Hey everybody,

I'm yet another wannabe, who's going to attend on 23rd of this month.
Responding to a previous post: I'm going to Eindhoven by air, to Maastricht by train.

Anybody who's leaving next day or later: what about a beer in the town at the evening of the test? We can celebrate or cry on each other's shoulder.

LessThanSte
3rd Sep 2010, 12:57
unless you are a hollander you can't buy dutch train tickets online :(

I found thee belgian train website pretty good fort booking tickets actually, as long as you go to the right place on the website to buy them, only took me 5 minutes to buy mine.

Willsoon
3rd Sep 2010, 22:33
@Stelar (http://www.pprune.org/members/337255-stelar)

Since I haven't booked my tickets tey perhaps I could go to Eindhoven aswell and we could go from there together. And im up for a beer aswell. :) You could contack me by mail as soon as you can if you like the idea of meetin in Eindhoven.

Mail: [email protected] (I use MSN)

Willsoon
4th Sep 2010, 13:21
you are invited for the phase 1 selection testing on Friday, 24 September 2010

OK, so I gave the wrong date before. Is anyone else going there the 24th?

I hope there is, PM me if you have tests the 24th!

girl85
4th Sep 2010, 15:03
Hello everyone

I have been invited for phase 1 on 24 September and I have already booked my flight ticket , So I will be at the Amsterdam airport at about 1:00 p.m

I just wanted to ask is there (at the airport ) some train stration where I could buy train ticket direct to Maastricht ?

Can someone explain the road coz its my first time going in Netherlands and Im affraid not to loose somewhere :(

tudo_arad2005
4th Sep 2010, 17:51
i'm also invited on the 24th sept

Willsoon
5th Sep 2010, 14:09
When are you landing on Schiphol on the 23rd?

bids
5th Sep 2010, 15:09
Girl85...

Its easy to find the train station at the airport, there's plenty of signs.
Just buy your ticket at the ticket desks on your way down to the platforms. If you ask the person at the ticket desk, they will print out a sheet for you telling you where you need to change (if you do) and at which platforms ("spoor" in Dutch).

If you want to pre-paln your journey, you can do it in english on Service for everyone who travels by train Travellers NS travellers (http://www.ns.nl/cs/Satellite/travellers)

Unfortunately you can't get the train to Eurocontrol, but the bus station and taxi ranks are right outside Maastricht train station.

Good luck

tudo_arad2005
5th Sep 2010, 22:04
well i'm landing at 09:15 on Schiphol, when is your plane landing?

blackcanon
11th Sep 2010, 16:04
hey stelar

i arrive in eindhoven at 14.50 wed 22.

octopus4848
16th Sep 2010, 10:21
A little confused really.... I applied for Eurocontrol in July, sent my certificates in August and now have been sent a message saying I am too old?

I am only 24 and not 25 until June next year - when I look on the Eurocontrol website, it says you won't be accepted if you are 25 on 1st October 2008 - which I wasn't - I am confused as when I applied it was only 1 month after I was 24 - has anyone else had this experience or just me? :ugh:

I thought their age limit was 25, I'm still 9 months off of that!!!

Very frustrating!!

Unregistered12
16th Sep 2010, 15:36
you have to be 25 when the training starts. and at the moment, they are recruiting for may. so i think there is no chance for you to pass the tests fast enough, to get into the may course.

LessThanSte
17th Sep 2010, 16:46
Has anyone at phase 2 this week been successful in the phase 3 interviews? I know of 3 people, myself one of them, who were not successful at the end of the interview, though currently have no feedback as to why (a teeny bit annoying given that according to the women who carried out the tests my FEAST result was very high (99.15 apparently!)).

LessThanSte
17th Sep 2010, 16:50
Oh yes, regarding the age thing, i am currently 24, im 25 in february which would be before the course i would have started in may, but they let me progress all the way to the interview.

Send them an email back saying that you are aware of other people who are older than you having gone through the FEAST test. Its cheeky i guess but if they've said they are not going to let you progess then its worth a punt!

Unregistered12
17th Sep 2010, 20:52
i had the same problem, but i think they kicked me because of english.

LessThanSte
17th Sep 2010, 22:39
That is perhaps quite true Evolv. The slightly annoying part is though that they are more likely to learn things about your personality from a day of testing than an interview, where nerves get the better of people. Its maybe slightly odd that the 3 people on the interview panel had no insight in to anyone during phase 2.

I think if i was setting it up id have at least 1 of them involved with the phase 2 discussions, who could at least take that information in to the interview. At present it seems they get around a table and discuss each candidate, presumably with a report from the other stages of testing, which seems less efficient.

But then i doubt id be saying that if i got through :}

Still, onwards...

Greeen
19th Sep 2010, 16:15
Do you think it's worth to give it a second try in two years if I failed the first phase? Somebody tried? Somebody's going to?

Unregistered12
19th Sep 2010, 16:24
i wouldn't do that. the feast test isn't very difficult. the chance is very very high to fail the training if you need a second try to pass it.

LessThanSte
19th Sep 2010, 18:41
I think Eurocontrol say that if youve already taken a FEAST test and failed then you wont be eligible to take it again. If you drop out at stage 2 or 3 and are still young enough to start training theyll let you have another go.

Unregistered12
19th Sep 2010, 18:57
you can try again the feast test, but they warn you that it doesn't make sense to try it again.

Unregistered12
22nd Sep 2010, 10:36
hey, does anyone know if it makes sense to try the interview again? or does anyone know if you have to be perfect because it's your second try/ if they ask you why you failed last time and what you have done to improve it?

g0ten
29th Sep 2010, 05:04
Hi , I was invited for phase 1 on 18 f October. Anyone ..? :Pp

band1tu
29th Sep 2010, 07:47
I'm on 18 also

edit: Pen and paper are allowed at the cube test?

dcoliv
3rd Oct 2010, 21:06
Greetings octopus4848!

That situation is strange indeed. If you read the document they provide on their website (http://www.eurocontrol.int/muac/gallery/content/public/docs/MA-2010-OP-001.pdf), they clearly state that you need to be under 25 on October 1st 2010. If your 25th birthday is in June 2011, then you surely meet the age requirement.

Nowhere on their website or on any other place have I found any indication that you need to be 25 when the training starts, although I believe that may be the case. It is the only explanation for their action.

I am sorry I am not more helpful, but if you do find the answer will you please let me know? Unfortunately I may well be in a similar situation, since I will be 25 next March.

Thanks in advance!

Flying_Badger
10th Oct 2010, 11:02
Hi guys,

Anybody know what kind of scores you would need to be achieveing in the skytest examples to pass the FEAST?

Flying_Badger
10th Oct 2010, 17:43
Anybody any ideas???

elandel
10th Oct 2010, 19:05
Have'nt a clue - please elucidate!

Crazy Voyager
10th Oct 2010, 20:14
I don't belive there's a way to tell.

I shall firstly point out that I have not tried skytest myself, nor have I done feast, yet anhow :p

But the feast test is designed for it's only purpose of selecting ATC trainees, no other considerations have been made in the design. I personally looked at skytest and then thought it didn't matter, because the feast test will most likely be made to take along a percent or two too much rather than sort out someone with potential enough to be able to take on the training.

If there's someone around here who passed feast and used skytest they might be able to give you a clue, but I personally decided that either I "have it in me" or I don't. And there's no way of knowing if skytest is an accurate counterpart to feast or not, so overall my personal opinion is that it's better to focus on doing other stuff for preperation.

Feast is designed to be made without preperation, and yes it's always good to be as prepared as possible. But my personal opinon is that this is an exception to that rule.

davidarmstrong1985
11th Oct 2010, 07:16
skytest is bull****. it only is a nice present for your bin.

if you use skytest, the percentage is very high that you will not pass the training.

the feast is easy, only basic skills, you don't need skytest. skytest is the worst thing you could use!
the feast is not like a test in school. either you have the skills or not!

dcoliv
11th Oct 2010, 09:08
Hi guys,

Anybody know what kind of scores you would need to be achieveing in the skytest examples to pass the FEAST?

Greetings,

I cannot speak from my own personal experience because I did not use the SkyTest software (too expensive). What I can tell you is:

1 - it is perfectly possible to pass the FEAST and SDM tests without previous training, as many people in this forum have done that (myself included);

2 - in my opinion, FEAST and SDM test different things. Whereas FEAST tests whether you have some basic skills, like spatial awareness (distances/headings/angles/cubes), quick reaction time (bars+balls), rule adherence (planning exercise) and the ability to adapt to new rules (the exercise with geometric shapes/numbers, etc.), SDM test is all about how much can you learn in 90 minutes. They do not expect you to reach a 100% score. Instead, I believe they're looking if you have what it takes to learn what they want to teach you in the future.

3 - obviously, it is also possible to pass the tests by previously training. I am not against those who do this, on the contrary actually - I think it shows initiative, willingness to pass and motivation. A good friend of mine, who also applied, bought the SkyTest CD and trained really hard. He told me that the FEAST test was pretty much easier than the one provided in the software. I think that, after some weeks training, he got 100% in the distances/headings/angles test, 100% in the english comprehension test, and between 50% and 80% in the others, with the exception of the cubes, which were significantly lower. Still, he passed the FEAST test.

4 - Regarding the SDM test, he was pretty nervous for some weeks, because he could not reach a score higher than 50% on level 1. That's because the SDM test in the SkyTest software is a lot harder than the actual SDM test. Strips appear constantly and most ETAs are separated by less than 5 minutes. In the actual test, the ETAs are much further apart (e.g. 15:31 and 16:10), which facilitates how quick you can look for conflicts for example. At the end of the SDM test, he had found 7 local conflicts, 0 opposite conflicts, but he never had a warning, that is, he never removed a strip too early or marked an already marked conflict, so that must have given him a good score, because it shows accuracy. Of course, one can argue that his accuracy was due to his training and not to his natural ability, but I do think that what counts is how you are able to learn - either by natural gift or by working hard. It doesn't matter. At the end of the day what matters is that you have done a good job.

I hope this post helps answering some of your questions, and best of luck in the future! :ok:

Flying_Badger
11th Oct 2010, 10:27
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I suppose I was just curious to see how the two compared and what level of difficulty skytest was compared to the FEAST. Perhaps they're not very comparable afterall!

lukejones
11th Oct 2010, 14:58
Hi,

I should be starting at Eurocontrol in February 2011 pending my medical in November. Can't wait! Fingers crossed for the medical. I can't believe how quick the process has been, everyone at Eurocontrol has been so helpful.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what type of leave/holiday/study time trainees are given while on training in both phases? I have been given information, like phase 1 is 14 weeks in a location so far undecided, phase 2 is 20 weeks in Luxembourg and then the final phases are approx. 83 weeks in MUAC. But I'm guessing there must be some sort of breaks, just wondering if anyone with any experience could help me out so I could let my family know when they could see me again!

Also out of curiosity, what sort of holiday allowances are given to ATC's with Eurocontrol? Nothing is really given on the Eurocontrol website.

Thanks

Kind Regards,

Luke Jones.

Also, anyone else meant to be starting in February or have a medical in November (16th) ?

tsorin16
11th Oct 2010, 16:15
@lukejones
My medical should be sometime in March. I was told that the course will start at the end of May.
I'm also curious about the breaks from the training.

Good luck with your medical! ;)

GlobalJourney
11th Oct 2010, 16:19
Hi Luke,

For the first year, your leave will be arranged for you, taken as a group at certain points in the training programme.

You will get a break between finishing your basic training (wherever that may be) and starting at the institue in Luxembourg, and then again between finishing in Luxembourg and starting at MUAC (a week).

Once you come to MUAC, you will do your "transition phase" which is roughly 3 months, (7 weeks of theory, and 4 weeks of simulator training). After this you will do your CC-OJT phase which is about 4 months, and is your first opportunity to take leave when you like (so about 12-16 months after you first start). Depending on when it is in the year, most trainees take at around 3/4 weeks in this period.

After that its back into the simulator for 3 months, which includes a scheduled weeks break at the half way point. Once you have completed that its into the ops room again for your full OJT until you complete your training, and during this time you can take leave pretty much whenever you like.

When you first start though, you will be given the dates for all of your phases of training, so very quickly you will be able to work out when your scheduled breaks will be for the first few phases.

Also, when you are in the insitute in Luxembourg, you will get various long weekends for public holidays etc, which are a good opportunity for popping home for the weekend.

Finally, as for validated controllers, off the top of my head the leave allowance is 24 days, plus 17 days in lieu of public holidays, plus days that are given based on your age, and days for going home based on the distance between MUAC and the place where you lived when you were recruited. So its around 45 days at the moment, although by the time you actually get to MUAC, this will have been reduced slightly with upcoming changes to rostering, where there will be less leave but also less working days per year.

I hope this helps, any other questions feel free to post away or send a PM.

GJ

lukejones
11th Oct 2010, 19:20
GlobalJourney - thanks for your great response, really informative. Really grateful! Can't wait to just get stuck in with it all.

evolv5 - where are you from and when are you taking the medical? Goodluck with it and hope to see you soon

tsorin16 - when did you sit the final phase to be on the May intake? I did the final stage at the very end July. Goodluck with your medical

LessThanSte
11th Oct 2010, 19:38
To be honest, i think if you have an idea what to expect in the FEAST, SDM and Phase 2 tests, you will have an advantage. By idea i mean knowing that there will be a coordinate test for example, and roughly what youll have to do. I was surprised by the amount of people who had no idea there was going to be a cube test in teh FEAST package. Not surprisingly, they didnt pass.

With SDM, just take your time, i didnt find any opposite conflicts but still got through.

The interview is the bit to worry about, where they will root out a lot of people. Happily they do give feedback, though im yet to manage to get hold of the guy who provides it!

band1tu
12th Oct 2010, 06:35
In Phase 1, in the questions containing distances, miles or kilometres are used?

Kamasaka
13th Oct 2010, 22:21
Hello,

Is anyone going to the phase 1 testing on 20th this month?

Thx! :)

mmcg
14th Oct 2010, 06:35
I received an e-mail asking me if I could make the 20th, I replied saying I could and I'm still awaiting the official invitation, so it's looking unlikely that I will be there. How long do they take do send the official invitation? I've been waiting almost 3 weeks which is absolutely ridiculous. How can they expect me to book flights when I have no idea whether I'm actually going?!

esther1965
14th Oct 2010, 09:28
I'm going to attend for the test on 20th! but I'm quite nervous. They said you don't need to be prepared... but looking the post... I will stay at the Tulip Hotel, what about you?.:O
Do you know or someone knows how to obtain an example of the Feast test???

icaruscutaway
16th Oct 2010, 20:01
Don't know if its worth asking anyone here on this forum, but its been on my mind recently. I sent all my stuff in to Imke and have received an email that they will be in touch to set a date for phase 1. This is what I'm curious about; what kind of experience do guys going in for ATC experience have? If any? My situation is having had previous schooling in ATC at a college at a school in the states where I also earned a bachelor's degree (I'm currently in the UK). I imagine that the interviewers will take this into account? Also, will I have a chance to mention my previous training to them?

Anyone with info feel free to message me.

Kamasaka
18th Oct 2010, 09:45
mmcg and Esther, are you finally going to be there on wednesday? I'll arrive tomorrow to MST, more or less at 11 am. Hopefully we can meet up and share some knowledge and relax before the tests!

Best luck and see you soon! :)

LessThanSte
18th Oct 2010, 19:33
icarus, i assume you have mentioned this in the application form. If so, you can guarantee that IF you get to the interview they will ask you about this. But getting to the interview is by no means a formality, its something akin to 1 from each phase 1 test group!

icaruscutaway
18th Oct 2010, 20:05
Yea, that's what I was thinking. Also, don't know if this was mentioned or not, probably was, but are transport and hotel fees covered by the applicant or by Eurocontrol. Someone here a while back mentioned that EC covers it or atleast a piece of it, possibly depending on the distance traveled, etc.

Cheers,

Stelar
18th Oct 2010, 20:14
hi there,

EC will reimburse the travelling costs if you arrive there from 50km< and will pay your hotel room for 1 or 2 nights. Just bring your filled bank account paper and tickets to the big day, they will collect those before the tests and the breakfast.
The bio orange juice in the EC's canteen is really good, I'd recommend that!

icaruscutaway
18th Oct 2010, 20:25
Haha, I like orange juice. Thanks for the quick reply.

LessThanSte
19th Oct 2010, 16:59
Yes Eurocontrol will cover expenses, assuming you dont take the cake. All details are provided in amoungst the details they send you when you confirm you can attend a certain session. And if all else fails, Imke and Sarah are pretty useful resources and will answer most questions!

band1tu
21st Oct 2010, 11:59
hey.. any of the guys that attended phase 1 on 18th of october made it through to the second phase?
Portugal or sweden guy?
Hope to see you there on 10th of November!

Kamasaka
22nd Oct 2010, 13:30
Hey there! I'll be there on 9th too :) Best luck!

Did the spanish girl on 18th pass to the 2nd phase? Anyone present on the 20th tests ( I know your names but maybe you do not want them here ;p), I was there, PM me.

Very good luck again and hope to see you soon! :)

Lupinas
22nd Oct 2010, 19:02
hi there! i was on the 18th phase 1 testing.i was called to be there also on 9th of november. congrats mate.
Greatings from Portugal :D

JoostRoozen
23rd Oct 2010, 19:05
Hey all,

I forgot most of the names but I was at fase 1 on the 20th. Anyone else who passed them?

At least I did! I was so happy when I saw the subject of the e-mail, Invitation phase 2.

Invited back at Eurocontrol on 8 November. Someone got any tips? Didn't have much time to read this topic trough, sure gonna do that soon!

Just curios if any of my fellow testers passed!

To everyone that will be there on 8 November, see you then!

Greetz,

Joost

tsorin16
23rd Oct 2010, 20:47
Congrats for passing phase 1 and good luck with phase 2 :ok:

Reading this thread will give you guys a good idea about what to expect at phase 2.
Focus, pay attention, speak a good and clear English and don't stress yourselves too much! ;)

Kamasaka
23rd Oct 2010, 23:52
Hey JoosT!

I can see that you found out the proper thread ;D. This is the spanish guy that you met in the bus, and the girl sitting with us also did it! We'll all meet on 8th-9th :)

Good luck! :D

And you too Lupinas!

If any of you wants to chat/ share impressions/ get used to my spanglish accent xDDD feel free to send me a private message and we can use msn, skype or whatever :)

See you soon!

SPeety
26th Oct 2010, 13:10
Hey fellows!

I'm the Aachen guy, I passed Phase 1 on 20th, too!
Glad to see that you did it!
PM me whenever you want to talk! :)

Greetings,

Steve

JoostRoozen
26th Oct 2010, 16:00
Haha yeah, google came in very handy!

In the bus I was like, what is he talking about xD Luckily I found it! Very helpfull forum. Thanks alot for the tip.

Any of you (spanish guy or Steve) know how many people passed the SDM test?

See you soon!

SPeety
26th Oct 2010, 21:16
I don't know, I've heard about 4 people in this Forum (including me) and two other Germans.
Have you checked the blog of that raven dude? Its pretty useful!!

Greetings,

Steve

JoostRoozen
27th Oct 2010, 19:03
what blog? Never heard of it ;)

And who was the Raven dude? Didn't pay much attention to names, or looks that day :P Was more nervous about the tests..

Stupid nerves..

SPeety
27th Oct 2010, 21:06
Thank you evolve, was about to do that ;)

Greets,
Steve

Lon More
28th Oct 2010, 23:43
Just had a look at that blog. It's pretty good basic advice for those looking to get on the ladder (FWIW I was in Ab Initio 1 !!! and am now happily retired) Realise the job is constantly evolving. Nothing is set in stone. It is difficult to quantify exactly what we are looking for and some people make it into advanced stages of training before we, or they, realise this is not for them.
Personality plays a big part in the selection. You have to be a team player, yet capable of functioning on your own; of making decisions and abiding by them, but always having a plan B and knowing when things have gone rat**** and it's time to implement that.
Getting though the selection process is not something you can learn - nor should you want to. It won't help you at all should you be selected. It's not 100% a scientific selection, a lot is based on gut feeling on the part of the board, but if you get to IANS you have just become part of a very select group; those who make it through the training process and validate at MUAC have joined the ranks of the best controllers in the world

icaruscutaway
29th Oct 2010, 20:17
Anyone have a used copy of skytest. I want to practice, just not sure if its worth the money.

Lon More
29th Oct 2010, 22:10
Icarus, are you from Aberdeen? :E

icaruscutaway
30th Oct 2010, 11:56
I am indeed, how did you guess? Does it say it in my profile?

SPeety
4th Nov 2010, 13:46
Hey,

My Phase 2 testing has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances... I'll be invited next month. Anyone got the same Mail?

Greetings,
Steve

no pain no gain
6th Nov 2010, 20:58
Heyy Tsorin.. looks like I finally found someone on this forum that starts the course in may!! when did you pass the interview? do you have any idea how big is our group?
anyway I guess we'll all meet for the medical test.. Best of luck man!!!

By the way to those who have phase two in a couple of days good luck!! and to the spanish people; dadle caña que molaria monton que pasarais!! mucha suerte! y si tenies dudas preguntad ;)

just be yourself, relax, and think before speaking!

cheers!!!

tsorin16
7th Nov 2010, 01:11
@no pain no gain
My interview was on 28th of July.
The medical exam should be 3 months before the start of the course, so I guess it's gonna be sometime in March 2011.

I have no idea how many we will be in our group, but we'll be in touch.
We may very well meet at the medical exam. :ok:

JoostRoozen
12th Nov 2010, 22:34
Hey all,

I passed the interview and I think the medical won't be a problem.. So I am almost in!! I was told that I would start in may.. Great because I allready waited for 6 months now.. Then at the end of the interview they said I can start in january 2012 :O

At least I am in but still.. That's more than a year!!

Anyone got any good ideas on what to do in that year.. Maybe an job related to air traffic controller.. Or a study that looks like it.

Thanks for the information that's everyone allready posted here! It's very usefull.

Bey!!

band1tu
13th Nov 2010, 05:45
Good news. I'm in for May also, had the interview 2 days ago.

no pain no gain
13th Nov 2010, 13:42
congratzzzzz both of youuu!!.. by any chance did they tell you where??
cya in medical!

band1tu
13th Nov 2010, 13:50
First phase will be in Langen! Accommodation provided.

JoostRoozen
13th Nov 2010, 14:08
Bandit, did we did a phase togheter?

They told me that first 3 months would be in Germany, frankfurt I think.. But that is if you start in January.

band1tu
13th Nov 2010, 14:17
i don't think so. phase 1 for me was in october, phase two, a few days ago.
i'm in for may!

no pain no gain
13th Nov 2010, 14:19
so.. the may group still doesnt know the location of the first phase??

band1tu
13th Nov 2010, 14:26
read the previous posts:
I'll be in may for the first phase of training in Langen, Germany. And, as i was told, accommodation is provided.

JoostRoozen
14th Nov 2010, 17:57
Band1tu, my phase 1 was 20the of october. phase 2 the 8th of november.

So it would be possible.

dbmartin
14th Nov 2010, 18:54
band1tu or JoostRoozen, how did you knew that you were in? I was told to call on Monday, did you call them or did they call you?

band1tu
14th Nov 2010, 19:20
i was told to call on Friday in the afternoon. So i did!

JoostRoozen
14th Nov 2010, 22:56
I had my interview on the 12th of november, and because I was the only one that day they told me to call in the afternoon.

I did and Imke congratulated me! I was sooo happy :D

Still am xD

SPeety
17th Nov 2010, 10:14
Congrats to you both! That's amazing! :)
I'll have my Phase 2 on 6th December. Too bad I couldn't have it with you guys!

Best wishes,

Steve

Joost, you got a pm ;)

Naem
18th Nov 2010, 13:41
Awesome, I might see you there SPeety!

Was at the November 17th Phase 1 testing, and just received the results:

"You are eligible to be invited for Phase 2 testing which will take place in the
near future at the Maastricht UAC, the Netherlands."

Hopefully they give me an exact date soon. Anyone else from the Nov 17th testing on here? Any results yet?

Jason

SPeety
19th Nov 2010, 01:20
Hey Jason,

congratulation!
See you in Maastricht ! ;)
How many have you been on 17th ?

Steve

Naem
19th Nov 2010, 14:10
Thanks!

There were 8 or so of us that made it through the morning part (about 1/3rd, apparently the most they've had succeed in a long time) - but I'm not sure how many passed the SDM test.

I've still no confirmation about when I'll actually be there other than "near future", but I can always hope!

I'll be spending the evening in the hotel bar if I do make it, you can meet me there ;)

Jason

LessThanSte
19th Nov 2010, 15:54
From our experience, 3 people that i know of made it through the whole of phase 1 (i.e. including SDM!), i was the only one to get to the interview. Of our group at phase 2 (4 of us), 2 got through to the interview. In the group the day before 2 got through to the interview and on the day before only 1 got to the interview. Of those, i believe only 1 passed (not me, sadly)!

JoostRoozen
19th Nov 2010, 19:53
Qoute: There were 8 or so of us that made it through the morning part (about 1/3rd, apparently the most they've had succeed in a long time)

Haha, not in a long time ;)

I had my phase 1 on the 20th of October. We started with 19 and 9 made it to the SDM test.. Almost 50%!!

I know that in total (of that 9) 3 allready passed the interview (including me)

And 1 (Steve/Speety) made it to phase 2.
Another 1 failed phase 2.

So that gives us 4 more unknowns xD Steve, you got any idea how they ended up?

SPeety
19th Nov 2010, 21:31
Well, Is the third one Carlos? Since he's on vacation, I haven't talked to him. Whats with that Italian/Dublin guy?

Basically, no, I have no idea.

Greetings,

Steve

Stelar
20th Nov 2010, 11:21
hey guys,

congrats on getting through for everyone who's made it.

I passed the interview too, but it'd really good to see it "on paper". Did you get any confirm-mail after passing the interview?

Cheers.

tsorin16
20th Nov 2010, 12:14
Congrats Stelar!
Yes, I received the letter with the result via e-mail. It was just a few hours after I called to ask about the result.

Stelar
20th Nov 2010, 12:28
Hi tsorin,

congrats to you too, and hm, good for you.
I think the best would be wait another week then call them.

When and where will be your course (if they offered you something already)?

tsorin16
20th Nov 2010, 16:30
At the time I had the interview, they didn't know the exact location for the first phase of the training.
I was told there are 4-5 possible locations and that I'll get more details later on.

The course will start in May.

JoostRoozen
20th Nov 2010, 17:16
@Stelar, I had my interview the 12th of november and the only confirmation I got was the call. No letter or email or anything.

@Steve, The dublin guy failed the phase 1 morning part. I don't know the italian guy xD

The people that I know that passed are: Carlos, the spanish guy. Gina the german Girl and me.

no pain no gain
20th Nov 2010, 18:44
i only got the call too no email.. i was wondering about that couple of weeks ago.. i guess ill call about that. its always better to have it on paper..

SPeety
20th Nov 2010, 23:22
@Joost

The italian guy IS the dublin guy. There was a "genuine" Dublin guy on Phase 1, yeah, but there was also the Italian guy who's living in Dublin now, who attended the interview. :D
Anyhoo, so glad Carlos and Gina made it!

Best wishes to you all, please keep your fingers crossed ;)

Steve

band1tu
21st Nov 2010, 06:20
The italian/Dublin guy attended the interview in the same day as i did, but i don't know his result.
Nothing written for me neither. Just over the phone.

Gina90
21st Nov 2010, 17:11
Hey guys =) Congrats to all of you who made it!

I also just got the phone call! Did anyone of you call for any feedback? Because they told me that we can call as well if we pass...

no pain no gain
21st Nov 2010, 17:31
congrats you too! mm i didnt.. but i might as well ask about the feast results.. the interview must have been good xD.

SPeety
21st Nov 2010, 18:02
EDIT: Sorry, wrong post

JoostRoozen
21st Nov 2010, 18:03
Hey Gina90,

I did call for feedback actually. For the phase 1 feedback you have to call Sarah Teed, and for the phase 2 and 3 you need to call David Artieda (looks like it xD)

Sarah told me she couldn't give me the exact scores but she could tell me an overall result.

I did everything extremely good :D My english was the worst but the rest was excellent!! I couldn't believe it because the multi-task thing went horribly wrong! :P

For the phase 2 and 3 feedback i'm going to call next week.

Joost

Stelar
21st Nov 2010, 18:33
hi JoostRoozen,

did you call the number below Sarah's name in the EC-mails?

iceman2160
21st Nov 2010, 22:45
hey everybody, this forum has been quite useful for all sort of information regarding the selection process so I've signed up.
Anyone else around here that had the FEAST on 16th november?

Antonia Maria
22nd Nov 2010, 15:20
If I am 18 years old and I'm still in high school can I apply for the air traffic controller trainee?

iceman2160
22nd Nov 2010, 19:00
Not yet, you need to finish high school and take the end of high school exam.
After you have the diplomas (diploma for finishing high school and the bacalaureat diploma) you may apply.

Gina90
23rd Nov 2010, 08:30
Well, I'm still at school and I passed the Interview 2 weeks ago...
so I think it's possible to apply without the final exams...

PhiltheReaper
23rd Nov 2010, 09:21
WOW this is a long thread! I missioned it through the first 20 odd pages, but after that I admin, I buckled and skipped to the last!

A lot of useful information in this thread, and a lot of repeated information! :O

It almost reads like EUROCONTROL is an easier process than NATS?

What would those with experience make of that comment?

Cheers,
Phil

JoostRoozen
23rd Nov 2010, 09:49
Hey Stelar,

After I heard I passed the interview I wanted some feedback. So I sended Imke an e-mail with the question how to get it.

Then she emailed me 2 numbers back. I don't have them right now.. I will search them for you ;)

@Iceman: you can apply, you need to be in the last year (i thought).
@Antonio Maria: yes you can apply. But you need to get your diploma this year. And if you really want to be 100% sure, Gina did the test the last couple of weeks and passed, she is still in high school. Otherwise just call Imke!

JoostRoozen
24th Nov 2010, 13:56
Hey all,

I got an email this afternoon from Sarah Teed that I can start in May.
Offcourse I have to pass my medical on the 22,23 or 24th of February.

Any tips for the medical? Do you need to have a good condition or is it only your health?

Thanks allready!

Joost

PhiltheReaper
26th Nov 2010, 13:25
It almost reads like EUROCONTROL is an easier process than NATS?

What would those with experience make of that comment?

Could I just "bump" this question? Sorry for the (ish) double post...

Phil

Stelar
28th Nov 2010, 18:20
Hey guys,

if I pass the medical and sec. check then I'll be one of the May group.
Any future-mate? Messages here or in pm are more than welcome.

Cheers!

Joostroozen what do you say for sharing a flat during the training?:]

JoostRoozen
29th Nov 2010, 16:35
Hi Stelar,

Who are you xD Did we meet on the first or second phase?
I think accomodation is taken care of for the first 9 months..

But if we come back to Maastricht it would be great to have a nice room mate ;)

After some emailing with Sarah I might even be in the January group! If other people cancel or fail their medicals.. Then I would start in Belgium! Much closer to my own house.. Would be a lot better for me..

I will let you all know ;)

Joost

hatemyjob
29th Nov 2010, 16:43
Any tips on preparing for stage 2?

Skywards777
29th Nov 2010, 17:24
Hi All,

Any idea how long it usually takes for them to get back to you with the online test details?

Cheers,
Sam

band1tu
30th Nov 2010, 06:33
at the interview, i was told that accommodation is provided.

JoostRoozen
30th Nov 2010, 09:31
You mean the BAQ personality test and the motivation test?

You won't get the results from those. They will discuss them at the interview.

Tips for stage 2, stay calm, sleep well, know your english and know what a flight plan is ;)

Skywards777
10th Dec 2010, 14:23
Does anyone in the UK know where they do the 'Certificate of Visual Performance'? I went into Specsavers today (where I had my eye test done last week) and they said they were unable to complete it.

Cheers

JoostRoozen
10th Dec 2010, 14:57
Hey Skywards,

I don't know about the UK. But every opticien I went to couldn't complete it either. Nobody had the right equipment.

I would advise you to look up a special eye center.. Or the hospital (that is where I tested my eyes (they filled in the whole form).

Be sure to do it as soon as possible! When I called the eye center in august (a special kind of place that focusses on (geuss what) eyes..) they said the first possible date was 15 november.. So do it fast!

Hope you find this usefull!

Skywards777
10th Dec 2010, 15:21
I'll try the hospital tomorrow, thanks! :)

Something happening quickly on the NHS... Never! :sad:

Servetnyk
10th Dec 2010, 20:26
Hello!!!My name is Alex.
Do you have some info about sky test??? Maybe somebody know any links where i can load sky test free,without payments???
I need it to prepare for FEAST test!!!!
Help please!!!

Barxi
15th Dec 2010, 12:24
Hello ¡¡¡¡

I am Bárbara from Spain. I suppossed you are from here also, but anyway , I am going to talk to you in english.

I am writing to you cause I have to go in January to do phase 1 ¡¡¡

Do you have any idea , what I have to do?¿?¿

In which phase are you in?

I´ll wait for your reply .

Thanks in advanced.

Barxi
15th Dec 2010, 12:32
Hi Phil ,

Are you there???

JoostRoozen
15th Dec 2010, 16:55
Hello Barxi,

First of all, good luck with phase 1!

The people here come from many different places ;) I'm from the Netherlands but there are also people from Spain, Italy, Germany, France and other countries.

Phase 1 exist of the FEAST test, and if you pass that, another test called the SDM test.

The FEAST test are many different little excersises. Think of, reaction speed, multi task abilities, english language, abilities you need to be an succesful air traffic controller.

For more detailed information read this page: FEAST test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEAST_test)

The SDM test, Strip Display Management test is done after you passed the FEAST test in the afternoon. First you will get a training that takes around 1 hour to finish. You learn how to sort, delete, and change flight strips. Also you learn how to find Local and Opposing conflicts.

After the training you'll have to do the actual test. Takes about half an hour. You will have to do all the things you just learned.

Don't worry if you don't know the words.. You don't need any preparation for both the tests. Just have a good night of sleep and stay focussed during the day.

Every test will be explained and again, no preparations required.

Hope this helps!

best wishes,

Joost

White14
17th Dec 2010, 14:44
I wanted to ask you about all the procedure of phase 1 and phase 2.
How it works? I am from Lithuania, and if I am going to Maastricht UAC, how long I have to be there? One day, two days? When I will know if I passed phase 1, when EC will invite me to the second phase?
And how is with the trip expenses? EC is buying a ticket, or I am buying it and latter they are giving money refund?
Thank-you for all the information:)

JoostRoozen
17th Dec 2010, 20:24
Hello White14,

I explained the day of Phase 1 in my last post.
If you're from far away you'll get a hotel room for 1 or 2 night before the day of testing. There is also an oppurtunity to get one 1 or 2 nights after.

The travel expenses are reimbursed (so you'll pay them yourself and get them back.) You also get an extra 10 euro's for the bus trip from the hotel to Eurocontrol and back.

At Eurocontrol you get some breakfast and lunch vouchers to have something to eat.

After the first part (the FEAST test) you'll have to wait about an hour or an hour and a half for the results.. This is when the tension builds up ;)

You'll get a letter that says if you passed or failed. When you passed, you go to the SDM test, if you fail, you go home.

After the SDM test it's time to go back home, or to the hotel.

After a few days you'll get an e-mail saying that you passed or failed. If you passed you'll get an invitation for phase 2. I don't know what the time between the fases is. It's not a standard.

When you get invited for phase 2 it's the same story. You get a hotel room for the amount of days you need.

At the day of testing you go to Eurocontrol, you'll get the vouchers and you start with a group discussion. You'll get some information and have to solve a problem TOGHETER!! Make sure everyone says some usefull things. When you'll solved it, a women will come with some additional information that might change your solution.

After that it's time for an individual test, make a flight plan. After that you'll have to present your plan to 3 observers, you'll get some questions and then it's waiting again, till everyone presented their plan.

After that you'll go discuss your plans in another group discussion. You'll probably take something out of each plan and make a final plan.

Then you'll have some lunch and go to the Ops Room. That is where the fun begins! You'll get to sit next to a working Air Traffic Controller for about half an hour. Afterwards you'll have the feeling you could sit there the rest of the day. Just ask him anything you want, they explain it all and you'll learn something!!

Then again, it's time to go home. You'll get a call probably the same day. Again it's pass or fail.

Fail means, game over
Pass means you'll have to go to the interview. It's 1,2 or 3 days after the phase 2 test. So you'll probably stay in Maastricht then.

The interview takes about 60 to 90 minutes. They ask you things about your motivation, family and much more. At the end of the interview you'll have to solve 2 or 3 problems. You'll have to explain the way you think.

If you're lucky you can call them in the afternoon, otherwise it's around a week later.

Fail or pass, same story.

If you pass you'll get an invitation for the medical examination. I've got mine 22 february so I can't tell you anything about that..

Hope you'll find this usefull. If you have anymore questions just ask!

I'll answer you next week. I'm going on a holiday tomorrow so no time to check the forum then!!

White14
18th Dec 2010, 15:25
Thank You so much for explaining me everything so clearly! I have an exam session in university in January, so I just wanted to know how long I have to be inMaastricht UAC. If it is only for two days that's OK, I can handle with my exams, I just don't wanna make an impression, that I don't care about the ATC position, it is very important for me, I just didn't know that EC is going to invite me in January! And I am really happy for that!!! :)))
By the way, have a nice holiday!!!

Barxi
18th Dec 2010, 15:26
When do you have to go to Maastricht?

Regards,

Bárbara

Barxi
18th Dec 2010, 15:29
White 14 ¡¡¡¡

When did they tell you ? The last week of November?

When do you have to go in January?

I don´t know the date yet.

Bárbara