PDA

View Full Version : So where are all the jobs then?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Whiskey Hotel
17th Jan 2015, 14:39
Correct, there is no pilot shortage. If you read what I said, the movement of pilots to the Middle East will open up new first officer positions at low cost carriers, plain and simple. Demand will be very small, but it is the only glimmer of hope that is there for low hours pilots right now. Emirates are hiring a good number of ex ryanair FO's, so in turn the seats that they vacate will need to be filled. I'm not saying that there will be thousands of vacancies, but a small but hopefully steady stream.

Ryanair have noticed this and are addressing the issue by giving command positions to suitably qualified FO's, but it is only partially stemming the outward movement of their pilots.

speedrestriction
18th Jan 2015, 09:34
I think WH is right. Plenty of guys (mostly <35 yo RHS) building hours in the Locos with a plan to move to the big middle eastern carriers. More experienced people making the same move tend to be doing it in order to find a more stable employer than their current one (think charter outfits with layoffs over the last few years) and those moving due to actual redundancy.

From what I see the main drivers in the employment market in UK / Northern Europe are the large low cost airlines. Their scale, success and employment practices have altered the jobs market for pilots.

1) They totally dominate the growth in the sector. Where there is growth, there are jobs.

2) Their continued success has two sources: business generated by offering more affordable seats and also pax won over from other carriers who cannot compete on cost. This leads to restructuring/failure of other airlines who end up putting experienced pilots out on the street.

3) The problem really arises with their employment practices for a number of reasons. Also recruitment for the Locos tends to be either DEC or cadet with very little on offer in between. This cadet channel can be very narrow, sometimes only one supplier.

There is no shortage of people to fill the cadet side of the equation. There is not a huge amount of DEC on offer and undoubtedly supply is much tighter but this is of little concern on this forum.

Where are the airline jobs then for newbies?

1) Low cost carriers

2) Other carriers immediate post re-structure (frequently they cut too deep)

3) Smaller operators/regionals who recruit at a lower level in drips and drabs without necessarily putting a big ad in FlightGlobal.

Not mind-blowingly original, I know.

dboy
20th Jan 2015, 17:04
Same here. Got a bit more than 3000h on learjet but being fed with the company and aircraft. The only job that was offered was from a company that paid less than a cashier in Wall Mart.(with all respect for them).

And for the rest...well there was always something why i was not meeting the requirements (typerating, not speaking the language etc etc etc).

At the moment i'm thinking of doing job orientation and getting at least a regular life.

hoox
20th Jan 2015, 22:59
Good posibility for all Europeans: Swiss European RJ100 (https://careers.swiss.com/?language=2)

Just filter for Cockpit Jobs. Paid TR, full salary of 75.000chf from day one of TR, excellent company. No hours needed, only tricky requirement is german b2 level.

Good luck!

P40Warhawk
20th Jan 2015, 23:12
That you should get via for example Goethe Institute ;) . Its not really high level B2.