View Full Version : NATS interview process

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

latitudehopper
25th May 2008, 09:27
A quick question for any NATS training insiders on here. Is there an option to defer entry into the college for 6 months/9 months? it would be for life logistic reasons but I don't want to seem ungrateful if that situation arose.

SACrIGGER
25th May 2008, 09:55
There is scope to defer entry, it's a HR decision.

The usual cause for defering entery is medical issues.

smellysnelly2004
25th May 2008, 10:15
Lat Hopper,

I was allowed to defer for 9 months for logistic/financial reasons.

Vic154
26th May 2008, 18:00
Sorry latitude, doh should have looked at the year lol.

Yeah how time flies eh!

latitudehopper
27th May 2008, 14:25
No worries at all, thanks for all the info on delaying entry! Fingers crossed I get that far!

kevpem
28th May 2008, 21:01
Just found out that I have made it through Stage 3, so great news! Just the medical now...

Is there any reading material worth reading in advance of the course? I have at least 5 months before my earliest start date and want to use it wisely.

Thanks, Kev

SACrIGGER
28th May 2008, 23:15
I would get yourself a copy of the Trevor Thom book, Air law and met. Read all the MET sections, as this is the same book that the college teach from.

There iare copies in the college libary, but they are very limited.

I believe that the latest edition is January 2007, always best to get the most recent edition with things regarding air law.

Also worth a look is the MATS pt.1, but don't go into too much depth, as it will be disected bit by bit at the college.

The MATS pt.1 (CAP 493) can be found on the CAA website, under publications, and the Trevor Thom book can be found on google, or at the following link-

http://shop.pilotwarehouse.co.uk/product269023.html

smellysnelly2004
29th May 2008, 13:28
As usual, totally agree with Sacrigger.
MATS 1 is a very dry document that can be confusing without instruction but worth a quick read.
Also, you will probably have to recognise different aircraft and quote basic stats about their performance. Airliners.net do a good little multi choice a/c recognition test which is worth a look.

latitudehopper
30th May 2008, 17:15
Booooooo, I didnt get through stage 2, what a shame. Oh well, does anyone have a copy of the NATS expense form? they have sent me it but its corrupted. Cheers in advance!

Vic154
30th May 2008, 23:30
Unlucky Latitude, better luck next time, know where you went wrong? Any feedback for other stage two takers?

MissZC
31st May 2008, 10:12
Hi, am currently working as an Air Traffic Assistant, however, i am going to my first NATS selection interview on Tuesday in Belfast. Can anyone tell me what happens at these??

SACrIGGER
31st May 2008, 14:18
See the relevant posts in this thread, it has been discussed many times.

timelapse
31st May 2008, 14:52
The expenses form that they email you is just called "Expenses Form" - with no file extension.. if you rename it to "Expenses Form.pdf" it should open fine in acrobat.

twentypoint4
1st Jun 2008, 21:11
Hello fellow Nats guys (and gals).

I recently found out that I've got through the 2nd stage, so now its on the the 3rd and final stage!
Without trailing through all previous posts in this thread (although it would probably be for my own good) can anyone tell me how different the interview is from the second stage interview?
Im guessing because an ATCO is present that it will be much more of a grilling? Am i right?
I ended up getting pretty worried prior to the 2nd stage interview although it ended up being pretty tame as far as interviews go. Should I bother getting worried about the next one or is it pretty chilled out?

Muchos appreciatos

FlightDeckDave
2nd Jun 2008, 08:01
Anyone had results for Stage 1 back in London 24th May Friday?

littlemisstinker
2nd Jun 2008, 10:08
Still waiting on results from 19th in Glasgow !!

It's possibly the longest 15days of my life !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed for everyone though ....

tinker

stephan870
2nd Jun 2008, 21:12
I was at the afternoon session in London 23rd and still no results either!

ratty89
3rd Jun 2008, 15:56
Waiting nervously on Stage 1 results from Glasgow 19th...meant to get them today!! not sure how many times i've checked my email now!

good luck everyone! x

workman01
3rd Jun 2008, 16:49
Also still waiting on the stage 1 results from Glasgow on the 19th, just so your not dissapointed Ratty next Monday is the latest as it is 15 working days not just 15 days.

So you have 2 weekends and a bank holiday (I preusme bank holidays don't count as a working day)

littlemisstinker
3rd Jun 2008, 17:21
I to presumed that the b.holiday didn't count ..........

15 working days - office days !!

ratty89
3rd Jun 2008, 22:25
forgot about the holiday! ... hmm well hopefully tomorrow?!

littlemisstinker
4th Jun 2008, 09:08
10th is the latest .............:ok:goodluck everyone x

johnvrs
4th Jun 2008, 13:42
Just this second got the email asking me to do the Occupational Personality Questionnaire, was expecting to be waiting until last thing on Tuesday until then.

workman01
4th Jun 2008, 14:45
As I suspected I did not reach the standard needed to be invited for stage 2. I have no doubt it was down to the spatial reasoning and maybe some of the diagramming at a push but hey ho that is life, There is always next year.

Now does anyone wanna give me some pointers on how to get my head around the spatial reasoning...lol

stoneyrosetreered
4th Jun 2008, 14:57
Maybe we should set up a support group for that 15 day waiting period.

Hello everyone my name is James...

Sorry Craig, Like you said good luck next year

FlightDeckDave
4th Jun 2008, 15:09
Hi James,

I'm Dave!

FDD

ratty89
4th Jun 2008, 15:12
as suspected i also failed to get to stage 2! gutted!

see you there next year workman01!

kerrchief
4th Jun 2008, 15:31
Hello all just found out I've been invited to do an online personality test I'm very happy to get through the initial tests (done in glasgow 19th 0930)

The thing I thought I would fail on was the 'Cube Nets' where I answered 28 out of 40 questions but I'm fairly certain I got 25 of them right or more. dont know if that helps any of you but I thought it might be useful to know.

I'm guessing the personality test is failrly straight forward but if anyone thinks they have a usefull tip please feel free to write it down.

Thanks KC

faztaz
4th Jun 2008, 18:39
does anybody know what the occupational questionnaire means?

Does this mean I passed phase one???

:bored:

msoutham
4th Jun 2008, 18:49
I was unsucessful at the first stage also, probably for the same reasons mentioned by Workman01. :ugh: We need advice!

Bamboozle Woozle
4th Jun 2008, 19:20
Faztaz,

If you have been asked to do a Personality questionaire, then you have made the minimum grade for the initial tests - Well Done! But beware, coz you can fail the PQ!

I had my stage 3 last week and we took the opportunity to ask HR about it. It seems to be that if you pass the initial tests by a wide margin, then its pretty much impossible to fail the PQ. However, if you only just make the grade, then it is quite easy to fail the PQ. As at this stage you don't know how you did, then you can't know how easy it is to fail on an individual level. Savvy?

Hope this helps,

BW

stu_h
5th Jun 2008, 07:15
Workman01 - Just picking up on how to practice spacial reasoning. I've seen some people who can do it standing on their heads, but others can't. I was one of the ones who couldn't, and failed my first stage 1 for it.

I did find a way to practice though that worked for me. I worked at a car parts place at the time, and all our stock was weird shapes and angles. Every day, I would choose a new part and look at it from each angle once. Then, i'd try and visualise what it would look like rotating, upside down, 45degree angle etc. I did this until I got it right every time.
Next day - different part, and repeat the process.

After a while the part's became irrelevant, it was the ability to imagine something rotating mentally and not lose track of a particular mark, or which way a line ran over a surface etc, that I had learnt. The next year I did stage 1, the cubes seemed easier.

No guarantee it works for everyone, but it worked for me.

Good luck
Stu.

workman01
5th Jun 2008, 11:46
Hm Sounds good, I had thought maybe actually making loads of nets and trying it out that way and visualizing putting it together and different angles etc.

Anyone tried this method?

faztaz
5th Jun 2008, 16:47
Cheers woozle mate, I just sat through that horrible personality questionnaire, I think im an overly confident, outspoken individual who likes numbers and analyses individuals obsessivly!

I hope thats what they're looking for :bored:

Now I just wait,
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR APP!

faztaz
6th Jun 2008, 14:02
Well i just got the result of my personality questionnaire and I didn't make it into stage 2...

I'm absolutely devastated and will deffinately be applying again next year.

Good luck to all.

Bamboozle Woozle
6th Jun 2008, 16:19
YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Just found out that I passed my stage 3 - Bournemouth here we come!!! :) Can't stop bouncing round the room....yay!

If anyone wants any help or hints about going through the selection, just drop me a PM and i'll be happy to help!

BW

Btw, Gonzo is a real pusscat in an interveiw....if you know how to tickle his tummy!!! ;)

Pinarello
6th Jun 2008, 19:39
Well done Woozle!

Just found out I also passed stage 3. Very pleased! Looking forward to getting down to the hard work!

A big thankyou to PPRUNE and especially all the posters on this thread who provided fantastic advise.

NATS (especially HR) have been awesome :D

Good luck everyone!

Gonzo
6th Jun 2008, 22:02
I honestly don't know how to reply to that one!!!! :cool:

I can't remember any tickling going on in any interview I've conducted in the past few weeks.....don't think my HR colleague would approve of that sort of interview technique! :}

Although......no, actually I won't say it!

timelapse
6th Jun 2008, 22:10
I'm sure some of the things people have said have tickled you - at least :E

Gonzo
6th Jun 2008, 22:15
Oh, if you only knew...............:}

We could write a book on the silly answers we get.

One of my favourites, and this was a few years ago now, was one bloke who swore blind that a/c navigate from LHR to New York by following ships across the Atlantic.

Bamboozle Woozle
6th Jun 2008, 22:59
You mean they don't......;)

Gonzo
6th Jun 2008, 23:01
He would have been correct if the year had been 1909 (look it up, fact fans), but 94 years later? :}

Bamboozle Woozle
6th Jun 2008, 23:03
Frankly, I think that that was a rather ingenious answer - now why didnt I think of that! HF radio indeed.....!

j2wo
8th Jun 2008, 12:33
Anyone who has recently completed stage 3 or been through it:

At stage 3, in the interview 'with an ATCO and a HR assessor' what is the difference between these? The selection process PDF says stage 2 is also where an 'HR assessor' interviews so is this a repetition or different - in what way?

timelapse
8th Jun 2008, 14:33
From my experience..

The stage 2 HR interview is a set of structured questions which are set out, written down and have to be asked in a certain order. The assessors don't enter into conversation with you and you are marked on a scale for each question that is asked.

The stage 3 HR interview is more like a proper interview, dicussive and chatty and more like a conversation than the first one which is similar to an interrogation! :)

Bamboozle Woozle
8th Jun 2008, 15:42
I would concurr with Timelapse there. Stage 2 is structured, so everybody gets asked the same questions - and there isnt really any interaction with the HR assessor.

In stage 3, the questions that you get asked depend a lot upon you. Both the HR assessor and ATCO interview you at the same time, so they are both assessing the answers that you give to one or the other of them. Many of your questions are likely to based on information that you have already given them, such as your online personality questionaire, so are individual to you. Also, depending on how you answer a question, depends on the question that follows - so you could say that it is quite a dynamic interview.

Hope this helps - best of luck!:ok:

Gonzo
8th Jun 2008, 16:30
Very much so. A lot of the questions we ask depend on the answer you gave to the previous one.

j2wo
8th Jun 2008, 18:56
Further question, upon reading the first several pages of this thread, many have cited a 'Learning Styles Questionnaire' - in the stage 1.

What does this comprise of - is it similar to the personality questionnaire at all?

Thanks for replies

charl0tte226
8th Jun 2008, 20:56
So, I just found out I got thru to Stage 3, does anyone know the pass rate for Stage 3?? cheers

timelapse
8th Jun 2008, 21:12
Don't start worrying about statistics... and definitely not at this stage! Just concentrate on your qualities and the reasons you WILL get through.

You don't want to know percentages, you really don't.

chedchenko
8th Jun 2008, 22:34
Charlotte,

Timelapse's spot on!

It was explained to us by the H.R. and ATCO interviewers at the briefing before the Stage 3 Team Task that there was no pass rates!!! .... basically, if you're good enough you'll get through. Just dont give them a reason to fail you!- Visit an Area and areodrome facility, Learn all the notes backwards, maybe read one or two A.T.C. books, Find out about N.A.T.S. history, background, mission statement, future plans etc., Be able to back up your H.R. interview answers with relevant examples........
...... above all, be positive and focused and you'll do fine!

Besta Luck,
Chedchenko.

stephan870
11th Jun 2008, 21:21
Just found out am through to stage 2 Woohoo! just wondering whether the stage 2 is in london or somewherelse? Cheers
Stephan

Gonzo
12th Jun 2008, 03:37
Stage 2 is at CTC in Fareham, near Southampton.

alphamanic
15th Jun 2008, 17:35
Could anyone shed any light on how long the security checks usually take? :confused: Thx in advance.

JonG
15th Jun 2008, 18:38
The only way you find out when they're done is if you have something of interest. Do you have something to hide?

craig51
15th Jun 2008, 19:07
Evening all,

I have my Stage 1 test next month, and I received my confirmation email.

I carried out the practice tests, got 100% for the first two questions, but only got 2 right in the third question, Diagramming.

Does anyone here know where to get other similar questions from to practice?

My other question, if I eventully make it to the college, I am aware that there will also be a requirement to study at night/weekends etc.

Do I need to study at weekends at the college, or can I travel home again?

Thanks.

JonG
15th Jun 2008, 19:50
Studying at weekends will definately be a necessity at times whilst at the college. This won't prevent you from travelling home as long as you set yourself time aside to study when you are there.

Gonzo
15th Jun 2008, 20:22
It's changed since I was at the college (long, long ago, back in 1998, before anyone else comments.....:} ), but I used to study for a few hours Monday-Thursday evening, then have Friday evening and Saturday off and resume studying for most of Sunday.

AJ7
15th Jun 2008, 21:01
agree with gonzo... i did maybe 3 hours each evening mon-thu, then went out fri night/sat morn spent sat recovering/playing evo/watching trash on tv then did a bit more on sunday. personally i think the key is going over what you do each day... and finding out exactly what you do and dont understand asap. theres little success in cramming down there and i used to be a master at that :suspect:

craig51
16th Jun 2008, 10:15
thanks guys.

I just dont want to balls things up at the very first stage, so any practice on the diagramming side of things is a must for me. I will also be reading the motovational paper which they sent to me via an email link.

ALso, I have read on here there is a computer based test, as well as a Maths test. Can soemone describe breifly what type of questions there are on each test.

Just want to give it my very best shot. If I fail, and I can say i put my very best in, then I wont be 'too' disapointed!

If anyone here has recently gone through the stage 1/2 process, can they PM me, be good to have a wee chin wag as it were!

Thanks.

alphamanic
16th Jun 2008, 15:54
Thanks JonG, Not that i know of :uhoh:...

smellysnelly2004
17th Jun 2008, 00:14
I think the amount of study required is very much down to the individual.
Some worked every night and most of the weekend, most followed a pattern something like Gonzo/AJ and others did practically nothing until a week before exams.
All of the styles worked (and failed!!) for different groups of people during my time there.
My view was always that I would have been very unhappy to fail something due to lack of work so worked very hard from Sun to Thurs. Friday night was blowing of steam(beer) night and Sat was a day of whatever I fancied.

Jay79
17th Jun 2008, 14:01
It's one year since I reached the final stage in Glasgow and was unsuccessful. I'll be reapplying at the end of next week.

Is there anyone else who'll be applying for a second or third time this year?

Vic154
17th Jun 2008, 17:24
I'll be reapplying for a second time in a couple of weeks, but then I didn't get past stage one last year :(
Been glued to this site during that time, thanks to everyone for your helpful posts.

mike1711
17th Jun 2008, 20:16
Hi guys,

First of all I would just like to thanks everyone who has posted on this thread, as its been really helpful.

I have been invited to stage 2 interview and was wondering if anyone had arranged a tower visit before their 2nd stage interview or did you arrange a visit after passing the 2nd stage and before the 3rd?

Anyone know how to arrange one? PM/post please:ok:

simfly
17th Jun 2008, 20:57
All, I would not take yahoo's info re college life too seriously. The only students I've seen who do a last night study session and went out 3 nights a week INCLUDING WEEKENDS either failed the basic course, or took a few attempts at more than one course..... None of it is easy, and it never gets easier. You just have to get your head down, do the work, and do a few hours study most nights, and a lot more in the days coming up to an exam. It is all do-able of course so don't let me make out that it is impossible, it's just intense! I'm sure there's many reading this more than happy to agree.............

AJ7
17th Jun 2008, 21:00
maybe yahoo is the human form of his name... can quickly skim everything and come up with the results?? :suspect:

timelapse
17th Jun 2008, 21:02
I would agree with two things.. everyone's different, and it is intense.

Some people just absorb information and can readily remember it, others study in different ways. It's all about how you work..

Personally I put the work in every weeknight and had most of the weekends off (except for the weekend before my oral board..and before a few exams). My theory was that if I put in as much work as I could and failed then so be it, I'd tried my best.. but I wasn't going to let the opportunity slip if I could help it by doing a bit more work.

Don't forget too that the pass mark on the theory is 70%, which is what most universities use as their top-grade mark, not their pass mark.. so depending on what you're used to getting in exams you might have to adjust your style!

smellysnelly2004
17th Jun 2008, 21:32
Yahoo,

I'd wager there are very few people in the world who can absorb 80 pages of MATS 1/2 info word for word and reproduce (a selection of) it by only studying the night before.
This is what you have to do to pass the written on advanced these days.
Also, if you haven't failed anything, then you would have spent about 9 months at the college in total - things are more condensed these days.
From 211 I can think of 1 person who passed that did CONSIDERABLY less study than everyone else (still much more than yahoo suggests) but he had one of those crazy memories.
The rest of the mere mortals were left to slog it out:(:(
Excellent advice for the interview though:ok::ok:

AJ7
17th Jun 2008, 21:54
mere mortals? :E don't remove the mystique snelly...

although i have just put my ankle in a cast so maybe i am :ouch:

i think the point that is being made overall is that it is a different kind of learning to what most will have experienced before. having done chemistry at uni, i had a (wrong) conception that i knew how to study. the college is a fast-moving place where an awful lot is crammed into whichever 3 month course it is. the last thing you want to do is get behind as it is awfully difficult to catch up from there. everyone has a different approach and indeed circumstances (weekends at home etc) but the core aspect of weekday study i would consider essential.

its probably a hell of a lot more than you learn in a lot of degrees in probably a quarter of the time. hopefully all you applicants will get to have this lovely experience :E

ZOOKER
17th Jun 2008, 22:59
AJ,
So, "having done chemistry at uni", you declded to hop along to the College of knoweldge, -good idea!
You are correct when you say it is a fast-moving place. It's going at about 18.5 miles per second, - but then again, so is everywhere else :uhoh:

timelapse
17th Jun 2008, 23:04
Whilst I know that a degree is by no means a requirement for NATS - nor should it be - personally I doubt I would have passed the selection process without it, simply because of how much I changed during my time at uni..

So I don't think it's fair to suggest that getting a degree then moving into ATC is a poor career choice which you are doing in your sarcasm zooker..

Apart from anything else, it's a very useful backup.

smellysnelly2004
17th Jun 2008, 23:08
2 days after I add him/her/it to my ignore list, Zooker is (deliberately no doubt) causing trouble again.
Can't say I'm surprised.

timelapse
17th Jun 2008, 23:11
Indeed - yawn.

ZOOKER
17th Jun 2008, 23:17
Timelapse,
I said it was a good idea! -Now run along and take lots of pictures,-very quickly :}

ZOOKER
17th Jun 2008, 23:19
smellysnelly,
If you have added me to your ignore list, why are you reading my posts? :E

smellysnelly2004
17th Jun 2008, 23:26
Curiousity got the better of me and I removed you (from my ignore list) to read the inevitable drivel you were spouting.
I proved myself right and was once again disappointed with the level you once again dragged me to.
Enjoy listening in.

Gonzo
18th Jun 2008, 05:07
Smellysnelly, you've found out the most important aspect of the 'ignore' function; resist the temptation!

morgstar
18th Jun 2008, 08:02
'All apllicants i would strongly suggest that you get at least one ATC visit in before your interviews.'

Have to say i agree that this is a good idea.
On the confirmation email for stage 3 it actually says, 'it is not neccessary for you to visit a unit before your interview.' however, one of the first questions in my ATC part of the interview was, 'what preparation have you done for today?' when they learned i hadnt visited a unit i had to explain myself.
Thankfully for me i had a reason why i was unable to visit and it didn't affect the interview but even though it states you dont have to visit a unit i would definately suggest you do so.
I actually think its a slight test to see 'how interested' you are in ATC.

Tordan
18th Jun 2008, 08:39
During my interview I was asked some questions that were directly related to ATC situations. I´m curious about the pro´s take on one of them, not related to the interview but how one would handle the situation in real life.

"Two aircraft are approaching head on but on different FLs. The lower one requests a climb that would mean that it would cross the others FL. What would you primarily base your response on?"

I sometimes have a tendency to overanalyze things and therefore try to go with my first thought which in this case was to look at the distance between the aircraft since that wasn´t given in the question. I figured that if they are very far apart it´s safe to issue the climb, if they are too close I´d wait until they´d pass each other. How close is too close? I don´t know, I´m just a wannabe ATCO :)
They only wanted my short answer without an explanation so I don´t know what that question was looking for, could be whether I could think of something logical at all or just go blank.

Anyways, I can see that such a situation is farily complex (or perhaps not) even if one knows the distance and closure rate of the two aircraft. I´m assuming that a FL change is not done at the same rate as a normal climb since the pilots don´t want the transition into and out of the climb to be too abrupt, perhaps a sedate twist of the VS knob to give 500-1000 ft/minute? Since that is unknown to the ATCO in advance what do you base you decision on? A very large marginal of safety? First separate laterally, then climb?

Sorry if this is too OT.

The Many Tentacles
18th Jun 2008, 11:09
Depends on how far apart they are when the lower aircraft asks for climb, depends on the type of aircraft it is (A340 or something with a similar climb rate) and how busy I am.

If I'm busy then the plane will probably wait, unless I have a need to vector it for something else which would fit in with climbing it against the other aircraft.

My immediate reaction would be to wait until they've passed, but if there's other conflicting aircraft behind the first one then it may not get a climb at all - if I've got to put four or five aircraft on headings to climb one then it may not be worth it. If it's a safety reason, like icing, then of course it will be done as soon as I can accommodate it, if the pilot just wants to save a few quid then iot will be done when and if I have time.

That probably doesn't make much sense, but without seeing the exact situation I couldn't say what I'd do. It's the usual situation of asking 10 controllers what they would do and getting 11 answers back. The trick is to keep your workload as low as possible whilst still giving planes what they want.

Tordan
18th Jun 2008, 12:06
No, that makes perfect sense. A fluid situation makes for fluid solutions.

Ivor_Novello
18th Jun 2008, 17:36
quoting simfly

You just have to get your head down, do the work, and do a few hours study most nights, and a lot more in the days coming up to an exam.

...says the man who's the king of the remote control, with long night shifts of TV and whisky, is never seen doing any work and passes everything first time ! ;)

simfly
18th Jun 2008, 18:23
...says the man who's the king of the remote control, with long night shifts of TV and whisky, is never seen doing any work and passes everything first time !

I do it all when you've gone to bed, the whiskey is so I don't have to "go out" and saves me money as we're only on 10k :ok: Otherwise I couldn't be that good, could I??? ;)

ZOOKER
18th Jun 2008, 21:00
smellysnelly,
I see your location indicator has changed to LTCC. Good news I hope! Which frequencies will you be doing? I might be able to hear you on my "tranceiver".

AJ7
18th Jun 2008, 21:59
simfly... the night prowler. and there may or may not be video evidence of this :}

i saw him mis-identify an aircraft... once.:hmm:

twentypoint4
19th Jun 2008, 15:59
Would just like to wish the guys who were at their 3rd stage interview today (Scott, John etc) the best of luck... and hope to see you all in sunny Bournemouth soon!;)

peachesincream
19th Jun 2008, 22:45
has anyone ever gone again to the interview b4to the 12 month ban ends?

ganonman
19th Jun 2008, 22:54
Ug, just fell down at stage two. I think it was the interview rather than the computer tests. Going to phone HR tomorrow to see if they'll give me any feedback.

... dough :sad:

If anything I feel a little more confident now for when I reapply.

PS: If anyone has any issues with where the stage 2 is held or how to get there once you are nearby then feel free to contact me as I work just up the road from the place. :)

amydunn
21st Jun 2008, 11:09
Hi guys,

I have my stage 1 interview next month and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to expect? :confused:

I have read that alot of people are failing at the 2nd and 3rd stages.....is it really that difficult to get through? It seriously making me lack in confidance!

Any information would be greatly received!! :) xx

alphamanic
21st Jun 2008, 11:58
Hey amydunn, Just study the material they sent you and check out the spacial reasoning tests online and you should do great :ok:

CH1001
21st Jun 2008, 13:36
Hi all, am currently putting in preperations for my stage three and of part of this am hoping to pay a visit to Prestwick ACC & a Tower (preferably in north England). Could anyone please help ?? Many thanks in advance. :ok:

ganonman
22nd Jun 2008, 14:53
Amydunn,

Good advice from alphamaniac. Just read the material you are given lots of times and the motivation paper is easy, and as for the spacial reasoning, the tests are the same as the pdf they give you to look at, just more questions and a little harder maybe (especially with time constraints). But nothing should really take you by surprise.

As for stage 2, I failed last week, but some of us get through right? So thats not really worth worrying about, just go with it as you get to it. :)

andruha02
22nd Jun 2008, 17:28
mattaysmittay (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=232455)

Cheers for the good luck message matey! I got in and should be at the college in october or january. Hope you and the other guys at CTC on the 19th made it through and hope to see you at the college!

Andy

Markieq
24th Jun 2008, 14:59
I'm hoping to arrange a tower visit prior to my stage 3 interview next month. Ideally I would like to visit the one at Birmingham, but would be more than willing to consider elsewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to who to contact with regards to this?

dazpoo23
26th Jun 2008, 15:00
Hi, with my stage 2 fast approaching i have suddenly become increasing nervous about the upcoming interviews. I am confident that i have put in enough work to pass the motivation paper(btw, does anyone know the required pass mark?), but most of all i am insecure that my age and inexperiences may hinder my ability to sufficiently answer some of the HR questions. I plan on traveling down from b'ham on the day of assessment (12:15), So does anyone have any advice or wanna talk me through the day to help calm my nerves!

Cheers!

stoneyrosetreered
26th Jun 2008, 16:25
Don't be worried about your age I know (have heard of) a certain SATCO who did his at 18 and is now in a place of.. unfortunate power.

Gonzo
26th Jun 2008, 16:53
Yeah, age doesn't come into the equation; some of us went through the selection process at 17/18, and we haven't done too bad.....

We look for maturity, not age.

dazpoo23
26th Jun 2008, 19:54
Ah, i am more then aware of Gonzo's Youth when starting his training, however i am not in the situation to supplement my answers with endless aviation experiences.

mike1711
26th Jun 2008, 20:02
Does anyone know if the motivation paper in stage2 is multiple choice the same as in stage1 ?

Thanks

SACrIGGER
27th Jun 2008, 06:51
yes it is.

mike1711
27th Jun 2008, 18:54
Thanks for prompt reply matey,:ok:

tomlewis
2nd Jul 2008, 19:22
hello all.

ive got my third stage coming up on the 21st of july and i thought i would let everyone know the process i went through just in case it helps anyone.

firstly im only 18, i finished sixth form literally 2 weeks ago so it goes to show that anyone can do it. you just need to apply yourself. my first stage was held at the hilton hotel at tower bridge, london. even though the email says smart, casual its always best to wear a suit if possible, (first impressions are important). there were 50 people at my test, all standing around looking nervous. firstly we were seperated into one large and two smaller groups which then went off to do either the motivation paper, the pychometic tests or the meeting with the atc.

i was in the larger group so i had to do the three tests first, personally i felt this was good as i was still fresh when i had a go at them. the tests are hard, though if they don't seem hard, it means you havnt done them right. they are designed to test you and you should not finish them. these three tests took 45 minutes, the time flies and use the note pad provided where appropriate (it helped me alot).

after these tests my big group was split into two smaller ones and we then went into the motivation test and the meeting. i did the meeting first and asked some questions about the job. this is not part of the selection so you can relax and take it all in. the motivation paper was relatively simple. it was basic questions about the material you will be sent. its easy enough if you put the work in.

after this test we were free to go. it took a week for HR to send a SLR questionnaire via email, i was not aware that this occured but i did it anyway. answer truthfully and honestly because even though there are hundreds of questions, they all ask relatively similar stuff so its easier just to be honest. after completing this i recieved an email asking me to book my stage 2 interview. this was at the CTC at fareham, southampton. there were only three other guys at the interview and they were nice enough. i advice you to try and get to know your fellow applicants, not only does it make the time go faster but you now have people you can contact throughout the remainder of the process.

the second stage consists of a computer test and a structured interview of roughly 60 questions. i did the computer test first and found it completely impossible. i came out and nearly left as i felt i did so badly, but again you are meant to feel this way. they are designed to seem impossible. my advice is don't give up and just keep trying to answer as best as possible, however stressed you get.

next is the structured interview, the lady who interviewed me was really nice and i was quite comfortable throughout. be prepared for some strange questions and DON'T LIE. after this is had to completed another motivation paper which lasted 30 minutes and was alot harder than the one in stage 1 so revise ALOT. i am serious you are going to want to spend alot of time looking through the material and getting to know it well. i recommend a few hours a day, after this test we had to fill out a security questionnaire and another questionnaire alot like the SLR one i had to fill out online. after that we were free to go.

after a week of nerves i finally got an email telling me i had been successful and i am through to the last stage.

i advise you to try and get some work experience at a nats location. i live in bournemouth so i spent time at the college with the guys on the course currently. when i told the woman i had done work experience she looked impressed so i think this will help alot.

other than that good luck.
hope this helps.

amydunn
3rd Jul 2008, 11:03
wow, all the info has really helped calm my nerves so thanks!! What sort of questions do you get asked in the structured interview?? Just so i have a general idea xx

dazpoo23
4th Jul 2008, 15:36
I just finished my stage 2 yesterday and found out i got through today. I think the information on page 35(?) of this thread helped a lot, (think it was from nokio).

Id just like to add a few quick thoughts; firstly, those computer test are bloody difficult! that motivation paper was bloody difficult! (call signs for Bournemouth anyone? Frequency range of VOR's? no, anyone?), however i didn't find the interview too nerve racking, speaking as a person who is, err lets say, the opposite of savoir-faire, the whole interview was fairly relaxed & like the someone said before, I was quite comfortable working through the assigned questions.

now, lets try and finally arrange a site visit, leads anyone?

nppatt
4th Jul 2008, 18:02
Hi,
Just wondered what the stage 1 testing involves. Obviously I have read the example aptitude tests which are provided by NATS, but do they also test verbal reasoning/mental arithmetic or is it typically a test involving stuff very similar to that outlined in the examples. Also, how long are the tests?

Thanks for any info.

JonG
4th Jul 2008, 18:23
dazpoo, surely all that stuff was on the information they gave you.

dazpoo23
4th Jul 2008, 18:28
it was on the paper, just not in my head at the time of the test, i suppose i assumed they wouldnt be that cruel, they were.

do you know the answers to the aforementioned questions?

Gonzo
4th Jul 2008, 19:19
Bournemouth's designator is EGHH, and VORs operate in the band 108.0MHz to 117.95MHz.

I checked, and both answers came up on a Google search using sensible search strings.

Bamboozle Woozle
4th Jul 2008, 19:56
Gonzo, you really do need to get out more!!!

Gonzo
4th Jul 2008, 20:03
Well, I would have said VORs work in the band 108-118MHz, but I'm sure someone would have come on here and corrected me. :}

Bamboozle Woozle
4th Jul 2008, 20:06
Aaah, you mean the person who corrected you in the first place....! Its worrying when the Interviewers don't even know the answers to the motivation paper! ;)

Gonzo
4th Jul 2008, 20:21
For those not aware, there's a recurring urban legend amongst NATS candidates, completely fictitious, that someone tried the motivation paper at a stage two a while ago, and one of the candidates there beat that person's score. This person didn't like being shown up so, and promptly failed that candidate..

Completely fictitious.

:suspect:

AJ7
4th Jul 2008, 23:16
Mischief making tales now...? I can say with some certainty that that situation would have been very unlikely to occur when i went through the interview process. More likely the question - 'Are you motivated at all??'

On related matters... are the questions still multiple choice?

timelapse
5th Jul 2008, 00:03
Gonzo you'll start an outbreak of fear in the already fearsome candidates! They won't want to do too badly or too well now!!

What have you done :E

chedchenko
5th Jul 2008, 11:00
..... Does anyone have any constructive ideas/comments as to what preparation can be done before starting at the :8 college in October. I did see a post a few months back regarding course books and material but I'm unable to locate it! Also, if you could share your views on accomodation, house shares, room letting etc. in relation to price and location in Bournemouth.... grateful I would be!

Thanks for your help. :ok:

stoneyrosetreered
5th Jul 2008, 11:17
MATS Pt1 may be a good read
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP493Part1.pdf

AJ7
5th Jul 2008, 13:31
chedchenko...

in terms of prep for college: have a good thorough read of the stuff they send you - i think its still the Nav DLP although maybe more now. make a start on aircraft recognition if you dont know them apart already, it'll help a lot.

asides from that have a read of MATS I (as linked above) but maybe stick to section I as thats the general stuff.

lafouine
5th Jul 2008, 20:58
Hi,

I just applied for the stage 1 (coming up on 1st August).
As I read this tread through (quite long thread actually), I see people talking about what's called "motivation paper".
Could you give me more insight about it (or them if there are a lot to fill in)?

How would one prepare for that 'cause I read earlier someone say something like he had prepared himself well enough on it... so...?

Yea so I wanna make it through for the 1st stage and I'd like to have some advice about how to prepare well or on what should I spend more time preparing, things like that?

Thank you for replying.

Chris

chedchenko
5th Jul 2008, 23:33
Thanks a million AJ and STONEYROSE.
Much Obliged.

justanothertatc
7th Jul 2008, 10:52
as i remember it, is just a multiple choice question paper on material they send out with your stage one invite. While it *might not* be up to date, learn it because thats what the questions are taken from. I remember my paper a year ago being dated 2002 or somesuch - about 5 years old.

The questions are not too difficult, but you will need to read the material you are sent at least a couple of times!

alphamanic
7th Jul 2008, 12:59
One thing i remember from mine in February is that you should refresh your memory with the old Speed = Distance/Time. Otherwise learn the paper they sent you and you will do great! :ok:

katwoman
7th Jul 2008, 13:25
Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone has a stage 1 in Glasgow this Friday (11th)??

Feeling a bit nervous :eek:

I've been thinking of a career as a ATC on and off for a few years and I'm still not sure if this is the career for me...has anyone managed to visit Prestwick or Glasgow to shadow/wrk exp etc??

stephan870
7th Jul 2008, 14:29
Hey all iv got my 2nd stage on thursday 9am :) and I was wondering whether the October intake of students is full yet as If I get through this stage and the 3rd Id like to start as early as possible!
Cheers
Stephan

andruha02
7th Jul 2008, 14:58
Hi stephan, I passed my stage 3 a few weeks ago and was told that I may start at the college in october or january as final numbers haven't been decided. If you get through I think it's very unlikely you'll start in october, it'll more likely be january (or even april) depending how quickly you get through stage 3 and medical etc etc...

lafouine
7th Jul 2008, 15:20
thanks for the tips!
Take care

craig51
7th Jul 2008, 17:07
Katwoman, I will be there for the 1300 session!! :ok:

Norbas
8th Jul 2008, 09:39
Hi all,

Just reading through this thread with interest, can't help but wonder if I'm going to be about ten years older than every other applicant at 31 :8

Dave

swisseddie
8th Jul 2008, 10:43
Hi Dave,

I'm 32 and have my stage 3 on Monday so thus far age hasn't been an impediment.

Wish I had thought of applying 10 years ago but ho hum, never mind.

Good luck with your application and if you have any questions about stage 1 or 2 pm me.

Keep flying the flag for us oldies!

Jon

smellysnelly2004
8th Jul 2008, 11:08
Norbas + Swisseddie,

Don't worry about the age thing.
There is a good mixture of ages on the courses - mostly 21-26 I reckon with a smattering younger and a few more 'mature' TATC's.
I'd guess about 10-15% of the people who started our course were 27 and over.
There was no obvious correlation between age and passing either.
Personally, I found it really hard to get into the swing of studying to start with but it quickly became the norm again.
Good luck guys.

wazzer1976
8th Jul 2008, 12:18
Hi Dave,

I'm with you too mate, 32 here and sweating on results of stage 1. Fingers crossed

Norbas
8th Jul 2008, 13:47
Thanks guys, makes me feel a bit better!

Good luck with your applications, I'm due to stage 1 on Monday morning.

monkeyboy21
10th Jul 2008, 08:34
I'm 35 and just passed my stage 1 :ok:

Next the online test - anyone know what to expect or is it a case of 'answer all the questions as honestly as possible'

wazzer1976
10th Jul 2008, 15:16
Hi all, I attended my stage 1 about two weeks ago but haven't heard anything back yet, is this normal please?

Cheers

stu_h
10th Jul 2008, 16:24
Wazzer,

If it hasn't changed, then I think it can still be up to 15 days for results.

Usually, it is less than this, but not always. Quickest result I had was the next morning, the longest was 11 days (which was after my stage1).

If you haven't heard anything by the end of day 15, then I'd suggest giving them a call.

Stu

EzyChic
10th Jul 2008, 18:47
Hi Guys,

sorry if this has already been answered, just have a quick question ref the document we have to read in preperation for stage 1. There is a lot of info on aircraft type, seating capacity etc etc, do we need to memorise all this?

Also, do I have the right copy as mine is a 2003 issue and I know some of the info in it is incorrect, but don't want to look like a smart ass pointing that out.

Any help would be appreciated.

I did have a skim through the thread to see if my question had already been answered but couldn't find anything.

Cheers

Ezy

AJ7
10th Jul 2008, 19:03
Ezy...

I think it may be a case of they simply havent updated the info, and that its just whether applicants take the time to learn what they are given...

Learn what you can of it, never sure what may come up but it'll be in or closely related to the info. And don't forget D/S/T :ok:

Good luck :)

EzyChic
10th Jul 2008, 19:05
D/S/T ??????

*Looks confused*

AJ7
10th Jul 2008, 19:13
Distance/Speed/Time and all that...

A/C flying at 420knots, 70 miles between A+B, how long to cover that distance etc...

Looking confused... you'll be right at home here then :}

wazzer1976
10th Jul 2008, 19:22
Stu, is that 15 working days or 15 days please?

Cheers

Warren

bgoldfish
10th Jul 2008, 19:38
Wazzer - was 15 working days when I went through Stage 1. They did let me know quite quickly - but the email did say 15 working days as a maximum.

wazzer1976
10th Jul 2008, 19:42
Thanks guys, I'll wait patiently, I know I can do this job well :}

craig51
10th Jul 2008, 22:06
Distance=Speed*Time and all that...

A/C flying at 420knots, 70 miles between A+B, how long to cover that distance etc...

Looking confused... you'll be right at home here then

Now see, this is where i get annoyed at myself. Using my physics ie D=S*T, the sum is 70miles divide by 420kts (lets assume 420kts is also 420mph)

So the sum would be 70/420 = 0.16 =1/6th hour = 10 mins

Now thats allvery well with a calculator, but how to divide 70 by 420 in your head? Also, if the answer is 0.24, how to convert that into minutes in your head?

smellysnelly2004
10th Jul 2008, 22:25
I'm sure there's a cleverer way but personally...
60kts = 1 mile a minute
420kts = 7 miles a minute
70 miles = 10 min

No calculators required:D:ok:

Atcham Tower
10th Jul 2008, 22:26
I did that in my head in about 5 secs and I'm about 40 years older than you are! The secret is to break the speed into 60 kt increments (one nautical mile per minute). 420 kts = 7 NM per minute. 70 miles divided by 7 = 10 mins. Who needs a calculator? :)

Bamboozle Woozle
11th Jul 2008, 07:23
"QFE and QNH are arbitrary Q codes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_codes) rather than abbreviations, but the mnemonics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonic) "Nautical Height" (for QNH) and "Field Elevation" (for QFE) are often used by pilots to distinguish them."

Simply just googled QFE and got this, there is more in Q codes if you wish to find out more. ;)

craig51
11th Jul 2008, 09:53
thanks for the answer, but it doenst involve using d=st.

Do NATS want to see the working out, or just the answer?

Bamboozle Woozle
11th Jul 2008, 11:15
Its multiple choice, so they just want you to put the correct answer - doesnt matter how you get there! I would recommend practising the 60kts per minute method, (from my interview experience it was invaluable!) as it is much easier to work in your head - especially when those crafty interveiwers put you on the spot at stage 3!!!

AJ7
11th Jul 2008, 14:17
Bamboozle is correct... they're not going to throw out something that isnt do-able in your head... or at least they didnt through my process :}

Now the mental maths on the computer tests at stage two whilst you're watching another part of the screen and have 2.6 seconds to answer... thats a bit diff :ouch:

Basically its simple numbers. Forget physics or the term D/S/T if you want. Division and multiplication of what will usually be factors of 6 pretty much cover it :)

craig51
11th Jul 2008, 17:44
Well, thats me back from my stage one in Glasgow. Fingers crossed I did well. The day went smoothly enough, got there, upto 2nd floor, registered, watched a DVD while the rest registered. This was when things got interesting.

While I was waiting, got chatting to a couple of guys, and asked them about the motivation paper. All i got was blanked looks. After some more chat, it turned out they never got the second email with the link etc, or anything through the post!

One of them went to speak to an organiser, and she then got us all together, and asked how many of us didnt get the material. From about 30 of us, 11 i think went home! I felt really sorry for them as one came all the way from Newport :sad::sad: They were offered the chance to sit it, but if they failed, they would have to wait a year!

Anyway, we were then sent through to a room, sat down at tables of two, and were given the checking paper. 5 mins to check as many as possible. Then the cubes, which we got 15 i think. Then the diagramming one, applying the change to the pattern, think we got 15mins for that.

The group was then split into two, one to sit the motivation paper, and the rest of us to speak to a controller. This i found was very helpful and we had a good chat.

Then the paper, which was 20? mins long. All in all, a good day, think i did OK, but really felt for the guys/gals who went home without even sitting the test!!!

Gonzo
11th Jul 2008, 18:09
Bamboozle is correct... they're not going to throw out something that isnt do-able in your head... or at least they didnt through my process :}

Adrian old chum, you obviously were never interviewed by me! :}

Pencil, paper, scientific calculator, C5P slide rule all required!

lafouine
11th Jul 2008, 19:12
hi you said I quote :

" Anyway, we were then sent through to a room, sat down at tables of two, and were given the checking paper."

What do you mean by "the checking paper"?

What did you have to check? is that what's called the motivation paper?

Are the controllers cool and and do they share a lot of their "knowledge" with you or do they just wait on you to ask questions and answer them by a wee answer?

Thanks for replying.

Chris

PS: Good luck on your results, I wish you to get through to the 2nd stage.

lafouine
11th Jul 2008, 19:14
oh dear,

That's gotta be tough then.
Hope I fall on a good star!!!

lol.
kidding.

Take care.

Chris

timelapse
11th Jul 2008, 19:19
Yeah many a candidate has fallen flat after Gonzo kicks off the interview with the simpler questions, to break the ice.. String Theory and Quantum Interlocking Pair-Tunneling Phenomenon are his favourites I've heard.

He has very high standards!

AJ7
11th Jul 2008, 19:30
Indeed I wasn't... for which I am eternally grateful :suspect:

I anticipate being caught at some point though for a technical poser or two. I live in hope otherwise :E

Like the time when salicyclic acid cropped up in my oral board... :ouch:

AJ7
11th Jul 2008, 19:36
lafouine

The 'checking' Chris refers to is Basic Checking: Its to do with the ability to match strings of digits or letters exactly and accurately in a short period of time.

For example, 134867 will be printed on the left hand side of the page.

You have to pick out the exact match to that from the right hand side of the page. I think its 50 to do in 5 mins.

Adrian

craig51
11th Jul 2008, 19:51
As per AJ7, thats exactly what it is.

Re the chat with the controller, she really was excellent. I have been in a group many times when we have to ask the person questions, and without fail, no-one says a word. BUt she was really cool, described what she did, and she just let the conservation flow. She was also very honest and candid re pay/conditions etc, and I thought overall it was very good.

I must say, i have been to a lot of interviews, and this was one of the slickest around.

The hotel was in a great spot ie good links to motorway, airport, public transport etc, no time was wasted faffing around, and all the organisers were happy and polite.In some places the hotel/venue is in the middle of no-where, you get a grunt from the staff, and things takes ages to do!!

lafouine
11th Jul 2008, 21:42
all right,

I got it now,

just like the thing presented in their practice paper they send you.

OK, I think it's called clerical tests, not too sure!

anyway thanks for your help.

I LIKE this thread, your questions get answers really quick!!!

Thank you guys!!!

Chris

Bamboozle Woozle
11th Jul 2008, 22:13
Shame Gonzo's high standards don't include passing the motivation paper....! ;)

Gonzo
12th Jul 2008, 03:27
Oh, I passed. :}
Definitely passed !!

The Many Tentacles
12th Jul 2008, 20:52
Major airfields have a double letter at the end of their designator.

EGLL - Heathrow
EGKK - Gatwick
EGCC - Manchester
EGFF - Cardiff :confused:
and so on.

That's about the only thing I've noticed. There are geographical groupings, but they're loosely based. Newcastle - NT, Humberside - NJ and NV that I can never remember. But then Leeds is NM and if my geography serves me correctly and it does tend to get hazy north of Watford it's West from that lot

bgoldfish
12th Jul 2008, 21:00
aewaite17,

I've just had so much fun playing some games on the NATS careers website :8 They are new to me - I've never come across them before, so wonder if they are new to everyone?!

The games relate to some of the computer tests you'll have to do at your stage 2 - so it's well worth having a look. NATS Games (http://natscareers.co.uk/_Games/)

Also, read through this thread - quite a few people give their experience of the computer tests.

AJ7
12th Jul 2008, 21:01
ICAO codes can make very little sense... esp here in UK. I find that if you try a little mnemonic for the less obvious ones they tend to stick. Some of the ones i have/had make absolutely no sense but it works... EGHD - High Definition - Plymouth. Don't ask how... :}

Practice for the stage 2 computer tests... a good nights sleep? you either have good reactions and spatial awareness or you don't really.

Best of luck though :)

13th Jul 2008, 08:27
EGLK - Lorraine Kelly - Blackbushe ;)

amydunn
13th Jul 2008, 10:08
Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone else has their stage 1 interviews in manchester on the 30th july?? x :)

The Many Tentacles
13th Jul 2008, 10:16
EGLK - Lorraine Kelly - Blackbushe

The only way I can remember it too

NeoDude
13th Jul 2008, 12:59
EGNV - No Virgins - Durham Tees Valley. :}

simfly
13th Jul 2008, 13:09
EGPF- Poor F***ers - Glasgow.....

AJ7
13th Jul 2008, 17:24
i think i brought up a subject that is only going to go in one direction from here... :E

Mr Red
13th Jul 2008, 18:01
EGBJ, a girl I met from GLOUCESTER who was very welcoming ( Ibiza when I was 17! LOL)

smellysnelly2004
14th Jul 2008, 15:43
EGDL - Des Lynham, Lyneham
EGDG - Dude's gone surfing - St Mawgan
EGNR - Nice and rigid - Hawarden

Atcham Tower
14th Jul 2008, 16:23
Mr Red, maybe it was that girl's mother (an ATC Assistant) who told me how to remember EGBJ and EGHJ!

ZOOKER
14th Jul 2008, 16:30
EGHR - Horseracing... Goodwood.
Tentacles, Could you explain post 1198? Does Lorraine Kelly actually live near Blackbushe?

SACrIGGER
14th Jul 2008, 16:33
A couple of football related ones-

Liverpool EGGP- Gerrard Plays,
Leeds EGNM- Nigel Martin,

watch_the_birdie
14th Jul 2008, 16:44
Tentacles, Could you explain post 1198? Does Lorraine Kelly actually live near Blackbushe?

Eh? Is that a wah?

blackBUSH

Vic154
14th Jul 2008, 18:57
Hey guys,

Just a quickie about reapplying as a Trainee ATCO. I've just logged into my old account from last year in the Recruitment bit but can't see a link to "Reapply", do I have to register anew again and create a fresh account? Or can I use the existing one?

Thanks!

Vic

NeoDude
14th Jul 2008, 20:39
Just re-register. Thats what I did the second time around.

ZOOKER
14th Jul 2008, 21:03
Negative Birdie, I have checked in both Pooley's and the UK AIP. It is definitely BLACKBUSHE,--with an 'e'.

eyeinthesky
15th Jul 2008, 11:00
EGNT Northern Tossers: Newcastle
EGNH: Northern Holidays: Blackpool
EGLC: London City (dull)

wazzer1976
15th Jul 2008, 16:53
Hi All,

Have just completed the wonderful SHL online personality test, somehow feel like I have been phsycoanalysed to death.....NATS probably know more about me than I do :}

Anyone else just done the test at the moment?

Evil evil test :E

nppatt
15th Jul 2008, 20:33
There are a couple of posts regarding the PDF for the motivation paper not being attached in the stage 1 invites from NATS HR. Can anyone confirm that this documentation is in fact the "test_materials.doc" file which is included as a link in the HR email for stage 1 invites.

I am a little concerned that I am missing something, because I have had no link to a "PDF" document.

Thanks in advance.

AJ7
15th Jul 2008, 22:17
if its somewhere in the region of 30 pages of info regarding ICAO codes, and a/c recognition then thats what you're looking for...

nppatt
15th Jul 2008, 22:28
The only thing that I have been sent is

http://natscareers.co.uk/docs/test_materials.doc

Is this the only thing that is required?

Cheers.

craig51
15th Jul 2008, 22:47
nppatt

You can find it here, its actully a word document.

http://natscareers.co.uk/docs/test_materials.doc

Gives a description of NATS, how airspace works,and at the end gives a whole list of aircraft and their specs etc.

AJ7, is that not stage 2??

nppatt
15th Jul 2008, 22:48
Okay, many thanks. That is indeed the document that I have.

Cheers.

AJ7
15th Jul 2008, 22:51
as i remember it when i did it, it was the same document?? or did i somehow manage to get away with it? :}

EzyChic
16th Jul 2008, 12:18
Shocking!

I passed stage 1.

I thought I'd really botched it up, flew up to Glasgow on Friday morning, and have an email asking me to do the online test today.

Those cubes really threw me, was sure I'd failed.

There's hope for us all.

Ezy

x

wazzer1976
16th Jul 2008, 15:57
Well guys and gals, here's one that unfortunately will not be joining your ranks, this year at least! Just got my rejection email, knew that damn personality test would catch me out! :(

All the very best of luck to all of you who make stage 2 and will be checking on here regularly over the next 12 months to keep up to date with all that goes on in the world of ATC until I can finally make the grade myself and join you.

Here's to counting down the next 12 months till my next application!

Take care guys and gals

Wazzer

Norbas
16th Jul 2008, 17:03
Sorry to hear that Wazzer, better luck next year. When did you sit your stage 1 tests?

wazzer1976
16th Jul 2008, 17:15
Did stage 1 on 27th June in London, think I did well on those, felt confident. Just the damn personality test that got me! Still counting down those months already, not gonna let this beat me, just a minor setback in getting my dream job. :ok:

Norbas
16th Jul 2008, 17:17
I must admit I'm worried about the personality test (if I pass stage 1), everyone says be honest which is what I intend to be. However it still worries me that I may not be what they want which would be very disheartening :bored:

classicwings
16th Jul 2008, 20:37
I am still unsure as to whether I passed the Stage 1 test day despite receiving a follow up email from NATS asking me to complete the separate personality questionnaire.

I was initially led to believe that as I had been asked to complete the follow-up questionnaire, I had passed the initial tests, however the response I got from them after completing it was:

'Thank you for completing the online personality questionnaire. After careful consideration of the results of both the aptitude tests and personality questionnaire, I regret to inform you that you did not reach the required standard.'

Did this mean that I had passed the Initial tests but had singularly failed to charm them with my personality or was it a result of underachieving in 1 or more of my Stage 1 tests or in both areas?:confused:

Fretwanger
16th Jul 2008, 22:26
Ahh man, hard luck, how long did it take to get the results of the personality test back?

wazzer1976
17th Jul 2008, 06:26
Since I have now failed, for this year at least, to gain NATS sponsorhip through college, does anyone know of other colleges apart from Bae in Wales where I could try and self sponsor? Does NATS college in Bournmouth accept self sponsor students please?

Any advice out there greatly appreciated, this is going to be a long 12 months methinks :ugh:

Fretwanger
17th Jul 2008, 09:59
Eurocontrol in the Netherlands.

EUROCONTROL - European Organisation for the Safety of Air Navigation (http://www.eurocontrol.int)

Good Luck!

EzyChic
17th Jul 2008, 11:20
I just called NATS for feedback of my aptitude tests apparently they take the aptitude and personality tests into consideration. So you could do ok on both and get through, or you could do really well on aptitude but rubbish on personality and fail. I guess it works on some kind of point scoring system and you have to reach a minimum amount combined. Correct me if I am wrong, just my presumption and understanding.

I just did the personality test and think I sound like some hormonal unsociable wierdo, I'm not at all.

Oh help

Ezy

Fretwanger
17th Jul 2008, 11:48
Well best of luck Ezy, I hope you do well, although I'm sure you're just being too critical of yourself.

Fingers Crossed!

lafouine
17th Jul 2008, 14:33
I too think you're being too hard on yourself!!

"I sound like some hormonal unsociable wierdo,", that was funny though, i mean the way you said it ;)

Hope you get through and Good luck again.

Take care,

Chris

wazzer1976
17th Jul 2008, 15:00
Thanks Fret, will certainly look into that, have emailed them for info....Just gotta convince wifey to go dutch :E

craig51
17th Jul 2008, 18:19
Well I failed Stage 1, really bummed about it. I thought I did really well at the checking, diagramming and the motivational paper. IMO, my only weak point was the cubes!

I have emailed NATS for a little bit of feed back. Oh well, next year it is!

Fretwanger
17th Jul 2008, 19:08
Unlucky Craig, imagine how psyched you're gonna be next year though!
Best of luck and with all due respect I hope the year passes quickly for you ;)

See you around!

craig51
17th Jul 2008, 21:08
Cheers Fretwanger, only 11 months and 3 weeks to go :8

EzyChic
18th Jul 2008, 08:15
seriously, it kepy asking me if I liked spending time with people, I kept putting it down as the least like me, not that I am a social retard or anything, just wasn't a priority. Then I ended up saying I trust no one - I don't think it's a rejection letter I need to expect I think it's the men in the white coats who'll be worried about speaking to me because I take offence at anything. Oh and I ended up saying I hate routine, but I like numbers....at least I'll get an abacus in my padded cell - but no regularity :-(

wazzer1976
18th Jul 2008, 08:32
Unlucky Craig, I reckon there's a few of us on here who should arrange a "NATS Rejection Drink Up" :sad:

Fretwanger
18th Jul 2008, 09:20
Any excuse ;)

wazzer1976
18th Jul 2008, 10:21
Too right Fret!!! :ok:

EzyChic
18th Jul 2008, 11:20
Can I come? Just to show I am sociable really, despite that evil personality test.

Or are girls not allowed?

I can act all manly and drink beer if you like, but you will have to peel me up off the floor.

Grrrr

Fretwanger
18th Jul 2008, 11:35
As long as you do manly things like play snooker and drink bitter you'll be fine, oh and you have to know the offside rule - much like that Yorkie advert from a little while ago.

Did you pass the personality test Ezy?

EzyChic
18th Jul 2008, 11:41
Haven't heard back yet :-(

They're probably on their way to get me as we speak - either that or they're too scared to send the rejection email incase I get too upset and try kill myself or something.

Will let you know as soon as I know.

I do (roughly) know the offside rule. I don't drink bitter and have no idea how to play snooker. But I can talk dirty, which usually gets me by :-)

Ezy

wazzer1976
18th Jul 2008, 11:47
Given the large geographical area of people's locations, any suggestions for a fairly central drinking location? :\

I think we should open this up to a big NATS drink up; existing controllers, guys and gals going through selection and us guys and gals who still wanna feel part of the team whilst we wait 12 months to apply again :{

Anyone up for it? Ezy, more than welcome...I'll bring the shovel ;)

Fretwanger
18th Jul 2008, 11:56
Count me in!

Sorry Ezy, no snooks no entry :p dont care whether you have a gammy mouth or not :P although i get the feeling i am now going to be mobbed :\

nah seriously good luck and you're always welcome to any get together from me anyway.

craig51
18th Jul 2008, 17:01
Cheers all,

Does anyone know where I can get a practice book like the one they gave out at the exam, in particular, diagramming and those cubes???

It would appear that those let me down this time!!

Gonzo
18th Jul 2008, 20:05
Ezy,

I do (roughly) know the offside rule. I don't drink bitter and have no idea how to play snooker. But I can talk dirty, which usually gets me by :-)

I was going to reply to that, but I'd only get into trouble!:E

EzyChic
18th Jul 2008, 20:19
*looks confused* as always

Bamboozle Woozle
18th Jul 2008, 20:21
I didn't think that an interveiwer with the integrity and morals that you have would be persuaded by something like that Gonzo.....;)

Gonzo
18th Jul 2008, 20:30
I'm not saying it would work, but hypothetically speaking it is an interesting interview technique!!!

Bamboozle Woozle
18th Jul 2008, 20:40
Right....so who was it who wanted to know how to pass their stage 3 interveiws?!!

Read a little into Gonzo's previous post and I think we may have found the answer....When were you interviewing again Gonzo?!!

Gonzo
18th Jul 2008, 20:49
Couldn't possibly comment.......:suspect:

EzyChic
19th Jul 2008, 08:38
...I really have missed something here haven't I?

timelapse
19th Jul 2008, 10:09
Yes. Yes you have. :}

Bamboozle Woozle
21st Jul 2008, 10:15
So...I'm interested to know.....who is going to try out that theory.....!!!

Fretwanger
21st Jul 2008, 11:42
I would but I dont think it will get me very far...

EzyChic
21st Jul 2008, 13:38
Can you access my personality test and tell them I was tricked into those lies!?!

Told one of the guys at work today that it made me sound quiet and shy, thought he was gonna fly into a mountain he laughed so hard.

:-(

EzyChic
21st Jul 2008, 13:51
*wonders*

was that joke in bad taste?

lizplt
21st Jul 2008, 14:09
Ok so had first stage of testing today. First off would like to say how helpful this little thread has been!

I think there are a few changes to the format now, like they have D/S/T questions in the motivation part for the first stage of testing. I didn't see that mentioned before as part of stage 1.

However, I would LOVE to comment on the rest of the stage 1 tests, but the only other one I got to do was the checking test! This was due to the fact that they did not have enough exam papers for all the candidates so the group I was in was told that we couldn't do them!!!

Our options were either to wait and see if the papers arrived or we could leave there and then and what we had already done would be the only bit that got assessed and from that we would be told if we got to stage 2. If we had got to stage 2 we would have the priviledge (!) of doing the other two tests along with all the other stage 2 tests in Southampton. So of course 99% of people opted to stay but in the end they never arrived and we were all sent home feeling rather annoyed and lacking in two of the aptitude tests.

I don't know whether to feel pleased about this or not?! I'm still trying to figure out if it has actually worked in my favour.

Still...bit rubbish. Thought I'd just share my experience with everyone else.:bored:

AJ7
21st Jul 2008, 14:21
lizplt...

I'm not sure how they are going to assess candidates on the strength of the assessments you have done, i would suggest the other 2 tests are just as (if not more) important...

Also the people who run the Stage 1 events are not NATS people, we contract it to an outside company. I'd give HR a ring and see what they say about it, it may well be likely you get invited to another stage 1 day.

Either way best of luck :)

Adrian

swisseddie
21st Jul 2008, 14:22
Hi all,

Just a quick note to say I found out today I passed stage 3.

Well chuffed to say the least.

Good luck to everyone who was at stage 3 with me.

I have my fingers crossed for all of you.

Cheers.

Jon

Fretwanger
21st Jul 2008, 14:29
Congrats Eddie, nice to hear it!

Hope you knock the socks off the training!

sirinx
21st Jul 2008, 14:59
Hey all,

I think this is an early question, as my stage 1 still lies ahead (July 30, Manchester, soooo looking forward to it!), but I can't get it off my mind ...

At stage 2, besides the location indicators, do I actually have to know where those cities/airports are? Or is just the mere bijection "town name" - "four letters" (or two, really) sufficient?

My knowledge of UK geography is general at best ;-)
So just to know how much time should I put into it...

Thanks!

Gonzo
21st Jul 2008, 15:39
BW,

So...I'm interested to know.....who is going to try out that theory.....!!!

Stirrer!:p

Ezy,

Can you access my personality test and tell them I was tricked into those lies!?!

I wouldn't worry about it, my personality test made me out to be a calm, intelligent and not at all vindictive person....obviously a lie.:}

lizpit, I agree with AJ7, contact HR and advise them.

21st Jul 2008, 15:42
I wouldn't worry about it, my personality test made me out to be a calm, intelligent and not at all vindictive person....obviously a lie.

Hear hear :p

Norbas
21st Jul 2008, 17:54
Congrats Jon, glad it all worked out for you.

At least I know there is hope for us oldies after all :ok:

AJ7
21st Jul 2008, 18:21
Sirinx,

Its always good to have a background knowledge of where the various airports are, even just knowing that Bournemouth is in the south and Newcastle in the north would be good. Without sounding/being patronising though, stick with stage 1 first, you should have a reasonable amount of time between the stages to brush up on UK geography :ok:

nppatt
21st Jul 2008, 18:33
Phew. just done stage 1 testing today, and those folded cubes were hard!

Gonzo
21st Jul 2008, 22:16
1985, Don't think I didn't notice!!!:=

BookEm
22nd Jul 2008, 09:05
Sorry to barge into this thread but does Gonzo happen to know what the selection procedure is like for the recruitment for experienced controllers. I`ve got an interview tommorrow and hoping to get back to the premier league after a few years Sunday league. How are you Gonzo? I hear you`ve spent some time on `C`ool watch.

mr tommo
22nd Jul 2008, 10:05
Ive downloaded the practice questions for my tests in a months time.. However I just cannot get my hed around the Diagramming test with the commands...Can someone please help me see what im missing here?

lizplt
22nd Jul 2008, 10:36
Ok so I rung HR to find out what was going on. They said exactly the same as the psychology guys there did. If you didn't manage to do the other two tests (Spatial and Diagramming) then you will do them if you get to stage 2.

Hope this helps anyone else out there who's in the same position.

Gonzo
22nd Jul 2008, 15:19
Sorry Book Em, would love to help, but the experienced ATCO programme is something I've not been involved in at all.

Ivor_Novello
22nd Jul 2008, 18:37
Phew. just done stage 1 testing today, and those folded cubes were hard!

There's a rumour that a few months ago selection tests for one particular occasion were mixed up for some admin mistake and someone who should have failed (a rather thick candidate) went through.
The trainee went on to the college and by the time the mistake was spotted, he had nearly finished his training.
He was then allowed to complete his training (successfully) and has now recently been posted to a certain unit very far up north ;)

ZOOKER
22nd Jul 2008, 19:06
Which throws up some doubts on the selection process, doesn't it?

GavReal
22nd Jul 2008, 19:59
Just heard today I failed Stage 1.

Really gutted, as I felt reasonably good when I came out of the tests. Especially as I sat Cranwell tests for RAF Controller and passed them. I know different criteria but aptitude is aptitude is it not?!

Oh well, back to running pubs for another year! Not helped as I run pubs in Bournemouth including the one closest to the college!!

Good luck to all those in any stages!

To all those others that failed, here's to another years waiting!

GavReal

simfly
22nd Jul 2008, 22:55
The trainee went on to the college and by the time the mistake was spotted, he had nearly finished his training.
He was then allowed to complete his training (successfully) and has now recently been posted to a certain unit very far up north

Sorry IVOR, no mistake :mad: Let's talk about the one currently on aerodrome :rolleyes:

AJ7
22nd Jul 2008, 23:27
pretty sure that rumour is true, regardless of simfly's utterances to the contrary :E

also surprised at that situation lizplt... i wouldnt envy anyone doing spatial awareness tests AND the computer tests at stage 2... :ugh:

good luck :ok:

lizplt
23rd Jul 2008, 08:46
That was my thought too. A new level of creul!

But at least it would prove that I could handle high levels of stress ;)

oggy007
23rd Jul 2008, 12:34
ive just sat the first ability tests with nats last week, still waiting for my results. looking for opinions and advise for passing all stages and if i fail what will help me next time? replys much appreciated. thank you.

heretostay
23rd Jul 2008, 13:06
You may find using CAPITAL letters in the appropriate places might help.

Good luck.:ok:

lafouine
23rd Jul 2008, 13:14
Hi,

Just a small question.
My 1st stage tests are coming up soon (next Friday in Belfast)

In average, how many questions on cubes are there, and for how long?
Could someone answer me on the same questions for the diagramms tests and whatever tests there are?

Thanks for helping.

Chris

ZOOKER
23rd Jul 2008, 13:37
Will someone please tell us what 'Cubes' have got to do with Air Traffic Control?

Scooby Don't
23rd Jul 2008, 14:13
Now now, heretostay, or should that be HereToStay? :E:ok:

He/she also missed an apostrophe, misspelled "replies" and "advice" and used a comma where a semi-colon would have been more appropriate. Standards, dear boy, standards. :}