PDA

View Full Version : SOUTHEND - 2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

southender
27th Dec 2006, 12:40
Now that Flybe have pulled out, will anyone else be operating the Jersey flights this Summer?

Will Travelsmith have a charter programme in place again, or are we ending a tradition dating back some 60 years?

Having obseved some of last year's comings and goings, the passenger numbers seemed pretty good, so I would have thought there was still a market for the Channel Islands from Southend, particularly amongst the older generation, who are in abundance in SEN's catchment area.

Cheers
Southender

Continuation of: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225383&page=13

J-Guy
27th Dec 2006, 14:00
Now that Flybe have pulled out, will anyone else be operating the Jersey flights this Summer?

The Saturday flight to Jersey is available to book on the Flybe website and with a number of Jersey tour operators. The flight arrives in Southend at 14:40 and departs at 15:20, which is a similar schedule as last summer. I know Flybe has dropped Luton from Jersey but not Southend.

tilewood
28th Dec 2006, 19:01
According to just published stats. SEN received 72 diversions/planned movements on the 21st Dec.

This is noted as a record in the airport's history.

Well done and a credit to all the staff involved.

Expressflight
29th Dec 2006, 07:28
Tilwood

Do you know where a list of those movements is available? I would be very interested to see the details.

I echo your praise of the SEN staff - it's a pity other airfields such as BOH and MSE didn't seem prepared to rise to the challenge in the way the SEN people did.

tilewood
29th Dec 2006, 07:50
Expressflight,

I have sent you a private message, and yes the SEN staff did
well, I was there for part of the day. It was really something, and
even the terminal coped!!

Barnaby the Bear
7th Jan 2007, 20:24
Now that 2006 has been and gone.. How did 2006 at SEN compare with 2005?
Any news for 2007?
Manston seems to be the most talked.... squabbled about airport in the South East on the forum at the moment.
I notice from NOTAM's the runway is undergoing maintenance on the 11th-14th. . Maybe BRS should take a leaf out of SEN's books. :} :}

tilewood
7th Jan 2007, 21:58
Barnaby the Bear

I think SEN had quite a successful 2006. The maintainance companies all
seem to be operating at high capacity. The Ford's German services operated
by Flightline have worked very well, and the Jersey flybe schedule attracted
very high load factors, and is back on for 2007.

The airport's policy of promoting itself as a diversion airport seems to have
paid off, with 72 extra movements on one day just before Christmas when
London City and many other airports were fogged in.

There is also talk of a major fractional operator seeking hanger space, and possibly requiring a completely new hanger.

So things are happening.

Buster the Bear
8th Jan 2007, 06:22
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data_prov/200611/November_2006_Provisional_Airport_Statistics.pdf

Scroll down for the Southend stats.

Expressflight
8th Jan 2007, 07:35
RAL must be very disappointed that nothing positive has yet emerged from their efforts to establish meaningful scheduled services at SEN. In 2007 much will depend upon Flybe's decision as to whether or not to establish a hub at SEN, as there seem to be precious few other candidates in the frame.

It will be interesting to see whether RAL's discussions with the CAA concerning possible changes to the runway configuration have a positive outcome. Without any doubt the changes that are under consideration would greatly enhance SEN's potential for scheduled and charter pax services - particularly to southern European holiday destinations.

If the rumour concerning "a major fractional operator" proves true, the establishment of an execjet FBO at SEN would be another important step forward.

tilewood
8th Jan 2007, 14:01
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data_prov/200611/November_2006_Provisional_Airport_Statistics.pdf
Scroll down for the Southend stats.

Well a nearly 500% increase in pax numbers on the year can't be bad! Albeit
from a rather low base.

Must make SEN the fastest growing airport in the country!! :D

ProcATCO
9th Jan 2007, 18:38
Only if they can keep the controllers!!

To my personal knowledge, there are three Southend controllers in the process of leaving or have left recently!

The SATCO is in trouble with the Airport Owners it seems!

:sad:

tilewood
9th Jan 2007, 22:02
ProcATCO

I think that kind of post is neither welcome or helpful.

I am surprised that the moderators have not sought to remove a
post that involves individuals who obviously cannot respond!

It is also factually inaccurate.

Expressflight
10th Jan 2007, 14:44
I see from the NOTAMS that SEN is closed from 2200 today to 0630 tomorrow, quote 'AD CLSD. NO ATC SERVICES'.

Is this in connection with Barnaby's posting re runway maintenance or staff shortages?

approach24
11th Jan 2007, 21:02
The AD will be closed nightly 2200-0800 due Runway Maint. from 11th until 14th Jan. Overnight closure on 14th will be until 0630 on 15th. As pointed out by Expressflight, it was also closed overnight the 10th.

Are they re surfacing or installing the runway centre line lighting which they have talked about previously ?

Expressflight
15th Jan 2007, 15:47
I understand that the runway was being retextured (either by grooving or chip sealing I assume) to restore its characteristics to that of a friction-course asphalt runway, this meaning that even in normal precipitation the runway can still exhibit 'Dry' braking characteristics for performance purposes.

southender
17th Jan 2007, 12:23
Does anyone have details of yesterday's flight up North, i.e operator, aircraft and destination?

I'm sure whoever it was would appreciate the following comment from one of Southend F.C's players, which appeared in the Echo yesterday.

"Spending five hours or so on a coach does take it out of your legs so hopefully we will see the benefits, but the only problem is the little chartered flights we go on aren't the best.

It's a case of holding your breath for 45 minutes and then hoping you get off at the other end."

Anyway, they obviously made it there and back in their little chartered aircraft without any harm and obtained the right result in the middle.

Cheers

Southender

tommyc2005
17th Jan 2007, 12:54
Atlantic were operating yesterday to LBA. The club were selling seats to supporters and had 24 available according to the SUFC website that all sold out, so I guess they must have been offering the capacity unused by the team and staff. Good way to subsidise costs, they should do it more often!

Barnaby the Bear
18th Jan 2007, 15:59
Any diversions today due wx?

Expressflight
19th Jan 2007, 09:13
As far as I know, just a KLM F50 and a BACon RJ100 diverted to SEN yesterday.

airhumberside
8th Feb 2007, 11:12
Any diversions to SEN today with all the snow

Stanstedeye
8th Feb 2007, 14:11
Excel Coaches have been contracted in to serve 27 air-diverts into SEN.

frostbite
8th Feb 2007, 14:28
Odd thing is, I have been listening for most of day, and there has been no radio traffic whatsoever! Several aircraft movements, but not a word, and ATIS is "out of service".

Expressflight
8th Feb 2007, 15:18
I see that they also upgraded to RFF Category 6 for the day in anticipation of diversions.

Smart move.

southender
9th Feb 2007, 12:41
The Echo reports that a new task force to work on the future of Southend Airport has been set up between Southend Council and Rochford District Council to work together on a new joint policy for its development.

Some quotes from the Southend Councillor responsible for development

"I think it is important the two authorities will now be working together on plans for improving the airport and expanding its services"

"It is all about jobs and prosperity and this has been a long time coming"

"There will be disagreements between us but I welcome this as a positive step forward for Southend"

For the first time we are working together with Rochford to achieve a joint strategy on the airport"

Have we heard all this before, is the current strategy of the airport operators now out of the window and are we back to another period of indecision whilst the committee ponders once every month or quarter.

Would not expect any reports in the near future, bearing in mind Southend Council's track record. The pier is in worse condition now than when it burned down 30 years ago, the Seafront has still not been restored following the landslides of some years ago, Priory Park road widening has died a death, the High Steet and new bus station are disasters.... the list goes on.

Cheers, but with little optimism

Southender

frostbite
9th Feb 2007, 14:25
Not very encouraging, is it?

Let's just hope there's not lots of sub-committees too!

Expressflight
9th Feb 2007, 15:41
Actually this could be quite a useful move despite (and I should know) the shambolic way that Southend Council ran the airport for so many years. RAL have issued a Press Release on the SEN website welcoming the move and specifically pointing out that it will help in the realisation of the rail interchange. It has been Rochford District Council's objection to the car park being built on Green Belt land that has delayed this aspect of the airport's development, so perhaps agreement between the parties will now be forthcoming.

A seperate Press Release welcomes the arrival of Alastair Welch as SEN's new Managing Director. He is, apparently, ex BAA Stansted and at 39 years of age perhaps has the drive to push the agenda forward. Let's hope so.

Jamie-Southend
12th Feb 2007, 16:02
Here`s some local news from tonights local paper, the "Evening Echo"

Airport rapped for failure to take off
Southend Airport has been criticised for not actively attracting enough passenger flights.
Southend councillor Graham Longley claimed the airport was being run like an "MoT garage" as it is used as an aircraft servicing base.
Mr Longley (Lib Dem, Blenheim Park) tore into the airport's operators when its progress came up for discussion during a meeting of the council's environmental and economic scrutiny committee.
advertisement
http://ads-delivery1.newsquest.co.uk/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif (http://ads-delivery1.newsquest.co.uk/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.echo-news.co.uk/mostpopular.var.1186892.mostviewed.airport_rapped_for_failur e_to_take_off.php/429563490/Frame2/default/empty.gif/35363864646163373435616263383430)
Southend Council (http://www.southend.gov.uk/) and Rochford District Council (http://www.rochford.gov.uk/) are now looking to work more closely together to help promote the airport, which straddles both areas.
Mr Longley said the airport could have done more to attract passenger flights which would have boosted the local economy.
He said: "They operate the airport as an MoT garage. I don't believe they ever had a real interest in attracting passenger flights to the airport.
"I would like to see it take off. I think the operators live in cloud cuckoo land."
Town clerk Rob Tinlin said although it might seem not much was happening at the moment, there was a lot of activity going on behind the scenes.
He said: "It's a bit like a duck on the water. It might look like there is nothing happening, but there is a hell of a lot of paddling going on underneath."
Melvyn Day (Con, St Luke's) said: "I also feel some frustration about the lack of action at the airport. It has stagnated for many years. I haven't seen much movement. I would like to see this duck paddling its feet quicker and taking off."
Mark Flewitt (Con, St Laurence) said the council and the public should support the airport.
He said: "It should be an economic frontrunner for this town. Don't knock it when it tries to grow."
Council leader Murray Foster added: "It's one of the key employment areas for this town. I remain optimistic. I am aware the airport has received approaches from companies. They take time to evolve. They are commercially sensitive.
"I hope by 2010 we will see something in terms of increased activity."
Alistair Welch, managing director of Southend Airport, said: "We work very closely with the council in marketing the airport to new airlines.
"We would like to see a great offer of passenger flights. We are working very hard to achieve this.
"We are already working with a number of airlines who say they are interested in passenger flights from the airport."
Mr Welch said people shouldn't dismiss the importance of companies using the airport for maintenance.
He said: "Maintenance is a huge industry. We are one of the biggest employers in the area based on that alone."

New boss pledges a bright future Southend Airport has a new boss at the controls.
Alastair Welch joined the airport as managing director this month following the departure of Bruce Campbell, who has left to pursue other opportunities.
He comes from Stansted Airport, where he played a key role in its development.
Mr Welch's his first job will be to ensure the airport is on track to maximise opportunities from the 2012 London Olympics.
He said: "It's a great time to be joining Southend, as we enter a critical stage in our development.
"I have two challenges. The first is operating the current airport effectively and making it as good an experience as it can be for those who use the place.
"Most people don't realise how busy the airport is. It is one of the biggest maintenance centres in the country and supports a significant number of organisations.
"The second is, frankly, to see what we can do to develop the airport and the services it can offer over the months and years to give the local community the chance to fly to other places."
Mr Welch, 39, was trained initially as an engineer, but later turned his hand to accountancy.
His career started with small and medium-sized businesses, and he later moved into the field of aviation.
For the past 11 years, he has worked for BAA at Heathrow and Stansted, in the fields of terminal management and development. His last job there was general terminal manager.
The airport is seen by local authorities as a key element in encouraging people to invest in the area.
One of the airport's most immediate wishes is for a railway station with six services an hour to Liverpool Street.
Permission has been granted by Rochford District Council (http://www.rochford.gov.uk/), but the development is currently stalled because of wrangles over the proposed car park, which is on green belt land.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Comments anyone :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

frostbite
12th Feb 2007, 16:51
The engineering side must bring in lots of operators who would otherwise be unaware of the facilities on offer.

Typical blinkered Councillor.

Barnaby the Bear
13th Feb 2007, 12:09
Surely looking at the bigger picture, this is good for SEN. Everybody wants the same thing. At last people in the now joint council wants to push SEN forward and realise this asset.
The comments by some councillors may be ill educated as far as the aerodrome authority are concerned, but a good kick from all quarters maybe just the ticket.
Lets hope green belt and planning issues will be resolved more quickly in the future now that the council are being agressive towards airport development. :}

tilewood
13th Feb 2007, 15:46
It's just unfortunate that the very councillors who are fulminating about
the lack of airlines are the very same ones who voted against
the moving of the church by a few yards.

Thus stopping the airport being able to utilise the full runway length, and therefore making it less attractive to certain carriers.

Cause and effect, a bit beyond the thought processes of our elected
representatives obviously.

Expressflight
13th Feb 2007, 17:00
I agree entirely with B-the-B.

Apart from Councillor Longley (whose comments will surely be seen as ridiculous) all the other Councillors quoted were supportive of the airport and this, together with the establishment of the joint Southend/Rochford committee should mean that everyone is kicking towards the same goal.
Presure is likely to fall upon Rochford to reach agreement on the use of the Green Belt land (which RAL already own) for the railway station Parkway.

trainee_flyboy
19th Feb 2007, 12:30
Unfortunately with Southend there is an ever ending struggle. People on the one hand are complaining that there are no flights operated from the airport even when the airport operated the Jersey flight. But having worked at the airport I know first hand the second something anything bigger than a PA28 lands the poor staff on the end of the phone are barraged by phone calls virtually the entire OAP population of Rochford, Southend and goodness knows where else demanding that the flights into the airport be stopped because its waking up their cat from its midday nap. Then theres always been the sore point of the church which restricts the declared distances on the airfield.
Its a shame because the airport has a great deal of potential and I agree with previous posts the establishment of an airline operating there would help no end. Maybe then they could update the solitary two checkin desks that they have there...
Just my 2p's worth anyway

HZ123
20th Feb 2007, 07:26
They have updated the check-in area and have put new flooring in. I to agree with you dispite the eternal optimists. It will be interesting to see how the new airport GM (ex BAA STN) gets on as I cannot see who can possibly be prepared to fly from there until major changes are made to the terminal (as you state) and there is a proper commitment to a new terminal (not the fairy storys). As a S-o-S resident the council have little or no interest in the airport despite aimless press releases like that previously reported. Sadly even the flying clubs are no way near as active as they were a couple of years ago and I assume this down to costs and lately althouth there have been a number of cosmetic improvements the place looks deolate for the vast majority of the time. I hope I am proved wrong.

Expressflight
20th Feb 2007, 08:24
For once I agree with HZ123 and the dithering over the terminal situation has to stop.
With the delays which the station parkway has encountered coutesy of Rochford Council, they should have gone ahead this winter with the extension/refurbishment of the existing terminal so that they were in a position now to welcome any incoming airline with an acceptable facility. That would give them a breathing space to decide whether or not pax traffic was likely to justify the construction costs of the new terminal/station.
I believe that Alastair Welch was terminal manager at STN so I assume he has definite ideas on the subject. One would assume that he was given certain assurances by RAL with regard to investment etc. so perhaps we shall now see some progress. Mind you, for how long have we been saying that?

trainee_flyboy
20th Feb 2007, 09:02
Well looking at the airport again today I can see numerous diversions from LCY, the kind of days when the staff at the airport shine time after time, its just makes you wonder is SEN for the short time destined to be a good alternate when LCY STN and LTN are fogged out and little more?

Expressflight
20th Feb 2007, 09:56
Runway blocked earlier this morning at LCY apparently - nothing serious, just burst tyres reportedly.

I think the answer to your question is probably "yes", but with the diversions mainly being from LCY rather than STN or LTN due to the limiting runway length at SEN.

AlanM
20th Feb 2007, 10:42
Normally the diversion airfield is chosen because of engineering support.

Generally, BRT and SWR go to STN and KLM to LHR. VLM prob go for SEN as they ned little support... and is cheaper and less of a delay.

Expressflight
20th Feb 2007, 11:20
I thought SEN was KLM's preferred LCY alternate.
I can't see there is any shortage of engineering support for BRT's 146/RJs at SEN either. It'll be interesting to see what turned up today.

Expressflight
20th Feb 2007, 11:54
I see from the Notams that Twy B is closed due to parked aircraft until later today, so I think we can assume that a fair number of diversions were received from LCY today.

frostbite
20th Feb 2007, 14:35
From noises overhead, I would say a lot have come in today - not one of them visible to me though, blast it!

Expressflight
26th Feb 2007, 07:23
Reference AlanM's thoughts last week on LCY preferred alternates, BRT and KLM both chose SEN last Tuesday, with BRT transferring its operation to SEN for the duration. SAY,ADH and VLM (as expected) also did the same.

In all, LCY carriers operated 38 sectors through SEN during the closure period.

HZ123
26th Feb 2007, 09:59
At SEN terminal some of you may have picked up the Southend renaissance glossey mag. It cast some light on our recent comments on the airport. Within the regeneration timeline section it refers to'Scope demands,needs and growth potential' to be completed by the end of 2007. It then goes on to 'procure new infrastructure 2008 -2009. Once again this somewhat contradicts that which was recently mentioned under the councils new proposed plans. If as might be deduced that little if anything is going to occur until 2009 then what hope is there for the airport. It finally quotes 1 millin pax by 2016, if that is all then i cannot see who is going to invest monies for such a small return and there is no mention of the 'games' Even the picture at the front of the pubilcation shows an old 707 that left there about 10 years ago. The only plus is the development of an aviation business park which is'already well established', assume that is Argos and PC World. Once again not very positive reading. Finally the council is aking for a 5% increase in CTax and with budgets tight the airport may dissapear of the list all together.

Expressflight
26th Feb 2007, 16:13
The reference to the 'aviation business park' is actually the Aviation Way area where IPECO etc. are based. It does not mean the retail park adjacent to the airport main entrance.
The Olympics is mentioned, with SEN being stated to be convenient for access to the games site.
As far as the infrastructure timatable is concerned, it's fairly obvious that nothing substantial could be built and operational before 2009.
I do agree that much valuable time has been lost in the past couple of years of dithering, but nothing in the brochure contradicts the present situation nor Southend Council's current positive policy towards the airport.
All is not yet lost.

tilewood
28th Feb 2007, 17:57
So there is a Reagan Airport, a John Wayne Airport, a John Lennon
International.

Helen Mirren International anyone?!! After all she did grow up in Sarfend! ;)

Couldn't wait to get away from it though apparently.

Jamie-Southend
28th Feb 2007, 18:05
Name the Airport after her, and re-name a bank holiday after her....its all too much.:}

frostbite
28th Feb 2007, 19:49
Peggy Mount grew up in Southend as well !

Have to name something of significant size after her.

Jamie-Southend
24th Mar 2007, 21:51
For those interested SEN had an emergency this afternoon, which thankfully ended without any casualties, with a Super Kingair suffering a nosewheel collapse.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/Jamie-Southend/h_760IMG_1103.jpg

Picture - Essex Fire & Rescue

GBALU53
24th Mar 2007, 22:21
Good to see the RFFS are on the case.

frostbite
25th Mar 2007, 14:27
A little bit more 'excitement' today.

First, 06 was obstructed, I believe it was a flock of birds that took some time to clear, then a light aircraft reported smoke in the cockpit, so there was another obstruction while the cause was dealt with.

Hopefully, that's the 'threes' things come in, and all will proceed normally for the rest of the year.

timzsta
26th Mar 2007, 19:41
Done a fine job the King Air crew there.

Not really their day was it? First nose gear collapses, then the ice creams melt.

trainee_flyboy
1st Apr 2007, 12:23
Never a dull day at Sarfend eh?! :p

Out of curiosity anyone heard whats happened with the 146 that Ford were supposed to be buying to operate the shuttle to Cologne, last I head it had failed its CofA??

frostbite
28th Apr 2007, 17:14
... on 06 this afternoon, leaving a lot of traffic holding around the area while it was cleaned up.

Anyone know anything?

Expressflight
1st Jun 2007, 08:14
The local paper reports that Ramada plan to build a 4-Star hotel at SEN, to be located within 100 yards of the existing terminal, immediately adjacent to the airport main entrance. The site is currently one of the old car parks.
That would certainly be a useful addition to SEN's infrastructure.

tilewood
1st Jun 2007, 11:54
Yes the announcement that a Ramada Hotel is going to be on airport at
SEN is good news.

It also came just a day after the government go-ahead for the £1.5bn
Thames Gateway Dock development just a few miles upriver from SEN.

The docks and industrial site will include new road and rail connections
and employ 14,000 people.

SEN can only benefit from a such a vast complex on it's doorstep.

Expressflight
7th Jun 2007, 12:39
Further good news for SEN.

The new MD, Alastair Welch, seems to be making his presence felt if his plans as outlined in the Evening Echo come to fruition.

Work is expected to begin shortly on the airport railway station, as discussions with Network Rail are at "an advanced stage", with a planned opening date of Spring 2009. AW is quoted as saying that the station is a vital element of SEN's development and that is has proven very difficult to attract new airlines without that facility.

The existing terminal will be "revamped" with additional facilities and this work will be completed by Summer 2008.

Negotiations with the CAA for the construction of a new control tower are also reportedly "nearly complete" and he indicates that he hoped construction would be completed by Spring 2009.

The Ramada airport hotel is expected to be completed and open by Christmas 2008.

Also, for the first time to my knowledge, he spoke of a possible runway extension without the need for the removal of Eastwoodbury Church and that this will be investigated through the new joint partnership of RAL, Southend Council and Rochford District Council.

All in all the most promising statements that have been made for a long time with some definite timescales stated and it does seem that RAL are prepared to finance the real improvements needed. As ever of course, time will tell.

HZ123
8th Jun 2007, 11:03
Sorry to be my usual pessimistic self but there is nothing stated thereon that has not been stated before. The church issue has all been reviewed before without resolution and the costs to move it would run into millions. I find the suggestion laughable that anything will be changed or built by 2008 and this is contradictory to the proposed extension of the B52 club and renewed lease on that building and area. Once again I hope to be proved wrong. Finally, if and when this occurs I fail to see what mark or type of aircrafts will be able to operate into the EU and compete against the aircrafts serving LTN & STN.

Buster the Bear
8th Jun 2007, 11:16
Having a railway station on site will only enhance Southend's ability to attract new business. The Parkway station completed in the late 1990's at Luton, now forms an integral part of the airports infrastructure, albeit a bus ride away.

With HM Govt banging on about the use of public transport, having a station at the airport would be a significant milestone. Add to the equation a quality hotel, then Southend looks well placed to handle expansion.

Southampton does quite nicely with a short runway, an airport I am sure Southend would wish to emulate?

Expressflight
8th Jun 2007, 11:43
HZ123

Well, there's pessimism and there's rubbishing good news just as a matter of principal and fear that your comments fall into the latter category.

If you read what I wrote regarding the possibility of a runway extension, Alastair Welch said "without the need for the removal of Eastwoodbury Church". Of course, whether or not that is feasible is the whole reason for investigating the possibilities but the benefits could be substantial.

As far as the B52 club extension is concerned, I'm afraid you have the advantage of me there - where exactly is it located and which of the four developments would it compromise?

What type of aircraft will use SEN? Where were you when LCY was closed for the day earlier this year? Any type that uses LCY, plus nearly all of those that currently use SOU, (both airports which I'm sure you agree support a huge network of routes) can operate effectively from SEN. I would agree that SEN may not be many airlines first choice as a London destination, but the slot availability situation at LCY, STN and LTN is hardly likely to improve in the next few years so that is SEN's opportunity to make its mark and the rail station is a big step in that direction.

Flybe still express an interest in a route network out of SEN, as does another substantial scheduled operator (albeit with less firm plans), and both have large fleets of a type which would be unrestricted out of SEN.

I did end my posting with the caveat "As ever, of course, time will tell", but in Alastair Welch I think they have an MD who is not a kite-flier and who would not make such statements unless he firmly believes that he can deliver.

southender
8th Jun 2007, 12:41
I was going to post the same comments as you (we must both take the Echo) and agree entirely with you reply to HZ123's remarks.

There have been a number of adverse comments in the paper recently about both the airshow and airport, so an upbeat report from the Airports's MD is intersting, to say the least.

The B52 club is situated on the eastern boundary, alongside the flying clubs and is an american diner type establishment with 50's style decor. For my sins I have been a member from day 1 (being very vaguely connected to one of the founders) but must admit to only having been inside once. It does look to me as if will be right where the new terminal will be built.

If I recall, when the airport's expansion plans were first announced, there was going to be a visitors centre included, but this looks as it it would be where the new hotel is to be built, so presumably this has now been dropped.

Cheers

Southender

Expressflight
8th Jun 2007, 14:27
Looking at the general plans for the new terminal, the building itself would not affect any existing building as it would be located between the existing Eastern Perimeter road and Twy A, on what is currently grass. However, it looks as if the new terminal is very much on the back burner now anyway.

As far as the train station is concerned, that seems to be located immediately North of the existing ADS Aerial/Corporation hangar (sorry, showing my age there) so should not impinge on the flying club areas unless the B52 club is tight up against the railway (to where the platform might extend)at the very southernmost part of the flying club buildings.

No doubt detailed plans will be forthcoming at some point.

Red Four
8th Jun 2007, 14:33
It's a difficult one isn't it -:rolleyes:
Tatty airfield bar, or new terminal with rail link?
Spotters paradise, I mean visitor centre, or 4 star hotel?

Expressflight
8th Jun 2007, 16:51
If you had known SEN as long as I have, nothing would surprise you. Not even the lease on a bar standing in the way of the airport entering the 21st century. :}

Expressflight
25th Jul 2007, 05:55
I see from the NOTAMS that WIP is taking place all this week at the SW end of 24, with reduced declared distances of 240m for the duration.

Anyone know what this work entails?

Also, Flybe will not be launching "major operations" at SEN until the proposed changes to the runway produce increased declared distances - presumably to allow operation of the E195. However, they may increase their SEN presence slightly next year.

Expressflight
10th Sep 2007, 10:42
In a French magazine article the Le Touquet airport director is quoted as saying that "a scheduled service to Southend is due to start in 2008".

Any ideas who the operator might be?

HZ123
11th Sep 2007, 23:47
No and why would anyone want to fly there anyway. SEN is its usual sleepy self though there has been an increase in Netjets movements. Rumours of a business jet hangar and / or Fords taking a hangar seem to be nothing more than that.

Expressflight
12th Sep 2007, 07:48
HZ123

Glad to see that the poor summer weather has done nothing to dull your pessimism.

The French view of a Le Touquet-Southend route is that it will provide access to London, which they apparently feel the existing Lydd and Shoreham/Brighton services do not, and will be especially useful for the 2012 Olympics.

There is definite substance in these reports and I only hope that something larger than a Chieftain can be anticipated to give the route some credibility and flexibility.

As far as your scepticism on the 'business jet hangar' is concerned are you aware that an RAL ad. appeared in Flight last week asking for proposals from existing FBOs to set up a base at SEN?

approach24
26th Sep 2007, 15:57
A company called Flywatch is behind the proposed services to Le Touquet, Calais, Ostend and possibly Paris, due to start from SEN next year. Maybe not quite what was hoped for, but I guess it's a start.

niknak
26th Sep 2007, 22:53
and all in a PA31!:rolleyes:

This is pie in the sky world................:hmm:

frostbite
3rd Oct 2007, 21:32
Not impressed with Flywatch.

Emailed them a week ago (obo friends) enquiring about 7 day returns to Le Touquet.

No response.

That's at least 6x6 potential trips they've lost.

22/04
3rd Oct 2007, 23:30
Shades of the past here- routes have been operated by BAF/BUAF/Channel Air Bridge in the days of car ferries. Can't believe they'de be real runners today.

Can't see why SEN-DUB,EDI,GLA,BCN wouldn't work; isn't SEN quite like SOU

King Pong
4th Oct 2007, 05:38
isn't SEN quite like SOU

Yes but without the class

Jamie-Southend
4th Oct 2007, 08:58
I emailed them on a nother matter last week and got a response within a few hours, maybe give them another try ?

HZ123
4th Oct 2007, 16:47
In other words it is nothing whatsoever like SOU nor ever likely to be.

Barnaby the Bear
5th Oct 2007, 17:51
HZ123 as optimistic as ever. :rolleyes:
Cross rail now been given the go ahead. Yep its 10 years in the making. But it represents another potential boost for SEN surely.
If, or should we say when the new station is built on the very same line that connects direct to Liverpool Street and to Shenfield. Then connects to Cross rail, which in turn connects to Heathrow and vice versa.
This also represents a potential boost to the Thames Gateway which will benefit as a result from increased demand in housing, and therefore regeneration along the Gateway and potentially more demand for SEN in the future.
I only write this as it has been written on other threads about other aiports in the SE also looking forward, who crave and talk about plans for a descent infrastucture to and from the airport.
Well a good rail link for the airport is already in the making at Southend. A better rail link across the London is also in the making. :}

Jes
5th Oct 2007, 19:28
All very interesting, but there are whispers that 3 companies based at Southend are looking seriously at moving to Manston.

Expressflight
6th Oct 2007, 06:50
And those three companies would be.......?

Barnaby the Bear
6th Oct 2007, 07:44
I can't honestly believe that a whisper like that hasn't reached the Manston thread!!!!! :}:}
It can't be B52's bar. Too far for their regulars to drive! Mcdonalds and Carpet Right aren't part of the airport. :E:E:}

HZ123
6th Oct 2007, 10:14
On a brighter note were it to be ATC or Flightline then the space for 2000 houses could be provided on the redundant airfield. Let us hope it is not the former as that would be dire.

approach24
6th Oct 2007, 11:20
Sorry to disappoint you HZ123, but if you read the mins of the consultative committee on the official website, ATC Lasham recently signed a 10 year lease on their hangers at SEN. Hardly likely to do that if they were thinking of moving elsewhere.

Expressflight
6th Oct 2007, 13:33
HZ 123

Can you really imagine Flightline moving from an H24 airfield to one which does not permit (under its existing agreement with Thanet Council) night operations?

All this just goes to show that it only needs someone to give credence (thank you Jes) to some 'whisper' or other - which might or might not even exist - for a gloom-monger to emerge wringing his hands at the possible consequences with barely suppressed glee.

I know this so-called rumour didn't appear on the MSE thread, but it is typical of the unsubstantiated rubbish which appears there. Recently it has been confidently predicted there that Easyjet, Ryanair with 2 based aircraft, and BA Cargo will be the next 'big thing' for MSE. Quite why nobody at MSE seems to bother to dig a little deeper to check-out the veracity of these rumours I don't know. Perhaps because the true situation would be rather more dull.

Expressflight
11th Oct 2007, 11:33
Southend Council yesterday gave planning consent for the Ramada airport hotel.

Hopefully(!) this should now go ahead as it should be a money-spinner for the airport given the current lack of good hotels in the Southend area.

Next step is to sort out the planning consent for the rail station, which as it stands is linked to the building of the new terminal. Rochford District Council is expecting to receive a planning application shortly from SEN to decouple the two things allowing the station to be built and to open before the new terminal.

Expressflight
15th Oct 2007, 16:10
Flywatch have amended their plans for serving Paris from SEN.

They are now offering SEN-LTQ-SEN daily except Tuesday and Thursday from March 2008 with a rail connection to Gare du Nord, Paris via Etaples railway station.

The idea of operating into Pontoise (POX) has apparently been dropped in favour of the Rail/Air connection to Paris.

Reminds me of the old Silver Arrow days.

Toxic Thrust
3rd Nov 2007, 17:58
Yes Expressflight its nice to see a quality hotel at last for the Southend area. Southend really does deserve something more upmarket than the Roslin Hotel, The Westcliff Hotel and the other little establishments. Whats that one that reminds me of Fawlty Towers. Oh yes its The Tower Hotel :)

How about some passenger flights and it might get put to even more use?

ColinH
4th Nov 2007, 10:26
Air Livery have announced on their web-site that they have bought Sprayavia, whose main facility is at NWI. Sprayavia's business will be absorbed into Air Livery's in 3-6 months time.

As a NWI-based spotter, what type of business will be sent there. Sprayavia at NWI can take aircraft up to Boeing 757-300 size but there have been rumours that they would like to build a wide-body hangar at NWI.

Regards.

Colin

HZ123
5th Nov 2007, 09:32
Thats the maximum aircraft type taken at SEN, However there is a lot of messing about at SEN when the 757 lands as dependant on runway landing at one end they have to be towed, so expect to see all the 757 work at NWI is a possibility.

Expressflight
27th Nov 2007, 09:47
Flybe will be operating a Wednesday SEN-JER service, in addition to the usual Saturday service, commencing 3 May 2008.
A small set forward, but certainly good news for SEN.

HZ123
27th Nov 2007, 10:51
There is also a new motif for the airport with it writ large outside the terminal incorporating the three scimitars in the Essex crest. Work is inderway on the new carpark and the cafe is due to be refurbished next week. For once I share Expressflights optimism (it wont last).

southender
27th Nov 2007, 12:44
Excellent news.

I've long thought that a midweek flight was necessary to give a much better flexibilty to Jersey holidays.

I feel a short break coming on!

Cheers

Southender

james170969
28th Nov 2007, 19:17
Flywatch is to begin scheduled flights from London Southend Airport to Le Touquet and Calais in France, and Bruges/Ostend in Belgium next year.

From March 1, flights from London Southend to the elegant resort of Le Touquet will operate seven times per week, on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays (three flights) and Sundays. Fares will cost from £180 return (including taxes).

From April 1, the airline will begin flights from the airport to Ostend/Bruges, on Saturdays. Tickets begin at £200 plus taxes and charges. Bruges is a World Heritage Site and is regarded as one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.

During July and August, the airline will operate weekly flights to Calais (on Saturdays). Flights begin at £160 return, including extras.

These services will be operated by twin-engine Piper Navajo aircraft, which offer up to seven passengers "executive-style comfort at an affordable price".

Jamie-Southend
29th Nov 2007, 17:04
I noticed outside a couple of newsagents in the town earlier this week, the local paper - Evening Echo, bill board headlines, mentioned something along the lines of "Airport Runway Extension", does anyone know anymore ?

I have had a quick look through the Echos website but cannot see anything, either that or i was having a bad day.:bored:

approach24
29th Nov 2007, 18:27
You're quite right, there was a front page article in the Echo earlier this week explaining that unless the runway is extended from the current 1.4 kilometres to at least 1.8, the introduction of holiday flights will not be possible. Also talked to A. Welch who just confirmed that options were being considered as part of the JAAP which is currently being put together by Rochford/Southend councils. Don't understand why it's not on the Echo website.

HZ123
29th Nov 2007, 20:33
This is like groundhog day. SEN as a proper airport with a future just goes around and around in circles. Most people that use SEN and are familiar with it have known for 20 years (a conservative guess) that the runway is not long enough, nor wide enough add to all this the lack of space to expand and once again the airport is dead in the water. Give it another 20 years and it will provide space for 2000 plus dwellings which will be met by enthusiasm by both councils.

BIZZYBOY
29th Nov 2007, 21:26
Any news updates yet about the potential new FBO owners??

Red Four
29th Nov 2007, 21:34
Nice to have your professional input HZ123, you are obviously well versed in what is going on :rolleyes:.
I see the optimism of your 27th November post HAS evaporated - how well you know yourself!

Buster the Bear
29th Nov 2007, 22:14
How do FlyWatch expect to find any passengers as they charging a minimum of £180-£200 for a 30-40 min return flight? I appreciate that the cost of oil has increased, but I could book myself a weekend away inc car park and hotel for this amount to a lot more exciting destinations from Stansted.

Le Touquet is quaint, Ostend is....not quite so. What is the fascination with the old Carvair routes?

Flying low level below 10,000ft is also 'bumpy'!

With a Southampton style terminal adjacent to the railway line, Southend can find its niche hopefully?

james170969
29th Nov 2007, 22:27
If I lived in the Southend area and wanted to go to Ostend or Calais with family or friends I think I'd definately drive to Dover or Ramsgate and catch the ferry or go through the tunnel rather than pay £200 each! However, I'd fly from Glasgow or Prestwick to Ostend if it was possible as I go there several times per year. The chanced of being able to fly from Glasgow or Prestwick to Ostend are nil and anyway, I still wouldn't pay Flywatch fares!

Jamie-Southend
30th Nov 2007, 18:10
Yes but at least you get the option of front seat in the Navajo ! Can`t do that on Easy flight from STN :eek:

Expressflight
1st Dec 2007, 08:12
The problem Flywatch have is that they are trying to offer a competitive SEN-LTQ fare on a 6-seater Navajo and the ecomomics just don't add up unfortunately.
They would probably do better to cost the operation on the basis of the 9-seater Chieftain which they say they are planning to acquire for the route. Having 50% greater capacity they could offer a slightly lower basic fare but, more importantly, they could also offer promotional fares for part of the capacity - much as Skysouth and Lyddair already do. That would obviously mean operating initially close to breakeven at best with the Navajo, but it would be the best way of establishing whether or not the route is viable over the long run. They also need to have an online booking facility as soon as possible as, these days, customers don't expect to have to telephone an airline to make a booking.

Expressflight
4th Dec 2007, 07:25
The Freight Dogs forum suggests that Andy Janes' (ex Emerald) new freight operation, apparently planned for early 2008, will be SEN based.
Has anyone local heard about this?

757 Speedbrakes
5th Dec 2007, 17:11
Hi Guy's,

Heard a few rumors that a 767 might be in the 'spray-shop' to be fitted out and painted into Jet2 colours??

Any truth in the rumor................

Appologies if I'm on the wrong forum!!

lukeylad
5th Dec 2007, 17:14
I think theres a new Jet2 757 there getting painted at the moment. Purchased from TUI Nordic i think.

Expressflight
11th Dec 2007, 09:44
Just an update on a few things:

The planning application to build the rail station before the new terminal was lodged with RDC in late November. Another application has been made for permission to remove the existing boundary fence and some greenhouses which currently infringe the Runway Strip Width adjacent to the 06 threshold.

The terminal refurbishment continues with the coffee shop area receiving attention last week and work on the the landside toilet area having started yesterday. The resiting of the check-in area etc. will start in the New Year with the whole refurbishment scheduled for completion by Easter.

There is the possibility of an small additional series of flights taking place next summer (presumably charters?), but details will not be announced until well into the New Year. No idea of destination or the carrier involved.

frostbite
22nd Dec 2007, 12:27
Someone's started their celebrations early.

ATIS offering "Runway in use 29." !

Jamie-Southend
22nd Dec 2007, 13:17
Does that mean the problem of the Church has been solved ? :oh:

Expressflight
15th Jan 2008, 13:05
The CAA has issued a Class B licence to Flywatch, effective 11 January 2008, thus clearing the way for them to commence their SEN-LTQ schedule on 1 March 2008.

frostbite
20th Jan 2008, 15:18
For anyone who is interested....

ATIS appears to have been relocated to 136.050 and is now a ponderous automated system.

They've only done it to annoy me, because the scanner in my kitchen works in blocks of frequencies - the airband one ending at 136.0 !

boredcounter
20th Jan 2008, 18:02
Please do not think I am being cynical in any way, SEN is a great airport, started me off in 88, as did the PA31 as we had 3 amonst other types. LTQ is beautiful, worked for an airline that served it out of LYX for two years after SEN. The London-Paris airbridge with coaches/trains at either end......been there at LYX too.

All great ideas, but died a death now IMHO.

2 x Adult via Flywatch GBP400.00 (return) all bar the shouting and on the Continent in about 2:00 mins from leaving the house, in say Benfleet?

Call it 8:00 return trip by road and Sealink (Sorry worked for them too) and GBP200:00 and GBP200:00 to spend on plonk, lunch and smokes all duty paid.

As Flywatch are not heading to 'business' destinations, personal time saved will not equate to higher costs.

As with all airlines, the car will carry a dozen cases of plonk/beer per couple where as the aircraft (especially a PA31) will not and if it could, excess baggage would almost certainly apply.

Hope Flywatch do find a niche in the market, develope and grow, but alas I cannot honestly see it myself, which I think is a great shame. despite having a self declared soft spot for SEN and LTQ, I hope Flywatch have other contracts or interests that will 'subsidise' this venture.

(Alas, I have chartered pistons before, true to my roots so to speak, for AOG runs with spares only. Paid good money for the service, only to find they had to position at own cost to an airfield where 100LL was available to get home:ugh:)

Good luck to all involved, hope you can make it work, hope you can make it thrive at good old EGMC as it one or twice did in the past.................

Expressflight
28th Jan 2008, 11:49
RAL have announced that, following expressions of interest, they are inviting offers for the purchase of LSACL in either its entirety or a majority stake.

The current development plans call for some £35 million of investment and obviously RAL would find some difficulty raising this, having a relatively low asset valuation themselves. No doubt they also see it as a good opportunity to realise a substantial gain on their investemt to date.

Full details are on the SEN website in the form of a Press Release.

Now, who are the bidders likely to be?

Avioactive
28th Jan 2008, 16:27
Great news about the rail station approval, should make a huge difference to the viability long term. However, with a landing distance available of just 1285m on runway 06, until that runway extension is absalutely guaranteed and in the bag, you wouldn't get your cheque book out just yet. There's not a lot commercially that will get in there today when the wind's the wrong way.

Jamie-Southend
28th Jan 2008, 18:02
Great news indeed just have to wait for the JCB`s to move in now.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/Jamie-Southend/6989_1.jpg

:}

Expressflight
29th Jan 2008, 07:00
Avioactive

It's a bit sweeping to say "there's not a lot commercially that will get in ...." on a runway with an LDA of only 1285m.
After all, LCY doesn't seem to do badly with LDAs of 1319m on both runways.

I take the point though that additional distances are highly desirable and I'm reliably informed that the CAA have approved the plan for a 200m extension without the need to move Eastwoodbury church. RAL probably wanted that approval in the bag before inviting offers for the business.

The Press Release makes specific mention that the proposed extension will permit the commercial operation of types such as the A319 and E195, so I should imagine any prospective buyer will have budgeted for a runway extension before throwing his hat into the ring.

HZ123
29th Jan 2008, 12:26
Happy New Year to all. This probably is one of the last nails in the coffin. At 35 millions even if that were to be the cost of the airfield it is snip for housing development. A more cynical person than me might think that housing was the plan all along. With the best will in the world I cannot see who would come along and pay these sorts of monies with very little business potential. As I have said before the people of SEN and I am also a council tax payer there seem to have little interest in seeing the airport developed when they have an international airport 60 minutes away. I hope I am proved to be wrong once again. In 7 years that I have had an interest here it has continued to go downhill.

panjandrum
29th Jan 2008, 13:21
HZ123 -Intrigued how you think it has gone downhill in 7 years, care to give some details?

Expressflight
29th Jan 2008, 15:23
HZ123

I'm sorry, but you are just way off beam there.

This is the best thing that has happened to SEN since its redevelopment plans were announced 4 or 5 years ago. The programme for which planning consents have been granted is among the most ambitious planned for any UK airport for many years and it needs the financial muscle which RAL have always lacked to make them reality.

The very fact that all that is needed is the finance and project management skills to see those plans to fruition is what has attracted the attention of several (and it is several) big names and one of those will be the owner of SEN by early this Summer. They can see the potential that these developments will realise in terms of the growth of SEN, which you seem unable to accept.

Avioactive
29th Jan 2008, 17:07
LCY I guess is a good benchmark as to the field performance of what can land at Southend today (in particular on RWY 06) - the only difference is that they're all doing a 5 degree steep approach which I assume actually reduces the landing roll by some margin. If you were comming in at 3 degrees (i.e. normal approach), I suspect a lot of the LCY aircraft types may have to have lower payloads to get into just 1285m at Southend? Not sure about that one?

Although the extra 200m runway may have the support in principle by the local authorities (and the majority of the local community for that matter), when it comes to the crunch and the're an election in the wind, politics can play all sorts of tricks when the lobbyists get their knives into local councils - it's not 'in the bag' until the JCBs are on site! Planning concent is everything - unless I've read that wrong and the planning concent is indeed in place already for the 200m - if so forget all the above and I'll shut-up!

HZ123
29th Jan 2008, 20:39
Avioactive

At last the voice of reason. If Expressfight knows who the rumoured interested parties are tendering to purchase why doesnt he say. Is it Mowlems ?

SENFLYER
29th Jan 2008, 21:25
From what I understand - Renaissance Southend (i.e southend and Rochford councils), the CAA and the Thames Gateway people have all given the nod for a 200-250 metre extension of the runway but it still has to go before the planners and that could be the stumbling block although I hope not. :ugh:

SENFLYER
29th Jan 2008, 21:29
I saw someone ask about a 767 in paint for jet 2..... SEDUP a Tui Nordic 757-200 is in bay 2 at ATC and currently has a sore backside which is delaying its lease handover to Jet 2. :8

SENFLYER
29th Jan 2008, 21:40
I hope that if SEN does ever come under threat from the house builders (although I think that is very unlikely, its just something that people who are waiting for god have appeared to latch on to) that we can count on your support to keep it open. The airport does a lot for the town and its people, it certainly pays my bills.. SEN is no pushover.:ok:

Expressflight
30th Jan 2008, 07:18
HZ123

I assume that if you are given information on a confidential basis you don't shout it from the rooftops on a forum such as this. So, no, I won't be naming names.

Avioactive

You make a couple of valid points there.

As far as I know the 146 is granted a 'credit' of some 100m on its landing distance calculation at LCY, with its 5° glidepath compared to the 3.5° at SEN. Probably other types also benefit from this so, I agree, LCY and SEN LDAs cannot be compared directly.

As far as planning consent for any runway extension is concerned, potential purchasers will have to make their own judgement on its achievability. I cannot recall a time, however, when all parties were so supportive of SEN and there does seem to be a certain momentum behind the planned developments at present. Of course there can be many a slip between now and any planning application being lodged next Spring say.

In a worst case scenario there is always the possibility is just diverting Eastwoodbury Lane without any actual extension to the runway at all. That should give an increase of around 175m on LDA for 06, plus an considerable increase in TODA for 24 through elimination of the approach and initial climb obstacles respectively.

Certainly the next few months will prove interesting.

Expressflight
8th Feb 2008, 07:42
According to reports in the Irish press, Howard Holdings are considering making a bid for the purchase of SEN.

Presumably this would be in conjunction with Convergence-AFCO, with the operating company being CIAO (Convergence International Airports Organisation), as is the case at Coventry.

Howard Holdings boast an investment and property portfolio worth 3 billion Euros and this combination of a major property developer and an airport management company could make them an ideal suitor for SEN.

frostbite
8th Feb 2008, 14:23
Since the airport is leasehold, I wonder what the remaining lease length is?

Expressflight
8th Feb 2008, 14:48
The lease has 136 years to run - yes, one hundred and thirty six! - so there will not be the type of problem which is being experienced by the owners of LTN at present.

frostbite
9th Feb 2008, 11:46
Thanks for that. That is some lease!

Certainly not a hindrance to the proposed sale.

SEN SPY
10th Mar 2008, 14:21
i have heard from the grape vine a certain Kent airport owner has put a bid in?

Expressflight
11th Mar 2008, 07:41
I believe all bids have to be in by the middle of this month with a sale completion date of early June being the aim.

The relocation of the check-in area starts in the next week or so, for completion during May, with an extension of the airside departure area to the west providing an additional gate.

HS-125
11th Mar 2008, 18:39
i have heard from the grape vine a certain Kent airport owner has put a bid in?

God, I hope not, they can barely keep that airport open!

Jes
16th Mar 2008, 10:05
By Mark Leftly
Sunday, 16 March 2008

London City airport has made a surprise bid in the £100m auction of rival Southend airport.

The sale is taking place amid a civil war in the aviation industry, with airlines, unions and politicians fighting over whether the airport holdings of the market-leading operator BAA should be broken up.

City's bid was unexpected, as its management had thought the airport's core business passenger base would not want to go to Southend in Essex.

However, Richard Gooding, City airport's chief executive, said: "There is a shortage of airports in the South-east, and Southend therefore presents an opportunity."

A source close to Regional Airports, Southend's owner, insisted that City was one of the more logical suitors, given that the two airports are within an hour's train journey of each other. City has been backed by its owners, AIG, the insurance giant, and Global Infrastructure Partners, a joint venture between GE Infrastructure and Credit Suisse.

More than 40 parties were sent information memorandums on Southend last month. Dawnay Day, the owner of Oxford airport; Cognetas, the private equity group; and Macquarie, the Australian bank, are all thought to be interested.

Regional Airports is expected to reinvest at least £35m from the sale into upgrading Biggin Hill, the company's private jet facility in Kent.

If politicians get their way, this will not be the only major UK airport sale in the next two years. Yesterday, the Transport Select Committee clashed with Unite, the biggest civil aviation union, over the future of BAA's airports. The committee threw its weight behind the campaign to force Grupo Ferrovial, BAA's owner, to sell at least one of its South-east airports, which include Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick.

Expressflight
18th Mar 2008, 13:08
This week's edition of Property Week (normally a reliable source of information) reports that there is a short-list of seven bidders for LSACL as follows:
Macquarie, the Australian conglomerate
Dawnay, Day, who own Oxford, Kidlington
Barclays Capital
Hochtief
Balfour Beatty
Albertis
AIG (the LCY bid)
If this is accurate it represents a pretty heavyweight collection of bidders.

Expressflight
20th Mar 2008, 07:58
It's reported on the Air Humberside forum this morning that HS748 G-AYIM will today route BLK-SEN-CVT-SEN for Janes Aviation and that the aircraft will then be SEN based.
If so, it will be nice to see that occasionally rumours actually come to something :).
Update: Just been told it's ETA SEN is 10:20 today.

frostbite
20th Mar 2008, 12:37
Confirm, heard it arriving at around that time.

Toxic Thrust
22nd Mar 2008, 09:22
Yes Expressflight a very heavyweight selection of potential bidders. I do have to say that not all airport operators are all they are cracked up to be, The particular operator that gets it will very much determine the sort of airport that is run in the future.

Albertis - Have had results at LTN in terms of filling the stands and terminal. Their biggest problem at Luton is the short lease that is left which is why investment has stopped. One problem that they would not have at SEN.

Hochteif - well I belive they run BRS and that doesn't seem to be doing bad right now

LCY (AIG) - The inftasrtucture would get sorted. runway, ramp, terminal and all of the other things that need doing. They have an ability to get the airlines to come rolling in. The airport could rapidly become a very expensive operating environment for the GA operators and dozens of parasitic operators that survive on SEN's low rates though.

Barclays capital - Well they could be working as a front for anyone

Dawnay Day - Are making some changes at OXF but have they got what it takes to take on SEN?

Infratil - God help us look at Manston for God's sake!

Balfour Beatty - well it doesn't sound like they particularly know what they are doing at EXT right now

Don't know anything about the one from Oz

Can't say I thnk much of the CAFCO mob that oprerate Coventry as the airport development seems to have become completely botched and no one knows what is going to happen there now.

I am sure there are many others and I'm not sure which one I'd go for

The worst thing that could happen is someone take it to hold onto for a few years, do absolutley nothing and turn a fast buck. The airport needs heaps spending on it to bring it into this century and that needs to start ASAP

SWBKCB
22nd Mar 2008, 10:21
According to their website Macquarie have interests in Bristol, Sydney, Brussels and Copenhagen airports (and through Copenhagen also Newcastle)

Expressflight
24th Mar 2008, 13:13
There's a report on the Freight Dogs forum that Janes Aviation plan to have six aircraft in service by the end of this year, with the second aircraft ready for delivery now and the third nearly so.
I assume that much of their flying will be from airfields other than SEN, but they could amount to quite a substantial new resident outfit.
Anyone heard what their operational plans are in order to keep a fleet of that size busy?

Expressflight
25th Mar 2008, 10:12
The Flywatch website today is showing a SEN-POX (don't you just love that designator) service commencing 2 May 2008 with departures SEN 1600 Fridays and 0900 Mondays. They say this will allow either a weekend or a whole week in Paris - and presumably the same in London for French inbound pax.
Fares, wait for it, are an eyewatering £360 return plus taxes.
Aircraft will still be the Navajo, although I doubt they will need even seven seats at those fares. Just who is likely to be prepared to pay that amount is quite beyond me I'm afraid.
The SEN-LTQ will operate just as Saturday and Sunday day returns w.e.f the end of April, although not on the Saturdays that the SEN-OST day returns are scheduled.

loveJet
26th Mar 2008, 03:43
considering LCY are building more stands, getting larger aircraft approved and possibly able to extend the runway to the west at some point, don't poeple of SEN believe this could be a predatory purchase of the airport? In order to stifle it completely and ensure everything comes into LCY.

I really see no benefit for LCY in spending heaps on SEN only to carve apart its own market. Quite blatantly obvious to me there is something fishy here.

Expressflight
26th Mar 2008, 07:22
If LCY could offer increased distances through a runway extension there might be something in what you say, but they cannot.
LCY cannot provide a Runway Strip of sufficient width to meet the CAP 168 requirements for greater TODAs and ASDAs than approximately it has at present.

SEN on the other hand, with a proposed runway of 1850m, would offer new opportunities for LCY's owners without diluting its own current market. Leisure routes from the likes of Flybe and the bizjet FBO market are just two areas where expansion at SEN would have no detrimental effect on LCY.

frostbite
26th Mar 2008, 12:38
There is also the convenience of a nearby company owned divert when conditions at LCY warrant it, a not uncommon occurence.

Buster the Bear
26th Mar 2008, 22:24
If Richard Gooding is involved with a bid, then Southend has a REAL future!

Porrohman
8th Apr 2008, 10:44
Has there been any activity around the Shorts Belfast recently?

A post in the Freight Dogs forum concerning the CL44 Guppy implies that the Belfast may yet be returned to airworthiness by Heavylift.

frostbite
8th Apr 2008, 11:35
Are Heavylift still in business?

I thought they ceased trading some years ago.

Porrohman
8th Apr 2008, 12:57
Heavylift Cargo Airlines (Australia) operates the last airworthy Belfast although it's registered in the Philipines. It started life in the RAF Serial XR365 (Hector), was sold to Heavylift (UK) as G-HLFT, then after refurbishment at Prestwick a few years ago joined Heavylift Australia as 9L-LDQ. It was subsequently re-registered RP-C8020, still with Heavylift Australia. It operates ad-hoc outsize cargo charters mainly in Asia and Australasia.

If you Google "Heavylift", search Airliners.net and check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorts_Belfast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorts_Belfast) you'll find more photo's and info.

G-BEPS at Southend was being prepared to join the Heavylift Australia fleet during 2006 but work was halted during 2007 by which time rewiring had been completed, four engines had been refitted and three had been ground tested (the other was short of a prop). Since then, I believe a prop has been removed and little information was forthcoming for the rest of last year.

More recently, I heard that both the Guppy at Bournmouth and the Belfast at Southend were to be surveyed by Heavylift Australia this spring and a decision would then be made about their futures. It seems that the Guppy is missing vital technical documentation and the CAA won't allow it to fly until this is found. The future for the Belfast may be more positive. Time will tell.

Porrohman
13th Apr 2008, 09:58
Accoring to a post in the Freight Dogs forum two more props are about to be fitted to the Belfast (See CL-44/ Swingtail thread);

Understand the Reps are at the 2nd Belfast with 2 more bits and pieces that go round and round with props bolted to them . That will make 4 ?:D

If any Southend locals notice any progress and/or can post photos please could you post a reply in the Belfast thread in the History and Nostalgia forum.
Thanks
Porrohman

Porrohman
15th Apr 2008, 16:44
A post in the Swingtail thread in the Freight Dogs forum states that there's been activity around the Belfast in recent days.

frostbite
15th Apr 2008, 19:47
Probably not relevant at all but there was (unusually) a Chinook at SEN today.

Ferrying parts?

trainee_flyboy
18th Apr 2008, 15:20
Last I heard the Belfast refurb was on permenant hold with the possibility of the scrap man getting involved? Hope its not the case :(

HZ123
19th Apr 2008, 16:30
It is all rumour but some of the wags at SEN today stated that it is due to come over to the terminal area when space becomes availible for a heavy duty wash before going into ATC.

Expressflight
22nd Apr 2008, 11:40
According to the Air Humberside forum the new check-in area comes into operation today. Apparently this comprises three desks with two check-in points each.

The additional departure gate also seems to have been completed, this having involved extending the departures area into the landside part of the terminal.

frostbite
22nd Apr 2008, 19:51
I posted this in the Flybe forum, but wonder if anyone can comment on the reason?

Friends booked 4x Southend-Jersey rtn seats with them some time ago for one of their Weds. departures.

Just received email saying they have been transferred to a flight the previous day to that booked, leaving two hours earlier, from Gatwick!

Since they live near SEN, where they can park free for the week, they are not happy.

Expressflight
23rd Apr 2008, 07:03
Two possibilities:

1) The SEN flight is overbooked.
2) The SEN flight has very poor bookings so is cx.

What was the date of the flight they booked?

Edit: Dummy bookings on the Flybe website just now show all Wednesdays still have availability through to at least end of July.

HZ123
23rd Apr 2008, 09:47
Fkybe have over the last few years always cancxelled the first few weeks of the operation. Might it have something to do with empty a/c coming to SEN as it is early in the season. For those that do use the service let us hope it operates considerably better than the last few seasons with many departures 2-3 hours late.

welkyboy
23rd Apr 2008, 20:43
There are no flights at all to Jersey on their website for August.

Expressflight
24th Apr 2008, 06:45
There most certainly are and they are all bookable, Wednesdays and Saturday, throughout August.

SENFLYER
24th Apr 2008, 14:40
Stand 6 tomorrow 0700L, full external wash! It won't be going to ATC they already have 16 a/c to deal with.

Anyone know how the bidders visit went yesterday?

GiveMeABreak
25th Apr 2008, 19:57
Back in the graveyard at the north of taxyway Bravo by 18:00, albeit a little cleaner...sounds promising for a return to the air though.

Expressflight
29th Apr 2008, 06:20
According to a report in the Echo newspaper, LCY's bid to purchase SEN seems to be gaining momentum.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/display.var.2229396.0.0.php

Expressflight
21st May 2008, 12:02
Flywatch have removed any mention of their proposed Paris (Pontoise) service from their website so I assume that this has now been abandoned.

Does anyone have any idea when an announcement may be made naming the lucky buyer of SEN?
I believe the final bids had to be in by 8 May.

SENFLYER
21st May 2008, 12:40
Does anyone have any idea when an announcement may be made naming the lucky buyer of SEN?

I believe the final bids had to be in by 8 May.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its been suggested that an announcement might be due around the second week of June, but that could be complete fiction.

Any ideas on who's put bids in for the FBO the airport were advertising for last year? :bored:

frostbite
23rd May 2008, 12:40
Heads up (literally!) for the Airshow on Sunday & Monday.

Hope the weather is better than last year, although the forecast isn't good.

HZ123
23rd May 2008, 14:00
Isnt good is putting it mildly. Some sources are giving out a severe warning for the S east. Does anyone know what time the stuff will start arriving at SEN tomorrow. Saturday's show at the drome is always the best bit.

Does anyone also know if the AA dakota will be at Sen this weekend as the Biiggen Hill flights this weekend that were have been moved to SEN for some reason to do with thanet Council.

Finally, I have booked a seat on next fridays Sen dak flight and booked it sometime ago. In response the e-mail stated the travel document would be with me in 3-5 days, 16 days ago and I get no response to futher e-mails. Has anyone received travel docs or do we just turn up with a receipt copy.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Porrohman
23rd May 2008, 15:24
Has there been any further work carried out on the Belfast since its recent wash?

Posts in early May on the CL44 thread in the Freight Dogs forum indicated that further progress would be made in late May.

frostbite
23rd May 2008, 16:44
HZ123, you could have started your spotting today. Quite a few of the participants heard (but sadly not seen) this afternoon.

frostbite
25th May 2008, 14:50
Sadly, you would probably have seen or heard more on Friday than you would today.

Heard nothing in the sky or on the radio, except one turning back because of weather.

Will tomorrow be any better?

HZ123
26th May 2008, 14:38
Sadly another poor airshow down to terrible weather and not enough loud jets. If my memory serves me this is the 3 year of bad weather.

blazing_air
26th May 2008, 18:26
The Typhoons and Arrows were sat on the ground all day at MSE, due to the weather :sad:

SENFLYER
27th May 2008, 11:28
:uhoh:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7420968.stm

frostbite
8th Jun 2008, 14:38
Just had an AWACS doing orbits and, according to overheard, he did a low approach on the ILS, mixing it with the Cessnas and PAs.

Made my day, even if he did have a talent for flying into the few clouds.

Expressflight
11th Jun 2008, 16:06
The Minutes of the SEN Consultative Committe meeting on 20 May, just published on the airport website, say that a runway extension of 300m has been agreed with the CAA.

dc9-32
11th Jun 2008, 17:51
What ever happened to the cargo new start up, CWC Airlines, that was going to be based at SEN ? All fell flat did it :confused:

Orientopen
11th Jun 2008, 18:16
With regards to the runway extension-Is this a physical extension or is it a modification of the permitted length? I understood that the airport had to impose a shorter runway length (like at LCY) in order to get its commercial passenger certificate.

Expressflight
11th Jun 2008, 19:21
It is proposed to be a physical extension of 300m added to the existing paved length of 1605m.

The current paved length includes displaced thresholds on each runway and a 90m RESA on 06. It was really only the RESA that reduced SEN's declared distances by any great amount at the time of the CAA review some years back.

Expressflight
21st Jun 2008, 06:56
The Joint Area Action Plan (JAAP) Options Report drawn up by Southend Borough Council and Rochford District Council goes out to public consultation next week.

There are four possible options ranging from no development of SEN to maximum development including a runway extension to 1,799m and expanding the industrial/commercial estates around the airport.

Any one option may be followed in light of the consultation, or a mix from all four, but it is believed that the councils favour the runway extension being included and this would be completed by May 2011.

HZ123
21st Jun 2008, 10:36
Hello Expressflight long time no speak. As a tax payer of the borough I am afraid I see this as more bad news. A couple of years ago the plan was to be up and running long before the Olympic UK fiasco (even you must agree with me there). Now we are looking at possible conclusion by May 2011. I cannot see this as a realistic target and SEN may as well forget the games as a springboard for the airport relaunch. The fact that most of the airlines are struggling to make any money and will continue to do so for the next 2-3 years seems to me to leave SEN high and dry. This is not merely a pessimistic view it is based on my involvment in the aviation industry since 1977 and the many twists and turns that I have witnessed. SEN and whoever takes over the airfield will have to have divine intervention and unlimited funds to turn the airfiled into an airport.

Expressflight
21st Jun 2008, 11:52
HZ123

Good to hear your thoughts.

The management of LSACL certainly believe that the extended runway can be in service by May 2011. The fact that the Olympics are on the horizon may actually concentrate minds within the planning system to ensure that matters are expedited to meet that deadline.

I agree with you that all airlines are going to find the next few years difficult and my guess is that 2008's traffic figures may not be reached again until around 2011 (putting my 43 years involvement in aviation to good use:)). That could be to SEN's advantage, however, as their enhanced capability to attract new airlines will come on stream just as (hopefully) things are picking up again. The current situation could mean that STN's second dunway is deferred and it seems likely that LTN will be treading water during that period, so SEN's prospects may actually be brighter than would have seemed the case just six months ago.

The new owners will certainly need substantial funds and it will be interesting to see their take on the situation once the successful bidder emerges.

HZ123
21st Jun 2008, 12:12
In your opinion with the extra tarmac what a/c types will it enable SEN to handle. With the aging fleet of Avros / 146 the newer generation 319's and even the EMB hulls do not seem to offer a great deal of flexibility in regard of maximising the TTOW.

Expressflight
21st Jun 2008, 15:31
The declared distances should be very similar all round to those at SOU, which gives a fair idea of the sort of types that could be expected to be able to operate at normal weights from SEN. Specifically, all the EMB variants and most of the 737 variants (with the probable exception of the 738 I suspect), A318/319/320, and all the prop twins. These latter types might become an even greater part of the movement mix at many airports in a high oil cost environment, due to their much lower fuel burn/km. I believe the ATR/Q400 burns around 2.2litres/km compared with the 738 burn of 7.4litres/km for example.

Expressflight
28th Jun 2008, 08:29
The sale of LSACL, originally planned for completion at the end of June, is now likely to be completed in July.

I understand that the airport staff have been informed that the parties bidding to be declared 'preferred bidder' have finalised their offers.

Jamie-Southend
4th Jul 2008, 11:22
I here that around 11.15am today a Light A/c has pranged at SEN. No more details known except airfield fire service had to cut at least 1 person free.

Hope all are ok.

J

west lakes
4th Jul 2008, 11:28
http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/7489723.stm

Edited to add it was a wheels up landing, runway now clear.
Info from a reliable source based a Southend

frostbite
4th Jul 2008, 11:42
As I heard it, the aircraft (type unknown) suffered a radio failure and also landed wheels up, suggesting a major electrical fault to me.

It landed at around 1010z and the air ambulance was cancelled en route as injured were described as "walking wounded".

Sorry, that's all I know.

frostbite
28th Jul 2008, 11:45
Is the radar too old? Been u/s for at least two weeks, came back to life on Friday, dead again today.

Also, isn't it about time the new owners were revealed to us?

SENFLYER
28th Jul 2008, 12:43
I saw notams last week saying it was U/S until today / tomorrow, are they doing an upgrade in the tower because no one is touching the radar itself??? It could be... The airport are throwing in last minute investment to the various upgrades required around the field as a gesture of good will to the new owners.

Yeah the announcement was supposed to be June and then mid July its almost August anyone have an inclin'??

Expressflight
28th Jul 2008, 15:38
Meetings were being arranged to take place during July between the chosen bidders and the SEN 'stakeholders' (the two Councils etc.). If this has indeed happened then I assume an announcement cannot be long in coming now.

SENFLYER
11th Aug 2008, 17:17
The Joint Area Action Plan seems to be in full swing, so maybe the decision on the runway extension wil come before the new buyer announcement! Or perhaps xmas will come first :rolleyes:. Also SEN I hope you have a representation in Beijing becuase all the other airports are out there with their business cards and hand out memory sticks...

Expressflight
12th Aug 2008, 06:25
My understanding of the situation is that two final bidders have been selected, one to be the preferred bidder and the other to be the reserve bidder should the first drop out at the last minute.

That would be in line with Andrew Walters' statement to the Airport Consultative Committee in May that two final bids would be chosen.

Presumably an announcement on who is selected as preferred bidder will be made shortly.

frostbite
16th Aug 2008, 16:43
Still no news on the preferred bidder(s) but they're offering tours of the airport at the end of August, more at

http://www.southendairport.com/PDFs/Behind%20the%20scenes%20tour.pdf

Expressflight
27th Aug 2008, 06:19
The Echo newspaper website today carries a story in which Macquarie Airports deny they are the chosen buyer of SEN, this having recently been reported on Meridian TV news apparently.

The more interesting part of the story is that they quote the LCY consortium as still being interested in the purchase and that they hope to be the successful bidder. This goes counter to recent rumours that LCY had pulled out of the bidding.

frostbite
27th Aug 2008, 14:21
Given all the projects in the pipeline, this delay and uncertainty is rather puzzling.

Must have put everything back by several months.

frostbite
27th Aug 2008, 19:52
Just found on their website, a promotion for "a weekend of flying nostalgia" featuring pleasure flights in a Dragon Rapide, Sept 27/8.

SENFLYER
29th Aug 2008, 21:17
I would have thought Andrew Walters would be looking to get his money back sooner rather than later? Can't understand whats delayed it so long really or perhaps people where bidding to prevent others succeeding rather than to buy?? Hey diggers clearing the field to the right of 06 any significance or just coincidence???

Expressflight
30th Aug 2008, 07:08
The diggers adjacent to the 06 threshold are removing the existing boundary fence and relocating it further East on land recently leased by LSACL in order that the Runway Strip will comply with CAP168 width requirements.

I understand that Andrew Walters is very keen to get an early sale agreement. Apparently Alastair Welch said yesterday, when introducing the airport coach tours, that once the chosen bidder has satisfied them that they have the finance in place to carry through the development plan then an announcment will be made.

frostbite
5th Sep 2008, 16:42
Nothing on the Southend website (which is a bit mean of them) but there is a 'Tour of the Vulcan' day planned for the 27th.

approach24
5th Sep 2008, 19:02
If you look on the 'Local Interest and Community' page of the airport website, there is a link to a page advertising the Vulcan open days.

frostbite
5th Sep 2008, 19:48
Aha! Right down at the bottom - I went to that section but didn't scroll down far enough - looking at the Press Releases, you see.

Apologies - the event is taking place on the 21st September.

sparksfly01
13th Oct 2008, 15:37
does anyone have any information on southend airports new owners?

HZ123
14th Oct 2008, 06:51
It has gone very quite on this issue. The last rumour was that the Eddie Stobbart group had been and had another look at things. Now is not a good time to be trying to sell it and each day makes the matter worse as whatever your view the future prospects look poor. The STN expansion plan cannot have helped either.

Expressflight
14th Oct 2008, 07:21
I don't think the fact that STN has received approval for an increase in throughput has had any impact on the sale of SEN. That had, after all, been anticipated even before RAL put SEN on the market.

The global financial crisis has obviously had a big impact and must have caused prospective buyers to re-evaluation the situation. The one advantage that SEN does have in the current situation is that it is less likely to suffer a serious drop in revenues over the next couple of years compared to most airports and its development plan would not be completed until mid 2011. Some would say that this timescale could be just right to catch the best of the upturn.

As far as Stobbart is concerned, my understanding is that their interest is still alive and that negotiations may be at a late stage.

No one could argue, though, that the recent past has been a very good time to try to sell any UK airport.

Expressflight
7th Nov 2008, 07:37
A report in today's Echo newspaper says that they understand an announcement concerning the negotiations for Stobart to purchase SEN will be made within the next 3 days.

HZ123
7th Nov 2008, 12:34
With out wishing to sound negative this was the only group left that had any interest in purchasing SEN. What would concern me is they have even less experience than RAL in running an airport. After 2 years ownership of Carlisle the company is yet to manifest anything other than grand plans? I hope to be proved wrong and see SEN develop quickly, as what?

frostbite
7th Nov 2008, 14:37
I wonder if the recent announcement of another new hotel put off some potential purchasers?

As I recall, this new hotel would be right next to the airport and provide serious competition for the as yet unbuilt Ramada hotel.

Barnaby the Bear
7th Nov 2008, 15:28
With out wishing to sound negative

That will be a first!
http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/hidecouch.gif

HZ123
10th Nov 2008, 15:46
Told today that ES have now declined to pursue the purchase, anyone confirm.

HS-125
10th Nov 2008, 21:14
Interesting if that is the case, as I believe there were no other bidders willing to pay the hefty price tag that RAL wanted . . .

They should of sold the airport months back, they could of got a lot more for it . . ..

Expressflight
12th Nov 2008, 07:03
HZ123

...... and I have been told this morning that the information you received two days ago was incorrect.

Sorry to disappoint you.

HS-125
12th Nov 2008, 07:50
So we can expect ES to be named as the new buyers soon then?

Interesting, I wonder if they actually have the original amount of capital that was requested to develop the airport . . . orwill they mainly focus on a freighth hub for their fleet of trucks?

cricut
29th Nov 2008, 11:42
Their website says they have suspended AOC operations!! Have they closed down? is the owner Tony Gunn still flying?

Yak97
29th Nov 2008, 12:02
According to CAA website:

OL/B/542 Flywatch Ltd - This Operating Licence has been suspended at the licence holder’s request until 25 February 2009.

So perhaps he will be back in the spring when the economic position may be clearer?

frostbite
29th Nov 2008, 14:24
Since this thread has popped up again.

Anyone else feel that the sale is turning into a bit of a farce?

Even if it happened today it must surely impact the time-scale, if not the plans themselves, for the developments.

Expressflight
2nd Dec 2008, 13:45
The London Stock Exchange have just announced that the Stobart Group Limited have agreed the acquisition of SEN from RAL.
The purchase price is £21 million of which £5 million will be payable only after certain aspects of the airport's development plan have been achieved (the runway extension planning approval perhaps?).
SEN MD Alastair Welch will become MD of Stobart's air operations, which will include SEN and the Group's wider air-related activities.

frostbite
2nd Dec 2008, 14:35
Thanks for that!

IIRC that's not the original asking price ?

niknak
2nd Dec 2008, 17:53
Also announced on the BBC tonight that Stobart have bought Southend.

A difficult purchase to fathom, especially given Stobart's questionable track record of aviation invesment in these trouble commercial times but hopefully this will turn out to be a success.

Buster the Bear
2nd Dec 2008, 21:41
No doubt the ability to invest in some infrastructure on the airport site might have swayed Stobart?

Pity Richard Gooding and London City are not heading along the Thames.

HZ123
4th Dec 2008, 16:30
I am sure that we all wish the staff of 'Flightline' the very best for the future. To my reckoniing they have been around at least 20 years, they must have earned a small fortune from BA alone but clearly not enough. Sad loss from the aviation scene, a rare company to get the best out of the 146's.

LTNman
4th Dec 2008, 16:43
The first stage of a plan to link Cumbria to London and Europe by air has been completed with the owners of Carlisle Airport buying Southend Airport for £21m.
The Stobart Group has signed a deal to acquire the Essex airfield, once London’s third largest, and will immediately begin a multi-million pound programme of improvements.

The purchase is a key plank in Stobart chief Andrew Tinkler’s plans to create a thriving passenger and freight service at Carlisle Airport.

Provided planning permission is given for the Irthington development, Southend would act as a southern hub linking Carlisle to London and Europe.

Southend, which is the closest airport to the site of the London 2012 Olympics, will eventually be linked to the centre of the capital via a high speed train line.

Its runway will also be lengthened to accommodate flights to and from southern Europe; it is currently only able to serve northern European airports.

Mr Tinkler said passengers would eventually be able travel from Carlisle to London’s Liverpool Street station in under one-and-a-half hours. Flights could also be boarded at Southend to destinations like Spain and the south of France.

Mr Tinkler’s plans for Carlisle Airport, which also include moving the Eddie Stobart road haulage business there, will be decided on by Carlisle City Council later this month.

He withdrew the proposal earlier this year after it was ‘called in’ for a public inquiry by the Government, who said it did not fit in with the local plan for the area.

He said he was confident the redrawn plans now complied with the local plan.

He told the News & Star: “This has been going on behind the scenes for a long time, but I couldn’t say anything. I hope this proves how serious I am about Carlisle Airport.”

Mr Tinkler has threatened to move the Stobart business out of Cumbria if the airport development is not permitted by February 2009, when the lease on his Kingstown HQ expires. He added: “People are saying these are threats, but they aren’t. I don’t believe in putting pressure on.”

On the Southend purchase, Mr Tinkler said: “This is part of our plans for a multi-modal business.

“It makes sense for a transport company to own an airport. We are not just about road and rail, but sea and air as well. We need a southern base. Southend was the third largest airport in London and it is the closest to the site of the London Olympics (at Stratford).

“There will be a high speed rail link built which will get you to Liverpool Street station in 49 minutes, which goes through Stratford. That means its as close to the centre of London as Luton or Stansted airports.

“The advantage of Southend, though, is that you don’t fly through London airspace, so you miss out on all that traffic. With express terminals that we are developing at both ends, I think you will be able to get from Carlisle to the centre of London in about one-and-a-half hours, give or take.”

A multi-million pound development plan is on the table for Southend, including a new control tower, terminal building and high-quality hotel, plus the new airport railway station and rail link.

Mr Tinkler said the Stobart Rail arm of the group would take over some of that work, including building the station.

Southend Airport managing director Alistair Welsh keeps his job after the deal.

Stobart is paying the vendor, Regional Airports, an initial £16m for the airport and could pay a further £5m subject to the “achievement of certain aspects of the airport’s development”.

To help finance the deal, the company is raising £11.5m by issuing 15.75m new shares at 73p each. Mr Tinkler is expected to buy a number of those shares.

Stobart will use £10m of the proceeds of the share issue and a £6m vendor loan note to pay the initial £16m.

Southend has been included in the Thames Gateway blueprint plan, projected to become one of the UK’s fastest growing development regions, and which includes the new DP World London Gateway Port, opening nearby in 2010.

RB311
4th Dec 2008, 21:14
Southend, which is the closest airport to the site of the London 2012 Olympics, will eventually be linked to the centre of the capital via a high speed train line.

have they heard of London City?

questor
5th Dec 2008, 15:07
Noy only is London City almost on the Olympics' doorstep, but Stansted is a couple of miles clcoser to E15 than is Southend. But why let facts get in the way of a bit of promotional spin?

Expressflight
5th Dec 2008, 16:07
Stobart Group have just announced to the London Stock Exchange that the purchase of Southend Airport was completed today, following the successful share issue to raise much of the funding for the acquisition.

Hopefully we should now see work commence on the railway station, due to open in October 2009, and also progress on the new control tower and airport hotel, all of which form Phase I of the development plan.

Mister Geezer
6th Dec 2008, 17:26
HZ123

In the grand scheme of things BA was just like any other customer for Flightline. We did lots of flying for other operators as well! :ok:

frostbite
25th Dec 2008, 11:44
Lots of aircraft activity from around 0630 today - rather odd since the airport is supposed to be closed!

Didn't see any of them, but no light aircraft heard.

SENFLYER
9th Jan 2009, 10:43
Good to see that the airport appears to be going somewhere finally!
I really hope the pressure is kept on Mr Tinkler and Mr Welch to actually
get on and put the plans into action as history suggests that this will be another round of broken promises. Although if you head over to STN right now you'll be seeing a round of cost cutting, redundancies and all growth parked whilst the inevitable sale comes about..... Come on Southend willing you to pull it out the bag!!

..airman
9th Jan 2009, 10:59
Well, personally I think the station is a red herring and they've probably received bad advice based on the price they've paid.

This study is interesting for Southend...

http://www.eastofenglandobservatory.org.uk/WebDocuments/Public/approved/user_9/Southend%20Airport%20Study.pdf

SENFLYER
9th Jan 2009, 11:17
I think the station could be a red herring too, with ES plans for a freight hub with slf added on are they incorporating a new siding for freight trains ;-)....

At the end of the day SEN's probs will always be capacity and market share..
Someone needs to give it a real USP like Farnborough has done with Exec Av then it stands a fighting chance. In the mean time good runway for training and ATC Lasham.

HZ123
9th Jan 2009, 11:28
I do not think the locals are too keen on an expansion and there are no plans for sidings, besides the size of a/c using SEN I doubt it would warrant frieght trains. You are correct that it needs someone with skills, a vision and willing to go for it and put the money in. At this momemt the airport cannot be making enough to pay the wages. I believe the good news is that Ford are soon to recommence three days a week?

Expressflight
9th Jan 2009, 12:16
There is no prospect of a rail siding at SEN simply because there is not, and never will be, a requirement for such a facility. Even if the proposed runway extension comes about (and that is a big 'if' still) there is no prospect of mainline freighters being able to operate into SEN. All that is likely to result is growth in the express package/urgent freight traffic using aircraft up to ATP size.
It is worth bearing in mind that Ford had planned last Spring, before the motor industry woes began, a twice daily freighter service to Romania following their purchase of the Craiovia car company.

As far as the station becoming a reality is concerned, we obviously won't have long to wait to see if it goes ahead. I'm assured that it will, but I've been involved with SEN for over 45 years, so ...........

..airman
9th Jan 2009, 12:42
Expressflight

As far as the station becoming a reality is concerned, we obviously won't have long to wait to see if it goes ahead. I'm assured that it will, but I've been involved with SEN for over 45 years, so ...........

Oh I wasn't suggesting the station won't happen, but I don't think that makes it the right decision.

I like this Southend forum, full of grounded people recognising the difficulties of the business instead of forums full of deluded people hoping their local airport will be the next LHR!

JB10
9th Jan 2009, 12:52
Any news on the Ford air RJ yet? Is it going back?

Be sad to see it go.

west lakes
9th Jan 2009, 13:04
I would suggest in the immediate future Stobarts's energy will be focused on Carlisle as they have just recently been granted planning permission to move their headquarters there and do some improvements.

Expressflight
10th Jan 2009, 07:46
I think Stobarts intentions at CAX are twofold, with the main one being the construction of a new HQ and warehouse on the airfield and it is only that which has needed, and was recently given, planning approval.
As far as the airfield itself is concerned they seem to have reduced their aims to resurfacing the runway and converting a recently built hangar into a passenger terminal. In other words, they will do just sufficient to enable the establishment of a passenger service to London, with SEN as the destination, which seems to be one of their main ambitions for CAX in the short term.
As far as the station at SEN is concerned, all I can say is that Alastair Welch (who is no fool) sees it as being the key to future success in attracting passenger services. If a CAX-SEN schedule is established, either under Stobart livery or by another operator, it could well act as a catalyst to demonstrate SEN's ability to serve London. After all, the transit times from touchdown to arrival in central London by train will be virtually identical for SEN, STN and LTN so I cannot agree with the "red herring" comments.

HZ123
10th Jan 2009, 13:44
Can the plan not be eventually to dispose of SEN and build houses on it. ES also have a property portfolio. Irrespective of the ownersuip of the airport and the management of the same the last 10 years has achieved absolutely nothing, least of all in passenger traffic. I cannot see how there is even a catchment area for business people to fly CAX-SEN. CAX is only 45 miles from NCL that has facilities to accept any size of aircraft I believe. I am not aware of any blue chip businesses in the CAX areas, therefore who from SE & Essex will wish to travel there. The flight promise has always been to popular EU destinations of which CAX aint one of them. As for cargo the time this comes about the ATP will have ceased to fly.
SEN needs things to happen fast and now. If the third runway gets the go ahead this month then STN, LTN and LGW will have even more SLOT capacity in the future and likely outcome would see any regional airport plans sunk without trace. Surely ES has got to have some far better and futuristic plans if SEN is to expand. These plans are the sort that used to be written on the back of a fag packet and maybe familiar tp those of us that used to attend Airport / Airline management courses.

frostbite
10th Jan 2009, 14:24
Don't forget that SEN is leasehold, so any plans for alternate use lie with the owners.

SWBKCB
10th Jan 2009, 14:40
NCL maybe only 45 miles away from CAX, but it is over the Pennines and the majority on single carraigeway roads - not an easy drive.

west lakes
10th Jan 2009, 14:52
Biggest problem with CAX is the relatively low local population. However realities in time mean from home, the nearest major airport is about 2 1/2 hours travel and at that timing I have the choice of BPL, MAN, NCL, GLA, EDI (just), LPL and for some DTV.
As stated CAX - NCL by road is an hour on a good day.

Expressflight
11th Jan 2009, 07:47
Good old HZ123.

I bet if he finds a fiver on the pavement he moans that it isn't a tenner.

The lease of SEN states that it has to be operated as a commercial airfield, so that hits on the head the idea of it becoming a housing estate.

Just what part of the SEN development plan was "written on the back of a fag packet"? When no development has taken place for years people moan about it. When a comprehensive plan is drawn up which would give SEN all the facilities it so obviously lacks at the moment to make it a serious contender as a London airport (a modern terminal with adjacent rail station, an extended runway, a new control tower, an on-site hotel, and an FBO facility) some people still moan about it and deride it as unrealistic.

While it may be true that NCL is only an hour's drive from Carlisle, why does that mean that a direct flight to London from CAX would not succeed? Are the people of Carlisle going to say "oh yes, let's drive across the Pennines to fly out of NCL to London rather than use the airport on our doorstep." I don't think so. Now, if you're talking about additional destinations direct from CAX then I would agree that the potential is very limited, but if the the CAX-SEN service routed on to, say, AMS, and connected with one or two other flights originating at SEN that would make it quite an attractive route. Obviously SEN-CAX traffic would be very limited, so the answer is to have the aircraft nightstop CAX and operate CAX-SEN-AMS-SEN, then a midday rotation to another destination SEN-XXX-SEN, with an afternoon/evening SEN-AMS-SEN-CAX. By nightstopping at CAX you avoid the problem of possible diversions of an early a.m. arrival that CAX's limited approach aids might present, while offering the good people of Carlisle a realistic day return to London. Or is that scenario "back of a fag packet" as well?

As for the threat posed by LTN and STN being a problem, that threat is certainly less than it was a couple of years ago. LTN has abandoned plans for its new runway and STN seem to have put back their plans for a second runway by a number of years. There will be a good few years available for SEN to make its mark before additional runway capacity appears elsewhere in the South-East.

marlowe
11th Jan 2009, 11:50
Ah this is the forum HZ123 is now talking sh#te in !!!

frostbite
11th Jan 2009, 14:23
Let's not turn this into another Manston type thread!

SENFLYER
12th Jan 2009, 11:16
Good to see Express Flight knows more than he's letting on as usual ;-)

I am under no illusions that the airport will ever become anything other than an airport because thankfully southend & rd councils have a small brain and know when they're onto a good thing!

My only concern is that ES won't go through with the development (note i dont use the word expansion although being a local i'm fully un-opposed).
AW started with grand ideas and look what happened to those.......

Re FordAir... Can't see that reviving in the short term think it maybe too expensive for unhappy US car companies but would be gladly be proved wrong. Ooh weren't Ford looking to replace their two BBj's I did know but that seems to have skipped my mind. Hmm must be the dumb stansted mentallity effecting my brain :rolleyes:

CAX is that a real pax option!? Can't see the load factor balancing the books even as one sector prior to SEN - AMS, now mail/small cargo that is an option potentially. Oh and Fedex are using ATR's at the mo reckon they'd be a better option than ATP's from memory they weren't the easiest to operate.........

Expressflight
12th Jan 2009, 15:26
The immediate catchment area of CAX comprises a population of 160,000, this being those living within 30 minutes drive of the airport, and for 500,000 people CAX would be their nearest airport. This is according to the recent consultants' report commissioned by Stobarts.
By comparison the respective figures for Newquay are 240,000 and 425,000 so CAX doesn't look too bad as there are similarities between the two locations in terms of employment and tourism potential.

But I do agree that to make CAX-SEN really viable you would need to make it part of a small route network based on SEN which would fully utlilise one aircraft.

I also agree with SENFLYER that the ATR is operationally probably more reliable than the ATP and may be the feeder freighter of the immediate future.

Jamie-Southend
1st Feb 2009, 19:16
Airport station: Just months away (From Echo) (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/4087236.Airport_station__Just_months_away/)

Enjoy

Jamie

Expressflight
3rd Feb 2009, 11:22
And something less enjoyable......

Ford UK have notified their employees that the SEN-CGN shuttle has been closed down and Ford Air will cease to exist.

In future all staff travel between UK HQ and Cologne will be on the Germanwings STN-CGN scheduled service.

SENFLYER
12th Feb 2009, 09:34
Its a shame but not entirely unexpected. I think Ford would have trouble justifying flying staff around it in its current sales/financial situation.

I saw something in the Echo about ES plans for the airport but didnt get to read it. Was it anything worthwhile to know or were they just getting excited about the station again? I have to say though its good to see the local press are pro the airport at the moment...

Expressflight
16th Feb 2009, 14:18
The Joint Area Action Plan 'Preferred Option' document, produced by Southend Borough Council and Rochford District Council, has been published today.
This proposes that the runway should be extended to "a net useable length of 1,799 metres", together with a new access road from the A127 to Eastwoodbury Lane, a new heavy maintenance area to the north of the runway and new business parks on the northern boundary of the airfield. Support will also be given by the Councils to any planning application to increase the capacity of the new (as yet unbuilt) passenger terminal to 2 million passengers per annum.
Passenger flight scheduling will be limited to between 06:30 and 23:00 Monday to Saturday and 07:00 to 23:00 Sundays. There will be a quota imposed on night freight flights and only ICAO Stage 3 & 4 aircraft will be allowed for both pax and freight flights.
All in all just about everything that the new owners would have wanted I suggest.

The Air Humberside forum also carries a report that groundworks have commenced today on the airport station site.

maliyahsdad
17th Feb 2009, 07:35
drive past the station site everyday and can't say i have noticed anything, mind you its only a quick flash across the field and railwayline. will have to pop behind argos and have a look.

edit- looks like just one digger, further clearance where the old hangar was demolished.

approach24
17th Feb 2009, 12:16
I can confirm the report that work has started on the airport station. I've just been over there and they look as if they're clearing the site. There were several Stobart Rail vans parked up and a JCB type machine was in use. New plant machinery was just being unloaded as I was there.
Nice to see some progress.

Yak97
3rd Mar 2009, 16:53
Published today by CAA:

OL/B/542 Flywatch Limited - This Operating Licence has been revoked at the licence holder’s request with effect from 25 February 2009.

Shame, timing wasn't the greatest.

frostbite
3rd Mar 2009, 19:49
Business operation wasn't the greatest either.

I have friends who would have been frequent flyers with them and, together with their friends, would have more than half filled the a/c on occasions.

They didn't want the advertised weekend return, so I emailed Flywatch about 7 or 14 day return trips.

Still waiting for a reply.

SENFLYER
4th Mar 2009, 12:05
Good to see JAAP out at last, hope everyone on here will complete the feedback and help support the runway etc.

Also anyone know anything about the SEN FBO? As in who a likely operator might be?

I've heard from Inflite that they're not interested but that could be a diversionary tactic or maybe Signature F.S as they were snapping up all the other opportunities? Tag I think are unlikely as Farnborough is their main interest and Harrods Aviation I don't think they would? Any thoughts?

Re Station - Civ Engineers were buzzing around site earlier not much other than that.

Expressflight
4th Mar 2009, 15:00
I'm not sure if the FBO is still high on the list of priorities and I certainly haven't heard anything about it for the past 6 months or more. Probably not a very auspicious time to be offering the franchise and perhaps unlikely to attract serious bidders at the moment.

The actual construction work on the station itself begins in May.

Steviec9
20th Apr 2009, 13:15
Just thought I'd ask what's actually happening with SEN? Is the construction of the station underway? if so, when is it likely to open? Also, what ops are likely by the time/if the station opens - what will the proposed runway reconfig allow?

Just curious. We used to use SEN all the time in the early 70's and I remember it as fairly busy with BAF, Channel Airways, DAT etc.

If it acheives 'integrated transport hub' (and depending on what ops are viable), surely it must have a future? 40mins direct train service to London, less to 2012 sites in East London and much lower charges and more capacity than LCY I would have thought?

There's a great film of SEN in the late 60's/early 70's on the Pathe site if anyone is interested. Very nostalgic but also very funny compared to slick operation of airports today.

Jamie-Southend
20th Apr 2009, 14:13
The construction of the Station is indeed underway on both sides of the rail track.

I will let other members answer the remains of post whilst i search the Pathe News site :)

Jamie

frostbite
20th Apr 2009, 14:33
I noticed the airshow section on the website was still showing details of last year a couple of weeks ago, so emailed them to point it out. Got a rapid response, thanking me for pointing it out and claiming to have updated it. Still showing the same!

Don't even know if there's going to be a show this year, although there have been some loud Mil birds recently....