PDA

View Full Version : SOUTHEND - 2

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

wanna_be_there
13th Dec 2010, 18:38
BHX/MXP/BHX

BHX/CDG/BHX

Both do have loco's on the route, flybe.

Phileas Fogg
13th Dec 2010, 20:07
WBT,

Not when I was travelling they weren't operating the routes!

siftydog
14th Dec 2010, 15:49
Ran the fugures through the performance module today for a ficticious 1800m S/L runway; the 319 will carry a full load easily to the south of Spain with plently to spare. On a wet runway, low QNH and anti ice required, it's to the south of Spain with just a little to spare.

I's like to see EZY at SEN, it would provide a clever pincer to the STN dominated Essex catchment - effectively what they did at LTN.

Chitty
29th Dec 2010, 15:17
does eny one know when aer arann are putting the southend flights on sale

NorthSouth
29th Dec 2010, 16:07
siftydog:Ran the fugures through the performance module today for a ficticious 1800m S/L runway; the 319 will carry a full load easily to the south of Spain with plently to spare. On a wet runway, low QNH and anti ice required, it's to the south of Spain with just a little to spare.Was that an 1800m TODA you assumed? And did you get the same results if you used the extended SEN TORA and ASDA of 1739m? And did you factor in the obstacles at both ends of the runway?

NS

siftydog
30th Dec 2010, 22:35
Hi,

Nope, it was a generic 1800m balanced runway. Can't remember what SEN's obstacles are. Actually, thinking about it I did run some figures on the current runway there and they were quite restrictive from one end. Can't remember which though......

sifty

Barnaby the Bear
31st Dec 2010, 17:26
I suspect Stobart Air have done their figures, along with any Airlines that would be looking into the viability of Southend. :}

Red Four
3rd Jan 2011, 09:14
There is an interview with the airport marketing on this link, and some photos of the devlopments:
Southend Radio (http://www.southendradio.com/news/page.asp?id=55)

Nakata77
3rd Jan 2011, 11:18
no sign of being able to book any aer arann flights on the website. any indication of when these are going on sale???

daz211
3rd Jan 2011, 11:41
I feel sorry for the poor people who have to look out of there front window at that so called state of the art Train Station, What an eye sore a major blot on the landscape:yuk:.

Barnaby the Bear
3rd Jan 2011, 20:19
Southend Airport Railway Station - Class 321 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sinkplunger/4760008334/)

Looks good to me.

NorthSouth
4th Jan 2011, 09:31
Even more impressive is the control tower. What an eye-opener (literally!) it will be for ATC to get out of the Black Hole of Rochford that was the old tower.
NS

canberra97
7th Jan 2011, 02:03
Well I have to say that the new Rail Station at Southend Airport looks far better then the pathetic station and new passenger bridge at SOU!

Barnaby the Bear
7th Jan 2011, 19:40
The proposed new hotel (Planning consent given) doesn't look too shabby either.

http://www.councilbust.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/airport_hotel.jpg

vulcanised
7th Jan 2011, 21:32
They have also begun advertising the first (60) of the new job vacancies created by the expansion.

Aero Mad
8th Jan 2011, 00:05
It has been really wonderful to watch Southend's decline and fall after British Air Ferries (then British World) collapsed, with no scheduled air services and a miserable future transform within three years to bright horizons with scheduled services confirmed and public transport links/a hotel. The new railway station is very impressive and much better than Southampton (I know because I have to travel through there regularly commuting to/from Alderney). Until recently the stairs over the railway were ridiculous when one had 15kg luggage (now there is a lift, thankfully).

Whilst I appreciate that you need to build the hotel and get the staff before services begin, it is slightly alarming that with the current Aer Arann fleet shortages (look at IOM - LCY and there are serious problems, a 328 lease or a somewhat tatty ATR) that Stobart are looking to them to start the European services as well as Waterford/Galway. It should also be noted that Luton - Galway has been cut back on recently.

Incidentally, when/if Alderney expands its runway and upgrades from the Trislander fleet up to aircraft like the EMB-110/120 or even the Dash 8-100, I would expect Southend to be its chosen London terminus. Low costs, good travel to/from the airport and lack of restrictions give this airport the edge over Northolt, Blackbushe, and Manston whilst Farnborough and Biggin can't even take any scheduled traffic!

Good luck Southend and may it flourish to the benefit of its community.

Phileas Fogg
8th Jan 2011, 00:10
I particularly like the Essex Girl (in pic) en-route to the hotel .... what is her availability like? :)

compton3bravo
8th Jan 2011, 07:55
Could you inform me of what scheduled services have been confirmed? I do not see anything in any booking engine etc.

Shamrogue
8th Jan 2011, 09:45
Perhaps - a cabinet reshuffle of routes will happen with RE. Obviously if they are loosing money - certain routes are not paying their way and a/c will be deployed on routes which may work more positively. No doubt the RE team will have done their homework on routes etc.

Wouldn't it be just outstanding to see RE going from strenght to strenght - flight of the Phoenix stuff.

Slan
Shamrogue

Expressflight
9th Jan 2011, 10:20
compton3bravo

One of the first new scheduled services should be Groningen to Southend, operated by GLM and commencing in April.

The Aer Arann situation still seems a little unclear although March 28 for Galway and Waterford still seems to be the plan.

compton3bravo
9th Jan 2011, 10:43
Well Expressflight call me an old cynic but Groningen-Southend are you sure the airport and train station will be able to cope with the hordes of passengers! Just had a quick look at the Groningen Airport website and absolutely no menion of the Southend service anywhere or GLM Airlines in fact trying to promote a Gatwick, Luton or Stansted service but good the best of British as they say. Also getting rather late to promote the Irish routes me thinks.

RooCat
9th Jan 2011, 11:29
Compton3Bravo, it appears that GLM is a start-up. This extract is taken from the Routes Online website:
GLM Airlines

Netherlands-based GLM Airlines is seeking to serve European markets.

GLM's focus is to achieve high-efficiency operations and competitive ticket prices, even with smaller aircraft and without losing profitability.

The carrier has achieved this by introducing a fully integrated web based ICT-system (IOS Meredon) - a solid solution designed to minimise overhead costs and named ‘LOCC airliner' (Low Overhead Cost Carrier).
And according to Groningen Airports Route Shop Profile, one of their wishes is for a London Route, while proving a smaller demand for Norwich as well.This could be an interim route, or trying to get the cheapest way to serve both.
Looks like there could be an element of truth beehind the rumour
:) RC

Expressflight
9th Jan 2011, 12:39
It is not a rumour.

www.flyglm.nl (http://www.flyglm.nl)

Nubrawarriors
9th Jan 2011, 14:40
''I particularly like the Essex Girl (in pic) en-route to the hotel .... what is her availability like?''

She cant be from Essex as she is not wearing white stilettos. Anyway the guy looks like Alastair Cook, an Essex boy that WON us the Ashes.

As you all know, 'The only way is Essex'.

Regards PC

Expressflight
9th Jan 2011, 15:31
The GLM GRQ-SEN service is now starting to attract the interest of the Dutch newspapers, one of which shows a Saab 340 mocked up in GLM colours - although I'm not certain that is quite finalised.
One paper also quotes the airline as saying "Southend was chosen because it provides a shorter flight time and is cheaper (than alternative airports)".

Barnaby the Bear
9th Jan 2011, 17:22
Great if true, but its hard to take it too seriously based on the website link provided and lack of info from any searches. Especially if they intend to start in the Spring!

IOMspotter
9th Jan 2011, 18:11
Whats happened to the GWY SEN ? As far as i can se they are still pushing LTN as their LON hub.:confused:

Expressflight
10th Jan 2011, 07:28
Barnaby

I think the owner of GLM is probably a reasonably reliable source.

compton3bravo
10th Jan 2011, 20:42
I see from the airline`s website that both the Galway and Waterford services during the summer show the UK terminus as Luton. Some people are going to be very annoyed if the route is switched to Southend at this late stage and a lot of cancellations could ensue which will not do the airline any good at all.

Kinocker
12th Jan 2011, 19:58
So then, there would appear to be plenty of spare capacity about to become available for Aer Arann to launch Southend operations with the loss of four of their Irish PSO routes from July?

Aero Mad
12th Jan 2011, 20:22
Picture of the mock-up GLM craft is here (http://www.dutchfs.com/crew/arno/glm-3.JPG) :)

Expressflight
13th Jan 2011, 07:33
GLM is not planning to operate the Saab 340.

Chille Con Carnie
19th Jan 2011, 20:25
I here that the new terminal started to come out of the ground yesterday,
large steels being bolted into place,
Great News.

compton3bravo
20th Jan 2011, 09:46
Yes Chilli, better get a move on with the new terminal as it will not be able to cope considering the airport handled three air transport movements and 123 passengers in December!

Barnaby the Bear
20th Jan 2011, 12:17
Whats Decembers figures got to do with the future? :ugh:

compton3bravo
20th Jan 2011, 13:45
Some people might say what future Barnaby looking at the prospects of a number of other regional airports in the UK.

Phileas Fogg
20th Jan 2011, 13:56
Southern Spain,

Are you familiar with the A127? From/to Sarfend it's a high speed road link direct in to, out of, the east end of a somewhat large town the identity of which slips my mind, the only thing(s) absent from the equation, at this time, are decent airport facilities, runway etc.

compton3bravo
20th Jan 2011, 16:53
Actually Phileas very familiar. I have often travelled on the said road down to a seaside resort which name escapes me! I would not call it high speed - it is not a motorway - so the legal limit is 60 mph. The trouble is when I and many other ex pats who pay a visit to dear old blighty (I use the term loosely now unfortunately) the traffic drives you mad, too many vehicles going hell for leather or trying to and nobody seems to have a minute to spare for anyone. May I add that I have actually flown from Southend but it was a long time ago now.
But sincerely keep the faith - unfortunately I think you are going to have great facilities but very few people to use them.

Phileas Fogg
20th Jan 2011, 17:08
Suggest you retake your driving test Compton, the UK national speed limit for a dual carriageway is 70 mph!

I'm going to have the facilities? I'm not in Sarfend, I'm not in Essex, I'm not even in England!!!

Expressflight
22nd Jan 2011, 06:52
Here is a CGI video which gives a walk through as a departing and arriving passenger. The bmibaby advertising poster is interesting.

Echo news from Southend, Basildon, Castle Point,Rayleigh, Rochford, Wickford, Billericay, Thurrock (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/video/)

The 5Q
22nd Jan 2011, 23:31
Keep an eye on aerarann.com on Thursday 27th press release due.

NorthSouth
23rd Jan 2011, 20:16
The bmibaby advertising poster is interesting[at risk of re-starting a previous debate on this thread] What will be even more interesting is seeing their 733s and 735s operating off a runway Southend's length.

NS

horatio_b
24th Jan 2011, 06:00
With the 300m extension to 1905m , I wouldn't anticipate runway length being a major problem for B737-300 and similar.

virginblue
24th Jan 2011, 07:18
I found the fleet of Boeing 737s on the apron with Skyteam stickers on them more interesting :eek:

Nice find. Lovely terminal. I guess the big question will be whether or not they can attract a LCC that has a vision to make SEN a (small-scale) less-hassle, sort of upmarket alternative to STN. Too bad that not many LCCs other than Easyjet and Ryanair are left. Theoretically, it would be logical that those LCCs without a LON presence take the bait (although it would probably be wiser for them to stay out of the LON market altogether). bmibaby and Jet2 come to mind.

dc9-32
24th Jan 2011, 07:44
Are the BMIbaby and AVIS poster wording round the wrong way deliberately :ooh:

NorthSouth
24th Jan 2011, 09:33
horatio_b:With the 300m extension to 1905m , I wouldn't anticipate runway length being a major problem for B737-300 and similarWhat about with an extension to 1799m, which is what it'll actually be (see posts 491 and 494)?
NS

Aero Mad
24th Jan 2011, 14:47
NS, considering that Jersey's runway is 1706m and Thomsonfly (as it was then) used to operate 737-300s in there to Coventry, Luton, Doncaster and Cardiff until it changed over completely to -800s, there still shouldn't be too much of a problem considering that we assume that it will only be closer European airports (Netherlands, France etc.) that will be served.

NorthSouth
24th Jan 2011, 17:01
AM:Jersey's runway is 1706mYes that's the physical length of the tarmac but the TODA is 1889m on 09 and 2469m on 27. Southend won't match those.
NS

Aero Mad
24th Jan 2011, 17:40
Forgive me for my absolute and utter ignorance :rolleyes:, but how can the TODA be longer than the physical length of the tarmac?

pug
24th Jan 2011, 17:44
TODA is thedistance available in order to clear certain obstacles etc. TORA is the length of tarmac.

Aero Mad
24th Jan 2011, 21:34
Then surely the TODA cannot be longer than the physical length??? Forgive me for my stupidity... :-P

Phileas Fogg
24th Jan 2011, 21:42
Aero Mad,

2 airports can have, let's say, identical runway lengths of 2,000m, one airport is on top of a hill, whereas everything is below airfield elevation, yet, at the other airport, some frigging idiot has built a skyscraper on the extended centre line of the runway.

Hence, take-off performance wise, an aircraft needs to perform to clear immediate obstructions, such as a skyscraper, no point in getting airborne before the runway end to fly straight in to a building, thus they have extended runway distances, such as 'TODA', to clear any immediate (pretty damn close) obstructions.

Aero Mad
24th Jan 2011, 22:35
Thanks PF, my IQ is in a very sorry state ;)

NorthSouth
25th Jan 2011, 08:13
TORA is the length of tarmacSorry to add further confusion, but even that's not necessarily true. The length of the TORA can be restricted to less than the physical length of the tarmac by, for example, the declarable limits of the runway code (e.g. if it's a Code 2 it can't be longer than 1319m) or if the Runway End Safety Areas encroach into the runway length. Southend's extended runway will be in this position.
NS

Expressflight
25th Jan 2011, 09:21
NorthSouth

Correct in that SEN will remain a Code 3C airfield by virtue of its runway width of 37m, thus limiting its declared TODA or ASDA to a maximum of 1,799m regardless of the paved runway length actually available, which will be somewhat greater.

pug
25th Jan 2011, 13:43
North and South, that is true but i was using a simplistic explanation.:ok:

cornishsimon
25th Jan 2011, 13:54
now doesnt that video look quite a bit like a slightly smaller version of the current BRS ?

Malcom
25th Jan 2011, 14:34
Are you familiar with the A127? From/to Sarfend it's a high speed road link direct in to, out of, the east end of a somewhat large town the identity of which slips my mind, the only thing(s) absent from the equation, at this time, are decent airport facilities, runway etc.

Rayleigh?
Anyway, A127 is high speed? Rayleigh to EGMC via A127 = 6 miles / 25 minutes last weekend - well impressed :D.
Lucky my skin remained attached at those speeds!

Expressflight
25th Jan 2011, 15:18
Malcom

Lane closures at Progress Road on A127 I think you'll find were the reason. The major improvement works there must be completed by March to qualify for government funding so it's causing even more chaos than such work usually does.

Otherwise average driving time SEN to/from M25 is about 25 minutes in my experience, outside of peak rush hour.

Malcom
25th Jan 2011, 15:46
The exotic trees in the central reservation look very nice. :)

NorthSouth
25th Jan 2011, 16:06
Expressflight:SEN will remain a Code 3C airfield by virtue of its runway width of 37m, thus limiting its declared TODA or ASDA to a maximum of 1,799mAppreciate you have inside knowledge here, but in my experience your strict view of the ICAO SARPs isn't necessarily shared by the CAA, who are still (well, some inspectors anyway!) applying the 10% rule, which would give SEN max declared distances of 1979m. Other airports get the dispensation (e.g. Oxford), and some are relying on it for their expansion (I'll let you speculate here), even though the UK hasn't filed any differences from Annex 14 which would justify the 10% dispensation.

NS

Buster the Bear
27th Jan 2011, 16:40
Confirmed to me today, Southend is going to turn orange!

Aero Mad
27th Jan 2011, 16:51
Great news if true :ok: Any idea where to?

virginblue
27th Jan 2011, 17:11
That's funny because when I was contemplating on the previous page which LCCs might be interested, I did not dare to mention Easyjet as I was fearing to become the laughing stock of this thread. But my intitial thought was that it would be a good idea for Easyjet to get out of STN to some extent, trying to sandwich Ryanair in a triangle LTN - SEN - LGW.

pamann
27th Jan 2011, 22:31
A good idea EZY leaving Stansted for Southend :confused:

I think you'll find it's something like their 4th largest base in the UK and serves them well. I'd hardly imagine them transferring routes to SEN, if anything they might add routes from SEN like AMS, GVA, EDI etc...

Don't forget Stansted also has a direct rail link with it's own station approx 45 mins from the centre of town, including Stratford!

Can't see the poor folk of Cambs, Herts and futher north like Norfolk/Suffolk wanting to treck across A roads to catch an Orange plane to the continent. More 'compliement' than shift IF it happens.

Barnaby the Bear
28th Jan 2011, 05:56
Don't forget Stansted also has a direct rail link with it's own station approx 45 mins from the centre of town, including Stratford!

Do you mean Stansted there, or are you referring to the brand new onsite station at Southend Airport on the Stratford/Liverpool Street line? :ok:

If the rumour is at all true, I don't think anyone has suggested they are leaving STN.

NorthSouth
28th Jan 2011, 08:14
Southend is going to turn orangeThat'll be the A319 with rocket packs then :)

NS

siftydog
28th Jan 2011, 13:33
Buster and Virgin are on track; I'm told there's an announcement to come next month.

JATO bottles not required.

pamann
29th Jan 2011, 00:59
Barnaby the Bear

No I was referring to Stansted which already has such links to Liverpool St in around 45mins as well as Stratford and many other destinations.

Expressflight
29th Jan 2011, 06:50
To get from STN to Stratford you have to change trains at Tottenham Hale and the journey time is one hour. Hardly competitive with SEN which will be direct in less than 45 minutes plus a quicker transit through the terminal to the station platform, so giving a probable total time saving of around half an hour by using SEN.

I believe the RE press release is now due on Monday.

dc9-32
29th Jan 2011, 07:10
Lets all face it, SEN will never replace STN as a main base for EZY but it can compliment it by moving some short range destinations over to SEN, such as AMS, GLA, EDI etc so as to free up slots at STN for new destinations or to increase the rotations to existing ones.

To get to STN from say central London, will be no different than going to SEN so for those who need to commute to GLA/EDI etc, may well see a slight benefit over going to STN. Less congestion for a start !

airhumberside
29th Jan 2011, 08:28
To get from STN to Stratford you have to change trains at Tottenham Hale and the journey time is one hour
Not competitive with what SEN will offer, but there is a roughly hourly Stansted Airport-Stratford service

Expressflight
29th Jan 2011, 09:51
Yes, your quite right.

I didn't look far enough into the timetable as the first direct train leaves STN at 11:03, then hourly until 17:03, then not another until 20:03, so not exactly a very useful service.

Phileas Fogg
29th Jan 2011, 10:54
National Express seem to operate every 30 minutes, day and night, between STN and Stratford and vice versa!

pamann
29th Jan 2011, 14:01
With all this talk about Stratford anyone would think it's the centre of the Universe where SEN concerned... Well it may be for the Olympics but that's just a few weeks during 2012. Other than that have you actually been there? I used to live there and can tell you it's the pits. :eek:
SEN will hopefully thrive on a much smaller scale than Stansted, but lets face it still doesn't have a runway length for anything bigger than a 737/A319 and has something called 'the sea' encroaching on it's catchment area. It's fine if you live to the north or west, Stansted and Luton however have a 360 radius when it comes to their catchment areas.
As much as I'm in favour of growth at Manston also it has the same boundries as SEN. I think some need to put things in perspective before they expect some sort of 'London' type hub that they seem to believe in.

Expressflight
29th Jan 2011, 15:19
Phileas

That's a coach service (journey time 50 minutes, so not bad) - I was referring to the train service.

Phileas Fogg
29th Jan 2011, 15:26
As I understand it Stratford is quite a significant rail interchange station, I'm aware that National Express are coaches but that's a pretty damn good way of getting to and from with something like 48 services every 30 minutes daily!

And it is the pits, before the M25 I would drive thru Stratford getting between the Blackwall Tunnel and the M11 and vice versa.

virginblue
29th Jan 2011, 15:27
Lets all face it, SEN will never replace STN as a main base for EZY but it can compliment it by moving some short range destinations over to SEN, such as AMS, GLA, EDI etc so as to free up slots at STN for new destinations or to increase the rotations to existing ones.

Is STN slot controlled? I don't think it is a problem getting slots at STN with the scale-back we have been seeing in the past 2-3 years. Realistically, sooner or later STN will be pretty much a Ryanair-only airport. airberlin has begun its move to LGW, I would not be surprised if Germanwings will move to SEN because they have replaced the Ford Shuttle to CGN that used to operate from there for many years. What else remains? A daily Ais Asia service, a bit of Aurigny and Turkish Airlines. bmibaby probably will not last long.

Phileas Fogg
29th Jan 2011, 15:50
Out of curiosity I was just having a look at train services SEN (Rochford) to Stratford ... bl00dy hell, it seems about 4 trains per hour with a journey time of less than 45 minutes!

And Stratford is a significant rail interchange station, I think it's got 3 or 4 rail stations, domestic, international, underground and docklands light railway!

Barnaby the Bear
29th Jan 2011, 22:13
Pamann,

SEN is looking to be a Regional Airport serving around 2m passengers per year by 2020.
I can see that as being realistic with the catchment area and links to the City.
Yes Stratford is one feather in the hat for next year and future Crossrail links, but so is the fact it the line takes passengers right to the heart of the City (Liverpool Street).
A 5 minute taxi ride would take you to the Second line in Southend into Fenchurch street, or the huge Tilbury Docks project under construction including the 'London Cruise terminal' (Ok I'm clutching at straws there :})

NorthSouth
31st Jan 2011, 18:46
A small start for Southend but I wish them luck. Seems to me this is far more likely to attract inbound pax to London than outbound, so maybe the next step is to venture into flights to places that London-area people might want to go and take advantage of SEN's location. Amsterdam/Rotterdam/Brussels/Ostend?

But it's all about market share, not new custom - who can they steal traffic from?

NS

Expressflight
3rd Feb 2011, 09:07
It's being reported on the Air Humberside forum that the application for Judicial Review of the planning consent for the runway extension has been dismissed by the Court on the basis that "there is no case to answer".

That's very good news if true and from enquiries I've made elsewhere this morning its seems that it probably is, although an official announcement has yet to be made.

maliyahsdad2
3rd Feb 2011, 09:46
Terminal Progressing.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs048.snc6/167865_131278720270657_130834463648416_187753_3404457_n.jpg

vulcanised
3rd Feb 2011, 11:45
That's brilliant (if hardly surprising) unconfirmed news about the judicial review. Two fingers to the tiny number of nimbys.

I live close by SEN and the only slight annoyance in my 50 years here has been occasional aircraft flutter on the TV.

Expressflight
3rd Feb 2011, 14:15
It has been confirmed by the solicitor acting for the claimant that the JR application has indeed been refused. They're still talking about the possibility of lodging an appeal though so it may not quite be all over yet.

maliyahsdad2
3rd Feb 2011, 14:32
SAEN: PRESS RELEASE: Public denied scrutiny once again as JR refused (http://www.saen.org.uk/2011/02/press-release-public-denied-scrutiny-once-again-as-jr-refused/)

:ok:

vulcanised
3rd Feb 2011, 17:06
Those people need to get their act together.

On the one hand they are warning about jets screaming overhead every five minutes, but then go on to say that predicted passenger numbers figures are wildly inflated.

Empty jets screaming overhead?

Phileas Fogg
3rd Feb 2011, 17:49
That's funny, so when these SAEN people take their holidays from STN, LGW, LHR etc. do they give a rats @ss that they may be, quote, "destroying the lives of the people living, working or going to school anywhere near the flightpath"?

Nope, SAEN want airports, air travel etc, as it as it's plonked in somebody else's backyard and not their own.

LTNman
3rd Feb 2011, 18:27
That terminal looks a tad small:eek:

Barnaby the Bear
3rd Feb 2011, 19:54
I believe it is only the first phase.

"The terminal will be constructed in two phases and will initially have five aircraft stands before being expanded to provide a further five (compared to 70 at Stansted) and cater predominantly for existing local demand. The airport will have a new rail station with fast and frequent services to Southend itself, neighbouring communities and direct to London. Overall, a further £18 million will be spent on infrastructure improvements at the airport."

Source: www.flysouthend2012.com

Expressflight
4th Feb 2011, 14:41
The photograph posted by maliyahsdad2 makes the new terminal look rather smaller that it actually is. Looking from the side of the structure, rather than end-on, it looks of appropriate size for Phase 1.

By the way, if anyone wants to see the Court Judgement for the Judicial Review it is available at Seaside News Seaside News | keeping you informed, getting your comments (http://cllrwaite.wordpress.com/)
The name of the Applicant, which seems so far to have been shrouded in some mystery, is also shown.

HeliAl
6th Feb 2011, 11:27
Having just driven past the new terminal construction, it certainly looks small, not much bigger than a old RAF hanger.

I wonder if the proposed new operator is aware that the ILS will be off line until at least MAY, and that the security issues such as having a public footpath running across a taxiway have not been resolved.

I even wonder if the main company that operate big green and red lorries is aware that they are being lead up the garden path by the management from the airport.

Feathering of beds comes to mind:(

airferries
6th Feb 2011, 11:55
I'm sure Aer Arann is fully aware of the ILS situation. I admit the situation is less than desirable, but RE operate quite adequately from many Irish regional airports such as Sligo without ILS. Anyway, as per the most recent NOTAM, the ILS will return mid April.
The new terminal will be a vast improvement on the current facilities, and is only the first stage. It is small, however that should be a selling point rather than a detriment wile offering expeditious aircraft to train times.
I can't see there being a great issue about the public footpath running across taxiway delta. It is in an uncontrolled area and is isolated by barriers to the main part of the airfield.
Stobart are providing long overdue investment to SEN, subsequently offering fantastic prospects for the airport. I can’t understand why others on this forum are so negative about it all.

vulcanised
6th Feb 2011, 14:31
That is a peculiar post from HeliAl, wonder if there's some sour grapes in there?

I believe the new terminal is in a different location to the old terminal, and wonder perhaps there are plans for separate arrivals/departures terminals at some point?

Skipness One Echo
6th Feb 2011, 16:00
That's funny, so when these SAEN people take their holidays from STN, LGW, LHR

These are existing major airports. The plans intend to make Southend something of another major airport, an alternative to the above, a competitor. I am pro aviation, but in the right place. We didn't really NEED Coventry, (doesn't this all look similar?) to handle scheduled flights, do we really want Southend to grow?

Does it fit in the strategic business model? No, but mainly because the UK doesn't have one..... Be serious, a working airport is a step up from a sleepy airfield, and I sympathise with a fair number of people who will, undeniably have their every day lives blighted by aircraft noise. It doesn't help our case to dismiss these people and deny these facts. NIMBYs under LHR and LGW have been there less time than the airports, that's hardly the case here.

Expressflight
6th Feb 2011, 16:16
Skipness One Echo

Your last sentence shows, I regret to say, your obvious ignorance of SEN's history and activity levels over the past few decades. In the 1980s, to take just one example, there were some 30 nightly freight movements ranging from Electra and Viscounts down to piston twins. So it wasn't exactly "a sleepy airfield"! The past few years have seen a lower level of activity, but that's all. Nearly all the housing that is affected by aircraft noise has been bought by its current owners while SEN has been a relatively busy airfield with quite a bit of heavy metal activity.

A lot of the sour grapes on here are simply a result of fears from some that other London airports are going to feel the (slight) impact that SEN will have on their levels of traffic.

sawtooth
6th Feb 2011, 18:14
I'm sure Aer Arann is fully aware of the ILS situation. I admit the situation is less than desirable, but RE operate quite adequately from many Irish regional airports such as Sligo without ILS.

A lot of stranded passengers may not agree, truth is even with ILS RE have cancelled flights all through winter at several Irish airports, though it's probably as much to do with staff and aircraft availability as ATR weather sensativity.

pabely
6th Feb 2011, 18:32
Expressflight - I'm sue all the other London Airports are quivering in there shoes. :yuk:
History is history, I wish Southend luck but come 2012 & the Olympics, it will be mostly forgotten. All the potential European traffic will use Eurostar.

Skipness One Echo
6th Feb 2011, 20:42
Your last sentence shows, I regret to say, your obvious ignorance of SEN's history and activity levels over the past few decades

Thanks but I am pretty much aware of the airfield from Channel Airways to the present via British Air Ferries. It's never really been a commercial success. I was not aware that there were THIRTY freight flights per night in recent years and resident BAF / BWL went bust over a decade ago. I think it's fair to rephrase then.

From a hectic past with Carvairs and Viscounts, in recent years Southend has been known for maintenance movements and a weekly flybe Dash 8 to Jersey. It's fair to Stobart is intent on changing that big time. Consequently that will have a rather large impact on the community, many of whom didn't bank on having an international airport on their doorstop.

Phileas Fogg
6th Feb 2011, 23:09
Skipness,

Even with a weekly flight to Jersey these people already have an international airport on their doorstep ..... Jersey is not in the European Union!

MUFC_fan
7th Feb 2011, 00:30
All the potential European traffic will use Eurostar.

I somehow doubt almost every European airline will agree with you on that one...

Even with a weekly flight to Jersey these people already have an international airport on their doorstep ..... Jersey is not in the European Union!

I don't mean to be picky but any flight from one EU country to another is international. Also, SEN-JER is, although not technically. Classed as a domestic flight.

Tagron
7th Feb 2011, 00:36
Skipness One Echo, Expressflight

Go back even further, to the early 1960s and you will find that :

- Southend was the second busiest airport in the UK in terms of total annual movements (and yes that included the Municipal Flying School movements).
- Southend handled the second or third greatest annual total of freight tonnage of UK airports.
- Southend was well up in the league of annual passenger statistics for UK airports
- Southend-Ostend was claimed to be the busiest international air route in the world! (Only in summer no doubt)
- The airport was profitable and hence unique among UK municipal airports of the time. LTN management even came to SEN to examine its success.

The great majority of movements were by piston-engined aircraft. DC-3, DC-4, DC-6,Carvair, B170, Viking, Argonaut,supplemented by visiting C46, Convair, Constellation, Hermes. These were all very noisy,flew at low level over residential areas and generated serious complaints in the town. Viscounts and F27s represented an improvement. Then came the Channel Airways BAC1-11 which was an unmitigated environmental disaster.

Some may argue this is too long ago to be of consequence. Fair enough. The commercial aviation scene is quite different now. The point is that many years ago Southend Corporation transformed their sleepy grass airfield into a significant airport by a modest investment. Now it only takes a modest (in airport terms) investment by Stobart to transform its prospects once again. I really don’t believe that local residents have any justification in thinking that could never happen.

No-one likes contemplating a development that appears to be detrimental to their own interests. Airports, motorways, industrial activities, football stadiums - these all attract ferocious opposition. . The important issue is that due and proper process takes place. There will always be winners and losers.

LTNman
7th Feb 2011, 04:13
From little acorns grow might oaks come to mind. Ok Southend is hemmed in a bit and the terminal will be small but an airline like easyjet could move 3 or 4 aircraft out of say Luton to set up a base at Southend which would have a big impact on Luton’s passenger figures.

Coventry has been mentioned why Southend could struggle but then look at how Belfast Harbour has taken business away from Belfast’s main airport. Ok this might be a bad comparison as Harbour is a city airport but with its own railway station Southend could well provide a few surprises.

Expressflight
7th Feb 2011, 07:30
Just for the record, the new terminal currently under construction apparently has a floor area of 4,500 sq.m. and the plan is to extend that by a further 4,500 sq.m. as traffic builds up - which seems a perfectly sensible way to go about it. I don't know the size of either the SOU or the new BOH terminal by comparison.

As far as the "will it work, won't it work" argument for SEN is concerned, only time will tell. I do know that the amount of serious interest shown by both large and small carriers is at the top end of the SEN management's expectations and further route/airline announcements can be expected by the Spring.

To keep things in perspective, we're talking about a maximum of only 2mppa by 2020 and you have only to look at the map shown at the start of the terminal CGI video to see the obvious logic of having an airport of that capacity East of London.

The ILS has had to be withdrawn due to work in progress on the new link road in the area adjacent to the localiser, but it will be replaced by a much better system in the Spring which, together with improved approach and centreline lighting plus IRVR, will allow a considerable reduction in OCH compared to the previous situation.

virginblue
7th Feb 2011, 07:43
I don't really understand the criticism here. Just let the free market work it out. As far as I understand, no public money is being burned, so let them try. Being fed up with Stansted Lager Lout International Airport and faced with ever increasing costs of flights to/from London City Pinstripe Airport, I certainly would give SEN a try if an airline served it from somewhere near my place and I have business to do in the City or the north and east of London.

Skipness One Echo
7th Feb 2011, 09:16
The criticism is that we don't have a proper strategic UK airport policy. We have taxpayer funded infrastrucure at the old BAA airports that is now creaking well beyond it's original design. See ABZ, EDI, not so much GLA, certainly LGW and only with massive recent investment is LHR starting to work again. STN is really nice but underused.

Look at the scattering of infrastructure. MAN is struggling partly as it's old catchment area was fragmented by the rise of LBA and LPL so people could fly locally. I would say that MAN would be a much better travelling experience without LBA and LPL snapping at it's heels. Did the Midlands really need Coventry? A central Scotland airport plugged into the railway network *could* serve both Edinburgh and Glasgow, with EDI's terminal facilities and road network now pre comedy as they bear no relation to the original layout.

The newer airports are loco friendly but cannot charge the market rate to the airlines like Ryanair who would happily fly from a tent if they could get away with it. Hence over time, we get second rate infrastructure, often cheap and crumbling at many of our airports which is then added to in adhoc haphazard ways.

The South East needs to make proper use of existing infrastructure. Instead we use the buzzwords "local solutions" and suddenly we are looking at having another major airport wanting to serve London? No other country has so many major airports squeezed into such a small piece of airspace.

The reason I don't like this is I used to live near London City. For a few years the Fokker 50s were quiet, the 146s barely noticeable. Now we have the A318 and the ERJ170/190 and by God there's a VERY noticeable difference even in these quiet and modern aircraft. A max power sitting on the brakes departure on the A318 is *not* a quiet background noise.

People were always told "just quiet turboprops" like the DASH 7, we're only going back 30 years to the dock not having an airfield at all. Like 99% of these promises they're utter lies. I love using LCY as a customer but I can't be blind to the real and increasing noise effect it is having year on year. Should SEN be succesful, exactly the same thing will happen I think. Hence if we're going to p*** people off and make them angry, we do it in the right places. Runway 3 at LHR and put in the effort and infrastructure to make it work. As I say that would require a coherent aviation strategy, something the coalition appears not to have.

virginblue
7th Feb 2011, 10:53
LCY is a specific case as it was built from scratch in the 1980s and initially only saw service with ultra-quiet aircraft such as the Dahs 7 or the BAe 146.

SEN, however, has seen service with thundering Channel Airways BAC1-11 and whining BAF Heralds in the past five decades, with all kinds of noisy MRO customers up to Boeing 707s making a regular appearance as well. So the odd scheduled movements with modern aircraft does not really make a difference - unless you feel that people living around any airport can demand that an airport shall never recover from under-utilisation.

As for the lack of a coherent airport policy, I don't really see the point as you can blame the politicans for the lack of it, but not really an airport such as SEN. The airports are run as private enterprises, so it's up to the airport to develop its business.

Phileas Fogg
7th Feb 2011, 15:04
Coventry has more obstacles than Southend should ever have, as I understand it CVT is locked in planning permission politics, to develop CVT needs a decent and modern terminal but can't get the planning permission to build one.

Besides that ..... it's 10 or 15 minutes (ish) down a dual carriageway from an under utilised BHX!

Expressflight
11th Feb 2011, 10:04
Major upgrading of the lighting and drainage of SEN's existing runway begins next week, resulting in 6 weeks of nightly closure from 20:00 to 08:00.
The existing runway will also be resurfaced, which will involve three total closure periods:
Friday 4/3 12:00 until Monday 7/3 12:00
Friday 11/3 12:00 until Monday 14/3 12:00
Friday 18/3 12:00 until Monday 21/3 12:00

Captinbirdseye
17th Feb 2011, 20:03
Anymore news on EZY going into SEN? Seems to have gone a little bit quiet?

CPT BE

maliyahsdad2
24th Feb 2011, 10:35
taken from a post on another forum,
The link below is to a video made by Bloomberg's Poppy Trowbridge
about the efforts to revitalize London's Southend airport as it seeks a share of the 2012 Olympic flyers

eF0x4P482FM

vulcanised
24th Feb 2011, 16:49
Some people will try anything.....

Church wall could delay Southend Airport expansion (From Echo) (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/8868481.Church_wall_could_delay_Southend_Airport_expansion/)

Note that the owners of the wall are quite satisfied with arrangements, it's just the outsiders (total membership of SAEN?) who are causing trouble.

maliyahsdad2
25th Feb 2011, 12:10
now something else!

Inquiry called into road closure for Southend Airport runway extension (From Echo) (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/8876807.Inquiry_called_into_road_closure_for_Southend_Airpor t_runway_extension/)

HZ123
25th Feb 2011, 15:09
I think we will have to wait and see. It is hardly the best times to be in any form of aviation - airports and airlines still posting large losses and even when they make money the loans still have to be paid.

With such limited access I cannot see it ever being particularly busy. As someone who has been around the area a mere 10 years - most of the SEN access is poor and the closure and re-positioning of the road at the runway end will make little difference.

A few threaders have made reference to LCY and I believe it may take SEN the same 20 years LCY took to get established.

vulcanised
25th Feb 2011, 16:56
Certainly won't be overnight, or during the few days of the Olympics which are much hyped but I believe almost totally insignificant to the future of SEN.

HZ123
26th Feb 2011, 12:27
More to the point what will become of the 'Vulcan '. Not razor blades I hope ?

Buster the Bear
28th Feb 2011, 14:30
Paris which lost the decision to host the Olympics is heavily marketing it's hotels as a cheap alternative to staying in London. I am told it will be cheaper to stay in Paris and fly in and out of the London area, as to stay close to various Games sites.

No idea which airports will host these flights, but Southend must be an obvious choice?

LGS6753
28th Feb 2011, 19:11
There's always a lot of hype about the Olympics. Let's face it, they last about two weeks and are far easier and cheaper to watch on television.
The Paris marketing people sound seriously deluded to me - I'm sure there will be plenty of high summer availability in business-type hotels around London (Reading, Crawley, Luton, Enfield and numerous other places), to say nothing of Southend-on-Sea itself.
Why anyone would fly from Paris to London to watch the tiddlywinks is beyond me!
Equally, airports and airlines planning their salvation based on two weeks of anything should be reviewing their management strategy.

HZ123
28th Feb 2011, 19:33
Exactly say nothing of Sothend as there is hardly anywhere to stay there !

Hollymead
1st Mar 2011, 11:49
I am told it will be cheaper to stay in Paris and fly in and out of the London area, as to stay close to various Games sites.

That would happen if we was talking about the Football or Rugby World Cups but never for the Olympics .

LGS6753 is spot on .

vulcanised
4th Mar 2011, 11:45
SEN is currently closed to all traffic.

All I have managed to hear is that this is due to work being carried out., but what work, and for how long has not been mentioned.

asdf1234
4th Mar 2011, 12:53
Q) EGTT/QFALC/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5134N00042E005
B) FROM: 11/03/04 12:00C) TO: 11/03/21 12:00
E) AD CLOSED DUE RWY WIP. NO ACFT MOVEMENTS PERMITTED.
SCHEDULE: FRI 1200-MON 1200

I believe it is to closed to allow for installation of improved runway lighting including centreline lighting.

Expressflight
4th Mar 2011, 14:39
See post 609.

vulcanised
4th Mar 2011, 16:55
How right you are! Don't know why but I misremembered that as April closures.

Good job a certain airline don't have a presence there - we might have folk knocking on doors offering to resurface the drive with tarmac 'left over from a job round the corner'.

skyfish2
4th Mar 2011, 23:03
If they take as long as they have on the A127,and town centre"improvements" it will be closed ad infinitum,only way to improve southend would be to flatten it(the town that is)

Phileas Fogg
4th Mar 2011, 23:17
Congratulations on a unique trick SEN & Stobart's ..... extend a runway but just not quite long enough for Irish registered B737-800's to come polluting your nice new shiny airport.

Has the airfield got any room for potato fields? If so then concrete these areas over and be PDQ about it. :)

EGMC81
17th Mar 2011, 09:11
I posted an idea on the easyjet section of the Get satisfaction website some time ago. The idea was replied to by a member of easyjet staff and then subsequently removed. This prompted local news paper reports to qoute the easyjet official response along with the leader of the anti-expansion group SAEN making a few comments of his own.

I very much enjoyed the effect my idea had had so posted it again. This promted a different treply and remains on the website. However, this time the page has the line added that the company has implemented this suggestion????

Continuing the rumous, does this mean we will see the white and orange airbus's in and out of Southend? I hope so anyway!

EGMC81
17th Mar 2011, 09:21
Here are those links:

www.saen.org.uk/2010/08/easyjet-unlikely-to-use-southend-airport (http://www.saen.org.uk/2010/08/easyjet-unlikely-to-use-southend-airport)

www.echo-news.co.uk/.../8368919.EasyJet____unlikely____to_fly_into_Southend (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/.../8368919.EasyJet____unlikely____to_fly_into_Southend)

www.basildonrecorder.co.uk/.../Southend...(southend.../8368919.EasyJet____unlikely____to_fly_into_Southend/ (http://www.basildonrecorder.co.uk/.../Southend...(southend.../8368919.EasyJet____unlikely____to_fly_into_Southend/)

And my new post on the get satisfaction website:

Great prospects at London Southend Airport! (http://getsatisfaction.com/easyjet/topics/great_prospects_at_london_southend_airport)

Buster the Bear
17th Mar 2011, 15:14
According to my information which has come from 2 reliable sources, the chances are high. As with everything and this is a rumour network, this could change.

NorthernCounties
17th Mar 2011, 16:12
Just a random question... does anyone know what the cost of the train station at Southend was?

Expressflight
17th Mar 2011, 16:22
Reportedly £12.5 million.

NorthernCounties
17th Mar 2011, 16:59
Cheers for that Expressflight!

NorthSouth
17th Mar 2011, 21:28
Continuing the rumous, does this mean we will see the white and orange airbus's in and out of Southend? I hope so anyway!Have you looked at the declarable runway lengths that Southend will have after the runway extension is completed? There is no way Easyjet will operate on those distances so you should not get your hopes up.
NS

airferries
17th Mar 2011, 22:03
The airport believes that it is possible for A319s to operate 1000nm sectors from the extended runway. Why would 'NorthSouth' know any better? The runway extension is proving to be an extremely difficult and also costly affair. Why would a company as prudent as Stobart be incorrect with their expectations for aircraft performance on the extended runway?

Phileas Fogg
17th Mar 2011, 23:42
airferries,

Did Stobart really decide upon the new runway dimensions based upon the aircraft type that one particular airline operates?

If so then Stobart made one hell of a mistake ... Once upon a time UK had a thriving airliner production industry, but they produced to BEA/BOAC requirements whilst the Yanks produced to worldwide requirements ..... precisely how many VC10's sold in comparison to how many B707's & DC8's sold?

A 1,000 mile range might suit an amount of LCC routes but it pretty much rules out a mainstream IT operator moving in .... "Yes, we can operate to Spain on Saturdays and Wednesdays but you can rule out Canaries, Greece, Cyprus, North Africa etc. on the other days of the week cos the runway ain't long enough!"

But NorthSouth does seem to have a bee in his bonnet, a grudge to bear!

Expressflight
18th Mar 2011, 07:45
I believe the physical length of the runway extension was limited to that which would still allow a 240m RESA beyond it and this produced distances which happened to coincide with the maximum declared TODA of 1,799m for a Code 3C runway, which its 37m width dictates it must remain. The actual paved length will be 1,937m

I've understood for some time that Easyjet regard a TODA of 1,800m as their minimum for normal operations, while ops into airfields with less than that are for ad hoc ops only, with the Captain as PF. Perhaps someone at Easyjet can confirm if that is true.

I'm sure there are many destinations within 1,000nm that they would find commercially attractive.

maliyahsdad2
18th Mar 2011, 08:32
posted by Humberside on the airhumberside site a little while ago.

-------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone's interested within a 1200nm range is Iceland, Romania, Bulgaria, Corfu, Tunisia and Morocco
Great Circle Mapper (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=1200nm%40SEN)

Within a 1000nm range, most of Western Europe can be reached, but Helsinki, Croatia and Sicilly are about the limit. Very little of Northern Africa can be reached
Great Circle Mapper (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=1000nm%40SEN)

And taking the middle of Expressflight's estinmate, 1100nm, the range limits appears to Minsk, Albania and Northern Morocco. Map isn't the clearest but Corfu may just be within range
Great Circle Mapper (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=1100nm%40SEN)
Read more: Air Humberside Forums - Theoretical Aircraft range from SEN (http://airhumberside.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=southend&action=display&thread=1131#ixzz1GwE2qo6i)

Phileas Fogg
18th Mar 2011, 09:22
Expressflight,

Sure there are many LCC routes within 1,000NM (ish) but to develop such a base an airline is likely to want the facility to develop it as much as poosible by offering a broadest spectrum of routes from it's route network.

Furthermore, EZY already has two north London (ish) bases, both will full facilities and both can serve as an alternate for each other, do they need a third north of London (ish) base and/or do they move from one of those existing bases to SEN which may only serve as an alternate for the other base in the event that the aircraft's next destination is less than 1,000NM (ish) away?

The answer to all of these could be "yes" but why should it be "yes" when SEN simply can't provide the flexibility that an existing base already provides?

Expressflight
18th Mar 2011, 14:08
I'm not sure anyone has actually suggested that Easyjet will establish a base at SEN, and I'm certainly not privvy to their thoughts on the matter.

I can't see them moving from either LTN or STN to SEN but they may see it offering additional opportunities; not least because it offers the unique advantage of ensuring there is no direct competition from Ryanair.

By the way, SEN lies directly East of London, not North (ish).

Phileas Fogg
18th Mar 2011, 14:53
Expressflight,

I've never travelled, nor had any thought of travelling, with EZY thus I'm somewhat ignorant of their route structure etc. but I'm guessing that some destinations are served from LTN, different destinations served from STN, and some destinations served from both LTN and STN.

So what are they meant to do out of SEN? Any routes they move from STN (or LTN) will allow the opportunity for a competitor to fill the breach and were they to duplicate some already served destinations from LTN/STN to SEN then they'd be splitting the passengers within very similar catchment areas which, I'm estimating, would result in lower, all round, load factors.

I'd have thought the new SEN would be better off attracting close continent flag carrier regional, CRJ, AvroRJ, Fokker/Embraer regional jets etc, aircraft operations in to SEN to offer services to the close continent and for onward worldwide connections, this is the sort of traffic most UK regional airports offer so why not SEN?

LGS6753
18th Mar 2011, 16:17
Phileas,

Your logic looks reasonable, but why would an operator of "CRJ, AvroRJ, Fokker/Embraer regional jets" risk SEN as its London terminus when LCY has a much more affluent, closer and larger catchment?

I realize that it is slot-restricted and expensive, but the expense would be offset by higher fares, and slots are presumably available outside peak times (and what would peak times be at Southend?).

Expressflight
18th Mar 2011, 16:41
Phileas

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if/when Easyjet make an announcement. I do agree with you on your second point and several of those sorts of route are at the late planning stage.

LGS6753

As you say, the greater expense of using LCY is offset by higher fares. That surely would give other operators a competitive edge by using SEN, where the lower costs (including reduced flight times) would allow lower fares to be offered. The problem with LCY only having slots available off-peak is that many routes demand peak-time scheduling for the London inbound market, so SEN becomes a viable alternative for early morning and late afternoon arrivals/departures, whose peak times will be the same as for LCY.

There is also, of course, considerable catchment area overlap between LCY & SEN. For a number of smaller European carriers, while LCY may be ideal theoretically, SEN is now starting to be viewed as a very acceptable alternative London arrival point.

Phileas Fogg
18th Mar 2011, 17:31
LSG,

Well for an 'out of towner' to travel to/from LCY by surface can be a pain in the butt and if SEN prices, both to the operator and the passengers, might be cheaper than LCY, which can't take too much traffic due to the size of the place, then why should LCY maintain any monopoly?

I was referring, by those aircraft types, to such operators as KLM, Lufty, Swiss, Air France, SAS, Austrian etc.

Operators like to develop routes, i.e. they start off a route with smaller aircraft in hope that it will develop to larger aircraft ..... one can't do too much developing in/out of LCY! :)

panjandrum
21st Mar 2011, 18:15
I hear that the new control tower has now gone live. Well done to all at Southend and Stobart Air involved in this project- it was a long time coming, but worth the wait!:ok::D

irish laddie
21st Mar 2011, 19:39
Does anybody local to SEN know what the story is with the new train station. It's all very well to say theres 8 trains to London etc, but to have the National Rail website still not showing times for SEN is fustrating to say the least.

It's now 2 return trips to Ireland I've booked where I coulden't even consider SEN. Just diden't want to risk landing next Monday night to start a cross London trek only to find the station doors locked...

Phileas Fogg
21st Mar 2011, 19:55
irish laddie,

If you look at train times to/from Rochford that's about one minute up the line from SEN.

airferries
21st Mar 2011, 20:16
At present the new railway station is about half a mile from the current terminal building, and shuttle buses will be needed to transport passengers from the current terminal. However there has been a slight delay to the opening of the new station, so the shuttle buses will initially go to Rochford station which is only 1 1/2 miles away.
The new station should be open very shortly (certainly before the summer), which is directly in front of the new terminal which is still on target to open on October 1st.
I admit the current situation is less than perfect, but the whole experience should be no worse than at Luton, with the far shorter processing times at Southend. At least the shuttle buses are free, unlike Luton.

irish laddie
21st Mar 2011, 20:28
Thanks for the update airferries, phileas,

the whole experience should be no worse than at Luton

Depends on your perspective I guess!

Expressflight
22nd Mar 2011, 08:03
As Airferries says, even the airport station will need a shuttle bus transfer until October when the new terminal opens so the use of Rochford station won't add more than about 10 minutes to getting onto the train. Mind you, they need to make sure pax planning to use the train know what the procedure is for the time being.

The two shuttle buses were delivered to SEN yesterday by the way.

Buster the Bear
22nd Mar 2011, 22:01
With the massive hike in aviation fuel, now around £1200 per tonne, anything could happen including easyJet aspirations?

LEWIS APPLEBY
23rd Mar 2011, 11:15
Surely it is a little premature to expect to hear whether Easyjet will operate from SEN, as although the runway extension has been agreed by the cuncil and the government work has not started on the actual extension, only on related works, and to refurbish the existing runway, which now has a new surface and centreline lighting, and I believe local protestors have unfortunately won the right to a public enquiry into the road closure and/or diversion which is to take place to enable the extension to be completed.

NorthSouth
23rd Mar 2011, 14:54
PF:NorthSouth does seem to have a bee in his bonnet, a grudge to bearNo bee, and no grudge, just a concern that some people seem to get lured away from the facts as soon as low-cost operators are mentioned. Take Expressflight's point that Easyjet regard a TODA of 1,800m as their minimum for normal operationsthen look at the shortest runways they operate from in the UK:
Aberdeen TODA 2030 and 2040
Inverness TODA 1970 and 2037
Isle of Man TODA 2057 and 2815
Belfast City TODA 1917 and 2029

Then look at Southend's 1799 and 1799.

And in case you might still regard this as some kind of grudge against Southend, let me say that I think they can still attract commercial services with smaller aircraft - twin turboprops, E175 etc.

NS

dc9-32
23rd Mar 2011, 16:17
Or even easyJet A318's :rolleyes:

Expressflight
23rd Mar 2011, 16:26
NS

I don't actually see that quoting a few TODAs in excess of 1,799m from which Easyjet currently operate negates the possibility of them operating from SEN's extended runway.

If someone comes on here who really knows if that is insufficient to meet their SOP requirements then I'll take notice.

As LEWIS APPLEBY says, let's not expect them to make any announcement until there is certainty on when the extended runway will be finished. The road 'stopping up' Public Inquiry is expected to last just a couple of days in May and shouldn't be a major problem. The local opposition group's Judicial Review hearing is scheduled for 6th April I believe.

Musket90
23rd Mar 2011, 21:21
LEWIS - The runway centreline lights are not yet installed. This will happen when the runway is extended.

Phileas Fogg
23rd Mar 2011, 22:41
Regardless of who the operator may be an A319 will be able to operate in/out of the planned new SEN, larger aircraft operate in/out of shorter runways around Europe, whether SEN's aircraft will be painted in an orange & white livery remains to be seen and something I, personally, have my doubts regarding.

NorthSouth ..... With your wealth of knowledge are you categorically stating that, let us say, a Spanish operator will not be able to operate an Airbus or a Boeing PMI/SEN/PMI and/or BCN/SEN/BCN etc?

LEWIS APPLEBY
24th Mar 2011, 13:08
Thanks for the info

NorthSouth
24th Mar 2011, 17:06
PF:are you categorically stating that, let us say, a Spanish operator will not be able to operate an Airbus or a Boeing PMI/SEN/PMI and/or BCN/SEN/BCN etc?All depends on their willingness to accept performance limitations. There are of course some examples e.g. Spanair A320s operating out of Southampton. In addition to the runway length Southend has quite a few obstacles under the climb-outs from both runways which are likely to be a factor.
NS

Phileas Fogg
24th Mar 2011, 17:12
NorthSouth,

Are you withdrawing, then, your earlier critism(s) something to do with rockets being required for an Airbus, or similar, to operate out of SEN?

NorthSouth
25th Mar 2011, 11:40
PF:Are you withdrawing, then, your earlier critism(s) something to do with rockets being required for an Airbus, or similar, to operate out of SENThat was a throw-away comment but it was specifically about claims that Easyjet were about to move into Southend. As you have said yourself:
whether SEN's aircraft will be painted in an orange & white livery remains to be seen and something I, personally, have my doubts regardingso I don't see there is much disagreement between us.

Of course if you make it light enough an Airbus or any other aircraft can get into all sorts of short runways (including the current Southend, when coming in empty for maintenance, painting etc). But the question is whether you can operate with an economically viable payload.

NS

Phileas Fogg
25th Mar 2011, 12:15
NorthSouth,

My personal opinion is based on commercial reasons, your personal opinion is based on, exaggerated, operational reason whereas you make throw away comment(s) that a (full of pax) Airbus will need rockets to get airborne out of the planned new SEN.

Tagron
26th Mar 2011, 09:04
I had hoped that someone could provide SEN runway specific data for the A319, but no such luck it seems. Rather belatedly I have managed to access the A319 Airplane Characteristics document on the Airbus website. The A319 take off performance charts here are somewhat vague in that they refer only to “runway length” and there is an anomaly in that the ISA+15 figures appear less restrictive than the ISA figures. Have the charts been transposed ? Or do the figures refer to variants operating to different maximum thrust levels ? It is not clear.

However, even with these caveats there is useful guidance here. Enter a runway length of 1750m and pressure altitude of 1000ft (a very conservative figure for SEN in summer) and we find that:
At ISA the maximum take off weight, performance limited, is 69.5 tonnes.
At ISA+15 the maximum take off weight, performance limited, is 71.3 tonnes.
Both approximate and not forgetting the anomaly above.

Reduce the runway length to 1500m (as an arbitrary artificial means of allowing for factors that we cannot properly evaluate) and these figures become 66.8T and 68.6T. That is another very conservative assumption.

Now look at the maximum certificated take off weights. The EZY aircraft are mainly 64T,though I understand some are 68T. BA A319s operate to 68T. In other words the 64T aircraft will not be performance weight restricted at SEN, the 68T version may also be unrestricted. So payload/range considerations are a function of aircraft type variant, not the runway.

The second segment climb may or may not be more restrictive than the other parameters such as TODA or max certificated TOW. It can only be evaluated by running the data. The most limiting of the parameters can change with differing ambient conditions and different TOWs. The operators' "performance engineers" can have various ways of alleviating the effects if necessary, such as scheduling an emergency turn.

And if a company really has a policy of operating only from greater than 1800m TODA but it considers it commercially attractive to operate from the 1799m declared at SEN, then a pragmatic solution to the missing 1 metre should surely present itself, especially as the “real” TODA is well in excess of 1800m.

It seems to me entirely reasonable that EZY should have looked at SEN and considered their options. Whether they decide to go ahead will be I suspect a commercial decision based on macroeconomic factors especially the UK economy, and company specific issues, such as the desirability or otherwise of establishing a new south east UK operation.

I have no view on the outcome. It is however clear enough that the extended runway at SEN will support a good portfolio of European routes by medium size aircraft.

Phileas Fogg
26th Mar 2011, 11:07
Tagron,

Google identified this:

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-293041.html

The A319, well ours at easyjet are about 41000 kg dry operating weight, thats with 156 seats, so with a different seating capacity that would be lower.

I appreciate that Tagron was answering to an ongoing disagreement but you guys do need to get away from a specific aircraft type operated by a specific operator, has this rumour emerged from the operator themselves then I'd expect it to have been followed up upon by now, I'd speculate this rumour was started by an over enthusiastic aircraft spotter and/or SEN airport worker.

There are small to medium size Airbus's, small to medium size Boeings, I understand B757's to have operated in/out of SOU before now, there are these Embraer regionals to be operating Scotland to/from Greek Islands, so Spain/Portugal would be a walk in the park, there are so many different opportunities for SEN to develop so, PLEASE, move on from A319's :)

Nubrawarriors
27th Mar 2011, 09:37
just witnessed the first two inbound and outbound flights from Southend.

Regards Phil

Steviec9
27th Mar 2011, 10:18
Good luck to SEN and the new flights starting today. Here's some archive footage of the airport in the 50's and late 60's for those that are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOiDcGUZ2CA

ericlday
27th Mar 2011, 12:01
What were loads like on the new Arann services ?

Jamie2k9
27th Mar 2011, 14:41
Very good for the first day of service.

Waterford flights inbound and outbound for today have 66 - 70 on all of them today. (70 full flight)

Galway is more less the same but tonights Southend - Galway has less.

Very few seats left on Luton flights. Most flights are sold out until early May.

EI-WAT
27th Mar 2011, 16:30
Spreading a bit more BS there Jamie how can the flights have between 66-70 on each when EI-EHH is the aircraft operating the routes??

Nubrawarriors
27th Mar 2011, 19:38
outstanding.

Regards Phil

Jamie2k9
27th Mar 2011, 22:30
Spreading a bit more BS there Jamie how can the flights have between 66-70 on each when EI-EHH is the aircraft operating the routes??

I didn't realise it was a ATR42. I fly between Waterford - London about 6 times a year and it is always an ATR 72 (EI-REI). Is the ATR42 set to stay all summer or will the ATR 72 return.

22/04
28th Mar 2011, 12:17
Tried to look up arrivals and departures on the SEN website last night and couldn't find it-had to look at the Irish web sites to check flight status. Did I miss it or isn't it there?

LTN-GWY had SLN on it yesterday so I take it the GWY was a '72 and WAT a '42?:

vulcanised
28th Mar 2011, 16:47
The website is one area where they could improve their performance.

It often seems to be last on the list of things to be done.

LTNman
28th Mar 2011, 18:32
Very good for the first day of service.

Waterford flights inbound and outbound for today have 66 - 70 on all of them today. (70 full flight)

Wonder how many of those passengers flew to Southend because they couldn't fly to LTN

RE-tard
28th Mar 2011, 19:16
Loads on Southend have been around the 30 mark for yesterday and today and no way near the 66-70 being quotated earlier.

Waterford has been reduced to an ATR42 base so Southend, Birmingham, Lorient and Manchester will be operated by an ATR42 and Luton with a Galway based ATR72.

REX

OZAZTEC
29th Mar 2011, 23:09
Stevic9 - that archive was fantastic,

Many Thanks, keep them coming !

Paul :ok:

maliyahsdad2
11th Apr 2011, 11:14
Legal challenge to Southend Airport runway extension fails (From Echo) (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/8966608.Legal_challenge_to_Southend_Airport_runway_extension _fails/)

pug
13th Apr 2011, 11:02
A tenuous link I know, but a promo video of the terminal in the Southend Echo showed adverts for Bmibaby on posters in the renders.

With Bmibaby closing two bases and opening a new one at BHD, there will be at least two aircraft free... They claim they are to increase presence at BHX, yet there has been no announcement as yet.

SENFLYER
13th Apr 2011, 16:15
BMI Baby have just started a Stansted - Belfast City route using a 733.
I would have thought if they were going to use Southend they wouldn't be starting new routes from Stansted now. But I would like to be proved wrong.

willy wombat
14th Apr 2011, 12:03
I've just had the chance to look at the archive footage posted above. Great stuff AND I had the luck to be invited by BWA on (one of the several) last flights of the Viscount. I was on the same one as the Mayor of Southend and we went so far up the Thames at low level I was starting to expect LHR to appear. Wonderful memory. More footage please!

Guest 112233
14th Apr 2011, 14:44
The howl of those RR Darts - A Viscount was the first type that I flew in but not from Southend - The early part of the film shows what was described as an approach radar aid - to me it looked like a microwave dish on a rotating mount - Any ideas as to what it was ? - Yes we had an Ecko Radio as a kid -very good it was too LW/MW and FM early '60's - A final one, did anyone spot that Microphone/Hairdrier/Fridge defrosting Apparatus that the lady talk down controller was using -

Heck you can imagine "Air ferries XXX 1/2 a mile from touchdown, approach and weight lifting session complete - surface wind 235 degrees at 10 (Knots) gusting 35 if I drop this microphone"

CAT III

PS - I do not mean the familiar rotating Plessey Red and White dish

Tagron
14th Apr 2011, 16:17
The radar was the Ekco ARAA and it was in use at SEN for about 30 years. In effect it was an SRA to 1/2 nm.

Google "Ekco ARAA" and you will find a very good article on the development of this unit, plus a link to a 1960 Ekco promotional film.

And this was from a BEA Flight Ops magazine after BEA's first significant use of SEN as a LHR diversion in 1958:

In all weathers, come what may, they work the one man GCA.
The sound of Viscounts makes them cower, those stalwarts in their soapbox tower

Guest 112233
16th Apr 2011, 09:06
Thanks Tagron - The history and importance of the developement of equipment like this, is in some ways; a neglected history - I will google the link.

Thank you

CAT III

vulcanised
19th Apr 2011, 20:14
Unless my ears deceive me, a 757 landed (empty for service) this morning, sounded like he used all the available space.

Was anyone else listening later at around 1600?

Reason I ask is that a female student landed and she had an incredibly young voice. Sounded about 8 years old!

Red Four
21st Apr 2011, 14:55
It seems that Stobart are after raising £120million in the markets:

http://www.stobartgroup.co.uk/Images/file/Placing%20announcement%2021_04_11.pdf

The main bit of interest is reproduced below:

Airports*Division*(“Stobart*Airports”)
This 
division
 consists
 of
 LSA
 and 
CLDA.
 Some
 of
 the 
Placing
 and
 Open 
Offer
proceeds
 will 
be
 used 
to develop
 the 
new 
distribution
 centre 
at
 CLDA
 and
complete
 the 
ongoing 
work
at 
LSA.

The
 Directors
 expect this
 will,
respectively,
 achieve 
annual
 operational 
cost
 savings 
of 
around 
£1
million 
for 
Eddie
 Stobart 
and generate 
a
 development
 profit 
for 
Stobart
 Estates.

In
 addition,
 the
 division 
is 
in
 discussions
 with 
a 
number
 of 
European
airlines.
 Any 
agreements 
with
 these airlines
 could
 result
 in 
a 
requirement
 to 
complete 
LSA
 to 
a 
higher 
specification 
and 
build 
a 
hotel.
The

additional 
funding 
that 
has 
been 
earmarked
 by 
the 
Company 
for 
LSA
 is
dependant 
on 
the
 signing
 of 
a
 significant
 contract
 with 
a 
low
 cost 
European
airline.
The 
Group 
intends 
to grow
 Stobart Airports
 significantly 
including 
the
ongoing 
development 
at 
LSA 
in
 time 
for 
the
Olympics.

The
 Directors
 believe 
that 
LSA
 will
 be 
able 
to
 develop
 new 
routes
 and

attract
 new
 operators
 over 
the 
next 
few 
years,
 with 
the
 aim
 of 
servicing
between 
 and
million
 passengers
 annually.

The
 Group
 will
 also
 pursue 
air
freight, 
maintenance 
and 
airport service

opportunities 
at 
LSA, 
including
 airport
 retail,
 private 
facilities, 
lounges
 and
fees
 generated 
from the 
rail
 terminal,
 which 
will
 provide 
up 
to
 eight
 services
 an 
hour
 direct 
to 
London 
Liverpool
 Street.

Additionally,
the
 Directors
 believe 
that 
CLDA 
can
 eventually
 be 
developed
and
 could
 act
 as
 a 
link 
for scheduled
 services 
to 
and 
from 
LSA.
 Until
 such
time 
as 
CLDA 
is 
fully 
developed 
for
 passenger 
transport,

it 
will
 continue 
to
 provide
 cost
 savings 
for
 the 
Eddie
 Stobart 
division,
 as
well 
as
 generating 
revenues
 from 
ancillary 
airport 
services.

Alastair
 Welch 
will head 
Stobart
 Airports
 and
 it 
is 
anticipated 
that 
future
performance 
can 
be
 benchmarked 
against 
other 
airport 
operations.

compton3bravo
21st Apr 2011, 15:29
It also stated in another part of the document that a total of up to 25 million pounds would be needed to further develop both Southend and Carlisle Airports. WOW.
It then hoped to develop a scheduled service between the two airports (a real money spinner that - I don't think so) and also increase services from Southend subject to a large contract signed by a European low cost carrier - we all know what has happened to a number of regional airports recently which threw in their lot with the locos.
May I say that the 2012 Olympics was brought up yet again - have people realised that it only lasts for a couple of weeks and probably extra passengers for four weeks at the most. Unfortunately some people think it is a panacea for a number of UK airports - I beg to disagree. Also 2.5 million passengers - may I ask where are they going to come from? I won't hold my breath - sorry but just my honest opinion having observed aviation very closely over the last 40 years.
Anyway Happy Easter to all C3B.

HZ123
1st May 2011, 21:18
I have a mere 40 years in the business and also have wondered from the outset from where these customers are going to come, The industry is also static and STN will have to gain a lot more business in the future to fullfill its plans.

Excepted that the rail link is good but this is offset by the road systems which the council seem more intend on making worse !

I hope SEN does well and we doubters are proved wrong ?

Phileas Fogg
1st May 2011, 21:29
HZ123,

That's kind of like saying that MAN will have to gain a lot more business to fullfill it's plans before there is a need for a LPL!

LPL, despite it's close proximity to MAN, is doing very nicely, should there be any reason why SEN cannot become a LPL of the south ... despite a somewhat shorter runway the subject of which has already been flogged to death?

Expressflight
2nd May 2011, 06:49
As yet another with "40 years in the business" (45 years actually) I can see where they hope the business will come from and that is largely inbound European traffic.

Over the past year I have represented one such airport in discussions with both existing and start-up airlines and their enthusiasm for SEN has been a consistent feature. One European airline with firm plans for SEN sees 70% of its traffic being of inbound origin and one of the start-ups is making a similar assumption for its proposed routes.

I believe that the rapid transit times that SEN will be able to offer the traveller means it will get the nod above STN as a London arrival point, and HZ123 is rather unfair about the road system. The recently opened Progress Road improvements on the A127 have reduced delays considerably in my experience and the new link road to the A127 due to open in a couple of months will also make a difference.

Just how much influence continued high fuel prices will have I'm not sure, but a 10% to 20% saving in flight times from, say, CGN compared to using any other London airport will surely become a consideration.

Donkey497
9th May 2011, 20:07
Is there anywhere (reliable) that I can find out who might be doing scheduled services to/from Southend? I tried the official website, but it seems to be dated 2010 & all it seems to have for 2011 is a link to FlyBe for flights to & from Jersey. Not a lot of good if you're looking for weekend flights from & to north of the border.

vulcanised
9th May 2011, 21:35
The Southend website has always struck me as being poorly maintained and neglected.

It's always been the last place I would look for information and I had hoped that might change when Stobart took over but if anything it seems to have been kicked further into the long grass.

Expressflight
10th May 2011, 07:43
Yes, I'm sorry to have to agree the SEN websites are very disappointing - the so-called 'new' 2012 website being so out of date it's really not worth looking at. I'm really surprised that they don't seem to have anyone who's tasked with updating them properly.

maliyahsdad2
10th May 2011, 07:59
Vulcanised, it was updated recently.

Though it could do with a bit more info.

London Southend Airport (http://www.southendairport.com/)

now has arrival and departure info, so they are listening. (haven't looked at it for ages till today)

The airports face book page is better for updates.

KieranBal
12th May 2011, 20:59
it was updated recently

Only some of it though!

"The rail service at present stops at nearby Rochford Station, a short 5 minute taxi ride from the airport, but when the airport station is opened in 2009, the journey time from the airport to Stratford (for Docklands) will be 42 minutes and to central London will be 50 minutes."

Clearly they haven't had a look at that page for a while...!

'Chuffer' Dandridge
28th May 2011, 08:41
I see that somebody living in Cumbria is objecting to the development......:ugh:

A fresh bid to halt runway (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/9053419.A_fresh_bid_to_halt_runway_____by_a_man_from_Cumbria/)

The 'other forum' has more links to maybe explain the possible motives

News & Star | News | Stobart boss Tinkler 'wins' Carlisle Airport legal case (http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/stobart_boss_tinkler_wins_carlisle_airport_legal_case_1_5442 01?referrerPath=home)

Stobart's Andrew Tinkler sued for libel by ex-employee (http://www.airportwatch.org.uk/news/detail.php?art_id=2488)

Only lawyers get rich:{

Expressflight
14th Jun 2011, 09:58
An Easyjet A319 arrived at SEN this morning and is currently parked on the apron with an Eddie Stobart lorry parked either side of it. Looks like it's all set up for a photo shoot. Interesting...........

vulcanised
14th Jun 2011, 11:36
Were there two Easy's? I heard a 757 departing a few minutes ago, having been delayed by a (collapsed u/c?) incident which blocked the runway for about an hour.

Expressflight
14th Jun 2011, 11:49
Just the one Easyjet aircraft so I understand. The runway blockage was a Bandit with a tyre burst I believe.

By all accounts the photo shoot was pretty comprehensive including aerial photography from a Jet Ranger.

RJELLISUK
14th Jun 2011, 12:32
Yeah an easy 319 is at Southend today with lots of easy staff to press launch the new plans for easy services from Southend. :ok:

davidjohnson6
14th Jun 2011, 12:38
Anything concrete as to what Easy will or won't be offering at Southend, besides a bunch of PR people posing with some red+green HGVs ?

EI-BUD
14th Jun 2011, 12:55
Buster the Bear posted info months back that Easyjet would do Southend flights. It sounds like that is about to become official news by the sounds of it.

I would reckon if EZY go to Southend, they will not duplicate STN flights but may look at some markets where FR go to out of town airports and offer flights to the primary airports in those cities. Just a thought. At Stansted EZY have introduced and developed routes that dont seem to interest Ryanair e.g Slovenia, Talinn and some further afield routes like Split Munich and Dubrovnik, destinations that Ryanair dont look at.
SEN might be attractive in that FR unlikely to fly there!!!

Good luck to Easyjet!!!

daz211
14th Jun 2011, 12:55
I went looking for clues on the Easyjet website but found nothing ! The route map on the site is odd all I get is an Easyjet Aircraft with passengers boarding and a BIG No 29 on the screen ??? no map what so ever ... might just be my laptop ...

davidjohnson6
14th Jun 2011, 12:59
daz - that part of the website is a bit flakey - try it again and you'll see a proper route map, although alas not about SEN there yet

RJELLISUK
14th Jun 2011, 13:01
Yeah I'd imagine a few days before anything released to the news etc. Just keep an eye on the net for something to crop up. Sen look promising now, with arann basing there shortly too. Getting back to the good old days :)
Just need a job with easy now haha!!

vulcanised
14th Jun 2011, 14:27
Someone in the Tower needs to get their I-Spy spotters book out!

Definitely referred to a 757 because he said 737 then corrected himself.

FR-
14th Jun 2011, 14:47
The question is now, will ryanair give STN two fingers and move a few flights over?

fr-

Phileas Fogg
14th Jun 2011, 15:14
But he didn't see a B737 or B757, he heard it ... he identifies aircraft types, engine types, by sound recognition only!

EI-BUD
14th Jun 2011, 16:51
The question is now, will ryanair give STN two fingers and move a few flights over?

the article in the aviation media a few months ago expressly said that the runway would be suitable for aircraft up to and including 319 for passenger operations, so presumably Ryanair would need to do a Belfast City type operation if they wanted to operate ie with performance restrictions. Cant see that happening, and in addition, one would have to ask would SEN want FR when he will want to use the airport for little or nothing and in the mean time scare other airlines from coming in??

EI-BUD

davidjohnson6
14th Jun 2011, 16:56
EI-BUD - you raise a very good point as to the desirability of having FR as an operator from SEN / Stobart's point of view

Assuming slots are available and planning permission limits are not breached (admittedly unlikely for quite a while), are SEN however in a position to be able to refuse FR access, or can they only require FR to pay full airport fees ?

JSCL
14th Jun 2011, 17:08
I wouldn't be all singing about easy jet yet until it's confirmed. Not so long ago they were saying no way hose to Southend.

TSR2
14th Jun 2011, 17:38
one would have to ask would SEN want FR when he will want to use the airport for little or nothing

I think the more accurate scenario is that FR would want payment for operating there not just little or nothing.

RJELLISUK
14th Jun 2011, 18:59
Still to short even with the extension for ryr ops, even on limited pax such as bhd was.

Chille Con Carnie
14th Jun 2011, 19:12
Only the one easy A319 today, no 757 .It should be a great photo / video shoot,any pic,s out there?

misterblue
15th Jun 2011, 10:44
Does SEN have night curfews or is it H24?

mmeteesside
15th Jun 2011, 10:58
Believe its H24? As I think Binair have a nightly cargo contract to Kassel?

JSCL
15th Jun 2011, 10:59
H24 but with some night restrictions.

fjencl
15th Jun 2011, 17:20
Easyjet set to fly from Stobart's Southend airport, but Greek woes hit FTSE | Business | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/marketforceslive/2011/jun/15/easyjet-southend-airport)

Expressflight
16th Jun 2011, 06:13
The Echo newspaper is saying that it will an "exclusive" story about new routes from SEN in today's edition.

serko
16th Jun 2011, 06:26
London Southend Airport agrees 10 year contract with easyJet

London Southend Airport (LSA), part of the Stobart Group, has today agreed a 10 year contract with easyJet, for flights to a number of European destinations. easyJet will commence operations in April 2012, in advance of the London Olympics, initially basing three aircraft at the airport and expecting to deliver around 800,000 passengers per annum. This will increase the annualised throughput at the airport to nearly 1 million passengers. Initially, easyJet intends to service around 10 holiday and business destinations (including Barcelona, Faro and Ibiza) and the airline expects to develop further routes over the coming years. Stobart Group is at an advanced stage of its investment plan for LSA and has built an airport which is able to offer one of the quickest routes to central London for passengers travelling from Europe. The airport offers reduced flight times, a fast terminal experience and a connecting station with up to 8 trains an hour travelling into London in around 50 minutes. In addition, LSA is in a prime location to service the London Olympics in 2012 with a fast, direct train service to Stratford and the Olympic stadium. Stobart Group has a strategy of creating value from the property assets it holds in the Group. The agreement with easyJet substantiates the investment made by Stobart and demonstrates the potential the airport can offer to airlines. Stobart Group CEO, Andrew Tinkler, said: "We are delighted to announce our partnership with easyJet. This supports and validates our strategy to develop London Southend as a fast and friendly airport serving London and the South East. Our target is to achieve in excess of two million passengers and this agreement allows us to have continued confidence in this target". Catherine Lynn, easyJet Customer and Revenue Director, said: "We are excited to be opening London Southend as easyJet's 20th base airport. The airport is in a fantastic location just outside London with a fast rail link into the city. This is a unique opportunity to offer a world class customer experience, with passengers able to get from the plane to the train in 15 minutes." "Through offering easy and affordable travel, we expect the new routes to appeal to customers in Essex and London looking for a convenient new departure point for many top European destinations. We also believe that the European city links will attract a high number of inbound business and leisure passengers to London next year." LSA is an established facility serving business and leisure passengers flying within the UK, as well as those destined for Europe and beyond. A dedicated new airport railway station is complete (fewer than 100 paces from the terminal), with up to eight train services an hour offering direct links to Stratford (44 minutes) - site of the 2012 Olympics, and to London Liverpool Street (53 minutes). Stobart Group is extending LSA's runway, enabling use by greater capacity aircraft. This and the airport's congestion-free location outside London air traffic control, make it an ideal location to meet the demand for European business and leisure travel. The runway extension will also allow LSA to play a major role in handling visitors to the 2012 Olympic Games. Stobart Group's development of LSA also includes a new state-of-the-art control tower (operational in March 2011), a new dedicated train station on the Southend to Stratford and Liverpool Street line (now complete and set to open in July), a new terminal building (due for completion this Autumn), the runway extension (due for completion Winter 2011/12) and a new hotel which will open in 2012.

Steviec9
16th Jun 2011, 07:56
Good news. Onwards and upwards for SEN and good luck to those locally who benefit from the job creation.

Be interesting if EZY dip their toes back into the Irish market from SEN. I know it's unlikely whilst RE are there but it would be fun to poke tongue out at FR and their behemoth 737-8's that can't get into SEN without costly restrictions.... :p.

daz211
16th Jun 2011, 08:04
As most people on here know I am very much in the Pro Stansted and Ryanair camp but I really want to say well done to both Southend and Easyjet this is massive news for Southend and not to be underestamated GOOD LUCK to everyone involved :ok:.

lfc84
16th Jun 2011, 08:18
"easyJet intends to service around 10 holiday and business destinations (including Barcelona, Faro and Ibiza)"

so thats 3 of the 10. my guess for a few more will be AMS, IOM, CDG, AGP

tommyc2005
16th Jun 2011, 09:07
lfc84, IOM is highly unlikely, CDG virtually no chance.

My guess for the other seven would be PMI, AGP, ALC, AMS, EDI, GLA, BFS though the Evening Standard are saying the last four plus MAD, SXF and MXP.

Helen49
16th Jun 2011, 10:03
Excellent news for SEN, local employment and aviation in general. Good wishes to all involved.

Powerjet1
16th Jun 2011, 10:32
easyJet in Essex tug-of-hub (http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/travel-and-transport/12086-easyjet-in-essex-tug-of-hub)

compton3bravo
16th Jun 2011, 11:16
Good news for Southend but not so good for Stansted. Regarding jobs if easy do downsize at Stansted I could see almost all positions being filled at Southend by ex-Stansted employees as I would think most live in the area of both airports.

JSCL
16th Jun 2011, 11:19
Pictures from Southend facepprune

easyJet Announcement Photos | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.161177443947451.41433.130834463648416)

ara01jbb
16th Jun 2011, 11:33
Seem to have made more of an effort than they did for the RE launch, for which someone made a cake modeled on a Playmobil plane that had ditched in water...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.143114599087069.30117.130834463648416

JSCL
16th Jun 2011, 11:42
Now is a good time to update their website.

Home - Fly Southend Airport (http://flysouthendairport.webs.com/) is looking a bit pathetic right now.

JSCL
16th Jun 2011, 12:06
One thing I have to add is - Southend currently carries less than 100,000 pax/year. Can it really cope with +800,000?

pug
16th Jun 2011, 12:08
Excellent news for SEN! :ok:

One thing I have to add is - Southend currently carries less than 100,000 pax/year. Can it really cope with +800,000?

The new terminal will probably be able to..

maliyahsdad2
16th Jun 2011, 12:14
Now is a good time to update their website.

Home - Fly Southend Airport (http://flysouthendairport.webs.com/) is looking a bit pathetic right now. That isn't Southends website , Though Southends isn't much better.

London Southend Airport (http://www.southendairport.net)

Nubrawarriors
16th Jun 2011, 12:43
had 692,686 pax back in the good old days of 1967 with the old terminal. Should cope now.

Regards Phil

JSCL
16th Jun 2011, 12:49
Well I thought the one you posted was their main one too but it seems they are promoting that other one I posted vs the .com one.

Falcon666
16th Jun 2011, 13:00
Its going to be fascinating to see how this all works out.
Easy have seen the opportunity giving them extra coverage of London and the south east and obviously got a good ten year deal.
I doubt ryanair would be too worried but it will raise a question about their dominance at STN and nowhere else in the region.Easy have stole the march on them at Luton, Gatwick and now Southend in terms of based units and destinations.
From a catchment area perspective in my opinion STN is in a weaker position than its competitors.My flights from there are because i have no other viable alternative and many regular passengers on my flights find themselves in the same position.If and when that changes,well thats another question.
(STNs advantage though is it has flights to the more remote/ local destinations served by Ryanair )
I suspect Easy will just choose the high density routes from SEN( cities and Holiday spots) but even so interesting times ahead.
Good luck to all involved

Barnaby the Bear
16th Jun 2011, 13:48
Southends official websites are London Southend Airport (http://www.southendairport.com) and www.flysouthend2012.com (development news)

The other site is unofficial and not linked to the Airport company.

The new terminal being constructed is only Phase 1, phase 2 will follow. No doubt earlier than anticipated. :ok:

Savoia
16th Jun 2011, 16:36
London will get its sixth major international airport when easyJet start flying from Southend before the Olympics

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/16/article-2004304-005B460800000258-585_468x326.jpg

The budget carrier revealed today that they will launch around 70 planes a week from the Essex airport from April next year.

Initially around one million people will fly from the airport each year - but it is expected to double making it as busy as City Airport.

Currently private jets and charter flights take off from the airfield - although there are a few commercial flights to Ireland.

However, analysts have hailed the growth potential - and predict that it could establish itself as an alternative to Gatwick and Stansted.

Catherine Lynn, the airline’s customer and revenue director, said: 'In summer 2012 we’re expecting to see huge demand from passengers right around Europe to come to London.

'We expect easyJet to fly more people into London next summer than any other airline, and Southend will be the closest large airport to the Olympics. We’re going to maintain our regular services — this is an opportunity to increase our capacity.'

Three new routes have already been confirmed — Barcelona, Faro and Ibiza — but other destinations expected to be served from Southend include Madrid, Milan, Amsterdam, Berlin, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Belfast.

More (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2004304/London-sixth-major-airport-Southend--just-time-Olympics.html)

compton3bravo
16th Jun 2011, 16:50
If you read the whole Daily Mail article it says Southend was apparently the initial base for Freddie Laker's Skytrain service to New York! Wonderful, where do they get these reporters from - obviously absolutely no knowlege of aviation whatsoever.

Buster the Bear
16th Jun 2011, 17:25
My understanding is that an assessment will be made in terms of long term viability after 18 months. No doubt start up subsidies will cushion the post Olympic decline in yields.

Jamie2k9
16th Jun 2011, 22:23
Since EZY announced the base and most major European routes, there is not a whole lot left for Aer Arann to do. With WAT and GWY still struggling. How long will they last. If GWY airport closes as planned on Dec 31 there is no way that the WAT route will last. If they can't fill an ATR 42 combined with two airports then what hope do they have to fill one from WAT twice daily.

Centre cities
16th Jun 2011, 22:40
The new Easyjet operation is starting smaller than the initial TOM operation from Coventry a few years ago that basically used a shed as a terminal. It should be no problem at all.

The sucess of the services depends on quick easy links to London ala Stansted with a mix of train and value coach transportation to the Capitol.

Centre cities.

shamrock7seal
17th Jun 2011, 07:50
Seriously well done to all involved. It is a great coup for SEN but it also shows a little initiative & faith in UK regional airports on easyJet's part which i am really glad to see.

I hope that they now consider BOH as another airport with potential for 2012...not just for the one off short term Olympics benefit - close proximity to Weymouth where sailing competition will be, but because of it's similarity to SEN in terms of risk v potential.

WHBM
17th Jun 2011, 08:03
If you read the whole Daily Mail article it says Southend was apparently the initial base for Freddie Laker's Skytrain service to New York! Wonderful, where do they get these reporters from - obviously absolutely no knowlege of aviation whatsoever.
Actually not as far away as it may seem. Laker certainly started off at Southend after WW2 with a whole range of companies - Aviation Traders, Air Charter, Channel Air Bridge, before heading off to larger companies at Gatwick, and it was where he developed his ability to have cheap air travel to challenge the majors. He was one of the key pioneers who built up operations at the airport at the time; would it, even now, be the centre for airliner engineering it now is, if he had not started it all off ?

I agree that the prospect of Skytrain DC-10s getting off the runway would be interesting !

tws123
17th Jun 2011, 15:07
Fly Southend Airport - Looks a bit pathetic now

Hello to everyone! As the site owner I will be happy to here from anyone as to what you would like to see more or less of on the site. Please fill out a reply email on the 'contact us' section and I will try and sort out any problems. The website was set up free so I have no access to any fancy graphics unfortuantely! The website was originally set up as a fan site with forums, videos and pictures etc. but now after seeing the official airport site I want to create something that has everything for both fans and future passengers. My main aim is to promote the airport and to show that SAEN are small minority of people against the airport expansion.
Support the airport: Home - Fly Southend Airport (http://www.flysouthendairport.webs.com/)

maliyahsdad2
17th Jun 2011, 15:26
More good news for Southend Airport (From Echo) (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/9092008.More_good_news_for_Southend_Airport/)

Phileas Fogg
17th Jun 2011, 15:44
Actually the Skytrain service was to be forced to use STN ... I think the acceptance to operate from/to LGW had something to do with FAL taking the British government to court!

vulcanised
17th Jun 2011, 19:41
More good news:-

More good news for Southend Airport (From Echo) (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/9092008.More_good_news_for_Southend_Airport/)

Just a few nimbys to dispose of now.

WHBM
17th Jun 2011, 21:24
Actually the Skytrain service was to be forced to use STN ... I think the acceptance to operate from/to LGW had something to do with FAL taking the British government to court!
I don't believe that Skytrain actually used Stansted, but it was a close-run thing. If I recall correctly Laker did build check-in desks there at the beginning (plenty of room in the old terminal, which was hardly used), but they got the use of Gatwick, where of course Laker Airways was already well established for holiday charters, approved before the service opened up.

Freddie was also familiar with Stansted from his past, as his flights in the 1950s which were beyond the limited Southend runway, such as military charters to Asia, operated from there.

Phileas Fogg
17th Jun 2011, 21:44
WHBM,

Correct, Skytrain commenced out of LGW and, unless a diversion, never used STN.

Quite amusing because SEN's runway can't even take a wide body, such as an A300, unless a ferry flight and even then only by special dispensation.

And, please, it was 'Sir Freddie' ..... He who taught me to drive Rolls Royce 'FAL 1' around the, then narrow, LGW perimeter road one less than sober nightshift. :)

P.S. How many engines does a DC10 have?

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/6/2/6/1350626.jpg

pabely
18th Jun 2011, 00:15
Correct, Skytrain commenced out of LGW and, unless a diversion, never used STN.

And even LTN helped out one snowy day.........sorry could resist:p

Phileas Fogg
18th Jun 2011, 00:44
And at one time CircusAir EMA had a pic on their office wall of 3 x DC-10's on the EMA tarmac, in those days a shorter EMA runway yet, one day due to a lighter load, a direct EMA/JFK DC10 Skytrain.

And then there was a time when, on another or few drunken nightshift(s), I'd pick him up in Jaguar 'FLY 1' and, in his way, he'd give me a gentlemanly rollockong for not fully releasing the handbrake before driving.

For those that didn't know him ...he was a star, one of life's characters ...

Put it this way, how often might one expect to see their knighted MD staggering in to the office, with a likewise staggering Barry Sheene in tandem, tripping over the carpet whilst practicing Chinese for an up and coming HKG route application hearing? :)