PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Happenings (Merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

pwalhx
8th Apr 2005, 13:26
Just seen a notification from Continental to Cargo agentsthat their two flights to Newark wont be 757's now but a 767 and a 757 giving a greater capacity then expected.

'Continental Airlines Cargo are pleased to announce that our widebody capacity will be retained from Manchester during 2005 and we are set to increase our direct online flights to 14 times weekly from Manchester to Newark to the following schedule:

MAN/EWR CO 021 B767-200 ETD 0930 ETA 1205Hrs Daily

MAN/EWR CO 101 B757 ETD 1330 ETA 1605Hrs Daily effective 10th June '

Daza
9th Apr 2005, 05:01
Aircraft only carries one more passenger han 757 as much bigger business class seating section.

Caslance
9th Apr 2005, 06:51
Yes, but I believe that the B767-200 also carries more freight.

Freight and business class are where the money is made on long-haul operations.

Scottie Dog
12th Apr 2005, 13:18
MAplc have just released their passenger figures for March 2005.

Terminal passengers were as follows:

Domestic - 297,977 +4.3%
Scheduled International - 792,770 +15.1%
Charter - 506,730 +12.5%
Private/Mscellaneous - 615 +17.8%

Total - 1,598,092 +12.1%

Remember that Easter came early this year, so some of the figures will be distorted.

When/if I receive figures for movements they will be posted.

Scottie Dog

ps - interesting to see that BAA is quoted in the Daily Telegraph as announcing a 9.1% increase for Stansted and 15.4% for Gatwick.

Vuelo
14th Apr 2005, 13:02
Is there to be an announcement tonorrow about the Cathay service?

EGCC4284
15th Apr 2005, 04:03
TCX G-FCLH

Check PM

This Charming Man
15th Apr 2005, 12:29
Not seen it reported on here but both ZOOM and Skyservice will adding extra flights this summer. ZOOM will go from 4 to 5 departures a week with an additional Calgary service on a Thurs.
Skyservice will Operate a Friday flight to Toronto.

Swiss will upgrade capacity on all ZRH flights and replace the E145's with RJ's .

Finally anybody heard about a new start up airline call Horizon Airways ? Apparently they plan to base two A320's operating to various bucket and spade places from mid July !

brgds
TCM

Vuelo
15th Apr 2005, 12:59
i thought Horizon Airlines was already in existence, operating services in and around Alaska...?

Scottie Dog
15th Apr 2005, 13:30
Air Transport Movements for March were up 8.4pc at 18,522 - from 17,086.

Average daily movements therefore 597.

TCX G-FCLH
15th Apr 2005, 16:08
Anyone ever heard of British Jet, they are starting at MAN on May 01? Never even heard of them. Swissport have got full operation of them

Mark

Scottie Dog
15th Apr 2005, 16:31
Yep, spoke to my man with the knowledge and he confirms TCMs posting. Apparantley they already have offices at the airport and have been recruiting cabin crew. Usual Med destinations plus a few more less frequently used places.

semisonic
18th Apr 2005, 16:53
I notice that Qatar offer 2 morning and 2 evening departures to Doha per week. Lot of talk about this going daily, but was just upgraded to A330. Is this spilit schedule a wider picture thing or are they trying to establish which timing would be more profitable for a future daily operation?

On a similar line, has the Malaysian retiming been a success??

Thanks all.

Scottie Dog
18th Apr 2005, 17:16
Figures for both November and December show a 7pc increase.
Provisional figures for January show a 2pc drop in passengers on the Malaysian flights, however the events of Boxing Day in the area probably did not help.

In general it would appear to have been a good move.

elgan
18th Apr 2005, 18:30
Just to update you with Euromanx from MAN, yesturday, saw a Jetx MD82 TF-JXB operate the route!
E120....J31....MD82!!!
Loads must be good then :rolleyes:

jimbols6
18th Apr 2005, 18:55
the jetex was probable doing at jet2 flight!! Does anybody know who will be handling Zoom??

Caslance
18th Apr 2005, 19:42
No, the Jetex was definitely doing the Euromanx flight. The callsign was "Denim 709", or something very similar.

Mouser
18th Apr 2005, 21:59
TF-JXB, also seen at Liverpool today for Euromanx.

chiglet
18th Apr 2005, 22:40
The JetX Euromanx had 23 pax inbound.....:hmm:
Day [or 2] before it did the UnionJet from Manston.....33 pax ?
watp,iktch

andyloynes
20th Apr 2005, 13:11
Any more info? I've tried to dig out some info with no luck. Gather MAN Press Office are keeping schtum. That launch date is rather close though.

Taffy1
20th Apr 2005, 15:38
Zoom will be handled by Servisair/Globeground

Adola69
20th Apr 2005, 23:27
According to a well known Manchester spotters site, it is predicted that British jet will be using HELLO MD-80's on the start of their services, commencing 2nd May, if I'm reading it correctly?
I'm not sure if these are wet lease, dry lease, damp lease or soggy lease!!!

I wonder what the callsign will be? " Hello this is Hello errrrr? - ohell !!

Or it could be " Rover " ? Won't be around long then eh??

;) ;) ;)

chiglet
21st Apr 2005, 07:14
We've already had "RELAX" in :ok:
watp,iktch

Vuelo
21st Apr 2005, 22:11
Are Virgin Atlantic to announce some new routes from Manchester?

Bagso
22nd Apr 2005, 08:18
Re Virgin Routes Manchester...

Whilst it would be nice I doubt it

Why do you ask Veulo ?

They have just anounced that they will be the largest operator in T3 at LHR with capacity being raised from 3m to 5m, so I cannot see why MAN would be in the equation !

BUT I hope I am wrong.

They could always see sense and diversify like Emirates.

Scottie Dog
22nd Apr 2005, 08:28
Have Emirates diversified?

I thought they operated through a central hub - Dubai.

Maybe we could see Emirates establishing a Manchester hub!!

This Charming Man
23rd Apr 2005, 11:41
Spoke with the route planners only last week. Whilst the airline is very happy with the B744 daily service to MCO,they have no intentions to operate any other routes. They did tell me however that last year they did look at LAX and India but in the end the powers that be decided against any MAN expansion whilst they could still expand ex LHR.

Brgds
TCM

TURIN
23rd Apr 2005, 14:55
Heard a rumour that BWIA are to continue from MAN and not pull out as previously reported. Anyone care to confirm?

lexxity
23rd Apr 2005, 16:42
TCM, check amadeus, VS to BGI at the end of the year, it would seem BD are losing this one.

chiglet
23rd Apr 2005, 19:42
"B744" daily to MCO :confused: Last I looked it was a B742 :ok:
watp,iktch

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
23rd Apr 2005, 23:02
Changes to a B744 in May sometime in May
Cannot remember date as I have just come home from pub and that is to much to ask brain at this time of night

G-I-B

EGCC4284
23rd Apr 2005, 23:51
Air Atlanta's 742 stops and Virgins own 744 starts soon.

MACCA69
24th Apr 2005, 08:07
VS man to bgi starting mid nov, also heard vegas from early next year. anymore routes for man on the horizon?

Vuelo
24th Apr 2005, 20:16
Have heard a rumour of Etihad and Sri Lankan for next Spring..anyone know anything?

Caslance
24th Apr 2005, 20:59
I know that 99% of rumours are a load of old b******s..... :E

Vuelo
25th Apr 2005, 10:48
Why isn't there a McDonalds or a Pret a Manger at MAN? It's a disgrace!

And as for the staff canteen....I saw one of the staff lean over he bacon and sausages a few mornings ago and a big blob of snot fell from his nose on to the cooked food! Yummy!

Now that's a Manchester happening!

MAN_Dispatcher
25th Apr 2005, 15:42
Agreed, Vuelo....

The staff canteen is a disgrace. Its bad enough that the egg is that horrible powdered stuff, but they also make sure it is served with a horrible crusty finish at the edged too. Mushrooms are tinned and mingin'... I could go on.

I remember on a very ols episode of Airport, Egon Ronay went to the staff canteen in LHR and slammed the place, saying he wouldn't serve the food to a dog.... I'd love to see him pop into 'Delicious' for breakfast one morning!!

initial
25th Apr 2005, 17:30
The problem at Manchester, as at many other airports is that Select Service Partner have a monopoly, so they can charge what they want, and serve what they want

semisonic
25th Apr 2005, 17:33
interesting to read all passengers for these flights will be checking in at the station. not being familiar with T1, will this be clearing a 'useful' check-in area for someone else to move into (ie. star alliance or something??)

chiglet
25th Apr 2005, 20:13
Don't forget the "new" checkins at T2 ARRIVALS....coupled with NO escalator/One lift at the "Station"/No SkyLinks due to "polishing the floor [taken EIGHT weeks, and counting]
The only "Value for Money" in the "Staff Caff" are the bacon/sausage butties. EVERYTHING else is cheaper in Boots for Petes sake
watp,iktch

Lord Toofouright
25th Apr 2005, 20:24
That's going to be some baggage belt!! It's bound to end in tears.

:{

Vuelo
26th Apr 2005, 15:40
Can we take it that Cathay Pacific have abandoned plans for a Manchester service?

pwalhx
26th Apr 2005, 16:46
No one seems to answer Vuelo about CX so I guess he is right, personally i am flying to HKG on KLM next month. Shame would have been nice to go on CX again.

StoneyBridge Radar
27th Apr 2005, 08:51
CX to HKG is still in the pipeline.

The CX freight boss is handling prep. at MAN., and it is well advanced

However, the russians are demanding inordinate sums for the traffic rights Moscow - Manchester.

Looks like that option is now on the back burner.

A thrice weekly NON-STOP is being urgently looked into, BUT lack of aircraft means you won't be seeing Cathay pax service until October at the earliest.

semisonic
27th Apr 2005, 11:59
fingers crossed for cathay then. i think MAplc are working their socks off to get them back.

What do people see the future of transatlantic...boston to go year round this year maybe? washington to get canx?? I always feel manchesters global services are never advertised enough, and suffer as a consequence.

aeulad
27th Apr 2005, 14:02
apologies if this has already been posted:

Belavia to start a june/july/august weekly flight to Minsk. More CIS destinations!

Regards

Mike

Vuelo
27th Apr 2005, 16:52
Is there really a market for Minsk?! I will really believe it when I see it! If it does happen, it'l be another Air Algerie....and where are they now?!

StoneyBridge Radar
28th Apr 2005, 09:49
If you come from Minsk, does that make you a Minser ? <sp>

Perhaps GayRugbyBloke could enlighten us :p

bagpuss lives
28th Apr 2005, 18:02
So that's what the "extra green topping" was on my sausage baguette.

gayrugbybloke
28th Apr 2005, 19:55
That staff canteen is a hole, and the opening hours are somewhat curious for a place that is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The staff stink and so does the 'food' (I use that term in its loosest sense, like my bowels after I once had some sandwiches from there!)

gayrugbybloke
29th Apr 2005, 09:48
I find that the station cottage offers a far better standard of sausage breakfast, lunch and dinner ! ;-)

flightfull
29th Apr 2005, 20:28
Does anyone have any info on Horizon Airways rumoured to depart from MAN from summer 05.

I am wondering what routes will be served and what A/C type (s) will be used.

Thanks

FF

7006 fan
29th Apr 2005, 20:34
Now I think I have heard everything, Minsk!!!

Letsparty24/7
29th Apr 2005, 21:42
The reason Air Atlanta are moving from the Ground Levels Check-in is to give Mytravel and Jet-2 more room for the summer.

This Charming Man
1st May 2005, 11:11
I understand that the reason for the new check-in desks at the Railway station was that on certain days/times T1 will run out of desks.

Horizon have advised the airport that their initial plans to operated 22 deps a week have been upped to 34 ! Known destinations include ACE,TFS,FUE,ALC,AGP.

Olympic Airways will add an extra flight on Monday evenings starting 16th May. This is response to the demise of Hellas Jet who have infomed that their last flight to MAN will be on 11th May prior to ceasing ALL operations.

brgds
TCM

Vuelo
1st May 2005, 12:35
So are Horizon a charter or scheuled operator?

gayrugbybloke
3rd May 2005, 15:54
Noone can tell you, Vuelo as they probably dont exist as such! A bit like CT2/ AV8 or whatever it was called..!

lexxity
3rd May 2005, 20:08
Here we are, not a rumor but a fact, AC to operate MANYYZ from the 17th June until 17th September, that's from the AC staff setting the route back up. Now for a bonus point (and IF anyoe out there does know this then you're probably the only person at MAN who does), but who the heck is handling them? Apparantely it's not BD or Globe so who knows?

As for the staff deli, do not get me started, but they are trialing opening until 5pm. The sausages and toast aren't too bad from there, but as for pretty muc everything else:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

MAN777
3rd May 2005, 21:29
Best food for employees is to be found in the cargo centre (upstairs building 301) good menu that changes daily and if you time your visit right the scenery is very nice, as its used by trainee First choice cabin staff !!

Scottie Dog
4th May 2005, 10:14
From the Manchester Airport website - a quotation from Sir Richard Branson....

“Since starting our operations in Manchester almost 9 years ago Virgin Atlantic has carried over 2.7m passengers. In the future we are looking at expanding our operations to include more destinations in the Caribbean or even to other popular routes in America like Las Vegas - routes which have proved hugely popular with our leisure passengers at Gatwick.”

That could put the cat amongst the pidgeons at Donington Hall.

Scottie Dog

This Charming Man
4th May 2005, 10:43
......and blows my recent post right out of the water :eek:

Vuelo
5th May 2005, 08:38
I suggest that most likely outcome will be that BD will cease all its long-hauls from MAN in the not too distant future, and Virgin Atlantic will take them over......who agrees?

ALLMCC
5th May 2005, 09:20
Quote "Virgin Atlantic will take them over"

Do you mean the routes or the airline or both?

Vuelo
5th May 2005, 13:04
Sorry, to clarify, I meant the airline as opposed to the routes. Who wants a Manchester to Washington DC route...? I don;t see a queue forming!

GrahamK
5th May 2005, 15:55
Apparently G-BYDA is fling down to Kemble tomorrow, leaving MAN for the last time. Anyone confirm?

Scottie Dog
6th May 2005, 14:08
I understand that movements for April were up 5.85% to 18295 - equal to 610 per day. Moving annual movements are 229,283 which is an increment of 7.06%

Terminal passenger throughput was 1,537,650, an increase of 1.11%. Moving annual total 21,952,832 (inc transit passengers).

Easter was earlier this year than last, so some traffic will have been lost to the previously posted March figures.

Scottie Dog

Letsparty24/7
6th May 2005, 15:00
Can confirm G-BYDA will finally leave MAN today if it has not done so already. After all this time it is going to be scraped. Nobody wants it.

EGCC4284
6th May 2005, 15:20
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=G-BYDA&distinct_entry=true

How much would they get for scrap.

A real shame.

This Charming Man
7th May 2005, 21:05
Provisionals so far include:

2x Air Atlanta B747
3x Pegasus B737
1x First Choice B757

Word on the airport is that theres more to follow :ok:

brgds
TCM

bagpuss lives
7th May 2005, 22:01
'DA did indeed leave for Kemble yesterday afternoon, as far as I'm aware.

initial
9th May 2005, 06:57
Article in todays Manchester Evening News says airport looking to far East and US for expansion in interview with Tim McDermott (aviation development director). Airport to handle 22.7m pax this year.

New services set to be anounced to Bangkok (Thai Airways- via another european city) and Hong Kong (Cathay)

Airport also in talks for flights to Tokyo and Osaka (ANA), Bombay (Air India,Air Sahara,Jet Airways), Beijing and Shanghai (Air China) and San Francisco, L.A and Johannesburg (no airlines mentioned)

Also says Virgin set to expand to USA an Caribbean from Manchester

Vuelo
9th May 2005, 09:10
Same old rumours, same old routes mentioned. What would have been more enlightening would have been for MAplc to have given an interview once these services had been CONFIRMED! Rather they prefer to just dish out more hot air and suggestion. BORING!!

Mr A Tis
9th May 2005, 22:18
Tend to agree with the above. "Talks" about these routes have gone on for years. The return of Cathay has been imminent for the last 6 months.
So in effect there is nothing new here.

Maybe they could explain their plans for handling the traffic / pax they already have?
Like the appalling serviceability of walkways, escalators & lifts.
The blocked terminals caused by poor check in queue management. (T2 especially inc the new ground floor check-in)
The dreadfully poor & often outdated / incorrect signage around the airport.
The car park buses that dump departing passengers in arrivals.
The lack of taxiways and stands.
The queues for security (T1)
The queues trying to exit customs (T1)

Most of the above could have been resolved over the winter.
There just doesn't seem to be a consistant plan to sort these things out.

Things seemed so much better in Sir Gills day -when the airport had a good track record of keeping ahead of the game.
These days short term profits ( linked to fat bonuses for some) seem to have priority.
Rant over

:*

gayrugbybloke
10th May 2005, 09:31
Can someone tell me what the hell is going on with immigration at MAN? After years of just waving through EU passengers, they have now undergone major personality transplants, and are taking it upon themselves to swipe or input every document. Sorry, but is this really neceassry? I doubt it. Also, according to oneof the officers, there are no extra staff to handle this new way of working, and so when I fly back from Frankfurt every other day, I have to stand in a queue at T1 for almost 30 minutes with lots of nasty chavs from charter flights!

Anyone else experiencing this aswell?

lexxity
10th May 2005, 10:56
GayRugbyBloke, have had the same at LHR and LIS swiping EU passports, according to a mate who works in immigration it's a new EU thing, not specifically down to the individual airport and I agree it's a pain in the arse, but there you go, one more irritation to put up with when you travel.:ugh:

simonairbus340
10th May 2005, 11:26
I think the EU immigration rules are stupid.
When the EU was set up, they said after a certain period of time, we would not need passports to travel through the EU countries. Now the rules are tighter than they have ever been. Are they deliberatly trying to stop people travelling?

ATNotts
10th May 2005, 11:57
On the contrary, the EU Immigration Rules are extremely sensible.

As a Britain, or I believe Irishman or Dane, you still get lumbered with immigration controls when travelling between EU States.

Most of the rest signed something called the Schengen Agreement, under which travel between signatory states is done entirely without border controls. It speeds up travel no end, and reduces the hassle factor - except of course that if you are travelling with hold bags you wind up waiting at a carousel, instead on in an immigration queue!

The UK controls are now stupidly overdone - UK Immigration is clearly aware of the frustration of EU travellers to their checks, and there are now notices on the individual immigration desks (at Stansted at least) apologising, and saying they are looking at ways to speed things up. Well, the UK could sign up to Schengen, but given the xenophobic nature of the British public thats hardly likely to happen.

Just putting the record straight. If you want Schengen, lobby your (newly elected!) MP.

Vuelo
12th May 2005, 19:22
A smiling immigration officer at Manchester might be nice! And what's that blue floor all about in the T1 immigration hall?!

Adola69
13th May 2005, 19:29
:confused:
It may have been asked before, but hey-ho!
Having recently travelled from the UK to Frankfurt and Amsterdam, all I had was one security check at Manchester and then onto the jolly old flying machine! On the way home at both Ams. & Fra, emmmm! Went through security with everyone else as routine, but then before the gate we had to go through another complete security check again. Coat off, shoes off, coins in a box, belt off, walk through sterilising machine, frisked with a 'whooper', get dressed again, collect belongings!! Why are we being singled out for this treatment, anyone know?? Other pax. for destinations within Europe don't seem to get this hassle! One thing for sure, it certainly pisses me off. 'Time to spare, go by air'

Mr. Grumpy:mad:

ATNotts
14th May 2005, 11:18
Adola69:

The answer probably lies somewhere within our mania in the UK for security, which is in no short measure related to the relationship that our dear Government chooses to have with the President of the United States.

This makes the UK pretty high on the list of countries likely to be targetted by "bin Bombing" and his mates.

What you say regarding security for UK destined PAX, versus those to other destinations (certainly ex Germany) is, as far I have have seen, totally correct. Frankfurt being especially bad. Though at Nürnberg this morning, I had to remove my lap-top from it's bag to go through the x-ray scanner - that doesn't happen here.

phil_2405
14th May 2005, 12:47
Though at Nürnberg this morning, I had to remove my lap-top from it's bag to go through the x-ray scanner - that doesn't happen here.

You have to remove your laptop from bag for screening at Nottingham East Midlands Airport definitely and I'm pretty sure at London Luton I have seen it happen also.

GrahamK
14th May 2005, 12:48
Whats the reason for the Saudia MD90 flight into MAN from LHR today at 1455?

This Charming Man
14th May 2005, 14:22
Hi all

I was told today that the proposed Cathay services to HKG have been scrapped. This due to a bilateral dispute with the Russian Govt.

brgds
TCM

StoneyBridge Radar
14th May 2005, 15:25
TCM

See my comments earlier in this thread connected to your info.

SBR

Vuelo
15th May 2005, 21:26
SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!

Caslance
16th May 2005, 19:07
I was told today that the proposed Cathay services to HKG have been scrapped. This due to a bilateral dispute with the Russian Govt. This confirms the reason I was given by a very well-placed source. How is this the fault of MAPlc management, Vuelo?

EGCC
16th May 2005, 23:07
New start-up airline Global Spirit due to start MAN-ISB flights from July using 747-200's twice weekly.

EGCC

FOZ
17th May 2005, 07:46
I notice that the flight numbers are EAF - are European operating for them and will the aircraft be crewed with European flight crew?

Shed-on-a-Pole
21st May 2005, 11:01
AIR BERLIN is to reduce frequencies from MAN (again!) later this Summer. There will be no Air Berlin ops at all via MAN on Saturdays. Significant re-timing of some remaining services. And yes, the info comes from the notice cancelling one of my DUS bookings! Ah well ...

initial
21st May 2005, 15:18
Anyone got anymore info on Horizon Airways. According to destination search on Manchester Airport web site they are to operate scheduled flights from T2 this summer to Alicante, Arrecife, Athens, Barcelona, Corfu, Dalaman, Dubrovnik, Faro, Larnaca, Las Palmas, Mahon, Malaga, Palma and Tenerife.

Vuelo
21st May 2005, 17:12
They want to get a move on then.......there isnt even a website yet, so I wont hold my breath on this airline!

POL1W
21st May 2005, 20:20
I presume Horizon Airlines have got slots for all these flights ex MAN? Remember the trouble Easy had because they could'nt get workable slots for based aircraft.

BombardierCR7
21st May 2005, 21:00
Slots?

From what I heard yesterday from a senior executive in the industry related to this project, money and AOC are the issue. I suppose the former is the most important factor in setting up an airline. I guess slots are a long way down the list.

I wouldn't hold yer breath on this one...

Bagso
23rd May 2005, 11:11
Re Horizon

According to last weeks TTG a man airposrt spokesperon suggested they had not even applied for slots let alone get any granted !

There was also a legal wrangle on the horizon (pardon the pun) due to the name still being registered to another major chain.

Dont hold your breath !

PRobe
24th May 2005, 09:05
Anyone know who the "well known industry figure" is that is allegedly behind this. The use of a dormant but well known brand (possibly still belonging to someone else), potential lack of funds and impossibly late launch brings one not that well known figure to my mind.

Scottie Dog
24th May 2005, 09:22
Understood they had slots - but not at times anybody would want to fly!! Tenerife at 0330?

AirLCY
25th May 2005, 16:46
So are Air Berlin not doing well on DUS or TXL? TXL is now only twice weekly, is it worth it? Anyone know what the loads are like on the routes?

ATNotts
26th May 2005, 08:16
I fear that Air Berlin may have already decided that the Manchester operation is not worth it.

AB sent me their newsletter yesterday, confirming winter flights are now bookable - but you can't book on any routes out of MAN beyond the end of October.

Same for Southampton / Paderborn.

Could be that not all the routes are released yet, but the STN operation is all bookable, so it doesn't look good.

PRobe
26th May 2005, 11:47
Anyone heard anything about MAN-CPT charters for this winter?

gayrugbybloke
28th May 2005, 15:56
I have heard a rumour that Vueling may be starting a Manchester to Bilbao daily service soon. Is this true?

Goose82
30th May 2005, 15:32
Does anyone know who Euro Atlantic was operating for yesterday? - Sat 29th May, A/c was a L1011.

Anyone got the Flight Number?

irishcc
30th May 2005, 15:44
CS-TEB
L1011
Euro Atlantic Airways
MYT 007R/111
08:39 10:29 Ops for MyTravel Airways

Goose82
30th May 2005, 18:56
Where was CS-TEB going to?

Vuelo
30th May 2005, 19:09
It appears that MAN is not necessarily 'booming'....why the stagnation? No new announcements for ages.....!What happened to all those exciting new routes' we were promised in that Manchester Evening News article with the Route Development manager?

This Charming Man
30th May 2005, 22:46
M.E.N article was a poor piece of journolism. What was being said was the '' 5 year plan'' , in other words the Airports wish list ! The Journo wrote the article as if it was all going to happen.

Meanwhile it's all hands to the pump to stem the Air Berlin fiasco.

Latest rumour ... Champagne Air to Le Harve with a Metroliner I kid you not !

brgds
TCM

MAN777
31st May 2005, 09:52
I would have thought that an Air Berlin PALMA daily connecting with the spanish hub would be a better use of aircraft, as per the Stansted operation.

Vuelo
31st May 2005, 12:38
i go back to my point from ages ago that noone wants to travel from Berlin to Manchester at 4.30am!!

i thought paderborn was doing pretty well, according to pax figures i have seen....

and i agree woth the air berlin to palma suggestion.....as i also before, manchester may aswell have an hourly ****tle to palma or malaga every day!

Going loco
31st May 2005, 16:34
From what I remember of the R2 debate, wasn’t 2005 the year MAN was supposed to hit 30 million passengers?

Where did it all go wrong?

- proper competition and consumer choice in the North (at last) from LPL, LBA and now DSA
- the failure of grasp the low-cost market quickly enough and get a dominant player on-board before the market in the NW became two crowded. The 2 biggest and best players are 20 miles down the road while WW, AB, J2 and the gang fail to make an impression. AB are going by the looks of it and J2 are wondering why they bothered.
- the fallout from 9/11 and the demise of the whole concept of 2nd tier hubs in Europe (Sabena, Swiss etc)
- bmi’s long-haul venture came too soon and has only served to reinforce the view that there’s not much money to made in LH ops out of MAN (or there’s a lot more money to be made at LHR).

And LGW still handling nearly 11 million more passengers on single runway ops.

loco

chiglet
31st May 2005, 19:16
Vuelo,
[Yet] AGAIN, I repeat. "Any early arrival at MAN from 'Europe' is an Early Start ".....From Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen...Then Amsterdam, Paris....Oh dear BST rears its head [again].
Loco,
Yup EZY and RYR are doing well,[and good luck to them]. However, when I finished work this AM, Manch was 1435 movements UP on last May [Approx 7pc]. WW and J2 are doing OK. As to BMI LHR....say no more :{
watp,iktch

Vuelo
31st May 2005, 20:55
So do we need EZY and FR? Is that what you are saying, Chiglet?

chiglet
31st May 2005, 21:40
Vueleo,
Watch my lips......
IF you are "inbound" UK, Man EDI NEW, GLA LHR, STN , from "Europe" you have to have "an Early Start".
EZY and RYR START their journeys from LPL. Now imagine [if you can] that the EZY/RYR flights originated in ......Bolognia, Riga, or Heaven forbid "East[tern[ Germany to arrive at LPL at 0700/0800. Just what checkin time would they have :confused:
watp,iktch

This Charming Man
31st May 2005, 22:51
Last Friday Manchester did 799 movements . Bar the European Cup day in 2003 I think this is a record :ok:

Brgds
TCM

AirLCY
1st Jun 2005, 15:44
If AB don't seem to be doing so well, how do HLX seem to be doing on STR and CGN. BA reduced to single daily, so guess the competition is tough with not a huge demand for the route?

Vuelo
1st Jun 2005, 15:54
HLX are booming on the CGN and STR routes, almost full everyday.

gayrugbybloke
3rd Jun 2005, 08:05
Manchester Airport Set For Expansion As Passenger Numbers Continue To Soar

Work has begun on a multi-million pound development scheme to increase the capacity of Manchester Airport by 11 million passengers a year, as passenger numbers continue to soar.

This week, Manchester achieved 22 million passengers a year, just 14 months after it celebrated the 20 million mark. The airport’s master plan identified this milestone as the point at which the airport needs to increase its capacity to be able to continue to grow.

Several major expansion projects are now being kick started. These include:

Terminal 2 Phase 2, the multi-million pound project that will see the capacity of Terminal 2 more than double from its current 7 million to 18 million passengers per year begins this month
The airport is also investing in the airfield, with additional apron capacity around Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 to provide the equivalent of six wide-body or 12 narrow-body aircraft stands
Over 49 new check-in desks across the airport. Twenty-two in Terminal 1, 15 in ‘The Station’ and 12 in Terminal 2.
By 2015, the number of passengers flying from Manchester is set to double to around 40 million every year – nine million more passengers than Gatwick Airport currently handles.

The Department for Transport has said it expects regional airports to grow more rapidly than those in the South East, where the air travel market is more mature. Regional airports like Manchester can flourish as airlines look to operate more point-to-point services using smaller aircraft. This is supported by statistics released earlier this year by the Civil Aviation Authority, which showed that in 2004, Manchester grew faster than both Heathrow and Gatwick.

John Spooner, managing director of Manchester Airport, said: “We have been planning the expansion announced today for a number of years.

“The airport has grown rapidly over that time, with more airlines launching more new routes than ever before.

“By investing in these major expansion projects within the current airport site, and making enhancements to the existing infrastructure, we will be able to accommodate the expected growth and provide a firm foundation for the future.”

Neil Fountain, Chief Executive of MIDAS, Manchester's Investment Agency, said: "This is excellent news for the entire Manchester city-region. Manchester Airport is one of the most important drivers for economic and business growth and this expansion programme will bring benefits far beyond the value of the capital investment involved, through direct job creation and the benefits of new routes.

"The investment will further increase the visibility and status of Manchester in the eyes of the international business community, showcasing the wide range of opportunities for business success and the locational advantages that Manchester offers to companies from around the globe."

ENDS

HOVIS
3rd Jun 2005, 09:32
WIERD THEN THAT RUMOURS IIN THE INDUSTRY RECKON THAT THE NATIONAL CARRIER IS TO PULL OUT OF MAN PRETTY SOON!:mad:

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
3rd Jun 2005, 09:58
Might be a good thing and let someone with a bit of imagination and go try their luck, after all they can`t do any worse

G-I-B

gayrugbybloke
3rd Jun 2005, 12:06
I'll eat hay with the donkeys the day British Airways quit Manchester. What a load of rubbish!

Adola69
3rd Jun 2005, 21:54
:O
EEEEEEE-AAAWWWWW

MAN777
3rd Jun 2005, 21:58
BA to quit MAN !

So thats a daily rotation to JFK, shuttles to LGW and LHR. thats about all BA do if you discount the franchise carriers, so it wouldnt be a great loss. I really cant see BA ditching the shuttles to LHR.

T3 (BA) would be a superb LOCO terminal.

AUTOGLIDE
4th Jun 2005, 07:25
What does BA do at MAN now anyway? It flies some Cessna sized junk that people hate flying on and a 767 to JFK that's constantly rumoured within BA to be getting canned (though cabin worth seeing for nostalgia buffs). The BA policy of not expanding at MAN and instead being a parasite and using the shuttle to transit people at LHR undermines longhaul growth at MAN.
They should get serious or get out instead of just a long sad death.
:mad:

TURIN
4th Jun 2005, 09:19
The JFK is a BA City Express service, as are the rest of the European flights.
BA operate LHR and LGW flights ONLY. :mad:

AUTOGLIDE
4th Jun 2005, 09:31
BA is BA, whether it's citixpress or mainline.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
4th Jun 2005, 10:18
Maybe but then if BA are pulling out why are GB Airways expanding at Manchester

G-I-B

TURIN
4th Jun 2005, 10:42
BA is BA, whether it's citixpress or mainline.

AUTOGLIDE, what reason do you have to make such a statement?

If BACX and BA Mainline are the same, then why are they considered different companies?

BACX are a wholly owned subsidury of BA.

The terms and conditions of employment within BACX are poorer than Mainline, they operate an entirely different and IMO inferior fleet of aircraft and are not exactly a Full Service carrier.

You pay for what you get!!

GB are not owned by BA, they have a franchise contract only.

They also seem to have crew that enjoy their work and are not p1ssed off at their employer every 5 mins.
Hey, maybe that's the trick. Keep the staff happy and the company operates better! Doh, why didn't I think of that?:rolleyes:

AUTOGLIDE
4th Jun 2005, 11:09
If BACX are a wholly owned subsidiary of BA, then they are part of the BA group, just like BAMC is also a wholly owned subsidiary, this is obviously different to GB Airways, who are a franschise and not a wholly owned subsidiary.
Passengers do not differentiate between BA and BACX, they don't tell people they are "flying on BACX, which, by the way, is considered a different company to BA"and don't care whether they are considered deifferent companies or not. The internal demarcations within BA are exactly that, internal and mean nothing in the outside world. If BA operates BACX as a subsidiary so be it, but as it wholly owns, it's BA, like it the livery says.

rutankrd
4th Jun 2005, 13:00
Autoglide actually BA and BACX DO Notify the customers of the difference.
All published timetables and information and BACX operated services ARE clearly marked as such with a legal note.
This may be a blue dot a star an aphabetical letter with comment below . BUT its always there !

Anyways of ALL the worlds leading airlines BA has been contracting in size every which way for some years as company policy.
South East Asia flights serve just a very few routes now (whilst Lufthansa and Air France expand to several Chinese destinations beyond Beijing/Shanghai !)
South America effectively handed to Iberia
West Africa down to Nigeria (Very profitable i admit and a weekly oil related service to Lunada !)
Middle Eastern services reduced with the closure of Saudi flights ( more to this than meets the eye me thinks !)
North Atlantic services staggant really.
No in house full freight just that odd Global Services in association with a large US carrier.
Missing a valuable revenue stream to Asia here for certain !|)
No regional long haul and ever strinking Gatwick operations.
BACX services cut right back to core flights at Birmingham/Manchester/Bristol.
When T5 opens and Bermuda 2 ripped up by Brussels then they will simply move to Heathrow lock stock and barrel.
They are however a stock holder driven company and PROFIT IS EVERYTHING so be it !
One thing is for sure they continue to be very exposed to the whimes of the economic cycles with such concentration on a very few markets.
Effectively a network to New York/Los Angeles/Texas/Toronto/Johannesburg/Sydney/Hong Kong/Tokyo oh and India with European feeders !

AUTOGLIDE
4th Jun 2005, 15:13
Tell you what, so i don't offend anyone else at BA by linking with another part of their own company, please read the first line of my original post as follows "BA CITIexpress fly some Cessna sized junk that people hate flying on" then carry on with the rest.
My point stands, BA have cut back so much at MAN it would make no difference if they weren't there anymore, and that is all of the BA operations at MAN, (disclaimer: no resposibility can be taken by me for anyone at 'Mainline' or 'Citiexpress' or any other internal empire of no consequence to the outside world, who feels traumatised by being linked another part of the same company).
:p

TURIN
4th Jun 2005, 17:34
AUTOGLIDE, methinks you have got the wrong end of the stick.

Three years ago several hundred BA staff were made redundant only to see BACX set up and take their jobs.

What erks, is that during that traumatic (for those involved) time transfering from one, BA to the other, BACX was made very difficult by BA.
By then saying that they are the same company is a little tactless.
I don't expect you to really understand (you had to be there at the time) but please take it from me, several families broke up and many tears were shed during the cuts and the wounds take a long time to heel!:(

Vuelo
4th Jun 2005, 17:37
So has anyone who works for British Airways heard anything about this rumour? Where has it come from? Can anyone substantiate it?

Going loco
4th Jun 2005, 22:32
Rather than blaming BA for the lack of growth, isn't it fairer and more realistic to level criticism at the people who dream up these unrealistic passenger number targets in the first place. The fact that MAN will miss its 30m by 2005 target by a country mile has nothing to do with BA and everything to do with 30m being a pie in the sky number to start with. Presumably a number that had a lot to do with the case for the 2nd runway?

Disapointing then that Spooner has now come out with talk of 40m by 2015 - an equally preposterous number. Ten years from now, will the net be full of people still blaming BA when this one is missed?

loco

AUTOGLIDE
5th Jun 2005, 08:57
Turin,

The post is not about the internal workings of BA, or any of it's subsidiaries. I haven't got the wrong end of the stick, and by the way, i was there at the time and know all about it. My post is about that it wouldn't make any difference if BA left MAN, and for the airport may even be positive. I didn't mention BACX, mainline or whatever because i meant the whole lot.
The shuttle is bad for longhaul growth at MAN by other airlines, and BACX is so small it's irrelevant. The post isn't about whether or not the terms and conditions of BACX crew are rubbish compared with any other department, or any other internal affair for that matter.

concorde001
5th Jun 2005, 15:28
If I am not mistaken, MAN-JFK is not BA Citiexpress anymore. Although the crew are MAN based, the flight is BA operated - if you do the following in Amadeus: DOBA1502/03 it does not say 'operated by BA Citiexpress' as it used to.
Also, regarding the performance of BA MAN-JFK, it is VERY profitable. I have been monitoring the loads for the past three months and J,C class are regularly full as well economy, pretty impressive as it is practically only O and D traffic!
From what I have heard, BA would like to scrap MAN-JFK, but it is a real money earner, that is why they do not. Come on guys, if MAN-JFK was not profitable, do you really think BA would have let the service continue? I don't think so somehow!

TURIN
5th Jun 2005, 21:08
AUTOGLIDE
Tell you what, so i don't offend anyone else at BA by linking with another part of their own company,.......... (disclaimer: no resposibility can be taken by me for anyone at 'Mainline' or 'Citiexpress' or any other internal empire of no consequence to the outside world, who feels traumatised by being linked another part of the same company).

That was the particular end of the stick I was refering to.

As for your other comments, I am inclined to agree.

By the way, I am not crew, I wish I had been 3 years ago, they got a damn sight better deal than the Enginers who were well and truly shafted! :mad:

Let's leave it there and get back on topic.:ok:

Rumour has it that GB will have 4 A320s based at MAN very soon.:D

Adola69
5th Jun 2005, 23:45
It doesn't matter what one's OPINION is of BA's commitment to Manchester, be it Cityexpress or mainline, It's the accountants that have the final say these days.
Example:
As I understand it, the Hangar that used to be LOOSLEY termed the 'NEW BA Hangar' has been empty now for some 18 months plus. BA along with MA stumped up the cash to build this. However apparently it is now less of a burden to BA, remaining unused and empty than if it were fully utilised. It's still however,viewed as an asset, so whilst that's the case nobody else can use it, as it 'OURS'!!!
BA Citiexpress have expressed an interest in using it rather than their present very cramped and awkward premises in Hangar 4 ( I Think it is called that, - the old Dan-Air one), but the rental that BA/MA want for it is very prohibitive, so it remains a complete waste of space, when space is at a premium at the momment!

Germany is a bigger country size wise than the UK, but come on, why is it that Lufthansa Mainline can sustain two hubs, Frankfurt and Munich, without much problem?
They obviously have better accountants than BA?
I'd just love BA to get out a bit and go for Somewhere, ANYWHERE, than the bleedin SE of ENGLAND. They'll never atract me I'm afraid, I'd rather stage through anywhere than the SE

:{ :{

no, no, no
6th Jun 2005, 09:40
You have to remember that not many people in the world want to travel to FRA or MUC. LH have these set up as hub operations with so much connecting traffic. Those who are going may have a decent amount of business purpose travel. I woudl guess about 70-80% connex?

On the other hand, LON is a destination that people want to go to. I do not think of BA at LHR as a hub operator - the slots do not enable them to work the bank structure that true hub operators have. Instead they have a lot of flights going to London, with the major benefit of being able to connect these pax on for the additional revenue. I would say this is about 30% on average?

If BA became the LH type of operation then they could do in MAN what LH do in MUC. However keep in mind that the business demand for MAN is never going to be enough for a full network operation.

Also, if we compare the UK to Germany, BA has had a secondary carrier to contend with on both markets - bmi on shorthaul and Virgin on longhaul (now bmi also on longhaul) - LH have had the benefit of not having such major carriers restricting growth - thus being able to grow to wherever they want - and get all pax.

Also on low cost, the UK has had fierce competition from the likes of easyjet and Ryanair also snapping at their heals - whilst this doesn't impact on longhaul it does on shorthaul which doesn't help a carrier when trying to grow - hence I think their decision to not focus anything elsewhere.

And you should also compare the amount of other longhaul flights to MAN vs MUC - I don't know much about MUC, but if you consider MAN has ORD x2, JFK, EWR x2, ATL, MIA, BOS, PHL, IAD, MCO, LAS, YYZ, YVR etc it doesn't mean you can jump in and dominate!!

At the end of the day (and being ready for abuse) I think BA have done the right thing in staying away from MAN and focusing their longhaul efforts on LHR where the true demand is.

I think people forget how much more competitive the UK has been for many years versus the continent so don't think any useful comparisons exist.

Vuelo
6th Jun 2005, 10:29
Wouldn't American Airlines come in and operate the JFK if BA were to relinquish it? Or maybe een Sinapore or Cathay, with a HKG/KUL - MAN - JFK rotation.

Porky Speedpig
6th Jun 2005, 13:32
Why would SQ/CX wnat to do that Vuelo when they have just bought aircraft specially to operate non stop from SIN/HKG - JFK?
I think they are also prevented from routing over MAN by the various bilaterals.

cbt_bear_MAN
7th Jun 2005, 15:10
Anyone heard the rumour about Iberia coming back with a twice daily Madrid service? Does this mean BA are pulling off this route?

Vuelo
8th Jun 2005, 10:11
Taken from Manchester Airport website

June Media Update

Airport Tops 22 Million Passengers Per Year
Airport Scoops Green Award
Airport’s Busiest Ever Day
Most Popular Routes Revealed
Airport Throughput Reaches 22 Million Passengers Per Year

This month sees passenger throughput reach 22 million passengers, just 14 months since the airport passed the 20 million passenger milestone. The launch of more new routes than ever before during 2004 is pushing the figure ever higher as more and more passengers choose to fly from Manchester because of increased choice in both low cost and long haul.

Airport Scoops Green Award

The airport is celebrating its success after winning the prestigious “Best Environmental Practice” category at the Northwest Business Environment Awards.

MA scooped the award for its “Carbon Management in Action” strategy that aims to reduce the airport’s carbon emissions and has already proved extremely effective to date – 10 per cent of electricity across the airport site now comes from renewable sources saving 4,300 tonnes of carbon dioxide a year.

Friday 27th May: The Airport’s Busiest Ever Operational Day

Figures from National Air Traffic Services (NATS) have revealed that Friday 27th May was the airport’s busiest ever-operational day, with 799 movements (take-offs and landings). The only day higher than this was the day of the UEFA Champions League final at Old Trafford, where the airport handled the arrival of thousands of Italian football supporters.

Most Popular Routes Revealed

The airport’s traffic statistics report for 2004 has revealed the most popular destinations for the 21 million passengers who flew out of Manchester during the year.

Most popular….

International destination (scheduled flights): Dublin (622,000 passengers)
Domestic destination (scheduled flights): London Heathrow (1,400,000 passengers)
International destination (charter flights): Tenerife (803,000 passengers)
Country (all flights): United States of America (1,291,765 passengers)

Terminal Passenger Statistics

May 2005
Passengers
% Change vs 2004

Domestic 288,480

Scheduled International 834,535

Charter

Private / Miscellaneous

Total

Contacts:

Jennifer Walley (Senior Communications Manager) 0161 489 2705
Kerry Spink (Senior Press Officer) 0161 489 3446
Trevor Evers (Press Officer) 0161 489 2700
Jeanette Bate (PR Executive) 0161 489 2727

“Manchester Airport aims to be the airport of choice – internationally recognised by airlines and tour operators as the preferred partner in the development of their business.”

TEL: 0161 489 2700 FAX: 0161 489 2702 EMAIL: [email protected]

MANCHESTER AIRPORT...

The UK's Largest Regional Airport
100 Airlines Serving 200 Destinations

gayrugbybloke
8th Jun 2005, 12:37
Any news on Global Spirit? Is it going to hppen?

PRobe
9th Jun 2005, 08:58
TTG has reported Excel is looking at CPT from MAN and LGW.

Vuelo
9th Jun 2005, 14:49
As a charter or a scheduled operation?

PRobe
9th Jun 2005, 15:04
Looks like a charter. A kind of CT2 Mk2 at a guess though I know new management at CT2 won't touch South Africa with a barge pole.

initial
9th Jun 2005, 16:44
Jet 2 winter flights to Spain on sale now. No mention of Valencia, has it been dropped? or is it just seasonal?

Malaga, Alicante not even daily, Murcia only 2/3 times a week

monkey lover
9th Jun 2005, 22:05
CT2 not touching South Africa......probably because they still havent paid the bills from their last attempt !!

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
9th Jun 2005, 22:53
Winter schedules, better to operate a reduced service with a fantastic load factor plus high yield and make plenty of money than operate a service where you struggle to fill at cheap fares

G-I-B

Leodis
10th Jun 2005, 08:55
Initial... Jet2 have only released some of their winter program, the wording is 'Spain' on sale. I was told that the full winter program will be released over the course of a couple of weeks to safeguard their website from crashing.

I don't think its rocket science that the majority of new flights will be from LBA, because Manchester is still a new base and really Jet2 are still toe testing. I'm sure PM will announce new flights from MAN in good time for next summer, perhaps a little juggling will take place with those none preformers!

ezy733
10th Jun 2005, 15:59
Don'n forget the high level meeting they had at Liverpool:} Hope I havn't rattled any cages or let the cat out of the bag saying this:E

BombardierCR7
10th Jun 2005, 19:39
Don'n forget the high level meeting they had at Liverpool

Who said that was to do with Liverpool!

Going loco
10th Jun 2005, 20:15
Suggesting the meeting was about one of Peel Holding's other airports, namely DSA or MME? Suppose they'll need somewhere to put some B737s if they go ahead and pull the dud routes at MAN.

loco

PTH needs tarmac
15th Jun 2005, 12:52
Against all the reports of poor loads Jet2 will continue their MAN-LGW service almost unchanged over the winter.

Weekdays are still three times daily but with a reduction to just one flight each on Saturday and Sunday.

PTH

PS the Murcia service will now run daily for a short period around Christmas/New Year so further tweaks may be seen on other routes too.

gayrugbybloke
15th Jun 2005, 15:15
It's summer, it's busy, there are tons of passengers, elderly people, families with buggies, and guess what......Manchester Airport has closed down the travelators from T1 to, and the escalators at, The Station.

You sure know how to p1ss people off, Manchester Airport.

Vuelo
15th Jun 2005, 17:58
I read on the internet today that Jet2 are to operate a five-times a week Manchester to Chambery service, as well as the Geneva service daily, from December 17th. Anyone know any more?

Shed-on-a-Pole
16th Jun 2005, 01:35
Yes, the Jet2 Winter MAN-Chambery service has gone on sale as you state. Further to this, BMI Baby's Winter programme has now gone on sale also and includes MAN-Bordeaux (previously Summer only) and the return of MAN-Geneva which was a surprise omission last Winter. Jet2, BMI Baby and - presumably - BA CitiExpress are set for a head-to-head on MAN-GVA this Winter. Let's hope there's enough Winter sports nuts to fill all these and the charters too!

Best, SHED.

Mouser
16th Jun 2005, 10:36
I,am after a bit of info regarding GB Airways based a/c , how many are based now, how many to come and over what time scale.
TIA.

Curious Pax
16th Jun 2005, 14:33
GB have announced 3x weekly to Marrakech; 2x weekly to Gran Canaria and 2x weekly to Lanzarote from MAN today. There was also a comment which was slightly cryptic, but which I interpreted as meaning that Tenerife will increase from 2x weekly to daily. The current 3x weekly to Dubrovnik will stop for the winter as planned, but on the face of it they will need a second MAN-based aircraft to run these flights (the daily Malaga is a W from LGW at the moment).

Vuelo
16th Jun 2005, 17:08
Great news for Manchester, the first scheduled service from outside London to Morocco ever, I believe?

Gran Canaria is a good choice, too, and I bet has hacked off Monarch who would have had their eye on that route, no doubt.

eggc
16th Jun 2005, 19:18
Anyone heard of BMED's plans to base 3 x 320s at MAN ??

Moscow, St Petersburg, Cairo & Moscow mentioned as destinations.

gayrugbybloke
16th Jun 2005, 19:50
I smell a rat here.......there seems to be lots of talk on this and other forums about BA's demise at MAN, but with GB AIrways' expansion (which to the man on the street is BA) and apparently now British Mediterranean Airways' plans, it seems that BA will still have a presence at MAN, but not as Citiexpress maybe? What do others think?

Plus, wouldn't Moscow, St Petersburg and Jeddah be new destinations for BMed? And can Jeddah and Cairo be reached with an A320?

17th Jun 2005, 15:12
All that BMed talk of Manch is news to me and I work for 'em! Not even heard that mentioned around the pubs and clubs downroute. What makes you think they'd operate from there?

I don't think we could operate Manchester with the number of aircraft we have nor with the remaining orders of new aircraft until a couple of years from now. Unless they drop some of the other routes which on average are profitable.

As for distances in a A320. We operate to Ekaterinburg as a non-stop flight and to Tehran which are further than St Petes and Cairo. As for the Jeddah, I suppose hypothetically it could be done as a 1 stop like some of the other routes down to Khartoum and Addis.

gayrugbybloke
17th Jun 2005, 15:41
From July, the BBC will be basing a new hour-long travel consumer programme at Manchester Airport. Entitled 'Departure Lounge', the studio will be constructed in the departure lounge at Termonal 1, and it will be presented by Nick Knowles and Simon Calder.

Replacing A Question of Sport and Top of the Pops, the show will broadcast live for ten weks at 7pm on Fridays and last one hour.

Shed-on-a-Pole
17th Jun 2005, 23:15
Aaaaah .... brings back fond memories of 'The Travel Show' which used to be broadcast from the Gate 21 area in T1. Always enjoyed identifying the aircraft taxying in the background (sad, I know). Let's hope this new offering can match the success of it's ancient ancestor. Bring back the "Matthew's Travels" feature!

chiglet
18th Jun 2005, 00:01
The "prog" was being rehearsed/recorded on the top floor of the Station on Wednesday.
I think that RAMjet [Royal Air Maroc] was a "scheduled" service to Morocco :confused:
watp,iktch

Jet A1
19th Jun 2005, 14:54
Re GB -- 2nd MAN based A320 arrives early OCT for the new flights.

Re BMED -- Could all happen when GB buy-out BMED which is a good rumour !

Mr A Tis
20th Jun 2005, 13:01
Chiglet, that filming was for Corrie. Unless Steve MacDonald, Amy & Tracy are going to be in the travel show !!

chiglet
23rd Jun 2005, 22:26
Had to walk "the long way round" the Station, saw the cameras and the catering trucks......read "Plane Talk", 2 +2 = 99 sorry :O
watp,iktch

Vuelo
23rd Jun 2005, 22:27
Is the daily Air Canada service to Toronto to continue throughout the winter season?

jimbo canuck
24th Jun 2005, 13:42
AC is a summer only service. Rumour in Toronto is it won't be back next year.

Lord Toofouright
24th Jun 2005, 20:44
Anyone care to confirm or otherwise that Manchester has seen the last of the MASKargo frieghters. I know it was reduced from two to one flight per week quite soon into its operation, but one was better than non at all, but alas I fear the worst seeing it hasn't op'd for some weeks now!

Long live the MNG service or is that temporary as well?

Frieghters, bring 'em all in!!

Mi 'lud signing off.

:( :( :(

gayrugbybloke
26th Jun 2005, 09:18
Anyone know the latest situation with Air Berlin? Are they ceasing operations at Manchester at the end of the summer? I notice their Manchester services are the only UK routes not on sale....

conradmueller
27th Jun 2005, 05:33
There are also the flights from Southamton not on Sale yet.
Air Berlin has only got a few flights on for sale for the winter yet, specially the classic charter destinations.

This Charming Man
27th Jun 2005, 13:23
Re Air Berlin W05/06

Apparently no slots have been applied for on the TXL/MAN/TXL ,but they have applied to increase
DUS to twice daily !

Curious Pax
27th Jun 2005, 14:21
any other interesting snippets from the latest slot round for us to pontificate on? Given the lack of a furore this time round I assume EZY haven't had another go for MAN ops!

Vuelo
28th Jun 2005, 07:09
This route is being rumoured heavily round the airport.....could we expect an announcement soon...?

conradmueller
29th Jun 2005, 15:02
according to an E-Mail I just received from the Air Berlin Press department, there will be no more Air Berlin flights to Manchester from Winter:
"Sehr geehrter Herr Müller,

danke für Ihre Anfrage. Leider wird Air Berlin Manchester im Winter nicht mehr anfliegen.

Mit bestem Guß
Angelika Schwaff"

Shed-on-a-Pole
29th Jun 2005, 15:14
Your observation that the Winter slot list has not yet been widely discussed is well-founded. However, I suggest that there is good reason for this. In the recent past (last couple of years or so?) MAN's slot-lists have appeared on PPRUNE and elsewhere in the public domain apparently within hours of being circulated internally. This should not happen; the results can actually be very damaging in two respects.

Firstly, the leaking of information regarding early-stage interest from airlines considering a service to any airport alerts the marketing departments of nearby rivals to pick up the phone, issue invitations, wine & dine, launch a charm-offensive and make "offers which can't be refused." This is damaging to the business whose commercially sensitive information has been leaked in the first place.

Secondly, the role of the slot-list is not widely understood in the public domain. Certain well-meaning over-enthusiastic amateurs interpret information contained therein as an assurance that named services *will* be launched. Inevitably, when many of these fail to transpire, we have the usual round of "more big names down the pan" and "useless management" postings. The simple truth is that the slot list is speculative by definition, and the hefty no-show rate is a fact of life in the aviation business. This is true of all major airports, but MAN has been especially exposed to criticism as a result of it's slot-lists being leaked. I am not aware of any instance where the slot list of another UK airport has appeared on PPRUNE (if I'm wrong please correct me), and there is good reason for that.

If anybody requires a reminder of the issues raised by my comments, scroll back to Jan/Feb on this thread. Look at the silly false hopes raised by the Summer list, followed by the acrimonious postings which followed as airlines returned slots. Next, take a look at the MAN Summer schedules which have transpired in reality, and the growth which has seen the airport surpass 22 million passengers in a 12-month period. Not a bad result for a management mercilessly lambasted on here for not securing the business of every kite-flying fancy on the slot-list. This is the reality, and the only fair yardstick by which the MAplc team can be measured.

I am fortunate that my employer (not MAplc ... surprise!!!) does receive a copy of the slot-list; however, it is always entirely clear that it's contents are considered confidential in nature and should not be distributed beyond our walls. So I do understand the frustrations of those left to wonder what appeared on the list whilst a fortunate few already know. But look back to Jan/Feb on this thread and you will see a clear example on the record of why the speculative slot-list should be retained in confidence by MAplc and it's partners.

Finally, do not suppose that you are missing all the juicy clues by not seeing the slot-list anyway. JET2 services appeared at MAN quite out of the blue ... they were not on a circulated slot-list prior to the big announcement. Similarly, I don't recall Air Berlin appearing on the slot-list prior to announcing their intentions a year ago. And when BMI Baby first turned up, they appeared to use slots which had been booked for British Midland schedules to Paris & Brussels etc., no doubt intentionally keeping the project out of the public eye (and away from the gaze of competitors) until the time was right! With regard to Easyjet speculation, a similar scenario is likely to transpire. *If* they plan to serve MAN we'll all hear about it on the day of the big announcement and not a moment before. Anything else is idle rumour ...

Best to All. Flames welcome.

SHED.

gayrugbybloke
30th Jun 2005, 09:40
I cannot believe Air Berline, who have had barely a year's operation at MAN are going to axe all their routes......

eggc
30th Jun 2005, 12:17
off to LPL perhaps ?

dwlpl
30th Jun 2005, 14:25
Could well be correct because EZY have not included (as yet) LPL/CGN in its winter schedules.

gayrugbybloke
30th Jun 2005, 16:12
Cologne isn't an Air Berlin destination from Manchester.

dwlpl
30th Jun 2005, 17:41
No, but could be from Liverpool.

Caslance
30th Jun 2005, 21:30
..... or from Blackpool

cbt_bear_MAN
1st Jul 2005, 16:18
I was told by one the cashiers in Marks & Spencer Simply Food at the The Station today that it will be closing down at the end of the month. This, after just a year of operation. The closure has apparently been put down to being located in a too quiet a part of the airport.

We could have told them that.

Shame though, as although not many general public use it, staff do!

Vuelo
3rd Jul 2005, 09:31
Does anyone know when the aircraft that operates MAN to JFK goes in for its refurbishment? What will it be replaced with while it is being tarted up?

Porky Speedpig
3rd Jul 2005, 13:47
It will be replaced by an already refurbished 767. Some time in the New Year.

chiglet
3rd Jul 2005, 14:31
Re M&S and the Coffee Shop. They are only open "High St." hours. I've lost count of the no of pax looking at both places at 7am and shaking their heads [also closed on Sundays:confused: ]
watp,iktch

agent x
3rd Jul 2005, 16:07
yeh i agree, M & S was put in a bad position so im not suprised that it's closing. Same thing happened years ago with Harrods in terminal one. They did a great trade in plastic carrier bags but not much else! Its all down to bad planning, Harrods should have been in T2 with all the US carriers, same goes for M & S.

Shed-on-a-Pole
4th Jul 2005, 12:49
Sadly, location was not the only problem affecting the Airport M&S. It failed to tailor it's offering to it's largest potential market: the staff! Opening times have already been mentioned. But they also spurned innovations which could have earned them very significant extra trade.

Within days of them opening I pointed out to the duty M&S staff that if they were to accept Luncheon Vouchers (as does the M&S in Manchester Piccadilly Gardens) they would do very well indeed. I - and around 200 airport-based colleagues - receive over £500 in LV's annually from my employer. I would have dearly loved the convenience of using them ALL in the airport M&S. No doubt many colleagues (and other airport-based staff) would have used the facility too. But in the absence of M&S taking them, one uses those LV's elsewhere. In my case, that meant buying the very meals (for work breaks) which I would have preferred to buy locally from M&S if it had been possible to do so. I politely pointed this out to the M&S managers on several occasions, but the response was always a knowing smile and that pitying look which says they wouldn't be seen dead stooping to accept LV's.

Well, sadly, M&S's loss has been Sainsbury Local's gain [Piccadilly Station]. They've had all my LV's. And the top-up cash too. Multiply that by afew heads and you're talking significant loss of business for a small M&S branch. I'm saddened by the closure of M&S, but a company which fails to adapt to it's market must eventually die. I just hope this doesn't prevent a well-run grocer having a go on the Manchester Airport site.

As for M&S, the sooner they're taken over by someone with a bit of business acumen the better. Nice products, useless customer awareness.

gayrugbybloke
4th Jul 2005, 17:31
They should consider a site in the refurbished arrivals hall at T1, like at LHR T4. Just think of all the bread and milk they would sell to recently arrived home holidaymakers!

Let's face it, you kust wouldn;t open a business at The Station, you just WOULDN'T! It's a white elephant. The trams will never arrive, the escalators never work, the bus station is too far away from the terminals, the rail ticket office is poorly located, there is nowhere to buy a National Express ticket...and it calls itself a 'revolutionary transport hub'.....hmmmmm.....

agent x
4th Jul 2005, 18:01
and with the newly started Travel City Direct/Air Atlanta Europe Check in area who knows what it should be called? Or perhaps the signs should read 'Terminal 1 - 2 miles away along the broken travelators check in' in the vein of T1 Ground Level Check In!

Well done Manchester yet another blinder! Way to confuse the passengers. Im fed up of being asked where check in desks 400-410 are, especially when you tell the pax its in the station and they look at you like you are mental!

I wonder how many happy bucket and spaders end up in T2 departures cos they took a wrong turn at check in!

Agent x has spoken! :ok:

gayrugbybloke
5th Jul 2005, 09:58
Any news on the slots for winter 2005/2006 yet? What can we expect? Also, did the Minsk flights ever start?

Curious Pax
5th Jul 2005, 10:51
Indeed the Belavia flights have started, at the beginning of June with 735s as planned (weekly on a Monday). Punctuality is very good, but no idea of the loads.

gayrugbybloke
5th Jul 2005, 12:10
I want a Pret a Manger at Manchester Airport!

Vuelo
7th Jul 2005, 20:20
A tweety bird tells me Liverpool is to lose its FlyBe Glasgow service from August, and it's Ryanair Nimes service....any truth in it?

Danny_R
7th Jul 2005, 23:08
I believe this has already been mentioned in the Liverpool thread, Nimes is probably being mentioned after the rumours of the possibility of Nimes closing, but I'm told that the airport has enough funds for the next 12 months or so, so services will probably continue for now.

Glasgow has indeed gone for the Winter.

Vuelo
8th Jul 2005, 08:10
Perhaps we'll see an increase in presence of FlyBe at MAN?

pwalhx
8th Jul 2005, 10:44
If I remember correctly FlyBe wanted to operate from Manchester but couldn't gain the slots it needed.

That's probably why they went to Liverpool.

Therefore, as Liverpool seems to be going well for them and the slot situation doesn't seem any different at Manchester I think it is unlikely.

This Charming Man
8th Jul 2005, 22:41
HLX are to increase Stuttgart-Manchester this winter to 5 per week.Last winter it was 3 a week. Currently they operate 4 per week. A quick look at HLX.COM confirms that the new flights are now on sale.

gayrugbybloke
9th Jul 2005, 09:47
Still no word on Air Berlin? This doesn;t look like it will be good news then.

What we need are more flights to Eastern Europe! Brno, Wroclaw, Gdansk, Vilnius....the ones we have are packed everyday!

symphonyangel
10th Jul 2005, 09:40
I guess a lot of that market and the Baltics is also becoming Ryanair territory and with them selling so well from Liverpool they should be adding more soon. As its only 30 minutes from MAN, the northwest will then be well served and we won't have to go to STN for these flights.

TURIN
10th Jul 2005, 21:56
Northwest to Detroit...?

Load of ar5e! Official.:*

cbt_bear_MAN
11th Jul 2005, 11:09
That's certainly not what I have heard from my sources, TURIN. With all rumours on here, a flat denial oftens means it will happen.

Keep watching.....

This Charming Man
11th Jul 2005, 17:01
As per a previous post I also received a similar email from AB PR

thank you for your mail.

We do not offer flights to Manchester in Winter 2005/2006. That why you cannot book the flights for February 2006.

Best regards,

Silke Manitz

UNQOUTE

So lets discuss , why could'nt Air Berlin make it work from MAN ?
Did MAPLC goof ? This airline has just been named Europe's best LOCO carrier , and it is airport policy to become the North's airport of choice for LOCO airlines , see press release below ....

Press Releases
Airline ranking: Air Berlin is No. 1 in Europe

08. Juni 2005
Air Berlin is Europe’s best low-cost carrier. That is the result of an independent passenger survey carried out by Skytrax, a London-based consultancy. More than 12 million business travellers and holidaymakers from 94 countries took part in the survey.

In the European rankings Air Berlin was in first place, followed by Vueling (Spain) and Easyjet (UK). Worldwide Air Berlin is in second place, after JetBlue (USA) and ahead of Virgin Blue (Australia).

According to “Spiegel Online” the respondents rated the airlines both on the ground and in the air. At the airport it was the check-in and boarding procedure, as well as the way the companies handled delays, and also the friendliness of staff that were closely assessed. During the flight it was a question of onboard facilities, the condition of the aircraft and the service provided by the staff. Additional points were awarded for cleanliness, comfortable seats and good food.

Air Berlin’s managing director, Joachim Hunold, commented: “At the national level Air Berlin has already come out on top in a number of surveys. However, the fact that we have achieved first place in the most representative survey that has ever been conducted at an international level – and by a British company too – is a true accolade and an honour. We will do everything we can to maintain our high standard of quality.”

:confused:

Curious Pax
11th Jul 2005, 20:18
From this corner of South Manchester TCM I would say that lack of advertising was top of the list of Air Berlin's mistakes. The occasional visible advert contrasted starkly with Jet2's poster campaign. I would say both airlines started from the same point - hardly known in the Northwest of England, which Jet2 realised and Air Berlin seemingly didn't. Being well known in Germany doesn't mean that your average Brit has ever heard of you.

I also suspect that they didn't win many friends among the city break fraternity, as from the UK end finishing your time away with a 6am flight isn't a good move IMHO.

It would be interesting to know the proportion of UK originating traffic against the German end, as I would think that the UK end would be higher, and points 1 and 2 above would discourage them.

In contrast HLX seem to be doing OK, but they have a stable schedule, and fly in the early evening which must help. I would have thought that given the mix of AB's traffic sending an aircraft on a bucket and spade run from Berlin to (say) Palma, followed by a lunchtime flight to/from MAN would have been a better bet. They seemed to realise that later on judging from the schedule changes they made, but I suspect that the writing was already on the wall by then.

You would hope that the MAN management would realise the above, and have pointed this out to AB, but who knows.

cbt_bear_MAN
12th Jul 2005, 11:18
I hear rumour from a usually reliable source that GB Airways (BA to the man on the street) could well be flying to Sharm el Sheikh and Rhodes soon from Manchester.....

TURIN
13th Jul 2005, 08:56
Sounds about right. GB to have 4 aircraft based at MAN by next summer.
Bring it on.:ok:

Scottie Dog
13th Jul 2005, 16:53
MAplc have released their July update and I see the following announcement that seems to have been missed on this forum.

"Bulgaria Air will operate a new twice-weekly service from Sofia on Thursdays and Sundays. The new flights are planned to commence on 2nd October and will be operated with the B737-300 aircraft offering 148 seats. Flights will arrive at 14:45 and depart 1 hour later at 15:45."

Figures for June show a 5.65pc increase in terminal passengers to 2,232,951. Air Transport movements were up by 6.3pc to 21778 - that's a daily average of 726 (or an hourly movement rate of 30 per hour when spread over a 24 hour period).

Scottie Dog

conradmueller
14th Jul 2005, 05:27
Air Berlin is staying on in Manchester in the Winter.
But only with flights to Paderborn and Hamburg.
They are now bookable.

Vuelo
14th Jul 2005, 09:04
Thats relatively good news, but it seems amazing that Air Berlin could not make Berlin work from Manchester. Granted their slots were terrible, but from what I saw of the passenger profile they did a brisk trade in ex=pat Poles.

Maybe Dresden or Leipzig may be a better option..?

I was talking to a passenger at MAN a few days ago who had just arrived with LS. The pax was very impressed with the service it seemed, and mentioned that the crew had told him that LS were looking at expanding their route network from Manchester even further, and that one of the cabin crew mentioned New York as a possible future route. During the conversation with the cabin crew member, the passenger told me that the supervisor came along and told the more junior cabin crew member \'not to give away all our secrets!\'.

Certainly LS could make it as far as NYC with a 757, but o people want lo-co to the USA?

Caslance
14th Jul 2005, 17:37
......but do people want lo-co to the USA?Seemed quite popular with the punters the last time it was tried by that chap with the DC10s.

The banks weren't too keen in the end, mind you. :ooh:

cbt_bear_MAN
15th Jul 2005, 11:22
Anyone know whether it is true that B Pier at Terminal One is to be demolished and rebult as part of this multi-million pound investment programme at Manchester Airport Again I used it this week on arrival from Spain and it is a real nightmare for everyone, the able-bodied, elderly and those with kids. The only escalator on it was, of course, out of order.

lexxity
15th Jul 2005, 19:38
Oh please, please, please, please,pleeeeeeaaaaaaaasssseeeeee

But, sadly, I suspect B pier is to remain, they are busy faffing around with it right now, adding new seating areas in departures by eating into the arrivals side.

gayrugbybloke
16th Jul 2005, 08:08
It's a disgrace.

Vuelo
18th Jul 2005, 10:16
Alpha are to open a new outlet in the refurbished Terminal One arrivals area, like already exists at various other airports in the London area.

Mr A Tis
18th Jul 2005, 13:43
Oh great........another shop, you'd never know that virtually every escalator, walkway & lift in the whole airport needed either replacing or complete refurb:ugh:

Vuelo
18th Jul 2005, 17:17
John Spooner, the MD of Manchester Airport plc will be taking calls from the public for one hour from 11am til midday on Tuesday 19th July on BBC GMR.

If you are not in the Manchester area, you can listen live online at www.bbc.co.uk/manchester

Wonder what escuses we'll hear this time round, and how much he will trumpet British Airways 'commitment' to Manchester?!

The last time he was on this show, he declared a Cathay service was in the pipeline, along with a service to mainland China too.....hmmmmm

cbt_bear_MAN
20th Jul 2005, 09:03
I take it from the deafening silence that this Managing Director bloke said nothing of interest on the radio yesterday?

This Charming Man
21st Jul 2005, 23:20
Heard today that Eastern Airways will increase the MAN-STN flights to 4 a day starting mid sept .They will also introduce a Saturday flight to the INV service.

BMI Baby will remain at 4 acft for the Winter (same as this summer) . They will continue with BOD (was summer only) aswell as re-introducing GVA.

Question , who's cargo reps are confirming plans for a new 3x week longhaul service by selling freight space ! ;)

Vuelo
22nd Jul 2005, 07:04
Seems strange Jet2 still havent put their AMS and LGW services on sale for the winter yet....wonder why not?

pwalhx
22nd Jul 2005, 08:26
Vuelo

I think you will find Jet2 LGW is on sale it is AMS and EDI that remain as 'coming soon' on the website.

Vuelo
22nd Jul 2005, 13:50
Well if Jet2 dont get their act together, they'll lose customers on these routes. People will book with KLM if Jet2 still haven't been able to finalise their winter schedles.

I assume we are to generally see a reduction in Jet2's operations out of MAN this winter? No Vebice, Valecia, Pisa, for example.

conradmueller
22nd Jul 2005, 15:56
Air Berlin is ceasing ops from DUS to MAN already on Aug. 14th.:(

Vuelo
22nd Jul 2005, 16:17
Air Berlin are bog useless if they can't make lo-co to Germany work from Manchester. I never once saw an AB advertisement...did anyone else?

What's al this about AA continuing with the BOS service through the winter? Is this as well as Chicago and Miami? Wow, T3 is really coming in to its own now!

lexxity
22nd Jul 2005, 18:41
Vuelo according to a reliable source at BA they are taking on the BOS in the winter so that AA can operate the MIA again!

Also heard "rumours" about a new west coast service by a UK carrier, are we on the same lines TCM ?

This Charming Man
22nd Jul 2005, 18:56
lexxity , nope , the route would be what you would call seriously long haul :ok:

(Hope you dont mind this teaser , the list has boring of late :) )

Vuelo
22nd Jul 2005, 19:17
Air New Zealand MAN - LAX - AKL

Ringwayman
22nd Jul 2005, 20:07
I gather AA's BOS service will continue until just past the new year when the MIA service will return and run for about 3 months and then we'll have the BOS service again from late March.

Vuelo
22nd Jul 2005, 20:16
Where on Earth is the business sense in running a Miami service for 12 weeks?! I sense something in the pipeline between AA and BA here......

cbt_bear_MAN
23rd Jul 2005, 09:40
Are we talking a Japan link at last?!

lexxity
23rd Jul 2005, 10:32
I had heard MAN-LAX but not with NZ.

The AA MIA route is more or less purely for cruise traffic for the peak season and is packed out everyday, AA are onto a good thing with it.

cbt_bear_MAN
23rd Jul 2005, 10:58
So AA to LAX from MAN too, is that what you are saying Lexx?!

agent x
23rd Jul 2005, 12:04
the route of MAN-LAX could well be correct but the carrier choice isn't cbt_bear. Heed the words of the ever wise Lexxity, the rumoured operator of this service is a UK based carrier.

Agent X :E :ok:

cbt_bear_MAN
23rd Jul 2005, 12:22
BMI or BA then...!

agent x
23rd Jul 2005, 13:23
those who know fly........

Agent x:ok:

aeulad
23rd Jul 2005, 14:08
I would guess at Virgin to San Fransisco?

Regards

Mike

MichaelDoyle
23rd Jul 2005, 15:13
Hi
Heard the Northwest rumour to Detroit againg today.Also that bmi might be bringing the A330 from LHR back to MAN next year if they get a pair of A340's to operate out of LHR.
Thanks
Michael

gayrugbybloke
23rd Jul 2005, 15:38
What does 'those who know fly...' mean?!

This all sounds like cobblers to me.

Barber's Pole Bob
23rd Jul 2005, 16:48
MAN-LAX --- GB Airways going to take over the MAN-JFK route for BA using A330's if they can get hold of them !!

gayrugbybloke
23rd Jul 2005, 16:53
So where does that leave MAN LAX then?!

And where will GB get a A330 from?!

lexxity
23rd Jul 2005, 21:59
Those who know fly (insert three letter carrier name here)! This is a good game isn't it?:p

And this is from a very reliable source.

agent x
24th Jul 2005, 04:44
LMAO Lexxity :ok: 10 points for the first one who gets it! MAN - LAX to be operated by...... clue - 'those who know fly........' - see Lexxity post above for a hint! :E

Agent x:}

gayrugbybloke
24th Jul 2005, 05:44
BMI!! I get 10 points and a big kiss from Lexx!!!

So they will be operating LAX, LAS, ORD, ANU, BGI, UVF...hmmmm..can't see it myself!

bozzy
24th Jul 2005, 07:56
were have you heard of gb takin over the man-jfk flights using an a330!!

they dont own an a330 and do you think ba would let gb have a profitable route all for themselves

i think this is a stupid rumour!! gb only does shorthaul from man but they are expanding

luv if the rumour was true luv to do that route when i start!!

gayrugbybloke
24th Jul 2005, 08:03
The most unusual rumours usually turn out to be the correct ones! So, GB take over the BA JFK...why not? You can easily lease an A330.

agent x
24th Jul 2005, 08:13
Well Done gayrugbybloke 10 points to you and a Millies Muffin.

All I can say is watch this space...something is afoot...this is from a v reliable source!

Agent x :ok:

gayrugbybloke
24th Jul 2005, 08:24
Well that would make sense....there is a rumour of an Air NZ service to AKL from MAN via LAX, but with Star Alliance codeshares, BD could do well on this route with all the UA/NZ traffic through LA.

Still leaves the riddle of whether we are to see long haul expansion at T3 though.....

Whatever happened to HKG?!

This Charming Man
25th Jul 2005, 13:37
Lex and all

yep the cargo reps offering space are ANZ . 3x week via LA
to start next spring I have been told :ok:

Also our friends Cathay are reportedly back on the scene . This time though it's daily but still via SVO :confused: !

Vuelo
25th Jul 2005, 16:46
When are we likely to hear an announcement about the new ANZ service?

eggc
25th Jul 2005, 18:50
1000th reply...yippee...Fame at last

Any idea of equip to be used by ANZ ?

An earlier post mentioned 763's...but is this possible !!!

surely a job for a heavier heavy ie B744 or 772ER ( due soon to ANZ )

cbt_bear_MAN
25th Jul 2005, 21:37
This sounds like another EasyJet rumour to me!!

So if we ring a few cargo agens, will they confirm this new service....???