PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Airlines, Airports & Routes (https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes-85/)
-   -   Jet2-5 (https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/600427-jet2-5-a.html)

awwdabaaby 14th May 2020 11:56


Originally Posted by Mr @ Spotty M (Post 10782318)
It makes no difference between testing 100,000 or 60,000 per day.
If the figure was 60 million a day, then that would matter.
You can test negative today and positive tomorrow as the test cannot predict the future. :ugh:
Which is why the government is rightly looking at a 14 day quarantine period.

The problem is the 14 day quarantine period should have been implemented the day lockdown happened, it was announced at the start of this month but won't be implemented until the end of the month, in that time, how many people could bring the virus in!

inOban 14th May 2020 12:49


Originally Posted by awwdabaaby (Post 10782329)
The problem is the 14 day quarantine period should have been implemented the day lockdown happened, it was announced at the start of this month but won't be implemented until the end of the month, in that time, how many people could bring the virus in!

Or, more likely, take the virus out, except that all destination countries are closed to non residents

ROC10 14th May 2020 12:51


Originally Posted by awwdabaaby (Post 10782329)
The problem is the 14 day quarantine period should have been implemented the day lockdown happened, it was announced at the start of this month but won't be implemented until the end of the month, in that time, how many people could bring the virus in!

Exactly, I find it odd that it is only being introduced now that some measures are being slightly eased. Although, at times I am genuinely confused as to why so many people seem to be flying...

chaps1954 14th May 2020 12:53

That is not confirmed and as far as I known it will only be implemented if needed at sometime in future

Mr @ Spotty M 14th May 2020 14:50

awwdabaaby
It should have happened in January, when we could see this coming.
Not helped by people still going on holidays to Asia in February and March and then moaning that they could not get back.:ugh:

Jonty 14th May 2020 16:53


Originally Posted by Mr @ Spotty M (Post 10782483)
awwdabaaby
It should have happened in January, when we could see this coming.
Not helped by people still going on holidays to Asia in February and March and then moaning that they could not get back.:ugh:

I had a lovely time in Thailand in February. Canít wait to go back.

easyboy22 14th May 2020 17:36

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....e744b57aa6.png

USERNAME_ 14th May 2020 17:50

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/artic...ommercial-loan link for the above


AirportPlanner1 15th May 2020 12:46


Originally Posted by Mr @ Spotty M (Post 10782483)
awwdabaaby
It should have happened in January, when we could see this coming.
Not helped by people still going on holidays to Asia in February and March and then moaning that they could not get back.:ugh:

How high profile was Coronavirus in the UK at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb period? Just as it was escalating and the risks becoming clear did we ramp
up preparation and warm people not to travel or did we give all airtime to something else? I donít know the answer you see, I was in Asia.

bar none 15th May 2020 16:46

Refunds.

Just received my refund for a cancelled flight which was due to operate on May 27. No hassle, no requiring me to take a voucher just a straightforward refund.

Well done Jet 2, I know who I will fly with in future.

castleford tiger 16th May 2020 07:01

I find the whole thing confusing.
How do we know what R is unless you have full testing?
The official line is as followsIndividual modelling groups use a range of data to estimate R including:
  • epidemiological data such as hospital admissions, ICU admissions and deaths Ė it generally takes 2 to 3 weeks for changes in R to be reflected in these data sources, due to the time between infection and needing hospital care
  • contact pattern surveys that gather information on behaviour Ė these can be quicker (with a lag of around a week) but can be open to bias as they often rely on self-reported behaviour
  • household infection surveys where blood samples and swabs are performed on individuals which can provide estimates of how many people are infected Ė longitudinal surveys (which sample the same people repeatedly) allow a direct estimate of the infection rates
Different modelling groups use different data sources to estimate R using complex mathematical models that simulate the spread of infections. Some may even use all these sources of information to adjust their models to better reflect the real-world situation. There is uncertainty in all these data sources, which is why R estimates can vary between different models, and why we do not rely on one model; evidence is considered, discussed and R is presented as a range.

Who estimates R?

R is estimated by a range of independent modelling groups based in universities and Public Health England (PHE). The modelling groups present their individual R estimates to the Science Pandemic Influenza Modelling group (SPI-M) - a subgroup of SAGE - for discussion. Attendees compare the different estimates of R and SPI- M collectively agrees a range which R is very likely to be within.

Now that's as clear as mud to me.
We are guessing ( estimating) based on data that 2/3 weeks old from various sources.

Flying Hi 16th May 2020 07:11

Its simply a BS media thing for newspapers to get hold of and panic the Populi needlesdly yet again.
If we had had a brave Government and not one where Money comes before People theyd have kept lockdiwn on HARD until end of May at least.
But we haven't.

Expressflight 16th May 2020 07:44


Originally Posted by Mr @ Spotty M (Post 10782483)
awwdabaaby
It should have happened in January, when we could see this coming.
Not helped by people still going on holidays to Asia in February and March and then moaning that they could not get back.:ugh:

The trouble is the medical profession in Britain didn't "see this coming" in January. On Radio 4 this morning a doctor researching treatments for Covid-19 recalled a conversation with colleagues well into February in which they discussed 'this disease in China' and speculated that maybe it was a type of flu. He said that, at that time, none of them even considered it could be a threat in Britain. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but not constructive unfortunately.

AirportPlanner1 16th May 2020 09:13


Originally Posted by Expressflight (Post 10783908)
The trouble is the medical profession in Britain didn't "see this coming" in January. On Radio 4 this morning a doctor researching treatments for Covid-19 recalled a conversation with colleagues well into February in which they discussed 'this disease in China' and speculated that maybe it was a type of flu. He said that, at that time, none of them even considered it could be a threat in Britain. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but not constructive unfortunately.

I appreciate youíve lost all respect for me because I expressed some facts - and I mean facts - about our Prime Minister that arenít comfortable for his supporters which are evidently numerous in the Luton and Southend threads but this just isnít true, or at least shouldnít be true. I know the exact sequence of events and dates because I was caught up in it early on. It was clear by w/c 24/01 this was a major threat and other countries were taking action. The elephant in the room is what our Government and the media were completely pre-occupied with w/c 24/01, culminating in the evening of 31/01
and morning of 01/02. And where they were, the Prime Minister in particular, in the three critical weeks after that. The medical profession very much saw this coming and (hopefully) all will come out in a proper Public Inquiry. Hindsight sadly didnít need to be required.

With regards to this thread Jet2 are all the worse for it.

Mr @ Spotty M 16th May 2020 09:41

AirportPlanner1 and Expressflight
If l could foresee that we were going to be in deep s*** from this virus in January, why did the various scientific types not see or believe it, or did they just have there heads in the sand.
With regards to the R rate, this should not be seen as what is going on today.
I have noticed that the daily death rate is only showing additional deaths that have been registered in the previous 24 hours.
Looking at my local NHS trust hospital, they had a round 8 deaths recorded on one day but these were people who had not died within the previous week.
All l can say is good luck to all those employed by Jet2 and other airlines who l have friends working with, because it is going to be a long struggle before we come out of this nightmare.

AirportPlanner1 16th May 2020 10:36


Originally Posted by Mr @ Spotty M (Post 10783989)
AirportPlanner1 and Expressflight
If l could foresee that we were going to be in deep s*** from this virus in January, why did the various scientific types not see or believe it, or did they just have there heads in the sand.
With regards to the R rate, this should not be seen as what is going on today.
I have noticed that the daily death rate is only showing additional deaths that have been registered in the previous 24 hours.
Looking at my local NHS trust hospital, they had a round 8 deaths recorded on one day but these were people who had not died within the previous week.
All l can say is good luck to all those employed by Jet2 and other airlines who l have friends working with, because it is going to be a long struggle before we come out of this nightmare.

Mr Spotty M, I donít believe it was the science community with their heads in the sand. More than enough evidence of that. But Iíll leave it there, because I donít want to get put on probation again for merely speaking the truth which is in any case on public record.

V12 16th May 2020 11:04


Originally Posted by AirportPlanner1 (Post 10783340)
How high profile was Coronavirus in the UK at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb period? Just as it was escalating and the risks becoming clear did we ramp
up preparation and warm people not to travel or did we give all airtime to something else? I donít know the answer you see, I was in Asia.

Our dear PM (from my recollection) had just returned from 2 weeks in Mustique, chose to miss 5 Cobra meetings on Covid19, and then did a 2 week sickie to hide in the fridge at Chevening country estate to negotiate his divorce from his 2nd wife. Then came back to London to announce his girlfriend's pregnancy, and subsequent birth of his 6/7th child. Other than that he was right on it....so on it that he used his common sense to go and shake hands with a load of Covid patients as he needed the photo-op. Please correct me on fact if I have remembered any of that incorrectly - nothing meant to be at all political in that response; does that answer your question?

V12 16th May 2020 11:13


Originally Posted by Expressflight (Post 10783908)
The trouble is the medical profession in Britain didn't "see this coming" in January. On Radio 4 this morning a doctor researching treatments for Covid-19 recalled a conversation with colleagues well into February in which they discussed 'this disease in China' and speculated that maybe it was a type of flu. He said that, at that time, none of them even considered it could be a threat in Britain. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but not constructive unfortunately.

Please don't paint all in the medical profession in the same vein. I have read, listened and know many in healthcare sector who DID see it coming in January, warned their superiors, and did source their own PPE ahead of Govt awareness. Just look at the Senate whistleblower hearings yesterday in Washington to witness the same there. Best leave it to the Cabinet to re-write history.
Remember, we all watched Wuhan emergency hospital being built in a week in January and marvelled at it. If you work in aviation and are aware of the existence of long haul air travel, it didn't need much more to reckon it was going to come here in a matter of weeks, with 2m passengers travelling every 24hr. Perhaps if those in charge of preparedness had acted quicker we would have an industry left now. Just my personal view.

Johnny [email protected] Pants 16th May 2020 12:11

This thread appears to have lost its focus- Jet2, not who said/did/didn’t do what with regards to the start of this current mess.

Mr @ Spotty M 16th May 2020 12:31

Virgin Atlantic are looking to put back till August there planned return of operations, that is if the planned quarantine goes ahead, providing on them securing fresh financing.
Maybe Jet2 might consider this also?


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:28.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.