Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Airlines, Airports & Routes
Reload this Page >

Doncaster Sheffield-2

Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Doncaster Sheffield-2

Old 13th Aug 2020, 12:58
  #461 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May also be a little unsettling for TUI who have basically held a monopoly on holiday routes at DSA for a while now.
ROC10 is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2020, 13:53
  #462 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news for the airport and a 180 from the naysayer.

Interestingly the below article names Tenerife, Barcelona, Prague, and Szczecin which aren't on the list today - genuine mistake or Freudian slip?.

https://airlinergs.com/wizz-air-base...onomic-growth/
egcntristar is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2020, 13:58
  #463 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Doncaster
Age: 40
Posts: 521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by egcntristar View Post
Great news for the airport and a 180 from the naysayer.

Interestingly the below article names Tenerife, Barcelona, Prague, and Szczecin which aren't on the list today - genuine mistake or Freudian slip?.

https://airlinergs.com/wizz-air-base...onomic-growth/
The DSA press release states that further aircraft will be added soon, so maybe these are just yet to be announced officially.
TimmyW is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2020, 14:02
  #464 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 7,088
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It says they go on sale today and that just looks like a cut and paste from a press notice - maybe an early version and there have been late changes?
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 13th Aug 2020, 14:05
  #465 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another slip, this one mentions Tenerife, Barcelona and Prague...

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/busi...region-2941170
egcntristar is offline  
Old 1st Sep 2020, 11:38
  #466 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Doncaster
Age: 40
Posts: 521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizz will base a 2nd aircraft with a further 6 new routes

https://flydsa.co.uk/latest-news/wiz...d-6-new-routes
TimmyW is offline  
Old 1st Sep 2020, 11:52
  #467 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dorset
Posts: 541
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm ... Doncaster to Eindhoven.

Why?
Albert Hall is offline  
Old 1st Sep 2020, 12:15
  #468 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 690
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seens the most unlikely city paring.
Alteagod is offline  
Old 1st Sep 2020, 13:22
  #469 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: London
Posts: 229
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Albert Hall View Post
Hmmm ... Doncaster to Eindhoven.

Why?
Offers a quick and easy road connection to Amsterdam City Centre, which is a massive city break destination for U.K. travellers, with wizz already large number of flights out of EIN.

any new destination should be welcome news during these times.
flyerguy is offline  
Old 1st Sep 2020, 13:28
  #470 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,156
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Albert Hall View Post
Hmmm ... Doncaster to Eindhoven.

Why?
As in "we want to cream off the AMS business built up by Flybe but" (make your pick) a) "we cannot get slots at slot-constrained AMS" or b) "we are too stingy to pay AMS fees"

virginblue is offline  
Old 1st Sep 2020, 13:39
  #471 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Outer London
Age: 42
Posts: 503
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alteagod View Post
Seens the most unlikely city paring.
Its not too strange when you consider the catchment of Eindhoven which is huge and the catchment of DSA. Eindhoven is within about 90 mins of Amsterdam, Antwerp, Brussels, Dusseldorf, Maastricht, Rotterdam.
AirportPlanner1 is online now  
Old 1st Sep 2020, 14:18
  #472 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Yorkshire
Age: 57
Posts: 102
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe a good City route for its connectivity but Sunday and Wednesday only and early afternoon is Going to limit its practicality
G-FORZ is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 05:17
  #473 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Handcross
Posts: 113
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AirportPlanner1 View Post
Its not too strange when you consider the catchment of Eindhoven which is huge and the catchment of DSA. Eindhoven is within about 90 mins of Amsterdam, Antwerp, Brussels, Dusseldorf, Maastricht, Rotterdam.
That sounds about the same logic as Ryanair's early logic of "Let's fly people to the middle of nowhere where nobody actually wants to travel to"!
OC37 is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 07:11
  #474 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bishops stortford herts
Posts: 0
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly works/worked for Ryanair...
southside bobby is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 07:44
  #475 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Outer London
Age: 42
Posts: 503
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OC37 View Post
That sounds about the same logic as Ryanair's early logic of "Let's fly people to the middle of nowhere where nobody actually wants to travel to"!
Yes but Eindhoven, an actual city with a regular Champions League team and which is home to a huge multinational in Phillips as well as a lot of other industry and with an airport that already serves a number of destinations, is a somewhat different proposition to say Skavsta or Hahn which previously had almost nothing.
AirportPlanner1 is online now  
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 11:30
  #476 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Handcross
Posts: 113
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AirportPlanner1 View Post
Yes but Eindhoven, an actual city with a regular Champions League team and which is home to a huge multinational in Phillips as well as a lot of other industry and with an airport that already serves a number of destinations, is a somewhat different proposition to say Skavsta or Hahn which previously had almost nothing.
So shall Doncaster Rovers be playing PSV Eindhoven anytime soon?

Eindhoven is a loco and holiday charter airport, pretty much people fly from Eindhoven to take a nice holiday and not to travel to Eindhovem, not even KLM are interested in serving it, roll on Costa del Doncaster!
OC37 is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 14:41
  #477 (permalink)  
MDS
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OC37 View Post
So shall Doncaster Rovers be playing PSV Eindhoven anytime soon?

Eindhoven is a loco and holiday charter airport, pretty much people fly from Eindhoven to take a nice holiday and not to travel to Eindhovem, not even KLM are interested in serving it, roll on Costa del Doncaster!
KLM focuses on their bread and butter - Amsterdam. Similar to why BA doesn't fly to Birmingham or Stansted for example.

Wizz also serves Eindhoven with a couple of dozen routes already which makes it easier for them to fly there.

I think the Canary routes are a great move, although I'm not too sure EIN will be a big hit. I don't think there's many VFR or business pax in either direction (unless I'm missing something) and I agree that Amsterdam city itself is quite far (and expensive to get there from Eindhoven airport).

MDS is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 16:37
  #478 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,594
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDS View Post
KLM focuses on their bread and butter - Amsterdam. Similar to why BA doesn't fly to Birmingham or Stansted for example.

Wizz also serves Eindhoven with a couple of dozen routes already which makes it easier for them to fly there.

I think the Canary routes are a great move, although I'm not too sure EIN will be a big hit. I don't think there's many VFR or business pax in either direction (unless I'm missing something) and I agree that Amsterdam city itself is quite far (and expensive to get there from Eindhoven airport).
Not that so many people holiday in such areas, but Eindhoven isn't so far from Maastricht (an excellent city break destination) and the South Limburg area of the Netherlands which is just about the most undulating part of the country, very picturesque and contains attractions such as Valkenburg and the ZLSM preserved railway, both of which are worth a visit. Further afield is the Ardenne in Belgium, and the Eifel in Germany, again both very much under rated tourist areas. If it weren't for the fact that we prefer to drive to the region, living where I do, DSA/EIN would be attractive.

Job to do for some tourist bodies in The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium methinks.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 18:01
  #479 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London UK
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDS View Post
KLM focuses on their bread and butter - Amsterdam. Similar to why BA doesn't fly to....Stansted for example....
BACF have operated lots of flights to Stansted last summer and winter. When you have lots of planes you utilise them when you can.
richardwpprn is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2020, 02:36
  #480 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Handcross
Posts: 113
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDS View Post
KLM focuses on their bread and butter - Amsterdam. Similar to why BA doesn't fly to Birmingham or Stansted for example.
BA might not do STN, the same as they don't do LTN, because they already operate to/from three LON airports.

KLM Cityhopper and/or KLM Exel targeted such regional airports as EIN, GRQ, MST & RTM when they operated an appropriately sized puddle-jumper fleet of 50 seats or less, nowadays operating a fleet with their smallest sized aircraft being some 88 seats the regional airports, in KLM's apparent opinion, are no longer viable.
OC37 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.