Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Flybe-9

Old 3rd Apr 2019, 08:50
  #1881 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dark side of the Moon
Posts: 134
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimmyW
I posted yesterday that there would be a cull and was shouted down.
I fear these routes will be lost forever from DSA as there just aren't any interested operators there to pick them up.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
RogueOne is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 08:51
  #1882 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Outer London
Age: 43
Posts: 597
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwm991
I think Loganair would pick up a lot of the slack.
Cant see Logan doing Cardiff to Verona or Dusseldorf myself, unless the WA start dishing out cheques.
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 09:05
  #1883 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 524
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimmyW
I posted yesterday that there would be a cull and was shouted down.
I fear these routes will be lost forever from DSA as there just aren't any interested operators there to pick them up.
TimmyW you were shouted down only on the fact you stated on the aircrafts where abouts.

However there is no hiding the the fact that Flybe are in the middle of a crisis. A crewing one. It now all seems planned perhaps. In excess of 20 flights have been cancelled so far today already network-wide and i don't see it getting better anytime soon. Again, is this all planned to give the new consortium oners the excuse to cut down down the airline sooner than later.

Virgin Atlantic have never managed anything good to do with short haul ownership or running. I guess this was written as soon as they got involved.

Best wishes to all the hard working staff affected at CWL, DSA and network-wide.
Cazza_fly is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 09:57
  #1884 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 1,067
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are Flybe offering pax on cancelled flights - any effort to re-book or just a refund, I hope they are treating them reasonably for the future of the business, although customer loyalty doesn't count for much today so there isn't as much to lose as in the past.

Not sure that Connect Airways will be involved at the operational level yet. They may be not recruiting crew at the moment as they expect to need fewer to operate future schedules and possibly they have an idea where the routes are that are likely to go so allowing the brunt of disruption to fall there but that is as far as it goes.

For all the bleating on here about DSA and CWL doing deals with local authorities/devolved governments so that an operator uses aircraft on unfavourable leasing terms they can't rid themselves of on routes which take holidaymakers on routes that are operated on commercially viable basis from an airport or airports just down the road is not a viable long term strategy for an airline. If I lived in Cardiff or Doncaster I wouldn't want my council tax to fund it.
22/04 is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 10:22
  #1885 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 1,067
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://ukaviation.news/flybe-to-clo...-exeter-bases/

Well looks like I got that post in just in time - I have no connection with Flybe
22/04 is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 10:48
  #1886 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Yorkshire
Age: 58
Posts: 121
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 22/04
What are Flybe offering pax on cancelled flights - any effort to re-book or just a refund, I hope they are treating them reasonably for the future of the business, although customer loyalty doesn't count for much today so there isn't as much to lose as in the past.

Not sure that Connect Airways will be involved at the operational level yet. They may be not recruiting crew at the moment as they expect to need fewer to operate future schedules and possibly they have an idea where the routes are that are likely to go so allowing the brunt of disruption to fall there but that is as far as it goes.

For all the bleating on here about DSA and CWL doing deals with local authorities/devolved governments so that an operator uses aircraft on unfavourable leasing terms they can't rid themselves of on routes which take holidaymakers on routes that are operated on commercially viable basis from an airport or airports just down the road is not a viable long term strategy for an airline. If I lived in Cardiff or Doncaster I wouldn't want my council tax to fund it.
My understanding is that FlyBe's arrangements at DSA are with Peel the airport operator not Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council.
G-FORZ is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 11:06
  #1887 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 1,067
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for that and fair do's. t the risk of thread drift I think that is a valid strategy and one that has served SEN well - thought I also believe that with EMA DSA and LBA ( and arguably HUY) there are too many airports chasing too few customers in that area.
22/04 is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 11:21
  #1888 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 477
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if the way the airline was disposed of to Connect, separating it from FlyBe plc, might make it easier for the new owners to walk away from the deals with DSA and CWL?
EastMids is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 11:24
  #1889 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,316
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G-FORZ
My understanding is that FlyBe's arrangements at DSA are with Peel the airport operator not Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council.
Same with Cardiff. It's with the airport not the government/local authority. Kind of now brings in the question of legally where both parties stand with the 10 year contract that was signed in 2015 between Cardiff airport and Flybe.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 11:29
  #1890 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 1,067
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cardiff seems to be getting on ok with FR though - if they can make money they will fly from there.
22/04 is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 11:33
  #1891 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Diss, UK
Age: 50
Posts: 677
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flybe boss has just confirmed on the Radio that it is pulling out of Cardiff and Doncaster at the end of the summer, Jet ops to stop from Exeter as well at the end of the summer season, which was kind of expected if we are all honest.
NickBarnes is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 11:38
  #1892 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 1,067
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ith the 10 year contract that was signed in 2015 between Cardiff airport and Flybe
I would expect that Flybe might make an offer of compensation - but if not or if the airports don't accept Connect Airways will have deeper pockets than Flybe and thus access to very good lawyers

On of the lessons people struggled to understand when I was in the pharma industry was it doesn't matter if you are right it's hard to win against a big company with their access to good lawyers.
22/04 is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 11:43
  #1893 (permalink)  
nef
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 253
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NickBarnes
Flybe boss has just confirmed on the Radio that it is pulling out of Cardiff and Doncaster at the end of the summer, Jet ops to stop from Exeter as well at the end of the summer season, which was kind of expected if we are all honest.
So presumably confirmed the bases are to close, but does that mean cutting all the existing routes at those airports as well, or will some continue to operate with aircraft from other bases?
nef is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 11:52
  #1894 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,438
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far the following 15 round trips have been cancelled. A number of flight are also showing delays of 60+ mins.

BE122/BE121 GLA-BHD-GLA
BE141/BE142 SOU-NCL-SOU
BE153/BE154 ABZ-BHD-ABZ
BE292/BE293 EDI-MAN-EDI
BE321/BE322 ABZ-BHX-ABZ
BE361/BE362 BHD-EMA-BHD
BE400/BE403 BHX-BHD-BHX
BE553/BE554 GLA-EMA-GLA
BE731/BE732 BHD-LBA-BHD
BE761/BE762 EDI-SOU-EDI
BE845/BE846 EDI-BHX-EDI
BE1013/BE1014 SOU-AMS-SOU
BE1843/BE1844 BHX-BOD-BHX
BE4471/BE4472 EMA-DUB-EMA
BE4583/BE4584 CWL-VRN-CWL
BAladdy is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 12:23
  #1895 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the doghouse (usually)
Posts: 282
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A wide selection of bases there, not just those mentioned for closure this morning. Is this a network-wide crew shortage which has somehow becone acute this morning, or is there a wider issue of discontent among all staff, not just those at CWL, EXT and DSA?
The Nutts Mutts is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 12:45
  #1896 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 321
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you should read into it that deeply. There's a major crew shortage on top of the bad news this morning. That's it.
I'd be very surprised if the announced cuts today is the end of it.
Reversethrustset is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 12:49
  #1897 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London
Posts: 611
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frankly, I don't think anyone should be surprised that the Ejets are going. The article says that it is not the companies intention to make any pilot redundant however the prospect of going back onto the Dash might well lead to some looking for pastures new perhaps.
Reverserbucket is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 13:28
  #1898 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 872
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reverserbucket
Frankly, I don't think anyone should be surprised that the Ejets are going. The article says that it is not the companies intention to make any pilot redundant however the prospect of going back onto the Dash might well lead to some looking for pastures new perhaps.
Not sure if the e-jets are going or being re-deployed elsewhere in the network? Also a rumour that the 4 x E75's on order have been canned!
stewyb is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 13:46
  #1899 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all jets to stop, just been on skynews
wesleyscott is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 13:55
  #1900 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 7,613
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It's difficult for the layman to understand how you can suddenly have both shortage of crew and forthcoming redundancies at the same time ...
WHBM is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.