Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Ryanair-10

Old 28th Apr 2020, 14:13
  #1781 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: This side of Heaven
Posts: 297
Don't think so. I believe most were direct BFI-DUB.
Gurnard is offline  
Old 28th Apr 2020, 15:43
  #1782 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Crawley
Posts: 230
Private charter repat flight: https://simpleflying.com/ryanair-boeing-737-liberia/
LGWAlan is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2020, 09:24
  #1783 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by Noxegon View Post
That's got to be close to the limit of what a 738 can do.
Outbound flight was non-stop, return flight refuelled in Seville.
kfsimpson is offline  
Old 1st May 2020, 07:25
  #1784 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: W. Midlands
Posts: 349
Ryanair boss speaking on BBC, 3000 jobs to go and some UK bases to close

Last edited by jon01; 1st May 2020 at 08:01.
jon01 is offline  
Old 1st May 2020, 08:03
  #1785 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 5,059
Ryanair has said it is set to cut 3,000 jobs - 15% of its workforce - as it restructures to cope with the coronavirus pandemic.It said the 3,000 posts under threat were mainly pilot and cabin crew jobs. There were likely to be pay cuts of up to 20% for remaining staff, the airline added. Boss Michael O'Leary told the BBC that the planned cuts were "the minimum that we need just to survive the next 12 months".
In a sideswipe at rivals, it said its return to scheduled services would be rendered more difficult by competing with flag carrier airlines, "who will be financing below cost selling with the benefit of over €30bn in unlawful state aid, in breach of both EU state aid and competition rules".

Ryanair said it had entered the coronavirus crisis with reserves of almost €4bn in cash and continued to "actively manage" those resources in order to survive the pandemic.

BBC - Ryanair set to cut up to 3,000 jobs to survive virus
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 1st May 2020, 08:35
  #1786 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Luton/Tenerife
Posts: 879
Also from BBC......Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary has said it will take up to six months to refund passengers for flights cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic.

He told the BBC the airline was struggling to process a backlog of 25 million refunds with reduced staff.

However, he pledged: "If you want a cash refund, you will receive a cash refund."
ericlday is offline  
Old 1st May 2020, 17:57
  #1787 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 6,434
Refunding back to the original card is just an IT matter. They have all the data and technical resources to do it. One looks (probably in vain) for the Dept of Transport to lift one of their many available fingers to do the slightest thing about this for UK passengers (I see the UK Competition & Markets Authority feel they have had to get going with the media on this, given the DfT's complete inaction).

I must look up my Bankruptcy Law, but if a company does not have the cash to refund people their advance payments for services then not provided, they look like they may be trading when insolvent. It's all very nice to have advance payments in the bank, but they shouldn't then be used for prior operational expenditure. That's a Ponzi Scheme.
WHBM is offline  
Old 1st May 2020, 22:10
  #1788 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Permanent Newbie
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Refunding back to the original card is just an IT matter. They have all the data and technical resources to do it. One looks (probably in vain) for the Dept of Transport to lift one of their many available fingers to do the slightest thing about this for UK passengers (I see the UK Competition & Markets Authority feel they have had to get going with the media on this, given the DfT's complete inaction).

I must look up my Bankruptcy Law, but if a company does not have the cash to refund people their advance payments for services then not provided, they look like they may be trading when insolvent. It's all very nice to have advance payments in the bank, but they shouldn't then be used for prior operational expenditure. That's a Ponzi Scheme.
You should represent yourself in court as well.
racedo is offline  
Old 1st May 2020, 23:24
  #1789 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 7,611
In the interview O’Leary mentioned the closing of some UK bases. Anyone like to speculate?
LTNman is offline  
Old 2nd May 2020, 05:17
  #1790 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 63
Posts: 69
Originally Posted by LTNman View Post
In the interview O’Leary mentioned the closing of some UK bases. Anyone like to speculate?
MOL said 3000 or so RYR Crews (FD and CC) could be made redundant plus he was looking to close smaller UK and European bases hinting these would be summer only/seasonable bases. As the summer season was not going operate in any number then the winter season will be upon us hence the need to close them.

BOH, for instance is a one plane base but I gather it is year-round so they may not take a hit. (BOH is my local)

He also said ''and IF we survive this...''
rog747 is offline  
Old 2nd May 2020, 07:07
  #1791 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The M77...
Age: 37
Posts: 109
I would think that there may be consolidation of the Glasgow and Prestwick operations into one. But which way I wouldn't like to guess, GLA is more convenient for passengers, but PIK has the large maintenance base and makes rotating aircraft in and out easier.
The Hypnoboon is offline  
Old 2nd May 2020, 07:52
  #1792 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hector's house
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
advance payments for services then not provided
you have identified the issue....”advance payments” are a future, “services then not provided” are a default.

Airlines and tour operators use liquidity provided by cash from future bookings to finance the day to day operation.

Banks and insurance companies do the same with deposits and premiums.



hec7or is offline  
Old 2nd May 2020, 09:08
  #1793 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Permanent Newbie
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by rog747 View Post
MOL said 3000 or so RYR Crews (FD and CC) could be made redundant plus he was looking to close smaller UK and European bases hinting these would be summer only/seasonable bases. As the summer season was not going operate in any number then the winter season will be upon us hence the need to close them.

BOH, for instance is a one plane base but I gather it is year-round so they may not take a hit. (BOH is my local)

He also said ''and IF we survive this...''
He is being correct. Q1 has ended for most companies and majority are not forecasting to the end of the year.

When John Lewis indicates many stores will not reopen, Debenhams is pretty much gone, numerous others will go as well and retail shopping is dead aside from food. To Quote next boss "Nobody wants to spend £100 on an outfit to sit at home.".

Nightingale hospital was built with much fanfare but they could have taken 3 months as it is planned for next winter.

In the event of a second wave which is expected then this and others are prepped. The impact on the economy will be to pretty much destroy it completely and if winter has a second wave then people will talk themselves into a 3rd wave in 2021, even if it doesn't arrive.
racedo is offline  
Old 2nd May 2020, 10:47
  #1794 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: antrim
Age: 59
Posts: 300
Just a query Racedo - I've read many of your posts. You never ever ever seem to look for a positive outcome or positive thinking on anything! You've either been reading the Daily Mail for way too long or else you are a naturally pessimistic person that takes delight in wallowing in self pity and worst case scenarios. I'm all for being realistic and facing facts but having an outlook like yours on a permanent basis can't be good for your mental health! Theres no doubt the current place we all find ourselves isn't good but it will get better. Just as previous disasters and financial problems passed through - this will as well. It isn't the end of civilisation just yet.
panpanpanpan is offline  
Old 2nd May 2020, 12:50
  #1795 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Permanent Newbie
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by panpanpanpan View Post
Just a query Racedo - I've read many of your posts. You never ever ever seem to look for a positive outcome or positive thinking on anything! You've either been reading the Daily Mail for way too long or else you are a naturally pessimistic person that takes delight in wallowing in self pity and worst case scenarios. I'm all for being realistic and facing facts but having an outlook like yours on a permanent basis can't be good for your mental health! Theres no doubt the current place we all find ourselves isn't good but it will get better. Just as previous disasters and financial problems passed through - this will as well. It isn't the end of civilisation just yet.
Oooh missus I got a fan or a stalker. I must admit not having read many of yours, sorry, so cannot do an online analysis of your thinking by reading some words on a screen.

Stating the facts that retail has collapsed and will stay there is pretty much in most business pages of any media these days. UK is a consumer led economy where retail is a major part. Losing that means losing a substantial amount of jobs and a substantial amount of people who fly for leisure.

You also have a change with people getting used to not shopping, even ending lockdown, the hospitality sector will not open until end of summer. The girl spending £100 at Next for a saturday night out, is also the girl who will discuss with her mates at the pub / club the weekend away in October in some part of Europe. Remove one part of it and you impact every subsequent event......... you may not see it but those who do the insight marketing do.

Many of my leisure trips have started because someone made a suggestion in the pub, restaurant, club. Others may be different but number of people I know who came back in Monday over the years who started looking at a trip from a suggesion over the weekend is substantial because someone said something.

The additional hospitals were a good PR exercise when it was needed but were PR. They were never for this part of the crisis at this time. They just proved the ability to do it.

The Airline industry be in Ryanair / IAG / U2 and others are at a point where they may be gone next year. Many people have gone into self isolation and exclusion of all, removing lockdown will not remove the fear, a second winter wave will have people expecting a 3rd one and nobody will be booking anything, "just in case", as insurers will not be covering.

Everybody will have different opinion how this ends up but like always it is good to see others opinions rather than kicking someone because they put theirs down.

MOL is out there for being one of those people who will call the industry view before others. Airline bosses do speak to each other and internal lawyers will always know what was discussed. but what he said is not any different from what every other airline boss is saying.
racedo is offline  
Old 2nd May 2020, 13:00
  #1796 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 5,059
The girl spending £100 at Next for a saturday night out, is also the girl who will discuss with her mates at the pub / club the weekend away in October in some part of Europe
Just because the pubs are shut, that hasn't stopped converstations. Zoom isn't only being used to do away with the need for business travel

There is the "we need a holiday after all this" factor as well. Also, being reported that last month saw the largest reduction in credit card debt for years - if your not spending £100 in Next for a Saturday night...
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 2nd May 2020, 13:18
  #1797 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 3,973
The night is darkest before the dawn.
During the flu pandemic of 1918-19 which was far more severe than Covid, life carried on. Presidents and prime ministers around the world are talking now about how to exit lockdown, and after the initial shock, people under about 60 are beginning to decide they can maybe take a few more risks.

To those working as cabin crew in Ryanair and facing redundancy - look at this as a time to learn something new and fulfilling and finding a better job; there's more to life than flogging overpriced cappuccinos to enrich somebody else.

Chin up, and commercial aviation will get through this and bounce back
davidjohnson6 is online now  
Old 2nd May 2020, 13:32
  #1798 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Permanent Newbie
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
Just because the pubs are shut, that hasn't stopped converstations. Zoom isn't only being used to do away with the need for business travel

There is the "we need a holiday after all this" factor as well. Also, being reported that last month saw the largest reduction in credit card debt for years - if your not spending £100 in Next for a Saturday night...
Oh I get you BUT many people have influencers on their lives, they may want to go but the influencers start saying "No", "Too risky" etc etc. Talking on zoom (other services are available) is ok but sitting in a group at a bar and coversation goes everywhere and someone suggests something, bar person chips in saying X was great, etc etc and a plan starts. Just a wee bit harder on zoom etc.

The stopping spending if this lasts to June will potentially continue as people will finally get a chance to get out of debt or in many cases will look to change jobs. There will be a gret reset in how people do things and travel will be one of the casualties along with retail.
racedo is offline  
Old 2nd May 2020, 13:35
  #1799 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Permanent Newbie
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6 View Post
To those working as cabin crew in Ryanair and facing redundancy - look at this as a time to learn something new and fulfilling and finding a better job; there's more to life than flogging overpriced cappuccinos to enrich somebody else.
DJ. Think this is a bit condescending to people who do enjoy working in airlines. In many cases gives them opportunities to learn, travel, meet new friends, no different from people working in McDonalds for 4-5 years when they are young.
racedo is offline  
Old 2nd May 2020, 16:38
  #1800 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 3,973
Condescending, yes. However, cabin crew at Ryanair is never going to be something more than a thing to do for a few years. Seeing the outside of an airport terminal while turning a plane round doesn't count much in my opinion as an opportunity for travel when you can't easily visit the place.

Yes, cabin crew has a serious side, but the T&Cs of employment are mediocre at best. Anyone working as FR cabin crew should be thinking of the next thing to do so as to ensure they get the most out of their life
davidjohnson6 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.