Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

East Midlands

Old 23rd Dec 2017, 13:27
  #61 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham
Age: 61
Posts: 930
EMA was closed at weekend in November 2016 - so 20% up is very misleading.

If you take the November 2015 figure which was 220,694 then compare this to November 2017, then the gain was under 1,200 pax !
BHX5DME is offline  
Old 17th Jan 2018, 06:45
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Behind a desk, dreaming of the sky
Posts: 517
Extra Services from Jet2, over the summer holidays (27th July to 3rd Sep)

Extra IBZ/HER/DLM/AYT and a new BJV flight.

Nice to see some growth here compared to BHX/STN, albeit very small and brief
Plane.Silly is offline  
Old 30th Jan 2018, 23:47
  #63 (permalink)  
Paxing All Over The World
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hertfordshire, UK.
Age: 65
Posts: 9,704
The Independent 30th Jan 2018.

The secret code that lets you get a surprise engagement ring through airport security | The Independent
PAXboy is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 17:14
  #64 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 194
UPS

Planning permission has been granted for the new UPS logistics hub, which is to be built to the East of the Eastern apron.
The airport have previously spoken about demolishing the existing UPS hub to free up space for additional stands on the central apron, but considering the current and projected growth of freight at EMA, is it likely that it will now be retained for the medium term and offered to FDX or even Amazon?
There have been rumours circulating to that effect.
Balair is online now  
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 18:43
  #65 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: ask crewing i dont know
Posts: 178
and DHL are rumoured to be looking at extending again further to the west even though they've only just finished the existing expansion
LDG_GEAR _MONITOR is offline  
Old 28th Mar 2018, 19:45
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Warrington, UK
Posts: 253
New for S19 are Santorini & Faro with TUI.
Keyvon is offline  
Old 29th Mar 2018, 11:51
  #67 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 7
DHL

I don know that the ramp is being extended they are taking some of jet parks 2 over

Last edited by Paul Atkins144; 29th Mar 2018 at 14:23.
Paul Atkins144 is offline  
Old 29th Mar 2018, 14:39
  #68 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 477
Originally Posted by Paul Atkins144 View Post
I don know that the ramp is being extended they are taking some of jet parks 2 over
Jet Parks 2 is being extended in the area adjacent to JCB and the DHL apron - not reduced - to take account of the spaces lost in Long Stay 1A as part of the corporate hangar development. As of now no plans have been submitted to extend the DHL apron.
EastMids is offline  
Old 13th Apr 2018, 16:46
  #69 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Under the flight path
Posts: 2,500
I recently used EMA for the first time in about 20 years. I'm afraid I wasn't impressed. The owners seem to be trying to extend the aviation offering without themselves investing, and the end result is, from a passenger point of view, poor. The airport is obviously operating at above its comfortable capacity (in mid-April), so in summer it will be a place to avoid.

My main gripes are:
- UK Border area far too small
- essentially outdoor covered walkways airside not fit for purpose
- extremely limited and uncompetitive retail offering in both departures and arrivals
- poor signposting around the airport estate
- shabby and visually unappealing buildings

In comparison, I was very impressed by Liverpool Airport, which is a similar size in terms of passenger throughput.

Time for a bit of serious investment. In the meantime Mrs LGS won't be booking EMA flights.
LGS6753 is offline  
Old 13th Apr 2018, 18:34
  #70 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 14
Whilst the Airport Building isn't that appealing and agree it needs some investment it does what is required, as long as you arrive check in and board your flight what more do you want, if Liverpool appeals more then by all means use Liverpool but I for one wouldn't think of using anywhere but EMA as it suits my requirements

I suppose when MAG feel the time is right they will invest in the terminal facilities
In the meantime it serves it's purpose
Stu707 is offline  
Old 13th Apr 2018, 18:49
  #71 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 1,004
The time will be right when they can make enough out of retail to cover their investment I would say.

There are those who like me like to buy their daughter Joe Malone perfume etc. when going though an airport I suppose- and those who aren't bothered.
22/04 is offline  
Old 13th Apr 2018, 21:51
  #72 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,477
Originally Posted by Stu707 View Post
Whilst the Airport Building isn't that appealing and agree it needs some investment it does what is required, as long as you arrive check in and board your flight what more do you want, if Liverpool appeals more then by all means use Liverpool but I for one wouldn't think of using anywhere but EMA as it suits my requirements

I suppose when MAG feel the time is right they will invest in the terminal facilities
In the meantime it serves it's purpose
For as long as the airport is catering for leisure travelers, with few if any front end passengers, there really is no incentive to smarten up / improve the facilities. What's more, for as long as one of your two major clients is an airline that considers paying for airport facilities somehow isn't their responsibility it's difficult to justify spending money for real tangible developments.

Thankfully for EMA, cargo is a completely different kettle of fish, as it is a major base for all the major global integrators, who appreciate the requirements for top class handling facilities to satisfy their blue chip global customers.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 15th Apr 2018, 09:11
  #73 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: derby
Posts: 245
Speaking of cargo - Etihad cargo have added a Saturday morning rotation to the existing Tuesday evening, using the 777f Columbus-EMA-Frankfurt upping to 2 weekly
ematom1 is offline  
Old 26th Apr 2018, 21:13
  #74 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: derby
Posts: 245
Jet2 new route - Burgas for summer 19 1 weekly begins May 07th 2019
ematom1 is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2018, 14:31
  #75 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 704
Here is the East Midlands you were looking for.
fjencl is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2018, 14:36
  #76 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Daws Heath Essex
Posts: 446
Originally Posted by fjencl View Post
Here is the East Midlands you were looking for.

Thankyou, but still a very quiet thread for a reasonably vibrant airport.
Planespeaking is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2018, 18:48
  #77 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wolverhampton
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by Planespeaking View Post



Thankyou, but still a very quiet thread for a reasonably vibrant airport.
Looks like my post on your original thread didn't make it to here.
Having grown weary of BHX and its business model of treating its customers as badly as possible, for 2019 i have replaced my LS1229/30 flights with EMA flights LS613/4. The pricing is slightly dearer but, deep joy, the dep dep time is mid morning and not late afternoon. Also the car oarking cost is very reasonable and access, certainly via the A42 looks a doddle.
Whats not to like?
sixchannel is offline  
Old 8th Jul 2018, 17:23
  #78 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 194
Future Ramp Space

With the continued rapid expansion of freight volumes through EMA, it seems strange that the new UPS hub is being sited so as to prevent any future Easterly extension of the Eastern cargo ramp (apart from a small addition for which planning permission has been granted).
I would have thought that a N-S alignment of the facility closer to the A453 would have been possible, which would then have offered greater flexibility for additional ramp provision in the future?
I know there are many considerations which have obviously influenced the final decision, such as UPS seeing their short term freight volume increases being carried by larger equipment rather than additional flights, and the proposed alignment of the new facility allowing easy linear expansion in the future, but there must surely come a time in the not too distant future when addition cargo ramp space will be required?
There is obviously scope for further expansion of the DHL facility and the Western ramp, but is anyone aware of how the airport are looking to accommodate future expansion by the other/new carriers?

Balair
Balair is online now  
Old 9th Jul 2018, 21:19
  #79 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by Balair View Post
Future Ramp Space

With the continued rapid expansion of freight volumes through EMA, it seems strange that the new UPS hub is being sited so as to prevent any future Easterly extension of the Eastern cargo ramp (apart from a small addition for which planning permission has been granted).
I would have thought that a N-S alignment of the facility closer to the A453 would have been possible, which would then have offered greater flexibility for additional ramp provision in the future?
I know there are many considerations which have obviously influenced the final decision, such as UPS seeing their short term freight volume increases being carried by larger equipment rather than additional flights, and the proposed alignment of the new facility allowing easy linear expansion in the future, but there must surely come a time in the not too distant future when addition cargo ramp space will be required?
There is obviously scope for further expansion of the DHL facility and the Western ramp, but is anyone aware of how the airport are looking to accommodate future expansion by the other/new carriers?

Balair
I do not think further expansion has been seriously looked at, thinking of comments being made re flights to China? this came into the public domain when Bhx had the plug pulled on a scheduled flight to China, and now there is the major development with the new infastructure of buildings and a rail link as well for freight, but not for passengers, but i will wait and see on future news.
Trev4521 is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2018, 21:43
  #80 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 477
Originally Posted by Balair View Post
Future Ramp Space
A permitted development for small addition to the eastern edge of Cargo East was accepted by NW Leicestershire as far back as 2010 and not done so far. Further extensions to Cargo East challenging due to the rise in the alpha taxiway towards the whiskey / alpha holds, and now ruled out by UPS development anyway. Given UPS was predicated on no extra flights in the short term at least it might be insensive to start laying concrete at that end of the airport right now. But it doesn't take a genius to work out where additional apron could go when / if it was needed.
EastMids is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.