PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - East Midlands
Thread: East Midlands
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2018, 21:19
Trev4521

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Balair
Future Ramp Space

With the continued rapid expansion of freight volumes through EMA, it seems strange that the new UPS hub is being sited so as to prevent any future Easterly extension of the Eastern cargo ramp (apart from a small addition for which planning permission has been granted).
I would have thought that a N-S alignment of the facility closer to the A453 would have been possible, which would then have offered greater flexibility for additional ramp provision in the future?
I know there are many considerations which have obviously influenced the final decision, such as UPS seeing their short term freight volume increases being carried by larger equipment rather than additional flights, and the proposed alignment of the new facility allowing easy linear expansion in the future, but there must surely come a time in the not too distant future when addition cargo ramp space will be required?
There is obviously scope for further expansion of the DHL facility and the Western ramp, but is anyone aware of how the airport are looking to accommodate future expansion by the other/new carriers?

Balair
I do not think further expansion has been seriously looked at, thinking of comments being made re flights to China? this came into the public domain when Bhx had the plug pulled on a scheduled flight to China, and now there is the major development with the new infastructure of buildings and a rail link as well for freight, but not for passengers, but i will wait and see on future news.