Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Ryanair - 9

Old 11th Jul 2017, 12:10
  #3941 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 384
Originally Posted by compton3bravo View Post
There is always Wizz.
Not from DUB. I used LH, which was comfortable but not cheap.
Noxegon is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2017, 13:09
  #3942 (permalink)  
MDS
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 71
After a recent LBA-AGP sector I observed:
  • Families who were split apart all boarded together via the front door, even if some were sat at the back, so they had to push through the aircraft and delay other PAX. Also a very long queue at the front door.
  • Two stag parties were a lot quieter than normal (not that I'm one to complain about that!) owing to the fact their party was split across the aircraft and not together.
  • Many people changing seats after boarding completed and swapping thereby delaying our already delayed departure. Crew powerless to do anything - what are they going to do - say no?
  • Sat next to a Spanish guy who was head of his family who had been split across the aircraft. One comment he kept repeating throughout the flight: no repetir - never again.

When I travel alone I only care that I don't get stuck in the middle seat. Now I don't even have to bother to pay - I'll just wait until the day of the flight to check in and ensure those are already assigned.

But hey, let's just pretend nothing has changed and customers are just cheap complaining b******s.
Ignore the evidence to the contrary, they're clearly getting so much better - the TripAdvisor thread proves how delighted people are with the latest customer service improvement.
MDS is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2017, 08:30
  #3943 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Europa
Posts: 1,442
Two stag parties were a lot quieter than normal (not that I'm one to complain about that!) owing to the fact their party was split across the aircraft and not together.
They probably bought a lot less alcohol too.
Charlie Roy is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2017, 09:15
  #3944 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Under the flight path
Posts: 2,400
O'Leary has told the EU parliament he hopes Brexit fails.
I have never been a fan of Ryanair's product, but I will now ensure I never fly with them again.
Perhaps when the UK leaves the appalling EU, we will start standing up for UK businesses, not those registered in foreign tax havens.
LGS6753 is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2017, 10:04
  #3945 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Age: 48
Posts: 143
Originally Posted by LGS6753 View Post
O'Leary has told the EU parliament he hopes Brexit fails.
I have never been a fan of Ryanair's product, but I will now ensure I never fly with them again.
Perhaps when the UK leaves the appalling EU, we will start standing up for UK businesses, not those registered in foreign tax havens.
Whilst I have my grievances with Ryanair, his opinions about Brexit should not be a reason to choose not to fly this airline. I have read some ridiculous things on this forum but this one has me laughing.
bcn_boy is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2017, 10:10
  #3946 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,101
Always useful to give some context - this is what he really said:

"“The sensible outcome here is to ignore the plebiscite of 12 months ago, stay in Europe and continue to benefit from Open Skies.”

This as he gave a EU Parliament committee in a session titled "Brexit in aviation: Perspective of the Airlines and Tourism Industry" his views on the effects of Brexit. The session was also attended by Willie Walsh (somewhat more optimistic) and top brass from Airbus (concerned about moving staff and components), TUI (pretty much echoing O'Leary), Lufthansa (blabbering about the ME and missing the point) and Airlines of America (warning of the consequences for the TATL JV).

Some quotes from what MOL said:

"This is going to be a real mess. Brexit will be one of the great economic suicide notes in history."

"There is not a legal mechanism on which airlines can operate in a 'hard Brexit, no deal' outcome. There will simply be no flights"

“There is a real prospect, and we need to deal with this, that there are going to be no flights between the UK and Europe for a period of weeks, months beyond March 2019."

““There is not going to be an interim agreement, there is not going to be a legal basis, we will be cancelling flights. We will be cancelling people’s holidays for summer of 2019.”

"I am not sure the Brits, who like their holidays in spain fancy Karachi" (talking about a remark by a senior Brexit minister who had allegedly told him the lost European airline traffic could be made up through a bilateral agreement with Pakistan)

“By September 2018 when your average British voter is sitting down to work out where he is going on his holidays in 2019, the two options he will have are to drive to Scotland or get a ferry to Ireland”
virginblue is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2017, 14:24
  #3947 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 30
Does MOL really believe all that, do you think Spain Portugal Greece Italy or France will really want to loose all the money that Brits spend there every summer, me doesn't think so. More hot air from a nobody.
vinnym is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2017, 15:45
  #3948 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chobham
Posts: 105
The point is, some resolution to the fact that we'll be out of the European Court of Justice and therefore by default out of the current open skies, may well be drafted, debated and resolved one day, but there is no way on this earth it will be concluded by March 2019. The departments involved currently don't even know where to start - not a single statement has been promulgated as to how they think this will be resolved - all too bloody difficult. More than that, airlines can't plan UK-EU schedules for 2019 if they don't know what the rules will be by this time latest next year - and they won't. Old bilateral agreements which may have existed previously between the UK and the EU27 individual countries, will in the main be unworkable. Head in sand 'it will all be resolved so stop scaremongering' bull is pathetic, people genuinely don't know where to start on this, it is a very real nightmare which no doubt will be resolved one day, but there simply isn't the time. Better swat up your freedoms of the air and associated legislation - nothing in reverting to WTO rules covers these at all.
fairflyer is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2017, 16:20
  #3949 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,144
Some nice overview of new routes starting this winter
Ryanair W17 new routes as of 10JUL17 :: Routesonline
Seljuk22 is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2017, 19:07
  #3950 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Exit stage right.
Posts: 288
Originally Posted by vinnym View Post
Does MOL really believe all that, do you think Spain Portugal Greece Italy or France will really want to loose all the money that Brits spend there every summer, me doesn't think so. More hot air from a nobody.
Nope
Largest Airline in Europe,
Serves every single EU Country
Deals directly with Govt bureaucracy every day
Obtained detailed legal opinion on outcome and risk to his employers business

And you knowldge on this comes from where ?.
racedo is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2017, 19:30
  #3951 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 4,440
There is some truth in MOL's comments but in the past he has been very prone to hyperbole and crying wolf about things which often do not actually happen. This means many people (including me) are less inclined to believe his scare stories compared to comments that might come from the heads of BA/IAG, Easyjet, Norwegian or any other airline with significant pan-Europe operations
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2017, 20:42
  #3952 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 373
Originally Posted by vinnym View Post
More hot air from a nobody.
LOL. Whatever else MOL might be considered to be, anyone who refers to him as a "nobody" has no credibility on this Forum.

I think you'll find that W.Walsh and the others know the critical situation that pertains at this moment in time and it is in line with what MOL says. However, they are, typically, holding back and allowing MOL to do their shouting for them. If nothing continues to happen things will start to hot up fairly quickly.
ayroplain is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2017, 20:46
  #3953 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 5,859
Old bilateral agreements which may have existed previously between the UK and the EU27 individual countries
Did all the EU27 countries even exist before Open Skies? (yes, I know they did - but as independent nations with aviation agreements?)

This means many people (including me) are less inclined to believe his scare stories compared to comments that might come from the heads of BA/IAG, Easyjet, Norwegian or any other airline with significant pan-Europe operations
I know what you mean DJ6, but on this one I agree with fairflyer - in airline planning terms, March 2019 is a blink of an eye away. And how high up the list of things to be done is aviation? Some big ticket items ahead in the negotiations queue.
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 12th Jul 2017, 21:23
  #3954 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Yorkshire
Age: 55
Posts: 75
If FR are threatening to cancel summer 2019 flights due to Brexit (MOL's words), then why risk booking with them for that period? They may be the largest EU airline but he is the only one suggesting flights will be cancelled. Not great PR and on top of the seat splitting (which I've just had on a plane with only 60 passengers) yet more reason to look at alternative carriers. Shame really they'd done so well do dispel past misgivings.
G-FORZ is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2017, 07:33
  #3955 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chobham
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by ayroplain View Post
LOL. Whatever else MOL might be considered to be, anyone who refers to him as a "nobody" has no credibility on this Forum.

I think you'll find that W.Walsh and the others know the critical situation that pertains at this moment in time and it is in line with what MOL says. However, they are, typically, holding back and allowing MOL to do their shouting for them. If nothing continues to happen things will start to hot up fairly quickly.
I think you'll start to hear the other airline heads get a bit more vocal when it's 18 months to go for winter 18/19 schedules which is when a lot draft, but maybe not quite fix their forward schedules. There were a handful of bilateral agreements with some of the EU27 countries that pre-existed the current rules, but not with all 27. A few major accounting companies like the Ernst and Youngs of this world have dug into this in some depth and suggest that there is a massive amount of work to be done to resolve. Entirely separate negotiations to anything else going on in Brexit-world. The fear is that the UK government will use access to UK market for aviation as a bargaining chip in their armory of 'bargaining chips' and therefore what we end up with will be unresolved and unclear until the 11th hour and 59th minute, at best.
fairflyer is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2017, 07:52
  #3956 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Beaumaris
Posts: 187
This doesn't just involve flights from UK to EU 27 it will affect all EU rest of world agreements, for example the EU US open skies. The UK will cease to be able to operate under these agreements immediately if nothing is done. The ECJ oversees all EU commercial aviation regulations. The complexity is IMHO on top of everything else, is too much and will overwhelm UK Gov.
FQTLSteve is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2017, 08:04
  #3957 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 76
Originally Posted by FQTLSteve View Post
This doesn't just involve flights from UK to EU 27 it will affect all EU rest of world agreements, for example the EU US open skies. The UK will cease to be able to operate under these agreements immediately if nothing is done. The ECJ oversees all EU commercial aviation regulations. The complexity is IMHO on top of everything else, is too much and will overwhelm UK Gov.
...and you know what might scupper any negotiated agreement at the end of the day? Gibraltar. The EU27 will stand united in support of Spain, who by the way represent 25% of our intra-EU passenger traffic. This will be one enormous pile of you know what...
Winniebago is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2017, 11:42
  #3958 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW England
Posts: 148
Originally Posted by virginblue View Post
Always useful to give some context - this is what he really said:

"“The sensible outcome here is to ignore the plebiscite of 12 months ago, stay in Europe and continue to benefit from Open Skies.”

This as he gave a EU Parliament committee in a session titled "Brexit in aviation: Perspective of the Airlines and Tourism Industry" his views on the effects of Brexit. The session was also attended by Willie Walsh (somewhat more optimistic) and top brass from Airbus (concerned about moving staff and components), TUI (pretty much echoing O'Leary), Lufthansa (blabbering about the ME and missing the point) and Airlines of America (warning of the consequences for the TATL JV).

Some quotes from what MOL said:

"This is going to be a real mess. Brexit will be one of the great economic suicide notes in history."

"There is not a legal mechanism on which airlines can operate in a 'hard Brexit, no deal' outcome. There will simply be no flights"

“There is a real prospect, and we need to deal with this, that there are going to be no flights between the UK and Europe for a period of weeks, months beyond March 2019."

““There is not going to be an interim agreement, there is not going to be a legal basis, we will be cancelling flights. We will be cancelling people’s holidays for summer of 2019.”

"I am not sure the Brits, who like their holidays in spain fancy Karachi" (talking about a remark by a senior Brexit minister who had allegedly told him the lost European airline traffic could be made up through a bilateral agreement with Pakistan)

“By September 2018 when your average British voter is sitting down to work out where he is going on his holidays in 2019, the two options he will have are to drive to Scotland or get a ferry to Ireland”
What was interesting was his swipes about a lack of goodwill within the EU towards the UK being a barrier towards a deal and accusations of France and Germany doing one over the UK when given an opportunity.

Link: Ryanair boss: ?No flights? between UK and EU after Brexit

Obviously the UK hasn't covered itself in glory, but still interesting nonetheless.

Regardless of O'Leary's history of comments in the media, he's not stupid and comes across as someone who's concerned about the impact Brexit is going to have on his business, especially when you look beyond his quotes to pivot growth away from the UK and not base new aircraft here. Isn't it about 100-odd of their fleet based in UK airports and about a third of its business involving the UK (either flights to/from the UK or domestic UK flights)?
116d is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2017, 16:02
  #3959 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,101
Problem really is that in airline planning terms, there are only 9 months left to have everything resolved as flights for April 2019 are usually bookable 360 days in advance, i.e. from April 2018 (and even before on some LCCs). The resulting turn-over from those early sales is most probably factored into cash-flow planning of those airlines, so you cannot simply say "so what, this time we will open advance booking just 90 days in advance".

So the likes of Boris Johnson should stop smirking and being smug, but actually start working on the thousands of issues big and small that need to be resolved to avoid a car-crash scenario.
virginblue is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2017, 16:06
  #3960 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,455
Or do what all airlines do, allow bookings, and the discontinue booking closer to the time if a resolution has not been made. Few people book a flight that's a year away.

Also, I can't see any Ryanair routes for sale for next summer.
AerRyan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.