16th Mar 2004, 17:32
Join Date: Mar 2000
FAQ:Training & Employment Prospects - Please read before posting
We are frequently asked questions about training, whether for a PPL(H) or to become a professional pilot. There's a wealth of information in the forum, but it was in numerous different threads. I've been merging similar topics to make searching easier.
- Please check the threads below and/or use the 'Search' function to check our archives before starting a new thread.
- New topics are added from time to time.
- The contents of threads change as people add to the discussions.
- 'General' topics aren't updated as frequently as 'specific' topics.
TRAINING / CAREER TOPICS
- There is some overlap between threads, and repetition within them, but that's unavoidable.
- Some threads started when Rotorheads was smaller and less active and there were relatively few replies to questions. I've included those early threads in the merging but any references to legal requirements and regulations in the older posts should be checked with publications issued by the relevant national aviation authority.
So you want to be a professional pilot?
Read what the pros say about it: Would you become a professional pilot again?
This topic also includes discussions about how to become a pilot.
Helicopters at work around the world
A picture speaks a thousand words.
See why most pro helicopter pilots would do it again.
Includes some pictures taken by PPLs around the world.
Where's the best place to train?
See the next section.
Which is the best helicopter for training?
From zero to CPL/IR: What does it cost
Big differences between countries.
Beware of prejudices!
Can I reclaim VAT and/or tax on training costs?
Mainly UK advice.
Converting from fixed-wing to Rotary
Am I too old?
The answer's almost certainly 'No', but check here.
What are the job prospects for New CPLs?
Becoming an Instructor
The Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators offers FI(R) Scholarships
Guild of Air Pilots: FREE Helicopter Flight Instructor Rating
Both on your way to a CPL(H) and as a newly qualified professional pilot
TRAINING and JOB PROSPECTS (By Country):
Which country for training?
Conflicting views - inevitably.
Beware of bias/prejudices.
What's new in West Africa
Not a 'training' thread, but an invaluable insight into working there as a helicopter pilot.
Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Land of the free? Not free, but probably the cheapest.
FAA v CAA approach to aviation
Can't do v Can do?
Obtaining an FAA Professional Licence
US Visa Information
Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects in Australia
It's a big country - Oz guide to the different states
Training & Employment prospects in Canada
You too could learn to fly like this - Link
Training & Employment prospects in New Zealand
United Kingdom & Europe:
NB: UK training requirements have changed sinced the advent of the JAA - especially professional training requirements.
You must read the most up to date regulations published by the UK CAA.
I want to be a helicopter pilot
Advice from the British Helicopter Advisory Board
UK Flight Crew Licensing Information (LASORS)
CPL and ATPL Training
JAA ATPL Ground School & Distance Learning
JAA Instrument Rating - incl Converting FAA IR to JAA IR
Converting non-JAA licence to JAA licence
UK Helicopter Schools
The Persian/Arabian Gulf
Hong Kong & SE Asia
If, after reading the discussions, you still haven't found the answer to your question,
ask it on an existing thread relating to the topic.