Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Obtaining an FAA Professional Licence

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Obtaining an FAA Professional Licence

Search this Thread

Old 19th Jan 2003, 13:49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Obtaining an FAA Professional Licence

Hello everybody,

I was just thinking if anybody knew what books you need to study for the CPL (H) in USA?

I am planning to go there in April and I would like to start looking into them.

Thank you.
Jonas
Old 20th Jan 2003, 00:22

Cool as a moosp

This years FAR/AIM for starters. It comes on a CD rom for easy mailing.

Try the ASA people on www.asa2fly.com - you see their books around most flight schools. I used the Private Pilot Test Prep and I guess they have one for CPL. Its for all flying machines but they have picked out the (H) questions for you.

FAA Flight Standards do the definitive "Rotorcraft Flying Handbook" which puts rotary into American vocabulary. You can buy it in most flight shops. (FAA-H-8083-21 is their book code.) Although it starts at PPL level it contains most of what you'll need at CPL and especially if you go to FI level.

My 2 cents.
Old 20th Jan 2003, 14:56

I recommend “Principles of Helicopter Flight” by W.J. Wagtendonk and “The Art and Science of Flying Helicopters” by Shawn Coyle along with the other books listed in the prior posts. Also, pick up the FAA’s Aviation Weather book.

ASA has books and CD’s for the written. I have used the CD’s and it’s good to use them to get the exam out of the way but all you will know is the correct answer to the question without knowing why.

What Flight School are you going to ? Send a message.
Old 14th Feb 2003, 04:32

FAR Part 61 Sec 61.153

That should help you out

Old 14th Feb 2003, 06:48

Its very straight forward...............

Approach a Flight School.....have them send you the Theory Books........study them on the Jet on the way to the US.......do the Cyber Exams at the Airport........[Remember the Questions and Answers are supplied in the books]....do a Basic Handling Test with the IFR Component [can be done on a VFR R22....], VOR/NDB/ILS and then a face to face verbal with the Examiner..........FAA ATPL.

If you wish me to send the name of the school and Examiner that I would reccomend....drop me a private message.
Old 14th Feb 2003, 11:00
simon_says

That sounds a bit easier than it actually is old man, I was under the impression there is a minimum mandatory training requirement followed by the flight test. The Oral can vary depending on how keen the examiner is and how much time is available. Flungdung, this can be achieved in the UK as well and inexpensively if you are current on the R22, the advice I would offer is square away the computer exam but gen up on the oral, learn US airspace for instance.

Old 14th Feb 2003, 12:43

Having worked under the FAA system for years...it really is as simple as I stated..............

[I do hold and exercise all but FAA Examiner Status]

However the conversion I am talking about is a current ATPL with IR [oversea's].....to an FAA ATPL...............

Depending on the attitude of the Examiner, you don't even have to be a "Command" [Endorsed on type] pilot on the Test...............however most Examiners won't accept the responsibility of being the "Commander" in case the aircraft is damaged......but there are some.

I do agree that the Attitude of the Examiner will be a significant influence on the outcome.........The discussion that the Examiner has is normally related to aircraft / practical subjects......remember you have already passed the theory aspects.......

The USA FAA System may sound simple and easy........but it is a very practicable and common sense viewpoint in ensuring the best output with the minimmum of Red Tape.........

Last edited by Old Man Rotor; 14th Feb 2003 at 13:05.
Old 14th Feb 2003, 20:28

Also check out the FAQ's on Airman Certification on the FAA website www.faa.gov. Official answers to questions from the field, loads of good gen. I'm useless with computers so regretably can't post a direct link.
Old 27th Feb 2003, 13:21

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do you want an FAA ATPL (or as our American allies say ATP-RH certificate)? Let me guess, ARAMCO is hiring again in Saudi Arabia?? Don't forget to pack your gas mask, the war is about to start!!
Old 16th Jul 2003, 07:40
pil

FAA Commercial Add On

Peeps,

I have recently been scratching an old itch and doing some nosing around into the world of heli's and kept seeing training schools banding the phrase "commercial add on" about. Further digging and this appears to be a course that gives you an FAA CPL(H) with only a shade over 50 hrs in helicopters if you already hold an FAA CPL(A).
Now, as I have precisely 0 hrs heli time ( but a cpl fixed wing ) and will never claim to be an expert in such matters, but isn't this a little low on the experience side to be dishing out CPL's ? or have I totally got the wrong end of the side and talking out of my derrierre?

I'm curious to know what the above course actually entails as it blows away the misconception that I can never train to be a heli commercial pilot as the costs involved are prohibative.

I guess this subject has been done before, but accept my apologese as the search function on our dear old pprune appears to be u/s.

Thanks.

Old 16th Jul 2003, 12:25

You are correct when you state that it is a little on the low time.

It is also practically impossible to do it in 50 hours. The 50 hours has to consist of at least 35 hours PIC. Now you can't log PIC time until you are either (1) a private pilot or (2) flying solo. This essentially means that in 15 hours you would have to master hovering, autorotations and everything else. Quite why the 50 hours is given is beyond me.
What we normally do is to recommend folks to get the private add on first and then do the commercial add on after. Once you are a private pilot everything can be logged as PIC. Normally we see most folks doing it in around 70 - 80 hours. Still a little low to be doing commercial work!

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 16th Jul 2003, 12:28
Gatvol

Its the Cheapest way to get a Helicopter rating, by far. It will get you the ticket. But you wont be marketable for some time. Anyway if your a F/W driver you dont need the cut in pay.
Call one of the flight schools or surf places like www.heli.com . They do the work and can give you the straight scoop. Just remember they make less money off of an add-on, so watch out for any of these schools that give you the "Package Deals".
Good Luck
Old 16th Jul 2003, 13:48

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
As far as I understand it, you'll end up as a VFR CPL(H). What are the requirements to get a heli instrument rating add-on?
Old 17th Jul 2003, 02:31

You take an Instrument written test, the add-on is 15 questions, you then get around 6 hours of Instrument instruction in Helicopters and you take a check ride. When I did it, I was not current instruments and got both the Instrument and Instrument Instructor done in around 12 hours including a couple of hours for a flight check with the FAA. Its just some differences. Not much and the FAA dose not make a big issue of it. The CFI add-on writtens were 20 questions.
Old 12th Aug 2003, 16:38

getting an FAA CPL(H) in the UK

hey,

I got a JAR ATP(H) + IR , but I want to get a FAA CPL(H) so i can do some charters on an N reg in the UK.

I have heard that you can do the computer knowledge test in the UK, and buy a CD to learn the questions and also that the FAA medical can be done over here, also I was told you can do the flight tests at coventry and I am not sure if I need additional training, as i am still flying the R22 reguarly.

anyone know wo I need to contact and the costs involved for

1) flight tests and additional training
2)licence issue
3)medical
4)grounschool material and tests
5)other hidden extras

also I am presuming that by basic premise is correct, i.e to do a charter on an N reg, that I do need this.

any info on this gratefully recieved
Old 12th Aug 2003, 17:51

Hey,
Get the software from Jeppesen, you cannot fail the knowledge test if you do the course. I think its called "Commercial Pilot" and it has both courses of study (fixed wing and heli). It's about $250.

I don't know where in the UK you can do the computer test but you can certainly do it in Cork in Ireland with South Aer (www.southaer.com) the guys name there is Scott.

If you already have the JAA stuff the FAA will allow you away with just a flight test to convert the licence, I don't think piggy back licences are allowed anymore after September 11th. The flight test costs about $250 I think too. A guy called Adam House is an FAA examiner in the UK, I don't have his number but if you want post back here and I'll get it for you.

That's all I know buddy!
Old 12th Aug 2003, 18:06

That's alright man I neglected to say about the medicals and that, the guy doing my test says technically you will be doing a ppl and cpl at the same time, but usually they wont ask you to do all the ppl stuff if you already have JAA licence. Then you send all the paperwork away together.
Old 12th Aug 2003, 22:38

Camp Freddie,

good luck in getting your FAA commercial but I don't know how you plan to do 'charters' in the UK with an N Reg a/c. It ain't legal unless the Dept for Transport grant a Permission......... that goes for both public transport and aerial work. For more info suggest you have a look at the ANO (Art 115 and 113)
Old 13th Aug 2003, 03:54

Mr Eagle,

yes please can I have Adam Houses number.

Mr Heliman,

thanks for that, that was exactly what I wanted to hear, the AOC holder that has an N reg, was telling me I can do, so I will do more research and read the ANO as advised as they are obviously confused as well.

do other peeps agree that it is not possible?

also thanks for the responses guys, just what I wanted
Old 17th Jan 2004, 06:38

Question FAA licence in UK and work

Hi Guy's,
I've just joined this forum today, got the site address from a friend of a friend. Just after a bit of advise really.

I've been looking into doing my PPL(H) for some time and started taking lessons about 2 months ago (really got the bug) but in 2 months I've only done 3 hours air time mainly due to typical weather and the instructor is sort of part time.
I've been looking into going to california and doing the PPL(H) training in a six week course. I know this will give me a FAA licence and not a JAA/CAA licence but can it be converted when I get back home???
The other thing is work. I would love to get into the industry and fly for a living but having read all your lots comments, it seems a bit of a tough task. Seems even once you have got your CPL(H) no-one will touch you until you've got 1000+ under your belt, but how do you get thoughs hours in the first place if no-one will employ you???
So what about the FAA training. Its only gonna cost £5'000 for PPL(H) and £16'000 for both PPL and CPL (I say only but its a lot less than back here in Britain). I know you've probibly had a million new hopefuls ask this question but it seems like a mine field out there, any comments guy's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance
Lightning Boy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.