PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Terms and Endearment (https://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment-38/)
-   -   Ryanair Cancelling flights! (https://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/599355-ryanair-cancelling-flights.html)

Sailvi767 18th Sep 2017 21:51

Pilot shortage at Ryanair.
 
Does anyone know the real story behind the flight cancelations. Did the company really not know the pilots had vacations coming or is Ryanair having retention or recruitment issues?

http://www.bnn.ca/ryanair-shares-tumble-as-airline-cancels-scores-of-flights-amid-pilot-shortage-1.859340

busybee123 18th Sep 2017 22:09


Originally Posted by Tommy Gavin (Post 9896097)
Why would you go from RYR to Norwegian? You are still a contractor. Money still isn't great. Benefits arent either. I mean, there must be better options right now?

Alot came over to Thomson in the last four years and many have since transferred onto 787 and 75/76 fleets.

GScapture 18th Sep 2017 22:27

Everything is :mad:. Especially the latest memo.

Norwegian careers

Walnut 18th Sep 2017 22:34

Buying back leave is not going to help if a pilot is on 900hrs the max rolling limit. In fact giving the pilot leave is the best option because each week off allows the pilot to move away from the 900hr max by circa 20hr for the week off.
I suspect MOL has been refusing leave slots through the summer, with all pilots now on 900hrs he has hit the buffers, he needs to recruit more. it will be very difficult to get out of this hole.

LH777 18th Sep 2017 22:52

"Ryanair cancelling flights due pilot leave" was on our morning national (Downunder!!) news earlier today. Quite brief but Ryanair blaming new leave requirements for pilots and pilots blaming lack of resource (pilot resource I guess from what I read on this thread).

skyloone 18th Sep 2017 22:57

Simple get out of hole plan on the way no doubt.....cancel more flights!
Have they been pulling guys out the training department to crew flights? If so that might increase the training backlog which slows entry of new guys... line training etc... Besides a new 73 rated pilot starting today now would only be available after ground school, sim, line training, 3 months time?

Skyjob 18th Sep 2017 22:59

http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearme...g-flights.html

A320ECAM 18th Sep 2017 23:03


Originally Posted by cowhorse (Post 9895915)
IMO this had more to do with politics (unions) than flight safety - Colgan Air is an example of an accident due to extreme fatigue not inexperience.

Actually, the cause of the crash was a result of icing on the wings. The pilots noticed the icing but failed to do anything about it as they believed it was safe. They also failed to react properly to the aircraft stalling.

Yes the flight crew were understandably fatigued but it was their lack of training (especially the captain's poor simulator performances) which caused that accident through and through.

Bayerische 18th Sep 2017 23:57

MOL's take on the pilot shortage........listen to the arrogance just 12 months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ytmFxB1ec

tubby linton 19th Sep 2017 00:13

Irish newspaper believes RYR have lost 700 pilots in the last financial year..https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...25145?mode=amp

Can737 19th Sep 2017 01:02

It is already make no sense to pay for your type rating in order to work, but even more ridiculous if you have airline experience.

BizJetJockey 19th Sep 2017 04:19

Don't EZY do the same!? Even DECs still have to stump up the cash don't they?
Norwegian ask for the same initially however pay it back over three years so if you do your time it isn't so bad from what I heard.

cowhorse 19th Sep 2017 04:41


Originally Posted by A320ECAM (Post 9896185)
Yes the flight crew were understandably fatigued but it was their lack of training (especially the captain's poor simulator performances) which caused that accident through and through.

Captain had 3000+FT, and would thus not be affected by the 'new' 1500h rule. And fatigue was definitely they main catalyst.

Whenever we talk about FR it's the same debate about guys with 200h in the cockpit and a disaster waiting to happen. P2F is immoral (and in many countries probably illegal), but it simply doesn't have anything to do with safety. I understand why unions are against it (and I support them), but the safety angle is BS.

silverelise 19th Sep 2017 06:21

Hello folks, apologies for butting in with an SLF type question but I am trying to comprehend the core issue amongst all the debate here. Is it the case that the problem has been triggered because Ryan Air had to change their concept of calendar year to be an actual calendar year rather than their company year, causing pilots to have reached/exceeded their 900hrs / year limit due to having to include hours from Q1?

TheMightyAtom 19th Sep 2017 06:44


Originally Posted by silverelise (Post 9896408)
Hello folks, apologies for butting in with an SLF type question but I am trying to comprehend the core issue amongst all the debate here. Is it the case that the problem has been triggered because Ryan Air had to change their concept of calendar year to be an actual calendar year rather than their company year, causing pilots to have reached/exceeded their 900hrs / year limit due to having to include hours from Q1?

That is the party line however many of us speculate it's a bit of a stretch and they're simply short of pilots. So instead of acknowledging that they're insidiously saying "pilots are cancelling your holidays so they can have their own!"... thereby setting up a strawman for the future.

(Disclaimer: post is entirely speculative and is not an attempt at a statement of fact)

littco 19th Sep 2017 07:17

Share price
 
400million wiped off yesterday..

1billion today?!

larochoux 19th Sep 2017 07:22


Originally Posted by RudderTrimZero (Post 9895777)
And right till this day experienced FOs are being charged 35,000 for a TR that costs the company no more than $12,000. RYR deserves everything it gets.

It is so absurd as well as cadet recruitment process. Recruitment fee - 460 EUR just for possibility of start in recruitment process. Who has heard of such practice in any company in the world?

The recruitment process itself costs 300 hr cadets over 1000 euros (recruitment cost, simulator hire + tickets). In the meantime, Wizzair and other airlines funds the entire recruitment process, provide tickets for recruitment, hotels and give you a pernament contract of employment (with paid annual leave, insurance etc.).

Ryanair treats pilots (I speak from the perspective of the person looking for the first airline job) like piggy banks, wishing from them nearly 40,000 euros for training worth 15-20k euros.

They are loudly advertise to the world the launch of the "revolutionary" APC program, which is worse than the competition proposal which has been offering it for several years and does not require a huge contribution.

I am writing this only from the perspective of the person looking for the first job as the pilot. Maybe our correspondent from the BBC will use this point of view.

smith 19th Sep 2017 07:26


Originally Posted by Greenlights (Post 9896080)
People will always pay, even if more expensive.
Travelling by air is not for poor. Sound harsh, but to me, poor take a car not a plane. No need to pay 20 euros for a flight. even 200eu is cheap actually and anybody can afford it by saving some money.

As MOL says people are queuing up to get paid 120k a year for 20hours a week.

smith 19th Sep 2017 07:28


Originally Posted by JetpoweredMigrantWkr (Post 9895657)
It was Colgan Air Flight 3407.
Now, you must have 1500hrs min to get hired anywhere in the USA.

They are working hard in the US to get this returned back to 200hours.

Usaf 19th Sep 2017 07:34


Originally Posted by littco (Post 9896427)
400million wiped off yesterday..

1billion today?!

Where did You get this info? It seems a loro 400 mln...


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:30.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.