Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Terms and Endearment
Reload this Page >

Brexit/ACMI/Lack of UK recruitment

Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Brexit/ACMI/Lack of UK recruitment

Old 15th Jul 2022, 18:26
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: uk
Posts: 902
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We’ve been receiving CVs for RHS 767 TR and NTR throughout this year and continue to recruit, select and train for that. I guess when CVs continue to drop on the mat you don’t need to advertise.
deltahotel is online now  
Old 15th Jul 2022, 18:30
  #22 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by macdo View Post
From what I can see, almost everyone I know who didn't have a job last year has now got one. Mostly they even have jobs that they want. The ramp up in recruitment of experienced pilots really got going mid winter, and from what I hear, getting peeps properly checked and in their seats is taking a long time. I would guess, as is always the way, those with the least experience find it hardest at the back of the queue.

Maybe Im missing something.... but from keeping an eye on the job boards daily the fact remains there are little to no jobs advertised for UK licensed pilots, despite demand coming back towards 2019 levels.

Of the ones that have been advertised recently;

OneAir - 74 Cargo job - 65K a year, 3 yr bond, needed to be near London. No non rated Dec positions and even if there were they were offering 85k for a Cpt.

TUI FO's- wanted to take 7k out of the pay for a 6 month contract!!

Titan - wanted EASA Licence holders.

Few private jet jobs - contacts based.

Like I said above, maybe Im missing something and would be really grateful if you can point me in the direction of where these jobs are advertised, because Im not seeing much at all! Thanks
Mrmorreti is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2022, 18:31
  #23 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deltahotel View Post
We’ve been receiving CVs for RHS 767 TR and NTR throughout this year and continue to recruit, select and train for that. I guess when CVs continue to drop on the mat you don’t need to advertise.

Mine went in a while ago through a mate... fingers crossed something comes of it at some stage. Cheers for the heads up, good to know things still moving.
Mrmorreti is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2022, 18:33
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: uk
Posts: 902
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My guess (and it’s just that) is that with a lot of pilots looking for a small number of jobs, most airlines will have plenty of CVs sent in so no ads needed. It always helps if you know someone in an airline to give a recommend.
deltahotel is online now  
Old 15th Jul 2022, 18:34
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: uk
Posts: 902
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggest you ask your mate to check progress? Recruiting/selection team is small with a big workload
deltahotel is online now  
Old 15th Jul 2022, 19:31
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: NA
Posts: 50
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACMI starts to become more for cost cutting than to provide additional capacity for airlines. Both aspect play significant role however considering most ACMI pilots are contractors without any kind of social and health insurance, no job guarantee, no income tax payment, I believe crewing at least %50 cheaper for ACMI airlines comparing to UK airlines. UK should never allow any type of non UK service providers as long as majority of UK pilots and UK registered aircrafts back to flying. This should be as well natural reflex for any other EU countries as they must protect their own pilot community and airlines against ACMI companies' grey (illegal) way of doing business.
uberfly is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2022, 21:16
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 351
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are still next to no jobs for UK pilots. Ditto those caught in between with an EASA license and UK citizenship.

Bad planning I hear you say? Not quite, the UK CAA are taking their sweet time and up until earlier this year it was not 100% clear how the EASA/UK thing was going to play out. Even those who did apply last year only received their licenses recently due to the backlog. The CAA seem to be almost proud of their lengthy processing times at this point judging by my communications with them.

Perhaps there should be a thread pointing to all these UK jobs because on and off the forum people talk about them, but when asked to actually point to them they don't seem to be able to. It's like non aviation friends and family being shocked you're still unemployed because "the airports are all packed" .. it's a misguided assumption based on hype.

Wasn't there once a saying about the true sign of an active recruitment market being when BA hire??
A320LGW is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2022, 21:47
  #28 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW View Post

Wasn't there once a saying about the true sign of an active recruitment market being when BA hire??
https://simpleflying.com/british-air...-lease-routes/

BA are already using wet lease whilst they try and rehire a chunk of the guys they fired in 2020 into BA Lite on significantly reduced T&C's!! Couldn't make it up. And before the smart arse comments roll in again... yes I know its a oneworld thing - it is however allowing BA to fly their summer schedule using non UK crews and removing the necessity to recruit pilots, many of whom were made redundant from BA and now have their old jobs being done by our European cousins.

There is absolutely no doubt that the amount of ACMI going on in the UK right now is allowing airlines to be very conservative with their pilot numbers and as such detrimental to the pool of unemployed UK pilots.
Mrmorreti is offline  
Old 16th Jul 2022, 13:51
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you hold a UK with TP hours you have no hope. 750 odd pilots dumped by Flybe and just from my close 20ish I stayed in contact with 16 aren’t in aviation at all. Hours range from 700-8000hrs no shortage of experience.

Last year I got EASA to go with my UK and gaining jet hours at the moment. UK and TP is useless at the moment. Well there are some positions in Africa on Q400 if anyones interested…..
AIMINGHIGH123 is online now  
Old 16th Jul 2022, 15:59
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: aaa
Posts: 214
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitemonk Returns View Post
I haven't heard anything to say they aren't and I'm sure their will be a certain level of TR recruitment from abroad if required but logic would suggest those already with a UK license are going to be at the front of the que. I could be completely wrong but speaking to a friend at the assessment last week he said there was about 25 pilots from Loganair on his day alone. And they are doing 3 a week.

The sim check is the real decider though, if you have gotten through to interview you have already been pre selected by HR and unless you are way off the reservation the pilot interview is very straight forward.

One last thing is the candidates will get offered based on overall score, if someone interviews later but scores higher they will get offered first, 'thems the breaks' as flop head would say
J2 are doing 3 assessments a week? 😱

Not heard a peep nor anyone I know has...
SpamCanDriver is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2022, 12:42
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: aaa
Posts: 214
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whalejet View Post
This isn't true.
It did sound a bit much, maybe he meant some different?

I had heard they were concentrating on Airbus recruitment first
SpamCanDriver is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2022, 21:57
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: germany
Posts: 34
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrmorreti View Post
Re ACMI - fair enough and I do understand from a business perspective. However the point remains re our soft government who are allowing UK licensed pilots to be disadvantaged by allowing EU ACMI operators access to the UK market.

Re J2 recruitment - UK licensed 73 Cpt, 6000+ hrs. Not heard a thing.
The UK People voted for this, despite all warnings. So maybe less crying now.
LowPassGliderA330 is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2022, 23:02
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 351
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowPassGliderA330 View Post
The UK People voted for this, despite all warnings. So maybe less crying now.
"The UK people" did not vote for an agreement whereby foreign pilots can fly within the UK at the expense of British pilots.

Even at that, the referendum was mighty close and the only solid turnout was from those who felt strongly enough about it (I.e. bought into the red bus propaganda). The vast majority were complacent and didn't bother voting, not believing it was ever actually going to happen. Without any shadow of a doubt another referendum today would yield a different result.
A320LGW is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2022, 01:00
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 74
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrmorreti View Post
Maybe Im missing something.... but from keeping an eye on the job boards daily the fact remains there are little to no jobs advertised for UK licensed pilots, despite demand coming back towards 2019 levels.

Of the ones that have been advertised recently;

OneAir - 74 Cargo job - 65K a year, 3 yr bond, needed to be near London. No non rated Dec positions and even if there were they were offering 85k for a Cpt.

TUI FO's- wanted to take 7k out of the pay for a 6 month contract!!

Titan - wanted EASA Licence holders.

Few private jet jobs - contacts based.

Like I said above, maybe Im missing something and would be really grateful if you can point me in the direction of where these jobs are advertised, because Im not seeing much at all! Thanks
Add Wizz to this, who are looking both for EASA and UK license holders.

May not suit everyone long term but it's a good company to get jet hours and command quite quickly. Training capacity is the main issue in WZZ/WUK at the moment.
FGE319 is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2022, 07:32
  #35 (permalink)  
SW1
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 457
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FGE319 View Post
Add Wizz to this, who are looking both for EASA and UK license holders.

May not suit everyone long term but it's a good company to get jet hours and command quite quickly. Training capacity is the main issue in WZZ/WUK at the moment.
could also add Lauda Europe to this mix as well. Desperate for UK residents with EASA licences and A320 rated
SW1 is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2022, 08:02
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North of the M4
Posts: 328
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SW1 View Post
could also add Lauda Europe to this mix as well. Desperate for UK residents with EASA licences and A320 rated
And that sums up the stupidity of the situation thanks to the decision to leave EASA for purely ideological flag shagging reasons. There will not be any airlines anywhere in Europe requiring a UK licence and the right to live and work in the EU and yet our masters have come up with a situation where an EASA licence is a requirement for a job based in the UK because EU registered aircraft are allowed to be based in the UK. Industry and the CAA didn't want to leave EASA, they could see no advantage to doing so. Shapps will claim it was so that we could diverge on regulation but other than the possibility off a few minor rule changes for GA what parts of safety regulation does he think we are going to go it alone on?

Already the CAA have announced that they are going to fully align with new regulations for UAV's so what was the point? UK pilots have been completely stitched up by this Government.
biddedout is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2022, 09:07
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 696
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely correct biddedout. The odious and oily Shapps has completely sold the UK pilot group out. He holds an FAA licence to fly an N reg aircraft in the UK. Hypocrisy in the red zone even for a politician.
olster is online now  
Old 18th Jul 2022, 09:36
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 34
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FGE319 View Post
Add Wizz to this, who are looking both for EASA and UK license holders.

May not suit everyone long term but it's a good company to get jet hours and command quite quickly. Training capacity is the main issue in WZZ/WUK at the moment.

They are and I understand they need people, however I had the offer of a non rated assessment, couldn't make the date offered, now no way of rebooking and no reply from their recruitment team. Ridiculous.
YosserHughes is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2022, 09:44
  #39 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biddedout View Post
And that sums up the stupidity of the situation thanks to the decision to leave EASA for purely ideological flag shagging reasons. There will not be any airlines anywhere in Europe requiring a UK licence and the right to live and work in the EU and yet our masters have come up with a situation where an EASA licence is a requirement for a job based in the UK because EU registered aircraft are allowed to be based in the UK. Industry and the CAA didn't want to leave EASA, they could see no advantage to doing so. Shapps will claim it was so that we could diverge on regulation but other than the possibility off a few minor rule changes for GA what parts of safety regulation does he think we are going to go it alone on?

Already the CAA have announced that they are going to fully align with new regulations for UAV's so what was the point? UK pilots have been completely stitched up by this Government.

Absolutely correct.

I have given it some thought and can't come up with any other industry where those at the pointy end, responsible for so much and open to such intense scrutiny have been screwed to such an extent.


Mrmorreti is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2022, 09:58
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: uk
Posts: 901
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrmorreti View Post
Maybe Im missing something.... but from keeping an eye on the job boards daily the fact remains there are little to no jobs advertised for UK licensed pilots, despite demand coming back towards 2019 levels.

Of the ones that have been advertised recently;

OneAir - 74 Cargo job - 65K a year, 3 yr bond, needed to be near London. No non rated Dec positions and even if there were they were offering 85k for a Cpt.

TUI FO's- wanted to take 7k out of the pay for a 6 month contract!!

Titan - wanted EASA Licence holders.

Few private jet jobs - contacts based.

Like I said above, maybe Im missing something and would be really grateful if you can point me in the direction of where these jobs are advertised, because Im not seeing much at all! Thanks
TBH I think you are knit picking. Anyone that has been in the industry for 30 years will tell you of fallow periods where there were absolutely no jobs anywhere for UK pilots, let alone adverts for them. Post Air Europe, post 9-11 being two that easily come to mind. The current drought lasted 2 years during covid, but even during that there was hiring going on, although often through word of mouth. During the last year all the ads u list and more have popped up on various threads and more. So, yes, many required EASA, so I know quite a few peeps who have transferred at cost, or poorly paid, but at least you're keeping current or out of the UK. None of it is easy, it never was. . Its not worth the sweat worrying over ACMI, or fairness. All that went out the window 30 years ago.I hope you can keep plugging away and find the job you want.
macdo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.