Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

EK versus BA

Old 12th Jun 2019, 00:49
  #41 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Under the table
Posts: 188
It's a moot point anyway if the accommodation allowance isn't available to new joiners.
Stocious is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2019, 04:50
  #42 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: In my garden
Age: 100
Posts: 131
Originally Posted by Stocious View Post
It's a moot point anyway if the accommodation allowance isn't available to new joiners.
Remains available to those who have purchased in the city.
Yorkshire_Pudding is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2019, 08:24
  #43 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Escaped the sandpit 53° 32′ 9.19″ N, 9° 50′ 13.29″ E
Posts: 596
Originally Posted by PorridgeStirrer View Post


32k AED plus 14k AED accommodation allowance totals 46k AED, which at today’s rate is €11,050/£9,850.
Standard is Company accommodation, either a flat or a villa. The only way to get the allowance in cash is if you buy a property in Dubai.
ExDubai is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2019, 08:28
  #44 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Escaped the sandpit 53° 32′ 9.19″ N, 9° 50′ 13.29″ E
Posts: 596
Originally Posted by Ex-Brazilian View Post
Just out of curiosity, about buying property in Dubai... of course it sounds interesting to get a "free house from the airline"
But how easy is to sell it when you decide is time to go home? And also putting 100k from your own money in such a unstable market... sounds discouraging. I'm not sure if I would take this allowance instead of the company accomodation. Not to mention, if you get in trouble in Dubai or EK, you will end up with a huge debt.
Yepp, a lot of guys learned it the hard way. I’d think twice to purchase in Dubai. The current political climate in the region isn‘t helpful.
ExDubai is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2019, 12:44
  #45 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Moscow Hotel
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by ExDubai View Post

Standard is Company accommodation, either a flat or a villa. The only way to get the allowance in cash is if you buy a property in Dubai.
Not strictly true. If you join from an another Dubai based operator, you can continue to claim the allowance.

But if hard cash is the motivator, you’d be better off joining flydubai in the first place. (Upgrade at 2.5 years). Especially for a stint under 10 years.
PorridgeStirrer is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2019, 13:26
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 847
Originally Posted by Yorkshire_Pudding View Post
I think If you outright reject the BA course offer for another job, you wont be offered re-assessment in the future. That door could be firmly closed.

Ps. Please come back and tell us what you have decided!
Is that an official policy? If it is then BA sounds charming. You might have a million valid reasons for turning them down at that point. If the door is to remain closed after that, then is that the kind of company you want to work for?
giggitygiggity is online now  
Old 12th Jun 2019, 15:54
  #47 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: In my garden
Age: 100
Posts: 131
Originally Posted by giggitygiggity View Post
Is that an official policy? If it is then BA sounds charming. You might have a million valid reasons for turning them down at that point. If the door is to remain closed after that, then is that the kind of company you want to work for?
A colleague turned them down, then applied again a year later with no joy. Like you say, everyone’s circumstances will be different.
Yorkshire_Pudding is offline  
Old 15th Jun 2019, 20:34
  #48 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Doctor's waiting room
Posts: 657
To put it as simply as I can, go to BA if you want more control over your lifestyle, or go to EK if you want quicker career progression and/or a greater ability to earn more sooner. However, as has already been said, EK is no longer as financially lucrative as it used to be.

Emma Royds is offline  
Old 17th Jun 2019, 19:21
  #49 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: everywhere
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by Emma Royds View Post
To put it as simply as I can, go to BA if you want more control over your lifestyle, or go to EK if you want quicker career progression and/or a greater ability to earn more sooner. However, as has already been said, EK is no longer as financially lucrative as it used to be.

except junior bods have next to no control under JSS now.
xwindflirt is offline  
Old 17th Jun 2019, 19:51
  #50 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South of the North pole
Posts: 266
Originally Posted by xwindflirt View Post

except junior bods have next to no control under JSS now.
Exactly!! Probably a good few years before it becomes worthwhile as well, might as well have earned a lot more money with EK even though they have their problems as well.

Simply put, BA is no longer what they used to be, the airline has been destroyed.
Daddy Fantastic is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 05:56
  #51 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by xwindflirt View Post

except junior bods have next to no control under JSS now.
Thats utter cr*p. You may have less control, you still have control enough to shape your roster. If you are talking about wanting x trip on y day, sure. But if you want to build a block of free days, drop a trip in exchange for earned credit, or want a particular destination, a combination of smart bidding and trip swaps can give you this. 😎
VinRouge is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 06:47
  #52 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Doctor's waiting room
Posts: 657
Originally Posted by xwindflirt View Post

except junior bods have next to no control under JSS now.
Regardless of what bid system is in use at BA, there is Part Time working available and EK refuses to embrace this concept. For that reason alone, lifestyle at BA wins comfortably.
Emma Royds is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 08:12
  #53 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: uk
Posts: 518
Originally Posted by xwindflirt View Post

except junior bods have next to no control under JSS now.
im junior and I have control....
OBK! is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 08:27
  #54 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: somewhere hot and sticky
Age: 40
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by xwindflirt View Post

except junior bods have next to no control under JSS now.
I am extremely junior (>90% down my list) and what makes it bearable is the swapping. I get nothing i want from JSS but can often get a good roster by swapping. It helps living close to base and being flexible.
Dupre is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 17:22
  #55 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Escaped the sandpit 53° 32′ 9.19″ N, 9° 50′ 13.29″ E
Posts: 596
Originally Posted by xwindflirt View Post

except junior bods have next to no control under JSS now.
Same like EK
ExDubai is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 17:33
  #56 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: UAE
Posts: 962
Originally Posted by ExDubai View Post

Same like EK
Senior Bods have not control at EK. We do not have a bidding system, we have a "roster optimisation system". Optimised for the company that is, not the crew.

BA vs. EK? I can't believe anybody can even ask the question.
BigGeordie is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 19:21
  #57 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Escaped the sandpit 53° 32′ 9.19″ N, 9° 50′ 13.29″ E
Posts: 596
Originally Posted by BigGeordie View Post
Senior Bods have not control at EK. We do not have a bidding system, we have a "roster optimisation system". Optimised for the company that is, not the crew.

BA vs. EK? I can't believe anybody can even ask the question.
Yepp, forgot to mention that there is no big difference between junior and senior @EK.

ExDubai is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 22:43
  #58 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by Dupre View Post
I am extremely junior (>90% down my list) and what makes it bearable is the swapping. I get nothing i want from JSS but can often get a good roster by swapping. It helps living close to base and being flexible.
Roster swapping does indeed help to mitigate the failings of JSS for the juniors. Successfully doing so however means being married to your iPad and obsessively checking every single open time notification to get something satisfactory (because let's face it, no-one's going to swap their midweek LCA for your weekend 2 day 6). For me as a junior, the hours I spend trying to piece together a sensible roster probably rise into double digits every month.

I don't know much about EK - the Middle East has never appealed (yet). But JSS is certainly making those in the lower third of BA's ranks (myself included) think long and hard about whether it's worth it any more. BA have historically always paid less than the competitors in the early years, but have instead offered lifestyle options and a decent pay-scale, pension and rostering system. I'd argue at least 3 out of 4 of those no longer exist.

Personally I think if you're young, and can afford to sacrifice 5 years of your life, BA might still be worth it in the long run - IF you want long haul. Bear in mind however - as mentioned elsewhere, the company want long haul trips to become 24 hour night stops in airport hotels. If that happens, there'll be no point whatsoever.

Last edited by FACoff; 18th Jun 2019 at 22:56.
FACoff is offline  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 07:59
  #59 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: somewhere hot and sticky
Age: 40
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by FACoff View Post
Roster swapping does indeed help to mitigate the failings of JSS for the juniors. Successfully doing so however means being married to your iPad and obsessively checking every single open time notification to get something satisfactory (because let's face it, no-one's going to swap their midweek LCA for your weekend 2 day 6). For me as a junior, the hours I spend trying to piece together a sensible roster probably rise into double digits every month.
A very, very good point!

Mrs. Dupre gets quite annoyed at the amount of time I'm glued to the ipad.

Last edited by Dupre; 19th Jun 2019 at 08:27.
Dupre is offline  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 08:50
  #60 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by Dupre View Post
A very, very good point!

Mrs. Dupre gets quite annoyed at the amount of time I'm glued to the ipad.
are other option is spending double digits hours on a trip which doesn’t work for you. Shotgun approach to trip swaps seems to work well via iBid messaging.
VinRouge is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.