Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Terms and Endearment
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Long Haul Roster

Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Norwegian Long Haul Roster

Old 5th Mar 2018, 18:51
  #81 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mordor
Posts: 294
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
As in no more hiring on the 787, shutting down FLL base or what? To axe all courses has to mean something rather drastic.
I donít have any insider info, however my application, which had been floating around for 2+years has recently been officially rejected - even though I ticked all the boxes and and have all the required experience.

Either they donít like me, or they donít need pilots...
Sidestick_n_Rudder is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2018, 19:12
  #82 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Limbo
Posts: 1
Norwegian are fully crewed for 2018, simple as that.

Last edited by directmisbi; 5th Mar 2018 at 21:45.
directmisbi is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2018, 20:03
  #83 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 156
787

Originally Posted by Smooth Airperator View Post
Solenoid are you type rated? Which seat?

I passed selection in October and despite saying I am available to every single course start date (except one) I have still not been offered one 5 months later. I haven't even been offered June.

NTR FO 4000 hrs. Anyone similar position?
I know of a couple guys like that. Ready to go but getting pushed back. Now they are doing 787 FAA ratings only in Miami for 787 pilots and if you have an EASA licence you are delayed. Go figure.
Luggage is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2018, 20:04
  #84 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 156
Bases

Originally Posted by Sidestick_n_Rudder View Post
I donít have any insider info, however my application, which had been floating around for 2+years has recently been officially rejected - even though I ticked all the boxes and and have all the required experience.

Either they donít like me, or they donít need pilots...
Which base did you apply for? What are your qualifications?
Luggage is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2018, 20:16
  #85 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 156
Originally Posted by Direct Bondi View Post
On 4 March, 2015, Dagbladet news reported comments by SEPLA President, Javier Martinez de Velasco;

ďPilots must be employed by an airline and cannot be hired from an external crew companyĒ

ďThe bosses and the office workers, and even the ground staff can be hired out, but not the pilotsĒ

Article link:
https://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/nor...leger/60704442

SEPLA recently signed a collective agreement with Norwegian Air Resources, effectively accepting its members flying for Norwegian are temporary and rented service industry employees and not airline employees. Furthermore, with no union representation to the airline Ė their real employer.
Will be interesting to see what happens with the 787 pilot group. I can see another RYR scenario with pilots leaving in droves wiith 1000 plus hours on type and taking their skillset into the contract market if they dont eventually get representation and a decent contract. Pay rates are very low compared to what they should be for a 787 pilot with experience and 5000 plus hours.

Market favours the pilot group now and with the US set to suck in a lot expat pilots back home plus the retirements there will be a lot of openings. I dont work at NAS and cannot comment on the day to day life, satisfaction or happiness levels of a pilot.

Pilots will realise a great opportunity when it comes their way. It may be a great place to work now with a lot of satisfied people however start throwing the $ at pilots and they will up sticks and move.

The Asian contract market is set to explode and the 787 experience will be super useful.

Of course I could be wrong and this is the way forward but I wont be putting all my eggs in one basket...not just yet anyways.
Luggage is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2018, 20:22
  #86 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 156
Originally Posted by TangoAlphad View Post
Probably because he is just ranting on and people are just fed up listening to it.

Yes, everyone at Norwegian would prefer to be directly employed. I donít think anyone denies that but it is where we are and I donít see it changing. It isnít the best arrangement out there for sure but it isnít the worst and it is becoming more and more common.

Bondi and a few others have obviously had issues with Norwegian in the past and that is a shame but thousands of others donít. I know guys who have had issues and been dismissed from major UK/EU carriers who have been very much directly employed... I donít think the employment situation was the reason for the termination in any of the scenarios. I think If you are gonna get fired you will be getting fired one way or another, it doesnít matter in which way you were removed from the position.

I am very happy at norwegian and 99% of the people I meet at work are all very happy with the company also. It is a low cost carrier so it isnít perfect but it is a lot nicer place to work than others. They are an airline and need to achieve things occasionally so yes you may end up arguing with planning or Crewing etc if they ask you to go somewhere but if there has been an issue at home etc if you pick up the phone and calls the right dept it is usually a very helpful and considerate response.

It is a different company to that of the past, it is a nice place to work although not perfect.
In fairness to Bondi or anybody else that may have been ranting on about NAS, they seem to be posting links and information regarding issues at NAS which must be discussed.

In fairness to you I will take you at your word as a happy employee and believe you when you say there has been improvements made and a lot of happy people work there.

However this FLL 787 scenario and course date issue seems a little suspect. It is because I know of pilots there now doing the rating that are still in the dark as to what is going on which seems a little odd to me.

However time will tell whether this venture will work or not. NAS must have done something right to be where they are today and clearly people like you are happy there so I will be interested to see what others say going forward.
Luggage is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2018, 20:58
  #87 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,025
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
In fairness to Bondi or anybody else that may have been ranting on about NAS, they seem to be posting links and information regarding issues at NAS which must be discussed.

In fairness to you I will take you at your word as a happy employee and believe you when you say there has been improvements made and a lot of happy people work there.

However this FLL 787 scenario and course date issue seems a little suspect. It is because I know of pilots there now doing the rating that are still in the dark as to what is going on which seems a little odd to me.

However time will tell whether this venture will work or not. NAS must have done something right to be where they are today and clearly people like you are happy there so I will be interested to see what others say going forward.
More interested to see how NAS plan to staff their fleet if there is a hiatus on recruitment. They are adding something like another 18 787-9's by 2021. Kinda suggests to me that the rumour is guff.


Last edited by VinRouge; 5th Mar 2018 at 21:29.
VinRouge is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2018, 21:12
  #88 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 156
NAS Graphic

Where did you get the NAS graphic. I would like to read the accompanying article if there is one.
Luggage is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2018, 21:23
  #89 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,025
Q4 Interim Financial Report, presentation.

https://www.norwegian.com/globalasse...esentation.pdf

Financials detail here:

https://www.norwegian.com/globalasse...017-report.pdf

All reports:

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/about/c...presentations/

Happy to help.
VinRouge is offline  
Old 6th Mar 2018, 07:08
  #90 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: High n Blighty
Posts: 114
Not so fast. Norwegian could abandon the UK if the trans Atlantic open skies is not resolved.
Search for Open skies in Todays The Sun:


http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5733920...o-leave-europe
The Crew is offline  
Old 6th Mar 2018, 10:46
  #91 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sussex
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by The Crew View Post
Not so fast. Norwegian could abandon the UK if the trans Atlantic open skies is not resolved.
Search for Open skies in Todays The Sun:


http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5733920...o-leave-europe
As could BA, VS, BY, MT, AA, UA, DL .....

Originally Posted by Luggage View Post

However this FLL 787 scenario and course date issue seems a little suspect. It is because I know of pilots there now doing the rating that are still in the dark as to what is going on which seems a little odd to me.

You have said they are on a type rating, and have a contract so what exactly are they in the dark about?
Gulf Julliet Papa is offline  
Old 6th Mar 2018, 12:37
  #92 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London
Age: 40
Posts: 119
How much money can they afford to burn before investors are getting worried? They really increased the burning of money now with a load factor down by 2.0% and a RASK down by 6%:

NewsWeb
Jumbo2 is offline  
Old 6th Mar 2018, 13:16
  #93 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Limbo
Posts: 1
DNB market analysts came out today saying they expect an EBITDA of minus 223 mill for 2018, and a plus of 1,2 billion for 2019.
directmisbi is offline  
Old 6th Mar 2018, 13:37
  #94 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: EU
Posts: 80
Originally Posted by directmisbi View Post
DNB market analysts came out today saying they expect an EBITDA of minus 223 mill for 2018, and a plus of 1,2 billion for 2019.
Source? Maybe a link?
iome is offline  
Old 7th Mar 2018, 05:27
  #95 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 156
You have said they are on a type rating, and have a contract so what exactly are they in the dark about?[/QUOTE]

About FLL and whether it is viable as a base and will become fully operational!
Luggage is offline  
Old 7th Mar 2018, 08:51
  #96 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sussex
Posts: 153
Im not sure what you term or deem fully operational? It has been a cabin crew base for about 2/3 years, and now also a pilot base for I guess about a year. Your friend applied to be a pilot based in FLL. In terms of aircraft, you could say none are based, but your friend will start/finish his duty in FLL on one of the 14 or so weekly departures/arrivals.
Gulf Julliet Papa is offline  
Old 10th Mar 2018, 22:02
  #97 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 156
FLL

Why are no aircraft based in FLL? My understanding is this was suppossed to happen but has not.
Luggage is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2018, 09:09
  #98 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The rock
Posts: 250
Norwegian keeps normally 787 around 2h on the ground during the turn...
matt283 is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2018, 09:17
  #99 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sussex
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Why are no aircraft based in FLL? My understanding is this was suppossed to happen but has not.
I *think* it was only ever announced as a crew base? I'd suspect if you had an aircraft "Based" there it would lead to poor utilisation, FLL > Europe is a fairly short sector compared to most.
Gulf Julliet Papa is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2018, 17:39
  #100 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 156
Originally Posted by Gulf Julliet Papa View Post
I *think* it was only ever announced as a crew base? I'd suspect if you had an aircraft "Based" there it would lead to poor utilisation, FLL > Europe is a fairly short sector compared to most.
Im not so sure about that. I am fairly certain they were suppossed to base aircraft there. They were also to allow FAA pilots to fly the aircraft whilst studying for the EASA which has also failed to materialise.

Like I said the pilots I know who are training are being kept in the dark about certain aspects of this job. It seems that NAS themselves are not too confident on this whole FLL situation working out.

The pilots I know are training and asking questions whilst being given very vague answers. OSM does not seem to be reliable as a contract agency at all either.

For this to work they will need to base aircraft in the US along with maintenance or it just becomes to expensive and non reliable. Just like the 2017 season of constantly having to hire aircraft from operators like Wamos Air (Spanish) and others.
Luggage is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.